History Of Rye, NY
Chronicle of a Border Town
Westchester County, New York
Including Harrison and White Plains till 1788
by Charles W. Baird
Anson D. F. Randolph and Company
No. 770 Broadway
Early Families, PURDY to YOUNGS
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Francis Purdy, of Fairfield, Conn., who died in 1658, is believed to have been the common ancestor of the numerous race bearing this name, scattered widely throughout our country. Three sons of Francis - John, Joseph and Francis - came early to Rye; John in the year 1670, Joseph by 1677, and Francis by 1679. The following account of them and of their descendants is drawn chiefly from our Town Records, for the more remote degrees. Family records have been consulted as far as possible.
The pedigree of the Purdy family given in the appendix to Mr. Bolton's valuable History of Westchester County has been of some service in the preparation of the following account. But for the earlier portion it is utterly inaccurate and incoherent. Thus, Joseph Purdy, who died in 1709, leaving seven sons, is represented as the grandson instead of the brother, of John Purdy (1). No mention is made of a brother Joseph (1), nor of the descendants of the brother Francis (1); while Samuel, who married Penelope Strang (whose father Daniel was born in 1656, and came to America in 1688), is called a son of Francis of Fairfield, who died in 1658. I have relied on the pedigree only for the accounts of some of the later generations, which appear to have been drived from authentic sources, and are generally confirmed by the information I have been able to gain.
I. John Purdy (1), came to Rye in 1670, from East Chester, where however his stay must have been short, for his name does not occur among the names of the early settlers of that place. On his arrival here he bought John Jackson's house and lands, with his rights, and a home-lot on the Plains from John Banks. He died about 1678, leaving a widow, Elizabeth, and two sons under age. His widow and John Brondig administered his estate, and 'Elizabeth Purdy's children' figure in our records as owning various allotments, and a share in the undivided lands.
II. 1. 'Daniel Purdy, son of John, deceased,' was about thirty-five years of age when constable in 1711, and hence could have been but an infant when his father died. His name is associated with that of Francis, senior, his uncle, in deeds and lists of the proprietors, 1699-1709. From this fact, and inasmuch as no other son of John (1) is mentioned, we infer that his brother died young.
I. Joseph Purdy (1) is first mentioned in 1677, and in 1678 owned land adjoining that of 'his brother John Purdy's children.' He was a leading member of the community - being supervisor of the town in 1707-1708; justice of the peace in 1702 and after; representative of the county for several years in the Assembly; and 'one of the chief promoters of the church,' writes the Rev. Mr. Wetmore many years later. With Colonel Heathcote and others, in 1701, he purchased lands in North Castle, where some of his descendants settled. His will is dated Oct. 5, 1709.
He had seven sons: Joseph, Daniel, Samuel, David, Jonathan, John (called Still John), and Francis.
II. 1. Joseph Purdy (2), son of Joseph (1), was of Rye. He died in or before 1734, leaving a son, Obadiah.
2. Daniel Purdy (2), son of Joseph (1), was one of the patentees of Budd's Neck in 1720. He was alive in 1750. His house stood on the site of Mr. Sylvanus Purdy's present (1870) tenement house; and his farm lay below this point, on both sides of the road. He also owned a thousand acres in Coirtlandt's Manor, or North Salem, which he left to two of his grandsons.
He had three sons: Hachaliah, Joshua and Daniel.
3. Samuel Purdy (2), son of Joseph (1), first mentioned 1708, died in 1753. The Rev. Mr. Wetmore, in 1732, requested the Society for the Propogation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts to appoint him schoolmaster at Rye, recommending him as 'a gentleman very well respected in the town, a constant communicant in the church, a man of good abilities and sober exemplary life and conversation. He is the foremost justice of the peach in the parish, and one of the quorum, as well as chaplain [captain?] of the militia.' (Bolton, Church, p. 261.) Mr. Purdy was chosen to various other offices of trust; as that of supervisor, town clerk, overseer, and farmer of the excise. In 1753 Mr. Wetmore reports that 'the Church has suffered a loss by the death of Mr. Pudy, the Society's schoolmaster, who was a friend to religion, and did many kind offices to the poor, as far as he was able. His corpse was attended to the Church on Ash Wednesday by a great concourse of people of all persuasions.' (Ibid, p. 284.) Shortly before his death, he had sold to his two sons, Samuel and Caleb, for one hundred and seventy pounds, 'my home-lot whre I dwell, in Rye,' comprising five acres. This included the present (1870) rectory grounds of Christ Church.
4. David Purdy (2), son of Joseph (1), lived on 'Brown's Point,' in Harrison's Purchase, 1739-1747. In 1752 he and his son Nathan were 'both of Newburgh.' The pedigree mentions also a son David.
5. Jonathan Purdy (2), son of Joseph (1), called 'Captain' in 1750, was of White Plains as early as 1729. According to the pedigree, he married Mary Hart, and had four children: Elijah, Jonathan, Joseph, and Elizabeth, who married ____ Williams.
6. John Purdy (2), called 'Still John,' son of Joseph (1), married Rebecca _____, and removed to North Castle as early as 1736. He was living in 1760, when 'Still John Purdy, both senior and junior, with others, signed a petition the governor for lands on the northern frontier. The sobriquet, which recalls William 'the Silent,' may refer to a kind of business more frequently carried on by farmers those days than now.
7. Francis Purdy (2), youngest son of Joseph (1), was of Newburgh, and 'lately of Rye,' in 1750, when he released to his brother Daniel of Rye all claims on 'the farm where Daniel now lives, below the country road, on Budd's neck, which our deceased father Joseph owned.' He had a son Daniel.
