History Of Rye, NY
Chronicle of a Border Town
Westchester County, New York
Including Harrison and White Plains till 1788
by Charles W. Baird
Anson D. F. Randolph and Company
No. 770 Broadway
Early Families, JACKSON to PEARCE/PIERCE
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
John Jackson was a member of the original settlement on Manussing Island. He was a witness to the Indian deed, May 22, 1661, for the second purchase on Peningo Neck, and one of the signers of the letter to the General Court, Jan. 26, 1663, when he wrote his name 'Jagson.' He removed soon after to East Chester, and was one of the founders of that town in 1665. In 1670, 'John Jackson of Eastchester in the Duke of York his territories in America,' sold his house and lands at Rye, together with all rights and privileges there, to 'John Purdy, now inhabitant at Eastchester as aforesaid, for the sum of forty-five pounds, and a heifer of two years old, and some vantage, as is agreed by both parties.'
Thomas Jefferies was here early, but the only record of his stay is the mention of a lot 'formerly' his, given in 1686 to Benjamin Collier; and the name of a locality apparently called after him. In 1701, the proprietors agreed to build a school-house, and to set it 'near Tom Jeffers' hill.'
The land that was John Jees,' near Andrew Coe's swamp, is mentioned in 1704. The name does not recur. A John Gee died in Boston in 1693. Mr. Savage mentions others.
Samuel Jenkins was of Greenwich in 1672. (Savage). In 1684 he bought land at Rye, with a house and home-lot, which he sold again in 1703. 'Jenkins his lot' is referred to in 1718.
I. Timothy Knap came to Rye as early as 1667, when he bought Thomas Studwell's house and home-lot near 'the mill brook.' His father, Nicholas Knap, had emigrated to New England in 1630, and settled first in Watertown, Mass., where this son was born Dec. 14, 1632. Thence he removed to Stamford, Conn. (Savage). Timothy became an active member of the community at Rye. He was constable of the town in 1681, 1682. He had proprietory rights through Studwell; and the record of 'sevearl parcels of land' of his in 1680, shows that he had a considerable estate. At his house, which was somewhere near the spot where Mr. David Kirby now (1870) lives, religious services were held in and before 1682.
Toward the latter part of the century, he removed to Greenwich, where he was living in 1697, and where he seems to have taken a leading part in church matters. Joshua Knap, a brother of Timothy, born Jan. 5, 1835, settled in Greenwich as early as 1688. (Hist. of Greenwich, p. 71).
II. Timothy Knao, 'junior' (2), owned land on Barton's Neck in 1689. He inherited his father's proprietary rights in Rye, where he remained. In 1745 he sold to his two sons Daniel and Amos, for five hundred pounds, his homestead and house 'where I now dwell,' comprising fourteen acres; and another parcel 'whereon my barn stands,' containing seventy acres, together with all his other lands, and his right in undivided lands in Peningo Neck purchase. The house-lot is that on the northeast corner of Milton Avenue, and the road to the Beach, now (1870) belonging, together with the larger tract on the south side of that road, to the late Newberry Halsted's estate.
He left three sons: Daniel, Amos, and Gabriel.
III. 'Timothy Knap, Gabriel Knapp and Daniel Knapp' are mentioned in a deed of 1768 as having formerly sold the property above described to Ezekiel Halsted. Mr. Halsted died in 1757. He had removed from New Rochelle to Rye in 1746. Timothy Knap was probably living, and confirmed the sale to Halsted, made by his sons Gabriel and Daniel, Amos not being named.
I. George Kniffen, of Stratford, Conn., in 1666 bought a house and land in Rye from John Budd senior; 'the house being situated in the town formerly called Hastings.' (Probate Records Fairfield Co.) At the same time probably he acquired proprietary rights which continued in his family as long as the corporation subsisted. He was 'propownded for freeman' of the colony in 1670, his name appearing as 'George Snuffene, of Ry.' (Conn. Rec., vol. ii, p. 128.) His 'house-lot, laid out in 1678' seems to have been situated where his descendant Jonathan Sniffen now (1870) lives. He died in 1694.
A son, Joseph, and a daughter who married John Stoakman, are known. Five others of the name are presumed to be his sons: Ebenezer, Jonathan, George, Nathan and Samuel.
II. 1. Joseph (2), son of George Kniffen (1) is named as early as 1703. In 1711 he lived near 'Tom Jeffer's hill,' the present (1870) site of the Episcopal Church.
2. Jonathan (2), mentioned 1697-1721, had land in the north end of the town.
3. Ebenezer (2), first mentioned 1700, had land in the Town Field. The proprietors of Lame Will's Purchase in 1709 gave him land on Hog-pen Ridge, 'in consideration of moneys lent to the town, which belonged to his wife's portion.' He died about 1722.
5. George (2), mentioned 1705-1718, is alluded to as early as 1687, his father then calling himself senior. In 1705 Deliverance Brown, senior, sold to George Kniffen four or five acres in the Great Swamp. This locality was between Ridge Street and Regent Street, south of the road to Park's mill. There 'the Kniffens' owned land long after.
5. Nathan (2), mentioned 1701-1708, bought land on Gunn Brook Plain, or in the neighborhood of Dr. Sands' property. He was living in 1741, when he was called 'senior.' He had Nathan and Caleb.
6. Samuel (2), probably the youngest son of George Kniffen (1), was constable and collector of Rye in 1701. He married a daughter of Francis Purdy. His petition to the govenor (about 1701) states that he is 'a prisoner in the common Gaol of the County, being destitute of many friends.' The inhabitants of the town of Ryde had made choice of him for constable, and afterwards the collector's place was laid upon him; 'and being a young man verry ignorant of any office was flattered by the people so that the Rates which he was to collect through his simplicity are great part in arrears.' This has brought him into this desitute condition; and 'haveing a poor distressed wife at home big with child expecting every hour her deliverance, and no body to help her,' he implores his excellency to grant him enlargement, 'so that he may go and collect said taxes with all severity.' (N.Y. Col. MSS., vol. xxxviii, p. 215.) These taxes were those that had accumulated during the revolt of the town to Connecticut. The inhabitants evidently did not blame the collector for his lenity; and the governor must have granted his petiton; for he was made one of the townsmen of Rye the next year, 1702. He died before 1707. (Ibid. vol. lii, p. 41.)
