History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Nathaniel Ramsdell (from Pembroke) settled in E. B., and m. Mary, D. of Joshua Pratt, 1753, and had Daniel 1754, Matthew 1756, James 1755, Joseph 1761.
Daniel m. Elizabeth Buck, and had Betsy 1777, and d. 1779 ; and his w. m. Ebenezer Noyes 1795.
Matthew m. Mary, and James m. Eunice, Ds. of Jonathan Allen of Braintree, and both went to Cummington.
Joseph m. Lydia Gloyd of A. 1787, and had Nathaniel 1789, Nancy 1791, Lydia -1794, Mary 1797, Joseph 1806.
Nathaniel m. Sally, D. of Josiah Johnson, 1812.
Nancy and Lydia m. David Brown 1812 and 1818.
Mary m. John P. Reed 1816.
Mary m. William Whiting 1748.
Gideon m. Sarah Farrington 1736.
Samuel had Gershom 1750, Martha 1752, in E. B.
Joseph had Sarah 1749 in E. B.
Simeon's w. d. in E. B. 1781.
John m. Hannah Allen 1784.
Charles m. Betty Tirrell 1783.
Lot m. Lucinda Gannett 1794.
Noah m. Hitty Whitmarsh 1790.
Lucy m. James Dorrein 1797.
Levi of Milton m. Amie Dunbar 1801.
Noah m. Betsy Allen 1818.
This name was sometimes written Ramsden on early records.
James Ratchford, or Radsford, was early in E. B., (Hanson now perhaps), and m. Margaret Balls 1738, and had James 1739, Thomas 1741, William 1748, John 1750, Walter 1752.
Rev. Valentine Wightman Rathburn settled in W. B. over the Baptist Society : his wife Hepzibah : he had Sakey Lethridge 1801, Samuel Carpenter 1805.
Hannah Rathburn of Bellingham m. Barzillai Hayward 1813.
REED, OR READ
Samuel and Mary Reed : she was a Davis ; m. 1705 had Mary 1706 ; (m. Ebenezer Shaw 1733,) and Samuel 1707.
Samuel m. Elizabeth, D. of Nathaniel Hayward, 1737.
The wid. m. Timothy Hayward 1730.
2. Joseph and Mary bad Mary 1741.--These two families were from Abington probably, and Samuel might have lived in Abington, as a great part of it then belonged to Bridgewater.
3. Hezekiah (s. of James) m. Deborah, D. of Isaac Tirrell of A., and had James, Isaac, Jeremiah, Calvin, Joseph, Jared, and Nancy.
Jared m. Mehitabel Gardner 1811, and Electa Phillips, 2d w.
Joseph m. Charlotte Stetson 1807.
Calvin m. Hannah Lowden 1807.
Wid. Sarah Reed d. 1811, ae. 75.
4. Ezekiel and his wife Mary had Polly 1769, Zelotes 1771, Ezekiel 1772, Zebulun 1774, Hannah 1776, Olive 1777, Jesse 1778, Charles 1780, Abraham 1782, Briggs 1784.
Jesse m. Hannah, D. of Caleb Hayward 1800.
5. Rev. John, D. D. (s. of Rev. Solomon of Titicut) m. Hannah Sampson 1780, and settled in W. B.; ord. 7th June, 1780, and had John 1781, Daniel 1783, Solomon 1788, Hannah 1790, Sally 1793*, Caleb 1797, Sampson 1800. She d. 1815, and he m. again.
John gra. B. U. 1803, and m. Olive, D. of Abiezer Alger Esq. 1809, and settled in Yarmouth, Co. of Barnstable, as an Attorney ; now, [book pub. 1840] and for many years past, Member of Congress.
Daniel m. Nancy Foster of Mid. 1812.
Solomon m. Abigail, D. of George Howard, 1811.
Hannah m. Jonathan Copeland 3d 1818.
Caleb and Sampson went to Boston ; both gra. H. U.; Caleb 1817, Sampson 1818.
6. Timothy Esq. (bro. of Rev. John 5.) settled also in W. B., m. Hannah, D. of Caleb Kingman, 178S, and had Caleb Kingman 1789*, d. 1796 ; Caleb Kingman 1799, d. 1837, unmarried : the .father, Timothy, d. 1813.
7. Jonathan (s. of Ebenezer of Abington) m. Deborah, D. of John Porter of Abington, and settled in E. B., and had Mary 1789, Jonathan Loring 1791, John Porter 1793, Deborah 1795, Elizabeth 1797, Thaxter 1800, Ebenezer 1801, Clarissa 1805, Almira 1806, David Porter 1808.
Jonathan L. m. Charlotte Brown of Abington 1816.
John Porter m. Polly, D. of Joseph Ramsdell 1816.
Deborah m. Jonathan R. Gurney of A. 1816.
8. Ezekiel (s. of Ezekiel 4.) m. Rebecca, D. of Jesse Edson, 1794, and had Emma Corbett 1795, Lydia 1797, Josiah 1799, Joseph Edson 1801, Edwin 1804, Charles Briggs 1806.
Emma C. m. Jacob Tirrell 1813.
Josiah m. Jennet, D. of John Keith 1820.
9. James and his w. Rebecca had Andrew Barton 1798.
10. Isaac (s. of Hezekiah 3.) m. Sally, D. of Peleg Stetson, 1803, and had Sally 1803, Isaac 1805, Nahum 1806, Dexter 1809, James Baxter 1815.
11. John (s. of Simeon) m. Lucy Lucas, and had Zadock 1750 in E. B.
Zadock m. Lucy Gardner, and had Olive 1773, Miriam, Rachel, Bela, Rhoda, Simeon, John, Obed, Luther, Anna, Lucy, Polly : he removed to Pembroke.
Olive m. Samuel P. French 1801.
Rachel d. 1782, ae. 26.
Bela m. Polly, D. of Jonathan Beals, 1793: she d. 1795, ae. 25.
12. Joseph (s. of Hezekiah 3.) m. Charlotte, D. of Peleg Stetson, 1807, and had Lucius 1808, Aaron 1811, Charlotte Tirrell 1814.
13. Joshua Reed, from Abington, lives in E. B.; his children are Joshua, Daniel N., John, Mehitabel, Deborah.
Mary m. Simeon Gannett 1775.
Ezekiel Reed .m. Hannah Beal 1742.
Samuel P. of A. m. Polly Bates 1816.
Rebecca, member of ch. E. B. 1743.
Mary T. m. Ophir Howe 1818.
Oran of A. m. Charlotte Harden 1817.
Lucy m. Pliny Edson 1819.
John Jr. of A. m. Harriet Churchill 1818.
Edwin m. Farozina Glass 1822.
Elizabeth of Scit. m. Seth Gannett Jr. 1821.
Esther m. David Hearsey 1707.
Abigail m. Nat. Whitaker of Rehoboth 1711.
Sarah m. Hezekiah King 1712.
Stephen m. Mary Whitmarsh 1714.
Ruth m. Seth Whitman 1741.
Rebecca m. Nathan Allen 1743.
Wid. Ruth m. Samuel Porter 1764.
Capt. Daniel m. wid. Sarah Dawes 1765.
Obadiah m. Elizabeth Shaw 1770.
Seth m. Thankful Whitmarsh 1773.
Rhoda m. Richard Smith 1773.
Seth m. Mary Lazell 1776.
Naomi m. Obadiah Hearsey 1777.
Ruth m. Adams Bailey 1783.
James m. Ruth Porter 1784.
Polly Reed of Plymouth m. a Muxam, and afterwards William Bowen, and lives in E. B.
Frederick Jr. of Ran. m. Sally Packard 1797.
Sarah of E. m. Lem'l Lathrop 1794.
Rachel of Pem. m. Isaac Snell 1800.
Sally of M. m. Amos Keith Jr. 1801.
Ezekiel m. Hannah Littlefield of R. 1807.
Jane m. Daniel Bates 1810.
Abiah m. Jane Gurney 1814.
Jeremiah Rea and Mary his wife had Daniel Putnam and Israel Fuller 1798, John Flavel 1801.
Nath'l Reynolds Esq. (s. of Nath'l of Boston) settled in N. B.; m. Hannah Hartwell 1739, and had Philip 1740, Jonas 1742. She d., and he m. Mary Tolman, and had Timothy 1746, Hannah 1750, Mary 1754, Nath'l 1757, David 1759, Silence 1760, Jonathan 1764, Cynthia 1769 : he removed to Vassalborough, Me., with his 5 youngest children.
Hannah m. William Packard 1769.
Mary m. Dea. Ebenezer Packard 1774.
Jona. m. Anna, D. of Jeremiah Thayer, 1794, and went to Sidney, Me.
Nath'l m. Bethiah, D. of Levi Keith, 1777.
2. Thomas (brother of Nathaniel above) m. Elizabeth Turner 1748, and had Amy 1749*, Joseph 1751, Amy 1753, Elizabeth 1755, Susanna 1757, Martha 1759, Thomas 1762, Josiah 1766 : he d. 1795, ae. 77.
Amy m. Silas Dunbar 1772.
Susanna m. Oliver Howard 1780.
Martha m. Capt. Parmenas Packard 1778.
Thomas m. Tabitha, D. of Jeremiah Thayer, 1785, and went to Me.
Josiah m. a Phillips and went to Vermont.
Nathaniel of Boston, father of the two brothers above. m. Mary, D. of Thomas Snell, and when he d. the wid. came back with her children, and she m. David Ames 1722.
3. Philip (s. of Nathaniel 1.) m. Hannah, D. of Wm. Packard, 1765, and had William 1767, Hannah 1709, Charity 1771, Philip, and Polly. He d., and she m. Enos Thayer 1782.
Charity m. Leonard Orcutt 1797.
Polly m. Oliver Belcher 1795.
William m. Martha, D. of Capt. Zebedee Snell, 1791, and went to Me.
Philip went to St.
4. Jonas (s. of Nathaniel 1.) m. Anna, D. of Luke Perkins, a. 1769, and had Anna 1769, Jonas 1772, Isaac 1774, John, David P., Jonathan, Polly.
Anna m. Josiah Perkins Jr. 1790.
Polly m. Isaac French 1800.
Wid. Anna m. Dea. Elijah Snell 1798.
John m. Falley Wales of St. l802.
David P. m. Sarah, D. of Andrew Bartlett of Plymo., 1818, and settled in E. B.
5. Timothy (s. of Nathaniel 1.) and his w. Rebecca had Hannah 1770, Molly 1775: he then went to Vassalboro', Me.
6. Joseph (s. of Thomas 2.) m. Jemima, D. of Luke Perkins, 1772, and had Ichabod, Joseph, Daniel, Simon, Azel, Thomas, Jemima, Olive, Amy, Susanna, Vesta. Capt.
Ichabod m, Polly, D. of Isaac Brett, 1796, and went to Minot, Me.
Azel m. Susanna Nash 1811.
Thomas m. Nancy Pike 1819.
Olive m. Joseph Macomber 1793.
Amy m. Ziphion Howard 1803.
Susanna m. Capt. Silas Dunbar 1806.
Vesta m. Isaac Clapp 1814.
7. Jonas (s. of Jonas 4.) m. Rebecca, D. of Joseph Hayward, 1798, and had Martin Luther 1799, Orren 18O1, Anna 1803, Mary 1805, Jo. Hayward 1808, Rebecca 1814.
8. Isaac (s. of Jonas 4.) m. Mehitabel Ford 1805, and had Polly 1806, Edwin 1808, Nahum 1809, Benjamin Franklin 1810, Sibil 1814.
9. Joseph (s. of Joseph 6.) m. Martha, D. of Silas Dunbar, 1798, and had Olive 1798, Pamela 1800, Sophia 1802, Oliver 1804, Nancy 1808, Daniel 1810, Susanna 1812, Luke 1815.
Joseph Jr. m. Phebe Whitcomb 1817.
10. Simeon (s. of Joseph 6.) m. Mary, D. of Capt. Zebedee Snell 1809, and had Simeon Otis 1809.
Nathaniel and Sarah Reynolds of Boston had Sarah 1631.
Isaac m. Dorothy Seeker of Mid'o., 1707.
Elizabeth m. Perez Packard 1803.
Zilpha m. Joshua Howard 1805.
Nathaniel Jr. of Sidney m. Hannah Porter 1811.
Benjamin Richards (from Weymouth) settled in W. B., and m. Mehitabel, D. of Isaac Alden, 1711, and had Mehitabel 1712, Joseph 1714, Daniel 1716, James. 1718, Sarah 1720. His w. d., and he m. Lydia Faxon, and had John 1723, Josiah 1724, Seth 1726, Ezra 1728, Lydia 1732, Hannah 1736. He d. 1741 : his will makes no mention of James or Seth.
James Richards m. Susanna Pratt 1740, on Abington records : both of them there said to be of Br.
Mehitabel m. David Packard Jr. 1737.
Joseph went to St.
Sarah m. Wm. Packard 1740.
Ezra was a schoolmaster.
Lydia m. Dea. Nathan Alden (his 2d wife) 1757.
Hannah m. Dr. Philip Bryant (his 2d wife) 1779.
2. Daniel (s. of Benjamin 1.) m. Mary, D. of David Packard, 1740, and had Daniel 1741*, William 1741*, and a D. 1742*.
3. John (s. of Benjamin 1.) m. Keziah, D. of Capt. Israel Bailey, 1751, and had Sarah 1752, Keziah 1755, Benjamin 1758, Seth 1763, James 1766, Ezra 1768, Tamzin 1770, Lydia 1773, Jennet 1774 : he d. 1812.
Sarah m. Joseph Thayer Jr. of St. 1795, and afterwards Dea. Zacheus Thayer.
Keziah m. James Inglee 1787.
James and Ezra went westward.
Tamzin m. Joseph Snow Jr. 1795.
4. Dea. Josiah (s. of Benjamin 1.) m. Anna Robinson of Raynham 1781; and had Josiah 1783, Zeba 1786, Daniel 1788: be d. 1815, ae. 90.
