CONNECTICUT HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE.
The History of Middlesex County 1635-1885
J. H. Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, New York
TOWN AND CITY OF MIDDLETOWN.
BY HENRY WHITTEMORE.
[transcribed by Janece Streig]
The indigent insane of the State of Connecticut were formerly cared for in the almshouses of the different towns, except a limited number, who were received in the retreat at Hartford. These almshouses lack the facilities necessary for the care of this unfortunate class; the attendants were inexperienced, and few, if any, of the physicians in charge of them had given especial attention to the treatment of the insane. No effort was, however, made to ameliorate their condition till 1840, when the number of the pauper insane had reached, as it was said 800. In that year the subject of providing a hospital especially for them was agitated, and a site was selected about a quarter of a mile from the land which the present hospital occupies. The project failed, and nothing more was done in that direction during more than 20 years.
In 1866, a commission, which had been appointed by the Legislature of the preceding year, reported that there were 706 insane persons in the State, for nearly all of whom it was impossible to secure suitable care and medical attention; and they earnestly recommended that the State should make liberal provision for this afflicted class. In accordance with this recommendation the General Assembly adopted an "Act to create an Hospital for the Insane in the State of Connecticut," which was approved June 29th 1866.
This act provided for the appointment, by the Senate, of twelve trustees, consisting of the governor, ex-officio, one in each county of the State, and three in the town or vicinity where the hospital should be located. It conferred on these trustees the authority necessary to carry into effect its provisions, and appropriated the requisite funds.
The first board of trustees was constituted as follows: H. Sidney HAYDEN, Hartford county; Leverette E. PEASE, Tolland county; Benjamin W. TOMPKINS, New London county; Rev. Samuel G. WILLARD, Windham county; William B. CASEY, M. D., Middlesex county; Richard S. Fellows, New Haven county; Rev. Curtis T. WOODRUFF, Fairfield county; Robbins BATTELL, Litchfield county; Benjamin DOUGLAS, Middletown; Julius HOTCHKISS, Middletown; Rev. Joseph CUMMINGS, D. D., LL. D., Middletown.
At its first meeting this board appointed committees to visit other hospitals, to select a superintendent, to recommend a suitable site, and procure plans for buildings, etc.
Liberal propositions were made by several towns, but the board finally decided to accept for a site about two hundred acres of land which the town of Middletown offered to donate for that purpose. Adjoining lots, including an aggregate of about one hundred acres, were subsequently purchased. This site is about a mile and a half southeasterly from the city of Middletown, and borders on the Connecticut River. It is easy of access by land and water, is dry and healthy, commands, on all sides, extended and beautiful views, and what is of especial importance, includes full control of "Butler's Creek," a living stream, which furnishes an abundant supply of pure soft water, sufficient for all the requirements of the establishment. For the purchase of these lands and the included water rights, the town appropriated an aggregate sum of twenty-five thousand dollars. The selectmen were instructed to discontinue such highways as it might be considered "advisable or expedient for the best interests of the Institution to have closed," and to do "everything that may be necessary to secure its location in this town."
The trustees visited and examined other hospitals and sought every available means of information concerning the needs of institutions for the treatment of the insane.
In October 1866, they appointed Dr. Abram Marvin SHEW, then connected with the New Jersey Lunatic Asylum, superintendent, and adopted the plans which he elaborated. Mr. Addison HUTTON, architect, of Philadelphia, was employed to superintend the construction of the building, and on the 20th of June 1867, the corner stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies. Several of the buildings were enclosed during that summer and autumn, and completed during the next winter. The hospital was formally opened, and 12 men were received on the 30th of April 1868.
The daily average number of patients during the first year was 85.47; and during the second, 225.17. This average steadily increased till, according to the last report, it reached 854.50.
The total amount of appropriations for this hospital to 1869 was $385,000. To meet the constantly increasing demands on its capacity, it has been enlarged by the addition of new buildings and wings, and to defray the cost of these, appropriations have, from time to time, been made by the State. At the end of 1883 the grand total of the appropriations was $788,043.
It is not practicable to give here a minute description of the elegant buildings and grounds of this institution. In their external appearance they display a beauty of which the people may well be proud, and in their internal arrangements, and their adaptation to the purposes for which they were designed, they are not excelled by any institution of the kind in the country.
The hospital has an engine of 25-horse power for artificial ventilation and other purposes to which machinery may be applied. It is warmed by steam, and lighted by gas; and by reason of its abundant supply of pure water and its excellent and judiciously arranged sewers and drains, its sanitary condition is as nearly perfect as possible.
The farm has been skillfully managed, and it productiveness has steadily increased. It is worthy of remark that the sewage from the buildings is, by an ingenious arrangement of he drains, distributed to the different fields of the farm in rotation, greatly increasing their fertility.
In 1866, a commodious wharf was constructed on the bank of the Connecticut River, one third of a mile from the hospital, on land acquired by the trustees for that purpose. Eight hundred dollars were appropriated by the town for the purchase of a site for this wharf. Nearly all the lumber, brick, stone, etc., used in the erection of the buildings were landed on this wharf, and here also has been received the annual supply of coal. A coal shed, with a capacity for storing five hundred towns, was erected near the landing. Here a cargo can be landed at any time when the river is navigable, and kept till its removal is practicable.
A building for the care of the epileptic insane is now in process of erection, and it is proposed to erect other buildings which shall give to the hospital a capacity for 250 more patients than at present.
The following is a list of those who have been trustees of the hospital. Those in italics are still acting.
Ex-Governor Joseph R. HAWLEY, Hartford; Ex-Governor James E. ENGLISH, New Haven; Ex-Governor Marshal JEWELL (deceased), Hartford; Ex-Governor Charles R. INGERSOLL, New Haven; Ex-Governor Richard D. HUBBARD (deceased), Ex-Governor Charles B. ANDREWS, Litchfield; Ex-Governor Hobart B. BIGELOW, New Haven; Governor Thomas M. WALLER, New London; H. Sidney HAYDEN, Windsor; Leverette E. PEASE (deceased), Somers; Samuel G. WILLARD, Colchester; Benjamin W. TOMPKINS (resigned), Norwich; William B. Casey, M. D. (deceased), Middletown; Henry B. HARRISON, New Haven; Rev. Curtiss T. WOODRUFF (removed to New York city), Norwalk; Robbins BATTELL, Norfolk; Benjamin DOUGLAS, Middletown; Julius HOTCHKISS (deceased), Middletown; Rev. Joseph CUMMINGS, D. D., LL. D. (removed from State), Middletown; Lucius S. FULLER, Tolland; Henry WOODWARD, Middletown; Joseph D. BATES (deceased), Danielsonville; Samuel LYNES, M. D. (deceased), Norwalk; Ezra P. BENNETT, M. D. (deceased), Danbury; Richmond M. BULLOCK (deceased), Putnam; E. B. NYE, M. D., Middletown; Joseph W. ALSOP, M. D., Middletown; James G. Gregory, M. D., Norwalk; Henry P. GEIB, M. D., Stamford; M. B. COPELAND, treasurer.
The resident officers are: Abram Marvin SHEW, M. D., superintendent and physician; James OLMSTEAD, M. D., first assistant physician; William E. FISHER, M. D., second assistant physician; Charles E. STANLEY, M. D., third assistant physician; James M. KENISTON, M. D., assistant physician at new hospital; Henry NOBLE, M. D., assistant physician at new south hospital; J. W. THAYER, clerk; P. W. SANDERSON, farmer; Mrs. Margaret DUTTON, matron; Mrs. A. L. WILLIAMS, housekeeper; Mrs. Ella WAITE, housekeeper at new hospital.
CONNECTICUT INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR GIRLS.
In 1864 the attention of several benevolent and philanthropic gentlemen and ladies was called to the necessity for an institution where girls whose surroundings were likely to lead them to vicious or criminal lives could be cared for and educated. Frequent conference took place, and the matter was discussed by these ladies and gentlemen. It was also discussed in the Common Council of New Haven, and as the result, numerous and influential petitions for an act creating such an institution were presented to the General Assembly of 1866. By this Assembly a commission, consisting of Rev. T. K. FESSENDEN, of Farmington; Professor D. C. GILMAN, of New Haven; and Dr. J. P. WHITCOMB, of Brooklyn, was appointed to investigate the subject, and elaborate a plan for the establishment of a reformatory or preventive school for girls who were exposed to vicious influences.
At the session of 1867, this committee reported adversely to the establishment of an institution for abandoned women, but favorably to the creation of an industrial school for girls, for reasons which were set forth at length.
No action was taken at that session of the Legislature, and the advocates of such an institution sought to raise by private subscriptions the funds necessary to establish it. Miss Esther PRATT, of Hartford, subscribed $5,000, and her brother-in-law, Mr. ALLYN, an ex-mayor of the city, at once added to it $2,500. In a few months, more than $20,000 had been subscribed in Hartford. Mrs. STREET, of New Haven, subscribed $5,000, and the amount in that city soon equaled that in Hartford, and other towns and cities contributed generously.
The Legislature of 1868 granted a charter incorporating the subscribers and their associates as "The Connecticut Industrial School for Girls." This charter conferred the powers and rights of guardians to such girls between the ages of 8 and 15, as might be legally committed to their care. A sum, not exceeding $3 per week, was appropriated for each girl, and conditional appropriations were made for buildings. Proposals for the location of the school were received from Winsted, Farmington, and Middletown. Those from the last-named place were regarded as the most satisfactory, and were accepted. As appears by the following extracts from the records, the town appropriated $11,500 for a farm, and thus the site here was secured.
"At a special Town Meeting held in Middletown Nov'r 25, 1868, the following Preamble & Resolutions were after discussion adopted, viz. Whereas the Commissioners of the "Connecticut State Industrial School for Girls," being favorably impressed with the advantages presented by this town, as a suitable location for said School, have examined several sites, any of which would be eligible & whereas, the establishment of such a School (now generally admitted to be a highly important & necessary institution), would be of great benefit to this town on many accounts. Therefore Resolved, That this town does hereby pledge itself to give, provided the School is here located, to the Commissioners, for the purpose of said School, an amount of land not less than fifty acres, eligibly situated, and that a Committee of five judicious citizens be appointed by this meeting to select such site & present it to the Commissioners.