III. 1. Joseph Kniffen (3), called 'junior' in 1732, was perhaps a son of Joseph (2). He lived apparently about where Mr. T. Theall now (1870) lives, on Grace Church Street. In 1752 he sold to Josiah Purdy twenty-two acres 'beginning at the corner by the entrance of Grace church street.' Thomas and Obadiah Kniffen were perhaps his sons.
2. Ebenezer (3) is named in 1735 with Joseph (3) as if brothers. He was a man of means and influence; acquiring as proprietor and by purchase a considerable landed property. He was justice of the peace in 1755 and 1769. He lived in 'the town-plot,' on or near the site of the house opposite the Episcopal Church, now (1870) Mr. Daniel Budd's; and owned a farm of ninety acres, bounded by Grace Church Street and the Milton Road. This farm he sold, about the year 1768, to Ezekiel Halsted, who conveyed it to Philemon Halsted soon after. Ebenezer Kniffen removed in 1769 to Courtlandt Manor.
3. Jonathan (3), son of Johnathan Kniffen (2), in 1745 owned land east of the Hog-pen Ridge Road. He died about 1758, leaving a son Jonathan.
4. George (3), perhaps a son of George Kniffen (2), in 1712-1717 bought land on Brush Ridge, and called himself 'George Kniffen of Brushie Ridge.' He afterwards lived on King Street, but by the year 1744 had removed to North Castle, where he died in or before 1750. He left two sons: George and David; and probably Israel.
5. Nathan (3), son of Nathan Kniffen (2), had land in 1741-1751 between Grace Church Street and Boston Road.
6. Caleb (3), son of Nathan Kniffen (2), was perhaps the person of this name who lived in White Plains.
7. Samuel (3), mentioned in 1718, perhaps an older son of Samuel Kniffen (2).
8. William (3), son of Samuel Kniffen (2), was born about 1702. At the Court of Sessions in Westchester, in 1716, 'Francis Purdy junior acquaints ye Court at ye Request of his father Francis Purdy senior, yt William Sneffin son of Samuel Sniffin deceased, who dying when ye said son William was but two years old, and upon his death-bed gave ye said William unto his grandfather Francis Purdy senior until he attained to ye Age of twenty-one years,' is now fourteen years old; and his friends ask to have him bound to a good trade. (Westchester Co. Records, lib. B. p. 68.)
Of this generation there were several others, probably grandsons of George (1), but whose immediate parentage I cannot ascertain. Andrew Kniffen is mentioned in 1724; Benjamin in 1727; Thomas in 1740; Nehemiah in 1741; Amos in 1744. Thomas lived on Grace Church Street, and was perhaps a son of Joseph (2). Amos Kniffen bought in 1752 the house where Mr. Ezrahiah Wetmore now (1870) lives, with eight acres.
IV. 1. Thomas Kniffen (4), perhaps the son of Joseph (3), was the father of Thomas and Nehemiah. He is said to have lived where the entrance to Mr. Quintard's place now (1870) is.
2. Obadiah Kniffen (4) in 1732 adopted the 'ear-mark' or cattle-brand of Joseph (3). These marks were generally transmitted from father to son.
3. George Kniffen (4), 'eldest son and heir to George Kniffen, late of North Castle, deceased,' in 1750 surrendered all interest in the farm at Rye which his father had owned, and where his brother then lived. He probably settled in North Castle.
4. David Kniffen (4), brother of George (4), was living on King Street in 1752.
5. Israel Kniffen (4), probably a son of George (3), had removed to 'Philipsburgh manor' by the year 1745, when he sold land at Rye which he had acquired 'on the right of William Odell, one of the Proprietors. This right George Kniffen had bouth in 1706, 1715 and 1717.
6. Jonathan (4), son of Jonathan Kniffen (3), owned a large tract of land between Regent Street or 'Sniffen's lane' as it was then called, and Purchase Avenue, or the road to Park's mill; extending southward to the Boston Road. He lived on Regent Street, in a house which formerly stood opposite Mrs. A. Sherwood's barn.
7. Samuel Kniffen (4), 'junior, of Phillips' manor,' in 1748 bought of Abraham Theall ninety and one half acres bounded northwest by Westchester Brook. A part of this land - lying near the stone bridge - remained in the possession of the Sniffen family until within a few years. Samuel's wife was Rebecca.
8. John Kniffen (4), perhaps a brother of Samuel (3), married Hannah Sawyer. According to family tradition, he lived in a house wouth of the stone bridge, on land now (1870) belonging to the Presbyterian church, and owned considerable land, extending back to Beaver Swamp. This was the farm above described as bought by Samuel in 1748. John had seven sons:
John, Caleb, Isaac, Nathanel, Hachaliah, William, Elisha, and three daughters; Nancy, who married Rev. Henry Belding; Lavinia, Deborah.
9. Caleb Kniffen (4), brother of John (4), and perhaps of Samuel (4), lived in 1751 where his son Caleb lived in the early part of this century (1800s), on the road from Port Chester to the Purchase, near Mr. Peyton's present (1870) residence.
V. 1. Thomas Kniffen (5), son of Thomas (4), was about fourteen years old at the outbreak of the Revolution. His sons Samuel and Jonathan Sniffen are now (1870) living in Rye.
2. Nehemiah (5), son of Thomas (4).
3. Elisha Kniffen (5), son of John (4), born July 11, 1773, married Amy Seaman, born June 11, 1777. He removed from Rye to Saw Pit, now (1870) Port Chester, and died there March 6, 1851; his wife died Dec. 19, 1858. They had two sons, Sylvanus S., and Seaman H., and three daughters, Henrietta, Amy M.
4. Caleb Kniffen (5), son of Caleb (4), lived in the old house near Mr. Peyton's, and died about 1828.
Other sons of John (4) - John, Nathanael, Hachaliah - were married, and had children, whose descendants are living in the town or in New York. (1870).
VI. 1. Seaman H. Sniffen (6), son of Elisha (5), born April 6, 1805, married Emeline Smith, who died in 1845. They had six sons:
John, Charles, Sylvanus S. (my informant - died Dec., 1870), William C., Isaac, Mitchell M.; and two daughters: Elizabeth and Henrietta.
