HISTORY OF NEW LONDON COUNTY, CONNECTICUT,
WITH BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF MANY OF ITS PIONEERS AND PROMINENT MEN.
COMPILED UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF D. HAMILTON HURD
J. W. LEWIS & CO., PHILADELPHIA, 1882
PRESS OF J. B. LIPPINCOTT & CO., PHILADELPHIA
[transcribed by Janece Streig]
ORIGINAL PROPRIETORS AND OTHER EARLY SETTLERS - PART B.
JOHN OLMSTEAD married Elizabeth MARVIN, and settled at Saybrook, where he was appointed leather-sealer in 1656. He is mentioned incidentally upon the Saybrook records in 1661 as "John OLMSTED, of Mohegan, shoemaker," which shows that he had removed to the new plantation. At this place, however, he appears as a doctor or chirurgeon, and was undoubtedly the first physician of the settlement, though the articles enumerated in his inventory would imply that he still continued his practice with the last and lap-stone. For several years he was on the grand jury of the county.
He possessed a considerable estate, and was very precise respecting the date and bounds of his grants.
JOHN PEASE. The name of John PEASE appears incidentally at New London in 1650, and it may be conjectured that he was a seaman, then belonging to Boston or Martha's Vineyard. It is probable that he resided for a time at Saybrook before joining the company of Norwich proprietors, and that he took a family with him to the new settlement. His home-lot was at the western limit of the town plot, and bore the date of November, 1659.
But in the course of a few years his family, if he had one, his possessions, and his character had all passed away. The court record for 1672 bears the following item:
"John PEASE complained of by the townsmen of Norwich for living alone, for idleness, and not duly attending the worship of God.
"This Court orders that said Townsmen do provide that PEASE be entertained into some suitable family, he paying for his board and accommodation, and that he employ himself in some lawful calling, which if be neglect or refuse to do, the townsmen may put him out to service in some approved family. Except he dispose of his accommodations and remove out of the town."
JOHN POST. The marriage of John POST and Hester HYDE, "in the last of March, '52," and the births of four children are found on record at Saybrook. Four other children are recorded at Norwich, and they likewise had daughter Mary, not registered at either place, born probably in 1662, comprising in all a family of two sons and seven daughters.
THOMAS POST. No reference to the family of this proprietor has been found at Saybrook. His existence seems not to be recognized anywhere but in Norwich. From the records of this place we learn that he married Mary ANDREWS in January, 1656, and that she died at Norwich in March, 1661, and was buried in a corner of her husband's home-lot as heretofore related.
JOSIAH READ. The marriage of Josiah READ to Grace, the daughter of William HOLLOWAY, took place at Marshfield in November, 1666. At this time he had probably cleared his home-lot and prepared his domicile in Norwich. About the year 1687 he removed from the town-lot to a farm "over Showtucket," and was probably the first permanent settler upon that gore of land which was then called the Crotch, but afterwards Newent. He had a brother John, at that time living "near PEASE's farm," within the present limits of Bozrah.
JOHN REYNOLDS was a wheelwright by occupation, and removed from that part of Saybrook which is now Lyme. His housing and land were sold to Wolston BROCKWAY, Dec. 3, 1659.
The births of his children are recorded at Norwich, but without mentioning the name of his wife. John, the oldest child, born in August, 1655, was killed by the Indians in Philip's war, as elsewhere related. Stephen, another son, died Dec. 19, 1687.
He died July 22,1702. He bequeathed his instruments of husbandry and wheelwright tools to his son, with all the housing and lands, subject only to the widow's dowry. His wife, Sarah, and son Joseph were named executors, and he adds, "I do make choice of my living kinsman, Ensign Thomas LEFFINGWELL, overseer, to be helpful to them or either of them."
JONATHAN ROYCE was one of the five sons of Robert ROYCE, of New London, and probably the oldest, though no record of his birth has been found. He married Deborah, daughter of Hugh CALKINS, in June, 1660, according to the registry in Norwich, but at New London it is recorded March, 1660-61. Allowing the latest date to be correct, the bride was barely seventeen years of age, her birth being recorded at Gloucester, Mass., March 18, 1643-44. This was a second hymeneal tie connecting the tow families, John CALKINS, of Norwich, having taken for his partner Sarah ROYCE, the sister of Jonathan.
NEHEMIAH SMITH was of Stratford, 1646, but removed to New Haven, and obtained a grant of land upon Oyster River for his accommodation in keeping sheep. He is occasionally called on the colonial records "Shepherd SMITH." In 1652 he transferred his residence to New London, where his brother John had previously settled, and from thence came to Norwich in 1660, or soon afterwards. In 1663 he is styles "now of New Norridge."
THOMAS TRACY, from Tewksbury, in Gloucestershire, came to New England in April, 1636. His name was enrolled at Salem, Feb. 23, 1637.
"Thomas TRACY, ship-carpenter, received an inhabitant, upon a certificate of divers of Watertown, and is to have five acres of land."
He left the bay for the new colony on the Connecticut, probably about 1640, and settled at Wethersfield, where he is supposed to have married the widow of Edward MASON in 1641. A few years later he removed to Saybrook, from whence, after a residence of twelve or fourteen years, he came to Norwich, bringing with him six sons and a daughter. Perhaps his wife also was then living, for neither the place nor period of her death has been ascertained. Two of his children, John and Thomas, were probably born in Weathersfield, and the others in Saybrook. Miriam, the daughter, was the middle member of the list, and at the time of the settlement about ten years of age, heir brothers ranging above and below, from six to (perhaps) sixteen years.
Mr. TRACY was evidently a man of talent and activity, skillful in the management of various kinds of business, upright and discreet. The confidence placed in him by his associates is manifested in the great number of appointments which he received. His name is on the roll of the Legislature as representative from Norwich at twenty-seven sessions. The elections were semi-annual, and Mr. TRACY was chosen twenty-one times, beginning Oct. 9, 1662, and ending July 5, 1684. The others were extra sessions.
In October, 1666, he was chosen ensign of the first train-band organized in Norwich, and in August, 1673, lieutenant of the New London County Dragoons, enlisted to fight the Dutch and Indians. In 1678 he was appointed commissioner or justice of the peace.
JOHN TRACY. The marriage of this young proprietor to Mary WINSLOW, June 10, 1670, is recorded at Duxbury, Mass. The bride was a daughter of Josiah WINSLOW the elder, who was brother to Governor Edward WINSLOW, of Plymouth.
