Sketch of the Strict Congregational Church,
Now the South Congregational Church of Middletown.
Taken from Centennial Address
by David D. Field, D. D.,
with Historical Sketches of Cromwell, Portland,
Chatham, Middle-Haddam,
Middletown and its Parishes.,
Middletown, Conn.,
William B. Casey,
pp 168 - 173
[The history of the First Congregational Church of the First Society is included in the history of that Society.]

About the time of the great revival of religion in New England, and in other parts of the English American Colonies, in 1741 and '42, a few individuals in the towns of Wethersfield and Middletown, embraced the principles of the Strict Congregationalists. These were formed into a Church in Wethersfield, Oct 28th, 1747, and Rev. Ebenezer FROTHINGHAM, a native of Cambridge, Mass., was ordained their pastor. But as the principal member is Wethersfield, within a few years, emigrated into the State of New York, Mr. FROTHINGHAM came to Middletown and was installed over the Strict Congregationalist living here, about 1754. These resided in the First and Fourth Societies. They were few in number, but increased considerably under his ministry. In 1788, they were divided into two churches, those in the First Society constituting one church, and those in the Fourth or Westfield Society constituting the other church. Mr. FROTHINGHAM was dismissed about the time of this division, but remained in Middletown until his death, Nov. 30, 1798, at the age of 81.

Some idea of the strength which the Congregation gathered under the ministry of Mr. FROTHINGHAM, may be formed from the fact that eighty persons under the date of Oct. 13, 1788, signed the following agreement:

"We the subscribers of the Second Strict Congregational Church and Society in this town, believing it to be our duty to attend the public worship of God, and support a gospel minister, do agree according to our several abilities, to raise such supplies as shall be necessary to render the life of a gospel minister comfortable in order for his usefulness among us, and that we will attend a society meeting, annually, on the last Monday in September, in order for raising such supplies as shall be necessary for the comfortable support of a gospel minister. And we further agree that we will be accountable to this church and society for any neglect in fulfilling this our agreement -- provided always that no force of civil law is to be used, in collecting support for the gospel ministry among us."

The names appended, placing them alphabetically, are these: Anthony AMES, Joshua ARNOLD, Thamer ATKINS, Ebenezer PIERPONT, and Benjamin BACON; Daniel, George, Caleb, Giles and Reuben BARNES; Solomon and John BILL; Solomon, Samuel and John Edward BLAKE; Amos BOW; Michael BRADDOCK, Noah BROOKS, Daniel and Samuel CLARK; Jesse, Joseph, and Ezra COE, and Jesse COE, jr.; Cornelius CORNWALL, John COTTON, 2d; John, Daniel and Samuel CROWELL and John CROWELL, jr.; John GILBERT, Enoch GREEN, John and Jonathan A. HALL, and John HALL, jr.; David HARRIS; Jacob, Elias, Oliver, Manoah and Enoch HUBBARD; Trustam HULL, jr., Ezekiel LYMAN, Ebenezer MARKHAM; Joshua, Caleb, and Peter MILLER; Robert and George PADDOCK; Aaron PLUMBE, Oliver PRIOR, Samuel REDDEN, Collins ROBERTS; Collins S., Hinchman, Aaron, Noyce and Edward ROBERTS; John ROGERS, jr., Samuel SAVAGE, Elias and Nathan SEARS, Daniel SIZER, Nathan STRONG, Jesse TRYON, Jonathan TURNER, Joseph WARD and Joseph WARD, jr., John WETMORE, Daniel and Stephen WHITMORE, and Abel and Giles WILCOX.

On the 3d of January, 1788, the Church invited Stephen PARSONS, a native of Middletown to be their pastor. He accepted their invitation, and was ordained on the 31st of the same month. He was dismissed on the 9th of August, 1795, having changed his sentiments on the mode and subjects of baptism.

Rev. David HUNTINGTON, a native of Lebanon, and graduate of Dartmouth College 1773, who had been previously settled in Marlborough, was installed the pastor of this people, Nov 8, 1797. He labored among them until Oct. 1800, and was afterwards settled in North Lyme. He was a man of ardent piety.

Rev. Horatio Thomas McGEORGE preached to the people from Oct 27th, 1801 until Jan 14th, 1802.

Rev. Benjamin GRAVES, a native of East Haddam, was ordained their pastor, Oct. 3d, 1803, and labored among them until the close of 1811, or beginning of 1812.

Not far from the time of his dismission, the church was dissolved "by consent of the brethren," and the prospects of this denomination were very gloomy. But on the 11th of January, 1816, four males and nine females, who had belonged to the old church, were formed into a new church, and the congregation was in some measure collected.

Soon after this, the Rev. Ahab JINKS was procured to preach to them, and on the 7th of August, 1816, was ordained by the Presbytery of Hudson, with which he was connected, with a view of becoming their pastor. Under his ministry the church received large accessions. But having been appointed by the Connecticut Missionary Society to labor in the States of Ohio and Indiana, he requested a dismission, November 10th, 1819. The church consented to his fulfilling his appointment, and in case he should then "desire a dismission," they voted, "it shall be granted." He renewed his request May 17th, 1820, and was dismissed accordingly. He has since labored at the West.

On the 31st of May 1822, Rev. Thomas T. DeVERELL from North Stonington, became their pastor and remained with them for about a year.

Between his dismission and the settlement of the next pastor, Rev. Messrs. ____ DICKINSON, George CARRINGTON and others preached to the congregation. Rev. Horace HOOKER of Hartford supplied them regularly in 1826, and until September, 1827.

In the month last mentioned, Rev. Edward R. TYLER, native of Guilford, Ver., and graduate of Yale College, 1825, commenced preaching among them, and was ordained and constituted their pastor on the 27th of December following. His influence as a candidate and pastor was very great among them. Many old members were gathered into the church, some united with it by letter, and more in consequence of a revival in 1831. Young and enterprising men joined the Society. But in consequence of ill health, he asked for a dismission, and was dismissed in Apr 1832. He was afterwards pastor of the church in Colebrook, an agent of the American Antislavery Society, editor of the Connecticut Observer, and editor, proprietor, and principal conductor of the New Englander. He died at New Haven, September 28th, 1848, aged 48, and his associates in the last mentioned work, in the last number for that year, inserted a very interesting obituary notice of him.

Rev. William H. BEECHER, son of Rev. Lyman BEECHER, D.D., was installed pastor, March 13th, 1833, and dismissed on the 16th of the succeeding September. He was afterwards pastor or state supply for a time, of a church in Trumbull, Ohio, and is not preaching in some part of that State.

Rev. Robert McEWEN, native of New London, graduate of Yale, 1827, Tutor, studied theology at New Haven, succeeded Mr. BEECHER, May 7, 1835, and was dismissed August 8th, 1838. He is now pastor of the church in Enfield, Mass., where he was installed Feb. 16th, 1842.

Rev. Arthur GRANGER, native of Suffield, who studied theology at Princeton, and who had been pastor of the First Congregational Church in Meriden, followed Mr. McEWEN, April 24th, 1839. He was dismissed in May, 1844, and immediately after became pastor of "High Street Church," in Providence, R.I., where he died Aug 2, 1845, age 42.

Rev. Andrew L. STONE, native of Oxford, graduate of Yale, 1837, was installed Sept. 3d, 1844, and dismissed in Jan., 1849, being then under a call to the Park Street Church in Boston, where he was installed soon after.

Rev. John N. DUDLEY, native of Andover, N.H., graduate of Amherst College, who studied theology in Newport, R.I., and in Andover, Mass., was engage to preach to the Congregation in Sept., 1849, and still supplies them.

The number of member of the Church, admitted by each of the successive pastors, cannot now probably be found, particularly those admitted by the earlier members.

Mr. JENKS admitted ... 84 members.
Mr. TYLER gathered in 48 old members
of the church, and by letter and
profession 125 more, total ...
168 members
Mr. BEECHER ... 4 members
In the 18 months following,
when there was no settled minister,
there were admitted ...
16 members
Mr. McEWEN admitted ... 62 members
Mr. GRANGER ... 178 members
Mr. STONE ... 82 members
Since Mr. STONE's dismission,
there have been admitted ...
11 members

Total from the commencement
of Mr. JENKS' services ...
600 members

Of those admitted since the beginning of Mr. TYLER's services, the following number are now resident members, viz:
Of the old ones gathered by Mr. TYLER 9 members
Of others admitted by him, 19 total .. 28 members
Of those admitted by Mr. BEECHER 1 member
Of those admitted between his dismission
and the settlement of Mr. McEWEN
4 members
Of those admitted by Mr. McEWEN 10 members
Of those admitted by Mr. GRANGER 58 members
Of those admitted by Mr. STONE 36 members
All admitted since Mr. STONE's dismission 11 members

Total of resident members, 1 Jan 1852 148 members

The records do not show who were the earliest deacons. John JOHNSON and Ebenezer BACON were deacons Oct. 13, 1788. The following deacons have been elected at the times specified:

When the Strict Congregationalists first arose, they held meetings in the dwelling house of their minister, Mr. FROTHINGHAM, on the north side of Mill Street. In 1774, they built a meeting house on the east side of Main Street, 56 feet by 46, now changed into dwellings for two families. The present church edifice was dedicated June 1830. It is 72 feet by 55, the audience room 52 feet square, and cost $6,000. In 1839 a cupola and bell were added at an expense of $750, and in 1845, the galleries were lowered at an expense of $350 more; the expense in the first instance being borne by subscription. In 1851, the interior of the house was painted in fresco by subscription, at an expense of $500, and $1400 were paid on an old debt.

No accurate accounts have been kept of the contributions for public benevolent objects. They may have been annually for some time $150. The debt of the Society may have diminished them.

Only one mode was worship was statedly observed in Middletown for about a century after the settlement was commenced. Now besides the Congregationalists, several denomination have houses for their worship. We shall give sketches of them in the order in which they have arisen.

Sketch of the Episcopal Church [Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 174-178

That there was occasionally Episcopal worship before 1750 is altogether probably, aside from tradition. Rev. James WETMORE, a native of the town, the first Congregational minister of North Haven, became an Episcopal minister about 1724, and it is very likely performed service sometimes in the dwellings of his friends. Jeremiah LEAMING, a native of the town at a later period, an Episcopal clergyman, may have done the same before 1750. Before that time some of the inhabitants had become so much attached to Episcopal forms, that they took some steps to secure a site on which to erect a house for public worship; the building of which Mr. WETMORE most earnestly advised the. Hence the town voted, April 29th, 1749, "that the professors of the Church of England, have liberty to erect their church in the highway, between Jaffries' corner, (so called,), John FOSTER's corner and the dwelling house of Mr. Ephraim DOANE, and the selectmen, or any three of them, are hereby empowered to stake out the place for the said building."

Many years since the writer was assured that, at the close of 1749, there were sixteen Episcopal families in the town, though measures in due form do not appear to have been taken to organize a parish till Easter Monday, April 16th, 1750. A church was erected on the site, designated in the vote of the town in 1752, fifty feet long and thirty-six wide, with a towering steeple, though not finished for two or three years. This was used as a sanctuary more than eighty years; when the proffer of a thousand dollars from the Ladies of the Assistant Society, prompted the gentlemen to the work of erecting their present church edifice. This was completed in 1834. It is of Portland stone, seventy-eight feet by sixty, twelve feet porch, and cost $14,000.

A bell for the first Episcopal Church was procured in 1759, and a second was given by Mr. John ALSOP, a wealthy merchant of New York, brother of Richard ALSOP of this place, in 1785. This is now in use in the present church.

For many years the people were aided in the support of their ministers, by the Society in England for the propagation of the gospel in Foreign Parts. Rev. Dr. LEAMING, already spoken of, and Dr. Richard MANSFIELD, performed at least occasional services for them.

Rev. Ichabod CAMP, a native of Durham, graduate of Yale 1743, divided his labors between the Episcopalians here and in Wallingford, from 1752 until 1760. He removed to Louisburgh, Vir., where he was murdered by a son-in-law. In the triennial catalogue, his death is represented as having occurred in the last mentioned year, but it has been supposed that it occurred at a later period.

Rev. Abraham JARVIS, native of Norwalk, and graduate of Yale, 1761, was reader for the congregation from 1761, until he sailed to England, for orders, in the autumn of 1763. His people advanced forty pounds sterling to pay the expense of his voyage. Upon his return, he entered on the duties of his ministry, on a salary of ninety pounds, twenty of it being given by the Society for propagating the gospel. He continued rector until 1799, two years after he was elected Bishop of Connecticut, and then removed to Cheshire, afterwards to New Haven, where he died May 3d, 1813, aged 75.

Rev. Calvin WHITE, a native of this town, graduate of Yale 1786, was invited in Sept., 1799, to become rector, and performed services until July 27th, 1800. A like invitation was given to Rev. Joseph WARREN, in Oct., 1800, who was rector until Aug., 1803. Rev. Clement MERRIAM, was rector from April, 1804, till April, 1806. For some six months afterwards, Mr. Samuel BIRGE was employed as a lay reader, and then the church was supplied by preachers employed from sabbath to sabbath, or by visiting clergymen.

On the 3d of April, 1809, Rev. John KEWLEY, M.D., an Englishman, educated at Eton College, Cambridge, who had practiced medicine in the West Indies, and in Pennsylvania, but who had taken orders and been minister in Chester, in Maryland, was called to the rectorship and soon after instituted. His ministry was both very acceptable and very profitable to his parishioners. But unhappily for the parties, though with their consent, the connection was dissolved by the Bishop in March, 1813. In the same year, he was duly installed rector, in St. George's Church in the city of New York, and the Rev. John BRADY, assistant rectory. Both resigned their charge in 1816, and Dr. KEWLEY soon after returned to England. It is generally understood that he afterward went to Rome and became connected with the Catholic Church. A curious fact, confirmatory of this is given in the "Life of Dr. Milnor," his successor in St. George's Church.

Birdsey Glover NOBLE, native of New Milford, graduate of Yale 1810, succeeded Dr. KEWLEY, in 1813, and then in deacon's orders, and officiated until Sept., 1828, when he resigned. He was elected rector of the church in Elizabethtown, N.J., in March, 1829, and resigned in 1833. He engaged subsequently in teaching in Bridgeport, and then in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he was assistant minister in the church of the Holy Trinity. In 1849, he died in Bridgeport, aged, it is believed, about 58.

Rev. Smith PYNE, who had been rector in Elizabethtown from June 1st, 1826, till December, 1828, was in the course of the month or year last mentioned, elected rector in Middletown, and entered upon his services the following month, but in August, 1830 resigned; though in the autumn of 1831, he resumed services here and continued them until August, 1836. He is now settled in Washington, D.C.

In the interval between the two periods of Mr. PYNE's services, Rev. George JONES was invited to become rector, and consented to serve the congregation a few months. He had been chaplain in the United States Navy several years, and then two years tutor in Yale College, where he was graduated in 1823. His services in Middletown were highly valuable and productive of much good. But his health not allowing him to discharge steadily the duties of a parish, he again accepted a chaplaincy in the Navy, in which service he is now acting.

Rev. Dr. Samuel Farmer JAVIS, son of Bishop JAVIS, born in Middletown and graduated at Yale 1805, was elected rector April 11th, 1837, and the Rev. Dr. John WILLIAMS, native of Deerfield, Mass., and graduate of Trinity College, assistant rector; but Dr. WILLIAMS was afterwards called to the rectorship of the Episcopal church in Schenectady, where he officiated until called in 1849, to the Presidency of Trinity College; which office he still holds, though recently elected and consecrated assistant Bishop of Connecticut.

Dr. JARVIS resided in Middletown until his death, March 29th, 1851, aged 64. He was rector of the church in Bloomingdale, near New York city, and of St. Paul's in Boston, before settling in Middletown, and also a professor in Trinity College. Dr. WILLIAMS preached at his funeral, and it is understood, is preparing a memoir of him, which will of course give an account of his writings.

Rev. H.B. SHERMAN, supplied the congregation in Middletown for a time after the call of Dr. WILLIAMS to Schenectady, but was not rector. He has now the charge of the church in Bellevue, N.J.

Rev. Edson Wilson WILTBANK, began to officiate in Middletown, April 11th, 1842, and was succeeded by Rev. Horace HILLS, February 11th, 1844.

The present incumbent, Rev. F. J. GOODWIN, is a native of South Berwick, Maine, graduate of Bowdoin College, 1832. He entered upon his services here, August 17th, 1845.

This church has passed through various scenes. It was generally on the advance until the Revolutionary war, when it was involved in difficulties, as Episcopal churches were elsewhere, by the connection of such churches with the state of England. The rectors generally held that they were bound to pray in public assemblies, for king and royal family, as they had done aforetime, in a manner, with the great body of Americans deemed to be wrong under existing circumstances, and which after the declaration of independence, was deemed an act of hostility to the government of the United States. Most rectors in the northern and middle States, after this declaration, closed their churches. The venerable Dr. William WHITE of Philadelphia, did not follow their example, and in his Memoirs of the Protestant Episcopal Churches in the United States (p. 77) he undertakes to show that the obligation then, to pray openly, and by name for the king and royal family, was not as strong as most of the rectors thought it to be. Whether right in his reasoning or not, it is certain Episcopal churches were in great trouble in the Revolution. But after the war was over the Episcopal church in Middletown revived. The people connected with it had not been confirmed, there being no bishop in America to perform that service, until Rev. Samuel SEABURY was consecrated Bishop of Connecticut in Scotland in 1784. On the 17th of September, 1786, this Bishop confirmed one hundred and twenty-seven persons in this town, a few of whom, were perhaps from neighboring places.

The number of communicants in the Church, in 1799, was 47; in 1810, 50; in 1812, 84; in 1814, 85; in 1831, 90. The present number of communicants is about 180.

Within the last four years, Mrs. Martha Mortimer STARR, now deceased, gave $3,000 to Domestic Missions and $3,000 more to Foreign. Within the same period, the congregation separately from her, have given $972.87 to the first of these objects, and $463.50 to the second; to other public benevolent objects, $3,685.78; total $5,122.15.

Sketch of the Baptist Church [Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 178 - 180

Individuals have been attached to the sentiments of the Baptists for some time. The First Church was formed in the city, Oct. 19th, 1795, consisting of eleven members, five males and six females. This has enjoyed the instruction of the following elders:

Joshua BRADLEY, a native of Kingston, Mass., graduate of Brown University preached to them for a time.

George PHIPPEN, native of Salem, Mass., and graduate of the same institution, preached to them more or less, from June 11th, 1812, to July 1816.

Jeremiah F. BRIDGES, a native of Colchester, succeeded Mr. PHIPPEN, and preached to them till Oct. 3d, 1818.

Eli BALL, preached to them from Nov. 6th, 1818, to May 4th, 1823; James A. BOSWELL, from June 2th, 1823, to the close of the year; Daniel WILDMAN, from sometime in 1824, till April 1st, 1825; John R. DODGE, from May 1825, to Nov. 1827.

John COOKSON, an Englishman, preached to them from some time in the winter of 1828-9, until 1839; Thomas WILKS, from 1839, to sometime in 1840, and D.C. HAYNES from May 1840, til Nov. 1841.

William G. HOWARD, a native of Newburyport, Mass., preached to them from some time in 1843, to Feb. 28th, 1847. He has since been pastor of the Baptist Church in Essex, and of a Baptist Church in the city of Albany. He is now preaching in Rochester.

Beriah N. LEACH, a native of Middletown, Ver., educated at Madison University, N.Y., commenced services in Middletown, September 12, 1848, became pastor March 2d, 1849, and ministered to the congregation until August 51, when he resigned.

Meriwether WINSTON, accepted the pastoral charge in October, 1851.

How many communicants were admitted to the Church by the first tow of the foregoing elders, is not ascertained.

Elder BRIDGES admitted 31
Elder BALL admitted 11
Elder BOSWELL admitted 2
Elder WILDMAN admitted 8
Elder DODGE admitted 22
Elder COOKSON admitted 168
Elder WILKS admitted 15
Elder HAYNES admitted 33
Elder HOWARD admitted 39
Elder LEACH admitted 74

The number of Members Jan. 1st 1852, was 339.

The Baptists built their first meeting-house in 1809, fifty-three by thirty-eight feet. Their present house was built in 1842. It is of brick, seventy-six feet by fifty-six, and cost $12,500. Towards this, Mr. Robert PADDOCK, a brother in the Church, and his wife, Mrs. Martha PADDOCK, paid more than five thousand dollars. Since her husband's death in May, 1845, she has also given $1,000 for a permanent fund, the interest of which is to be applied towards the support of the ministry.

Regular contributions are made by the people to the American and Foreign Bible Society, to Foreign and Home Missions, and for Ministerial Education. Contributions too are occasionally taken up for other public benevolent objects.

Sketch of the Methodist E. Church [Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 180 - 182

Although Methodist preaching was begun in Middletown in 1789, it is understood first in Middlefield; although a circuit, to be called Middletown circuit, was in contemplation in 1790, and two preachers were sent to form and travel the circuit, yet the Society in the city takes it's date from December, 1791. The circuit was formed, and continued a circuit until 1816, when Middletown became a station, or separate charge. It has been attached to several Districts, as New York, New London, Rhinebeck, New Haven and Hartford, which has made the change of presiding elders greater in proportion to the time allowed for services, than the circuit and stationed preachers.

The Congregation increased rather rapidly before the establishment of the Wesleyan University in the city. It has increased more rapidly since, not only as the Faculty, their families and the students generally are connected with it, but as families in a considerable number of instances have moved into the city for the sake of helping their sons the more conveniently through their classical course. This is evident among other proofs form the increase of communicants in the church. In 1816, the number was 112; in 1826, 172; in 1846, when the University had become quite prosperous 515. It should be stated, however, that at the last mentioned date, the number was unusually large, and that members in Middlefield then belonged to the Church, as well as members from the families of officers in the University and such students as had joined the church by letter and profession. Ever since 1840, about sixty students have been communicants, rather more than half being professors of religion. The number of communicants, Jan. 1, 1852 was 430.

The following account of the preachers to this church and the presiding elders, has been kindly furnished by Rev. Mr. REID, the present officiating minister.

Rev. Jesse LEE first preached in Middletown, 1789
1790 - He sent 2 preachers to form and travel the circuit,
and Daniel SMITH formed the first class in Middletown
1791 - John ALLEN & Dan'l SMITH traveled the circuit Jesse LEE, P. Elder
1792 - Richard SWAIN, Aaron HUNT, circuit preacher Jacob BRUSH, Elder
1793 - Joshua TAYLOR, Benj FRISBE, circuit preacher George ROBERTS, Elder
1794 - Menzes RAYNOR, Daniel OSTRANDER, circuit preacher George ROBERTS, Elder
1795 - Evan ROGERS, Joel KETCHUM, circuit preacher Jesse LEE, P. Elder
1796 - Joshua TAYLER, Lawrence McCOMBS, circuit preacher S. HUTCHINSON, Elder
1797 - Michael COATS, Peter JAYNE, circuit preacher S. HUTCHINSON, Elder
1798 - Augustus JOCELYN, circuit preacher S. HUTCHINSON, Elder
1799 - Ebenezer STEVENS, circuit preacher S. HUTCHINSON, Elder
1800 - James COLEMAN, Roger SEARLES, circuit preacher F. GARRETSON, Elder
1801 - Elijah BATCHELOR, Luman ANDREWS, circuit preacher F. GARRETSON, Elder
1802 - Abner WOOD, James ANNIS, circuit preacher F. GARRETSON, Elder
1803 - Abner WOOD, Nathan EMORY, circuit preacher D. OSTRANDER, Elder
1804 - Ebenezer WASHBURN, N. EMORY, circuit preacher D. OSTRANDER, Elder
1805 - Ebe. WASHBURN, Luman ANDRUS, circuit preacher D. OSTRANDER, Elder
1806 - Luman ANDRUS, Zalmon LYON, circuit preacher Wm. THATCHER, Elder
1807 - W. THATCHER, R. HARRIS, O. STYKES, circuit preacher Jos. CRAWFORD, Elder
1808 - James M. SMITH, Phineas RICE, circuit preacher Jos. CRAWFORD, Elder
1809 - Nobel W. THOMAS, Coles CARPENTER, circuit preacher Jos. CRAWFORD, Elder
1810 - Oliver SYKES, Jonathan LYON, circuit preacher Jos. CRAWFORD, Elder
1811 - Zalmon LYON, Johnathan LYON, circuit preacher Wm. ANSON, Elder
1812 - Aaron HUNT< Arnold SCHOLFIELDS, circuit preacher Elijah WOOLSEY, Elder
1813 - Elijah WOOLSEY, Arnold SCHOLFIELDS, circuit preacher Nathan BANGS, Elder
1814 - Wm. JEWETT, Peter BUSSING, circuit preacher Nathan BANGS, Elder
1815 - Wm. JEWETT, Jonathan LYON, circuit preacher Nathan BANGS, Elder
1816 - Middletown a Station, Tho's THORP, S. Pres. Nathan BANGS, Elder
1817-18 - Marvin RICHARDSON, S. Pres. E. WASHBURN, Elder
1819-20 - William JEWETT, S. Pres. E. WASHBURN, Elder
1821-22 - Phinehas COOK, S. Pres. Sam'l MERWIN, Elder
1823 - Josiah BOWEN, S. Pres. Sam'l MERWIN, Elder
1824 - Josiah BOWEN, S. Pres. Sam'l LUCKY, Elder
1825-26 - Ebenezer WASHBURN, S. Pres. Sam'l LUCKY, Elder
1827 - Heman BANGS, S. Pres. D. OSTRANDER, Elder
1828 - Heman BANGS, S. Pres. Laban CLARK, Elder
1829-30 - Thomas BURCH, S. Pres. Laban CLARK, Elder
1831 - Fitch READ, S. Pres. Laban CLARK, Elder
1832 - Fitch READ, S. Pres. Herman BANGS, Elder
1833-34 - Bartholomew CROAGH, S. Pres S. MARTINDALE, Elder
1835 - John C. GREEN, S. Pres. S. MARTINDALE, Elder
1836 - Charles K TRUE, S. Pres. S. MARTINDALE, Elder
1837 - Elisha ANDREWS, S. Pres. John LINDSEY, Elder
1838 - Elisha ANDREWS, S. Pres. Fitch READ, Elder
1839 - Francis HODGSON, S. Pres. H. BANGS, Elder
1840 - Francis HODGSON, S. Pres. C.W. CARPENTER, Elder
1841 - Abiather M. OSBON, S. Pres. C. W. CARPENTER, Elder
1842 - Abiather M. OSBON, S. Pres. S.D. FURGESON, Elder
1843-44 - Edwin E. GRISWOLD, S. Pres. Barth. CREAGH, Elder
1845 - John L. GUILDER, S. Pres. Barth. CREAGH, Elder
1846 - James FLOY, S. Pres. Barth. CREAGH, Elder
1847 - James FLOW, S. Pres. E.E. GRISWOLD, Elder
1848 - Zepheniah N. LEWIS, S. Pres. S. LANDON, Elder
1849-50 - Moses L. SCUDDER, S. Pres. S. LANDON, Elder
1851 - John M. REID, S. Pres. J.B. STRATTON, Elder

The late excellent President OLIN, was in the habit of giving $100 annually for Foreign Missions, and the Society, separately from him, were in the habit of giving about $200 more. Collections are taken up for the Colonization and Seamen's Friend Societies, and for general educational purposes.

