HISTORY OF NEW LONDON COUNTY, CONNECTICUT,
WITH BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF MANY OF ITS PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN.
COMPILED UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF D. HAMILTON HURD
J. W. LEWIS & CO., PHILADELPHIA, 1882
PRESS OF J. B. LIPPINCOTT & CO., PHILADELPHIA
[transcribed by Janece Streig]
The Norwich National Bank-The First National-The Thames National-The Shetucket National-The Merchants' National-The Second National-The Uncas National-The Norwich Savings Society-The Chelsea Savings-Bank-The Dime Savings-Bank-The Thames Loan and Truck Company-New London County Mutual Fire Insurance Company-The Norwich Mutual Assurance Company.
The Norwich Bank was organized at a meeting held June 21, 1796, Elias BROWN chairman, and James LANMAN clerk. At this meeting eight hundred and five shares of stock were subscribed for, and the following directors chosen: Joshua LATHROP, Daniel DUNHAM, Elias BROWN, Ebenezer HUNTINGTON, Joseph WILLIAMS, David TRUMBULL, Jabez HUNTINGTON, Jabez PERKINS, Elijah HOUSE, Thomas FANNING, James LAUMAN, Luther PAYNE, and Jonathan DEVOTION. June 24, 1796, Ebenezer HUNTINGTON was chosen president and Hezekiah PERKINS cashier. August 1st, same year, it was ordered that one thousand dollars in small bills be printed and signed. Feb. 23, 1797, the first dividend was declared, two dollars per share. June 19, 1807, subscriptions were opened for twelve hundred shares of new stock. Sept. 14, 1814, specie payment was suspended.
The following is a list of the officers of the bank from its organization to the present time: Presidents, Ebenezer HUNTINGTON, 1796-1819; Simeon BREED, 1819-1822; Jabez HUNTINGTON, 1822-47; Charles JOHNSON, 1847-79; Frank JOHNSON, 1879; present incumbent. Cashiers, Hezekiah PERKINS, 1796-1822; Francis A. PERKINS, 1822-33; J. N. PERKINS, 1833-34; Charles JOHNSON, 1843-47; Frank JOHNSON, 1847-78; Stephen B. MEECH, 1878 to present time.
The bank was reorganized as a national bank May 15, 1865, with the following board of directors: Jedediah HUNTINGTON, Joseph WILLIAMS, Charles JOHNSON, John DUNHAM, GURDON A. JONES, Joseph S. GLADDING, Daniel STODDARD, Arnold FENNER, Thomas J. RIDGWAY, Frank JOHNSON, Willet R. WOOD, David SMITH, and H. F. RUDD. The present directors are Frank JOHNSON. H. F. RUDD, Amos E. COBB, Charles C. JOHNSON, and A. H. EMMONS.
The old bank has had an honorable and successful career, and has paid one hundred and sixty-nine dividends to its stockholders.
The First National Bank. -Quinnebaug Bank was incorporated at the General Assembly in New Haven in May, 1832. The first meeting of the stockholders (called by the commissioners, as provided by the charter) was held at Clark's Hotel, Norwich, June 11, 1833.
The directors chosen were as follows: Francis A. PERKINS, Charles W. ROCKWELL, Asa CHILD, George L. PERKINS, John A. ROCKWELL, Arthur F. GILMAN, Thomas ROBINSON, Edmund SMITH,--George L. PERKINS being the only survivor in 1881. Charles W. ROCKWELL was appointed president, and Francis A. PERKINS cashier. Alfred LEE (now Bishop LEE, of Wilmington, Del.) was added as a director in 1833. William C. GILMAN was chosen president, and john REED a director, in 1835. In 1839, F. A. PERKINS was appointed president and Daniel L. TRUMBULL cashier. D. L. TRUMBULL resigned in 1846.
The capital stock was $500,000, with the condition that $200,000 of the amount was to be in the capital stock of the Boston, Norwich and New London Railroad Company (afterwards the Norwich and Worcester Railroad Company), for which the bank was granted special privileges.
