Various Genealogical Records and Biographical Sketches of
Families and Individuals, some Deceased and others still living.
A History of Guildhall, Vermont
Containing some account of the place..
ALLIN to HARTSHORN
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
H. N. ALLIN
Came with his father, Matthew Allin about 1840, and became the owner of a large tract of farming land, and at one time was the most extensive farmer in town, but could not be contented with farming business alone and embarked in the lumber business about 1870, an occupation in which he was entirely unacquainted, and about 1870 he failed for a large sum, went into bankruptcy, and left town. He now resides in the State of New Jersey.
Became a resident of Guildhall in the spring of 1842, and lived on what is known as the Perkins' farm, until April 1880 when he died. Mr. Ames was a very econominal, industrious and prudent man, a good citizen, and ever ready to lend a helping hand to those in need; and no one ever asked him to contribute to any worthy object and was refused.
Was one of the early settlers; he bad, previous to coming to Guildhall, settled at Colebrook, N. H., but finally came to this place in 1775 and commenced operations where John W. Webb now resides, in Maidstone, he supposing this to be in Guildhall; but it turned out to be included in the "Governor's Right" of Maidstone, and he lost his claim and improvements. His sons, John, Wm., Micah and Caleb, settled in Guildhall, and brought up families, but they have mostly removed from town.
Known as Esq. Amy, was an excellent carpenter and millwright. His son William, also familiarly known as Capt. Amy, was a most valuable member of the Church; he died in 1845. His death was a great loss to the Church. The clerk of the Church in recording his death speaks of him as "a valuable and beloved member of the Congregational Church."
Known as Maj. Amy was one of the most active militia officers of those days, and a man of the greatest integrity. He married Rebecca, daughter of Benoni Cutler. they lived in town over 60 years and removed to N. Y. State.
COL. WARD BAILEY
Col. Bailey, one of the 12 first settlers, appears to have been a very active and prominent man in promoting the interests and conveniences of the early settlement. He assisted in the construction of the first mills on the Mill Brook, and later built the first mills at the village on the Connecticut. He also erected the celebrated "block house" . How long Col. Bailey remained in the town we do not know; but he was succeeded in the ownership of his lands by Hon. Eber W. Judd.
During the Revolutionary War Col. Bailey was probably the most active man among the settlers ; he did much toward the protection of the people and property, and was also Commander of the "Rangers."
Came to Guildhall about the year 1852 and made his pitch on one of the wild lots in the west part of the town, and cleared up a nice farm on which be lives as happy, and apparently as contented as a king. He was a soldier in one of the Vt. Regiments daring the war of the rebellion, and was so fortunate as to escape without having been wounded, but as he grows old he shows that the life in that war was anything but a pleasure excursion.
He has had two wives ; his first wife's name was Fanny, by whom he had 4 children; 3 of whom are now living:
Mrs. Simon Stone of Guildhall.
Henry E., of Guildhall, who is a farmer, and wood worker by trade, and is a good citizen; he married a daughter of John Hubbard ; he is an active and consistent member of the M. E. Church.
The other son, Benjamin, resides in Whitefield.
His second wife was a Miss Hutchins, a very capable lady, who is one of the best nurses in cases of sickness about here.
CHARLES G. BARRETT
Born in Vernon, Conn. in 1835; came to Guildhall in 1864; he followed the occupation of farmer for a while, but the last few years has worked at the trade of joiner and carpenter. He married Amanda J. Richardson of Newbury in 1858 ; they have one child living : Nellie L., born Apr. 1860, she married George E. Morse and resides at Lancaster. Mr. Barrett has held the offices of Lister, Selectman and Justice at different times, to his credit as a faithful and impartial officer. His religious belief is of the Second Advent faith, and he has without doubt, spent more time studying the Bible than any one of his age in this section ; he is a consistent believer in the faith, which he is ready on all proper occasions to declare without fear, favor or hope of reward, further than shall await every faithful Christian. On account of the state of his health he has been deterred from entering upon the work of a minister of the Gospel, which he has by his friends been urged to do, but his health has been such that he could not, and has had to forego a calling which he has the talents to perform with ability, as he has an easy and pleasing way of speaking, which a few only are allowed as a natural gift.
WILLIAM T. BARRON
Although not long one of our townsmen, Mr. Barron was a smart, clear-headed attorney; he ; practiced at the bar of our Court from 1845 to 1848, and was a promising young lawyer, but to him the field seemed hardly large enough and he removed to Chicago, Ill., where he rose to the position of Judge; but very unfortunately, about 1860 he was killed in a railroad accident.
REV. IRA BEARD
Came as pastor of the Methodist church in 1844, which was then in its infancy; his charge extended from Lancaster bridge to Heriford, Canada. They had no church then, and meetings were held in the old court house.
Mr. Beard had a wife and one child at that time, and his receipts all told for the first year were $108.; he wrote in a recent letter, "Rather small pay, the boys of the present day would think, but, 0! if I could only strip off my coat now and put into the work as I could then how quickly I would do it, pay or no pay."
HON. CHARLES E. BENTON
Son of Samuel S., and Esther P. Benton, and yonngest child of a family of twelve children. Was born at Waterford, Dec. 11, 1825; lived at home till of legal age; had the advantages of common school education, and attended St. Johnsbury and Lancaster Academies two terms.
He came to Guildhall April 5, 1860 and bought the John P. Denison farm of said Denison, and carried it on till March 16, 1866 when he moved to the village and has lived on the John Dodge place from Jan. 8, 1868 to the present time. He has, since residing in town held nearly all the town offices at various times ; represented the town in 1866 and 1867; was senator in 1874 and 1875; appointed county clerk in 1865, which office he now holds; was a member of the republican state committee for 10 years.
He married Adda Chamberlin, daughter of Abner and Mary Chamberlin, at Newbury, Oct. 21, 1856; they have had three children: Charles A., Everett C., and Jay B.