Benjamin Kniffen, perhaps the Benjamin mentioned in 1724, died about the close of the Revolution. His will, dated 1783, names his sons:
Andrew, Roger, and Benjamin; and his daughters: Gertrude Bull, Phoebe Bull, Sarah Kniffen, Mary Wilson, Elizabeth Sherwood, and Jemima Merritt.
Andrew had three sons: Jeremiah, Roger and Andrew; and two daughters, Eliza and Gertrude.
Benjamin had three sons: Benjamin, James and Abraham. (Probate Rec., Westchester Co.).
Roger Kniffen was living in 1783-1788 on 'Gratious' Street.
'Widow Sniffen' had her children baptized, July 22, 1792: Sarah, John and Isaac, adults; and William, Anna, Hachaliah, Deborah, Nathan and Levina, young children.
Walter Lancaster was from Fairfield, Conn., where he lived in 1654, when he is said to have lands perhaps never occupied, but removed soon (Savage). He was a member of the settlement on Manussing Island in 1663, but in 1674 had sold his rights, which were acquired by Peter Disbrow and Joseph Purdy. Lancaster went to East Chester, where at last he became stationary. He was one of the freeholders of that town in 1682, and a contributor in 1685 to the maintenance of a minister. John Lancaster, a pew-holder in the church there in 1696, may have been his son. (Bolton, Hist. of Westchester Co., vol. i. p. 122 seq.)
I. 1. George Lane was here as early as 1666. He was constable of Rye in 1671, and was frequently chosen as one of the 'layers-out' of the undivided lands. He became one of the patriarchs of the village, being alive in 1719. 'George Lane's old house-lot' was at the corner of the Purchase Road and the Boston Road, where Mr. William Smith lately lived. The house stood nearly opposite the point where Locust Avenue begins.
II. 1. 'George Lane, gentleman,' removed early to the 'White Plains.' He was living there in 1714, and in 1721 his house stood on the present (1870) corner of Broadway and North Street. His proprietary rights at Rye were eventually acquired by the Rev. James Wetmore. He was living in 1733.
2. Samuel Lane (2), probably a younger son of George (1), first mentioned 1695, was one of the townsmen in 1699, and for the long period of forty years - from 1697 to 1736 - was the town clerk of Rye. His house in 1728 stood on the site of Mr. Josiah Purdy's present (1870) residence, near the railroad station. He was a 'Proprietor' in 1732, undoubtedly 'the right right' of his father. He died in 1736.
III. 1. Daniel Lane (3), of White Plains in 1729-1740, was probably a son of George (2).
2. Jonathan Lane (3) of White Plains, 1729-1740, was probably another son of George (2).
3. Samuel Lane (3) of Rye, son of Samuel (2), sold his father's house in Rye to Raphael Jacobs, from whom the Rev. James Wetmore bought it. Here Esther Wetmore, wife of Jesse Hunt, lived for many years.
4. Hezekiah Lane, perhaps a son of George or Samuel, in 1726 bought land in Fauconier's Purchase (now a part of North Castle) from Richard Ogden.
IV. Samuel Lane (4), son of Samuel (3), 'called junior' in 1741, bought in that year the house formerly John Merritt's, junior, on Merritt's Point, with eleven and one half acres.
'Samuel Lane, age 22, tanner,' and 'Reuben Lane, age 16, labourer,' were among the men enlisted at Rye for the French and Indian War in 1758 and 1759. The former may have been a son of Samuel (4).
Gabriel LInch, mentioned 1688. In the following year the town granted him ten acres of land above the marked trees, laid out 'by the lower falls of Blind broo,' north of the branch of the brook.
Jonathan Linch, called 'Captain,' was one of the petitioners in 1721 for a patent for the White Plains purchase. 'The heirs of Capt.' Linch are spoken of in 1740.
John Lynch had land in 1737 in White Plains.
Gabriel Lynch was one of the commissioners of highways for the town of Rye in 1765. A release of land at White Plains, to be annexed to the Presbyeterian burying-ground, bears the signature of Gabriel Lynch, as one having proprietor's rights in that purchase. (Bolton, Hist. of Westchester Co., vol. ii, p. 364.)
'Jonathan, son of Still John Lockwood, of Greenwich,' bought in 1744 the house and eight acres where Mr. E. Wetmore now (1870) lives; but in 1751 he had removed to North Castle.
Richard Lounsbery was an early settler, and one of the proprietors of Peningo Neck. He is mentioned in 1672. He sold his land and rights there in 1673-1682, but retained land on Budd's Neck, which by his will, Jan. 2, 1690, he left to his wife Elizabeth and two eldest sons.
Thomas, Michael, John, Henry and Mary.
Of Thomas, who had rights in the White Plains purchase from his father, we hear nothing more. Michael was 'of Stamford' in 1709. Mr. Huntington states that he there married Sarah Lockwood, and that the name is quite common in the upper part of that town. (Hist. of Stamford, p. 188). John, 'son of Richard Lounsbery deceased,' appears to have remained here. His name occurs frequently as witness from 1706 to 1723.
Isaac Lounsbery, son or grandson of Richard, was 'of Budd's neck' in 1729, living apparently on the land which Richard had owned there. Some time previous to the year 1760 he conveyed his farm to Daniel Purdy. 'Lounsbery Farm' has retained its first possessor's name to the present day (1870). It is now the property of James H. Parsons, Esq.
William Lounsbery, perhaps a son of Isaac, had land on the west side of the road on Budd's Neck in 1760. He or a nameskae was living in the same vicinity at the time of the Revolution.
The tradition in this family runs that Thomas Lyon and John Banks came together from Yorkshire, England, about the year 1640, to the spot where they settled on the east bank of Byram River, which they reached by boat from Stamford. Saving the date, which is many years too early, the legend may be correct. Thomas Lyon was a land-holder in Stamford in 1650 and 1652. (Hist of Stamford, pp. 57, 60.) He is said to have been born December 1621. He married Abigail ______.
John, Thomas, Samuel, Joseph, Deborah, Sarah, Hannah, Rachel, _____.
The marriage of 'John Banks and Abigail Lyon is on record at Stamford, as occurring April 3, 1672. I am led to think that this Abigail was the widow of Thomas Lyon above named. In 1719 John Banks (3) and John Lyon (3) style themselves nephrews of Samuel Lyon (2). (N.Y. Col. MSS., lxi. 156.) This would imply that their fathers were brothers0in-law, or half-brothers; the latter conjecture seems probable from the name, as Thomas had a wife but no daughter Abigail.
