Vital Records Of Phillipston, Massachusetts,
To the end of the year 1849
PUBLISHED BY FRANKLIN P. RICE,
Trustee of the Fund. 1906.
[Transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
THIS town was originally established as "Gerry," October 20, 1786, from parts of Athol and Templeton. A part was annexed to Royalston, February 26, 1799, and another portion to Athol, February 28, 1806. Its name was changed to Phillipston, February 5, 1814.
Population at different periods: 1790, 740; 1800, 802; 1810, 839; 1820, 916; 1830, 932; 1840, 919; 1850, 809. Population in 1905, 442.
Number of Births printed--1522
Marriages--- 581-1162 names
The list of Fhillipston Births, Marriages and Deaths comprised in this volume includes all that were found in the Town Books covering the period from the earliest date there recorded to the end of the year 1849. Some additions have been made from other sources, and these are indicated in each instance by proper reference.
All of the records are condensed in print as much as is consistent with intelligibility, accuracy, and completeness of information. Differences in duplicates, and explanatory or other matter which seemed necessary or desirable, appear in brackets.
Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties, but the full information concerning each person is given only under his or her name.
The double date is used in the months of January, February, and March prior to 1752 only when it so appears in the original, and instances of the modern form after 1725 are not uncommon.
When places other than Phillipston and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy.
The age given in the Deaths is in years unless otherwise indicated.