History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
HAINS OR HINDS
John Hains m. Hannah Shaw 1709 ; had Hannah 1710, Elizabeth 1712, Abigail 1714, John 1717, Ebenezer 1719, Susanna 1722.
Abigail m. Stephen Cobb of Walpole 1735.
John m. Hannah Lyon 1738.
Susanna m. a Chamberlin 1740.
2. Ebenezer (s. of John above) and his w. Susanna had Keziah 1745, Salome 1747 : his w. d. 1751, and he m. Lydia Bartlett 1751, and had Ebenezer 1753.
Elizabeth Hains m. Nath'l Conant 1716.
Ebenezer Willis m. a Hinds.
Artemas Hale Esq. (s. of Moses of Winchendon) m. Deborah Lincoln of Hingham 1815, and settled in S. B., and had Caroline Augusta 1818, Deborah Lincoln 1820, Arteinas 1822.
Reuben Hall m. Ruth Gilbert 1741, and lived in S. B., and had Reuben 1742, Sarah 1744, Mercy 1745, Ruth 1747, Gilbert 1743, Mehitabel 1752, Silvanus. He d. 1788, ae. 68.
Sarah m. Josiah Byram 1766.
Mercy m. Abner Lewis, of M., 1763.
Silvanus m. and had a family.
Silvanus Jr. m. Almira, D. of Jotham Cushman Esq. 1816.
Ebenezer m. Nanny Dunbar of Hal. 1816.
Susanna m. Zion Swift 1718.
Wid. Sarah d. 1800, ae. 44.
Keziah m. Edward White 1739.
Abigail m. Captain David Kingman 1752.
Sarah m. Solomon Alden 1755.
Philip m. Hannah Keith 1760.
Mary m. Nathan Edson 1766.
Anne m. Samuel Edson 1767.
Mary m. David Leonard 1769.
Luther m. Abigail Mehuren 1781.
James m. Sarah Orcutt 1782.
Mason of R. m. Hannah Willis 1789.
Samuel of T. m. Mercy (or Mary) Willis 1718.
Nathan m. Ruth Waterman 1790.
Lucy m. Caleb Cole 1792.
Vodisa m. Apollos Hooper 1799.
Jabez m. Triphear Wilbor 1791.
Luther of R. m. wid. Mehitabel Leach 1806.
Macey of R. m. Susanna Washburn 1807.
Joseph m. Polly Copeland 1812.
Betsy R. m. Alpheus Brett 1815.
Jemima m. Marcus Howard 1814.
Martha m. Peter Tribou 1817.
Wealthy of R. m. Earl Cushman 1820.
James Hanks resided in E. B., and had Joseph 1743, Hannah 1745.
Rachel Hanks m. David French 1797.
Isaac and Sarah Hamlin (she was a. Shaw, D. of Nicholas and Lydia of Abington, born 1726) had Isaac 1748, David 1752, Molly 1754, Joseph 1756, Sarah 1760.
2. Eleazar and Lydia Hamlin (she was a Bonney, m. 1752) had Asia 1753, Betty 1754. It is said this man had four sons named Asia, Africa, Europe and America. They removed to Harvard, and afterwards to Me.
. 3. Josiah and Mary Hamlin had Josiah 1779.
Mary Hamlin m. Joseph Richards 1742.
Mary m. Thomas Moore 1746.
Elizabeth m. William Holmes 1750.
Mary m. Jonathan Perkins 3d 1765.
John Hanmer, sometimes written Handmore, with his wife, came from Halifax and settled in B. 1739 ; wid. Hanmer had Abigail, Jerusha and John all bap. in W. B. 1742.
Abigail m. Thomas Latham 1752.
Elizabeth m. Ebenezer Hayward 1750.
Mary m. John Smith 1749.
Elizabeth m. Thomas Wade 1743.
Jerusha m. John Orcutt Jr. 1752.
2; John (s. of the above) lived in E. B., m. Mary, D. of Joseph Prior, 1760, and had Nabby 1762, Lucinda 1763, Cynthia 1765, Zenas 1767, Peninnah 177O. John Hanmer was at Plymouth 1638.
John Harden (from Braintree) and his w. Hannah settled in S. B. a. 1707, and d. 1718 ; had Samuel, John, Nathaniel, Peter, Sarah, (who m. perhaps John Hooper and then Franca Wood), and others ;
Deborah who m. Thomas Latham 1712, and Abigail who m. Samuel Harris 1710, might have been his Ds. John perhaps settled in Abington.
Nath'l m. Susanna, D. of James Latham, 1715, and had Nathaniel 1727, Abraham, Seth 1731, and probably others.
2. Samuel (s. of John 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Nicholas Wade, 1739, and had John, Mary, Daniel, Samuel 1746, Lydia, Nathan 1749. The father d. before 1764 ; she, a wid., d. 1764.
Lydia m. Jonathan Benson Jr. 1774.
Daniel d. 1775 in the army.
Nathan d. 1800, ae. 51. 3. John (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Eunice, D. of Jonathan Benson, 1766, and had John and Jonathan.
4. Samuel (s. of Samuel 1.) and his w. Phebe had Betsy, Silvia, Eunice, Stephen and Daniel all bap. in E. B. 1717, Rebeckah 1788. He d. 1799, ae. 53.
5. John (s. of Capt. John of Abington) m. Lydia Hearsey 1779, and lived in E. B., and had Deborah 1730, John 1782, Noah 1790, Lydia 1795, Charlotte 1800.
Deborah m. Eli Blanchard 1795.
Lydia m. Sullivan Dunbar 1817.
Charlotte m. Oran Reed I817.
Noah m. Alice Hearsey 1816.
6. John (s. of John 3.) m. Lucy Holmes of Plymouth 1792, and had John Constant, Ward, and others.
One D. m. Jotham Dumphy.
John Constant m. Nancy Bates 1813.
7. Samuel (of S. B.) m. Silence, D. of Jabez Fuller probably, 1792, and had Lucia 1793, Jabez 1795, Thomas 1797, Harriet 1800, Rhoda 1802, Albert 1806. His w. d. 1816, and he m. Lydia Wade of Halifax 1819.
Lucia m. Benj. Hayward Keith 1819.
Harriet m. Carver Washburn.
Jabez m. Sarah, D. of Captain Simeon Pratt.
8. John (s. of John 5.) m. Jane, (or Jenny), D. of Peleg Stetson, 1803, and had Clarissa 1804, Salome 1806, Nahum 1808, Peleg Stetson 1910, Jane 1812, Maria 1814.
9. Thomas (s. of Samuel of A.) m. Mehitabel Harden 1811, and had Sarah 1812, Nancy White 1815.
Wid. Martha Harding d. 1633, leaving a son.
John Harding at Duxbury 1643.
Joseph Harding took the oath of fidelity at Eastham 1657.
Mary of Pem. (now Hanson) m. Jesse Hayward of Halifax 1763.
Sarah m. Matthew Allen 1734.
Hannah m. Christopher Sever 1771.
Reuben m. Rebecca Harden 1782, and had a son Seth.
Harlow m. Sarah Stetson 1795.
Mary Harden m. John Cary 1741.
Timo. Harding m. Sarah Stone 1793.
Sally m. Solomon Ames 2d 1794.
Willis m. Elizabeth Hobart 1802.
Nancy m. Thomas White 1803.
Betsy m. Lewis Brown 1806.
Wid. Betsy m. Enos Cox 1808.
Isabella m. Thos. White 1814.
Calvin m. Roxana Hatch 1813.
Zenas m. Sally Gannett 1815.
Mehitabel m. Daniel Harden Jr. 1819.
Abraham m. Ruth Perry 1740.
Wm. Harlow was in Bridgewater 1742, and Capt. William Harlow's family are there now; he was from Plymouth.
Arthur Harris, one of the original purchasers and proprietors of Bridgewater and among the first settlers in W. B. was at Duxbury as early as 1640. He d. in Boston having made his will there in 1673. His wife's name was Martha (Lake perhaps, see Felt's History of Ipswich p. 160 ;) had two sons Isaac and Samuel and two Ds. Martha and Mary, and perhaps other children.
Samuel lived in E. B. but there is no account of his family.
Martha m. Thomas Snell.
Mary m. John Winchcomb of Boston, and she made her will in 1717, and mentions her cousins, (nephews,) Thomas Harris and Isaac Harris, her sister Martha Snell, and cousin, (niece,) Jane Smith—No certain account of Thomas.
Thomas Harris of Boston made his will 1714, mentioning his wife Giles, and ss. Thomas and John, and D. Elizabeth, and his sister Dorothy Skelton of London. There was also. a Thomas 7l there, who was d. in 1715 [someone crossed out this date in pen] , leaving a wid. Rebecca and a s. Benjamin, and Ds. Jane, Rebecca, and Mehitabel.
Thomas Harris there m. Susanna Cornish 1713, whether either of these was son or g. s. of Arthur is not ascertained.
Abner Harris there m. Elizabeth Lawrence 1709.
Sir Arthur Harris of Stowford, Devonshire, Eng. 1673.
Daniel and William Harris "said to be from Boston," were among the first settlers of Middletown Conn. 1670. Among the letters remaining in the Post Office at Montgomery (Ala.) 1821, were one to Wm. Harris, one to Joshua Harris, and another to Arthur Harris Esq.
James Harris, who m. Elizabeth , D. of Guido Bailey 1693 and afterwards Elizabeth. Irish 1696, may have been Arthur's son ; he appears at Scituate and then at Taunton, now Easton 1696.
2. Isaac, (s. of Arthur 1), m. Mercy, D. of Robert Latham, and had Arthur, Isaac, Samuel, Desire, Jane 1671, Susanna, Mercy 1680, Benjamin, and Martha ; the 2 last were by Mary, a 2d. wife D. of Robert Dunbar of Hingham and sister of Peter Dunbar. He and his w. both d. a.1707.
Desire m. John Kingman.
Jane m. first James Dunbar, who d. 1690, and afterwards Pelatiah Smith.
Susanna m. Jeremiah Newland 1696.
Mary m. Daniel Packard 1713.
Arthur probably d. at sea ; he wrote to his brother Isaac from an Eng. ship 1703, which is the last time he was heard, of.
Mercy m. Josiah Sears probably and d. 1720, oe. 40.
3. Isaac (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Jane, D. of Caleb Cook of Plymouth, (now Kingston probably) 1707 ; they were m. at Scituate; he had Arthur 1708, Abner 1710, Anne 1712, Elizabeth 1714, Jane 1716 ; his wife d. and he m. Elizabeth, D. of Joseph Shaw, and wid. of Noah Washburn 1719, and had Isaac 1720 .
Anne m. John Holman 1734.
Jane m. James Johnson, who removed to Middleton Con.
In the division of the estate among the heirs in 1740, Elizabeth and Isaac are not mentioned and therefore it is probable they d. young.
4. Samuel (s. of Isaac 2.) m. Abigail Harden 1710, and had Susanna, Abigail, Mary 1725, Seth 1726, Samuel 1728, the father then died, The wid. warned out 1732.
Susanna m. Joseph Wilbur 1741.
Abigail m: Thomas Drew 1739.
Perhaps Joseph also was his son.
George Harris of B. who m. Hannah Lyon of Mid'o 1763, was probably Joseph's son.
5. Benjamin (s. of Isaac 2.) sold to Isaac, in 1722, 21 acres of land laid out to Isaac deceased, and lying to the westward of the road leading to Weymouth. He had then removed to Hingham ; in 1724 he sold his lands on the North and West side of the river to his brother Isaac ; he was then of Bridgewater, but removed again, perhaps to Taunton.
6. Arthur (s. of Isaac 3.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Samuel Rickard of Plympton 1730, and had Benjamin 1731, Silas 1735, Lucy 1739 ; his wife d. and he m. Bethiah, D. of Dea. Thomas Hayward 1741, and had Mehitabel 1747. He d. and the wid. m. Robert Latham.
Lucy m. Nehemiah Latham 1757.
Silas m. Abigail, D. of Ebenezer Shaw, and d. in the revolutionary war 1777, and she m. Jonathan Gannett of Cummington 1785.
7. Abner (s. of Isaac 3.) was at Taunton and enlisted into the French War 1755 under Gen. Winslow at the seizing of the Neutral French, m. Mary, D. of Micah Pratt of Taunton 1735, and had Betty 1737, who m. Elijah Smith.
8. Seth (s. of Samuel 4.) went to M. and m. Abiah, D. of Samuel Alden 1751, and then went to Abington and had Seth, Abiel, Oliver, John, and Rebecca ; he afterwards m. Mary, wid. of Eliphalet Phillips, D. of David Howard, and had Hannah. He d. 1797 ae. 73 ; she 1816, ae 74.
9. Samuel (s. of Samuel 4.) we have no certain account of Samuel of Plymouth, coaster, 1759, and Samuel whose wife was Sarah, and who sold land to Dr. LeBaron at Plympton 1761, might have been this man.
10. Benjamin (s. of Arthur 6.) m. Sarah, D. of James Snow 1751, and had Arthur 1753, Sarah 1755, William 1762, Benjamin 1765, Samuel 1768, John 1770.
Sarah m. Francis Gray of Boston 1777 and d. young leaving an only child, a D. who d. 1782. He d. 1803, ae. 71 ; she 1807 ae. 75.
Samuel m. a Williams and lives in Boston.
11. Arthur (s. of Benjamin 10.) m. Celia, D. of Col. Edward Mitchell 1781, and had Sarah 1784, Deborah 1787, Azor 1789, Celia 1796. He d. 1813, ae. 60, she 1836, ae. 79.
Sarah m. Levi Washburn 1807.
Deborah m. Bezer Hall of Dorchester 1811.
Celia m. Daniel Whitman 1815.
12. Dea. William (s. of Benjamin 10.) m. Alice, D. of Cushing Mitchell 1788, and had Jennet Orr 1790, William and Alice 1794 (born at Charlestown). He d. 1531 ae. 69.
Jennet Orr m. Welcome Young, Esq. 1816, and d. 1821, ae. 31.
Alice m. Joseph Chamberlin Jr. 1819, and d. 1838.
13. Maj. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 10.) m. Sarah, D. of Col. Edward Mitchell 1791, and lived in Boston ; he d. at E. B. 1828, ae. 63 ; she d. 1839, ae. 80. They had no children.
14. John (s. of Benjamin 10.) m. Eunice, D. of John Young 1795, and had Lucy, Lydia 1802, Samuel 1810 ; she d. 1811, ae. 36 : and he m. Rebecca Woad of Halifax 1811 ; he died 1829, ae. 58.
15. Azor Esq. (s. of Arthur 11.) m. Sarah Shaw of M. 1813, and had Esther, and Arthur.
Esther m. Galen Latham, Jr.
16. Dea. William (s. of Deacon William 12.) m. Mary W., D. of Winslow Thomas 1819, and had Benjamin Winslow 1823, Lucia, and William.
17. Joseph Harris (probably s. of Samuel 44 and his wife Hannah ; she was bap. in East Bridgewater 1736 ; had Hannah, bap. 1737, and Abigail bap. 1739. He probably went to M. as Joseph Harris appeared there in 1743 and 1770.
John Harris. m. Mary Torrey 1743, both of M.
Sarah m. James Hayward Jr. 1750.
Anne m. Joseph Leach 1736.
Alice m. James Powell 1742.
Most of these may have been descendants of the first or 2d. Samuel, who probably went to Plympton with the Newland family, and thence they spread into M.
Lucy m. Samuel Boyden 1806.
Samuel Hartwell d. 1760, leaving Nathan, Jonas, and Sarah perhaps, who m. Joseph Carver 1746, Hannah, Silence and perhaps others.
Hannah m. Nath'l Reynolds Esq. 1739.
Silence m. Robert Keith 1763.
2. Nathan (s. of Samuel I.) m. Susanna, D. of Richard Field 1746, and had Mary 1753, Daniel 1755, Susanna 1758 ; his wife d. 1758, and he m. Betty Cushman 1761, and Sarah Bonney of Pembroke 1762, and had Nathan 1765, b. in E.
Mary m. Abner Shirley 1781.
Susanna m. Asa Keith 1784.
Nathan m. Sally Ripley of Plympton 1789.
3. Jonas (s. of Samuel 1.) and his wife Ruhama had Isaac 1752, Samuel 1755, Jonas 1761, after his father's death ; the wid. m. Josiah Snell Jr. 1763.
Jonas gra. at Dartmouth 1787 and settled at Kittery in the ministry 1791.
4. Maj. Daniel (s. of Nathan 2.) m. Mahitabel, D. of Jonathan Copeland 1779, and had Betty 1783, Daniel 1785, Ephraim 1787, Lentha 1789, Udotia 1791, Polly 1794, Lucy 1796, George 1799.
Daniel m. Irene, D. of Zebulun Willis 1717, and had a son Charles 1818 ; she d. l818, and he m. Mary Soper 1821.
Lentha m. Daniel Richards 1812.
Polly m. Zeba Richards 1817.
5. Isaac (s. of Jonas 3.) m. Abigail, D. of Maj. Daniel Lathrop 1775, and had Isaac, Jonas, Ruhama, John.
Ruhama m. David Harvey 1821.
John m. Lucinda, D. of Nathan Howard 1801.
Hannah m. Alfred Howard 1799.
Isaac m. Melinda Manly 1809.
Jonas m. Sally, D. of Nehemiah Howard 1820.
Experience m. Jonathan Leach Jr. 1768.
Martha m. Joshua Packard Jr. 1756.
1. Elizabeth, D. of Dea. John Willis m. a Harvey, and the following were probably her children or grand children, viz.: Joseph, Nathaniel 1705 ; Jenny, Mary, Elizabeth, and Mehitabel.
Jenny m. Seth Leach 1732.
Mary m. Charles Cushman 1739.
Elizabeth m. Jonathan Whitman 1747.
Mehitabel m. Caleb Orcutt 1738.
2. Joseph (see Elizabeth 1.) and his w. Mary, had Joseph 1730.
3. Nathaniel (see Elizabeth 1.) m. Margaret, D. of John Willis 1733, and had David 1735, Nathaniel 1744.
Nathaniel Harvey d. 1801, ae. 96.
4. Joseph Jr, m. Keziah Washburn 1749, and had Zerviah 1750, Seth 1754, Joseph 1756.
Keziah Harvey m. Nathan Keith 1773.
5. Joseph 3d. m. Betty (wid. of Israel Keith perhaps.: her maiden name Chandler, D. perhaps of Jonathan Chandler,) 1749, and had Abthiar 1755, Jonathan 1761.
Abthiah m. Nathan Williams of R. 1781.
6. David (s. of Nathaniel 3.) m. Content, D. of Nicholas Byram 1756, and had Nathan 1757, Mary 1759, Martha 1761, Olive 1763, Hannah 1765, Oliver 1768, David 1770, Content 1773, Byram 1775, Susanna 1777.
Mary m. Edmund Harvey of Woodstock Ct. 1782.
Martha m. Daniel Ripley 1783.
Content m. Josiah Winslow 1798.
Susanna m. Isaiah Macomber 1799.
7. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 3.) m. Bethiah, D. of John Hayward perhaps 1766, and had Daniel, Bezer.
Bezer m. Ruth Carver 1795.
8. Nathan (s. of David 6.) m. Mehitabel Harvey 1788, and had Otis 1789, Galen 1791, Seth B. 1794, Betty H. 1796, Content R. 1799, Nathan 1803, Mehitabel A. 1810.
Nathan, the father d. 1815.
Otis m. Eunice, D. of Benj. Leach 1819.
Galen m. Anna Leach 1817.
9. Oliver (s. of David 6.) m. Desire (or Keziah), D. of George Turner 1793, and had Oliver 1794, Abiezer T. 1798.
1.0. David (s. of David 6.) m. Olive, D. of Jesse Dunbar 1803, (David Harvey m. Phebe, D. of Thaxter Dunbar,) and had Thaxter 1811, David 1815, Lorenzo D. 1817, Oliver B. 1820 ; she d. 1720, and he m. Ruhama, D. of Isaac Hartwell 1821.
11. Byram (s. of David 6.) m. Parnel, D. of Calvin Keith 1800, and had Charles Miller 1801, James Keith 1804, Calvin 1806, Patty Alger 1809, Sally 1811, Willard 1815.
12. Daniel (s. of Nathaniel 7.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Simeon Ames 1795, and had Experience 1795, Barzillai 1798, Lydia 1800. He d. and the wid. m. Parmenas Ames 1804.
Bethiah m. John Hayward 1759.
Keziah m. Nathan Keith 1773.
Mary m. Edmund Williams of R. 1781.
Betsy m. William Clark 1781.
Marshall m. Orphah Edson 1785.
Chloe of Freetown m. Robert Robinson 1807.
Sophia m. Levi Osbourne of R. 1797.
Experience m. Elisha Hayward 1708.
Mary m. Nathaniel Hayward 1716.
Abigail Harvey of T. m. James Latham 1739.
Wm. Harvey at T. 1744.
Thomas Harvey at T. 1726 ae. 84, s. of William below probably.
William and Joan Harvey of Boston had Abigail 1640, Thomas 1641, Experience 1644, Joseph 1645.
William and Martha had William 1651, Thomas 1652, John 1654.
1. David Hatch (from Marshfield) m. Mary Turner and lived in E. B. and had David, Mary 1734, John 1737, Mercy 1740.
Mary m. Thomas Phillips Jr. 1755.
Mercy m. Joseph Noyes 1766.
David, father or son, m. Jemima Norton 1754.
David m. Lydia, D. of John Allen.
2. John (s. of David 1.) m. Deborah, D. of John Allen, and had Walter, Mary, Deborah, Allen, Elizabeth, Louisa, Lurana, and Thirza.
Walter m. Eunice, D. of Capt. David Kingman 1780, and went to Belfast.
Mary m. Ichabod Howland 1780, and then Capt. Levi Washburn.
Deborah m. Joseph Joslyn Jr. 1785.
Allen m. Sarah Standish 1787, and lived in Hal., and had a family and d.1831 ae. 67.
Louisa m. John Willet 1799.
Lurana m. a Jones.
Thirza m. Seth Beal 1799.
3. Luther (s. of Isaac of Hanover) m. Molly, D. of Benjamin Whitman 1790, and settled in E. B., and had Mary 1791, Priscilla 1794, Luther 1796, Isaac 1798 ; she d. 1830, ae. 67.
Luther was killed by lightning 1819, ae. 23.
Isaac m. a Chandler.
Lucy of Hingham m. Micah White 1771.
Roxana, D. of Allen probably, m. Calvin .Harden 1813.
James m. Mary Townsend of A. 1819.
Ebenezer Hathaway (s. of Josiah of Halifax,) settled in E. B. a. 1807, and had Ebenezer, Seabury Child, Cushman, John Hooper ; he d. 1830, ae. 62.
Seabury C. m. Sarah Porter of H. 1818.
Cushman m. Mary F. Trask of P. 1820, she d.1826, ae. 25.
Josiah Hathaway Jr. of Halifax m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Latham 1766.
Josiah Hathaway m. Sibil Pettingill 1788.
Zephaniah Hathaway of T. m. Silence Alden of M. 1792.
Chloe Hathaway m. Jonah Benson Jr. 1819.
Olive Hathaway of M. m. Samuel White 1792.
Deborah m. Jonathan Pratt 1817.
Lazarus m. Olive Pratt 1774.
1. Jonathan Hayden m. Hannah Cushman of Halifax 1754, and had Sarah 1755, Hannah 1757, Betty 1762, Jonathan 1764, Mary 1767, Moses Cushman 1770, Levinia 1773.
Sarah m. Francis Drake 1775.
Jonathan Hayden of Grafton m. wid Joanna Packard 1807.
2. Col. Josiah, (s. of Benjamin of Braintree) came to N. B. in youth : m. Silence, D. of Daniel Howard Esq. 1763 : was major in the Revolutionary war : had Charles 1764, Josiah, Daniel, Silence, Mehitabel, Demaris, Elizabeth, Mary. He removed to Winslow Me. and d. 1814 ae. 84.
Silence m. a Clark, and afterwards Jonathan Cary 1808.
Samuel Hayden was in N. B. 1763.
Polly Hayden of Braintree m. Elijah Hayward 4th 1792.
Lewis Hayden of St. m. Abigail Tirrell 1815.
3. Abner Nathaniel Hayden and his wife Sarah, had Abner Wales 1827, Isaac Keith 1829, Edwin 1830.
1. Thomas Hayward came from England in the same vessel with John Ames and settled in Duxbury before 1638 : was made a freeman 1646 : was an original proprietor, and among the earliest and eldest of the settlers, of Bridgewater : he d. 1681 : his will dated 1678 : no wife living. He had Thomas, Nathaniel, John, Joseph, Elisha.
Mary w. of Edward Mitchell,
and Martha, w. of John Howard.
His son Thomas was a witness to his will, and probably wrote it.
2. Thomas Esq. (s. of Thomas l.) was also one of the first settlers of Bridgewater, and by far the most honored and distinguished man in the place : was one of the first military officers: appointed Lieutenant 1667 and Captain 1692 : was a Magistrate and one of the Governor's Assistants, first chosen 1690, and Justice of C. C. P., and Sessions 1692 : his death was occasioned. by a fall from his horse, 15 Aug. 1698 ; he left a wid. Sarah, but no children : he lived near where Daniel Hayward now (1840) lives.
3 Nathaniel (s. of Thomas 1.) m. Hannah, D. of Dea. John Willis, and had Nathaniel 1664, John, Thomas, Samuel, Benjamin, Elisha, Patience, and perhaps other Ds.
Patience m. Israel Alger.
4. John (s. of Thomas 1.) commonly called JOHN of THE PLAIN, to distinguish him from John Haward (both being pronounced alike, Howard) : he m. Sarah, D. of Experience Mitchell ; and had Sarah 1663, John 1667, Joseph 1669, Mary 1672, Thomas 1674, Benjamin 1677, Susanna 1680, Elizabeth 1683, Benoni 1686, Mercy 1687. His estate settled 1710.
Sarah m. Nathaniel Brett 1683.
Mary m. William Ames 1698.
Susanna m. Thomas Hayward 1702.
Elizabeth m. Edmund Rawson 1717.
Benoni m. Hannah Gould 1717, and Hannah Page 1743 : qu. if she did not m. Ephraim Cleveland 1747.
He lived on the Plain between the late old Mr. Jonathan Copeland's and the old Powder House, where his son-in-law Nath'l Brett lived after him and where young Jonathan Copeland lives now. (1840).
5. Dea. Joseph (s. of Thomas 1.) m. first Alice, D. of Elder William Brett and had Joseph 1673 ; he had 3 wives, and had a D. Alice 1683: his 3d. wife was Hannah, D. of Experience Mitchell, by whom he had Mary 1685, Thomas 1687, Edward 1689, Hannah 1691, Susanna 1695, Peter 1699, Abigail 1702. His will 1718.
Alice m. Israel Alger.
Mary m. Thomas Ames 1706.
Hannah m. Capt. Ebenezer Byram 1714.
Susanna m. Jonathan Packard probably 1719.
Abigail .m. Zechariah Snell 1731.
Dea. Joseph, and his father Thomas, lived probably near where the Rev. Dr. Reed lived.
6. Elisha (s. of Thomas 1.) was never m.: he lived in E. B., (at Joppa), and his brother-in-law, Edward Mitchell, lived with him and had most of his estate, which was considerable : his will, dated 1703, mentions his nephews, Thomas, s. of Joseph, Thomas, s. of John, Thomas, s. of Nathaniel.
7. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 3.) lived in E. B. (at Joppa): his wife Elizabeth, had Josiah 1688, Nathaniel 1690, Isaac 1691, Hannah 1694, Sarah 1696, Elizabeth 1698, Timothy 1700, Mercy 1702, Mary 1705, Susanna 1707, Bethiah 1711 : his will 1734.
Sarah m. Joseph Latham 1717.
Elizabeth m. Samuel Reed 1737.
Mercy m. Elisha Dunbar 1727.
Mary m. Capt. David Kingman 1732.
Susanna m. David Whitman 1738.
Bethiah m. Jonathan Perkins 1738.
Col. Edward Mitchell finally owned the estates of both Samuel and Nathaniel, and there is now no house where either of them lived.
8. John (s. of Nathaniel 3.) m.. Sarah, D. of Nathaniel Willis, 1707, and had John 1707, Ebenezer 1710: Ebenezer m. Elizabeth Hanmer 1750.
9. Thomas (s. of Nathaniel 3.) lived and was the first settler at the Center, so called ; m. Susanna, D. of John Hayward, (m. at Scituate) 1702, and had Elizabeth 1706, d. 1772 ; Thomas 1705, Susanna 1711, John 1713, Jacob 1717, Jemima 1721. The father and mother both d.1746.
Susanna m. David Dunbar 1733.
10. Samuel (s. of Nathaniel 3.) lived awhile in E. B. near his brother Nathaniel ; his wife Elizabeth ; had Experience 1701, Patience 1704, Samuel 1706.
Experience m. James Dunbar 1722.
Patience m. John Willis 1724.
Samuel Hayward m. Abigail Torrey of Scituate 1725, and had James 1729.
Samuel Hayward m. Hannah Hill 1732, perhaps wid. of Nathaniel.
11. Benjamin (s. of Nathaniel 3.) lived in S. B. near Hayward's Bridge, so called, and m. Sarah, D. probably of John Aldrich a. 1700, and had Benjamin 1701, Sarah 1705, Hezekiah 1707, Jacob 1712 : his will 1732 : be d. 1733, ae. 56.
Sarah m. David Conant 1723.
12. Elisha (s. of Nathaniel 3.) had the homestead of his father, and lived where his s. Ezra afterwards lived on the south side of the river : m. Experience Harvey 1708 ; had Elisha and Experience 1710, Hannah 1711, Tabitha and Abner 1714: he m. Bethiah, D. of William Snow, 1721 ; had Bethiah 1722, Naomi 1726, Ezra 1729.
Experience m. Benjamin Curtis 1732.
Hannah m. John Snow 1731.
Tabitha m. Jacob Hayward 1742.
Bethiah m. Thomas Willis probably 1743.
Naomi m. Joseph Alger 1747.
13. John (s. of John 4.) m. Susanna, D. of Samuel Edson, and had Susanna 1699, Sarah 1703 : he d. 1705, and the widow m. Elihu Brett Jr. 1706.
Susanna m. Joshua Howard 1724.
Sarah m. Josiah Winslow of Freetown 1721.
14. Dea. Thomas (s. of John 4.) m. Bethiah, D. of William Brett 1706: he lived on the southerly side of Matfield River, within the bounds of E. B., where his father-in-law, Brett, lived before him. There is no house there now. Had Alice 1707, Bethiah 1715, Mary 1719, Seth 1721, Phebe 1725. He d. 1741, she 1745.
Alice had a son, Thomas Cushman, and m. Joseph Pratt 2d. 1749.
Bethiah m. Arthur Harris 1741, and afterwards Robert Latham.
Mary m. Samuel Dunbar 1745.
Phebe m. Josiah Washburn 1753.
15. Joseph (s. of John 4.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Daniel Dunham, 1700 : he lived where his uncle Thomas Esq. lived, with whom he was brought up, near where his grandson Daniel now lives : he had Mehitabel 1701, Thomas 1702, Joanna 1704, Melatiah 1706, Hannah 1708, Sarah 1710, Joseph 1713, d. 1738 ; Daniel 1715, d. 1749 ; Benjamin 1717. He d. 1758 ; his will dated 1751.
Mehitabel m. Samuel Edson 173S.
Joanna m. David Snow 1731.
Melatiah m. Samuel Dunbar.
Hannah d. single 1785.
Sarah never m.
16. Joseph (s. of Dea. Joseph 5.) m. Sarah Crossman 1703, lived in or near Raynham probably, and had William 1704, Eleazar 1705, Alice 1707, Lydia 1708, Jemima 1711, Sarah 1713, Mary 1718, Joseph 1725.
Alice m. Joseph Drake 1727.
Lydia m. James Perigo 1728.
This may be the man who was called Joseph Hayward of the neck 1727.
Joseph Hayward of R. m. Mary Cohoon 1744.
17. Thomas (s. of Dea. Joseph 5.) m. Bethiah Waldo, and lived where Dr. Reed lived, and had Edmund and Jane 172o, Eiljah 1722, Hannah 1723, Bethiah 1725, Rebecca 1727.
Jane m. Benjamin Pierce Jr. of Scituate 1750.
Hannah m. Oliver Cheney of Pomfret 1744.
Bethiah m. Zephaniah Willis 1754.
Rebecca m. Isaac Willis 1759.
18. Edward Esq. (s. of Dea. Joseph 5.) lived in Easton and m. Keziah White a. 1749. Edward Hayward m. Zilphah Leach 1760.
Capt. Edward Hayward m. Betty Powers 1802.
Edward Hayward 3d m. Parnel Howard 1805.
Edward Hayward Jr. m. wid. Sally Keith 1820.
19. Peter (s. of Dea. Joseph 5.) m. Abigail Williams 1732, and had Jonathan 1734, Hannah 1748. The father d. a. 1765. Hannah m. Samuel Kinsley 1722.
Jonathan m. Mary, D. of Maj. Isaac Johnson 1769 ; had Abigail, 1770, Jonathan, Jerathmael 1776, Polly 1777, Hannah 1778, Martin, Barzillai, Daniel and Betsy twins.
Abigail m. Jonah Willis 1788.
Jonathan m. Mary, D. of Timo. Hayward, 1795, and afterwards Celia Wilbor.
Jerathmael m. Rebecca, D. of Nath'l Manly, 1802.
Polly m. John Tilden 17966.
Hannah m. Jonah Willis 1800.
Martin m. Susanna, D. of Daniel Manly, 1808, and had Susanna 1811, Martin 1813, and Phebe Maria 1816.
Barzillai gra. B. U. 1807, and m. Vesta, D. of James Howard 1811, and afterwards Hannah Rathburn of Bellingham 1813, and lived in Northampton, and then in Munson, where he d. and left a family : he was a physician.
Daniel m. Keziah Wilbor of E. 1815.
Betsy m. a Drake of E.
20. Josiah (s. of Nathaniel 7.) m. Sarah, D. of Samuel Kinsley, 1715, and had Josiah 1717, Nathan 1720, Abraham 1722*, Sarah 1724, Martha 1727*. He then m. Sarah, wid. of Theodosius Moore and D. of John Prior, 1738, and had Hannah : he d. 1764.
Sarah m. Silas Willis a.1745.
Hannah m. Eliphaz Prior of Duxbury.
21. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 7.) m. Mary Harvey 1716, and had Nathaniel, Experience 1719, Simeon, Silence, Dorcas, d. 1756, Mary probably, and perhaps Elizabeth. He d. 1755, she 1756.
Experience m. Jonathan Alden of Greenwich 1743, and d. 1809 ae. 90.
Mary m. Jacob Tomson 1735.
Simeon m. Mary Besse 1757 and left the town.
Elizabeth m. John Bolton Jr. 1751.
Silence m. Benjamin Price 1643.
22. Isaac (s. of Nathaniel 7.) m. Martha wid. of Nathan Perkins and D. of Solomon Leonard 1728.
Martha Hayward m. Joseph Perkins 1761.
Solomon Hayward m. Martha Burr.
23. Timothy (s. of Nathaniel 7.) m. Mary wid. of Samuel Reed 1730, and had Timothy 1732, Ebenezer 1734, Daniel 1740. He then m. wid. Jael Peterson and had Mary, Ezra 1751, after his father's death. The wid. then m. Capt. Seth Alden 1755.
Ebenezer went to Rindge N. H.
Ezra went to Dux. m. Esther, D. of Lemuel Delano : had Ezra, Daniel, Isaac, and Pamela who m. John Watson.
Mary went to Windsor, and m. there.
24. John (s. of John 8.) and his wife Esther had Zadock 1733, Sarah 1735, Mary 1736.
Zadock Hayward m. Experience Bearce 1768.
Sarah Hayward d. 1768.
25. Nathan Hayward and his w. Content had Nathan 1749, Daniel 1751, Jonathan 1752.
26. Thomas (s. of Thomas 9.) m. Elizabeth, wid. of Nicholas Byram and D. of Matthew Gannett, 1746, (lived at the Center) and had Susanna 1747, Mary 1749, Betty and Thomas 1753: she d. 1812, ae. 94.
Susanna m. Jesse Edson 1768.
Mary m. Benjamin Marshall 1768.
Betty m. Nath'l Manly 1778.
27. Jacob (s. of Thomas. 9.) m. Tabitha, D. of Elisha Hayward 1742, and had Jacob 1743, John 1745, Tabitha 1746, Experience 1748*, Silvanus 1750, Cornelius 1752, Jemima 1754, Hannah 1756.
Jacob left no children.
Cornelius d. a bachelor.
Jemima m. David Snow 1787.
Hannah m. Thomas Hayward 1781.
28. Samuel (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Susanna, D. of Samuel Edson, 1736, went to Taunton, and there d. Had Samuel, and
one D. who m. a Stacy,
and Betty who m. Nath'l Harvey 1766,
and Abigail who m. Beriah Willis 1759.
29. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 11.) m. Elizabeth, D. of William Conant 1724, and had Sarah, Rebecca 1729, Hannah 1736, Ruth 1741, after her father's death.
Sarah m. Isaac Buck perhaps 1773.
Rebecca m. Thomas Parris.
30. Hezekiah (s. of Benjamin 11.) m. Huldah, D. of Capt. Josiah Edson 1738, and had Elijah 1741, Huldah 1744, Hezekiah 1746, Ziba 1749, Edward 1753.
Huldah m. Calvin Pierce of Scituate 1767.
Edward m. Jenny, D. of Edward Mitchell 1782 ; had no children.
The father d. 1790, ae. 83, she 1800 ae. 87.
31. Dea. Jacob (s. of Benjamin 11.) lived in S. Bridgewater : m. Martha, D. of Nehemiah Allen 1736, and. had Jacob 1738, Martha 1744, Benjamin 1747.
Martha m. Major James Allen 1761.
Dea. Hayward d. 1778.
32. Elisha (s. of Elisha 12.) m. Elizabeth, D. probably of James Washburn, 1740, and had Elisha, Jesse 1742, Caleb 1746, Betty, Molly and Hannah. Elisha Hayward m. Abigail Eddy 1747.
Elisha m. Mercy Whiting of Plymp. 1760.
Elisha m. Polly Blanchard 1778.
Jesse m. Mary, D. of Abraham Harden of Hanson 1763, and had Jesse who lived awhile in E. B., and thence removed to Ohio.
Caleb m. a Clark of Plymo., and had Caleb, Hannah, .Rhoda and Lydia : he d. 1811, ae. 65.
Caleb Hayward m. Persis Hayward 1773.
Hannah m. Col. Jesse Reed 1800.
Rhoda d. single 1818, ae. 38.
Betty m. John Hayward 1778.
Hannah m. Abraham Hayward 1787.
33. Abner (s. of Elisha 12.) m. Mary, D. of Joseph Alger, 1739 ; had Susanna 1742*, Nathan 1744*, Abner 1746, Susanna 1754. He d. 1796 ; his will dated 1788 : left a wid. Grace : she was a Turner, m. 1784.
Susanna m. Capt. Edward Hayward.
Capt. Abner m. Abigail, D. of Henry Howard 1772.
34. Ezra (s. of Elisha 12.) m. Lydia Lee 1757, and had Bethiah 1758, Ezra 1764, Lydia 1767, Charles 1769, Cyrus 1772, Sarah 1777. He lived where his father and grandfather lived. before him, and d. 1808 ; she 1816.
Bethiah m. Philip Bolton 1787.
Lydia m. Samuel Turner 1794.
Cyrus m. Deborah Ripley 1804.
Sarah m. Ansel Cobb.
35. Seth (s. of Dea. Thomas 14.) lived in S. B. : m. Tabitha, D. of Joseph Pratt Jr. 1748, and had Azariah 1749, Sarah 1752, Solomon 1754, Bethiah 1757, Charity 1760. Ruth 1764.-The father d. 1778 : the mother 1789.
Sarah m. Noah Whitman 1774.
Charity m. David Benson 1780.
Seth Hayward m. Sarah Washburn 1792.
36. Thomas (s. of Joseph 15.) lived in Titicut m. Constant, D. of Samuel Keith, and had Amos 1730, John 1732, m. but left no children, Eliab 1734, Robert 1737, Mehitabel 1740. He d. 1789, ae. 87, she 177O.
Mehitabel m. Edward Keith 1778.
37. Benjamin (s. of Joseph 15.) m. Sarah, D. of Dea. Recompence Cary 1742, and lived by the River in W. B., and had Sarah 1744, Joseph 1146, Mary 1750, Daniel 1752, Benjamin 1754, Cary 1759. He d. 1773: she 1776.
Sarah m. Issachar Snell Esq. 1769.
Mary m. Capt. Zebedee Snell 1777.
Cary m. Mary, D. of Thomas Tompson 1779, and went to Ware.
38. William (s. of Joseph 16.) and his wife Abigail had Abigail 1730, Lois 1732, Sarah 1735, Keziah 1740, Ann 1743.
Sarah m. Levi Edson 1774.
39. Eleazer (s. of Joseph 16.) and his w. Keturah had Abel 1732, Rufus 1734, Reuben 1742.
Rufus Hayward was with Gen. Winslow 1755 in seizing the Neutral French at Nova Scotia ; he enlisted from Stoughton.
40. Edmund (s. of Thomas 17.) m. Anna, D. of Josiah Snell 1751, and had Mary 1753, Isaiah 1755, Waldo 1758, Edmund 1762, Elijah 1763, Anna 1766, Hannah 1770. His estate settled 1781: she d. 1776.
Mary m. Daniel Howard 1772.
Edmund went to Sidney Me. and m. Sukey Matthews 1792.
Anna m. Solomon Shaw 1782.
41. Elijah (s. of Thomas 17.) m. Silence, D. of John Snell 1751, and had Silence 1751, Elijah 1752, Rebecca 1754, Luther 1758. He d. 1800 ; she 1802.
Elijah, the son, left no children.
42. Josiah (s. of Josiah 20.) m. Sarah, D. of Thomas Perkins 1742 ; had Lois, Sarah ; he then m. Mary Dunham 1756 ; had Hepzibah, Molly, Phinehas, Cyrus, Independence, Otis, Kinsley, Eliza, Lucy. He m. a Muxam for his 3d. w. ; he d. 1773.
Lois m. Moses Simmons 1769.
Sarah m. at Wareham and afterwards P. Turner.
Hepzibah m. Lt. Rotheus Mitchell 1783.
Molly m. Robert Edson 1782.
Cyrus m. Silvia Hayward 1809.
Independence m. Hannah Thorn 1799.
Otis m. Betsy Parris 1804.
Kinsley m. Hannah Pool of H. 1805.
Eliza m. a Bartholomew of Boston.
Lucy also went to Boston.
43. Nathan (s. of Josiah 20.) m. Susanna, D. of Charles Latham a. 1748 ; and had Adam 1749*, Beza 1752, Cephas 1754*, Susanna 1757, Sarah 1759*, Eunice 1761*, Nathan 1763, Betsy 1767*. He d. 1794, ae. 74.
Susanna m. Doct. James Thacher of Plymouth 1785.
44. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 21.) m. Elizabeth Curtis of Halifax 1742, and had Nathaniel 1743, Enos 1745, Mary 1750, Barzillai 1753, Calvin 1755, Dorcas 1758, Rebecca; his w. d. 1766, and he m. Hannah Soule of Plympton 1769, and had Philip 1770, Oliver 1771, Libeus 1772, Rufus 1774, Isaac, and Adam 1777*. His will 1784.
Mary m. a Dwier.
Dorcas m. a Bryant.
Nathaniel m. Mary Packard 1762, and he, Enos, and Barzillai went to Wareham.
Oliver m. Anna, D. of Solomon Washburn 1797, and had Oliver, Solomon 1805, Anna 1807, Harriet 1811, Ossian 1813.
45. Timothy (s. of Timothy 23.) m. Hannah, D. of Solomon Pratt 1767, and had Timothy 1770, Hannah 1772, and Mary. The mother d. 1795 m. 63.
Hannah m. Nath'l Perkins Jr. 1794.
Mary m. Jonathan Hayward 1795.
46. Daniel (s. of Timothy 23.) m. Abigail, D. of Richard Davenport Jr. 1761, and had Jairus : and removed to Greenwich. He also had 2 Ds. who m. at Greenwich (now Enfield.)
47. Thomas (s. of Thomas 26.) lives at the Center, and m. Hannah, D. of Jacob Hayward 1781, and had Ansel 1782, Betsy 1784, Hannah 1793, Harriet 1795, Thomas 1798.
Betsy m. Nath'l Edson 1802.
Hannah m. Thomas Johnson Jr. 1809.
Harriet m. Francis Cary 1816.
Thomas m. Lucy Foster of K.
48. John (s. of Jacob 27.) m. Betty, D. of Elisha Hayward 1778, and had Experience 1779, Jacob 1781, Betty 1752.
Experience m. Rufus Crosman 1818.
Jacob m. Abigail, D. of Jonah Willis 1816 he d. and she m. Alfred Whitman 1833.
Betty m. Ebenezer Colwell Jr. 1804.
49. Silvanus (s. of Jacob 27.) m. Joanna, D. of Joseph Snow, and had Silvanus, Sarah, Hannah Tabitha, and one other not m.
Sarah m. Daniel S. Brett 1807.
Hannah m. John Colwell 1813: she d. and then Tabitha m. him 1816.
50. Elijah (s. of Hezekiah 30.) m. Mary Tomson of Halifax 1785, and had Elijah, Edson, Erastus, Edward, Bela.
Elijah m. Betsy (Eliza), D. of David Kingman 1809, and removed to Cincinnati. She d. 1834 ; he was a Lawyer, Judge and Commissioner of the Land Office at Washington.
Erastus m. Mary P. Torrey 1813.
Bela lived in Weymouth and was Representative there 1839.
51: Hezekiah (s. of Hezekiah 30.) m. Hazadiah King of R. 1791 ; had Hazadiah, an only child, who m. Caleb Keith 1812.
52. Ziba (s. of Hezekiah 30.) m. Lucy, D. of John Conant; 1773 ; had Ziba, Lucy, Calvin, Jeremiah, Huldah : be d. ae. over 80.
Ziba m. Sally Bozworth of H. 1806.
Lucy m. Wm. Bozworth of H. 1807.
Calvin m. Mary, D. of Ezra Fobes 1801, and had Jane Mitchell 1802, Mary Fobes 1805*, Celesta 1806.
53. Jacob (s. of Dea. Jacob 31.) m. Joanna, D. of Daniel Snell, 1759, and had Joanna 1760, and removed from town.
54. Benjamin (s. of Dea. Jacob 31.) m. Mary, D. of Jonathan Benson, 1767, and had Sarah, Mary, Martha.
Sarah m. Caleb Alden 1790.
Martha m. Howe Keith 1795.
Mary m. Oliver Washburn 1804.
55. Charles (s. of Ezra 34.)-m. Eleanor Howard of Plymouth 1797, and had Charles 1797, Ezra 1800, Hannah 1805, John 1807, Henry 1810, Ellen 1813.
Charles m. Sally Keith 1821, and d. the same year.
56. Azariah (s. of Seth 35.) m. Ann Pratt 1768, and had Azariah and Davis : he and she both d. 1802 ; he ae. 52, she 55.
Davis m. Freelove, D. of Noah Whitman, 1804, and moved to Me.
Milicent d. 1801 ae. 25.
57. Solomon (s. of Seth 35.) m. Zerviah Washburn 1782, and had Solomon 1783, Martin 1784, Joseph 1786, Silas 1788, Nahum 1790, Seth 1792, Betsy 1794, Almarine 1796, Lewis 1798, Lavinia 1800, Luther 1802.
Solomon m. Betsy Bates 1807.
Joseph m. Silvia Conant 1814.
58. Amos (s. of Thomas 36.) m. Mary, D. of John Ripley, 1766, and had Walter 1768, Deborah 1769, John Ripley 1771, Mary. He d. 1816, ae. 86. Mary m. Capt. Joseph Alden 1800.
59. Eliab (s. of Thomas 36.) m. Martha, D. of John Fobes, 1762, and had Wealthy 1763, Lucy 1765, Thomas 1767, Eliab, Amos, and went to Townsend.
Eliab m. Celia, D. of Dea. Daniel Leach, 1803.
60. Robert (s. of Thomas 36.) m. Hannah Keith 1768, and had Olive 1771, Constant, Caleb, Oliver, Hannah.
Oliver gra. B. U. 1804, and settled in the ministry at Barnstable, and m. Lucy, D. of David Hooper, 1815, and d. of a consumption.
Hannah m. Timothy Keith 1819.
61. Joseph (s. of Benjamin 37.) m. Olive Manly 1768, and had Asaph 1770, Hannah 1772, Olive 1774, Sarah 1776, Rebecca 1778, Silvia 1780, Manly 1782, Mary 1784.
Hannah m. Jacob Dunbar 1794.
Olive m. Hayward Marshall 1794.
Sarah m. Robert Packard 1798.
Rebecca m. Jonas Reynolds 1798.
Silvia m. Solomon Stone of Easton 1817.
Mary m. Gannett Marshall of St. 1810.
Manly m. Mary Monk 1803, and had Joseph 1810, Mary Clapp 1812.
62. Daniel (s. of Benjamin 37.) m. Bethiah, D. of James Howard, 1777, and had Mehitabel 1780, Adin 1782, Ruby 1784, Sarah 1786, Daniel 1788, Pliny 1790.
Sarah m. Hayward Manly 1816.
Daniel m. Vesta Manly 1817.
Pliny m. Polly Kingman.
63. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 37.) m. Abigail, D. of Josiah Perkins, 1777, and had Mehitabel 1779, Abigail 1781, Lucinda. 1784, Sarah 1786, Benjamin 1790. He went to Ware.
64. Isaiah (s. of Edmund 40.) m. Sarah, D. of Samuel Bartlett, 1777, and had Barzillai 1775, and moved away.
65. Waldo (s. of Edmund 40.) m. Lucy, D. of Samuel Bartlett, 1781, and had Ira 1782, Abby 1786, Bela 1787, Zina 1789, Waldo 1794, Otho 1796, Lucinda 1800.
Abby m. Isaac Eames 1811.
Waldo m. Polly 1816, and Nancy 1818, both Ds. of Ebenezer Alger.
66. Elijah (s.. of Edmund 40.) m. Polly Hayden of Braintree 1792, and had Eli 1793, Betsy F. 1795, Lavinia 1796, Polly 1798, Jane 1801, Susanna 1802, Anne 1805, Elijah Edmund 1807. He left town.
Betsy F. m. Oliver Bonney of Hadley 1814.
67. Luther (s. of Elijah 41.) m. Betty, D. of Nathan Willis, 1785, and had Luther 1787, Eliza 1789, Nahum 1790, Nathan 1792 : his wife d. and he m. Urania White of Marshfield 1794: he d. 1832.
Luther m. Clarissa R. Inglee 1812, and had Betsy Willis 1813, Luther 1814, James Ingells 1816.
Eliza m. John Southworth 1806.
Maj. Nathan m. Rhoda, D. of Howard Cary Esq., 1818.
68. Hon. Beza (s. of Nathan 43.) m. Abigail, D. of Col. Briggs Alden of Duxbury, 1784, and had John Alden 1788*, and Beza*: his w. d. 1800, ae. 45, and he then m. Experience, wid. of Capt. James Russell of Plymouth and D. of Ichabod Shaw, 1801, and bad Charles Latham*, John Shaw, and.Susanna 1805. He gra. H. U. 1772, studied divinity and preached, but was never settled; spent the early part of his life in fitting young men for college : was Representative, Senator, and Councilor: removed to Plymouth, and held the office of Register of Probate for many years, and until his death.
69. Dr. Nathan (s.. of Nathan 43.) gra. H. U. 1785, lives at Plymouth ; was a Surgeon in the army, and is High Sheriff of the Co.: m. Joanna, D. of Pelham Winslow Esq., and had Geo. Washington and John Adams, (twins), both d.*; Mary Winslow, James Thacher, Elizabeth, Pelham Winslow, Charles Latham, George Partridge.
Mary W. m. Wm. S. Russell.
James T. m. a D. of Judge Thomas Dawes of Boston.
70. Timothy (s. of Timothy 45.) m. Huldah, D. of Silvanus Ames, 1792, and had Polly 1792, Timothy 1795, Huldah 1797, Sally Willis 1800, Sullivan 1802: his wife d. 1807, and he m. Mary Crooker Stetson 1817, and had Bethiah Stetson 1817, Mercutio 1819, Mary 1822, Nathan Stetson 1824, Hannah Pratt 1827.
Polly m. Isaac Fobes 1811, and d. before 1822.
Timothy m. Sarah Billings 1817.
Huldah m. Asa Perkins 1815, his mother was a Morse.
Sally W. m. Simeon Perkins.
71. Ansel (s. of Thomas- 47.) m. Huldah, D. of Thos. Johnson, 1807, and had Ansel Alonzo 1808, Harriet Ann 1810, Lorenzo Thomas 1812, John Elbridge 1814, Lucy Maria 1815, and went to Belchertown, and writes his name Howard.
72. Azariah (s. of Azariah 56.) m. Silvia, wid. of Silvanus Conant, and D. of John Conant, 1798, and had Tempe 1799, Anna 1800, Chloe 1803, Marshall 1804, and went to Me.
73. Walter (s. of Amos 58.) m. Ruth, D. of old John Alden of M. 1793, and had Alden 1798, Loisa 1801, Franklin 1802, Thos. Jefferson 1804, Walter 1808. he d.1838.
One s. m. a D. of Thomas Mitchell.
74. John Ripley (s. of Amos 58.) m. Nabby Robinson 1801, and Clarissa Robinson of M. 1802, and had Nabby Robinson 1802, Clarissa Robinson 1803, Emily 1807.
75. Constant (s. of Robert 60.) m. Hannah Snow, wid, of Josiah Keen and D. of Ezra Whitman, 1808, and had Henrietta 1809, Harriet Whitman 1812.
76. Asaph (s. of Joseph 61) m. Polly Drake of Easton 1791, and had Asaph 1793, Olive 1794, Joseph 1796, Laura 1799, Azel 1801, Edwin and Emmy 1803. This family removed to Waybridge, Vt.
77. Ira (s. of Waldo 65.) m. Sarah, D. of Josiah Edson, 1806, and had Otis 1806, Ambrose 1810, Sumner Augustus 1812, Julia 1814, Sarah Reliance 1818: his wife d. 1819, and he m. wid. Susanna Fish 1820, and removed to Kingston.
78. Edward (see Edward 18.) m. Parnel, D. of James Howard, 1805, and had Eliza 1806, Rhoda 1808, Susanna 1810, Edward 1812, Vesta 1815 : his w. d. 1818.
James Hayward Jr. m. Sarah Harris 1751.
Martha m. Joseph Perkins 1761.
Jonathan Hayward, or Howard, of E. m. Sarah, D. of Timothy Leach, 1762.
Olive Hayward m. Jeremiah Leach 1776.
Olive m. Joseph Fobes of E. 1780.
Oliver m. Tabitha Howard, of St., 1786.
Adah m. Jedediah Willis of E. 1802.
Bethiah m. Backus Leach 1804.
Benjamin m. Philibert Leonard of Mid'o. 1807.
Ansel of Boston m. Lucinda Tolman 1812.
Lydia m. Nathan Richards 1813.
Silas m. Mary Thayer 1779.
1. William Hearsey (s. of William and Abigail (Tirrell) of Abington born 1719.) settled in East Bridgewater - m. Lydia Gurney of Abington 1745 and had Stephen 1751 , William 1753, Lydia 1757, and Deborah 1762. The father d. 1816, ae. 97.
Lydia m. John Harden 1779.
2. Stephen (s. of William 1.) and his w. Polly, had David, Jacob, Nathaniel, Dorothy, Mehitabel, and Relief.
David m. a Barstow of Hanover.
Jacob m. Polly Drake 1812.
Dorothy m. Thomas R. Alden.
Mehitabel m. Ellis Holmes.
Susanna Hearsey m. Achish Pool 1799.
3. William (s. of william 1.) m. Molly Pratt of Abington 1779, and had John, William.
John m. Sarah Lathrop 1807.
William m. Abigail, D. of Nathan Dawes.
David m. Esther Reed 1707.
Alice m. Noah Harden 1816.
Galen m. Polly Johnson 1813.
Obadiah m. Naomi Reed 1777.
Solomon Jr. m. Silvia Gurney 1802.
Martha m. Jacob Dawes 1800.
Tho's m. Deborah Pool 1793.
Molly m. David Churchill Jr. 1797.
Joseph Jr. m. Sarah White 1799.