History Of Rye, NY
Chronicle of a Border Town
Westchester County, New York
Including Harrison and White Plains till 1788
by Charles W. Baird
Anson D. F. Randolph and Company
No. 770 Broadway




[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

Job Haddon, 1742-1764, lived on West Street. Job, junior, mentioned 1764, was proably the 'Job Heady' whose 'mill' is indicated, beside Mamaroneck River, on the map of 1779. The name is variously written, Huddin, Hadding, Headen, etc. Thomas lived during the Revolution on North Street, where William S. Carpenter now (1870) lives.
Bartholomew is mentioned 1794-1804.

I. 1. Godfret or Godfrey Hanse, or Hains (1), first mentioned 1717, came over from Germany about that time, and settled on the lower part of Budd's Neck. He was a rope-maker by trade, like many of his descendants, whose 'topr-walks' were numerous in that part of the town. He died July 22, 1768, aged ninety-three. (Milton Cemetery.) Godfrey, junior, was his son, and probably Joseph and Solomon.

II. 1. Godfrey Hains (2), son of Godfrey (1), called junior, 1734, had land on Budd's Neck, part of which is now (1870) comprised in the Jay property. He was drowned in the East River in 1766. He had four sons at least: Godfrey, James, Daniel and Solomon.
Gilbert was proabably another son.
2. Joseph Hains (2), probably a son of Godfrey (1), was a rope-maker, and in 1741 bought a farm of seventy sacres on Budd's Neck below the country road and Westchester old path, 'beginning at a rock within a few feet to the westernmost of the school house.'
3. Solomon Hains (2), perhaps a son of Godrey (1), had land on Budd's Neck in 1739.

III. 1. Godfrey Hains (3), son of Godfrey (2), was an active loyalist during the Revolution. He was 'a single man' in 1775. The following account of one of his many 'hair-breadth escapes' has been preserved by tradition: He was once taken, together with Joseph Parker and William Haviland (father of Samuel and Thomas, now (1870) living), and carried to Poughkeepsie, where they were kept some time in confinement in a dwelling-house. One night Hains, who was a strong man, succeeded in releasing himself from his hand-cuffs, woke his companions, and promised to liberate them. An Indian was on guard at the door, armed with a gun; the party seized him before he could give the alarm, and taking his gun from him, sliipped out, and started to escape. Parker missed the way and was taken; Hains and Haviland made their way toward the Croton River. They knew that a strong guard was posteed on the bridge over which they had been taken, and accordingly went a mile further up, and Hains, being very tall, forded the stream, carrying his comrade on his back. After spending the next day in concealment in a barn, where they came very near detection, they reached home the following night. Hains lived till after the war, and died in Nova Scotia.
2. James Hains (3), son of Godfrey (2), in 1753-1760 bought land on Budd's Neck. His sons were James junior and Thomas.
4. Solomon Hains (3), son of Godfrey (2), had land on Budd's Neck in 1760.
5. 3. Daniel Hains (3), son of Godfrey (2), had land from his father in 1760.
4. Solomon Hains (3), son of Godfrey (2), had land on Budd's Neck in 1760.
5. Gilbert Hains (3), probably a son of Godfey (2), was the father of Godfrey, William Andrew and Gilbert.

IV. 1.2. James, junior, and Thomas Hains (4), 'the two sons of James (3)', were concerned in the spiking of American cannon near King's Bridge, January, 1776. (Journal of Prov. Congress, etc., vol. i. p. 272.)
Gilbert Haine (4), youngest son of Gilbert (3), was a soldier in the war of 1812; he died at Milton in 1869. He had three sons: Isaac, Joseph, and Henry S.; the last two of whom are now (1870) living in Milton.

I. Samuel Haight, of Flushing, L.I., born 1647, died 1712, a promiment member of the Society of Friends, was associated with John Harrison, William Nicoll, Ebenezer Wilson and David Jamison, in 1695, in the purchase of the tract of land called after the first of these, Harrison's Purchase. He was a son of Nicholas Haight of Windsor, brother of John Hoit, an early settler of Rye. In the division of the lands now forming the town of Harrison, Mr. Haight had two portions, the one in the upper part, adjoining Rye Ponds, which in his will he directed his executors to sell for the benefit of his daughters; and the other in the lower part, adjoining the territory now forming the town of Rye. Here he left lands to his sons Jonathan and David. He married Sarah _____, and had five sons: Samuel, Nicholas, Jonathan, David and John; and five daughters: Susannah, married Richard Griffin; Sarah, married Silas Tutus; Mary, marraied David Eustace of Huystead; Hannah; and Phoebe.

II. 1. Samuel Haight (2), son of Samuel (1) of Flushing (1), born about 1670, died 1712, was the father of James, of Greenburg.
2. Nicholas Haight (2), son of Samuel (1), was the father of Jacob, who removed to Dutchess County about 1750.
3. Jonathan Haight (2), son of Samuel (1), inherited land from his father, which he sold in portions to a number of persons, among others to the Rev. James Wetmore, before 1728. He removed with his son Charles to North Castle. His other son William remained till 1765, when he went to Sing Sing.
4. David Haight (2), son of Samuel (1), born before 1691, died before 1760. He came to Rye and settled near the present (1870) Harrison station, in which neighborhood his lands were located. His son were Samuel, David, Thomas, and Nicholas. Daughters: Hannah, and Elizabeth (who married John Culbert). In 1746 and 1757 he divided his lands among them, giving one hundred acres each to Samuel and David, forty acres to Thomas, and one hundred and forty acres to Nicholas, including his homestead.