The stock was reduced to $245,000 in 1842, and to $225,000 in 1843, and increased to $250,000 in 1845, in which year Samuel C. MORGAN was appointed president.
In 1849, Edward H. LEARNED was appointed cashier, and the following persons directors: Samuel C. MORGAN, Frederick PRENTICE, Erastus WILLIAMS, Joseph A. YERRINGTON, John G. HUNTINGTON, Edward Y. THOMAS, Roger HUNTINGTON, Ashbel WOODWARD, Shubael MORGAN, Leonard BALLOU, Henry THOMAS, none of whom now remain in this connection, and nine of the number are deceased.
In 1850 the capital stock was increased to $350,000, and in 1856 to $500,000. Lewis A. HYDE was appointed cashier in 1854, and has held the office since.
Lucius W. CARROLL was appointed president in 1861, and resigned in 1862, when David GALLUP, of Plainfield, was appointed.
The bank was reorganized as a national bank, receiving the name of First National, in June, 1864; capital, $325,000, subsequently increased to $500,000. In 1872 it was increased to $600,000, and in 1877 reduced to $500,000, which is its present capital.
The directors first chosen by the stockholders of the First National Bank were as follows: David GALLUP, Samuel C. MORGAN, Frederick PRENTICE, Ashbel WOODWARD, John A. ROBINSON, Jeremiah HALSEY, Leonard BALLOU, William P. NASH, Frederick W. TYLER,--Jeremiah HALSEY being the only one continued in the office until the present time.
Lucius W. CARROLL was chosen president and Lewis A. HYDE cashier, which office they have retained until the present time.
The list of directors as appointed at the annual meeting of stockholders in January, 1881, were as follows: Lucius W. CARROLL, Jeremiah HALSEY, Amos W. PRENTICE, Samuel B. CASE, John A. MORGAN, Charles D. BROWNING, Francis J. LEAVENS, Charles M. PENDLETON, George R. HYDE.
The present surplus of the bank is $77,000, and late dividends three and a half per cent, semi-annually.
The bank occupies a portion of the Richards Building by lease, locate din an eligible position near the post-office.
The Thames Bank was the second institution of the kind chartered in Norwich, with a capital of $200,000, in the year 1825. The first meeting of the directors was held at Kinney's Hotel, June 30th of the same year, at which William P. GREENE, Roger HUNTINGTON, Joseph PERKINS, William C. GILMAN, Joseph BREED, and Amos H. HUBBARD were present, Calvin GODDARD being the only other director. William P. GREENE was made president, and on the 5th of July following Lyman BREWER was made cashier, at a salary of eight hundred dollars.
By the charter of the bank it was obliged to purchase all the stock of the Norwich Channel Company, and thereafter to perform all the requirements of the Channel Company as to deepening the river Thames, and were allowed to take a certain amount of tolls from all vessels coming to Norwich. This duty was well performed by this bank so long as it existed under the State charter. It was also obliged to receive deposits from the State School Fund, ecclesiastical societies, colleges, and schools at par, and paying any such dividends on their deposits as were made to their stockholders. This was performed in all cases when required.
At a meeting of the directors on Nov. 9, 1826, it was voted to build a banking-house on the lot then owned by F. A. PERKINS on Main Street. The land was purchased at once, and the building erected and occupied. In the year 1847 the capital stock was increased to $300,000, and in 1854 again it was increased to $500,000.