Zeba m. Polly, D. of Daniel Hartwell 1817.
Daniel m. Lentha, D. of Daniel Hartwell, 1812.
5. Benjamin (s. of John 3.) m. Polly, D. of Richard Bartlett of N. Scotia, 1782, and had Rhoda 1753, Bartlett 1785, Avery 1788, Polly 1792 : he d. 1812, ae. 54.
Rhoda m. Samuel G. Alden 1804.
Bartlett was a shipmaster, and d. at sea.
Avery went to Duxbury.
6. Seth (s. of John 3.) m. Mebitabel, D. of Joseph Snow, 1791, and had Betsy 1793, John 1796, Luther 1798, Ward 1801, Ruth 1803 : he d. 1837.
John m. Hannah, D. of Jonathan Kingman, 1820.
Ward m. Mehitabel, D. of John Brown.
Joseph Richards and Sarah of Weymouth : his will 1695 mentions Joseph, James, Susanna, Sarah, and "all the rest of my sons and daughters" of whom probably Benjamin first above named was one.
There was a John and Sarah at Weymouth also who had a s. Benjamin 1786.
There was a family of Richards lived in S. B.
Nathan had Nathan, James, Hannah and Polly twins.
Hannah m. Josiah Edson 1791.
Polly m. Marcus Leonard 1793.
James m. Susanna, D. of Abner Pratt, 1798.
Nathan m. Lydia Hayward 1813.
Isaac m. Esther Holbrook 1817.
Anne m. Edward Benton of Prov. 1816.
James of Newton m. Dorothy Packard 1777.
Sarah m. William Davenport 1730.
Joseph m. Mary Hamlin 1742.
Susanna m. Silas Williams 1760.
Timothy of Ded. m. Sarah, D. of Sam'l Edson, 1778.
Milicent m. Silvanus Washburn 1765.
James m. Susanna Pratt 1740.
Winslow Richardson lived in E. B., m. Rhoda, D. of Benjamin Johnson, 1763, and had Benjamin 1764, Ruth Holman 1765. His w. d., and he m. Elizabeth, D. of Joseph Byram, 1768, and had Susanna 1771, Joseph Byram 1773 : he then removed from town.
Stephen Richardson m. Ruth, D. of Benjamin Johnson.
Rebeckah Richardson m. Zebulun Packard 1764, and. afterwards Silas Kinsley 1774.
Hannah of Leicester m. Joseph Burr 1792.
RICKARD, or RECORD
Thomas Record lived in E. B., and had John 1725 : he was one of the committee for settling the Rev. John Angier: he lived perhaps in what is now Hanson.
2. Elkanah Rickard lived in S. B., m. Bethiah, D. of Nath'l Conant, 1733, and had Seth 1735, Amasa 1738, Uriah 1740, Keturah -1744 : he d. 1777.
Seth m. Susanna Packard 1757.
Amasa m. Deliverance, D. of Joseph Pratt 1759.
Uriah m. Zilpha White 1761.
3. Nathaniel lived also in S. B., m. Jerusha, D. of James Dunbar, 1751, and had Daniel 1752, Asher 1754, Elkanah 1759, Ebenezer 1761, Susanna 1763, Rufus 1765.
4. Jacob and Hannah had Salome 1758, Hannah 1760, Bartholomew 1765, d. 1789 : the father d. 1809. Salome m. Enoch Pratt 1784.
5. Salmon Rickard m. Olive, D. of Capt. Elijah Edson 1786, and had Seth 1788, How 1790, Thomas 1794, Calvin 1796, Salmon 1799, and went to Mid'o.
This name was often pronounced Ricket.
Hannah Rickard m. Josiah Byram 1720.
Elizabeth m. John Whitman 1726.
Mehitabel m. Arthur Harris 1730.
Rebecca m. Dea. Seth Allen 1735, and then Dea. Thomas Whitman 1767.
these were all from Plympton.
Joseph of P. m. Lydia Willis 1737.
Samuel m. Mary Bumpus 1749.
Nathan m. Mary Snell 1767.
Elisha Reckords m. Ruth Chamberlin 1775.
Alice m. Joab Willis Jr. 1772.
Sarah m. John Willis 1779.
Betty m. Dea. Noah Edson 1782.
Lucy m. Joshua Washburn 1786.
Chloe m. Nehemiah Pratt 1793.
Hannah m. William Badger 1819.
Samuel Rider lived and d. in S. B., m. Lydia, D. of Benjamin Washburn, 1799, and his s. in law, Benjamin Darling, and his brother Abner Rider, a bachelor, live on the same place.
Captain Samuel Rider (from Plymouth) m. a Dunham, and settled and lives in W. B., and has Samuel, Lewis, William, and others.
Samuel m. Anne and Lewis m. Elizabeth, Ds. of Dea. Joseph Kingman.
William went to N. B.
William Ripley and his wife, two ss., Abraham and John, and 2 Ds., came from Hingham, England, and settled here at Hingham 1635 : he probably m. Elizabeth, wid. of Thos. Thaxter, 1654, and d. 1656 : he was ancestor probably of all of the name in this part of the country.
Sarah m. Jeremiah Beal at H. 1654.
I. William Ripley and his w. Mary settled in W. B., and had Margaret, Sarah 1696, John 1698, Martha 1700, William 1702, Samuel 1705, Jonathan 1707, Timothy 1710, Christopher 1712.
Sarah m. George Bryant.
Martha m. John Rawson.
2. John (s. of William 1.) m. Deborah, D. of Israel Washburn, and had Mary 1730, Waitstill 1732, Deborah 1734. He d., and the wid. m. Nathaniel Bolton 1740, and d. 1759.
Mary m. Amos Hayward 1766.
Waitstill m. Isaac Lee 1751.
3. Samuel (s. of William 1.) m. Abigail, D. of John Bolton, 1736, and had Robert 1737. Abigail, the mother, or a D., m. Stephen Pettingill 1764.
4. Christopher (s. of William 1.) m. Sarah, D. of Maj. Edward Howard, 1737, and had Solomon 1737, Jane 1743, Bethiah 1745.
Bethiah m. Jabez Bolton 1765.
5. Solomon (s. of Christopher .4.) m. Miriam Briggs 1758, and had Christopher 1758, Elizabeth 1761, Daniel 1764, Marlbray 1767, Nathaniel 1771, and Deborah : he d. 1809.
Marlbray m. Ruth Whiting 1787.
Deborah m. Cyrus Hayward 1804.
6. Capt. Daniel (s. of Solomon 5.) m. Martha, D. of David Harvey, 1783, and had Mary 1783, Martha 1787, Daniel 1791, Susanna 1792, d. 1822 ; Orra 1795, David H. 1798, Deborah 1801 : he d. 1819.
Orra m. Alson Field 1820.
Polly m. Sihon Morse of St. 1804.
Sally of Plympton m. Nathan Hartwell 1789.
Hannah of E. m. Sam'l Edson 3d 1797.
Elizabeth m. Jacob Keith 1801.
Lydia of Plympton m. Zephaniah Lathrop Jr. 1812.
Nicholas Robbins was one of the original Proprietors of B., but never resided here : was at Duxbury 1640, and d. there a. 1650. He had John, Catharine, Mary, and Hannah : he gave John half his land at the New Plantation, and the other half to his daughters.
2. John settled here, and had Jeduthun 1667 : he in some way became helpless, for Goodman Turner (George) was ordered to maintain his brother John Robbins 1668.
3. Jeduthun sold his house and land to Sam'l Kinsley a. 1700, "butting on the S. side Town River adjoining the S. E. side of Thos. Washburn's, where his house stands." Robbins had then removed to Plympton, and d. there a. 1726, and had Jeduthun, John, Lemuel, Persis w. of Jona: Wood, Hannah w. of Barnabas Wood, Elizabeth, Abigail, Mehitabel.
4. Benjamin Robbins and his wife Susanna, D. of Daniel Keith, lived in Titicut, S. B., and had a family, but removed to M., and had Benjamin and Susanna 1789, Abigail 1791. Benjamin m. Patience Morton 1814.
Susanna m. Oliver Keith 1809.
Abigail m. Salmon Keith Jr. 1814.
Betsy of Watertown m. Alfred Whitman 1809.
Moses of Mid. m. Patience Hooper 1777.
Polly, sister of Betsy, d. here 1794, ae. 17.
Gain Robinson (from Ireland) landed at Plymouth, lived at Braintree, Pembroke, and finally in E. B., had recommendations from churches in Ireland, Braintree and Pembroke : his w. was Margaret Watson, by whom he had Alexander, Joseph, Gain 1724, Increase 1727, Betty 1728, James 1730, John 1732, Margaret 1735, Mary 1738, Martha 1740, Jane 1742, Robert 1746: he also had by a former w. a s. Archibald, and a D. Susanna who m. Christopher Erskins, an Irishman also, who settled in A, He d. 1763, as. 81 ; she, his 2d wife, 1777, ae. 77. His 9 youngest children only were born here, or after the incorporation of the parish.
Alexander m. Hannah White of A. 1745, and had a D. Abigail 1746, and went to Nova Scotia.
Increase m. Rachel Bates of Hingham 1755, and d. in the French war, a Serjeant, under Gen. Winslow at Nova Scotia, between 1755 and 1757 : had no children.
Mary m. Richard Bartlett 1757.
Martha m. Archibald Thompson 1761.
John m. a Studley, and settled in Kingston, and had a family : his D. Martha m. Eliphalet Bailey 1782.
2. Joseph (s. of Gain 1.) m. Abigail, D. of Joseph Keith, 1746, and had Joseph 1747, Benjamin 1748, Edward 1750, Susanna 1753, Abigail 1755. His w. d., and he m. Hannah, D. of Isaac Snow, 1759, and had Isaac 1760*, Hannah 1763*, Snow 1765*. His estate was settled by his wid. and his brother James 1766.
Joseph d. ae. about 20.
Edward d. 1818, re. 67, a bachelor.
Susanna m. William Vinton 1774.
Abigail m. Silvanus Lazell 1775.
Isaac lost at sea.
Hannah d. single 1802, ae. 39, burnt in a fit.
Snow d. at West Point in the army 1783, ae. 19.
3. Gain (s. of Gain 1.) m. a Dyer, and had Gain, William, Increase, John, Dyer 1765, Joseph, Ansel, Sally, and Zibeah who m. Daniel Packard and went to Pelham : be d. 1778 of small-pox, ae. 54.
Gain m. a Gardner, lived in Hanson or Abington, and had a family.
Sally m. Solomon Johnson 1785.
John m. Molly, D. of Thomas Packard, 1781, and had John, Mary, Daniel, Abiel, Sarah, Zibeah. John, Mary, and Daniel went to Portland.
Abiel and Sarah went to Cambridgeport.
Sarah m. Sam'l Pond.
Zibeah not m.
Daniel afterwards went to Bangor.
4. James (s. of Gain 1.) m. Jerusha, D. of Ebenezer Bartlett of Duxbury, and had James and Bartlett twins, Watson, Abner, Gain, Clark, Jerusha Bartlett 1753, Margaret 1754, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, Esther, Eleanor, Bethiah, and Martha.
James and Bartlett d. in the revolutionary war.
Watson moved to the westward.
Abner was killed at Saratoga 1777.
The family all moved to Cummington.
Gain was a physician there, and Clark d. there.
Jerusha B. m. Wait Wadsworth of Duxbury.
Margaret m. a Fay, and moved westward.
Mary m. David Orr, and went to the 9 Partners. [N.Y.]
Elizabeth m. in Cummington.
Jane m. William Johnson 1779.
Esther, Eleanor and Bethiah m. in Cummington.
The father lived first on Clark's Island, and finally lived and d. in Cummington. He was here in 1766, and administered on his brother Joseph's estate.
5. Robert (s. of Gain 1.) m. Bethiah, D. of Isaac Kingman, 1772, and had Samuel, James, and others probably, and went to Cummington.
6. Archibald (s. of Gain 1. probably) m. Mercy, D. of Richard Field 1747, and had Robert 1747, John 1749.
7. Benjamin (s. of Joseph 2.) m. Eve, D. of James Packard, 1770, and had Anna 1771, Deborah 1777, Susanna 1781, Benjamin 1784, Kilborn 1787, Polly 1790, Hodijah 1793. His w. d., 1796, ae. 46, and he m. Keziah, wid. of Elijah Packard and D. of Capt. John Ames, 1795, and had Nabby Lazell 1799, Bethiah Ames 1802, Margaret Watson 1806 : he d. 1829, ae. 80 ; she 1838, ae. 74.
Anna m. Uriah Brett 1799.
Deborah m. John Alden 1798.
Susanna m. Ichabod Keith 1802.
Polly m. a Bradbury in Maine, and had a 2d husband Herrick in Boston.
Nabby L. m. Samuel P. Condon 1821, and d. 1832, ae. 33.
Bethiah A. m. Martin Ramsdell.
Margaret W. m. Samuel P. Condon, his 2d wife.
Kilborn not m.
8. William (s. of Gain 3.) m. Hannah, D. of Hezekiah Egerton, 1780, and had William 1784, Abigail 1786*, d. 1804 ; Marcus 1791, Sally 1795, Mary Hitchborn and Maria Dyer 1799: he d. 1816 ; she 1832, ae. 72.
William m. Abigail Delano of Dux. 1812.
Marcus m. Charlotte Barstow of Pem. 1820.
Sally m. Henry Gray, and Mary H. m. James Sidall, both Englishmen.
9. Dyer (s. of Gain 3.) m. Abigail, D. of Abishai Stetson, 1787, and settled in S. B., and had Clarissa 1787, Increase 1789, Dyer 1792, Gad 1795, Jacob 1798, Charles, Salome, Abigail, Enoch.
Clarissa m. Solomon Perkins 1813.
Increase m. Hannah, D. of Benjamin Edson 1812.
