History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Daniel Bacon made free 1647 was an early settler in W. B., owned a purchase right, and the farm where Timothy Reed Esq. lately lived ; all Which he.sold to his nephew Michael Bacon Jr. of Billerica, who sold it to John Kingman of Weymouth 1685, and Kingman and his descendants have ever since occupied it. It came into the possession of Reed by his marriage with Hannah the only child of the late Caleb Kingman deceased, the last of the name who owned it.
Daniel Bacon was one of the jury for laying out highways in 1664, and is mentioned again in 1668, but the family early left the town.
BAILEY of BAYLEY
Guido Bayley was among the first settlers of the town : took the oath of fidelity here in 1657 : purchased John Irish's proprietary right or share 1659, and was called of Bridgewater : he first lived in W. B. "near Goodman Lathrop's and the flaggy meadow," but afterwards appeared in S. B. near where the late Zechariah Whitman afterwards lived : he sold his place there to his nephew Manasseh Marston of Salem in 1696 ; the selectmen consenting to it, to whom he from age and infirmity had previously applied for assistance ; Marston to maintain him and his D. Mary ; he had in 1687 conveyed his whole estate " excepting what he had before given to the rest of his children" to his son Guido, who died immediately after, and it came again to the father.
He d. a. 1700 ; his wife's name was Ruth : he had Guido, Mary, Ruth and Elizabeth.
Guido d. a. 1690 and Ebenezer Hill settled his estate.
Mary first m. a Randall and then Isaac Leonard perhaps 1701; she conveyed twenty acres of land to her cousin Marston 1697, who was to take care of her, and he conveyed it to Leonard 1702.
Ruth m. Ebenezer Hill 1684.
Elizabeth m. James Harris 1693; her father gave her his estate and farm in W. B. by Lathrop's.
In 1703 the town directed the selectmen to take care of the wid. Bayley and keep her in possession of her just right in her late husband's estate as far as may be." This family is extinct here.
2. Adams Bailey b. 1722 (s. of Joseph who was s. of John of Scituate) m. Sarah, D. of Jonathan Howard of W. B. 1746 and settled there ; and had Seth 1747, Adams 1748, Joseph 1749, (all b. at Scituate), Sarah 1752, Charity 1754, Jonathan 1756, Caleb 1759, Ebenezer 1760, Charlotte 1763, Daniel 176.5, Caleb 1768, Paul 1770, (the 9 last b. at Bridgewater).
Sarah m. Isaac Lathrop 1775.
Paul m. Betsy, D. of Jeremiah Thayer 1798 and went to Sidney, Me.
3. Seth (s. of Adams 2) m. Deborah, D. of Capt. Jacob Packard 1770, and had Sally 1770, Deborah 1772, Jacob 1775.
4. Capt. Adams (s. of Adams 2) m. Catharine Little 1775 ; he was an officer in the revolutionary war and lived and died at Charlestown, where he was master or superintendant of the U. S. marine hospital: he had a s. Adams b. 1780, who lives in Boston.
5. Joseph (s. of Adams 2) m. Abigail, D. probably of Capt. Jacob Packard, 1771, and had Charlotte 1772 : he d. young probably.
Wid. Abigail Bailey d. 1775, ae 47, as appears on E. B. records.
6. Jonathan (s. of Adams 2) m. Catharine Nichols 1778, and had Mephibosheth 1778, Sarah 1780, Catharine 1782.--Sarah m. Caleb Snell 1799.
7. Ebenezer (s. of Adams 2) m. Silvia, D. of Capt. Eliakim Howard 1782, and had Mehitabel 1782, Adams 1784, and then went westward.
Lydia Bailey d. 1794, ae 21.
Thankful Bailey m. Thos. Lindsay Jr. 1786.
Joseph Bailey of Freeport m. Patience Holmes 1796.
8. Capt. Israel, b. at Scituate 1708 (s. of John of Hanover, who was son of John of Scituate) was cousin of Adams 2, and uncle of Col. John of Hanover of revolutionary memory. He m. Keziah Perry 1730, and settled in E. B.: his will 1749, proved 1750 ; his w. and brother John of Hanover ex'ors.; he had Rhoda 1731*, Israel 1732, Keziah 1734, Hannah 1736, Abigail 1738, Rachel 1740, Ward 1742, Sarah 1744,, Elizabeth 1746*, (all b. at Scituate before be came to E. B.); his widow m. Joseph Keith 1763 and d. 1796, ae.90.
Keziah m. John Richards 1751.
Hannah m. Solomon Packard 1760.
Abigail m. Capt. Jacob Allen 1762, and afterwards Isaac Lazell senr.
Rachel m. Benjamin Byram 1760.
9. Israel (s. of Capt. Israel 8.) m. Martha, wid. of Isaac Alden and D. of Solomon Packard senr. 1760, and d. 1773, ae. 41; he had Eliphalet 1760, Israel 1764, John 1766, and Timothy 1768.
Eliphalet m. Martha, D. of John Robinson, 1782, and had ward, Eliphalet, Winslow Clift, Nahum, Ira, John, Melville, and several ds., and removed to Plymouth where he d.
Israel m. Lucy, D. of William Whitman, 1789.
Timothy m. Anna Washburn, D. of Amos Whitman, 1796.
Israel, John, and Timothy removed to Minot, Me.
10. Ward (s. of Capt. Israel 8.) m. Polly, d. of Rev. Christopher Sergeant of Methuen, 1765, and had Christopher Sergeant 1767, Susanna 1768 : he then removed to Vermont.
11. Winslow Clift Bailey (s. of Eliphalet : see Israel 8.) and his w. Nancy had Lucy E. 1808, Hope S. 1810, Eliphalet, b. in Plymo. 1813, William E. 1815, Nancy 1819.
James Barber had Mary 1692, Hezekiah 1696, b. here, and there is no farther account of the family.
Patience Barber m. John Cole of Plympton 1709.
William Barrell (s. of William of Boston, who d. in 1639 in early life) settled in Scituate, and m. Lydia, wid. of John James, 1680, and had William 1683, Lydia 1684, who m. Sarml. Stockbridge 1703, Mary 1686, James 1687.
2. William (s. of William 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of John Bailey, 1706 ; Lived in Scituate, and had Hannah 1706, Lydia 1709, who m. Joseph Young-1726, William 1714 : his w. d. and he m. a 2d w. had James 1727, Colburn, John, and Elisha 1735 : the family were remarkable for longevity.
James d. Aplil 17, 1827, having lived nearly to the age of 100, and left James, William, Noah, and Bartlett.
.Colburn was a soldier in the American, and also the old French war, and a man of extraordinary strength and activity, and d. a,1782.
Elisha completed his 94th year and d. 1829.
3. William (s. of William 2. and cousin of Capt. Israel Bailey) m. a Simmons and had a son Joshua in Scituate and then his w. dying, he came and settled in E.B. and m. Sarah, an only child of Dea. James Cary, 1751, and succeeded in her right to her father's estate, and had James 1753*, Sarah 1754,_ Lydia 1757, Hannah 1759, Ruth 1762, Content 1764, James 1766.
Sarah m. Nathan Alden, Esq. 1776.
Lydia m. Dea. Eliphalet Packard 1782.
Hannah d. single 1784, ae. 24.
Ruth m. Capt. Robert Packard 1782.
Content d. single 1823, ae. 57.
William, the father d. 1806, ae 91. his wid. Sarah d. the same year ae 84.
4. John (s. of William 2.) came also to E. B., and m. Judith, D. of Isaac Snow, 1756, and had Molly 1757*, John 1760, Judith 1763 : he d. 1762, and the family afterwards removed westward.
5. Joshua (s. of William 3.) m. Olive, D. of Capt. Jonathan Bass, 1769, and had Susanna 1771, Jennet 1774, William 1776, Jona. Bass 1779*, Samuel 1781, Elijah 1784, Azor 1786, Charles 1789, Paschal 1796.
Susanna m. Oakes Whitman 1790.
Jennet m. John Loring Esq. 1794.
William m. Huldah, D. of John Bisbee, 1801, and parents and children all removed to Turner, Me.
6. Maj. James (s. of William 3.) m. Betsy, D. of Thomas Russell, 1785, and had James Cary*, Ruth, Hannah, Abigail, all baptized 1800, George Whitfield 1801.
Maj. Barrell d. 1810, ae 43 ; his w. still survives. [transcriber's note: this was pub. 1840]
Ruth m. Dr. Caleb Swan of E. 1816.
Hannah m. Dr. Daniel Sawin 1810.
Abigail m. Hon. Jared Whitman of Abington 1813 : these Ds. all d. in early life.
George W. m. a D. of Dr. Samuel Guild Esq. Of Easton.
7. James (s. of James and grandson of William 2.) lived in Scituate and had James, Abel, Thomas, Elias and Colburn, most of whom came to E. B.
James keeps the poor house there.
Abel m. Polly, D. of Jonathan Alden, 1810.
Thomas m. Huldah; D. of Matthew Allen, 1815.
Elias m. Deborah Tilden 1813.
George and John, brothers of the first William Barrell of Boston, lived in Boston : George d. there 1643, leaving John and James and perhaps other children.—John's will is on record there dated 1658.
James Barrett and his w. Mary lived in E. B., and had Martha 1725, Solomon 1727, Stephen 1730, Mary 1732, John and Joseph 1734, Sarah 1736, James 1738.--This family soon removed from the town.
Wright Bartlett, from Hingham probably, m. Bethiah, D. of Samuel Packard, 1731, and settled in W. B., and had Samuel, Relief, Lydia, Phillis, and perhaps others.
Relief m. Ebenezer Hooper 1761.
Lydia m. Ebenezer Hinds 1751.
Phillis m. Edward Powers 1753.
John Bartlett and his wife and Catharine Williams were warned out of town 1739, and Wright Bartlett was " forewarned not to entertain them any longer."
2. Samuel (s. of Wright 1.) m. Susanna, D. of David Dunbar, 1757, and had Susanna 1758, Sarah 1760, Lucy 1762, Job Packard 1764*, Samuel 1766, Hannah 1769, Rachel 1772, Keziah 1775, ,David 1778.