CHARLES A. BENTON
Son of Charles E. and Adda C. Benton, was born at Newbury August 12th., 1857 and came to Guildhall Apr. 5th., 1860; was educated in the common schools, Essex County grammar school and attended the St. Johnsbury Academy three years graduating June, 1876. In the spring of 1877 he went to Lancaster and commenced reading law in the office of his uncle, and under the direction of Hon William Haywood, who took a great interest and pride in him. He was at Lancaster until the 12th of August when be returned to his home in Guildhall sick with typhoid fever, and in spite of all that could be done by find friends and a faithful physician he passed from earth August 20th. aged 20 years and 8 days.
Had he lived he had made arragnements to attend the law school at Albany, N. Y.
After he graduated at St. Johnsbury and before he went to Lancaster he spent his time in getting information and facts for the purpose of some time arranging, and perhaps publishing a history of Essex County, and much valuable aid has been derived by the author of this book from the labor and earnest zeal of this noblest one of the name of Benton.
EVERETT C. BENTON
Born at Guildhall September 25th., 1862; educated in common schools, Lancaster Academy and Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Business College; was messenger in Vermont Senate 1878 and clerk to Secretary of State 1886; went to Boston in Feb. 1882 where be is employed in an insurance office. He married Miss Willena B. Rogers January 24, 1885, and has one child: Jay Rogers Benton. They reside at Waverley, Belmont, Mass.
JAY B. BENTON
Born at Guildhall April 10th., 1870; attended Lancaster Academy, Essex County Grammar School at St. Johusbury Academy two years where he graduated June 1885; taught school one term in district No. I in Maidstone, tnee he went to New York City and was employed as musical director and librarian in the Young Men's Institute till August 1886 when he left and came home for the purpose of entering Dartmouth College where he is at the present time.
Mr. Berry was a smart and talented lawyer, and was one of the early settlers of the town, for his name appears on the church records as one of the seven who first formed the organization of the church in 1799, and in 1803 he was a Deacon. He was Chief Judge of the Court in 1822, a member of the Governor's Council 1819, 1820, 1821, 1823 and 1824, State's Attorney 1811, 1812, 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818, 1821, 1823 and 1824, and represented the town in 1816. He removed with his family to Newbury, where he practiced law for a number of years when he removed to Iowa, where he died.
Mr. Boyce located in Guildhall in 1841 selecting the north road locality as the place for his home, and at once commenced clearing land, and at length succeeded in obtaining one of the best farms in that part of the town. He was a good citizen and lived in town until his death.
JOHN H. BOYCE
Came to town with his father when quite young and resided here until his death. He owned and occupied the farm on which his brother Geo. S. now lives. He was a very industrious and upright citizen.
GEO. S. BOYCE
Was 14 years old when he came to Guildhall with his father, and he now resides on the old farm on the north road. He has held town offices at various times. He married Fannie S. Lamkin in 1854, and their children are:
Guy, born in 1856, a shoe dealer in Boston.
John, born in 1862, also in Boston.
Sadie, born 1870, is at home.
DR. N. S. BOYCE
Come with his father from Newbury when he was 12 years old. He has resided in town since, we believe. He is a professional man, having practiced medicine for quite a number of years. Not being furnished with facts which were respectfully asked for, we are not able to publish more about him.
EDWARD BUCKNAM, ESQ.
Esquire Bucknam was one of the 12 first settlers : he was one of a committee appointed to survey the town into lots, and he and Mr. Thomas Darling performed that important service in the year 1787. There are probably no descendants of his in the town now.
REV. CALEB BURGE, A. M.
The Rev. Caleb Burge ,first pastor of the Congregational Church of Guildhall, was born in Springfield, educated at Middlebury and came to Guildhall when he was about the age of 30 in the year 1808, and was installed pastor of said church on the last Wednesday of August of that year. He was of the Calvinistic school, and was the founder of the church in Guildhall, being the author of their creed and articles of faith. His labors were to establish the church in the soundest orthodoxy ; believing it indispensable that a church should be firmly grounded in the Faith.
It was during his ministry the greatest revival ever in town, or as it is termed the "great revival" occurred, and in the year 1810 over 70 joined the church, 41 being admitted on one day. His labors with the church were very successful and the loss was a heavy one to the place when he was dismissed, the reasons for which we have given ;[trans.' note: this must be in another part of the book from which this has been transcribed.] this was Feb. 16, l814; he went from here to Brattleboro, from there to Glastenbury, Conn., then to N. Y. State. We learn that while returning from a funeral at which he had preached the sermon, he was thrown from his carriage and instantly killed, and what is a singular thing his text was--"Be ye also ready, for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of Man corneth."
In person, Mr. Burge was tall and powerful, and while he resided in town he not only preached, but owned and occupied a farm. He produced a work entitled "Burge on the Atonement," which was at that early date considered equal if not superior to any that had been written upon the subject.
DEA. AZRO BURTON
Was born in Norwich Feb. 28, 1813. He married Mies Sophia Morse at Bradford March 6, 1839 ; they moved to Guildhall in 1841, on a farm in the south part of the town, where he now resides.
They had three daughters;
Addie D., born July 21, 1841, and married Col. E. R. Kent, of Lancaster, Jan. 1862;
Emily S., born Feh. 29, 1844, resides at Lancaster;
Ella M., born Jan. 8; 1849; she died quite young.
Mrs. Burton died March 27. 1861.
He married Miss Jane. P. Freeman, Feb. 18, 1869.
Dea. Barton united with the Cong'l Church at Norwich in 1839; was chosen one of the Deacons of the Church at Guildhall in 1856; be has held most of the offices in the town, some of them every year for 46 years; he never had occasion to sue any one and was never sued, and his always lived in peace with all his neighbors.
Came to town from Hartland about 1805; his son Simeon was about 15 years of age when his father came and they both thereafter lived and died in town, residing on Guildhall hill.