Dyer m. a Standish.
Gad m. Margaret Orr, D. of Zenas Keith 1821.
Jacob m. Rhoda W. Chandler of Hanson, and had Caroline E. 1823, Jacob Harvey, 1826, Lydia Hall 1827.
Charles m. Ann Maria, D. of Zenas Keith.
Salome m. Zenas Keith, Jr. 1821.
Abigail m. Capt. Scott Keith.
10. Capt. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 7.) m. Mary Packard, D. of his mother-in-law, 1809, and had Benjamia Rosseter, James Lawrence, Elijah Packard 1816,. Mary 1818. James L. d. at sea 1835.
11.. Hodijah (s. of Benjamin 7.) m. Silvia, D. of Hugh Orr, and had Lucia Watson, Herbert.
Increase Robinson was on a Jury at Plymo. 1683 : perhaps the Taunton and Raynham family descended from him. There was an Increase Robinson who was a Captain in the beginning of the Revolutionary war.
Increase Robinson m. Margaret Bonney 1738.
Abigail m. John Fobes 1704.
Abigail m. Thos. Bibby 1776.
Margaret, D. of Gain Robinson Jr., m. Joseph Wesley 1773.
Anna of Raynham m. Dea. Josiah Richards 1781.
Nabby of Mid. m. John Ripley Hayward 1801, and Clarissa of Mid. m. him 1802.
Robert m. Chloe Harvey of Freetown 1807.
Mehitabel m. Daniel Perkins 2d 1809.
Perez m. Margaret Tomson of H. 1819.
Zaccheus H. m. Margaret Fillebrown of Mansfield 1819.
John Rogers of Duxbury was an original Proprietor of this town, but never lived here. He is the same man who went to Scituate, and finally d. in Weymouth 1661. The family tradition is that he was a descendant of John Rogers the martyr of Smithfield. His ss. were John,Thomas, and Samuel, who settled at Rogers' Brook in Marshfield.
2. Samuel (s. of Thomas of Marshfield) came and settled in East Bridgewater, and m. Betty, D. of Capt. Jacob Allen, (who was killed at Saratoga, near Stillwater, at the capture of Bourgoyne, 1777), 1790, and had Nabby 1790, Charles 1799, Jacob Allen 1804, Thomas Hatch 1806.
Nabby m. William Newhall 1807.
Charles m. Sarah Tomson at Halifax 1821.
Jacob A. m. Lucia, D. of Eleazar Keith.
Thomas H. m. Charity Tomson of Halifax 1835, sister of Charles' w., D. of Maj. Nathaniel Tomson.
Samuel, the father d. 1838, ae. 72 ; the mother d. 1831, ae. 63.
Sarah Rogers m. Josiah Churchill 1781.
There was a Thos. Rogers, one of the forefathers, who came in the first ship, the Mayflower, 1620, and d. the first winter, who probably left a s. Joseph, who is named among those to whom lands were allotted in 1623. Whether he was a relation of John first above named is not ascertained.
Thomas Russell (from Scotland) first lived at Weymouth, and there m. Abigail Vinton and afterwards settled in E. B., and had Mary, Betsy, Abigail, and Agnes 1775*.
Mary m. Isaac Alden 1781.
Betsy m. Maj. James Barrel! 1785.
Abigail m. Dea. Wm. Keith 1789 : he d. 18OO, ae. 76 ; she 1802, ae. 56.
Micah (or Michael) Ryon, an Irishman, lived in W. B.: his wife Ruth : he had Nathaniel 1787 (at Scituate), Betsy 1739, William 1791, Isaac 1801. He d. 1811.
The Rev. Zedekiah Sanger; D. D., came from Duxbury, where he had been some time settled in the ministry, and was installed in S. B. as colleague with the Rev. John Shaw, Dec. 17, 1788 : be was born in Sherburne, gra. H. U. 1771, his w. Irene Freeman : he had Deborah, Richard, Caroline, Joseph, Olive, Ralph, Samuel, Sarah, Zedekiah, Eliza : he d. Nov. 17, 1820, ae. 73.
Deborah m. John Ames Jr. 1799.
Richard gra. H. U. 1800, m. Sally Tisdale of Taunton 1807.
Caroline m. Rev. Samuel Clark 1810.
Joseph m. Hannah, D. of Dr. Marcy of Plymo. 1812.
Olive m. Geo. Moore of Burlington 1815.
Rev. Ralph gra. H. U. 1808, and m. Charlotte, D. of Ezra Kingman Esq. of E. B. 1817, and settled at Dover.
Ms.—Sarah m. a Physician of Providence.
2. Samuel (s. of Rev. Zedekiah 1.,) m. Susan, D. of Caleb Alden, but has no children he remains on the family estate : all the rest of the family moved away.
Dr. Daniel Sawin (s. of Eliphalet) came from Randorlph and settled in E. B., m. Hannah, D. of Maj. James Barrell, 1810, and had Eliza Russell 1811, Hannah 1814. His w. d., 1816, and he m. a Cushing of Hanson for his 2d wife. He d. 1822, ae. 36.
Barnabas Seabury (s. of Samuel Jr. of Duxbury) and his w. Mary settled in E. B., and had Rebecca 1723. His w. d., and he m. again, and soon removed from Town.
Edward Sealy m. Elizabeth, wid. of James Howard, and D. of John Washburn, and settled in W. B., and had Benjamin 1693, John 1697 : his will 1693: names his ss. Benjamin of Easton (or North Purchase) and John of Bridgewater. The family all went to E.
John of E. m. Sabrina, D. of Jona. Snow Esq. 1818.
The name is now generally written Seele or Selee.
Josiah Sears came from Yarmouth and settled in E. B. about 1711, and m. Mercy, D. of Isaac Harris, and had Jonathan 1714, Mercy 1717, Hannah 1720. His w. d. 1720, and he m. Judith Gilbert 1720, and had Nathaniel 1721, Elizabeth 1725. He removed back to the Cape a. 1725. He lived back of Sam'l B. Allen's, in the old house owned afterwards by Capt. Jona. Bass.
Roland Sears of Ashfield m. Jedidah Conant 1777.
Capt. Elkanah Sears lived in S. B.
Desire of H. m. Benjamin Washburn 1762.
Josiah Sears of H. m. Mary Porter 1817.
Abner of M. m. Lydia, D. of Solomon Perkins 1762.
Christopher Sever (from Dorchester) settled in E. B., m. Hannah Harden of Hanson 1771, and had Robert 1772, Ruth 1774, Amos, 1778, Bethaniah 1780, Daniel 1782, Calvin 1785, Samuel 1787, Christiana 1790, Amelia 1800, Isabella, Hannah Wendell.
Robert Sever (s. perhaps of Robert) m. Priscilla, D. perhaps of Henry Thornbury Smith, 1818.
Wendell m. Joan Dickerman of E. 1813.
Abraham Shaw (of Dedham) made free 1637: his will on Boston records without date : inventory taken 1638 by Wm. Allen and others : Nicholas Byram and Joseph Shaw witnesses : sons Joseph and John ; Ds. Mary and Martha : John and Martha infants : no wife named, probably d. The ss. had the estate at Dedham, the rest divided among all his children.
Joseph Shaw and Nicholas Byram of Weymouth granted to Robert Mason all their house and grounds in Dedham 1639.
It is supposed Byram m. a D. (Susanna) of Abraham, and that he and Joseph, both then of age, sold their lands in Dedham and the family all removed to Weymouth.
Byram called John Shaw of Weymouth his brother in 1687.
John (probably s. of Abraham) and Alice had John, Elizabeth 1655, Abraham 1657, Mary 1660, Nicholas 1662, Joseph 1664, Alice 1666, Hannah 1668, Benjamin 1670, Abigail 1672, Ebenezer 1674.
Joseph, elder brother of John, had also a family at Weymouth, Joseph, John, &c., and d. 1653.
1. Joseph (s. of John above, born 1664) m. Judith, D. of John and Sarah Whitmarsh : she was born 1669 : be came and settled in E. B. before 1698. His children were Elizabeth 1687, Joseph 1691, Judith 1693, Abigail 1695, all born at Weymouth, Ruth 1698, Martha 1700, Sarah 1702, Hannah 1704, Ebenezer 1706, John 1708, Zechariah 1711: he d. 1718, ae. 54 ; she 1760, ae. 91.
Elizabeth m. Noah Washburn 1710, and Isaac Harris 1719.
Joseph and Judith were never m.
Abigail m. Daniel Alden 1717 : the late Dr. Ebenezer Alden of Randolph was her grandson.
Ruth m. James Snow a. 1719.
Martha m. Eleazar Alden 1720.
Sarah m. Dea. James Cary 1722.
Hannah m. Isaac Snow 1722, and afterwards John Whitman 1743.
2. Zechariah (s. of Nicholas of Weymouth, who was brother of Joseph 1.) lived and d. in E. B.: his wife Sarah : they both joined the church, here 1735: he had Zechariah, Sarah b. here 1735. Zechariah chose his uncle John Shaw of Weymouth for his guardian 1736 ; his father then d. The family perhaps returned to Weymouth.
3. Ebenezer (s. of Joseph 1.) m. Mary, D. of Samuel Reed, 1733, and had Mary 1738, Abigail 1740, Hannah 1742, Susanna 1744, Deborah 1746, Huldah 1747, Ebenezer 1752, Betty 1754, Mehitabel 1756 : he d. 1776, ae. 70. Mary joined the Ch. 1758, and had a dis'n. same year.
Abigail m. Silas Harris, and afterwards Jonathan Gannett 1785, and went to Cummington.
Susanna m. Pollycarpus Snell 1766.
Deborah m. a Ford of A.
Huldah m. John Bisbee 1779.
Ebenezer went to Cummington. Betty d. single 1832, ae. 78.
Mebitabel m. Ebenezer Bisbee 1778.
4. Rev. John (s. of Joseph 1.) gra. H. U. 1729, ord. in S. B., Nov. 17, 1731, m. Ruth, D. of the Rev. Samuel Angier of Watertown, and sister of the Rev. John Angier of E. B., and had Oakes 1736, Bezaliel 1733, William 1741, Eunice 1743, Ruth 1744, Ezra 1746, John 1748, Samuel 1750: she d. 1768, ae. 63; he d. April 29, 1791, ae. 82.
Oakes gra. H. U. 1758, and settled in the ministry at Barnstable 1760, and d. 1807, ae. 71, and was father of the Hon. Lemuel Shaw C. J. of the S. J. C. of Mass., and of an only D. who m. Maj. Blish of Barnstable.
Bezaliel gra. H. U., 1762, and settled in the ministry at Nantucket, and his only child was w. of the late Dr. Craigie of Cambridge.
William, D. D., gra. H. U. 1762, and settled in the ministry at Marshfield 1766, and d. 1816, ae. 75, and had Josiah Crocker and Philander, both settled in the ministry.
Ezra d. 1764.
John gra. H. U. 1772, and settled in the ministry at Haverhill ; m. a Smith; sister of President Adams' wife, and was father of Wm. S. Shaw, former Clerk of the District Court in Boston, who d. single 1826 : he d. 1794 : his wid. m. Rev. Mr. Peabody of Atkinson, N. H.:
he had also a D. who m. Rev. Joseph Felt.
Eunice d. single 1791, ae. 49.
Ruth m. Gen. Nath'l Goodwin of Plymouth 1782, and was mother of the late Rev. Ezra S. Goodwin of Sandwich, and Anne, w. of Dr. Boutelle.
5. Dea. Zechariah (s. of Joseph 1.) remained on the family estate in E. B., m. Sarah, D. of Daniel Packard 1733, and had Sarah 1734, Ruth 1738, Martha 1740, Daniel 1742, Elizabeth 1744, Judith 1749, Zechariah 1751, Nehemiah 1753 : be d. 1790, ae. 79; she 1792, ae. 77.
Ruth m. Joseph Snow 1759.
Martha d. 1825 not m.
Elizabeth m. Obadiah Reed 1770.
Judith m. John Edson 1770.
Nehemiah m. Molly Hill (or Beal, qu.) 1775.
Sarah Shaw m. Elijah Snow in E. B. 1780.
6. Dr. Samuel (s. of the Rev. John 4.) remained on the family estate, and m. Olive, D. of Zebulun Leonard Esq. of Mid'o. 1781, and had Hannah Whitmarsh, John Angier, Zebulun Leonard, Sarah Miller. Hannah W. m. Joseph Ames Jr. 1812.
John A. gra. H. U. 1811, went to the southward,. there m. a White ; she d.: he returned again, and m. Mira, D. of Capt. Ephraim Sprague : she first m. John Washburn.
Zebulun L. gra. H. U. 1815, and d. at New Orleans July 22d, 1819, ae. 24.
Sarah M. m. Col. Abram Washburn.
7. Zechariah (s. of Dea. Zechariah 5 ) m. Hannah, D. of Samuel Bisbee, 1777, and had Joseph, Sarah, Alvan 1785. He d. 1820, ae. 68 ; she 1832, ae. 82.
Sarah d. 1825, ae. 43.
Joseph m. Olive, D. of Samuel Dike 1805.
8. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin and Hannah probably of A., b. 1728) and his wife Susanna had Chloe 1757, John 1760, both bap. in W. B.
9. William (brother of Benjamin next above b. 1730) settled in N. B., m. Hannah West 1754, and had Hannah, William 1757, Dan 1758, Rhoda 1762, Napthali 1764, Betsy 1766, Micah 1768, and Patience. His w. d., and he m. Dorcas Smith 1773, and had Abigail 1775: he d. 1809, ae. 79 ; she 1797, ae. 64.
Hannah m. Mark Packard 1774.
William m. Deliverance, D. of Ezekiel Washburn, 1778.
William Jr. m. Pamela Rugg of D. 1791.
Dan m. a Perkins of M. and went to Lyme, N. H.
Rhoda m. Benja. Kingman 1783, and went to Winchester.