III. 1. Obadish Purdy (3), son of Joseph (2), mentioned 1734, was, according to the pedigree, the father of Caleb.
2. Hachaliah Purdy (3), eldest son of Daniel (2), lived where his father had lived on Budd's Neck. He married Sarah, daughter of Elisha Budd.
3. Joshua Purdy (3), second son of Daniel (2), was known as 'Captain.' The house now (1870) owned by Mr. William Purdy was built by Daniel for this son. Tradition speaks of him as a man of remarkable excellence. He lived until near the close of the last century (that would be the 1700s). After the war he bought the farm now Mrs. A.W. Bradford's for his son Joshua, leaving his own farm to his son Roger.
4. Daniel Purdy (3), third son of Daniel (2), had two sons, Joseph and Daniel.
5. Samuel Purdy (3), son of Samuel (2), in 1754 sold his share of certain lands to his brother Caleb.
6. Caleb Purdy (3), son of Samuel (2), in 1740 bought two hundred acres in the lower part of Harrison's Purchase. 'Caleb Purdy's two sons' lived on West Street before the Revolution.
7. Elijah Purdy (3), son of Jonathan (2), of White Plains, married Lavinia Hoyt.
Samuel, David, John, Israel, Elijah
Mary, who married John Purdy.
Abby, who married Jonathan Purdy.
Fridy, who married John Haviland.
Lavinia, who married Isenhart Purdy.
Hester; and Melissa who married Thomas Halsted.
8. Jonathan Purdy (3), of White Plains, son of JOnathan (2) (pedigree), married Charity Hadden.
Jonathan, Benjamin, Timothy, Job
Nebe, married Amos Purdy.
Glorianna, married Henry Budd.
Sarah, Elizabeth, Charity.
9. Joseph Purdy (3), son of Jonathan (2), married Charity Isenhart.
Jonathan, Joseph, Henry, Wermoth, Michael
_____, married _____ De Lancey
Charity, married _____ Purdy.
IV. Joshua Purdy (4), son of Joshua (3), was living on the farm above mentioned at the commencement of the Revolutionary War. The prdigree in Bolton's History states that he married Laetitia Guion, and had three sons: Isaac of North Salem, Thomas of Rye, and Joshua of North Salem.
2. Roger Purdy (4), son of Daniel (3), lived where Mr. William Purdy now (1870) lives, on the post-road below the village. In 1774 he, or another Roger, was a prisoner at Fishkill under the orders of the Provincial Congress. His good conduct subsequently is certified in the following paper: 'Cortlandt's Manor, 18th Nov. 1775. Gentlemen, whereas Roger Purdy of the town of Rye in the County of Westchester was some time last fall made prisoner, and was till some time in January under the care of the guard at Fishkill, at which time his brother Joseph [Joshua?] Purdy of this place released him from that confinement by giving his obligation that the said Roger shall not at any time abscond the said Joseph's farm, until by authority released from that confinement. Now the said Roger humbly begs of the gentlemen so authorized to enlarge his bounds 4 or 5 miles, his said brother giving obligations that he shall not exceed his boundaries for which and we the subscribers (being near neighbours to the said Purdy) do certify that the said Roger has since he has been in this place been true to his trust and behaved himself very well to our knowledge.'
I. 1. Francis Purdy (1), brother of John (1), is first heard of in 1679. At a Court of Election held at Hartford, May 8th in that year, 'This Court doe grant liberty to John Brandig and Eliz: Purdy, who are administrators to the estate of John Purdy of Rye, deceased, to make, signe, seale and deliver unto Francis Purdy deeds of sale for the one halfe of those lands John Purdy afoarsayd bought of John Jackson, lyeing in Rye, which were purchased for the says Francis Purdy intentionally as appeares by sundry testimonies exhibited in this Court by Mr. John Bankes: which sayd deeds of sale when compleated according to law shall have full force and vertue to hold the says lands firm to the says Francis Purdy, his heires and assignes forever.' (Public Records of Conn., vol. iii. p. 28.)
Francis thus acquired land and property rights in Rye. His house-lot was on Wolf-pit - afterward called Pulpit Ridge - the hill above the village, where the district schoo, Park Institute, and Female Seminary now (1870) stand. His name occurs until 1722, when he gave to his son Daniel all his house and lands in Rye - Daniel promising to leave his parents in possession during their lives, 'and if it please God as they live till they are past labour, to maintain them sufficiently during their natural lives.'
The children of Francis, whom we find mentioned, are:
Francis junior; Joseph, Daniel, and a daughter who married Samuel Kniffen. Thomas and Samuel were perhaps also his sons.
II. 1. Francis Purdy (2), son of Francis (1), 1698-1699 bought land at the White Plains, and in 1701 a 'lotment' of thirty-eight acres on Hog-pen Ridge. In 1716 'Francis Purdy junior' appeared for his father Francis senior, at the Court of Sessions in Westchester, with a request relative to his nephew William Sneffin. (Co. Rec., B. 50). We have no acount of any children of his.
2. 'Joseph Purdy (2), junior, son of Francis,' was so styled in 1699, when he bought Richard Ogden's dwelling-house, with eight and one half acres, on 'the highway that goeth to the mill.'
3. Daniel Purdy (2), son of Francis (1), lived on the east side of Blind Brook, or on Peningo Neck. He was constable in 1717, and is mentioned repeatedly, 1711-1722, as son of Francis, and perhaps, 1724-1728 as 'Daniel Purdy drummer.'