III. 1. Samuel Haight (3), son of David (2), died in 1784; probably without children.
2. David Haight (3), son of David (2), born about 1701, died about 1798. His house stood on the north side of the entrance to Mr. Josiah Macy's place, on North Steet, which he owned. He was a member of the Vestry of Rye. He sold property in 1792 to his son Daniel, and went to live with his son David, at Beford, where he died. He was married twice; first, to Melicent Lane. Children: John, and Lavinia, wife of Elijah Purdy, born 1735, died 1816. Secondly, to Abigail Purdy. Children: Thomas, David, Samuel, Daniel, Isaiah, and Joshua. Another daughter married Benjamin Miller of Putnam County.
3. Thomas Haight (3), son of David (2), was dead in 1757.
4. Nicholas Haight (3), son of David (2), had a homestead near the present (1870) Harrison station. He died befire 1775, leaving one son, David.

IV. 1. John Haight (4), son of David (3), born 1738, died 1819, lived where Mr. William H. Smith now (1870) lives, on North Street. He had descendants in New York. 2. Thomas Haight (4), son of David (3), was of New York.
3. David Haight (4), lived in Bedford, and died in 1836.
4. Samuel Haight (4), had one son, Hachaliah, who died young.
5. Daniel Haight (4), had a mill now (1870) owned by Mr. Van Amringe, for a time, and in 1792 bought his father's farm, now Mr. Josiah Macy's. He married in 1777, Phoebe, daughter of Roger Purdy, seniorn, of North Street, and died in 1828, aged seventy-six years. He had three sons: Jonathan, Daniel and Epenetus; and five daughters: Anne, married Elijah Anderson; Sarah, married first, Daniel, son of John Haight; second, Elijah Purdy; Mary, married Isaac Purdy; Elizabeth, married Elias Purdy; and Abigail, married Richard F. Cornwell.

V. 1. Jonathan Haight (5), son of Daniel (4), born Sept. 25, 1782; married Hannah Seaman, born Sept. 30, 1786. He died Nov. 25, 1856; his wife, July 25, 1856. They had eight sons: Elisha, Jonathan, Charles, Daniel, Sylvanus, Henry, William, and George; and one daughter.
2. Daniel Haight (5), son of Daniel (4), married Desire, daughter of Nehemiah Wilson, of Greenwich, Sept. 26, 1810. They had five sons: Nehemiah W., Daniel, Joseph, John D., and Webster; and three daughters.
3. Epenetus Haight (5), son of Daniel (4), had three daughters.

Daniel Hawkhurst, 1758, bought Flamman's place at Saw Pit, and next year lived in Rye.

Edward Hare, of Rye, 1742, sold thirty acres in Harrison to Thomas Marsh in 1746, and next year his house and twelve acres in Rye. He married Mary, daughter of Sarah Tory, widow, of Rye.

Daniel Hawkshurst, 1758, bought Flamman's place at Saw Pit, and next year lived in Rye.

Edward Hare, of Rye, 1742, sold thirty acres in Harrison to Thomas Marsh in 1746, and next year his house and twleve acres in Rye. He married Mary, daughter of Sarah Tory, widow, of Rye.

George Harris. There was a certain George Harris who taught the school more or less of the time from 1762 to 1776. He was not in the employ of the English Society, and the fact which tradition establishes that he here ruled the rising generation, would lead us to suppose that the school at that period was controlled by the town, and was no longer of denominational characters. This Harris is said to have been a man of a most violent temper, exceedingly harsh and cruel in his treatment of the scholars. Some of the punishments he inflicted are described as truly barbarous. One redeeming trait he seems to have possessed, in his stong republican sympathies. According to his own account he stood in this respect along at Rye, 'faithful among the faithless.' In 1776 he addressed a petition to the Convention of the State of New York, then in session at Harlem.
He writes from prison, having been the victim, as he says, of a conspiracy to ruin him, instigated by one Wetmore, who had been a competitor with him for the school, and had done what he could to injure him in his business. He complains that his school has been taken from him, and the use of the school-house denied him, by James Wetmore, 'the brother of that arch tory, or enemy to hs country, Timothy Wetmore, who has and does yet keep up the spirit of toryism in Rye.'

Samuel Harrison, 1750, had land in Harrison, on the cross-road to White Plains.

Peter Hatfield, witness in 1724. Abraham Hatfield, of White Plains, 1749, sold land there. Gilbert Hatfield, of White Plains, is mentioned 1751; and Joshua in 1748.

Jonas Halsted, 1726. David, 1732-1734. Thomas, 1738-1768, was of Harrison. The Revolutionary chart of 1779 shows his farm on the cross-road to White Plains, near Mamaroneck River.

I. 1. Ezekiel Halsted (1), originally from Huntington, L.I., says Mr. Bolton (Hist. Westchester Co., vol. ii. p. 79), was of New Rochelle in 1732. (Co. Rev., G.) He removed to Rye in 1746, and bought from the sons of Timothy Knap the estate now (1870) belonging to the heirs of the late Newberry Halsted, on the road to the Beach. He was, apparently, one of the trustees of the Presbyterian church in 1753. He died at Rye Oct. 30, 1757, in the forty-ninth year of his age. (Milton cemetery). He had two sons, Ezekiel and Joseph.
2. Philemon Halsted (1), was executor to Ezekiel's will, and therefore could not be the Philemon mentioned below, born in 1743. He was doubtless Ezekiel's brother. In 1768 Ezekiel (2), sold to him the estate above described, and also ninety acres north of Roger Park's farm, now (1870) Mr. Greacen's. This was the property owned a few years ago by a namesake of Philemon.