Napthali gra. Dart. C. 1790, and m. Polly, D. of Dr. John S. Crafts and settled in the ministry at Kensington, N. H.
Betsy m. Isaac Horton 1804.
Patience m. Nath'l Southworth 1793.
Abigail m. Ziba Wood.
10. Micah (s. of William 9.) m. Jane (Jenny), D. of Matthew Kingman 1793, and had Caroline 1794, Newton 1795, Zibeon 1797, Addison, Marcus, Mary Cary, Hannah, Rhoda.
Newton m. Olive, D. of Capt. Robert Packard, 1818.
Mary Cary m. Abiel Kingman 1819.
11. James and his w. Margaret Mora m. 1752, had David 1757, James 1760. He afterwards had a D. Eunice bap. in E. B. 1777, and brought a certificate from Milton Church ; and had Margaret 1779.
12. John and his w. Silence lived in E. B., and had Hannah, Philip 1771, John 1773: Philip and Hannah bap. in E. B. 1773.
13. Azel Shaw m. a D. of Solomon Alden, and lived in S. B., and had Alexander, Soranus, Charles, Azel, and others.
Gideon of Raynham m. Abigail Fobes 1767.
Hannah m. John Haines 1709.
John of Raynham m. Dinah Leach 1761.
Ebenezer Jr. of Mid'o. m. Deborah Keith 1764.
Martha of Mid'o. m. David Hooper 1765.
Mary of Raynham m. Ezra Fobes 1776.
Solomon m. Anna Hayward 1782.
Nathan m. Rosamond Leonard 1782.
Chloe of Mid'o. m. Ziba Leonard 1782.
Hannah of Ab. m. Eliab Packard Jr. 1792.
Betsy of Mid'o. m. Bezer Leach 1793.
Silas of Ab. m. Lucy White 1794.
Ruth m. Jacob Washburn 1797.
William m. Molly Crossman 1797.
Sullivan of Mid'o. m. Cynthia Keith 1797.
Experience m. Luther Jennison of Conn. 18O1.
Alexander m. Sally White of Mid'o. 1801.
Hannah of Ab. m. Eliphalet Leach 1806.
Rev. John of Ab. m. Susanna Cary 1807.
Charles m. Lucy Tomson of Mid'o. 1810.
Charles m. Lucy Thomas of Mid'o. 1811.
Sarah of Mid'o. m. Azor Harris Esq. 1813.
Elizabeth m. Ephraim Harlow of Mid'o. 1815.
Ebenezer of Mid'o. m. Mary Dickerman 1816.
Zephaniah m. Lucy, D. of Zenas Crooker.
Soranus m. Elizaabeth M. Alden 1816.
Susan m. Cyrus Snell 1818.
Hannah m. Lyman Hooper 1820.
Harriet m. Ford Bearce 1820.
Mary m. Benjamin Aldrich 1721.
Abigail m. Daniel Copeland 1791.
Abner Shelly m. Melinda, D. of Azor Howe, 1812, and had Mary Hartwell 1813, Ruth Cheesman 1815, Daniel Hartwell 1817.
Anthony Sherman (his father was John and his mother was a D. or g. D. of Anthony Eames of Marshfield) came from Rochester and settled in E. B. a. 1766 : be m. Silence Ford of Marshfield, where they both originally belonged. They had Mary 1747, Hannah Oct. 25, 1749, Jane 1751, Thomas 1754, Lydia 1756, Lois 1758, Ruth, Betty 1768.
Mary m. Eleazar Allen of Rochester.
Hannah m. Josiah Newton 1776, and afterwards Cushing Mitchell 1780.
Jane m. Eleazar Barrows 1773.
Lydia m. Thomas Whitman 1751.
Lois m. a Blazdell of Tamworth, N. H.
Ruth m. Jareb White of Amherst 1794.
Betty m. Joseph Keith 1787, and afterwards Timothy Allen 1791.
2. Thomas (s. of Anthony 1.) m. Betsy, D. of Daniel Keith, 1781, and had Anthony (at Brookfield) 1783, Daniel 1785, Thomas 1787 (2 last at Bridgewater), Lydia, Naomi, Betsy, Martin, Hannah (5 last at Tamworth, N. H., whither be and his father removed).
Calvin Shepard m. Mary, D. of Josiah Byram, 1807, and had Silas Cleaveland 1809, Nathan Thomas 1811, Calvin 1816 : be removed to Pembroke.
William Shurtliff m. Sarah, D. of John Kingman, 174.5, and had Silence 1747, Sarah 1749. She d. 1752, and be m. a 2d wife Rachel, and had Content 1753, Amasa 1760, Barnabas 1761. She d., and be m. a 3d w. Abigail, and had Jonathan 1793 : he d., and his wid. Abigail m. Capt. Josiah Dunbar 1799.
Lucy Shurtliff m. Eleazer Cole 1769.
Simeon Shurtleff m. Submit, D. of Henry Kingman, 1781.
Ichabod Shurtleff of Plymouth m. Betty Pettingill 1787.
Jonathan of M. m. Elizabeth Leach.
SILVESTER OR SYLVESTER
Israel Sylvester of Duxbury m. Abigail, D. of Josiah Snell of W. B. 1734, and had Joseph 1735, Israel 1737, Seth 1740, Josiah 1742, Zechariah 1744, Abigail 1747. Joseph and Israel were bap. in W. B. 1739, but the family lived afterwards in Duxbury. All of the name, now numerous, descended probably from Richard Sylvester, who was at Weymouth 1630, and removed to Scituate 1642.
Zechariah above m. Mehitabel, D. of Zechariah Cary of N. B.
Abigail m. Samuel Alden of Duxbury.
2. Joseph .(s. of Israel 1.) m. Lucy, D. of Ephraim Sampson of Mid'o., and settled in N. B. 1769, and had Lucy 1772, Ephraim 1774 : he had also Seth, Joseph, Benjamin, and Josiah b. before he came to this town : the father d. 1818, ae. 84.
Seth and Benjamin are d.
Josiah went to Tiverton.
3. Joseph Esq. (s. of Joseph 2.) m. Hannah, D. of Robert Howard, 1786, and had Gustavus 1786, Abigail 1788*, Hannah 1790, Clinthy 1792, Wealthy 1794*, Algernon Sidney 1798.
Gustavus m. Martha, D. of Daniel Field 1811.
Mehitabel, D. of Zechariah Sylvester of Dux. m. Zechariah Snell 1793.
Sally m. Jesse Perkins 1808.
Rachel m. Joseph Newell 1734.
Tabitha d. in E. B. 1794, ae. 47.
Jno. Skinner from Boston m. Rebecca M'Clench 1797, and had John 1799, at W. B.: he returned again to Boston.
Pelatiah Smith lived in W. B., and m. Jane, wid. of James Dunbar, and D. of Isaac Harris, and had Jane 1692, Pelatiah 1695, James 1697, Samuel 1699, Desire 1701, Joanna 1703, Ruhamah 1705, Robert 170S, Joseph 1710. He purchased John Bolton's house and land butting on the Town River, and bounded westerly by Joseph Hayward and Nath'l Brett 1701. The family early removed from town.
2. John Smith (s. of John Smith of Randolph) settled in E. B., and m. Mary, D. of John Hanmer, 1749, and had Elizabeth 1750, William 1753, John 1755, Mary 1757, Daniel 1761, Sarah 1763, Dorcas 1765, Hosea 1768. This family removed from town.
Mary d. 1778, ae. -20.
John the father d. 1790, ae. 69 : he was with Gen'l Winslow in dispersing the Neutral French 1755, at Nova Scotia.
3. John m. Susanna Hill 1777, and had Paul, and d., and she m. John Dyer 1778.
John Smith m. Ruth Cornish 1779 : John Smith's w. d. 1779, and Joseph Cornish 7 days after, ae. 77.
John Smith (s. of John of E. B., and g. s. of John of Randolph) m. Hannah, D. of David Edson, 1805, and lived in N. B., and had Albert, Harrison, Salome, and Rachel.
4. Elijah Smith m. Betty, only child of Abner Harris, and lived in E. B., and had Betty 1755, Celia 1760, Abner. He removed from town. Betty d. unmarried.
5. Joseph Smith and his wife Thankful came from the Cape, and settled in E. B., and had Henry Thornbury, Mary, Rhoda, Joseph (all bap. 1779), Priscilla 1779, John 1781, Rachel 178.5 : she d. 1823, ae:. 74 ; he d. 1831, ae. 84.
Mary m. John Crooker perhaps 1798.
Rhoda m. John Tirrell Jr. 1794.
Priscilla not m.
Joseph m. Eunice Muxam 1799 : she d. 1802. ae. 27.
6. Henry Thornbury (s. of Joseph 5.) m. Priscilla, D. of Knight Brown, 1792, and had Libeus and others, and went into Maine and preached.
Libeus m. Salome, D. of Azor How, 1814, and Polly, D. of Christopher Bates, 1817.
His D. Priscilla perhaps m. Robert Sever 1818.
7. Rev. Amasa Smith m. Mary Haskell of Westborough 1815, and had Mary Haskell 1816.
8. William Smith came from Duxbury to E. B. 1832, m. a Tilden, and had William Webster 1832, Andrew Jackson, and others.
John Smith m. Jael, D. of Samuel Packard.
Solomon of E. m. Elizabeth, D. of Joseph Cole, 1761.
Elizabeth m. Josiah Whitman 1747.
Margaret of Milton m. Robert Tomson 1754.
Samuel m. Abigail, D. of Ebenezer Alles.
Martha m. John Gilmore 1764.
Anna of Lexington m. Simeon Leonard 1764.
Zephaniah m. Lydia Conant 1773.
Jeremiah m. Mary Farr of Easton 1773.
Richard m. Rhoda Reed 1773.
Dorcas m. Wm. Shaw 1773.
Abigail of Roxbury m. Joshua Bowen 1782.
Isaac of Braintree m. Mary Conant 1783.
Chloe of Norton m. Nathan Kingman 1785.
Lydia of Walpole m. Roland Leonard 1786.
Judith of Pembroke m. Rev. Samuel Angier 1796.
Elijab m. Mary Beal 1802.
Becca m. Daniel T. Dickerman 1803.
John of Canton m. Hannah Edson 1804.
Submit m. William Curtis 1806.
Nabby m. Silas Leonard 1755.
Rachel m. Nathan Alger 2d 1809.
Priscilla of Mid'o. m. Daniel Allen 1815.
Bathsheba of Hanson m. Eleazar Carver Jr. 1821.
Mary m. Benj. Southworth 1763.
Rachel m. Jonathan Lawrence 1765.
Benaiah m. Mary Hill 1738.
Allen m. Sally Leach 1815.
Thomas Snell (from England, nephew of Dea. Samuel Edson) settled in W. B. a. 1665. He was probably the largest landholder in the town, and some portions of it still bear his name, as Snell's Plain, Snell's Meadows, &c. He m. Martha, D. of Arthur Harris, and had Thomas 1671, Josiah 1674, Samuel 1676, Amos 1675, John 1680, Joseph 1683, Ann 1685, Mary 1689; Martha 1692 : his will 1724.
Ann m. Nicholas Byram 1708.
Mary m. first Nathaniel Reynolds, and then David Ames 1722.
Martha m. Ephraim Fobes 1714.
2. Thomas (s. of Thomas 1.) had Thomas 1696, Joseph, Abigail 1703, Betty 1705. He appeared to be in Mansfield 1726. He d.1739.
Betty m. Jonathan Copeland 1723.
Joseph was living with his grandfather 1721, who called him " the eldest surviving son of his son Thomas :" of course there had been other ss. who were dead, and also, it would seem, one other at least was living. No further account of Joseph or Abigail is obtained.
3. Josiah (s. of Thomas 1.) m. Anna, D. of Zechariah Alden of Duxbury, 1699, and had Josiah 1701, Abigail 1702, Zechariah 1704 : he d. 1753 ; she 1705.
Abigail m. Israel Sylvester of Duxbury 1734.
4. Samuel (s. of Thomas 1.) went to Tiverton, and was in Newport 1726, called a Tanner. He sold land in E. B. to Joseph Shaw 1705.
5. Amos (s. of Thomas 1.) settled in S. B., m. Mary, D. of Samuel Packard Jr., 1700, and had Mary 1700, Jemima 1704, Susanna 1706, Amos 1709, Daniel 1711, Moses 1713, Martha 1716, Charity 1719, Keziah 1727. He d. 1769, ae. 91.
Mary m. Hugh Mehuren 1725.
Jemima m. Benjamin Snow 1722.
Susanna m. Richard Davenport Jr.
Martha m. Jonathan Benson 1740.
Charity m. Silvanus Blossom 1738.
Keziah m. Benjamine Benson 1745.
6. John (s. of Thomas 1.) m. Susanna, D. of Samuel Packard Jr. 1715, and had John 1715*, Nathan 171S*, Samuel 1720*, Zebulun 1721*, Samuel 1723*, Susanna 1725, Silence 1728: he d. 1767.
Susanna m. Sam'l Willis 1747.
Silence m. Elijah Hayward 1751.
There was a John Snell (at Francis Wood's in S. B.) warned out 1735, called of Raynham ; perhaps of Thomas's or Samuel's family.
7. Joseph (s. of Thomas 1.) m. Hannah, D. of Thomas Williams of Taunton, 1712, (Rev. Mr. Keith m. her mother for his 2d wife) and had Joseph 1713, Mary 1716, Charles 1717, Jonathan 1718, Martha 1719*, Ann 1720*, Nath'l 1721, Solomon 1723*, Hannah 1724, Mehitabel 1727*, Seth 1729*, Seth 1730, Martha 1732. He was a Tanner, and d. 1736 ; she 1755.
Mary m. Abiah Keith 1737.
Hannah m. Nathan Keith 1746.
Martha m. Samuel Bisbee 1751.