John and Mary TRACE had five children,--four sons and one daughter; the latter married Nathaniel BACKUS. The oldest son, Josiah, died in infancy. The others, John, Joseph, and Winslow, all had families. Mr. John TRACY died Aug. 16, 1702; Mrs. Mary TRACY died July 30, 1721.
Mr. TRACY's inventory specifies the homestead, valued at one hundred and thirty pounds, and seventeen other parcels of land, comprising between three and four thousand acres. He had land at Yantic, at Bradford's Brook, Beaver Brook, Lebanon, Little Lebanon, Wawecos Hill, Potapaug, at Wenungatuck (on the west side of the Quinnebaug, above Plainfield), at Tadmuck Hill (east of the Quinnebaug), and at Mashamagwatuck, in the Nipmuck country. The land at Wenungatuck was part of a large tract purchased of Owaneco, sachem of Mohegan. In the division of the estate it fell to Nathaniel BACKUS.
John TRACY, of the second generation, was born in 1673; of the third, in 1702; of the fourth, in 1726; of the fifty, in 1755; of the sixty, in 1783. These six John TRACY's were in the line of primogeniture, and all natives of Norwich except the first. Their partners in regular succession were Mary WINSLOW, Elizabeth LEFFINGWELL, Margaret HYDE, Margaret HUNTINGTON, Esther PRIDE, and Susannah HYDE. The sixth in this line was the late John TRACY, of Oxford, N. Y., who was born in that part of Norwich which is now Franklin, and was a man of acknowledged ability and integrity, devoting himself for many years to the service of the public as postmaster, representative, judge, and for six years Lieutenant-Governor of New York. He died June 18, 1864. He leaves no son to continue the line.
Dr. Elisha TRACY, a distinguished physician of Norwich of the Revolutionary era, was a son of Capt. Joseph TRACY, second son of John the proprietor. He was the father of the late Dr. Philemon TRACY, two of whose sons, Phineas L. and Albert H., have been representatives in Congress from New York. Capt. Jared and Frederick TRACY, in the mercantile line, who have descendants in various parts of the Union from New York to Missouri, were of the same lineage.
Uriah TRACY, of Litchfield, born at Norwich, West Farms, in 1755, and United States senator from 1796 till his death, was a descendant of Winslow TRACY, the youngest son of the first John. He died at Washington, July 19, 1807, and was the first person interred in the Congressional Cemetery.
ROBERT WADE. The name of Robert WADE is found at Dorchester in 1635; a person bearing the same name was admitted as freeman at Hartford in 1640; at a later period it is found among the inhabitants of Saybrook, and still later at Norwich. All these notices probably refer to one person. In August, 1657, Robert WADE was divorced from his wife by the General Court at Hartford, the act being recorded in the following terms:
"This Court duely and seriously considering what evidence hath bene presented to them by Robert WADE, of Seabrooke, in reference to his wives vnworthy, sinfull, yea, unnaturall cariage toward him the said Robert, her husband, notwithstanding his constant and comendable care and indeauor to gaine fellowship w'th her in the bond of marriage and that either where shee is in England, or for her to line w'th him here in New Englane; all w'ch being slighted and rejected by her, disowning him and fellowship w'th him at that solemn couenant of marriage betwene them and all for this neare fifteene yeares: They doe hereby declare that Robert WADE is from this time free from Joane WADE his late wife and that former Couenant of marriage betwene them."
We assume that this was the Robert WADE that appeared a few years later among the proprietors of Norwich, with wife Susanna.
His house-lot, between those of John and Thomas POST, was subsequently transferred to Caleb ABELL in exchange for a situation better adapted to farming.
RICHARD WALLIS. This name is probably identical with WALLACE. Richard WALLIS, though ranked as an original proprietor, was not one of the earliest company that settled at Norwich. He was living at that time in the eastern division of Saybrook, now Lyme, and sold his house, with six acres of land, to John BORDEN, but yet delayed from year to year to vacate the premises. In 1670, BORDEN brought a suit against him before the County Court in order to obtain possession. The court ordered WALLIS to deliver the premises to the purchaser, in good condition, within one month from the date of judgment. We assume therefore the year 1670 as the date of his removal to Norwich. He died early in 1675.
THOMAS WATERMAN was nephew to the wife of John BRADFORD. Robert WATERMAN and Elizabeth BOURN, of Marshfield, were married Dec. 9, 1638. Thomas, their second son, was born in 1644, and probably came to Norwich with his Uncle BRADFORD. In November, 1668, he was joined in wedlock with Miriam, only daughter of Thomas TRACY.
ABEL, or ABELL. Three of this name are found at an early period among the inhabitants of Norwich,--Caleb, Benjamin, and Joshua. It is a natural supposition that they were brothers, and nothing is known that disproves the relationship. In all probability they came from Dedham.
It will not be inappropriate to advert here to a late worthy descendant of Caleb ABELL, of Norwich, who has left no posterity to perpetuate his line. Gen. Elijah ABELL, a gallant officer in the army that contended against England for liberty and independence, was born within the old municipal bounds of Norwich, but after the conclusion of the war settled in Fairfield, and for nearly twenty years served as sheriff of the county. In later life he returned to the old homestead in Bozrah, and there died, June 3, 1809, aged seventy-one. He was a graduate of Yale College, well informed, energetic, and upright.
JONATHAN BREWSTER was the oldest son of Elder William BREWSTER, of the Mayflower colony, but came over in the "Fortune," 1621, a year later than his father. He settled at Duxbury, and represented that town in 1639. With others of the Plymouth colony, he engaged actively in the trade with the Indians of Long Island Sound and Connecticut River. This trade was carried on in sloops and shallops. Some of the first settlers of Windsor appear to have been carried thither in BREWSTER's vessel. Jonathan and William BREWSTER were witnesses to a deed of land purchased by the Dorchester people of the Indians at Windsor, April 16, 1636.
These voyages brought Mr. BREWSTER in contact with the younger WINTHROP, the founder of New London, to which place he removed in 1649 and found immediate employment, not only in the old path of Indian traffic, but as recorder or clerk of the plantation, many of the early deeds and grants at New London being in his handwriting.
"16 May, 1650. 'This day were made Freemen of this jurisdiction John WINTHROP, Esq., Mr. Jonathan BREWSTER,' &c."
Nine or ten years before the settlement of Norwich, Mr. BREWSTER had established a trading-post near the mouth of Poquetannock Creek. The point of land formed by the junction of the creek and river is still called Brewster's Neck. A large tract of land was here given by Uncas to Mr. BREWSTER as a bonus to induce him to establish the post, and it was confirmed to him by the townsmen of New London, within whose original bounds it was included.