II. 1. Ezekiel Halsted (2), son of Ezekial (1), was born in New Rochelle, Nov. 29, 1748, and came to Rye with his father. He married Abigail Theall, July 17, 1758. In 1768 he sold the property left him by his father, and April 30, 1771, bought the farm south of it, previously Jonathan Brown's, comprising one hundred acres, the lower part of which is still owned by his grandson Underhill. Ezekiel (2) died Feb. 20, 1805. He had a son Ezekiel, and perhaps others.
2. Joseph Halsted (2), son of Ezekial (1), was probably younger, as provision was made in his father's will for his support.
3. Philemon Halsted (2), probably a son of Philemon (1), was born Oct. 10, 1743, and died Aug. 13, 1816. He married Jane _____.

III. 1. Ezekiel Halsted (3), son of Ezekiel (2), born Feb. 6, 1761, married, first, Feb. 10, 1784, Sarah, daughter of Andrew Lyon, born Aug. 17, 1769, died Feb. 24, 1802. They had five sons: Andrew Lyon, Ezekiel, Underhill, Elisha, and William Henry; and three daughters: Sarah, born Aug. 21, 1789, married Joseph H. Horton Nov. 22, 1808, died Sept. 29, 1816; Mary, born July 4, 1791, married Elijah M. David, Jan. 3, 1815; and Jane Eliza, born July 29m 1891, married Joseph Miller, Feb. 8, 1826. Mr. Halsted married a second time, Dec. 16, 1802, Esther [Schureman] Griffin, widow of John, born Feb. 23, 1762, died May 5, 1843. They had two sons, Samuel and Schureman.
2. Philemon Halsted (3), son of Ezekiel (2), born April 2, 1779, married Deborah, daughter of Newberry and Elizabeth Davenport, born 1788, died July 1, 1845. He died May 16, 1857. Sons: James D. and Newberry.

IV. 1. Andrew Lyon Halsted (4), son of Ezekial (3), born Dec. 15, 1784, married, first, April 3, 1809, Lavinia Horton, who died Feb. 26, 1811. He married a second time, May 13, 1812, Frances Miller. He had five daughters by the first wife, and a son, Griffin B., and a daughter by the second.
2. Ezekiel Halsted (4), son of Ezekial (3), born Aug. 13, 1787, married, Nov. 23, 1808, Ann Griffen. He died Aug. 28, 1828, 'having been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church twenty-two years.' He had four sons: John, Edward, Ezekiel and Benjamin; and one daugther.
3. Underhill Halsted (4), son of Ezekiel (3), born Jan. 3, 1794, married April 28, 1818, Ann Barker. Children: Henry, William, Sarah.
4. Elisha Halsted (4), son of Ezekiel (3), born Feb. 13, 1776, married April 28, 1824, Harriet Purdy. Children: James, Leonard, Mary.
5. William Henry Halsted (4), son of Ezekiel (3), born Aug. 21, 1799, married Nov. 12, 1823, Sarah Barker. He had four daughters.
6. Samuel Halsted (4), son of Ezekial (3), had three daughters.
7. Schureman Halsted (4), son of Ezekiel (3), had Ezekiel, Gilbert, William, Samuel, Isaac, Charles, and three daughters.
8. James D. Halsted (4), son of Philemon (3), married Elizabeth Todd, and had two sons, Augustus and Mandeville, and one daughter.

Three persons of this name appear in our records nearly simultaneously - Jacob in 1715, Benjamin and Adam in 1716. Thomas and John, apparently brothers, appear soon after, in 1723-1725. In 1742 they owned a parcel of sedge land on Manussing Island (the southern part of which was called Haviland Island in 1796).
Jacob Haviland was of Harrison in 1727, and of West Street in 1742. He was perhaps the father of Joseph.
Benjamin Haviland, called junior, 1718-1723, in 1724 conveyed a farm of one hundred and thirty acres in Harrison to his son Ebenezer. (Co. Rec., lib. G. p. 6.) Solomon, son of Benjamin deceased, married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Carpenter, Sept. 17, 1742. (Friends' Rec.) Charity, daughter of Benjamin Haviland, married John Hutchins, sixteenth of fourth month, 1742 (Ibid.) Adam had a son Gilbert (Brander's Book.)

II. 1. Joseph Haviland (2) was of West Street in 1751, and may have been the son of Jacob, of West Street. He was the father of William.
2. Solomon Haviland (2), son of Benjamin deceased, Sept. 17, 1742, married Hannah, daughter of Thomas Carpenter. (Friends' Rec.)
3. Gilbert Haviland (2), son of Adam, mentioned 1751.
4. Wiliam Haviland, of Harrison's Purchase, was the father of Margaret, who married Stephen Cornell, sixteenth of eighth month, 1775 (Friends Rec.); and Charity, who married Richard Burling, fourth of twelfth month, 1776. (Ibid).
5. John Haviland, perhaps a son of John above mentioned, married Sarah Sneading.

III. 1. William Haviland (3), son of Joseph (2), born July 4, 1754, died June 24, 1834. He married, Feb. 14, 1781, Elizabeth, daughter of John Gedney, born Feb. 14, 1763; died Nov. 16, 1842. He lived in a house which stood at some distance west of North Street, on land now (1870) owned by Mr. William Mathews, but removed to the lower part of White Plains, shortly after the Revolution. He had four sons: Bartholomew, Timothy, Samuel, Thomas; and five daughters: Dorothy, born Sept. 17, 1784, married William Harriott, died Aug. 15, 1852; Margaret, born Jan. 13, 1793, married Samuel Purdy, died July 18, 1855; Jane, born June 5, 1796, married Eliphalet Todd; Matilda G., born April 18, 1799, married Benjamin Clark, died Aug. 25, 1853; and Charlotte, born Dec. 9, 1802, died Oct. 10, 1865.
2. John Haviland (3), son of John (2), and Sarah Sneading, married Phoebe, daughter of Thomas Carpenter, born March 24, 1741. They had four sons: William, John, Benjamin and Samuel; and five daughters: Sarah, married Isaac Oakley, died about 1820; Charity, married Gilbert Brundage, died March 4, 1823; Margaret, married first, J. Smith, second, James Nearing; Mary, married William Miller; Elizabeth, married Thomas Carpenter; and Jane married Aaron Field, died 1858, aged ninety-three.

