"New England In Albany"
Boston: Crocker & Co., 1883
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Eliphalet NOTT, b. Ashford, Conn., June 25, 1773; d. Schenectady, N.Y., Jan. 29, 1866; gr. Brown, 1795; D.D. Princeton, 1805; began to preach in 1795; preached and taught at Cherry Valley, N.Y.; was first native New England pastor in Albany, being pastor of 1st Presb. church from 1798-1804. As a preacher he was regarded as very eloquent, attracting large congregations. As a citizen, interested in every good work, he commanded profound respect and great influence. From 1804 until his decease, he was the popular president of Union Collge, leaving a deep and abiding impress on hundreds of youg men. In this position his usefullness to Albany was inestimable, because very many of its "boys" were placed under his instruction. He was a practical man, as shown in his improvements in stoves, the benefits of which all buildings warmed by them still enjoy. Many of his writings are published; but his great life work was written in imperishable minds of young men.
Thomas W. OLCOTT, son of Josiah, of Stratford, Conn.; b. Hudson, N.Y., May 22, 1795; d. Albany, Mar. 23, 1880. Came to Albany as clerk in the Mechanics' and Farmers' Bank, at its opening, July 19, 1811, and continued as cashier, from July 1817; as president from June, 1836. During his long career as banker, for nearly 70 years, with singular devotion, he attained a reputation as bank financier second to no one in the country; and left large wealth, and a name greatly honored for benevolent deeds, broad public spirit, and exalted integrity. In 1863 he declined a flattering offer from Pres. Lincoln, of the position of the first Comptroller of the Currency. He declined all public office, except such as related to the promotion of education, or other local interests.
He leaves one daughter and five sons, Dudley and John J. now president and vice president of the M. and F. Bank; Frederick P. late State Comptroller; and Alexander and Theodore of Corning, N.Y.
David Perkins PAGE, b. Epping, N.H., July 4, 1810; d. Albany, N.Y., Jan. 1, 1848; attended Hamilton Academy a short time; began to teach district schools; at 21 was principal of English department of Newburyport High School, where he spent 12 years of severe study and faithful, disciminating labor, and gained a reputation that made him first principal of Albany Normal School. His labors for nearly 4 years assured the "experiemtn" a success, and gave the institution a lease of life which it still holds in vigor; and gave himself a name among American teachers that cannot die. The "Elementary Chart of Vocal Sounds," and "Theory and Practice of Teaching," are his printed works. He was buried in the cemetery at Newburyport.
Erastus D. PALMER, of New England descent; b. Pompey, N.Y., April 2, 1817. A carpenter until 29; a cameo-cutter until 35; he came to Albany and became a sculptor. He has never studied aborad, but has produced over 100 works in marble, which have secured a foremost rank among American sculptors. Among them are "Infant Ceres," "The Sleeping Peri," "The Little Peasant," "The White Captive," "Resignation," "Spring," "The Infant Flora" and "The Angel at the Sepulchre"; together with bas reliefs, and "Landing of the Pilgrims;" and 15 statues intended for the Capitol at Washington.
Ray PALMER, b. Little Compton, R.I., 1808; gr. Yale, 1830. D.D., Union, 1852; pastor in Bath, Me., 1835-50; and first pastor of the Congregational Church, Albany, 1850-65. His work here was laying foundations, and he laid them well. He has since been Secy. of Am. Cong. Union, New York. He has written many lyric hymns and other verse, some of which will always be sung in churches. He has also published many sermons, addresses, religious books and memoirs.
William PARMELEE, b. Lansingburgh, N.Y., 1807; d, Albany, Mar. 15, 1856; gr. Yale, 1826; practiced law in Albany from 1830; City Attorney 1836; County Judge 1839, and 1847-52; City Recorder 1840-46; Mayor 1846 and 1855. He died while yet holding this office.
He married Helen, daughter of Dr. T. Romeyn BECK.
John Davis PARSONS, b. East Hampton, L.I., April 27, 1815; of Puritan ancestry; came to Albany early in life, and as the managing member of the printing, binding and publishing house of Weed, Parsons & Co., is widely and favorably known. Much of the State printing and best law printing is done by this house.
L. Sprague PARSONS, b. Walcott, Conn., May 16, 1809; gr. Yale, 1837; principal of Albany Female Academy, 1845-55; had previously taught 6 years in a select school here; d. Cohoes, N.Y., Apr. 27, 1864.
Rufus W. PECKHAM, of Rhode Island ancestry; b. Rensselaerville, N.Y., Dec. 20, 1809; drowned on the sea-wrecked steamer, Ville du Havre, Nov. 22, 1873; gr. Union, 1827; district attorney for Albany Co., 1838-41; Judge of Supreme Court 1859, and re-elected in 1867 without opposition; elected Associate Judge of Court of Appeals for a term of 14 years, 1870; 1852-54, member of Congress. With a clear head, strong assertion of honest convictions, and a commanding presence, he was a powerful advocate; with learning, and keen sense of justice added, he made an eminent judge; and was, withal, too independent and patriotic to be a partisan.
Wheeler H., of New York, and Rufus W., of Albany, recently elected to the Supreme Court Bench, are his sons.