8. Thomas (s. of Thomas 2.) m. Hannah Lewis of Mid'o. and settled in E. B., and had Deliverance 1727; Thomas 1730, Eleazar 1732, Joseph 1734*, Hannah 1735, Pollycarpus 1737, William 1740, Barnabas 1741 , Lewis 1745*, Seth 1747. : he d. 1772, ae. 76 ; she 1793, ae. 89.
Deliverance m. Nath'l Chamberlin (his 2d w.) 1767.
Thomas m. Bethiah, D. of James Allen, and went to Woolwich, Me., and left a family there.
Eleazar went to N. Y., and had a family there.
Hannah m. Benj. Chamberlin 1756.
Seth went to Warren, R. I., and left a large family.
9. Josiah (s. of Josiah 3.) m. Abigail, D. of John Fobes, 1728, and had Josiah 1730, Anna 1732, Elijah 1734, Mary 1736*, Abigail 1739*, Rhoda 1743, Nathan 1748.
Anna m. Edmund Hayward 1751.
Rhoda m. Elijah Copeland 1765.
10. Dea. Zechariah (s. of Josiah 3.) m. Abigail, D. of Dea. Joseph Hayward 1731, and was one of the early settlers in N. B., and had Issachar 1732, Abigail 1734, Zebedee 1736, Ebenezer 1738, Zechariah 1743*, Hannah 1745* : he d. 1768, ae. 64; she lived to a great age, between 90 and 100.
Abigail m. Robert Howard Jr. 1757.
11. Amos (s. of Amos 5.) m. Experience Washburn 1759, 2d wife perhaps, and had Isaiah, David, Isaac, and perhaps others.
Isaiah went to Me.
David m. Molly Bowcker 1783.
Isaac m. Rachel Reed of Pembroke 1800.
David and Isaac went to Ware.
Amos, by first w., went to Freetown.
Amos the father d. 1791, ae. 81.
12. Dr. Daniel (s. of Amos 5.) m. Joanna Harlow 1732, and had Daniel 1733, Susanna 1735, Joanna 1738, John 1741, Lydia 1743*, Keziah 1745, Lydia 1747, Sarah. 1749, Benjamin 1752, William 1754 : she d. 1795, ae. 82 ; he d. 1776.
Susanna m. Nathan Orcutt of E. B. a. 1756.
Joanna m. Jacob Hayward 3d 1759.
Keziah m. Jeremiah Washburn 1777.
Lydia never m.
Sarah m. Jeremiah Collins perhaps of R. I. 1771.
13. Moses (s. of Amos 5.) m. Mary Besse 1736, and had Mary 1737, Charity 1739, Moses 1741; Robert 1743.
Mary m. Nathan Rickard 1767.
Charity m. Elisha Washburn of Roxbury 1763.
Moses m. Hannah, D. of Nathaniel Washburn, 1763, and had 4 children, who all d. 1778, and Robert and Hannah.
Robert m. Joanna King of T. 1786.
Hannah m. Wm. Loring.
14. Joseph (s. of Joseph 7.) gra. H. U. 1735, engaged in no profession, lived in N. B., m. Anna Williams, and had Mary 1747, Joseph 1750, Olive 1753, Gilbert 1755 : he died 1791, ae. 78.
Olive m. James Alger 2d 1781.
Gilbert d. a bachelor.
15. Charles (s. of Joseph 7.) m. Susanna, D.. of Jonathan Packard, 1745, and lived in N. B., and had Mehitabel 1745*, Bathsheba 1747*, Jonathan 1749*, Silence 1750, Charles 1753, Nathaniel 1755, Susanna 1757, Hannah 1759, Reuben 1761*, Abigail 1765, Shepard 1770 : he d. 1771, ae. 54.
Silence m. Ebenezer Howard 1773.
Susanna m. Abiel Harris 1774.
Hannah m. Jonathan Keith 1777.
Abigail m. Capt. Leavit Thayer 1783.
Nathaniel, a bachelor.
16. Jonathan (s. of Joseph 7.) m. Martha, D. of Ephraim Fobes, 1751, and had Jonathan 1752, Martha 1753, Ephraim 1756, Thaddeus 1758, William 1760, Sarah and Ann 1762, Edward 1764*, Mary 1767, Caleb 1769.
Mary m. Martin Burr 1792.
17. Nathaniel (s. of Joseph 7.) gra. H. U. 1740, but engaged in no profession, kept school, and d. at Taunton a bachelor.
18. Pollycarpus (s. of Thomas 8.) m. Susanna, D. of Eben'r Shaw, 1766, and had Lewis 1767, Stephen 1769, Thos. 1772, C yrus 1774, Ebenezer 1776, d. 1804 ; Hannah 1779, d. 1808 ; Samuel 1781, Susanna 1785, d. 1809: he d. 1806, ae. 69 ; she 1817, ae. 73.
Thomas m. Susanna, D. of Joseph Allen 1792, and he and Lewis went to Ware.
Cyrus was a Physician and went to Me.
Samuel m. Phebe Cole 1810, and had Nathan T., Soranus, d. 1833, ae. 16 ; Elbridge, d. 1834, ae. 15 ; Edwin, Mary Anne*.
Nathan T. m. Harriet Frances, D. of Francis Cary.
19. William Esq. (son of Thomas 8.) m. Abigail, D. of Eleazar Alden, 1774, and had William 1776, Seth 1778, Smyrdus 1750, Eleazar 1784: he then removed to Ware, and thence to Tamworth, N. H., and had Alden and Martin. He was a soldier in the French war, and suffered much : lost the use of one leg : kept school, and was called here, master Snell.
Wm. m. Sarah Blossom.
Smyrdus m. Lucy, D. of Mark Phillips 1807.
20. Barnabas (s. of Thos. 8.) m. Eunice, D. of Gershom Conant, 1783, and had Anna 1785: she d. 1795, ae. 52 ; he 1816, ae. 75.
21. Capt. Josiah (s. of Josiah 9.) m. Susanna, D. of John Ames, 1752, and had Susanna 1754, Barnabas 1757, Abigail 1759. His wife d., and he m. Ruhamah, wid. of Jonas Hartwell 1763, and had Melzar 1764, Perez 1767, Ruhamah 1769, Josiah 1771, Hannah 1774, Lydia 1781 : he d. 1803.
Susanna m. Capt. Jedediah Willis 1775.
Barnabas m. Hannah Holmes of H. I781.
Abigail m. James Howard Jr. 1775.
Melzar m. Anna True of N. Y. 1769, and went to Me.
Hannah m. Jona. Upham of Canton 1799.
Lydia m. Henry- Withington 1801.
22. Dea. Elijah (s. of Josiah 9 ) m. Susanna, D. of Seth Howard, 1760, and had Huldah 1762, Bezer 1764, Calvin 1766, Susanna 1768, Rhoda 1770, Elijah 1772, Mehitabel and Parnel 1774, Abigail 1776, Ann 1778, Polly 1780, John Eliot 1783, Lucinda 1789. She d., and he m. Ann, wid. of Jonas Reynolds and D. of Luke Perkins.
Huldah m. Daniel Brett 1784.
Bezer gra. H. U. 1789, went to the south, and d. young.
Rhoda m. Charles Ames 1789.
Mehitabel m. Ebenezer Copeland Jr. 1798.
Abigail m. Capt. Lloyd Howard 1796.
Parnell m. Jesse Howard Jr. 1799.
The father and rest of the family went to Me.
23. Nathan (s. of Josiah 9.) m. Betty, D. of James Howard, 1770, and had Betty 1771, Mary 1774, Nathan 1776, Cyrus 1778, Chloe 1781, Luther 1783*,Vashti 1785, Abigail 1788, Rhoda 1791, Lentha 1794 : be d. 1802.
Betty m. Salmon Copeland 1799.
Mary m. Luke Perkins 1797.
Chloe m. Nehemiah Packard 1807.
Vashti m. Barzillai Cary 1808.
Abigail m. Eliphalet Packard 1814.
Rhoda m. Capt. Nahum Leonard 1812.
24. Issachar Esq. (s. of Zechariah 10.) m. Sarah, D. of Benjamin Hayward, 1769, and had Issachar, Mehitabel*, Abigail, Sarah, Hannah : he d. 1820, ae. 88.
Abigail m. Caleb Howard Esq. 1821 : his 2d wife.
Sarah m. Turner Torrey 1813.
Hannah m. Oakes Tirrell 1805.
25. Capt. Zebedee (s. of Zechariah 10.) m. Martha, D: of Ephraim Howard, 1761, and had Hannah 1762, Zechariah 1764, Oliver 1767, Martha 1769, Molly 1772. His wife d., and he m. Mary, D. of Benja. Hayward.: 1777, and had Abigail 1779, Zebed 1781, Lavinia 1783, Mary 179O.
Hannah m. Daniel Field 1786.
Martha m. William Reynolds 1791.
Molly m. Dr. Elisha Tilson 1792.
Lavinia m. Zibeon Brett 1804.
Mary m. Simeon Reynolds 1809.
26. Ebenezer Esq. (s. of Zechariah 10.) m. Sarah, D. of Capt. Abiel Packard, 1764, and removed to Cummington, and was the father of the Rev. Thomas Snell of N. Brookfield, and of a D. who m. Dr. Peter Bryant, and who was mother of Wm. Cullen Bryant, the Poet.
27. Daniel (s. of Daniel 12.) m. Abigail, D. of Zechariah Packard; 1753, and had Abigail 1754. He m. a 2d w. Mary, and had Joanna 1769, Daniel 1775.
28. John (s. of Daniel 12.) went into the French war and was killed at the Isle-aux-Noix 1760. He was the first inhabitant of the town of Bridgewater known to have been killed in battle. We find in the Rev. Samuel Angier's record of deaths the following entry Sept. 19th, 1777, "Capt. Jacob Allen and Abner Robinson were killed in battle near Stillwater, above Albany : before these there was no person of this town ever killed in battle except one John Snell, who was slain in the former war with France."
29. Ben jamin (s. of Daniel 12.) m. Rebecca, D. of Lot Conant, 1782, and had Rebecca, Benjamin, Susanna, and Stella.
Rebecca m. George Baker of Duxbury 1816.
Susanna m. John Carver a. 1823.
Capt. Benjamin and Stella not m.
30. William (s. of Daniel 12.) m. Eunice, D. of Henry Cary, 1781, and had Sarah, Henry, Robie and Joanna Harlow : he d. 1836.
Sarah m. Seth Alden 1800.
Henry m. Sarah, D. of Isaac Swift
Joanna m. Nathaniel Washburn : all d. but Henry.
31. Joseph (s. of Joseph 14.) m. wid. Hannah Cook of the Cape 1785, and had Anna 1785, Alfred 1788, Joseph Doane 1789, Abigail 1792, Luther 1793*, Hannah 1794, George Washington 1796, Azubah 1800, John Westly 1802 : she died 1817.
Anna m. Charles Hunt of Dorchester perhaps 1806.
32. Charles (s. of Charles 15.) m. Mary, D. of Matthew Kingman, 1778, and had Alven 1778, Matthew 1780, Cyrus 1787, Polly 1789*. He m. wid. Rebecca Packard 1807.
Alven m. Abigail Bryant 1798.
Cyrus m. Susanna Shaw of Ab. 1819.
33. Shepard (s. of Charles 15.) m. Amy, D. of Jeremiah Thayer, 1794, and had Nancy 1795*, Susanna 1797, Ansel 1800, Royal 1802.
Susanna m. John B. Harris perhaps 1818.
34. Capt. Ephraim (s. of Jonathan 16.) m. Anna, D. of James Keith, 1750, and had Amelia 1780, Jonathan 1782, Patty 1784, Semantha 1786, Bathsheba 1788, Anna 1790. He then m. Hannah, widow of Josiah Williams and D. of Jonathan Kingman, 1792, and had Polly 1794, Hannah 1795, Ephraim 1600. He d., and the wid. then m. Caleb Snell 1808.
Amelia m. Salmon Howard 1799.
Jonathan m. Nabhy, D. of John Hudson, 1849.
Patty m. Daniel Hudson 1806.
Semantha m. Sidney Keith 1806.
Polly m. Damon Kingman 1814.
35. Caleb (s. of Jonathan 16.) m. Sarah, D. of Jonathan Bailey, 1799, and had Sarah and Ann 1800, Edwin 1804, Catharine 1806*. She died 1807, and he m. Hannah, wid. of his brother Ephraim, and previously wid. of Josiah Williams, and D. of Jonathan Kingman 1808.
36. Stephen (s. of Pollycarpus 18.) m. Patty Cole 1796, and had Augustus 1797, Cyrus 1800, Lucius 1801, Edward 1803, Emeline 1805*, Susanna Shaw 1809, Emeline 1811, Laura Anne 1813, Lauren 1818.
Augustus m. an Eaton of Mid'o.
Cyrus m. Catharine Conday in Boston, and d. 1826, ae. 26.
Lucius d. 1832, ae. 39.
37. Perez (s. of Josiah 21.) m. Hannah, D. of Samuel Kinsley, 1786, and had Perez 1789, Martin 1792, Apollos 1795.
38. Capt. Josiah (s. of Josiah 21.) and his w. Lucy had John Root 1803, Josiah 1806.
39. Calvin (s. of Dea. Elijah 22.) m. Polly, D. of Jacob Packard, 1785, and had Harrison 1786, Roxana 1788, Rhoda 1791, and went to Maine with his father.
40. Elijah (s. of Dea. Elijah 22.) m. Abby, D. of Ebenezer Copeland, 1796, and had Bezer 1797, Noble 1798, Abby Godfrey 1801, and went to Me. with the rest of the family.
41. Nathan (s. of Nathan 23.) m. Abigail, D. of Maj. James Keith, 1800, and had Luther 1800, Minerva 1803, Edward 1804.
42. Cyrus (s. of Nathan 23.) m. Betsy Keith 1801, and had Nahum 1803, Cyrus 1805. He and his w. both d. 1805.
43. Dr. Issachar (s. of Issachar Esq. 24.) gra. H. U. 1797, m. Mary, D. of Simeon Keith, 1799, and had Camilla 1800, Thomas 1802, Willard 1803. He removed to Winthrop, Me.
