History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
HEIFORD or HAYFORD.
John Heiford (or Hayford) m. Lydia Pierce 1706. Edward Hayford's w. d. 1779, ae. 22, and he m. Lenity, widow of Nathan Kingman, 1779: she was a Thomas of Marshfield : his 2d w.
John Orcutt m. a Heiford.
Thomas Washburn m. Abigail Heiford 1711.
John Hegene and his wife Elizabeth had John 1744, Mary 1745, Elizabeth 1747.
Thomas Henry m. Ann Miller 1743. This is one of the Irish Families that settled in N. B. a. 1740.--He had Thomas 1744, James 1746, Jennet 1747, John 1750, Margaret 1752, David 1754, Ann 1756, Samuel William.
James m. Mehitabel Hall 1770.
Jennet m. Hosea Dunbar of Halifax, and had three Ds. viz. Betsy Dunbar, who m. William Mitchell 1793, and Jennet Dunbar who m. first Allen Latham 1796, and then Zephaniah Howard 1800, and Nancy who m. Ebenezer Hall 1816.
He and all his family except Jennet moved to Harperfield, N. Y. about 1771, and Thomas and James were killed by the Indians and Tories in 1775 or 1776, and John was taken prisoner and d. in Canada.
Robert Henry m. wid. Mary Wormel.
James Hewett and his w. Abigail had Abigail 1730, Sarah 1732, Susanna 1733, Bathsheba 1735, Abiah 1739, Abraham 1742.
HIGGINS or HAGEN
John Higgins and his w. Elizabeth resided in E. B. and had Elizabeth 1747, who d. 1777 ; he d. be-. fore 1760 ; he.owned the Wesley Place, so called. He was in communion with Mr. Morehead's church in Boston ; probably a Scotchman.
l. Jonathan Hill and his w. Mary early settled in E. B. ; he was s. probably of John and Frances of Dorchester ; he had Nathaniel, Ebenezer, Jonathan, Mary and Bethiah.
Jonathan perhaps went to Mid'o.
Mary m. Elnathan Bassett 1702.
Bethiah was a member of the Church 1724.
2. Nathaniel (s. of Jona. 1.) m. Hannah, D. of Nathaniel Conant 1710, (she perhaps afterward .m. Sam'l Hayward 1732,) and had David 1712, Abijah 1714, Mary 1717, Ebenezer 1719, Josiah 1722, Hannah 1725.
Mary m. Benaiah Smith of Easton 1738.
Hannah m. William Snow 1743.
Nathaniel sold his homestead to Ebenezer 1718.
3. Ebenezer (s. of Jonathan 1.) m. Susanna, D. of Jacob Leonard 1714, and had Ebenezer 1715, Jacob 1717, Israel 1719, Eleazar 1730. The father d. 1760 : the mother 1764.
Ebenezer quits his estate to his brother Eleazar 1760, and d. a. 1767.
4. Ebenezer (it is not certain who this man was ; he might have been a brother of Jonathan 1.) m. Ruth, D. probably of Guido Bailey, and had Ruth 1685, Ebenezer 1686.
Ebenezer and Sarah his w. sold land to John Irish 1694 : he d. 1696.
Ruth m. James Hodges of Taunton 1704.
This family probably went to Taunton ; there was a John of Kingston R. I., son of Ebenezer, perhaps of this family.
5. David (s. of Nathaniel 2.) m. Mary, D. of Thomas Buck 1733, and had Anna 1747, Eunice 1749, Molly 1751, Jerusha 1753, Tiley (or Silence) 1755.
Anna m. Joseph Vinton 1774.
Eunice m. Abraham Joslyn 1769.
Molly m. Nehemiah Shaw 1775.
Jerusha m. William Snow 1776.
6. Abijah (s. of Nathaniel 2.) m. Sarah Lawson 1747, and lived in N. B., and had James 1753, Robert 1756.
7. Ebenezer (s. of Nathaniel 2.) m. Abigail Stoddard (or Stodder) of Hingham 1749 : she d. 1775 : he had Jonathan, Joseph, Solomon, John.
This family lived in S. Corner, Abington, and N. B. till after 1775.
He m. Bathsheba Rogers of Weymouth 1777, for a 2d. wife, and lived in Weymouth, and there d. ae. 88.
Jonathan settled in Abington.
Joseph d. leaving a D. Susanna in Abington.
John, went to Boston, no children, and he and his w. di of small pox 1839.
8. Josiah (s. of Nathaniel 2.) and his w. Mary, had Mary 1747, Huldah, Josiah 1751, Noah 1753, Abigail, Sarah, William 1760, Elizabeth, Prudence, Barnum 1770. This family lived in S. B. : he d. 1805 ae. 83.
Mary m. Nathaniel Ames 1783.
Josiah m. Abigail, D. of Jonathan Beal 1779, and removed to Plainfield : had Ds. but no son.
Noah m. Hannah Beal 1780, and had Oliver 1781, Cyrus 1786, Alban 1790.
Sarah m. Samuel Codding of T. 1781.
Barnum m. Mary Ellis of R. 1806.
9. Jacob (s. of Ebenezer 3.) m. Abigail, D. of Ebenezer Bonney of Pembroke 1754, and had Hezekiah 1754, Jacob 1756, Susanna 1759, Abigail 1761, Eleazar 1764 ; she d. 1781 ae. 51 : he 1804 ae. 87.
Hezekiah and Eleazer went to Me. and lived on an Island near N. Yarmouth.
10. Israel (s. of Ebenezer 3.) m. Beriah, D. of Thomas Latham 1748, and had Thomas 1749, John 1753, Tamor 1755, Keziah 1757, Joseph 1759, Anne 1761, Israel 1763, Deliverance 1764, Ebenezer 1766, Deborah 1768, Beriah Latham 1770.
11. Eleazar (s. of Ebenezer 3.) m. Anna, D. of Dr. Daniel Field 1769 : they had no children : he d. 1791 ae. 62.
12. Solomon (s. of Ebenezer 7.) m. Rachel Stowell of Abington and afterwards a Hollis of Braintree : he had a D. Polly 1792 : he went to Plainfield.
13. Joseph (s. of Ebenezer 7.) b. and lived in Abington : m. a Stowell of Hingham and lived there till he d. a. 1932 : he had Nabby, Susan, Joseph, Dama, Hannah, Charles, Daniel.
14. Jacob (s. of Jacob 9.) m. Anne, D. of Thomas Tribou 1780. and had Melzar 1783, Jacob 1754, Nanny 1786, Leonard 1788, Bela 1790, Bezer 1792 ; she d. 1823 ae 65 ; he 1827 ae. 70.
Melzar m. Mary Howland 1813, and had Caleb, Lydia, .Benjamin and Mary, and went to Minot.
Jacob gra. Br. U. 1807, and settled in the law at Minot, and m. a Lobdell.
Nanny m. Ephraim Cary 1809, and went to Minot.
Leonard m. Polly, D. of Jonah Willis 1817, and had Charles ; he m. a 2d. w. and has a D.
Bela m. an Orr, sister of his brother Bezer's wife.
Bezer m. Hannah, D. of Robert Orr 1816, and was killed 1821 by the over-setting of his cart.
15. John Hill was an early settler in Bridgewater, but soon died or removed, and has left no posterity.here. Jonathan sold land to him in Br. 1694.
Susanna m. John Smith 1777.
16. Samuel Hill of Duxbury m. Phebe, D. of Philip Leonard 1694 : lived in Duxbury, and had Abigail 1697, Philip 1699, Samuel 1701, Richard 1702, Ebenezer 1705, Ephraim 1707, Joseph and Lydia 1710. There was a Leonard Hill in Pembroke, probably one of this family.