IV. 1. Bartholomew Haviland (4), son of William (3), born Jan. 9, 1783, died Oct. 28, 1851.
2. Timothy Haviland (4), son of William (3), born Aug. 20, 1786, died May 29, 1869.
3. Samuel Haviland (4), son of William (3), born Oct. 20, 1788.
4. Thomas Haviland (4), son of William (3), born June 5, 1791.
5. Wililam Haviland (4), son of John (3), married Mary Halsted, and died young, leaving two daughters: Charity, married Richard Burling; and Margaret, married Stephen Cornell.
6. John Haviland (4), son of John (3), born Aug. 1, 1734, married Phoebe Carpenter. He died Feb .l29, 1804. They had two son: William and John; and three daughters: Jane, Sarah, and Mary (died young).
7. Benjamin Haviland (4), son of John (3), married Anne Cornell, tenth of first month, 1777; he died in Canada.
8. Samuel Haviland (4), son of John (3), married Rachel Lecraft, daughter of Dr. Willett, and died in Bedford.
Dr. Ebenezer Haviland belonged to one of the branches of this family. He married Tamar, daughter of Underhill Budd, March 25, 1765; served honorably in the Revolutionary War as military surgeon; and died at Wallingford, Connecticut, about the close of the war. 'Mr. Haviland,' was recognized as deputy from Westhchester County, in the New York Convention, when it met ;in the Court house at the White Plains,' July 9, 1776. (American Archives, fourth series, vol. i. p. 1386.) He was surgeon to the Fourth Regiment, New York Continental troops, Aug. 4, 1775. (Ibid. vol. iii. p. 26.) In April 1776, the New York Committee of Safety appointed 'Doctor Ebenezer Haviland Surgeon to Col. Wynkoop's Regiment,' and ordered 'that he immediately take the direction of the Field Officers of the Regiment, as to his duty and attendance.' (American Archives, fourth series, vol. v. p. 1475.) 'Ebenezer Haviland, S. [surgeon's] mate 2d Regt (New York), died 28 June '81.' (the Balloting Book, and other Documents relating to Military Bounty Lands, in the State of New York: Albany, 1825: p. 108.) The patent for five hundred acres, bounty land, awarded him in 1790, was 'delivered to Horatius Haviland his son.' (Ibid. pp. 59, 165.)

John Hawkins was here in 1771. His son, called junior in 1789, was constable for six years. This family owned land on Grace Church Steet, above Jonathan Sniffen's. Here William lived in 1804.

Jacob Hays, with Titus Beekman, of New York, and others, in 1721-1722, leased forty acres in Rye 'for thirty years, to work mines thereon!' The land was apparently on Hog-pen Ridge. Jacob Hays, merchant, in 1734 sold 'his lot where he now dwells' in Rye.
Judah Hays, of New York, merchant, 1743, bought Thomas Purdy's homestead. In 1757 he advertised his stock of dry goods at his 'store in the late Major Van Horne's house, between the Fly and Meal Markets' in New York.

William Haywood, 1720, witness; John Haywood, 1736. In 1719 John Haywood of New York, gentleman, had land on manussing Island.

Henry Hill, 1713, bought of Mary Sherwood one hundred acres in the upper part of Will's Purchase - now North Castle. John, witness, 1746-1753. Anthony Hill, of Scarsdale, 1749, bought and sold land on Brown's Point. Andrew Hill, 1765.

Thomas Heate, or Hitte, was of Cambridge, Mass., in 1635, 'after wyich,' says Mr. Savage, 'the name is not found.' Henry Heet or Hitt was here in 1710, and perhaps before. He had land in Will's Purchase, and was collector in 1717. He is last mentioned in 1726. Samuel Heate or Heet or Hitt was of Rye in 1723.

Joseph Hobes or Joseph Hubbs lived on 'Graces street' in 1753. Daniel, of Rye, in 1761 bought Solomon Purdy's homestead on Ridge Street, below the place lately (1870) Mrs. Osborne's. Here he had fifty-seven acres in 1763. Zephaniah, in 1767, had one of the lots at Saw it. Alexander had land on 'Gracious street' in 1768. Abraham is mentioned in 1790.

Samuel Hosier, witness in 1740. John Hosier, of White Plains, married Hannah Horton, fifteenth of eleventh month, 1758. (Friends' Rec.)

Thomas Howel, 1756-1767, was of Harrison.

Thomas Hugford, of Greenwich, bought land near Saw Pit in 1751, and sold it the next year. Peter Hugeford, Dr., practised in Rye as early as the year 1753, and continued until near the commencement of the Revolution. He is last mentioned in 1772. He resided in the town of Courtland, and was probably, says Dr. Fisher, 'the first regular physician in the northwestern portion of Westchester Count. He was an Englishman by birth and education, and was unquestionably an accomplished medical practitioner. He was certainly a gentleman of the decided English stamp, as can be seen by his full-lenth portrait which now (1870) hangs in an ancient parlor of his grand-daughter, Mrs. Betsey Field, a widow of over eighty years, residing near the village of Peekskill. Dr. Hugeford had man students of medicine. Being a royalist, he retired to the British army when the war was declared. His fine farm of two hundred acres was confiscated, and subsequently given by government to John Paulding, for his services as one of the three distinguished captors of Major Andre, the British spy. Dr. Hugeford was probably the most accomplished physician of his day in this county.