Susanna m. David Gurney 1792.
Sarah m. Isaiah Hayward 1777.
Lucy m. Waldo Hayward 1781
Samuel m. Lucy Jenkins 1785 and went to Croydon, N. H.
Hannah m. Simeon Howard 1794.
Racbel m. Barnabas Lathrop.
Keziah m. Abiel Howard 1798.
3. David (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Polly, D. of George Howard, and had Charlotte 1797*, Job 1799, Polly 1801, Jane 1804,. Susanna 1807, David 1811 : his w. d. and he m. Susan Fish 1814, and had Charlotte and Julia.
4. Richard Bartlett, an Englishman, lived in Boston and had a s.- Richard, and a D. who m. Rev. Mr. Hinds of Middleborough.
5. Richard (s. of the above) m. Mary, D. of Gain Robinson of E. B. and had Lydia 1757, Mary 1759, Margaret 1761, Gain*, Martha, Richard, Elizabeth, Robert, Edward, Jane, William.
Lydia m. Capt. John Savage.
Mary m. Benjamin Richards 1782.
Margaret m. James Taylor.
Martha m. a McNeal.
Elizabeth m. Andrew Mushero.
Jane m. Shadrach Holly.
Richard, the father, was a soldier at Annapolis Royal with Gen. John Winslow in 1755 in seizing and dispersing the neutral French ; and all of the family except Mrs. Richards and Robert resided in Nova Scotia, and most of them were born there.
Robert is a mariner and shipmaster at N. York.
Ricbard Bartlett m. Rebecca Holmes 1763.
Edward m. Zilphah, D. of Ephraim Cole, 1772.
Solomon m. Huldah Washburn 1781.
Elizabeth m. Seth Ames 1798.
Hannah Thomas Bartlett m. John Cumner of Wayne 1813.
Sarah, D. of Andrew of Plymo. m. David P. Reynolds 1818.
Lewis Bartlett's w. d. in E. B. 1823, ae. 31.
Samuel Bass and his w. Anne settled in Roxbury a. 1630 : he .was admitted freeman 1634, removed to Braintree, now Quincy, 1640, and was the first Deacon of the Church there, and represented the town 12 years : his w. d. 1693, he d. 1694, ae 94 : they had John 1632, b. at Roxbury, Samuel, Hannah, Mary 1643, Thomas, Joseph, Sarah.
The ss. settled in Braintree.
Hannah m. Steph. Payne 1651.
Mary m. Capt. John Capen 1647.
Sarah m. first Dea. John Stone of Watertown, and then Dea. Joseph Penniman 1693, and she lived to be nearly 100 years old.
2. John (s. of the above) m. Ruth, D. of Hon. John Alden of Duxbury 1657, (m. by her father,) and had John 1659, Samuel 1660, Ruth 1662, Joseph 1665, Hannah 1667, Mary 1669, Sarah 1672 : his w. d. and he m. Anne, wid. of Saml. Sturtevant of Plymo., 1675: he d. 1716, ae. 84.
John and Joseph settled in Braintree.
Ruth probably m. a Walesby and left an orphan D. Hannah.
Hannah m. Joseph Adams, grandfather of the first President Adams.
Mary m. Christopher Webb Jr. 1686, and then Wm. Copeland 1694.
Sarah m. Ephraim Thayer 1792.
3. Dea. Samuel (s. of John 2) m. Mary, D. of Joseph Adams (father of Joseph, above) and.wid. of Saml. Webb 1696, and had Jonathan and Abigail bap'd. 1697, Mary 1698, Samuel 1700, Bethiah 1704 ; his w. d. 1706 and he m. probably Bethiah Nightingale 1796, and had a child that d. 1708 and Bathsheba bapd. 1711 : he lived at Randolph, but in his old age removed to E. B. and lived with his son Capt. Jonathan, and d. there 1751 ae. 90.
Mary m. William Bowditch 1720.
Samuel settled at Randolph and was a Deacon there.
Bathsheba m. Naphthali Thayer 1732.
4. Capt. Jonathan (s. of Dea. Samuel 3.) settled in E. B. a. 1723, and m. Susanna, D. of Capt. Nicholas Byram, Oct. 18, 1717, and had Jonathan 1720, Susanna 1722, both b. at Braintree, now Randolph, Mary 1724, Mehitabel 1728, Bethiah 1730*, Bathsheba 1733, Sarah 1736, Eunice 1737 : he d. 1750, ae 55, she 1783, ae. 89.
Susanna m. Zechariah Cary 1742.
Mary m. the Hon. Hugh Orr 1742.
Mehitabel m. Dr. Isaac Otis 1746.
Bathsheba m. Ignatius Loring Esq. of Plympton 1750.
Sarah m. Jonathan Allen 1755.
Eunice m. John Young 1752.
5. Capt. Jonathan (s. of Capt. Jonathan 4.) m. Susanna, D. of Josiah Byram, 1741, and had Bethiah 1742*, Ruth 1745*, Mary 1747*, Susanna 1749, Olive 1751, Jonathan 1753, Ruth 1755, Eunice 1758, Sarah 1761 : he d. over 80 years of age.
Susanna m. Elijah Dean of Raynham 1768, and afterwards Thomas Dean, and d. 1829.
Olive m. Joshua Barrell 1769.
Jonathan went to Conn. and had a family there.
Ruth m. a Williams of Pomfret, Conn.
Eunice m. Seth Whitman 1781, and then Peter Salmon 1785.
Sarah m. Joseph Chamberlin 1784.
William Bassett, one of the forefathers, came over in the ship Fortune 1621, and settled first in Plymouth, then in Duxbury, and finally in W. B.; was an original proprietor of the town, and d. 1667 ; was a large land holder in the colony, and left a large library : his w., Elizabeth, was probably a Tilden.
He had William, Nathaniel, Joseph, Sarah, Elizabeth, Jane and perhaps others.
William settled in Sandwich and his s. William had his grandfather's house and land in B by the will, which was nuncupative, and dated 1667 : this grandson was Marshal, and otherwise distinguished in the Colony.
Nathaniel settled in Marshfield and afterwards in 1684 appeared at Yarmouth.
Sarah m. Peregrine White.
Elizabeth m. William Hatch.
Jane m. Thomas Gilbert of T. 1639.
2. Joseph (s. of William 1.) settled in W. B. with his father and m. Martha, D. of Edmund Hobart of Hingham, 1677 : he d. 1712.
He had Joseph, William, Elnathan, Jeremiah, Lydia w. of Daniel Whittemore, Ruth w. of John Whittemore, m. 1692; both of Charlestown, and Elizabeth w. of Wm. Fenton.
Jeremiah had the homestead, near Isaac Johnson's, and sold it to Johnson 1713, and went to Norton.
3. Joseph. (s. Of Joseph 2.) and his w. Bethiah had Bethiah 1693, Mehitabel 1697, Lydia 1703 : he d.1736.
Lydia m. Saml. Phillips of Norton 1726.
Mehitabel m. a Hollaway of M.
Bethiah, Executrix, m. William Coddingion of Norton a. 1737.
4. William (s. of Joseph 2.) and Sarah his wife had William 1694, Joseph 1696, Ruth 1700, Nathan 1702 : the mother d. 1703, and the father m. Mary Bump 1703, and had Sarah 1704, Elizabeth 1706, Thankful 1710, Benjamin 1712, Seth 1715.
William m. Mary Mehuren 1719.
Ruth m. Joseph Davis and d. 1730.
5. Elnathan (s. of Joseph 2.) m. Mary Hill 1702, and d. 1750, leaving Mary, who m. Samuel Beal 1725.
6. Joseph (s. of William 4.) m. Elizabeth, D. of John Ames, 1724, (m. in Boston), and had Dorothy 1726, Joseph 1731, Sarah 1734: he d. 1741, and the mother, who undertook to settle the estate, d. in 1744.
Dorothy m. David Packard 1767.
Sarah m. Christopher Dyer 1757.
7. Nathan (s. of William 4.) m. Hannah Washburn 1733, and had John 1734, Nathan 1737, Ruth 1740, David 1743, Hannah 1745, Joseph 1747, Jonathan 1750.
Jonathan went to Killingsly, Conn.
8. Benjamin (s. of William 4.) m. Hannah Macomber 1737, and had Daniel 1740, Benjamin 1742, Joshua 1745, Hannah, Zilphah, Phebe 1753.
9. Seth (s. of William 4.) and his wife Mary had Sarah and Mary 1738, and went to N. H.
10. Joseph (s. of Joseph 6) m. Phebe Cushman 1756, and had Caleb 1757, Phebe, Nathan 1763, Abigail, Joseph 1769, Hannah 1771, David and Cushman.
His w. d. 1796, ae. 59, and he m. Sarah, wid. of John Eaton, of Greenwich, former wid. of Josiah Fobes Jr., and D. of Joseph Prior, 1798: she d. 1839, ae.100.
His will dated 1798, proved 1803.
Phebe m. Barna. Leonard 1780.
Nathan went to Genesee.
Abigail (or Abial) m. Seth Lathrop Jr. 1783.
Hannah m. Dea. James Alger 1791.
David m. Phebe Dean of R. 1796.
Cushman was a Preacher, and he and David went to Maine.
11. Joseph Esq. (s. of Nathan 7.) m. Hannah, D. of Josiah Lathrop 1776, and had William, Nathan, Jonathan, Josiah, Paschal, Joseph, George, Sarah and Hannah.
Nathan m. a Daniels or a Snow.
Jonathan m. Sarah, D. of David Leonard, 1813, and afterwards a D. of John Fobes.
Josiah m. Lucretia, D. of Bradford Mitchell, 1810.
Paschal m. Mary, D. of Winslow Hooper, 1811, and had Mary Winslow 1812, and Sarah Church 1814.
Joseph m. Hannah Williams 1816.
George m. Hannah, D. of Maj. Theodore Mitchell, 1819.