Eli PERRY, of Connecticut ancestry; b. Johnstown, N.Y. 1802; d. Albany, May 17, 1881. Mayor of Albany 6 years; M.C. 2 years; very influential in civil affairs and financial circles, and did much good with his wealth.
John S. PERRY, b. Dec. 17, 1815, in Farmington, Ct.; came to Albany in 1830, as clerk in crockery store of H. & C. Webb & Co.; in 1843 went into the manufacutre of stoves and machinery; 10 years later confined his business to improving, making and selling stoves, which, with different partners, he has continued ever since, with remarkable success. Since 1864 his partners have been his cousin, Nathan B. Perry, and Andrew Dickey, from Wilton, N.H. Their annual produce of stoves has gone up, in 40 years, from 500 tons to 12,000 tons, now exceeding any other foundry in the world. Mr. Perry was the first to introduce the base burner, which has culminated in the argand burner, which has revolutionized the coal-heating stoves of this country. He was for 3 years pres. of the U.S. National Assoc. of Stove Manufacturers, which he helped organize. He is prominent in the financial and religious organizations of the city.
Amasa J. PARKER, son of Rev. Daniel; b. Sharon, Conn., June 2, 1807; gr. Union, 1825; LL.D. Geneva, 1845; prin. Hudson Academy at 16; ad. to bar in 1828; practiced at Delhi unti 1844, when he came to Albany; member of Assembly 1834; regent 1835; M.C. 1836-40; Circuit judge and Vice Chancellor, 1844-47; Judge of Supreme Court, 1847-55; of Court of Appeals, 1854; many years lecturer in Albany Law School, of which, with Dean and Harris, he was a founder. Memb. State Const. Conv., 1867; twice dem. candidate for Governor. Has largely interested himself in education; trustee of Cornell, of Albany Med. Coll., and Female Academy.
Of fine culture, broad views, independent conviction, and careful and accurate legal knowledge, he is widely known and highly esteemed for his learning, wisdom and integrity.
Col. Amasa J., lawyer, is his son.
George R. PERKINS, born of New England stock, Otsego Co., N.Y., May 3, 1812. LL.D. Hamilton, 1852; taught at Clinton Institute, 1831-38; at Utica Academy, 1838-44; in Albany Normal School, 1844-52, of which he was principal 4 years. Superintended the building of Dudley Observatory, and was, in 1858, asst. eng. and surv. of State. He was author of a text book on astronomy, and of a series of mathematical text books; a large contributor to educational journals; d. Aug. 22, 1876.
Amos PILSBURY, son of the best prison warden of his time, Moses C. Pilsbury, of the N.H. and Conn. State Prisons, was born Londonderry, N.H., Feb. 8, 1815; d. Albany, July, 1873. Was deputy under his father at Concord, N.H., and Wethersfield, Conn. After his long and successful service at Albany Co. Penitentiary, he signed his position adn went ot London, in 1872, under appointment from Gov. Hoffman, as Commissioner to the International Penitentiary Congress, and made an able report to the State on his return. Few men have lived more useful lives, and left a more honored name.
Louis D. PILSBURY, son of Amos, was born at Wethersfield, Conn., and as Superintendent fully sustained the high name of the Penitentiary, which his father had given it. He has held until recently, the position of State Superintendent of Prisons.
Ananias PLATT, kept Tontine Coffee House three years, closing wih May, 1801; had kept a public house in Lansingburg, and was a pioneer stage proprietor of line from Albany to that town; d. April 10, 1842, a. 80.
Charles H. PORTER descended from one of the oldest and most respectable of N.E. families; is a scholarly gentleman, a leading physician in Albany; and for some years, one of the faculty of the Medical College.
Horatio POTTER, of N.E. ancestry; b. LaGrange, N.Y., Feb. 9, 1802; bro. of Bishop Alonzo; gr. Union, 1826; D.D.Trinity; LL.D. Geneva; D.C.L. Oxford, Rector of St. Peter's, Albany, 1833-54, where he was eminently honored and useful; cons. provis. bishop of New York in 1854, and became bishop of the diocese in 1861. Is father of the late Hon. Clarkson Potter, and of Eliphalet Nott Potter, president of Union College. Bishop Potter md. the only dau. of Prest. NOTT.
Daniel J. PRATT descended from William, of Saybrook, Ct.; b. Westmoreland, N.Y., March 8, 1827; gr. Hamilton 1851; principal of Fredonia Academy, 1854-64; Assistant Secretary of Board of Regents since 1866; Secretary of Albany Institute since 1869. Besides the most assiduous and intelligent devotion to his official duties, he has done a great amount of collateral faithful work, as author or editor of valuable reports, essays, and other contributions to the educational and historical literature of the State. The suggestion, systematizing, and practical working of the Board of Regents, are largely due to his patient industry.
Harmon PUMPELLY, b. Salisbury, Conn., Aug. 1, 1795; d. Albany, Sept. 28, 1882. After spending his earlier life in Tioga Co., as land surveyor and agent for large land holders, and laying foundations for fortune himself, he came to Albany, in 1841, where his business forethought, promptness and integrity were in requistion until his death. He had been, for many years, president of the Albany Savings Bank, Albany Insurance Co., and Albany Gas Light Co., and filled other important trusts in the city, especially in St. Peter's church.