44. Zechariah (s. of Capt. Zebedee 25.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Zechariah Sylvester of Duxbury, 1793, and had Samuel 1794, Sidney 1795*, Zechariah 1797*, Elbridge Gerry 1799, Daniel 1801, Mebitabel 1803, Patty Howard 1805, Zechariah 1807, Cephas 1810, David 1812, Susanna 1814 : he d. 1819.
Samuel m. Ruth Reed of Ab. perhaps 1813.
David J. Snell d. at Carlinville, Illinois, July 17, 1838.
45. Oliver (s. of Capt. Zebedee 25.) m. Hannah, D. of Jeremiah Beal, 1792, and had Oliver 1793, Jeremiah 1796, Hannah 1795, Isaac 1801, Polly Tilson 1804, Rachel 1807, Asa Ford 1810, Patty Howard 1812.
Jeremiah m. Sally Holbrook perhaps 1819.
Hannah perhaps m. Gordon Stone of Easton 1821.
46. Zebedee (s. of Capt. Zebedee 25.) m. Hannah, D. of Job Ames, 1804, and had Lavinia Dike 1804, Mary Ames 1806, Silence Perry 180S, Enos Tilson 1812, Job Ames 1814, Ethan Carver 1815.
47. Matthew (s. of Charles 32.) m. Susanna, wid. of Charles Southworth, and D. of Abiel Harris of A., 1806, and had. Nath'l 1807, Jane Whitman 1809, Henry 1812 : he d. 1839, ae. 59.
Lucy m. Whitcomb Stetson of Abington 1796.
Lydia m. Jona. Dawes 1772.
John and Philippa Snell of Boston had Susanna 1659, Anna 1661, John 1663, (2d wife Hannah), Simon 1667. His will,1669, mentions his brother Simon of London.
Hannah Snell b. at Hingham 1689.
George Snell of Portsmouth mariner, and his w. Hannah 1698.
William Snow was an Apprentice to Mr. Richard Derby 1637, and by him brought over out of England, and assigned over to Edward Doten 1638, to serve him seven years" at Plymouth. He was of course 21 years old in 1645, and we find bis name among those able to bear arms at Plymouth 1643.
Nicholas Snow was at Plymouth 1623, and went to Eastham 1642.
Anthony Snow was at Plymouth 1638, and afterwards at Marshfield, and both appear to have left families ; but it is not ascertained that William had any connection with either of them.
William settled early in Duxbury, but probably was not a house-holder, or not m. in 1645, when the grant of this plantation to Duxbury was made, and therefore his name is not found among the original proprietors ; but he became a proprietor, and was among the first settlers of the town, in W. B., and took the oath of fidelity among the first in 1657: his will dated 1699, proved 1708: he d. ae. a. 84, and had been taken care of. by his s. William. His wife's name was Rebeckah, but her family name not family name not given: his children were Williamn James, Joseph, Benjamin Mary, Lydia, Hannah, and Rebeckah.
James d. in the Canada expedition 1690.
No account of the Ds.
2. William (s. of William 1.) m. Naomi, D. of Thomas Whitman, 1686, and had Bethiah 1688, James 1691, Susanna 1694, William 1697, Eleazar 1701, John 1704: his estate settled 1726.
Bethiah m. Elisha Hayward 1721.
Susanna m. Israel Alger 1717.
No further account of James.
3. Joseph (s. of William 1.) and his w. Hopestill had Joseph 1690, Mary 1691, James 1693, Rebeckah 1696, Isaac 1700, Jonathan and David 1703: he d. 1753.
Mary m. Joseph Lathrop 1718.
Rebeckah m. Thomas Wade 1722.
4. Benjamin (s. of William 1.) m. Elizabeth, D. of Joseph Alden 1693, and had Rebeckah 1694, Benjamin 1696, Solomon 1698, Ebenezer 1702, Elizabeth 1705. His w. d. 1705, and he m. Sarah, wid. of Jonathan Cary and D. of Samuel Allen, 1705, and had Sarah 1706: he d 1743.
Rebeckah m. a Campbell.
Elizabeth m. Joseph Carver 1725
Sarah m. Nathaniel Pratt, and was dead at the date of her father's will 1743, having left a s. Seth (Dea. Seth Pratt).
Solomon m Bathsheha Mehurinn 1724.
5. William (s. of William 2.) m. Mary Washburn 1722, and had William 1723, Seth 1725, James 1729, Mary 1731, Susanna 1736.
Mary m. Samuel Dunbar 1758.
6. Eleazar (s. of William 2.) m. Mercy King 1728, and had Betty 1729, Reuben 1731, Eleazar 1734, Mercy 1737, Daniel 1742 : she d. 1789; he d. 1796.
Betty m. Nathan Ames 1751, and then William Tolman 1757, and afterwards Micah White.
Mercy m. Jacob Johnson of St. 1760.
7. John (s. of William 2.) m. Hannah, D. of Elisha Hayward, 1731 : no children : she d. 1750, ae. 45 : he then m. Hannah, wid. of Stoughton Willis (she was a Harlow) 1756, and had Sarah 1758, John 1762.
8. Joseph (s. of Joseph 3.) and his w. Elizabeth, had Joseph 1715, James 1717, Elizabeth 1719, Susanna 1722, Sarah 1725, Daniel 1727. He went to Easton a. 1730, and afterwards to Providence ; was.called Deacon 1738 in a deed he gave to Caleb Phillips.
Joseph was a Preacher, and settled in Providence ; Mr. Wilson afterwards in 1793, was settled as colleague with him.
9. James (s. of Joseph 3.) lived in E. B. and m. Ruth, D. of Joseph Shaw a. 1719, and had Ruth 1720, Abijah 1722, Mary 1724, Nathan 1725, Abigail 1727, Susanna 1729, Jedediah 1731, Sarah 1732, John 1736, James 1742, by his 2d wife Hannah Hovey.
Ruth m. Perez Bonney 1739.
Nathan m. Mary Mansfield perhaps 1748, and went to Abington, and John also moved away.
No account of .Tedediah.
Abigail m. John Egerton 1746, and Jonathan Beal 1780.
Susanna m. Abijah Edson 1747.
Sarah m. Benjamin Harris 1751.
Abijah m. Sarah Porter of Abington.
Nathan Jr. went to Cummington.
10. Isaac (s. of Joseph 3.) m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Shaw, 1722, and lived in E. B., and had Hannah 1723, Isaac 1726, Martha 1728, Peter 1731, Joseph 1734*, Judith 1736. He d. 1737, and she m. John Whitman 1743.
Hannah m. Joseph Robinson 1759, his 2d w.
Martha m. Capt. Simeon Whitman 1750.
Peter went to Harvard.
Judith m. John Barrell 1756.
11. Jonathan (s. of Joseph 3.) m. Ruth Soule, and afterwards a 2d w. Sarah, and had Samuel 1729, Jesse 1731, Sarah 1732, Rebecca 1734, Jonathan 1736, Moses 1737, Aaron 1740.
Jonathan m. Betty Packard 1761.
Sarah m. Nath'l Packard 1753.
This family went to Mid'o.
Sam'l Snow m. Betty Perkins 1775.
12. David (s. of Joseph 3.) m. Joanna, D. of Joseph Hayward, 1731, and had David 1732*, Joseph 1734, Joanna 1735, Mehitabel 1737*, Lydia 1740, Rhoda 1742 : she d. 1794, ae. 90.
Joanna m. Nathaniel Edson 1759.
Lydia m. John Whitman 1764.
Rhoda m. Ezra Whitman 1768.
13. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 4.) m. Jemima, D, of Amos Snell, 1722, and settled in S. Bridge, and had Jemima 1723, Benja. 1724, Elijah 1728, Elizabeth 1739, Charity 1733*, Lucy 1735, Amos 1738, Joseph 1740*, Seth 1743*, Joseph 1.746*: he d. 1760, ae. 65.
Jemima m. Elijah Leach 1745.
14. Ebenezer (s. of Benjamin 4.) m. Sarah, D. of Joseph Pratt, a. 1728, and had Ebenezer 1729, Nathaniel 1731, Sarah 1733, Caleb 1736. She died 1737, and he m. Sarah, wid. of Stephen Leach and D. of John Hooper, 1737, and had Solomon 1741, Rebecca 1742, Zebedee 1743, John, Eli, and Mary. He went to R. a. 1751, and m. a wid. Wilber for a 3d wife, but had no children by her.
Solomon m. Elizabeth, D. of Eleazar Cary, 1789, and had Elizabeth. Solomon, and William.
Caleb was in the French war, 1755, with Gen'l Winslow.
Zebedee went to Scituate, R. I., and had Zebedee, Solomon, and William.
15. Ebenezer (s. of Ebenezer next above) m. Betty Hooper, and had. Sarah 1751, Betty 1753, Lydia 1755, Susanna 1757, Eunice 1759, and Ebenezer, who m. Sarah, D. of Joseph Pool, 1783. This family lived in R.
16. William (s. of William 5.) m. Hannah, D. of Nathan Hill, 1743, and had Calvin 1749, Salome 1751 he d. 1755.
Calvin m. Hannah, D. of Ephraim Churchill, 1784.
William Snow's wife d. in S. B. 1774.
Wm. Snow m. Jerusha, D. of David Hill, 1776.
17. Seth (s. of William 5.) m. Betty, D. of Jona. Sprague, and had Simeon 1750, Betty 1752, Seth 1755, Jonathan 1757, Lydia 1759*.
Elizabeth Snow m. Josiah Washburn 1775.
18. James (s. of William 5.) m. Mary, D. of Timothy Edson, 1758, and had Eliab 1759, James 1761, and d. 1762.
Eliab m. Lydia Snow 1782, and Eliab Snow m. Dorcas, D. of Ephraim Churchill, 1787
James m. Rebecca Alden of Tit. probably 1789.
19. Reuben (s. of Eleazar 6.) m. Hannah, D. of Stoughton Willis 1768, and had Rhoda 1769, and went to Easton.
20. Eleazar (s. of Eleazar 6.) m. Mary, D. of John Wood, 1757, and settled in N. B., and bad Mary 1757, Eleazar 1759, Priscilla 1761, Jonathan, Silas, Betsy, Sarah, Zevina, Mercy, Phebe : he died 1797, ae. 64.
Eleazar m. Hannah, D. of Jacob Dunbar, 1750, and settled in the State of New York.
Mary m. Seth Snow 1778.
Priscilla m. Simeon Snow 1779.
Sarah m. a Merritt.
Zevina m. Jonathan Snow of N. Y. 1799.
Mercy m. Nathaniel Wilmouth 1795.
Phebe m. Moses Crafts 1799.
21. Daniel Esq. (s. of Eleazar 6.) m. Hannah, D. of Samuel Dunbar, 1764, and had Hannah 1765, Daniel 1767, Silvia 1769*, Sarah 1771*, Mehitabel, 1773*, Nathan 1776, Cyrus 1778, Sarah 1780, Melatiah 1782. His w. d. 1812, and he and all his family went to Maine.
Hannah m. Benjamin Alger of Easton 1785.
Melatiah m. Abiathar Wethrell of Easton 1807.
Nathan, a bachelor.
Sarah m. a Hill in Readfield, Me.
22. John (s. of John 7.) m. Mary, D. of James Ames, 1784, and had David 1785, John 1787, Sarah 1789, Charles 1791, George 1794, Lucy 1798 : his wife d. 1819.
John m. Rebecca Lathrop 1811 , and had Edward James 1811.
Sarah m. William Dunbar 1807.
Charles m. Hannah Place 1820.
Lucy m. Benjamin Randall 1819. He m. a 2d w. Hannah, wid. of Nathaniel Perkins and D. of Edmund Hayward 1821.
23. Isaac (s. of Isaac 10.) m. Elizabeth, D. of William Bowditch, 1748, and had Mary 1749, and went to Haverhill.
24. Joseph (s. of David 12.) m. Ruth. D. of Dea. Zechariah Shaw, 1759, and had Sarah 1759, David 1761, Daniel 1763, Mehitabel 1767, Ruth 1769, Joseph 1772, Moses 1775. This family went to Brookfield.
David m. Jemima, D. of Jacob Hayward, 1787, and had Vashti 1790, Experience 1791, David 1793, and then went to Brookfield.
Sarah m. Silvanus Hayward 1781.
Daniel m. Sally Allen at Brookfield 1792.
Mehitabel m. Seth Richards 1791.
Joseph m. Tainzin, D. of John Richards, 1795, and then went to Brookfield.
25. Daniel (s. of Benjamin 13.) m. Abigail, D. of Joshua Fobes, 1753, and had Abigail 1754, Daniel 1756, Hosea 1758, Joseph 1760, Lucy 1762, Barzillai 1765, Azariah 1768, John 1770.
26. Elijah (s. of Benjamin 13.) m. Sarah, D. of Samuel Dunbar 1767, and lived in Titicut, and had Sarah 1770, who m. Jacob Lathrop 1787, and a son Benjamin : his wife died 1779 ; he 1792.
27. Simeon (s. of Seth 17.) m. Priscilla, D. of Eleazar Snow, 1779, and had Simeon 1781*, Betty 1783, Priscilla 1785, Lavinia 1787, Hepzibah 1789, Shepard 1791, Phebe 1793, Zibeon 1795, Roxiliana 1797, and went to Whitestown, N. Y.
28. Seth (s. of Seth 17.) m. Mary, D. of Eleazar Snow, 1778, and had Seth 1789, Barnabas 1782, Polly 1785, Cyrus 1787, Asenath 1789, Elijah 1792, Perez 1795, Zerviah 1796, and went to Whitestown, N. Y.
