Various Genealogical Records and Biographical Sketches of
Families and Individuals, some Deceased and others still living.
Extracted from
A History of Guildhall, Vermont
Containing some account of the place..


[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

Son of Henry and Loisa Hendrick was born Sep. 10, 1846 at Concord, where he resided till Sep. '61 when he enlisted into the United States Service, Co. "D" 1st. Reg. Vt. Cavalry, and served till Nov. 19th.'64 when he was mustered out and received an honorable discharge. He returned to Concord and remained till March 20, '65 when he re-enlisted for one year into the U. S. Service, Co. "I" 7th. Reg. Veteran Volunters, and served 1 year. At the close of the war, in the spring of '65 this Reg. was stationed at Schuylkill Arsenal Philadelphia, where he served as Past Quarter Master until the expiration of his term of enlistment, when he was again honorably discharged and returned to Vt. During his service in the U. S. Army he was in 72 different engagements. He. was captured with 14 others of his Reg. at Hagerstown July 6, 1863 by Stuart's rebel Cavalry, when his Reg. with the union forces were trying to cut off Lee's retreat after the battle of Gettysburg : he was taken to Richmond and confined in Libby prison and Belle Isle till he was paroled Dec. 27,‘63, and sent to Annapolis, Md., where he remained till the spring of '64 when he joined his Reg. and went with Grant's army to Richmond and Petersburg.
He was so fortunate as to escape wounds, which would seem almost miraculous, as the 1st. Vt. Cavalry was for a long time opposed to Mosby's celebrated "Guerilla" Reg. of Cav.; they had a number of hard fights with that rebel force, which was more dreaded than any other equal number of the rebel army. It appeared to be Mosby's greatest desire to capture the 1st. Vt. Cav.; it was also their chief object to do the same to him, but neither side was able to accomplish what they so long and persistently tried to do, and both organizations were in good fighting condition at the close of the war.
Mr. Hendrick came to Guildhall in 1867 and purchased the "Cutler farm," which he carried on till 1877 ; he has. since followed the business of painting and mason work in which trade he is one of the best workmen in this vicinity. He is an exemplary member of the M. E. Church ; an honest man, and it is hoped that he will make Guildhall his permanent home.

Was born in Lunenburg, Oct. 6, 1804. His father, Wm. Heywood, came to Lunenburg from Charlestown, N. H. His mother came from Hardwick, Mass., her maiden name was Mary Egeny. His father was a farmer and Mr. Heywood lived with him until he was 21, laboring on the farm, except that he went to an Academy five fall terms, and kept a district school three winters. After be was 10 years old they resided most of the time in Concord. He began to study law with Hon. Charles Davis in Waterford, in the fall of 1826. Mr. Davis moved to Danville in 1828 and he went and studied with him there.
In the fall of 1830 Mr. Heywood went to Detroit, Mich., and lived these about a year, and while there kept a winter school and studied law a few months with Hon. Sam'l A. Fletcher; returning to Concord he was admitted to the bar it Guildhall September Term 1831.
Mr. Heywood began the practice of law at Lunenburg and remained there some four years, and moved to Guildhall in the winter of 1835 and took the place of John S. Wells, who then moved to Bangor, Me.
He was married to Susan Hibbard March 18, 1834, and she died March 10, 1881. His two living children are Henry and Isabel Heywood ; one child died in infancy and Francis died in the army in the late war. Mr. Heywood practiced law and kept an office at Guildhall about twenty years. He removed to Lancaster, in the spring of 1850 and has been in practice there ever since.
While he resided in Essex County he was State's Att'y for 18 years, Senator for Essex County in 1837 and 1838, was a member of the Constitutional Convention in Vt., in 1851, when considerable alterations were made in the Constitution of the State. About the time of Pierce's administration he was a candidate for Representative in Congress and only failed of an election from the fact that the party to which he belonged being in the minority, Elden Sabin was elected against him.
Both in Vermont and New Hampshire he has been pushed by some friends as a candidate for the Supreme Court Bench, but since. he went to N. H., he has sought no office. He is esteemed a very sound, thorough and highly respectable lawyer; and has an extensive practice.