Mrs. James KIDD, and Mrs. John Meredith READ, are his daughters.
Elisha PUTNAM, nephew of Gen. Israel; b. Dutton, Mass.; md. daughter of Capt. Stephen W. JOHNSON of the "Boston Tea Party." Came to Albany about 1790; architect and builder; put up first nail machine in this vicinity; first of propose carrying water in iron pipes; patented hooped stave raceway for mills; Supt. of City Water Works about 1800; built St. Peter's, North Dutch, and old 1st Presb. churches; engineer, about 1820, on Erie Canal; long an elder in the Presb. church. After 70 years old, wrote and published "Crisis; or the last trumpet;" d. Feb. 11, 1854, a. 89.
Jared L. RATHBONE, b. Salem, Conn.; d. Albany; carried on a stove foundry; was an Alderman, and also Mayor of the city, 1839-40.
John F. RATHBONE, b. Albany, Oct. 9, 1819. After some time as student and clerk, he went into the foundry business, in 1840; built a stove factory in 1845, and is now at the head of one of the largest in the world, under firm name of Rathbone, Sard & Co. In 1861-7, he was Brig. Gen. of 9th Brigade of National Guards, and commander of forces sent into the military service in the civil war; 35 regiments were sent forward by him. He founded the Rathbone Library of the University of Rochester.
Matthew H. READ, b. New Haven, Conn., Sept. 2, 1803; d. Albany, Sept. 6, 1883; came to this city about 1830; engaged in the flour and grain trade, retiring in 1860. Was prominent in commercial circles; president of First National Bank since 1869; leaves four sons and three daughers.
Marcus T. REYNOLDS, of Connecticut ancestry; d. Albany, July 11, 1865; a distinguished lawyer; represented the city in the State Legislature; was actively interested in the Albany Hospital, Orphan Asylum, and other humane institutions; also in the railroad enterprises that centered in the city; was a highly useful and respected citizen.
Dexter Reynolds, lawyer, is a son, and Marcus T. and Leonard Hun, lawyers, are grandons.
Charles A. ROBERTSON, son of Conn. and Mass. parents; b. Mobile, Ala.; gr. Harward 1850; studied medicine at Boston and Philadelphia; settled in Albany, and rapidly rose in his profession, making the eye and ear a specialty. Was talented, public-spirited, and of restless energy; wrote much, and to the point; prest. of Y.M.A., and member of school board; d. 1879.
Ebenezer Platt ROGERS, b. Dec. 18, 1817; d. Montclair, N.J. Oct. 22, 1881; educated at Yale and Princeton. Interruped much by weak eyes, and poor health. Was pastor at Chicopee and Northampton, Mass., Augusta, Ga., Philadelphia and New York city. Came to Albany as pastor of 1st Reformed church, in Nov. 1856, and spent 6 years of "useful, acceptable service," especially endearing himself by his ready personal sympathy. D.D., Oglethorpe, 1853. Published many sermons and other religious writings.
Joseph RUSSELL, b. Bedford, Mass., Oct. 7, 1777; came to this city in early manhood; became an active and prosperous merchant in the firm of Thomas and Joseph Russell; always influential in commercial circles; an honorable man; d. Dec. 25, 1838.
Joseph W. Russell, Esq., a lawyer of this city, is a grandson.
Luther SAWYER, b. Lancaster, Mass.; came to Albany 1813; brick and stone mason. His son William Sawyer, b. March 14, 1821; shoe dealer; "never drank, smoked ir chewed;" never attended a circus or theatre; is now in real estate speculations; has large income, with which he is doing much good, especially in helping Baptist churches and the poor.
John G. SAXE, b. Highgate, Vt., June 2, 1816; gr. Middlebury, 1839; practiced law in Vt., 1843-50; ed. Burlington Sentinel, 1850-55; State Atty. for Vt.; candidate for Governor. Has resided for many years in Albany. His poems, chiefly wit and humor, are widely read and some of them have become a part of our nation's permanent literature. They have been published at different times and in various editions.
Theodore SEDGWICK, son of Judge Theodore Sedgwick, b. Sheffield, Mass., Dec. 31, 1780; d. Pittsfield, Mass., Nov. 7, 1839; gr. Yale, 1798; practiced law with great distinction, in Albany from 1801-22; was the first to suggest the idea of a railroad from Albany to Boston over the Green Mountains, and carried it through in the Mass. legislature, of which he was a member in 1824, '25, '27. Devoted friend of free trade, temperance and anti-slavery, and published writings on these subjects.
Theodore, his son, b. Albany, Jan. 27, 1811; d. Stockbridge, Mass., Dec. 8, 1859; gr. Columbia 1829; practiced law in New York city; U.S. Atty. for So. District of New York; author of Life of Wm. Livingston, Writings of Wm. Leggett, and many treastises on political economy and law.