John 'Heex" was of Rye in 1723.

John 'Huchinge' was of Rye in 1720.

Walter Huson, 1743; Henry, 1747.

'Samuel Hunt of Rye' in 1705, had twenty acres of land from the town, with permission to build a mill at the falls of Mamaroneck River, above Humphrey Underhill's. From the deposition of Edward Rogers before the Council, New York, Feb. 13, 1725, it appears that Hunt was of Westchester, and was a son-in-law of Underhill. (Land Papers in Secretary of State's Office, Albany, vol. iii. p. 101.) In 1721 he had a tract of three hundred and eighty acres in White Plains, for which he obtained a patent. (Ibid. p. 100). The survey of White Plains, Feb. 24, 1721, shows the location of this tract, between North Street and Mamaroneck River. His house, at the lower end of this tract, stood about where Mr. Carpenter's house now (1870) stands, two miles below the village. His mill was situated apparently where there is a saw-mill now, a mile and a half above the bridge.
Samuel Hunt junior was of Rye in 1745-1748.
Hugh Hunt was here in 1717, and Enoch Hunt in 1739-1742. These may have been sons of Samuel. No others of this name appear to have settled in Rye, until the latter part of the century, when Jesse Hunt, Esq., high sheriff of the county, married Esther, daughter of the Rev. James Wetmore, and widow of David Brown of Rye. It is said that he then sold Hunter's Island, which he owned, and came to this place. He was supervisor of the town in 1785-1786. He lived where Mr. Josiah Purdy now (1870) lives, near the railroad station in Rye, upon land which his wife had received from her father. Mr. Hunt had three sons, Thomas, Jesse and Samuel, and a daughter, by his first wife; no children by the second. I find nothing to bear out the statement there made that Thomas Hunt, who went to Westchester before 1665, was 'of Rye.' On no other ground than this statement, apparently, the Hunt Genealogy represents this ancestor of the Westchester family as going from Stamford to Rye 'by 1652,' - a period when Rye certainly was not; and as representative in 1664 - a fact which the Colony Records do not establish. The name does not appear among the names of our early settlers.
'Jesse Hunt of New Rochelle' was captain of militia in Colonel Drake's regiment, May, 1776. (See certificate of good character given him by the N.Y. Com. of Safety; American Archives, fourth series, vol. v. p. 1486.)

Andrew Hunter was here in 1723-1724.

Adani Ireland.

Raphael Jacobs, 1739, merchant of New York, in 1742 bought from Gideon Barrel the house and land adjoining previously Peter Brown's (lately - 1870 - D.H. Mead's), which he afterwards sold to Rev. Jas. Wetmore. (Records, and Mr. Wetmore's will.)

Lemuel Jagger married Anna, daughter of Roger Park (3); in 1775 he boubht the above mentioned property from Dr. Ebenezer Haviland (Co. Rec., lib. i. p. 74), and sold it in 1784 to Dr. Gilbert Budd, of Mamaroneck (Ibid, p. 357). In 1776, the Vestry met 'at the house of Capt. Lemuel Jagger.' About the beginning of this century (1800s) he was living in a house which stood between the post-road and Mr. J.E. Corning's present residence.

'I have been informed that our family is of Poictou, in France, and that the branch of it to which we belong removed from thence to Rochelle. Of our ancestors anterior to Pierre Jay, who left France on the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, I know thing that is certain.' (Chief Justice Jay, autobiography, in Life of John Jay, by his son William Jay: in two volumes. New York, 1833: vol. i. pp. 2, 3.)
I. Pierre Jay 'was an active and opulent merchant, extensively and profitably engaged in commerce. He married Judith, a daughter of Mons. Francois, a merchant in Rochelle. One of her sisters married M. Mouchard, whose son was a director of the French East India Company.
Pierre Jay had three sons and one daughter. The sons were:
Francis Jay, who was the eldest.
Augustus Jay, who was born the twenty-third of March, 1665.
The daughter's name was Frances.
Mr. Jay seemed to have been solicitous to have one of his sons educated in England. He first sent his eldest son, but he unfortunately died [of sea-sickness] on the passage. Notwithstanding this distressing event, he immediately sent over his son Augustus, who was then only twelve years old. In the year 1683, Mr. Jay recalled Augustus, and sent him to Africa, but to what part and for what purpose in now unknown. (Ibid).
During the absence of Augustus, the persecution of the Protestants in France became severe; and Pierre Jay became one of its objects. Dragoons were quartered in his house; and his family were subjected to serious annoyance. He was imprisioned in the castle of Rochelle, but was released through the influence of some Roman Catholic connections. Having at that time several vessels out at sea, which were expected soon in port, he desired a Protestant pilot in his employment to take the first of these vessels that should arrive to a place agreed upon - the island of Rhe. The ship that arrived first was one from Spain, of which he was the sole owner. The pilot was faithful to his trust, and in due time Mr. Jay reached England, and rejoined his family, whom he had sent to England some time before, at Plymouth.

