History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Ebenezer Landers (from Sandwich) lived in E. B. and had Gershom 1727, Ebenezer 1729, and Mehitabel 1731.
William Latham was at Plymouth 1623 ; at Duxbury 1637, where he sold house and land to Rev. Ralph Partridge 1639 ; at Marshfield 1643, where he and Roger Cook had their house burnt 1648. Cary Latham and his wife Elizabeth, at Cambridge, had Thomas, and Joseph 1639.
1. Robert Latham was Constable at Marshfield 1643 ; was at Cambridge two years in the Rev. Thomas Shepard's family ; was s. probably of William, and Cary might have been his uncle. He m. Susanna, D. of John Winslow, brother of Gov. Edward, 1649, Elizabeth, and had Mercy 1650 (at Plymouth), James, Chilton, Joseph, Elizabeth, Hannah, Sarah : he took the oath of fidelity at Marshfield 1657 ; settled at E. B. before 1667: his wife's mother was the famous Mary Chilton, who is said to have been the first female who set foot on the Plymouth shore 1620. Her father James Chilton, and her mother Susanna, both d. the first winter. Latham named his two first sons, after her grandfather, James and Chilton.
Mercy m. Isaac Harris.
Joseph was at Providence 1690 and 1703, whose wife Phebe signed a Deed 1688.
Elizabeth m. Francis Cook 1687.
Hannah m. Joseph Washburn Jr.
Sarah m. John Howard Jr.
2. James (s. of Robert 1.) and his w. Deliverance had Thomas, Anne 1693, Susanna, Joseph, Betty, and Lucretia : he d. before 1739.
Anne m. Nicholas Wade, and Susanna m. Nathaniel Harden, both the same day, 1715.
Betty m. Judge Daniel Johnson 1726.
3. Capt. Chilton (s. of Robert 1.) m. Susanna, D. of John Kingman, 1699, and had Charles 1701, Jane 1703, Arthur 1705, James 1708, Robert 1711, Joseph 1714, Susanna .1717, Mary 1720. He d. 1751, ae. 80 ; she 1776, ae. 97.
Susanna m. Thos. Wade 1746.
Mary m. Jonathan Allen of Braintree 1742.
Joseph d. a bachelor 1777, ae. 62.
4. Thomas (s. of James 2.) m. Deborah, D. probably of John Harden, 1712, and had Joseph, Rotheus 1726, Beriah 1728, Anne, Deliverance, Jennet and Rhoda : he d. before 1769.
Anne m. Seth Mitchell 1738.
Deliverance m. David Howell 1744.
Jennet m. a Drinkwater of N. Yarmouth, Me.
Beriah m. Israel Hill 1748.
Rhoda m. David Conant 1748.
Joseph went eastward.
Rotheus- went to N. Carolina and had a family there.
5. Joseph (s. of James 2.) m. Sarah, D. of Nathaniel Hayward, 1717, and had James, Betty, Joseph, Thomas, Nathaniel, all bap. 1732, Sarah 1733, Seth 1738. He enlisted into the Canada expedition and made his will 1758, and d. 1760 his wife d. 1781, ae 85.
Betty d. single 1808, ae. 86.
Sarah d. single 1785, ae. 53.
6. Charles (s. of Capt. Chilton 3.) m. Susanna, D. of Capt. Nathaniel Woodward, and had Betty 1725, Susanna 1727, Woodward 1729, Mary 1735, Chilton and Jane 1739 : he d. 1788, ae. 87.
Betty m. Capt. Joseph Gannett 1744.
Susanna m. Nathan Hayward.
Mary m. Benjanninr Whitman 1757.
Jane m. Edward Mitchell 1762.
7. Arthur (s. of Capt. Chilton 3.) m. Alice, D. of Nehemiah Allen 1733, and had Nehemiah 1735, Jane 1736 : he d. 1736, and his wid. m. Jonathan Allen of Braintree 1739.
Jane m. Jonathan Conant 1759.
8. James (s. of Capt. Chilton 3.) m. Abigail Harvey of T. 1739, and had Abigail 1741, Arthur 1742, Mary 1744, James and Susanna.
Mary m. William Britton of Raynham 1766.
Susanna m. Seth Brett 1769.
This family and Brett also went to Winchester.
9. Robert (s. of Capt. Chilton 3. m. Mary, D. of David Johnson, 1751. She d. and he m. Bethiah, wid. of Arthur Harris and D. of Dea. Thomas Hayward. She d. 1778, ae. 63, and he m. Jerusha, D. of Thomas Hooper, 1778. He d. 1788, ae. 77, and his last wife m. Jacob Mitchell 1791, and d. 1829, ae. 85.
10. Joseph (s. of Joseph 5.) m. Mary, D. of Joseph Prior, 1748, and had James 1748, Hannah 1751, Nanny 1763, and Winslow.
James m. Esther Baker of R. 1769.
Hannah m. Josiah Hathaway 1766, and the whole family went to Oakham or Pelham.
11. Thomas (s. of Joseph 5.) m. Abigail Hanmer 1752, and had Nabby 1753, William 1756, Betty 1757, Thomas, Benjamin, Lucinda, Stephen and Roland. He d. of small-pox 1778, ae. 49 ; she d. 1786, ae. 55.
Nabby d. 1785, ae. 32.
Betty d. 1785, ae. 28.
Lucinda m. Joshua Pool 1783.
William and Thomas served in the revolutionary war and went westward.
Benjamin went to Providence.
Stephen m. Nabby, D. of Amos Whitman, and he and Roland went to Me.
12. Nathaniel (s. of Joseph 5.) m. Mercy, D. of Nehemiah Leach, 1756, and had Nathaniel and Levi, and d. young.
Nathaniel d. 1776 at N. York in the army.
13. Seth (s. of Joseph 5.) m. Rachel House of Hanover 1763. She d. 1797, ae. 53 ; he m. Wid. Elizabeth Hanks 1800, and d. childless 1825, ae. 87 ; she 1825, ae. 75.
14. Woodward (s. of Charles 6.) m. Rebecca Dean of R. 1763, and had Eliab 1764, Susanna 1766, George 1768, Dean 1771, Barzillai 1773, Galen 1775. He d. 1802, ae. 71 ; she 1813, ea. 77.
Eliab m. Lucy, D. of Nehemiah Latham, 1786, and went to Gray in Me., and was burnt with his house.
Susanna m. Thos. Blanchard of Abington 1786, and moved to Windsor.
George went to Gray, Me., m. a Matthews, and had a family.
Dean d. a bachelor 1835, ae. 64.
Barzillai m. Polly, D. of Benja. Washburn, 1801, and went to Me.
15. Chilton (s. of Charles 6.) m. Mary, D. of James Howard, 1770, and had Chilton 1771, Mary 1772: he d. 1792, ae. 52.
Mary m. Winslow Hooper 1791.
16. Nehemiah (s. of Arthur 7.) m. Lucy, D. of Arthur Harris, 1757, and had Arthur 1758, Alice 1760, Lucy 1764, Allen 1771. She died 1797, ae. 53, and he m. Hannah, Widow of Samuel Allen and D. of Joshua Pratt, 1801 : he d. 1807, ae. 74 ; she 1820, ae. 80.
Arthur went to Lyme.
Alice m. Matthew Gannett 1783.
Lucy m. Eliab Latham 1786.
Allen m. Jennet, D. of Hosea Dunbar of Halifax, 1796, and d. 1798, and his Wid. m. Zephaniah Howard 1800.
17. Arthur (s. of James 8), m. Margaret, D. of Andrew Bearce, of Halifax, and had nine Ds, and went to Winchester with his father.
18. Levi (s. of Nathaniel 12), m. Hannah, D. of Eleazer Alden, 1782, and had Nathaniel, Cyrus, Susanna Alden, Robert 1793, Marcus 1795, and then with his mother and family went to Windsor, there had Lewis and Hannah.
Nathaniel was a Deacon at Windsor 1816.
19. Galen (s. of Woodward 14), m. Susanna, D. of Eleazer Keith, 1802, and had Williams 1803, Galen 1805, Charles Austin 1807, Rowena Williams 1809, Susanna 1812, Eliab 1818.
