History of the early settlement of Bridgewater
in Plymouth County, Massachusetts
including an extensive family register.
Printed for the author by Kidder & Wright 1840
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Hon. John Alden arrived with the Pilgrims at Plymouth in the May Flower, 1620 ; was about 21 years old, and was one of the Governor's Assistants many years, and otherwise much employed and greatly distinguished in the infant colony ; he removed early to Duxbury, and was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater ; he d. at Duxbury Sept. 12, 1687, ae. 88, of course was born 1599 : he m. Priscilla, D. of Wm. Mullens, 1623, and had John, Joseph, David, Jonathan, Elizabeth, Sarah, Ruth and Mary.
John was a captain, a mariner and master of a vessel, removed to Boston, m. Elizabeth, widow of Abiel Ewrill, and D. of Maj. Wm. Phillips, l660, and had John 1663, William 1669, Nathaniel 1670, Zechariah 1673, gra. H. U. 1692, Nathan 1677, and Henry, and also several Ds.; he d. 1702, she 1719 ; his will dated 1701. He was accused of witchcraft.—
David and Jonathan remained at Duxbury, and had families there..--
Elizabeth m. Wm. Paybody.
Sarah m. Alexander Standish.
Ruth m. John Bass, 1657.
Mary m. Thomas Delano.
2. Joseph, (2d son of Hon. John 1.) had his father's proprietary share in Bridgewater, and was an early settler here ; he m. Mary, D. of Moses Simmons, sometimes. written Symonson ; and had Isaac, Joseph, John, and probably Elizabeth, who m. Benjamin Snow, 1691, and Mary who m. Samuel Allen, 1700 he d. 1697, ae. a. 73.
3. Isaac, (s. of Joseph 2.) settled in E. B., and m. Mehitabel, D. of Samuel Allen, 1685, and had Mebitabel 1687, Sarah 1688, Mary 1691, Isaac 1692, Ebenezer 1693, Mercy 1696, Abigail 1699, Jemima 1702, and John.
Mehitabel m, Benjamin Richards, 1711.
Sarah m. Seth Brett, 1712, and afterwards Dea. Recompence Cary, 1727.
Mary m. John Webb, of Braintree, 1720, and d. 1772, ae. 82.
Isaac lived a bachelor, and left a large real estate.
Mercy m. Zaccheus Packard, 1725.
Jemima m. Dea. Thomas Whitman, 1727.
4. Dea. Joseph, (s. of Joseph 2.) lived in S. B., and m. Hannah, D. of Daniel Dunham, of Plymouth, 1690 ; and had Daniel 1690, Joseph 1693*, Eleazar 1694, Hannah 1696, Mary 1699, Joseph 1700*, Jonathan 1703*, Samuel 1705, Mehitabel- 1707, Seth 1710 ; he and she both d. 1747, he ae 80, she 78.
Hannah m. Mark Lathrop, 1722
Mary m. Timothy Edson, 1719
Mehitabel m. Barnabas Eaton, and d. ae. 30.
5. John (s. of Joseph 2.) had his father's homestead in W. B., and sold it to Isaac Johnson a. 1700, and removed to Titicut in Middleborough ; m. Hannah, D. of Captain Ebenezer White, of Weymouth ; she was born 1683 ; he had
David, who m. Judith Padelford, and was father of Solomon.
Priscilla, w. of Abraham Borden.
Thankful, w. of Francis Eaton.
Hannah, w. of Thomas Wood.
Lydia, w. of Samuel Eddy, and afterwards of John Fuller.
Mary, w. of Noah Thomas.
Abigail, w. of Nathan Thomas.
Joseph, who m. Hannah Hall.
John, who first m. Lydia Lazell, and had Capt. John, of Fairhaven, and Nathan, and then m. Rebecca Weston, and d. April,.1821, ae. 102.
Ebenezer, who at the age of 20 went to Cuba, and was taken prisoner and suffered hardships for 10 years, m. Anna Whitaker, and afterwards Rebecca Smith, and settled in Ashfield.
Noah born 1725, a Baptist minister, settled at Stafford 1755, and afterwards installed at Bellingham 1766, a member of the convention for forming the Constitution of Massachusetts in 1780, and also of the convention for adopting the Constitution of the United States in 1788, m. Joanna Vaughn, and had 3 ss. and several Ds., and d. 1797, ae. 71.
6. Capt. Ebenezer (s. of Isaac 3.) lived in E. B., and m. Anna; D. of Joseph Keith, 1717, and had Anna 1718,. Susanna 1719; Abigail 1721, Nathan 1727, Ezra 1732.
Anna m. Eleazai Washburn.
Susanna m. Ephraim Cary.
Abigail m. Ebenezer Byram, Jr., Esq., all three m. together, at the same time, viz :--Nov. 22, 1738.
The mother d. 1775, ae. 79, the father 1776, ae. 63, and was the last surviving member of the first church in East Bridgewater, gathered in 1724.
7. John (s. of Isaac 3.) lived in E. B., and m. Hannah, D. of Henry Kingman; 1727, and had John* and James*, twins, 1729 ; Isaac 1731, Jonathan 1733, Hannah 1736, Adam 1738*, Abigail 1742*, Keziah 1743 ; his w. d. 1744, and he m. Rebecca Nightingale..1745, and had Rebecca 1745, John 1747, Esther 1749*, James. 1751, Adam 1754, Joseph 1755, Benjamin 1757.
the father d. 1762, ae. a. 67.
Rebecca m. John Sprague 1767, and they with the mother and John went to Warwick.
James, Adam, Joseph and Benjamin-went to. Claremont, N. H.
8. Daniel, Esq., (s. of Dea. Joseph 4.) m. Abigail, D. of Joseph Shaw 1717, and had Joseph 1718, Daniel 1720, Abigail. 1722, Zephaniah 1724, Hannah 1726*, Hannah 1727, Mehitabel 1729*, Barnabas 1732, Ebenezer 1734, Mary 1737 ; he removed to Stafford with his family, where he d. ae. 80.
Joseph m. Susanna, D. of Solomon Packard, 1742, and had Zenas 1745*, and . Martha 1747*, and d. at Worcester, ae. 50.
Daniel, Esq., m. Jane Turner 1747, and d. at Lebanon, near Dartmouth College, ae. 70, and was father of the late Dr. Ebenezer Alden, of Randolph, born at Stafford 1755.
Abigail m. Dea. Eleazar Whitman, sen., 1742.
Zephaniah m. Hopestill, D. of Thomas Wade, 1748, and d.at Stafford, ae. 8O.
Hannah m. Joshua Blodget, at Stafford, and there d., ae. 70.
Barnabas d. at Ashfield, ae. 60.
Ebenezer d. at Stafford, ae. 21.
Mary m. Isaac Fuller 1764.
9. Eleazar (s. of Dea. Joseph 4.) lived in S. B., and m. Martha, D. of Joseph Shaw, 1720 ; she d. 1769, ae. 69, he 1773, ae. 79 ; he had Jonathan 1721, Eleazar 1723, Abraham 1725*, David 1727, Joshua 1729, Caleb 1731*, Ezra 1734, Timothy 1736.
Jonathan m. Experience, D. of Nathaniel Hayward, 1743, and went to Greenwich where he d., ae. 80, and she d. there 1809, ae. 90.
David m. Lucy, D., of Noah Thomas, of Mid'o., and went to Ashfield, and d. there, ae. 80.
Ezra went to Greenwich, was a Deacon there, and d. ae. 54.
Rev. Timothy gra. H. U. 1762, settled at Yarmouth Dec. 13, 1769, and d. 1828, re. 92 ; he m. Sarah, D. of Rev. Habijah Weld, of Attleboro'; she d. 1796, ae. 58 ; he had Timothy, Isaiah; Martin, Oliver, Sarah Weld, Martha Shaw.
10. Samuel, (s. of Dea. Joseph 4.) lived in Titicut ; m. Abiah, D. of Capt. Josiah Edson, a. 1728, and had Abiah 1729, Mehitable 1732, Sarah 1734, Samuel 1736, Josiah 1738, Simeon 1740, and Silas.
Samuel, the father, m. Rebecca, D. of Josiah Washburn, 1752, and d. ae. 80.
Abiah m. Seth Harris 1751.
Mehitabel m. Joshua Packard, 1755.
Silas d. ae. 21.
11. Capt. Seth (s. of Dea. Joseph 4.) lived in S. B., and m. Mehitabel, D. of Eleazar Carver, 1740, and had Oliver 1740, Seth 1741, Caleb 1744* and Joseph 1747; she d. 1757, and he m. Jael, wid. of Timothy Hayward, 1758, she was wid. Peterson when she m. Hayward ; he d. 1784, ae. 75.
12. Dea. Nathan (s. of Capt. Ebenezer, 6.) m. Mary, D. of Daniel Hudson, 1750, and had Nathan 1751 ; she d. 1755, and he m. Lydia, D. of Benjamin Richards, 1757, and had Isaac. 1758* ; he d. 1807, ae. 80, she 1823, ae. 90.
13. Ezra (s. of Capt. Ebenezer, 6.) m. Rebecca, D. of Josiah Keith, of Easton, 1756, and had a son 1757*, Abby 1759*, Abigail 1761, Isaac 1763, Susanna 1766 ; he d., and his wid. m. John Bisbee 1771, and d. 1777, ae. 41.
Abigail m. George .Vining 1778.
Susanna m. Jacob Allen 1784.
both went to Plainfield.