1. Seth Hobart (s. of Col. Aaron of Abington) m. Esther, D. of Jona. Allen of Braintree 1782, and settled in E. B., and had Betsy 1783, Jonathan 1786, Poll1790, Joseph 1796, Esther 1798. She d. 1813 : he 1814.
Polly m. David Pratt 1815.
Joseph m. Ruth Sherman of Pembroke 1820.
Esther m. Micah White Jr. 1818.
1. Hon. Aaron Hobart (s. of Aaron Esq. and Grandson of Col. Aaron of Abington) m. Maria, D. of Andrew Leach, and lived in Hanover and afterwards settled in E. B., and had Susan, Aaron, George, Maria, Edward, John, Catharine.
Elizabeth m. Willis Harden 1802.
Salome m. Marcus Alden 1807.
Benjamin Hobart Esq. m. Lucy Lazell 1811.
John Hobart m. Mary, D. of Matthew Allen 1765 : he was father of John Hobart Esq. ofLeicester.
Noah Hobart m. Deborah W. Thomas 1789.
Jemima m. Shubael Clark of Rehoboth 1818.
William and Hannah Holden had Samuel 1737, William 1739.
Jona. Holloway m. Elizabeth Brown 1746, and had William 1747, Seth 1751, Jonathan 1756.
1. Col. John Holman of Milton sold his farm there to Gov. Jolla. Belcher 1727, and came and settled in E. B.: he gra. at H. U. 1700, and m. Ann, D. of John Quincy Esq. of Braintree 1705 ; represented the town of Bridgewater several years, and was much respected ; had John, Ann, Peggy, Ruth, and Mary : he had a 2d. wife Sarah, who d. 1740 ae. 60; he d. 1759 ae. 80 : his will dated 1757, proved 1759 : Dea. Thomas Whitman Exor.
Ann m..Joseph Billings of Stoughton 1730.
Peggy m. John Johnson 1731.
Ruth m. Benjamin Johnson 1732.
Mary m. Ezra Cary 1737.
2. Capt. John (s. of Col. John 1.) m. Anne, D. of Isaac Harris 1734, and had Sarah 1736, Anne 1738, William 1740, Abigail 1743, Isaac and Jane : he d. 1755: she 1757 ae. 45.
Sarah m. James Keith 1752.
Anne m. Benjamin Byram 1757.
William d. 1762.
Abigail m. Seth Keith 1764.
Jane m. Ephraim Cary 1771.
1. John Holmes of Halifax m. Abigail, D. of Abijah Thayer 1799, and lived in W. B. and had Anna 1800, Freeman 1803, Vesta 1804, Abigail 1806.
2. Dea. Cornelies Holmes and Elizabeth settled in S. B. and had Cornelius 1781, Ellis 1783, Benjamin 1784, Thomas 1788, Betsy 1791, Charles and Henry 1793, William 1796.
Benjamin m. Waltstill Benson 1807.
3. Cornelius (s. of Dea. Cornelius 2.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Ezra Conant 1806, and had Cornelius 1807, George W: 1811, Gains 1816.
4. Ellis (s. of Dea. Cornelius 2.) m. Lois Holbrook Bartlett, and settled in E. B., and had Louisa Bartlett 1813, Ellis Winslow 1816 : his wife d. 1830 ae. 39 : and he m. Mehitable, D. of Stephen Hearsey.
Ephraim m. Margaret, D. of John Washburn 1741.
Betty of M. m. Lot Conant 1744.
Sarah m. Jonathan Carver 1746.
William m. Elizabeth Hamlin 1760.
Experience m. Ebenezer Perkins 1751.
Eunice of H. m. Benjamin Sprague 1762, and Solomon Ames 1781.
Hannah of H. m. Barnabas Snell 1781.
Benjamin of N. m. Mehitabel Howard 1783.
Samuel m. Mary Bryant 1791.
Lucy m. John Harden 1792.
Samuel m. Mary Orcutt 1794.
Otis of T. m. Nabby Fobes 1796.
Patience m. Joseph Bailey of Freeport 1796.
Ellis Jr. m. Patty Conant 1803.
Howland m. Huldah Copeland 1804.
Mary m. Solomon Leach 1806.
Ellis of H. m. Lucy Copeland 1806.
Betsy of H. m. Alpheus Brett 1807.
Nabby m. Eaton Aldridge 1807.
Ellis of S. B. m. Content Chipman of H. 1808.
Mary m. Caleb Bassett Jr. 1811.
Samuel m. Deborah Packard 1813, and d. 1827 ae. 34.
Abigail m. Samuel Sturtevant 1816.
Melzar of H. m. Abigail Howe 1818.
Roxana m. Hosea Packard 1818.
Philander m. Elizabeth F., D. of Parmenas Brett, and had George N. 1828, and Susan W. 1830.
John Hooper and his w. Sarah, D. perhaps of John Harden, had Nathaniel 1703, Sarah 1705, James 1708, and perhaps others born before they came to this town.
Sarah m. Stephen Leach 1725, and afterwards Ebenezer Snow perhaps 1737. His estate was settled 1709, and the wid. Sarah m. Francis Wood 1710.
John, Thomas, and William below, were probably his ss.; and Elizabeth who m. Enoch Leonard 1707, and Ruth who m. John Bolton Jr. 1710, might have been his sisters.
2. John (s. of John 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Nathaniel or J ohn Packard, 1722, and had John 1725, Winslow 11729, Hezekiah 1732, Joseph 1735, Rebecca 1738 : his will 1741, her's 1742, and she made her brother Joseph Packard Exor.
Rebecca m. Dea. Joseph Copeland 1760.
Winslow with his friend Timothy Mitchell were both lost at sea in youth.
3. Thomas (s. probably of John 1.) m. Sarah, D. of Nathaniel, Sam'l, or John Packard, 1722, and had Sarah 1730, Thomas 1737, John 1739, Jerusha 1743: these were all bap. in E. B.
Thomas m. Deborah Cushman of Halifax 1761, and she. afterwards m. Wm. Dunham 1781.
John m. Sarah Pool 1766, and d. 1807, ae. 67, without children.
Jerusha m. Robert Latham 1778, and afterwards Jacob Mitchell 1791, and d. 1829, ae. 85 : she had no children by either husband.
Sarah m. Stephen Leach perhaps 1749.
4. William (s. probably of John I.) m. Lois Thomas of Mid'o., and had William, Thomas 1731, Lois 1733, Elisha 1736, Susanna 1740, David 1743, Luther 1746, Calvin 1749. His estate was divided among the heirs 1757.
Thomas m. a White, and afterwards Ebenezer Ames' widow, but had no children.
Lois m. Jona. Cary 1754.
Elisha went to Stockbridge.
5. Nathaniel (s. of John 1.) and his w. Elizabeth had Elizabeth 1729, Mary 1731, Patience 1732, Nathaniel 1735, Sarah 1737.
Mary m. Zephaniah Keith 1750.
Nathaniel m. Elizabeth Bryant of M. 1762.
6. James (s. of John 1.) m. Mary, D. of Isaac Johnson 1737, and had James, Milicent, Abihail. He d. 1784, ae. 76.
Milicent m. Daniel Keith 1766.
Abihail m. Solomon Pratt 1767.
7. John (s. of John 2.) m. Sarah Cowing 1746, and had John 1747, Sarah 1749 ; his will 1750.
Sarah m. Thomas Lawrence 1769, and afterwards Capt. Barney of Taunton.