Born in I840 and lived on the hill until 1875 when he moved to the beautiful farm in the southwest corner of the village where he now resides. He married Martha A. Stone in 1860. Mr. Call has always followed farming as a business, in which he has been successful.
DEA. ROBERT CHASE
Son of Robert and Eliza (Jewell) Chase was born at Pelham, N. H., in 1830; came to Guildhall in 1865 and with his brother Joseph bought 1/2 interest in the water privilege and mills on both sides of the Conn. River. In the spring of 1873 they disposed of their interest in the mills on the Vt. side of the river and took the peg mill and paper mill on the N. H. side, which business they carried on in company till the death of his brother Joseph, and from that date he carried on the business alone, till he took his son Chas. D. in, as a partner in 1877. He has, since he took the mills on the N. H . side, rebuilt the paper mill, and repaired the peg mill, so that they are two of the finest and best equipped mills of their kind and size in New England. He has lived in the village of Guildhall since 1865, having bought the "Steele house" (so called) which he remodeled and virtually rebuilt, using nothing but the pine frame which was put up about 1800, and which today is as sound and perfect as it was the day it was raised; he has the best and most finely arranged house in town, if not in the county, which could be said without casting any slurs on the .other houses in the county. He has always attended to his own business in person,(and has not had the time, or seemed to have the inclination to attend to other folks' business,) and of course, has made his business a success; has given employment to a large number of men and women in his mills at good wages, and a number are working for him now that commenced with him in 1865. He has always been very liberal in giving to all charitable objects; has been one of the deacons of the Congregational church since 1868, and has shown his earnest love in his large contributions in supporting and carrying on the work, and sustaining the church of which he is a consistent and faithful member.
He married Susan Davis in 1854, a lady of fine ability, who has done her share in making a happy and comfortable New Englaud home, and at the same time has found time to aid every worthy effort to advance the welfare of the community in which she has lived so many years, and when she and her husband shall have to lay down the burdens of this life it will be a great loss to the town, as the writer thinks he is the most energetic and thorough business man who has lived in Guildhall since 1865.
They have one son who was born at Lawrence, Mass., in 1855, who is in company with his father.
Brother of Robert Chase, was born in 1832; was a machinist by trade. He went into the army and served; came to Guildhall in 1867 and was in company with his brother until the time of his death in May 1873: He was a man of fine personal appearance, and a practical level-headed business man, and every one lost a friend when he was so sadly and suddenly taken away from this life when in the full enjoyment of mental and physical strength.
MADAM ELIZA (JEWELL) CHASE
Came to Guildhall with her sons Robert and Joseph, and has resided in town ever since, and all who have known her will not think it strange that her sons should have been energetic and capable men, as she is one of the best women who ever lived in this or any other community,. and it is the earnest wish of all that she may be allowed to bless this community with her example and kind acts for many years.
Came with his wife from Lancaster about 1873; bought the Basset farm on which with their son, John F. they have since resided. They are both industrious, hard working men. John F. married a Miss Masure, a lady whose parents resided in Guildhall for a number of years.
BENSLEY P. COBB
Born Jan. 23, 1810; came to town in 1855, and resided here, with the exception of one year, until his death, Jail. 5, 1880. He was twice married; his first wife was Emily Black whom he married in 1832. His second wife Martha A. Foss, born in Strafford, N. H.. Nov. 22, 1822 he married May 7, 1840; they had 8 children, the three youngest being born in Guildhall.
HON. ORAMEL CRAWFORD
Born at Guildhall April 8, 1809 and has always resided on the same farm where he was born; has followed the business of farming all his life. He has been a man of great influence in the town, having known every one who has lived in town during his lifetime, and being regarded as a man of the strictest integrity, of course, was during his active life constantly in office of some kind, not that he was an office seeker, but his services were demanded by his fellow citizens. His health has been very poor for the past few years, and he has been obliged to give up business matters almost entirely; it is earnestly hoped that he may recover his health and live many years to enjoy the respect which is due an honest man.
He is one of the members of the noted Crawford race, so well known and admired in the W hite Mountain region for their integrity of character and blunt Yankee ways, and a nobler specimen has not as yet been produced than Oramel Crawford.
He has been twice married ; his first wife was a Miss Buck of Charleston, N, H., who died young, and his second wife Miss Catherine Bothel, a native of Northumberland, was a woman every way worthy to be the wife of such a man, and their's while she lived was a model New England home ; she died March 30th., 1883, aged 69 years.
They had three sons ;
George G. who resides with his father and manages the business since his father's health failed, is an industrious citizen ;
the second sun Harry, went to Watertown, Mass., where he is engaged in carrying on a large market-garden farm, and is a very energetic, prosperous business man, attending to his business and letting other people's alone; he married Miss Annie Rosebrook, a native of Guildhall, and didn't get cheated in the matter, for it is admitted that she is one of the nicest young ladies that was ever raised in Guildhall.
The other son Fred, of Watertown, Mass., is a young lawyer, of good ability.
COL. ISAAC CUMMINGS
Was born in Wenham, Mass., Oct. 18, 1799; moved to Northumberland, N. H., in 1806. He came to Guildhall when 15 years old to work as an apprentice at saddle and harness making with Col. Henry Hall.
He was married in 1822 to Ophelia Perkins of this town, daughter of Z. Perkins a tanner by trade; they had four children, two sons and two daughters; his oldest son Mr. Henry K. is a prominent merchant in San Francisco, Cal., the second son Isaac resides in N. Y., the oldest daughter Kate, (Mrs. Barclay) lives in San Francisco, and the second daughter Sarah, (Mrs. Merrill) died in 1867 at San Francisco. Mrs. Cummings died in 1855.
Col. Cummings was married the second time in 1857 to Hannah T. Young of Stewartstown, N. H., and had five children, four sons and one daughter; one of the sons died at the age of six years, and another at the age of 11 years.
