History of the Town of
Canterbury, New Hampshire
By James Otis Lyford,
Editor of History of Concord, N.H.
Author of the Life of Edward H. Rollins
In Two Volumes
DAVIS to DRISCOLL
[transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
Prepared by N. W. Davis of Winchester, Mass.
The Davises of Canterbury sprang from the early family of that name who settled in Newbury and Haverhill, Mass., and a branch of which migrated to Dover during the first days of our New England colonization. The family suffered severely from the attacks of the Indians. During the years 1693 to 1725 no less than ten fell at the hands of the savages, while three or more were made to endure the hardships and cruelties of long captivity. At the Oyster River massacre of 1694 the entire family of Ensign John Davis, Jr., was wiped out, his house being burned to the ground, himself, wife and at least three children slain, and two daughters taken captive into Canada.
The emigrant ancestor, James(1) Davis, was b., according to Bible records, in Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, and, as nearly as can be ascertained from other records, about 1589. He emigrated to New England as early as 1634, settling first at Newbury (now Newburyport), Mass., where he was made freeman 4 March 1634-5. In 1640, having received authority from the General Court, he, with eleven others, cleared the forest at the Indian village of Pentucket, and founded the present city of Haverhill, Mass. He was among the first selectmen chosen by the town, in 1646, and on the list of taxpayers for that year he is shown to have been the largest. In 1660 he was made representative to the General Court. He was an ardent Puritan, in mute testimony of which
still reposes in the files of the Ipswich Court a record wherein he, his son Ephraim, and several others signed a paper presented to the court in Feb., 1659, accusing John Godfry of Andover of witchcraft. He d. at Haverhill 29 Jan., 1679. Of his wife, Cecily, very little is known. Her name appears frequently in early Norfolk records, and she is claimed by Bible records to have also been b. in Marlborough, England. She d. at Haverhill, 28 May, 1673. Children:
2. ENSIGN JOHN(2) DAVIS (James(1)) of Haverhill, Mass., and Dover, was b., according to Bible records, in Marlborough, England, and according to a deposition made in later years, about 1623. He came to New England probably with his father as early as 1634, first living at Newbury, then at Haverhill, Mass., where he owned land in 1642. In 1650 he was chosen on a committee to lay out the boundary between Haverhill and Salisbury, and in 1652 received a grant of six acres of land in Haverhill. During that year, or early in 1653, he removed to Dover, where he took up lands near the mouth of Oyster River and built the first Davis garrison in New Hampshire. This garrison stood on the north side of the river, immediately west of what has since been known as Davis' Creek, on land conveyed to him by Valentine Hill, Aug. 14, 1654. He purchased further land of said Hill in Greenland, and received numerous grants from the town of Dover. He was selectman of Dover, surveyor of lands, member prudential committee, clerk of the market, member jury of trials and constable. He was made freeman 23 May, 1666, and was one of the signers to petition to have Oyster River made a separate township in 1669. He was among those who were declared dispossessed of their property by Cranfield in 1684 and signed the petition to James II repudiating Cranfield in 1685. In the military organization of the province he was an ensign, and bore that title as early as April, 1662. He m. at Haverhill, 10 Dec., 1646, Jane, dau. of Rev. Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Peasley, and d. at Oyster River between 1 April, 1685, and 25 May, 1686, the respective dates on which his will was made and proved. Children:
3. COL. JAMES(3) DAVIS (John(2), James(1)) of Oyster River, Dover (now Durham) was b. at the garrison at Oyster River, 23 May, 1662. He m. 1 Oct., 1688, Elizabeth, dau. of Capt. Thomas and Elizabeth (Thomas) Chesley of Oyster River, and d. at the garrison, which he inherited from his father, 8 Sept., 1749. His career was one of marked activity and leadership, and shows him to have been a man of superior capabilities. He was prominent in both military and civil life. He received numerous grants of land in the territory now covered by Dover, Durham and Madbury, and in the later townships which were granted during the years 1722 to 1737, among which were Rochester, Barnstead, Canterbury and Bow. In C. he received, in the first division of land, No. 199 of the forty acre lots, and one or more of the 100 acre lots in the same division. All of his C. holdings at the time of his death were willed to his daughter, Elizabeth Hicks. Each of his five sons, James,
Thomas, Samuel, Daniel and Ephraim, were among the grantees of C. in 1727, as were his brother, Sergeant Joseph Davis, and the latter's son Joseph, and Jabez and (probably) James 3d, sons of his brother Moses Davis, who was killed by the Indians in 1724. None of the above, however, settled in C., but either disposed of their rights to others or deeded or willed them to their children and grandchildren. Col. Davis' wife, Elizabeth, was b. at Oyster River in 1669, and d. before 1648. Both were members of the Oyster River church prior to 1723, when on account of difficulties with the Rev. Hugh Adams, they withdrew from that parish and joined the church at Dover, being admitted to the latter 24 Nov., 1723. Children b. in the garrison at Oyster River:
4. SAMUEL(4) DAVIS, (James(3), John(2), James(1)) of Madbury, was b. at Oyster River, 26 Sept., 1693, and settled on land in Madbury belonging to his father. He m. before 1719, Martha Chesley, of Oyster River, b. in 1689. He was a member of the Second Foot Company of Dover in 1740, and with son Samuel was one of the signers to petition to have Madbury made a separate township. He d. at Madbury in 1789, his wife surviving him until 1791. Children:
5. THOMAS(5) DAVIS (Samuel(4), James(3), John(2), James(1)) b. at Madbury, 10 June 1732; m. first, about 1760, Elizabeth Roberts of New Durham; m. second, before 1793, Abigail, widow of Benjamin Jones of Barrington. By his father's will, he received the homestead in Madbury, and the whole of his father's land in the townships of Rochester and C. When news was received of the Battle of Lexington, he joined a party raised in Madbury and vicinity, which marched to Cambridge and participated in the Battle of Bunker Hill. Before 1790 he removed to Barrington, where he d. in 1803. Children by first wife:
Children by second wife:
6. JONATHAN(6) DAVIS (Thomas(5), Samuel(4), James(3), John(2), James(1)) was b. in Madbury, in 1761. At the age of fourteen he enlisted in the Revolutionary War, serving from Aug., 1775, to April, 1776. He was granted a pension on application dated 28 Aug., 1832, when he was a resident of Loudon. He m. 24 July, 1781, Hannah Gerrish of Madbury, and shortly afterward settled in C., Prior to 1797 he removed to Loudon, where he resided about two miles from the village, near Lovering's sawmill. He d. at Loudon in 1855. His wife d. at Loudon about 1857, aged 94. Children:
7. STEPHEN(6) (Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in Madbury, 14 Feb., 1782; settled in C., prior to 1789; m. about 1788, Mary Boynton, b. 4 June, 1768. Children b. in C.:
iii. SAMUEL b. 18 May, 1793; m. ---- Asenith.
8. ISRAEL(7) DAVIS (Jonathan(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in C. about 1785. He settled in Loudon. He was a mechanic and millwright, and in 1835 removed to Amity, Me., where he cleared land, built a home and erected a sawmill; m. in 1820, Abigail(3) St. Clair, dau. of Noah(5) and Lavina (Gault) St. Clair or Sinclair (James(4), Joseph(3), James(2), John(1)), b. C., 10 March, 1797; d. Amity, Me., about 1875. He d. at Amity about 1865. Children:
9. JEREMIAH(7) DAVIS (Jonathan(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in C., or Loudon, 23 Sept., 1792, and d. 4 Aug., 1851; m. first, 14 April, 1828, Judith Austin of Concord, b. in 1801, d. 6 Aug., 1847; m. second, 14 May, 1848, Susan Pike. He is buried in the Lovering cemetery at Loudon. Children, all by first wife:
10. MOSES(7) DAVIS (Jonathan(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in Loudon, 20 Feb., 1797, and m. Polly Ingalls of C., b. in 1807. He removed to Northfield in 1840, where he owned a mill, and resided on Oak Hill. In 1855 he sold his mill and later removed to Concord, where he d. 2 April, 1884, his wife surviving him until 2 Sept., 1890. Children:
11. MARK(7) Davis (Stephen(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in C., 1 March, 1796; m. 11 Sept., 1822, Abigail Stevens of C., b. in Sept., 1798. He built the house at present occupied by his grandson, Frank S. Davis, and d. in C., 12 March, 1869, his wife surviving him until 14 Dec., 1870. Children b. in C.:
12. BENJAMIN BIRDSALL(8) DAVIS (Israel(7), Jonathan(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in Loudon, 1 Sept., 1821. At the age of fourteen, when his family removed to Maine, he went to live with his uncle, Jeremiah Davis, in C. He left C. two years later for Methuen, Mass., and while there took up the study of music. In 1841 he returned to N.H. and attended school at Springfield and Meriden, later going to Boston, where he attended the Boston Academy of Music. He returned to Concord and established singing schools, teaching also in the public schools of Concord, Warner, C., Loudon and other towns throughout the state. The demand for his services became so great that be refused thirty-five schools in a single season. Mr. H. G. Blaisdell, in the Granite Monthly for Nov., 1892, wrote that Mr. Davis had done more to lay the foundation of music in N.H. than any other man of the old school then living in the state. Through his efforts the N.H. State Musical Festival was organised in 1861. He never m. but lived in apartments connected with his studio in the Masonic Temple at Concord, where he d. 26 Nov., 1900.
13. CALVIN HARLOW(8) Davis (Mark(7), Stephen(6), Thomas(5), Samuel(4)) b. in C., 9 July, 1827, and d. at Aiken, S.C., 25 July, 1876. He studied for the ministry at New Hampton, but at the age of twenty-four broke down in health and was obliged to enter business; m. at Waterville, Me., in July, 1851, Ann P. Mathews, b. at Waterville, 13 Nov., 1827, and d. at Augusta, Me., 18 May, 1889. He resided in Haverhill, Mass., New Hampton, Waterville, and West Waterville (now Oakland), Me., and was engaged in business in Portland, Me., and Cincinnati, O. Children:
14. SIMON STEVENS(8) DAVIS (Mark(7), Stephen(6), Thomas(5)) b. in C., 1829; m. in 1855, Dorothy Page Clifford of Gilmanton, b. in 1827; d. 28 May, 1901. He d. from injuries, 11 Nov., 1888. Children:
15. FRANK S(9). DAVIS (Simon Stevens(8), Mark(7), Stephen(6)) b. in C., 22 Feb., 1857, and resides in the homestead built by his grandfather, Mark Davis; m. first, Ida Whitney of Plattsburg, N.Y., b. in 1856, d. 10 Jan., 1895; m. second, Mrs. Ellen Clark of Manchester nee Bean of Tilton, b. 1859, d. 17 May, 1898; m. third, Nellie E. Philbrook of Chataugua County, N.Y. Children:
WILLIAM N. DAWES, b. 18 Feb., 1848, in Wilmot, son of Robert and Ann (Kirk) Dawes, who was b. in London, Eng.; d. 13 April, 1883. His wife d. 17 Jan., 1881. William N. Dawes m. 5 Dec., 1881, at Franklin Falls, Eva A.(5) Carleton (Pettengill(4), Jeremiah(3), Ebenezer(2), Eleazer(1)) b. 5 Dec., 1860, at Hill. Ebenezer, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Dawes was b. 2 April, 1754, at Lyndeborough; m. 3 June, 1784, Rebecca Farrar, who was b. 29 May, 1754. She d. 7 Sept., 1832, in Hill. He d. 8 Dec., 1836. Ebenezer Carleton served in the Revolutionary War, enlisted 1 Aug., 1775, in Capt. Benjamin Mann's Company, Colonel James Reed's Regiment. He was in Colonel Scammel's Regiment, 1777 to 1781, and his company was selected by General Washington 1 Jan., 1779, as his bodyguard, and was known as "Washington's Life Guard." William N. Dawes is a resident of C.
1. GEODFREY(1) DEARBORN, who came in 1639 from Exeter, Eng., to Exeter, was of English descent. In 1650 he removed to Hampton and m. He had three sons, one of whom was an ancestor of Gen. John Dearborn of Revolutionary fame.