8. Hezekiah (s. of John 2.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Solomon Leonard, 1759, and had Elizabeth, Winslow, Joseph, Hezekiah : she d.1799, ae. 62 ; and he m. Hannah, wid. of Timothy Conant, 1803 : she was a Blackman.
Elizabeth m. Benjamin Conant 1782.
Hezekiah gra. H. U. 1759, and settled in the ministry at Boylston, and d. single 1795.
9. William (s. of William 4.) m. Susannah, D. of Jonathan Cary, 1759, and had William : the father d. young ; the wide d. 1795, ae. 62.
10. David (s. of William 4.) m. Martha Shaw of M. 1768, and d. 1831, ae. 87. He had Lucy, who m. Oliver Hayward 1815, and perhaps others.
11. Luther, (s. of William 4.) and his w. Phebe, had Lois 1780, Susanna 1782, Lyman 1787, Abigail 1791, Thomas 1793. The father d. 1831, ae: 85.
Lois m. Avery Fobes Esq. 1801.
Susanna m. Zephaniah Keith 1807.
Lyman m. Hannah Shaw 1810.
Abigail m. Aberdeen Wilbor 1809.
12. James (s. of James 6.) m. Susanna, D. of Benjamin Washburn, 1772, and had Isaac 1772, Molly 1774, Susanna 1776, Azubah 1783, Parnel 1786, Levi 1790.
Isaac m. Sarah, D. of Capt. Simeon Wood, 1799, and went to Oakham.
Susanna m. Rufus Wood 1799.
Azubah m. Zeph. Caswell 1803.
Levi of Walpole d. here 1790, ae. 20.
13. John (s. of John 7.) m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Cowing, 1777, and had John 1779, Joseph 1780, Hannah 1782. He afterwards m. Ruth, wid. of Ebenezer Whitman of Oakham : she was a Delano.
Joseph m. an Ellis of M.
Hannah went to Me. and m. a Matthews.
John, the father, removed to Oakham.
14. Winslow (s. of Hezekiah 8.) m. Polly, D. of Chilton Latham, 1791, and had Hezekiah, Mary, and Betsy.
Hezekiah d. in Boston, ae. a. 20.
the father d. 1834, ae. 73.
Mary m. Paschal Bassett 1811.
Betsy m. Benja. Bates.
15. Capt. Joseph (s. of Hezekiah 8.) m. Lucia, D. of Edward Mitchell, and had Joseph 1793, Lucia 1797, Jane 1799, Elizabeth 1801, Saba 1804, Mitchell 1808.
Joseph m. Betsy, D. of Joseph Alden, and settled in New Bedford.
Lucia m. Philo Leach Esq.
Jane m. Capt. Tripp of Fairhaven.
Saba m. Edwin Keith.
Mitchell m. wid. Hayward, D. of Thomas Mitchell.
16. William (s. of William 9.) m. Polly Tilson of Hnlifax 1793, and had William, Cyrus, Thomas, Susan, Mary and Sarah.
William went to the Cape, and then to N. Bedford.
Cyrus m. Jane, D. of Perez Crocker, and went to N. Bedford.
Thomas m. Eloisa, D. of Calvin Washburn.
17. John (s. of John 15.) m. Betsy Ellis of M. 1803, and had Eliza 1803, Sally 1805, Catharine 1807, John Ellis 1809, Isabella 1811.
Anne m. Robert Wallis of P. 1752.
Sarah m. Nehemiah Liscomb of S. 1760.
Ebenezer m. Relief Bartlett 1761.
Zilphah m. Jabez Warren of M. 1766.
Levi m. Susanna Leach 1767.
Mary m. James Perkins 1771.
Patience m. Moses Robbins 1777.
Zalmuna m. Hopestill Pool 1787.
Thomas m. Susanna Fobes 1795.
Roxana m. Bernice Leach 1797.
Apollos m. Vodisa Hall of R. 1799.
Isaac m. Susanna Leach 1805.
Sally m. Stephen Wilbor Jr. of R. 1809.
Charles m. Patty Learned of Ox. 1810.
Barnabas Horton (from Winchester N. H.) m. Polly Morse and settled in S. B. and had David 1785, Sibil 1788, Daniel 1793, Polly 1795, Hannah 1802.
Sibil m. Daniel Tomson 1813.
Isaac Horton of N. B. m. Betsy Shaw 1805.
Sally Horton m. Aden Packard 1806.
Mary m. Galen Packard 1809.
Jerusha m. Zenas Packard Jr. 1820.
Azor How settled in S. B., and m. Lydia Pratt 1787, and had Marcus 1787, Olive 1790 : his wife d. 1790, and he m. Ruth Cheesman 1791, and had Lydia, Melinda, Salome, Ophir, Martin, Abigail.
Marcus m. Deborah Hatch, D. of Joseph Joslyn, 1813.
Lydia m. Absalom Osborn 1812.
Melinda m. Abner Shelly 1812.
Salome m. Libeus Smith 1814.
Ophir m. Mary T. Reed 1818.
Martin m. Lurana Lindsay 1820.
Abigail m. Melzar Holmes 1818.
John Howard, with his brother James, came from England and settled in Duxbury : he was among those able to bear arms there in 1643. James, it is said, went to Bermuda, and John came to W. B., and was one of the proprietors and original settlers in the town a. 1651 ; was young when he came over, and it is said, lived in Capt. Miles Standish's family : was a man of much influence in the new plantation ; one of the first military officers in Bridgewater ; took the oath of fidelity here 1657 : his descendants still (1840) own and live on the place where he first settled : he always wrote his name Haward, and so did all his descendants till after 1700, and the early town records are conformable to this spelling ; but for the last century it has been invariably written Howard. It is remarkable that the two names of Hayward and Haward, which have always been known as distinct families, were uniformly pronounced alike, Howard.. They were perhaps the same originally, and both Hayward ; but, in writing, John omitted the Y: There was supposed to have been some connection between the families, but perhaps it arose altogether from intermarriage, as John m. Martha, D. of Thomas Hayward, and was a younger man even than Thomas. Hayward Jr. He d. about 1700.
He had John, James, Jonathan, Elizabeth, Sarah, Bethiah, Ephraim.
Elizabeth m. Edward Fobes.
Sarah m. Zaccheus Packard.
Bethiah m. Henry Kingman.
He was licensed to keep an Ordinary or Tavern as early as 1670, and it is remarkable that a public house has been kept there by his descendants ever since till within a few years.
2. John (s. of John 1.) m. Sarah, D. of Robert Latham, and lived in E. B., where Dea. Samuel Keen now (1840) lives, till a. 1703, when he sold to Edw. Mitchell, his uncle by marriage, and removed to W. B. He was sometimes called John Howard minimus, and sometimes John Howard of John's Bridge, not only to distinguish him from his father, but also from John Hayward, who was an older man, both names being pronounced alike.
He had Susanna, Edward 1697, Robert 1699, Martha, Sarah, Bethiah. He d. before 1727, and his estate was settled and divided 1729.
Susanna m. Capt. Nathaniel Ames 1702.
Martha m. David Perkins.
Sarah m. David Turner of Rehoboth, a Clergyman 1721.
Bethiah first m. Jona. Randall 1712, and afterwards John Hays of Providence.
Susanna, the eldest child was probably named for her grandmother Susanna Latham, who was D. of John Winslow, brother of Gov. Edward Winslow, and whose mother, Mary Chilton, is said to have been the first lady who came on shore at the landing of our forefathers at Plymouth in 1620.
3. James (s. of John 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of John Washburn, and had Elizabeth 1686, Mercy 1688, James 1690. He went into the Canada Expedition 1690, and d. in the service.