Sarah m. Hampden Keith 1799.
Hannah m. Ezra Fobes Jr. 1810.
12. Caleb (s. of Joseph 10.) m. Bethiah, D. of Benjamin Keith, 1782, then called of New Gloucester, and had Cyrus, Caleb Keith, Lewis*, Abigail, Bethiah, Eunice, and Sophronia : he removed to M.
Cyrus m. Cynthia Randall 1808, and Cyrus m. Urania Billings 1814.
Caleb m. Mary Holmes 1811.
Abigall m. Shepard Dunbar 1806.
Bethiah m. a Kennedy.
13. Joseph (s. of Joseph 10.) m. Ruth, D. of James Leach, 1792, and had Charles 1792, Mary 1795, Cushman 1799, Davis 1802*, Eliza Maria 1805, Emeline 1808, Jane 1810, Phebe Leonard 1813.
Charles m. Laura, D. of Jason Fobes 1816.
Mary m. Hartwell Keith 1816,
Cushman m. a Newman and lives in Boston.
Jane m. a Daniels.
14. William (s. of Joseph Esq. 11.) m. Abiah Williams 1800, and had William Church 1803, Williams 1806, Hannah 1809, Abial 1811, Henriette 1813, Harriet 1815, Josiah 1818, Cornenia Abier 1820. Wid. Abigail Bassett m. Benjamin Leach 1763.
Lydia Bassett of Norton m. Dea. David Edson 1786.
Sally Bassett m. Abijah Thayer Jr. 1802.
Joshua Bates (from Hanover) m. Bethiah, D. of Joseph Ames, 1796, and settled in S. B., and had Joshua C. 1797, Zephaniah 1803, George W. 1805, Samuel W. 1808, Bethiah W. 1813 : he d. 1839, ae. 72.
Saml. W. m. Helen, D. of Z. Crooker.
2. Christopher Bates lived in E. B. and had Christopher, Moses, Nahum, Daniel and others.
3. Moses (s. of Christopher 2.) m. Deborah Dyer 1808, and had Kitty Dyer 1809, Christopher 1813*, Moses 1815, Deborah 1819.
Obadiah Bates and his w. Ruth.
Wm. R. Bates of Cummington m. Polly, D. of Dea. Isaac Lazell, 1803.
James of W. m. Lucy, D. of Daniel Orcutt, 1805.
Daniel m. Jane Reed 1811.
Jacob m. Lucy Dyer of A. 1816.
Cotton of W. m. Rhoda, D. of Josiah Johnson, 1817.
Rufus of Hanover m. Huldah, D. of Eleazar Keith, 1821.
Christopher Jr. m. a Howland.
John Battles (from Plymouth) settled in Stoughton Corner within the North Parish of Bridgewater, and m. Hannah, D. of Edward Curtis, and had John*, Jonathan, Samuel, Asa, Uriah, Edward, Curtis, Hannah, Rebecca, and Susanna.
Hannah m. a Jordan.
Rebecca m. a Billings.
Susanna m. a Lord.
Jonathan m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Porter, and settled in Stoughton.
Edward and Curtis went to Vt.
Susanna Battles m. Benjamin Washburn 1742.
2. Samuel (s. of John 1.) settled in N. B. and m. Dorothy, D. of Christopher Dyer, 1786, and had Sybil 1786, Lucinda 1788, Daniel Dyer 1790*, David 179.2, Dorothy 1796, Saml. 1798 , Jason Dyer 1800, Nahum 1802, Mary Dyer 1806*, Anson 1810, Mary Dyer 1814.
Sybil m. Ruel Fobes 1806.
Lucinda m. Luke Packard 1806.
David m. Jerusha Adams 1816.
Dorothy m. Ansel Perkins 1819.
Jason D. removed to Boston.
3. Asa (s. of John 1.) settled also in N. B. and m. Mary, D. of John Pratt, and had Polly 1788, Ara 1790, John 1792, Betsy 1794, William 1796, Susanna 1798, Amelia 1800, Isabella, and Hannah.
Polly m. a Cleaveland.
Ara m. Polly, D. of Samuel Cheesman.
Jno. m. Milicent Porter 1816.
Betsy m.a Branch.
Susanna m. a Reynolds.
Isabella m. a Miller.
Susanna Battles m. Nathl. Leeds 1806.
BEAL OR BEALS.
Samuel Beal (probably from Pembroke) settled in E. B., where Eleazer Keith lived, and m. Mary, only child of Elnathan Bassett, 1725, and had Samuel 1726, Nathan 1727, Daniel 1729, Jonathan 1730, Joseph* and Benjamin 1733, Seth 1736*, Mary 1742, Joseph 1743*: the father d. 1750.
2: Samuel (s. of the above) m. Elizabeth Blackman 1745, and had David 1746*, Samuel 1748, after his father's death, and his mother, the wid., m. Theophilus Byram 1749.
3. Nathan (s. of Saml. I.) and his w. Bathsheba had Mary 1750, Nathan 1752, Nehemiah 1755, John 1759.
Mary m. Nehemiah Shaw 1775.
4. Daniel (s. of Saml. I.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Josiah Byram, 1750, and had Samuel 1750, Daniel 1753, Joshua 1755, Mehitabel 1758.
Joshua m. Susanna, D. of Dea. David Edson, 1768.
5. Jonathan (s. of Saml. 1.) m. Abigail Harlow 1751, and had Joseph 1752, Azariah 1753, Abigail 1755, Jonathan 1758, Hannah 1760*, Hannah 1762, Molly 1770 : his w. d. 1779, ae. 50, and he m. Abigail, wid. of John Egerton and D. of James Snow, 1780 : he d. 1813, ae. 83; she 1810, ae. 83.
Joseph went to Abington.
Abigail m. Josiah Hill 1779.
Hannah m..Noah Hill 1780.
Molly m. Bela Reed 1793.
6. Benjamin (s. of Saml. 1.) and his w. Sarah had Isaac 1753, Levi 1755.
7. Azariah (s. Saml I.) m. Bathsheba Bisbee 1776, and had Danl. 1779, Ezra 1781.
Most of the above families removed to Cummington and Plainfield.
8. Jeremiah Beal (s. of Isaac of Weymouth) settled in N. B. 1760, and m. Mary, D. of Dependence French, 1768, and had Sarah 1768, Hannah 1771, Rachel 1774, Olive 1778, Mary 1782, Jeremiah 1786.
Sarah m. Asa Ford 1793.
Hannah m. Oliver Snell 1792.
Rachel m. Capt. Asa Jones 1792.
Olive m. Joseph Brett 1797.
Mary m. Elijah Smith 1803.
Capt. Jeremiah m. Sibil, D. of Timothy Ames, 1807, and had Rachel 1808, Seba Ames 1812.
9. Japhet Beal lived in N. B., m. Patience Keith 1770, and had Susanna 1771, Isaac 1774, Oliver 1776, Japhet 1781, Patience 1784.
Susanna m. Elijah Packard 1759.
Isaac m. Elizbeth Stevens 1797 and went to Me.
Japhet, the father, m. wid. Content Packard probably for a 2d w. 1803 and went to Minot.
Japhet, the son, m. Mehitabel, D. of Gideon Lincoln, 1803, and went to Augusta.
10. Jonathan Beal m. Polly, D. of Moses Cary, 1807, and had Bethiah Lewis 1808, Mary Cary 1810, Elizabeth 1813, Jonathan 1817.
Andrew Beal had a D. Lydia bapd. in E. B. 1782 : he had lived in Newton and had two ch. b. there.
Hannah m. Ezekiel Reed 1742.
Saml. from Hanson, and his w. Olive, had a D. Olive 1797.
Seth m. Thirza Hatch 1799.
Elijah of Hingham m. Betsy, D. of Wm. Pincin, 1804.
Levi of Hingham m. Ruth Whiting 1810.
Betsy of H. m. Allen Marshall Porter 1816.
Martin of Hingham m. Mehitabel Pinch], 1816.
Lazarus of Weymouth m. Sarah, wid. of Daniel Alden, and D. of Dea. Jona. Cary, 1809.
Asaph had Phebe Howard 1818.
All of the name of Beal in this vicinity descended no doubt from John Beal, who with his w.and 5 ss. and 3 Ds. and 2 servants, came from Hingham in Eng. and settled here in Hingham 1638. They came in the ship Diligent of Ipswich, John Martin, master, in which were 133 passengers.
The 5 ss. were probably John, Jeremiah, Caleb, Nathaniel and Joshua.
John's children were Rebecca 1641, Jacob 1642, Martha 1646, Nathaniel 1648, John 1650, Mary 1657, who first m. a Stowell and then Nathaniel Hobart : his wife died 1658 and he m. wid. Jacobs 1659.
John Beal was Rep. from Hingham 1649.
Lt. Jeremiah m. Sarah Ripley 1654 and d. 1716, ae. 86: he had Jeremiah 1655, Elizabeth 1659*, Mary 1661*, Lazarus 1661, Mary 1662, Sarah 1662, Phebe 1664.
Caleb died at Hingham 1716, ae. 80, born in England.
Nathaniel had John who (was burnt and) d. 1655, Sarah and John 1659.
Joshua had a D. 1661, and another, Elizabeth 1663*.
Jacob and Joshua d. 1716.
Austin Bearce was admitted freeman 1652, and on the grand jury 1653 : he had Mary 1640, Priscilla 1643, Sarah 1646, Abigail 1647, Hannah 1649, Joseph 1651, Hester 1653, Lydia 1655, Rebeckah 1657, James 1660 ; all b. at Barnstable.
Austin Bearce was at Halifax, probably a descendant of the above, and went to Cornwall.
Andrew Bearce of Halifax m. Margaret Dawes of E. B. l 736.
Consider Bearce of Halifax m. Elizabeth Perkins of E. B. 176I
Margaret, D. of Andrew above, m. Arthur Latham of E. B.
Experience Bearce m. Zadock Hayward 1768.
Ford, Jacob, Isaiah, Job and Thomas, were brothers.
