History Of Rye, NY
Chronicle of a Border Town
Westchester County, New York
Including Harrison and White Plains till 1788
by Charles W. Baird
Anson D. F. Randolph and Company
No. 770 Broadway
FAMILIES OF RYE
II. LATER INHABITANTS - 1700 to 1800 - and THEIR DESCENDANTS.
NEALLY to YEOMANS & CLARKE
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
John Neally is mentioned in 1721 and 1740.
John Newman was of Harrison in 1740.
Thomas Nichols. His 'dwelling house' and 'fulling mill' apparently in Harrison, are mentioned 1720. Walter Nichols mentioned in 1793.
Isaac Oakley, witness in 1747, 1761.
Moses Owen, bought in 1730 the farm of seventy-four acres formerly John Walton's, near the Presbyterian Church at the White Plains. Moses Juior is mentioned 1741.
Andrew Panton was here in 1719.
Edward Palmer, of King Street in 1746, and Marmaduke Palmer of Brown's Point, near White Plains, in 1764, were sons of Sylvanus, of Mamaroneck, where this family established themselves at an early day.
Jared Peck removed early in this (1800s) century from Greenwich, Conn., to Saw Pit, now Port Chester, where his family have since resided. (See Adee.)
Benjamin Pederick, 'late of Rye, now of New York,' in 1744 sold his house and eight and one half acres (where the Seminary now (1870) stand) to Rev. John Smith. He owned this property in 1732.
William Peet of Mamaroneck, in 1743 bought seventy acres on Budd's Neck, which he sold in 1752 to Jonathan Horton.
James Pine is mentioned in 1744. The 'estate of James Pine, deceased,' on the Purchase Road (opposite Mr. Wilson's present (1870) residence, is referred to in 1760. James, perhaps his son, 'late of Nassau island,' in 1763 bought Anne Disbrow's house and land (near the present site of the Presbyterian Church), but removed next year to New Rochelle, where he died in 1766.
Benjamin Pine, in 1767, bought one of the Saw Pit lots.
A third James Pine in 1786 was living on the lower part of King Street; mentioned in 1785-1801.
William Parker married Anna Hyat, July 25, 1792.
Joseph Parker, of Rye, in early life was concerned in one of the most extraordinary cases of 'mistaken identity' on record. At a court of Oyer and Terminer, held in the city of New York, June 22, 1804, 'Thomas Hoag alias Joseph Parker' was indicted for bigamy. The charge was that on the eighth of May, 1797, he was married in New York to Susan Faesch, and on the twenty-fifth of December, 1800, his wife being still alive, he married one Catharine Secor, in Rockland County, N.Y. The first marriage was admitted by the prisoner; and to prove the second, witnesses were brought, who testified that they had seen him constantly for several month in Rockland County, had been present at his wedding, etc.; the woman herself declaring 'that she was as well convinced as she could possibly be of anything in this world and that the prisoner at the bar was the person who married her by the name of Thomas Hoag; that she then thought him and still thinks him the handsomest man she ever saw.' Certain bodily marks, and other peculiarities were specified by the witness, as belonging to Hoag; e. g. a scar on the forehead produced by a kick from a horse, another just above the lip, a mark on the neck, a peculiar gait, a shrill voice, rapid utterance, slight lisp, etc. All these were noticed in the prisoner. For the defence it was shown that Parker, who 'was born at Rye, in Westchester county,' had been engaged in his regular occupation in New York during the whole time of his alleged presence in Rockland County; that he had served throughout the same period as one of the city watch, and had done constant duty, etc. Finally, several witnesses for the prosecution having spoken of a scar which Hoag bore on his foot, the trace of a wound produced by treading on a drawing knife; the prisoner was requested to exhibit his foot to the jury; whereupon 'not the least mark or scar could be found.' The jury, without retiring from the box, reurned a verdict of not guilty. (Manual for the Corporation of the City of New York, by D.T. Valentine, 1866, pp. 746-755.)
Mr. Thomas Pinkney lived here in 1712.
William Proboy bought land in Harrison, 1720; mentioned 1723.
David Provoost (1), of New York, owned the property now (1870) known as Jonas' Wood. He married ____ Rhinelander, and had four sons: John, William, Henry and _____; and one daughter,
William (2) son of David (1) came to Rye, and bought of David Doughty sixty-seven acres of land near Rye Ferry - lately known as the Provoost estate. William T. (3), son of William (2), became the sole proprietor of Rye Ferry. He married Mary Carson, daughter of Robert Carson. She died in 1844. They had seven sons, five of whom removed to Buffalo.