He commenced operations at Brewster's Neck in 1650, without waiting to obtain a license from the authorities of Connecticut, who claimed the jurisdiction. The General Court, at their session in May of that year, censured him for the way or proceeding, but legalized the undertaking itself.
"Whereas Mr. Jonathan BREWSTER hath set up a trading-house at Mohigen, this Courte declares that they cannot but judge the thinge very disorderly, nevertheless, considering his condition, they are content hee should proceed therin for the present, and till they see cause to the contrary." From this time forth Brewster's Neck and Trading Cove, on the opposite side of the river, became the principal places of traffic with the Mohegans. Mr. BREWSTER maintained an agency here, and kept his family at the post for several years, but at length relinquished the trade to his son Benjamin and returned to Pequot Harbor, as New London was then called. In May, 1657, he was chosen "assistant for the towne of Pequett."
BUSHNELL. The marriage of Richard BUSHNELL and Mary MARVIN, Oct. 11, 1648, is recorded at Hartford. Mary MARVIN was a daughter of Matthew MARVIN, afterwards of Norwalk, Richard BUSHNELL's name also appears in 1656, among the owners of home-lots in Norwalk, but he is not afterwards found in the list of early settlers, and it is supposed that he became a resident of Saybrook, and there died about the year 1658. His relict appears in 1660, at Norwich, as the wife of Thomas ADGATE. Her children were brought with her to the new Settlement, and their births are found registered with those of the ADGATE family.
JOHN ELDERKIN. Our acquaintance with John ELDERKIN begins at Lyme in 1637, when he was about twenty-one years of age. From thence he may be traced to Boston, Dedham, Reading, providence, New London, and at last to Norwich, which was probably his latest home and final resting-place.
In a deposition taken in 1672 he gives his age, fifty-six, and says that he became an inhabitant of New London the same year that Mr. BLINMAN and his company came there to dwell. We find a grant of house-lot recorded to him at that place in October, 1650, in anticipation of his coming.
ELDERKIN was a house-carpenter and millwright, crafts which in the circumstances of the country were better than a paten of nobility in gaining for him a welcome reception, esteem, and influence. In the places where he sojourned he built mills, meeting-houses, probably also bridges, and the better sort of dwelling-houses. At New London he built the first meeting-house, constructed two or three saw-mills in the neighborhood, and occasionally tried his hand in building vessels.
Samuel LATHROP, or LOTHROP, as the name was then generally spelled (with the pronunciation LOT-ROP), was a son of the Rev. John LOTHROP, who had preached in London to the first Independent or Congregational Church organized in England, as successor to Mr. JACOB, under whose ministry the church was formed. The congregation was broken up by ecclesiastical rigor, and Mr. LOTHROP suffered an imprisonment of two years' duration, from which he was released only on condition of his leaving the country. He came to America in 1634, and was the first minister both of Scituate and of Barnstable.
Samuel was his second son, and probably about fourteen years of age when the family emigrated. His marriage is recorded at Barnstable, in his father's handwriting: "My sonn Samuel and Elizabeth SCUDDER marryed att my house, Nov. 28, 1644." Samuel LOTHROP was a house-carpenter, and found occupation for a time in Boston, from whence he went to New London, then called Pequot, in the summer of 1648. Just twenty years later he removed to Norwich, where, after a residence of more than forty years, he died, Feb. 29, 1700.
Col. Simon LOTHROP, third son of Samuel (2) and Hannah (ADGATE) LOTHROP, born in 1689, was a man of more than ordinary local renown. He commanded one of the Connecticut regiments in the successful expeditions against Annapolis and Louisburg, and was valued for his judgment in council as well as for his gallant bearing in the field. At one period he was left for a considerable time in the chief command of the fortress at Cape Breton.
Col. LOTHROP was of a prudent, thrifty disposition, fond of adding land to land and house to house. There was a doggerel song that the soldiers used to sing after their return from Capertoon that alludes to this propensity.
Col. LOTHROP died Jan. 25, 1775, aged eighty-six. He was an upright man, zealous in religion, faithful in training up his family, and much respected and esteemed for his abilities and social virtues. His wife was a Separatist, and he carefully abstained from any interference with her predilections, but was accustomed every Sunday to carry her in his chaise up to her meeting, half a mile beyond his own, then return to his own place of worship, and after the service was over to go up town again after his wife.
Col. LOTHROP was the father of Simon and Elijah LATHROP, who were prominent inhabitants of the town, and for a long period proprietors of the mills at Norwich Falls.
The following is a list of inhabitants that came in after the first settlers and appear as residents of the town plot, or as grantees on the commons and outlands. The earliest date is given at which the name has been noticed, but in some instances the person my have been upon the ground for several previous years:1 [1 Adm. Stands for admitted inhabitant by public vote.] Timothy ALLEN married, Oct. 1, 1714, Rachel, daughter of Joseph BUSHNELL; adm. 1715; removed subsequently to Windham.
Thomas ALLERTON had his cattle-mark registered in 1712.
John ALLERTON was one of the selectmen in 1721. His wife was Elizabeth, and he had nine children, the births ranging from 1713 to 1735. The name of Isaac appearing among them suggests a connection with Isaac ALLERTON, of Plymouth and New Haven, but his antecedents have not been ascertained.
AMES, EMMS. Joseph EAMES had a son Joseph, baptized April 2, 1710. He died in 1734. Three sons were brought to view in the settlement of the estate,--Joseph, Ebenezer, and Josiah. The relict, Mary, married Daniel PALMETER.
ANDRUS, ANDROSS. Jeremiah ANDREWS, adm. May 7, 1714.
John ANDREWS, Sr., adm. 1716.
These were probably sons of Francis ANDREWS, who died at Fairfield in 1663, and in his will enumerated nine children, among whom were John and Jeremiah.
John ANDREWS, Jr., adm. 1716.
John and Sarah, children of John ANDROSS, Jr., were baptized July 5, 1713.
David and Benjamin ANDROSS appear also as inhabitants about 1715.
Jonathan ARMSTRONG settled before 1670 at Misquamicut (Westerly), where he had a stormy experience of several years' continuance amid the riots, inroads, writs, and judgments that disturbed the debatable lands on the border of the two colonies, Connecticut and Rhode Island. In partial redress of his grievances, the Legislature of Connecticut granted him, in October, 1677, one hundred acres of land near the bounds of Norwich.
Nathaniel ARMSTRONG was a grantee of the town in 1679, and Benjamin in 1682.