Williams gra. B. U. 1827, and is settled as an Attorney in S. B.
Galen m. Esther, D. of Azor Harris Esq.
20. Chilton (s. of Chilton 15), m. Betsy, D. of Dr. Eleazer Carver, 1803, and had Charles 1804, Susanna 1806, Nathaniel Woodward 1810. He d. 1811, ae. 42; she m. Joseph Barrows 1816, and had two children.
21. Robert (s. of Arthur of Lyme : see Nehemiah 16.) and Polly his wife lived awhile in E. B., and had John Tomson 1805. He returned to Lyme : he had two brothers, Allen and Bela, who were educated and read law in E. B., and settled as Attorneys in the western country : he had also a brother William Harris, and others.
Mark Lathrop (probably from Duxbury ; perhaps from Weymouth or Braintree) settled in W. B. as early as 1656, but not an original proprietor, nor had he any known connection with any of the name in N. E. He has been supposed by some to have descended from the Rev. John Lathrop of Scituate, but this cannot be ascertained, nor is it probable. He d. a. 1686, and had Elizabeth, Mark, Samuel, and Edward : no w. is mentioned.
Elizabeth m. Samuel Packard Jr.>br? Mark "designed into the war," made his will 1690, and d. in the Canada expedition.
Edward d. a. 1696 without children.
2. Samuel (s. of Mark 1.) m. Sarah Downer, and had Mary 1683, Samuel 1685, John 1687, Mark 1689, Sarah 1693, Joseph and Edward 1697 : he d. a.1724.
Mary m. Josiah Keith 1703.
Joseph m. Mary, D. of Joseph Snow, 1718, and d. without issue.
Sarah m. Solomon Packard 1715, and d. young.
3. Samuel (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Abial, D. of Isaac Lazell,1710, and had Samuel 1711, Isaac 1714, Sarah 1717, Daniel 1721, Abiel 1729.
Sarah m. Abiezer Edson 1737.
Abial m. Israel Alger Jr. 1747.
4. John (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Mary, D. of Joseph Edson, 1716, and had Mary 1720, Sarah 1724, Susanna 1726.
Mary d. single.
Sarah m. Alexander Kingman 1755.
Susanna m. Theophilus Howard 1747.
5. Mark (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Alden, 1 722, went to E., and had John, Seth, Jonathan, and Joseph : she d. as 81.
Jonathan m. Susanna, D. of Solomon Johnson, 1747.
Seth m. Martha, D. of Thomas Conant, 1755.
6. Edward (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Hannah, D. of Thomas Wade, and had Seth 1722, Josiah 1726, Edward 172S, David 1735, Mark 1738.
David m. Mary, D. of Ephraim Howard, 1762, and d. 1787 without children.
7. Samuel (s. of Samuel 3.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Joseph Keith, 1735 ; his will 1776 ; had Nathan 1735, Jonathan 1738, Mark 1746.
Samuel Lathrop m. Lydia Hayden 1751.
8. Isaac (s. of Sam'l 3.) m. Bethiah, D. of Maj. Edward Howard. She d., and he m. Patience, D. of Joseph Alger, 1742, and had Bethiah 1744, Edmund 1746, Isaac 1745, Zephaniah 1750, Abihail 1752, Nathan 1755, John 1757, Sarah 1763, Keziah 1767 : he d. 1774.
Bethiah m. Samuel Willis 1767.
Edmund m. Betty, D. of George Howard, 1774, and settled in E. and had Howard, Isaac, and Cyrus, and probably others.
Isaac m. Sarah, D. of Adams Bailey, 1775, and settled also in E.
Isaac m. Betty Hacket 1786.
Abihail m. Lemuel Keith of E. 1768.
John m. Sarah Cook 1750.
Sarah m. John Cook 1799.
Keziah m. Simeon Lathrop 1785.
9. Maj. Daniel (s. of Samuel 3.) m. Rhoda, D. of Thomas Willis 1744, and had Daniel 1745, Rhoda 1747, Molly 1755, Abihail 1758.
Rhoda m. Daniel Williams Jr. of E. 1763.
Molly m. Thomas Johnson 1771.
Abihail m. Isaac Hartwell 1775.
10. Joseph (s. of Mark 5.) m. Content, D. of John Washburn, 1746, and settled in E., and had Seth, Jonathan, Joseph, and probably others.
Susanna Lathrop m. Abiel Lapham 1786.
11. Seth (s. of Edward 6.) m. Lydia, D. of George Packard, 1751, and had Susanna 1754. She d. and he m. Mehitabel Daily of E., and had Lydia 1758, Mehitabel 1761, Seth 1765 : he d. 1804, she 1770.
Susanna m. Calvin Kinsley of E. 1773.
Mehitabel m. Alpheus Fobes 1751.
12. Josiah (s. of Edward 6.) m. Sarah Church of Scituate, 1749, and had Hannah 1753, Sarah 1755, Josiah 1759, Huldah 1764, Charles 1767 : he d. 1808, she 1815.
Hannah m. Joseph Bassett Esq. 1776.
Huldah m. Edmund Alger 1786.
Sarah m. Edward Williams of E. 1772.
13. Edward (s. of Edward 6.) m. Abigail, D. of Ephraim Howard, 1752, and had Barnabas 1759, Simeon 1760, Hannah 1762, Jane 1764, Ambrose 1768, Molly 1770, Vina 1773.
Jane m. Capt. Daniel Briggs of Milton 1782.
Ambrose lived and d. in Cohasset.
Vina m. Dr. John H. Perkins 1793.
14. Jonathan (s. of Samuel 7.) m. Chloe Dickerman 1765, and had Lemuel 1766, Libeus 1769, Sarah 1772, Chloe, and perhaps others.
Libeus m. Charity Wharton 1803, and settled in E.
Sarah m. David Alger 1790.
Chloe m. Jacob Fisher 1797.
15. Mark (s. of Samuel 7.) m. Elizabeth Dickerman, b. 1758, and had Elijah 1730, Mark, Spencer, Betsy and Silvia.
Elijah m. Lavinia, D. of Barnabas Dunbar, 1818, and settled in St.
Mark m. Katy, D. of Capt. Amasa Howard, 1805, and had Samuel 1806, Cathariue 1808, Almer 1810, and went to Millbury.
Spencer m. Bathsheba, D. of Thaddeus Howard, 1812 ; she d. 1813, and he m. Eleanor White of Millbury 1817.
Betsy m. Samuel Dunbar 1811.
Silvia m. Thaddeus Howard Jr. 1810.
16. Zephaniah (s. of Isaac S.) m. Sarah, D. of Nathan Packard, 1779, and had Silvia 1779, Oliver 1781, Azel 1783, Zephaniah 1787. She d. 1790, and he m. Silvia Manly 1791, and had Avery 1792, Sally 1794, Bezer 1796, Perez 1797, Raymond 1799, Rhoda 1801, Olive 1803, Manly 1807.
Oliver m. Hannah Curtis of St. 1803.
Avery m. Hannah, D. of Jacob Dunbar, 1819, and Joanna Bacon of Randolph 1841.
Sally m. George Alger Jr. of E. 1814.
Bezer m. Vesta Cobb of Mansfield 1820.
Perez m. Eliza, D. of Hartwell Keith 1817.
17. Daniel (s. of Maj. Daniel 9.) m. Hannah, D. of George Howard, 1764, and had George 1765, Daniel 1767, Thomas 176S, Hannah 1771. She d. and he m. Lydia, D. of Samuel Willis 1775, and had Samuel 1777, Sullivan 1778. His 2d wife d., and he m. Mary, D. of George Turner, 1785, and had Alson he had other Ds.
Daniel m. Sally Whiting of Attleboro 1797.
Samuel m. Bethiah, D. of Joseph Johnson 1799, and had a son Daniel who d. 1821. This family all removed to Me.
George m. Molly, D. of Jeremiah Thayer, 1783, and settled in Leeds, and d. 1839, ae. 74.
Hannah m Joshua Gilmore 1789.
Daniel Lathrop m. Wid. Abigail Lathrop 1803.