James (4) died in 1868.
Robert (4), who died in 1840.
David (4), Samuel (4) and John (4) now (1870) living.
George, whose family are now residing on Rye Neck, died in 1846.
William (4), second son of WIlliam T. (3), lives near the steamboat landing, on a part of the old farm, the greater portion of which was bought in 1868 by E.B. Wesley.
'Rye Ferry' ceased to exist about sixty years ago. As late as 1810 or 1811, boats - schooners - ran regularly between this place and Matincock Point, on the opposite shore of Long Island.
Josiah Quimby, of Mamaroneck, sold land in Harrison in 1727.
Thomas Rickey lived here in 1720, and is mentioned in 1739-1740. Peter and Jeremiah (the latter called Ricker) enlisted for the French War, 1758-1759.
RITCHIE (perhaps the same name)
William Ritchie was here in 1771.
Gideon Reynolds, witness in 1740.
Thomas Robinson of Rye in 1719, owned land in Harrison, 1727-1740; was living in 1766. William Robinson mentioned in 1736.
Dr. David Rogers.
Israel Rogers, witness in 1722. Jeremiah Rogers was living here in 1723.
Mangle Jonson Roll, mariner, of New York, bought land in 'limp Will's Purchase,' 1713; witness in 1747.
'Rosevelt's store-house,' near Byram River, is mentoned in 1730; 'Rosevelt's land' near Saw Pit landing, in 1732. John Roosevelt and others of New York in 1743 sell to Adam Seaman of Rye for one thousand and two hundred pounds, a grist mill on Byram River, with all lands laid out to them 'at a place called the Saw pitt,' and a farm of fifty acres, on King Street.
John Rusforth, about 1760, bought land on Budd's Neck.
John Ray, witness in 1744-1754.
Nathanael Sackett, witness in 1764.
Thomas Sawyer mentioned in 1739, bought land in 1750-1751 on Budd's Neck, now (1870) owned by J.E. Corning, Esq., and Miss Hubbs.
R. Schofield, 'lot in town field, formerly' his, mentioned 1714.
Henry Scott of Mamaroneck in 1745 bought one hundred and thirty-eight acres in White Plains.
Richard Seaman, witness in 1722, had land in the upper part of Harrison 1723-1730, previous to 1737.
Adam Seaman, 'of North Castle, merchant,' in 1742 bought land in Rye. He owned land at the lower end of King Street in 1749.
Adam Seaman junior mentoned in 1758.
Israel and Silvanus lived at Saw Pit in the latter part of the last (1700s) century,
Isaac Seaman is mentioned in 1800; Drake Seamsn in 1791. Hicks Seaman lived in Harrisn in 1743.
John Saler in 1724 had land in Harrison, on the road from the Purchase to King Street.
Joshua Secor, 1796, and Jonathan Secor, 1802-1803, lived in the upper part of King Street; perhaps of the New Rochelle family of this name. (See Bolton, Hist. Westchester Co., vol. ii. p. 542.)
_____ Seers had property in the town in 1720. In 1746 Bartholomew Sears of Rye sold eighty acres between Mamaroneck River and the White Plains Road. William Suel [Sewall?] Sears lived on Middle Street in 1748.
Daniel Setton, in 1731 had land on the east side of King Street.
George Sexton, of Rye, 'cordwinder,' sold his house and land in White Plains, 1735, to Jeremiah Fowler.
Darke Seymour, mentioned 1788-1813.
John Shaw, witness in 1743. 'Shaw's field' adjoining Godfrey Hain's land on Budd's Neck, is mentioned 1760.
Abraham Slater is mentioned in 1730; John Slater in 1733. John as early as 1758 was living on Hog-pen Ridge; was alive in 1789. Henry Slater of the same locality in 1785, and William Slater in 1796. The name is sometimes written Slaughter.
I. Rev. John Smith, for nearly thirty years minister of the Presbyterian congregation of Rye and White Plains, was the ancestor of a numerous and respectable family in this county. According to the inscription upon his tombstone in the burying-ground at White Plains, he was born in England, May 5, 1702. The following particulars are gathered chiefly from family records:
Dr. Smith married, May 6, 1724, Mehetable, daughter of James and Mary Hooker, of Guilford, Conn., born May 1, 1704m died Sept. 5, 1775, aged seventy-one years. Her father was a son of Rev. Samuel Hooker, a grandson of the famous Rev. Thomas Hooker. Dr. Smith died Feb. 26, 1771, aged sixty-nine years. He had four sons: William Hooker, John, James and Thomas; and eight daughers: Mary, Susannah, Elizabeth, Ann, Martha, Sarah, Mehetable and Abigial.