From about 1822 Col. Cummings kept hotel 11 years. He was engaged in military affairs, and was promoted to Colonel by which title he was thereafter known. He held many offices of trust: Postmaster, Judge of Probate, Clerk of the Court of Essex County. He united with the Metho- diet Church in 1843, and was an official member up to the time of his death Oct. 11, 1880.
HON. ISAAC CUSHMAN
Was a descendant of Robert Cushman who came to this continent in the Mayflower. He came to Guildhall early in this century and located at the south part of the town. He was Judge of Probate from 1815 to '22.
Mr. Cushman in his old age went and spent the remainder of his days with one of his sons at Troy, N. Y.
GEN. SETH CUSHMAN
. Previous to coming to Guildhall, Gen. Cushman resided with his father. Hon. Isaac Cashman. in Connecticut, and was at the time of his father's settling in Guildhall studying law with an acquaintance in Vermont, and when he was ready to try for admission to the bar, Guildhall was recommended to him; he came to town and was in 1804 admitted to the bar and continued his residence with the exception of one, year until 1845 when he died, at the age or 63.
Gen. Cushman was a very talented man and probably few men possessed a greater amount and variety than he, and had his moral and religious principles equaled his natural abilities, he would have been the pride of the place and his friends .and a bright ornament of the Church and his State. He was entertaining at home, in the social circle, at the bar, and as an officer in the field.
At the bars of most counties in this part of the country he was the peer of such men as Hon. John Mattocks, James Bell and Isaee Fletcher, all "giants of their time."
Hon. James Bell, in addressing the jury of Orleans County Court in a case where a mother was on trial for the murder of her own child, as he stood up in the dignity of old age, and casting his eyes along the vacant places inside the bar, where were the wonted seats of his "fallen brethren," he said :--"May it please your honor, and gentlemen of the jury : I stood among giants, though not of them: my comrades at the bar have fallen. Fletcher! the untiring and laborious counselor, the persuasive advocate, the unyielding combatant, is where ! Eternity echoes, here! Cushman, the courtly and eloquent lawyer, the kind and feeling man, the polished and social companion and friend, where now is he? The world unseen alone can say."
Gov. Geo. N. Dale, in a letter to the author, says of Gen. Cushman: I understand him to have been a man nearly 6ft. in height, full size very erect in form and bearing, a man most decidedly accurate and a plumb in this respect, of most genteel and elegant appearance, and with faultless manners. In all that I have heard of him, 1 find no memory of a rough or vulgar expression of him, which always seemed singular when we consider his reputation for somewhat questionable gallantry. As an advocate I understand him to have been of the very finest type, very choice in the use of language and having a wonderful faculty of eliciting the sympathy of his auditors. His efforts seemed to have been temporary in their influence and effects which seem to have passed away with the occasion that produced them. I have heard such men as Judge Redfield, and Judge Smalley relate instances in which he had rescued clients from defeat in court in a manner scarcely, if ever, equalled in Vermont. His efforts before the Legislature, among which is one urging the commutation of a death sentence to imprisonment for life, are said to be the very finest ever made in the State.
Hon. Wm. Heywood says of him : He bras a man of remarkable forensic talents. He was not a deep student of the law, but his knowledge was sufficient to enable him to manage a trial skillfully. I never knew a lawyer of more resource. His perceptions were quick; almost without an effort he would understand a case and I have known him to sit down to a jury trial without instructions and render efficient aid. He was a brilliant advocate ; he was a very successful lawyer in the defence of criminal prosecutions.
I recollect that in a very important jury trial he and Judge John Mattocks were engaged in the defence and Gen. Cushman made the opening argument. After he had finished Judge Mattocks arose and said that Gen. Cushman had so argued the case that he should do best to say nothing, and he sat down. Gen. Cushman was a man of handsome presence of accomplished and gentlemanly manners. He was always kind and ready to aid the younger members of the profession. He was a man of deep sympathies. He would aid a poor man with no expectation of pay with as much zeal as though he was sure of a large fee. Guildhall was and is yet a small village and a very narrow field for a distinguished man with such talents as Gen. Cashman possessed. He had the ability to have distinguished himself in a much greater field.
But he also had failings which were a clog upon his success. A year before he died he had a paralytic shock, and though he got up so as to be around the village it was sad to see him, the wreck of an able man. He was many ways a man to be admired.
Originally came from Connecticut, he was a soldier in the French and Indian war, and a Captain in the Revolution, at about the close of which he came to Vermont, first moving to Windsor, but in 1784 he came to Guildhall; he first resided on the meadow where Mr. Rice 20 years before had first commenced, being on the farm owned by Wm. and H. Heywood. He remained there 3 years and then purchased the 12th settlers' lot and the 300 acres grant to Osgood and Bailey, including the mills, then on Spauldings brook. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace, and almost always held some town office ; he was also one of the 7 persons composing the church organization in 1899; he lived to be over 60 years of age and died in 1806 ; was buried in the north burying ground, being among the first buried there. He had a family of 7 sons, viz: Charles, Theophilus, William, Joseph, Royal, Erastus and Zara ; and 2 daughters Rebecca and Lucy.
Resided in town many years ; was prominent and active in public affairs of Town and Church, holding frequent offices of responsibility. He moved west, with most of his family, where he lived to be over 90 years of age.
Resided in town most of his life; was smart and rather distinguished as a constable and collector of taxes ; had a family of 5 sons and 3 daughters. He died, being over 80 years old, at Lunenbnrg.
Was an enterprising man ; he was chosen Deacon of the Congregational Church in 1810, and held that office till he died.
He was a smart young man, but died early in manhood leaving no family.
Was born in 1778 at Windsor, and was about 6 years old when his father came to Guildhall, and from the time he came with his father until his death he lived in town. He was a very trustworthy and smart man; he held many public offices, being Town Clerk, Selectman, Treasurer for a great many years, delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Justice, Assistant Judge of the County Court and Judge of Probate; he was also identified with the public interests of his fellow citizens in all branches during his entire life. He died in 18.56 in his 78th. year.