18. Seth (s. of Seth 11.) m. Abigail, D. of Joseph Bassett, 1764, and had Barzillai, Cyrus, Betsy.
Barzillai d. at sea.
Cyrus m. Mary, D. of Daniel Willis, 1801, and went to Livermore, Me., but returned.
Betsy m. Warren French 1813, and went to Me.
19. Josiah (s. of Josiah 12.) m. Susanna, D. of Theophilus Howard, 1785, and had Vesta 1795, Susanna 1798, Josiah 1802, Howard 1804, Edwin 1807, Margaret Nevens 1809. This family removed to Canada.
20. Charles (s. of Josiah 12.) m. Rowena, D. of Capt. Jonathan Howard 1788, and had Phebe Ames 1789, Galen 1791, Charles 1793, Edward 1795, Rowena 1796. This family also went to Canada.
21. Barnabas (s. of Edward 13.) m. Sarah, D. of Jonathan Bozworth, 1777, and had Stillman, Barnabas, Edward, Tisdale, Sarah, Betsy : he had a 2d wife Rachel, D. of Samuel Bartlett.
Barnabas m. Rachel Thayer 1813.
Sarah m. John Hearsey 1807.
Betsy m. Bernard Alger of E. 1810.
Edward lives in Boston.
22. Simeon (s. of Edward 13.) m. Keziah, D. of Isaac Lathrop, 1785, and had Hannah, Keziah. Simeon m. Peggy Nevens of Salem 1807.
Keziah m. Ezekiel Wilson of Methuen, 1808.
23. Lemuel (s. of Jonathan 14.) m. Sarah Reed of E. 1794, and had George Watson 1805.
24. Azel (s. of Zephaniah 16.) m. Anna Eaton 1805, and had Philenia 1806, Sarah 1807, Silvia 1809, John Eaton 1812.
25. Zephaniah (s. of Zephaniah 16.) m. Lydia Ripley of Plympton 1812, and had Almon 1815.
Caleb of E. m. Hannah Ellis 1806.
Celia of E. m. Samuel Short 1806.
Rebecca m. Jno. Snow Jr. 1811.
Hannah R. m. Leonard Alger 1821.
Jacob m. Sarah Snow 1787.
Zenas m. Sally Tower 1788.
Thomas and Desire Lawrence had Hannah, Sarah, Thomas : he d. 1759. Hannah m. Capt. Josiah Edson 1760, and Maj. Eliphalet Cary 1782.
Sarah m. Obadiah Eddy 1750.
Thomas m. Sarah, D. of John Hooper 1769.
Jonathan m. Rachel Smith 1765.
Shurtliff and Millecent (or Milleson) Lawson had Asa Shurtliff 1794.
Sarah Lawson m. Abijah Hill 1749.
John Lazell (at Hingham 1647) m. Elizabeth, D. of Stephen Gates, 1649, and had John 1650, Thomas 1653, Joshua 1655, Stephen 1656, Isaac 1660, Mary, Sarah, Hannah 1666, Israel 1671 : he d. a. 1695.
Mary m. a Burr.
Sarah m. Peter Ripley 1693.
Hannah m. a Turner.
Thomas m. Mary Allen at Duxbury 1685, and settled there, and was afterwards at Plympton, and then at Falmouth, and finally at Windham, Conn.
John, Stephen and Israel remained at Hingham.
Joshua d. 1689 ; his Wid. Mary ; he had Elizabeth, Martha, Joshua and Simon.
Simon at Plymouth and Joshua at Duxbury 1709 : Joshua had lived in Mendon where a Joshua Lazell d. 1832, ae. 81.
Simon went to Mid'o, and many of his descendants lived there and in S. B.
Isaac m. Abial (or Abibail), D. of John Leavitt, and d. at Hingham 1690, leaving a son Isaac and a D. Abial: his Wid. m. Isaac Johnson, who came to W. B. a. 1700, and brought these two ch. of his wife with him.
This name is variously written in the early records, Lazell, Lascelle, Lessen, Hazell, Hazael, Has-sell. There is reason to believe the name was originally French, and written La Hassell, and thence corrupted to Lassel and Lazell.
John Hassell was made free in Mass. 1637.
Richard Hassell made free 1647.
1. Isaac (s. of Isaac and gr. s. of John of Hingham) came to Bridgewater a small boy a. 1700, as above stated. (His sister Abial also came with him and m. Samuel Lathrop 1710.) He m. Mary, D. of Daniel Hudson, 1719, and had Isaac 1725, John 1727, Hannah 1729, Daniel 1734 : he d. before 1766, ae. a. 75.
Hannah m. Nathan Conant 1753.
2. Isaac (s. of Isaac I.) m. Bethiah, D. of Joseph Alger, 1748, and had Edmund 1750, Silvanus 1752, Mary 1754, Isaac 1756, Nathan 1759, Ebenezer 1761, Joseph 1767. He removed to Cummington in his old age, and there his wife d. and he m. Abigail, Wid.. of Capt. Jacob Allen and D. of Capt. Israel Bailey : he d. ae. over- 80.
Mary m. Seth Reed of Abington 1776, and lived and d. at Cummington.
3. John (s. of Isaac 1.) m. Mary, D. of Dr. Joseph Byram, 1750, and had John 1751, Luther 1154, Molly 1757, Eunice 1761, Patty 1766, Byram 1770 : he d. 1816, ae. S9 ; she 1818, ae. 80. John m. Lucinda Stetson 1787, and he ae. 56, and his D. ae. 18, both d. 1806.
Luther settled in Abington, and bad Daniel and a D. who m. Libeus Gurney.
Molly m. Eliab Washburn 1777, and moved to Paxton.
Eunice m. a Pool.
Patty d. single 1826.
4. Daniel (s. of Isaac 1.) m. Huldah, D. of Nehemiah Leach, 1761, and had Robert, Calvin, Chloe 1772, and two other Ds. He removed to Ashfield, and d. of small-pox in the revolutionary war 1776.
Chloe returned to E. B., and d. 1832, ae 60, not m.
5. Capt. Edmund (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Mary, D. of Hezekiah Ford of A. and went to Cummington, and had Edmund and Martin ; the latter had a college education, and both d. young. He had also
Mary, who m. Col. Trowbridge Ward of Worthington, Huldah,, who m. Jonathan Dawes.
Deborah, who m. Benjamin Hobart Esq. of A.
He is now (1840) living ; she d. 1836. He and Judge Davis of Boston are the only surviving members of the Convention for adopting the U. S. Constitution in 1788.
6. Gen. Silvanus (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Abigail, D. of Joseph Robinson, 1775, and had Nabby 1778, Betsy 1781, Lucy 1785. They both d. of paralysis : she 1825, ae. 69 ; he 1827, ae. 75.
Nabby m. Nahum Mitchell, the writer of this, 1794.
Betsy m. Bartholomew Brown Esq. 1801.
Lucy m. Benjamin Hobart Esq., his first wife, 1811, and d. 1812.
7. Maj. Isaac (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Jenny, D. of Benjamin Byram, 1779, and had Anna 1780, Polly 1782, Jane 1786, Salome 1788, Rachel 1790, Charlotte 1792, Henriette 1795, Irene 1800 : he d. June 20, 1810, ae. 54.
Anna m. Dr. Noah Fearing 1799.
Polly m. William Randall Bates of Cummington 1803.
Jane m. Elisha Blanchard of Weymouth 1809.
Salome m. Mitchell Keith 1811, and d. 1839.
Rachel m. William Snelling of Boston 1811.
Charlotte m. Simeon Tisdale Jr. of T. 1815, and Mitchell Keith 184O.
Henriette m. Cyrus Johnson of. N. Bedford, s. of Jsaiah of W. B.
Irene m. Dea. Morton Eddy 1822.
8. Nathan Esq. (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Deborah, D. of Timothy Conant 1783, and had Hannah, Susan, Sally, Deborah, Nathan, Caroline, Harriet, Julia ; he d. 1832.
Hannah m. Nathan Nye of Freeport 1818, his 2d wife ; Susan was his first wife, m. 1807.
Sally m. Jonathan Cushing of Boston 1809.
Deborah not m.