John and Robert F. SLACK, brothers; b. Weston, Mass.; came to Albany about 1810; enterprising and successful wholesale grocers for more than 30 years; also largely engaged in lumber and stave business; word as good as their bond; warmly interested in education and every good work.
Dr. Henry of Fiskill, and Mrs. George B. STEELE of Albany, are surviving children.
Elihu SMITH, b. Stamford, Conn., Mar. 14, 1804; came to Albany, 1847; architect and builder; had previously lived in Genoa, Ithaca and Troy; began making stove models in 1830; claims invention of the principle of base burning and argand stoves; also of improved refrigerators; is a skillful mechanic and an honest man.
Horace E. SMITH, b. Weston, Vt., 1817; LL.D. Dartmouth 1880 (transcriber's note: these dates sound highly unlikey. ??) Practiced law in Boston in New York city and in Johnstown, N.Y.; in 1879 became Dean of Albany Law School. He has been a prominent member of the Mass. legislature and of the Constitutional Convention of New York, 1867; and has had extensive practice in his profession. He is a man of high purposes, dilligent work, eminent legal knowledge, and excellent qualities for his present position.
Norman L. SNOW, son of Hon. Dr. Simon Snow of Mansfield, Mass., b. Root, N.Y. Apr. 7, 1839; gr. Union 1859; N.Y. College of Phys. and Surgeons, 1861; rendered important service as army Surgeon during the late civil war; began a successful practice in Canajoharie when the war was over and held honorable civil positions in that village; visited hospitals in Europe in 1873; settled in practice in Albany with Dr. A. VanDerveer in 1875; and is holding high rank in the Medical College, in the Hospital, in the Medical Society, and in general practice.
Solomon SOUTHWICK, b. Newport, R.I., Dec. 25, 1773; d. Albany, Nov. 18, 1839. Came to this city, 1792; became connected with the Albany Register, published by Robert Barber, whose sister he married; and succeeded him as proprietor in 1808. It was the leading paper of his party, and he the leader until 1817. He held offices of State printer, Clerk of the Assembly, Sheriff of the County, president of Mechanics' and Farmers' Bank, postmaster and regent of the University. Twice he was the candidate for Governor; when 40 years of age, he was admitted as attorney at law. Besides the Register, he conducted the "Ploughboy," "National Observer," "Christian Visitant" and "Family Newspaper." He lectured extensively on temperance, education and morality, and published valuable treatises on these and kindred subjects. He was a remarkable man; with strong convictions, great boldness, untiring devotion, and great ambition. During his later years, he devoted his high powers to doing good.
Ambrose SPENCER, b. Salisbury, Conn., Dec. 13, 1765; d. Lyons, N.Y., Nov. 13, 1848; gr. Harvard, 1783; LL.D., Harvard, 1821. About 1785 he entered upon the practice of law in Hudson, N.Y., and was called, almost at once, to important office in that city, and in the State legislature. In 1802-4, he was Atty. General and began to reside in Albany, which was his home until 1839. He became Justice of the Supreme Court in 1804, and Chief Justice from 1819-23; member of N.Y. Const. Conv. in 1821; M.C. 1829-31. In this city he held many important offices, including that of Mayor. He was truly a great and good man, one of the shining lights of his time. His legal decisions stand as highest authority. In political counsels he had great weight. At the same time, like all truly great men, he was simple hearted, approachable by all who needed sympathy and counsel, and as just and inflexible as Cato.
John C. SPENCER, son of Ambrose, b. Hudson, N.Y., Jan. 8, 1788; d. Albany, May 18, 1855; gr. Union, 1806; practiced law in Canandaigua; settled in Albany, 1845; was nearly his whole life in public business; besides minor offices, M.C., 1817-19; State Assembly, 1819-20; State Senate, 1825-28; 1832, Assembly; 1839-41, Sec. of State and Supt. Com. Schools; 1841, Sec. of War; 1843, Sec. of Treasury. Had much to do with looking into the affairs of the old U.S. bank, and also with the anti-masonic excitement. The organization of the State Asylum for Idiots, and the improvement of the State common school system, are largely due to him. The most useful part of his life was spent in this city. He annotated "De Tocqueville's Democracy in American," and his great labor in revision of the Statutes of the State, are among his monuments.
William B. SPRAGUE, b. Andover, Conn., Oct. 16, 1795; d. Flushing, L.I., May 7, 1876; gr. Yale, 1815; Princeton Theo. Sem. 1819; D.D. Columbia, 1828; settled at W. Springfield, Mass. 1819-29; pastor of 2d Presby. church, Albany, 1829-70. Such a long ministry is unusual in a city, and it was filled by him with distinguished honor. His heart was warm toward all good, and he was very helpful in good works. He had a facile pen and his published works are very numberous; among them are over 100 pamphlets, many religious books, memories, and notes of travel. His great work, "Annals of American Pulpit," in 9 vols., is a monument of industry amid other labors. His autograph collection was the largest in America.
John and Spencer STAFFORD were prosperous merchants, in company here for many years, from about the beginning of this century. The former died Oct. 12, 1819, aged 57; the latter, Feb. 10, 1844, aged 72.