2. REUBEN(4) DEARBORN, a great-grandson of Geodfrey, was b. 1769, in Hampton. In 1792 he removed to Candia. He m. Elizabeth McClure, whose grandfather, David McClure, came From Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1720, and m. Martha Glynn, who was descended from a family of Scotch nobles who were Covenanters and fled from persecution to Boston, Mass. Elizabeth McClure's father, James McClure, and grandfather on her mother's side, Dea. Nathaniel Burpee, were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Children of Reuben and Elizabeth (McClure) Dearborn, b. in North Woodstock, where Mr. Dearborn settled soon after his marriage:
3. JAMES McCLURE(5) DEARBORN (Reuben(4)) b. 1816, came to C. about 1842 or 1843. In 1849 he m. Susan Emery Fellows and settled on the place now owned by Frank P. Dow. About 1864 he removed to the Enoch Gibson farm, where his son, Alvah J., now resides. He d. 12 Dec., 1868, and she, 1 April, 1882. Children b. in C.:
4. ALVAH J.(6) DEARBORN (James(5), Reuben(4)) b. 13 Oct., 1851; m. Adah B. Cochran of Walpole. Children b. in C.:
ii. SAMUEL JAMES, b. 30 June, 1886.
5. SUSAN E(6). DEARBORN (James(5), Reuben(4)) b. 10 June, 1854; m. first, Lawrence L. Morse of Derry; m. second, Fred E. Dixon of Manchester. She d. 29 March, 1895. Children by first marriage:
Child by second marriage:
1. GEORGE W. DEARBORN was b. 1833 in Gilford; m. Mary Amanda, dau. of Levi and Hannah Goes (Drake) Dow. (See Dow Gen.) Mrs. Dearborn was b. 19 March, 1839; d. 1868 Mr. Dearborn m. second, Jennie Clifford of Gilmanton. He enlisted 16 Aug., 1862, in Co. G., 12th N.H. Vols. Appointed Corporal 9 Jan., 1864; discharged 19 May, 1865. Occupation, painter. Resided at Hill's Corner several years, returning to Gilford after the death of his wife. He d. 22 July, 1885, at Pitchwood Island, Lake Winnepesaukee. Children by first marriage:
Children by second marriage:
JOSEPH P. DEARBORN was b. 14 Nov., 1818, in Northfield. He was the son of John and Charlotte (James) Dearborn. John Dearborn was b. 25 April, 1783, in Northfield; m. July, 1811. d. in 1869. Charlotte James was b. 1791 in Danville; d. 6 Oct., 1873, Joseph P. Dearborn m. first, 3 April, 1842, Mary Y. Philbrick of Sanbornton. They had six children. She d. 23 Nov., 1879. He m. second, 18 Dec., 1885, Judith Ann (Davis) Chase, widow of Elbridge Gerry Chase. She was b. 7 Nov., 1832, in Loudon, and was a dau. of Jeremiah and Judith (Austin) Davis. Mr. Dearborn
resided in C. from the time of his second marriage until his death, which occurred 20 May, 1907
1. HENRY(1) Dow,(Dow's History Hampton.) who was the progenitor of the Dow family of Hampton and vicinity, was b. in Runham, in Norfolk, Eng., about 1608. He was the son of Thomas Dow of Tylner, and afterwards Runham. Thomas(2) wife's name was Margaret. He, a brother John and sister Edith, were the children of John Dow who d. at Tylner July, 1561. John had two brothers, William and Thomas. Henry(1) Dow d. Dec., 1612, or Jan., 1613. He had a brother Christopher and two sisters, one of whom m. Stephen Farrar. His wife's name was Elizabeth. Children:
2. HENRY(2) Dow (Henry(1)) b. in Runham about 1608; m. 11 Feb., 1631, Joane, widow of Roger Nudd of Ormsby, Eng., "lately deceased," leaving an infant son, Thomas Nudd. After six years residence in Ormsby, he applied for permission to emigrate to America. Licensed was granted 11 April, 1637, for himself and family, as follows: Henry Dow, husbandman, aged 29 years; Joane, hie wife, 30 years, with four children and one servant. He settled first in Watertown, Mass., where his wife d. and was buried 20 June, 1640; m. second, in 1641, Margaret Cole of Dedham, Mass. He removed to Hampton in 1643 or 1644 where he purchased a farm. This homestead remained in possession of his lineal descendants until 1854. Henry Dow was selectman in 1651, deputy from Hampton to the general court of Mass., 1655 and 1656, and in 1658 on a committee to examine and record all land grants and highways. This last work was interrupted by his death, 21 April, 1659. Children:
3. HENRY(3) Dow (Henry(2), Henry(1)) bapt. at Ormsby, Eng., about 1634, d. 6 May, 1707; m. first, 17 June, 1659, Hannah, dau. of Robert Page; m. second, 10 Nov., 1704, widow Mary Green, dau. of Capt. Christopher Hussey. Capt. Dow was a land surveyor, selectman, town clerk, deputy to the general assembly, clerk of the House and Speaker pro tern. He was marshal of Norfolk County from 1673 to the close of the Mass. government in N.H. Then he was deputy marshal under the royal government of this state, and in 1680 became marshal for a limited time. Oct. 8, 1686, he was admitted and sworn as attorney. He held a commission in the militia for several years, becoming captain in 1692. In 1695 he was justice of the inferior court of common pleas, becoming senior justice in 1699, a position he held until his death in 1707. Children by first marriage:
4. SAMUEL(4) Dow (Henry(3), Henry(2), Henry(1)) b. 4 Nov., 1662, d. 20 June, 1714; m. first, 12 Dec., 1683, Abigail, dau. of Morris Hobbs; m. second, 13 Feb., 1708, widow Sarah Garland, dau. of John Taylor. Dea. Dow was town clerk eight years and selectman five years. He lived on the homestead. Children:
5. SAMUEL(5) Dow (Samuel(4), Henry(3)) b. 25 May, 1693; d. 29 March, 1755; m. 12 Sept., 1717, Mary, dau. of Christopher Page, and lived on the homestead. Children:
6. JONATHAN(6) Dow (Samuel(5), Samuel(4)) b. 10 May, 1734, in Hampton; m. 31 July, 1761, Comfort Brown, b. 29 Sept., 1739. She lived to be nearly 99 years of age. Mr. Dow was dismissed from the church in Brentwood 19 March, 1769, and probably removed about that time. He was one of the early settlers in New Hampton. His name appears on the "Town Papers," as early as 1784, and undoubtedly he resided there some years previous to that date. Children:
7. LEVI(7) Dow (Jonathan(6), Samuel(5)) b. 31 March, 1763, in Hampton; m. 1784, Abigail Godfrey, b. 10 Oct., 1758, in Poplin (now Fremont). Mr. Dow came to New Hampton with his parents, where he resided until his death, March, 1849. Children:
8. LEVI(8) Dow JR., (Levi(7), Jonathan(6)) b. 15 Dec., 1803, in New Hampton; m. 1832, Hannah Goss, dau. of Dea. Nathaniel Drake and granddaughter of Abraham Drake, who settled in New Hampton in 1777. Abraham was a descendant of Robert, who came to Hampton about 1630. The Drake family is of great antiquity.(Drake History.) "Soon after the conquest of Wessex by the Romans a family or clan called Drago, or Draco, appears to have taken possession of an old Roman and British encampment in what is now the manor of Musbury, Axminster, Devon County, Eng., which subsequently became known as Mount Drake. Of this family was Sir Francis, the celebrated navigator, as was also John Drake of the Council of Plymouth, one of the original company established by King James in 1606 for the settling New England, several of whose sons came to Boston in 1630, and who finally settled in Windsor. Robert had two sons and one daughter who settled in Hampton. From these brothers are descended all of the name in New England.