14. Isaac (s. of John 7.) m. Martha, D. of Solomon Packard, 1755, and had Nabby 1757, Isaac 175S ; he d., and the wid. m. Israel Bailey, 1760.
Nabby m. Joseph Whiting 1748.
15. Jonathan (s. of John 7.) m. Experience, D. of Cornelius Washburn, 1766, and had Mehitabel 1767, Isaac, John, Ezra, Daniel ; she d. 1775, and he m. Hannah, wid. of Thomas White, 1777, her maiden name Green, and had Cyrus, Samuel Green, Jonathan and Polly ; she, the mother, d. 1811 , ae 63; she m. White 1772 ; Jonathan, the father, d. 1825, ae. 93.
Mehitabel M. Henry Jackson 1786, and went to Minot.
Isaac m., Ruth, D. of Josiah Byram, 1794, and had Joanna, w. of Wm. Bird, 1818, Nabby and Lewis ; he d. 1832, ae. 60, and his .wid. m. Alpheus Fobes.
John m. Deborah, D. of Benjamin Robinson, 1798, and had Benjamin, Mary, Alvina, Charles, and went to Minot.
Ezra m. Nabby, D. of Wm. Vinton, 1798, and had Edward V., who d. young at the south, and William V., who lives in Boston.
Capt. Cyrus m. Nabby K., Daughter of Capt. Daniel Kinsley, 1808, and had Mary K. 1809, Hannah G. 1811, and Nabby Vinton 1813, and then went to Minot.
Samuel G. m. Rhoda, D. of Benjamin Richards, 1804, and had Benjamin, Samuel G., and Bartlett R., and d. 1814, ae. 36, was killed by the bursting of a cannon at Eastport in the last war.
Daniel and Jonathan went to the westward.
Polly m. Abel Barren 1810.
16. Eleazar (s. of Eleazar 9.) m. Sarah, D. of Nicholas Whitman, 1748, and had Martha, 1752, Mary 1754, Abigail 1756, Sarah 1759, Hannah 1762, Eleazar 1767.
the father d. 1803, ae. 80, the mother 1819, ae. 93.
Martha m. Silvanus Blossom 1774, and d. 1802.
Mary d. single.
Abigail m. Wm. Snell 1774.
Sarah d. 1778.
Hannah m. Levi Latham 1782.
Eleazar m. Deborah, sister of Eleazar Churchill 1794 ; she d. 1804, and he m. Abigail Pierce, of Mid'o., 1819, and had Lewis, Isaac, Rebecca.
Isaac m. Minerva Waterman 1821.
17. Lt. Joshua (s. of Eleazar 6.) m. Mary, Widow of Seth Alden, Jr., and D. of Eleazar Carver 1781 ; had no children ; d. 1809, ae. 80, she 1811, ae. 63 ; he gave legacies to the church, parish, and singing choir, in S. B.
18. Samuel (s. of Samuel 10.) m. a Williams, and lived in a corner of Abington included in the north parish of Bridgewater ; had Daniel, Silas, Joseph, Samuel, Williams, Seth, Hosea, and Hannah w. of James Cary, m. 1798 ; d. 1816, ae. 81.
Daniel m. Sarah, D. of Jon'a. Cary, 1786, and had Otis, Daniel, Alpheus, and Sally, who m. Jon'a. Burr, of Worthington. Otis m. an Adams, Daniel m. Eunice, D. of Perez Southworth, 1815 ; he and Alpheus went to Randolph.
Silas and Joseph went to Jay.
Samuel m. Sally, D. of Mark Ford, 1799, and had Sanford, Mehitabel, Hannah, and Sally, w. of Sidney Howard, m. 1815.
Williams m. a Lynfield, and had Mary, Lavinia, and Clarissa.
Dea. Seth m. Harmony, D. of Perez Southworth, 1802, and removed to Stoughton.
Hosea m. Milly, D. of Wm. Edson, 1817
Wid. Sarah Alden m. Lazarus Beal, of Weymouth, 1809.
19. Josiah (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Bathsheba Jones, of Raynham, 1761, and had Elijah 1763, Hazael, Josiah.
Elijah m. Rebecca Fuller, of Kingston, 1783.
Josiah, and Elijah his son, went to Brimfield, now Wales.
Hazael m. Bethany Wilbor 1791.
It appears also on record'that Bethany Alden m. Eliphalet White, of Raynham, 1791.
20. Simeon (s. of Samuel 10.) m. Mary, D. of Seth Packard, 1764, and had Simeon, Alpheus, Silas, Solomon, David, Jonathan, Isaac and Lot.
21. Oliver (s. of Capt. Seth 11.) m. Experience, D. of Capt. Solomon Leonard, 1765, and had Caleb 1766, Peddy, (Experience) Oliver 1770*, Cromwell 1773*. He d. ae. over 80.
Peddy m. Silvanus Pratt 1803.
22. Seth (s. of Capt. Seth 11.) m. Mary, D. of Eleazar Carver, 1767, and had Seth 1769, Mehitabel 1771 ; he had three other children, who d. 1775. Seth, the father, d. 1775, and his wid. m. Lt. Joshua Alden 1781.
Seth m. Sally, D. of Wm. Snell, 1800, and removed to Maine, and had a s. William S., now living in S. B.
23. Capt. Joseph (s. of Capt. Seth 11.) m. Bethiah, D. of Eleazar Carver, and had Mehitabel 1775, Joseph 1777, Daniel 1780, Thomas 1782, Cyrus 1785, Eunice 1788, Seth, Bethiah, and Betsy ; he d. 1803,ae. 55.
Mehitabel m. Thomas Mitchell 1797.
Capt. Joseph, Jr., m. Polly, D. of Amos Hayward, 1800.
Daniel m. Joanna Tilson 1804, and went to Belchertown.
Thomas m. Matilda, . D. of Daniel Copeland, 1815.
Cyrus and Seth were gra. B. U.; the former an attorney in Boston, now in Bristol co., the latter a minister at Marlboro'.
Eunice d. single.
Bethiah m. Alfred Arnold, of Greenwich, 1813.
Betsy m. Joseph Hooper, Jr.
24.—Nathan, Esq., (s. of Dea. Nathan 12.) m. Sarah, D. of William Barrell, 1776, and had Mary 1777, Lydia 1779, Marcus 1782, Isaac 1786, Sarah 1792, Lucius 1796. The mother d. 1816, ae. 61, and he then m. wid. Joanna Soule, of M., 1819.
Mary m. Capt. Wm. Vinton 1797, and d. 1799.
Lydia m. David Keith, Jr., 1801.
Marcus m. Salome, D. of Col. Aaron Hobart, of A., 1807, and had Aaron Hobart 1809, Susanna Hobart 1815, and went to N. Y.
Isaac, Esq., m. Clarissa, D. of Ephraim Whitman, of A., 1811, and had Wm. Barren 1813, and Henry 1817.
Sarah m. James P. Tolman, of St., 1818.
Rev. Lucius was gra. B. U. 1821, and is settled in E. Abington.
25. Isaac (s. of Ezra 13.) m. Mary, D. of Thomas Russell, 1781, and had Ezra, Thomas Russell, both baptized 1800. James Sullivan 1804, one other*, and the mother d. 1814, ae. 47 ; he m. Betsy, wid: of Benjamin Palmer, and D. of Daniel Willis, 1814, and had several children, and d. 1827, ae. 64.
Ezra m. Susan Dyer 1813, and went to Abington.
Thomas R. m. Jane, D. of Matthew Allen; 1813, and afterwards Dorothy, D. of Stephen Hearsey, and d. 1835, ae. 45.
James S. went to Weymouth.
26. Solomon (s. of David, and grandson of John 5.) m. Sarah Hall 1755, and had Sarah 1756, Solomon 1757, Noah, Alexander, Amasa, and three other Ds.
Solomon m. Patty King 1786, and had 2 ss., Solomon (a bachelor) and Lewis.
Noah m. Elizabeth Miller, of M., 1793, and had 2 ss., Noah and Hiram, and went to Illinois.
Alexander m. Lucy Leonard 1792, and went to Me.
Amasa m. Sally Hathaway, of M., 1799, and had 2 Ds.—Of the 4 Ds., one m. Elijah Alden ; one, Sarah m. Azel Shaw ; one, Hannah, m. Seth Miller, Esq., 1796 and one m. Eliphalet White.
Noah Alden m. Vodicia Hayford 1804.
Elizabeth m. Soranus Shaw 1816.
27. Caleb (s. of Oliver 21.) m. Sally, D. of Benjamin Hayward, 1790,-and had Oliver, Cromwell, Susan, Sally, Mehitabel, and Mary.
Oliver m. Melinda, D. of Edward Mitchell.
Cromwell m. Mary, D. of Joseph Hall.
Susan m. Samuel Sanger.
Sally m. Sidney Howard.
Mehitabel m. in Lancaster where she lives.
Ebenezer Alden of M., m. Ruth Fobes 1763.
Anthony Alden joined the church in W. B. 1742.
Ruth m. Daniel Faunce, of P.,1777.
Rosanda, of M., m. Joseph Fobes, 2d,1781.
Silence of M., m. Zephaniah Hathaway, of T.,1792.
Andrew, of M., m. Silence (or Selina) Fobes 1797.
Caleb, of M., m. Susanna Dunbar 1787.
Lucy of M. m. Eleazar Cary 1794.
Daniel m. Deborah Fullerton, of A., 1798.
Caleb 2d. m. Polly Alden 1814.
Daniel m. Olive Tucker 1819.
Sally m. Jonathan Burr, of Worthington, 1820.
ALDRIDGE or ALDRICH.