Horace C. STANTON, b. Wolfborough, N.H., gr. Union, 1867, at the head of his class; excels as a linguist; read law; then went to Princeton Theol. Sem., and gr. 1873; pastor 3 years in Edinburg, N.Y.; came to Albany as pastor of Clinton Sq. Presb. Church, 1876.
Eben S. STEARNS, b. Mass.; gr. Harward, 1841; had been prin. of a Mass. Normal School; prin. Albany Female Academy, 1855-66; afterwards prin. Robinson Female Seminary, Exeter, N.H.
John STEARNS, b. Wilbraham, Mass., May 16, 1770; d. New York, Mar. 18, 1848; gr. Yale, 1789; went to Waterford, N.Y., 1793; to Albany, 1810; to New York City, 1819. Was in 1806, founder of the State Medical Society, of which he was the first secretary, and four years president; also first president of the New York Academy of Medicine, in 1846; member of N.Y. Senate, 1809-13. A leading aim of his life was to purify and elevate the profession of medicine. To this and his own personal culture, he devoted his vigorous mind, his untiring energy. His influence was very great.
Lemuel STEELE, b. Hartford, Conn., Aug. 26, 1787; d. Albany, Dec. 26, 1853; came to Albany 1815; engaged in manufacuturing and importing paper-hangings until 1852, when he was succeeded by his son, George B. Steele, and Robert M. King; now succeeded by Frank B. King. Mr. Steele was a prominent citizen, holding various offices; was 10 years Alderman; 20 years or more a bank director; and several years Chief Engineer of the First Department.
Moses W. STICKNEY, b. Antrim, N.H.; d. Albany, Feb. 4, 1879; came to Albany in 1836.
Leander Stickney, bro. of M.W.; b. Antrim; d. 1882; came to Albany in 1838.
Both were Coffee and Spice Manufacturers and merchants, of the firm of Bacon, Stickney & Co.; successful in business, and acquired large wealth.
Alfred B. STREET, descended from Rev. Nicholas Street, of New Haven; b. Poughkeepsie, N.Y., Dec. 18, 1811; d. Albany, June, 1881; studied and practiced law with his father, at Monticello, N.Y,; came to Albany, 1839; Librarian of State Library for some years. An unostentatuiysm but highly esteemed citizen, he has left a name honored by his literary work. Besides numerous contributions to periodicals, and poems on anniversary occasions, he has written, "Burning of Schenectady," "Frontenac," "History of the Council of Revision," "Woods and Waters," "Forest Pictures," "Indian Pass." Some of his poems have been collected, and published in volumes.
Jonthan TENNEY, b. Corinth, Vt., Sept. 14, 1817; gr. Dartmouth, 1843; studied law and medicine, but never practiced; has also been a licensed Congregational minister. Early chose teaching as a profession; has been a successful principal of academies and high schools in N.H., Mass. and N.Y. about 25 years; was founder and president of the N.H. Teachers' Association, 1854; has been Commissioner of Schools, member of State Board of Education, and secretary of the same, in N.H.; Deputy Supt. of Public Instruction in N.Y.; has lectured extensively on educational subjects, and conducted teachers' institutes in Vt., N.H., Mass., Me., R.I., and N.Y.' has written much for educational and literary periodicals, as editor and contributor; was Supt. of Schools in Oswego, N.Y., and Chairman of School Board in Manchester, N.H. His historical, statistical, biographical and educational publications have been numerous. He came to Albany in 1868; has been 7 years Librarian of Y.M.A., and is now engaged un literary work for publication. Received honorary degree of PhD. from Dartmouth in 1880.
George H. THACHER, descended from Rev. Thomas Thacher, first pastor of the Old South Church, Boston, was born in Hornellsville, June 4, 1818. He is grandson of Judge Hornell, for whom this town was named. About 1848, he came to Albany, and went into the stove foundry business with Billings P. Learned, which he left in 1852, to establish the manufacture of car-wheels, which for 30 years has been successfully carried on by him.
His sons, John B. member of the state senate (Williams, 1869), and George H., are now the active members of the firm.
Mr. T. has long been prominent in business circles; is now Vice President of the 1st National Bank. He has held office of Mayor four terms, 1860, '66, '70 and '72. He is a man of positive convictions, and bold in standing by them. This is shown by his official career in such notable and well-remembered instances as taking decided ground in favor of free speech, when some of the leaders of his political party endeavord, by a mob, to prevent an abolition convention in the city, just before the war; he going into the hall with the speakers, and enforcing order; also, in the Dudley Observatory controversy and in the High School question. He has been a presidential elector.
Isaiah TOWNSEND came to Albany in 1799; b. Orange Co.; d. Feb. 17, 1838, aged 61. For 36 years, he was engaged in an extensive and active manufacturing and mercantile business, in company with his brother, John Townsend. The house was very enterprising and liberal, and did much to advance the interests of this city. It was known, indeed, all over the country, as honorable, skillful and just. Gen. Frederick Townsend, Gen. Franklin Townsend, Theodore Townsend, Rufus K. Townsend, Dr. Franklin Townsend, and the late Dr. Howard Townsend, all honored and valuable citizens, are descendants of these men. Their ancestors were from Rhode Island.