"Resolved That Patrick FAGAN, Samuel C. HUBBARD, Julius HOTCHKISS, Fred'k STEUBEN & George S. HUBBARD be, and they are appointed the Committee to carry out the above resolution. Resolved, That the Selectmen of this town be & they are hereby empowered to pay over to the person or persons duly authorized to receive the same, such sum or sums of money, not exceeding then thousand dollars, as may be required, to secure such site, and that, if necessary, that they be, and hare hereby authorized to borrow a sufficient amount to complete the purchase of the same.
"At a Special Town meeting held at Middletown on the 31st day of July 1869, it was Voted, That the sum of fifteen hundred dollars, be & is hereby appropriated to the Connecticut Industrial School for Girls, this to be in addition to the sum of ten thousand dollars already voted, & to be paid from any funds remaining in the Treasury."
"Contains 46 acres, and is situated between one and two miles southwest of the center of the city, on a gentle elevation, with a crowning level of more than 20 acres, affording room and excellent sites for the buildings. To the east a green lawn slopes to a small brook, affording good facilities for drainage. On three sides, a beautiful prospect opens. The whole farm is capable of the highest culture."
The first two building erected were names the PRATT, and the STREET Homes, in honor of the generous ladies who had donated $5,000 each to the institution. The school was formally opened on the 30th of June 1870.
The progress of this school has been encouraging, thought at about the end of the third year was the darkest period of its history.
In 1874 the homes then in existence were filled to their utmost capacity, and at that time, Mr. ALLYN, the first president of the school, donated $10,000 for a third house, which was named the ALLYN Home.
Mrs. Martha ROGERS, who had at the first given a chapel bell, followed this with other gifts, and finally donated $5,000 for a house, named in her honor, the ROGERS home. These homes were furnished mostly by the generous donations of friends in different parts of the State.
An appropriation of $10,000 was made by the Legislature in 1881 for a fifth home. This was named the RUSSEL Home, in honor of Mrs. Samuel J. RUSSELL, whose legacy of $5,000 enabled the directors to complete it.
An appropriation of $10,000 was also made to provide a water supply, which had previously been derived from the city water works. The necessary land was purchased, a dam and reservoir were built, and the water supply was provided at a cost of $10,419.
At its January session, 1884, the Legislature appropriated $15,000 to erect a building for school rooms and a chapel hall. This building is now in process of construction.
The subjects committed to this institution are viciously inclined girls between the ages of eight and sixteen years. This class includes the stubborn and unruly; truants, vagrants, and beggars; those in danger of falling into vicious habits; and those who have been guilty of punishable offenses but who are not deemed incorrigible. In this institution they receive a good common education, and are taught those branches of industry that will render them self supporting. To accomplish this latter object, as soon as they become proficient in one department, they are transferred to another, and as soon as they are fitted to earn their own living, they are "placed out" in suitable families, but they continue under the control and guardianship of the school till they are 21 years of age. The present average number of inmates of the establishment is 215.
The present officers are: Charles FABRIQUE, president, New Haven; H. D. SMITH, secretary, Plantsville; Charles F. BROWNING, treasurer, Middletown; Charles H. BOND, superintendent; Mrs. Lydia M. BOND, assistant superintendent; Miss Sadie L. BAILEY, office assistant.
ST. LUKE'S HOME FOR DESTITUTE AND AGED WOMEN.
A poor woman, who was a descendant of a prominent family, was left without a home, and was compelled to accept the shelter of the poor house. Her condition aroused the sympathies of Mrs. WILLIAMS, mother of Bishop WILLIAMS, Miss MUTTER, Miss Clara ALSOP, Miss Eliza TIBBS, Miss C. SEBOR, and Miss C. JACKSON. They hired the upper part of the old SAGE house, on Cherry street, and there they placed this unfortunate old lady and one or two others. Afterward, the house now occupied was hired for a time, before it was purchased, and four or five were provided for there. At first each of the churches was represented in this work, but soon afterward they withdrew and left it to the management of the original parties. It then came under the supervision of the Episcopal Church, and a matron was employed to care for the inmates. This was in 1865, and during the session of the Legislature in that year the home, under the above title, was incorporated. The corporators were: Rev. Frederick G. GOODWIN, Rev. Henry DEKOVEN, Ebenezer JACKSON, Henry G. HUBBARD, Charles R. SEBOR, John H. WATKINSON, and Joseph W. ALSOP jr. Section 2 of the act of incorporation provides "that the said trustees shall be seven in number, and shall always be clergymen and laymen in either Protestant church in the city of Middletown, and some clergyman in the Protestant Episcopal church shall be president of the board of trustees."
A house on the corner of Pearl and Court streets was purchased and fitted up, and here, under the care of a matron employed for the purpose, six ladies, who had known better days, have been comfortably provided for.
The officers are: Miss Clara ALSOP, president; Miss S. THORNE, secretary; and Miss H. SEBOR, treasurer. By the contributions of its benevolent friends, this institution has accumulated a fund that renders it partial self-sustaining.
MIDDLESEX COUNTY ORPHANS' HOME.
As "The death of the martyrs was the seed of the Church," so the death of a little child gave origin to the Middlesex County Orphans' Home. In the fall of 1876, the sympathies of Mrs. E. W. N. STARR were enlisted in behalf of a little girl only nine months old, the child of brutal parents. Owing to peculiar circumstances, Mrs. STARR was unable to obtain possession of the child, and it died of neglect and starvation. There was at that time no institution in the State that provided for half-orphans, neglected, or destitute children, and it was to meet this and similar cases, that Mrs. STARR conceived the idea of establishing a home that should afford shelter and protection for every little helpless waif not otherwise provided for. She talked the matter over with her lady friends, and the result was that, on the 9th of May 1877, a meeting was held at RUSSELL Library Hall, and a temporary organization effected. There were present at this meeting: Mrs. E. W. N. STARR, Mrs. Dr. Joseph CUMMINGS, Mrs. William W. WILCOX, Mrs. B. W. BARROWS, Mrs. Stephen C. SOUTHMAYD, Mrs. Charlotte WARNER (now Mrs. C. P. CORNWELL), Mrs. C. P. GRAHAM, Mrs. James G. FOSTER, Mrs. Nelson SMITH, Miss Elizabeth BROOKS (now Mrs. Prof. PRENTISS, of Wesleyan University), Mrs. Orange JUDD, Mrs. G. M. SOUTHMAYD, Mrs. D. W. NORTHROP, Mrs. Edwin J. HURLBUT, Mrs. Dr. George W. BURKE, Mrs. Augustus PUTNAM, Mrs. Benjamin BUTLER, Mrs. Cyrus D. FOSS, Miss Emily A. SHELDEN, Mrs. Isaac B. LINCOLN, Mrs. J. D. SIBLEY, Miss Clara PRATT, and Mrs. C. H. HILL.
The first money raised, with the exception of a few individual subscriptions, was from an entertainment given by which the sum of $220 was realized. Subsequent entertainments were given and sufficient funds were raised to meet all necessary expenses.
The institution was duly incorporated by an act of the Legislature passed February 28th 1877. The names of the incorporators were: S. D. MCCONNELL, W. W. HAZEN, C. J. HILL, G. L. WESTGATE, B. W. BARROWS, Joseph CUMMINGS, James F. SPALDING, A. C. DENISON, J. O. MUNSON, A. S. CHEESEBRO, Frederic GARDINER, Benjamin DOUGLAS, James H. BUNCE, Robert G. PIKE, J. N. CAMP, O. V. COFFIN, M. B. COPELAND, Jesse G. BALDWIN, Henry WARD, Charles C. HUBBARD, Julius HOTCHKISS, Henry A. SAWYER, George STANCLIFF, Henry G. HUBBARD, J. W. ALSOP jr., M. D., William LYMAN, Samuel T. CAMP, Moses W. TERRILL, James G. BALDWIN, S. S. SCRANTON, Robert SUGDEN, E. W. N. STARR, William C. FOWLER, Samuel C. HUBBARD, Samuel STEARNS, jr., Aaron G. PEASE; S. C. HASTINGS, Joseph W. HAYS, George F. PRIOR, N. B. STRICKLAND, John O. COUCH, Samuel J. STARR, John P. HOFFORT, D. A. CLEAVELAND, Henry D. A. WARD, George W. BURKE, R. L. DEZENG, R. W. MATHEWSON, E. P. AUGUR, Lucius R. HAZEN, O. C. BUCKLAND, William D. WILLARD, H. N. RUTTY, A. B. CALEF, James R. ROCKWELL, John H. SAGE, J. E. BIDWELL, William W. COE, D. Ward NORTHROP, R. A. PEASE, W. F. BURROWS, William W. VANDEUSEN, George S. HUBBARD, Parsons COE, James P. NORTON, W. F. BURROWS, Frederick W. HUBBARD, Curtis BACON, F. W. BLISS, L. M. LEACH, William H. REYNOLDS, Charles W. BURR, J. W. HUBBARD, and Edward PADDOCK.
The associate incorporators were composed of the following ladies:
Mrs. J. W. ALSOP, Mrs. B. W. BARROWS, Mrs. George W. BURKE, Mrs. Benjamin BUTLER, Mrs. J. E. BIDWELL, Mrs. James H. BUNCE, Mrs. H. F. BOARDMAN, Mrs. Dr. L. BAILEY, Mrs. S. H. BUTLER, Mrs. Rev. John W. BEACH, Miss Caroline E. BACON, Mrs. Dr. CUMMINGS, Mrs. A. R. CRITTENDEN, Mrs. D. W. CAMP, Mrs. Dr. CLEVELAND, Miss Mary COPELAND, Mrs. William DOUGLAS, Mrs. Benjamin DOUGLAS, Mrs. Evan DAVIS, Miss Nelly DOUGLAS, Mrs. Dr. EDGERTON, Mrs. Cyrus H. FOSS, Mrs. J. G. FOSTER, Mrs. F. L. GLEASON, Mrs. C. P. GRAHAM, Mrs. Harriet GERAND, Mrs. Ira L. GARDINER, Mrs. Dr. Frederic GARDINER, Miss Margaret S. HUBBARD, Mrs. G. H. HURLBERT, Mrs. E. E. G. HURLBURT, Mr. J. P. HOFFORT, Mrs. C. J. HILL, Mrs. A. W. HAZEN, Mrs. Prof. HARRINGTON, Mrs. Orange JUDD, Mrs. Elizabeth KILBOURN, Mrs. Isaac B. LINCOLN, Mrs. ABNER NEWTON jr., Mrs. D. Ward NORTHROP, Miss E. M. NORTHROP, Mrs. Robert PITKIN, Mrs. Rev. George PRENTISS, Mrs. A. PUTNAM, Mrs. C. J. POST, Mrs. A. R. PARSHLEY, Miss Clara PRATT, Miss Fanny A. RUSSELL, Mrs. Samuel RUSSELL, Mrs. William M. RICE, Mrs. Isaac ROBERTS, Mrs. M. E. ROCKWELL, Mrs. E. W. N. STARR, Mrs. Nelson SMITH, Mrs. W. H. SHERMAN, Mrs. J. D. SIBLEY, Mrs. G. M. SOUTHMAYD, Mrs. Stephen C. SOUTHMAYD, Mrs. Henry S. STEELE, Mrs. Leopold STRAUSS, Miss Emily A. SELDEN, Miss Sara SILL, Mrs. N. C. STILES, Mrs. Rev. A. W. TABOR, Miss Sarah THORNE, Mrs. Prof. J. M. VANVLECK, Mrs. Henry S. WHITE, Mrs. J. H. WATKINSON, Mrs. Charlotte WARNER, Mrs. G. L. WESTGATE, Mrs. William WILCOX, Miss Eliza H. WOODWARD, Miss Frank WARD, Mrs. Henry Ward.