Robert Drake was among the first who, to avoid persecution, fled to New England." There is a tradition that the Drakes who settled in Hampton were in some way related to Sir Francis, which is strengthened by the record. Levis Dow, Jr., went to Boston when a young man. After a few years he returned to his ancestral home where he resided till 1856, when he came to C., engaged in agriculture; d. 23 Nov., 1889. Mrs. Dow 4. 8 Dec., 1878. Children b. in New Hampton:
9. SUMNER ADAMS(9) Dow (Levi(8), Jr., Levi(7), Jonathan(6)) b. 24 April, 1834; m. Ann Maria Gordon of New Hampton. Came to C., 1858. After a few years he moved to Northfield, engaging in the meat business. He had a market at Sanbornton Bridge. For a time he was engaged in buying cattle and sheep; was post master at Northfield Depot eleven years, moved to Concord in 1885 and was for several years in business there. He d. 27 July, 1903, in Concord. Mrs. Dow d. 22 April, 1882, in Northfield. Children:
10. OLWYN WARLAND(9) DOW (Levi(8), Jr., Levi(7)) b. 10 April, 1836; m. 10 April, 1862, Sophia Ingalls, dau. of Solomon M. and Matilda (Ingalls) Clifford. (See Clifford Gen.) Mr. Dow spent his early days on the farm. Learned the shoemaker's trade and for several years followed this occupation. Made two trips to California, first in 1858, second 1863, spending in all four years in that state. Returned to C., spring of 1865, since which time he has engaged in agriculture. Children, b. in C.:
11. TIRZAH ANN ROBINSON(9) Dow (Levi(8), Jr., Levi(7)) b. 11 July, 1843; m. 13 Dec., 1876, Jonathan, son of John and Susan Stearns Smith of Peterborough. She was a graduate New Hampton Literary Institution, 1869; assistant teacher there from 1869 to 1871; preceptress from 1871 to 1876. While attending the Academy she taught most acceptably in the district schools of C. Possessing a charming personality, she readily won the affection of both scholars and parents and she is gratefully remembered by all of her pupils now living. In love with her profession her career as an instructor was a marked success. She was a splendid type of womanhood. Her death occurred 28 Aug., 1881, in Clinton,, Mass. Her husband was a soldier of the Civil War and a graduate of Dartmouth College, 1871. He edited the Coos(?) Republican from 1871 to 1873; admitted to the bar 1875; city solicitor of Manchester three years and of Clinton, Mass., two years; member of the Mass. legislature 1881. Special Justice of the Second District Court of Eastern Worcester County for twenty-five years. Children:
12. NATHANIEL HARLAND(9) Dow (Levi(8), Jr., Levi(7)) b. 8 Feb., 1845; m. first, 1869, Margaret, dau. of Philip and Mary Ann Campbell who were b. in Scotland. Mrs. Dow was b. in Boston; d. 1893 in Wakefield, Mass. Mr. Dow m. second, 1894, Ida M. Stinson. He came to C. with his parents in 1856. In 1864 went to Methuen, Mass., and remained five years. In 1869 he went to California, returning to Mass. in 1871 and settling in Wakefield. Occupation, stone mason and contractor. Was road commissioner five years. He returned to C., in 1895, purchased the homestead of the late Solomon M. Clifford at Hill's Corner, where he now resides. Children by first marriage:
Child by second marriage:
1. JONATHAN S(2). Dow was b. 3 June, 1812, in Pittsfield. Son of Isaiah(1) and Betsy (Burns) Dow (Isaiah b. 10 Oct., 1773, in Pittsfield; d. 15 Feb. 1818. Betsy Burns, b. 17 Aug., 1775; d. 11 Feb., 1841). Jonathan S(2). was the seventh child of a family of eight children. He m. 3 Jan., 1835, in Lowell, Mass., Henrietta S., dau. of Enoch and Hannah (Wallace) French, b. 19 Dec., 1807, in Loudon; d. 23 Aug., 1885, in C. After his marriage, Mr. Dow resided in C., where he d. 11 Feb., 1880. Children, b. in C.:
2. FRANK PIERCE(3) Dow (Jonathan(2), Isaiah(1)) b. 30 June, 1850; m. 25 Sept. 1875, in Chichester, Adeline, dau. of George W. and Mary P. (Seavey) West of Chichester, where she was b. 19 Dec., 1855. Chidren b. in C.:
1. JOSEPH(2) Dow, son of Joseph(1) and Sarah (Marden) Dow, b. in Pittsfield, 24 May, 1819; m. 26 Feb., 1839, Abigail Heath, dau. of John and Nancy (Sargent) Carter, b. in C. 11 March, 1816; d. 21 Jan., 1894. He m. second, Mrs. Mary E. Perkins, 10 Aug., 1894, and d. 6 Feb., 1897. Children:
2. SYLVESTER J(3). Dow (Joseph(2), Joseph(1)) b. 3 Sept., 1852; m. 6 Sept., 1879, in Franklin, Eliza, dau. of Abel Lord and Martha (Alexander) Butterworth, b. in Rochdale, Eng., 1 Aug., 1858. He d. at Bow, 3 Aug., 1891. She m. second, 20 April, 1909, William L. Kimball of Cheney, Kan. Children h. in C.:
3. MARY P(3). Dow (Joseph(2), Joseph(1)) b. 15 Oct., 1855, at C.; m. 19 Nov., 1881, in Franklin, Thomas E., son of Joseph L. Simpson of Deerfield, b. at Winona, Minn., 10 Feb., 1856. Child: Sam W(4). Simpson, b. 15 Aug., 1883, in Deerfield.