Benjamin ARMSTRONG died Jan. 10, 1717-18, leaving four sons,--Benjamin, John, Joseph, and Stephen,--all of age. Benjamin married Sarah RAYMOND, and in 1703 was one of the patentees of Mansfield. Stephen settled in Windham. Joseph was a householder in 1716. John married, in 1710, Anne WROTH, and had a numerous family.
Lebbeus ARMSTRONG, a descendant of John, removed about 1770 to Bennington, Vt.
John ARNOLD was a landholder, both by grant and purchase, in 1683. He removed a few years later to Windham.
Benedict ARNOLD took the freeman's oath in 1739.
Jonathan AVERY, adm. 1724.
Joseph BAKER, an inhabitant before 1690, was received with his wife into the West Farms Church in 1721.
Nathaniel BAKER, a resident in 1718. Ebenezer, adm. 1724.
John BACON, adm. 1713; wife Hannah received into the church and four children baptized in 1718.
Nathaniel BADGER, adm. 1721, probably came from Newbury.
Daniel BADGER married Sarah ROATH, Oct. 22, 1719. The births of three children-Daniel, Gideon, and David-are recorded in Norwich.
Ezekiel BARRETT, 1711. Isaac, 1716.
Job, the son of John BARSTOW, born at Scituate, March 8, 1679, adm. At Norwich in 1708. He and his wife Rebecca, who was the daughter of Joseph BUSHNELL, were baptized and received into the church Aug. 9, 1709. In 1725 he was one of the selectmen. He had three sons,--Jonathan, born in 1712; Ebenezer, in 1720; and Yet-once, July 17, 1722.
William BATES, cattle-mark registered 1678.
Stephen BELDEN, adm. 1720.
Robert BELL came from Ipswich about 1720. He appears to have been a physician, and had married at that place, Nov. 7, 1717, Abigail, relict of John FILLMORE. He died Aug. 23, 1727, and his wife in November of the same year. They left three children,--Samuel, born in Ipswich, 1719; Benjamin and Deliverance, natives of Norwich.
[This Robert BELL may have been a son of Robert, of Hartford, as the latter had a son Robert born in 1680.]
Samuel BLACKMORE, one of the Separatist party in 1748.
George BOORN, or BOURN, a resident in 1726, and had a son George baptized March 8, 1729.
Ebenezer BROWN, son of Capt. John BROWN, of Swanzey, and a grandson of Major MASON, married Sarah, daughter of the second Samuel HYDE, Feb. 23, 1714. They removed to Lebanon, where he died in 1755. His relict long survived him, and died in Windham, March 1, 1797, aged ninety-nine years and two months. Samuel BURTON, a resident in 1719.
Jonathan BURLEY, adm. 1727; married, March 30, 1730, Elizabeth WHITE.
Walter CAPRON, 1730.
Thomas CAREW married, Sept. 10, 1724, Abigail, daughter of Daniel HUNTINGTON. Joseph CAREW, brother of Thomas, married, in 1731, Mary, daughter of the same, and died in 1747, leaving seven children; estate, £2847.
Palmer CAREW was an inhabitant in 1730.
John CARPENTER, adm. 1723; probably son of William, of Rehoboth. His wife Sarah was received into the church the same year.
John CARTER united with the church in 1722.
Moses CASE, adm. Sept. 13, 1726.
John, son of John CASE, baptized in 1729.
Robert CATHCART, an inhabitant in 1728.
Joseph CHAPMAN, probably son of William, of New London, adm. 1715; died June 10, 1725. His wife Mercy died seven days previous. Eight children are recorded. Two of the sons, Moses and Daniel, are on the list of Separatists in 1748.
Caleb CHAPPELL, son of George, of New London, was resident in 1694, but removed to Windham.
Isaac Cleveland, adm. 1709, was probably son of Moses, of Woburn, who had a son Isaac, born May 11, 1669. Samuel and Josiah CLEVELAND, early settlers at Canterbury, appear to have been his brothers. In 1715, Elizabeth, wife of Clement STRATFORD, mariner, administered on the estate of her former husband, Isaac CLEVELAND. No mention is made of children.
Samuel COOLIDGE, a resident in 1694.
"The inventory of Ambrose COLE, of Norwich, deceased," was presented to the County Court in 1690. Probably the family came from Scituate.
Gershom COTTEREL, a resident in 1678.
Jonathan CRANE, probably from Killingworth, had land registered in 1672, and married, Dec. 19, 1678, Deborah, daughter of Francis GRISWOLD. He removed to Windham, where he had a thousand-acre right; built the first mill in that plantation; was one of the selectmen in 1692, and a patentee of the town in 1703.
Samuel CROCKER settled at West Farms about 1700, and was one of the selectmen in 1722. He was probably son of Thomas, of New London, and born at that place in 1677. He had four children-Samuel, John, Jabez, and Hannah-baptized in 1709.
Peter CROSS had land recorded in 1672, and was a resident in 1698; afterwards removed to Windham.
George CROSS, a resident in 1719.
Benjamin CULLUM, adm. 1715. Abigail, daughter of Benjamin and Abigail CULLUM, baptized in 1718.
The marriage of Edward and Sarah CULVER is recorded Jan. 15, 1681; the births of seven children follow.
Edward CULVER was on the board of listers in 1685. In 1698 he removed to Lebanon, and was living there in 1716.
John CULVER and his wife Sarah united with the church at Norwich in 1721.
Thomas CULVERSWELL died April 15, 1725.
Samuel DARBY, a resident in 1800.
Ephraim DAVIS was on the roll of 1702. Thomas, Comfort, and Joseph appear as inhabitants soon after 1712. Thomas had a daughter Mercy baptized in 1711.
Abraham DAYNES, of North Yarmouth, married Dec. 26, 1671, Sarah, daughter of William PEAKE. This marriage is recorded at New London, with the births of three children,--Johanna, John, and Thomas. Three others are on record at Norwich, viz., Ebenezer, Sarah, and Ephraim. The sons are found among the inhabitants of the town in the next generation, but the name is more frequently written DEANS. James and Oxenbridge DEANS were young men in 1738.
Nathaniel DEAN, adm. Dec. 28, 1714; wife Joanna probably form Taunton. Seth, DEAN, 1739.
Joseph DECKER and wife Thankful were received into fellowship with the church in 1714. They removed to Windham.