The business of the bank had been regularly growing, and the demand for more capital compelled the directors to favor this enlargement. In April, 1861, at the commencement of the civil war, Governor BUCKINGHAM, who was a friend and customer of the bank, appealed to the institution for aid, and the bank at once took the lead in this direction, and voted, "that to assist the State in meeting the requisition of the President of the United States for troops for the maintenance of the general government the Thames Bank offer a loan of $100,000," which was duly paid into the treasury of the State of Connecticut, when the question was an open one whether we should have any government or not. Although the number of banks in Norwich had increased until there were five others in full operation, still the business of this one had been so much enlarged that the managers were desirous of adding to its capital and enlarging its building. Steadily had it been growing in favor with the business community, more and greater had become the demands on it for enlarged facilities. In a great measure this prosperity was due to the skill and courtesy of its executive officers, who were unwearied in their attention to the business of the bank and the accommodation of its customers. Not only were the wants of the customers of the bank promptly met, but to the stockholders dividends were largely increased and punctually paid.
At the beginning six per cent, was all that could be declared, but by gradual gains for many years ten per cent was annually paid. All this prosperity called on the management to add to the pecuniary and physical ability of the institution, and in May, 1862, the bank purchased the lot on Shetucket Street, and at once proceeded to erect the building which it now occupies. In 1864 the whole business and capital of the Thames Bank were passed over, and became under the law of the United States a national bank, under the name of the "Thames National Bank," with a capital increased to $1,000,000. The officers of the bank have been William P. GREENE, president, from 1825 to 1842; Edward WHITING, from 1842 to 1851. Franklin NICHOLS was chosen president in 1851, and now is continued in the same office. The cashiers of this bank have been Lyman BREWER, until 1857; Charles BARD, until 1871, when Edward N. GIBBS was elected to the office, which he now holds.
The present board of directors with the dates of their election are Franklin NICHOLS, 1846; Ebenezer LEARNED, 1850; Alfred A. YOUNG, 1852; James L. HUBBARD, 1855; James Lloyd GREENE, 1864; Lorenzo BLACKSTONE, 1864; William G. JOHNSON, 1869; Hugh H. OSGOOD, 1869; John MITCHELL, 1869; Charles BARD, 1869; Thomas D. SAYLES, 1878; Edward N. GIBBS, 1878.
The Second National Bank was organized in March, 1864, and the first board of directors were J. Hunt ADAMS, Horace WHITAKER, David SMITH, James D. MOWRY, and Edward H. LEARNED. The first officers were J. Hunt ADAMS, president, and James D. MOWRY, cashier. Succeeding officers have been as follows: Presidents, J. Hunt ADAMS, David SMITH, 1865; Alba F. SMITH, 1874; E. R. THOMPSON, 1879. Vice-President, C. P. COGSWELL, 1879. Cashiers, James D. MOWRY, 1864; C. P. COGSWELL, 1864; E. A. TRACY, 1879. Capital, $300,000; surplus, $53,000. The present board of directors are as follows: E. R. THOMPSON, W. C. JILLSON, W. R. AUSTIN, W. R. BURNHAM, C. P. COGSWELL, and C. B. PLATT. Their new banking-house was erected and occupied in 1880.
The Uncas Bank was organized in 1852, and incorporated by general act in 1855. It was converted into a national bank in 1865. The first board of directors were James A. HOVEY, H. B. NORTON, J. S. WEBB, J. L. GREENE, J. S. ELY, W. A. BUCKINGHAM, Joseph BACKUS, J. M. HUNTINGTON, Gurdon CHAPMAN. The presidents from 1852 have been as follows: James A. HOVEY, 1852-73; Jesse S. ELY, 1873-79; Lyman GOULD, 1879 to present time. Cashiers from 1852 to present time: E. H. LEARNED, 1852-79; C. M. TRACY, 1879 to present time. The present board of directors are James A. HOVEY, John T. WAIT, Joseph HUTCHINS, Lyman GOULD, Horace WHITAKER, Adin COOK, E. S. ELY, George W. GOULD, C. M. TRACY. Capital, $200,000; surplus, $40,000.