1. George and Catharine Aldrich, of Braintree, had John 1644, Sarah 1645, Peter 1648, Mercy 1650, Jacob 1652, Mattathias 1656.
2. Henry and Mary Aldridge, at Dedham, had Mary 1643, Samuel 1644. Henry, the father, d. 1645.
3. Josiah and his wife Mary settled in Bridgewater, and had William 1719, Henry 1721, Josiah 1723.
4. John m. Sarah, D. of Giles Leach, and settled in S. B., and had a D. Sarah, who m. Benjamin Hayward a. 1700.
5. John m. Elizabeth Cooper 1722, and had Timothy 1723.
6. Joseph, of Braintree, m. Patience Osbourne 1661, and had Joseph 1663.
John Aldridge, of Bridgewater, was it soldier at Roxbury, and d. there Feb. 1776.
There were also Nathan and Lydia Aldridge, in Bridgewater.
Josiah m. Sarah Baker 1753.
Joseph m. Elizabeth Andros, of T., 1754.
Benjamin m. Mary Shaw 1721.
Catharine m. Jacob Bump 1716.
Peter Aldridge was on the jury 1707.
Mary m. Joseph Newcomb 1768.
Daniel of M., m. Keziah Pratt 1797.
Phebe m. David Vaughn, of M.,1802.
Polly m. Lot Pratt 1787.
Eaton Aldridge m. Nabby, wid. of Otis Holmes, of T., and D. of Ezra Fobes, 1807 ; she m. O. Holmes 1796.
Thomas Alger, from Taunton, (perhaps Easton now) settled in W. B. and m. Elizabeth, D. of Samuel Packard, 1665, and had Israel and Deliverance, and perhaps other children.
2. Israel, (s. of Thomas 1.) m. Patience, D. of Nathaniel Hayward, and had Israel 1689, Joseph 1694, Thomas 1697, Nathaniel 1700, John 1704.
Nathanie1 went to Easton, was there in 1727 and 1729.
John d. 1730, and his brother Israel settled his estate.
3. Israel (s. of Israel 2.) m. Alice, D. of Joseph Hayward, and had Patience 1713 ; the mother d. 1716, and Patience was then called Alice to bear up her mother's name ; he then m. Susanna, D. of William Snow, 1717, and had Israel, Daniel 1727, James 1729; the mother d. and he m. Rachel, D. of Thomas Wade, 1731, but had no children by her.
Alice, Israel, and Daniel were all baptized 1727.
Alice m. Shepard Fiske 1732.
4. Joseph (s. of Israel 2.) m. Mary, D. of Wm. Ames, 1719; and had Mary 1720, Joseph 1723, Patience 1726, Bethiah 1729, John 1732, Susanna 1734, Nathan 1737*, Edmund 1739.
Mary m. Abner Hayward 1739.
Patience m. Isaac Lathrop 1743.
Bethiah m. Isaac Lazell 1748.
Susanna m. Ephraim Burr 1755.
5. Thomas (s. of Israel 2.) m. Sarah, D. of Peter Dunbar, 1724, and had a s. Thomas, and perhaps other children.
6. Israel (s. of Israel 3.) m. Abial, D. of Samuel Lathrop, 1747, and had Sarah 1754*; he d. 1755, and the wid. m. Jon'a. Bozworth, 1756.
7. James (s. of Israel 3 ) m. Martha, D. of Jon'a. Kingman, 1750, and had Anna 1752, Alice 1755, Abiezer 1757, Martha 1760, Phebe 1763, James 1765*, and James 1770, and 3 others who d. in infancy ; he d. 1800, she 1813.
Anna m. Jesse Fuller Sturtevant 1771, and Amos Keith 1774.
Alice m. Peter Dunbar 1773.
Martha m. Calvin Keith 1779.
Phebe m. Thaxter Dunbar 1779.
8. Daniel (s. of Israel 3.) m. Susanna, D. of Benjamin Fobes, and had Daniel 1751, Susanna 1753, Israel 1755, Kezia 1757, Benjamin 1760, Chloe and Silvia 1761, Nathan 1763, Martha 1766, David 1768, Abiel 1772.
Susanna m. Mark Packard.
Kezia m. John Dickerman 1786.
Benjamin m. Hannah, D. of Daniel Snow, Esq., 1785, and lived in Easton.
Chloe m. Tisdale Howard 1791.
Silvia m. Col. Caleb Howard.
Martha m. Mark Howard 1788.
David m. Sarah, D. of Jon'a. Lathrop 179O.
Abiel m. Rhoda Drake 1789, and David and Abiel went to Winchendon.
9. Joseph (s. of Joseph 4.) m. Naomi, D. of Elisha Hayward 1747, and had Edward 1750*, Bethiah 1752, Mary 1754, Hannah 1757, Silence 1759, Joseph 1762, Susanna 1767, Ebenezer 1769.
Bethiah m. Joseph Johnson 1771.
Mary m. Nathaniel Perkins 1775.
Hannah m. Jacob Hewins 1776.
Silence m. Barnabas Dunbar 1780.
10. John (s. of Joseph 4 ) m. Abihail (or Abial,) D. of Maj. John Johnson 1754, and had John 1755.
The father d., and the wid. and her father Johnson settled the estate 1756.
The wid. m. Ebenezer Pratt 1758.
11. Edmund (s. of Joseph 4.) m., Ruth, D. of Dea. Isaac Willis, 1761, and had Edmund 1762, Isaac 1764, Nathan 1768, Ruth 1770, Willis 1773.
Edmund, m. ,Huldah, D. of Josiah Lathrop, 1786, and had William 1787, and Huldah 1791, and went to Canada.
Isaac m. Susanna, D. of Joseph Johnson, 1788, and went to Attleboro'.
Ruth m. Dea. Nathan Alger 1792.
Edmund Alger m. Molly Thompson 1796.
12. Thomas (s. of Thomas 5.) m. Mehitabel Briggs, of Norton, and had James and Daniel both baptised 1766.
Daniel d. soon after the revolutionary war.
Thomas Alger d. 1793. Wid. Alger d. 1795, ae. 67.
13. Abiezer, Esq., (s. of James 7.) m. Hepsibah, D. of Ebenezer Keith, 1778, and had Jesse 1781*, Cyrus 1782, Olive 1785, Abiezer 1788, Hepzibah 1792, Cornelia 1799.
Cyrus, Esq., m. Lucy, D. of Nathan Willis, 1804, and lives in Boston, and has Olivia, Francis, Lucy, Mary Ann, Eliza, Martha, Cyrus.
Olive m. the Hon. John Reed, of Yarmouth, 1809.
Abiezer m. Anna Cushing 1812.
14. Dea. James, (s. of James 7.) m. Hannah, D. of Joseph Bassett, 1791, and had Adin 1791, Nahum 1794, Phebe Cushman 1798, Zenas 1802, Horatio 1806.
Adin m. Clarissa, D. of Jason Fobes, 1814.
Phebe C. m. Cyrus Copeland- 1716.
Horatio gra. H. U. 1825, and settled in the ministry at Chelsea.
15. Daniel (s. of Daniel 8.) m. Sarah, D. of Theophilus Howard, 1781, and had Sukey 1782, Parnel 1783, Daniel 1786, Sally 1788, Minerva 1790, Howard 1793, Silvia 1796, and Ruth 1802.
Daniel M. Lydia Wilkes 1807.
Sally m. Martin Dunbar 1812.
Minerva m. Libeus Packard 1812.
16. Israel, Esq., (s. of Daniel 8.) lived within the limits of Easton ; m. Rachel, D. of George Howard, 1785, and had George, Israel, Barnard, Roland, Rachel, and several other Ds.
George m. Sally Lathrop 1814.
Israel gra. B. U. 1811, and settled in the ministry.
Barnard m. Betsy Lathrop 1810.
17. Dea. Nathan (s. of Daniel 8.) m. Ruth, D. of Edmund Alger, 1792, and had Martin 1793, Abigail 1795, Nathan 1798, Lyman 1800, Benjamin 1803, Edmund. 1806*, Emily 1809*.
The mother d. 1826, ae. 55.
Abigail m. Albe Howard 1814.
18. Joseph (s. of Joseph 9.) m. Olive, D. of Joseph Ames, 1785, and had Tiley 1786, Ansel 1788, Lucinda 1790, Joseph -1792, Olive 1795, Betsey 1798, Henriette 1801, Mary 1803, Caroline 1807, Jane 1810, Elijah Ames 1813.
19. Ebenezer (s. of Joseph 9.) m. Polly Capen, of Sharon, 1792, and had Otis 1793, Polly 1795, Lucy 1797, Ebenezer 1799, Nancy 1801, Eliza 1803, Sanford 1805, William 1808.
Polly m. Waldo Hayward, Jr., 1816, and d. 1817.
Otis m. Susanna Perkins 1817.
Nancy m. Waldo Hayward, Jr., 1818
20. Nathan (s. of Edmund 11.) m. Rachel Smith 1809, and had Rhoda 1811, Edmund 1813, Bathsheba 1815.
21., Willis (s. of Edmund 11.) m. Susanna Capen, of Sharon, 1795, and had Anna C. 1797, Leonard 1799, Stillman 1801, , Isaac 1802, Ward 1805, Davis 1807, Susan 1809, Semantha 1814.
Anna C. m. Nathan Hewins 1818.
Leonard m. Hannah R. Lathrop 1821.
22. James (s. of Thomas 12.) m. Mehitable Briggs [crossed out and another name, illegible, written over the top. ?] , of Norton, and had Daniel, James, and several Ds., one,
Olive, m. Daniel Tyler, of Pittsfield, 1811.