1. JOSHIAH(2) Dow was b. 1755 in Epping; m. first, ---- Sias; after her death he removed to C.; m. second, Sarah, dau. of Jeremiah(5) and Abigail (Kezer) CLOUGH, b. 20 Feb., 1766, in C., d. 30 Sept., 1846. He d. 28 March, 1827: both d. in Concord and were interred in the Center cemetery of C. Children:
2. SUSAN CLOUGH(2) Dow (Josiah(1)) m. Albegence(7) Mead (Jason(6), Samuel(5), Samuel(4), Thomas(3), Israel(2), Gabriel(1)) Gabriel(1) or Goodman(1), came in 1635 to this country from England. Children:
Leonard(1) was first heard of in this country 1655, in Portsmouth. Children of George W. and Sarah E. (Mead) Weeks:
The first Drew of whom a record is found in this country is John Drew, who appeared in Plymouth, Mass., about 1660. He is supposed to have been a son of William Drew and a grandson of Sir Edward Drew, who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1589. (From Drew's Landmarks of Plymouth, Mass.)
ALBERT FRANCIS(4) DREW was b. 12 Dec., 1843, in Plymouth, Mass. He was a son of Josiah(3) and Sarah Jane (Hodgkins) Drew. Josiah was b. 1812, d. 1850. His wife was a duaghter of David and Mary Hodgkins. She d. 10 Sept., 1881. Mary, the wife of David Hodgkins, was a dau. of John Wilson who came to Marblehead from Edinburgh about 1750; b. 27 Feb., 1748; d. 1793. The grandfather of Albert Francis Drew was Atwood(2) Drew, who m., 1802, Lydia, dau. of William and Lydia Rider. His great-grandfather, David Drew, m. Elizabeth Atwood. Albert Francis Drew m. 25 Feb., 1873, in Boston, Mass., Mary Ella, dau. of Alfred G. and Mary L. Chase. (See Chase Gen.) Mr. Drew removed in 1880 from Boston to C., where he d. 23 Feb., 1909. Children:
JOHN WILLIAM(2) DRISCOLL, b. 17 Aug., 1852, in Quebec, Canada, son of William(1) and Margaret Driscoll; m. first, 4 Feb., 1870, Minnie H., dau. of David H. and Sarah C. (Johnson) Perley of Enfield; m. second, Lucy Mae, dau. of Addison Augustus and Abigail (Lovering) Arlin of Concord. Mr. Driscoll had three sisters: Mary Ann, m. first, Joseph Twombly of Hill, m. second, Cyrus Pattee of Haverhill, Mass.; Margaret, m. Rufus W. Smart of Hopkinton, and Lizzie, unm. In Feb., 1897, Mr. Driscoll purchased the place at C. known as the Jonathan K. Taylor place, where he now resides. Child by first marriage: JENNIE P.(3), b. 12 April, 1871; m. Herbert W. Metcalf of Lowell, Mass. Children, b. in Lowell: Paul(3) and Ruth B. Metcalf.