Section 5 of the Articles of Incorporation provides:
"That the board of managers for the time being shall have the entire control of the concerns of said corporation, and they shall make all the subscriptions, donations, funds, and estates belonging to the same solely for the use and benefit of said corporation, and for the charitable objects for which it is incorporated; and no sale, transfer, or incumbrance of any part of the estate of said corporation shall be valid until approved by at least a majority of said managers. The said managers shall have power and authority to receive into the Home of said corporation such indigent children as they may judge most suitable objects of charity, and also to accept a surrender, in writing, by the father, or, when there is no father, by the mother or guardian, or from the selectmen of the town of Middletown, or any other town in this State, of any indigent child as aforesaid; and they shall have sole and exclusive care, guardianship, and direction of such child so received or surrendered, which a guardian appointed by a Court of Probate, may or ought to have. And the said manager may, with the consent and approbation of the judge of probate of the Middletown district, bind out any child whom they have received under their care and direction.-if male, until twenty-one years of age; if a female, until eighteen years of age, or until her marriage within the age of eighteen years, to be apprenticed to some proper person, to be instructed in some suitable trade, pursuit, or profession, according to the rules and regulations which may from time to time adopted by said corporation."
From the list of associate incorporators forty ladies were elected as a board of managers, and from these were selected the several officers and committees. The committees were divided into an executive, a beneficiary, a finance, and visiting committee. The following were the first regularly elected officers: President, Mrs. Rev. Joseph CUMMINGS; vice-president, Mrs. Rev. C. J. HILL; recording secretary, Mrs. Orange JUDD; corresponding secretary, Miss Eliza WOODWARD; treasurer, Miss Nellie DOUGLAS.
A building was rented for the reception of the children, and the institution formally opened on the 15th of July 1878. During the first two months no expenses were incurred for the care of the home, Mrs. R. S. BAILEY and Mrs. M. E. ROCKWELL volunteering their services for this purpose. The institution was supported entirely by voluntary contributions, a part of which was a weekly donation of a basket of provisions, valued at $5, from each member of the board of managers. The total amount of receipts, from October 17th 1877 to December 2d 1878, was $1,086.17, and the expenditures were $750.34. For the year ending December 5th 1881, the receipts were $1,654.88, and the expenditures were $1,381.95. For the year ending December 4th 1882, the receipts were $2,974.16, and the expenses $2,226.48.
The institution prospered under the management of these ladies, and an appeal was made to the State for an appropriation for its permanent support. This led to the appointment of a committee of investigation, and as the result of their report, the Legislature passed an act, in March 1883, providing for the establishment of homes for destitute children, over 2 years of age, in every county in the State.
Through the efforts of Mrs. HILL and other ladies, the sum of $610 was raised at different periods towards the establishment of a home. This sum was deposited in the Middletown Savings Bank, where it still remains, but owing to an act of the Legislature giving the State authorities control of the children, this money is no longer required for that purpose.
The following ladies have served as officers of the home during the different periods named. For 1878: Mrs. O. J. HILL, 1st vice-president and acting president; Miss Nellie A. DOUGLAS, treasurer; Mrs. N. C. STILES, recording and corresponding secretary. For 1879: Mrs. Cyrus D. FOSS, president; Mrs. George PRENTISS, 1st vice-president; Mrs. Rev. B. W. BARROWS, 2d vice-president; Mrs. Rev. M. W. TABOR, 3d vice-president; Mrs. George W. BURKE, treasurer; Mrs. N. C. STILES, recording and corresponding secretary. For 1880: Mrs. Cyrus D. FOSS, president; Mrs. Rev. George PRENTISS, vice-president; Mrs. Rev. Charles J. HILL, 2d vice-president; Mrs. J. E. BIDWELL, 3d vice president; Mrs. George W. BURKE, treasurer; Mrs. N. C. STILES, corresponding and recording secretary. In 1881-82; Mrs. Rev. C. J. HILL, president; Mr. Rev. Frederic GARDINER, 1st vice president; Mrs. J. E. BIDWELL, 2d vice-president; Mrs. J. G. FOSTER, 3d vice-president; Mrs. George W. BURKE, treasurer; Miss E. M. NORTHROP, recording secretary; Mrs. Dr. F. D. EDGERTON, corresponding secretary.
LODGES AND SOCIETIES.
ST. JOHNS LODGE, No. 2., F. & A. M.-In 1733 the Grand Lodge of England, F. & A. M., granted a dispensation to certain petitioning brethren in Boston, Mass., for the formation of a lodge to be known as St. John's Lodge, and a Provincial Grand Master was appointed for New England with power to grant dispensations for the formation of other lodges. Subsequent to this, Thomas OXNARD, of Boston, received the appointment of Provincial Grand Master of New England from the "Right Honorable and Most Worshipful John, Lord WARD, Baron of Birmingham, County of Warwick, England." The first charter granted by the Provincial Grand Master of New England for the formation of a lodge was in 1734, to Benjamin Franklin and others for a lodge in Philadelphia. The second charter was for a lodge in Newport, R. I., dated December 27th 1749. The third charter was to "Hiram Lodge," New Haven, Conn., August 12th 1750. On the organization of the Grand Lodge of the State of Connecticut this Lodge surrendered its old charter, and applied for a new one under the name of Union Lodge. This placed St. John's Lodge of Middletown second on the list and it has since been known as No. 2. The fourth was to St. John's Lodge, New London, Conn., and the fifth to St. John's Lodge of Middletown, of which the following is a copy:
T. OXNARD G. M. Grand Lodge Seal. Follow Regular
To all and Every our R. Worshipful and Loving Brethren, Free and Accepted masons now Residing, or that may hereafter Reside in Middletown, in the colony of Connecticut, the R. Worshipful Thomas OXNARD, Esqr., Provincial Grand Master of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Massons in North America Sendeth Greeting: WHEREAS, Application hath been made unto us by Ichabod CAMP and Sundry other Brethern of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Massons now residing at Middletown aforesaid, that we would be pleased to Constitute them into a Regular Lodge that Massonry may Increase and Flourish in those parts. Now Know Ye That we have Nominated, Ordain'd, constituted and appointed, and by these Presents do Nominate, Ordain, Constitute and Appoint Our Rt. Worshipful and Well-beloved Brother Mr. Jehosaphat STARR, to be the First Master of the Lodge at Middletown aforewaid; and do hereby Impower him to congregate the brethren together and form them into a Regular Lodge. He taking Special Care in Choosing Two Wardens and other Officers necessary for the due Regulation thereof, for One year, at the end whereof the Lodge shall have full power to Choose and Appoint theire Master and other Officers, and so on Annually. The Master and Wardens for the Time being taking Special Care that all and every Member admitted into said Lodge from Time to Time have been or shall be made Regular Masons, and that they do cause all and every; The Regulations contained in the Printed Book of Constitutions (except so far as they have been Altered by the Grand Lodge at their quarterly meetings in London) to be kept and observed as also all such other Rules and Instructions as shall be from Time to Time Transmitted to them by us or by our Deputy or by the Grand Master or his Deputy for the Time being; and that they do send Annually an Amount in writing to us or our Deputy or to the Grand Master or his Deputy for the time being of the names of the members of said Lodge, and their place of abode, with the days and place of meeting with any other things that they may think proper to Communicate for the benefit of their Lodge, and that they do send Two Guineas for their Constitution, to be paid into the Stock of the Grand Lodge in Boston; and further, that they do Annually Keep or cause to be kept The Feast of St. John the Evangelist, and Dine together on that Day or near that Day, as shall be Judged most convenient; and Lastly, that they do Regularly communicate with the Grand Lodge in Boston, by sending to their Quarterly communications such Charity as their Lodge shall think fit for the Relief of poor Brethren.
Given under our Hands and Seals at Boston, This Fourth Day of February, Anno Domini One Thousand Seven Hundred and Fifty-four and of Masonry five thousand Seven Hundred and Fifty-four.
By the Grand Master Command.
Benjamin HALLOWELL, D. G. M.
Charles BROCKWELL, S. G. W.
James FORBES, J. G. W.
John LEVERETT, G. S.
The first regular communication of St. John's Lodge of Middletown, Conn., was held at the tavern of Captain Michael BURNHAM, February 26th 1754. This tavern was the house now occupied by Dr. EDGERTON on Washington street below Main. It appears by the town records that Captain Michael BURNHAM came from Hartford and purchased this property in 1750.
The charter members were: Jehosaphat STARR, Thomas TYLER, Richard ALSOP, Ichabod CAMP, John EASTON, Samuel GRIFFIN, Samuel BEMENT, Jedediah STOW, Israel ABBOTT, Phillip MORTIMER, George PHILLIPS, Thomas EDWARDS, George LAWSON, William DAVIS, Elijah DAVIS, and Comfort SAGE.
"Jehosaphat STARR read his deputation from Thomas OXNARD Esq., appointing him Deputy Grand Master of the lodge and after the usual ceremonies he nominated aloud Brother Thomas TYLER for his Senior WARDEN, Brother Richard ALSOP for his Junior WARDEN, Brother Ichabod CAMP for his Treasurer, and John EASTON, his Secretary. A committee on by-laws was appointed and subsequently submitted the following, which were adopted:
By Laws for the well Regulating the First Lodge of Free and Accepted Massons in Middletown, February 26th 5754.
Presented by Bro. Thomas TYLER and unanimously received and consented too By the right worshipfull Jehosaphat STAR, Deputy Grand Master, the Wardens and members of Said Lodge.