Daniel m. Salome, D. of Joseph Keith, 1806, and. had Emily Williams 1807, Daniel Francis 1810, James Newton 1812, Joseph Allen 1815, Eliza Sherman 1816, Merton, and George.
The name of Alger has been variously written ; sometimes Aulgar, Augur, Augre, Auger, Agur, Ager, Eager, and Agar, and were, perhaps, originally the same name. And although the family in Bridgewater have generally written it Alger, yet it was formerly invariably pronounced. Auger. In Willis' History of Portland we find the names of Arthur and Andrew Alger, of Scarborough, in 1650 ; the latter is, found on the court records as early as 1640. Both of these were killed in Philip's war 1675. It is remarkable that they were written often in the same variable manner, Alger and Auger. There was also a Sampson Alger, written Auger, in Old York, made freeman at Kittery 1652. These three last have been mis? taken by Farmer, in his Register, for-Angier, and so was Thomas, ancestor of the Bridgewater family, on the Old Colony records as copied by Nichols, in consequence of being there written Auger, the u as generally written not being easily distinguishable from an n.-4n Winthrop's Journal, p. 23d, we find " a vessel arrived from Bristol in 1631, and among the passengers the name of Augre appears. We find also the name of a Mr. Augur, at New Haven, 1667." The families of John and Hannah Aulgar, of John and Sarah Aulgar, and of Matthew and Martha Aulgar, appear from 1652 to 1682, on Boston records ; where also it appears John Alger m. Sarah Seely 1721.—Farmer's Register also gives the name of Nicholas Auger, a learned physician of New Haven, 1638, and his brothers, John and Robert ; taken from Dodd's East Haven Register. William Auger, or Agar, also was admitted freeman in Mass. 1631, and lived in Salem 1637, and d. 1654. Jonathan Ager or Auger was also of Salem in 1665. Jacob Auger was at Braintree 1689.
Samuel Allen, of Braintree and his wife Ann, had Samuel 1632, Joseph, James, Sarah 1639, Mary and Abigail. His w. Ann d. 1641, and he had a 2d. w. Margaret ; whether she was mother of any of the children is not known ; his will 1669, wherein the children are named in the above order.
Sarah m. Lieut. Josiah Standish.
Mary m. Nathaniel Greenwood 1655.
Abigail probably m. John Cary 1670.
1. Samuel Allen, a Deacon, and son of Samuel Allen above named, settled in E. B. as early as 1660, and was the second town clerk, to whom we ,are much indebted for the fulness and perfection of the records ; he m. Sarah, D.. of George Partridge of Duxbury ; she . was born 1639 ; they had Samuel 1660, Essiel 1663, Mehitabel 1665, Sarah 1.667, Bethiah 1669, Nath'l. 1672, Ebenezer 1674, Josiah 1677, Elisha 1679, Nehemiah 1681.
His will 1703 ; he d. 1703, ae. 71.
Mehitabel m. Isaac Alden 1695.
Sarah m. Jonathan Cary, who d. about 1695, and she afterwards m. Benjamin Snow 1705.
Bethiah m. John Pryor.
2. Samuel (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Rebeckah, D. of John Cary, 1685, and had Samuel 1686, Ephraim 1689, Timothy 1691, Joseph 1693*, Mehitabel 1695. The mother d. 1697, and he m. Mary (D. perhaps of Joseph Alden,) 1700; and had Joseph 1701, Benjamin 1702, Mary-1704, Rebecca 1706, Matthew 1708, Seth 1710, and Abigail.
His will 1736.
Timothy, Joseph and Benjamin perhaps, went to N. J. or elsewhere.
Mehitabel m. a Bushnell.
Mary m. Henry Kingman 1726.
Rebeckah m. John Kingman.
Abigail m. Shubael Waldo, of Windham, 1730.
(There was a Samuel Allen who m. Jane Turner, of Weymouth, 1728, and d. 1750,. and called Jr., probably the son ; there is no further record of him.)
Ephraim went to Berkley, and was a blacksmith.
3. Nathaniel (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Bethiah, D. probably of Nathaniel Conant, 1696, and lived at Conant's Bridge, and afterwards in S. B , and had Andrew 1693, Hannah 1700, James 1704. The mother d., and he had a 2d. wife Abigail, (it is Mary on the town records,) and had Abigail 1711, David 1713.
Andrew, Hannah and David, no account of, perhaps they went to the Cape.
Abigail m. Nathaniel Carver 1736.
Perhaps there was another D. Mercy, who m. Moses Orcut 1739.
4. Ebenezer (s. of Samuel 1,. m. Rebeckah Scate..1698, and had Sarah 1699, Rebeckah 1701, Jacob 1702, Joanna 1704, Abigail 1706, John 1708, Ebenezer 1709*, Ephraim 1711, Isaac 1719, Joshua*, James, Jemima*, Deborah*.
The father d. 1730.
Sarah m. Jon'a. Crooker.
Joanna m. David Pratt 1722.
Abigail m. Samuel Smith.
Ephraim d. 1734, and Jacob settled his estate.
Rebecca was baptized 1725, and died single.
5. Josiah (s. of Samuel I.) m. Mary Read 1707, perhaps D. of Micah Read ; had Micah 1708, Josiah, Mary, Esther, Sarah, Nathan 1722, Betty 1724, William 1726.
Her will 1751, proved 1759.
Mary m. Benjamin Vickery 1737.
Esther m. James Edson 1749.
Sarah m. Japhet Byram 1742.
The father was dead in 1736.
Micah, Nathan, and Betty sold to Benjamin Whitman 1761.
6. Elisha (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Nicholas Byram 1701, and had Elisha 1704, Japhet 1705, Mattl1ew 1708, Samuel 1710, Mehitabel, Susanna, Mary, Silence.
Mehitabel m. Jonathan Alden, of Duxbury, 1731.
Susanna m. John Cary 1733.
Silence m. Edmund Jackson 1741.
(Quere if it was not Elisha's D. Mary that m. Benjamin Vickery ,1737, and not Josiah's above.)
Samuel probably m. Susanna, D. of David Perkins, 1733, and died 1737.
7. Nehemiah (s. of Samuel 1.) m. Sarah Wormel 1707, and had Alice 1707, Sarah 1710, Martha 1713, Nehemiah 1715*, Bethiah, Lydia.
Alice m. Arthur Latham 1733, and then Jonathan Allen, of Braintree, 1739.
Sarah m. Nath'l. Pratt, of Bridgewater, 1734.
Martha m. Dea. Jacob Hayward 1736.
Bethiah m. Micah Turner, of Weymouth.
Lydia m. Richard Vining, of Weymouth.
Jonathan Allen, of Braintree, m. Mary, D. of Capt. Chilton Latham, 1742, and had several Ds. m. here ; 2 m. Ramsdell's, and one m. Seth Hobart.
8. Benjamin (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Ephraim Cary, 1730, and had Benjamin, Ephraim, Hannah, Mehitabel 1737.
The father died, and his estate was settled among the children 1754.
Hannah m. John Edson 1751.
Mehitabel, the daughter, m. Benanuel Leach.
Mehitabel Allen, the widow, m. Caleb Washburn 1756.
Benjamin went to Kingston and m. a Delano, and was a Sergeant with Gen. Winslow, 1755, in seizing the neutral French at Nova Scotia, where he died ; he enlisted from Plymouth, where he was a tanner.—This family lived where Dexter Pratt now lives. [trans. note: this was pub in 1840].
9. Capt. Matthew (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Sarah, D. of Seth Brett, 1735, and had Nehemiah 1736*, Ezra 1739, Nehemiah 1741*, Sarah 1747, Mary 1750*, Simeon 1753.
He d. 1787, ae. 79 ; she 1794, ae. 76.
Sarah d. single 1812, ae. 65.
Simeon m. Huldah, D. of Ephraim Cary, 1785, and had Susanna 1786*, Simeon 1788*, and Alpheus 1792, who m. 2. Ds. in succession of Maj. Nath'l. Wilder, of Middleborough, and removed to Boston, and there d. 1828, without children.
Simeon, the father, d. 1805, ae. 52, and Huldah, the mother, d. 1802, ae. 50.
10. Dea. Seth (s. of Samuel 2.) m. Rebeckah Rickard, of Plympton, 1735, and had Betty 1739, Mary* and Rebecca*, twins, 1743*. He d., and the wid. m. Deacon Thomas Whitman 1767.
Betty m. Nathan Whitman 1761.
11. James (s. of Nathaniel 3.) there is no record, or tradition, rendering it certain that this man was the son of Nathaniel, but the age and birth make it probable, and leave but little doubt of it ; he m. Mary, D. of Daniel Packard, 1732, and had Nehemiah 1733, James 1735, Ruth 1738, Bethiah 1740*, Susanna 1742, Jesse 1744, Bethiah 1749, Caleb 1751, Silas 1754, Hannah 1756
The father d. 1778, ae. 74.
Nehemiah went to Oakham.
Ruth m. Ichabod Packard 1757, and went to Oakham.
Susanna m. Capt. Jonathan Willis 1764.
Jesse m. Abigail, D. of Stoughton Willis, 1768, and went to Oakham, and had James and Chloe.
Bethiah m. George Black.
Caleb went to Conway.
Silas went to Heath.
Hannah m. Ebenezer Keith 1773.
Chloe Allen, of Oakham, m. Jonas Leonard 1804, and afterwards Gaius Conant.
Salome Allen m. Calvin Waterman 1793.
