The History of Middlesex County 1635-1885
J. H. Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, New York

Pages 61-173
Part II

[transcribed by Janece Streig]


Early in the campaign of 1777, the State of Connecticut was invaded, and during this year the services of her sons were required in other States. The following from the town records will give something of an idea of what was done here to supply men for the ranks of the Continental army, in addition to the services that the militia rendered from time to time:

"April 14th 1777.00Voted that this town will & do promise and engage to such of the inhabitants thereof, who have enlisted or shall enlist into any of the Continental battalions of infantry, raising in this State, for the term of three years or during the war, that they will take care that their families in their absence, shall be supplied with all necessaries of life, as they may stand in need of at the prices limited by law, they leaving or remitting monies to a Com'ee of supply, to be appointed for that purpose, and in case any person or persons who are unable to advance or remit a sufficient sum to support his family shall enlist they promise and engage that the deficiency shall be made up by the town, so that his family shall not suffer by his absence, and that no other or higher expense or price shall be charged to such soldiers, than the prices of the necessaries supplied as limited by law as aforesaid, and Chauncey WHITLESEY Elihu STARR, Thomas ALLIN, Seth WETMORE, Jr., Capt. Stephen JOHNSON, Capt. Ebenezer JOHNSON Daniel WHITMORE, Lieut. David TRYON, Dea'n John Earl HUBBARD, Francis CLARK, Comfort BUTLER, Joshua PLUM Timothy GIPSON Israel KELSEY Daniel WILCOX, John KIRBY, John WILCOX, John HIGBY, Dea'n Ebenezer BACON & Capt. David COE are appointed a Com'ee on behalf of the town to see that the aforesaid premises & engagement be duly kept & performed, and to receive and lay out the monies, that may be advanced or remitted for the purposes therein expressed; said Com'ee men on receipt of any sum or sums of money to give duplicate receipts for the same, one of which to be given to the soldier who shall advance such sum, & the other to be lodged in the hands of the Selectmen of the town for the time being, & each of said Com'ee men to account with said Selectmen for the expenditure of such sums, when thereto required.

"The town took into consideration the absolute necessity, of immediately furnishing their quota of the Continental army, to be raised in this State & having considered of the best method to effect the same, voted & resolved, that a Com'ee be appointed to consist of two persons ought of each school district in the town plot, & one person out of each of the other school districts in the several societies in this town and that said Com'ee be instructed & impowered.

"1st, to obtain an exact account of the numbers of non commissioned officers and private soldiers inhabitants of this town, who have enlisted into any of the continental battalions of infantry raising in this State, and deducting the same from one hundred and fifty eight, our quota ascertain the number yet to be raised.

"2ndly. To obtain and take an exact account of all male persons of the age of sixteen years or upwards in their respective districts, soldiers who have engaged in said service only excepted.

"3dly. That they ascertain the proportion of our quota yet to be raised, to each of said districts, agreeable to the number of male persons of the age of sixteen years or upwards, such districts shall be found to contain, ministers of the gospel only excepted.

"4thly. That when the proportion of each district is ascertained as aforesaid, that they divide the males of sixteen years & upwards in each district into as many distinct & equal classes, as the number of soldiers to be raised in such district, for their proportion shall amount to, taking care that the old men, middle aged & young men, rich & poor men be distributed into each of the said classes equally as may be, & notify the same accordingly.

"5thly. that it shall be the duty of each of said classes, immediately to procure one soldier to enlist, into some of the continental battalions aforesaid.

"6thly. That such of said Com'ee as live in the respective societies in this town, do call the classes in such society to meet at some suitable time and place, to procure such soldiers as aforesaid and that upon such notice, said classes do meet for that purpose.

"And it is further voted & agreed in case any detachment of men shall be ordered to be made, to complete our deficiency of the continental army, that we will use our endeavors that those classes who shall furnish their soldiers as aforesaid, shall be freed from such detachment, and that a suitable person shall be detached from each of those classes who neglect or refuse to furnish such soldiers which there can be no reason to doubt will be attended to by the military officers, entrusted to make such detachments. And that Capt. Philip MORTIMER Titus HOSMER Esqr. Joseph CLARK, Capt. Thos. GOODWIN, Lieut. Hugh WHITE, Capt. Saml. SAVAGE Ozias WILCOX, Thomas KIRBY, Capt. Roger RILEY Samuel PORTER Joseph GRAVES Zaccheus HIGBY Josiah BACON Joel ADKINS, Daniel HALL Nehemiah HUBBARD, Hezekiah HALE, Capt. David MILLER Capt. Jabez BROOKS, Elijah JOHNSON Ensign John ROGERS, Lieut. David TRYON Ensign Oliver HUBBARD, & Joseph JOHNSON shall be said Com'ee.

Among the families in Middletown that received aid were those of Colonels RETURN, Jonathan MEIGS, John SUMNER, and Jonathan JOHNSON; Captains Robert WARNER, Edward EELLS, Abijah SAVAGE, David STARR, and William SIZER; Lieutenants William HENSHAW, Hezekiah HUBBARD, John HUBBARD, and Othniel CLARK. Probably all these were in the Continental service, certainly many of them were; but how many officers and men from this town ere in the Continental army is not possible now to learn. Field says:

"First or last, all that could, in some capacity, took part in the long contest. Continental soldiers went where they were commanded. Militia men by regular drafts and orders, or on the report of danger, flew to the places where the enemy came, or was apprehended. Old men, exempted by age from service, showed a disposition to do what they could. About sixty here formed themselves into a company, to learn more of the military art, with a determination to preserve the liberty of their country. They marched in these streets. The drummer of the company was over eighty, and was as much engaged and alert as in his younger days. Lads sympathized and imitated. Mothers, wives, daughters, and sisters, while laboring more in the house for the comfort of those gone to the camp, entered themselves into the field and did the work of men."

Many of the records of what was done by the people of Middletown during the Revolutionary war are lost-others are scattered and cannot now be collected, and the participants in that war, as well as their immediate descendants, have passed away. The names of only a few of them remain, and of these the materials for sketches of only a few of the most prominent exist.

Return Jonathan MEIGS was, as before stated, made captain of a company of light infantry that was formed here in 1774, and, after the battle of Lexington, in April, 1775, went, with his company, to Boston. He was a native of this town, though his parents were from Guilford. He was made a major in 1775, and in that capacity accompanied ARNOLD on the expedition against the city of Quebec. Abijah SAVAGE, of the Upper Houses, who was then an officer, and who afterward became a captain in the Continental Army, was with him, as probably were others from Middletown and Chatham. Great suffering was experienced on this perilous march of 63 days, of which Major MEIGS wrote the best account that has been given. When the assault on the city was made, the New England men fought bravely, and Major MEIGS with a batallion entered within the walls, but was made a prisoner. He was exchanged in 1777, was appointed a lieutenant colonel, and authorized to raise a regiment. When he had partly raised it, he marched to New Haven, and was designated by General Parsons to execute a project he had formed for the surprise and capture of a body of the enemy at Sag Harbor, L. I. On the 23d of May he crossed the Sound with 170 men in whale boats, marched three miles, surprised the enemy, took possession of the wharves and vessels, destroyed twelve brigs and sloops with a large amount of forage and provisions, killed six men, took ninety prisoners, and returned without the loss of a man, having gone, by land and water, ninety miles and accomplished all this in twenty-five hours. For this exploit Congress complimented the officers and men of the expedition, and presented Colonel MEIGS an elegant sword. Probably many from Middletown took part in this expedition.

At the storming of Stony Point by the forces under General Wayne, Colonel MEIGS commanded one of the assaulting regiments, and here probably many men from Middletown were present. It is known that John STRONG from Middle Haddam was there.

Colonel MEIGS returned to Middletown after the conclusion of the war and remained till 1787, when he went, with other early emigrants, to Marietta, Ohio. No government had then been established in that territory, and Colonel MEIGS drew up a system of regulations which the immigrants adopted. The bark was removed from a large oak, that stood at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers, and these regulations were attached to this tree where they could be consulted by the settlers.

During the latter part of his life Colonel MEIGS was an Indian agent among the Cherokees, who named him "The White Path." While in the discharge of his functions he died, January 28th 1823, in the 83d year of his age.

Gules MEIGS, a brother of Colonel R. J., lived and died in this town. In the Revolution he was a captain of militia, and went with his company to New London.

John MEIGS, another brother, volunteered at the beginning of the Revolution, and served through the war. He was an adjutant in the regiment of colonel WEBB, and for a time was acting brigade major. He was commissioned a lieutenant, and soon afterward a captain. During a part of the war he was stationed in Rhode Island, and for two or three years he was in the neighborhood of the Highlands. He removed to Hartford in 1797, and died there in 1826, aged 73 years.

Josiah MEIGS, also a brother of Return Jonathan, graduated from Yale College, and was a tutor in that institution. He afterward became a lawyer and practiced in Bermuda. Subsequently he was for many years professor of mathematics and natural philosophy in Yale College; then in succession, president of the University of Georgia, and surveyor general of the United States. He was finally placed at the head of the United States Land Office, at Washington, and there he died in 1822, at the age of 65.

General Samuel Holden PARSONS, the son of Rev. Jonathan PARSONS, was born at Lyme in 1837. He graduated at Harvard College in 1756, then became a law student with his maternal uncle, Hon. Matthew GRISWOLD, afterward governor of Connecticut. He practiced his profession in his native town, which he represented in the Legislature for ten or twelve consecutive years. He was appointed King's attorney for New London county, and in 1774 removed to the town of New London. At the opening of the Revolution he resigned his position as King's attor4ney, and cast his lot with the rebellious colonists. In 1775 he was made a colonel, and marched his regiment to Roxbury, where he remained till the enemy evacuated Boston.

In 1776 he was appointed a brigadier-general, and was in the battle of Long Island, which was fought in August of that year. In the course of the war he was engaged in many military affairs under Generals WASHINGTON and PUTNAM, in the vicinity of New York, along the Hudson River, and in western Connecticut; and in all these he displayed military ability and courage.

He was one of the board of officers that was convened for the trial of ANDRÉ in 1780, and he became a major general about that time. In 1781 he made a successful attack on the British troops in Morrisania, for which congress directed the commander-in-chief to convey to him their thanks.

In the latter part of 1781, he was, by the request of the governor and council of Safety of Connecticut, placed in command of the troops and coast guards of that State.

After the war General PARSONS engaged in the practice of his profession in Middletown. He became a member of the Legislature, and was the most active of any in the measures for the formation of Middlesex county. He went to Ohio in 1785, and in January, 1786, he was one of the three commissioners who made, with the Indians near the mouth of the Great Miami River, a treaty whereby the United States acquired a large and valuable tract of country. He returned to Middletown, and in 1787 he was appointed, by Congress, first judge in the territory northwest of the Ohio River, but prior to entering on the duties of this office he participated in the convention of this State which, in January 1788, ratified the constitution of the United States. In 1789 he went to the Western Reserve to arrange for a treaty with the Indians who claimed lands there. He did not have part in that treaty, however, for in descending the rapids of Great Beaver Creek, November 7th 1789, he was drowned. He had reached the age of 52.

Nehemiah HUBBARD was a descendant of George HUBBARD, one of the earliest settlers of Middletown, and was born in April 1853 [?]. At the age of 14 he became a clerk in the store of Colonel Matthew TALCOTT, and continued till the age of 21, after which he made several mercantile trips to the West Indies.

On the breaking out of the Revolution he entered the army, and in May 1776, was appointed, by Governor TRUMBULL, a paymaster.

In May 1777, he was appointed, by General GREENE, deputy quartermaster general for the State of Connecticut, which post he filled till after the resignation of General GREENE as quartermaster general of the army. He was afterward in the quartermaster's department with WADSWORTH and CARTER, who supplied the French army, and was present with that army at the siege of Yorktown and the surrender of Cornwallis.

In this department of the service he was one of the most efficient officers in the army, and he acquired the confidence of all with whom he was associated.

After the termination of the Revolution he became a merchant in Middletown, where he remained till his death. He was president of the Middletown Bank from 1808 till 1822, and was also president of the Savings Bank from its organization till his death.

In person, Mr. HUBBARD was tall and commanding. He was a man of unbending integrity, of quick and discriminating judgment, and of a noble, frank deportment. He died February 6th 1837, aged 85 years.

Matthew TALCOTT became a merchant in Middletown about 1750. He was a colonel in the militia, and was a warm supporter of the Revolutionary cause. After the organization of Middlesex county, he was appointed a justice of the quorum, and afterward judge of the County Court. He died August 29th 1802, at the age of 89.

Chauncey WHITTLESEY was educated at Yale College, and became a minister; but relinquished the clerical profession and became a merchant. In 1776, he was one of the committee "to procure and purchase such articles of refreshment and clothing as should be directed by the governor and his council of safety," and he was efficient in the discharge of the duties of that position. He was collector of customs for the port of Middletown from December 1797 till August 1801. He died in March 1812, at the age of 65.

Elijah HUBBARD was, in May 1777, appointed "commissary and superintendent of the stores provided by the State for the continental troops." He discharged his duties well, and enjoyed the confidence of his superiors. He was a magistrate, and for the last six years of his life a justice of the quorum. He was a member of the General Assembly in more than thirty sessions, and while in attendance on a session of that body, May 30th 1808, he died, at the age of 62.

John PRATT was a native of Hartford. He entered the Revolutionary army at the commencement of the war, and rose to the rank of a captain. He was in the service till the close of the Revolution, and in the Indian war, which raged afterward in Ohio, where he served under Generals St. CLAIR and WAYNE. He resigned in the latter part of 1793, and soon afterward settled in Middletown. He became a magistrate and was many times chosen a representative in the Legislature. He served in the sessions of May 1806; October 1806; May 1807; October 1807; May 1808; May 1809, and October 1809. He died December 27th 1824, aged 71.

Revolutionary Soldiers.-1777, Capt. Elijah BLACKMAN, Gideon CRUTTENDEN, John HANIS, John FOSTER, David HULL, Comfort MARKS, William GRAVES, Moses BOARDMAN, Capt. Robert WARNER, Joseph LUNG, David JOHNSON, Butler GILBERT, Joseph HARRIS, Capt. Edward EELLS, Capt. Abijah SAVAGE, John ROBINSON, Joseph DEWEY, William BROWN, Thomas POWERS, Ariel PECK, Roswell HUBBARD, Joseph CONE, Daniel CONE, William HENSHAW, Lieut. Hezekiah HUBBARD, Thomas BARNES, Ensign Othniel CLARK, Ozias CONE, Lieut. Jonathan HUBBARD; 1778, Samuel A. BOARDMAN, George ANGER, Jonathan SIZER, Ebenezer WILLIS, William MATTHEWS, Jacob GILSON, James FRANCIS; 1779, Col. Return Jonathan MEIGS, Col. John SUMNER, Col. Jonathan JOHNSON, David HULL, Abraham T. KIMBALL, Joseph WILLIS jr.; 1780, Stephen SAVAGE, John SWIFT, Capt. William SIZER, David ROBERTS jr.; 1781, Lieut. John MEIGS; 1782, Ensign George COTTON, Allen GILBERT jr., Abijah HUBBARD, Jonathan TAYLOR.


The news of the bombardment of Fort Sumter was the cause of great excitement in Middletown, as in other towns throughout the loyal North, and called forth demonstrations of loyalty and patriotism from all classes. The Mansfield Guards displayed the United States flag over their armory, and at once commenced filling their ranks with recruits. The artillery company also raised the national flag, and began the enrolment of new members, so as to be prepared for effective service when necessary. Flags were also displayed on the college grounds and from the residences of prominent citizens, including the newly elected Lieutenant-Governor DOUGLAS.

On the 20th of April a large and enthusiastic mass-meeting was held, at which patriotic resolutions were adopted, the enrolment of volunteers, which had already commenced, was continued, and stirring speeches were made.

The following is taken from the city records:

"At a special meeting of the Common Council held the 21st of April 1861, Alderman HACKSTAFF, in behalf of the 'Savage Revolving Fire Arms Company,' offered to furnish the volunteer Co. now organizing, with thirty two of pistols, provided the balance (45) necessary to furnish each member be purchased of them.

"Voted: That the thanks of the Board be presented to the 'Savage Revolving Fire Arms Co.' for their handsome and liberal donation, and that the city be solicited to purchase the 45 in addition to make up the complement.

"Voted: That Councilman DART be authorized to purchase the requisite number of belts for said pistols."

"Voted: That this board recommend to the Selectmen of this town to call a Town Meeting, for the purpose of rendering aid to the volunteers and their families."

At a special meeting of the freemen of the city held May 25th 1861, it was

"Voted: that the Common Council be authorized to pay a bill of the 'Savage Fire Arms Co.' for $900 on account of forty five pistols furnished Company A. 2d Regt. Conn. Volunteers.

"Voted: That the Common Council be instructed to purchase six pistols for the use of the commission officer of Companies 'G.' and 'H.' 4th Regt. Conn. Volunteers."

On the 24th a full company of volunteers from this city and town, the Mansfield Guards, under Captain David DICKERSON, took their departure amid the same enthusiastic demonstrations of loyalty that were exhibited on the departure of the first troops from other towns throughout the country.*(Previous to their departure, A. M. COLEGROVE, of Middletown invited them to supply themselves freely from his stock of under clothing, and during the whole of Saturday and Sunday the ladies in the city worked on their uniforms.) This company proceeded by rail to New Haven, where, with the other companies of the Second Regiment, they were quartered for some time before they left for Washington.

A special Town Meeting was called, the record of which is here given.

"A special Town Meeting was held at the Town Hall on Saturday, April 27, 1861, pursuant to legal notice, when & where the following resolutions were offered for the consideration of the meeting & after discussions were adopted, viz.

"Voted. That the sum of ten thousand dollars be, & the same is hereby appropriated for the purpose of equipping & uniforming the military companies formed & to be formed in this town, under the proclamation of the governor of this State, pursuant to the requisition of the President of the United States; also for the purpose of rendering assistance to the families of those who have or may hereafter volunteer in said companies, during their absence from home, and that the Selectmen o this town are hereby authorized, empowered & instructed to borrow on the credit of this Town from time to time, such sums of money as they may deem necessary for the aforesaid purposes, not to exceed in the whole the sum of ten thousand dollars.

"Voted, That Benjamin DOUGLAS, Rev. J. L. DUDLEY, Rev. F. J. GOODWIN, M. H. GRIFFIN, Wm. G. HACKSTAFF, Charles C. HUBBARD, Rev. James LYNCH, Rev. Jeremiah TAYLOR, Waldo P. VINAL, & Rev. George WOODRUFF be, and they are hereby appointed a Committee to be known as the "Aid Committee," who shall have power to supply the volunteers in the Military Companies raised & to be raised in this town, with equipments & uniforms, & to furnish their families with all necessary pecuniary assistance during their absence from home & a majority of said Committee are hereby authorized to draw orders on the Treasurer of this Town from time to time, for such sum or sums of money, as they shall require for the aforesaid purposes, and it shall be the duty of the Town Treasurer to accept said orders, & pay the same from any monies appropriated for that purpose."

On the 9th of May the Mansfield Guards, with the other companies of the 2d regiment, embarked for Washington. On that day they were presented with the pistols voted to them by the city authorities.

On the 16th the Wesleyan Guards, Captain Robert G. WILLIAMS, and the Union Guard, Captain Augustus C. CLARK, left for the rendezvous of their regiment (the 4th Connecticut), at Hartford. These companies, with their regiments, left Hartford for the seat of war, on the 10th of Jun e1861. To the officers were presented the revolvers voted to them by the city council.

Within two months from the commencement of hostilities the patriotic ladies of Middletown organized an aid society, and began their benevolent work of supplying the soldiers in the field with such articles of comfort and such luxuries ad the government was not able to furnish. This work was continued through the war, and many a poor soldier, as he languished on his cot in some distant hospital, "with no hand of kindred to smooth his lone pillow," had reason to bless his unknown benefactress in Middletown for comforts which, but for her, he would not have enjoyed.

The spirit of the people here was shown on the receipt of the news of the battle of Bull Run and the defeat of the Union forces. Lieutenant Governor DOUGLAS at once put in circulation a paper for the organization of a company to proceed to Washington at 24 hours' notice, and to serve for 30 days. He signed the paper himself, and obtained a hundred other signatures.

The reverses then experienced by the Union forces aroused anew the patriotic feeling of the people. At a meeting of the council, July 15th, several prominent citizens offered $100 each toward a fund of $10,000 for the raising of recruits. On the 24th a mass-meeting was held at which the enthusiasm reached a higher pitch than ever before, and at a town meeting on the 26th the sum of $100 was voted as a bounty "to each and every volunteer to the number of one hundred and twenty-five men, provided they enlist on or before the 25th of August." The legality of this being questioned, another meeting was held, July 30th, which ratified and confirmed the action of the previous meeting.

On the 20th of August a bounty of $100 was voted

"To each volunteer for 3 years provided that each and every enlistment be credited to the town's quota, & that the person enlisting has not and shall not receive bounties from other towns."

On the 6th of September 1862, $150 bounty was voted

"To each and every volunteer for 9 months enlisting prior to 10 o'ck P. M. Sep'r 9, provided such person be credited to the town's quota & that the name of each be returned to the Selectmen prior to the time specified above, & that this bounty be in lieu of all other bounties voted or appropriated."

In the month of September a camp for the nine months' volunteers was established at Fort Hill, just south from the city. This was the rendezvous of the 24th Regiment, Colonel Samuel H. MANSFIELD. Here the companies remained from the time of their arrival till November 18th, when they left their camp for the seat of war.

In September a draft took place here under the direction of the selectmen. Ninety-six were drafted, but only thirty-nine were retained, and of these, twenty procured substitutes.

At a town meeting on the 20th of this month it was

"Voted That the Selectmen be a Com'ee to see that the families of all drafted men from this town, be well provided for at their discretion.

"Voted That the Selectmen be authorized to pay all Volunteers from this town, for nine months service, the sum of fifty dollars, on account of bounties heretofore granted, on the presentation of the certificate of the Surgeon of the Military Post that they have duly passed the necessary examination & the Certificate of the Commanding Office of the Post, that they have taken the prescribed oath."

At the battle of Antietam, on the 17th of September 1862, General Mansfield, of this town, was killed.

At a special meeting of the Common Council "called to take action in relation to the death of J. K. F. MANSFIELD, it was

"Voted: That the following gentlemen be appointed a committee to proceed to New York, and escort the remains of General MANSFIELD to this city, viz., Hon. E. JACKSON, His Hon. The Mayor, Alderman HACKSTAFF, and Henry G. HUBBARD, Esq.

"Voted: That Messrs. BENT, DOUGLAS, G. T. HUBBARD, RUSSELL, CAMP, S. C. HUBBARD, and E. W. N. STARR be a committee with power to make all necessary and proper arrangements for the funeral of General MANSFIELD."

His funeral took place here on the 24th. He was buried with the military honors to which his rank was entitled, and the solemn occasion attracted a large concourse of people from all parts of the country. Curiosity to witness a military funeral drew hither a few on that occasion, but a desire to honor the memory of one of the country's martyrs, and one of the State's most highly esteemed citizens was the prevailing feeling.

Another draft of men from Middletown town and city, Middlefield, and Durham took place at New Haven on the 29th of August 1863.

Two hundred and forty-seven were drafted, and those who were accepted, or their substitutes, were distributed among the different regiments of the State.

Still another draft for Middletown occurred at New Haven on the 19th of September 1864. The deficiency to be filled was forty.

Probably no better account of the action of the town during the latter portion of the war can be given than the extracts from the town records which are here quoted:

"Oct'r 20, 1862. Voted. That a bounty of $150 be paid by this Town to each Volunteer who shall enlist and be accepted to fill the quota of this State, assigned to this town by the Adjutant General, under the late call of the Governor for 800 more volunteers for the nine months service; & that the Selectmen of this Town be authorized & empowered to borrow a sufficient sum of money on the credit of the town, to meet all obligations assumed or to be assumed on account of the payment of sd Bounties."

"Feb'y 28, 1863. Voted, That Messrs. Benjamin DOUGLAS, Edwin STEARNS, Alfred HUBBARD & Horace D. HALL be a Committee to take into consideration the matter of issuing Town Bonds, to the amount of the indebtedness incurred by the town in aid of the War."

"August 26, 1863. The following votes were then adopted nearly unanimously, viz.,

"Voted, That a sum not exceeding forty thousand dollars be, & the same is hereby appropriated for the purpose of carrying into effect the following votes.

"Voted, That Benjamin W. COE, Samuel BABCOCK, Origen UTLEY & Alfred HUBBARD, are hereby appointed a Com'ee to draw orders upon the Treasurer of the Town, in favor of such persons, residents, and legal inhabitants of this town, in sums not exceeding three hundred dollars to each such person, as may be drafted and liable to service from this town, under the present act of Congress, and the draft at present ordering and pending; provided in the opinion of said Committee, the said person so drafted require his pecuniary assistance for the support of their families or those dependent upon them.

"Voted, That the Town Treasurer be, & he is hereby authorized and directed to borrow such portion of such sum of forty thousand dollars, as may be necessary to carry out the preceding vote & other votes passed at this meeting.

"Voted that all orders drawn & signed by said Com'ee and accepted by the Treasurer be a valid binding & legal obligation of said Town, & that the Treasurer be & hereby is empowered & directed to pay said orders upon presentment."

"Decr 5, 1863. Voted, That three thousand dollars be appropriated & placed in the hands of the Selectmen, to be expended at their discretion in obtaining Volunteers to fill the quota of this Town."

"Dec'r 29, 1863. Voted, That Samuel C. HUBBARD & Anthony THATCHER, in conjunction with the Selectmen, be a Committee, to expend, not exceeding $12,000, (including the amount appropriated Decr. 5, inst.) for the purpose of procuring men to fill the Quota of this town under the late call of the President."

"Jan'y 2nd 1864. The Selectmen made report that an Injunction issued by the Judge of the Superior Court, had been served upon them requiring them to suspend any action on the Vote passed in town meeting Decr. 29 inst, appropriating money to raise the town's Quota."

"Jany' 18, 1864. Voted, That this meeting hereby confirm the votes passed at a special town meeting held at the Town Hall in this town on the 26th day of August, 1863, relative to appropriating moneys &c. for the relief of drafted men and their families."

"July 30, 1864. Voted, That the town of Middletown pay to each individual who shall Volunteer under the recent call of the President of the United States for five hundred thousand men to enter the army or navy of the United States, in pursuance of an Act of Congress authorizing the same & to each person who has or shall furnish a substitute under said Act, the following sums, to wit,

"To each person who has or shall volunteer or who shall be drafted or furnish a substitute for one year the sum of one hundred dollars. Two hundred dollars for two years, & Three hundred dollars for three years or the war, provided said drafted man or volunteer or substitute shall apply upon the quota of men under said call assessed to, or to be furnished by said town of Middletown.

"Voted, That in addition to the above bounties, the town of Middletown pay the sum of twenty-five dollars to any person who shall furnish an acceptable volunteer or substitute to apply upon said quota of the town under said call.

"Voted, That the sum of fifty thousand dollars be & the same is hereby appropriated to defray the expenses of the foregoing Votes, and that the Selectmen of the town be authorized to borrow such portions of the same as may be needed to carry out the object of said Votes, & that the Selectmen be directed to draw all necessary & proper orders on the Treasury to effect the objects & purposes of the foregoing Votes, & that the Treasurer be instructed to pay the same."

"August 13, 1864. Voted, That Messrs. Benjamin DOUGLAS, N. V. FAGAN & Edwin SCOVILL be added to the Com'ee of Selectmen for the purpose of aiding them in procuring the funds necessary in aid of volunteers, drafted men, or substitutes on the quota of this town.

"Voted. That none of the bounties voted at the meeting of which this is an adjournment, shall be paid to persons who have volunteered or furnished substitutes, prior to said call of the President, or to any person who shall have furnished a substitute for three years, at an expense of less than $300."

"Aug't 23, 1864. Voted, That the whole matter of filling the quota of this town, be left with the Selectmen & Committee appointed with them, to act at their best discretion in the premises."

"Aug't 30, 1864. Voted, that the Selectmen & Committee be instructed to raise the money as voted at previous meetings for the purpose of filling the quota of this town.

"Voted, That in case the Selectmen & Committee cannot raise the money by guaranty or otherwise, that the Selectmen be authorized & instructed to draw orders upon the Treasury for the above object.

"Voted That Samuel L. WARNER be added to the Com'ee."

"Nov'r 19, 1864. Voted That the Selectmen of Middletown are hereby authorized and empowered to pay the sum of one hundred dollars to each & every man who volunteers & is accepted into the service of the United States for the term of three years, or the war, & to every person who shall furnish an acceptable substitute for the same time for the U. S. service, the number not to exceed one hundred and fifty. The money to be raised & paid as provided in the following Vote.

"Voted, That the sum of $25,000 be & the same is hereby appropriated to defray the expense of the foregoing vote & that the Selectmen of the town be authorized to borrow such portion of the same as may be needed, to carry out the object of said votes & that the Selectmen be directed to draw all necessary & proper orders, on the Treasury to effect the objects & purposes of the foregoing vote & that the Treasurer be instructed to pay the same."



"December 29th 1783.-Voted that General PARSONS, John DICKINSON Esq., Mr. Benjamin HENSHAW, Col. BROWN, and Matthew TALCOTT, Esq. be a committee to prepare instructions, in the name of this town, to their representatives, directing them to use their influence in the next Assembly to effect a division of Hartford County, and to establishing Middletown for the place of holding the Court, an also to use their influence to procure the mercantile part of the town of Middletown to be incorporated into a city with the powers and privileges prayed for by part of the inhabitants of New Haven in a memorial now depending in the Assembly and to prepare a memorial for the aforesaid purpose, and to sign and deliver the instructions to the representatives in behalf of the town."

The outcome of this action was the incorporation of the city in May 1784, by an act of the Legislature, while the town was still a part of Hartford county. Middlesex county was not formed till 1785.

The act defines the boundaries and corporation as follows:

"Beginning at the mouth of the Little river or Ferry River; thence in a northeast line to the east side of Connecticut river, at high water mark, until it comes to appoint due east from Sumner's Creek; thence southerly and westerly, as the said creek runs to Warwick's Bridge; thence west to the Little River, including the dwelling-house of Return Jonathan MEIGS; thence northerly and easterly down the Little river, as the same runs to the first boundary, including the waters of the said Little river, Sumner's Creek, and Connecticut river, within the preceding limits, be, and the same are hereby ordained, constituted, and declared to be from time to time and forever hereafter one body corporate and politic in fact and in name by the name of 'The Mayor Aldermen, Common Council, and Freemen of the City of Middletown.'

"Section III Provides that 'there shall be a meeting of said city holden annually in January at such time and place as by the by-laws of said city shall be directed, for the purpose of crossing all the annual officers of said city and the annual officers of said city chosen at such meeting shall continue in office until the expiration of the month of January then next unless others shall be sooner chosen and qualified in their stead.'

"Section IV Provides that 'the said city in legal meeting assembled shall choose a mayor who shall hold his office during the pleasure of the General Assembly.'"

Blind Counter