1st. It is ordered that this Lodge meet every Wednesday evening till the members are Good workmen.
2nd. The Lodge to be opened at ½ Past 6 o'clock, from March 10th to 10 September, and at 6 o'clock from 19th Sepr. To 10th March again, to be closed always by nine, or sooner if the master pleases, which when done, no Brother shall insist upon, or force another to tarry longer.
3d. If any of the brethren should be so imprudent as to sware profanely during Lodge house he shall pay one shilling Lawfull money to the Treasurer of the Lodge to be Deposited in the fund for the Relief of Poor Brethren.
4th. When a Candidate is proposed for admission the Proposer shall pay to the Treasurer Twenty Shillings L. M. as Earnest for his Initiation in Case he be accepted, if he be not Balloted in the money to be return'd.
5th. Every Candidate, at his Admission, shall pay to the Treasurer Twenty Shillings L. M. more for the use of the Lodge, and shall be at the expense of a pair of Gloves to each of the members present at his admission all other Charges to be born by the Lodge.
6th. Whereas, by the new Regulations of the Grand Lodge in London, Liberty is granted to particular Lodges to Admit a Candidate if they think proper when there are no more than three votes against him, but the better to preserve Harmony this Lodge declines that Priviledge, and no Candidate be admitted unless the votes are Unanimous.
7th. A Candidate shall not be Ballotted for the same night he is Proposed, but the next Lodge night after; that his qualifications may be discusses, &c., unless the Lodge can with safety dispence with this Law by being well acquainted with the Merits of the Candidate, nor shall a Candidate be admitted the same night he is Ballotted in, but the next Lodge Night.
8th. Every member and Visiting Brother shall pay one shilling L. M. each night he is at the Lodge.
9th. When an Occasional or special Lodge is call'd for the Admission of a Candidate he shall be at the whole Charge of that night.
10th. Though for Certain reasons it is provided in the Book of Constitution that the feasts of Saint John's the Baptist & Evangelist may be omitted, yet as them Reasons no Way Affect this Lodge the said festivals shall be observed & kept in due form and according to ancient Usages.
11th. The Members of this Lodge shall be very Cautious of their Behavior both in Lodge and without, that no unjust Reflections may be thrown on the Royal Art.
12th. The Master shall order this Lodge to meet on the evenings of the first and third Wednesdays of every month.
13th. The Treasurer of the Lodge shall accompt once in six months, and the surplusage of all monies in his hands, shall be put into the Chest, in order to Raise a fund for the Relief of poor Brethren.
14th. If any of the Brethren should be so void of shame as to disguise himself in liquor, or shall come disgus'd to the Lodge, he shall pay a fine of Two shillings L. M., be dismissed for that night, and the Next Lodge night he comes, shall be severely Reprimanded & dealt by according to the manner of Masons.
15th. Whoever promotes feuds or animosities, or endeavors to disturb the Tranquility of the Lodge, shall likewise be dealt by us as seemeth meet unto the master and his men.
16th. As Masonry ought never to be neglected, and as true Cement is necessary for keeping the Lodge in a firm state, so if any member shall be in town and absent himself of a Lodge Night, she shall be charg'd his Club unless he give a satisfactory reason for his absence.
17th. The foregoing Laws shall not be Abrogated Nor any new ones made unless it be by a Majority of Votes.
"SUMMONS FOR QUARTERLY MEETING.
BOSTON, March 12th 1754.
"Right Worshipful Brother
"I have received orders from our Right Worshipful Brother Thomas OXNARD Esq. Provincial Grand Master in North America to summons the Masters and Wardens of all Regular Lodges within his District to attend him at the Royal Exchange Tavern, in King Street, Boston, the second Friday in April next at 6 o'clock P. M., being Grand Lodge Quarterly communication. You are desired to attend with your Wardens and bring what Charity your Lodge shall think proper for the Relief of poor Brethren. You are desired to send a List of your Members and the time and place of your meetings. The Grand Lodge in January last Pass'd the following Vote to which you are to Conform viz. Voted that no Brother within our District shall be master of any Regular Lodge under Thirty years of age.
"I am Right Worshipfull
"Your Humbl' Se'v't & Bro'r
"John LEVERETT G. S.
"Mr. Jehos STARR Master of the
Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons
In Middletown, Connecticut."
The lodge continued to work under the original charter until May 20th 1795, when a new charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Connecticut, signed by William JUDD, G. M.; and John MIX, G. S., and the old one surrendered.
The stated communications of the lodge were held subsequently at the house of Mrs. Ashabel SHALER, mother of Nathaniel SHALER, in the old frame building (still standing) just below the Episcopal church, on Main street. Early in the present century it met at the Washington Hotel, corner of Main and Washington streets, which is now owned and occupied by the Divinity School. Afterward, a piece of property on High street was purchased by the lodge, with a view of erecting a building. Nothing was done, however, and the property was subsequently sold.
Some of the most distinguished men in the country have been, at different periods, connected with this lodge, among whom are General Comfort SAGE, General Samuel Holden PARSONS, Commodore MCDONOUGH, chief Justice Stephen T. HOSMER, Rev. Abraham JARVIS, the second Episcopal Bishop of Connecticut, and a long list of prominent citizens of Middletown. The growth of Freemasonry in the United States, as indicated by the membership of St. John's Lodge during the several decades from the time of its organization, has been fluctuating. From 754 to 1764 there were 116; from 1764 to 1774, 29; from 1774 to 1784, 37; from 1784 to 1794, 28; from 1794 to 1804, 132; from 1804 to 1814, 59; from 1814 to 1824, 78; from 1824 to 1834, 64; from 1834 to 1844, 12; from 1844 to 1854, 55; from 1854 to 1864, 106; from 1864 to 1874, 121; from 1874 to 1884, 78; making the total membership from 1754 to 1884, a period of 130 years, 895, being an average of about 7 members a year or 70 for each decade. The largest number was from 1794 to 1804 being 132; the smallest, from 1834 to 1844, was only 12. There have been periods of 9 to 12 years when none were admitted. From 1836 to 1848 a period of 12 years, none were admitted. This covered a period when the Morgan sensation entered largely into politics. The oldest living member of St. John's Lodge is William P. SPENCER, of Higganum, who was admitted in 1824. The oldest living past master is Jonathan KILBOURN, who united with the lodge in 1828 and served as master.
It is a fact worthy of notice, that all the buildings used by the lodge for their meetings during the 130 years are still standing and in good condition.
The following named persons have served as W. M.: Jehosaphat STARR, February 4th 1754; Richard ALSOP, June 4th 1755; Phillip MORTIMER, December 27th 1756; George PHILLIPS, December 27th 1757; Ichabod CAMP, December 27th r758 ; Phillip MORTIMER, June 24th 1760; George PHILLIPS, December 27th 1764; Richard ALSOP, December 27th 1765; Comfort SAGE, December 30th 1767; John COTTON, December 27th 1781; Samuel H. PARSONS, June 26th 1782; Comfort SAGE, December 27th 1783; Robert WARNER, December 27th 1784; Asher MILLER, December 25th 1786; Lamberton COOPER, December 27th 1788; Ebenezer SAGE, December 15th 1790; Stephen T. HOSMER, December 23d 1794; Samuel CANFIELD, June 21st 1798; William B. HALL, December 17th 1800; Alexander COLLINS, June 25th 1804; Stephen T. HOSMER, December 28th 1809; Samuel ELLS, December 26th 1810; Levi H. CLARK, December 30th 1812; William C. HALL, December 29th 1813; Stephen T. HOSMER, January 4th 1814; Samuel COOPER, May 14th 1816; Lysander WELLS, December 26th 1821; Samuel COOPER, December 26th 1823; Horace CLARK, December 15th 1824; Samuel BABCOCK, December 20th 1826; George W. BULL, December 17th 1828; Edward S. CONE, December 8th 1830; Merrils WARD, February 2d 1831; Alanson WORK, February 6th 1833; Lot D. VANSANDS, February 24th 1834; Joseph C. BURKE, December 17th 1834; Jonathan KILBOURN jr., December 25th 1835; Caleb MILLER, January 18th 1836; Samuel BABCOCK, December 2d 1846; Townsend P. ABEL, December 15th 1848; Elliott BRADLEY, December 20th 1850; William B. CASEY, December 19th 1856; James E. BIDWELL, January 11th 1860; George H. BISHOP, December 28th 1860; Henry WOODWARD, October 2d 1863; George H. BISHOP, December 18th 1863; Alfred O. SMITH, December 16th 1864; William SHAY, December 21st 1866; Charles W. STEARNS, December 13th 1867; William H. BURROWS, December 11th 1868; J. B. KILBOURN, December 9th 1870; J. L. S. ROBERTS, January 3d 1873; William H. FAGAN, December 11th 1874; L. C. VINAL, December 10th 1875; Arthur W. BACON, December 8th 1876; John V. ADAMS, December 14th 1877; W. K. BACON, December 13th 1878; Charles R. FAGAN, December 12th 1879; Franklin H. TAYLOR, December 3d 1880; L. O. Davis, December 2d 1881; Russell H. WHITTAKER, December 1st 1882; Wesley U. PEARNE, December 7th 1883.
Present officers: Wesley U. PEARNE, W. M.; Henry Bernard, S. W.; r. W. BURKE, J. W.; L. O. Davis, treasurer. E. S. DAVIS, secretary; J. E. BIDWELL, W. K. BACON, L. O. DAVIS, trustees.