II. 1. William Hooker Smith, M.D., was the eldest son of the Rev. John Smith, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Rye from 1742 to 1771. He was born March 23, 1725, and studied medicine probably under the direction of his father, who was a physician as well as a clergyman. Dr. W.H. Smith practiced medicine as early as 1753 at Rye. He joined the Continental Army at an early period, and was appointed assistant surgeon in the Pennsylvania line. From July 3, 1778, until the close of the war, he 'acted as surgeon at the post of Wilkesbarre, Wyoming Valley, and was the only officer attached to that post during the war. The garrison consisted of two companies of Regulars, and the militia of the valley.' In view of his services during the war, the claim of his descendants in 1837 to commutation on account of those services was favored by the committee of Congress on Revolutionary claims, Dec. 22, 1837. (Resolutions, etc., relating to the Pay of Officers and Soldiers of the Revolution. Washington: 1838, p. 355.) And in 1838, the heirs of William Hooker Smith, 'who was a surgeon in the War of the Revolution,' obtained compensation from the United States government, 'for five years' full pay.' 'The heirs represented in the settlement were James Smith, William Smith, John Smith and Susannah Gay.' (Information from Treasury Department.) These would appear to have been children of Dr. W.H. Smith. He married Sarah _____. He had a daughter Mary, who married John Barker.
2. John Smith (2), second son of Rev. John Smith, born Aug. 12, 1726; died at Guilford, Sept. 24, 1729.
3. James Smith (2), third son, born Sept. 11, 1739; died July 23, 1754.
4. Thomas Smith (2), fourth son, born March 7, 1741, lived in Greenburg, and left several children.
5. Mary (2), eldest daughter, born Aug. 5, 1728; died in New York, Aug. 28, 1729.
6. Susannah (2), second daughter, born Oct. 5, 1729; died April 20, 1768.
7. Elizabeth (2), third daughter, born Jan. 12, 1731; died Feb. 28, 1797.
8. Ann (2), fourth daughter, born Sept. 26, 1732; died Nov. 2, 1750.
9. Martha (2), fifth daughter, born Nov. 11, 1734.
10. Sarah (2), sixth 'daughter to ye Rev. Docr. John Smith,' born Dec. 26, 1736, married Reuben Wright, and 'deptd this Life Septr. ye 7th 1768, in ye 32d Year of her Age,' (W.P. Cem.)
11. Mehetable (2), seventh daughter, born June 22, 1744, married ____ Purdy, of Greenburg, and had two sons: James and Elisha.
12. Abigail (2), youngest daughter, born March 21, 1746, married Jacob Purdy, of White Plains, and died about twenty-five years ago. (This being pub. in 1871). She had three sons: Henry, Jacob and John; and five daughters: Lavinia, married ____ Horton; Susan, married ____ Hunt, whose son Jacob is still living at White Plains; Winneford, married ____ Ferris; Abigail, married ____ Angevine; and Mehetable, married John Dusenbury,of Greenburg.
John Stevenson, executor with Samuel Purdy, of Joseph Budd's will, in 1722. (Rec., C. p. 62.) Benjamin Stevenson, owned land in Harrison, 1737. Stepehn Stevenson, of Rye, had deceasedc in 1742 (Friends' Rec.); Nathanaeil Stevenson, mentioned 1744, sold land in Harrison, 1749, to James Stevenson, called esquire, in 1745. By an execution on the lands, etc., of James Stevenson, in 1766, his farm of two hundred acresm on the crossroad from Harrison to King Street, was granted to Andrew Lyon. (D. p. 218.)
Peter Stringham, witness in 1726; of Rye in 1730, when Peter Ferris of Westchester released to him all his claim to the tract of land known as Harrison's Purchase. (D. p. 119.)
Joseph Sutton, according to Mr. Bolton, a son of Joseph Sutton who removed from Massachusetts to Long Island. He lived on King Street, within the present (1870) bounds of North Castle, where his descendants the Misses Field now live. The house is said to have been built by Joseph as early as 1710.