Was a man highly esteemed by the Church and society, possessing the confidence of all, being repeatedly honored by his fellow-townsmen and the Church, of which he was a deacon for 18 years. He was a very great help in sustaining meetings for religious worship on the Sabbaths, during the times in which the church was without a preacher; he left one child now the wife of Hon. Wm. H. Hartshorn. Mr. Cutler died Apr. 1832 in his 49th. year.
Was born in Guildhall in 1786, and was a lawyer, he went to Conway, N. H., where he died March 1861 being 75 years old. He was a very able and prominent lawyer and had a large and lucrative practice in that vicinity.
Rebecca Cutler married Caleb Amy. Lucy Cutler married and finally went to N. Y. to reside.
Was a prominent citizen, holding many offices. He was Assistant Judge of the County Court for the years 1866 and 1862. About 1861 he wrote a sketch on the history of Guildhall for Mrs. Hemenway's Vt. Gazette, which was very nicely gotten up and his work should be appreciated much more than it apparently is. He moved to Illinois Dec. l3, 1865. July 9th, 1885 he and his family made a settlement at Jetmore, Hodgeman Co., Kas., by entering a quarter section as a homestead.
GOV. GEORGE N. DALE
The subject of this sketch was born at Fairfax, Feb. 19, 1834, and lived in Waitsfield, from six months to 21 years of age. He was educated scantily in the common schools and attended Thetford Academy 2 or 3 years, during which time his limited means compelled him to pursue only those branches which he regarded as the most necessary and beneficial in the practice of law, which profession, very early in life, he had determined to follow. He read during the time required in the office of Messrs Dillingham & Durant.
He was admitted to practice at the March Term, 1856, of the Washington County Court. In December of the same year he borrowed money to defray his expenses and came to Guildhall. Here he formed a partnership with Hon. Wm. H. Hartshorn, which continued about two years. He soon became very much attached to the place and people, and did a growing business until 1861, being State's Attorney during most of the time. He was elected Representative of Guildhall in the Legislature in 1860 for the purpose of opposing the dismemberment of the County, and took part in the memorable session of April 1861. In June of the same year be was appointed Deputy Collector of Customs and took charge of the Port of Island Pond which position he held until 1866 when he was elected to the State Senate to which he was re-elected in 1867, 1868 and 1869. In the year 1870 he was elected Lieut. Governor and in 1871. He was reappointed Deputy Collector of the Port of Island Pond, which position he resigned in 1882. In November 1885 he was elected President of the Vermont Bar Association.
On the election of Judge Steele in 1866, Gav. Dale was substituted for Judge Steele in the firm of Steele & Robinson under the name of Dale & Robinson, having an office at Derby Line, and Barton. Soon after he formed a partnership with B. F. D. Carpenter Esq., having an once at West Charleston, and continued in connection with them for several years, having his office at Island Pond, where he now resides, and does a large and profitable business and is regarded as one of the ablest lawyers now living and in active practice of the law in the State.
JUDGE DANIEL DANA
After the foundation has been laid and all made ready, then the corner stone is to be laid, and Judge Dana can fitly be called the corner stone of Guildhall and the County of Essex. He was the great man of the times, coming from the State of Connecticut to Guildhall about 1795. He was the first Judge of the Essex County Court, and filled that importaut office for eleven years in all; he was also Judge of Probate for 10 years and represented the town in the State Legislature 8 years; he held many other prominent town and county offices.
He united with the Congregational Church in 1803, and was chosen Deacon in 1813. He had a numerous family none of whom are residents of this vicinity at the present time. He finally moved to New York State in 1816 and died about 1837 in the town of Pembroke, some 8 miles from Batavia, Genesee County, and his death took from the world a man who had once been one of Guildhall's most noble citizens. Of his grand children living are:
Mrs. Mary C. Dewey, widow of the late John Dewey,
and Mrs. David H. Beattie ;
a grandson Hon. Charles A. Dana has been very prominently connected with national affairs, and the large daily papers of New York City, and is now proprietor of the famous "New York Sun."
DAVID DENISON, ESQ.
Was born in 1756; lived in the south part of the town. He was one of the most prominent citizens during his life. Just what time he came to Guildhall we are unable to state, but he must have come in the early part of the settlement of the town, as his first wife, (Sarah Spaulding,) died here Aug. 20th. 1787, aged 30 years. His second wife was Anna Paine who was the mother of a wonderfully intelligent and smart family of children; (among whom was Ann, the wife of Hon. Anderson Dana, and mother of Hon. Charles A. Dana of N. Y. ; she was one of the most talented women who ever lived in Guildhall, and had a large influence over the community, and will be long remembered for the good which she did; it can be said of her truthfully, "that she rests from her labor, but her works do follow her.") She died here Sept. 3d. 1849.
DAVID E. DENISON
Was the most earnest worker in having the Congl. Soc. build its meeting house at the village in 1844 and it was principally through his efforts and management that it was done; he was a persevering and energetic man and will long be remembered by the influence for good which he exerted while here; he was born at Guildhall in April 1806 and died in Mass. 1848. He was twice married, his first wife was Esther Ann Goodrich a native of Hartford, Vt., his second wife was Amelia Nelson. His children 5 in number, and the only person in this section who ever bore the name of Denison is Mrs. Seth Meacham, who shows by her efforts for good that she has a right to claim and be proud that she is a daughter of David E. Denison.
HON. JOHN P. DENISON
Son of David and Anna Denison, was born at Guildhall in 1809 and resided here on the same farm on which his father lived till Mar. 1860, when he sold the farm and removed to Lancaster where be lived a few years and then went to Kan., where he died a few years ago. He married Mary Cooper a lady of very fine presence and ability, daughter of Hon. Jesse Cooper of Canaan. They had two sons and two daughters :
Chas. P., is a railroad conductor in Kan.;
Henry T., has been in Japan for a number of years in the employ of the United States Government.