Capt. Robert DENISON, adm. 1718. His farm of five hundred acres, conveyed to him by Owaneco, with the consent of the Legislature, in 1710, lay upon the border of Mashipaug, or Gardner's Lake, and was then supposed to fall within the Nine-mile Square. He began his improvements at that place in 1716, but when the bounds of the town were more accurately defined the greater part of his farm, including his family residence, was found to lie within the limits of New London North Parish, and after 1720 his connection with Norwich ceased.
Capt. DENISON die din 1737, and was interred in a cemetery prepared by himself on his farm, where a group of DENISON graves, with granite curbstones marked with initials and dates, still remain.
His son, the second Capt. Robert DENISON, was an officer in the French war, and removed to Nova Scotia.
John DENNIS, a resident at the Landing in 1739.
The cattle-mark of Abraham DOWD was recorded in 1723. He was probably the son of John DOWD, of Guilford, born in 1697.
Thomas EDGECOMBE, born in New London, 1694, settled in Norwich before 1720, and there died Sept. 16, 1745. His first wife was Katherine COPP; his second, Esther POST, who survived him but a few months.
The sons of Thomas EDGECOMBE by his first wife were Thomas, John, Jonathan, and Samuel.
Thomas died in Norwich in April, 1755.
John was a soldier in the expedition against Cape Breton, and there died, after the surrender in 1746, at the age of twenty.
Jonathan, a seaman, was taken by a Spanish privateer, Aug. 3, 1752; carried first to Compeachy, and from thence to Old Spain, where he was kept confined for several months, but at length picked the lock of his prison, escaped, and reached a French port in safety. Here he found an English vessel, on board of which he worked his passage to England, but had scarcely touched the island when he fell into the hands of a press-gang and was enrolled on board of a man-of war. After a year's service he contrived to escape, and through various other adventures finally reached home Nov. 30, 1754. He afterwards settled in Vermont.
Samuel, the forth son, was Deacon Samuel EDGECOMBE, of Groton, Conn., who died Aug. 14, 1785, aged sixty-five.
Samuel FAIRBANKS, a resident in 1722.
Samuel FALES, adm. 1708; received into communion with the church in 1711; died 1733. He was son of Mr. James FALES, of Dedham, and son-in-law to John ELDERKIN. His inventory included a more than ordinary number of religious books. It is probable that he was a theological student.
Moses FARGO came from New London about 1690, and in 1694 obtained a grant of land "on the hill above the rock where his house stands." He was on the roll of 1702, and died about 1726. Name often written FIRGO.
Verdict of a jury upon the body of Gregory FIELD: "Found dead in Shoutucket River, in Norwich, 29 April, 1710."
FILLMORE. John, son of John FILLMORE, was born at Ipswich, March 18, 1702. His father was a mariner, and died at sea about the year 1711. His mother's maiden name was Abigail TILTON. She married for her second husband, Robert BELL, and removed with him to Norwich West Farms. Her son, John FILLMORE, returning from sea, was united Nov. 9, 1724, to Mary SPILLER, of Ipswich, and on the 28th of the same month made a purchase of lands in Norwich, where he planted his hearth-stone and spent the remainder of his days.
Some extraordinary incidents are connected with his previous history. While out on a fishing voyage he had been captured by a noted pirate of the name of PHILLIPS, and compelled to perform duty as the helmsman of the freebooting craft; but after nine months of this odious service, he combined with several other prisoners that had been subsequently taken, and at a concerted signal, making a desperate attack upon their captors, they killed and threw overboard the captain and a number of his crew, disabled the rest, took possession of the vessel, and navigated her to Boston, where they arrived May 3, 1724, and gave their prisoners up to justice. Three of them were executed in Boston, and three sent to England, where they suffered at Execution Dock. The gun, sword, tobacco-box, buckles, and rings of the captain of the corsair were awarded by the Court of Admiralty to young FILLMORE, as spoils won by his valor and decision. A part of these articles are still preserved as relics by his descendants.
He was subsequently known as Capt. John FILLMORE, of Norwich West Farms, a man of probity, and a useful citizen, a member of the church, and captain of a military company. He was three times married, and his will mentions fourteen surviving children. He died Feb. 22, 1777, aged seventy-five years.
Nathaniel, one of the sons of his second wife (Dorcas DAY, of Pomfret), born in 1740 married Hepzibah WOOD, and settled at Bennington, Vt., when that part of the country was new and unsubdued. He served as a soldier in the French was and in the war for independence, and died at Bennington in 1814. His son Nathaniel (2), born in 1771, married Phebe MILLARD, of Bennington, and he and his brothers, following the example of their ancestors, removed into the wilderness, and settled in Western New York, where they became farmers, and in the course of time clerks, teachers, justices, and members of the Assembly. This Nathaniel (2) was the father of Millard FILLMORE, thirteenth President of the United States, who was born in Cayuga Co., N. Y., Jan. 7, 1800.
The descendants of Capt. John FILLMORE emigrated not only to Vermont, but to Nova Scotia and other provinces, and have been widely scattered; yet representatives of the name and family were left in Norwich and Franklin, where the lineage is still to be found, comprising descendants of the brave Capt. John and also of his brother Ebenezer, who married Thankful CARRIER in 1733.
John FORD, adm. 1722; married, May 26, 1729, Ann HOLLOWAY.
FOWLER. Jonathan FOWLER married, Aug. 3, 1687, Elizabeth REYNOLDS. The widow FOWLER is incidentally mentioned in 1698.
Thomas FOWLER, of Lebanon, died in 1707.
Isaac FOX, adm. 1721; Thomas, 1722.
Colin FRASIER married, in 1718, Sarah, daughter of Paul WENTWORTH. In January, 1724, Mr. FRASIER was arrested on the charge of killing an Indian woman in a fit of insanity. On the 24th of February, while imprisoned at New London, the unhappy woman, in another access of her malady, to which she was constitutionally subject, plunged a knife into her own throat, but the wound did not prove fatal. She was tried in March, and fully acquitted on the ground of distraction. John FRENCH, Sr., of the West Farms, adm. 1724; died April 20, 1730, leaving sons,--Abner, John, Joseph, and Samuel.
John FRENCH, Jr. [Maj. John FRENCH], married, Aug. 21, 1729, Phebe, daughter of Thomas HYDE.
Josiah GAYLORD, 1675. He was probably son of William, of Windsor, and step-son of John ELDERKIN. He is on the roll of 1702; his "house at Pock-nuck" is mentioned in 1720. He died in 1727.
John GIBBONS, 1719. "Hambleton GIBIONS," connected with a disturbance in the meeting-house, 1723.