Ford was a schoolmaster and d. young in S. B. of small pox 1778.
Jacob settled in Hanson, and Dea. Jacob is his son.
Isaiah and Thomas d. young.
There were also two Ds. Lydia and Hannah.
2. Job Bearce (above) m. Sarah, D. of Lt. James Keith, 1780, and settled in E. B., and had Dexter 1781, Sally 1784, Hannah 1789*, Lydia 1791, Ford 1794, Charles 1796*, Susanna Keith 1798 : he d. 1828, ae. 79 ; she 1833, ae. 84.
Dexter moved to New Gloucester and m. a Chandler.
Sally m. Martin Keith 1809, and afterwards Edward Hayward of W. B.
Lydia m. Amory Leach 1817, and went to Jay, Me.
Susanna K. m. Silvanus Rogers and d. 1828.
Ford m. Harriet Shaw of M. 1820, and d. 1838.
Mayhew Belcher (from Boston) lived in E. B. and d. unmarried 1778 : his sister Ann m. John Keith 1774.
Deborah Belcher m. Seth Dunbar 1761.
Rebecca m. Jesse Edson 1764.
Hannah m. Capt. Moses Curtis 1769.
Amie m. Wm. Tribou 1784.
John Benson (from Weymouth perhaps and s. of John of Hull) settled in S. B., m. Elizabeth, D. probably of Jonathan Washburn, 1710, and had Susanna, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Mary, Hannah and Jonathan : he d. 1770, his will dated the same year, in which it appears Benjamin, Elizabeth, Mary and Hannah were then dead.
Susanna m. Jonathan Cushman 1736.
Hannah m. James Dunbar Jr. 1746 and d. a. 1757.
2. Benjamin (s. of John 1.) m. Keziah, D. of Amos Snell 1745, and had Benjamin, an only child, who m. Abigail, D. probably of Nathan Pratt 1770.
Benjamin the father d. 1749, and his w. Keziah 1750 : his will 1748, hers 1749 : the w. of Benjamin Jr. d. 1771.
3. Jonathan (s. of John 1.) m. Martha, D. of Amos Snell, 1740, and had John 1742, Eunice 1744, Mary 1745, Martha 1749, Lois 1751, Jonathan 1752, Ebenezer 1755, David 1756, Jonas 1759: he d. 1788 of small pox ; she 1801, ae. 84 : his will dated 1788, hers 1791.
Eunice m. John Harden 1766.
Mary m. Benjamin Hayward Jr. 1767.
Martha m. Elisha Waterman of Halifax 1774.
Lois m. Cornelius Washburn Jr.
4. Jonathan (s. of Jonathan 3.) m. Lydia, D. probably of Samuel Harden, 1774, and had John, Betsy, Cyrus, Jonathan and Abigail, and perhaps others : he d. 1802, ae. 50.
John d. 1805, ae. 27.
Cyrus m. Lydia, D. of Capt. Simeon Wood, 1806.
Jonathan m. Jane, D. of Jonah Benson, 182O.
Abigail m. Samuel Jones 1811.
5. Ebenezer (s. of Jonathan 3.) m. Silence, D. of Nehemiah Packard and wid. of Seth Leonard, 1777, and had a D. Olive, who m. Martin Conant 1797, and two ss., Asa and Hosea ; and all went to Jay in Me.
6. David (s. of Jonathan 3.) m. Charity, D. of Seth Hayward, 1780, and had Tabitha 1781, Eunice 1782, Charity 1784, Sarah 1786, David 1788, Seth 1790, Bethiah 1793, Keziah 1796, Polly 1798.
Tabitha m. Wm. Fuller 1801.
Eunice m. Abner Keith 1803.
Charity m. Ebenezer Cushman of Kingston 1805.
Sarah m. James Pool Jr. a. 1808.
Bethiah m. Seth Thompson 1815.
Keziah m. John Atwood Jackson 1815.
Polly m. Ebenezer Chamberlin 1820.
7. Jonah (s. of Jonathan 3.) m. Martha Thompson of Halifax 1782, and had Jonah, Waitstill, Patty, Nahum, Lucia and Jane.
Jonah m. Chloe Hathaway 1819.
Waitstill m. Benjamin Holmes 1807.
Patty m. Philander Wood 1813.
Nahum m. Chloe Dunbar 1819.
Lucia m. a Drake.
Jane m. Jona. Benson 1820.
John Benson m. Sarah Williams 1765.
Keziah m. Ebenezer Cushman Jr. of Kingston 1805.
Hannah m. Jabez Waterman of H. 1785.
Nehemiah Bessee, with his wife Sarah, came probably from Wareham, and settled in S. B.: had Abisha 1760, Lucy 1762, Jonah 1764, John 1766, Abraham 1768, Adam 1770, Sarah 1772, Polly 1774 : they had also a D. Charity, and two ss., Nehemiah and Anthony, who went to Woodstock.
Charity m. Ebenezer Pratt 1780.
Abisha m. Sally, D. of Jona. Conant, 1782.
Lucy m. David Conant 1782.
Jonah m. Eunice, D. of Daniel Washburn, 1787, and went to Me.
Adam m. Joanna, D. of Dea. Seth Pratt, 1791, and d. 1793, and she m. Isaac Keith 1797.
Mary Bessee m. Moses Snell 1736.
Mary Bessee m. Simeon Hayward 1757.
Thankful Bessee of Wareham m. Nathan Leonard 1744.
Lydia m. Saml. Leonard 1750.
Joanna, D. of Adam, m. Martin Leonard 1818.
2. Reuben Bessee, with his wife, came from Me. with their children, viz. William, Mary, Keziah and Thomas. He was b. in Wareham.
Keziah m. Luther French 1831. They lived awhile in E. B. and moved back to Me.
These families were probably descended from Anthony Bessee, who first settled in Lynn and removed to Sandwich 1637.
BICKNELL.—..John Bicknell, and his w. Rebecca, came probably from Abington, and had John 1772, Noah 1773, Simeon 1775.
Jacob Bicknell Jr. of Abington m. Mehitabel, D. of Micah White 1803.
John Bicknell m. Susanna, widow of Saml. Sturtevant and D. of Capt. Josiah Packard.
Moses Bisbee (s. of John of Marshfield) and his w. Mary settled in E. B. and had Abigail* Miriam 1724, Charles 1726, Joanna 1729, Mary 1733*, Tabitha 1735.
Joanna m. John Churchill 1756.
Tabitha never m.
2. Charles (s. of Moses above) m. Bulah, D. of Rowse Howland, and had Elisha 1757, Charles 1758, Mary 1760, Moses, John, Solomon, Calvin, Rowse.
This family removed to Pembroke.
3. Samuel Bisbee, from Pembroke, (s. probably of Elisha Bisbee Esq.) settled in B. a. 1750, and m. Martha, D. of Joseph Snell, 1751, and had Sarah 1751, Martha 1753, Hannah 1755, Samuel 1757, Benjamin 1759.—Elisha m. Martha, D. of Nathan Keith, 1779, and afterwards Jemima Allen, and went to Me.
Ebenezer had two wives : his first, Bathsheba Whitmarsh, m. 1745 and d. 1777, ae. 50, by whom he had a D. Jennet 1771*: his 2d w. was Mehitabel, D. of Ebenezer Shaw, m. 1778. He and Luther went to Cummington.
.Hannah m. Zechariah Shaw 1777.
Bathsheba Bisbee m. Azariah Beal 1776.
4. John Bisbee m. widow Rebecca, widow of Isaac Alden, 1771, and D. of Josiah Keith of E., and had John 1774, Rebecca 1777 : the mother d. 1777, ae. 41, and he m. Huldah, D. of Ebenezer Shaw, 1779, and had Ira 1780, Ebenezer 1782, Huldah 1784, Patty 1788 : he had a 3d w. Mary, D. of John Edson, by whom he had Ziba, Chandler and others : he d. 1817 ; she 1833, ae. 61.
John went to Me.
Huldah m. William Barren Jr. 1801.
Ira m. Rebecca, D. of Samuel Dyke, 1805, and had Algernon Sidney 1806.
Ziba m. Sirena, D. of Gideon Lincoln, 1814.
Molly m. Emery Brown 1817.
Chandler Bisbee m. Mary Byram Whitmarsh 1818.
Olive m. Cyrus Warren 1814.
Lavinia Bisbee of St. m. Alfred Howard 1794.
Elizabeth of P. m. John Tomson 1762.
These families all descended probably from Thomas Bisbee, who was at Scituate 1634, and Deacon of the Church at its first institution there.
Eli Blanchard (from Weymouth) m. Deborah, D. of John Harden, and settled in E. B., and had Eli 1798, Noah 1800, Lydia 1802, Mehitabel 1806, Evelina 1808, Elias Paine 1810, George W. 1813, Mary Ann 1815, Almira 1817, Semantha 1819, and Daniel Thomas 1821.
Eli m. Eliza Wood 1817.
Noah m. Lydia Binney of Boston, where he lives.
Lydia m. a Drake of Quincy.
Mehitabel m. a Chubbuck of Quincy.
Evelina m. Luther Churchill.
Elias P. m. Julia Bryant, and lives in Boston.
George W. m. Nancy, D. of Thomas White.
Mary Ann m. Daniel Gloyd.
Almira m. Orrin Wilkes.
Semantha m. a Gurney.
Silvanus Blossom m. Charity, D. of Amos Snell 1738, and settled in South Bridgewater, and had a family : one s. Silvanus b. 1746, m. Martha, D. of Eleazar Alden, 1774, and had Alden, Leonard, Libeus, and others perhaps.
Barnabas Blossom m. Sarah Pratt 1778.
Ebenezer Blossom and his wife Hannah sold land to Elijah Washburn of Hardwick 1777.
Levi Blossom m. Abigail, D. of Cornelius Washburn, 1797.
Abigail Blossom d. 1800, ae. 22.
Levi Blossom m Sally, D. of Calvin Keith, 1501.
Charity Blossom m. James Howard of M. 1501.