Caroline m. Paul Revere 1816.
Harriet m. Dr. Paul Lewis Nichols of Kingston 1814.
Julia m. George W. Norwood of Boston.
9. Rev. Ebenezer (s. of Isaac 2.) gra. B. U. 1788, and settled in the Ministry at Attleboro', and there m. a Richardson : he thence removed to Black River N. Y. and d. 1828 leaving a number of children, William was one.
10. Joseph, (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Abigail, D. of Capt. John Ames, 1787, and had a D. Bethiah : he went to Charleston S. C. and he and his w. both d. there of the yellow fever Aug. 1799.
Bethiah returned and m. Asa Mitchell Esq. 1806, and settled at New Gloucester and had a D. Sarah Harris : he d. and she returned again to E. B. and m. George Young Phillips 1812, and went to Poughkepsie, N. Y.
Sarah H. m. there an Overocker, and d. young.
11. Byram (s. of John 3.) m. Jennet, D. of Joseph Wesley 1793, and had Betsy, Marston, Jennet, d. single 1825 ae. 27, Thomas, Mary, Susan, William, Lucy, George : he d. 1820 ae. 50. Marston m. Christiana, D. of Joseph Gannett.
12. Nathan Esq. (s. of Nathan Esq. 8.) m. Ann, D. of Abraham Wilkinson of North Providence (Pawtucket) 1821, and had Nathan* ; he d., May 1835, and had another s. Nathan b. after his death. The widow is now dead.
13. Simon (s. of Joshua of Hingham probably) m. Joanna Wood 1742, (his 2d. w. perhaps) his will 1745 : he had Joshua, Jacob, William, Abner, Lydia, (1st wife of old John Alden,) Mary Wood, and Sarah : he first lived at Plymouth, and afterwards at M. where he d. His first wife perhaps was Margaret, D. of Jacob Cook of Plymouth m. 1716.
14. Joshua (s. of Simon 13.) m. Elizabeth, D. of John Prince and wid. of Seth Ames 1742, and d. a. 1753 : he had Prince, Elizabeth, Mary. He d. 1749 at M. where he lived ; she was niece of Rev. Thomas Prince, the chronologist.
15. Jacob (s. of Simon 13.) nn. Elizabeth, D. of Richard Davenport of S. B. 1749 lived in M. and d. 1753, and gave his estate to his child, if it should be born and live.
Molly Lazell m. William Cole 1774.
16. William (s. of Simon 13.) m. Eunice, D. of Richard Davenport Jr. 1759, and lived in S. B. and had Eunice 1759 : he removed from B. and had Joshua, William, John, Abner, Jacob,. Rufus, Isaac, Levi.
William went to Philadelphia.
John was a physician, and he and Abner went to New Salem.
Jacob went to New York.
Rufus went to Pennsylvania.
17. Joshua (s. of William 16.) m. a Pratt in S. B. and went to Ware, thence to Windsor, thence to Pomfret Vt. and had Levi, Rufus, William, Isaac, John.
18. Isaac Lazell of Wardsbury Vt. and his wife Hannah had Nathan, Isaac, Mariel, Thomas, Samuel, John, Rachel : he d. a. 1827.
Nathan lived in Carroll, Co. of Chautaugue N. Y.
Isaac lived in Dover, Co. of Windham Vt.
Rachel m. a Taylor.
19. Robert Esq. (s. of Daniel 4.) lived in Buckland, and had Marshall, Hiram, Alva, Philip, Robert, and 5 Ds. ; he d. 1826 while a member of Gen. Court at Boston.
Marshall went to Pennsylvania.
Hiram and Philip went to N. York.
Giles Leach (from Weymouth) settled in W. B. before 1665 ; m. Anne Nokes 1656 ; she lived in Dea. Samuel Bass' family in Braintree ; he had Sarah 1656, Elizabeth, Samuel 1662, David, John, Ebenezer, Benjamin and perhaps others.
Sarah m. John Aldrich.
Elizabeth m. John Emerson 1693.
Sarah and Samuel b. at Weymouth. 2. Samuel (s. of Giles 1.) m. Mary, D. of Nicholas Byram, and had Samuel, Josiah, Seth, Elijah.
3. David (s. of Giles 1.) and his wife Hannah had Mercy 1693, Hannah 1696*, Ephraim 1699, Experience 1702, David 1706, Mehitabel 1711, Abigail 1714 ; he d. a. 1757. Wid. Hannah m. Ebenezer Edson 1758.
Ephraim m. Ruth, D. of John Bolton 1734.
Abigail m. Jacob Keith 1734.
David m. Elizabeth, D. of Francis Cook of Kingston 1742, and had Susanna 1743.
David Leach m. wid. Hannah Newcomb 1751.
4. John (s. of Giles 1.) and his wife Alice, had John 1695, Giles 1697, Stephen 1698, Abiel 1700, Ebenezer 1702, Mehitabel 1704, Timothy 1707, Nehemiah 1709, Solomon 1712, Jesse 1714, and he d. 1744.
5. Ebenezer (s. of Giles 1.) m. Prudence Stetson of Scituate 1707.
Lydia Leach m. Ephraim Jackson 1736.
6. Benjamin (s. of Giles 1.) m. Hepzibah Washburn 1702, and had Anne 1703, Joseph 1705, Mary 1708, Sarah 1711, Benjamin 1713, Ichabod 1716*, Jerathmael and Benanuel 1718, Nokes 1720, Susanna 1722, Hannah 1725, Phebe, Nathan, and Eunice.
Sarah m. Timothy Leach perhaps 1732.
Susanna m. Ezra Washburn 1742.
Phebe m. Abner Fobes.
Eunice m. William Keith 1767.
7. Samuel (s. of Samuel 2.) and his wife Content had Elijah 1726, and Samuel ; he d. a. 1756.
8. Seth (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Mary, D. of Thos. Whitman, and had a son Seth, who had a s. Thomas; who was probably father of Mr. Caleb Leach formerly of Plym., the clock maker and ingenious mechanist.
Seth Leach m. Jane, D. of Joseph Harvey 1732.
9. Elijah (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Jemima, D. of Benjamin Snow 1745, and had Elijah 1746, Jemima 1749 ; he removed to Westmoreland. Elijah Leach's wife died 1763.
Elijah Leach m. Ruth Prince of Kingston 1764.
Jemima Leach m. James Lovell 1785.
10. John (s. of John 4.) m. Susanna White perhaps 1719, and had Alice, Abiah, Stephen, he was d. in 1744, and before his father.
Alice m. David Perkins 1738.
11. Giles (s. of John 4.) went to Halifax, and had John, Micah, Simeon 1734, Elizabeth, and probably others.
John had a son John.
Micah was father of Silvanus.
Elizabeth m. Jona. Shurtliff of M.
12. Stephen (s. of John 4.) m. Sarah, D. of John Hooper 1725, and had Anne 1727, Stephen 1730; he d. 1729, and qu. if the wid. did not m. Ebenezer Snow 1737.
13. Ebenezer (s. of John 4.) m. Joanna, D. of Josiah Washburn 1734, and had Daniel 1735, Joanna 1738 ; he m. Lydia Tilson perhaps 1739, and Deborah Sampson perhaps 1751 ; he d. a. 1753. Ebenezer Leach m. Mary Wilbor 1741.
Deborah Leach m. Nathan Leach 1771.
Eben. Leach d. 1803 very aged.
14. Timothy (s. of John 4.) m. Sarah, D. of Benjamin Leach probably 1732; and . had Rebecca 1733, Ichabod 1735, Sarah 1739, Jonathan 1741, Levi 1744, Nathan 1746, Anne 1749, Timothy 1751.
Rebecca m. Joshua Warren Jr. 1760.
Sarah m. Jonas Hayward of E. probably 1762.
Anne m. James Sturtevant probably 1769.
15. Nehemiah (s. of John 4.) and his wife Mercy Staples, had Abigail 1730, Mercy 1732 ; (2nd. w. a Bryant of Plympton) James 1737, Ruth 1739, Robert 1740, Huldah 1742, Mehitabel 1744, Lydia, Nehemiah, Caleb, Susanna ; he d. 1769, she 1775.