II. Augustus Jay returned to France from Africa, ignorant of these family changes. As it was unsafe to appear in Rochelle openly, he was secreted for some time by his aunt Madame Mouchard, who was a Protestant, but whose husband was a Roman Catholic. With the help of his friends he escaped to the West Indies, and thence to Charleston, South Carolina. The climate proving unfavorable, he removed to Philadelphia, and afterwards to Esopus, on the Hudson River, where he entered into business; but he ultimately settled down in New York. He revisited France and England in 1692, and saw his father and sister; his nother had lately died.
In 1697, Augustus Jay married, in New York, Anna Maria, daughter of Balthazar Bayard, the descendant of a Protestant professor of theology at Paris in the reign of Louis XIII, who had been compellled to leave Paris and take refuge with his wife and children in Holland; whence several members of his family came to America. Mrs. Jay was a woman of eminent piety. It is mentioned that she died while on her knees in prayer.
Augustus Jay was born March 23, 1665. 'He lived to the good old age of eighty-six, respected and esteemed by his fellow-citizens,' and died in New York, where he had pursued his calling as a merchant with credit and success, Marc. 10, 1751.
He had four daughters and one son, Peter. His daughter Judith, born Aug. 29, 1798, married Cornelius Van Horne, April 6, 1735 and died August, 1757; Mary, born Aug. 31, 1700, married Peter Valette, June 27, 1723, and died June 5, 1762; Frances, born Feb. 26, 1702, married Frederick Van Cortlandt, Jan. 19, 1724; Ann, died young.

III. Peter Jay (3), only son of Augustus (2), was born Nov. 3, 1704. He married Mary, daughter of Jacobus Van Cortlandt, Jan. 20, 1728. Like his father, he was a merchant in the city of New York. 'Having earned a fortune which, added to the property he had acquired by inheritance and marriage, he thought sufficient, he resolved, when little more than forty years old, to retire into the country, and for this purpose purchased a farm at Rye.' He died April 17, 1782; his wife had diedApril 17, 1777. They had seven sons: Augustus, James (died young), another James, Peter, Frederick (died young), John and another Frederick; and three daughters: Eve, Anna Maricka, born Oct. 20, 1737 died Sept. 4, 1791; and Mary, born Nov. 10, 1748; died May 18, 1752.

IV. 1. Augustus Jay (4), eldest son of Peter (3), was born April 12, 1730. He was never married. He died Dec. 23, 1801.
2. James Jay (4), third son of Peter (3), born Oct. 16, 1732, became Sir James Jay, Kt.; he resided for some years in England, and returned after the Revolution to New York, where he lived until the time of his death, Oct. 20, 1815. On his return to England in 1784 or 1785, Sir James Jay brought propositions from the Countess of Huntington to some of the States of the Union, for establishing settlements of emigrants among the Indians, with a viw to civilizing them, and converting them to Christianity. General Washington, in a letter to him dated Jan. 25, 1785, expresses his entire approval of the plan, and suggests that it should be brought before Congress. (Writings of Washington, by Jared Sparks, vol. ix. pp. 86-89.)
3. Peter Jay (4) fourth son, was born Dec. 19, 1734. He and his sister Ann Maricka were deprived of sight in infancy by the small-pox. He married Mary Duyckinck in 1789. 'This gentleman,' says Dr. Dwight, 'had the misfortune to become blind, when he was fourteen [four] years of age. It has not, however, prevented him from possessing a fine mind, and an excellent charactger; or from being highly respected and beloved by his acquaintance. Nortiwhstanding the disadvantage under which he labors, he directs all his own concens with skill and success; and often with an ingenuity and discernment which have astonished those by whom they were know.' 'Some years since,' adds Dr. Dwight, 'Mr. Jay, having directed a carpenter to renew the fence which enclosed his garden, made a little excursion to visit some of his friends. Upon his return he was told that the posts on the front line of the garden were already set up. He therefore went out to examine them; and having walked with attention along the whole row, declared that it was not straight. The carpenter insisted that his eyes were better guides in this case than Mr. Jay's hands. Mr. Jay still persisted in his opinion, and pointed out the place where the row diverged from a right line. Upon a re-examination the carpenter found a small bend in the row, at the very spot designated by his employer.
Mr. Jay died not long after Dr. Dwight's visit; his death occurred on the eighth of July, 1813. Mrs. Jay, born Sept. 14, 1736, survived her husband several years; she died April 26, 1824. They had no children.
4. John Jay (4), sixth son of Peter (3), was born Dec. 12, 1745. His boyhood was spent at Rye and New Rochelle. On commencing his clerkship (in a lawyer's office in New York) he asked his father's permission to keep a riding horse. His father hesitated, and inquired, 'John, why do you want a horse?' 'That I may have the means, sir, of visiting you frequently,' was the reply; and it removed every objection. The horse was procured; and during the three years of his clerkship, Mr. Jay made it a rule to pass one day with his parents at Rye every fortnight. (Life of John Jay, vol. i. p. 21.) He was admitted to the bar in 1768. April 28, 1774, he married Sarah, daughter of William Livingston, afterwards governor of New Jersey. He soon took a leading position in the politics of the country, and was prominent in the debates if the first and second Continental Congress. In 1777 he was appointed chief justice of the State of New York. In 1778 he was elected president of Congress. In 1779 he was sent as minister to Spain, and from thence in 1782 went to Paris as commissioner to assist in the negotiation of a treaty of peace with Great Britain. He returned to New York in 1784, after an absence of five years, and was received with tokens of esteem and admiration. Dec. 21, 1784, he was appointed by Congress secretary for foreign affairs, and held the office for five years. He was one of the contributors to 'The Federalist.' In 1789 he was appointed chief justice of the United States - an office which he was the first to fill. In 1794 he was sent as special minister to London, upon a delicate and most important mission, relating to difficulties growing out of unsettled boundaries and certain commercial complications. He discharged his duty with great ability, and upon his return to America in 1795, was elected by a large majority governor of the State of New York. At the end of three years he was re-elected; and at the expiration of the second term was solicited to become a candidate for election a third time. But he had determined to renounce public life; and though nominated again in 1800 to the office of chief justice of the United States, declined the honor, and retired to his paternal estate at Beford; a property - part of the Van Cortlandt estate - which his father had acquired by marriage with Mary, daughter of Jacobus Van Cortlandt. There Judge Jay lived for twenty-eight years, a peaceful and honored life. In 1827 he was seized with a severe illness, and after two years of weakness and suffering, was struck with palsy, May 14, 1829, and died three days after. 'His public reputation as a patriot and statesman of the Revolution was second only to that of Washington; and his private character as a man and a Christian is singularly free from stain or blemish.'
Judge Jay had two sons, Peter Augustus and William; and four daughters: Susan (died young); Maria, married Goldsborough Banyar; Ann; and Sarah Louisa, born Feb. 20, 1792 and died April 22, 1818.
5. Frederick Jay (4), seventh son of Peter (3), was born April 19, 1747. He married, first, Nov. 17, 1773, Margaret, daughter of Andrew Barclay, who died Oct. 28, 1791, aged thirty-nine; secondly Euphemia Dunscomb, who died Feb. 26, 1817. In May, 1776 Frederick Jay was a member of the Committee of Safety for Rye. Aug. 16, 1776, General Washington worte from headquarters, New York, to Frederick Jay at New Rochells [Rye>] by persons going under a guard to Governor Trumbull, of Connecticut, asking him to dismiss the guard and send them on under parole. These persons were Colonel Phillips, James Jauncey, and six others. (American Archives, fifth series, vol. i. p. 891). Not long after this, Mr. Frederick Jay found it necessary to removed with his family from Rye to Bedford, for security. He died Dec. 14, 1799, and was buried in the family vault in the Bowery.
6. Eve Jay (4), eldest daughter of Peter Jay (3), born Nov. 9, 1728, married Rev. Harry Munro, March 31, 1766, and died April 7, 1810. Mr. Munro, born in 1730, was ordained in 1757 a clergyman of the Church of Scotland, and as chaplain of a Highland regiment served in the 'French War,' 1759-1760. In 1765 he united with the Church of England, and was ordained and appointed missionary of the Gospel Propagation Society at Yonkers, N.Y. He was afterwards settled in Albany. In 1778 he went to England and in 1787 to Scotland, where he died May 30, 1801. Mrs. Eve Munro was his third wife; their only child was Peter J. Munro, a prominent lawyer and citizen of New York. (Bolton, Hist. of the Prot. Episc. Church in Westchster County, pp. 494-504.)