MARK MASTERS DEGREE.-The records do not show the exact date of this organization, but it was the outgrowth or continuation of St. John's Lodge, F. & A. M., and the first meeting was held about 1781. The first record in the minute book contains the by laws, which are similar to those of the Blue lodge. The following are the names of the first singers of the by laws, with the distinguishing "mark: of each:
Samuel H. PARSONS, turn stars; John Lewis DE KOVEN, hope and anchor; John COTTON, ink and pen; John HEART, ark; Stephen RANNEY, rose; Joseph WEBB, time; Eli FOOT, justice; Ralph POMEROY, the sun; Matthew REED, two pillars; Wm. REDFIELD, the square; Wm. WORTHINGTON, hand in hand; David STARR, key; Step. LAY, olive leaf; Wm. JOYCE, the compass; Elijah BINGHAM, seven candlesticks; Comfort SAGE, Bible; Robert WARNER, rays of light; Jehosaphat STARR, moon; John HEART, heart; Allyn PRYOR, stone; Daniel COTTON, beaver; Edward MILLER, five points; Samuel BURR, bee hive; Noadiah BISSELL, the artch; Sam'l STILLMAN, quadrant, and taken by Samuel STOCKING; Jared BROWN, wheat leaf; Ebenezer GRIFFIN, sword; Nathan SAGE, ship; Sam'l WILLIS, lamb; John WEBB, lion; Noah COLEMAN, lancet; Eben GRAY, bald eagle; W. C. MOORE, ship compass; Wm. DOUGLAS, head and marrow bones; Bishop Abraham JARVIS, pulpit; John BROWN, Somerset, Massachuseth State, pine tree; S. Titus HOSMER, trine, motto of Middletown; Per as pera ad astra; Samuel CLARK, north pole, motto, Commerce; Rev. Ashabel BALDWIN, Stratford, an organ, motto: May it always sound forth the praises of friendship and love; Bezaleel LATIMER, liberty: a woman in a flowing robe with a branch of olive in her hand and a cap above; Noadiah HUBBARD jun'r, plough, motto: Husbandry; Joshua STOW, the eye, motto: Vigilance.
WASHINGTON CHAPTER, NO. 6, R. A. M.-A royal arch chapter was formed, in 1783, which subsequently became Washington Chapter, No. 6. By the following record it appears that certain royal arch masons formed themselves into a chapter "for the purpose of promoting the royal Craft."
"We the subscribers of St. John's Lodge, No. 2, in Middletown, State of Connecticut, having been duly initiated into that most sublime degree of an excellent super excellent Royal Arch Mason, in regular constituted Royal Arch Chapters. For the purpose of promoting the Royal Craft, assembled ourselves at the Lodge Room in said Middletown at Mrs. Abigail SCHALER's after properly examining each other, and finding each and every one of us to have been regularly made agreed to form ourselves into a Royal Arch Chapter under sanction of St. John's Lodge.
"Witness our hands this 5th day of Sept. A. D. 1783 and of Royal Arch Masonry 5783.
"John Lewis DEKOVEN
The following officers were then duly elected to serve for three months: John Lewis DEKOVEN, captain general or royal arch captain; William JOYCE, senior grand master; William REDFIELD, second grand master; David STARR; third grand master; and Edward MILLER, scribe. Brothers Lewis and DEKOVEN were appointed a committee to form a code of by-laws. Brothers DEKOVEN and JOYCE were appointed a committee to procure seven aprons and seven sashes to be worn by the officers.
The second convocation of this chapter was held at the same place, September 12th 1783, when the following names were balloted for and passed: Brother Jonathan HEART, Samuel Holden PARSONS (who was then master of St. John's Lodge). Ralph POMEROY, of Hartford, proposed himself by letter. William REDFIELD was elected treasurer at this meeting. At a subsequent convocation, held September 19th 1783, Samuel Holden PARSONS, Ralph POMEROY, and Joseph WEBB received the noble degree of royal Arch Mason.
On December 26th 1783, a regular convocation was held at the lodge room of Mrs. Abigal SHALER, when the following officers were elected to serve for one year: Captain general, or royal arch captain, Comfort SAGE, senior grand master, Lewis DEKOVEN; second grand master, Ralph POMEROY; third grand master, William REDFIELD.
Regular convocations were held, from year to year, with no other than this self-constituted authority, until 1796, when the chapter received a charter from Washington Chapter of royal Arch Masons, New York city, from which it derived its present name. The following is a copy of the charter:
"At a Washington Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, held in the City of New York North America on Tuesday the fifteenth day of March A. L. 5798 (1796).
"Whereas Brothers William REDFIELD in behalf of himself and sundry other Brethren residing at Middletown in the State of Connecticut did on this day present a Memorial to this Chapter, praying that they might be invested with sufficient power to form and hold a regular Chapter in Middletown aforesaid."
"Now be it Known that by virtue of the power to us regularly committed we have in ample form constituted those of our beloved brethren into a regular Chapter by the name and stile of Washington Chapter of royal Arch Mason, No. 3, held in the City of Middletown, Connecticut, and installed the several officers into their respective stations in manner we have received it to wit.
"The Most Worshipful Brother William REDFIELD H. P.; The Right Worshipful Brother Stephen T. HOSMER K . . g; and the Right Worshipful The Rev'd Abraham JARVIS s . . .e; The Worshipful Brother Robert WARNER R. A. C.; and the Worshipful Brother Thomas LEVERITT Z . . . l; the last four severally by Proxy.
"And our said beloved Brethren and their successors in office are hereby authorized and directed, by and with the assistance and concurrence of a majority of the members of the said Washington Chapter to be summoned and present upon such occasions to elect and install the Officers of said Chapter as often as vacancies happen in manner and form as may be prescribed and directed by the Constitution and General Laws of the Mother Chapter, but in no wise to have power to grant any dispensation to hold any chapter under them or to install any other than the said Washington Chapter to be elected in manner and form aforesaid.
"And further, we do hereby enjoin upon the said Washington Chapter at least once in every year immediately or as soon after the election and installment of the several new Officers to communicate to us the state and condition of the said Chapter, that we may know what Brethren have attained to this exalted degree, and who by their virtue and zeal for the prosperity and welfare of the Order have been promoted to office.
"IN WITNESS whereof we the presiding Officers of Washington Chapter hereunto set our hand and caused the Seal of our Said Chapter to be affixed.
"John ABRAMS H. P. W. C. R. A. M.
"John C. LUDLOW K. W. C. R. A. M.
"Wm. RICHARDSON, S. W. C. R. A. M.
"Ez'l HICKS, Secretary."
Nothing is known at the present time of the Washington Chapter, R. A. M., New York city, that granted this charter, nor of the "Mother Chapter" referred to in the charter. The chapter continued to work under the charter until a new charter was granted.
The old charter was not recognized and was never surrendered. It is carefully preserved among the archives of the chapter, and is an interesting Masonic relic.
The present officers of the chapter are: Walace K. BACON, K.; H. C. HARRIS, S.; C. W. HARRIS, treasurer; E. S. DAVIS, secretary; E. S. MILLER, C. of H.; L. O. DAVIS, P. S.; William WALKER, R. A. C.; J. S. BAILEY, 3d V.; C. H. EDWARDS, 1st V.; Henry WOODWARD, 2d V.
The first meeting of the Grand Chapter of the Northern States of America, after its organization, was held, agreeably to the Constitution, in the city of Middletown, Connecticut, on the third Wednesday of September 5798.
Present: Champions William WOART, general grand secretary; Rev. Abraham L. CLARK, general grand chaplain; Excellent Benjamin HURD jr., general grand king, was represented by Companion Henry FOWLE, of St. Andrew's Chapter, Massachusetts, his proxy; Excellent James HARRISON, deputy grand scribe, Massachusetts, represented by companion Samuel BILLINGS, his proxy; Excellent Seth WHEATON, deputy grand high priest; Excellent Gershom JONES, deputy grand king; and Samuel EDDY, deputy grand scribe, Deputy Grand Chapter Rhode Island, where represented by excellent companion Rev. Abraham L. CLARKE.
The septennial meeting of the General Grand Chapter was held at Middletown, January 9th 5806.
CYRENE COMMANDERY, No. 8, K. T.-The following report of this commandery is taken from the able and interesting address delivered in 1878 by R. E. Sir Henry WOODWARD, Past Right Eminent Grand Commander of Connecticut:
"In the year 1867 there were living in the towns of Middletown and Portland, fourteen Knights Templar, and hailing from four different commanderies, ten from Washington No. 1, Hartford, two from New Haven, one from Palestine No. 6, and one from Malta Commandery of Binghampton, New York." The first meeting was held November 4th 1867, and the following Sir Knights were nominated for the first three officers, viz.: Sir Alfred O. SMITH, E. C.; Sir Henry WOODWARD, Gen.; Sir C. W. STEARNS, C. G. Instead of petitioning for a dispensation, these Sir Knights, acting on the advice of R. E. Sir Stiles G. SPERRY, then Grand commander of the State, applied to the Grand Commandery, which was about holding its semi-annual conclave at New London, and within three days after the first steps were taken, a charter was granted. The charter members were: Sir Knights Horace CLARK, T. B. ABEL, Jonathan KILBOURN, Henry WOODWARD, A. O. SMITH, James E. BIDWELL, C, W. STEARNS, Samuel STEARNS jr., E. G. PARKHURST, S. Nelson HALL, Alfred HALL, George STANCLIFF, W. H. BUDD, and J. C. VANBENSCHOTEN. The commandery was instituted December 19th 1867, by R. E. Sir S. G. SPERRY, R. E. G. C., at the MCDONOUGH House. The following officers were duly installed: E. Sir A. O. SMITH, E. C.; Henry WOODWARD, Gen.; C. W. STEARNS, C. G.; T. P. ABEL, Prel.; Samuel STEARNS jr., S. W.; E. G. PARKHURST, J. W.; John KILBOURN, Treasurer; J. E. BIDWELL, Rec.; S. N. HALL, St'd B.; W. H. BUDDE, Sw'd B.; J. E. BIDWELL, Wdr. E. Sir Elijah ACKLEY was the first person who received the orders of knighthood in the commandery. In 1883, while apparently in excellent health, he dropped dead of apoplexy at his home.
The total number of Sir Knights at present is 78. The following named persons have since served as E. C., viz.: Henry WOODWARD, December 6th 1869, and December 5th 1870; E. ACKLEY, December 2d 1872; J. S. BAILEY, December 15th 1873; J. S. SMITH, December 20th 1875; J. B. KILBOURN, December 4th 1876; c. R. FAGAN, December 10th 1877; W. K. BACON, December 1st 1879; Ira L. GARDINER, December 6th 1880; G. R. BURDICK, December 5th 1881; Henry WOODWARD, December 4th 1882, and December 3d 1883.
The present officers are: Henry WOODWARD, E. C.; W. K. BACON, G.; Ira L. GARDINER, C. G.; J. W. HUBBARD, P.; R. H. WHITAKER, S. W.; J. S. BAILEY, J. W.; C. W. HARRIS, treasurer; E. S. DAVIS, secretary; F. W. FLAGG, St. Br.; J. R. PITT, Swd. Br.; Willis CHEENEY, warder; C. B. BIDWELL, 1st G.; H. H. ABBE, 2d G.; G. R. BURDICK, 3d G.; Wallace PEASE, sentinel.