Born at Cabot, June 7, 1810, and came to Guildhall in 1832: he married Mary Hopkinson, daughter of Joshua Hopkinson, and has lived on the farm that Mr. Hopkinson occupied during his lifetime. Mr. Hopkins is a good farmer and a hard working, industrious man.
He and his wife both got severely injured by a collision on the Grand Trunk Railway, a number .of years ago, and both of them have suffered very seriously from it, although at the time the Railroad Co. tried to make it appear that they were dishonest in claiming damages, but after an expensive law-suit they got a small sum.
Time, and their lame and crippled condition in their old age, shows which were in the right, they, or the paid agent of the R. R. Co.
They are the parents of 5 children, all now living :
Joshna F., has a family and lives in town ; he married a daughter of the late Carr Wilson.
John lives in Lancaster, and owns and keeps the " Williams House" of that place.
Charles, has always lived with his parents and now carries on the farm, and is an industrious citizen.
Mary O., married a Mr. Wilson, and resides in Mass.
Abbie E., married a Mr. Hartshorn and has always resided in town; she now lives with her parents, having as the Court decided, a just cause for a divorce from her husband.

Was a native of Molbury, Mass., and Sarah Kennedy Hopkinson his wife born in Haverhill, Mass., came to Guildhall in April 1776, and drew their two children, Joshua who was then 3 years old, and David who was 10 months old, on a moose sled from Haverhill, N. H., and on their arrival, pitched upon the place where Wm. Hopkins now lives for their home. They cleared up the land and made for themselves, and their children a comfortable and prosperous home, and from which no deserving needy one was ever turned. He was a man of good capacity and was very prominent in public affairs: he was Chief Judge of the Essex County Court for the years 1812-15.
They had 10 children, viz :
Joshua, born April 1773, died May 1839, he married Mary Monroe, they lived on the farm where be was first taken off the moose sled, the greater part of their lives, and labored faithfully to provide for the wants of themselves and children, Wm. A., and Mary,(Mrs. William Hopkins).
Mrs. Hopkinson died Marsh 18, 1836.

Born July 8, 1775 and landed in Guilddall in April, 1776, where he lived until he removed to Derby where he died Nov. 8, 1837. He married Dorcas Hugh born Nov. 1780, died Nov. 1863. They had 9 children: Russell, Portia H,. Guy, Isaac, John H., Ann, Sarah, Dorcas and Portus. He was a very influential citizen, a man of first class ability and "acted well his part" in whatever place he was chosen by his fellow citizens, or appointed by the Government to fill, and the name of Hon. David Hopkinson is one that his childrens' children can look upon with great pride and veneration. When he lived in town he owned and occupied the lot known as the "Governor's Right," being a part of the land taken by his father when he came to Gulidhall in I776, and where his widow resided at the time of her death Nov. 18, 1863.

HENRY born Oct. 1777 went to Ill., where he died.
JOHN, born Oct. 1779 died in infancy.
SALLY, born Dec. 1783 died at Compton, P. Q.
ISAAC, bore Apr. 1785 died at sea.
NOYES, born Feb. 17 88 died at Derby. POLLY, born May 1792 died in infancy
. POLLY, born March 1795 died in Canada.
FRANCIS, born July 1796 died at Gulidhall July 31, 1817. Of all the number, not one who bears, or ever bore the name of Hopkinson is at the present time living in town, excepting Mrs. Wm. Hopkins.

Born Apr. 1773 and was brought to Guildhall when 3 years old, and ever after Guildhall was his home till the time of his death May 1839. He was a farmer and he and his brother owned and occupied the "Governor's Right," aand adjoining lots. He was a man of good ability and during his life held many offices of trust in town. He married Mary Monroe a native of Keene, N.H., born Mar. 1775, died 1836.
They had two children:
Wm. Aldrich, born 18O8, went to N. Y. where he died, 1860 : he had 3 sons and 1 daughter: Benjamin, Wm. D., and Henry. Benj. Kent to Paris, Mich., Henry died young.
Wm. D., is a resident of Paris, Mich., and by the kindness of his aunt Mrs. Wm. Hopkins we publish part of a letter which shows the necessity of town histories and family records being kept, as well as information which the present residents and those who shall take their places can look at with great pleasure, feeling that an influence has gone forth from the dear old town that is doing good not only for the present but for the future.

"Paris, Mich., May 26, 1885
David Hopkinson, Esq., Derby, VT.
Dear Sir:
My father died when I was eleven years of age, about 25 or 26 years ago, and knowing that he came from Vermont I write to you to ascertain if possible. some information is regard to my ancestry. My father Wm. Aldrich Hopkinson died at Corning, N. Y. Being left homeless I went on the Erie Canal for two years, saved my wages, went to school, finally to College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Came west, taught school many years, and now have the superintending of 87 schools. My father was well educated and followed civil engineering: helped to survey northern Michigan in 1842, being then in the U. S. Survey.
What I want to know is, can you give me information that may enable me to trace my geneology back. I have a dim recollection of many things my father said of Vermont."