Thomas Sutton, mentioned 1718, owned lands on the south side of the road from the meeting-house to King Street in 1723. Joseph Sutton junior, mentioned 1725, and Daniel Sutton, mentioned 1727, were probably his sons. John, witness in 1750, and William, 1771, were perhaps of this family.
John, son of Benjamin, married Ann Marshall of Greenwich, eighteenth of second month, 1761. (Friends' Rec.)
Stephen Talledy was of Rye in 1718, when the proprietors of Peningo neck 'for their goodwill to' him, give 'him 1 acre 1 rood noth of Nathan Kniffen's field.'
John Tallady, witness in 1740.
Nathaniel Taylor, witness in 1712; Moses Taylor in 1715. John Taylor of East Chester, in 1715 bought a house and three acres in Rye from Rev. Chr. Bridge. John was of King Street in 1735-1743. In 1741 he sold to Samuel Wilson junior, his farm of forty-seven acres, 'partly in Greenwich, Ct., but mostly in Rye.' He owned other lands; part of which were sold in 1768, as 'the late John Taylor's eatate.' Joshua, 1739-1751; and Henry, 1743, were brothers, perhaps sons of John.
William Tebowes was of Rye, 1707.
Witness in 1739.
John Thomas, a son of Rev. John Thomas, missionary of the Gospel Propagation Society in Hempstead, L.I., removed to Rye as early as 1734, and in 1739, when he was called esquire, owned land in 'Rye Woods' or Harrison, north of the cross-road to King Street. He was for many years one of the most influential men in this region, 'favoured with all the administration of all offices, civil and military, by the help of which,' says Mr. T. Wetmore in 1761, 'he has procured himself a large interest in the county.' He espoused the cause of his country upon the approach of the Revolution, and became particularly obnoxious to the enemy. He died in prison in New York, May 2, 1777. Judge Thomas married Abigail, daughter of John Sands, of Sand Point, L.I., born 1708, married Feb. 19, 1729; died Aug. 14, 1782. Their children: John, Thomas, William, Sibyl, Charity, Margaret and Gloriana.
II. 1. John Thomas, son of Judge Thomas, born Feb. 3, 1732, was for some time sherriff of Westchester County. He married Phoebe Palmer, and had two sons, Edward and John.
2. Thomas, second son, born June 17, 1745, married Catharine Floyd of Mastic, L.I., born May 9, 1746; died Jan. 15, 1825. Colonel, afterward Major-General Thomas, was a useful officer of the Continental Army. He was appointed colonel of a regiment of militia of Westchester County, formed by order of the New York Convention July 16, 1778, and ordered to repair immediately to Peekskill. (American Archives, fourth series, vol. i. p. 1406.) August 6 he wrote to Washington, from Tarrytown, offering suggestions as to the mode of repelling the British ships. (Ibid. fifth series, vol. i. p. 791.) October 21, his regiment formed part of the General Clinton's brigade at Peekskill. (Ibid. vol. ii. p. 1319.) December 26, he was ordered by Heath to repair to North Casle, 'to protect the well-affected.' (Ibid. vol. iii. p. 1431.) In 1777 he was taken prisoner, and detained for some time. He died May 29, 1824. He had four children: Charles Floyd, died Jan. 3, 1802, in his twenty-fourth year; Gloriana, died young; Nancy, died Feb. 1, 1795, aged nineteen; and Catharine.
3. William Thomas, third son, died young.
4. Sibyl Thomas, eldest daughter, born Jan. 15, 1730, married Abram Field.
5. Charity Thomas, second daughter, born July 3, 1734, married James Ferris, and had a son George, and a daughter Abigail.
6. Margaret, third daughter, born Aug. 1, 1738, married Charles Floyd.
7. Glorianna Thomas, fourth daughter, born Sept. 27, 1740, married James Franklin.
III. 1. Edward Thomas, son of John (2), surrogate of Westchester County, married Anne Oakley. He died May 2, 1806, aged forty-four. She died May 12, 1807, aged forty-five. They had one son, William, who died Aug. 22, 1836, aged thirty-seven.
2. John, son of John (2), died Jan. 6, 1835. Children: Benjamin, who died Sept. 16, 1813; John; Sophia, married ____ Deighton, M.D.; and Catharine, married O. Demilt.
3. George Thomas, son of James Ferris and Charity Thomas, married ____ Post, and had a son Thomas, 'heir of the Thomas property, Harrison.'
4. Abigail, daughter of James Ferris and Charity Thomas, married David Harrison, and had a son David Harrison of New Rochelle. (Pedigree, and account in Bolton's History of Westcheter County, vol. i. pp. 254-158.)