CENTRAL LODGE, No. 12, I. O. O. F., was instituted June 12th 1843, by Charles William BRADLEY, grand master of Connecticut. The charter members were: Stephen M. SHADDICK, Erastus H. BOOTH, Origen UTLEY, Charles H. MATHER, and Timothy SAGE. The first officers were: Stephen M. SHADDICK, N. G.; Erastus H. BOOTH, V. G.; Origen UTLEY, secretary; J. E. BIDWELL was initiated July 13th 1843 and was elected treasurer. He is at present permanent secretary, which position he has held for 30 years. The present officers are: Benjamin F. ROBINSON, N. G.; H. W. WARD, V. G.; John B. KIRBY, recording secretary; David DICKINSON, treasurer. The present membership is 224.
SCHILLER LODGE, No 92, I. O. O. F., was organized February 11th 1874. The charter members were Louis WOLF, Leopold STRAUSS, Christopher SNYDER, Jacob SCHWIGER, Frederick KENNEBECKER, Henry BERNHARD, and Henry KATT. The first officers were Leopold STRAUSS, N. G.; Jacob SCHWIGER, V. G.; John C. FISHER, recording secretary; Louis WOLF, treasurer; Henry KATT, financial or permanent secretary. The present officers are: Ernest FIRL, N. G.; George KAUTH, V. G.; Andrew LOHNEISS, recording secretary, Frederick KENNEBECKER, treasurer, Adam HEINRICH, financial or permanent secretary.
SOWHEAG ENCAMPMENT, No. 6, I. O. O. F., was instituted September 27th 1844, by John L. DEVOTION, grand patriarch, assisted by John C. PALMER, of Oriental Encampment, East Haddam, and C. A. CONVERSE, of Palmyra Encampment, New London. The charter members were Erastus H. BOOTH, Origen UTLEY, Alfred HALL, Thomas C. SIMPSON, James S. PARMALEE, Patrick FAGAN, William CHAPMAN. The first officers were E. H. BOOTH, C. P.; Origen UTLEY, H. P.; Alfred HALL, S. W.; T. C. SIMPSON, scribe; J. S. PARMALEE, treasurer; P. Fagan, J. W. The present officers are: Henry H. BULLARD, C. P.; Henry R. YOUNG, H. P.; William INGLIS, S. W.; John C. FISHER, scribe; Henry A. CHAMBERLAIN, treasurer; Herbert W. WARD, J. W. Present membership, 75.
ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS, Division No. 1, Middletown, was organized by John F. NOLAN, March 1st 1872. At the date of its organization the society consisted of only 12 members. Since that time it has increased to 66 members, and it had, in August 1884, over $3,000 in the treasury. It is a mutual aid and burial association. The first board of officers, elected at the time of its organization, consisted of John F. NOLAN, president; W. J. TYNAN, vice-president; Owen JOYCE, recording secretary; Daniel E. GREEN, financial secretary; W. J. COUGHLAN, treasurer. The following persons have acted as presiding officers since that time: E. LAVINS, J. F. NOLAN, A. GRIFFIN, Thomas KINSELLA, J. SPLANE, John HOAR, and Frank MCCARTON. It is at present governed by the following officers: John DAVITT, president; John H. GRIFFIN, vice-president; Timothy O'BRIEN, recording secretary; Daniel MCCARTHY, financial secretary; Martin GORMAN, treasurer; W. J. KELLEY, assistant secretary.
APOLLO LODGE, No. 33, K. of P.-This lodge was instituted, November 6th 1872, by grand chancellor E. E. BOWNS, in the hall of the G. A. R., over PEASE's store. Delegations from East Berlin, Middlefield, Hartford, Essex, and Willimantic, attended the ceremonies. After the exercises, the newly instituted lodge and visiting delegations marched to the hotel and partook of a collation furnished by the lodge.
The first officers of Apollo Lodge were: F. E. FOWLER, P. C.; W. K. BACON, C. C.; S. M. BACON, V. C.; John GREENWOOD, P.; Moses HALLAS, M. of e.; w. C. SPENCER, M. of F.; J. B. BACON, K. R. S.; J. C. BROATCH, M. at A.; E. H. WELLS, I. G.; C. C. CHAMBERLAIN, O. G. The other charter members were: F. B. COMSTOCK, E. M. TUTTLE, W. G. MACK, F. B. CLARK, Daniel S. JOHNSON, and W. M. LAFOUNTAIN. The following have been chancellor commanders: W. K. BACON, S. M. BACON, Moses HALLAS, James GLEASON jr., Thomas HEMMING, L. M. WILLARD, R. H. KELSEY, S. O. BARROWS, C. G. BACON, E. R. DAVIS, B. D. PUTNAM, A. H. KELSEY.
In January 1875, the lodge leased a hall in SOUTHMAYD's Block. This hall they occupied until July 1st 1883, when they leased their present quarters in Assurance Building. The present membership is about 125. The lodge has about $2,000 on hand.
Section No. 73, of the Endowment RANK, K. of P., was instituted January 9th 1878, by supreme chancellor DAVIS. The officers and charter members were: G. J. SOUTHMAYD, president; R. H. KELSEY, vice-president; William MAITLAND, chaplain; S. M. BACON, secretary and treasurer; D. MAITLAND, guide; A. GUILD, guard; F. S. SIMONS, sentinel; J. C. LAMB, William HUNTER, D. I., CHAPMAN, J. L. DRAKE, H. A. HULL, F. B. COMSTOCK, F. S. HULL, F. KENNEBECKER, D. P. KING, W. D. SMITH, George MCCRUM, C. C. CHAMBERLIN, W. C. HUSSEY, Thomas HEMING, F. B. CLARK.
MCDONOUGH LODGE, NO. 327, KNIGHTS OF HONOR, was organized July 19th 1876, with eleven charter members, in the parlor of the MCDONOUGH House. The charter members were: William H. FAGAN, H. A. CHAMBERLAIN, John W. BRAY (of Hartford), E. B. SMITH, Joseph W. DOUGLAS, L. C. VINAL (of Providence), Dr. F. L. BURR, E. H. WELLS, Wallace PEASE, A. B. SMITH, and B. O. PRATT. The first officers were: W. H. FAGAN, past dictator; H. A. CHAMBERLAIN, dictator; John W. BRAY, vice-dictator; Edwin B. SMITH, assistant dictator; Joseph W. DOUGLAS, treasurer; L. C. VINAL, financial reported; B. Olney PRATT, guide; Edwin H. WELLS, chaplain; W. PEASE, guardian; Austin B. SMITH, sentinel. The organization is a secret and benevolent one. A weekly benefit of $3 is paid to sick members. A prominent feature is the Widows' and Orphans' Benefit Fund, from which a sum not exceeding $2,000 is paid at the death of a member to his family, the amount being raised by assessment of members. Meetings are held in Assurance Hall on Tuesday evenings. The present officers (1884) are: G. F. PECKHAM, dictator; Seth D. CLARK, vice-dictator; A. B. ROBINSON, assistant dictator; Joseph T. ELLIOTT, reported; James H. KELSEY, financial reported; Joseph W. DOUGLAS, treasurer; H. RAYMOND, chaplain; C. B. LANPHER, guide; Fred. C. GARDINER, guardian; Olin J. CLARK, sentinel; Edward CLARK, past dictator; F. L. BURR, M. D., medical examiner. The lodge numbers about 180 members.
FOREST CITY COUNCIL, No. 3, ORDER OF CHOSEN FRIENDS, was organized at Middletown, Conn., March 2d 1881, with 50 members.
"The Objects of this Order are:
"1st. To unite in bonds of Fraternity, Aid, and Protection, all acceptable white persons of good character, steady habits, sound bodily health, and reputable calling.
"2nd. To improve the condition of its membership, morally, socially, and materially, by timely counsel and instructive lesions, by encouragement in business, by assistance to obtain employment when in need, and by establishing a fund from which a weekly benefit may be paid to sick or distressed members.
"3rd. To establish a relief fund from which members of this organization, who have complied with all its rules and regulations may receive the benefit of a sum not exceeding Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000) who shall be paid as hereafter provided, upon either of the following conditions, viz.:
"1st. When a member reaches the age of seventy-five years.
"2nd. When, by reason of disease or accident, a member becomes permanently disabled from following his usual or other occupation.
3rd. Upon satisfactory evidence of the death of a members."
This order is nation, has a large membership, and is rapidly growing throughout the country, having councils in nearly every State and territory except the yellow fever districts, which are excluded.
The following are the names of the first officers of this council: C. H. BOND, P. C. C.; A D. WRIGHT, C. C.; E. A. GLADWIN, V. C.; J. F. CALEF, recorder; G. E. WOOD, financier; Giles BISHOP, treasurer; F. L. BURR, M. D., J. F. CALEF, M. D., medical examiners; W. H. POLLARD, prelate; Richard LILLEY, marshal; G. H. GRISWOLD, warden; Mrs. E. A. BISHOP, guard; Miss B. FRAM, sentry; Joseph T. ELLIOTT, C. H. BOND, Frederick KELSEY, trustees. The following are the names of the present officers: E. A. GLADWIN, P. C. C.; Frederick KELSEY, C. C.; J. W. BAKER, V. C.; D. T. HAINES, secretary; Joseph T. ELLIOTT, treasurer; F. L. BURR, M. D., J. F. CALEF, M. D., medical examiners; Mrs. E. A. BISHOP, prelate; R. LILLEY, marshall; Mrs. Richard LILLEY, warden; Hubbard B. MANLEY, guard Reuben HUNT, sentry; C. H. BOND, Joseph T. ELLIOTT, George E. BURR, Trustees.
MATTABESSET COUNCIL, NO. 704, ROYAL ARCANUM.-This council was instituted August 31st 1882, with the following charter members: C. H. BOND, J. T. ELLIOTT, E. P. HEDGES, J. H. KELSEY, F. S. HILLS, E. B. SMITH, orator, G. M. PRATT, J. A. TAYLOR, S. M. SOUTHMAYD, O. F. GROVER, H. H. SHERMAN, D. A. CLEVELAND, M. D., J. C. CHAPMAN, J. Peters PELTON, E. S. Davis, W. P. POST, G. H. WELLS, Edward CLARK, and G. Watson LANE. The first officers were: J. T. ELLIOTT, regent; E. S. DAVIS, vice-regent; C. H. BOND, past regent; G. Watson LANE, secretary; J. A. TAYLOR, collector; J. H. KELSEY, treasurer; E. P. HEDGES, chaplain; Edward CLARK, guide; G. H. WELLS, warden; W. P. POST, sentry.