Edward GOOKIN, adm. Sept. 13, 1726. He had four children baptized at dates ranging from February, 1723, to March, 1730. He was probably son of Daniel GOOKIN, of Sherborn, whose wife was a daughter of Edmund QUINCY, and who had a son Edmund, born March 31, 1688.
Edmund, of Norwich, had wife Sarah and two sons, Samuel and Daniel. The former has not been traced, but Daniel, with his parents and their three daughters, who lived to be aged spinsters, all slept together in the town burial-ground.
Nathaniel GOULD, 1730.
Benjamin GORTON, from Warwick, R. I., on the 20th of September, 1717, purchased the valuable farm of Peter MASON, near the Great Pond, or Mashipaug Lake, five hundred acres, with dwelling-house and other buildings, for five hundred pounds. This farm was then supposed to lie within the bounds of Norwich, and he was for several years considered an inhabitant. He died in 1737.
Samuel and Nathaniel GOVE, adm. 1723.
Robert GREEN, of Peagscomsuch, 1696.
Thomas GRIST married Ann BIRCHARD, Aug. 14, 1721; adm. 1726.
Ebenezer GROVER, first mentioned about 1720.
Thomas HALL, adm. 1701; probably came from Woburn. Thomas, Jr., adm. Dec. 31, 1712.
Solomon HAMILTON, a resident in 1738.
Joseph HAMMOND, 1712. Caleb, married Nov. 21, 1723, Mary BREWSTER; adm. 1727. Elijah, adm. 1730.
Isaac, of Norwich, bought a farm on Mohegan Hill in 1734, for six hundred and sixty pounds.
Isaac HARRINGTON died 1727; left wife Sarah and four children,--Isaac, Silvanus, James, and Patience.
John HARRIS, adm. Dec. 21, 1712, died 1728; left wife Susannah; other legatees, "brother Robert and his son John of Brookline, in New England." Gibson, son of Samuel HARRIS (of New London), born 1694, settled in 1726 on a farm in New Concord, now Bozrah. His wife was Phebe, daughter of Capt. George DENISON. He died in 1761. He was the father of Dr. Benjamin HARRIS, of Preston.
David and Jonathan HARTSHORN, brothers, from Reading, settled at the West Farms, and are on the roll of inhabitants in 1702.
David was a physician; selectman in 1709; built a saw-mill on Beaver Brook in 1713; was one of the first deacons of the West Farms Church; died Nov. 3, 1838, aged eighty-one. He was a man of good report and a valuable citizen. His wife was Rebecca BATCHELER.
Jonathan HARTSHORN, probably son of Jonathan above named, married in 1709 Lucy HEMPSTED, of New London, and in 1726 removed with his family to Cecil County, Md.
HASKINS, or HOSKINS. Richard and John were early residents. Richard died in 1718, leaving nine children; estate, £1257. John died in 1719, leaving seven children.
Daniel, adm. Dec. 5, 1721, married Mehitable BADGER.
Thomas HAZEN, adm. 1715. Joseph and Jacob also became residents near this time.
John HEATH came from HAVERHILL. His wife, Hannah, was received into the church, and her son Josiah baptized 1715.
Isaac HENDRICK, a resident in 1721.
Charles HILL, a Separatist in 1748.
Ephraim HODGES, adm. 1729.
John HOUGH, 1678, son of William HOUGH, of New London, and there born, Oct. 17, 1655. He was a house-builder, and much employed both in Norwich and New London, acquiring lands and houses in each place. He died at New London, Aug. 26,1715, suddenly deprived of life by a fall from the scaffolding of a house on which he was at work. He was a large man, of military turn, and active also in civil affairs, extensively known and highly esteemed. The sudden stroke that swept him into eternity resounded through the country with startling emphasis.
The wife of Capt. HOUGH was Sarah POST, of Norwich. He had a farm in New Concord Society, the land being an original grant from the town in payment for building a school-house. His youngest son, Jabez, born in 1702, inherited this farm, and there died, Jan. 24, 1725, only seventeen days after his marriage with Anne DENISON, of New London. The farm was after this the homestead of his elder brother, John, and from him it went to his son Jabez, who married Phebe HARRIS, who died at the age of ninety-two, July 23, 1820.
John HUTCHINS, adm. Dec. 20, 1715; a constable in 1726 and 1727.
Thomas HUTCHINS, inn-keeper at Newent in 1733.
Joshua HUTCHINSON, adm. April 20, 1729.
Land granted to Jonathan JENNINGS in 1677. In 1684 he had other grants at Senemancutt and Sucksqutumscot. He removed to Windham, and there died June 27, 1783, in his seventy-ninth year. His son, Ebenezer, was the first male child of English parentage born in Windham.
John JONES, a resident in 1712; died 1749.
"Ten acres of land at Lebanon Valley," granted to John JOHNSON in 1677; also a grant at Westward Hill. His cattle-mark was registered in 1683; he was a lister in 1698.
Isaac JOHNSON, of Norwich, died Jan. 7, 1708.
Ensign William JOHNSON, of Canterbury, who probably went from Norwich, died Feb. 23, 1713.
Ebenezer JOHNSON, of the West Farms, 1718, married Deborah CHAMPION.
Joseph KELLY, a resident in 1716.
Thomas, adm. 1719. Probably both came from Newbury.
Robert KENNEDY, a resident in 1730; had wife Mary. Richard KIMBALL, 1722.
Edward KING, a resident in 1699; adm. 1701; died before 1726.
Joseph KINGSBURY, from Haverhill, Mass., with his sons, Joseph, Jr., and Nathaniel, adm. 1710. The wife of the elder Joseph was Love AYRES, and of the younger, Ruth DENISON, both of Haverhill. The wife of Nathaniel has not been ascertained. He had son John, born in 1710, and Nathaniel in 1711.
Mrs. Ruth KINGSBURY, relict of the second Deacon Joseph, died May 6, 1779, aged ninety-three, leaving behind the remarkable number of two hundred and thirty-one descendants, viz., five children, sixty-one of the next generation, one hundred and fifty-two of the fourth, and thirteen of the fifty. The homestead farm is still in possession of descendants of the same name.
Andrew KINGSBURY, an officer of the Revolution, and subsequently, from 1793 to 1818, State treasurer of Connecticut, was a descendant of Joseph, Jr., in the line of his son Ephraim.
Richard KIRBY, adm. 1721.
Thomas KNOWLES, adm. 1710.
Joseph KNOWLTON, accidentally killed, 1718; "no estate but two cows." Mary, daughter of Thomas KNOWLTON, a member of the church in 1709.