John TOWNSEND, b. Stirling Iron Work, June 14, 1783; came to Albany, 1802, and joined his brother, Isaiah, in the hardware and iron foundry business, in which they successfully continued many years. Was 6 years Mayor of Albany; d. Albany, Aug. 26, 1854. He was one of the founders of the Syracuse Coarse Salt Co., of which he was president; was president, also, of Commercial Bank, of Exchange Bank, of Savings Bank, and an officer of many other organizations of business enterprise and public good.
Franklin TOWNSEND, s. of Isaiah, b. Albany; has been Adjutant General of the State, and president of State Bank; was Mayor of the city, 1850. Gen. Frederick Townsend is a brother, and Dr. Franklin, Jr., a son.
Lyman TREMAIN, b. Durham, N.Y., June 14, 1819; d. New York, Nov. 30, 1878. His ancestors were from Berkshire Co., Mass. Studied and practiced law in his native town until he came to Albany in 1853, where he had his home, and pursued his brilliant career as a lawyer, until his death. He was among the foremost in his profession; eminent as a jury lawyer; electric as an orator on the platform, or anywhere.
He served as District Attorney 2 years, and County Judge 4 years, in Greene Co.; as member of Assembly from Albany, and Speaker of that body, in 1866; as Attorney General of the State two years; and as Congressman-at-large from the State, 1873-5. He was candidate for Lt. Governor in 1862. Until 1861, he was a Democrat; after this he acted with the Republican party. His exalted patriotism, and burning eloquence were called into active service during the late civil war.
His son, Col. Frederick, died of wounds in the service; and Grenville, another son, a lawyer of splendid promise, died just before his father.
Luther TUCKER, b. Brandon, Vt., 1802; d. Albany, Jan. 26, 1873. A printer; in 1826 established the first daily paper west of Albany, at Rochester, and called it the Daily Advertuser"; then started that pioneer agricultural journal, the Genesee Farmer, in 1831; this he afterwards consolidated with the Cultivator of Jesse Buel, in Albany. In 1852 he started the Country Gentleman, which is still continued by his sons, Luther H. and Gilbert M. Tucker, with marked ability, and a very large circulation.
Dr. Willis G. Tucker, one of the Faculty of the Medical College, and of the College of Pharmacy, is also a son.
Wm. TULLY, b. Saybrook Point, Conn., Feb. 18, 1785; d. Springfield, Mass., Feb. 28, 1859; gr. Yale, 1806; practiced medicine with Dr. March in Albany, 1826, and a few years later. Was regarded by many as the most learned and scientific physician of his time. Was a great student, an able lecturer, a vigorous writer. His views were positive, his prejudices strong, his criticisms caustic, his attacks upon what he deemed errors, merciless. As a practitioner, he was heroic, allowing no questioning as to his treatment. His numerous contributions to the literature of medicine, abating something for minuteness of detail or diffuseness, were greatly esteemed. His reputation as a medical writer rests chiefly on his great work "Materia Medica, or Pharmacology and Therapeutics," 2 vols. His lectures were given at Castleton, in South Carolina, and at Yale (1829-41).
Asa W. TWITCHELL, b. Swanzey, N.H., Jan. 1, 1820; came to Lansingburgh, N.Y. 1834; to Albany, 1843. He painted his first portrait in 1839; recently spent a few months among the galleries of Europe; has painted many of the best portraits of the city; holds a first class rank as an artist; is especially happy in presenting his subject, not as a picture, but as a character in active business or professional life. He is still, daily, in his studio, doing work that will long do him honor.
Thomas W. VALENTINE, b. Norton, Mass., Feb. 16, 1818; d. Brooklyn, N.Y., April 4, 1879; from 1842-55, was principal of a Public School in Albany; went to Brooklyn in 1855. While in Albany he was for a while Superintendent of the Albany Orphan Asylum and Editor of the New York Teacher. In 1857 he was president of the New York State Teachers' Association, and made the first movement toward the establishment of the National Education Association of the United States. He was a man of retiring habits, but of earnest purpose and broad views. The State of New York owes him gratitude for efficient aid in building up its present system of public education.
Franklin VOSE, b. Spencer, N.Y., 1822; came to Albany in 1846, and Rodney, his brother, b. Spencer, 1824, came in 1849. Both became successful lumber merchants, Rodney still carrying on the business and ranking well among our many enterprising and prosperous lumber traders. He is descended from Robert, of Dorchester, Mass., and related to that distinguished educator of N.E., Hon. John Vose, of N.H.
Reuben H. WALWORTH, b. Bozrah, Conn., Sept. 26, 1788; d. Saratoga, Nov. 26, 1866; spent his early years in Hoosick, N.Y., where his father moved in 1793; was admitted to the bar in Troy, 1809; practiced some years at Plattsburgh; was active in the war of 1812; M.C. 1821-23; Chancellor of the State, 1828 to '48, during a part of which time he resided in Albany. He was pronounced by Judge Story, "the greatest Equity jurist living." He was a man of large benevolence, and a firm and active friend of temperance and religion.
Rev. Clarence A. Walworth, rector of St. Mary's, Albany, since 1866; gr. Union 1838; a devoted priest, a useful citizen, a scholar and a writer, is a son.
Samuel B. WARD, son of D.B. and Abby Dwight PARTRIDGE of Mass.; b. New York, July 8, 1842; gr. Columbia. Since he came to Albany, he has held a leading place among its eminent physicians and surgeons, and is a member of the faculty of the Medical College.
Edward P. WATERBURY, b. Franklin, N.Y., May 10, 1831; gr. Albany Normal School; teacher for 13 years in Albany Academy, and 14 years agent of Mass. Life Ins. Co. Was appointed principal of Albany Normal School to succeed Rev. Dr. Alden, in 1882.
Elkanah WATSON, b. Plymouth, Mass., Jan. 22, 1758; d. Port Kent, N.Y., Dec. 5, 1842. In 1773, was a merchant's clerk in Providence; executed important commercial trusts during the revolution; in 1779, bore dispatches to Franklin, at Paris; for 3 years, engaged in commerce at Nantes; then visited England, Holland and Flanders; returned to Newport, R.I., and from thence to Albany in 1789, where, for 18 years, he was an active promotor of public enterprises. From 1807-16, resided in Pittsfield, Mass., where he devoted himself to agriculture; founded Berkshire Agric. Soc.; returned to Albany in 1816, and founded first Agricultural Society in the State of New York; made a tour of Michigan and the Lakes, round by Montreal, with reference to better facilities for trading western products, in New York and Boston; made the first suggestions in regard to the canal improvements that were carried out and completed by De Witt Clinton in the N.Y. and Erie Canal, in 1824; went to Port Kent in 1828.
His numerous notes of travel; his essays on agriculture and other public matters; his activity in promoting public enterprises, entitle him to a large place in the list of our nation's benefactors. Albany owes him much.
John H. WEBB, partner of George Dummer in 1807, afterwards associated with him H.L. Webb, and continued, until 1829. He d. in Hartford, Conn., Sept. 14, 1847. The house continued under the name of H.L and C.B. Webb until 1844, when it sold out to Gregory & Co. It was the first house in this business that extended its trade to the then far off wilderness of the North West Terriroty. They established in 1834, a branch at Detroit. H.L Webb was active in founding the Canal Bank, and was president of the Gas Light Company. He died in Hartford, Conn., Oct. 1846.
Charles R. WEBSTER, b. Hartford, Conn., Sept. 30, 1762; d. Saratoga Springs, July 18, 1834; printer; came to Albany in 1781, and went on a small weekly paper with S. Balantine. In 1784 he started the Albany Gazette, which continued under his guidance, the leading paper of the city for about 40 years, and existed until 1845. In the capacity of leading journalist, conspicuous for a ready enterprise, a broad public spirit, a liberal philanthropy, and discriminating charity, he, more, perhaps, than any other citizen of his time, became identified with the leading interests of the city, and promoted its prosperity. Bookselling, binding and publishing became a part of his business. He pub. the Daily Advertiser in addition to his weekly.
His twin bro. George, and his nephews, Elisha W., Hezekiah and Daniel Skinner, became partners before 1800. Their Gazette was widely circulated over the then new settlements of the State west of the Hudson River. He was very active in all efforts to encourage young mechanics, and excite in them intelligence and self-respect. To this end, he joined in the formation of the Mechanics' Society, which was largely officered and carried on by mechanics from the common schools of New England, and was a power for good many years.
Thurlow WEED; father from Stamford, Conn.; b. Catskill, N.Y., Nov. 15, 1797; d. New York City, Nov. 22, 1882; became a printer; in 1826-7, edited the Anti-Masonic Enquirer; elected twice to the State Assembly; came to Albany in 1830 as Editor of the Albany Journal, and continued until 1862, gaining an immense power as a journalist and party leader, and holding it many years. While declining all public offices himself, he was largely instrumental in bringing forward such men as Harrison, Taylor, Scott, Seward and others. He was wise in council and powerful in action, and ranks with Greeley and a few others as one of the greatest journalists of his time. His pen was always busy in notes of travel, reminiscences, and political counsel after he retired from his editorial chair, which might be called the Chair of State, so potent was his influence. Of course, such a man was largely influential in shaping affairs of this city.
His daughter Emily is wife on Hon. William BARNES, and mother of Thurlow Weed Barnes.
Bartholomew T. WELCH, b. Boston, Sept. 24, 1794; d. Newtonville, N.Y., Dec. 9, 1870; entered ministry in 1824; pastor of Baptist Church, now called Emmanuel, 1828-48; a preacher of great eloquence and power; very active in public enterprises; first excited public attention to the need of a public cemetery, in a sermon preached Dec. 1840, which led to the opening of that beautiful city of the loved and departed, the Rural Cemetery, consecrated to its sacred uses in 1844.
Elias WILLARD, b. Harvard, Mass., Jan. 7, 1756; d. Albany, Mar. 20, 1837. He was at the battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775, and served as military surgeon during the revolutionary war. Came to Stillwater, N.Y., 1785, and to Albany, 1801, where, for 25 years he was extensively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery. Patient, diligent, devoted to his work, a sincere christian, a noble patriot, ever ready to do good, he was beloved, and in his last years, venerated.