Abigail m. Benjamin Keith 1749.
Mercy m. Nathaniel Latham 1756.
Ruth m. Benjamin Packard 1762.
Huldah m. Daniel Lazell 1761.
Mehitabel m. Nathan Jones.
Lydia m. John Dickerman of Roxbury 1770.
Susanna m. Dea. Isaac Wilbor.
16. Solomon (s. of John 4.) m. Tabitha, D. of Samuel Washburn 1736 ; she d. 1736 : and he m. Jerusha Bryant of Plympton 1739, and had Abisha 1739 ; his 2d. wife d. 1743, and he m. Hannah Leach 1743, D. perhaps of Benjamin 6, and had Jerusha 1746, Solomon 1750, Israel 1752, Hannah 1755, Susanna 1758, Joseph 1760.
Jerusha m. Isaac Leach of Westmoreland 1763.
Abisha lived in E. and was father probably of Joshua, Philip, Shepard, and others.
Philip was educated and settled as a lawyer in Me.
17. Jesse (s. of John 4.) and his w. Alice had Zadock 1741, Giles, Alice, Calvin ; he d. and she m. Daniel Bacon 1772.
Alice m. Silas Leach 1778.
18. James (s. of Ebenezer 5. perhaps) and his wife Elizabeth lived in Kingston, and had Elizabeth 1735, Mercy 1738, and Sarah 1740.
19. Dea. Joseph (s. of Benjamin 6.). m. Anna Harris 1736, and had Benjamin, Jepthah, Isaiah.
20. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 6.) m. Hannah, D. of John Keith 1740, and had Jedediah, Peleg, Benjamin, Eliphalet.
Benjamin Leach m. Joanna Wilbor 1751.
Benjamin Leach m. wid. Abigail Bassett 1763.
Wid. Hannah m. Israel Washburn and afterwards Dea. Hall of R.
21. Benanuel (s. of Benjamin 6.) m. Betty Perkins 1741, and Elizabeth, D. of Samuel Edson 1745.
Benanuel Leach m. Mehitabel, D. of Benjamin Allen of E. B.
22. Samuel (s. of Samuel 7.) and his wife Phebe had Phebe 1753, Silas 1755, Samuel 1757, Jeshurun 1760 ; he d. in the army 1760 ae. 33.
Silas m. Alice, D. of Jesse Leach 1778.
Samuel went to N. York.
23. Stephen (s. of John 10. perhaps) m. Lydia Flora of Halifax 1745, and had Lemuel 1745, Stephen 1747, Jeremiah 1751.
Stephen Leach m. Sarah, D. perhaps of Thomas Hooper 1745. Stephen Leach 1756 belonged to the baptist ch. in Swanzey.
24. Capt. Simeon (s. of Giles 11.) settled in St. Corner ; m. Elizabeth, D. of Theophilus Curtis 1765, and had Lot, Relief and Vashti. He d. 1777 ae. 43.
Relief m. Oliver Harris 1789.
Vashti m. William Harris 1796.
25. Dea. Daniel (s. of Eben. 13.) m. Bethiah, D. of Samuel Keith 1760, and had Joanna 1761, Bethiah 1764, Deborah 1766, Ebenezer 176S, Daniel 1771, Olive 1773, Lydia 1775, Susanna 1778, Celia 1780.
Joanna m. Dea. Isaac Wilbor.
Deborah m. Perez White 1787.
Olive m. Azariah Fobes 1793.
Susanna m. Isaac Hooper 1805.
Celia m. Eliab Hayward Jr. 1803.
26. Ichabod (s. of Timothy 14.) m. Penelope Cobb 1770, and had Jerathmael, Ephraim, Backus, Abigail.
Jerathmael m. Clarissa Leach 1798, and went to Warren.
Ephraim m. Sarah, D. of Zenas Conant 1805.
Backus m. Bethiah Hayward 1804.
Abigail m. Freeman Jones 1792.
27. Jonathan called Jr. or 2d. (s. of Timothy 14. or William 43.) m. Experience Hartwell 1768, and had Silence 1768, Olive 1770, Lois and Eunice 1772.
Jonathan Leach m. Abigail Leach 1763.
28. Levi (s. of Timothy 14.) m. Hannah, D. of Abner Fobes 1771, and had Levi.
29. Nathan (s. of Timothy 14.) lived in N. B. and m. Deborah, wid. perhaps of Ebenezer or D. of William Leach 1771, and had Reliance 1772, Thaddeus 1775 on the record of these births his wife is called Hannah.
Reliance m. Noah Tirrell 1794 ;
he had also Oliver, Sarah, who m. Allen Smith 1815, Libeus, Eliphalet, *Nathan. Oliver m. Sally, D. of Knight Brown 1803, and a D. of Peleg Stetson 1817, and had Ethridge, who m. a D. of Eleazar Joslyn, and Oliver and others perhaps.
30. James (s. of Nehemiah 15.) m. Hazadiah, D. of .Robert Keith 1765, and had Alpheus, Apollos, Caleb, James, Chloe, Roxiliana, Mercy, Sarah, Huldah, and Ruth.
James m. Betsy, D. of Nathaniel Leonard of T. 1811.
Chloe m. Col. Salmon Fobes 1807.
Roxiliana m. Elias Dunbar 1799.
Mercy m. Abraham Gould 1809.
Sarah m. Jonathan Keith 1792.
Huldah m. George Chipman 1803.
Ruth m. Joseph Bassett 1792.
31. Nehemiah (s. of Nehemiah I5.) m. Constant, D. of Robert Keith 1772, and had Eliphalet, Oliver, Lewis, and others.
Eliphalet m. Phebe Caswell 1798.
32. Caleb (s. of Nehemiah 15.) m. Molly Adams 1780, and had Lydia 1782.
33. Zadock (s. of Jesse 17.) m. Susanna, D. of Ezra Washburn of M. 1763, and had Susanna, Bezer, Abraham, Zebedee, Parnel, Rufus, Zadock.
Susanna m. Edward Richmond 1788.
Parnel m. Apollos Eaton of M. 1795.
Rufus m. Nancy, D. of Ebenezer Perkins 1798, and went to N. Y.
34. Giles (s. of Jesse 17.) m. Mehitabel Wilbor of R. and had Solomon, Hosea, Giles, Chloe, Alice, Laura, Betsy, Mehitabel, Abigail; he d. and she m. Luther Hall of R. 1806.
Solomon m. Mary Holmes of K. 1806, and went to Rochester.
Hosea m. Hannah, D. of Capt. Seth Keith 1807.
Chloe m. Zephaniah Wilbor 1796.
Alice m. Seth Crosman 1804.
Betsy m. a Richmond.
Mehitabel m. Samuel Cheesman 1806.
Abigail m. Elias Ware of Wrentham 1809.
35. Benjamin (s. of Joseph 19.) m. Mary, D. of Ebenezer Keith 1764, and had Joseph, Luke, Silas, Jephthah, Isaiah, Mary, Orphah, Lois, Hepzibah, Dinah. The mother d. 1791, and he m. Anna Short 1792, and had Anna 1793, Eunice 1796, Chloe 1799.
Mary m. Libeus Fobes Jr. 1807.
Orphah m. Jacob Chipman.
Lois m. James Starr Esq. 1797.
Hepzibah m. Marshall Keith 1798.
Dinah m. Fiske Ames 1819.
Anna m. Galen Harvey 1817.
Eunice m. Otis Harvey 1819.
36. Jedediah (s. of Benjamin 20.) m. Phebe, D. of Robert Keith, 1765, and had Wealthy 1767, Bernice 1771 : she d. 1811, he 1813.
Wealthy m. Joseph Leach 1788.
Bernice m. Roxana, D. of Nath'l Hooper, 1797.
Bernice m. Olive, D. of William Keith, 1810.
37. Lemuel (s. of Stephen 23.) m. Rebecca, D. of William Washburn, 1767, and had Oliver 1768, and then removed to Hardwick, and then to Wendell, and had eight more children, viz : Lemuel, Stephen, Gardner, Barnabas, Lewis, Artemas, Matilda and Rebecca.
Gardner was Representative 1839.