In 1709, Samuel LADD, from Haverhill, Suffolk Co., Mass., purchased land of David HARTSHORN, "on the hill beyond Thomas HIDE's farm." Adm. 1710.
Nathaniel LADD was selectman in 1721, but in 1729 had removed from the town.
David LADD, another earlier settler at the West Farms, married Mary WATERS. His family, and that of Capt. Jacob HYDE, were linked together by a triple marriage of their children. The three brothers, Samuel, Ezekiel, and Joseph LADD, married the three sisters, Hannah, Ruth, and Silence HYDE, both parties in the natural order of seniority, and each of the sisters at the age of nineteen years.
Ebenezer LAMB married, May 6, 1690, Mary ARMSTRONG.
David, Isaac, and John LAMB were residents about 1718. John died Aug. 16, 1727.
Isaac LAWRENCE owned the church covenant in 1700; was adm. 1702. Isaac LAWRENCE, Jr., had four children baptized at dates from 1711 to 1718.
Richard LEE, adm. 1705; died Aug. 7, 1713; left widow, Sarah, and nine children, the oldest son, Thomas forty years of age; Richard, thirty-four; Joseph, thirty-two; and Benjamin, thirty.
Samuel LOOMER, of the parish of New Concord, adm. Sept. 13, 1726.
Cyprian, a younger brother of Rev. Benjamin LORD, settle din Norwich about 1720, and married, in 1725, Elizabeth BACKUS.
LOW. The only person of this name found on the records is David, adm. 1709; died Feb. 10, 1710, aged twenty-three. His estate was settled by Thomas LEFFINGWELL. The low semicircular headstone that marks his grave is one of the oldest in the town plot cemetery.
Ebenezer LYON, 1722.
"Abial MARSHALL, of Norwich, and Abiah HOUGH, of New London, were married Nov. 17, 1708." Their oldest son, the second Abial MARSHALL, died in Bozrah, Dec. 1, 1799.
John MEACH is on a list of 1698.
Ebenezer METCALF, from Dedham, married, in 1702, Hannah, daughter of Joshua ABEL, of the West Farms, and had five children baptized, extending to 1711. He was on the roll of inhabitants in 1718, but removed to Lebanon, and there died Nov. 5, 1755, aged seventy-six. He was a descendant of Michael METCALF, who had lived at Norwich, in England, but emigrated to this country with his wife and nine children in 1637 and settled at Dedham.
Stephen MERRICK married Mercy BANGS, Dec. 28, 1671, he being twenty-five and she twenty years of age. Mercy and Apphia BANGS were twin daughters of Edward BANGS, of Plymouth colony, and were married the same day,--Apphia probably to John KNOWLES.
Stephen MERRICK came to Norwich about 1672. He was a constable in 1681, and appointed county marshal or sheriff in 1685.
Grants of land were made to William MOORE in 1677 and 1682. He had land also at Potapaug and "over the river at a place called Major's Pond." He married the relict of Thomas HARWOOD in August, 1677, and twenty years later removed to Windham.
MORGAN. Two of this name are found early at Norwich and left families there, William and Peter. William was probably son of William and Margaret (AVERY) MORGAN, of Groton (born 1697).
Peter was a son of John ROSE-MORGAN, of New London, born in 1712. His wife was Elizabeth WHITMORE, of Middletown, and his house stood under the hill, upon the site afterwards built upon by Rev. Joseph STRONG, and now the residence of D. F. GULLIVER, M.D. Peter MORGAN removed to the Great Plain.
MOSELEY, or MAUDLSEY. The earliest notice of this name is found in the baptismal record: "Increase and Sarah, children of Increase MAUDSLEY, bap. 6: 9: 1715," that is Nov. 6, 1715.
Increase MOSELEY, the father, died in 1731.
Increase, the son, born May 18, 1712, married, in 1735, Deborah TRACY, of Windham, and removed about 1740 to Woodbury, settling in that part of the town which is now Washington. He there sustained various offices of trust and honor, representing the town in the Legislature for some fifteen successive years, but removed to Clarendon, Vt., in 1781, and there died May 2, 1795.
His son, the third Increase MOSELEY in direct succession, probably born also in Norwich, settled in Southbury, and was a colonel of one of the Connecticut regiments during the Revolutionary war.
Rev. Peabody MOSELEY, son of the first Increase, was born at Norwich in 1724. He was a Baptist clergyman, but about the year 1780 joined the Shaker society of New Lebanon.
Elisha MUNSELL, 1720. Elisha, Jr., 1721. The latter was on the list of Separatists in 1748.
James NORMAN, adm. Dec. 20, 1715. He was captain of a vessel, kept also a shop of merchandise, and in 1717 was licensed to keep a house of entertainment. He died June 28, 1743.
John ORMSBY, adm. Dec. 20, 1715; died July 11, 1728. His relict, Susannah, died in 1752.
Joseph, adm. 1720; wife Abigail united with the church in 1721.
Daniel PALMETER, adm. 1724.
The inventory of Joseph PASMORE, of Norwich, was exhibited in 1711, comprising a Bible, psalm-book, sword, articles of apparel, and twelve acres of land.
Benjamin PECK, adm. 1700. The church record gives the names of eight children of "brother Benjamin PECK" that were baptized from 1703 to 1718. He died in 1742. Joseph, his eldest son, born in 1706, was the father of the late Capt. Bela PECK, of Norwich.
The ancestor of this family was Henry PECK, of New Haven, whose twin sons, Joseph and Benjamin, were born Sept. 6, 1647.
John PEMBER, adm. 1722, son of John and AGNES PEMBER, of New London. He married in 1716, Mary, daughter of Thomas HYDE, and settled at West Farms, where he died in 1783, aged eighty-give.
Samuel PETTIS, adm. 1727.
George PHILLIPS, adm. 1726.
Jonathan and Ebenezer PIERCE, adm. 1712.
Elizabeth, wife of John PIKE, baptized Aug. 5, 1711; son John baptized 1712, and other children onward to 1723.
Samuel PITCHER, supposed to be a son of Andrew, of Dorchester, had son Benjamin baptized in Norwich, March 20, 1714. He was one of the selectmen in 1721, but in 1735 removed to Woodbury, Conn. A part of the family remained, and the name has been continued in the town to the present day. Mathew POLLY, 1719, probably from Woburn.
Abigail, wife of Daniel POLLY, died June 8, 1725.
Joshua PRIOR, a householder in 1733.