The Shetucket National Bank.-This bank was organized April, 1853, with the following list of directors: Charles OSGOOD, A. H. ALMY, Horace WHITAKER, Isaac JOHNSON, William H. GLOVER, William H. HYDE, Gilbert OSGOOD, Charles A. CONVERSE, and J. S. T. THURSTON. The first officers were Charles OSGOOD, president, and David O. STRONG, cashier. Presidents since organization have been Charles OSGOOD and Charles WEBB. Cashiers since organization have been David O. STRONG, John L. DEVOTION, C. J. FILLMORE, and William ROATH. Changed to national bank May 15, 1865. Capital stock, $100,000; surplus, $20,000.
The Merchants' Bank of Norwich was organized in July, 1823, with the following officers and directors: Directors, F. A. PERKINS, William WILLIAMS, Jr., Walter LESTER, John LATHROP, N. K. FITCH, Charles F. LESTER, Elisha TRACY, Stephen FITCH, James L. RIPLEY, Charles COIT, Samuel KELLOGG, Sherwood RAYMOND, Epaphras PORTER, Lewis HYDE, Joseph H. DOANE; William WILLIAMS, Jr., president; Joseph WILLIAMS, cashier. Presidents since, Henry B. TRACY, John BREWSTER; cashiers since, Joel W. WHITE, James M. MEECH. Capital stock, $300,000; surplus and profit and loss, $19,158. Changed to national bank, June, 1865. Present board of directors, John BREWSTER, William C. OSGOOD, Enoch F. CHAPMAN, Lucius BROWN, David T. RUBY, and John D. BREWSTER.
The Norwich Savings Society was incorporated in May, 1824, with the following incorporators: Benjamin COIT, Charles ROCKWELL, Newcomb KINNEY, Charles P. HUNTINGTON, Eber BACKUS, John LATHROP, Joseph WILLIAMS, Russell HUBBARD, Jabez HUNTINGTON, Amos H. HUBBARD, Bela PECK, John L. BUSWELL, John BREED, Dwight RIPLEY, Isaac STORY, Nathaniel SHIPMAN, Francis A. PERKINS, Lyman BREWER, George L. PERKINS, and William C. GILMAN.
The officers have been as follows: Presidents, Charles ROCKWELL, Jabez HUNTINGTON, F. A. PERKINS, Charles W. ROCKWELL, Wm. WILLIAMS, Henry STRONG, Hon. L. F. S. FOSTER, Joseph WILLIAMS, Charles JOHNSON, Franklin NICHOLS (present incumbent); Secretaries and Treasurers, Joseph WILLIAMS, F. A. PERKINS, Jabez HUNTINGTON, F. A. PERKINS, Benjamin HUNTINGTON, Costello LIPPITT (present incumbent). Present Board of Directors: President, Franklin NICHOLS; Vice-Presidents, Lucius W. CARROLL, Amos W. PRENTICE, David GALLUP, John A. MORGAN; Directors, John BREWSTER, John MITCHELL, Hezekiah F. RUDD, Henry LARRABEE, Charles WEBB, Lucius BROWN, Bela P. LEARNED, Frank Johnson, George R. HYDE; Secretary and Treasurer, Costello LIPPITT; Attorney, Jeremiah HALSEY.
The first banking-room was in the rear of the present Norwich National Bank. From here, erected the present Dime Savings-Bank Building on Main Street, to whom it was sold after building the present imposing banking-house on Shetucket Street, the old building becoming inadequate. The first deposit was made by Dorcas MANSFIELD, $200, July 23, 1824. The bank had but two business days per months, first and third Mondays. It was several years before it opened daily. The first treasurer was voted, after two years' services, on hundred dollars, and the secretary allowed for office-room, fuel, stationery, lights, etc., to June, 1828, fifteen dollars. The first dividend declared was two and half per cent., July 1, 1825. The bank was organized with forty trustees, holding to the same at present, from which number are chosen its officers and directors, Jeremiah HALSEY being its present attorney. The amount of deposits Jan. 1, 1881, $7,522,744.67.