4. Thomas Purdy (2) was perhaps another son of Francis (1). He is first mentioned 1704. In 1717 he owned land on Branch Ridge with Daniel 'merchant:' and in 1737-1747 his son James, 'with Daniel Purdy, dummer,' sells part of his estate. Thomas' will was dated 1731. His homestead of thirty acres, 'with house, barn, cider-mill, orchard, etc., on the west side of the country road near Benjamin Brown's, was bought in 1737 by Joshua Brundige. His sons were James and Nehemiah.
III. Of Francis Purdy's (1) descendants beyond the second generation we cannot speak positively, but there are gournds for believing that his son Joseph (2) was the ancestor, perhaps the father, of Roger, Moses and William; that Thomas (2), the father of James (3), was the ancestor of Joseph, Jacob and James.
The late David Purdy informed me that his great-grandfather Joseph lived in a house on the knoll south of the house on the road to Milton now (1870) owned by Mr. W. Mathers - formerly the Clark mansion; and that from there he removed to North Street. This location agrees with the description of Richard Ogden's homestead, bought in 1699 by Joseph Purdy (2). Our account of this branch of the family is derived from the person above referred to, and from Town Records.
Roger Purdy, son of Joseph, lived on North Street, nearly opposite the present (1870) district schoool-house. In 1741 he bought land on the east side of the White Plains Road, extending to Roger Park's land. Later, he purchased land of Elisha Budd, north of this.
William and Moses Purdy, sons of Joseph, in 1746 bought a farm of eighty acres on the west side of the White Plains Road, above Job Hadden's. Moses in 1763 bought seventy-seven and one fourth acres 'between the White Plains road and Mamaroneck river.'
William Purdy had a son Abraham, who was the father of the late David Purdy, father of Isaac Purdy of Rye.
James Purdy (3), probably son of Thomas (2), had a son James (4), the father of Joseph (5), and James (5) Purdy. Joseph (5) spent a number of years at the South, and died at Milton, in Rye, about the yeara 1848. He left no children. Jacob (5) had two sons, James (6) and Alexander (6). He died at Milton about the year 1806. His son James (6) - still living (1870) - was born in 1788, and has had five sons and three daughters, all of whom, except one daughter, are dead. His brother Alexander never married. James (5), died about the year 1855. He resided in the West, and left several children.
Samuel Purdy, who 'married Penelope, daughter of Daniel Strang and Charlotte his wife,' is called in the pedigree the 'youngest son of the first Francis' (of Fairfield). This is altogether improbable, as the sons of Francis - John, Joseph and Francis - were men in 1670-1679, when Penelope was not yet born. Besides, Samuel is not mentioned in our records until 1709. I think it likely that he was a son of Franis (2), who might readily be mistaken for Francis (1). He was at all events contemporary with this third generation; and for convenience the names of his descendants will be numbered accordinly in the following account, which is based upon the pedigree.
Samuel and Penelope had five sons: Samuel, Henry, Gabriel, Josiah, Caleb; and three daughters, Charlotte, married Samuel Fowler; Clara, married George Merritt; Elizabeth married Josiah Fowler.
IV. 1. Samuel Purdy (4), eldest son of Samuel (3) and Penelope, married Wineford Griffin.
2. Henry Purdy (4), second son, married Mary Foster.
3. Gabriel Purdy (4), third son, married Eliza Miller.
4. Josiah Purdy (4), son of Samuel (3), and Penelope, married Charity, daughter of the Rev. James Wetmore. His grandson, Mr. Josiah Purdy, informs me that he lived in a house which stood close by the road, a few rods north of the Park Academy. The chimney of this house was standing seventy years ago. He owned a tract of sixty-five acres across the road, known as 'the Cedars,' as well as all the land between the post-road and the Purchase Road, for some distance northward from the present flag-staff. Part of this land he sold to Jesse Hunt. Josiah Purdy died about the year 1755, leaving one son, Seth; and three daughters: Alethea, married first Joseph Purdy, second, William Purdy; Esther, who married Henry Purdy of King Street; and Hannah, who married Josiah Merrit. (Josiah in 1753 took the earmark 'which was Francis Purdy's.' This confirms the supposition that his father Samuel was Francis' son.)
5. Caleb Purdy (4), son of Samuel (3) and Penelope, married Hannah Brown, daughter of Samuel, and had seven sons and four daughters:
Caleb, Samuel, Josiah, Andrew, Nehemiah, Sylvanus, Elias, Caroline, Hannah, Lavinia, Anne.
V. 1. Seth Purdy (5), only son of Josiah (4) and Charity, succeeded to his father's lands in Rye, and was living here at the time of the Revolution. He married Phoebe Ketchum of Long Island. Children:
Joshua, Seth, Josiah, Keziah, Alethea, Elizabeth, Charity, Melinda, Phoebe.
2. Caleb Purdy (5), eldest son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, married Ruth Peck. Children: Caleb, Elias, Ruth, Sarah.
3. Samuel Purdy (5), second son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, married Glorianna Fowler. Children: Gabriel, Samuel, Phoebe, Elizabeth, Glorianna, Hannah.
4. Josiah Purdy (5), third son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, married U. Knapp. Children: Josiah, Joshua.
5. Andrew Purdy (5), fourth son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, married Phoebe Merrit. Children: Robert Andrew (Andrew, son of Andrew and Phoebe Purdy, bapt. Jan. 1791 - Notit. Paroch.), John Merrit; Phoebe, Hevelinda.
6. Nehemiah Purdy (5), fifth son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, mararied Elizabeth Burchum. Children: Thomas, Nehemiah, Caleb (Caleb, son of Neh. & Eliz. Purdy, bapt. Sept. 28, 1791 - Notit. Paroch.), Hannah, Anne, Elizabeth, Deborah.