Samuel RAYMOND, of Norwich, and Lydia BIRCHARD, of Lebanon, were united in marriage March 6, 1717. They had sons Samuel and Daniel, the former born Dec. 25, 1720.
Nathaniel RICHARDS, an inhabitant in 1716.
Andrew, adm. 1727.
Samuel ROBERTS, 1678, son of Hugh ROBERTS, an early settler in New London. He came to Norwich as a house-carpenter in company with John HOUGH. These two men were often associate din work, and called themselves near kinsmen, the mother of each being a daughter of Hugh CALKINS. The first school-house in Norwich of which we have any notice was built by John HOUGH and Samuel ROBERTS, and paid for in land in 1683. They were the master-builders of many early houses in the town plot,--the regular, substantial houses that followed the temporary habitations of the first encampment.
Samuel, son of Samuel ROBERTS, was born May 9, 1688.
Theophilus ROGERS, 1720; a native of Lynn, Mass., and reputed to be a descendant of John ROGERS, the Smithfield martyr. He had studied physic and surgery in Boston, and settled at Norwich in the practice of his profession. He died Sept. 28, 1753. Two of his sons, Ezekiel and Theophilus, were physicians, and two others, Uriah and Col. Zabdiel, were conspicuous as active citizens and patriots of the Revolutionary period.
Thomas ROOD was an early settler upon the outlands of the township. His wife, Sarah, died in March, 1668, and he in 1672. Nine children are recorded, the dates of birth ranging from 1649 to 1666, but the place of nativity is not given.
Thomas, Micah, Samuel, and George ROOD are on the roll of inhabitants in 1702. Micah obtained some local notoriety on account of a peculiar variety of apple that he brought to market, which was called, from him, the "Mike apple," and has since been more extensively propagated. It is an early species, has a fair outside, an excellent flavor, and each individual apple exhibits somewhere in the pulp a red speck, like a tinge of fresh blood. Several fanciful legends have been contrived to account for this peculiarity. Micah ROOD die din 1728, aged about seventy-six.
In 1693 the proprietors granted to George ROSEBROUGH "three or four acres of land, where his house stands." No other reference to the name has been observed.
Jonathan and Nathaniel RUDD, brothers, came from Saybrook. The former settled east of the Shetucket, and the latter at the West Farms. It is probable that they were sons of that Jonathan RUDD who was married at Bride Brook in the winter of 1646-47.
Nathaniel RUDD married, April 15, 1684, Mary, daughter of John POST. His homestead was in that part of the West farms which is now Bozrah. He died in April, 1727, leaving an estate valued at £689.
Daniel RUDD, one of the sons of Nathaniel, born in 1710, married for his second wife (July 1, 1745) Mary Metcalf, a daughter of the Rev. Joseph METCALF, of Falmouth, Me. She had previously been living with her relatives in Lebanon, to which place she came from her far-off home, according to tradition, in a three days' journey, riding on a pillon behind Capt. James FITCH. Her son, Daniel RUDD, Jr., born June 10, 1754, married Abigail ALLEN, of Montville, who died Jan. 20, 1857, wanting only a few months of being one hundred years of age. Lucy RUDD, one of the daughters of this couple, married, first, Capt. Henry CALDWELL, of the United States Marines, and second, Maj.-Gen. Henry BURBECK, an officer of the Revolutionary war and of that of 1812. Gen. BURBECK died at New London, Oct. 2, 1848, aged ninety-give. His relict. Mrs. Lucy BURBECK, is still living. It is a singular coincidence, occurring, it is presumed, very rarely in the history of families, that Mrs. BURBECK's father, Daniel RUDD, and her husband, Henry BURBECK, were born on the same day, June 10, 1754.
SABIN, often upon early records written SABIENS. Isaac, adm. 1720.
Thomas SLUMAN married, December, 1668, Sarah, daughter of Thomas BLISS; constable in 1680; died 1683, leaving a son Thomas and five daughters. His relict married Solomon TRACY. Thomas SLUMAN (2) was on the roll of 1702.
Mark SMALLBENT died Dec. 25, 1696; left two young daughters; estate, £143.
Andrew, son of Philip SPALDING, was baptized July 15, 1722.
STARR. Samuel, son of Jonathan, of Groton, married Ann, daughter of Capt. Caleb BUSHNELL, in 1727, and settled Norwich.
Amos STICKNEY, 1725.
Thomas STODDARD, a resident in the parish of New Concord, 1708; present at a church-meeting in 1714.
Samuel STORY and wife were received into the church in 1722. They came undoubtedly from Ipswich. The inventory of his estate, taken in 1726, has among its items "a wood-lot in Ipswich." He left a numerous family: five sons who were living are noticed in his will, the children of Ephraim, deceased, and six married daughters, viz., Elizabeth HIDDEN, Mary ANDREWS, Dorothy DAY, Hannah NOLTEN, Anna PROCTOR, and Margaret CHOATE.
John, son of John SWETLAND, was baptized in 1708; another son, Joseph, in 1710. The family, in all probability, dwelt near the western bounds of the town, within the present area of Salem.
Joseph TENNY, adm. 1723.
Thomas TODD died Aug. 28, 1727. He owned lands in Duxbury, and was probably son of Jeremiah THOMAS, of Marshfield, born Nov. 1, 1703. Ebenezer, Simeon, and Thomas L. THOMAS, active men of business during the latter part of the century, were his sons. He died Oct. 16, 1774.
Mary, wife of Joseph TUBBS, received adult baptism in 1718.
Jonathan WALKER, adm. 1722.
Robert WARREN, a resident in 1713; selectman in 1721.
John WAY, adm. 1722.
John WELSH, adm. 1705; died 1728; estate, £333; inventory presented by his son John.
Daniel WHITE, adm. April 30, 1723. He married Elizabeth ENSWORTH, June 10, 1723, and died Sept. 9, 1727, leaving a wife and three small children. Estate, £407.
Jonathan WHITAKER, 1710. He married in 1718, Abigail LAMBERT.
Daniel WIGHTMAN, 1727.
Joseph WILLIAMS, adm. 1702; Charles, of Preston, 1687.
John WILLOUGHBY, 1718.
Joseph, adm. Dec. 5, 1721. He afterwards purchased a farm in the North Parish of New London.
Thomas WOOD, a resident in 1716.
Ebenezer, adm. Dec. 2, 1718; married Mary RUDD, March 12, 1718.
Isaac WOODWROTH, adm. 1705; died April 1, 1714, leaving wife, Lydia, and nine children between the ages of eight and twenty-seven.
Moses, adm. 1719.