Dr. Moses, his brother, prominent in his profession, practed here a few years and went to New York in 1821. Dr. E.W. FORD, and Dr. John H. TROTTER, his grandsons, practiced later in this city.
Sylvester D. WILLARD, b. Wilton, Conn., June 19, 1825; d. Albany, Apr. 2, 1865; came to Albany in 1845; gr. Albany Med. Col., and began practice in 1848. Ever after, while not regardless of the dialy calls of his profession, he devoted much time to its local history and the biography of deceased physicians, the result of which appear in "Albany Medical Annals, Vol. 1." He also did service as a Volunteer Surgeon in 1862, and successfully interested himself in securing state aid for the relief of sick and wounded soldiers. His crowning acts relate to his agency in ascertaining the condition of the insane poor of the State, which led to the establishment of "Willard Asylum for the Insane," so named as a memorial of him since his decease.
At the time of his death he was holding the position of Secretary of State Medical Society, examining Surgeon for the Pension office, and Surgeon General of the State, all of which were to him posts of arduous labor and unceasing fidelity.
Chauncey P. WILLIAMS, b. Middletown, Conn., 1817; came to Albany in 1835, and successfully followed the lumber trade for 25 years. Was a director of the Albany Exchange Bank, and its president in 1856. In 1861, entered upon the business of bankin as a profession, and has ever since followed it in this same bank, first as cashier and then again as president. Through the recent civil war, this bank, under his management, had the agency, in this vicinity, for obtaining loans for the U.S. government, which was carried on skillfully in the spirit of wise financial as well as good patriotism, and aided much the Government credit. Mr. Williams was one of the founders, and is a leading supporter of the Congregational Church.
James WILSON, b. Londonderry, N.H., 1763; d. March 26, 1855 in Bradford, Vt., where he had owned a farm since 1796, and resided when not engaged in his globe manufacture. He was from his boyhood, fond of mathematics, geography and astronomy, and made a celestial and terrestrial globe, the first ever made in this country and presented them to the city of Boston in 1814. In 1815, he established the first Globe manufactory in the United States, at Albany, assisted by his sons Samuel and John, and continued the work successfully, with great credit, making many improvementgs, until the death of his sons. He did his own designing and engraving.
Joel A. WING, b. Berkshire Co., Mass., Aug. 13, 1788; d. Hartford, Conn., Sept. 6, 1852. Spent his professional life as physician in Albany ever after 1814; president of Co. and State Med. Societies. With a wonderfully retentive memory and eager fondness for knowledge, his medical attainments were very extensive; his practice was very large and his consel frequently sought. Few physicians ever excelled him in acuteness of perception or prompt action in treatment of a case; few were more welcome in the sick room or more highly esteemed by all classes of society.
Bradford R. WOOD, b. Westport, Conn., Sept. 30, 1800; gr. Union, 1824; came to Albany 1824; read law and has practiced his profession here ever since, taking an active interest in public affairs, and in the civil, intellectual and moral advancement of the city. He was M.C. 1845-47, where his action was independent, above party, statesmanlike. He was subsequently U.S. Minister to Denmark. He was one of the founders and is a leading supporter of the Congregational Church in this city.
Gen. J. Hampden Wood is a son.
Darius S. WOOD, b. Westboro, Mass., July 1821; became an engineer at B. & W. R. Rd. shops; ran the first passenger train into Albany on the B. & A. R. Rd.; held important trusts as engineer at Niagara Falls and W. Albany; was very skillful, and patented many valuable car improvements; d. Albany, Feb. 1881.
Royal WOODWARD, b. Ashford, Conn., Nov. 13, 1815; d. Albany, Oct. 2, 1882; silk manufacturer and merchant; had resided in Albany many yearsl a very estimable man; intelligent and unostentatious. Had collected a library of about 30,000 volumes, probably the largest private library in the country, outside of New York City.
Samuel B. WOOLWORTH, b. Bridgehampton, L.I., Dec. 15, 1800; gr. Hamilton, 1822; was successively teacher in Academies of Monson, Mass., Onondaga and Homer, N.Y., until 1852; was principal of Albany Normal School, 1852-56; and Secretary of Board of Regents 1856 to 1880. In all these positions he was a faithful, efficient, conscientious educator, and did vast good. He served as trustee of Hamilton College 44 years; was one of the founders and a president of the N.Y. State Teachers' Association. His ancestors were from New England.
Gorham A. WORTH, b. Nantucket, about 1773; his father came to Hudson, N.Y. and taught school. He came to Albany as teller in New York State Bank, in 1803, and became first Cashier of Mechanics and Farmers' Bank, in 1811; had charge of United States Branch Bank, at Cincinnati, 1817-21; removed to New York; for many years president of City Bank of N.Y.; acquired wealth and high social position there. Was an intelligent observer and a ready writer. Wrote "Recollections of Albany," and "Reminiscences of Cincinnati;" d. New Orleans, Apr. 3, 1856, aged 73.