12. Jacob (s. of Ebenezer 4.) m. Abigail, D. of Henry Kingman 1730, and had Abigail 1730, Jonathan 1732, Jemima 1735, Jacob 1739, Ephraim 1743*, Josiah 1746, Ephraim 1747.
The father was killed by a cart wheel running over him.
Abigaiil m. Jonathan Randall 1749.
Jemima also m. a Randall.
Josiah and Ephraim left no sons.
The mother d. a widow 1770, ae. 65.
Josiah m. a Nightingale, and had several Ds., and d. 1816, ae. 70;- his wid. d. 1722, ae. 74.
13. John (s. of Ebenezer 4.) lived where Isaac Hobart lived, m. Lydia Kingman, 1733, and had Lydia, Deborah, John, Bethia*, Joshua*, all baptized in E. B 1748.
Lydia m. David Hatch.
John went to Maine.
Deborah m. John Hatch.
John Allen had a wife Alice, of Marshfield.
John Allen m. Sarah Campbell 1753.
14. Isaac (s. of Ebenezer 4.) m. Joanna, D. of Solomon Packard, 1745, and had Phebe 1745, Martha 1748, Isaac 1752, Molly 1755, James 1757, Jennet 1759, Huldah 1761, David 1763, Eunice 1766, Sarah 1769.
The mother d. 1787, ae. 62, and he then m. wid. Susanna, late wife of William Allen, and D. of Joseph Packard, but had no children by her. He d. 1791, ae. 71 ; she 1818, ae. 87.
Phebe m. Wm. Bonney 1766.
Martha m. Benaiah Niles 1770.
Isaac m. Silvia, D. of Seth Brett, 1776, and afterwards Matilda, D. of Thomas Pratt, 1796, and d. 1822, ae. 72, leaving one D. Sophronia, an only child, who m. Joseph Dunbar 1812.
Molly m. Capt. Levi Washburn 1774.
Capt. James m. Polly, D. of Wm. Whitman, 1778, and went to Maine.
Jennet m. Capt. John Thompson 1778, and went to Maine.
Huldah m. Isaac Washburn 1781, who went to Maine.
Eunice m. Josiah Johnson 1784.
David m. Rachel, D. of Jesse Dunbar, 1796, and had several children, viz : Melinda 1796, Zebina 1798, Nahum 1800, Galen 1802, Sidney 1806, and Joanna.
Sarah m. Zenas Whitman 1791, who went to Maine.
15. James (s. of Ebenezer 4.) m. Bethiah, D. of John Kingman, 1736, and had Ebenezer 1737, Bethiah.
His wife died, and he m. wid. Ann, late wife of Joseph Pryor, 1742, her maiden name Moore, and had Hannah 1742*, James 1743*, Thankful 1746*.
Ebenezer Allen m. Mary Bradley, of Abington, 1757, and had James l760, Mary 1763. The parents both died 1763.
Bethiah m. Thomas Snell, Jr., 1755, who went to Maine.
Mary Allen m. Isaac Mehurin 1781.
16. Micah (s. of Josiah 5.) m. Hannah, D. of Timothy Edson 1737, and had Mary 1737, Micah 1740, Joseph 1742, Daniel 1743.
He d., and the wid. m. Thomas Phillips 1747.
Mary d. single 1820, ae. 82.
Micah and Daniel went to Easton, and Daniel afterwards went to Brookfield.
17. Josiah (s. of Josiah 5.) m. Sarah Orcut 1741, and they had only one child, Josiah 1742, who d. 1785, ae. 43, a bachelor.
The father d. 1745, ae. a. 35. The mother d. 1806, ae.100.
18. Nathan (s. of Josiah 5.) m. Rebeckah, D. of Stephen Read, 1743, and had Abigail 1743, Nathan 1747*, Nathan 1749, Rebeckah 1751, Esther 1753, Philip 1757, Hannah 1760, Philemon 1762.
Abigail, m. James Thompson of Halifax, 1765.
Rebeckah, m. Levi Gilbert, of Brookfield, whither the family removed.
Esther, m. Amasa Ross, of Brookfield.
Hannah, m. John Bacheldor.
Sally Allen, of Brookfield, m. Daniel Snow 3d, 1793.
There was a Mehitabel Allen, who d. 1776, ae 13.
19. William (s. of Josiah 5.) m. Susanna, D. of Joseph Packard, 1748, and had Susanna 1750, William 1752, Rhoda 1754, Edward 1756, Elijah 1758, Abel 1760, Robert, Betty 1767.
He died, and the wid. Susanna m. Isaac Allen, and afterwards Dea. Othniel Gilbert, of Brookfield.
This family went to Brookfield, and afterwards further westward.
20. Elisha (s. of Elisha 6.) m. Rebecca, D. of David Pratt, 1745, and had Mehitabel 1752, Huldah 1753, David 1755, Abijah 1758.
21. Matthew (s. of Elise. 3.) m. Sarah Harden 1734, and had Susanna 1735, Samuel 1737, Japhet 1739, Sarah 1743, Mary 1745, Matthew 1747*.
The mother d. 1793, ae. 77.
Susanna m. Seth Gannett 1754.
Sarah m. Lot Dwelly 1763.
Mary m. John Hobart 1765, father of John Hobart, Esq., of •Leicester, and afterwards a Bearce.
The father, Matthew, d. 1784, ae. 76.
22. Ephraim (s. of Benjamin 8.) m. Betty, D. of Jonathan Wood, 1758, and had Seth 1759, Susanna 1761, Hannah 1764, Betty 1766, Sarah 1769.
Susanna. m. Nathan Edson 1778.
23. Ezra (s. of Capt. Matthew 9.) m. Phebe, D. of Ephraim Cary, 1761, and had Molly 1762, Zenas 1763, Phebe 1765, Ezra 1767, Asahel 1770, Samuel 1772, Bezaliel 1774, Alice 1776, Waldo 1778, Ethan 1780, Ambrose 1784.
The father d. 1795, ae. 55.
Molly m. William Brett 1782.
Zenas went to the westward.
Phebe d. single 1803.
Ezra went to the westward.
Asahel m. Rhoda Tilson 1794, and had several children, viz : Jason 1795*, Ethan 1797, Marven 1798, Alice 1802*, and then went to Benson, Vt.
His son Ethan, gra. of Middlebury College, was an Episcopalian Clergyman at the city of Washington.
Samuel went westward.
Bezaliel m. Pamela Hall, of Raynham, and had several children, viz : Harriet*, d. 1807, ae. 10 ; Almira*, d. 1829, ae. 28 ;
Bezaliel Cary, who was a physician, and went to the southward.
Pamela Hall d. 1834.
Henry Clinton, who was educated at Brunswick, but did not graduate, began to preach, and d. 1831, ae. 24.
Evelina Augusta, m. a Hall, and lives in Boston.
Harriet Amanda, m. a Rainsford, and d. 1837, ae. 24.
Alice m. Capt. Abisha Stetson 1796, and d. 181, ae. 45.
Waldo and Ambrose went to the eastward.
Ethan d. 1802, ae. 22.
The mother, wife of Bezaliel, d. 1831, ae 62.
24. Maj. James (s. of James 11.) m. Martha, D. of Dea. Jacob Hayward, 1761, and had Nehemiah 1763*, Oliver 1765., James 1766, Galen 1769, Benjamin 1772.
The father d. of the small pox 1789, ae. 54.
Oliver m. Susanna, D. of Samuel Whitman, 1790, and had several children, viz : James Seymour, Oliver, and a D.
James S., s. of Oliver, m. Mary, D. of Nathan Mitchell, Esq., 1816, and died young, leaving only one child, a D. Mary
Oliver m. Rachel Wood, 1819.
James gra. H. U'. 1785, and died young and unmarried.
Benjamin m. Rebecca Clark 1795.
Galen (named of N. HI.[?? hard to read) m. Hannah Copeland 1797.
25. Jonathan (s. of Jacob 12.) m. Sarah, D. of Capt. Jonathan Bass, 1755, and had Bathsheba 1759, Barzillai 1769.
The father d. 1780, ae. 47; the mother 1777, ae. 41.
Bathsheba m. Capt. Isaac Whitman 1785, and d.1829, ae. 70.
Dea. Barzillai m. Joanna, D. of William Bonney, 1796, and had a D. Clara 1797, who m. Freedom Whitman, and lived in Boston,: and d. young.
The mother Joanna d. 1799, ae. 25, and he m. Lucy, D. of the Rev. Samuel Baldwin, of Hanover, 1802, and had Sarah Bass 1804, Samuel Baldwin 1807, Lucy 1810, Abigail 1812*, William 1815, gra. H. U.1837.
The Father Barzillai d. 1826, ae. 56.
Sarah Bass m. the said Freedom Whitman for his 2d wife.
26. Capt. Jacob (s. of Jacob 12.) m. Abigail, D. of Israel Bailey, 1762, and had Jacob 1763, Timothy 1764, Bailey 1766, Betty 1768, Jemima 1770, Jonathan 1773, Ward 1775*.
He commanded a company in the revolutionary war, and was killed at Saratoga, at the capture of Burgoyne, in 1777, ae. 38.
The wid. Abigail m. Isaac Lazell.
Jacob m. Susanna, D. of Ezra Alden, 1784, and went to Cummington.