The successive presiding officers from the institution of the council to the present time have been: J. T. ELLIOTT, E. S. DAVIS, E. P. HEDGES.
The present officers are: E. P. HEDGES, regent; H. H. SHERMAN, V. R.; Daniel T. HAINES, orator; E. S. DAVIS, P. R.; G. Watson LANE, secretary; J. A. TAYLOR, collector; J. H. KELSEY, treasurer; F. S. HILLS, chaplain; J. T. ELLIOTT, guide; W. P. POST, warden; A. W. WHITNEY, sentry.
FOREST CITY COUNCIL, NO. 3, KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS.-This society was organized in October 1883, being the third council of the order in this State. The first officers were: James MCCARTHY, G. K.; John H. GRIFFIN, D. G. K.; William J. COLLINS, R. S.; John F. NOLAN, F. S.; Charles FITZGERALD, treasurer; D. J. DONAHOE, advocate; P. V. BURNETT, physician. The present officers are: J. H. GRIFFIN, G. K.; W. J. SPAIN, D. G. K.; A. P. DREEMAN, R. S.; the other officers being the same as at organization. The society numbered, in July 1884, 80 members. It is a mutual aid association, providing for the payment of $1,000 in case of the death of a members, and $5 per week in case of sickness.
HARMONY LODGE, NO. 165, I. O. G. T.-This lodge was instituted March 17th 1873, by Rev. Alpheus WINTER, who was at that time G. W. C. T. of this State. The charter members were Lizzie S. RICE, E. W. STEVENS, S. M. STEVENS, Nellie HARRIS, John D. ROWE, H. E. WEEKS, Ida CROSLEY, A. J. CHATAWAY, Charles SAVAGE, Jenny P. STEVENS, Clara CROSLEY, Robert COCHRANE, Frank HULL, Robert MCKAY, C. D. RICE, William E. BURR, Mary A. BURR, Mary A. ROWE, and Mary E. PATTEN.
The first officers were: J. D. ROWE, W. C. T.; Lizzie S. RICE, W. V. T.; H. E. WEEKS, W. S.; E. W. STEVENS, W. F. S.; Mrs. E. W. STEVENS, W. T.; A. J. CHATAWAY, W. C.; Charles SAVAGE, W. M.; Robert MCKAY, W. G.; Mrs. J. D. ROWE, R. H. S.; Sophia M. STEPHENS, L. H. S.; Mary A. PATTEN, A. S.; Clara CROSLEY, D. M.
The successive chief templars have been: J. D. ROWE, S. O. BARROWS, E. W. STEVENS, L. M. WILLARD, Carlos W. CLARK, J. H. DANIELS, William HOUSTON, John HUTCHINS, Walter B. GARDNER, George PILKINGTON, Augustus KELSEY, L. B. BUTLER, Alva H. KELSEY, Henry A. HULL, John CARPENTER, Gaines SCREEN, A. B. SCRANTON, Mazzina HOWARTH, and frank K. LOVELAND.
The present officers are: S. B. BUTLER, W. C. T.; Mrs. S. B. BUTLER, W. V. T.; George TUTTLE, W. S.; A. B. SCRANTON, W. F. S.; William D. SMITH, W. T.; Oliver W. BIDWELL, W. C.; Newton STANNARD, W. M.
Since the organization of the lodge about 500 persons have been received into membership, and much good work has been accomplished. The lodge is now in a prosperous condition and numbers about 500 active members. Meetings are held weekly on Monday evenings, in Union Hall, South Farms.
CENTENNIAL LODGE, I. O. G. T.-This lodge was instituted February 11th 1876. The charter members were: F. A. Aston, H. C. BEEBE, B. F. KINGSLEY, C. D. GREAVES, Stephen HALL, A. N. PIERSON, Edward SMITH, J. E. NICHOLS, George H. WELLS, J. S. STEWART, W. G. COE, J. G. HEDGES, G. W. MCCORMICK, J. H. SCREEN, C. W. CLARK, W. F. KELSEY, F. P. GREAVES, Rosa EDWARDS, Lena ASTON, Louisa BURNHAM, Addie OLIVER, Mrs. Levi WILSON, Carrie A. CLARK, Carrie A. GREAVES, Louis BADE, Levi WILSON, Sarah E. BURNHAM, and Clark J. CLARK.
The first officers were: Carlos W. CLARK, W. C. T.; Mrs. Clara J. CLARK, W. V. T.; James E. NICHOLS, C.; Sarah E. BURNHAM, S.; W. F. KELSEY, A. S.; Henry C. BEEBE, F. S.; G. W. MCCORMICK, W. T.; Louise BURNHAM, W. M.; J. S. STEWART, D. M.; Carrie A. GREAVES, G.; W. G. COE, O. G.; Lena ASTON, R. H. S.; Carrie A. CLARK, L. H. S.; Levi WILSON, P. W. C. T.; F. A. ASTON, L. D.
The present officers are: F. A. ASTON, W. C. T.; Mary CHALKER. W. V. T.; Mrs. F. A. ASTON, S.; William H. ELY, F. S.; Amelia WILLARD, C.; Mrs. Levi WILSON, M.; Florence SAGE, G.; William BISHOP, S.; Mrs. William BISHOP, R. H. S.; L. M. DANIELS, L. H. S.; --- SAUER, A. S.; Mrs. Frederick SCHMIDT, D. M.; H. C. BEEBE, L. D.
THE MIDDLETOWN REFORM CLUB.-The Middletown Reform Club, an open temperance organization composed of both sexes, was organized in MCDONOUGH Hall, by Dr. REYNOLDS, April 6th 1876, with 121 signatures to the pledge. The following officers were then elected: Albert L. CROOK, president; A. KINMORE1st vice-president; Charles THOMPSON, 2d vice-president; A. WEINGARTNER, 3rd vice-president; Charles W. GALPIN, secretary; B. F. KINGSLEY, financial secretary; E. Burton PRIOR, treasurer; John R. GIBBONS, 1st marshal; James CANTWELL, 2nd marshal; Jacob CRAMER, steward; James STANTON, sergeant-at-arms.
The present officers are: Augustus M. BIDWELL, president; George A. COLES, 1st vice-president; G. T. HUBBARD, 2d vice-president; John W. BAKER, secretary; William H. BISHOP, treasurer; James HOUSTON, 1st marshal; Giles BISHOP, steward.
ST. MARY'S T. A. B. SOCIETY.-The St. Mary's Total Abstinence and Benevolent Society was organized May 18th 1874, with 30 members. At the first meeting the following board of officers was elected: M. B. BUTLER, president; Richard D. HYLAND, vice-president; D. J. DONAHOE, recording secretary; John J. FOOTE, corresponding secretary; John H. GRIFFIN, treasurer; Andrew GRIFFIN, marshal. The successive presiding officers have been: M. B. BUTLER, Charles FITZGERALD, John H. GRIFFIN, James MCCARTHY, Philip J. TORMEY, J. J. DEMPSEY, M. J. KELLEY, Thomas W. O'KEEFE, John SLAVIN, and M. F. O'KEEFE. The present officers are: William J. COLLINS, president; Dennis PHALON, vice-president; T. J. CLUE, recording secretary; Thomas F. DOOLEY, financial secretary; John A. DUNN, assistant secretary; John SLAVIN, treasurer; John T. CARROLL, marshal. The society is in a flourishing condition, and has 80 members in good standing.
MIDDLETOWN BAND OF HOPE.-In the autumn of 1871, about half a dozen boys met in a barn on South Main street, and there held a Band of Hoe meeting. In response to a request from the boys, Prof. Jacob Frederick HUBER, of Wesleyan University, prepared a pledge. The first signers were Frank K. LOVELAND, William D. BRECKENRIDGE, and William H. WHITNEY. The first officers of the bad were: William H. WHITNEY, president; Willie W. WILCOX, secretary; Frank K. LOVELAND, treasurer. During the first year weekly meetings were held, mostly at the house of the superintendent, Mrs. C. D. RICE. After that they were held at the homes of the children, or at the school room of Mrs. E. T. WELLS, for a time, until the children resolved to secure a permanent place for their meetings. A fair was held, from the receipts of which they were enabled to rent the Mission Rooms, where meetings were held every Saturday. Meetings are at present held in the town hall every Saturday afternoon and also on the first Thursday evening of each month. The present officers are: Mrs. C. D. RICE, president; Mrs. Dr. MORGAN, superintendent; Miss Frances A. WARD, librarian; Miss Lizzie Chapin RICE, secretary; Frank D. HAPLEY, treasurer.
EUREKA TEMPLE OF HONOR, NO. 31.-This Temple was instituted November 26th 1880. The charter members and first officers were: Thomas WILLIAMS, W. C. T.; Richard LILLIE, W. V. T.; Frank B. HALE, W. R.; Levi WILSON, W. T.; H. C. BEEBE, W. A. R.; J. D. HALL, W. F. R.; A. M. BIDWELL, W. C.; W. C. BOONE, W. U.; H. F. RAYNOR, W. F. U.; F. KENNEBECKER jr., W. G.; S. C. CULLOM, W. S.; F. H. SAGE, John BRIGHT, C. F. BUSHNELL, George H. GRISWOLD, L. M. WILLARD, William H. BISHOP, Augustus GUILD, S. F. FOWLER, H. S. FUSSELL.
The successive presiding officers have been: John J. COVERY, Richard LILLIE, Fred E. GIBBONS, William A. BENHAM, Hiram H. BEEBE, Arthur D. WELLS.
The present officers are: Arthur D. WELLS, W. C. T.; C. W. RACKLIFFE, W. V. T.; A. H. RUTTY, W. R.; E. D. BUCK, W. A. R.; T. H. THOMPSON, W. F. R.; Alexander PROCTOR, W. T.; Fred S. PADDOCK, W. U.; Wilbur SAY, W. D. U.; John G. HOPKINS, W. C.; Frank MAGEE, W. G.; C. A. SHEPARD, W. S.
The number of members, September 1st 1884, was 65. Meetings are held every Monday evening at 140 Main street.
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION.--This branch of the national organization bearing the above title was instituted in the autumn of 1882. There were at first 22 members. The first president was Miss Mary A. BALDWIN, and a vice-president was chosen from each church. The present officers are: Miss Mary F. BURTON, president; Miss Caroline BACON, secretary; Mrs. Nellie DOUGLAS, treasurer. The membership is now 100 and two vice-presidents are chosen from each church.