Mary, the daughter; married a Mr. Smith and resides in Michigan. It would be gratifying if we could publish more in relation to the Hopkinson families but must leave it for some of the descendants, who can if they see fit gather the information, and 'cause to be kept a very interesting family record.

Mr. Howe, settled in town in the year 1779; we are unable to learn much of him. He at one time occupied the Pliny Rosebrook farm.

Settled in town in 1779; he was a substantial and independent farmer and one of the pillars of the Church. He had quite a number of sons but they have, we believe, all removed west. One of his daughters was the wife of the late Mr. Anson Fisk, formerly of this town.

Settled in town about 1780. His wife was the daughter of Capt. Eleazer Rosebrook; they had a large family and both lived to a good old age. He was for many years one of the most respectable, substantial and active citizens of the place. Mr. Rowe died in April 1842.

Came to Guildhall in 1817. He with his son Horace resided on the north road. He was the oldest person who has died in the town ; Sep. 1854 aged 93 years and 5 mos.
His wife died in Sep. 1857 aged 93 years and 2 mos.

Came with his father Calvin Hubbard in 1817, commencing to clear land and farming in the north road.
He was s successful farmer and left when be died the farm now owned by his son John. He was a man of considerable public spirit and held several offices, among which he was Assistant Judge of the Court, and represented the town 1831 and 1840. His wife's name was Elmira Woodss and they had four children; Maria, George, Ann Eliza and John.

Born August 28, 1816. He married Miss Lois Hall in 1847, she died in 1863. His second wife was Frances White whom he married in 1864, she died March 1873. Lucy Rickards his third wife he married in 1875.
His children are Thomas H., Horace E., Mary L., Herbert and Millston.
Mr. Hubbard is a prominent man in town, he has, in years past, been the leading merchant of town; being very successful in the business. He represented the town in 1857, and has held other town offices.

Son of George Hubbard; born Feb. 21, 1850. He resided in town for quite a number of years, being a merchant, but finally removed to Watertown, Mass.
He is engaged in the wholesale paper business at Boston, being one of the leading salesmen for the firm of Pulsifer, Jordan & Pfaff, one of the largest and best paper houses in the United States.

Born April 20, 1854. He married Miss Edith A. Rickards May 6, 1879 and they reside in town. He is an enterprising and capable men, and keeps one of the stores in the village which he has successfully managed for the past few years.

Youngest son of the late Hon. Horace Hubbard, carries on the farm which his lather did before him, on the north road. He is one of the leading farmers of the town.
He married Susan D. Massure July 2, 1846. Their children are: Calvin H, Celia P., George A., Charles E., Ann Eliza and Harry. Mr. Hubbard married Harriet Woodbury March 20,1860. Their children are, Lois M., Lilla H., William D., Ernest A. and Mabel H.

Came to this part of the country as a surveyor, and located in Guildhall, the exact year we cannot give. He surveyed the line between Guildhall and Maidstone in 1786, and also surveyed other towns along the Connecticut River about that time. He was the most prominent surveyor of these days and he did more to smooth over the hard feelings which existed between the settlers and the proprietors than any other man. He certainly resided in town in 1796, for June 20th. of that year a town meeting was held at his house.
Hon. Eben W. Judd was the most public spirited man who has ever lived in the county, and was without doubt one of the best, most prominent and honorable citizens of the town. He suceeeded Col. Ward Bailey in the ownership of the land now comprised in the village, or what was once known at lot No. 1 of the twelve first settlers' lots. He had the road, which is now Main Street in the village, laid out 6 rods wide, for a mile from the common, which common in 1797 he gave to the county, on which to build a Court House, Jail and for a common. He did not give a deed of this land to the county until 182l, in which is the following :

June 6, 1821.
Consideration $1...
Acknowledged before Samuel S. .Philps Justice of the Peace. June 18, 1821.
Easterly 1/2 of lot No. 1 on the north side of the River Road leading down through said town of Guildhall meaning to convey that part of said lot which lies east of a line extending parallel with and from the westwardly end of the new Goal House in said Guildhall to the aforesaid River Road, for the purpose of a common and no other."

He moved from Guildhall to Middlebury where he was engaged in the marble business, residing there until his death.

Came to town about 1832 residing on the hill, but in 1852 he removed to the valley and for years operated the farm now carried on by his son Charles. He was a leading citizen in town. He died in 1861.

Son of Daniel Keith, was born July 1831, and has resided in various places but is now living in the village.
He married Miss Thankful Jackson who keeps a millinery and fancy goods store.