V. 1. Peter Augustus (5), eldest son of John Jay (4), was born Jan. 24, 1776. He graduated at Columbia College in 1794, and studied law under Peter Jay Munro. He married Mary Rutherford, daughter of General Matthew Clarkson. Mr. Jay became prominent in the legal profession, and in public affairs. He was a member of the State Assembly in 1816; was recorder of New York in 1818; was a member of the Convention which framed a constitution of the State in 1821; and was for many years president of the New York Historical Society, trustee of Columbia College, etc. He received the degree of LL.D. in 1831 from Harvard, and in 1835 from Columbia College. He died Feb. 20, 1843. Children: John Clarkson Jay, M.D.; Peter Augustus; Mary, who married Frederick Prime; Sarah, who married William Dawson; Catharine Helena, who married Henry Augustus Dubois, M.D.; Anna Maria, who married Henry Evelyn Pierrepont; Susan Matilda, who married Matthew Clarkson; and Elizabeth Clarkson.
2. William (5), second son of John Jay (4), was born June 16, 1779, graduated at Yale College in 1807, and studied law at Albany; but having injured his eyes by intense study, relinquished his practice and retired to Bedford. Upon the death of his father in 1829, he acquired the Bedford estate. His life was principally devoted to philanthropic labors. He married Augusta McVicker. He died at Bedford, Oct. 14, 1858. He had one son, John, and five daughters: Anna, who married Rev. Lewis P.W. Balch, D.D.; Maria, who married John F. Butterworth; Sarah Louisa, who married Alexander M. Bruen, M.D.; Eliza, who married Henry Edward Pellew, of England; and Augusta.
3. Maria Jay (5), daughter of John Jay (4), was born at Madrid, Feb. 20, 1782. She was married April 22, 1801, to Goldsborough Banyar, who died June, 1806. Mrs. Banjar died Nov. 21, 1856.
4. Ann Jay (5), daughter of John Jay (4), was born at Passy, near Paris, Aug. 13, 1783, died Nov. 13, 1856.
The names of these two sisters, rich in faith and in good works, are widely known through the published notices of their lives and death. The remains of both lie in the family cemetery in Rye.

VI. 1. John Clarkson Jay (6), eldest son of Peter Augustus Jay, born Sept. 11, 1808, married Laura, daughter of Nathanael Prime. Dr. Jay is the proprietor of the estate at Rye. He graduated at Columbia College in 1827, and in 1831 took his degree as M.D. He has made a special study of concholoyg, and possesses the most complete and valuable collection of shells in this country. On this branch of natural history Dr. Jay has written several pamphlets. Sons: Peter Augustus, and John Clarkson, M.D., both of whom served in the war for the Union, the former as captain of a company, the latter as assistant surgeon. Rev. Peter A. Jay is now (1870) rector of Christ P.E. church, Warwick, Orange Co., N.Y. He married Julia, daughter of Alfred C. Post, M.D. Daughters: Laura, who married Charles Pemberton Wurts; Mary, who married Jonathan Edwards; Cornelia, Alice, and Sarah. He has lost twos sons: John and Augustus (both of whom died young); and two daughters: Anne Maria, who died Dec. 3, 1858, aged fifteen; and Matilda Costar (died young).
2. John (6), son of Judge William Jay (5) married Eleanor Kingsland, daughter of Hickson W. Field. Children: Eleanor, who married Henry Grafton Chapman; William; Augusta, who married Edmund Randolph Robinson; Mary, who married William Schieffelin; and Anna.
THE CEMETERY of the Jay family is situated on the estate at Rye. To this spot the remains of several of the earlier members of the family were brought, in 1807, from the family vault in New York; and here a number of their descendants have been interred since.
The pointed shaft a little to the right of the centre is the tomb of Peter Augustua Jay and his wife Mary. Next on the right is the tomb of Ann Jay, daughter of John. The next monument is that of her illustrious father, and bears the following inscription:

In Memor of
Eminent among those who asserted the liberty
and established the independence
of his country
which he long served in the most
important offices
legislative, executive, judicial and diplomatic
and distinguished in them all by his
ability, firmness, patriotism and integrity,
he was in his life and in his death
an example of the virtues
of a Christian.
Born Dec. 12m 1745
Died May 17, 1829.

The tombs of Peter Jay and his wife are near this; and next to theirs is the grave of Eve Munro - the last but one toward the right of the vignette. The monument surmounted by an urn is to the memory of Harriet van Cortlandt, wife of Augustus F. van Cortlandt, and daughter of Peter Jay Munro. The obelisk in the foreground indicates the resting-place of Maria Rutherford, wife of Frederick Prime and daughter of Peter A. Jay. Several children of Dr. John C. Jay lie buried in the southeast corner of the cemetery. The tomb of the last of these bears this touching insciption:

'Child after child on earth
Has lived, and loved and died:
And as they left us, one by one,
We laid them side by side.
We laid them down to sleep,
But not in hope forlorn;
We laid them but to ripen here
Till the last glorius morn.'

Michael Janes, aged twenty-five, made deposition in 1711, before Court of Sessions. (Co. Records, White Plains, vol D. p. 12.) 'Micah Jeannes' 1812, owned property here (Brander's Book); witness, 1731.

Robert Kennedy, 1789-1813. 'Capt. Kennedy's house and mill' are indicated on Webb's map of Rye, 1797; the house on the upper, the mill on the lower side of Blind Brook, where Park's mill now (1870) stands. Robert Kennedy died Feb. 6, 1826, aged seventy years, ten months, eleven days. His wife Sarah died July 29, 1821, aged sixty years, four months, eleven days. (Cemetery). Their daughter, Martha H. married Jesse Park, junior.

John King, 1733, bought Jacob Hay's house.

LA COUNT (Le compte)
Francis La Count (of New Rochells); a 'home-lot formerly laid out' to him on Brown's Point, near White Plains, is mentioned in 1727. (Rec. C. 163, 168.)

'Anna, daughter of John & Heph, baptized Feb. 1, 1793.

Jacob Lawrence, 'of East Chester,' in 1710, bought a Byram River lot, and in 1714 the 'mowing meadow lot' formerly Jacob Pearce's. Stephen Lawrence 'of Flushing,' in 1731 bought from Thonas Carle, of Rye, four hundred acres in Harrison, between Mamaroneck River and the 'middle line'; and in 1738 conveyed his title to it to Joseph Haight. William Lawrence 'of Fushing,' in 1732, sold to William Marsh his farm of seventy-five acres in the White Plains purchase. John Lawrence, in 1748, bought twenty-eight acres in Lame Will's Purchase.

Henry Lewis, witness, 1733; had property here, 1735.

Isaac Man, owned land on the north side of Joseph Sherwood's farm on Grace Church Street, about 1750.

Thomas McCollum married Sarah, daughter of Roger Park (3) and was living in 1799, on Grace Church Street. He is mentioned in 1801.

William Marsh 'of Flushing,' in 1732, bought a farm of seventy-five acres in White Plains; to which he added largely by subsequent purchases. He is mentioned last in 1740. Thomas Marsh, perhaps his brother, as early as 1735 owned loand between Blind Brook and Purchase Street, near Park's mill. He is mentioned last in 1767, as a 'currier.' Thomas left his lands to the grandfather of Mr. Thomas Lyon, of Ridge Street, now (1870) living.

Theophilus Marselis, of New York, was here for some years until about 1790. He lived at Rye Neck in the house by Davenport's millpond. Sons: Peter, Theophilus, John, Nelson; daughters: Catharine; Hannah; Jane, married Dr. Harris. John, son of Theophilus, was baptized at Rye, May 8, 1791, Peter Marselis sponsor. Last mentioned 1802.

Lewis Marvin, witness in 1739, called 'merchant, of Rye' in 1759, lived in Saw Pit. His wife Martha died Feb. 5, 1767, in her thirty-ninth year, and was buried near the old Episcopal Church at Rye. (Bolton, Hist. P.E. Church, p. 349.) Her husband died during the war, and was buried in the same place. He is said to have been a native of Ireland. Samuel, probably his son, was living in Saw Pit in 1786. He was supervisor in 1805, and justice of the peace in 1804-1806. 'Abigail and Edward Thomas, children of Samuel and Abigail Marvin,' were baptized Feb., 1791, and Nancy Thomas, daughter of same, Oct. 25, 1792.

Horsman Mollinex, of Rye, married Sarah Blackman, nineteenth of tenth month, 1769. (Friends' Rec.)

Rivers Morrill was of Saw Pit in 1799; mentioned 1814.

John Morris, 'of Rye, yeoman,' in 1741 sold his house and eleven and one half acres on Merritt's Point, bought in 1732. Owen Morris, witness in 1747.

Jonas Morgan appears to have been associated in some way with Joseph Budd in the proprietorship of Budd's Neck. 'Budd and Jonas Morgan's Purchase' is mentoned in Harrison's patent, 1696; also in a deed of David Jamison, 1730. (Rec. D. p. 295.)

Isaiah Maynard, mentioned 1751, 1753, 1761.

Charles Muirson, witness in 1738.

Dr. Charles McDonald.

Nathanael Moore was here in 1771.

James Mott was here in 1771.

Blind Counter