Elizabeth m. Thomas Buck 1712.
Mercy d. 1704.
The wid. Elizabeth m. Edward Sealey.
4. Ephraim (s. of John 1.) m. Mary, D. of Rev. James Keith, and had Jane 1689, Susanna 1692, Martha 1695, Ephraim 1697, Daniel 1699, David 1703, Silence 1705, Mary 1707. He d. 1750, she 1760.
Jane m. Nehemiah Washburn 1713.
Susanna m. Samuel Jacobs a. 1720.
Martha m: Josiah Williams of T. 1714.
Silence m. John Burr 1722.
Mary m. John Field 1726, and afterwards Elisha Pierce of Scituate.
5. Maj. Jonathan (s. of John 1.) m. Sarah Dean, and had Jonathan 1692, Joshua 1696, Susanna 1698, Ebenezer 1700, Seth 1702, Abiel 1704, Sarah 1707, Henry 1710, Kezia 1712. His estate was settled and divided 1739.
Susanna m. Benjamin Williams of Norton, probably 1720.
Sarah m. Ebenezer Ames.
Kezia m. Thomas Ames 1731.
6. Maj. Edward (s. of John 2.) m. Mary, D. of Nicholas Byram 1711, and had Sarah 1714, Mary 1717, Bethiah 1719, Jane 1721, Edward 1724, James 1726. She d. 1767, he 1771.
Sarah m. Christopher Ripley 1737.
Mary m. Henry Howard.
Bethiah m. Isaac Lathrop.
Jane m. Nathan Howard Esq. 1746.
7. Capt. Robert (s. of John 2.) m. Abigail, D. of Joseph Keith, 1725, and had John 1726, Martha 1729, Robert 1735, Adam 1737, Betty 1744, Daniel 1750: he was one of the first settlers in N. B., and d. 1779, ae. 80.
Martha m. Wm. Edson 1754.
Betty m. Abijah Thayer.
Adam m. Mary, D. of Abiah Keith. 1759, and d. 1781, ae. 44, without children.
8. James (s. of James 3.) m. Elizabeth Wallis 1710, and had Mercy 1714, Huldah 1716. It is said he went to St. and thence to Woodstock.
9. Ephraim (s. of Ephraim 4.) m. Abigail Tisdale, and had George 1722, Theophilus 1724, Ephraim 1731, Abigail 1733, Susanna 1736, Martha 1739, Mary 1741. The mother d. 1758.
Abigail m. Edward Lathrop 1752.
Mary m. David Lathrop 1762.
Susanna m. Capt John Ames 1759.
Martha m. Capt. Zebedee Snell 1761.
10. Daniel Esq. (s. of Ephraim 4.) m. Damaris, D. of Tho's Williams of Taunton 1724 ; she was born 169S ; he was also one of the first settlers in N. B., and was a man of great respectability and represented the town many years, and had Mary 1727, Barnabas 1730, and Silence. He d. 1779 ae. 80.
Mary m. Col. Simeon Cary 1754.
Silence m. Col. Josiah Hayden 1763.
11. David (s. of Ephraim 4.) m. Bethiah, D. of Samuel Leonard of Taunton, and had David 1728, Phebe 1730, Simeon 1733, Bethiah 1735, Eliakim 1739, Mary 1742, Catharine 1744. She d. 1746: he 1751 ae. 47.
Phebe d. 1803.
Mary m. Eliphalet Phillips 1763, and afterwards Seth Harris, and d. 1816.
Catharine m. Nathaniel Southworth 1762.
The w. of Mr. David Howard dis. from Scituate ch. to W. B. 1749 ; a 2d. w. probably.
12. Jonathan (s. of Jona. 5.) m. Sarah, D. of John Field 1719, and had Nathan 1720, Charity 1721, Susanna 1724, Sarah 1726. Jonathan 1729, Amy 1734.
Charity m. Benjamin Pierce of Scituate 1742 ; who m. Jane, D. of Dea. Thomas Hayward 1750, for his 2d. wife.
Susanna m. Col. Edward Howard 1745.
Sarah m. Capt. Adams Bailey 1746.
Amy m. Jeremiah Belcher 1756, and d. a wid. 1812.
13. Joshua (s. of Jonathan 5.) m. Susanna, D. of John Hayward Jr. 1724, and had Anne 1725, Thankful 1728, Martha 1735, Matilda 1737. This family lived in or near Easton.
14. Ebenezer (s. of Jonathan 5.) and his wife Catharine had Silence 1736, Mehitabel 1746.—He d. 1786 : his will 1784.
Silence m. Eliphalet Leonard of Easton 1755.
Mehitabel m. Libeus Fobes 1775.
15. Seth (s. of Jonathan 5.) m. Mary, D. of Thomas Ames 1735, and had Mary 1738, Jesse 1740, Susanna. 1742, Betty 1749, Ebenezer 1752. She d. 1758.
Mary m. Capt. Eliakim Howard 1759.
Susanna m.. Elijah Snell 1760.
Betty m. Joseph Ford 1769.
16. Dr. Abiel (s. of Jonathan 5.) gra. H. U. 1729, and m. Silence, D. of Nehemiah Washburn, and had Silence 1738, Nehemiah 1740, Jane 1742, John 1743, Daniel 1746, Charity 1748, Ann 1750, Joshua 1751.
Silence m. Dr. Philip Bryant 1757.
Jane m. Ebenezer Ames 1763.
Charity not m..
Ann m. Jacob Foster of Me. 1776.
Joshua lived in Easton and m. Priscilla Capen of Stoughton 1776.
17. Henry (s. of Jonathan 5.) m. Mary, D. of Maj. Edward Howard 1733, and lived in Easton and had Mary 1734, Elijah Esq., Henry, Abigail, Martha 1759, Susanna.
Mary m. Thomas Packard perhaps a. 1757.
Henry m. Phebe, D. of Ichabod Bryant.
Henry m. Mary, D. of Jonathan Kingman.
Abigail m. Capt. Abner Hayward 1772.
Martha m. Zadock Packard 1779.
Susanna m. Nathan Howard a. 1770.
Abigail Howard m. Thomas Mitchell of E. 1783.
18. Col. Edward (s. of Edward 6.) m. Susanna, D. of Jonathan Howard 1745, and had Daniel 1749, Susanna 1751, Parnel 1753, Edward 1756, Martin 1769. She d. 1785 ; and he m. Abigail wid. of Joshua Howard of Braintree and D. of Benj. Beal 1786, and had Benjamin Beal 1788, Charles 1790,Frances 1791. He d. 1809, ae. 85 : she 1821.
Susanna m. Oakes Angier Esq. 1774, and afterwards Jesse Fobes 1792.
Parnel m. Scotland Keith of Easton 1772.
Frances m. Ezra Kingman Jr. 1812.
19. James (s. of Edward 6.) m. Betty, D. of Thomas Willis 1749, and had Betty 1749, Mary 1751, James 1753, Bethiah 1755, Chloe 1757, Charles 1759 : she d. 1760, and he m. wid. Elizabeth Babbit 1765, and had Zephaniah 1766, Azel 1768, Persia 1772 : she d. and he m: wid. Keziah, late w. of Jona. Ames 1776, she was a Tinkham.
Betty m. Nathan Snell 1770.
Mary m. Chilton Latham 1770.
Bethiah m. Daniel Hayward 1777.
Persia m. Asa Copeland 1792.
Olive Babbit, his 2d. wife's D. by her first husband, m. Gamaliel Howard 1775.