James Thompson, witness in 1770.
Archibald Tilford in 1734 had land in the lower part of Harrison. In 1743, John Budd sold to Archibald Telford of Rye eighteen acres 'on the westerly side of the West Chester old path so called.' In 1745 he bought ten acres adjoining this. He had a son Archibald junior, mentioned 1769, when the father was still living. The son was living in 1795.
Charles Tilford lived on Rye Neck, 1795-1808. The Tilford house stood a little south of Mr. Thomas Haviland's present (1870) house, close to the post-road.
Silas Titus in 1720 sold a tract of one hundred and seventy acres in Harrison to Thomas Tredwell of Hempstead.
John Tompkins was here in 1731. He owned a house and eight acres in Rye, on the west side of 'the country road from Yorck to Boston.' He had deceased in 1741.
Peter Totten, senior, witness in 1739. In Gaine's 'New York Gazette," Feb. 14, 1774, the farm of one hundred and thirteen acres, 'formerly belonging to Peter Totten, Sr., deceased, now in the tenure of David Totten,' is offered for sale. 'It lays binding on King Street, which runs from the Saw-Pit direct to North Castle, about four miles from the Saw-Pit landing, in the township of Rye.'
Robert and James Totten, Sept. 19, 1776, apply to the New York Convention for directions. They have part in a brig lying in Saw Pit Creek, and have applied to the Committee of Safety for a permit to have her loaded at Philadelphia. The committee have refused to grant such a permit, 'lest she may go over to the enemy.' (American Archives, fifth series, vol. ii. p. 401.) Samuel Totten in 1797 was living on the 'upper part of King Street.' Mentioned until 1806.
Thomas Tredwell, of Hempstead in 1720, had deceased in 1722. His land in the upper part of Harrison, three hundred and twenty-one and a half acres, was conveyed in 1722 by his eldest son John of Hempstead, to the younger sons, Thomas and Timothy. Thomas was living in Purchase in 1732; died between 1747-1749. Joseph junior mentioned 1728.
Thomas Star Tredwell in 1737 bought land in Harrison near Rye Ponds from Timothy Tredwell.
John Turner, in 1702 bought Jonathan Vowle's right in the White Plains purchase; and in 1703 bought a 'lotment' of seven acres there from Deliverance Brown, senior. He was living there in 1749.
John Varnell, witness in 1740.
John 'Veal' of Rye, 1708-1709, bought land in the White Plains purchase. Ruth 'of Amboy,' 1710, sold land in that purchase. Aaron Vail, of Rye, 1745, bought of Benjamin Birdsall, ninety acres in Harrison, west of Rye Pond. Aster (?) Veal is mentioned in the deed. Aaron sold this land in 1750 to Jacob Griffin. Thomas Vail, 1764-1771, was living in the 'upper part' of Harrison. Phoebe Vail, of Rye, daughter of Thomas Vail, married Joseph Quimby, fifteeth of eighth month, 1764. (Friends' Rec.) Thomas Vail junior, of West Chester, son of Thomas, married Sarah Carpenter, twelfth of sixth month, 1767. (Ibid).
Jonathan F. Vikers.
Cornelius, witness in 1740-1731; Mary in 1746.
Rev. John Walton.
Samuel Warner, witness in 1739.
William Weeden, of White Plains in 1737; wife Mary. (New York Gazette, March 28, 1737.) Thomas Weeden of Harrison in 1739-1742, bought sixty-five acres near the meeting-house, from Benjamin Birdsall and James Graham. Jane, widow of Thomas, in 1748, sold to 'James Crumwell, of Greenwich,' her husband's plantation; one tract 'northward of frind's meeting house, and north of the road'; another, south of the road and north of the meeting-house. (Rec. C. 227-230.)
Abel Weeks was here in 1724. Joseph Weeks, of White Plains, in 1752 bought Elisha Merritt's house and land there. Elijah Weeks, mentioned in 1771.
Rev. James Wetmore. He ' was the third son of Izrahiah Whitmore, and Rachel Stow,' and grandson of Thomas Wetmore, a native of England, one of the first settlers of Middletown, Connecticut. James was born at Middletown, Dec. 31, 1695 (O.S.); educated at the Saybrook Academy, and at Yale College, where he took he degree of B.A., Sept. 1714, and that of M.A. Sept., 1717. He was ordained to the ministry of the Gospel, Nov., 1718, as first pastor of the Congregationa Church of North Haven, where he continued his labors for about four years. Having arrived at the belief that his ordination was not valid, he resigned his charge, and in 1723 went to England, where he was ordained 'deacon' and 'priest' of the Church of England. While in London he received from the 'Society for the Propogation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts' the appointment of catechist to Trinity church, New York, and assitant to the rector of that church. He returned to America, and in June 1726 was unducted as rector of the parish of Rye, and next year was appointed missionary of the Gospel Propagation Society to this place. Here he remained until his death, May 15, 1760. Mr. Wetmore married Anna Dwight; she died Feb. 28, 1771. They had wo sons: Timothy and James, and four daughters: Alethea, married Rev. Joseph Lamson; Anna, married Gilbert Brudage; Charity, married Joseph Purdy; Esther, married first, David Brown, secondly, Jesse Hunt Esq.
II. 1. James Wetmore, eldest son of Rev. James Wetmore, born in Rye, Dec. 19, 1727, married Elizabeth Abrahams, born March 16, 1730. Children: Abraham, John, Izrahiah, James, David, Josiah, Caleb, Elizabeth, Susannah, Charity, Alethea, Esther. 'He was for many years an influential citizen of Westchester Co. He remained loyal to the Crown during the Revolution. He removed with his family to New Brunswick in 1783, and settled at the mouth of the St. John's River,' and soon after removed to Hammond River, distant about twenty miles from St. John's, where he resided till his death. His wife survived him seven years. (Wetmore Memorial.)
2. Timothy Wetmore, second son of Rev. James Wetmore, married first, Oct. 21, 1756, Jane Haviland, of Rye. Children: James, Jane, Anna, Timothy, Fletcher, Thomas, Luther, Theodore, Robert Griffith. Married, second, Rachel, widow of Benjamin Ogden, of New York; no children. He was a highly respectable and influential citizen of Westchester County; 'was among the first graduates of Kings, now Columbia College, in the city of New York, 1758. He first studied for the ministry, but circumstances prevented his going to England for ordiantion. Subsequently he turned his attention to the study of law, and became a practitioner of considerable importance. In 1753-1734 [sic, must be 1754] he was appointed by the Society as teacher for the parish of Rye.' 'At the close of the war' (1783) he removed to Nova Scotia, where he practised his profession for many years, and held numerous offices of public trust.' His wife died in New York, Aug. 5, 1777. Mr. Wetmore returned from New Brunswick in 1800, and took up his residence in New York, where he died March, 1820, aged eighty=three years. (Wetmore Memorial.)
For the descendants of James and Timothy Wetmore and their sistgers, see 'The Wetmore Family of America and its Collateral Branches,' by James Carnahan Wetmore; Albany, Munsell & Rowland, 1861; pp. 220-281.
Frederic de [Friedrich von] Weissenfels. He was captain of Company I, First Regiment New York Continental troops, Aug. 4, 1775. (American Archives, fourth series, vol. iii. p. 23.) The New York Provincial Congress, Feb., 1776, nominated 'Frederick Van Weisenfels for major' in one of the four regiments to be raised for the colony of New York. (Ibid. vol. v. p. 317.) In April, he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel in Colonel Nicholsons' Regiment; 'Headquarters before Quebec, April 15, 1776.' (Ibid. p. 949.) Nov. 26, 1776, he recieved three thousand pounds bounty money. July 9, 1790, the State of New York gave him three thousand acres, military bounty lands. (Balloting Book, p. 66.)
Isaac Wilcox, mentioned 1741, 1742. Samuel Wikcox, mentioned 1750.
Richard Willis was here in 1747; on King Street, 1752-1753. James Willis is mentioned 1776; John Willis, 1774.
'Mr. William Willett' is mentioned 1728-1738; called 'Col.' in 1739, and 1750-1761, when he filled the office of supervisor. In 1762 'Wm Willett gent. and Alice his wife' sell 'his farm which he bought in 1743 from Joseph Brundige,' one hundred and tgen acres in Harrison.
Cornelius Willett was of the Purchase, 1755-1756. According to the pedigree given by Mr. Bolton, William and Cornelius were sons of William, who died in 1733, and brothers of Isaac, high sherriff of Westchester County, 1737-1766.
I. Samuel Willson was the first of the family who settled in this town or in Greenwich. He was probably a son of Jeremiah Willson and Mary his wife, of New Shoreham or Block Island, who died in 1740, a son of Samuel of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, one of the freemen of 1655, who died in 1682, aged sixty years. Samuel came from Rhode Island in or previous to the year 1710, and settled on the place now (1870) owned by John B. Haight on King Street. His wife was Susannah Ogden. He died early in the year 1752, and the inventory of his estate as returned by the appraisers May 14, 1751, amounted to 13,478 pounds, 5s, 10 1/2 d., of which 9,015 was real estate. His wife Susannah died in 1770.
Children: Samuel, Joseph, William.
Susannah married _____ Kniffen of Rye.
Mary married Roger Lyon of North Castle.
William was under twenty-one in 1751, and died in 1763, unmarried.
II. 1. Samuel (2), son of Samuel, married Phoebe Lyon, and lived on the place now (1870) owned by the Misses Willson on King Street, where he died July 2, 1756. Phoebe his wife died Jan. 29, 1770. Children: Samuel, Benjamin, Justus, Jotham, Andrew, Roger, Thomas and Susannah, who married Gabriel Many, and lived at Amsterdam, New York; all under twenty-one years of age at the time of the death of their father in 1756.
2. Joseph (2) was born Aug. 30, 1726, and lived on King Street. He married, first, Eunice Brown, and second, Susannah Willson (herewithafer named), and died June 15, 1811. His children were, of the first marriage:
Nehemiah, born June 26, 1751.
Mary, born born Feb. 27, 1755.
Susannah, born Jan. 8, 1762.
Susannah (3) married Nathan Merritt, and lived at New Castle, where she died March 22, 1838.
Mary (3) married first, Samuel Brown, and second James Green, and died Nov. 17, 1838. She lived at Rye and Greenwich.
III. 1. Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2), married a daughter of Daniel Newman, and moved to Somers before the war.
2. Benjamin (3), son of Samuel (2), married Polly Kniffen, and lived at Rye on the place now (1870) owned by William E. Ward till about the year 1794, then on the place now owned by George P. Weeks till about the year 1800, when he moved to Oxford, New York. Children:
Gertrude, who married Hobby Adee, of Rye.
Phoebe, married Charles Leggett of Saratoga.
Charity, married David Lyon of Greenwich.
Susannah, born July 23, 1770, married first, Joseph Willson (before named), March 17, 1794, and second, Jesse Slawson, May 13, 1813, and died Aug. 9, 1827, leaving one son, Willson D. Slawson.
Benjamin married Phoebe Merritt of Rye, and removed to Chenango County.
Kniffen married Ruth Morey, of Chenango County, where he lived.
Daniel married Abigail Miller, of Greenwich, and moved to Chenango County.
3. Justus Willson (3), son of Samuel (2), moved to Amenia, Dutchess County, married Elizabeth _____, and died in 1781, leaving no children.
4. Jotham Willson (3), son of Samuel (2), married Mary Brundage, and lived on King Street, where he died Nov. 18, 1811, in the sixty-fifth year of his age. His wife died Oct. 21, 1800, aged forty-six years. There was one child of this marriage, Jotham, born Feb. 2, 1774.
5. Andrew Willson (3), son of Samuel (2), was a Friend, and resided at Nine Partners, Dutchess County.
6. Roger Willson (3), son of Samuel (2). His father in his will directs his sons Samuel and Benjamin, when they come of age, to support 'Roger, being lame and unable to support himself.' And his mother in her will give him the 'bed whereon he lieth.'
7. Thomas (3), son of Samuel (2), married Ruth Merritt, and lived on King Street; died May 3, 1812, aged fifty-six years. His wife died July 20, 1822, aged sixty-three years. Children: Elizabeth, born Sept. 2, 1776, married Knapp Park, and died Dec. 18, 1856; Thomas M., and James.
8. Nehemiah Willson (3), son of Joseph (2), married Sarah Pierce, of Block Island, and lived on King Street, where he died Jan. 24, 1814. Children: Eunice, born Nov. 23, 1784, and Desire, born March 26, 1789. Nehemiah Willson was highly esteemed by his neighbors. He was prominent in town affairs, and often represented his town in the General Assembly. Eunice (4), married Elias Peck, and died April 26, 1865. Desire (4) married Daniel Haight, and lived on King Street, where she died April 19, 1856.
IV. 1. Jotham Willson (4), son of Jotham (3), married Sarah Green, and died Oct. 22, 1828. Children:
Mary, married Lewis Haight, now (1870) living near Binghamton, N.Y.
James, now living on King Street.