Polly Blossom of Eaton, N. H., m. Rufus Keith 1804.
Libeus Blossom of E. m. Rebecca, D. of Samuel Leonard, 1804.
Alden Blossom went to Turner, Me., where he was a General and High Sheriff.
Thomas Blossom was one of the forefathers, and the first Deacon at Plymo., and d. a. 1633.
John Bolton (said to have come from Stonington Conn.) and his w. Sarah settled early in B.; was probably a descendant from Nicholas Bolton of Dorchester, a mem. of the Ch. there 1644: he had John a. 1686, Samuel 1688, Sarah 1690, Elizabeth 1692, Nicholas 1695, Mary 1697, Elisha 1700, Joseph 1704, Nathaniel 1706, Abigail 1709.
Samuel m. Rebecca Simmons 1742.
Sarah m. Wm. Leonard.
Elizabeth m. Michael May.
Mary d. single 1730.
Elisha d. 1777, ae. 77 : his w. Mary : they had Seth 1739, Jabez, Elisha, and Meshech. Seth m. Anne Wade 1761.
Joseph m. Deliverance Washburn 1740, and had Joseph and Phillip.
Nathaniel m. Deborah, wid. of John Ripley and D. of Israel Washburn, 1740 : she d. 1759, he. 1770 : he bad a s. Nathaniel, perhaps, who m. Jane, D. of Thomas Thompson, 1777.
Abigail m. Samuel Ripley 1736.
2. John (s. of John 1.) m. Ruth Hooper 1710, and had Susanna 1711, Ruth, Elizabeth, Hannah 1722, Martha 1725 : his will 1755 : he was an Ensign, and left a large estate, and gave a tankard to S. B. Church.
Susanna m. Jabez Cowing 1741.
Ruth m..Ephraim Leach 1734.
Elizabeth m. Joseph Thompson 1733.
Martha m. Joab Willis 1745.
3. John Jr. (whose s. uncertain) m. Elizabeth Hayward 1751, and had Mary 1752, Anne 1754, John 1756, Betty 17 601 Elizabeth Bolton d. 1801, ae. 76.
Mary m. Joseph Bolton 1773.
Ann m. Jeremiah Pratt 1777.
John m. Betsy Dana of Boston.
4. Joseph (s. of Joseph) m. Mary, D. of John Bolton, 1773, and had Philip 1774, Joseph 1776, John 1778, Deliverance 1751, Barzillai 1733, Zimri 1736, Betty 1733, Mary and Silence.
5. John (of Raynham) m. Mary, D. of Thomas Pratt, 1787, and had Micah 1788 at T., Margery 1791, Alfred 1793, Mary Ann 1795, Anne Wade 1799, George W. 1801, Thomas J. 1505 at Charlestown.
Philip Bolton m. Bethiah Hayward 1786.
Rhoda m. Abijah Dyer 1764.
Jabez m. Bethiah, D. of Christopher Ripley, 1765.
Daniel m. Alice Leach 1776.
Jonathan m.. Hannah Snow 1794.
David m. Zilpha Snow 1794.
William Bonney (from Pembroke) m. Phebe, D. of Isaac Allen, 1766, and lived in E. B., and had Allen*, William, Joanna and Gladden.
William m. Molly, D. of Jesse Dunbar, 1796, and had Allen 1796*, Vesta 1798*, Harriet 1802, Thos. Jefferson 1803, Joanna 1805, Lucius 1805, Eliza 1811.
Joanna senr. m. Dea. Barzillai Allen 1796.
Gladden m. Mercy Randall 1806, and had Mary Beal 1806, Gladden 1808, Hannah Kingsbury 1812, Lucy Randall 1815.
Cynthia Silvester Bonney m. Ebenezer Cutler 1797.
Noah of Hanson m. Agnes Keith 1819.
Harriet m. Harmon Washburn 1821.
John Bowditch of Braintree, and his wife Temperance, had William, John and Mary : his will ,1718.
Mary m. Thomas White.
William m. Mary, D. of Dea. Samuel Bass, 1820, and had Mary, Elizabeth, Abigail, Susanna, Jonathan, Samuel, Bethiah and Bathsheba : he d. a.1748.
Jonathan and Susanna were put under guardianship of their uncle Capt. Jona. Bass of E. B., and most of the children lived in E. B. and m. there.
Mary m. Joseph Byram 1745.
Elizabeth m. Isaac Snow 1749.
Abigail m. David Pratt Jr. 1753.
Samuel m. Rebecca, D. of Josiah Byram, 1755, and had Bethiah 1757, Mary 1760.
Bethiah m. Daniel Bass of Boston.
Bathsheba m. Ephraim Groves 1762.
Jonathan Bozworth was at Hingham before 1640 his children were Rebeckah 1641, Bethiah 1644, Benjamin*, Mehitabel and Mary 1647, Nathaniel and Jeremiah 1649, Hannah and Deliverance 1650, Bellamy 1654, Edward 1659, Bridget 1660, Benjamin 1668.
2. Dea. Jonathan Bozworth of Halifax : (grandson perhaps of the above): his estate settled and divided 1751: his wid. Ruth : his children were Jonathan of Bridgewater, Alice, wife of Eleazar Waterman ; Zadock, Noah, Ichabod and Jabez.
The wid. afterwards m. a Packard and d. 1786.
Aaron Bozworth m. Sarah, D. of Nathan Ames.
3. Jonathan (son of Dea. Jonathan of Halifax) settled in W. B. About 1750, and m. Mary Pain 1752, and had a D. 1753*, Mary 1754*: (the mother d. 1754) and he m. Abigail, wid. of Israel Alger Jr., D. of Samuel Lathrop, 1756 ; and had Jonathan 1757, Molly 1759, Sarah 1761, Chloe 1764, Israel 1767 *.
The father d. 1767, and the wid. m. Joseph Ames l768.
Jonathan m. Abigail Williams 1780.
Sarah m. Barnabas Lathrop 1777, and d. 1813.
Chloe m. Daniel Tolman 1784.
Wm. Bozworth of H. m. Lucy Hayward 1807.
Susan m. Ephraim Sampson 1821.
James Bradley m. Catharine Moore 1759 : he came from Abington, and had a D. Mille born here 1760.
William and Joanna Bradley had a son John b. here 1767.
George Bradley m. Susanna Pierce 1753.
Mary Bradley of A. m. Ebenezer Allen 1757.
James and George were both b. in Dorchester, and were both in the French war in 1755 with Gen. Winslow, taking and dispersing the neutral French.
William Brett (probably from Kent in Eng:) was at Duxbury 1645, and one of the original proprietors and settlers in W. B.: an Elder of the Church ; a leading man both in the Church and in the Town : was often a Representative to the Old Colony Court ; often preached when Mr. Keith was sick, or otherwise prevented. He d. 1681: his w. Margaret : his children were William, Elihu, Nathaniel, Lydia, Alice and Hannah.
Alice m. Joseph Hayward.
Hannah m. Francis Cary.
2. William (s. of William 1.) was a respectable man and a Deacon : he m. Elizabeth, D. of John Cary : he had one D. Bethiah, an only child, who m. Thomas Hayward 1706 : he lived within the limits of E. B.: he d. a. 1713, the date of his will.
3. Elihu Esq. (s. of William 1.) was a Magistrate and a Justice of the Court of Common Pleas and Sessions, appointed 1700 : he d. suddenly in his chair 1712 : his w. named Ann : his children were Mary, w. of John Willis ; and Margaret, w. of Samuel Willis, m. 1706 ; and Elihu.
4. Nathaniel (s. of William 1.) was a Deacon and Town Clerk : he m. Sarah, D. of John Hayward, 1683 : she d. 1737 ; he 1740 : and had Alice 1686*, Seth 1688, Mehitabel 1692, Sarah 1695, Hannah 1699, William 1702, Nathaniel 1704.
Mehitabel m. Samuel Edson 1721.
Hannah m. Joseph Gannett 1732.
5. Elihu (s. of Elihu 3.) m. Susanna, wid. of John Hayward Jr. and D. of Samuel Edson, and had John 1707, Anne 1710, Bethiah 1714 : his will 1744 he d. 1745.
Anne m. Joseph Cary 1732.
Bethiah m. Joseph Drake.
He had also another D. Elizabeth, who m. a Drake and left 2 ch., Freelove and Ann Drake.
6. Seth (s. of Nathaniel 4.) m. Sarah, D. of Isaac Alden, 1712, and had Samuel 1714, Silas 1716, Sarah 1718, Simeon 1720, Seth 1722, after the death of his father, who died of the small pox.
The wid. then m. Dea. Recompence Cary 1727.
Sarah m. Capt. Matthew Allen 1735.
Silas entered college, but left it and became a Preacher, and was settled in Berkley.
7. William (s. of Nathaniel 4.) m. Bethiah, D. of Samuel Kinsley,1732, and had Ephraim 1733, Mary 1734, Silence 1738, Daniel 1740. It is said this family removed to Easton.
8. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 4.) was also a Deacon and Town Clerk : his w. Rebeckah : they had Hannah 1733, Deborah 1736, Uriah 1740 : she d. 1771, and he m. the wid. Mary Dyer of Plymouth 1774, and d. 1779, ae. 74.
Deborah m. Thomas Ames 3d 1758.
Hannah m. Ephraim Howard Jr. 1753.
9. John, (s. of Elihu 5.) and his w. Freelove, had Susanna 1736 : his w. d. and he m. a 2d w., Alice Cady of Pomfret 1774, and had Freelove 1746, John 1748*, Alice 1749*, Silence 1752, Hannah 1754, Alice and Amity 1756, John 1759.
Susannah m. Nathl. Tilden 1755.
Silence m. Thomas Buck 1774.
Amity m. William Pratt of E. 1797.
John had a s. Daniel and both removed from town.
10. Samuel (s. of Seth 6.) m. Hannah, D. of David Packard, 1737, and settled in N. B., and had Isaac, Samuel, William, Hannah, Sarah, Mehitabel, Molly, Eunice : he d. 1807, ae. 92.