The Chelsea Savings-Bank was incorporated in 1858, with the following incorporators:
Erastus WILLIAMS, John DUNHAM, Henry B. NORTON, I. M. BUCKINGHAM, Lorenzo BLACKSTONE, John T. WAIT, David SMITH, Elijah A. BILL, James M. HUNTINGTON, Gurdon CHAPMAN, Augustus BREWSTER, Moses PIERCE, John W. STEDMAN, Henry BILL, John S. LESTER, Edward H. LEARNED, Learned HEBARD, Henry H. STARKWEATHER, Ralph HURLBUTT, William W. BACKUS, Comfort D. FILLMORE, S. T. HOLBROOK, James A. HOVEY, Samuel H. GROSVENOR, Timothy P. NORTON, O. J. LAMB, John P. BARSTOW, William P. NASH, Alfred A. YOUNG, Dwight BAILEY, William SMITH, W. R. WOOD, Henry HALLETT, N. B. WILLIAMS, William E. BANKER, Jephtha GEER, Thomas A. CLARK, Dudley R. WHEELER, and Walter PECK. At a meeting of the corporators held June 28, 1858, the following officers were elected: President, Lorenzo BLACKSTONE; Vice-Presidents, David SMITH, Learned HEBARD, Henry BILL; Directors, I. M. BUCKINGHAM, Elijah A. BILL, Comfort D. FILLMORE, John T. WAIT, Gurdon CHAPMAN, S. T. HOLBROOK, and Erastus WILLIAMS; Secretary and Treasurer, John DUNHAM; Attorney, James A. HOVEY.
Mr. BLACKSTONE still remains the honored president, having been annually re-elected without dissent. To his sound judgment, large experience, and unflagging interest is largely due the continued prosperity of the bank.
The Hon. Henry BILL has always occupied the office of vice-president. He was largely instrumental in starting of the bank, and is now as ever one of the most honored and valued members of the board of direction.
Hon. James A. HOVEY was continued as attorney until his election to the bench of the Superior Court, a few years since, when he was succeeded by his partner, John M. THAYER, who still holds the office. Judge HOVEY still retains a position on the board of directors.
In May, 1859, less than a year after the bank commenced business, Mr. DUNHAM resigning, Charles M. COIT was made secretary and treasurer. Mr. COIT, though a young man barely twenty-one, so won the confidence and esteem of the bank an the community that on his resignation, September, 1861, to enter the Union army, the trustees, in highly complimentary resolutions, declared that the position should be kept open for him, his successor being elected to serve only during his absence.
John B. WARD succeeded to the office, serving until July, 1865. On his resignation Col. COIT was again elected to his former position by a unanimous vote, and filled the office to the entire satisfaction of the bank until his sudden death, July 3, 1878.1 [1 Resolution passed by directors of the bank: "Resolved, That in the recent sudden death of Col. Charles M. COIT, our secretary and treasurer, this bank has suffered the greatest loss which it has ever been called upon to bear. We have lost one who has been identified with the bank for nearly twenty years, in whose sound judgment and business capacity we have always had the greatest confidence; one whose integrity, both in thought and deed, was such that it seems impossible to replace him."]
He was followed by his brother, George D. COIT, then treasurer of the Dime Savings-Bank, who is still in office.
The present officers of the bank are as follows: President, Lorenzo BLACKSTONE; Vice-Presidents, Henry BILL, John F. SLATER, John T. WAIT; Directors, James A. HOVEY, John P. BARSTOW, O. J. LAMB, Oliver P. AVERY, Edward HARLAND, George D. COIT, Henry H. GALLUP, David A. BILLINGS, Charles J. RICHARDS; Counsel, Jeremiah HALSEY; Attorney, John M. THAYER; Secretary and treasurer, George D. COIT; Assistant Treasurer, Charles B. CHAPMAN.
The first deposit in the bank was made July 1, 1858, in the name of Julia O. BILL, and to the amount of $100. The amount of deposits Sept. 1, 1881, is $3,300,000, in addition to which is a surplus fund of about $100,000.
The ample assets of the bank are invested with a view first to unquestioned security, then to the yielding of a fair income, and the ease and rapidity of conversion into cash in case of need.
Thus we find the bank holds over a million and a half dollars of real estate and collateral loans, over half a million governments at par, and over a million other choice municipal and railroad bonds, bank stocks, and other cash assets. If necessary, the bank could in a week's time convert one-half their securities into ready cash.
This institution is noticeable for the spirit of harmony which has pervaded its management. Personal interests and feelings have been largely subordinated to the welfare of the bank, and its abundant prosperity has been a source of honest pride to all who have had a hand in achieving it.
Such an institution is a blessing to the community in which it is located. It operates in both directions, offering the opportunity and inducement to thousands of frugal investors to accumulate their savings in a safe and profitable repository, and with these same accumulations provide the necessary capital to render possible a large part of our pleasant homesteads and busy manufactories.
The Dime Savings-Bank. -This bank was incorporated in May, 1809, with the following incorporators: Amasa C. HALL, Edward N. GIBBS, Francis J. LEAVENS, Gurdon A. JONES, Jr., N. T. ADAMS, E. R. THOMPSON, Albert S. BOLLES, Hugh H. OSGOOD, Julius WEBB, P. S. M. ANDREWS, Charles T. PALMER, Elijah KINNEY, Willis R. AUSTIN, Charles L. RICHARDS, James BURNETT, Curtis JILLSON, Horace WHITAKER, John E. WARD, William C. OSGOOD, and E. B. TRUMBULL.
The first president was E. R. THOMPSON, who has since held the office.
The secretaries and treasurers have been as follows: George D. COIT, William G. ABBOTT, and J. Hunt SMITH. The present trustees are E. R. THOMPSON, E. N. GIBBS, Francis J. LEAVENS, N. T. ADAMS, A. S. BOLLES, H. H. OSGOOD, Chas. T. PALMER, W. R. AUSTIN, C. D. BROWNING, James BURNET, Curtis JILLSON, Horace WHITAKER, Azel W. GIBBS, Wm. C. OSGOOD, Frank JOHNSON, A. E. WYMAN, George D. SPENCER, W. R. BURNHAM, Thomas CLARKE, C. E. GRIGGS, Chas. H. ROGERS, H. E. BOWERS, Chas. W. CAREY, Wm. G. ABBOT, Fred S. CAMP, S. B. MEECH, Gardiner GREENE, Jr., and J. HUNT SMITH.
The first deposit was made Sept. 27, 1869, by Chas. P. COSGROVE, Jr.; amount, five dollars, The deposits, May 1, 1881, amounted to $1,145,868.96.
The Thames Loan and Trust Company.-This company was incorporated June 4, 1869, with the following members: Lorenzo BLACKSTONE, Ebenezer LEARNED, Franklin NICHOLS, George PRATT, James L. HUBBARD, Hugh H. OSGOOD, William A. AIKEN, Edward N. GIBBS, F. A. DORRANCE, John MITCHELL, and Charles BARD.
The presidents have been Franklin NICHOLS, L. F. S. FOSTER, and Charles BARD; secretaries and treasurers, Charles F. Setchel. Edward N. GIBBS, Charles BARD, and J. Hunt SMITH.
The present trustees are Franklin NICHOLS, Ebenezer LEARNED, James L. HUBBARD, Lorenzo BLACKSTONE, Charles BARD, Gardiner GREENE, Hugh H. OSGOOD, John MITCHELL, Edward N. GIBBS, James O. SWEET, and J. Hunt SMITH.
Is a depository for trust and estate funds, and does a general business in stocks, bonds and securities.
The New London County Mutual Fire Insurance Company was incorporated in July, 1840, with the following incorporators: Joseph BACKUS, Henry B. NORTON, William P. EATON, Newcomb KINNEY, and F. PRENTICE.