29. Jonathan (s. of Seth 17.) went to N. Y., and probably m. Zevina, D. of Eleazar Snow, 1799.
30. Jonathan Esq. (s. of Eleazar 20.) m. Huldah Snow, and had Huldah 1786, Jonathan 1788, Salmon 1789*, Caleb 1790*, Susanna 1793, Sprague 1795, Sebrina 1797, Martin 1799, Olive 1800, Thomas Jefferson 1803, Relief 1805.
Huldah m. Stillman Willis 1809.
Jonathan m. Sally, D. of Nathan Bryant, 1810.
Susanna m. Jeremiah Hickson of St. 1809.
Sprague m. Nancy Kingman of Mansfield 1820.
Sebrina m. John Sealy of Easton 1818.
Martin m. Ann Wilbor 1821.
Thos. J. gra. B. U. 1823.
31. Silas (s. of Eleazar 20.) m. Hannah, D. of Ephraim Cole, 1800, and had Austin 1802, Linus 1804*, Silence 1808, Mary 1811, Lurin 1814.
32. Daniel (s. of Daniel .Esq. 21.) m. Hannah Richmond of Mid'o. 1790, and went to Union, Maine, and had Ansel, Azel, Philip, Oliver, Silvia, Hannah, Harriet, Elizabeth, Sarah.
Ansel lives in Appleton.
Azel m. a D. of Thomas Johnson of New Gloucester, and lived in N. York, and now lives in Boston, an Apothecary.
The Ds. are all m. and live in Me. [this was pub. in 1840].
33. Cyrus (s. of Daniel Esq. 21.) m. Ruth Makepeace of Norton 1801, and had Ruth Makepeace 1802, Angelina 1803, Deborah 1805, Hannah Dunbar 1807. He went to Franklin.
34. Seth (s. of Nath'l of Orleans) settled in N. B. 1783, m. Anna, D. of Josiah Packard, 1795, and had Josiah*, Nathaniel, Sally*, Achsah*, Hannah*, and Mary. His wife d. 1820, and he m. wid. Sarah Norton, D. of Ephraim Noyes.
Hannah m. Benj. Mehuren 1767.
Lydia m. Eliab Snow 1782.
Bethiah m. Samuel Warren Jr. of Mid'o. 1770.
Molly m. John Wade 1791.
Sarah m. Daniel Tomson 1794.
Hannah m. Heman Linnel 1797.
Ruth of Eastham m. Levi Packard 1789.
Hannah m. Jonathan Bolton 1794.
James m. Freelove Monk of St. 1794.
Zilpha m. David Bolton 1794.
Eunice m. Alfred Edson 1796.
Mehitabel of Easton m. Asa Bryant 1810.
Betsy m. Asa Bryant 1811.
Elijah Snow of E. B. m. Sarah Shaw 1790.
Samuel Soper m. Esther Littlefield 1731, and lived in W. B., and had Edmund 1731, Hannah 1733, Asa 1734, Sam'l 1736, Esther 1735, Oliver 1740, Amasa 1742, Salter 1744, Sarah 1745, James 1747, Silence 1750.
Esther, mother or D., m. Seth Briggs of Berkley a. 1754.
Hannah m. Daniel Pettingill 1750.
2. Edmund (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Bethiah (or Betty), D. of Ephraim Fobes, 1754, and had Betty 1755. His w. d., and be m. Eunice, D. of Capt. Theophilus Curtis of St. 1756, and bad Mehitabel 1757, Edmund 1759, Eunice 1761.
3. Amasa (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Ruth Dwelly 1763, and had Huldah 1764, Olive 1766, Amasa 1765, Martin 1772.
Capt. Nathaniel Soper of Hanson (s. of Alexander) m. Betty Price 1779.
Mary Soper m. Daniel Hartwell Jr. 1821.
John Sorein and his w. Mary had John in E. B. 1735, and went to Boston.
Dea. John Soule m. Sarah, D. of Thomas Leach, and settled in E. B., and had William Norman 1808, and Elizabeth 1809.
Ebenezer Soule of Plympton m. Silence, D. of William Hudson 1764.
Asaph of Plymp. m. Marah, D. of William Hudson, 1767.
A D. of Ebenezer Whitman of S. B. m. a Soule.
Wm. Soule m. Rachel Dillingham 1791.
Rebecca m. Sampson Washburn 1805.
Nathan Soule, brother of Rebecca, m. Charity, D. of Uriah Brett, 1815.
Wid. Joanna, mother of Nathan and Rebecca, m. Nathan Alden Esq. 1818.
Widow Alice Southworth arrived at Plymouth 1623, in the third ship, called the Ann, and soon after was married to Gov. William Bradford : she had two ss. by her first husband, to wit : Constant and Thomas Southworth, who came with her or soon afterwards, and were quite young ; Thomas not more than six years old. They both became distinguished men in the colony : Constant settled in Duxbury, and was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater, and d. 1678, leaving three sons, Edward, Nathaniel, and William ; and three married Ds. viz: Mercy, w. of Samuel Freeman, Alice, wife of the famous Capt. Benjamin Church, distinguished in Philip's war, and Mary, wife of David Alden, and two unmarried Ds., Elizabeth and Priscilla.
Thomas left an only child Elizabeth, who m. Joseph Howland.
Elizabeth, D. of Constant, afterwards m. William Fobes.
Nathaniel "had land towards Taunton, called Freemen's land," perhaps in Mid'o.
Edward, of Mid'o. perhaps, s. of Nathaniel, had 4 ss., Constant, Edward, Lemuel and Benjamin, .who all settled early in N. B.
Sarah Southworth of Mid'o. m. Eleazar Washburn Jr. a. 1771.
Sarah Southworth m. Peter Edson 1745.
1. Constant (s. of Edward) m. Martha, D. of Joseph Keith, 1734, and had Betsy 1735, Nathaniel 1737, Ezekiel 1739, Martha* and Mary 1741*, Desire 1742*, Jedediah 1745, Constant 1747*, Sarah 1749, Ichabod 1751*: he d. 1775, ae. 64.
Betsy m. Joseph Cole 1757.
Sarah d. single.
Jedediah m. an Atherton, and settled in St., and had Constant and Consider.
2. Edward (s. of Edward) m. Lydia, D. of John Packard, 1750, and had Uriah 1751, Perez 1754, Desire 1756, Edward 1758, Abiah 1760, Bridget 1762, Lydia 1764, Avis 17 68, Fear 1770. They all moved to Pelham except Perez.
Uriah m. Patience Goodspeed of Easton 1773.
3. Lemuel (s. of Edward) m. Patience West 1757, and had Mehitabel 1753, Hannah 1760*, Patience 1763.
Mehitabel m. John Gurney 1777.
4. Benjamin (s. of Edward) m. Mary Smith 1763, but had no children. He d., and his wid. m. Zechariah Gurney 1800.
5. Nathaniel (s. of Constant 1.) m. Catharine, D. of David Howard, 1762, and had Martha 1764*, Simeon 1766, Nathaniel 1769, David 1773*. His wife d. 1775, and he m. Jennet, D. of Simeon Brett, 1777, and had Catharine : he d. 1788, and his wid. m. Ephraim Groves I789.
Catharine nn. Ambrose Keith 1796.
Nathaniel m. Patience, D. of William Shaw, 1793, and went to Lyme, N. H.
6. Ezekiel (s. of Constant 1.) m. Mary Newman 1761, and had Molly 1762, Ichabod Keith 1764, Constant 1767, and then went westward.
7. Perez (s. of Edward 2.) m. Eunice, D. of Matthew Kingman, a. 1780, and had Harmony 1781; Hannah 1782, John 1784, Edward 1786, Martin 1788, Azel 1790*, Benjamin 1791, Perez and Eunice 1793, Polly 1796, Sophronia 1798, Lucy 1800.
Harmony m. Dea. Seth Alden 1802.
Hannah m. John Ames 1802.
Eunice, m. Daniel Alden 1815.
Sophronia m. Alva Noyes.
Lucy m. Orman Cole.
John m. Eliza, D. of Luther Hayward, 1806, and went to New Bedford.
Col. Edward m. Rhoda, D. of Robert . Howard, 1815.
Martin m. Ruth, D. of Capt. Robert Packard, 1811.
Benjamin m. Content, D. of Dea. Eben. Packard, 1819, and went to Winthrop, Me.
Perez m. Betty, D. of Capt. Lot Leach of St. 1821.
8. Simeon (s. of Nathaniel 5.) m. Elizabeth Anderson 1759, and had Alva 1791, Justin 1793, and went to Ward.
Charles m. Susanna, D. of Abiel Harris, 1794, and Matthew Snell 1806.
Reuma m. Otis Howard 1818.
Francis Sprague was one of the forefathers, and arrived at Plymouth 1623 in the ship Ann : he settled in Duxbury, and was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater, but did not, nor did any of his family, come to reside here : he had John, Anna, Mary and Mercy.
John m. Ruth Bassett 1655, and had John, William, Samuel, Eliza, Ruth, Desire, and Dorcas.
Mercy m. William Tubbs 1637.
William d. at Dux. 1712, leaving a wid. Grace, and ss. Jethro and Terah, and Ds. Ruth and Zerviah.
Samuel went to Rochester and d. there 1723, leaving a wid. Elizabeth, and a s. Ephraim, and perhaps others.
The Spragues of Fairhaven, and the South Shore generally, descended probably from Francis. There was no known connection between him and the following families.
Ralph, Richard, and William Sprague, were among the first comers and settlers in Massachusetts Colony in 1628. They were brothers, and settled at Charlestown, from whence William, the youngest, removed to Hingham. Hosea Sprague of Hingham, one of the descendants of William, has lately presented the public with such a full and particular genealogy of the Sprague family, that it is necessary here only to give some account of William, from whom the Spragues in this town are descended.
William Sprague of Hingham m. Millesaint, D. of Anthony Eames, and had Anthony 1635, John 1638, Samuel 1640, Elizabeth 1641, Persis 1643, Joanna 1644, Jonathan 1648, William 1650, Mary 1652, Hannah 1655 : he d. 1675.
Anthony remained at Hingham, and d. 1719.
John went to Mendon, and d. 1690.
Samuel went to Marshfield, and d. 1709 ; was Secretary of the Colony, and great-grandfather of the Hon. Seth Sprague sen'r of Duxbury.
Jonathan d. at Hingham, and left no posterity.
William m. Deborah Lane 1674, and went to Providence.
Persis m. John Dogget.
Joanna m. Caleb Church.
Mary m. Thos. King.
William of Providence had william, Joanna, Deborah, Jonathan, Abiah, John, Benjamin.
1. Jonathan (s. of william of Providence) m. Lydia Leavit of Hingham, and settled in S. B., and had Lydia 1715, Hannah 1717, Jonathan. 1720, Mary 1722, Sarah 1725*, John 1727, Content 1729, Betty 1731, Benjamin 1736 : his will 1748.
Lydia m. Solomon Perkins 1733.
Hannah m. Solomon Bates.
Jonathan went to Stafford, Conn.
Mary m. Nathan Edson 1735.
Content m. a Howard of Dartmouth.
Betty m. Seth Snow a. 1749.
2. John (s. of Jonathan 1.) m. Susanna Cobb 1746, and had John 1746, and went to Block Island.
3. Benjamin (s. of Jonathan 1.) m. Eunice, D. of Ephraim Holmes, 1762, and had Ephraim 1763, Benjamin, Lydia 1777. He d. 1776, of the small pox, ae. 42, and she m. Solomon Ames 1781, and became a wid. again, and d. 1833, ae. 92.
Lydia m. Capt. Asa Pratt 1799.
4. Capt. Ephraim (s. of Benjamin 3.) m. Vina, D. of Ezra Edson, 1783, and had Holmes 1783, Ephraim 1787, Eunice 1790, Vina 1799, and d. 1815 ; Chloe 1804, Mira 1806.
Ephraim m. Jane, D. of Joseph Ames, 1813, and went to Bristol, R. I.
Eunice m. Calvin Washburn 1809.
Mira m. John Washburn, and afterwards the Hon. John A. Shaw.
5. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 3.) m. Priscilla Churchill 1786, and had Benjamin 1790, Friend 1792*, Lydia 1799, George 1801.
Lydia m. Barna Leonard Jr. 1815.
George went to N. York, and thence to Florida.
6. Capt. Holmes (s. of Capt. Ephraim 4.) m. Betsy, D. of Daniel Copeland, 1805, and had Ephraim Holmes 1809, Betsy Copeland 1812, Edgar 1815, Caleb Cary 1819.
Ephraim H. m. Lois, D. of Nath'l Washburn.
7. Benjamin (s. of Benjamin 5.) m. Lucy, D. of Joseph Ames, 1818, and had Benjamin and Fisher Ames.
John of Abington m. Rebecca, D. of John Alden of E. B. 1767.
Capt. Miles Standish (one of the forefathers), the renowned soldier, and shield and defence of the pilgrims, came over in the first ship, the May Flower, in 1620 : he lived in Plymouth till 1630, when he removed to Duxbury, and d. there 1656, ae. 72 : he was an original, proprietor of Bridgewater, and a principal member of the committee who purchased the plantation of Massasoit (orOusamequin), the Indian Sachem, in 1649 : his w. Rose d. the next spring after their arrival, in 1621, and he m. a 2d w. Barbara, who survived him : his children were Alexander, Miles, Josiah, Charles, Lora, and John.
Lora d. before him. He lived and died at the foot of the hill named after him " Captain's Hill."
2. Alexander (s. of Capt. Miles 1.) was made a freeman 1648, and lived on the paternal estate, at Captain's Hill, in Duxbury : he m. first Sarah, D. of the Hon. John Alden, and had Miles, Ebenezer, Lorah, Lydia, Mercy, Sarah, and Elizabeth : his wife d., and he then m. Desire, wid. of Israel Holmes, (formerly wid. of William Sherman, her maiden name Doten), and had Thomas, Ichabod, and Desire born in Marshfield 1689 : be d. in Duxbury 1702 ; she in Marshfield 1723. She named her children thus : William Sherman, John Holmes, Israel Holmes, Hannah Ring, Experience [wife of Miles] Standish, Desire Weston, and g. D. Desire Wermall.