MANSFIELD POST, NO. 54, G. A. R.-This Post was organized March 9th 1882, and was named in honor of the gallant General MANSFIELD of this town. The objects of the organization are:
I. "To preserve and strengthen those kind and fraternal feelings which bind together the soldiers, sailors, and mariners who united to suppress the late rebellion and to perpetuate the memory and history of the dead.
II. "To assist such former comrades in arms as need help and protection and to extend needful aid to the widows and orphans of those who have fallen.
III. "To maintain true allegiance to the United States of America based upon a paramount respect for and fidelity to the National Constitution and laws, to discountenance whatever tends to weaken loyalty, incites to insurrection, treason, or rebellion, or in any manner impairs the efficiency and permanency of our free institutions; and to encourage the spead of universal liberty, equal rights, and justice to all men."
The first officers of the Post were: John C. BROATCH, P. C.; George M. SOUTHMAYD, S. V. C.; D. Newland DAVIS, J. V. C.; Rev. H. STEVENS, chaplain; F. W. WHITTLESEY, surgeon; John G. PELTON, O. of D.; Roland B. HILLS, O. of G.; J. Peters PELTON, quartermaster; Joseph J. NOXON, adjutant; F. M. WELLS, O. M. C.; Edward STROUD, sergeant major.
The Post meets at the Assurance Building, every Thursday evening.
The present officers are: J. C. BROATCH, C.; J. G. PELTON, S. V. C.; R. B. HILL, J. V. C.; Edwin STROUD, adjutant; F. E. CAMP, Q. M.; F. D. BREWSTER, chaplain; F. W. WHITTLESEY, surgeon; e. BYWATER, O. D.; Charles E. POLLARD, O. G.; S. M. JOHNSON, sergeant major; D. N. DAVIS, Q. M. S.; Joseph Daniels, drum major; Joseph C. HETZEL, fife major.
MIDDLETOWN SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATION.-This society was organized in 1871. The original members were: Professors J. JOHNSTON, J. M. VAN VLECK, J. C. VAN BENSCHOTEN, William North RICE, C. T. WINCHESTER, and G. Brown GOODE; Rev. F. GARDINER, Hon. R. G. PIKE, Dr. A. M. SHEW, Rev. Henry E. SAWYER, and Henry D. A. WARD. Of these, Prof. GOODE was particularly active in the formation of the society.
The object of this association is the promotion of scientific knowledge among its members, and the encouragement of others in scientific investigations. To accomplish this the association holds monthly meetings, except during the summer months. At these meetings original papers on scientific subjects are presented, scientific matters are discussed, résumés of the progress made in the different departments of science are given, and lectures by eminent scientists are delivered.
Two or more "field days" in each year are devoted to investigations by the members in such departments of science as may be best observed in the field, such as geology, mineralogy, botany, etc.
There have been one hundred and thirty five different members of this association, and there are at present fifty-five active members, and forty-three non-resident members. The presidents of the society have been (in chronological order) Prof. John JOHNSTON, Rev. Frederic GARDINER, D. D., Prof. John M. VAN VLECK, and Prof. William North RICE.
THE CONVERSATIONAL CUB.-This is a private association, composed chiefly of the literati and professional men of Middletown. It was organized on the evening of November 11th 1862, at the house of Rev. Joseph CUMMINGS, D. D., and its purpose is the discussion of any questions interesting to its members. The name was adopted December 28th 1862. There have been upwards of a hundred members elected to date. The number, at any one time, is limited to twenty-five.
THE CENTURY CLUB, a social organization, was organized in 1876, and in 1878 was incorporated under the general law of the State. It numbers among its members many of the leading residents of the city. Its first officers were: Joseph W. ALSOP, president; Joseph W. DOUGLAS, vice-president; Frank C. SMITH, secretary; Frank B. WEEKS, treasurer. The present officers are: Joseph W. DOUGLAS, president; D. Ward NORTHROP, vice-president; James P. STOW, secretary and treasurer. The society numbers about 35 members.
PHILOLOGICAL CLUB.-The Philological Club of Wesleyan University was the outgrowth of a desire on the part of the instructors in language and literature in the college for form an association for the promotion of investigation in their allied provinces, and interchange of views thereupon. Organization was affected on January 22d 1881. The present active membership of the club is about twenty, and is made up entirely of instructors in the college, and undergraduates in elective classes in language and literature. Regular meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday evening of each month in the college year, at which articles prepared in accordance with a program previously arranged are read, and reviews of progress in philology and archæology, and of recent publications in those departments are presented. During its brief existence the club has been of considerable efficiency, and will undoubtedly prove a permanent organization.
BIBLE SOCIETY.-On the 4th day of November, 1818, the "Bible Society of Middletown and its vicinity," auxiliary to the American Bible Society, was organized. Nehemiah HUBBARD, Esq., was chosen president, and Hon. Titus HOSMER, Thomas MCDONOUGH, Elisha HART, Joseph HILL, Epaphroditus CHAMPION, Daniel PARMELEE, and Jonathan HUNTINGTON, vice-presidents. A code of by laws was adopted which provided, among other things, for the encouragement of the formation of branch societies in other towns and societies.
The records show that the society was reorganized in 1829, with Nehemiah HUBBARD, president, and Joseph W. ALSOP, Rev. David SMITH, Rev. John B. CRANE, and Chauncey WHITTLESEY, vice-presidents.
From time to time explorations of the territory within the sphere of this society's operations have been made by agents or committees of visitation. The destitute have been sought out and supplied with the Scriptures, Bibles have been distributed in hotels, hospitals, almshouses, and other places where it was believed they might come under the observation of those who might not otherwise have facilities for their study. Money has been liberally contributed to aid in carrying on the work of the present society, and, in a quiet, unostentatious way, the society has steadfastly sought to accomplish its benevolent purposes.
The following have been the successors of the first president of the society: Jonathan BARNES, elected 1836; Richard HUBBARD, 1838; Richard RAND, 1840; Hon. Samuel D. HUBBARD, 1844; Dr. A. W. SMITH, 1854; and Hon. Benjamin DOUGLAS, who has served from 1858 to the present time.
THE FRIENDLY SOCIETY.-The following extracts from its records, give the only history that can now be obtained of this society:
"We, the subscribers, mutually promise and agree to, and with each other, for the purposes of promoting sociability, good humour, and innocent cheerfulness to form and incorporate ourselves into a Society or Body and to facilitate the attainment of those desirable ends, we do in full meeting and upon mature deliberation enact and ordain the following regulations or laws, subject to such addition, alteration or amendment, as this society shall judge most conducive to the end and design of its institution.
"Vote 1.-That the name of which this body will incorporate and stile themselves is and shall be, the Friendly Society.
"Vote 2.-That this society will convene and meet on Thursday evening weekly at Mr. Timothy BIGELOW's Tavern in Middletown, at 7 o'c'k and depart decently at 9 o'clock, P. M.
"Vote 3.-That the sum that each individual of this society shall expend on each convention evening, shall not exceed two shillings and six pence lawful money.
"Vote 4.-That each member of this society shall pay four pence lawful money every four weeks unto the treasurer of this Society for the purpose of raising a fund to be appropriated to such charitable use, as this Society shall direct.
"Vote 5.-That when any person shall apply for admission as a member into this society a sixth part of the members then present voting against his admission, shall be sufficient to exclude him.
"Vote 6.-That the sentiments of this society relative to any matter about which they shall vote shall be by ballot.
"Vote 7.-That each member of this Society shall have liberty to introduce his friends, when they may happen in town, provided they pay their club or proportionable part of the expenses of the entertainment, that shall be provided when they are present.
"Vote 8.-That for the future when any person shall be admitted as a member of this society, he shall on his admission advance and pay to the Treasurer his proportionable part of the fund or stock that shall then be collected, and undisposed of by this Society.
"Vote 9.-That Capt. Samuel WILLIS, Jun'r, be President of this Society from Thursday the third day of March for 4 weeks then next ensuing.
"Vote 10.-That Nath'l SHALER be appointed Vice-President of this Society.
"Vote 11.-That Willard WRIGHT be Treasurer of this Society.
"Vote 12.-That whatever shall be said or transacted in meeting by this Body, shall not be mentioned out of it, to the prejudice or injury of this Society, or any member of it, & we do hereby solemnly engage and promise of our honors, punctually to observe this vote.
"Feb'y 24, 1774."
"At a meeting the 21st April 1774.
"Voted That the hours the members meet to begin at 8 o'clock P. M. & to break up at 10 during the summer.
"At the above meeting
"Voted That any person proposed by his friend for admittance, shall be proposed one night and stand over to the next night for a ballot for admission.
"Voted That this Society shall have liberty to animadvert on the behavior or conduct of any member of it, which may indicate or manifest any contempt or neglect of the same whether by neglecting or refusing to attend at the meetings of this Society, or for any other cause, or by any conduct which may evince that he is influenced by motives and principles inimical to this Society, and repugnant to its interests and that this society shall have power and authority to suspend, admonish and expel any member of the same, as the demerits of his case may demand and require.
"June 16 1774."
1774, June 16 Nathaniel SHALER elected President. " " " Return Jonath'n MEIGS Vice-President. July 7 Charles WHITING elected Secretary. "The above officers retained during the time of the records now extant. Dec. 29 Voted That the Society meet once a fortnight on Wednesday evening at the usual hour and the usual place.
"The last record dated Feb'y 23, 1775.
Samuel WILLIS jr., admitted Feby’ 24, 1774
Arthur MAGILL, “ Feby’ 24, 1774
Nathaniel SHALER, “ Feby’ 24, 1774
Charles WHITING, “ Feby’ 24, 1774
Willard WRIGHT, “ Feby’ 24, 1774
Samuel BULL, “ Feby’ 24, 1774
John SCOTT, “ March 3, 1774.
Jabez HAMLIN Jr., “ March 3, 1774.
Wm. HENDERSON, “ March 3, 1774.
George PHILLIPS Jr., “ March 10, 1774.
John OSBORNE, “ March 17, 1774
Giles SAGE, “ March 24, “1774
Jeremiah WADSWORTH, “ April 7, 1774
Return J. MEIGS, “ May 12, 1774
Amos BULL, “ May 19, 1774
Samuel B. WEBB, “ 26, 1774
Joseph KING, “ June 23, 1774
Wm. BULL, “ June 30, 1774
Elisha CLARK, “ July 7, 1774
Isaac WILLIAMS, “ Aug’t 11, 1774
George STARR, “ Dec’r 15, 1774
Joseph SMITH “ Feb’y 8, 1775.”
CONNECTICUT HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE.