The History of Middlesex County 1635-1885
J. H. Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, New York
1884
Pages 417 - 434

TOWN OF KILLINGWORTH.

By HON. WILLIAM H. BUELL.
[transcribed by Janece Streig]



OLD KILLINGWORTHOLD
EXTENT AND BOUNDARIES.



          KILLINGWORTH was originally bounded on the south by Long Island Sound, on the west by Guilford, on the east by Saybrook, and on the north by the wilderness. Subsequently more definite bounds were established, fixing the east bounds to terminate on the sea shore at the "riding way." Two or three times after this the lines were run. The south line was made to terminate in the woods, nearly a mile west of the "riding way," and the bridge over the Menunketesuc River was included in Saybrook, and had remained so ever since. The following is from the General Court records, 1676: "This Court recommends it to the inhabitants of Kenilworth to accommodate Say Brooke in the bounds between them, soe that Say Brooke may run from the river towards the west three miles at their north bounds. And from thence to run a straight line, till they meet wit the line where the "wading place" is at Manunketissick."

          The Settlers were constantly beset with trouble as to boundaries. Guilford was originally bounded on the east by the west bank of Mannonassett River, but when the General Court ordered a bridge to be built across the bridge and the middle of the river was made the line of division. Another source of affliction was, Saybrook claimed town the territory, and finally several, if not all, owners of real estate in Killingworth paid to Saybrook a sort of hush money to keep matters quiet.

SETTLEMENT OF THE TOWN.



The present Clinton was the original Killingworth. Main street was the identical ground where the first settlers took their home lots. These were surveyed in 1663, and were allotted to them by some method analogous to "drawing cuts." It may have been by drawing numbers from a hat or box. Lot No. 1 was on the south side of Main street, east of Indian River, and is now owned and occupied by George E. Elliot, Esq. It was owned and occupied by Rev. Jared Eliot in his day, and has ever since remained in the possession of the Eliot family. Killingworth was originally a piece of ground "left out" as not worth settling. Guilford had been settled as a part of New Haven colony as early as 1640. Saybrook had been settled as early as 1635, an independent colony. Guilford was settled east of its center, on the beautiful lands of Hammonassett, on the west bank of that river. Saybrook settlers had reached west from their center to the equally rich lands east of Westbrook meeting house, and south of Main street. But the passage from Saybrook to Guilford was, at that time, almost an impossibility, even for a daring hunter. To travel with wheels was an impossibility. A river on the east was unfordable for two miles, except at low tide at the mouth, call the "riding way" as early as 1663. There was another "riding way" on the Menunketesuc, about two miles north, at Chapman's Mills. The dividing line between Clinton and Westbrook runs through the mill building. On the west was no ford on the Hammonassett River, except about two miles north of Main street, Clinton, just below Hammonassett Mills. Tradition says that footmen between Saybrook and Guilford kept along the seabeach of Long Island Sound. But there was a delightful spot at the head of a beautiful harbor, where the first settlers located Main street. This street runs a little north of west and south of east about a half mile north of the head of the harbor. An abundance of oysters, fish, and clams were to be found in the harbor and in the rivers as far up as salt water flowed.

          In March 1663, the General Court appointed:

          "Wm. WADSWORTH, Ens. AUERY, and Lnt. SMITH, a committee to view the lands at Homonoscitt and if they judg be not fitt for a plantation, and will not be UERY prejudiciall to Say Brook, then they are to lay it out to Mr. Math: ALLYN, Capt. TALLCOTT, John ALLYN & Mr. WILLIS and according to the grant of the court, but if it be prejudicial to Saybrook they are to lay out what they judge right to the town of Say Brook and the rest to Mr. Matthew ALLYN, Capt. TALCOTT, Mr. WILLYS, Mr. Joseph HAYNES or Mr. Daniell CLERK according as the court shall determine, as far as it will go according their graunts, ye 1st graunt to be laid out 1st, and so successiuly, and what any tow of this committee agree to shall be a final issue of the case. The time of meeting and attending this service is to be appointed by Say Brook and the gent concerned sometime in June next."

          "The committee appointed to view Hammonascit returned a writing under their hands dated June 3d 1663 wherein they expressed that according to their best judgment it will make a comfortable plantation for the entertainment of Thirty families to subsist comfortably.:

          The committee were Wm. WADSWORTH, Samuel SMITH, and James AVERY.

          "This Court doth declare that the former act about Hammonascit not being a plantation is hereby revoked, and the former order that it should be a plantation is to stand.

          "To prevent future inconveniences that may arise between Say Brook and Hammonascit plantation, and for a full issue of this case, the court orders that the bounds between ye sd plantations shall be where the common passage over Menunketesuc River is, and so run north into the country, and south into the sea. The former vote concerning the bounds of these plantations is retracted. Mr. [Bryan] ROSSITER, Matthew GRISWOLD, and John WEST are to lay out the bounds according to order of Court."

          Bryan ROSSITER, of Guilford, was a surveyor, and measured and laid out Main street, Clinton. He took a chance in the drawing for a "home lot," and his brother John also. Bryan ROSSITER remained in Guilford, but John came and remained with the settlers at Clinton.

          Matthew GRISWOLD was then of Saybrook, an emigrant from Windsor, in the employ of Col. FENWICK. He furnished Lady FENWICK's tomb. It is not known that he was a stone cutter, but the bill of its cost was furnished by him. He was afterward one of the first settlers of Lyme, and was ancestor of Governors Matthew and Roger GRISWOLD. He was a younger brother of Edward GRISWOLD, one of the first settlers of Killingworth.

          The above copy of record seems to be the first copy of record concerning what the nest year was named Kenilworth, from the place in England from which Edward and Matthew GRISWOLD came. From this name or manner of naming a fair inference is that Edward GRISWOLD was the most prominent man of the little colony; especially as he was the first delegate to the General Court, a justice of the peace in Windsor, and the first deacon of the church.

          How was it the people of Hartford, Windsor, and Wethersfield knew of this little spot of ground unsettled? It may have been that Matthew GRISWOLD, who had previously removed to Saybrook, had traveled the road from Saybrook to Guilford, and perhaps hunted over the grounds, and had communicated his knowledge to his brother, Edward, who, although 64 years old, was ready to try the hard task of obtaining a livelihood in a wild uncultivated tract of ground, where a committee had solemnly report that 30 families might obtain a "comfortable subsistence." The most attractive grounds of the plantation were almost surrounded by salt water at high tide.

          The following is from the Records, Vol. I, page 238:

          "The determination and conclusion of the committee chosen by the General Assembly for the ordering of the settling of Hammonasset, Oct. 1663. The binding articles concluded on by the said committee:

          1. That none put in above a Hundred Pound Estate for the Division of Land.

          2. That every man's Proportion be laid out by lot.

          3. That every one that puts in his name for a Planter Remove himself & family & Settle within two years from this time or else to forfeit his land to the Company or Plantation.

          4. That every family so Removed & Settled abide for four years after the first two years have expired or else lose their Land Receiving only the equitable expense.

          5. If any Magistrate Remove thither he is to attend the same manner as the rest provided that he is to have some addition of Land beyond his proportion in consideration of his place as the Company shall think meet.

          6. That there be a convenient allotment Reserved for the minister forever.

          7. That they Shall Settle an Able Orthodox & Godly Minister free from Scandal and with the advice of the major part of the Magistrates of Connecticut.

          8. That none shall have an allotment for a greater Estate than he carried to the place.

          9. that there shall be thirty families on the east side of Hammonasset at the least.

          Subscribed by Samuel WILLYS,

          The Henry WOLLCOTT

          Committee. Will'm WADSWORTH

          "Entered as Planters by the Committee:

          "Bryan ROSSITER, Josiah HULL sen., John CLOW senr., [* Those followed by a * never settled.] Jonas WESTOVER, William HUYDON, Simon MILLS,* John CLOW jur.,* Josiah GIBBERD,* Edward GRISWOLD, William KELSEY, Josiah ELLSWORTH,* William BARBER, John MEIGS senr., John STEDMAN,* Samuel BUELL, Matthew BEIQUETT,* John SKINNER,* William WELLMAN, Robert HOWARD,* Richard WARKLEY.*

          "And that there be a liberty for two or three of STRATFORD & also Mr. Matthew ALLYN is to have a liberty according to the articles & so it is left to the major part of those admitted to entertain the rest of number agreed upon which is to be at least thirty families in all.

          All subscribed unto by the

          Committee Samuel WYLLIS,
          Henry WILCOTT,
          Will'm WADSWORTH."

          The following "allotment of the several inhabitants of Hammonascit" is from page 1 of the town records of Killingworth:

          "Thomas SMITH, William BARBER, John MEGGS, William KELCEY, Mr. John WOODBRIDGE, Josias ROSITER, Henry FARNAM, William WELLMAN, George CHATFIELD, Thomas STEVENS, Edward GRISWOLD, William HUYTON, Samuel BUELL, John KELCEY, Robert WILLIAMS, granted, John NETTLETON, granted, Annanias TURNERY, purchase, John ROSSITER, by agreement, John MEGGS, granted, John SHETHER, purchase of Jonathan DUNNING, George SANDERS, granted, William STEVENS, Josiah HULL senr., Eliezer ISBEL, granted, Isaac GRISWOLD, purchase, Jonathan DUNIN."

          In 1669, the following list of freemen of the "Towne of Kennelworth," is recorded: Mr. John WOODBRIDGE, Mr. Edward GRISWOLD, Josiah HULL, John ROSSETER, John WILCOCKSON, Samuel BUELL, Jonas WESTOVER, Eliazer ISBEL, William STEVENS, Nathaniel PARMERLY, William BARBER, John MEIGS senr., Andrew WARDE, William KEILSEY, William WELMAN, George CHATFIELD, Thomas STEENS, John KEILSEY, John MEIGGS jr., Josiah HULL, John ROSSETER, townsmen; George CHATFIELD, constable.

          The actual first settlers were 21 in number. The act of the General Court required 30 families to settle before an act incorporation could be granted them. They gradually increased until 1685, when the General Court incorporated them or granted them a "patent."

PATENT OF 1703.



In 1703, a new patent was granted to the inhabitants of Killingworth by the General Assembly.

          "This assembly doth grant to Lieut. Henry CRANE, William STEPHENS, Samuel BUELL, and John KELSIE, and their associated, the present proprietors and inhabitants of Killinworth, their heirs, successors, and assignes forever according to their and each of their respective and just rights therein all that tract of land lying between the tracts of land belonging to the inhabitants of the towns of Gilford and Say Brook, butted and bounded as followeth, viz, on the south or southward by the sea, On the east or eastward running north from the sea to a white oak tree standing in the line near Ma, Na, Qua, tesett, River at the old riding place* [This riding place is believed to be inland from the sea where are now CHAPMAN's Mills, and this running of a new line is the change that left Benjamin WRIGHT in Saybrook.] marked with K B on the west and with S B on the east Thence running a north line to Haddam bounds where is a heap of flat stones cast up; and near Haddam is marked two chestnut trees growing on one root, close by a great rock which is upright [] like a wall on the south side; on the north running from said heap of stones in Haddam lines due west to an oak tree marked with H B on the north side and K B on the south side with a heap of stones laid about it. From thence a due west line to the westernmost branch of Hammonascit river. On the west by the middle of the said Hammonascit River, as the river runs till it falls into the seas. Together with all and singular the rights, profits, privileges, member and appurtances to the said tract of land or any part thereof belonging or in any wise appertaining, and doe order that the parties above named shall have a patent for confirmation of the premises, to them their heirs, successors, and assigns as above mentioned. The patent to be signed by the Hon'r'l the Governor and by the Secretary in the name and behalfe of the Governor and company of this Colony."

          Notwithstanding these two patents, the first settlers were so anxious for the security of the titles to their land that they took a title deed from the secretary of State [see State Archives, also records of the town of Killingworth], afterward paid the town of Saybrook to satisfy their claim, and again purchased the Indian title from Uncas, sachem of the Mohegans.

DEEDS FROM UNCAS.



A Deed of Sale from Uncas.-"Witnese this writing made betwixt William LEETE and Samuel KITCHEL on the one part and Uncas the Mohegan or his son Ahaddon alias Joshua, on the other part these, we the said Uncas and Ahaddon being the rightful heirs and possessors of all the lands royalties and privileges betwixt the East river of Guilford and Athammonassett river, and having sold most part of the land to Mr. FENWICK and unto Guilford men long since i. E. all beneath Connecticut path to the seaside for valuable considerations already had and received, do now of our free will bargain and sell all the rest of the lands royalties and privileges to us belonging, which land runs half way Notowepesack which right came to us by Uncas' marriage of the daughter of Erhequanach who dwelt at Athamononassett and she was mother to the said Ahaddon. We say these land rights royalties and privileges we do sell and deliver up unto the said William LEETE and Samuel KITCHEL to them and their heirs forever for and in consideration of an Indian coat worth thirty shillings and a shirt cloth worth ten shillings now had and received of the said William LEETE and Samuel KITCHEL in testimony of the truth of all the premises well interpreted and understood by us we have set to our hands this 13th of January 1663.

          "It was after the former writing agreed that Uncas or his son shall have leave to hunt in fit season within these tracts observing the directions of the said English and doing no hut to them or their cattle.

          In the presence of Thomas CHITTENDEN, John CHITTENDEN, Andrew LEETE. "Dated January 13, 1663."

          Second Deed from Uncas.-"These Presents Witness that I Uncas Sachem MOHEGAN have hereby sold unto Mr. George FENWICK a considerable parcel of the Land now Lying within the bounds of the Town of Killingworth we Woncas & Joswah my son do by these Presents alianate assign & pass ouer forever all our Right & Interest whatsoever in all or any of the Land lying within the bound & Limits of the Town of Killingworth to the Inhabitants there which I have not formerly sold to Mr. George FENWICK & we Do by these Presents Ratify & confirm this Sale to the s'd Inhabitants of Killingworth them their Heirs or Assigns-To have & to hold enjoy & possess forever free from any molestation by either of Woncas or Joswah or any other Person or persons from by or under us only we reserve Six acres of Land on the great Hammock four acres about to the middle of the Hammock and the other two acres at the East end of the Hammock of the best of the Land there & also free Liberty to hunt in the wood & fish in the Rivers and Harbours & to make of any trees for Canves & Rushes & flags to make Matts--& for the true performance here of we have Interchangably Set to our hand this present November 26. In the year of our Lord 1669.

          "The mark of X Wonkas.
          "The mark of X Joswah his son.

          "Witness "Henry CRANE
          "Nathan BRADLAY."

SAYBROOK VS. KILLINGWORTH



It appears from the Town Records of Killingworth, vol. 1, p. 192, that there was in the early history of the county a quarrel between the towns of Killingworth and Saybrook. In regard to this matter the following from the records may be of interest:

          "Whereas there hath been a difference between Saybrook and Kennelworth Respecting the Land they do possess the Inhabitants of Saybrook being from the Consideration of a peaceable Issue and that So there be unity and unanimity between us both the Inhabitants of Saybrook & Killingworth have therefore agreed and concluded on the Respects aforesaid & Thirty Pounds made sure by obligation bearing date herewith all & this underwritten Conveyanceis, a full and final Issue between the towns as above s'd---

          "Know all ye therefore that we whose names are hereunto subscribed do in the name & on behalf & by order from the Town of Saybrook alienate & Make over unto the Inhabitants of Killingworth all our Right title, claims & Interests which they possess falling within the boundaries of that Line which Runs north & South being by Mr. Nathaniel WHITE & to deac'n John HALL both of Middletown which was Run by Court order unto Hammonasset River and from the sea to Haddam Bound from us our Heirs and Successors to them their Heirs & Successors forever, To have hold & quietly possess & enjoy without let trouble or molestation the aforesaid Land Either by us our Heirs & Successors or any for us in our names the meaning of Right title, Claim & Interest as above mentioned in that which we have Rec'd both from Indians & English-also that Land that the WRIGHTS now enjoy which was sold them by Saybrook town before the last Running of the divided Line between Saybrook & Killingworth the S'd WRIGHTs are quietly to enjoy according to the tenor of the Deed of Sale which they had from Saybrook without any molestation from the Town of Killingworth or any of them their Heirs or Successors. "This Deed of Conveyance is made over to Mr. Edward GRISWOLD, Samuel BUELL, John KELSEY, In the behalf & for the use of the Town of Killingworth by us Samuel JONES John CHAPMAN & John WHITTLESEY.

          "In Witness whereof we have hereunto set out hands and Seals this 12th Day of Sept. A. 1684.

          "Samuel JONES [Seal]
          "John CHAPMAN [Seal]
          "John WHITTLESEY [Seal]
          "Signed Sealed & Delivered In the presence of us
          " "Joseph BLAGUE
          "Ephriam HOWARD.

          "Samuel JONES, John CHAPMAN & John WHITTLESEY, each & all of them this 12th Day of Sept. 1684 Declared the above Instrument to be their act and Deed Before me.
          "Robert CHAPMAN, Assistant."

          The Town of Killingworth "by their vote March ye 16th 1687 ordered that the Recorder should make Record of what was Disbursed for the Purchase of Land within their Township of Saybrook town & the names of those that Did Disburse monies to the sd Purchase & the Respective Sums that each man paid-this to be entered in the book of Record for Land."

          It appears from page 138, vol. I, that the following persons "Did Disburse money for Saybrook purchase," viz.:



The following is from Vol. I, p. 176, Killingworth Records:

          "We the underwritten being appointed by the Court to run the line of the bound between Saybrook & Haddam & betwixt Saybrook & Killingworth & the West line of Killingworth unto Guilford bound have attended the same as followeth-first we begun betwixt Saybrook & Haddam at an Oak tree by the River Side before agreed on by both Towns which tree is marked with the Letter H on the North Side & with the Letter S on the South Side from whence (record ends suddenly).

          "April ye 4th A. D. 1699-We whose names are underwritten being appointed to Run the line between Guilford and Killingworth have agreed that the heaps of Stones that we have this day made in the branch of Hammonasset River against a White oak tree with a heap of Stones at the Root of it & a stone in the Crutch of it s'd heaps of Stones it is the North easterly corner of Guilford & the said Branch to be the Dividing Line between s'd Towns according to the Running thereof till s'd branch falls into the Sea.

          Joseph HURD Sen'r.
          William STEVENS.
          Thomas CRITTENEDN.
          Samuel BUEL.
          John Crane.

GRANT OF LAND TO SOLDIERS.



"May 21, 1699-The town by their Vote granted to those that wer out soldiers in the Indian War, to wit Nathaniel HAYDON; John GRISWOLD; John HULL; Daniel KELSEY; Joseph HULL; Samuel STEVENS; John SHETHAR; Samuel SHETHER; Daniel CLARK; John LEE; John MENTER; Six acres of Land a piece in the wood without the two miles bound & to be taken up in two Fields the one on the westerly Side of the Indian River & the other on the Easterly Side of the S'd River which Land is not to prejudice no former grant or Highways nor to hinder or Debar any coming into or carting from either of the Cedar Swamps.

          "Also Timothy Stevens is granted Six acres of Land he taking it up with the foresaid persons which Land is to be taken up & laid out within half a year.

          "That whereas the Town Did in the year - 88 grant unto that went out Soldiers in the Indian War Six acres of Land apiece whose names are Record & they having upon Reasons given neglected their taking of it in the Time prefixed them, the Town do now Confirm their grant unto them-provided they take it up within two months after the Date hereof & in two equal fields & all other terms as is upon Record at a Town Meeting Dec'r 21-1696."

INDIANS.



Previous to the settlement of Killingworth by the whites, the Indians had nearly all left, leaving only a few wigwams of superannuated ones and females who had not a disposition to remove with those of the fighting braves who had not been slaughtered in previous battles with the whites. The first settlers were not molested by Indians. They ordered two forts built in the town, and a draft on all above 16 years of age to assist in the work, but tradition says they were not molested. The occupants of the wigwams at the head of the harbor were too poor and needy to be quarrelsome. A vote was passed in town meeting forbidding the letting of land to an Indian.

          Tradition says the last Indian resident was Elsie, who had her home under the edge of a bluff near the shore of Duck Island Bay, near a clump of rocks still known as "Elsie's Rocks." She had two sons, who went to sea and were both lost before her death. Elsie did September 20th 1802.

TRACES OF THE INDIANS.



On the farm now owned by Mr. GAYLORD, situated near the wharf in Clinton, there is a field which was evidently used by the Indians both as a camping ground for the living and a burial place for the dead. Here may be found numberless shells that were deposited before the pale face looked upon the home of the Hammonassetts. There were spots in this locality where the grass grows greener and more luxuriantly than in other places. These plats were undoubtedly fertilized by the refuse from the Indian wigwams that once stood thereon.

          Some years since, when the turnpike was cut through this lot near the shore, several skeletons were exhumed, and quite recently Mr. GAYLORD, in digging post hole, came upon the remains of what was supposed to be an aborigine. Large quantities of shells reduced very fine cover the cultivated fields on the north and east sides of Clinton Harbor at this day. Their extent and number indicate long residence and numerous persons; broken so fine that thousands of years must have been counted in the process of grinding. Over these fields the busy workmen tread, unconscious of the tribes that sleep beneath their feet.

          The Hammonassetts dwelt in this section of the country, and there is reason to believe that they frequented the northern part of Killingworth more in winter than in summer. They preferred to hunt the wild animals of the forests when their fur was in the best condition. There is a cave in the northern part of the town where an Indian used to live. They are also said to have lingered much around a wild granite ledge in the picturesque valley in which Mr. Henry KELSEY now resides. The sides of this ledge are nearly perpendicular, and there are great fissures in the formation, one of which is upwards of 50 feet in length, and leads through the ledge from the west side in a southerly and upward direction to the southeast corner of the eminence. In the deep recesses of the ledge the wild men of the forest were wont to hide themselves.

          A plain, northeast of Mr. Martin LORD's residence, was also a dwelling place of the Indians. Mr. Henry HULL has in his possession a large stone ax weighing three and three-fourths pounds which was found about sixty years since in the Southwest District.

          Among the last of the Indians seen in this locality was one "Jim SOOBUCK." His children are said to be buried in the "Old Pine Orchard" graveyard, in the western part of Killingworth.

BRIDGES AND HIGHWAYS.



The following extracts from the records in relation to bridges and highways are of historical importance as showing how the were constructed and maintained in olden times:

          "June 27th 1674.-The committee that was chosen by the town to Join with the Towns men to order & settle the Highways in the Town how they shall be made and maintained Doe now order it as follows:

          "1. All that have Land lying on the westerly Side of the Bridges beyond Joseph WILCOX house Lot are to make and maintain their bridges. "2. All that have Land westerly from the Second Cove of meadow Commonly Called Eleazer's Cove are to make and maintain their own Highways & Bridges.

          "3. All that have Land Either upland or meadow in Natha'l HUYTONS quarter Shall make & maintain all the Highways that lead to their land.

          "4. All that have either upland or meadow lying in the field commonly called the Neck are to make and maintain the Highways & Bridges so far as they Lead to their Land.

          "5. All that have either upland or meadow in the Quarter commonly called the Planting field quarter & also for both the Hammocks are to make and maintain all the Highways & Bridges so far as they lead to their Land.

          "6. The true intent and purpose of these orders is that no man Shall be Compellable to make or mend any Highway or Bridge beyond his own Land- "also it is ordered that when two or three men that are Interested in any quarter chosen by men Interested in that quarter Shall Judge it necessary to have the Highways or Bridges mended giving Convenient notice at least three Days warning & if any man Refuse or neglect to attend the Service Shall forfeit three Shillings for every Day's neglect of a man--& of a team Six Shillings which fine shall be employed by the men Interested in each quarter to hire others to work in the s'd Highways.

          Edward GRISWOLD
          Thomas STEVENS
          Henry CRANE
          Josias HULL.

          The bridge across the Hammonassett River, between Guilford and Killingworth, ordered built by General Court, May 14th 1674.

          May 13th 1675.-The court further ordered the bridge to be finished by December: "Their bounds meeting in the Middle of the river, To be built by joint charge. By joint charge is to be understood that Guilford is to pay one half and Killingworth the other half of the charge."

          Menunketesuc Bridge.-October 13th 1692.-"Whereas complaint is exhibited to this court, of difficulties, and obstructions in the country Roads, between the towns of Saybrook and Kenilworth. This court having considered the premises, and seeing the absolute necessity of a speedy redresse in the case, Do order and appoint Cat John GRAVE and Lieut Steven BRADLY, of Guilford, John WHITTLESEY Senr and John PARKER Senr of Saybrooke, Saml BUELL Senr and John GRISWOLD of Kenilworth, to be a committee to survey, and settle the said road in as straight a line as they can from SayBrook Mill via Lieut JOANES Mill, to above sayd Samuell BUELLS house in Kenilworth, or in the most convenient place they can find for the end aforesaid and Kenilworth people to make for the end aforesaid and Kenilworth people to make and maintain the bridge over Eight Mile River in what place sayd Committee shall appoint, and the sayd road being settled by the Committee SayBrook and Kenilworth people are hereby ordered and required forthwith to clear the sayd road, and marke it out in their respective bounds according to law & The charge of the above sayd Committee to be equally defrayed by sayd townes of SayBrook and Kenilworth."

          March 6th 1693.-"The return of the committee for the laying out of the road or way between Saybrook and Kenilworth being read in Court, was approved by the Court, and the Court expect that they make the bridge and way, passable, as soon as maybe."

          In 1795, "Some of East Guilford Petitioned that they might have liberty to be joined to Kellingworth so as to pay the minister* [Abraham PIERSON was then preaching in Kenilworth.] of sayed Kellingworth."

          The town line between Kenilworth and Saybrook was fixed by Nathaniel WHITE and Deacon John HALL (both of Middletown), in 1674.

          Hammock River Bridge.-May 14th 1697.-"Samuel BUELL member of Genl Court Presented Petition of John KELSIE, Will BARBER, Will STEPHENS, Robert LANE & Henry FARNUM in behalf of some proprietors, That a Cart Bridge and Sluice be built upon the River, called the Hamock River to the charge of such persons who might be benefited thereby, To be determined by the Select men of said town of Killinsworth. This court considering that it may be of common benefit to those whose lands are upon the said River do grant their Petitions. And that all persons in the judgment of intelligent men who shall be benefited thereby shall bear an equal proportion of the charge" (now called Water Side Bridge).

          The first petition for the above bridge was in 1696, Samuel BUELL was member of the General Court. At this day it would seem unwise to pursue such a narrow policy as to make those who owned land (upland and meadow) on the Hammock, both Great Hammock and Little Hammock, pay for the above bridge. Too much of the above policy has been manifested in Clinton from time to time ever since. No community can grow that gets its impulses from pure selfishness. This bridge is now a great public thoroughfare to a tract of upland and salt meadow, and an approach to the east side of Clinton Harbor for clams, oyster, and fish.

OLD GRIST MILLS.

Three was an old grist mill in the Southwest District, near where Cooper's paper mill now stands.

          GRANT TO JOHN ELDERKIN.-"Also upon consideration of building a mill convenanted and agreed four acres of meadow southwesterly from the mill & on the South Side of Manuqweset River being more or less in bredth of the northeast and 7 Rod at the southwest and 15 Rod and then added in length 14 Rod more Westerly in Bredth Easterly 12 Rod Westerly 20 Rod Bounded every way by the common."

          It thus appears that a mill privilege was granted to John ELDERKIN in 1724. This may have been either on Indian river or where the Clinton paper mill now stands.

FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR.



Captain Peleg REDFIELD commanded a company of soldiers in this war. The muster roll of this company is given below. The company was raised in the north society of Killingworth, and was made up of residents of this and adjoining towns. Captain Redfield died on his way home from Canada, at Stockbridge, Mass., December 5th 1760. The State paid the expense of removing his remains to his home.

          Return of Capt. Peleg REDFIELD's company for the opening of the campaign of 1759: Peleg REDFIELD, captain; George NETTLETON, 1st lieutenant; Abraham TYLER, 2d lieutenant; Edward SHIPMAN, ensign; Theophilus REDFIELD, Ezra CRANE, and William MITCHELL, sergeants; Josiah WATEROUS, clerk; Thomas DIBBELL, John MARVIN, Thomas FRANCIS, and Reuben CLARK, corporals; Miles WRIGHT and Ezekial HULL, drummers; privates, Phineas BAILEY, Joseph BATE, Daniel BALE, John BAILEY, Permit BOASSEY, Robert BRADFORD, Moses BALDWIN, Amos BUSHNAL, Job BULKLEY, Cornelius CHATFIELD, Amos CARTER, Joshua CONE, Thomas CONKLIN, Zachary CLARK, Thomas CLARK, Daniel CLARK, Joseph CLARK, William CRAMER, Daniel COMSTOCK, Elijah DEE, Jeremiah DOWD, James DONE, Israel DONE, David FRANKLIN, Nathaniel Sikes FURNOW, Samuel GRIFFIN, Mark GRAVES, George HULL, William HULL, Samuel HULL, Asa JONES, Eliezer ISBELL, Elihu JOHNSON, Ebenezer HORTON, Phineas PERSON, Peter KELSEY, Russell LANE, Levi LEET, William LEWIS, Edward MERREL, Mitchell MERRET, William PRATT, Caleb PRATT, Thomas PRATT, Ithamar PELTON, Samuel PARMELE, Nathan PELTON, Azariah PRATT, James REDFIUELD, Nathan REDFIELD, Jonah RUTTY, Samuel STEPHENS, Christopher TULLY, Gershom TULLY, Charles TRYAL, Isaac THOMAS, Joshua WRIGHT, Peleg WILLARD, John WILCOCKS, Eliakim STEPHENS, Abraham STEPHENS, Jonathan SHIPMAN, Nathan STEPHENS, Thomas STEPHENS, Nehemiah STEPHENS, James STEPHENS, Elijah STEPHENS, Jonathan SMITH, Josiah SCOVEL, EDMUND SNOW, Andrew TULLY, EZRA TYLER, Nathaniel WRIGHT, Stephen WAREROUS, Samuel WEBB, Isaac WILLIAMS.'

          "Killingworth, Apr. 28th 1759.

          "Then mustered the Second Connectticut Regiment, Capt. Peleg REDFIELD's company; the Captain, two Lieutenants, one Ensign, Five Sergeants, two drummers, and eight-one effective men, ran, and file.

          "N. WHITNEY, Colonel,

          "and Muster Master to 2d Connecticut Regiment."

REVOLUTIONARY WAR.



The great object in the year 1774, was to inform the people of their just rights, and of the tyrannical attitude Great Britain had taken against them, and to prepare them for the war, which seemed inevitable. To do this, in Connecticut, the holding of town meetings in the various towns was considered the most expeditious way of reaching the masses, and was adopted. Of the town thus patriotic, Killingworth was among the first, as her first town meeting for this object was holden March 20th 1774. The record of this meeting, and the subsequent ones for the same object, is as follows:

          "At a town meeting holden the 20th March 1774 Elnathan STEVENS Esq. Was chosen Moderator, Theophilus MORGAN and Mr. George ELIOT was chosen to attend the Congress to be holden at Middletown and make return of their dowings at the next town meeting."

          "At a town meeting holden the 13th day of September 1774, Martin LORD, Aaron ELLIOTT, Capt. Samuel CRANE, Caleb BALDWIN, Capt. Nathan GRISWOLD to be a Committee of Correspondence with such other committee as shall be appointed by other towns."

          At a town meeting legally warned and holden on the 13th day of December 1774, Elnathan STEVENS was chosen Moderator, Col. Aaron ELIOT was chosen Town Clerk. The inhabitants of said Town, taking into consideration the abridgement of the natural and constitutional rights of the American Colonies by the operation of several late Acts of the British Parliament and the operation and resolves of the constitutional Congress holden in the City of Philadelphia on the 5th day of September A. D. 1774, being read and the Acceptance and Recommendation of the Honorable House of Representatives of this Colony convened at New Haven on the 2d Thursday of October last, being deliberately considered, recommending the same to be strictly adhered to, by the several towns in this Colony, it was there-upon

          "Voted: nemine Contradicente, that this town do approve of the said Association and the several Resolves therein included, and do hereby recommend the same to be duly observed in this town and accordingly it was Voted, That Docr Samuel GALE, Benoni HILLARD, George ELIOT, Caleb BALDWIN, Elisha CRANE, and Aaron STEVENS be a Committee of Correspondence and inspection and they are requested to use all proper measures to see that the resolves of said Congress be faithfully observed and that they publish the names of any who shall presume to violate the same. "And then this meeting was adjourned to Prox day in April next. * * * * * "

          "At a Town Meeting holden at Killingworth this 22d day of June 1775 Mr. Stephen WILCOX was chosen Moderator for this meeting. Mr. Daniel REDFIELD, John WILLCOX, Capt. Stephen LANE, Samuel SHEATHER were chosen in addition to the former committee of correspondence.

          "At a town meeting holden in Killingworth March 27, 1777, Doct Benj GALE was chosen moderator for s'd meeting. Voted: That the town would abide by the stating of all the Articles that are enumerated in the Act of Assembly, agreeable to the request of the Governor and committee of safety-and that the town will supply the soldiers that are or shall be enlisted into the Continental service with all those articles that are mentioned in the orders from the Governor and Committee safety agreeable to said orders-Voted likewise that Messrs. John PIERSON Esq. Dea. Abd WILCOX, Capt. Stephen LANE, Mr. George ELIOT Lt. Noah LANE, Lt. Martin LORD be a committee for the above service. Voted. That 40s. should be given to each soldier that has or shall enlist into service over and above what is already given for the encouragement of soldiers in this town, and that two pence on the pound be granted for raising of said sum, and to be made on the list of the year 1776.

          "At a town meeting holden at Killingworth March 19 1788, George ELIOT CHOSEN MODERATOR OS SAID MEETING. Capt. Stephen LANE, Benone HILLARD, Elisha LANE, Levi HULL, Daniel TOWNER, John SPENCER, Daniel PARMALEE was chosen a committee to procure cloathing for the soldiers according to the Resolution or Requisition of the General Assembly.

          "At a town meeting holden in Killingworth December 8, 1778. George ELIOT Esq'r was chosen moderator of said meeting. Col. Aaron ELIOT was chosen Town Register. Mr. Benj. CARTER, Capt. William MORGAN, Mr. John SPENCER, Mr. Daniel PARMELEE, Mr. Josiah REDFIELD, Mr. John LANE, Daniel TOWNER, Capt. Josiah BALDWIN & Ezra NETTLETON chosen a committee of supply."

          At a town meeting holden the 22d 1779. George ELIOT was chosen moderator. A committee appointed to provide for the soldiers in the Continental Army, John WILCOX, Capt. Silas KELSEY, Stephen WILCOX, Simeon WILCOX, Jonathan KELSEY, Cornelius PARMELEE, Gurdon HULL, Samuel REDFIELD,"

          "At a town meeting holden in Killingworth Decem. 14, 1779, Esq'r George ELIOT was chosen moderator. Col. Aaron ELIOT was chosen Town Register. Amos KELSEY, Elisha KELSEY, Jonah BUELL Jonathan KELSEY, Israel STEVENS, John PIERSON Esq., was chosen a Committee to supply Soldiers' families."

          List of soldiers who marched from Killingworth for the relief of Boston, etc., in the Lexington alarm, April 1775: Samuel GALE, captain; Job WRIGHT, ensign; Joseph HILLIARD, Nath's REDFIELD, sergeants; privates, Levi KELLY (KELSEY), Joseph WILSON, Reu. HURD, Jesse CONE, Titus TEAL, Timothy TEAL, Nathan WRIGHT, John BUELL, Sam'l LEWIS, James WRIGHT, Samuel WILCOX, Dan CHAPMAN, Giles WILCOX, John CHATFIELD, Martin REDFIELD, Job BUELL, Jonathan MURRY, Elnathan HURD, Robert WILKINSON, Reuben BUEL, George NETTLETON, David LEBARVA; number of days in service, six; billeting, at 1s. 6d. per day, total cost, 23 2s. 2d. (See REDFIELD Genealogy).

          It is said that the town of Killingworth furnished 100 men in the Revolutionary war.

OCCUPATION OF THE SETTLERS.



The occupation of the early settlers of Killingworth mainly agriculture. To obtain something to eat and something to wear that was their first pressing need. There is no evidence or tradition that any one of them had money to pay for the necessaries of life. Each family supplied its own needs for food and clothing. They first supplied its own needs for food and clothing. They first sowed the flax, and when ripe pulled it by hand, threshed out the seed, rotted it, broke, dressed, hatchelled, spun, and wove it, before a shirt could be had. The sheep must grow, the wool be sheared, picked, carded, spun, woven, and the cloth cut and made up before a coat could be had. All this was done in the family. There were no factories and no machines; all the work must be done by hand. It is said that they caught oysters and carried them to Hartford, where they were exchanged for rye for bread, and such other things as they needed. They had plenty to eat, for there were oysters and fish in abundance. Shad were so plenty, after nets were made to catch them, it was considered almost a disgrace for well to do families to place them on their tables. The poor could have them.

          The first settlers were not fortunate in securing distinguished men to settle with them. Some who had agreed to unite in the enterprise failed to come. Matthew ALLEN, a prominent magistrate of Windsor, and afterward of Hartford, was expected, and a home lot was reserved for him, but he did not come. They were eminently poor men. It was 40 years before they obtained an act of incorporation, with town privileges, but they had church privileges in 1667.

          The grand list of the town in 1689, 26 years after the settlement, was 2,430; in 1693 it was 2,218; in 1696, 2,404; in 1698, 2,785; in 1703, 3,299; in 1710, 3,875 19s; in 1714, 4,102 1s. 8d.; in 1716, 4,225 14s.

          About 1710, Mr. Robert Carter settled in town and commenced building vessels. Not many years afterward a market for wood and timber was opened, especially for staves, hoops, ship timber, etc. Trade with West India sprung up, and with it a demand for horses, cattle, sheep, fowls, hay, and oats.

          The growth of the town from 1720 to 1776, was very satisfactory, as the old houses still standing, built during that period, show and the little old comfortless houses that were built earlier, and were standing 60 years ago, also show.

          The largest estate probated previous to the year 1800 was that of Theophilus Morgan, in 1788. This estate inventories a little more than $15,000.

          Shipbuilding continued to flourish. It was mostly confined to coasting vessels of less than 100 tons, but five ship-rigged vessels and several brigs have been built here at different times. Up to 1840 the reputation of Killingworth for producing small vessels for the coasting trade was unexcelled. The master builders best remembered were Elias CRANE, who died August 15th 1829, aged 68; Samuel BUELL, who died July 29th 1852, aged 84; Benjamin DEWOLFF, who died September 5th 1863, aged 79; Daniel BUELL, who died April 18th 1859, aged 66; and Samuel BUELL jr., who died January 8th 1881, aged 84. After the retirement of these builders the business suddenly stopped, and has not been revived.

          Fishing with wiers (brush and stakes) was one of the early methods of catching fish. These wiers were built on sand bars, bare at low tide, something after the manner of pound fishing at the present day. Short seines were used as early as 1740, and were enlarged from time to time. They were first used in the harbors and creeks, but, about 1800, longer ones were made to sweep off into the Sound. Fine mesh seines were introduced about 1806, to catch white fish for manure. This method of manuring land more than doubled the production of crops, and gave life and profit to agriculture, until the establishment of large factories to convert the fish into oil. Agriculture is not encouraging at the preset time, although the owner of land, having good health, great ambition, and no mortgages, can live and prosper.

          Commerce and navigation were profitable in Killingworth as early as 1740, and probably before, and continued to flourish till the commencement of the Revolution. Great Britain ruled the sea then, and stopped the market for staves and hoops, and cattle, horses, and sheep. As early as 1777 the American army needed supplies, and the farmers of Killingworth had a market for all they could produce of hay, grain, beef, and port.

          At the close of hostilities, and before the British Army evacuated New York city, the trade with New York commenced, and was very remunerative for the time. Before the war of 1812 commenced this trade for Killingworth had become unproductive, and continued so until 1815, when the market for firewood, fowls, eggs and vegetables became profitable, and as many as six vessels (market boats), of 40 to 60 tons, found steady employment from Killingworth to New York. This continued until about 1840. The opening of the Great West, and the construction of railroads, destroyed all this trade, and for 20 years past scarce a vessel loads at the wharves where such activity one prevailed, unless it be with railroad ties. Some hay and straw pressed in bales are marketed in Newport, R. I., at the present day. The ocean attracts young men, and has employs many of them.

          The town formerly furnished all the mechanics necessary to build vessels: carpenters, riggers, painters, and sail makers. In 1884, only the remnant remains of what was once a profitable occupation.

CIVIL LIST.



Representatives.-The Representatives for Killingworth from 1670 to the present time have been:

          Edward GRISWOLD, 1670 M., 1670 O., 1671 O.-1680 M., 1681 M., -1682 O., 1683 O. -1685 M., 1686 M., 1686 O., 1689 M.; Henry FARNUM, 1670 M., 1670 O.; Thomas STEVENS, 1671 M., 1683 O.; William KELSEY, 1671 M.; Josiah HULL, 1671 O., 1574 M.; Henry CRANE, 1675 M., 1676 M., 1677 M., 1678 M., 1679 O., 1680 O. - 1682 M., 1683 M., 1684 M. - 1685 O., 1587 O., 1691 M., 1693 M. -1696 M., 1700 O., 1701 O., 1702 O.; Joseph GRISWOLD, 1689 O.; Samuel BUELL, 1692 O., 1793 O., 1696 O., 1697 M., 1698 M., 1698 O., 1700 M., 1701 M., 1702 M., 1704 M., 1704 O., 1706 M., 1708 M., 1710 O., 1711 O., 1714 M., 1715 O., Deacon GRISWOLD, 1697 M.; John GRISWOLD, 1697 O., 1698 M., 1699 M., 1699 O., 1701 M., 1702 M. -1704 O, 1707 O. -1709 M., 1710 M., 1711 M., 1712 M., 1712 O., 1715 O., 1716 O.; Robert LANE 1699 M., 1700 O. 1701 O., 1703 O., 1705 M., 1706 O., 1707 M., 1709 O., 1711 O. -1715 M.; John CRANE, 1703M., 1705 M. -1707 O., 1708 O., 1709 O.; 1710 M.; John KELSEY, 1713 M., 1714 O., 1715 M., 1716 M., 1717 O., 1718 O., 1721 M., 1721 O., 1715 M., 1725 O.; Peter WARD, 1713 O., 1718 M.; John LANE, 1716 M., 1717 M., 1718 M., 1719 M., 1720 M., 1720 O., 1722 M., 1723 M. -1724 O., 1725 O., 1727 O, 1728 O., 1731 M. -1734 O., 1736 M. -1737 O., 1738 O., 1739 O., 1740 O., 1741 O. -1743 M.; Josiah STEPHENS, 1717 M., 1719 O. -1720 O., 1724 O.; David BUELL, 1717 O., 1718 O., 1719 M., 1819 O., 1721 M. -1723 M., 1724 M., 1725 M., 1726 M. -1728 O., 1730O., 1731 M., 1733 O. -1736 M., 1739 M., 1739 O.; Abram PIERSON, 1722 O., 1723 O., 1728 M., 1731 O.; Joseph WILCOX, 1726 M., 1730 M., 1738 M., 1741 M.,1742 M., 1743 O., 1744 O., 1754 M. -1755 M., 1760 M., 1766 O.; John STEPHENS, 1726 O., 1727 M., 1729 M.,1729 O., 1730 O., 1732 O., 1736 O., 1743 M., 1744 O.; Jonathan LANE, 1729 M. -1730 M., 1737 O., 1738 O., 1739 M., 1742 O., 1743 O., 1744 M., 1745 O., 1747 O., 1748 M., 1749 M., 1750 O., 1752 M. -1753 M., 1755 O.; Daniel GRISWOLD, 1732 M., 1733 M., 1733 M., 1735 M., 1735 O.; Elnathan STEPHENS, 1737 M., 1741 M., 1744 M., 1745 M. -1747 M., 1748 O., 1749 O., 1750 M., 1751 M., 1753 M., 1757 M., 1757 O., 1758 O., 1759 O., 1761 M., 1761 O., 1763 O., 1767 O., 1771 M., 1771 O., 1772 O. -1772 O., 1774 O., -1775 O.; Isaac KELSEY, 1740 O., 1745 M., 1746 M., 1746 O., 1747 O. -1748 O., 1749 O., 1750 M.; Nathaniel PARMELEE, 1741 O.' Benjamin GALE, 1747 M., 1749 M., 1753 O., 1754 M. -1755 O., 1756 O. -1758 M., 1759 M., 1759 O., 1760 O., 1763 M., 1764 M., 1765 M., 1765 O., 1766 O., 1767 M., 1769 M., 1770 M., 1770 O.; Nathan KELSEY, 1750 O., 1751 M.; Aaron ELIOT 1752 M., 1759 M., 1752 O., 1766 M., 1767 O., 1771 O., 1772 M., 1783 O., 1785 O.; Joseph ELIOT, 1752 O., 1660 M., 1762 M.; Theophilus MORGAN, 1753 O., 1758 M., 1758 O., 1760 O. -1761 O., 1762 M., 1762 M., 1763 O., 1764 O., 1768 O. -1770 O., 1772 M., 1772 M., 1774 M., 1782 M. -1783 M.; John PIERSON, 1762 M., 1762 O., 1764 M., 1765 M. -1766 M., 1767 M., 1768 M., 1768 O., 1769 O., 1773 O., 1775 M., 1782 O.; John CRANE, 1764 O.; Thomas MORGAN, 1768 M.; Stephen WILCOX, 1771 M., 1772 O., 1776 M.; Hezekiah LANE, 1774 M., 1774 O., 1775 O. -1779 O., 1780 O. -1781 O., 1784 O. -1788 M., 1790 O.; Samuel GALE, 1776 O., 1777 M., 1778 M.; Daniel REDEIELD, 1777 O.; George ELIOTT, 1778 O., 1784 M., 1785 M., 1786 M., 1786 O, 1787 O.; Samuel CRANE, 1779 M. -1780 O., 1784 O., 1787 M., 1788 M., 1788 O.; Aaron KELSEY, 1780 M., 1782 M., 1783 O., 1784 M.; Martin LORD, 1783 M., 1791 O., 1796 O., 1798 M., 1798 O., 1800 M.; Job WRIGHT, 1781 M., 1789 M. -1790 M., 1795 O., 1796 M., 1813 O.; Abraham PIERSON, 1788 O. -1790 M., 1791 M., 1792 M. -1796 M., 1797 O., 1801 M., 1801 O., 1802 O., 1803 O. -1804 O., 1805 O., 1809 M.; Joseph WILCOX, 1790 O. -1794 O., 1797 M., 1801 O.; Joseph WILCOX 2d, 1795 M., 1798 O.; William MORGAN, 1796 O., 1797 O., 1798 M., 1804 O., 1805 M., 1806 O., 1807 O., 1809 M., 1810 M., 1811 O., 1812 M; Houd EDWARD, 1797 M.; Abner GRAVES, 1799 M., 1799 O., 1800 O.; Nathan WILCOX, 1799 M. - 1801 M., 1802 M.; Nathaniel WILCOX, 1803 O., 1804 M; Asa BUEL, 1802 M.; Daniel LANE, 1805 M., 1806 M., 1808 O., 1809 O. -1810 O., 1813 M., 1813 O., 1814 O., 1818 O.; George ELLIOTT 2d, 1802 O., 1803 M.; George ELLIOTT jr., 1805 O., 1806 M., 1808 M., 1808 O., 1809 O., 1810 O., 1805 O., 1806 M., 1808 M., 1808 O., 1809 O., 1810 O., 1812 O., 1813 M., 1818 O.; Austin OLCOTT, 1807 M.; David KELSEY, 1807 M., 1808 M., 1811 M., 1811 O., 1814 M., 1815 M. 0 1817 M., 1822; Austin OLCOTT, 1811 M; David GRISWOLD, 1812 M., 1812 O.; William CARTER, 1814 M., 1815 M., 1815 O.; David DIBBLE, 1814 O.; George CARTER, 1816 M., 1817 M., 1818 M., 1826, 1837; Benjamin HURD, 1817 O.; Benjamin HILL, 1818 M.; Jared ELLIOTT, 1819 M., 1820-22; Moses WILCOX, 1819 M., 1820; John STANTON, 1823-25; Rufus TURNER, 1827; Charles STEVENS, 1829; David WRIGHT, 1830, 1831; Elisha KELSEY, 1830, 1834; David DIBBLE jr., 1832, 1833; Luther HALL, 1832, 1833, 1835; Joseph STANNDARD, 1834, 1835; James A. RATTT, 1836, 1837; David P. KELSEY, 1836; Philander STEVENS, 1837, 1838; Josiah C. CHITTENDEN, 1838; Leonard DAVIS, 1839, 1840; Alanson PRATT, 1839, 1840; Jerry PARMELEE, 1841, 1855, 1856; Jeremiah GRISWOLD, 1841; Nathan GRISWOLD, 1842; Wyllys D. KELSEY, 1842, 1843; Jedediah STONE, 1843, 1844; Julius DUDLEY, 1844, 1845; John WILCOX, 1845, 1846, 1848; Ebenezer GRISWOLD, 1849, 1847; Abel WILCOX, 1847; Joseph J. BUELL, 1848, 1849, 1847; Abel WILCOX, 1847; Joseph J. BUELL, 1848, 1846; Nathan LANE, 1849, 1850, 1862, 1871, 1872; Henry HARRIS, 1850, 1851; Harris r. BURR, 1851, 1852; Henry HULL, 1852, 1853; Chauncey PARMELEE, 1853, 1854; Joseph MADDOX, 1854-56; Abner PARMELEE, 1857, 1858; Henry D. Davis, 1857; Daniel FRANCIS, 1858; Leander R. BLATCHLEY, 1859, 1860; Charles Davis, 1859, 1860; E. H. PARMELEE, 1861; Nathan GRISWOLD, 1861; W. F. WILCOX, 1862, 1863; Hibbert FRANCIS, 1863, 1864; Lyman E. STEVENS, 1864, 1865; Andrew W. BURR, 1865, 1866, 1877; Washington E. GRISWOLD, 1866, 1867; Moses N. GRISWOLD, 1867, 1868; Randolph P. STEVENS, 1868, 1869; C. D. KELSEY, 1869, 1870; U. S. HULL, 1870; Henry KELSEY, 1871, 1872; Isaac KELSEY, 1873, 1874; Horace L. PARMELEE, 1773, 1874; Leverett W. PARMELEE, 1875, 1876; Charles G. RUTTY, 1875, 1880; Sherman E. GRISWOLD, 1876, 1877; Henry HULL, 1878; J. Philander LANE, 1878, 1879; J. C. NETTLETON, 1879, 1880; Augustus W. STEVENS, 1881, 1882; Sydney T. DAVIS, 1881, 1882; David K. STEVENS, 1883, 1884; Myron St. Clare BURR, 1883, 1884.

          Town Clerks.-October 2d 1665, Josiah HULL was chosen town recorder. He held the office till November 5th 1675, and died November 16th 1675. He was succeeded by Henry CRANE, who held the office from November 5th 1675, till December 29th 1707. The next clerk was Capt. John CRANE, who was elected December 29th 1707, and continued in office until his death, October 18th 1711. His successor, John KELSEY, was chosen December 18th 1711, and served till December 8th 1747. Col Aaron ELIOT was clerk from December 13th 1747 til his death, in 1785. Lieut. Abraham PIERSON was chosen February 1st 1786, and continued in office till October 1814, when he resigned. October 3d 1814 Elisha KELSEY jr., was elected. He served 20 years, or until 1834. Gen. Julius DIDLEY was clerk from October 1st 1834 to October 3d 1836. The present clerk is Henry HULL. He was first chosen, October 3d 1836, and has held the office continuously from that time to the present, except one year, from December 1841 to December 1842, when Abner PARMELEE was clerk, and one year from November 1847 to November 1848, when Sylvester W. TURNER held the office.

          Probate District.-The town of Killingworth was set off from the probate district of Saybrook in 1834, and was named Killingworth. In 1838, the name of the district was changed to Clinton. In 1861, the present town of Killingworth was made a district by itself. The judges since that time has been: Henry HULL, 1862-74; Lyman E. STEVENS, 1874-83; Orlando E. REDFIELD, 1883, present judge.

THE PRESENT KILLINGWORTH



The Killingworth of to-day is an offshoot of the original settlers of Main street in Clinton. The grandchildren of the original Nathaniel PARMELE, Thomas and William STEVENS, William and John KELSEY, Joseph WILCOX, Edward GRISWOLD, Samuel BUELL, Josiah HULL, Eleazer ISBEL, Henry CRANE, and John NETTLETON, gradually worked their settlements and homesteads northward, their fathers and grandfathers taking up land for them. The north boundary of Killingworth was for many years "the wilderness," and not until these settlers had subdued the hills and built houses did the line become fixed where it now is. It was a wilderness immediately north of Main street (Clinton) when the first settlers located there, and there was room for their sons to live and subdue the land without going north far from their parents. But the grandchildren pushed their way farther north, taking land set off to their fathers. No one man owned large tracts. Each one (if he owned a homestead) could obtain grants of land through a committee appointed annually by town meeting. So these fathers provided homes for their posterity, paying nothing except the committees' fees. The original territory was divided into small tracts, new comers were voted proprietors without cost, and each of these annual layouts was recorded in the town records and called "divisions." As many as nine divisions are named on the records.

          To say that these men were a hardy race is drawing it mildly, when one goes over this ground and notices the amount of labor expended in felling trees, building fences, erecting shelters for their families, and a house of worship as early as 1735. It is generally admitted that these layouts of land commenced in North Killingworth in 1716.

          The first names were Isaac KELSEY, Esq., Deacons Josiah HILL, Joseph WILCOX, and Daniel BUELL, John WILCOX, Joseph GRISWOLD, Nathaniel PARMELE, Ebenezer HULL, Samuel STEVENS, and Edward RUTTY. Solomon DAVIS, Timothy CHITTENDEN, Theophilus REDFIELD cane and joined them from Guilford, and HARRIS and GRAVES from Saybrook. The above names are still the most prominent in the town. In 1735, they were organized into a parish.

          "The early settlers of the present Killingworth located as follows: Isaac KELSEY on Cow Hill, a few rods east of David LOOMIS; Deacon Josiah HULL on Cow Hill west of Mr. Reuben HINKLEY [now Isaac KELSEY]; Deacon Joseph WILCOX on Tower Hill, just north of Col. Jed'h STEVENS now lived, on Roast Meat Hill; Joseph GRISWOLD *[Son of Edward GRISWOLD, the pioneer of the first settlers.] lived in the Southwest District a few rods east of the house where the late Nathan GRISWOLD lived; Nathaniel PARMELE lived near the house of Andrew BROOKS; Samuel STEVENS lived on Tower Hill near the Chas. WILLIAMS place; Edward RUTTY lived on Parker's Hill; Theophilus REDFIELD lived on Chestnut Hill, Fancy Deacon WILCOX of Tower Hill, Isaac KELSEY of Cow Hill, Theophilus REDFIELD of Chestnut Hill, and Edward RUTTY of Parker's Hill, all going to church, probably on foot, from three to four miles, through a keen, cold, blustering storm, snow, sleet, rain, sitting all day in the old open meeting house without a fire."

          The grand list of Killingworth since the division of the original town in 1838, has been as follows: in 1838, $298,728; 1848, $265276; 1858, $306702; 1868, $289,653; 1878, $230,159; 1883, $225,004.

          The industries of Killingworth, aside from farming, are: one paper mill, capable of making paper to the value of $150 per day; two flour mills, four saw mills, one axe handle factory, one store, one tannery, and one meat market.

          The town records of the original Killingworth are by law kept by the present town clerk of Killingworth. These records are very full and complete, well written, and well preserved.

DEATH OF CAPTAIN JOHN LANE



About the year 1773, Captain John LANE, captain of infantry in the Connecticut Militia, was killed in the lot next south of the Center school house. A stone marked the spot until a few years since. One Joseph WATROUS, who previously lived in Saybrook and who then lived in the old house now standing at the south of the street, in the center of the town, was suspected of having shot Captain LANE. The company were going through the manual exercise. When the order to fire was given, the guns were discharged and Captain LANE fell to the ground and immediately expired. There was not trial. The poor soldiers were dumbfounded; none could tell how it happened. WATROUS denied having committed the dreadful deed, and continued to protest his innocence even on this death bed.

THE MURDERED CHILDREN



About a mile and a half north of the Congregational church, in Killingworth, on the old road which runs parallel with the main street, is a group of dilapidated houses. In one of these ancient dwellings there formerly lived a Mrs. HIGGINS, who was possessed of a most violent temper. October 14th 1779, after having quarreled with her husband, she grasped a common case-knife and cut the throats of her three children. The victims of this bloody tragedy were buried in the old cemetery, in the Union District. There was at that time a belief almost universally indulged in that grass would not grow over the grave of a murdered person; and it is said that for a long time the lot where they laid these children was barren as a desert. The natural sterility of the soil, however, is a sufficient explanation of the phenomenon. Mrs. HIGGINS subsequently resided in the Pine Orchard District, near the Union Church. On that edifice there was a clock dial with stationary hands, and she was heard to say: When those pointers come together and stand at twelve, my sins will be pardoned." She also cherished the strange hope that her husband, who was separated from her would return, and that she would again by the mother of three children in place of her dead offspring. She is reported to have made an attempt on her own life at the time of killing her children, but was prevented by her husband, and in after years always wore a black ribbon about her neck to cover the ugly trace of her savage rage.

          The story of her terrible deed was versified by a local poet, and within the memory of the living the aged women have been heard to sing in a mournful minor the sad song of this unfortunate woman.

          She was doubtless buried in the old cemetery in Pine Orchard district, but her grave, like that of her children, is still unlettered, and the historian looks in vain for the last resting place of her whom in charity he fain would call a maniac, not a murderer.

MR. MARTIN LORD'S LETTER.



The following letter from Mr. LORD to Mr. HULL will be of interest to the reader:

          "Henry HULL, Esq.
The following accounts of my Grandfather, and the witches are entirely traditional. Capt. Aaron KELSEY was in the French War, when we were under England. He was in some engagements, but where I do not know. He was also in the Revolutionary War, and was wounded in the battle of Stillwater, by a buck-shot which struck him a little below the knee. There being a deficiency of officers he was obliged to take command of the left wing of the regiment.

          "Colonel SHIPMAN, of Chester, commanded the right wing. Captain KELSEY was taken to a hospital, and while he was there he lost four children in three days of the camp disorder, or modern dysentery. He has two sons in the Revolutionary war-John and Eli. John was 17 and Eli 16 when they entered the service. Eli was in several engagements. He was at one time in a company of forty engaged with a regiment of British cavalry. The company held their ground until a company of foot soldiers came in sight, when they were obliged to run for their lives. Twenty escaped to a swamp and twenty were killed by the horsemen. He afterward went to Yale College, and died in his senior year. He intended to have fitted for the ministry. He never recovered from the injury he received while running from those horsemen. John KELSEY was probably in several battles, as I have understood that he and Eli were together in the war, but I have never heard so much said of him as of Eli.

          "I have the portrait of Mr. COAN, also the likenesses of both his wives.

          "In regard to the witches, I know nothing about them, only what I have heard, and perhaps that is as much as any one ever knew. I cannot give the name of the one that lived in Lane District.

          "It has been reported, over and over again, about witches living in Chatfield Hollow.

          "The old woman's mane was Goody WEE, and her daughter's name was Betty WEE.

          "There is a cut between the hills a little northeast of the Leander WATROUS place, which has nor nearly or quite a century been called "Goody WEE's Crotch." Undoubtedly, it was named after the supposed witch.

          "It was formerly reported, the above named witches made their neighbors considerable trouble. For instance, they would enter the cream so it could not be worked into butter, and perform, according to the legends, other equally strange feats. It was said a person could not reach the top of Cedar Swamp Hill with a load of rails, as they would all side out of the cart, by the agency of witches. Those things were imagined before Webster's Spelling Book and Beckwith's Almanac were published. The witches aforesaid are declared to have been seen riding through the air on broom sticks. I have never learned how they sat on them.

          "I do not think of anything more in particular to write.

          "Yours Most Respectfully,
          "M. LORD."

EARLY SCHOOL HOUSES AND TEACHERS.



The Center school house was formerly located in a lot now owned by N. E. BARNUM, north o the residence of W. A. HULL.

          There was also a school house on what is known as Tower Hill, near the Saybrook line. There were traces of it within the memory of the oldest inhabitants.

          There was a third school house in what is now the Parker Hill District, near the Chester line. This building was standing about 60 years ago.

          Among the early teachers was Jeremiah HULL. He prepared for college with a view of entering the ministry. At that time three Killingworth boys, who were at Yale, died within a few months, and at the earnest solicitations of his mother Mr. HULL gave up his proposed collegiate course. He taught school at Killingworth and the adjoining towns for 28 seasons. He was deputy sheriff of Middlesex county for over 20 years. He served in this capacity at the execution of LUNG. For a great many years he acted as trial justice, and most of the local suits were brought before him. He died September 21st 1858, aged 82 years.

          His son, Henry HULL, the present town clerk, was one of his father's pupils. He also taught school 28 seasons. He has also served the town in various capacities for the last half century, as selectman, justice of the peace, member of the General Assembly, judge of Probate, and in other offices.

          Francis TURNER also taught in the vicinity of Killingworth for about 30 seasons. Many now living in the town were among his pupils.

          Mrs. Julius BUELL (Miss Rachel EVARTS) was for a long time a teacher in the public schools of Killingworth and won an excellent reputation as a teacher.

AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY



Several of the farmers of Killingworth, about eight years since, formed themselves into an association by the name of "the Killingworth Agricultural Society." In 1880, Deacon L. L. NETTLETON, Washington E. GRISWOLD, R. P. STEVENS, Francis TURNER, Nathan H. EVARTS, and all others who had subscribed to the articles of association, petitioned the Legislature that they be constituted a body politic and corporate by the name of the "Killingworth Agricultural Society." The petition was granted, the society organized under their charter, and Deacon L. L. NETTLETON was appointed president, and continued until the last election, when he declined. David K. STEVENS is now the president. As the society had no building in which to hold their meetings and their fairs, they at once made arrangements to build an Agricultural Hall, and to this end appropriated their share of the State bounty to agricultural societies towards paying the expenses of the building their hall. But some evil minded persons brought the subject before the Legislature, and the society was debarred from having any further benefit of it for that purpose, and they, instead of letting the State have it, divided it among the rest of the agricultural societies. How rich it must have made them!

          But the hall was built, and it is 33 by 56 feet, with basement, and by dint of perseverance and their annual fairs (without any further State aid), the society have paid their bills.

          The basement is now thoroughly cemented, and the society expect to pay this bill as they have their former ones.

WAR OF THE REBELLION.



The action of the town during the Rebellion is shown by the following extract:

          "At a Town Meeting held at the Town House in Killingworth August 7th 1862, for the purpose of taking measures for encouraging enlistments in the Union Army etc. it was

          "Resolved; That for the purpose of encouraging enlistments under the call of the President of the United States, bearing date July 1st A. D. 1862, for three hundred thousand additional troops, the town of Killingworth will pay in addition to all other bounties and compensations, the sum of hone hundred Dollars to each resident of this town who since July 1st 1862, has enlisted or who shall on or before the 15th day of August 1862, enlist into the military service of the United States and be duly accepted to serve for thee years or during the war; and the Selectmen are hereby authorized and directed to pay the volunteers agreeably to this resolution; and borrow such sums of money as may be required for such payment; and the Selectmen are also authorized to extend, at their discretion, the time for enlistments with the benefit of this resolution from the 15th day of August 1862, to the first day of September 1862.

          "Provided; That nothing in this resolution shall be so construed as to authorize the payment of any bounty to persons enlisting after the Quota of this town for the above Three hundred thousand is full."

          At a special town meeting, held in the town hall in Killingworth, August 26th 1862, it was
          "Voted: That the Selectmen of this town be directed to pay to each volunteer who may enlist before the 4th of Sept. at 12 o'clock noon into the militia of this State toward filling the quota of this town to answer the requisition of the President of the United States for nine months, one hundred Dollars, and tat the Selectmen e authorized to borrow on the credit of the town, money sufficient to pay such bounty."

          At a special town meeting, held at the town house in Killingworth, October 25th 1862, it was
          "Voted: That the Selectmen of this Town be directed to pay to each volunteer who may enlist before the 27th of Oct. inst, into the Militia of this State toward filling the quota of this town to answer the requisition of the President of the United States for militia and be turned over to the service of the United States for nine months one hundred Dollars,

          "Provided always; That the Selectmen be authorized to receive Volunteers on the day that they shall be directed by General Orders from the Adjutant General to draft to make up our said quota and give to the said volunteers one hundred Dollars each upon the same terms as above, and tat the Selectmen be authorized to borrow money on the credit of the town to pay such bounty."

          At a special meeting held at the town house, in the town of Killingworth, August 20th 1864, it was
          "Vote: That the Selectmen, or an agent which may be by them appointed, be authorized to fill the quota of this town, or any part thereof, with volunteers or substitutes under the present call of the President for five hundred thousand men, and the Selectmen and Town Treasurer are hereby authorized to borrow money on the credit of the Town to pay for the same. Provided: The sum does not exceed then thousand Dollars, or in ration thereof." CHURCHES

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.



In 1735, the inhabitants of North Killingworth were organized into a parish. January 18th 1738, 50 persons who had been members of the first society were formed into a church society. This was 71 years after the first church, and 22 years after they began to reclaim lands for settlement. Several times the people in the northern part of the town, tried to obtain the consent of the old parish to their organization. At a town meeting, December 12th 1728,

          "Lieut. Joseph WILCOX, Capt. David BUELL, Capt. Josiah STEVENS, Joshia BALDWIN, & Justice Abraham PIERSON * [This Abraham PIERSON was the son of Rector PIERSON, and was called the "Worshipful Abraham PIERSON."] were chosen a Committee to confer with out northern neighbors the Farmers, Respecting said farmers embodying themselves, by themselves, for Public worship & to consider where it may be most commodious & Reasonable for a line to be Run between s'd Farmers and the rest of the Town, for dividing between the respective societies and make report to the next Town Meeting."

          This did not secure a division, and at a meeting held May 7th 1730,

          "Samuel WILCOX, Serg't Theophilus REDFIELD, Lieut. Joseph KELSEY, Ebenezer CRANE & Daniel BUELL were chosen a committee to draw a plan of the town in order to lay before the General Assembly in May the 19th instant. There to object against the memorial of divers of the inhabitants of said Killingworth, commonly called Farmers, requesting that Killingworth may be divided into two Distinct Societies and there to show to the General Assembly the unreasonableness of said Memorial."

          "At a Town Meeting January ye 15th A. D. 1730-31 it was voted that our northern inhabitants shall join with us in building a new Meeting House, and that shall be Built by a Rate or Rates particularly by themselves, and when said Northern Inhabitants shall be sett off, and be qualified according to law to be a Society by themselves & shall be a Building a Meeting House for themselves, that then, we that Remain, that is to say, the old society shall Reimburse back again that there will be our new Society as much as the said new Society shall disburse toward building the sd meeting house in the Old Society."

          The above resolution paved the way for a peaceable separation in religious and school matters. The first meeting house was 58 feet long and 30 feet in breadth, and was so far finished as to be occupied in 1743.

          Rev. William Seward, the first minister, was born in Guilford, July 27th 1712, and was ordained December 27th 1737. The ordination council consisted of "Revr Elders" Phineas FISK, of Haddam, Jared ELIOT, of Killingworth (Clinton), William WORTHINGTON, of Saybrook (Westbrook), Abraham NOTT, of Saybrook (Centerbrook), Thomas RUGGLES, of Guilford, William HART, of (Old) Saybrook, and Jonathan TODD, of East Guilford. Mr. SEWARD died February 5th 1782. During his ministry, 158 were received into full communion, 466 owned the covenant, 1,343 were baptized, and 307 couples were married.

          The second minister was Rev. Henry ELY, born in Wilbraham, Mass., May 16th 1755. He was educated at Yale College, and was a class mate of Noah Webster. He was ordained September 25th 1782. His salary was, by agreement, to be 300 as a settlement, and 90 yearly. In addition to this it was voted to give 60 loads of wood. He was dismissed February 12th 1801. Mr. ELY built the house where Mr. O. E. REDFIELD now resides. It was voted, December 2d 1782, "that Lieut. Roswell PARMELEE, Josiah PARMELEE, and Sergt. Joseph GRISWOLD, be a committee to get ye timber and hew and frame a house for Mr. ELY."

          The third pastor was Rev. Josiah B. ANDREWS, a native of Southington, Conn. He was a class made of Dr. Lyman BEECHER in Yale College, and graduated in 1797. He was ordained April 21st 1802, and was dismissed April 16th 1811. During his ministry here he received 143 into the church, united 67 couples in marriage, baptized 125, and attended 148 funerals. After leaving Killingworth he went to Perth Amboy, N. J., left the sacred office, studied medicine, and received a diploma from the New York Medical College, in 1816. In 1837 the removed to New York city, and practiced medicine there, preaching occasionally. He died in 1853.

          The fourth pastor was Rev. Asa KING. He was called to Killingworth October 7th 1811, and installed November 20th of the same year. He was dismissed August 1st 1832. The cause which led to his dismission was his devotion to the cause of temperance. For several years the cause had advanced rapidly in other towns, and especially in the south parish (Clinton). A few years later Mr. KING and his total abstinence theories would have been welcomed in this parish. He died December 2d 1849, aged 80 years.

          Rev. Ephraim G. SWIFT was the fifth pastor. He was born in Williamstown, Massachusetts, August 14th 1782, and was installed pastor of this church December 11th 1833. At his own request he was dismissed November 6th 1850. During his pastorate, 198 were admitted to the church, and 296 were baptized. He united in marriage 153 couples, and attended 338 funerals. He died in Buffalo, New York, August 28th 1858.

          Rev. Hiram BELL, the sixth pastor, was born in Antrim, New Hampshire, graduated from Williams College in 1836, studied theology at East Windsor, Connecticut, was ordained at Marlborough, Connecticut, February 17th 1840, and after a pastorate of 10 years at Marlborough, was dismissed, and was installed at Killingworth November 6th 1850. He received 120 into the church, married 76 couples, and attended 250 funerals. Rev. Timothy LYMAN, the seventh pastor, was born in Chester, Massachusetts, graduated from Amherst College, studied theology at Andover, Massachusetts, was installed November 21st 1866, and was dismissed March 1st 1869.

          The Rev. William MILLER was the pastor from March 1869 to May 1879. His ministerial labors were well blessed; many were added to the church. During that period, he wrote and published the much valued Historical Discourse. The society had bought a farm and built on it a parsonage house, and was thereby largely in debt. It was through Mr. MILLER's influence that the debt was paid off by voluntary subscription. It was also during his ministry that he became very intimate with General William S. PIERSON and sister, and thereby they were induced to give the church an organ. It was then absolutely necessary to remodel the orchestra to receive the organ. The improvement of the whole of the interior of the church to its present form and finish, was proposed by Rev. Mr. MILLER and immediately seconded by the ladies, and it was promptly done, and by voluntary payments. The Rev. Mr. MILLER has retired from the ministry, and resides in New Britain, Connecticut.

          The Rev. E. P. ARMSTRONG, a graduate of Yale Theological Seminary, commenced his ministerial labors here January 25th 1880, and was ordained February 15th 1881. His ministerial labors were soon blessed, and a goodly number were added to the church. There was an old debt against the society for building the church edifice. Mr. ARMSTRONG made a movement to have it paid off. He and the ladies put the papers in circulation to raise a certain part of the necessary funds, and the men were to raise the balance, or the ladies' subscriptions should be forfeited. The men were caught; the ladies won; the debt is paid. Rev. Mr. ARMSTRONG was dismissed, at his own request, April 17th 1883.

          Rev. Ira C. BILLMAN commenced his ministerial labors here September 1883, and he continues as acting pastor.

EMMANUEL PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH, KILLINGWORTH



The Episcopal church in this town sprang from a church movement begun in North Bristol, now North Madison, in New Haven county, near the close of the last century.

          Divine service was first held in a school house on Town Hill, in North Bristol. An interest in the worship of the church being thus awakened, the movement extended itself across the Hammonassett River into the north part of the town of Killingworth, where a society was soon formed, which united with the society in North Bristol, and began the erection of a house of worship about 1800.

          The ground on which the church building stands was given by Bezaleel BRISTOL. Among the names of the founders and early members of the church were: Asher FOWLER, Nathan FOWLER, Josiah CRAMPTON, Nathan CARMPTON, Noah HILL, James PARDEE, Bezaleel BRISTOL, Henry DAVIS, Lemuel DAVIS, Joel NORTON, John BLATCHLEY, and Elias ISBELL. The church edifice is a wooden building. When first built its dimensions were 32 by 40 feet. Eleven and one half feet have since been added to its length. When erected, and until 1867, it was called Union Church-a name commemorative of the union of the societies of North Bristol and North Killingworth. The church was occupied in an unfinished condition for many years, and the interior was not completed until the fall of 1816. On Friday, June 6th 1817, the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. John Henry HOBART, Bishop of the diocese of New York. On that occasion 47 persons came forward to receive the apostolic rite of confirmation.

          For nearly half a century, the services were maintained by lay reading. The readers were chosen by the members of the parish, at the annual parish meetings. Occasionally a clergyman would visit them for the purpose of baptizing the children and administering the Holy Communion. Among the clergy who thus came forward to help this struggling parish, were the Reverands Mr. KEELER, Peter G. CLARK, Mr. BURGESS, Mr. TAPPAN, and Mr. JARVIS. For a long time, Rev. David BALDWIN, residing in Guilford, had charge of this parish, in connection with the churches at North Branford and North Guilford. In his report to the bishop, in convention, in 1835, he said: "During the last conventional year, I have officiated eleven Sundays in Union church, North Killingworth, administered the Holy Communion four times, and attended two funerals. Number of souls, as near as I can ascertain, belonging to this parish, 140." The name of Rev. David BALDWIN is still remembered with reverence and affection in this parish. Rev. Frederick SILL also did a good work here. Later on lay reading was conducted by students from the Berkeley Divinity School, Middletown.

          Through the want of the regular ministrations of a clergyman and various other reasons, the church dwindled away; many of the zealous old men had gone to their rest. The few who remained were not able to support a minister, and became almost discouraged. At length, in 1866, through the instrumentality of Mr. William BALDWIN, a son of the Rev. David BALDWIN, an effort was made to revive this old parish. The effort was blessed abundantly, and the services of the Rev. Samuel FULLER, D. D., were procured. He was truly a pastor to the flock, visiting the parishioners at their homes, and sympathizing with them in all their joys and sorrows. The church soon presented a new appearance. A spacious chancel, together with robbing and library rooms were provided, the pews were remodeled and refurnished, the name Union Church was changed to that of Emmanuel Church, and a greater degree of spiritual interest was awakened in the hearts of the people. This continued for the space of six years, when Dr. FULLER relinquished his charge.

          A house for a parsonage and a few acres of land were purchased by the society. Dr. Fuller was succeeded by Mr. William C. KNOWLES, a candidate for deacon's orders, who came to reside in this parish in July 1873, and was ordained to the diaconate, February 21st 1875. Since that time he has continued to live in this parish, and to have the united charges of Emmanuel Church and St. James's Church, Ponset, in the town of Haddam. A tower has lately been erected on the church, in which has been placed a tine tones bell. A beautiful memorial window of stained glass, has been placed in the chancel, to the memory of Bezaleel BRISTOL and his wife, Mary REDFIELD BRISTOL.

          Notwithstanding the church is situated in a sparsely populated region, where no great increase in numbers can be expected, the services are well attended, and the condition of the parish is very encouraging. At the convention this present year (1884) the pastor reported to the bishop for the last conventional year one infant baptized; four persons confirmed; hour admitted to the communion; present number of communicants, 33. He also reported two marriages and nine funerals.

          Among the members of the society (now deceased), who labored long and earnestly for the good of the parish, and held offices as wardens, members of the vestry, etc., appear the names of Leonard DAVIS, Richard BRISTOL, William BLATCHLEY, Jesse TOOLEY, and Henry D. DAVIS. At the annual parish meeting, held on Easter Monday of the present year, the following named persons were elected as officers of the parish: Alfred B. SCRANTON, parish clerk and delegate to convention; Samuel SHELLEY and Amasa P. GRISWOLD, wardens; Chauncey DUDLEY, Albert BRISTOL, Childs FRANCIS, and A. B. SCRANTON, vestrymen.

          The small but comfortable parsonage is occupied by the incumbent, who derives his support form the missionary society of the diocese, and from the voluntary gifts to those to whom he ministers.

          A short distance from the church, on the banks of Hammonassett River, is Emmanuel Church Cemetery, a beautiful plat of ground belonging to the society, laid out by the present pastor as a home for the dead. The first grave opened within this sacred enclosure received the mortal remains of Nathan E. CHATFIELD, who died March 11, 1877, aged 32 years.

METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, KILLINGWORTH

In the year 1840 a few families living in the northeast part of Killingworth began to devise a plan for building a hose of worship. At this time they were associated with the church located in the southwest portion of the town of Haddam.

          They met at the house of David P. KELSEY, on Friday evening, December 11th 1840, to consider the propriety of this plan. There were present at this meeting: Rev. James H. PERRY, Rev. Ebenezer O. BEERS, David P. KELSEY, Ebenezer GRISWOLD, Jeremiah GRISWOLD, Wyllys D. KELSEY, Martin L. BURR, and Charles D. KELSEY. A vote was taken and measures adopted for the advancement of the work.

          This society held successive meetings in various places for consultations in reference to the work, and to procure a tract of land on which to erect the building.

          The house was raised June 24th 1841, on a tract of land owned and presented to the society by Philo PARMELEE.

          September 23d 1841, this house, known as the Methodist Episcopal Church in Killingworth, was dedicated by Rev. Mr. HOLDRICH.

          At this time there were about 24 members, whose names were as follows: David P. KELSEY, Elizabeth KELSEY, Charles D. KELSEY, Olive KELSEY, Huldah F. KELSEY, Elizabeth A. KELSEY, Polly KELSEY (widow of Jonathan), Wyllis D. KELSEY, Charlotte KELSEY, Polly KELSEY 2d, (married N. BURR), Martin L. BURR, Lucretia BURR, Rebecca SMTIH, Jeremiah GRISWOLD, Mary GRISWOLD, Moses N. GRISWOLD, Eliza GRISWOLD, Phineas BURR, Freeborn G. BURR, Harriet A. BURR, Edmund LANE, Nancy N. LANE, and Nathan K. HULL.

          A second revival was enjoyed under the leadership of N. TIBBALS, the second pastor, and a few of the above names were then added, with others not here recorded.

          The name of the minister in charge at the founding of this church was Ebenezer O. BEERS. The names of the ministers that have succeeded him are: Nathan TIBBALS, William BOWEN, Eliphalet P. ACKERMAN, Alonzo B. PULLING, Charles R. ADAMS, George L. FULLER, David NASH, James McBRIDE, Lemuel LEFFINGWELL, Richard D, KIRBY, Henry SCOFIELD, Henry GIDMAN, Isaac SANFORD, E. Harvey PARMELEE, William W. HURD, Charles DIXON, William Frederick WHICHER, William A. MUNSON, William W. EDLER, Charles ELY, Isaac SANFORD, Charles HEMSTREET, Wilbert C. BLAKEMAN, Charles GREEN, James A. DEANE, Charles O. BRAMHALL, Otis SAXTON.

          When this church was established, but few names were upon the church roll; but these names represented men and women of sterling worth and fervent peity. The preachers too were earnest and faithful in their work. Almost every year brought additions to the church in its early life. Nine years passed away and not one of their number had died; but in June 1850, Edmund LANE was removed by death, and January 28, 1851, Oliver BRISTOL died, and a few weeks later, Laura Ann PARMELEE.

          So great have been the inroads made by death, and so painful the task of holding the fortress with so small a guard, that the light force remaining have been disbanded, though still with armor on they are found among the ranks of God's chosen ones, striving for the victory and looking for the crown.

PROMINENT MEN



Abraham PIERSON.
Hezekiah LANE.
Philander STEVENS.
Abner LANE.
Hosmer KELSEY.
Daniel KELSEY.
Rev. Ashel NETTLETON.
Rev. Titus COAN.
Rev. Philander PARMELEE.
Henry HULL.

Blind Counter


INDEX