Presidents since incorporation, Joseph BACKUS, Joel W. WHITE, John G. HUNTINGTON, Elijah A. BILL, and Ebenezer F. PARKER.
Secretaries since incorporation, John DEWITT, John L. DEVOTION, C. J. FILLMORE, and William ROATH. Surplus, Jan. 1, 1881, $57,993.93.
Present board of directors, E. F. PARKER, P. St. M. ANDREWS, John A. MORGAN, H. H. ROATH, William L. BREWER, D. P. COON, Charles WEBB, William ROATH, Jedediah HUNTINGTON, and Charles L. RICHARDS.
The Norwich Mutual Assurance Company was chartered in 1794, and the first meeting was held at the old court-house in Norwich Town, Dec. 28, 1794. Joshua LATHROP was one of the incorporators. Zachariah HUNTINGTON was the first secretary. Since 1844 Henry B. TRACY and Asa BACKUS have held the office of secretary and treasurer.
The Norwich Marine Insurance Company was chartered in 1803; capital, $50,000. Joseph HOWLAND, president; Shubael BREED, cashier.
The Fire Insurance Company was organized in 1813. Ebenezer HUNTINGTON, treasurer; Joseph WILLIAMS, Secretary.
These two companies were consolidated by act of the Legislature in October, 1818, and incorporated the Norwich Fire Insurance Company. Capital, $100,000; increased to $200,000.
First president, Charles P. HUNTINGTON. Joseph WILLIAMS, secretary, from 1818 to 1855. Obsolete.
Thames Fire Insurance. Incorporated 1859; capital, $200,000. Amos W. PRENTICE, president; B. B. WHITTEMORE, secretary. Assets, Jan. 1, 1866, $249,747.97.
Steamboat Companies. -The communication with New York by steamers was inaugurated in 1817, and with but little interruption has been continued to the present time. The merchants of Norwich and New London were mutually interested in the earlier boats, and united in forming the first incorporated companies.
The Norwich and New London Steamboat Company was organized in 1848, with a capital of $200,000; Henry B. NORTON, president. This line ran their boats in connection with the Norwich and Worcester Railroad, the terminus being at Allyn's Point. Among the boats employed were the "Cleopatra," "Norwich, "Worcester," and "Connecticut." The "Commonwealth" was built for them in 1855, and sold in 1860, about which time the company discontinued their operations, wound up their affairs, and was dissolved.
The Norwich and New York Transportation Company was organized under the general act in 1860. The present capital is $500,000. The presidents have been as follows: Capt. Joseph J. COMSTOCK, David SMITH, Alba F. SMITH, and Moses PIERCE, all of Norwich except Capt. COMSTOCK. Augustus BREWSTER was the first treasurer. The present treasurer is O. L. JOHNSON, Jr., P. St. M. ANDREWS has been secretary from the beginning.
This company was formed for the purpose of facilitating the operations of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad Company by furnishing an advantageous connection with New York. It was indebted for its origin, organization, and subsequent success chiefly to the president of the railroad, Mr. BREWSTER, who, as treasurer of the company, was the general agent and efficient manager of the business from that time to March, 1866, when he resigned the office.
This company have four fine steamers. The "City of Boston" made her first trip from New York July 4, 1861; the "City of New York" eighteen days later, July 22d. The first trip of the "City of Norwich" was July 19, 1862; of the "City of New London," May 22, 1863; of the "City of Lawrence," Feb. 28, 1869; and the "City of Worcester," Sept. 26, 1881. This palatial steamer was built in Wilmington, Del., at an expense of about $1,000,000, and is one of the finest steamers plying on American waters.
The present board of directors of the company is as follows: Moses PIERCE, Francis H. DENEY, William T. HART, James H. WILSON, W. Bayard CUTTING, Chas. W. COPELAND, G. W. GILL, G. W. PHILLIPS, and Oliver WOODWORTH.