Judge Denison was a farmer while he lived in town, and was an energetic, honest, upright man, was a consistent member of the Congl. Church, and a republican of the strongest kind, being one of the founders of the party in Guildhall. He was a man very decided and positive in what he believed to be right, and he had the courage of his convictions; and did not stop to consider on the question as to whether any popularity was to be gained or not, and of course he had strong friends and some enemies, as a man of his ability and positive notions always has, but as the wheel of time rolls on he is judged and respected for the integrity of character, and honesty of intention, while those who at the tine were finding fault and questioning the purity of his motives have dropped out of sight and are forgotten, as all unprincipled, unscrupulous persons ought to. He left a good example for the inhabitants to follow, with one exception, which was that in his willingness to assist others he was deceived and betrayed in the confidence he had in those he assisted by the use of his name, by which means he lost his property and left town a poor but honest man, and it will be a long time before the town will see his like again.
(This sketch is not written on hearsay but by the dictation of one who knew him personally.)
DR. JOHN DEWEY
By Hon. Wm. Heywood
(This sketch was originally written by Kr. Heywood for Mrs. Hemen - way's Gazetteer. As we give it, it is considerably abbreviated.)
Was one of the remarkable men of Essex County. He was born at Hanover, N. H., Dec. 5, 1794. He received his education in his profession mainly under the tuition of Dr. Nathan Smith; and his medical degree from Dartmouth College. He commenced his profession very young in Canada, remaining there till he was attacked with a disease in his eyes, which for a time threatened him with blindness. Recovering from this infliction, he established himself at Hill, N. H., and about 1822 came to Guildhall. For nearly twenty years he was the leading physician in this section. Here he became a practitioner of large experience and great skill and judgment. No man was more relied upon in case of difficulty and danger.
He gave up his profession as a business about 1846, upon becoming involved in business of other kinds. He married Mary P. Carlisle, Feb. 1832. In 1841 be moved to a beautiful farm in Maidstone. Here he and his wife kept a most hospitable home ; and many have been the times that acquaintances far and near have assembled there to enjoy such entertainment as no one else could diepense,—for the Doctor besides his liberality, had the manners of an accomplished gentleman ; and he was also .a man of fine proportions and presence. The stranger also from city or country who might chance to stop in the neighborhood was sure to be invited to partake of their hospitalities, Ana there was no obstentation in this, but such generosity was a characteristic, and the poor never went hungry from his door,"--many have been the bagsfull and the basketsfull and the back loads with which the destitute of his neighborhood have been loaded from his stores. Dr. Dewey was a man of extraordinary perseverance and great energy of character.
In politics he was a Whig, and later a republican, and it never was with half assent that he supported and advocated the measures of his party.
He was a member of the State Legislature for twelve years. He was Assistant Judge 1826-7; a member of the council of censors, and .for several years he received appointments from the Legislature, such as director of the state prison, etc. The Doctor was able in debate, and many of his speeches would be a credit to any debater and worthy of any legislative body.
Dr. Dewey entered into the support of the government with zeal to put down the rebellion, and lent every aid in his power to that end.
On a summer evening he rode to the house of a neighbor where in course of a talk upon political affairs he became excited, not from opposition (for in political opinion they did not differ,) and on his way home he was attacked by a paralysis of the brain, and when he arrived home he was insensible, and was carried into the house and died the next morning, which was July 11, 1862, and no man in all the community could have been more widely missed.
Born in 1785 and died in 1863. He married Lucinda Hopkins who was born in 1799 and died in 1888. They lived on a farm in the southwesterly part of the town; he was a good, quiet, well disposed and smart citizen, a man of no large property, but while he was able to work did the best be could to provide a comfortable home for his family. They had a large family of children, only two of whom are now living in town : Wm., who is a farmer and lives on the farm occupied by his father, and Mrs. Louis E. Webb.
JOHN B. DREW
A son of Israel Drew by his first wife is a farmer. He married for his second wife a daughter of Mr. Jed Woods. He owns a farm in school district No. 2. Mr. Drew is an industrious man and is a very useful citizen, being one of the best furriers in this section.
THE EMERY FAMILY
Joshua and Hannah Emery came to Guildhall in March 1846, moving on the "Call place" now owned by A. M. Grout; there were 7 children, 4 boys and 3 girls, one of the daughters being born after they came to town. The children were ; John P.. George C., Stephen W., Louisa L., Warren D., Elizabeth H., Elsa A. and Adeline H.
George C. died January 10, 1856 aged about 25 years.
John P. married Miss Louisa Sanderson in 1855 ; they had 7 children; he died in April 1884.
Stephen W. married Betsa Amy of this town ; they have had 6 children; 3 died in infancy and 3 are now living.
Warren D. married Ruby S. Hendrick of Concord ; they have 4 children, 3 boys and 1 girl.
Louisa G. married John F. Hartshorn and lived in Canaan, they have a boy.
Elizabeth H. married Marvin Fletcher of Canaan, and after his death married Charles Weeks of Canaan; has 4 children.
Elsa A. married John Carby of Lunnenburg; they have 2 children living, and 2 have died.
Adaline married John Flanders of Canaan.
Joshua Emery lived on the Call farm 5 years, and then moved on the Bothel place where he lived until his death in 1869; his wife Hannah died in 1876. Stephen W. and Warren D. now live on the Bothel place.