Lorah m. Abraham Sampson.
Lydia m. Isaac Sampson.
Mercy m. Caleb Sampson.
Sarah m. Benjamin Soule,
and Elizabeth m. Samuel Delano.
There was a David Standish killed in Duxbury by the fall of a tree in 1689 ; perhaps a s. of Alexander.
3. Miles (s. of Capt. Miles 1.) m. Sarah, D. of John Winslow, and went to Boston, where he d. a. 1666 ; and his wid. m. Tobias Payne 1669, and afterwards Mr. Richard Middlecot.
4. Ens. Josiah Standish (2d s. of Capt. Miles of Duxbury) lived in East Bridgewater, and first m. Mary, D. of John Dingley of Marshfield, a. 1654, who died the same year, and he then m. Sarah, D. of Sam'l Allen of Braintree and sister of Sam'l Allen of E. B. He soon removed back to Duxbury, where be became a Captain, Selectman, Deputy, and one of the council of war : he removed thence to Norwich, in Conn., probably a. 1686 : he had Miles, Josiah, and other children perhaps. His descendants are also in New York, among whom Samuel has been a given name for several generations. He bought 150 acres of John Parks of Preston, Conn. 1697.
5. Charles (s. of Capt. Miles 1.) we have no account of: his name does not appear in the records after his father's will in 1655 : perhaps he d. young.
6. John (son of Capt. Miles 1.) was named in the division of cattle, on the Colony records, in 1627, and we have obtained no further account of him. He no doubt d. young, as he was not named in his father's will in 1655.
7. Miles (s. of Alexander 2.) remained on the paternal estate at Captain's Hill, and d. there 1739. He m. Experience, D. of his mother-in-law by one of her first husbands (Sherman or Holmes), and had Miles, Sarah, Patience, Priscilla and Penelope ; the two last minors.
Miles went to Bridgewater.
Sarah m. Abner Weston.
Patience m. Caleb Jenny of Dartmouth 1735.
Priscilla m. Elisha Bisbee perhaps of Pembroke.
Penelope d. single at Duxbury 1740.
The mother Experience survived her husband, and was perhaps the last of the family who resided at Captain's Hill.
8. Ebenezer (s. of Alexander 2.) lived in Plympton, and had Ebenezer, Zechariah, Moses, Hannah, Zeruiah, Sarah, and Mercy. He and his s. Ebenezer both died a. 1748.
Zerviah Standish m. Zebedee Tomson of Halifax 1745.
Ebenezer Jr. m. a Churchill 1739.
Sarah Standish m. Josiah Cushman Jr. 1749.
Mercy Standish m. Ebenezer Lobdell at Plympton 1736 : her 2d husband was Benjamin Weston : she d. 1794, ae. 78.
9. Thomas (s. of Alexander 2.) born a. 1687, first settled in Marshfield, and thence removed to Pembroke, where his name appears in 1718 : his wife Mary : they had David at Marshfield, and perhaps Amos ; Thomas at Pembroke 1725; Mary 1733, William 1737, Betty 1739, recorded by Daniel Lewis in Pembroke 1742 as the children of Thomas and Mary Standish.
David m. Hannah Magoun 1746, and died 1793, leaving David, Lemuel, and several other children.
Lemuel went to Bath, m. Rachel Jackson, and had David 1777, and Lemuel, and one other son, and d. 1824, ae. 78.
Amos Standish, an adult, was bap. at Marshfield 1742 (or 1746.)
Thomas m. Martha Bisbee 1748.
Thomas Jr. d. in Pembroke 1780.
There was a Miles Standish d. in Pembroke a. 1793, whose will is on record.
10. Ichabod (s. of Alexander 2.) m. Phebe Ring of Plymouth 1719: he was the man probably, a cooper, who died at Halifax . 1772, leaving 3 Ds. Mary, Phebe, and Desire who m. David Hatch.
11. Miles Standish (s. of Miles 7.) m. Mehitaber Robbins, probably of Plymouth, 1739, and removed from Duxbury to S. B. and had Miles, Experience, Penelope, Hannah, and others perhaps : he d. 1784, ae. 80. Miles m. Naomi, D. of Daniel Keith, 1774, and had Miles, and went to Pennsylvania a. 1780.
Experience m. Simeon Ames 1765.
Penelope m. Nathaniel Cobb Jr. of Plymp. 1763.
HannaH m. Daniel Fobes 1769.
12. Zechariah (s. of Ebenezer 8.) had Ebenezer, Hannah, Sarah, Abigail, Peleg, Zechariah. Zechariah Standish died at Plympton a. 178O.
Col. John Standish of Plattsburgh, N. Y., s. of a Doctor Standish, formerly of Plympton, was a descendant of Zechariah.
Abigail Standish m. Samuel Wright 1752 : she was mother of Caleb Leach's wife.
Sarah Standish m. Josiah Cushman Jr. 1749.
13. Moses (s. of Ebenezer S.) and his wife Rachel had Moses, John, Aaron, Rachel, and Rebecca : he died 1769, ae. 80.
John Standish was drowned at Plymouth 1787.
Rebecca Standish m. Zechariah Weston 1751.
Rachel and Hannah Standish were both m. at Plympton a. 1740.
14. Ebenezer (s. of Zechariah 12 perhaps) had Mary, Ebenezer, Averick, and Shadrach.
Shadrach d. at New Bedford 1837, ae. 92 : he m. Mary Churchill 1771, and had 3 ss. and 5 Ds., and 141 descendants. The Rev. Mr. Holmes preached a funeral sermon at his death, and therein stated that Capt. Miles Standish, the ancestor, was 54 years old when he arrived at Plymouth and 93 when he died ; but the d. Oct. 3, 1656, ae. about 72, according to the account given of it by the late Samuel Davis Esq. and history assures us he was appointed to command the troops raised to go against the Dutch, at Manhattan, in 1653, only three years before he died, and it is altogether improbable that he could then have been 87 years old : he was probably about 36 when he came over, which is corroborated by New England's Memorial, wherein it is recorded that he went in his " younger time" into the Low Countries as a soldier, and there becoming acquainted with the Church at Leyden came with them to N. England. He was a distant descendant (not a son as Mr. Holmes supposes) of the Rev. Henry Standish D. D., Bishop of St. Asaph's in the reign of Henry the 8th.
Mrs. Bisbee, living in 1809 at Plympton, very aged, was a Standish b. at Captain's Hill in Duxbury.
Betsy Bisbee Standish d. in E. B. 1792, ae. 41.
Isaiah Standish was in Rochester 1805.
Sarah Standish m. Daniel French of E. B. 1817.
Sam'l Standish of Lebanon, Conn., had a son Israel, and a D. Hannah.
Israel had Elisha, Jonas, Amasa, and Nathan.
Elisha had a s. Lodowick.
Nathan had two ss., one of them Thomas, living in Lebanon ; and another in Bozrah.
Ezra, a respectable man, and cousin of Lodowick, lived in Bozrah.
Samuel Staples m. Betty, D. of Noah Washburn, 1765, and had Molly in E. B. 1767.
Jacob Staples of T. m. Lois Edson.
John Starr was one of the original Proprietors of Bridgewater, but never came to reside here. Jasper Starr and wife (from Boston) settled in S. B.: he died 1792, ae. 84 ; she d. 1802, ae. 92 (Mrs. Starr d. 1792, ae. 90). He had James and Benjamm.
Benjamin was drowned in a well 1779.
Polly m. Luke Leach 1788.
James Jr. m. Lois, D. of Benjamin Leach, 1797, and Peggy m. Libeus Leach 1797, and all went to Me.
James Jr. was a Magistrate in Maine, and had Harriot B. 1799, Louisa L. 1802, both b. in S. B.
John and Martha Starr of Boston had Benjamin 1607.
Comfort and Mary Starr of Boston had Joseph 1605, and Mary 1671.
Benjamin Starr m. Mary Maylam 1713, and Eliza Story 1715.
John Starr m. Abigail Day 1706.--[Boston records.]
Abishai Stetson (from Pembroke) m. Sarah Crooker, and settled in E. B., and had Molly 1762, Abishai 1764, d. 1771 ; Abigail 1766, Jonathan 1765, Sarah 1770, Abishai 1773, Bethiah 1776. He died 1777, ae. 39, and his widow m. Solomon Packard 1779.
Molly m. Benjamin Pincin 1787.
Abigail m. Dyer Robinson 1787.
Sarah m. Harlow Harden 1795.
Bethiah m. Calvin Keith 1794.
Capt. Isaiah Stetson, brother of the preceding, lived also in his youth in E. B., with Col. Edward Mitchell.
2. Jonathan (s. of Abishai 1.) m. Huldah Magoun 1791, and went to Carver and afterwards settled in Marshfield, and had Abishai, Sumner, and others.
3. Capt. Abishai (s. of Abishai 1.) m. Alice, D. of Ezra Allen, 1796, and had Jennet 1797, died 1820 ; Sarah 1799, d. 1820 ; Ethan 1803, Naomi 1805*, Nahum 1807, Nathan 1810, Alice 1813*, Caleb Strong 1815. His wife d. 1821, and he m. Mary Johnson of Kingston 1821.
Nathan went to Pennsylvania, and there m., and was a Preacher, and has returned to E. B.
Ethan m. a Baker, and d. 1831 ae. 29, leaving a D.
4. Nahum (s. of Capt. Abishai 3.) settled in S. B., and m. Sarah Wilson, D. of Rev. George Barstow of Hanson, and had George Barstow 1813, Sarah Lazell, Nahum, and Wm. Butler.
5. Peleg Stetson (from Abington) settled in E. B., and m. Ruth, D. of Perkins Gurney, 1775, and had Adam, Peleg, Charlotte, Sally, Jane. Adam m. Parna, D. of Capt. Levi Washburn, 1817.
Peleg m. Clarissa Gurney 1818.
Charlotte m. Jo. Reed 1807.
Sally m. Isaac Reed 1803.
Jenny m. John Harden 1803.
6. John Croal Stetson lived in S. B., and afterwards in E. B.; m. Lois, D. of Simeon Leonard, 1795, and had Experience Davy 1797, Louisa Leonard 1799, James Oliver 1803, Mary Ann 1811, and d. in S. B.
His son James O. m. and lived in E. B., and then in W. B.
Louisa m. the Rev. Mr. Chace of Carver.
Mary A. m. in Foxborough.
Wid. Elizabeth Stetson d. in E. B. 1800, ae. 77.
Abthiah Stetson m. Moses Wade 1738, and Jonathan Chandler 1745, and d. 1792, ae. 85.
Whitcomb of Abington m. Lucy Snell 1796.
Ruth of Pembroke m. David Snow Whitman 1798.
Delpha m. James H. Gurney of Roxbury 1813.
Mary Crooker Stetson m. Timothy Hayward 1817.
Wid. Experience d. in S. B. 1798, ae. 55.
Content m. Zenas Crooker.
Mary (or Mercy) m. Oliver Leach 1817.
Abishai Stetson of Kingston m. Elizabeth James of Hingham (or Cohasset) 1730.
Elijah Storrs came from Connecticut and settled in S. B., and m. Susanna, D. of Isaac Swift, 1782, and had Susanna 1783, Martha l 785*, and Mary*, and a son*.
Susanna m. Newell Withington 1808.
Mr. Storrs d. March, 1839, m. 89.
Mary Ann Storrs of Boston m. Laban Burr 1820.
Samuel m. Sarah, D. of William Packard, 1769, and had Zophar, 1770.
2. Samuel m. Abigail Holmes 1816, (both from Plymouth), and settled in E. B., and had Nahum Mitchell, Sherman Allen, Mary Jewett, Samuel Windsor, Elizabeth Bradford, Levi*, Silvanus*, James Henry*, John Tilton, Abigail Holmes, Nathan Dresser, Sarah Jane.
3. Silas (s. of Cornelius of Plympton) m. a Sampson and lived in N. B., and had Ephraim, Silas, Molly, and Elizabeth : he d. 1814, ae. 84.
Betsy m. Lewis Johnson 1799.
4. Ephraim (s. of Silas above) m. Abigail, D. of Robert Howard, 1791, and had Lucy 1793, who m. Oliver Howard 1808.
Sarah, D. of Caleb of Halifax m. Josiah Whitman 1774, and afterwards Jacob Mitchell 1791.
Patience, D. of Caleb of Halifax m. Jonathan Ames l783.
Jesse Fuller Sturtevant m. Anna, D. of James Alger 1771.
Silvanus m. Polly, D. (perhaps) of David Leonard, 1801.
Foster Sturtevant died in E. B. 1779. ae. 16.
James of Mid'o. m. Ann Leach 1769.
Deborah m. Isaac Doten of Hartford, Me., 1820.
Isaac Swift (from Sandwich) settled in S. B., and m. Susanna, wid. of Solomon Ames and D. of Samuel Keith, 1749, and had Jireh 1749, William 1752, Susanna 1754, Mary 1759 : he d. 1811; she 1836.
William m. Rachel, D. of Simeon Leonard, 1795, but had no children : he died 1839, ae. 87.
Susanna m. Elijah Storrs 1782.
Mary m. Capt. Jacob Leonard 1788.
2. Jireh (s. of Isaac 1.) m. Lucy, D. of Ebenezer Keith, 1776, and had Isaac, Martin, Sion, Ruel, Lois, and others.
Isaac m. Sarah, D. of Nath'l Pratt, 1797.
Martin m. Sarah, D. of Alex. Ames, 1809.
Sion m. Susanna, wid. of Macey Hall and D. of Joshua Washburn, 1818.
Reuel m. Mary Borden .of Mid'o. 1821.
Lois m. Walter Keyes 1793, and another D. m. Charles Brett.