7. Sylvanus Purdy (5), sixth son.
8. Elias Purdy (5), seventh son of Caleb (4) and Hannah, married Rachel Merrit. Children: Elias, Merrit (Merritt, son of Elias & Rachel Purdy, bap. Mar. 4, 1793), William, Henry, Caleb, Sarah, Ophelia.
VI. 1. Joshua Purdy (6), eldest son of Seth (5) and Phoebe.
2. Seth Purdy (6), second son.
3. Josiah Purdy (6), third son.
'Simon Robards, of Boston, about 1680 bought of Philip Galpin a house-lot of three acres in Rye, near the Field Gate, with one quarter of all his 'commonage or undivided olands, on the east side of Blind brook.'
Hannah, wife of Thomas Robisson, and sister of Joseph John, and Benjamin Horton, in 1699, had five acres from her brother Benjamin, on Budd's Neck, between Stony Brook and Westchester old path. Her husband was perhaps Thomas of Guilford, whose controversies are set forth in the Public Records of Connecticut, 1677 - 1699. (Vol. ii. pp. 322, 323; vol. iii. ppp. 90, 99; vol iv. p. 447).
John Rockwell was of Stamford, 1641-1669. (Hist. of Stamford, p. 40). In 1673 he had land at Rye on Budd's neck, east of Joseph Horton. He died in or before 1677. The General Court at Hartford, that year, May 18, 'being informned to their satisfaction of the necessity of the selling of the land of John Rockwell, late of Rye, to pay his just debts and for the supply of his wife and children doe impower the relict of sayd Rockwell and Daniel Weed to make sale of the says Rockwell's land, and to grant asssureance of the same.' (Pub. Rec. of Conn., vol. ii. p. 313). A difficulty occurred in the settling of this estate, which was not ended until thirty years after. In 1707, Jonathan Rockwell, of Norwalk, acknowledged satisfaction received from Philip, son of Garit Traves of Rye, 'concerning a dispute a lotment of upland and parcel of salt meadow belonging to it on Budd's Neck, formerly possessed by his deceased father John Rockwell of Rye.'
I. Stephen and Isaac Sherwood were the sons of Thomas, one of the settlers of Stratford, who came to Boston in 1634 from Ipswich, England. He was at Stamford in 1648, and his will, dated July 21, 1655, mentions these sons, with Matthew and three daughters, as the children of his first wife. (Hist. of Stamford, p. 61.) Stephen was in 1664 a freeman of Greenwich. He removed to Rye between that year and 1668, when he bought John Coe's 'house and housing and home-lot upon the north side of Manusing island.' In the same year he with others remonstrated against Budd's proceedings. His lands were chiefly located in the direction of Byram River. In 1680 he bought the remainder of the north neck of Manussing Island - forty-six acres - from John Banks, senior. Stephen had proprietary rights in Will's purchases, which is family retained. In 1708, Nathanael and Stephen, and Elizabeth, perhaps their mother, ranked among the proprietors.
Isaac in 1677 bought rights on Peningo Neck, formerly Lancaster's but sold his rights at White Plains in 1683, and in 1684 'all his rights in both them two purchases of land that the town of Rye bought of that Indian that is commonly called limping Will.' He had a son Daniel, and probably Isaac.
Both the brothers removed to Fairfield by 1680. In that year Stephen was 'formerly of Fairfield, now living at Stanford.' (Rec.) In 1685-1688, he divided 'his neck of land on Manussing Island' between his sons Stephen junior and Joseph.
II. 1. Isaac Sherwood (2), probably son of Isaac (1), was called senior in 1733, when he gave his son Daniel of Ridgefield all his rights to land in Rye. He was then living in Fairfield. In 1765, Isaac Sherwood of Fairfield, perhaps a third Isaac, released to Thomas Disbrow of Fairfield for five pounds, 'all his right to undivided lands both in Rye and in Fairfield;' the forner of which may well have become infinitesimal by that time.
2. Daniel Sherwood (2), son of Isaac (1), was of Fairfield in 1696, when he conveyed to Stephen, of Rye, his lands 'lying in the field of Rye' - forty or fifty acres, bordering on the creek (between the main and Manussing Island).
3. Stephen Sherwood (2), son of Stephen (1), married Mary _____. He remained in Rye, where he acquired considerable property. In 1708 he bought from the 'trustees or overseers of the town of Rye,' a tract of seven hundred acres 'at or near the upper end of Will's second purchase;' between Byram River and the colony line, and extending southward from the upper end of that purchase 'till it contains said quantity of land.' The same year, Stephen offers to sell this land in parcels, at two shillings per acre. He died in or before 1713, when his widow sold to Henry Hill one hundred acres of this tract for fifty-three pounds.
4. Joseph Sherwood (2), of Rye, son of Stephen (1), is mentioned in 1682. He had land on Barton's Neck, and Gunn Brook Plain, apparently where the 'homestead' afterwards lay, on Grace Church Street. He had a son Joseph, and perhaps a son Andrew.
5. Nathanael Sherwood (2) of Rye, probably son of Stephen (1), was 'aged about 32 years' in 1704. (Rec.) He had land with Joseph on Branch Ridge and elsewhere, which they sold in 1719. Joseph, with Abigail, Nathanael's widow, were executors of his estate in 1733.
6. John Sherwood (2), probably son of Stephen (1), in 1726 sold land in Will's Purchase, part of a 'lotment drawn by the Sherwoods.'
III. 1. Stephen Sherwood (3), perhaps son of Stephen (2), is mentioned 1740-1765. He had land on Hog-pen Ridge.
2. Andrew Sherwood (3), of Rye, perhaps son of Joseph (2), is mentioned in 1715. In 1729 he sold to Joseph, for ninety-one pounds, his 'homestead in Rye' of fifty-five acres, 'with house, orchard, garden, &c.;' apparently in the same locality with that noticed above and below. He married Anne Young, called in 1750 'widow of Andrew Sherwood deceased.'
3. Joseph Sherwood (3), of Rye, son of Joseph (2), is called junior in 1741, and was perhaps of Greenwich in 1736. About 1751 he sold to Abraham Theall for seven hundred and seventy pounds, 'his farm whereon I now dwell,' comprising twenty acres between 'Gracious street and the water-side,' - in the vicinity of the present (1870) steamboat landing - and one hundred acres on the opposite side of the road; and in that year he bought for seven hundred and seventy-three pounds, from Samuel Bayard, merchant, of New York, and Francis his wife, 'two farms in Courtlandt manor.' In 1771 he was of the latter place.
IV. 1. Daniel Sherwood (4), son of Andrew (3), is so designated in 1749. He was perhaps the father of Daniel and Jabez.
2. Nehemiah Sherwood (4), perhaps son of Stephen (3), had land in the same vicinity - on Hog-pen Ridge- in 1764. He was living in 1771.
3. Samuel Sherwood (4), perhaps son of Stephen (3), was living in 1743 on King Street, upon a farm of fifty acres.
V. 1. Daniel Sherwood (5), perhaps son of Daniel (4), kept a store and tavern, known as Sherwood's, by the bridge across the Byram River at Glenville, known as Sherwood's or Sherrod's bridge. Children: Hugford, Jabez, Daniel, Willis. They all lived in the neighborhood of Glenville.
2. Jabez Sherwood (5), brother of Daniel (5), and perhaps a son of Daniel (4), lived where William Sherwood now (1870) lives, east of Glenville. Children: Benjamin, and several daughters.
VI. Benjamin Sherwood (6), son of Jabez (5), died about the year 1863, aged eighty-seven. Children: Alanson, Allen, William, Warren, Jotham.
Abraham bought in 1700 of Samuel Odell 'his right, from his father William,' to lands in the White Plains purchase; and in 1705 a 'lotment in that purchase, where he appears to have been one of the earliest settlers. His farm lay near the site of the Presbyterian Church in White Plains. He was living there in 1729. Daniel owned property in the town in 1722. Benjamin is mentioned in 1761. Maurice or Morris, of Rye, sold land on Budd's Neck about 1760.
Jonathan Selleck, of Stamford, had land on Budd's Neck, 1670-1678; probably the same with the 'Vineyard Farm' which in 1681 Jonathan and Joseph Selleck sold for seven hundred pounds to Humphrey Underhill. David Selleck signed as witness in 1672.
Jonas Stevens was of Rye in 1681. In 1670 he went to Albany with the expedition against the French and Indians, upon the attack on Schenectady, after which he hear nothing of him. In 1716 'Jonas Stephens' old house' is mentioned, as being on the lower part of Budd's Neck.
I. John Stoakham is first mentioned in 1678. In 1684 he is called George Kniffen's son-in-law. This may equally mean step-son, which seems likely, as he was but eighteen years old when first mentioned, and may have come with Kniffin from Stratford as a child. He was a proprietgor, but in 1684 sold to Richard Walters all his right on Peningo Neck below the marked trees. His land were situated chiefly on Byram and Branch Ridges. In 1716 he is called 'senior.' In 1704 his age is stated as forty-four. His sons were John and Stephen; also, probably, Samuel, Isaac, and Israel.
II. 1. John Stoakham (2), son of John (1), was living in 1742 on King Street. In 1755 John and Stephen Stoakham sold to Thomas Merritt of King Street, for three hundred and sixty-nine pounds, 'our farm in King street,' of fifty-four acres.
2. Stephen Stoakham (2), son of John (1), is first mentioned in 1719. He is probably the father of Stephen, who married Hannah Brundige.
3. Samuel Stoakham, mentioned 1709-1711.
4. Isaac Stoakham, mentioned 1718.
5. Israel Stoakham, mentioned 1724.
III. Stephen Stoakham (3), probably son of Stephen (2), married Hannah, daughter of Joshua Brundige, and died in Canada, it is said, leaving a son Stephen. Hannah married Joseph Merritt, who left his property, on the southeast corner of Ridge Street and the road to Park's mill, to Stephen; who conveyed it to Daniel S. Merritt, uncle of Abraham, now (1870) living. Stephen died about the year 1817, unmarried.
This family has, I believe, entirely disappeared from the neighborhood. Fifty or sixty years ago one Reuben Stokem lived near Quaker Ridge, in Greenwich. He had ten or twelve children, all of whom are said to have removed to New York. A nephew, Lemuel, lived at Riverville near Glenville. He was born in 1752, and died some years since.
I. 'Daniel L'Estrange was born about the year 1650 in the City of Paris in France.' He and Charlotte 'his Wife, a daughter of Francis Hubert, being Protestants, were compelled to make their escapt from the City of Paris in France in the Year of our Lord 1685, in the time of Louis XIV, in the time of the Persecution there by the Roman Catholics, and came to the City of London in Great Britain, where Mr. L'Estrange through the interest of his correspondents, some merchants, obtained a Lieutenancy in the guards of James the Duke of York, then then King of Great Britain, and continued there until in the Year of our Lord 1688: When he and his Wife embarked for America in company with a number of French Protestant families, and arrived at the City of New York: from thence moving to the Town of New Rochelle in WestChester County, they settled themselves: after remaining there some few Years they moved to the Town of Rye, in the same County, and settled themselves, where they remained until the time of their respective deaths - Mr. L'Estrange dying a few years before his Wife.' ('A Record of the family of Daniel L'Estrange and Charlotte his wife,' MS.)
At Rye Mr. L'Estrange 'procured a lot in the Town Plot, upon the East side of the Blind brook, and including the land east thereof, and where the Park family have since possessed.' He had also 'a farm lying north of the Town Plot and near the line of Harrison's Purchase, including the lands since possessed by Jesse Hunt Esquire. He was likewise a proprietor in the patent of the White Plains, where he had a farm situate south of the Court house and where Bartholemew Gedney has since possessed. Mr. L'Estrange resided in Rye several years in the respective pursuits of farmer, innkeeper and merchant, until his death.' (A Memorandum of the family of Daniel L'Estrange and of Charlotte his wife, MS., 20 pp. written apparently in the latter part of the last century (1700s.)
It is believed that Mr. L'Estrange lived from the first on the site of the house until lately owned by some of his descendants, on the south-east corner of 'Rectory street' and the post-road in Rye. Here at all events, his family lived, thirty years later. The lively account which Madam Knight gives of her stay at the good Hugenot's (p. 149, not inc.), shows that he had not risen to wealth in the land of exile. Probably he followed some trade, as well as kept a house of entertainment.
It appears that Daniel L'Estrange connected himself while at New Rochelle, with the French Reformed or Huguenot Church there, and as late as 1694 was one of its elders. (Bolton's Hist., vol. i. p. 398). He then signed his name Streing, in partial conformity to the language of the country. Doubtless with his family he attended worship at New Rochelle, perhaps walking thither every Sabbath morning, along the newly opened road which passed his door: even as the Huguenots of New Rochelle are said to have walked to New York to attend service in the French Church there, before their own house of worship was built in 1692.
Daniel Streing was justice of the peace in 1690; appointed probably while at New Rochelle. He died about the year 1707 (N.Y. Col. MSS., vol. iii. p. 41); and was buried 'at the Episcopal church,' then just built, where he was 'an attendant and a member it is said' (Memorandum, etc.), i. e., for a short time before his death, which occurred only three years after the coming of the first Church of England missionary. His widow Charlotte 'died about the year 1722, and was buried in the churchyard of the Episcopal church of the town.' (Memorandum, etc.)
Daniel, Henry, Gabriel, Mary, Charlotte, Penelope, Lucy.
II. 1. Daniel Streing (2), son of Daniel (1), born in England, married Phoebe Purdy. He was one of the proprietors of Peningo Neck in 1713; but by 1729 had removed to the White Plains, where he was living in 1737. He 'moved from there about the year 1744 to the Manor of Cortlandt,' where he settled. (Memorandum, etc.).
Daniel, Frances, Joseph, John, Gabriel, Henry;
Phoebe, married Abraham Purdy of Cortlandt;
Elizabeth married Rev. Joseph Sackett, 'a Presbyterian Minister at what is now called Yorktown.' (Ibid).
2. Henry Streing (2), son of Daniel (1), born at New Rochelle, mentioned 1726, married _____ Kissam. His farm of one hundred and thirty acres, which he bought in 1737-1738, lay directly north of that lately Allen Carpenter's, now (1870) Charles Park's. He resided 'in the village of Rye, at or near the homestead ' (Ibid). He was dead in 1764.
Daniel; Eliza married Richard Vandyck; Hannah married Gabriel Carman; Levina married John Woods.
2. Gabriel Streing (2), son of Daniel (1), went to France, thence to England, and there settled. He had a son William.
4. Mary Strang (2), daughter of Daniel (1), was twenty years of age in 1711. (Co. Rec. vol. D. p. 12.) She married Roger Park.
6. Penelope (2), dauaghter of Daniel (1), married Samuel Purdy.
7. Lucy Streing (2), fourth daughter, married ____ Davie, and settled in the West Indies.
III. 1. Daniel Strang (3), son of Daniel (2), married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Galpin, 'in King Street.'
Children: Daniel, Joseph (died young), Gabriel, Solomon, Jared, Mary, Eliza, Hester.
2. Joseph Strang (3), son of Daniel (2), married first, Jemima, 'daughter of Joseph Budd, Esq., of the Manor of Cortlandt.'
Children: John, Gilbert, Underhill, Jemima (died young).
Second wife, Anne Haight. Children: Sarah, married Scudder Waring; Deborah; Jemima, married Stephen Brown; Samuel, married Catharine White.
3. Francis Strang (3), son of Daniel (2), married Eliza Hyatt.
Children: John, Sylvanus, Joshua, Daniel, Gabriel
Phoebe, married Caleb Barton; Sarah, married Jeremiah Mabee; Hannah, married Gilbert Post; Elizabeth, married Daniel Lane; Jerusha, married Henry Dillingham; Frances, Mary.
5. Gabriel Strang (3), son of Daniel (2), married Hannah, daughter of Johanus Clements of Cortlandt.
Children: Gabriel, William.
6. Henry Strang (3), son of Daniel (2), married, 1761, Margaret, daughter of Thomas Hazard of the island of Nassau; he died July 22, 1832, aged eighty-three.
Thomas, born 1763; Nancy, born 1764, married Daniel Horton; Ebenezer, born 1770; Daniel, born 1772; Nathanael, born 1774; Betsey, born 1776, married Seth Whitney; Phoebe, born 1776, married ____ Keeler; Hannah, born 1778, married Henry Paulding; Sally, born 1778; Henry, born 1781; Margaret, born 1783, married ____ Wood; John, born 1786; Martha, born 1789, married James Purdy.
7. Daniel Strang (3), son of Henry (2), married Mary Hubbs. In 1760 he sold to Hachaliah Brown the farm his father had owned on the Purchase Road. He died in 1821 aged ninety-six; his wife in 1828, aged eighty-eight.
Children: Daniel, Joseph, John, Henry, William, Betsey, Levina.
I. Thomas Steedwell was one of the inhabitants of Greenwich who 'freely yeilded themselves,' Oct. 6, 1656, to the government of New Haven. (Rec. of N.H., vol. ii. p. 216.) With Peter Disbrow and John Coe, he bought the Island of Manussing, June 29, 1660, and was here for some years. 'Thomas Stedwill' signs the declaration of the inhabitants of Hasting, July 26, 1662, and the letter to the Hartford government, Jan. 26, 1663. In 1667 he sold his house and house-lot on the Mill Brook in Rye, and went with Joseph, probably his son, to Stamford. PHist. Stamford, p. 193), but appears to have settled himself at length in the town of Greenwish, where in 1694-1695, his real estate was rated at thirty pounds. (Hist. Greenwich, p. 79.)
II. 1. Joseph Studwell (2), probably son of Thomas (1), was with him at Stamford, and at Greenwich, where his estate is rated in 1694-1695 at eighteen pounds. Soon after he acquired lands in Rye, on Barton's Neck, in Will's purchases on Byram Ridge, in 1705, 1717-1722. He had a son Joseph, called junior in 1734.
2. John Studwell (2), probably son of Thomas (1), signs as witness in 1713.
III. Joseph Studwell (3), junior, son of Joseph (2), was living on King Street in 1740.
I. Joseph Theale is supposed by Savage to be the son of Nicholas, of Watertown, who removed to Stamford in 1645, and died there in 1658. Joseph was born in 1640, and admitted a freeman at Stamford in 1662. He was chosen representative in 1671, 1675, 1676, 1677. He had a good estate at Stamford, but removed to Bedford in the province of New York. The Hartford government in 1682 constituted Bedford a plantation, and appointed Joseph Theale 'to be the present chieife millitary officer for the Train Band.' (Pub. Rec. of Conn., vol. iii. p. 101). By the year 1690 he had left Bedford, for he was then supervisor of this town; and then and in several succeeding years he was appointed with others a committee to procure a minister for the town. He was justice of the peace in 1694. The title, Captain, he seems to have brought from Bedford. He appears to have settled from the first on Budd's Neck, where he doubtless bought land at an early day. In 1705 we find the town treating with Joseph Budd and Captain Theale in the relation to that tract. The farms of some of his descendants have been located here for nearly two hundred years, upon the land which their ancestor thus secured.
In 1705 Captain Theale was associated with Clapp and Horton in the purchase of a tract of land between Rye Pond and Byram River; but refusing to submit to the exaction of a fee for a patent from the government, he forfeited his right. In 1710 he was chosen a chuch-warden of the parish of Rye. He was then seventy years of age, and probably died soon after.
II. 1. Ebenezer Theall (2), probably son of Captain Joseph (1), must have been born during his father's stay at Stamford; as he had a son holding property in 1712. In 1737 he gave his farm of one hundred and twenty acres, lying in the upper part of Budd's Neck, to his oldest son, Charles. He had other sons, Hachaliah, Joseph, and Abraham, and a 'youngest daughter,' Hannah.
III. 1. Charles Theall (3), son of Ebenezer (2), according to the family tradition, owned a tract of land a mile square, extending from Westchester Path to Blind Brook, and from the present southern boudary of the farm lately Abraham Theall's (where the house stands) northward to the old parsonage land, including the late James Halsted's land. Part of this property he received from his father; but he is said to have bought much land, and to have divided the whole into four parts, giving one part to each of his four sons, Gilbert, Joseph, Thomas, and probably Abraham.
2. Hachaliah Theall(3), son of Ebenezer (2), mentioned 1722-1750.
3. Joseph Theall (3), son of Ebenezer (2), mentioned 1747.
4. Abraham (3), youngest son of Captain Ebenezer (2), in 1747 sold land to Joseph.
IV. 1. Gilbert Theall (4), son of Charles (3), mentioned 1768, is said to have owned two hundred acres, bounded on the south and west by North Street, and on the east by the post-road.
2. Joseph Theall (4), son of Charles (3), had the farm south of this, embracing the land now (1870) owned by Mr. Benjamin Mead.
John Thomas, of Rye, in 1670 bought from John Budd of Southold, the tract of land above the Vineyard Farm, which he sold in 1671 to Thomas Statham. Charles Thomas of Rye in 1714 bought eighteen acres in Will's Purchase from John Disbrow. There is nothing to show whether these were of the same family with John Thomas, Esq., of Harrison, half a century later.
Francis Thorne signed as witness in 1678, and was 'now of Rye,' in 1688, when he bought land at Rye on the road to 'the old town.'
William Thorne, of Flushing, in 1729 bought a farm in White Plains.
Samuel Thorne, mentioned 1729, was of White Plains in 1748.
Stevenson Thorne, of North Castle, son of Thomas, married Prudence Merritt, fifteenth of ninth month, 1763. (Friends' Rec.) Isaac of North Castle, son of Thomas, married Rachel Birdsall, eighteenth of fifth month, 1780. (Ibid). About the beginning of this (1800s) century, Henry W. Thorne lived where Mr. Stiles lives now, above Milton.
Garret, James, Robert, and Richard Traves appear in Rye about the same time, 1681-1686; but how related we do not learn. Garret was perhaps here beforfe 1670, as there is mention of a difference between him and John Budd about a piece of land, which Budd's executors settled in 1686. James bought land in 1681 on Budd's Neck but removed to the White Plains. In 1699 'the town doth grant unto James Traves Liberty to settell upon that Land which now he live upon as his own and when the Rest of the Land is Layd out hee shall have his proposion joyning to the above said Land.' (Town Meeting Book, C. p. 4,) This may have been in the White Plains, where James had loand in 1723. James, junior, also bought land there in 1720.
Robert Traves married a daughter of Philip Galpin, of whose portion he acknowledges the receipt in 1685. He had land in the White Plains, 1716-1740. Philip Travis was one of the soldiers of the expedition to Albany in 1690. In 1716 Philip Travis and Hannah his wife sold to Robert their estate in Rye, apparently on the lower part of Rye Neck. Philip, son of Garret Traves, is mentioned in 1707.
Captain Humphrey Underhill was apparently from Stamford, and may have been related to the renowned Captain John, of that place. In 1631 he bought the Vineyard Farm at Rye, from the Sellecks; and in 1698, the town appointed persons to treat with him for land to be approrpiated as a 'parsonage.' As early as 1705 he had a mill on Mamaroneck River, and lived at the White Plains, of which he was one of the patentees in 1722. 'Mr. Underhill,' so called in 1715, was a man of high consideration among his fellow townsmen, who chose him in 1692 for a delicate mission to the government of Connecticut. He was also twice sent as deputy to Hartford during the revolt of the town to Connecticut, 1697-1700. He was living in 1725.
Henry Underhill mentioned 1686-1705.
Abraham Underhill had land at White Plains, 1722-1740. Isaac, son of Abraham, married Sarah, daughter of Robert Field, eighteenth of eighth month, 1756. (Friends' Rec.)
Samuel Underhill in 1772 bought Little Neck, a part of Budd's Neck (now (1870) Mr. S. L. Mitchill's). Samuel junior was witness in the same year.
I. Robert Vowles of Ffowls came, about 1656, from Fairfield to Greenwich (Savage), and in 1662 was made constable for that town. (Col. Rec. of Conn., vol. i. p. 389.) He had joined the Hastings settlement January 1663, and was its first constable in that year, and three times deputy from Rye - 1665, 1668, 16669 - to the General Court. He appears to have been advanced in years when he joined the settlement, most of whose members were young men; and was honored accordingly, as was wont in those old-fashioned days. He is not mentioned after 1685.
Jonathan, son of Richard, was propounded for freeman of Connecticut in 1670. (Col. Rec. of Conn., vol. ii. p. 128.) In 1680 he purchased of his father Richard a parcel of land 'commonly called Monussing Island;' afterwards desceibed as the southernmost neck of that island, and as containing one hundred and fifty acres. To this island he was 'reputed to have a right from the colonyof Connecticut' (Odell's petition, 1717), which could only be by patent for lands which he had duly purchased from the several owners. In 1707 he conveyed this neck to Roger Park, his son-in-law.
Jonathan Vowles married, first, Deborah _____, who was living in 1702, and secondly, Sophia _____. His daughter, first wife of Roger Park (2), appears to have ben the only child. Jonathan was living in 1713. None of this name appear later.
WALTERS or WATERS
Richard Walters was a son-in-law of Philip Galpin; he came to Rye before 1682, and in 1684 bought John Stoakham's rights on Peningo Neck. He had land in White Plains, and was one of the purchasers, with Colonel Heathcote, of the Middle or Whitefield patent (afterwards a part of North Castle.)
Richard Waters, probably the same, signed as witness, 1684-1686. Let us hope that he was not the person of this name who was shot for desertion, in 1696. (N.Y. Col. MSS., vol. iv. p. 165.)
WASCOT or WESTCOT
John Westcot, of Stamford in 1667, and of Befrod in 1680 (Hist. of Stamford, pp. 34, 144), had land in Rye.
Richard Wood, perhaps of the Stamford family of this name, signed as witness in 1681. John was living on King Street in 1725. Stephen is mentioned in 1730. James was here in 1723. 'James Woods of Rye, merchant,' sold land in White Plains previous to 1736, and in 1740. Later, he owned the West Neck and other adjacent lands on the lower end of Budd's Neck. About the middle of the last century, James Woods kept the 'bigg store' near Davenport's mill, on Rye Neck, and appears to have had a thriving business. Jotham Wood was 'punder for Saw Pit' in 1800.
Rev. John Woodbridge.
James Wright 'of Rye, Fairfield County,' in 1681 sold his dwelling-house and new frame, with commons for two cows and swine, and several allotments of land, to Isaac Sherwood. 'Also, said Isaac is to have two rodd of common fence with the land.' It would appear that he was a proprietor. Next year he bought land north of 'the parson's land.' In 1686 Stephen Sherwood sold land on Byram Ridge to James Wright 'the baker, now in Greenwich.'
Jothan Wright, joiner, in 1747 bought a house and land on the road leading up Harrison's Purchase, near the house lately Allen Carpenter's. This, with more land, he sold in 1763, and about the same time bought the place now (1870) owned by the daughters of David H. Mead. Here, as early as 1771, he kept the stage-house, which was known as 'Wright's' until the close of the Revolution. (Gaine's N.Y. Pocket Almanac, 1771-1782.) In 1768, Thomas Wright, physician, of East Chester, released to 'Jotham Wright, ship-joiner, of Rye' all his right to the messuage of twenty acres, which Jotham bought of Timothy Wetmore, etc. (Co. Rec. vol. ii, p. 361.)
Reuben, Keziah and Tabitha Wright, signed as witnesses in 1769 and 1763.
Christopher Youngs of Southold, had land from John Budd, senior, in 1671. Mary Young is mentioned among John Budd's children.