Azel removed to Philadelphia and there m. and d. before 1829.
20. John (s. of Robert 7.) m. Abigail, D. of Daniel Hudson 1752, and had Ichabod 1754, Bela 1757, Abigail 1762, John 1764, Adam 1767, Alfred 1770, Keziah 1774. He d. 1792 ae. 66.
Abigail m. Jona. Perkins 1785.
Keziah m. Joshua Niles 1796.
Adam went to Mansfield.
Alfred m. Lavinia Bisbee of St. 1794, and lived there, and had Alfred 1796, Levina 1798, Sarah 1800, Abigail Hudson 1802, John 1805, Patty Snell 1807,William Gray 1810.
Levina m. John Willis 1813.
21. Robert (s. of Robert 7.) m. Abigail, D. of Zechariah Snell 1757, and had Zechariah, Robert, Silvia, Hannah, Abigail, Lucinda. He d. 1808 ae. 73.
Hannah m. Joseph Silvester Esq. 1786.
Abigail m. Ephraim Sturtevant 1791.
Lucinda m. Noah Cheesman 1799.
22. Daniel Esq. (s. of Robert 7.) m. Vesta, D. Of Barnabas Howard Esq. 1773, and had Darius 1773, Daniel 1775, Ambrose 1776, Ziphion 1779, Vesta 1781, Damaris 1784, Cyrus 1788, Sidney 1790.
Polly 1792, Lois (crossed out and Lewis written) 1794.
He d. 1821.
Daniel gra. H. U. 1797, m. Susan, D. of Capt. Ezra Kingman 1802, she d. 1806 ae. 22, and he m. a 2d. wife, and settled as an Attorney in Maine, and has a son Sidney K.
Ambrose and Ziphion settled in Winslow Me.
Ziphion m. Amy, D. of Joseph Reynolds 1803.
Vesta m. Robert Swan Holbrook of St. 1805.
Damaris m. Jabez Woodman of New Gloucester Me. 1810.
Cyrus m. Silvia, D. of Col. Caleb Howard 1809, and afterwards Abi, D. of Wm. Edson, and she d. 1839.
Sidney m. Sally, D. of Samuel Alden 1815, and Sally Littlefield of St. 1820.
Polly m. Amos Whiting 1810.
23. George (s. of Ephraim 9.) m. Abigail, D. of Jona. Copeland 1745, and had Hannah 1746, Abigail 1748, Betty 1751, George 1753, Oliver 1755, Job 1758, Caleb 1760, Rachel 1763, Patty 1765, Asaph 1768, Nehemiah 1770, and Polly. She d. 1809 : he 1815 ae. 93.
Hannah m. Daniel Lathrop 1764.
Abigall m. Timothy Ames 1778.
Betty m. Edmund Lathrop of Easton 1774.
Rachel m. Israel Alger 1785.
Patty m. Azel Kinsley 1785.
Oliver went to Easton.
Job m. Hannah Capen of Dar. 1781.
Polly m. David Bartlett 1796.
24. Theophilus (s. of Ephraim 9.) m. Susanna, D. of John Lathrop 1747, and had Susanna 1748, John 1753, Molly 1755, Theophilus 1758, Sarah 1762, Mark 1764, Abigail and Tisdale 1769.
Susanna m. Josiah Lathrop perhaps 1785.
Molly m. Benjamin Pettingill perhaps of Easton 1773.
Sarah m. Daniel Alger 1781.
Abigail m. Ephraim Howard Jr. perhaps 1786.
Mark m. Martha, D. of Daniel Alger 1758.
Tisdale m. Chloe, D. of Daniel Alger 1791.
Theophilus m. Bathsheba Keith of Easton 1778.
25. Ephraim (s. of Ephraim 9.) m. Hannah, D. of Nathaniel Brett 1753, and had Ann 1753, Sarah 1755, Rebecca 1759, Abigail 1761, Ephraim 1764, Eliab 1765, Nathaniel 1771, Lemuel 1773.
Ann m. George Williams 1773.
Sarah m. Abiel Kinsley 1777.
Abigail m. a Randall perhaps 1778.
26. Barnabas Esq. (s. of Daniel 10.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Seth Packard 1755, and had Vesta 1755, Damaris 1757, Oliver 1758, Daniel 1759, Jonas 1763, Mehitabel 1765, Gideon 1767, Lois 1769. He d. 1813, ae. 84.
Vesta m. Daniel Howard Esq. 1773.
Damaris m. Capt. John French 1779.
Mehitabel m. John Wales 1789.
Lois m. Nathan Keith 1786.
27. David (s. of David 11.) m. Keziah, D. of Thomas Ames 1751, and had David 1753, Amasa 1756, Abiel 1760, after his father's death ; she m. Jotham Ames 1767, and d. 1768.
28. Simeon S. T. D. and A. A. S. (s. of David 11.) gra. H. U. 1758, and settled in the ministry at Boston 1767, and m. Elizabeth wid. of Dr. Jona. Mayhew 1771 ; (she was a Clarke) and had a son John Clarke, who gra. H. U. 1790, and settled in Boston, as a physician, and m. a Swan, and had a s. John Clarke gra. H. U. 1825.
29. Capt. Eliakim (s. of David 11.) m. Mary, D. of Seth Howard 1759, and had Silvia 1761, Eliakim 1763, Keziah 1765, Molly 1767, Simeon 1770, Martha 1772, Alpheus 1775, Susanna 1776, Sarah 1778, John 1780, Uriel 1781.
Silvia m. Ebenezer Bailey 1782.
Keziah m. Dea. Noah. Edson 1802.
Molly m. Amasa Howard 1783, and afterwards Jonathan Howard 1798.
Martha m. James Newbury 1797.
Sarah m. Galen Howard 1799.
30. Nathan Esq. (s. of Jonathan 12) m. Jane, D. of Maj. Edward Howard 1746, and had Nathan 1746, Jonathan 1749, Gamaliel 1751, Bezaliel 1753, Thaddeus 1756, Artemas 1758, Sarah 1760, and Jane.
Artemas d. 1809, not m.
Sarah m. Caleb Packard 1782, and afterwards Caleb Loring 1802, and died in 1834, a widow.
Jane m. Luther Burr 1785.
31. Capt. Jonathan (s. of Jonathan 12 ) m. Phebe, D. of Joseph Ames 1756, and had Elizabeth 1756, d. 1812, Phebe 1759, Jona. 1767, Rowena 1771, Galen 1774, Salmon 1777. He d. 1809.
Phebe m. Dan'l Manly 1782.
Rowena m. Charles. Lathrop 1788.
32.. Capt. Jesse (s. of Seth 15.) m. Melatiah, D. of Samuel Dunbar 1761, and had Seth 1762, Perez 1765, Calvin 1768, Barnabas 1770, Jesse 1776, Lloyd 1778. She d. 1814.
Perez m. Hannah Lincoln of Scituate 1795.
Calvin m. Cloe Fuller of Attleboro' 1790.
33. Ebenezer (s. of Seth 15.) m. Silence, D. of Charles Snell 1773, and had Cyrus 1774, Polly 1775, Susanna 1776, Charles 1778, Aden 1780, Sybil 1782, Betsy 1784, Albert 1787, Ebenezer 1790, Silence 1793.—This family lived near Easton.
34. Nehemiah (s. of Dr. Abiel 16.) m. Hannah Dean of Easton 1768, and had Abiel, Dean, Asa, Jepthah, Nathaniel, Hannah. This family. lived in or near Easton.
Dean m. Polly Perkins 1800.
Jepthah m. Betsy, D. of Abijah Knapp 1804.