38. Capt. Lot (s. of Capt. Simeon 24.) m. a Keith, and had Simeon and Betsy.
Betsy m. Perez Southworth Jr. 1821.
39. Ebenezer (s. of Daniel 25.) m. Eunice, D. of Benjamin Keith 1794. Ebenezer Leach d. 1834.
40. Levi (s. of Levi 28.) m. Betsy, D. of Zenas Conant 1798, and had Deborah Jackson 1799, Giles 1801, Anna 1807, Clarinda 1810, Betsy 1812, Sarah 1816, Levi- 1818, George M. 1821. Giles gra. B. U.
41. Alpheus (s. of James 30.) m. Cassandana, D. of William Keith, 1787, and had Anna 1787, Ambrose 1791, Sally 1793, Alpheus 1796, Louisa 1800, Wightman Rathburn 1804, Hepzibah Rathburn 1806, James Keith 1811.
Ambrose m. Hannah, D. of Nehemiah Howard, 1815
Alpheus m. Eliza, D. of Bradford Mitchell.
42. Apollos (s. of James 30.) m. Chloe, D. of Christopher Dyer, 1796, and had Philo 1797, Sarah 1801, Olive 1803, Daniel 1806, Franklin 1809, Philander 1813.
Daniel gra. B. U. 1830, m. Mary Lawton of Newport, and lived in Quincy, and afterwards in Roxbury.
Franklin m. Mary, D. of Isaac Fobes.
Sarah m. Ansel Perkins of N. B.
43. William Leach m. Mary Cahoon 1741, and had Jonathan 1742, Olive 1747, Deborah 1750, Hepzibah 1752, Catharine 1756.
Deborah Leach m. Nathan Leach 1771.
44. Zadock (s. of Zadock 33.) m. Polly Frost of West Cambridge and had Jane, Vesta, Betsy, Zadock Washburn.
Jane m. a Hammond of Rochester.
45. Abraham (s. of Zadock 33.) m. Mary, D. of Amos Keith 1796, and had Eliza, Libeus, Susanna, Jesse, Eveline. He went to N. York, and there d.
Eliza m. Cyrus Miller of Northfield.
Libeus m. Mary Brooks of West Cambridge.
Susanna m. Wm. Piper of Irvin's Grant.
Jesse settled in N. York, and m. Mary Ann Miller.
46. Bezer (s. of Zadock 33.) m. Betsy Shaw of M. 1793, and had Ezra, Isaac, Anne.
47. Joseph (s. of Benjamin 35.) m. Wealthy, D. of Jedediah Leach 1788, and had Clarissa, who m. Ezekiel Dyer 1811.
48. Luke (s. of Benjamin 35.) m. Polly Starr 1783, and had Amory, and Harris, and removed to Me.
Amory m. Lydia, D. of Job Bearce 1817.
49. Silas (s. of Benjamin 35.) m. Lois Leach 1796, and went to Charleston S. C.
50. Thomas (s. or g. s. of Seth S. perhaps) had Thomas, Ebenezer, Seth, and several Ds.
Sarah m. Dea. John Soule 1807.
Seth m. Mercy Sampson of M. 1819.
Thomas m. Mary Nesbit of Leeds 1809, and Susan Holbrook of Braintree 1814.
51. Eliphalet (s. of Nathan 29.) m. Hannah, D. of Asa Shaw 1806, and had Isaac 1807, Nahum 1809, Hannah, Washington 1812, Dexter 1814, Martha 1815.
52. Nathan (s. of Nathan 29.) m. Mehitabel Gloyd, and had Nathan 1805, George Washington 1807, Mehitabel 1809, Eliza 1811, Sally 1814.
53. Peleg Leach m. Sally Gilmore 1802, and had Peleg 1802, Sarah Field 1804, Adeline Cornet 1806, Olive 1807, Elisha Gilmore 1809, William Tirrell 1810, Ebenezer 1813.
54. Philo Esq. (s. of Apollos 42.) m. Lucia, D. of Capt. Joseph Hooper, and had James Edward 1825.
Tabitha Leach m. Robert Keith 1741.
Rhoda m. David Alden of M. 1755.
Orpha m. Edward Fobes 1761.
Zilpha m. Edward Hayward of E. 1760.
Dinah m. John Shaw of R. 1761.
Susanna m. Levi Hooper 1767.
Mary m. Ebenezer Washburn 1772.
Olive m. John Jones of M. 1770.
Sarah m. Oliver Wentworth 1779.
Polly m. Ephraim Packard 1789.
Jenny m. Lemuel Wilbor 1799.
Lois m. Baruch Wilbor 1799.
Susanna m. Asa Packard 1811.
Eunice m. Seth Britton of R. 1817.
Anna m. Zenas Knapp of R. 1817.
Minerva m. Jarvis White of R. 1819.
Deborah m. Ziba (or Liba) Conant 1820.
Lois m. Seth Packard Jr. 1764.
William m. Mary Cohoon 1741.
Jonathan m. Frances Cohoon 1741.
Clarissa m. Jerathmael Leach 1798.
Asa of Killingsly m. Eunice Turner 1787.
Libeus m. Peggy Starr 1791 and went to Me.
Eliab m. Eunice, D. of William Keith 1802, and went to Charlemont, had 2 ss. in Boston.
Lawrence Leach of Salem, freeman 1631 ; d. 1662 ae. 83 : left a wid. Elizabeth : ss. Clement (in England) John, Richard, and Robert ; perhaps Giles, above was also his son or grandson.
Richard d. 1647, and left a son John.
John was at Salem 1637, d. 1659.
Robert at Salem 1637, freeman 1644.
James Lendall (of Duxbury) was an original proprietor of Bridgewater ; his will 1652 at Dux. : his w. Mary ; both d. about 1652 ; he had Timothy and Abigail ; he gave his share in B. to Timothy ; Constant Southworth appointed to administer and take care of the children. He never came to B.
1. Solomon Leonard (from Duxbury) an original proprietor, and one of the earliest settlers in Bridgewater.
The name was sometimes written LEONARDSON, LENNERSON, or LENNER, but by the family themselves always written LEONARD.
He d. 1686 his widow Mary ; his children were Samuel, John, Jacob, Isaac, Solomon, and Mary who m. John Pollard of T. 1673.
2. Philip Leonard's estate was settled at Duxbury 1708 by his son-in-law Samuel Hill, who m. Phebe 1694 : this man might have been brother or son of Solomon.
3. Samuel (s. of Solomon 1.) settled his father's estate 1686, the first settlement recorded in Plymouth Probate Court. Samuel perhaps went to Worcester.
Samuel Leonardson, a boy taken by the Indians at Worcester Mar. 15, 1697, Was allowed £1210s. for escaping from them, and slaying several of them, about 1700.—.(Mass. Records.)
4. John (s. of Solomon 1.) and his wife Sarah had John, Enoch, Moses, Josiah, Joseph, and Sarah : he d. 1699. Sarah m. Thos. Washburn perhaps 1708.
5. Jacob (s. of Solomon 1.) ; his will 1716, mentions his present wife Susanna ; he had Abigail, Susanna, Experience, Mary, Sarah, Solomon, Jacob 1702* : he was warned out 1693 : he appeared before in Weymouth and also in Worcester.
Abigail b. at Weymouth 1680, m. Thomas Washburn.
Susanna b, at Wey. 1683, m. Ebenezer Hill 1714.
Sarah b. at B. 1699, m. William Orcutt 1721.
Jacob, Isaac, and Moses all settled in Worcester as early as 1718.
Moses was a selectman and ensign there 1725.
6. Isaac (s. of Solomon 1.) and his wife Deliverance had Hannah 1680, and probably Isaac, Deliverance, Joseph, and others.
Isaac m. Mary Randall 1701.
Deliverance m. Samuel Washburn 1741.
Isaac, the father, conveyed his homestead to his son Josepl 1717, and went to Worcester perhaps.
7. Solomon (s. of Solomon I.), no account of.
There was an Ephraim Leonard in S. B. in 1738, who had several actions in court at that date ; whose s. he was is not ascertained.
Martha Leonard m. Ebenezer Eddy of Norton 1734.