Timothy m. Celia, D. of Nathan Whitman, 1788, and had twins, who both d. in infancy, and the mother d. also 1789, and then he m. wid. Betty, late wife of Joseph Keith, and D. of Anthony Sherman, 1791, and had several children, viz : Joseph 1792, Jennett 1794, Bailey 1796, Orra 1798*, Anthony Sherman 1800, Timothy Wales 1801, Betsy Rogers 1803, Orra 1804, Dicy Hill 1807. He removed to Plymouth where his wife d., and he m. a 3d w.; and d.1827.
Bailey (s. of Capt. Jacob) removed to the westward.
Betty m. Samuel Rogers 1790.
Jemima m. Elisha Bisbee, his 2d. wife.
Jonathan removed from town.
27. Joseph (s. of Micah 16.) m. Mehitabel, D. of Zebulon Cary, 1771, and had Zebulon, Josiah*, Joseph 1785, Daniel, Susanna, Mehitabel.
Joseph, the father, d. 1826, ae. 84; the mother d. 1799, ae. 4S.
Zebulon m. Priscilla Atwood 1795, and removed to the westward.
Joseph d. 1828, ae. 43. He m. Diana, D. of Lot Phillips, 1814, and has left children ; his wid. m. Thos. Whitmarsh.
Susanna m. Thomas Snell 1792.
Mehitabel m., Ezra Phillips 1809, and d. young.
Daniel m. Priscilla Smith, of Middleborough, 1815, and d. young.—The whole family d. of consumption.
28. Samuel, (s. of Matthew 21.) m. Hannah, D. of Joshua Pratt, 1758, and had Matthew 1759, Hannah 1761, Byram 1763, Molly 1765, Huldah 1767, d. 1795, Eunice 1770, Samuel 1772, Pratt 1775.
The father d. 1787, ae. 49.
The wid. m. Nehemiah Latham 1801.
Matthew m. Jane, D. of Lemuel Keen, 1786, and had several children, viz : Mehitabel, Bethiah, Jane, Huldab,Electa, Eliza, and d. 1803, ae. 44.
Hannah m. John Ramsdell 1784, father of Martin Ramsdell.
Molly m. Nathaniel Damon 1786.
Eunice m. Ezra Whitman 1795.
Samuel went to Boston, and afterwards to N. B.
Pratt m. Ann Stockbridge, and had several children, viz : Samuel Barker, Patience Barker, Pratt 1801, and removed to the Cape.
Byram m. Elizabeth Childs 1786, and had Capt. Seth, of Halifax, Byram, Robert, Samuel, and both d. 1833, he ae. 70, she 69.
Jane m. Thomas R. Alden 1813.
Huldah m. Thomas Barren I815.
Betsey (or Eliza) m. Noah Ramsdell 1818.
Electa m. a Slocum.
Mehitabel Allen m. John Clapp, of Roxbury, 1804.
29. Japhet (s. of Matthew 21.) m. Betty Thomas of Marshfield, 1761, (she was sister of Nathan Kingman's wife,) and had Sarah 1765, Laban 1766, Phebe 176S, Japhet 1771, Betty 1773, Jenny 1775, Lydia 1778*,' and Isaac born at Tamworth, N. H., whither the family all removed.
30. William Allen (or Allan) m. Catharine Demsel 1756 ; their child d. 1757, and the mother d. 1757.
He then m. Hannah Copeland 1755, and had William 1759, Catharine 1760, David 1765.
He sold his estate to Hugh Orr, Esq., 1760.
This family lived in W. B., and had no connexion with the Allen family in this town. It was probably a Scotch family.
31. Eleazar Allen, of Rochester; m. Mary, D. of Anthony Sherman, and had Elisha, Zephaniah, Betty, and other Ds.—He d. and the wid. and children came to E. B.—Elisha settled in Maine.--Zephaniah never m.--Betty m. Nathan Bates, 1789.
East Bridgewater is principally indebted to the Allen family for the burying ground, meeting-house lot, and common or training-field, which were given by them.
John and William Ames were sons of Richard Ames, of Bruton, Somersetshire, England ; the former settled in W. B., and the latter in Braintree, here in New England, as early as 1640.
1. John Ames above came from Duxbury to this town ; was an original proprietor here, and m. Elizabeth Hayward 1645 ; she was probably sister of Thomas Hayward ; they had no children, but he had a large estate which he gave by deeds in 1697 to his nephew John, son of his brother William, of Braintree, and to the sons of his said nephew. He d. a. 1698.
(William, of Braintree, d. 1654 ; his wife Hannah ; his children, according to Boston records, were Hannah 1641, Rebecca 1642, Lydia 1645, John 1647, Sarah 1650, Deliverence 1653. Hannah m. John Hayden 1660, m. by Gov. Endicot.)
2. John (s. of William, of Braintree, and nephew of John I.) m. Sarah, D. of John Willis, and. came to W. B. as early as 1672 and probably earlier, and had John 1672, William 1673, Nathaniel 1677, Elizabeth 1680, Thomas 1682, Sarah 1685, David 1688, and Hannah.
His estate settled a. 1723.
Elizabeth m. Capt. John .Field 1697.
Sarah m. Daniel Field 1706.
Hannah m. David Packard 1712.
3. John (s. of John 2.) m. Sarah, D. of John Washburn, 1697, and had Elizabeth 1697, John 1700, Sarah 1702, Abigail 1705, Jonathan 1707, Deborah 1710, Daniel 1712, Benjamin 1715, Joshua 1718*.
His will 1755, p. 1756.
Elizabeth m. Joseph Bassett, at Boston, 1724.
Sarah m. Abiel Packard 1723.
Abigail m. Thomas Wade (his 2d or 3d wife) 1752, and d. 1789, ae. 84.
Deborah was never m.; Jonathan was to take care of her.
John m. Mehitabel, D. of Israel Packard, 1725, and had children, but left none ; Mehitabel, the wid., m. Samuel West 1727, and was dead 1752. Benjamin refused executorship, and dates his refusal at Scituate. Jonathan executor alone.
4. William (s. of John 2.) m. Mary, D. of John Hayward, 1698, and had Mary 1699, William 1701, Martha 1704, Bethiah 1706, Sarah 1708, Hannah 1710.
He d. a.1712.
David Packard guardian to Bethiah, and Nathaniel Ames to the rest.--Mary m. Joseph Alger 1719.—Martha m. Thomas Conant. Bethiah m. Timothy Keith 1737.
Hannah m. Samuel Keith 1734.
5. Capt. Nathaniel (s. of John 2.) m. Susanna, D. of John Howard 1702, and had Nathaniel 1708, Susanna 1711, Seth 1713, Sarah 1716, Ann, Mary*.
Susanna m. a Tripp of Providence.
Sarah m. a Spaulding, of Killingsly.
Ann m. a Payne, an attorney.
Seth d: ae. 25, at Guinea, supposed to have been poisoned by the negroes.
Seth Ames m. Elizabeth, D. of John Prince, of Rochester, 1734. She afterwards m. Joshua Lazell, of M., 1742.
Nathaniel Ames m. Mary Lindsay 1734.
6. Thomas, (s. of John 2.) m. Mary, D. of Joseph Hayward, 1706, and had Thomas 1707, Solomon 1709, Joseph 1711, Ebenezer 1715, Mary 1717, Susanna 1720, Nathan 1722, Sarah 1724, Betty 1727.
Mary m. Seth Howard 1735.
Susanna m. Thomas Willis 1741.
Sarah m. Capt. Josiah Packard 1747.
Betty m. James Ames 1748.
Mary Ames m. John Buck 1739, perhaps the mother, then a widow.
7. David (s. of John 2.) m. wid. Mary, late wife of Nathaniel Reynolds, and D. of Thomas Snell, 1722, and had David and Mary 1723, James 1725.
He d. 1726, she 1757.
Mary m. Zechariah Gurney 1754.
David left no posterity.
Mary, the wid's. will, dated 1755, p. 1757, mentions David, James, Mary Gurney, and Betty Ames, (perhaps James' wife.) She also mentions her sons Nathaniel, and Thomas Reynolds, and grand daughter Mary Reynolds.—Nathaniel Reynolds executor.
8. Jonathan, (s. of John 3.) m. Keziah Tinkham 1757, and had Jonathan 1759, Keziah 1761, Susanna 1763, Molly 1765.
Keziah m, Thaddeus Howard 1785.
Susanna m. a Tinkham.
Molly m. Capt. David Gurney 1789.
Keziah, the mother, m. James Howard 1776.
9. Daniel (s. of John 3.) m. Hannah, D. of Timothy Keith, 1742, and had John 1742, Timothy 1744, Noah 1748, Daniel 1751, Job 1752, Sarah 1754, Hannah 1756, Phebe 1760.
He d. of the small pox 1778, ae. 60.
John was a physician, m. Martha Park 1771, and settled at Rehoboth ; he left no children.
Sarah m. Benjamin Fuller 1777.
Hannah m. Israel Burr 1779.
Phebe d. single.
10. Benjamin (s. of John 3.) m. Dorcas, D. of Hezekiah Thayer, of Braintree, and had Joshua 1760.
Joshua m. Hannah, D. of Mark Ford, 1786, and had James 1787, David 1788, Hannah 1790, Betsy 1796.
Capt. David m. Lucinda, D. of Jonas Packard, 1815.
James a bachelor.
Betsy m. Zephaniah French 1816, and went to Albany.
Hannah m. John Talbot 1814, and went to N. Y.
(Benjamin Ames m. Hannah White 1793. Boston records.)
11. William (s. of William 4.) m. Elizabeth, D. probably of Richard Jennings, 1721, and had Mary 1722, William 1723, Barnabas 1725*, Silence 1727, Peace 1729, Anne 1730, Abraham 1731*, Amos 1732, Charity 1733, Elizabeth 1735,. Sarah 1736.