Hannah m. Mark Ford 1764.
Sarah m. Benja. Ford 1773.
Mehitabel m. Jonas Packard 1777.
Molly and Eunice d. single.
11. Simeon (s. of Seth 6.) m. Mehitabel, D. of David Packard, 1748, and settled in N. B., and had Jennet 1749, Rufus 1751, Simeon 1753, Zibia 1755, Mehitabel 1757, Ruby 1759, Amzi 1762, Daniel 1764, Luther 1766, Calvin 1768: he d. 1792, ae. 72.
Jennet m. Nathaniel Southworth 1777, and afterwards Ephraim Groves 1789.
\ Zibia m. John Noyes 1776.
Mehitabel m. Maj. Daniel Cary 1778.
Ruby m. Ephraim Field.
Rufus m. Susanna, D. of Zechariah Cary, 1775, and had Jona. 1776, Ezra 1779, Cynthia 1781.
Amzi m. Phebe, D. of Abia Packard, 1788, and had Sophia 1789, Charlotte 1791, Martin 1794, Ira 1800.
Sophia m. Apollos Packard 1811.
Luther m. Sally Dwelly 1794.
Calvin m. Esther Hollis 178S.
Rufus, Amzi, Daniel and Luther removed to Me.
12. Seth (s. of Seth 6.) m. Patience Curtis 1744, and had Seth 1746, Silvia, Sybil, Celia, Abigail 1760.
Silvia m. Isaac Allen 1776.
Celia m. a Scott of Winchester, N. H., and was grandmother of Elijah Scott late of E. B.
13. Uriah (s. of Nathaniel 8.) M. Charity, D. of Jona. Kingman, 1760 and had Daniel 1761, Nathaniel 1764*, Macey 1768 : the .father d. 1768, and Macey was then called Uriah, to bear up his father's name : the wid. m. David Keith 1772.
14. Isaac (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Priscilla Jackson, and had Isaac 1768, Joseph 1770, Ephraim 1772*, Eliphalet, Zibeon, Poily.
Isaac went to Me.
Polly m. Capt. Ichabod Reynolds 1796.
15. Samuel (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Molly, D. of Capt. Josiah Packard, 1778, and had Josiah, Samuel, Mehitabel, Hannah, Sally.
Josiah m. Eunice, D. of Jonas Packard, 1812.
Mehitabel m. Alpheus French of St. 1800.
16. William (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Molly, D. of Ezra Allen, of E. B. 1782, and had Susanna 1784, Zenas 1785, William 1787, Cyrus 1789, Sally 1792, Polly 1794, and Phebe.
The mother d. and he then m. Betty Phillips 1801, and had Asa, Polly, Betsy, and Almira.
Zenas m. Sibil, D. of Wm. French, 18I3.
William and Cyrus live in Boston.
Susanna m. Saml. Shepard of St. ,1806.
Phebe m. Jabez Kingman 1818.
17. Simeon (s. of Simeon 11.) m. Susanna, D. of Luke Perkins, 1777, and had Alpheus, Parmenas, and a D'.
Alpheus m. Betsy Holmes of Halifax 1807, and Betsy Hall of Raynham 1815. Parmenas m. Avis, D. of Zenas French of Braintree, and had Simeon 1805, Elizabeth F. 1807, Susanna Relief 1809, Lucinda 1813*.
Simeon m. Lodency Wallis and had Erastus W. 1829, and Betsy Jane 1832.
Elizabeth F. m. Philander Holmes a. 1827.
Susanna R. m. Erastus Wales.
18. Seth (s. of Seth 12.) m. Susanna, D. of James Latham, 1769, and had Cynthia 1770, Ephraim 1773, and removed to Winchester.
19. Daniel (s. of Uriah 13.) m. Huldah, D. of Dea. Elijah Snell, 1784, and had Daniel Searl 1785, Charles 1788, and Susanna.
Daniel S. m. Sarah, D. of Silvanus Hayward, 1807, and lives in New Bedford.
Charles m. a D. of Jirch Swift.
20. Uriah (s. of Uriah 13.) m. Nabby, D. of Nathan Kingman, 1790, and lived in E. B., and had Uriah, Nabby, Charity : his w. d. and he m. Anna, D. of Benjamin Robinson, 1799, and had Diana, Algernon Sidney, Royal and Sarah.
Uriah m. an Allen in Dover where he settled.
Nabby m. Albert Edson 1817.
Charity m. Nathan Soule 1815.
Diana m. Samuel Perry of Hanover 1820.
A. Sidney m. Huldah, D. of Turner Phillips.
Uriah, the father, d. 1839, ae. 71.
21. Joseph (s. of Isaac 14.) m. Olive, D. of Jeremiah Beal, 1797 ; had Ephraim 1798, Polly 1800, Charles 1803, Jeremiah 1805, Sarah 1807, Joel 1809, David 1816.
Zibeon (s. of Isaac 14.) m. Lavinia, D. of Capt. Zebedee Snell, 1804, and had Patty 1805, Abigail 1806, Zibeon 1808, Sanford 1810, Mary 1812, Harriet Newell 1814, Lucy 1816.
There was a John Brett of Boston who m. Ann Barnsdale 1710 : he was master of a ship in the London trade, and d. at Kingston, Jamaica, leaving a wid. and had Hannah 1711, John 1713, James and William, and one other D.
John d. at Newburyport Dec. 12, 1797, ae. 84 : his son John was living there 1829, ae. 73 ; and in a letter of that year says, " his grandfather John came from the County of Kent, in England, and he has heard his father (John Jr.) say that the Bretts in Bridgewater were his relations : he d. Sept. 13, 1839, ae. 83, called a revolutionary patriot.
James and Abigail Brett of Boston had Ann 1756, Abigail 1760, Elizabeth 1765, James 1767.
Ebenezer Brett, ae. 71, d. at Chesterfield 1833.
Phebe m. Abel Dunbar 1805.
Polly Brett m. David Bartlett 1796.
There was a Thomas Brett, schoolmaster, d. in Boston 1767, his wid. Ann settled his estate.
John Brett m. Martha Mortell 1796.-(Boston Records.)
Bartholomew Brown Esq. (s. of John Brown of Sterling) was b. at Danvers and gra. H. U. 1799, and m. Betsy, D. of Genl. Silvanus Lazell, 1801, and settled first in Sterling, then in E. B. as an attorney, and had James Tilden*; Lucy Ann, w. of Dr. Adolphus K. Borden ; George Henry, who m. Emily Porter of Sterling ; and Harriet Mitchell.
2. Capt. Woodbridge Brown (s. of Rev. Samuel and Dorothy Brown of Abington : she was a Woodbridge) and his wife Anna had Samuel 1737, John 1739, Josiah 1740, Joseph 1745, Dorothy 1748, and Mary, and perhaps others.
Dorothy only b. in E. B.: she m. Eleazer Bates and d. 1839, ae. 91.
Joseph d. in E. B. 1825, ae. 8O.
Mary m. Dea. Eleazer Whitman.
3. John (s. of Capt. Woodbridge 2.) m. Lydia Hearsey, and lived in E. B. where his father lived awhile, and had Isaac, John, David, Polly and Anna*, and perhaps others.
Isaac, and his w. Elizabeth, had Isaac 790, Betsy 1792, Emery 1795, and Alvan 1799.
John m. a Jenkins and d. 1816, ae. 37, and had Alfred, Mehitabel, w. of Ward Richards ; and Lydia, w. of Philip Pratt.
David m. 2 Ds. of Joseph Ramsdell, first Nabby 1812, and then Lydia 1818, and has a family.
Polly m. Christopher Bates.
Isaac m. Eunice Thayer 1813.
Betsy m. Daniel Barker of Hanson.
Emery m. Molly, D. of John Bisbee, 1817.
Alvan m. Betsy Elms of Hanson 1821, and is d.
4. Knight Brown (from Scituate or Cobasset) and his w. Priscilla settled in E. B.: he d. here 1832, ae. 82 : and had Andrew 1780, Sarah 1782, David 1785, Lewis 1788, Lydia 1790, Charles, Priscilla, and others perhaps.
Andrew remained in Scituate.
Sarah m. Oliver Leach 1803.
David died a bachelor, ae. 46.
Lewis m. Betsy Harden 1806.
Lydia m. John Thayer 1811.
Charles m. Asenath, D. of Isaac Chamberlin 1719.
Priscilla m. Henry Thornbury Smith 1792.
Elizabeth Brown m. Jonathan Holloway 1746.
Daniel Brown m. Mehitable Porter 1797.
Samuel Brown's w. d. in E. B. 178O ae. 20.
Susanna Brown m. John Winnett 18OO.
Charles Brown m. Mehitabel French 1809, and had Polly and Charles.
Polly m. Jacob Harden.
Moses Brown m. Eunice Harris of St. 1815.
5. David Brown m. Jennet Miller (this is one of the Irish families that settled in N. B. about 1740,) he had Ann, John, James, and David, all of whom d. in infancy, and John 1750, and James 1752, both went to Harpersfield.
He d. in the prime of life, about 1753, which was the date of his will.
Jennet Brown, perhaps the wid. m. Simon Griffin 1759.
Ichabod Bryant m. Ruth Staples, and they had a dis. from Raynham Ch. to W. B. 1745.
He d. 1759 ; he came from M. to N. B. and had Philip, Nathan, Seth, Job, Gamaliel, Phebe, Ruth, Sarah, Anna, and Prudence.
Nathan d. single.
Gamaliel settled in New Bedford.
Phebe m. Henry Howard.
Ruth m. a Holmes.
Sarah m. Francis Cook 1750.
Anna m. a Robinson.
Prudence d. single.
2. Doct. Philip (s. of Ichabod, 1st,) m. Silence, D. of Dr. Abiel Howard 1757, and had Oliver 1758*, Ruth 1760*, Daniel 1763*, Bezaliel 1765, Peter 1767, Cyrus 1769, Anna 1771, Silence 1774, and Charity 1777.
His w. d. and he m. Hannah, D. of Benjamin Richards 1779.