Nancy, married Aaron Wakeman of Lewisboro'.
Ann, married Caleb Huestis of Greenwich.
John B., now (1870) living at Greenwich.
Sarah, married first John Finley, and second William H. Craft, now living on King Street.
2. Thomas M. (4), son of Thomas (3), born Jan. 2, 1782, married Elizabeth Sackett, and died Dec. 10, 1824. Children: Elizabeth and Mary, now (1870) living on the homestead; and Sarah, married Elkanah Rundle of Greenwich.
3. James Willson (4), son of Thomas (3), was the late Dr. Willson, of Rye; born Nov. 13, 1785, married Elizabeth Willis, and died Nov. 19, 1862. Sons: James, deceased; Thomas, of New York; and Henry, late of Baltimore, deceased.
'John and Marie Wilson of Rye in the Province of New York' petitioned the General Court of Connecticut in May, 1703, to have three hundred acres of land in Greenwich, formerly belonging to Thomas Lyon, deceased, returned to them. Samuel and Joseph, sons of Thomas Lyon, were ordered to satisfy their claim. (Public Records of Conn., iv. 424.) In October, 1705, the Lyons not responding, execution was issued by the Court. (Ibid. 530.)
John Wilson in 1722 sold land in 'Limpen Will's purchse, on the east side of the colony line.'
Thomas Willy of White Plains, in 1741 bought forty-five acres in that purchase.
William Woolsey, witness in 1724.
Valentine Worden was living on King Street 1742-1744. James Wordon, 1812. Amos Worden, 1814.
Samuel Worden and Thankful his wife, had children:
Mary, born June 10, 1735.
Phoebe, born Feb. 11, 1737.
Rebecca, born Feb. 21, 1740.
Amy, born Dec. 23, 1747.
Mercy, born Jan. 31, 1755.
Isaac, born Nov. 4, 1759.
Isaac, son of Samuel and Thankful, had children: James, born Sept. 1, 1786; Charity, born April 22, 1789; Amos, born Oct. 21, 1791; Henry, born Aug. 17, 1794; Nathanael Cameron, born July 31, 179_; Margaret B., born March 4, 1801. (Family Record.) Charity married Edward Hare, and had one son, James, now (1870) of Harrison; she died Feb. 10, 1871. Margaret B. is the wife of Jonathan H. Gedney.
Christopher Yeomans was living at White Plains in 1721. Eleazer Yeomans, witness in 1727, bought land on Brown's Point in Harrison, 1739-1741, and in 1744 sold to John Horton his 'house, barn, and corn-mill in White Plains.'
Ebenezer Clark was born in Wallingford, Conn., Jan. 15, 1769, and removed in early manhood to the city of New York. He married, July 1794, Ann Marselis, born in New York, March 5, 1769. Mr. Clark came to Rye May 10, 1821. He resided first for two years in the house afterwards Dr. Willson's and next for two years on the 'Marquand Place,' after which he bought the property on the road to Milton now (1870) owned by Mr. Mathews; and in 1836 built the house opposite the Presbyterian Church, where he spent his last days. He died Sept. 15, 1847, aged seventy-eight years and five months. they had two sons: Andrew and Daniel who died young; and five daughters: Eliza, Maria, Matilda, Catherine A. (died young), and Catharine A.
Andrew Clark, son of Ebenezer, married Charity Shirly. Son: Ebenezerl daughters: Anna, who married George A. Knower; and Matilda. Andrew died July 8, 1863.
Maria, second daughter of Ebenezer, married Rev. Williams H. Whitemore. Sons: Williams, Edward, John Howard. Daughter: Emma.
Matilda, third daughter, married Edward L. Parsons. Sons: John E., William H., Arthur W. jr; daughters: Anna Matilda, Emma (died young), and Mary.
Catharine A., youngest daughter, married Arthur W. Parsons. Daughter: Emma.
Mention has been made of Mr. Clark's exertions to provice a suitable house of worship for the congregation of which he was an honored member and ruling elder. This church - the building soon to be vacated for the larger one now (1870) in process of construction - was erected on the site of that built in 1793. The corner-stone was laid on Tuesday, Sept. 28, 1841, by the pastor, Rev. Edward D. Bryan, Rev. Drs. Kreb and Dickinson of New York participating in the service. The dedication of the new church took place on the twenty-eighth of June, 1842, Dr. Dickinson officiating. The entire cost of the edifice was six thousand dollars, of which amount more than five thousand were given by Mr. Clark and his family.