It is said this family removed to Connecticut.
12. Dr. Nathaniel (s. of Nathaniel 5.) removed to Dedham, and m.-two wives in succession by the name of Fisher, viz :----Mary, D. of Joshua Fisher, m. l 735, and Deborah, D. of Jeremiah Fisher, m. 1740.
By his first he had a son named Fisher, who died in infancy, but not till after his mother, upon which the famous law suit took place, in which it was determined, for the first time, that the estate ascended to the father, as next of kin to his son, by the Province law, contrary to the English common law. By the last wife he had several children, viz :—Nathaniel 1741, Seth, Fisher 1758, Deborah and William ; the two last died young.
William was lost at sea.
Nathaniel gra. H. U. 1761, was a physician, lived to old age, but left no children.
Seth gra. H. U. probably .1764, and was a physician, and d. 1778.
Fisher was the late Hon. Fisher Ames, of distinguished talents, who gra. H. U. 1774, m. Frances, D. of Col. John Worthington, and had several children, viz : John Worthington, Nathaniel, Hannah, Jeremiah Fisher, William, Seth, and Richard.
Dr. Eliot, in his biographical dictionary, deduces the late Hon. Fisher Ames' descent from the Rev. William Ames, son of the famous Dr. William Ames of England, author of " Medulla Theologise," and this is repeated in the preface to Fisher Ames' works ; but the account here given of the family, drawn from authentic sources, renders this supposition altogether improbable. Besides, William Ames of Braintree, the ancestor of this family, was married about 1640, and died at Braintree 1654, whereas the Rev. William Ames, son of the Franequar Professbr, and who came to N. E. with his mother, was graduated at Cambridge, N. E., 1645, and returned to England and settled there at Wrentham in the ministry, and died there 1689, ae. 65. The family record also, still preserved, deduces the Bridgewater family, as here given, from Richard Ames, ' of Bruton ; and hence perhaps the name of Richard appears among those of the Hon. Fisher Ames' children.
13. Thomas (s. of Thomas 6.) m. Keziah, D. of Jonathan Howard, 1731, and had Keziah 1732, Susanna 1734, Thomas 1736, John 1738, Mehitabel 1740, Silvanus 1744.
The father d. 1774, ae. 67.
Keziah m. David Howard 1751.
Susanna m. Josiah Snell 1752.
Mehitabel m. Eliab Fobes 1759.
14. Solomon (s. of Thomas 6.) m. Susanna, D. of Samuel Keith, 1737, and had Simeon 1739, Solomon 1741, Jotham 1743.
Simeon and Solomon under guardianship 1757.
The mother, a wid., m. Isaac Swift 1749.
Solomon m. Eunice, wid. of Benjamin Sprague, and D. of Ephraim Holmes 1781, and d. 1814, leaving no children.
Jotham m. Keliah, wid. of David Howard, and d. of Thomas Ames, 1767. He afterwards m. Sarah Bryant 1786, and d. at N. Y.
15. Joseph (s. of Thomas 6.) m. Susanna, D. of Nathaniel Littlefield, of Braintree, probably 1736, and had Phebe 1737, Ebenezer 1739, Nathaniel 1741, Eljah 1743, Susanna 1744, Joseph 1747, Sarah, William 1752, Bethiah.
His w. d. and he m. Ruth, wid. of Israel Packard, and D. of Richard Field 1754, and had Zephaniah 1755.
She d. and he m. Abihail, wid. of Jonathan Bosworth, late wid. of Israel Alger, Jr., and D. of Samuel Lathrop, 1768, and had Olive 1769, James 177l, and Fiske 1773.
Phebe m. Capt. Jonathan Howard 1750.
Nath'l. m. Mary, D. of Josiah Hill, 1783, and left no son.
Elijah m. Betty, D. of Isaac Johnson, 1769, and went to Pennsylvania.
Susanna m. Daniel Copeland 1764
Sarah m. Josiah Williams 1778.
William went to Connecticut.
Bethiah m. Ephraim Fobes 1769.
Zephaniah, a bachelor.
Olive m. Joseph Alger 1785.
James m. Jenny Fenno, of Boston, 1794, and had Leonard 1797*, Franklin 1799, James 1803.
Leonard was killed by the falling of a tree.
Franklin m. Polly, D. of Benjamin Keith, 1821.
16. Ebenezer, (s. of Thomas 6.) m. Sarah, D. of Maj. Jona. Howard, and had Rufus 1739, Sarah 1741, Parmenas 1743, Mary 1747.
He d. and his wid. m. Thomas Hooper.
Parmenas m. a Kinsley, and then Mehitabel, D. of Simeon Ames, and wid. of Daniel Harvey, 1804 ; and he and Rufus both lived in Easton.
Ebenezer Ames and wife dis. fm. W. B. ch. to Easton 1748.
Sarah Ames m. Josiah Williams, of Easton, 1763.
17. Nathan (s. of Thomas 6.) m. Elizabeth, (or Betty) D. of Eleazar Snow, 1751, and had Sarah 1752, Nathan 1753*, d. 1776.
The father died, and the mother then m. Wm. Tolman 1757, and afterwards Micah White.
Sarah m. Aaron Bozworth.
18. James (s. of David 7.) m. Betty, D. of Thomas Ames, 1748, and had Mary 175, Betty 1773.
He had a 2d wife Dorcas, who d. 1816.
Mary m. John Snow 1784.
19. Jonathan (s. of Jonathan 8.) m. Deborah Pratt of Easton, 1780 ; she d. and he then m. Patience, D. of Caleb Sturtevant of Halifax, 1783, and had Jonathan 1784, Sarah 1786, Lewis 1788, Susanna 1790, William 1792, Charles 1794, Willard 1798.
Jonathan and his w. Sally had Ellis 1809, gra. B. U. 1830, Sally Capen 1811, Mary Fobes 1820.
Lewis m. Hannah Loring 1815.
20. Timothy (s. of Daniel 9.) m. Abigail, D. of George Howard, 1778, and had Hannah 1779*, Seba 1781*. The mother d. 1784, and he m. Ruth Carver 1786, and had Abigail 1787, Sibil 1789, Theron 1792, Phebe 1975.
Abigail m. Oliver Bryant.
Sibil m. Capt. Jeremiah Beals..
Theron m. Patty, D. of Capt. Robert Packard, 1816.
21. Noah (s. of Daniel 9.) m. Ruhama, D. of John French,. 1778, and had one son John 1779, an only child, who m. Hannah, D. of Perez Southworth, 1802, and he and his father both went to Winthrop, Me.
John's children were Noah 1803, Ruhama French 1805, Franklin 1806, Mary 1809, Thomas Thompson 1811.
22. Daniel (s. of Daniel 9.) m. Mehitable, D. of Josiah Perkins, 1780, and had Benjamin 1781, Josiah 1783.
Benjamin m. Zelopha, D. of John French, 1803, and had Damaris 1804, Nancy 1806, Daniel French 1809.
Josiah Ames m. Prudence, D. of Capt. William Thayer, of Braintree, and went to Dracut,. and had George 1813, Sarah Jones 1815, Josiah 1817, Harriet 1819, and John 1823.
23. Job (s. of Daniel 9) m. Mary, D. of Samuel Dyke, 1782, and had Azel 1783, Hannah 1785, Joel 1787, Elijah 1789, Nathaniel 1795.
Capt. Azel and Elijah settled in Marshfield.
Hannah m. Zebedee Snell, Jr., 1804.
Joel, m. Reliance, D. of Josiah Edson, 1814.
Job Ames m. Abigail Carver, of Marshfield, 1814.
24. Thomas (s. of Thomas 13.) m. Deborah, D. of Nathaniel Brett, 1758, and had Parnel 1759, Abiel 1761, Thomas 1763, Olive 1765, Rebecca 1766*, Rebecca 1772, Betty I775.
The father d. 1812, the mother 1819.
Parnel m. George Howard, Jr., 1777.
Capt. Abiel m. Alice Wetherell, of Norton, 1791, and d. 1838, ae 77, and had Charlotte 1793*, Charles 1795, Charlotte 1798, Thomas 1800, George 1804, Alice 1806, Fisher 1812.
Thomas m. Nancy Sturtevant, 1789, and went to Burlington.
Olive m. Elijah Burr, 1759.
Betty m. Calvin Burr, 1796, and both removed to Worthington, and Rebecca m. also in Worthington.
25. Capt. John (s. of Thomas 13.) m. Susanna, D. of Ephraim Howard, 1759, and had David 1760, Kezia, Susanna, Huldah 1768, Abigail 1769, Cynthia 1772*, John 1775, Oliver 1777.
Kezia first m. Elijah Packard 1783, and afterwards Benjamin Robinson 1798.
Abigail m. Joseph Lazell, 1787.
Susanna m. Joseph Fobes, Esq.
Huldah m. Isaac Willis, 1786.
26. Silvanus (s. of Thomas ,13.) m. Huldah, D. of Maj. Isaac Johnson 1768, and had Bezer 1769, Silvanus 1771, Cyrus and Huldah.
Silvanus and Cyrus went to the westward.
Silvanus the father gra. at Cambridge 1767, was Rector of the Episcopal church at Taunton 1773, and d. young, and his wid. (Huldah) m. John Willis, Esq. 1784.
Silvanus m. Abigail D. of Thos. Johnson 1795.
Bezer m. Rebecca Joslyn, of Pembroke 1791, and had Bezer 1792, Nabby 1795, Diana 1796, Marcus 1798, Cyrus 1800, Philander 1803, Lydia 1805, Rebecca J. 1807, Charles H. 1812 ; he went to Mid'o. and afterwards to Milton, where he d.