8. John (s. of John, 4.) had Seth, 1733, Orphah 1735 : he had a dis. from W. B. ch. to Sutton 1741.
9. Enoch (s. of John 4.) m. Elizabeth (D. probably of John) Hooper 1707, and had Enoch 1707, Elizabeth 1719.
Elizabeth Leonard, the mother perhaps, m. James Washburn 1720.
10. Josiah (s. of John 4.) m. Marjoram Washburn,1699, and had John, Josiah, Ezekiel, Samuel, Nathan, Elizabeth, Mary, Margene : he m. Abigail, D. of John Washburn 1717 : his will 1743.
Mary m. Daniel Harrington of Marlborough 1733.
Margene m. a Pratt.
11. Joseph (s. of John 4.) m. Hannah, D. of Richard Jennings 1712, and had Joseph and Hannah 1713, Moses 1714, Seth 1715, Timothy 1718, Rebecca 1721, Mebitabel 1724, Thankful 1726, Ebenezer 1728.
12. Capt. Solomon (s. of Jacob 5.) m. Elizabeth, D. of David Perkins, and had Experience 1732, Solomon 1733, Elizabeth, Susanna. He d. 1761.
Experience m. Oliver Alden 1765.
Elizabeth m. Hezekiah Hooper 1758.
Susanna m. Samuel Whitman 1761.
13. Wm. Leonard m. Sarah, D. of John Bolton : had Wm. 1710, John 1711, Sarah 1714, James 1716, Samuel 1715, Silas 1721, Mercy 1723, Jonathan 1726.
James m. Jemima Heiford perhaps 1737.
14. Josiah (s. of Josiah 10.) m. Jemima, D. of Josiah Washburn 1740, and had Susanna 1742, Rebecca 1744, Josiah 1745*, Marah 1748, Seth 1750, Moses 1752. He d. 1760 the. wid. made her will 1784.
Susanna m. Abner Kingman of M. 1762.
Rebecca m. Capt Abraham Washburn 1765.
Marah m. Nathaniel Orcutt 176S.
Seth d. 1775.
15. Nathan (s. of Josiah 10.) m. Thankful Besse of Wareham 1744, and had Abigail 1745, Lydia 1747*, Sarah 1748*, Nathan 1750*, Huldah 1752*, Daniel 1754, Sarah 1756, Phebe 1758, Nathan 1760, Thankful. He d. 1765.
Abigail m. Israel Keith I767.
Sarah m. John Miller of M. 1778.
Phebe d. 1779.
Daniel m. Phebe Leonard of R. 1781, and went to Pomfret.
Nathan was a physician, m. Anstress, and had Seth 1789, and went to R. I.
Thankful m. Rufus Conant 1783.
Nathan Leonard was a soldier at Roxbury 1776.
16. Samuel (s. of Josiah 10. or william 13.) m. Lydia Besse and had Lydia 1751, Samuel 1753, Roland 1755, Silvanus 1759, Silas, Eunice, Zilphah, Abigail.
Roland m. Lydia Smith of Walpole 1786.
Silvanus m. Eunice, D. of Samuel Kinsley 1786, and had a D. Clarissa who m. Leonard Pratt 1815 and went to Me.
Silas m. Nabby Smith 1785.
Zilpha m. Cephas Kinsley 1787.
Abigail of M. m. Jacob Perkins 1788.
This family removed perhaps to Pomfret Vt.
Samuel Leonard d. 1792 ae. 71.
17. Joseph (s. of Joseph 11.) m. Mary, D. of Nathaniel Packard 1721, and had Joseph, David and Jonathan twins, Dan, Simeon, Seth*, Sarah ; Mary, the mother, d. 1770.
Sarah m. Isaac Pool 1743.
18. Seth (s. John 8 perhaps) m. Silence, D. of Nehemiah Packard 1769, and had Nehemiah 1769, Lucy 1772 ; be d. 1775, and his wid. m. Ebenezer Benson 1777.
Nehemiah m. Phebe Pratt 1792.
Lucy m. Alexander Alden 1792.
19. Capt. Solomon (s. of Solomon 12.) m. Joanna, D. of Joseph Washburn 1756, and had Jacob 1757, Mary 1759, Hannah 1761, Enoch 1763, Solomon 1765, Marcus 1768, Ophir. He and several of his sons removed westward.
Capt. Jacob m. Mary, D. of Isaac Swift 1788.
Mary m. Jeremiah Conant 1762.
Hannah m. Capt. Timothy Mitchell 1753.
Solomon m. Huldah, D. of Joseph Orcutt 1786.
Marcus m. Polly Richards 1793.
Enoch m. Abigail Hammond 1788.
20. David (s. of Joseph 17,) was with General Winslow in seizing the Neutral French at Nova Scotia 1755, m. Mary Hall of T. 1769, and had David, Zenas L., Mary, Bernard, Caleb F. Linus, George W., Sarah, Fanny, James, Charles Frederick, Olive, and Hannah.
David gra. B. U. 1792, m. Polly Pierce of M. 1797.
Zenas L. gra. B. U. 1794, and settled in the ministry at Sturbridge.
Mary m. Daniel Leonard 1791, and afterwards Clifford Carver 1806.
Sarah m. Jona. Bassett 1813.
Fanny m. Zephaniah Dean of M. 1816.
Olive m. Cephas Tomson of M. 1802.
Bernard d. in the western country 1834.
Caleb F. Esq. m. Nancy Tomson of M. 1807.
George W. went also to the west.
21. Jonathan (s. of Joseph 17.) m. Martha, D. of Benjamin Washburn 1758, and had Martha 1759, Jonathan, David, Benjamm. She d. 1804 ae. 73.
Martha m. Cornelius Pratt
Jonathan gra. H. U. 1786, and settled as a physician at Sandwich.
David m. Abigail Clark 1796.
22. Dan (s. of Joseph 17.) m. Mary, D. of James Dunbar 1750, and had Mary 1751, Dan 1752, Experience 1753, Phebe 1755, Ziba 1756, Josiah 1758, Keziah 1760*, Calvin, Sally, Rosamond.
Mary m. Thomas Delano of Fairhaven.
Dan m. Hope Clapp of M. 1775, and went to Ware.
Experience m. Luther Reading of M. 1773..
Phebe m. Joseph Delano of Fairhaven.
Ziba m. Chloe Shaw of M. 1783 and went to Ashfield.
Josiah went to M.
Calvin went to Holly.
Sally m. Isaac Shepard of Ashfield.
Rosamond m. Nathan Shaw 1782.
23. Simeon (s. of Joseph 17.) m. Ann Smith of Lexington 1764, and had Rachel 1764, Jonas 1767, Ruth 1768, Anna 1770, Lois 1773, Oliver 1777, Molly 1779, Nahum and Simeon ; he d. 1793 ae. 56.
Rachel m. William Swift 1795.
Anna m. Ithamar Finney 1799.
Lois m. John Croal Stetson 1795.
Jonas removed to Oakham and there m. Chloe Allen 1804.
Ruth m. Lazell Dean perhaps of R. 1789.
24. Samuel (s. of Samuel 16.) m. Deborah, D. of Nathan Mitchell Esq. 1777, and had Samuel, Ansel, Rebecca, Mary.
Col. Samuel m. Mehitabel Bennet of A. and had Samuel LaFayette, 1824.
Ansel m. Deborah, D. of John Conant 1807.
Rebecca m Libeus Blossom 1804.
Mary m. Silvanus Sturtevant 1801.
25. Capt. Nahum (s. of Simeon 23.) m. Rhoda, D. of Nathan Snell 1812, and had Jonas 1813, Rhoda 1815, Anna Smith 1818, Cyrus 1820 : she d. 1821.
26. Simeon (s. of Simeon 23.) m. Boadicea Tomson of M. 1817, and had Boadicea 1818, Rachel Stone 1819, Fanny 1821, Eliza* and Eloisa* 1823, Sarah Louisa 1824.
27. Barna Leonard (from Taunton) m. Phebe, D. of Joseph Bassett 1780, and had Barna, Ruth.
Barna Jr. m. Lydia, D. of Benjamin Sprague 1815.