Born in 1778 and died in 1822, and Abigail, his wife born in 1778 and died in 1867, were the parents of Anson Fiske, who owned the Fiske form, (one of the largest and most productive in town, ) for many years; his wife Prudence Howe, was a daughter of Simon Howe, who owned the same farm during his life, was a model farmer and acquired a large property, and a man who never traded or attempted to make money in any other way than earning it by industry and hard work. Mr. Fiske was "off the same piece," and by industry and economy accumulated a large property. He sold his farm and timber lands some ten years ago, and went to Haverhill, N. H.. where he now resides. He has but one daughter living : Adeline, wife of Dr. Geo. Q. Rogers, who came to Lancaster about 1860, a young man, and commenced the business of dentistry, with but little means excepting an abundant supply of pluck, which is said to generate true courage. He, by his industry, study, and economy acquired a lucrative practice, supported himself and wife without help from any one and after practicing his profession some dozen years at Lancaster, he took it into consideration that in order to do a business such as he wanted to do, he must go where there was more money, and more people, and acting accordingly he went to Hong Kong, where in a few years he accumulated "his pile" and came back a year or so since apparently feeling that the wheel of fortune in his case had turned in the way he desired, and of his good fortune his numerous friends are not envious, but rejoice. He has one child, Anson Fiske Rogers, a promising young man.
CHARLES J. FLANDERS
Born in Guildhall in 1852; married Miss Helen Rickards in 1884, and they live in the village. His business for a number of years has been that of engineer for R. Chase & Co., at their peg factory; a position which requires a faithful, competent man, and as he has been in that place so long that the other help call him a fixture to the mill, which speaks sufficiently in his favor. He is a member of the M. E. Church, and now one of the strewards.
HON. PUTNEY R. FOLLANSBY'S FAMILY RECORD, ON HIS FATHER'S SIDE.
Records show that the family was a Norman family who followed the fortunes of the Duke of Normandy in his successful conquest of England in 1066. Thos. Follansby, his great grandfather, emigrated to America in 1750; settled at Newburyport, Mass. : served in the French war ; was in the battle of Lake George in 1738 and assisted in the building of fort Wm. Henry ; he was a carpenter and shipbuilder.
He had 3 sons: Wm., Benjamin and Samuel. Benjamin, (Mr. F's grandfather, ) a carpenter by trade, came to Hill, N. H., about 1800 and died there in 1836. He left a large family: had3 wives and cbildrenby them all; his first wife, (Mr. F's grandmother.) was a Peabody, from Danvers, Mass., and a relative of the late Geo. Peabody the London banker. He had 4 sons and 1 daughter by his first wife :Thomas, John, James, Willard and Ruth.
James, his father, was born in May 1800; be married Ruth Rowell in 1824 at Bradford; moved to Hill, N. H., where resided till 1827, when he went to live with Mr. F's grandfather Rowell. in Bradford, where they lived till 1839. Mr. Rowell for many years had what was then called the "western fever," and when he sold his farm it was with the expectation of going west ; but it seems he got over it.
In the fail of 1888. Mr. James Follansby and Mr. Rowell visited Essex county ; they were so well pleased that that James Follannsby purchased the Wm. Rich farm in Maidstone, which is the third farm on the river north of Guildhall. They moved in March 1839; Putney's grandfather died there in 1845, and his grandmother in 1849.
His brother, Jasper Hazen, born 1828 and died 1842: his sister, Maryette, (Mrs. H. Willard,) was born 1633.
FAMILY RECORD, ON HIS MOTHER'S SIDE.
His great great grandfather's name was Thos. Rowell, who was born in Amesbury, Mass., subsequently moved to Warner, N. H., where his great grandfather Aaron Rowell was born in 1740; he came to Bradford where he died in 181,. leaving his large farm to his son Aaron. (Mr. Follansby's grandfather, ) who married Polly Putney, daughter of John Putney who went into the Revolutionary Army at the commencement of hostilities; was with Gen. Montgomery in his ill fated expedition against Canada and fell with that brave commander at Quebec in 1715.
His grandfather had no sons, but 9 daughters all lived to old age; two yet survive, Mrs. Sally Hutchins of this town, and Mrs. Hannah Colby of Albert Lee, Iowa; his mother's name use Ruth, born at Bradford and died at Maidstone, March 1865.
HON. PUTNEY R. FOLLANSBY
Born in Hill, N. H., July 25, I826; was the oldest son.
He married Amanda Lucas Johnson Oct. 16, 1849, she was born May 1828. They have lived in town since the spring of 1870. Of their children, two died in early infancy;
Lois H.; born May 1851, died in. Oregon Mar. '84.
James L.; born Feb. 1854, is a merchant at Stayton, Ore.
Fara A ., born Dec. l859;. married T. A. Chase; resides at Derby Line.
Nellis M., born '63; died '64.
Kate C., born Apr. '67,
and Fred L., born Sep. '70 both reside at home.
Mr. FotLineby is a surveyor of land and lumber for the lumber companies which operate on the Conn. river. He is one of the prominent men of the town and county; has repeatedly held offices; has been justice most of the time since 1850. He represented Maidstone in 1852-3-8-9-62-3; was County Commisioner 1854-9; represented Guildhall 1876-7 ; was Judge of Probate 1879-80, being elected on the democratic ticket, and the' district 'was very strongly republican, a fact which speaks highly of him.
Was one of the first attorneys who located at Guildhall, and his name appears first upon the court docket. He was a very able lawyer, and had a large practice while he lived in town. He. was a highly esteemed citizen, and represented the town five years. He went from here to western N. Y. where he lived until the time of his death.
GEO. A. FORD
Came from Maidstone soon after he returned from the war of the rebellion; married Celia Hubbard and they have a large family of bright, active and industrious children. He is a hard working man and a good farmer; owns the "Call farm" on the hill, and is well situated.
HON. REUBEN W. FREEMAN
Was born in Norwich, May 22, 1785, and came to this town June 2, 1819. He married Betsey Stockwell March 26, 1812 ; of their children Ezra Belden and Phebe Jane wife of Azro Burton, are the only ones now living in town.