He d. 1816 ae. 84 : she d. 1816 ae. 80.
Silence m. Ichabod Bryant 1792.
Anna m. Capt. Henry Kingman 1795.
Bezaliel and Charity removed to the State of New York.
Peter was a physician, settled in Cummington, and m. a D. of Ebenezer Snell Esq. of that place, and was father of William Cullen Bryant the poet.
Cyrus m. Polly Noyes 1795, and had Zibia 1795, Daniel 1798, who m. Lucy Skinner of Mansfield 1817.
Zibia m. Benjamin Dickerman 1817.
The parents Cyrus and Polly, .both d. 1798.
3. Seth (s. of Ichabod 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Dependence French of St. 1765, and had Elizabeth 1766, Ichabod 1768, Dependence French 1770, Mary 1772, Zibeah 1774, Seth 1778, Olive 179] , Ira 1781
This family removed westward.
Elizabeth m. Josiah Manly 1789.
Ichabod m. Silence Bryant 1792.
Dependence F. m. Rebecca Blackman, 1791, he lived in Cumrnington, Easton, Pembroke, and d. in N. Bedford, and had 3 who d. in infancy, and then Dion, Rebecca, Austin, Emily, Elizabeth, and William.
Mary m. Samuel Holmes 1791.
4. Job (s. of Ichabod, 1,) m. Mary Turner 1764 ; their children Anna 1764, Nathan 1766, Calvin 1768, Job Staples 1772, Thirza 1774, Oliver, Clement, David, Samuel, Asa,and Harriet.
Anna m. Abiel Phillips of Easton 1787, and was mother of the Dwarf.
Thirza m. Manasseh Dickerman 1791.
Job Staples m. Lovicey Pratt 1793.
Olivcr m. Nabby, D. of Timothy Ames, 1804, and has Ziba Bass 18O4, Danville Ames 1806, Theron Carver 1808, George W. 1810.
Harriet m. David Dunbar, Jr. of Easton 1801.
Asa m. Mehitabel Snow of Easton 1810 and Betsy Snow 1811.
5. Daniel Bryant (s. of Seth of Halifax,) m. Jennet, D of Cushing Mitchell 1769, and first resided at Watertown, afterwards at Stroudwater in Maine, and finally settled in E. B. and had Seth, Mary, Jennet, Alice, Abby M. and Dorcas.
Seth m. Maria, D. of Charles Keen, and lives in Boston ; she d. 1839, ae. 35.
Jennet m. Jonah Edson 1819.
Alice m. Simeon H. Edson 1833, and d.1836.
Abby M. m. Robert Curtis, removed to Boston and d. there 1832.
Dorcas m. a Fellows, and d. 1834.
Jennet the mother d. 1808, ae. 37, and he m. Wid. Charity, late w. of Isaac Chamberlin, and sister of Maj. Nathaniel Tomson of Halifax 1809, and had George, Laura, Elizabeth, and Lucy, who d. 1832, ae. 14.
George m. Elizabeth Deblois.
Laura m. Isaac Packard.
Elizabeth m. a Dyer.
Ruth, sister of Daniel, m. Benj. Faxon 1787, and d. 1788 ae. 19.
6. Dion Bryant (s. of Dependence F.) m. Lucretia H. Briggs of Pembroke 1821, and had Merton Cassius 1823, and Lucretia Hall 1826.
7. Calvin (s. of Job 4.) m. Rebecca Morse 1791, and had Silvia 1792, Clarissa 1798, Luther 1799, Wealthy 1801, Melinda 1803, Eleanor 1806, Paul 1811.
8. Nathan (s. of Job 4) m. Sarah Jordan 1790, and had
Sally 1791, who. m. Jona. Snow Jr. 1810.
Nathan 1793, Anna 1795, who m. Wm. Carr, Jr. 1821, Abigail 1797, Mira 1799, Olive 1801, Issachar Snell 1805, Sophia 1805, Benj. Turner 1812.
9. Samuel (s. of Job 4) and his w. Sally had Samuel 1801, Betsy 1805, Erin 1806, Mary 1808, Addison 1814.
Martha Bryant m. Thomas Conant a. 1730.
Lydia Bryant m. Alexander Tirrell 1788.
Ruth Bryant m. Edward Hayford 1709.
Mary Bryant m. John Wormal 1729.
Jerusha Bryant of Plympton m. Solomon Leach 1738.
Nehemiah Bryant m. Bethiah Washburn 1741.
Daniel Bryant m. Sarah Washburn 1767.
Zebulun Bryant m. Mary Conant 1767.
Agatha Bryant of M. m. Jeremiah Keith 1776.
Sarah m. Jotham Ames 1786.
Abigail Bryant m. Alvan Snell 1799.
Mercy Bryant m. Seth Packard a. 1727.
Jona. Bryant and w. came from Boston 1737 had Mary 1739, and returned again to Boston 1740.
All these perhaps are descendants of John Bryant, who settled in Scituate as early as 1639, and m. Mary, D.of Geo. Lewis of Barnstable 1643, and had John 1644, Hannah 1645, Joseph 1646*, Sarah 1648, Mary 1649, Martha 1651, Samuel 1653 ; in 1657 he m. a 2d. w., Elizabeth, D. of Rev. Wm. Witherell; she died early, and he m. Mary, D. of Thomas Hiland, and had by her 10 children viz., Elizabeth 1665, Benjamin 1669, Joseph 1671, Jabez 1672, Ruth 1673, Thomas 1675, Deborah 1677, Agatha 1678, Ann 1680, Elisha 1682. (See Deane's History of Scituate for a further account of the family.)
Thomas Buck was eldest son of Isaac and Frances Buck of Scituate, and settled in Bridgewater before 1712. He m. Elizabeth, D. of James Howard 1712, and had Mary 1713, Thomas 1715, Elizabeth 1717, John 1721, Matthew 1724, Tabitha 1728; he d. 1755 ; she 1760.
Mary m. David Hill 1733.
Elizabeth m. Elias Monk 1744.
John m. Mary Ames 1739.
Tabitha m. Thomas Kimber 1755.
Some of this family settled in Easton.
2. Matthew (s. of the above) lived also in Bridgewater : his wife Elizabeth : he had Isaac 1750, Thomas 1752, Hannah 1755, Keziah 1757, Joshua 1760, Daniel 1762, Eliphalet 1765, Elizabeth 1769, Matthew 1772.
Isaac m. Sarah Hayward 1773.
Thomas m. Silence Brett 1774.
Isaac Buck first above named and his brother John, both of Scituate, the former Town Clerk, and the latter commonly called Cornet John, "having been Cornet of the Troopers," were probably sons of James Buck, at Hingham 1638.
Isaac d. 1695, and John's will is dated 1697.
There was also a Roger Buck at Cambridge 1643, who had sons, John 1644, and Ephraim 1646.
BUKER or BOWCKER
Nelson Buker and his wife Alice Austin m. 1795, and had George 1796, Melinda 1799, Elijah 1803, Thomas 1810, Louisa 1813, Pamela 1814.
Israel Bowcker m. Bathsheba Carver 1784.
Elijah Bowcker m. Mary Belcher of St. 1820.
Molly Bowcker m. David Snell 1783.
David Bowcker had a D. Rebecca born in E. B. 1783.
Jonathan Burr, Minister of Dorchester, ord. 1640, and d. 1641, was born at Redgrave in Suffolk, England 1604: came to N. E. 1639 with his wife Frances and 3 children, Jonathan, John, and Simon.
Jonathan a Physician, settled in Hingham and d. in the Canada expedition of the small pox 1690.
Simon also settled in Hingham a. 1646, and d. 1691, and had a son John 1659, who had a son John 1695, who settled in Bridgewater. The first John settled in Fairfield Conn. whose s. Judge Peter Burr, was father of the Rev. Isaac Burr, who was father of the Rev. Aaron Burr, Press. of N. Jersey College, father of Aaron, Ex-Vice. Press. of U. S.
1. John Burr (s. of John and Mary of Hingham) was born 1695 : his father d. at Hingham a. 1716 : his mother Mary. was probably D. of John Lazell of Hingham ; he came to Bridgewater probably a. . 1720 : was a Deacon in W. B. and m. Silence, D. of Ephraim Howard 1722, and had John 1724, Elijah 1726, Mary 1728, Jonathan 1731, Seth 1734, Ephraim 1737.
She d. 1773 : he 1777.
Elijah went to Connecticut.
2. John (s. of John 1.) m. Sarah Powers and had Sarah 1746, William, Silence, Polly, (N. B. there is. some uncertainty in the record.—Sarah is called D. of John and Sarah Burr born 1746 : and again John Burr m. Mary Powers 1748, 2 years after ; which may be reconciled by supposing he m. two sisters, first Sarah and afterwards Mary) ; he d. 1776.
William d. young leaving one daughter.
3. Jonathan (s. of John 1.) m. Martha Cudworth 1754, (a descendant probably of Gen. James Cudworth of Scituate, who came from London to Boston probably a. 1632), and had Israel 1755, Jonathan 1757, Elijah 1759, Martha 1761, Luther 1764, Martin 1766, John 1769, Calvin 1771, Ruth 1777, David 1783 : be m. Lydia, D. of Samuel Kinsley a 2d w. 1792 : his will dated 1797.
Israel m. Hannah, D. of Daniel Ames 1779, and Israel, Elijah, and Calvin went to Worthington.
Elijah m. Olive 1789, and Calvin m. Betsy 1796, Ds. of Thomas Ames.
Luther m. Jane, D. of Nathan Howard, Esq. 1785 and went to Maine.
Martha m. Solomon Howard.
Jonathan- gra. H. U. 1784, and settled in the ministry at Sandwich 1789, and m. there but had no children.
Martin m. Mary, D. of Nathan Snell.
Jonathan of Worthington m. Sally, D. of Samuel Alden 1820.
4. Seth (s. of John 1.) m. Charity, D. of Samuel Packard 1753, and had Silence 1754, Charity 1755, Seth 1757, Simeon 1759, Huldah 1761, Susanna 1763, Silvanus 1765, Rufus 1767, Elijah 1769, Persis 1771.