II. 1. John Lyon (2), son of Thomas (1), mentioned as brother of Joseph of Rye, was living in 1710 at Greenwich.
2. Thomas Lyon (2), son of Thomas (1), married Abigail Ogden. He lived in the homestead near Byram Bridge.
Thomas, Abigail, Samuel, Elizabeth, Jonathan, Jemima, David, Joseph, Mary, Deborah, Gilbert.
3. Samuel Lyon (2), son of Thomas (1), mentoned 1700 as living in Greenwich, and again 1707.
4. Joseph Lyon (2) son of Thomas (1) of Rye in 1710, and had the mill on Blind Brook Creek in 1719.
III. 1. Thomas Lyon (3), 'of King street,' son of Thomas (2), married Phoebe Vowles. He removed in 1750 to the farm which his father had bought of his brother Samuel, now (1870) owned by William Bush. He had a son Andrew, and perhaps other children.
2. Samuel Lyon (3), of Rye, son of Thomas (2), was born Oct. 14, 1701. He married, Dec. 23, 1735, Hannah _____, born June 1, 1712. In 1750 Samuel Lyon, 'mariner,' bought land near Byram harbor, on the neck called from him 'Lyon's point.' He died March 13, 1756, and was buried in the family grave-yard 'at old Byram.'
Samuel, William, Nehemiah, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Abraham, Monmouth, Abigail, Hannah, Silvanus.
3. Jonathan Lyon (3), son of Thomas (2).
4. David Lyon (3), son of Thomas (2).
5. Joseph Lyon (3), of Greenwich, son of Thomas (2), married Mary, eldest daughter of Peter Disbrow. In 1735 he gave to John Boyd one half of Disbrow's property in Rye.
Nothing has been ascertained regarding the descendants of these four sons.
6. Gilbert Lyon (3) of Byram, youngest son of Thomas (2), born July 20, 1719, married Jane Kniffen. He lived in the homestead near Byram Bridge.
Deborah, Gilbert, Sarah, Andrew, Joshua, Simeon, Abigail, Elizabeth, Abraham.
VI. 1. Andrew Lyon (4), son of Thomas (3) of King Street, born Oct., 1728; died Aug. 22, 1809; married Sarah Budd. He lived on the farm now (1870) William Bush's.
Underhill, Tamar, Polly, Sarah.
2. Samuel Lyon (4), eldest son of Samuel (3) of Rye, was born Oct. 11, 1725.
3. William (4), second son, born Jan. 15, 1726.
4. Nehemiah (4), third son, born Feb. 10, 1728, died Dec. 9, 1758.
5. Elizabeth (4), daughter of Samuel Lyon (3), born June 30, 1732, married _____ Sherwood; died Jan. 22, 1786.
6. Benjamin (4), fourth son of Samuel Lyon (3), born March 7, 1733.
7. Abraham (4), fifth son, born Aug. 9, 1736, died Oct. 29, 1758.
8. Monmouth Lyon (4), sixth son of Samuel (3), born Oct. 19, 1738, died Dec. 7, 1791.
9. Abigail (4), second daughter, born Dec. 25, 1742.
10. Hannah (4), third daughter, born July 23, 1744, died April 18, 1795.
11. Silvanus Lyon (4), of White Plains, seventh son of Sameul (3), born Jan. 7, 1746, married Oct. 6, 1790, Sarah, daughter of Isaac Purdy of White Plains - born Aug. 9, 1757, died Dec. 25, 1844. He died Sept. 3, 1730 [trans note: has to be a typo. He was born in 1746....this date might be 1780??).
Monmouth, Hannah, Sylvanus.
12. Deborah (4), daughter of Gilbertg (3) and Jane Lyon, born March 26, 1743, married Caleb Merritt.
13. Gilbert (4), son of Gilbert Lyon (3), born July 13, 1745, married Ruth Lyon. He lived where his grandson Elisha now (1870) lives. Gilbert had a son Thomas.
14. Sarah (4), daughter of Gilbert Lyon (3), born Jan. 17, 1749, married Andrew Miller.
15. Andrew (4), son of Gilbert Lyon (3), born Aug. 5, 1751, married Eunice Kniffen. He had a son Andrew.
16. Joshua (4), son of Gilbert Lyon (3), born Feb. 5, 1754, married Elizabeth Purdy, and died Oct. 2, 1841. Children: Samuel, Gilbert, Joshua, John.
17. Simeon (4), son of Gilbert Lyon (3), born Aug. 20, 1756, married Mary Mills. No children.
18. Abigail (4), daughter of Gilbert Lyon (3), born April 5, 1760, married Jan. 3, 1780, Daniel Purdy, who was born Jan. 15, 1759, and died April 17, 1817. She died July 3, 1841.
John Purdy, born March 25, 1781, married three times: died April 21, 1866.
Nehemiah Purdy, born Jan. 28, 1783, married Amy M. Brown.
Rebecca Purdy, born July 19, 1787, married Samuel Townsend; died Aug. 11, 1831.
Daniel Purdy, born Sept. 13, 1799, married Rachel Brundage.
William Purdy, born March 3, 1804, married Dorcas Park; died Dec. 17, 1859.
19. Elizabeth (4), daughter of Gilbert Lyon (3), born Aug. 19, 1763, married Samuel Lyon. Mr. Thomas Lyon, now (1870) living on Ridge Street, is their son.
20. Abraham (4), son of Gilbert Lyon (2), married Hannah Mills. He lived in the old homestead nar Byram Bridge, and had three sons: Fitch, Seth and Elias. Seth Lyon is the present (1870) occupant; Fitch lives with him.
V. 1. Underhill (5), son of Andrew Lyon (4), born in 1763, married Mary, daughter of Ezekiel Halsted; died May 24, 1795. He lived in the house next to the bridge, on the west side of Byram River.
Harriet, Sarah Budd, Eliza Jane, Mary.
2. Tamar (5), daughter of Andrew Lyon (4), married ____ Purdy, and had several children.
3. Polly (5), daughter of Andrew Lyon (4), married first _____ Bush, and had a son and two daughters; second ____ Davenport.
4. Sarah (5), daughter of Andrew Lyon (4), married Ezekiel, son of Ezekiel Halsted, and had five children.
5. Monmouth (5), son of Silvanus Lyon (4), born Dec. 7, 1791, married June 28, 1814, Alethea Lyon, born May 3, 1791.
Thomas C.; Sarah Ann, who married Francis Secor, and died Oct. 29, 1844; Caroline, who married William Schotts; John, died young; John P.; Sylvanus; George, died young; William J.
6. Hannah (5), daughter of Silvanus Lyon (4), was born Jan. 19, 1795.
7. Sylvanus (5), son of Silvanus Lyon (4), born Sept. 14, 1797, died Nov. 18, 1836.
8. Thomas (5), son of Gilbert Lyon (4), was the father of Elisha Lyon.
9. Andrew (5), son of Andrew Lyon (4), had a son Andrew.
10. Samuel (5), son of Joshua Lyon (4), no children.
11. Gilbert (5), son of Joshua Lyon (4), known as Captain Gilbert, was born Dec. 28, 1787; married Deborah Lyon (4), born Nov. 4, 1795. Children: Alvah A., Gilbert, Robert M., James M., William P.
12. Joshua (5), son of Joshua (4), no children.
13. John (5), son of Joshua Lyon (4), lived on Weaver Street.
VI. 1. Harriet (6), daughter of Underhill Lyon (5), married _____ Belden. Children: Mary, George.
1. Sarah Budd (6), daughter of Underhill Lyon (5), married Jan. 21, 1819, Rev. Isaac Parsons, born in Southampton, Mass.; graduated at Yale Collee 1811, at Andover Seminary 1814; settled in East Hadam, Conn., 1816; dismissed 1856; died Aug. 21, 1868.
Children: Mary, Harrietg, Sarah (died young), Henry M., Elizabeth.
3. Eliza Jane (6), daughter of Underhill Lyon (5), born March 5, 1792; married David N. Lord, Esq., of New York; died Dec.7, 1840.
4. Mary (6), daughter of Underhill Lyon (5), born 1794, died 1816.
VII. 1. Mary (7), daughter of Harriet [Lyon (6)] Belden, married _____ Coit.
1. George (7), son of Harriet [Lyon (6)] Belden.
2. Mary (7), daughter of Rev. Isaac and Sarah B. [Lyon (6)] Parsons, born Dec. 3, 1821, married S.E. Swift, M.D. of Colchester, Conn.; died Oct., 1856. Children: Theodore, George, Edward.
4. Harriet (7), second daughter, born April 12, 1823, married, in 1847, Rev. Warren C. Fiske, now (1870) of Wolcott, Conn. Children: Henry (died young), Isaac, Sarah, William.
5. Henry M. (7), son of Rev. Isaac and Sarah B. [Lyon (6)] Parspns, born Nov. 13, 1828, graduated at Yale College 1848, at Theological Institute 1854; settled as pastor of First Congregational Church (Columbus Avenue), Boston, 1780; married, Jan. 16, 1855, Mary E. Dudley of Richmond Va.
Ella, Jessie, Emma, Howard (died 1865), Walter.
6. Elizabeth (7), third daughter of Rev. Isaac and Sarah B. Parsons, born June 15, 1830, married Nov., 1857, Zechariah Cone of East Haddam, Conn.
Children: Jennie, Mary, Alice (died 1868), Elizabeth, Newton.
Thomas and John Merrit came here early, Thomas being mentioned in 1673 and John in 1678. We know nothing of their antecedants. It is supposed that they were brothers, but we have no evidence that such was the case. Both obtained proprietor's rights.
I. Thomas Merrit (1), called senior in 1698, had married, perhaps as his second wife, Mary, youngest daughter of Robert Francis of Wethersfield, Conn. (Rec.) She was born, says Mr. Savage, in 1656. An 'indenture' regarding the dispostiion of his property after death, assigns to his wife the use of his house, etc., which is to descend to his eldest son. He had proprietary rights with Robert Bloomer. He lived nearly opposite the spot where the Park Institute now (1870) stands. In 1702 he gave to his son, Thomas junior, his house-lot, where he [the son] now lives.'
Thomas Merrit was one of the princial men of the place. He was sent with Deliverance Brown in January, 1697, to Hartford, to petition the General Court of Connecticut to take the town back into its jurisdiction. (Conn. Rec., vol. iv. p. 192.) He was forward in the matter of building a 'meeting-house' and parsonage, and procuring a minister, while under Connecticut. He seems to have taken no part in town affairs after this. He was living in 1713.
Thomas, Ephraim, Samuel, and perhaps others.
II. 1. Thomas Merrit (2), eldest son of Thomas (1), was called Sergeant Merrit. He lived in the house above mentioned. His death occurred before 1729. Children:
Thomas, Edward, John, Benoni, and perhaps others.
2. Samuel Merrit (2), son of Thomas (1), mentioned 1706, in 1720 had from Thomas (2) of Rye his lands in the White Plains. Samuel had settled there, and was the father of William, of White Plains, and perhaps of George.
III. 1. Thomas Merrit (3), son of Thomas (2), went to the White Plains but sold his farm in 1740 to Monmouth Hart, and removed to King Street, where he was living in 1755-1768. He was the father of Shubael Merrit.
2. Edward Merrit (3), son of Thomas (2), is mentioned 1740-1755; was living in 1748.
3. John Merrit (3), son of Thomas (2), mentioned 1721, was of King Street in 1727.
4. Benoni Merrit (3), son of Thomas (2), mentioned 1720; in 1724 bought from Richard Cornell of Cow Neck two hundred acres in 'Forcaneer's [Fauconier's] west patent.' In 1737 he was 'of Oyster Bay, merchant,' and sold his house and sixteen acres of land on the country road at Rye.
5. William Merrit (3), son of Samuel (2), in 1739 bought from Joseph Haight and others one hundred acres in Harrison's Purchase, 'beginning at the bridge over Mamaroneck river in the White Plains road,' and lying between the river and the 'land of ye Heavlins.' He was living in 1755. He had two sons - Joseph and Elijah.
6. George Merrit of White Plains, perhaps a brother of William, bought at the same time for the same price a similar tract of land north of his. He was living in 1752.
IV. Joseph (4), son of William (3), had four sons - Abraham (5), Joshua (5) (father of Abraham (6), David (6), and Joseph (6) now (1870) living), David (5) and James (5). Joseph died Sept. 3, 1793.
I. John Merrit (1), mentioned 1678, bought in 1680, from several individuals about forty acres of land between Byram River and Gunn Brook Creek; and in 1686 he had an allotment of twenty acres more in the same locality. Thus and by other purchases he acquired early a considerable tract, beginning with Lyon's Point, then Merrit's Point, and extending some distance below Port Chester, on both sides of Grace Church Street. He was living here in 1706. He had proprietor's rights with John Boyd. John Merrit 'senior' is mentioned as late as 1724.
John, Jonathan, Andrew, and perhaps Joseph.
II. 1. John Merrit (2), son of John (1) is called junior in 1700. He had land in Will's Purchase. He had a son John.
2. Jonathan Merrit (2), called 'son of John Merrit senior' in 1718, is mentioned 1708. He lived in 1744 'near Byram river or harbour.' He had a son Jonathan and a son John.
3. Andrew Merrit (2), son of John (1), lived on Merrit't Point. In 1706, 'John Merrit senior, husbandman,' gave his son Andrew 'my farm where I dwell,' bounded east by Byram River, north by Gunn Brook Cove, west by the Hassocky Meadow Brook, and the country road, and south by Richard Ogden's land; to be his 'when he shall attain the age of twenty-one years.'
Andrew Merrit, who lived on Grace Street Church in 1757, and was called captain, 1749=1760, was probably the son of Andrew (2).
4. Joseph Merrit (2), perhaps a son of John (1), is mentioned 1707, when he took up lands on Hog-pen Ridge. In 1708 he was one of the proprietors of Will's purchases. In 1740 he sold to Gilbert Bloomer thirty-two acres near the present Park's mill. He had a son called Joseph junior in 1727.
III. 1. John Merrit (3), son of John (2), is called 'junior' in 1732.
2. Jonathan Merrit (3), son of Jonathan (2), lived on Hog-pen Ridge in 1757. In 1748, Jonathan (2) of Rye conveyed to his son Jonathan (3) his house and twenty acres, between 'Byram river harbour' and the road or street. This property Jonathan seems to have sold, as he did Fox Island in 1753, to Samuel Lyon.
3. John Merrit (3), son of Jonathan (2), in 1750 sold part of his father's estate to Samuel Lyon.
4. Andrew Merrit (3), perhaps son of Andrew (2).
5. Joseph Merrit (3), called junior in 1727, lived on the southeast corner of the Ridge Road and the road to Park's mill. He had a son Joseph.
IV. 1. Jonathan (4), son of Jonathan (3), was perhaps the person, - father of Jonathan, Abraham, Daniel and Thomas - several of whose descendants are now (1870) living in the town. He had also three daughters - Alethea, Elizabeth and Mary.
2. Joseph Merrit (4), son of Joseph (3), was born Jan. 14, 1731. He married Ruth _____, born June 3, 1737; and died May 19, 1782.
Joseph, born Feb. 15, 1753.
Nehemiah, born March 3, 1756.
Joseph, born Oct. 12, 1760.
Daniel, born March 31, 1764.
Anna, born June 20, 1766.
Sarah, born May 14, 1768.
Jotham, born July 19, 1770.
John, born April 14, 1774.
Lot, born March 2, 1777.
V. 1. Nehemiah Merrit (4), son of Joseph (4), lived on Ridge Street, where Mr. W. Acker now (1870) lives. He had two sons, John and Daniel; and a daughter unmarried. He died about the year 1836.
2. Daniel Merrit (5), son of Joseph (4).
3. Anna Merrit (5), daughter of Joseph (4), married Nathaniel Brown, of Scarsdale.
4. Jotham Merrit (5), son of Joseph (4), had one son, John A. Merrit.
5. Lot Merrit (5), son of Joseph (4), had no children.
VI. 1. John Merrit (6), son of Nehemiah (5), is living on the upper part of Ridge Street (1870). Children: Daniel, Ezra B., Joseph.
James Miller, in 1681 had land on Budd's Neck near 'the old Westchester path.' In 1701 'the towne hath granted by a voat unto James Miller tenn eakers of land within the White Plaines puches to be Layd out by those layers out which was chosen to lay out the White Plaines to the best of their descretion.' He is mentioned again about 1708.
Abraham Miller, mentioned 1708-1738, was perhaps a son of James. In 1720, he sold a tract of land on Brown's Point in Harrison. In 1745, Abraham Miller lived directly north of Abraham Bush's land (now (1870) Gershom Bulkley's) in Saw Pit. A namesake, perhaps a son of his, was of Saw Pit, 1783-1792.
Samuel Miller, mentioned 1718-1727, was of Budd's Neck. In 1741 he sold seventy acres of land situated apparently where Janes (1) owned in 1681. The next year he sold to his father-in-law, Joseph Lyon, a considerable tract of land in the lower part of Harrison.
Anthony Miller, perhaps another son, mentioned 1711-1718. In 1640 [1740??] he had land in White Plains.
Gilbert Miller, 'son of Abraham,' 1752, was of King Street in 1759. He died in April 1792.
William Miller was of Harrison in 1771.
Daniel and Richard Miller were living in the upper part of the town at the beginning of this (1800s) century.
Roger Miller's name occurs in 1793.
James Miller lived on North Street in 1761-1764.
Lyon Miller, in 1775, was chosen first lieutenant of a company raised in 'Harrison and the upper part of King street.' (N.Y. Rev. Papers, vol. i. p. 159). 'Lyon Miller died March 15, 1814, aged seventy-seven years, eight months, and eleven days. Susanna, wife of Lyon Miller, died July 14, 1802, aged sixty-nine years.' (Cemetery near Mamaroneck).
William Odell was perhaps a son of William Odell of Concord, Mass. (Savage.) If so, he came over at the age of five years in 1639 with his father, who settled in Fairfield. William Odell was one of the first settlers of Rye. He was with the Hastings planters in 1662, and continued here apparently until his death, which occurred between 1697 and 1700. He had land in various divisions during his life. His house-lot, afterward John Brondige's, was about the northern part of Mr. J.E. Cornint's garden.
He married a daughter of Richard Vowles of Rye. Our records mention his sons John and Samuel. The latter is not mentioned by Mr. Bolton in the pedigree which he gives of William Odell's descendants (History of Westchester Co., vol. ii. p. 536); according to which, William had five sons, Stephen, John, Michael, Isaac and Jonathan. Perhaps the first name should read Samuel.
II. 1. John Odell (2), son of William (1), signed as witness in 1683. He removed to Fordham, and is the ancestor of the numerous family of this name in the western part of the county. In 1706, John Odell of Fordham sold to George Kniffin of Rye his interest in the undivided lands, 'below the marked trees which belongs unto the Eighteen;' namely a thirty-sixth part of said lands, which part 'was his deceased father William Odell's.' For the descendants of John, see Bolton's History, vol. ii. pp. 536, 537.
2. Samuel Odell (2), son of William, in 1684 had from his father William all his title and interest in the White Plains purchase. He removed, like his brother, to the Manor of Fordham, where with his wife Patience he was 'very well settled to his satisfaction,' when, about the year 1693, his uncle Jonathan Vowles, of Rye, 'happening at that time to be parted and living separate from his then wife Deborah, and being alone and having no children, persuaded him to leave his habitation and to go and live with him.' In compensation for his services, about nine years after, according to his own statement, Samuel received, by deed from Vowles, the southernmost part of Mounsting [Manussing] Island, containing about 150 acres.' Six or seven years after, says Samuel, Deborah, who was then living with her husband, came and borrowed the deed, and he has never seen it since. He returned to Fordham 9about 1708, apparently), but persisted in his claim against Roger Park who in 1707 bought from Vowles his father-in-law the land on Manussing Island. Samuel petitioned the governor in 1717 for a patent, and in 1720 remonstrated against the granting of a patent for the inhabitants of Rye without recognition of his claim.
in 1715, Willia Odell, of East Chester, sold to George Kniffen, of Rye, for twenty pounds, his quarter 'of an eighteenth part or share of undivided lands.' According to the pedigree given by Mr. Bolton, this William was the eldest son of Isaac Odell of East Chester, fourth son of William (1).
None of this name appear in our records after these dates. The few families that reside here now have I presume removed hither in later years from other towns.
I. John Ogden of Rye in 1674 (Pub. Rec. of Conn., vol. ii. p. 236), was of Stamford originally, and was undoubtedly related to John Ogden, the builder, who settled there in 1641; but cannot have been he, as Mr. Huntington supposes (Hist. of Stamford, p. 39), nor his son, as Mr. Savage conjectures (Gen. Dict.) For John removed as early as 1644 to Hempstead, thence to Northampton, L.I., and settled in 1664-1665 at Elizabeth, N.J. (Dr. Hatfield's Hist. of Elizabeth), where he died in 1681? and where John junior was living from 1673 to 1694. Our settler was unquestionably a son of Richard, brother of the first John Ogden, who, says Mr. Huntington, went to Fairfield, where he became a man of note, and who had numerous descendants.
John Ogden, of Rye, is first heard of in 1669, when John Budd mentions him with 'Juddey [Judith] his wife,' who was Budd's daughter. In 1674 he was deputy for Rye to the Genearl Court at Hartford. In 1678 he had several allottments here, as well as a tract of land on Budd's Neck which he had received from his wife's father. His house-lot was at the upper end of the town, near Mr. Joseph Kirby's present (1871) dwelling. In 1679 the town made a grant to 'John Ogden of forty-eight or fifty acres of land by the water side at the fishing rock, for the purpose of building a house and wharf. The inhabitants of Peningoe Neck to have wharfage free.' (Bolton, vol. ii. p. 93).
July 13, 1681, the town authorized John Ogden and George Kniffen to purchase a barrel of powder and three hundred weight of lead of Mr. Budd of Fairfield, or wherever it can be obtained the cheapest. These to be kept for the use of the town. (Rye Rec., in Bolton, vol. ii. p. 47). Ogden died in 1683. He left a widow, who in the same year married Francis Brown of Rye, previously of Stamford. Ogden had three sons, Joseph, Richard and David.
II. 1. Joseph Ogden (2), son of John (1), mentioned 1685-1715, had land on Budd's Neck from his father; a portion of which - thirty rods wide from Westchester old path to the sea - he sold in 1699 to Benjamin Horton. He had a wife and a daughter Mary, and probably a son Joseph. In 1717, perhaps shortly afater his death, 'Mary Ogden, spinster' released to her mother Mary Ogden all title to her father's property. Joseph (3) living on Budd's Neck in 1740, was probably a son of Joseph (2).
2. Richard Ogden (2), son of John (1), is mentioned `1691-1726. He is ranked among the proprietors. In 1696 Francis Brown and Judah his wife release to their 'son Richard Ogden' certain parcels of land, 'with all in both Will's purchases and also in the Eighteen Men's propriety that is below the marked trees upon Penninggoe neck so called.' In 1699, 'att a lawful meeting of the proprietors of Peningo Neck the said propriestors do grant unto Richard Ogden an Island commonly called Fox Island.' This island he sold in 1722 to Jonathan Merrit. Richard was 'active in real estate.' The recording of his purchases and sales, on the ridges, in the swamps, and at 'ye Plaines,' must have helped to keep good Samuel Lane, the town clerk, in occupation. Among the rest he sells in 1699 some land 'lying in a place commonly Dick's Hollow.'
3. David Ogden (2), son of John (1), in 1700 was to have his step-father Francis Brown's dwelling lot, and the salt meadow lying by the mill creek 'formerly called Bulluck's meadow,' after his death. He removed to the White Plains, where he and his son David, junior, were living in 1741, and had land. In 1745, father and son 'of Rye' sold to Henry Scott of Mamaroneck one hundred and thirty-eight acres in the White Plains purchase for four hundred and ninety-four pounds. And in 1751 David Ogden of Scarsdale sold to Samuel Purdy, junior, a lot 'called ye fifth or last division of the White Plains purchase - lying at the north end of said purchase, adjoining ye line called the Indian line.'
John Odgen, mentioned 1702-1708, was perhaps a son of one of the above.
Jonathan Ogden, mentioned 1720-1737, was of North Castle.
Daniel Ogden is mentioned 1720.
The name was originally spelled Parcque, the family being of Huguenot extraction.