Mr. Freeman was one of the great men of his time, occupying many offices of trust. He was representative in 1835 and 1839 ; Assistant Judge 1833-4, and Judge of Probate 1852-3. He was a very capable farmer and left when he died an excellent farm on the hill. He died Jane 27, 1866.
EZRA SELDEN FREEMAN
Son of Hon. R. W. Freeman resides and carries on the farm his father had so successfully operated before him. It will be hard to find a man who can equal him at farming, and we shall pronounce him the best farmer in town at the present time; our statements can very easily be proven by a personal visit to his farm and then to any other in the town. He has one of the finest barns in this section, in which is a very fine silo 20 feet square and 30 feet deep with a capacity of 400 tons.
Mr. Freeman was barn March 28, 1825 and married H. Luella Aldrich, March 12, 1868.
LAURENS A. GRANNIS
Was born March 27, 1863, and Nov. 20, 1836 married Martha Cole; they have had five children:
EDWARD, born Feb, 30, 1837. He served in the war of the Rebellion. He married Hannah C. Knight in Apr. 1866, and removed to Lancaster, N. H.
TIMOTHY, born June 1841; he was in the late war; he died at Washington, D. C., January 31, 1862.
JOHN, was born July 8, 1848. He is one of the smart and capable farmers of our town.
HARRIET ELLEN, born Nov. 9, 1850. She became the wife of J. G. Merrow in 1880, and resides at Lancaster.
MARGARET ALICE, born Oct. 4, 1852. Miss Grannis is one of the noted school teachers of this section and her equal is bard to find.
Mr. L. A. Grannis and family came to Guildhall from Claremont, N. H., January 5, 1861, and located on a farm purchased of Moses Rodgers on the river road, in the south part of the town on which he now resides.
Although engaged in farming pursuits Mr. Grannis has always been deeply interested in public affairs, and his labors to promote the good management of the town have been amply rewarded, for he has enjoyed the confidence of his townsmen to quite a degree. He has for many years held, among others, the office of superintendent of schools. A man of large experience and a thorough knowledge of school matters, kindly disposition and most decided will, he has made an indelible impress upon school management, and his administration has formed a standard to which the efforts of his successors will continually be referred. He has given great attention to improving the schools of our town, and his system is clearly proving to the people, his peculiar abilities in these, as well as matters in general.
COL. JONAH GROUT
Was one of the 12 first settlers, but we do not know in just what year he camp to town: he was a man of some note among the people of those times, but we are unable to learn very much of him. The records say that a "dispute" arose between him and the proprietors; what it was about the records do not state. There are no desoeadants of his in the town at this time.
THE HADLOCK FAMILY
Hezekiah came to town about 1825 and lived where C. G. Barrett now resides; he died in 1850. His wife died in 1842. They had 3 boyr and 3 girls :
Cynthia Jane died in 1852; she was a very bright woman and exerted a great ingluence; it has been asserted that any person whom she disliked could not be elected to an office in Guildhall;
her brother Elon G., was quite a politician in his day, and was on hand to execute any plans his sister directed ; he died in 1886.
Horace M., the youngest of the family was a cripple, never being able to stand alone after he was 15 years old, but he lived to be 65; he was a good scholar and the best penman who ever lived in Guildhall.
SAMUEL R. HALL
Mr. Hall was an early settler and a prominent man; he came from Cornish, N. H., and was long known as "Deacon Hall ;" he was a practical surveyor and was much employed in surveying roads, etc. He removed from town about 1812 and became a preacher at Rumford, Maine.
He had several sons and daughters brought up here.
JOSIAH B. son of S. R. Hall was a smart farmer, but he removed with his family to Ohio in 1834 where his children were educated.
COL. HENRY HALL
Was an early settler. For many years he carried on a very extensive saddle and harness business. He was quite prominent in town and military affairs. He represented the town in the State Legislature for the year 1834.
Col. Henry Hall's grandson and oldest son of the late Henry S. Hall formerly of Northumberland; was born Aug. 1844. He came to Guildhall when he was 8 years old and has made this town his home most of the time since.
For quite a number of years he has had a store in the village, doing an extensive business. He is an influential citizen and is Postmaster for the Guildhall office. Jan. 1875. He married Sarah A. Russell; they have 2 boys living, Fred N., and Harlie S., and one son died in infancy.
HON. WM. H. HARTSHORN
A son of Colburn Hartshorn formerly of Lunenburg. He was born Feb. 10, 1819; he was educated at the common schools and academy, and located in town May 2d. 1842. He studied law with Hon. Wm. Heywood and was admitted to the bar, but by reason of other business, never practiced his profession to any extent. He has enjoyed the confidence of his fellow citizens of the town and county in an unusual degree. He has constantly been in office and has generally succeeded in meeting the approbation of his friends. He was an officer in the State Legislature 1846-7-8-Assistant Clerk of the House 1857-Represented the town 1858-9, 78-9- State Senator 1854-5- Co. Clerk from 1848 to 1863- was elected Town Clerk in 1863, which office he now holds- was Judge of Probate from 1866 to 1878 and Register of Probate under Hon. P. P. Follansby 2 years- was Post Master from 1861 to 1878- Member of the Constitutional Convention of 1870- was door keeper of the Senate in 1880, until on account of ill health he was obliged to resign- was elected Assistant Judge of the County Court in 1884 which office he now holds.
He owned and kept the Essex Hotel from the spring of 1866 to '82, when he sold it to his son Charles E. Hartshorn. He was married June 22, 1842 to Delia L. Cutler, daughter of Dea. Erastus Cutler, and has always had a pleasant home, which is very much to her credit as well as his.
They have 3 children :
Addle D., who married E. F. Palmer, Esq., of Waterbury, reporter of Vt. Supreme Court, at the present time.
Clara M., married Joseph M. Poole of So. Paris, Me., who owns and keeps a hotel at that place.
Charles E., married Miss Ada Beede and owns and keeps the Essex Hotel, as above stated; he is doing a profitable business and keeps a very good house.