Was born in town, Aug. 29, 1833. He married Emeline M. Joslin, Oct. 14, 1874. and they live on the farm already alluded to, which is about 1 1/4 miles west of the village.
He has almost continuously for a long time held the important town office of collector of taxes and for quite a number of years been one of the Deacons of the Cong'l Church. Dea. Keith is considered one of the clear headed men of the town, and the fact of his so successfully carrying out his ideas in public life amply proves the above statement.

Was born in Canterbury, N. H., Sept. 28, 1795, and when he was 22 years old he went to Stewartstown, N. H. where he resided some 40 years. He came to Guildhall in 1857 and lived here until his death Sep. 1st. 1882. He was 3 times married, and father of 4 children.
Mr. Kent was a soldier in the war of 1812.

W. H. LEITH, M. D.
Born at Haverhill, N. H., in 1859; was educated at the common schools in that town and at the Academies at Plymouth, N. H., where he led his class. He then went into Dr. S. P. Carbie's office at Haverhill. He took his first course of lectures at Burlington in 1881 ; was President of class in 1883 and ranked among the very first in the class. He located in town in 1884, and has been very successful in the practice of his profession, and it is hoped that he will see fit to make Guildhall his permanent residence.

Came to Guildhall a few years since and bought the farm on the hill formerly owned by Wm. H. Meacham. He is doing a prosperous business for a farm of it's size in a town so far from the markets where most of the products that a farmer has to sell now days are disposed of. He is an active member of the M. E. Church ; is one of the stewards, and at the Present time chairman of the financial board.

Born Sept. 7, 1799 at Charlestown, N. H. He followed the business of farming all his life, and was a good citizen; was married in Guildhall to Clarissa Cutler in 1819.

Was born in 1825, married Lydia M. Rosebrook; resided in Guildball till the date of his death Nov. 18, 1882. He was a successful farmer, considering that he had but little capital when he commenced to do business for himself; the last few years of his life he carried on the "Fiske farm" to the satisfaction and profit of the owners, as well as his own. His wife was a very industrious, estimable lady and prudent housekeeper; she died June 15, 1879.
They had four children, one son and three daughters; one of the daughters, the youngest, died only a few days previous to her father's death; the other two reside in Mass. the son Pliny W., carries on the same farm his father did. His second wife, Miss Orril Rosebrook, a sister of his first wife, now resides in Watertown, Mass.

Born Feb. 3, 1831, married Sarah Denison Aug. 1859. They have four children. He moved into the toll house at Northumberland in 1879; he previously lived in Guildhall.

The youngest son of Henry Meacham was born Oct. 23, 1840. He was a brave member of the 1st. Vt. Cavalry; he was killed at Winchester, Va. May 25, 1862.

Born at Concord in 1810; was a pedlar and sold dry and fancy goods through Caledonia and Essex Counties for a number of years, then went into trade at Lunenburg and did a good business, keeping an eight horse team on the road all the time hauling produce to the markets of Portland and Boston, and goods back for his store. But the custom of trusting out goods to any and every body proved disastrous in his case, and he was obliged to fail, for the reason that those he owed wanted and were determined to have their pay, while those who had received credit at his hands did not seem to care what became of him provided they could evade the payment of the claims he had against them; afterwards he kept a hotel at Lunenburg Corner till it, with the out building's were burned; this was about 1851. He went to Northumberland Falls and kept a hotel for a few years; then he removed to Maidstone and carried on a farm till 1868 when he came to Guildhall and built a house in the village, where he lived till the time of his death Dec. 3, 1878. Soon after coming to town he was elected a Justice of the Peace and was the trial Justice until he died, being one of the best, if not the best that ever performed the duties of that office in Guildhall. The writer remembers on one occasion, when a person had been complained of for violating the liquor law, and brought before him for trial, (although not a very great admirer of the law himself.) After hearing both sides, he announced "that this respondent is here to answer to a violation of a law of the State of Vermont, and .what the opinion of any man or set of men might be as to the law being right or wrong it is not a question I have anything to do with, but while it remained on the statute book, and I have anything to do as a magistrate I shall try and enforce it. I find the respondent guilty of two first offences, and adjudge that he pay a fine of twenty dollars and costs." At the next election this violator of the law tried to defeat Esq. Morse, but he was elected almost unanimously, and the job of trying to prevent his election as a Justice was never again attempted.
He was twice married, and his second wife died at Lancaster in Aug. 1886.
He had two chiIdrea by his first wife :
Mrs Sylvester Poole, of Northumberland,
and Mrs. Robinson, of Boston;
and five children by his second wife,
three sons and two daughters,
the sons all went to Mass.,
one daughter married Sylvester Rich, a native of Maidstone and resides at Springfield, Mass.,
the other married a Mr. Wilson who died at Lowell, Mass. a few years since, she now resides at Lancaster.

Came to town 1836 and resided on the "Burge farm." He married Lorinda M. Seaver in 1838. He died 1873.
Their children are:
John Q., Thomas H., Lucy M., Frank M., Arthur J., Chas. E., Geo. A., Joseph D., Lorenzo L., and Etta A. All the children living have removed from the town.

Was born in Orford, N. H., Oct. 27, 1812. When he was quite a young man his family moved to Piermont, and it was at this place that Mr. Poole first commenced to learn the trade he so successfully followed until his death Sept. 21, 1885. His stay at Piermont was comparatively a short one for soon after he removed to Haverhill, and there resided until he was 29 years old.
He married Miss Abbie Ann Ames Oct. 31, 1841; they resided at Farmington, Me., most of the time and came to Guildhall in 1857 ; their children are:
Wm. A., born 1848,
Benj. F., born Oct. 1, 1846; he was so sadly drowned May 27, 1873;
Rufus K., born July 16, 1856 ;
Addie M., born July 14, 1861.
Mr. Poole was liked by all, although not so prominent in political affairs as some men, he always used good judgement, and his remarks or views on public matters carried great weight with them.

Is one of the active young men of the town; he has at various times held a number of town offices, and the prospects are that he will turn out to be a prominent man is town. Feb. 10, 1880, he married Miss Carrie M. Adams. He is a blacksmith at which trade he is a good workman.

Son of the late Hon. Moody Rich, was born at Maidstone Oct. 5, 1813 ; lived with his father till 1851 when be came to Guildhall and bought the Eleazar Whitcomb farm, on which he has ever since lived. Mr. Rich is an industrious, hard working, honest man, and one of the best farmers in town. He married Diadama Willard, a daughter of Harden Willard in 1847. They have had six children, only three are now living.
Willard, who resides in Delaware :
Marshall, who resides with his parents, is a smart young man.
The daughter married Mr. James Winslow and resides in N. Y. City.

Born in I803; came to Guildhall from Newbury in 1840 and lived on a farm in the south part of the town until 1861, when he moved to Northumberland, where he kept a hotel. He married Adeline Bayley in 1829; he died in 1864, and she died in 1869.
Of their children:
Adeline, went west in 1856 and married Timothy Allen; her present home is in Columbus, Ohio.
Estelle L., married H. T. Adams of Lancaster; they now reside in Hartford, Wis.
Helen, went to Hartford, Wis., where she married Dwight Jackson in 1875.
John B., went to Hartford, Wis., and married Emma Wheelock in 1873 ; he died in 1877.
Robert, the eldest son was drowned in 1833.

Mr. Rosebrook joined the settlement in the year 1775 and remained in town as long as he lived. He attained quite a prominent position in the business affairs of the town, being entrusted with many offices of importance.

Capt. Rosebrook was one of the early settlers, locating in 1778, and first resided on the meadow of the Jahn P. Dennison farm, and afterwards lived on what has since been known as the James Perkins farm. Daring the latter part of the Revolutionary War, he was a scout and ranger. At one time he, with a party, went into Canada on a reconnoitering expedition; but they were suspected of being spies, and upon learning this fact they at once vacated. They were closely followed and obliged to resort to means to deceive their pursuers. Coming to a stream near the head waters of the Connecticut, they built a brisk fire, and then extinguished it with water, then stepped into the stream and followed it for a mile or so, and by so doing left no traces by which the Canadians could follow them, also making it appear as though they had been gone some time. The enemy concluded upon reaching this spot that it was useless to continue the chase and so returned. "Capt. E1eazer Rosebrook madethe first settlement at the site of the Fabyan House in 1792. He opened there in 1803 the first house for summer visitors ever kept in the White Mountains. His son-in-law, Abel Crawford, long known as the 'Patriarch of the Mountains,' settled at Bemis Station in 1793. The latter's 'son, Ethan Allen Crawford, the most famous of the mountain pioneers, took Rosebrook's house in 1817. In 1819 be opened the first fort path up Mount Washington. His brother, Thomas J. Crawford, opened the first bridle-path to the summit in 1840, and his father, then 75 years old rode the first horse that ever climbed the mountain."

Came to Guildhall from Massachusetts ; settled near the Allen farm in the south part of the town. He married Lydia Dodge ; they had 17 children; ten lived to become heads of families :—Freeland, Eleazer, Dorothy, Esther, James, Lydia, Sarah, Amos, Pliny and Dexter.

FREELAND, married Mary Kilby and settled in Brighton, Vt., they had ten children.
ELEAZER, settled in Gouldsborough, Me.
DOROTHY, married Abel Benjamin, had 3 children: Johnathan, Abel and Mary.
ESTHER, married Uriah Stewart and lived on the farm now occupied by I. Marshall; had three children.
JAMES, married a Miss Whipple, had five children.
LYDIA, married Wm. Amy and lived on the farm where Henry English now resides; had one child, now Mrs. Frank Keyes of Watertown, Mass.
SARAH,: married John Crawford and lived on the farm now occupied by O. Crawford; had 4 children, Chas. Sarah, Erastus and Calvin, now of .Watertown, Mass.
AMOS, .married Hannah Camp and spent their last years in Guildhall ; .had 3 children that lived to adult age, Emily, Elbridge and Albert.
PLINY, married Elizabeth Amy and commenced farming on the hill, lived there two years, then moved to Burk, lived there 13 years; returned to Guildhall and spent the remainder of his days on the farm now owned by his sons William and Ashley ; had 5 children, William, Elizabeth, Lydia, Ashley and Oril.
DEXTER, went west and died in Dubuque, Iowa.

Son of PlinyRosebrook, is now one ofour smart and enterprising farmers. He has been prominent in town affairs and has for many years been a valuable mambas of the Congregational Church. He represented the town in the State Legislature for the years 1872 and 1873, and has held many other important town offices.

Was born in Brunswick, August 26, 1838, and came to reside in Gulidhall in 1848. When he was 24 years of age he married Melinda Green and they reside is the village. They have had 3 children ; Ella, who died while quite young, Nelly A., born in 1864, Charles, born in 1866.
Mr. Scholl is one of the leading men of the town and county; he has at various times filled to the great credit of himself and the people of this town, many important offices.

Came to town in 1838; he has been a farmer most of the time and for a long time owned and operated the aqueduct, which supplies the village with water.

Hon. Richard Small was born in Limington, York County, Maine, September 30th, 1808. He resided there, and in the adjoining town of Buxton, till 1845. He made several voyages in a sailing vessel to the West Indies while a young man. He was married to Abba A. Jose, April 30th, 1834 at Buxton. by Rev. Levi Loring, pastor of the Congregational Church at Buxton Centre.
Mr. Small, although bred a farmer, kept a country store about five years in Limington, and afterwards about four years at a place called Scarboro Corner, in York County.
In March 1845, Mr. Small and his father-in-law, the late Mr. Alexander Jose of Buxton, purchased the General Seth Cushman farm in Guildhall, nearly opposite the village of Lancaster, N. H., and removed there the same month, going from Buxton to Guildhall, through the White Mountain Notch. Mr. Small and his family travelled the entire journey in one of the so called, Concord stage coaches of the olden time.
He was justly regarded as a leading citizen of the town and county. He represented Guildhall in the Vermont Legislature for the year 1855. he was also assistant judge of the Essex Co. Court in 1867 and 1868. At different times he worthily held nearly every important office his fellow town'smen could bestow.
Judge and Mrs. Small united with the Congregational Church in Lancaster, soon after moving to Guildhall, and he continued one of its most active, faithful and devoted members to the end of his life. He was a thoroughly upright and Christian gentleman, highly esteemed by a large circle of relatives, neighbors and friends.
In politics. Mr. Small was a whig, in early life, and afterwards joined the republican party, when it was organized, to which he remained thoroughly attached until he died. No kinder hearted man or better neighbor ever lived than Richard Small.
He died August 28th, 1882, leaving his estimable widow, his daughters Mrs. Sallie Burnside Ray, wife of Hon. Ossian Ray, and Mrs. Abbie S. Porter of Lancaster and his sons Dr. Horatio N. Small and John C. Small of Portland, Maine, to lament the loss of an affectionate husband and father.

Third pastor of the Congregational Church; a native of Gilmanton, N. H., was educated at Dartmouth, and was in his younger days a lawyer. He finally became a licensed preacher and for two years supplied the pulpit at Epsom, N. H.; he came to Guildhall October 1837, and remained in town occupying the same position until May 1844. Mr. Smith was one of those men while a lawyer, could truthfully be called an ''honest lawyer," remarkable for his uprightness and integrity ; as a man artless, amiable, social and friendly, as a Christian pastor, meek and zealously engaged in promoting the spiritual and temporal interests of the church and people. He was instrumental in advancing all interests of education, and whatever would serve the welfare of the people was his delight.
"He in some degree fell a pray to the malice of some whose errors and enmity his zeal and faithfulness corrected or reproved, and in his moral character was most villainously traduced and greviously wronged." The church did not uphold and sustain him as it should have done, and it is a noticeable fact that from that day to this, it has not enjoyed anytting like its former prosperity. After leaving here he went to Maine where he was engaged by the Maine Missionary Society for years.
Says the council, in dismissing Mr. Smith, "We rejoice that, among the reasons assigned why brother Smith's pastoral relation should be dissolved, nothing was presented derogatory to his Christian character, or his standing as a minister of the Gospel; and could cheerfully recommend him to the churches of Christ as a faithful, devout and worthy minister." By his labors 67 were added.

About 1826 Capt. Simon Smith, who was a native of Plainfield, moved to Maidstone, and settled on what was at that time called the "Worcester Bow." His family consisted of a wife, 3 sons and 3 daughters.
After living there a number of years—during which time most of his children married and settled in different parts of the country—he sold his farm and moved with his youngest son Frederick W. to Guildhall, on the farm now owned by Nelson Call.

Was married in 1847 to Miranda, daughter of Oliver L. Woods of Northumberland. in April 1853 Mrs. Smith died, leaving one daughter, Mary Minerva, then five years of age. Mr. Smith resided in Guildhall until his death in June 1881, at the age of 64 years.
Capt. Simon Smith was of rather a roving disposition, and it is related of him that be a number of times in his younger days journeyed west with his family with a view to settle there, but would become discontented and return; this was before the days of railroads and these trips were made with a team of horses or mules, and once a number of valuable cows shared the journey. Frederick was of a different turn is this respect and though at various times in his life be had occasion to travel through the greater part of Me., N. H., and Vt., and was a man of much observation and profited thereby, he was strongly attached to the home of his adoption. The family were all of a social disposition and possessed to a greater or less degree a vein of humor which rendered them particularly genial and companionable.

Second pastor of the Congregational Church, was from Taunton, Mass. He graduated at Brown University in 1821 ; studied theology with Rev. A. Cobb, of Taunton.
His first labors in this part of New England were in the capacity of a missionary, preaching in Burke, Granby and other places about a year. Tho Guildhall church gave him a call and Sep. 29, 1830 he was ordained pastor, and continued that relation until May 5, 1836.
He was considered a faithful pastor and was very successful; during his ministry, 28 were added to the church. He went to N. H., from there to Ill. He died Feb.28, 1863.

Has been a resident of Gulidhall for a long time. His wife was a Miss Bryant; they have two children, a son and daughter; the son Wm. W. lives with his parents ; the daughter married a Mr. Conell and lives at Brighton. Mr. Waid has, since be lived in town, followed farming and has been fairly successful for a man who has had only a small farm to get a living from.

Born May 20, 1800 at Greenwich Mass. Father's name Daniel Washburn, who died at Guildhall May 27, 1841, aged 71 years 10 months. Mother's name Millitiah Hooper Washburn who died at Guildhall, July 14, 1852, aged 78 years 5 months. He came to Guildhall with his parents March 1817, and has ever since resided in town and has pursued the occupation of farmer and lumberman.
For a number of years he owned and operated the "Washburn saw mill" (so called) situated on the north road in Maidstone, and has always been a hard working, honest and worthy citizen, respected by every one; and when he shall have passed the dark river to that land of rest where he can he relieved from the cares and embarassments that have been so constantly present with him in his long life of toil and industry, he will be able to do what but few men can do in this or any other community—leave a pure, spotless and irreproachable name. He is the oldest person in town, and the oldest member of the Congregational Church of Guildhall living.
He was twice married ; his first wife's name was Susan Cutler, by whom he had three children; she was born at Guildhall in 1804 and died January 20, 1832, aged 28 years. His second wife's name was Harriet Washburn who was born at Springfield, Vt., in Nov. 1804,and died at Guildhall April. 12. 1878, aged 78 years and 5 months, and they had nine children, five boys and four girls. Both of his wives were in every way worthy to be the helpmeets of so worthy a man.