Huldah m. Timo. Harvard 1792.
27. Simeon (s. of Solomon 14.) m. Experience Standish 1765, and had Barzillai 1766*, Alex'r. 1767, Mehitabel 1770, Solomon 1773, Simeon 1776, Susanna 1780, Jotham 1786.
Mehitabel m. Danl. Harvey 1795, and afterwards Parmenas Ames 1804.
Solomon m. Sally Harden 1794, and went to N. Y.
Simeon went to Ohio.
Susanna d. single.
Jotham went to Easton.
Alex'r. m. Susanna Cole of M. 1789, and had Aaron 1791, Sarah 1793, Bethiah 1794, Sampson 1797, Priscilla Standish 1799, Simeon 1801*, Edwin 1803, Susanna 1805, Mary 1808.
Sarah m. Martin Swift 1806,
Bethiah m. Squire Fuller of Vt., 1815,
Sampson m. Betsy Richmond, of T. 1819.
28. Joseph (s. of Joseph 15.) m. Martha, D. of Josiah Williams 1770, and had Seth 1771, Bethiah 1773, Zeph'h. 1776, Joseph and Martha 1778, Anne 1781, Lucy 1784*, Jane 1787, Waldo 1789, Lucy 1795, Nath'l. Fisher 1795.
The father d. 1813.
Seth m. Elizabeth Bartlett 1798. and had Horace 1798. Virgil 1804.
Bethiah m. Joshua Bates 1796.
Joseph m. Hannah W. Shaw 1812, and d. 1813.
Martha m. Ezra Hyde 1805.
Anne m. George W. Perkins 1802.
Jane m. Eph'm. Sprague Jr. 1813.
Lucy m. Benj. Sprague 1818.
29. Ebenezer (s. of Joseph 15.) m. Jane D. of Dr. Abiel Howard 1763, and had Ambrose 1765, Charles 1767, Walter 1773. Wm. 1777, and Eben'r.
Ambrose removed to Greenfield.
Charles m. Rhoda D. of Dea. Elijah Snell 1789.
Walter m. Mehitabel Packard 1796.
Most of the family removed to the westward.
30. Fiske (s. of Joseph 15.) m. Betsy Covington 1803, and had Betsy Covington 1805, Cyrus 1806*, Geo. Robinson 1808, Wm. 1810, Joseph Thomas 1813.
His w. d. and he m. Dinah, D. of Benj. Leach 1819, and had Elbridge, Mary and John.
31. David (s. of Capt. John 25.) m. Rebeckah, D. of Maj. Isaac Johnson 1781, and had Lucinda, Mary, Rebecca, Susanna, David, Abigail, Galen, Charlotte and John.
The first 6 bap. at W. B. May 5, 1795 : he with his family removed to Springfield.
Lucinda m. a Larnpliear.
Rebecca m. James Wells.
Susan m. Edw'd. Pynchon Esq.
David m. Mary O., D. of Nahum Mitchell.
Abigail m. Rob't. McDermot.
Galen m. Eliza Kent.
Charlotte m. Nathan Oakes.
John not married.
32. John (s. of Capt. John 25;) m. Deborah, D. of the Rev. Dr. Sanger, 1799, and removed to Sangersfield N. Y., and had Caroline Sanger 1800, Irene Freeman 1802, Christiana Sterling 1803.
33. Oliver (s. of Capt. John 25.) m. Susanna, D. of Oakes Angier Esq., and went to Easton and had Horatio, Oakes A., Angier*, Oliver, Sarah, William, Harriet, and John.
34. Dea. Josiah Eames (from Marshfield, a descendant of Anthony Eames probably), his wife was an Eames also : he came to N. B. 1770, and had a son Elisha.
Elisha m. Sarah, D. of Timothy Packard, and had Josiah 1787; and Isaac 1789.
The mother d. 1790.
Josiah m. Rebecca, D. of Ephraim Noyes, 1808, and had Sarah 1812, Luther 1813.
Isaac m. Abby Hayward 1811. This family went to Long Island.
Elisha m. Ann Mann, of St. 1791.
N. B. In the early records some of the family of Ames were sometimes written Eames ; but whether Anthony and others in Marshfield of the name of Eames, were of the same family with that of Ames in Bridgewater, is not ascertained. There was a John and Martha Ames, of Boston, whose children were William 1656, Martha 1659 ; (Boston Records) ; he appears to have been contemporary with William of Braintree and John of Bridgewater. There was also a Thomas Eames at Dedham who had John 1642, and Thomas Eames also of Sudbury 1676, and Anthony, John and Mark Eames at Hingham and Marshfield from 1637 to 1649.
Edmund Angier, of Cambridge, 1636, freeman 1640, m. Ruth, D. of the Rev. Dr. William Ames, an English divine of great celebrity, the famous Franequar professor, and author of " Medulla Theologia ," and had John 1645*, Ruth 1647, Ephraim, Samuel 1654, John 1656*.
His w. d. 1656. and he m. Ann Pratt 1657, and had Edmund 1659, Hannah 1660, Mary 1663, John 1664, Nathaniel 1665. and Elizabeth.
There was also a John Angier gra. H. U. 1653 ; and Mr. John Angier, of Boston, bought a house of Wm. Aspinwall 1652 ; and John and Hannah Angier, of Boston, had a son John born 1652.
John Angier m. Elizabeth Worthylake 1713, and had John 1714, Robert 1717, and Elizabeth 1719..---(Boston records.)
2. Rev. Samuel (s. of Edmund I.) gra. H.U. 1673, and settled in the ministry at Rehoboth 1679, m. Hannah, D. of the Rev. Urian Oakes, Pres. of H. U. Sept. 2, 1680, and had Ames 1681, Hannah 1682, Ruth 1684*, Edmund l685, Urian, Oakes, Samuel, Dorothy, Sarah, Eunice 1698, John 1701, Elizabeth, and Ruth 1705 ; he was dismissed on account of feeble health from Rehoboth, and afterwards was installed at Watertown 1697, and several of his youngest children were born there ; he d. 1719, ae. 65, she d. 1714 at her son Ames' in Boston.
Ames gra. H. U. 1701, and m. Margaret McCarty, in Boston 1708, and had a s. William 1714, and d. in Eng. 1720.
Hannah d. single, at Watertown, 1714.
Eunice d. single at E. Bridgewater 1771, ae. 73.
Ruth m. the Rev. John Shaw, of S. Bridgewater.
3. Rev. John (s. of Rev. Samuel 2.) gra. H. U. 1720, and settled in E. B., 1724 ; m. Mary, D. of Ezra Bourne, Esq., of Sandwich, (her mother was Martha, D. of Samuel Prince, and her (Martha's) mother was Mercy, D. of Gov. Thomas Hinckley, and her (Mercy's) mother was D. of Lawrence Smith ;) he had Martha 1733*, John 1735*, Ezra 17380, Mary 1740, Samuel 1743, Oakes 1745.
He d. 1787, ae. 85 years and 8 months.
Mary m. Rev. Ephraim Hyde, of Rehoboth, 1767.
4. Rev. Samuel (s. of Rev. John 3.) gra. H. U. 1763, and settled as colleague with his father 1767, m. late in life, Judith, D. of Rev. Josiah Smith, of Pembroke, 1797, but had no children. She d.1803, ae. 55 ; he Jan. 18, 1805, ae. 62.
5. Oakes, Esq., (s. of Rev. John 3.) gra. H. U. 1764, read law with the elder President Adams, and settled as an attorney in W. B., and was eminent in his profession ; m: Susanna, D. of Col. Edward Howard 1774, and had Charles 1774, Mary 1776, John 1778, Sarah 1780, Susanna 1783, Oakes 1785.
He d. 1786, ae. 41, and his wid. m. Jesse Fobes, 1792.
Charles gra. H. U. 1793, and m. Frances McClench,1796, was an attorney, and d. young, leaving an only child, Susanna McClench Howard, born 1797 ; his wid m. Archelaus Lewis, Esq., of Falmouth, Me, and the D. m. a Flinn, of Boston.
Mary m. Dr. Hector Orr 1795.
Sarah m. Josiah W. Mitchell, Esq., of Freeport, Me.
Susanna m. Oliver Ames, of Easton, 1803.
Oakes m. Frances, D. of John Hathaway, of Dighton, and was an attorney, first in Belfast, Me., and afterwards in Dighton, and d. leaving a s. John.
6. John (s. of Oakes 5.) m. Lavinia, D. of John Hathaway, of Dighton, and settled in Belfast, Me., as a merchant, and had Harriet Lavinia 1805*, John Francis Howard 1807, Charles Frederick 1810, George Christopher 1812, Harriet Lavinia 1814, who m. James H. Mitchell 1833, and Oakes 1816.
He d. Nov. 17, 1829, ae. 51.
John F. H. gra. Waterville College, and m. Jane, D. of Judge Wm. Crosby, and settled as an attorney in Belfast.
Charles F. and Oakes settled as merchants in Belfast.
George C. gra. Brunswick College, and settled as an attorney in Bangor.
Rev. Dr. Gad Hitchcock, of Pembroke, now Hanson, m. an Angier, cousin probably of the Rev. John Angier.
The name of Alger, often written and formerly pronounced Auger, has been sometimes mistaken for Angier. See Farmer's Register, where Arthur, Andrew, and Sampson Angier are mentioned, the name of each of whom was Alger or Augur, and not Angier.—(See Alger.)