I. Roger Park, according to the family tradition, fled from France in the time of the persecution of the Protestants, and came to this country. His name occurs at Rye as early as 1699, when Joseph Horton conveyed to him, his son-in-law, one half of his home-lot lying at the White Plains, with one half of his right in said purchase. In 1718 he appears among the proprietors of Peningo Neck, and has a share of land allotted to him, under a new division of the common lands.
II. Roger Park (2), probably the son of the above named, is mentioned in 1707, as son-in-law to Jonathan Vowles, who conveys to him his land on the southern part of 'Minusin Island.' His title to this property was contested, in 1716 and 1720, by Samuel Odell, Vowles' nephew, who appears to have failed to make good his claim. Roger Park's descendants were still in possession of this land a few years since; one of them owns a part of it at present (1870). His second wife was Charlotte Strang. In 1729 he was living in Harrison's Purchase. He is probably the 'Roger Park, senior,' mentioned in 1768 as still living.
Mary, who married Joshua Purdy.
Sophia, married Nehemiah Brown.
Lucy, married Moses Husted.
Charlotte, married Benjamin Haviland.
III. 1. Roger Park (3) was a large prorpietor and a leading man in the town. He owned farms in Harrison and Rye. He married Sarah, daughter of Peter Disbrow, who died Jan. 6, 1811, aged eighty years. Roger Park's will, written in 1768, was proved in 1788.
Jesse (named Justus in the will); Disbrow (without issue); John (without issue); Anna, married Lemuel Jagger; Sarah married Thomas McCollum; Lavinia, married Bilha Theall.
2. Thomas (3), second son of Roger Park (2), born March 8, 1720, married Jan. 1, 1747, Martha, daughter of Thomas Carpenter, born May 21, 1729. Thomas Park lived on the site of the house now (1870) occupied by Mrs. Mary Park, on the cross road to North Street, near the Purchase Road. He owned a large tract of land in that vicinity.
Thomas, born Dec. 11, 1747.
Joseph, born Oct. 10, 1750.
Mary, married Nehemiah Purdy, born Aug. 24, 1762.
Roger, born July 11, 1754.
Hannah, born March 18, 1756, unmarried.
Daniel, born Nov. 27, 1858.
Stephen and Thomas (twins), born Aug. 17, 1761.
Timothy, born April 27, 1766.
IV. 1. Jesse Park (4), son of Roger Park (3), married Phoebe Sawyer.
Jesse, James, Moses Husted, Thomas, John.
Levina, married Elijah Purdy.
Jane, married Alexander Hubbs.
2. Thomas Park (4), eldest son of Thomas (3), probably died young.
3. Joseph Park (4), second son of Thomas (3), had one son, Israel, and three daughters, - Charlotte, married James Paulding; Mary, married William Sniffen; and Abby.
4. Roger Park (4), third son of Thomas (3), married first, Elizabeth Lyon.
Sophia, died young; Phoebe, unmarried; Samuel, Thomas and Timthy.
His second wife was Sarah Lyon who had one son, Knapp.
5. Daniel Park (4), fourth son of Thomas (3), married Emma, daughter of Daniel Knapp. He lived on the lower part of North Street, where he had a large farm. They had three sons: Knapp, Thomas and Daniel.
6. Stephen Park (4), fifth son of Thomas (3), was not married.
7. Thomas Park (4), sixth son of Thomas (3), married Nancy Lyon, and had several children.
8. Timothy Park (4), youngest son of Thomas (3), married first, Anna, daughter of Jonathan Sniffen, and had one son, Joseph, and two daughters - Mary, who married Daniel Park (son of Daniel(4)), and Anne.
Timothy married, secondly, Arna, daughter of Abram Hobby, and had one daughter, Martha.
V. 1. Jesse Park (5), son of Jesse (4), married Martha H., daughter of Robert Kennedy, and widow of Augustus Treadwell. She was born June 5, 1775, and died Jan. 16, 1853. Jesse Park died May 15, 1848, aged seventy-six years.
Thomas, William, Augustus, Jesse; Sarah Ann, married Benjamin Watson; Anna Maria; and Nancy Jane, married _____ Furlong.
2. James Park (5), second son of Jesse (4), married Mercy, daughter of Nathaniel Carpenter. He lived in Bedford, and had several children.
3. Moses Husted Park (5), third son of Jesse (4), was not married.
4. Thomas Park (5), fourth son, was not married.
5. John Park (5), fifth son, was not married.
6. Israel Park (5), son of Joseph (4).
7. Samuel Park (5), son of Roger (4).
8. Thomas Park (5), son of Roger (4).
9. Timothy Park (5), son of Roger (4).
10. Knapp Park (5), son of Daniel (4), married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Wilson. He lived on King Street. He had one son, Thomas, and three daughters, Emma, Deborah, Dorcas.
11. Thomas Park (5), son of Daniel (4), died young.
12. Daniel Park (5), son of Daniel (4), married Mary, daughter of Timothy Park (4), now (1870) living in Harrison.
13. Joseph Park (5), only son of Timothy (4), married Mary Delavan. They have had three sons - Jonathan, Joseph and Charles; and two daughters - Clarissa, married Henry W. Wheaton, and Elizabeth, married David Purdy.
Jacob Pearce, 'husbandman,' first mentioned 1680, had lands and proprietary rights here in 1683, and may have been here several years previous to the former date. His house-lot was where Mr. B.S. Olmstead now (1870) lives, and he also owned the land now Miss Mead's. In 1690 'Jacob Paers of Rye' was one of the soldiers who left Fort William on the second of April, in the expedition to repel the French and Indians after the burning of Schenectady. He did not live to return. (The date should be 1689 Old Style, or 1690 New Style).
His widow Mary married Isaac Denham, son of the Rev. Thomas Denham, who thus acquired Pearce's proprietary rights, as well as his other estate. 'At a Prerogative Court held at Westchester, the 7th and 8th Xber 1694, Isaac Denham Husband of the Widdow and Relict of Jacob Peirce deceased brought into Court an Inventory of said Peirce's estate.' The Court confirmed upon her and the said Mary all the moveable estate, and decreed that the lands remain in her possession till the right heir appears. A claimant seems to have turned up, perhaps a brother or more distant relative. In 1713, a list of 'The Draft of the Branch Ridge Lots' then laid out is headed with the name of 'Christopher Bridge for Daniel Pierce in Right of Jacob Pierce deceased.' (Town Mg. Bk., G. p. 20). This Daniel is not mentioned elsewhere.