Brother of Zephaniah K. Washburn, was born at Greenwich, Mass., June 19, 1802, and came to Guildhall with his parents from Springfield, Vt., in March 1817.
His wife, Pamelia Randall, was born in Springfi eld, Vt., Feb. 1806, is now living and is a remarkably smart, intelligent and industrious old lady for a woman of 80 years. They were married in 1826 ; had 11 children 7 boys and 4 girls, of whom 1 son and 3 daughters are now living. Mr. Washburn has followed the business of farmer and lumberman, until recently, when on account of his advanced age he was obliged to surrender and give up the lumber business, which he had industriously followed winters for a long number of years ; he has probably handled a greater number of pine trees and pine logs in his day than any man now living in Essex County, and it is doubtful if there ever has been his equal in this particular branch of lumbering in this section, and what may be considered strange is that he did all this hard work, together with the perplexities and anxieties attending such a business, at a very small profit, if he ever realized any; for now in his old age, although not a poor man, he is not a man of as much worldly goods as he ought to have, had he riceived a decent compensation for the many years of hard labor he devoted to the business. He is 84 years old, and while his brother Z. K. is only two years older and is very deaf and almost blind, he is as athletic and young in appearance as men in general at 70, and it is to be hoped that he may be allowed to live many years in health and prosperity, and at last when he shall have passed any he will have left an example of willingness to undertake and perform any labor however hard, without hesitation or flinching, whether he was working at a profit or loss. When he was a young man, it was the custom if a person wanted to go anywhere to "just step out and take a walk;" he walked 60 miles a day without the least trouble or weariness, and the writer has frequently heard him invite some young man to take a short walk with him just to see how they liked it, but as "discretion is the better part of valor" his invitations have not been aceepted.

While in Guildhall he lived on the farm now occupied by A. A. Gray and was a good farmer, industrious man and good citizen. He moved to Lancaster, N. H., about 1870 where he died.

Born at Lyman, N. H., in 1794; came to Guildhall while a young man and carried on the mercantile business for a number of years; bought and sold timber lands at a large profit, and as a result accumulated a handsome property, and had it not been for the law suits which he indulged in, he would have left a much larger sum for his heirs than he did. He was sheriff of the county for a number of years and the most noted and effcient one that the county had ever had up to his term of office. He was sheriff at the time the land sale called the "Webb sale" was made which gave him a wide and extensive acquaintance and notoriety it having been claimed that this was the only good sale that had been made to that time, though it has lately been asserted that it was not a good sale, yet the question as to its validity has not been decided by the Supreme Court of Vermont.
He was twice married; his fist wife being a daughter of Capt. Simon Smith, she died May 1, 1849, and his second wife Suesn Hall, widow of Henry Hall and daughter of Seth Eames Esq., of Northumberland ; they were the parents of three children, only one of whom is now living; Seth Webb of Winthrop, Me., who is the owner of a hotel in that town. His second wife died July 1886.

Was born in Guildhall ; married Miss Abbie Jackson, and owns and resides on the J. Q Peabody farm. He is a man of middle age ; is industrious, and one of the best farmers in town. They have only one child, a daughter.

Between the years 1827 and '46, Mr. Welke was an attorney at the County Court, and most of the time Guildhall was his place or abode ; he finally removed to New Hampshire, and was at one time a prominent politician.

Mr. Wheeler was one of the very first settlers of the town, coming in 1764. He came with David Page and others as a hunter and trapper, pitching his tent on the south side of "Fisk's Pond;" he followed this life for a few years, but finally became a farmer. He resided in town many years, but whether he died here we do not know. We are informed that there are no descendants of his living in the town or vicinity at the present time.

And family cane to Guildhall and located in the south part of the town opposite Lancaster, on the Connecticut River, March 1868. Mr. Whiting was born at Lisbon, N. H. Feb. 1822, and married Augusta A. Bedell Nov. 1848 ;
their children are :
Stephen A., born 1850,
Abbie B., born 1852, (she married O. L. Blood in 1877; they reside in Lowell, Mass.)
Harry born 1854 died 1861 at. Littleton,
Charlie E., born 1857 died at Guildhall 1881,
Mary L., born 1862, resides with her parents at Guildhall,
Bertha N., born 1866, also resides with her parents.

Came to this county very early and settled in Maidstone; he was a young man at that time but finally removed west.

Youngest son of Harden Willard, was born August 24, 1829, became a resident of Guildhall in 1860.
Miss Mariette Follansby became his wife March 5, 1856. Their children are:
Mrs. C. E. Hubbard,
George and Mary ; this last child died when 21 months old; a brighter little girl never lived in Guildhall.
Mr. Willard has held various town offices and in other ways been prominent in town. He is considered an influential, honorable and trastworthy citizen; is a carpenter and joiner by trade, but now owns a farm on the north road and is spending most of his time taking care of and working his farm, which by his ability and industry he has made one of the best and most productive in the town.

Was born in Lemington; married a daughter of Mills D. Webb who formerly lived in Guildhall. They have six children, 4 girls and 2 boys; all young and bright, and it is a very pleasant sight to see this family of children going to and from school, and it shows that these parents have a right to feel proud and happy in their pleasant home. He carries on a small farm and also does anything that comes in his way by which he can earn an honest dollar. It would be well if the town had more such families in it.

Blind Counter