Ruth m. Ophir Mitchell 1803.
Benjamin Leonard m..Hannah Phillips 1715.
Benjamin m. Keturah Briggs 1756 ; she d. 1757.
Eliphatet of E. m. Silence Howard 1755.
Zadock m. Deborah Keith 1765.
Olive of M. m. Dr. Samuel Shaw 1781.
Lucy of M. m. Benjamin Whitman Jr. 1796.
Abigail m. Jacob Fuller 1800.
Spencer m. Mary Wood 1805.
Ann of R. m. Benjamin Mehuren 1798.
Betsy m. Bradford Harlow. 1806.
Lois m. James Capen Jr. of St. 1807.
Philibert of M. m. Benjamin Hayward 1807.
Betsy T. m. James Leach 1811.
Anna m. Thomas Conant 1812.
Lewis m. Betsy Leonard 1812.
Polly m. Francis Perkins 1815.
Lucy m. Ira Conant 1818.
Keziah, D. of Jonathan of M. m. Simeon W. Mitchell 1819.
Arza m. Louisa Maria White 1820.
Clarinda m. Henry W. Pratt 1821.
Seth m. Charlotte Dean 1821.
Wid. Ann m. David Pratt 1738.
Lydia m. Joseph Pratt 1712.
. James Leonard of Taunton had Thomas, James, and a D. Hannah born at Braintree 1671; he and his brother Henry came from Pontepool in Wales and settled in Braintree as early as 1652, and thence went to Taunton, and Henry afterwards went to N. Jersey ; whether connected with Solomon or not is not ascertained.
Nehemiah Lincoln (s. of Ezekiel of Abington) m. Kezia, D. of Dea. James Packard 174S, and lived in N. B. and d. 1818 ae. 91.
2. Gideon (s. of Ezekiel 2d. of Abington brother of Nehemiah above) was adopted by his uncle Nehemiah, and had his estate and settled in N. B. ; m. Martha, D. of Luke Perkins 1781, and had Nehemiah 1782, Mehitabel 1784, Keziah 1785, Ruel 1787, Charles 1788*, d. 1794, Martha 1789, Content 1791*, Roxana 1792, Triphena 1792, Charles 1795, Luke, Serena.
Capt. Nehemiah m. Martha, D. of Simeon Packard 1802.
Mehitabel m. Japhet Beals of Augusta 1803.
Keziah m. Bela Curtis 1803.
Martha m. Benjamin Gardner of Augusta 1806.
Serena m. Ziba Bisbee 1814.
Charles m. Rebecca Wood Porter 1816, and went to E.
Luke m. a White.
4. Ruel (s. of Gideon 2.) m. Eunice, D. of John Willis 1804, and had Roxana 1805*, Charles 1807, Isaac 1809, Elbridge 1810, Emeline 1813*, Eliza 1815. He settled in E. B.
William of T. m. Hannah Wade 1751.
Hannah of Scituate m. Perez Howard 1795.
Susanna of Hingham m. John Mitchell 1795.
Rufus m. Lucy Ellis 1804.
Deborah of Hingham m. Artemas Hale Esq. 1815.
Thomas Lindsay lived in W. B. and m. Elizabeth, D. of William Turner 1745, and had William 1747, Mary 1749, Hannah 1752, James 1755, Thomas 1758.
James m. but had no children.
Thomas m. Thankful Baily 1786.
Mary m. Nathaniel Ames 1734.
Lurania m. Martin Howe 1820.
Betsy d. 1815.
John m. Abigail, D. perhaps of Samuel Washburn 1735.
James m. Hannah Turner 1744.
Daniel Littlefield m. Rebecca, D. of Josiah Williams 1732, and had Edmund 1733, Mary 1734, Daniel 1737, Rebecca 1739, Bethiah 1742, Martha .1744*, Seth 1746, Susanna 1747, Martha 1750, Reuben 1753*, Silence 1754, Adam 1758.
Daniel Littlefield and his wife Rachel had Ralph 1760* ; she d. 1760 ; and he m. Catharine, D. of Joseph Cole 1762, and had Rachel 1762, Catharine 1764, Josiah 1765, Waldo 1763.
Mary m. David Wade 1756.
Susanna m. Edward Keith of Easton 1765.
Martha m. Luke Keith of Easton 1765.
2. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel of Braintree) m. Hannah, D. of Moses Curtis and lived in St. and had Samuel, Nathaniel, and. Hannah, who m. a Niles.
3. Maj. Samuel (s. of Nathaniel 2.) m. a Wentworth, and had Samuel*, John*, Hovenden*, Charles, Cassander, Dorothy, Sally; Abigail, Hannah.
Charles m. Ann, D. of Jonas Howard 1821.
Dorothy m. John May 1807.
Sally m. Sidney Howard 1820.
4. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 2.) m. a Tucker and had Nathaniel, James, Isaac, Darius, Betsy, Myra.
Nathaniel m. a Brown.
James m. a Cary.
Darius m. Lydia, D. of Jonas Howard.
Hannah of R. m. Ezekiel Reed 1807.
Esther m. Samuel Soper 1731.
Capt John Loring (from Plympton probably) m. Ruth Sturtevant, and lived in E. B. and had Daniel 1754, Silvia 1757 ; he had James, Nathaniel, Peleg, Deborah, Rebecca, Priscilia, and Mary, before he came here.
Deborah m. Lemuel Kingman 1754.
Rebecca m. Jacob Mitchell 1763.
His wid. Ruth perhaps m. Isaac Kingman 1770.
James m. Jane, D. of Isaac Kingman 1770, and had John Esq. who m. Jennet, D. of Joshua Barrel 1794, and Laban and. James.
Priscilla m. Ebenezer Barker, and had 2 Ds. Priscilla, and Deborah ; Priscilla m. Tilden Crooker, and Deborah m. David Oldham Esq.
Nathan'l went to Spenser.
Peleg taken by the Algerines.
Daniel m. a Pope in Boston, and lived in Nantasket.
Mary not m.
Silvia m. Job Barstow.
2. James Loring of N. B. m. Jennet, D. of Amos Whitman 1809, and had Lucius 1811*, Vashti 1814. He probably first m. Mercy, D. of Ezra Warren 1800.
3. Ignatius Esq. (of Plympton) m. Bathsheba, D. of Capt. Jonathan Bass 1750, and had Sarah 1751, Ignatius, Jacob, Jane, Calvin and others.
Jane m. Capt Moses Inglee.
One D. m. a Bradford ; another, Silvanus Bartlett Jr.
Capt. Ignatius went to Me.
Jacob remained at Plympton.
Molly d. 1776 as. 47.
Caleb of Plympton m. Sarah wid. of Caleb Packard and D. of Nathan Howard Esq. 1802.
Hannah of Plympton m. Lewis Ames 1815.
Dr. Shubael Lovell of Barnstable m. Bethiah, D. of Dea. James Perkins 1797, and his ss. Shubael, Nehemiah G., and Lorenzo O., live in S. B. The two last gra. B. U. 1833.
James Lovell m. Mary Johnson of St. 1761.
Andrew Lovell m. Lydia, D. of Nath'l Conant 1712.
James m. Dorcas Pratt 1754.
James m. Jemima Leach 1785.
Barnet Loveridge and his wife Mehitabel, had Caleb Leach 1789 or 1809, Robert Lee 1811*.
LOWDEN or LOUDOUN.
Nathaniel Lowden (from Duxbury) m. Experience, D. of Joshua Pratt 1762, and lived in E. B. and had Sarah 1762, Susanna 1764, John 1765, Experience 1768, Jacob 1771, and Hannah 1776. The mother d. 1813 ae. 72.
Sarah m. Benjamin Darling 1785.
Susanna m. Oliver Pratt 1787.
John m. Susanna Clark 1793.
Experience m. Josiah Parris 1788, and went to Me., and was mother of Virgil Parris,-member of Cong.
Jacob m. Susanna, D. of .Mark Phillips 1794.
Hannah m. Calvin Reed 1807.
The ss. went to Plainfield.
Richard and Mary Loudon of Boston had John 1641, and Jeremy 1643.