Seth m. Susanna Mehurin of Easton 1781. Susanna, called of Norton, m. Samuel Hartwell 1781.
Silvanus m. Sarah Warren 1790 and lived in E.
5. Ephraim (s. of John 1.) m. Susanna D. of Joseph Alger 1755, and had Molly 1756, Phebe 1758. He d. 1786.
Phebe m. John Foster 1780, she is also said afterwards to have m. a Copeland of E.
6. John (s. of Jonathan 3.) m. Mary D. of Jonathan Copeland 1792, and had Betsey 1792, John Jay 1795, Martin Cudworth 1798, Mary 1800, and removed westward.
Heman M. Burr m. Nella Tucker of Milton 1812.
Sarah Burr m. Isaiah Keith 1773.
Laban Burr m. Mary Ann Storrs of Boston 1820
Silence Burr m. John Howard 1773.
Polly m. Wm. Blakely 1773.
Joseph Burr m. Hannah Richardson of Leicester 1792.
Wm. Burr m. Nabby Bent 1798.
Jonathan Butterfield and his wife Rachel (from Lexington) settled in S. B ; he d. there 1769 ae. 74 ; he left no children ; gave a tankard to the church ; and left his estate principally to Rachel, D. of Simeon Leonard, afterwards w. of Wm. Swift, and her mother was niece to Butterfield.
1. Nicholas Byram according to family tradition, was son of an English gentleman of the county of Kent, who removed to Ireland about the time this son was born. His father sent him at the age of 16 to visit his friends in Eng. in charge of a man, who betrayed his trust, robbed him of his money, and sent him to the West Indies, where he was sold to service to pay his passage, and after his term expired he made his way to New England and settled at Weymouth.
He m. Susanna, D. of Abraham Shaw of Dedham, and had
Abigail, who m. Thomas Whitman 1656.
Deliverance, who m. John Porter 1660.
Experience, who m. John Willis.
Susanna who m. Samuel Edson.
Mary, who m. Samuel Leach.
These were all born at Weymouth.
In 1660 he bought three proprietary or original purchase rights in Bridgewater viz. Moses Simmons', Philip Delano's, and George Soule's, and settled here soon after. He d. 1688 ; she d. a. 1698.
2. Capt. Nicholas (s. of the above.) m. Mary, D. of Samuel Edson 1676, and had Bethiah 1678*, Margaret 1680*, Mehitabel 1693, a. s. 1685*, Nicholas 1687, Mary 1690, Ebenezer 1692, Susanna-1695, Josiah 1698, Joseph 1791.
Mehitabel m. Elisha Allen.
Mary in. Maj. Edward Howard.
Susanna m. Capt. Jonathan Bass.
He and his wife were the eldest and first named members of the ch., first instituted in E . B. 1724. Both d. 1727.
3. Nicholas (s. of Nicholas 2.) m. Ann, D. of Thomas Snell 1708, and had Bethiah 1709, Nicholas 1711, Ann 1712, Thomas 1714*, Jesse 1716, Mary 1718, Obin 1720*, Benjamin 1721*, Paul 1723*, and George*
Bethiah m. Samuel Pratt 1729.
Ann m. a Pettingill, and afterwards John Kingman 1771.
Mary m. Thomas Carr.
4. Capt. Ebenezer (s. of Nicholas 2.) m. Hannah D. of Joseph Hayward 1714, and had Ebenezer 1716, Eliab, Japhet, Naphthali, Hannah 1725, Mary 1728, Abigail 1730, Jepthah 1732.
He with all his children went to Windham in the County of Morris N. Jersey a. 1744. He there became a major of the militia and Judge of the County Court, and died 1753, ae. 61.
Ebenezer married Abigail daughter of Capt. Ebenezer Alden 1738, and had Huldah 1739*, Huldah 1740, her grandson Rev. Philip Lindley, was V. Pres. of N. Jersey College, Edward 1742, Ebenezer 1744, (born here) Napthali, Joseph, Abigail, Anne, Mary, and Phebe, (born there).—He and she both d. a.1665 ; his D. Anna was mother of the present Dr. Lewis Condict late member of Congress.
Eliab m. Phebe D. of Ephraim Leonard 1741, gra. H. U. 1740, and was settled as a clergyman at Hopewell N. Jersey : he had a son Eliab born here 1643, whose D. m.Josiah Deane Esq. of Raynham.
Japhet m. Sarah, D. of Josiah Allen 1742, and had a D. Sarah born here 1744, and Japhet and Nicholas b. in N. J.
Naphthali m. Hannah Brett 1744, no children born here.
Jephthah m. Susanna, D. of Eleazar Washburn 1761, and had Eleazar, Eliab, Jephthah, Susanna, Abigail. He d. a. 1805 ; she d. 1815.
Hannah m. Elihu Baldwin.
Mary m. Aaron Thompson, and afterwards Isaac Harlow.
Abigail m. Daniel Thompson and afterwards. Benj. Pitney.
5. Josiah (s. of Nicholas 2.) m. Hannah Rickard of Plymton 1720, and had Susanna 1721, Josiah 1723, Theopholus 1725, Mehitabel 1730, Rebecca 1732.
Susanna m. Capt. Jonathan Bass, Jr. 1741.
Josiah d. young.
Mehitabel m. Daniel Beal 1750.
Rebecca m. Samuel Bowditch of Braintree 1755.
Josiah the father removed to New Jersey, his wife Hannah d. here, a widow, 1771 ae. 78.
6. Joseph (s. of Nicholos 2.) was a physician, and m. Martha, D. of David Perkins 1724, and had Joseph 1726, Martha 1728, Benjamin 1731, Mary 1734, Elizabeth 1738*, Susanna 1742. He d. and his wid. m. Matthew Gannet 1750, and d. 1779 ae. 74.
Martha m. Henry Cary 1749, and afterwards Abner Pratt 1764.
Mary m. John Lazell 1750.
7. Nicholas (s. of Nicholas 3.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Matthew Gannett 1738, and had Seth 1739, Content' 1740 ; the father d. and the wid. m. Thomas Hayward 1746.
Content m. David Harvey 1756.
8. Theophilus (s. of Josiah 5.) m. Elizabeth wid. of Samuel Beal Jr. 1749, she was a Blackman, and had Josiah 1750, Oliver 1751, David 1753, James 1756, Melzar 1759, and Susanna ; and removed to North Yarmouth, Me.
9. Jesse (s. of Nicholas 3.) m. Abigail, D. of David Thurston of Rehoboth 1742, and had Josiah 1743.
Mary Thurston her sister d. here 1776 ae. 53.
David Thurston of Rehoboth the father m. Mercy, D. of James Cary 1713, and had John 1714, Abigail 1716, James 1718, David 1721, Mary 1723.
James m. Phebe Perkins 1749.
Hannah Thurston of Rehoboth m. John Cary of Windham 1716.
10. Joseph (s. of Dr. Joseph 6.) m. Mary, D. of Wm. Bowditch of Braintree 1745, and had Elizabeth 1747, Joseph 1748*, William 1750, Asa 1751, Susanna 1753, Ebenezer 1755, Mary 1756, Martha 1757.
Elizabeth m. Winslow Richardson 1768.
William removed to Raynham.
Asa went to New York.
Susanna m. Ebenezer Howard of Braintree 1773, and afterwards a Holbrook and went to Cummington.
Ebenezer went to Me.
Mary d. single.
Martha m. a Phillips.
11. Benjamin (s. of Dr. Joseph 6.) m. Anne, D. of Capt. John Holman 1757, and had one child Anne 1757 ; his w. d. and he m. Rachel, D. of Israel Bailey 1760, and had Jenny 1761, Kezia 1761, Ward 1763, Rachel 1765, Susanna 1766, Ruth 1769, Mehitabel 1771, Benjamin 1774, George W. 1776, Nicholas 1778.
Anne m. John Mitchell 1781.
Jenny m. Maj. Isaac Lazell 1779.
Kezia m. a Leonard of T.
Rachel m. Nathan Mitchell, Esq. 1793.
The father then with all the rest of his family removed to Coos.
12. Seth (s. of Nicholas 7.) m. Sarah Vinal of Scituate 1762, and had Seth, Stephen, Sally, he d. 1781, and his wid. m. Capt., Simeon Whitman 1784.
Stephen went away and d. young.
Sally m. Caleb Copeland 1787.
13. Josiah (s. of Jesse 9.) m. Sarah, D. of Reuben Hall 1766, and had George 1767, David 1768, Mercy 1770, Abigail 1775, Ruth 1777, Branch 1780, Mary 1788. He d. 1806 ae. 63 ; she d. 1828 ae. 84.
George m. Phebe Randall 1788; David m. Lucy Randall 1791, and had a D. Sally 1792, and both moved away westward.
Mercy m. Nathan Whitman 1788.
Abigail m. Natll'l. Cliff, and afterwards a Turner.
Ruth m. Isaac Alden, 3d.
Mary m. Calvin Shepard 1807.
14. Seth (s. of Seth 12.) m. Matilda, D. of Stephen Whitman 1791 : he was master of a fishing Vessel, and was lost on the Grand Banks ; she d. 1807 ae. 35.
He had Robert Jamieson, (named for, a Scotch gentleman of that name, who lived with her grandfather, the Hon. Hugh Orr,) Sally, and Lucy.
Robert J. m. Mercy D. of Elisha Faxon 1814 and lives in Boston.
15. Capt. Branch (s. of Josiah 13.) m. Anne, D. of Isaac Washburn 1802, and had Harrison Gray, Branch, Lewis, Lucia Anna, Asa Washburn, Josiah, George Henry, and Sarah.
Lucia Anna m. her cousin Marsena Whitman.
This is the only family, and Branch, of the name, remaining in B. Some of these are now writing their name Byron, but the name is unquestionably Byram : and has been uniformly so spelt and written by the family themselves from Nicholas the first, down to Branch. It is an old English name.