Hannah m. a Mitchell of E.
35. John (s. of Dr. Abiel 16.) m. Mercy, D. of William Fobes 1768, lived in Easton and had a son Roland, and a D. who m. a Guild.
John Jr. m. Silence Burr 1773.
36. Daniel (s. of Dr. Abiel 16.) m. Mary, D. of Edmund Hayward 1772, and had Jason 1773, Ambrose 1775, Mary 1778. He d. and his wid. m. Barnabas Dunbar 1784.
Jason studied law, but d. young at sea in the navy with Commodore Prebble.
Ambrose went to Maine, and was a physician.
37. Judge Daniel (s. of Col. Edward 18.) m. Abigail, D. of Capt. Isaac Packard 1776 and had Betsy 1777, Francis 1778, Abigail 1779, Susanna 1781*, Daniel 1783, .Mary 1784, Ellen 1787, Sybil Porter 1789*, Lucy* and Lois 1791, John Edward 1793, Jane 1795. She d. 1818 : he 1832 ae. 83.
Betsy m. Dr. Moses Baker 1803, and afterwards John Crafts.
Francis gra. B. U. 1797, and lived in Boston, and d. young, and not m.
Daniel d. 1814, not m.
Lois d. single 1838.
38. Edward (s. of Colonel Edward 18.) m. Melly Howard of Braintree 1780, and had Walter 1780, Church*, Warren, Cyrus, Joshua, Edward, and two Ds., and went to Easton, thence to N. Y., and thence to Michigan.
39. Martin (s. of Col. Edward 18.) m. Vashti, D. of Nathan Willis, 1793, and had Frederick Augustus 1795*, William Henry 1799, Maria Willis 1801, Lucia 1803, and John. He removed to Oakham, and thence to Dorchester : his w. d. 1830.
William H. m. a Willet, and lives in S. Boston.
Maria W. m. Geo. C. Thatcher of Boston.
John m. an Adams of Oakham, and lives in Dorchester.
40. Capt. Benjamin B. (s. of Col. Edward 18.) m. Olive, D. of Gamaliel Howard, 1810, and had Lucy 1811, Azel 1815, Benjamin 1819. She d. and he m. a Mitchell of Newton.
41. Charles (s. of Col. Edward 18.) m. Betsy Wade of Hanson 1816, and had Charles Edw. 1820, William, Louisa, George.
42. James (s. of James 19.) m. Abigail, D. of Capt. Josiah Snell, 1775, and had Chloe 1777, Rhoda 1779, Reuel 1781, Marcus 1783, Parnel 1786, Vesta 1791.
Marcus m. Jemima Hall 1814.
Parnel m. Edward Hayward 3d 1805.
Vesta m. Barzillai Hayward 1811.
4. Zephaniah (s. of James 19.) m. Jennet, wid. of Allen Latham and D. of Hosea Dunbar of Halifax 1800, and had Charles Volney, Ize Annett 1804. John Jay 1507, Lewis Gibbon 1810, Pliny Babbit 1812.
Charles Volney d. at Perry Co. Illinois, Nov. 28, 1838.
44. Dea. Ichabod (s. of John 20.) m. Molly, D. of Levi Keith, 1794, and had Melinda 1796, Bethiah 1797, Linus 1799, Lysander 1802, Nancy 1804, Maria 1806, Henry 1808, David 1810, Mary Ann Keith 1812.
Melinda m. Ozen Gurney 1820.
Bethiah m. Martin Cary.
45. Bela (s. of John 20.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Col. Simeon Cary, 1782, and had Sibil 1784, who m. Oliver Dike 1810. He d. and she m. Samuel Dike 1793.
46. John (s. of John 20.) m. Polly Gill of St. 1794, and had Eliza Gill 1801, Polly Hudson 1803.
47. Rev. Zechariah (s. of Robert 21.) gra. H. U. 1784, and settled at Canton 1787, and there died : he m. Patty, D. of John S. Crafts, 1787, but left no children.
48. Robert (s. of Robert 21.) m. Susanna, D. of Jona. Perkins, 1788, and had Rhoda 1790, Mira 1792, Lucia 1795, Noble 1797*, Harrison 1801. Rhoda m. Col. Edward Southworth 1815.
Lucia m. Nathan Jones 1820.
49. Darius (s. of Daniel Esq. 22.) m. Sophia, D. of Jonas Howard, 1804, and had Elmina 1804, Sophia and Darius* 1807. She d. 1807, and he, m. Huldah, D. of Jonathan Cary, 1808, and had Cary 1809, Aurelia 1813, Frederick 1815, Darius 1817, Abigail 1820.
50. George (s. of George 23.) m. Parnel, D. of Thomas Ames, 1777, and had Polly Brett 1777, Thomas 1781, Deborah 1783, George 1786, Abigail 1788, Sidney 1791, Parnel 1795, Franklin 1797, Betsy 1801, Patty 1803 : he d. 1812, she 1819.
Deborah m..Asa Whitman 1804.
George m. Sarah, D. of Daniel Manly, 1808.
Abigail m. Solomon Reed 1811.
Sidney m. Sally, D. of Caleb Alden, and he and George went to Lancaster.
51. Col. Caleb (s. of George 23.) m. Silvia, D. of Daniel Alger, and had Hannah 1782, Apollos 1784, Abigail 1786, Silvia 1788, Vesta 1790, Chloe 1793, Nancy 1795, Welcome 1797, Olive 1799, Caleb 1802, Thomas Jefferson 1804. She d. 1819, and he m. Abigail, D. of Issachar Snell Esq. 1820 : he d. 1831.
Hannah m. Zibeon Crafts 1799.
Abigail m. Daniel Howard 1805.
Silvia m. Cyrus Howard 1809.
Vesta m. a Torrey.
Nancy m. Azar Packard 1815.
Olive m. John Wales 1820.
Caleb m. Polly Tilden.
52. Asaph Esq. (s. of George 23.) m. Phebe, D. of Luke Perkins,1789, and had Phebe 1791, Polly 1793, Martin 1795, Asaph 1797, Azel 1799, and went to Minot, Me.
53. Nehemiah (s. of George 23.) m. Sally, D. of William Curtis, 1791, and had Hannah 1792, Sally 1793, Seba 1795, Caleb 1797, Polly 1800, Deborah W. 1803, Roxelana R. 1805,.Abigail C. 1809.
Hannah m. Ambrose Leach 1815.
Sally m. Jonas Hartwell 1820.
Polly m. Benjamin Marshall 1820.
54. Oliver (s. of Barnabas Esq. 26.) m. Susanna, D. of Thos. Reynolds, 1780, and had Parnel 1782, Oliver 1784, Daniel 1785, Emily 1786, Bernice 1787, Lois 1789, Otis 1792, Mehitabel 1794, Betsy 1796. The mother d. 1817.
Parnel m. James Ford 1800.
Daniel m. Abigail, D. of Caleb Howard Esq. 1805.
Emily m. Apollos Howard.
Bernice m. Zophar Field I811.
Lois m. Samuel Linfield of Randolph 1812.
Mehitabel m. Chas. Copeland 1816.
Betsy m. Robert Packard.
Otis m. Reuma Southworth 1818.
55. Daniel (s. of Barnabas Esq. 26.) m. Silence, D. of Thos. Packard, and had Polly, Selina, Relief.
Polly m. John Holbrook of St. 1801.
Selina m. Robt. Swan Holbrook of St. 1800.
Relief m. Benjamin Capen of St. 1805.
56. Jonas (s. of Barnabas Esq. 26.) m. Abigail, D. of Nathan Packard 1784, and had Sophia 1785, Rowena 1787, Barnabas 1789, Jonas 1791, Anna 1794, Louisa 1798, Lydia 1800, Edwin 1803, Angelina 1806, Sophia 1810.
Sophia m. Darius Howard 1804, and d. 1807.
Rowena m. Simeon Cary 1806.
Anna m. Charles Littlefield of St. 1821.
Louisa m. Loring H. Thayer of Randolph.
Lydia m. Darius Littlefield.
57. Capt. Gideon Esq. (s. of Barna. Esq. 26.) m. Molly, D. of Nathan Willis, 1788, and had Gideon 1789, Austin 1791, Martha 1793, Adeline 1796, Lucy 1798, Albert 1800, Mary 1803, Elijah 1805, Betsy 1807, Francis 1809, Nathan Willis 1812.
Gideon m. Sibil, D. of John Harris of A. 1811.
Austin m. Abig. Crane of St. 1819.
Martha m. Daniel H. Cary 1812.
Adeline m. Samuel Harris of A. 1815.
Lucy m. Lot Blanchard of St. 1817.
Mary m. Zion Packard.
58. David (s. of David 27.) m. Molly, D. of Jonathan Kingman, 1778, and had Molly 1781, Keziah 1783, Azubah 1786, Hannah 1789, Sally 1791*. His wife d. and he m. Rebecca, D. of Nathan Whitman, 1791, and had David 1792, Huldah 1794, Algernon Sidney 1796. He then removed to Tamworth, N. H., and had three wives more, viz : wid. Abigail, late wife of Wm. Snell and D. of Eleazar Alden, Miss Roberts, and another wid.
Azubah m. Ford Whitman Esq.
59. Capt. Amasa (s. of David 27.) m. Molly, D. of Capt. Ellakim Howard, 1783, and had Katy 1784, Arabella 1787, Adonis 1795, Amasa 1797. He d. and his widow m. Jonathan Howard 1798.
Katy m: Mark Lathrop Jr.1805.
Arabella m. Benjamin Eaton of Boston 1805.
Adonis was a Preacher of the New Jerusalem Ch.
60. Abiel (s. of David 27.) m. Keziah, D. of Samuel Bartlett, 1798, and had Jantha 1799, Lewis 1802.
61. Simeon (s. of Capt. Eliakim 29.) m. Hannah, D. of Sam'l Bartlett, 1794, and had Harrison 1794, Maria 1797, Davis 1800, Ansel 1803. She d. 1805, and he m. Bathsheba, D. of Ephraim Jackson, 1807, and had Hannah Bartlett 1809.
62. Alpheus (s. of Capt. Eliakim 29) m. Sally, D. of Capt. Leavitt Thayer, 1803, and had Nancy 1805, Thomas 1807, Jane 1810, Leavitt T. 1813, Lewis 1816.
63. Uriel (s. of Capt. Eliakim 29.) m. Lucy Barnes 1816, and had James 1816, Lucy 1818.
64. Nathan (s. of Nathan 30.) m. Susanna, D. of Henry Howard of Easton, and had Abiel 1771, Nathan 1772, Alfred 1774, Reuel 1776, Lewis 1778, Lucinda 1780, Jane 1782, Bezaliel 1785, Phebe 1787, Cyril 1789: he d. 1833, ae. 87.
Nathan m. Lydia Copeland 1799, and went to Winthrop.
Lucinda m. John Hartwell 1801.
65. Jonathan (s. of Nathan 30.) m. Martha, D. of Nathan Willis, 1774, and had Anne 1777, Edwin 1779, Jennet 1783, Charles 1786, Sarah 1788, Sophia 1790, Jonathan 1805.
Anne m. Daniel Crane Esq. 1801.
Sarah m. Ichabod Macomber of Easton 1806.
Sophia m. Nathaniel S. Spooner Esq. of New Bedford 1812.
66. Gamaliel (s. of Nathan 30.) m. Olive Babbit, D. of James Howard's 2d w. by her first husband, 1775, and had Lucy 1786, Olive 1785, Azel 1791 : d. 1813, ae. 22.
Lucy m. Nathan Church 1810, and d. 1813.
Olive m. Capt. Benjamin B. Howard 1810.
67. Bezaliel S. T. D. and A. A. S. (s. of Nathan 30.) gra. H. U. 1781, and settled in the ministry at Springfield 1784, and there m. a D. of Jonathan Dwight, and had a D. Lucinda Dwight. His w. d. and he then m. a Williams, and had John and Charles, who m. 'sisters, Ds. of Col. Thomas Dwight : he d. 1838. Lucinda m. Samuel Orne Esq. and had William Wetmore, who m. Lucy Dwight.
Sophia, who m. Charles Chapin of Brattleboro', Vt.
68. Thaddeus (s. of Nathan 30.) m. Keziah, D. of Jonathan Ames, 1785, and had Thaddeus 1786, Bathsheba 1788, Harriot 1794, Keziah 1798, d. 1817 ; Mary 1801. Keziah, the mother, d. 1811, and he m. Seabury, wid. of Hartwell Keith, 1813 : he d. 1813.
Thaddeus m. Silvia Lathrop 1810.
Harriot m. Davis Keith 1820.
Bathsheba m. Spencer Lathrop 1812, and d. 1813.
69. Jonathan (s. of Capt. Jonathan 31.) m. Abigail Packard 1794, and had Ruhamah 1795, Walter 1797.
70. Galen (s. of Capt. Jonathan 31.) m. Sarah, D. of Captain Eliakim Howard, 1799, and had Rowena 1800, Freeman 1803, Harriot 1805, Galen 1806, Jonathan 1808, Hiram 1811, Waldo 1814, William Henry 1816, Elbridge 1820.
71. Salmon (s. of Capt. Jonathan 31.) m. Amelia, D. of Capt. Ephraim Snell, 1799, and had Chelsias 1800, Anna Keith 1803, Ephraim Snell 1805, Asenath 1808, Bathsheba Ann 1510, Martha Fobes 1813, Amelia 1815, Salmon Wilkes 1818.
72. Capt. Seth (s. of Capt. Jesse 32.) m. Desire, D. of Jonathan Bailey, 1782, and had Stillman 1785, Everett Ward 1789, Seth 1792, Roland Bailey 1795, Aurelia 1797, Lucretia 1800.
He went to Me.
73. Jesse (s. of Capt. Jesse 32.) m. Parnel, D. of Dea. Elijah Snell, 1799, and had Elijah Snell 1806, Susanna 1808, Mary Ann 1810.
74. Capt. Lloyd (so of Capt. Jesse 32.) m. Abigail, D. of Dea. Elijah Snell, 1796, and had Abigail 1797, Caroline 1799, Bezer 1801, Louisa 1803, John Eliot 1805, Lloyd 1807, Rhoda 1810, Samuel Nelson 1813 : he d. 1838.
75. John Edward Esq. (s. of Judge Daniel 37.) gra. B. U. 1815, m. Harriet M., D. of Capt. Asa Pratt 1821, and had Harriet Augusta and John Edward.
76. Thomas (s. of George 50.) m. Hepzibah, D. of Dr. Eleazar Carver, 1810, and had Mary Ann 1815, Elam 1817, and others perhaps ; his D. m. Daniel Crane.
77. Apollos (s. of Col. Caleb 51.) m. Olive, D. of Maj. Daniel Cary, 1802, and afterwards Emily, D. of Oliver Howard, and has a family.
78. Oliver (s. of Oliver . 54.) m. Lucy, D. of Ephraim Sturtevant,1808, and had Abigail 1809, Willard 1811, Rufus Emery 1813, Elizabeth 1816.
79. Alfred (s. of Nathan 64.) m. Hannah, D. of Isaac Hartwell, 1799, and had Orynthia 1801, Rhoda Lathrop 1803, Lucinda 1804, Jane 1807.
80. Edwin Esq. (s. of Jonathan 65.) m. Sally Cole of Scituate 1803, and had Edwin 1804, Jonathan 1806, David 1807, Sarah 1808. She d. 1811, and he m. Betsy Spooner of M. 1812: he d. 1820.
81. Jonathan (s. of Joshua of Randolph): his mother was Colonel Edward Howard's last wife ; m. Molly, widow of Capt. Amasa Howard and D. of Capt. Eliakim Howard, 1798, and had Amasa 1799, Celestia 1801, Mary Beal 1803, Sidney 1805, Eliakim 1807, Sophia 1810 : he d. 1833.
Celestia m. John A. Whiting.
Mary B. m. Stephen Otis Copeland.
82. Asa (s. of Benjamin Howard of Randolph) b. 1776, settled in N. B. 1802, and m. Eunice, D. of Isaac Thayer, and had Ephraim 1798, Samuel 1800, Charles 1803, Isaac Thayer 1805, d. 1822; Mary Ann 1808, Asa 1813*, Asa 1815*, Elizabeth 1818, and Martha Jane 1820 : he d. 1828.
Ephraim m. Lydia, D. of James Cary, 1821.
Samuel m. Mary Carlton and went to Randolph, but returned again.
Charles m. Lavinia Round.
Mary Ann m. William Faxon.
Mehitabel m. Benjamin Holmes of Norton 1783.
Eunice of Braintree m. Abia Packard 1764.
Theodora of Braintree m. Seth Edson 1784.
Sarah m. Cyrus Perkins 1787.
Joshua of Sidney m. Zilphar Reynolds 1805.
Tabitha of St. m. Oliver Hayward 1786.
James of M. m. Charity Blossom 1802.
Ethan of E. m. Julia Packard 1814.
Eleanor of Plymouth m. Charles Hayward 1797.
A Howard of Dart. m. Content, D. of Jona. Sprague.
Albee m. Abigail, D. of Dea. Nathan Alger, 1814, and had James Lyman 1816.
William Hudson (from Lancaster or what is now probably Leominster) settled in W. B. and m. Experience, D. of John Willis : his will dated 1728 : no children : his wife and Dr. Joseph Byram Ex's : he was a mason, and built Rev. Mr. Keith's tomb. William Hudson was made free at Boston 1631, and allowed to keep an ordinary (tavern) there 1640 : he was probably the ancestor of all the Hudsons here. Daniel Hudson and wife and two daughters were killed by the Indians at Lancaster 1697.
2. Daniel (brother of William l.) m. Mary, D. of William Orcutt 1697, and settled in S. B., and had Mary 1701, Daniel 1704, William 1707. He m. Abigail wid. of John Fobes 1739 : he d. 1750 ae. 73 : she 1762.
Mary m. Isaac Lazell 1719.
3. Daniel (s. of Daniel 2.) m. Mary, D. of John Fobes, and had Mary 1727, Abigail 1730, Reliance 1733, Daniel 1738, Nathan 1741, John 1743. The father d. 1775 ae. 71, she 1786 ae. 81.
Mary m. Dea. Nathan Alden 1750.
Abigail m. John Howard of N. B. 1752.
Reliance m. Samuel Billings 1756.
Daniel went westward.
4. William (s. of Daniel 2.) m. Sarah, D. of John Fobes 1737, and had Sarah 1738, Silence 1740, Barzillai 1741, William 1743, Edward 1745, Marah 1747, Asa 1749, Eli 1751. She d. 1789 ; he 1796 ae. 87.
Sarah m. John Ward of Middletown Ct.1768.
Silence m. Ebenezer Soule of Plympton 1764, and d. 1835, ae. 94, and 8 months.
Marah m. Asaph Soule of Plympton 1767.
Barzillai went to Hartford Ct. and was a respectable bookseller and printer there.
Prentiss Mellen C. J. of S. J. Court Me. m. one of his Ds.
Edward went to New Braintree.
Asa removed also.
5. Nathan (s. of Daniel 3.) m. Betty, D. of Capt. Joseph Gannett 1767 ; she d. 1777 ae. 28 ; and he m. Ann Gibbs of Sandwich 1777, and had
Betty 1779, who m. Rev. William Briggs 1799, who settled in the ministry at Kittery but now lives in E. B.
Ann the mother d. 1831, ae. 81, he d. 1834 ae. 93.
6. John (s. of Daniel 3.) m. Bethiah, D. of Dr. Isaac Otis 1769, and had Mary 1770, Mehitabel 1772, Otis 1774, Hannah 1777, Daniel 1779, Abigail 1752, Melzar 1784, Susanna 1788, Isaac 1791, Bethiah. He d. 18I9 ae.. 77 : she 1825 ae. 78.
Mary m. John Q. Keith 1792.
Mehitabel m. Jonathan Kingman 1793.
Otis, a Bachelor.
Hannah m. Cyrus Edson 1797.
Abigail m. Jonathan Snell 1809.
Melzar m. Lucinda, D. of Mark Phillips 1818 and has a family.
Susanna m. Martin Whitman 1815.
Isaac m. Molly, D. of John Wade 1819, and has a family.
Bethiah m. Nicholas Wade 1823.
7. William (s. of William 4.) m. Lucy, D. of Ebenezer Kingman 1767, and had Lucy 1769, Melzar 1771, Barzillai and others. He removed from town.
Col. Barzillai lived in Boston.
8. Eli (s. of William 4.) m. Sarah, D. of Thomas Perkins 1774, and had Thomas 1776, Asa 1778, Ovid 1781, Eli 1783, Sally 1785, William 1787, Selah 1790, Olive 1793.
Asa m. Deborah Osborn 1803. He had another s. by the name of Eli, who settled in Randolph, and whose son m. Hannah, D. of Zebulun Willis.
9. Daniel (s. of John 6.) m. Patty, D. of Capt. Ephraim Snell 1806,. and had John Otis 1807, Semantha Snell 1810, Sarah Ann 1812, Lucy 1813. His wife d. and he m. Betsy wid. of David Waterman and D. of Nathaniel Pratt 1822 ; he d. 1838.
1. The Rev. Ephraim Hyde of Rehoboth m. Mary, D. of the Rev. John Angier 1767, and had Ephraim, John, Samuel, Ezra, and Mary ; he d. and she with her children returned to E. B. ; she d. 1788 ae. 48.
John is a physician and he and Samuel went to Freeport Me.
Mary d. 1790 ae.15.
2. Ephraim (s. of the above) m. Mary Dresser of Pomfret Ct. 1794, and settled in E. B. and had Mary 1795, Ledyard 1796*, Eliza 1798, Augustus 1801, Nathan Dresser 1803, Orinda Carpenter 1805* ; he d. Aug. 28 1834 ae. 65.
Mary d. single 1836 ae. 41.
Eliza m. Wallace Rust Esq.
Augustus was a mariner and d. at sea 1839.
Nathan D. m. Elizabeth C., D. of Nahum Mitchell 1833.
3. Ezra (s. of Ephraim 1.) m. Martha, D. of Joseph Ames 1805, and lived and d. in Boston, and had Mary Angier, William A., Joseph A., Martha W., Armelia W., Margaret P., and Hannah S. ; the mother and children returned to S. B.
Mary A. m. Dr. Samuel Alden.