The society built their first Church edifice of brick, in 1805, 42 feet by 32, on the north side of the South Green. They built their second church on the same site, and of the same material in 1828, 75 feet by 55, height of wall 30; audience room 63 by 52; cost, including steeple, $7,500. A lecture room in the rear of this, also of brick was built in 1851, 56 feet by 40, audience room 38 by 34, cost $1600. Immediately by these buildings, the Society have a parsonage.

Sketch of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
[Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 183

This church was organized by Rev. James ANDERSON, a colored clergyman of New Haven in 1828. The first trustees were Asa JEEFFREY, Joseph GILBUD, E. DeFOREST, G.W. JEFFREY and John HAMBLETON; all of whom, excepting E. DeFOREST, are now dead.

Their church edifice, 39 feet by 31, was built and dedicated in 1829. It stands a short distance west of the University. It was built by subscription and involved the trustees in a debt for some years, from which they are now free.

The average congregation consists of about 100 persons, 30 of whom are communicants. They are supplied with preaching by Conference, and have had a very efficient Sabbath School, and Temperance Society. The superintendent of the school, has been many years, if not uniformly, one of their own people - the greater proportion of the teachers, 12 in number, have been whites. The scholars on an average are about 50. The Library contains 281 volumes.

Sketch of the Universalist Church [Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 183 - 184

The Universalists in Middletown held a meeting Nov. 29th, 1829, for the purpose of forming themselves into a legal society, and to raise funds for the support of preaching. The Lancasterian School house was hired by them, and preaching supported in it for about ten years. In the autumn of 1838 committees were appointed to procure a site for a church, and to contract for the building; the succeeding year, a site was secured, and a church raised and completed on the south-west corner of Main and Parsonage street. This is 70 feet by 52; the front of the basement is used for stores, and in the rear there is a conference room with desk and seats. The building, with the site, cost about $12,000. Several individuals united and gave a bell which weighs 1831 pounds.

The house was dedicated in October, 1839, and at the same time Rev. L.S. EVERETT of Baltimore installed as pastor.

Mr. EVERETT was called to Salem, Massachusetts in April 1841, and the Rev. Merritt SANFORD of Vermont, was installed his successor the same season. Mr. SANFORD becoming unable to preach by a bronchitic affection, an arrangement was made to hire a supply until he should recover his health, but some dissatisfaction growing out of the arrangement, he asked for a dismission which was granted.

September 15th, 1844, Rev. T.P. ABELL from Haverhill, Massachusetts, was settled as their pastor and still ministers to the congregation.

About 80 families are connected with the Society and from 25 to 30 persons are members of the church. Contribution have been take up for the Bible cause and for Sabbath Schools among their own denomination.

Sketch of the Roman Catholic Church [Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT]
David D. Field, D.D.
Middletown, Conn., 1853
pp 184 - 185

The oppressed and suffering Catholics of Ireland for some years past, have been coming to this place and vicinity, as they have to other centres of business in the State and country, seeking employment and the means of support for themselves and their families. -- While many females have gained their objects, in the dwellings of inhabitants here, and many males on the farms of the owners and cultivators of the soil, no where within a considerable distance have so many men found employment as in the Portland Quarries, opposite the north end of the city. They needed a house of worship. Accordingly under the guidance and control of Rev. John BRADY, their pastor at the time, they began in October, 1843, to build them a brick church of respectable size, fronting the North Green. This was soon found insufficient to accommodate their growing numbers. They therefore under the guidance and control of their present pastor, Rev. John BRADY Jun., a relative of his predecessor, began in June 1850 to build a much larger church of Portland stone, of Gothic architecture, on the site of the previous building, which is now very nearly ready for consecration. The audience room contains 224 slips, and though there are no side galleries, it has an Organ gallery sufficient for a very large choir. This exceed in size any other audience room in the city, and in beauty none can be compared with it. The cost of the church we cannot state.

Blind Counter