"New England In AlbanyY"

Tenney, Jonathan
Boston: Crocker & Co., 1883

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]


Joseph ALDEN, b. Cairo, N.Y., Jan. 4, 1807; descendant of John Alden of the Mayflower; gr. Union, 1929; D.D. Union 1838; LL.D., Columbia, 1857. Studied Theology at Princeton; tutor there two years. Ordained pastor of Congregationalist Church, Williamstown, Mass., 1834; prof. Williams, 1835-52; prof. moral philos., Lafayette, 1852-7: pres. Jefferson, 1857-67; pres. N.Y. State Normal School, Albany, 1867-82. Author of many juvenile books, Elements of Intellectual Philosophy, Science of the U.S. Government, Christian Ethics, English Grammar, and a large contributor to N.Y. Observer and other religious journals.
William L. Alden, the author, is a son.

Otis ALLEN, b. Surry, N.H., Oct. 15, 1804; d. Albany, Mar. 27, 1865; came to this city and became law partner of Israel Williams, in 1833; of F. H. Hastings, until 1848; after this was without partner. An accurate, honest, successfuly lawyer; a citizen most heartily respected and trusted.

Ezra AMES, b. Mass. about 1768; was in Albany in 1793; d. Feb. 23, 1836, a. 68. He was a painter, and acquired distinction as a student of art; executed with great fidelity a large number of original portraits and made copies of many paintings of merit. He was a director in the Mechanics and Farmers' Bank, and left a good estate. Julius Rubens, an artist of promise, who died young, and Angelo, a well know resident of this city, are his sons.

James H. ARMSBY, b. Sutton, Mass., d. Albany, Dec. 3, 1875; succeeded Dr. March as professor of Anatomy and Physiology at Castleton, Vt., 1834; in 1838, resigned, and devoted all his time to raising funds to furnish and fit up a Museum and other things necessary to the establishment of a Medical College in Albany. Of this college he was one of the founders and always a devoted friend. He was one of the most popular of its lecturers from the first. He was also one of the founders of the Albany Hospital and of the Dudley Observatory. Always a public spirited, large hearted citizen, intent upon doing good, especially to young men of talent and moral worth. He held many honorable official positions. A bronze bust has been placed in Washington Park, by his students, aided by citizens, to commemorate the deeds of this good physician and great public benefactor.
Dr. Gideon H. Armsby was his son.

John F. BACON, b. Mass., settled in Albany as a lawyer; Clerk of State Senate, 1814-40; was U.S. Consul at Nassau, N.P., about 10 years; d. there Feb. 25, 1860, a. 71.

Samuel N. BACON, b. Harvard, Mass., Jan. 25, 1829; came to Albany 1848; is senior member of the large, long established and prosperous Coffee and Spice Establishment of Bacon, Stickney & Co., which grew out of the house of L.A. CHASE & Co. Mr. C. was a native of Hillsborough, N.H.; d. 1857, leaving large wealth and an unblemished name, which their successors have fully sustained.

Daniel D. BARNARD, b. Sheffield, Mass., 1797; d. Albany, Apr. 24, 1861; gr. Williams, 1818; began law practice at Rochester, N.Y., 1821; came to Albany 1832; was member of Assembly; M.C. 1828-80 and 1839-45; Minister of Prussia 1849-53; an active whig politician; a vigorous writer for Whig Review and other periodicals; a popular orator; published many addresses. LL.D., Geneva.

Ezra A. BARTLETT, descended from Dr. Josiah Bartlett of N.H., one of the signeres of the Declaration of Independence, and belongs to a family noted for physicians of eminence; b. Newburyport, Mass., July 18, 1845; gr. Rochester University; gr. M.D., Albany Medical College, and now a lecturer in the College and a resident physician.

Lewis C. BECK, b. Schenectady, N.Y., Oct. 4, 1798; d. Albany, Apr. 21, 1853; gr. Union, 1817; brother of Dr. T. R. Beck. Came to Albany about 1821; gave lectures and lessions in botany and chemistry in Rensselaer Institute, Vt. Academy of Medicine, and Middlebury College; in 1827, took charge of the New York Mineral Survey; in 1830, was prof. of Chemistry and Natural History at Rutgers. At time of his death, was prof. of Chemistry in Albany Mecical College. His published scientific writings are numberous and valuable.

Theodoric Romeyn BECK, of New England Ancestry, "his ancestors being amont the first settler of New England," b. Schenectady, N.Y., Aug. 11, 1791; d. Utica, Nov. 19, 1855; began to practice medicine in Albany, 1813; was principal of Albany Academy from 1817-48, in which position he gained a great reputation as an educator and left a lasting influence for good on the young men of Albany. While in this position, and during the few remaining years of his life, he did much collateral, useful and scholarly work, which places him high among the benefactors and scholars of this country. He gave lectures at Albany Medical College, 1840-54; was pres. State Medical Society, 1829; manager of the State Lunatic Asylum; founder of the Albany Institute, some years its president and promotor of its best working plans; for many years editor of the Am. Journal of Insanity; published many valuable papers, addresses and reports. His famous work on "Medical Jurisprudence" is standard in Europe as well as in America and has given him the name of father of that Science. In philanthropic works, his head, heart and hand were all in them.

Lewis BENEDICT, of Mass. stock: b. Albany, Sept. 2, 1817; killed in battle at Pleasant Hill, La., April 9, 1864; gr. Williams, 1837; began practice of law, 1841; held offices of City Attorney; Judge Advocate; and Surrogate of Albany Co., 1848-52; also Memb. of Assembly, 1860. Went into the Union service in 1861, as Lt. Col., and was conspicuous for soldierly conduct and bravery until he fell leading a charge. Became Col. and then brevet Brig. Gen. The G.A.R. Lew Benedict Post was named in honor of him.

Uriah G. BIGELOW, belonging to a family remarkable for producing many eminent physicians, originating in Mass., or now residing there; was b. Worcester, N.Y., Oct. 21, 1821; practiced medicine, with marked success in Albany, about 30 years; d. Feb. 23, 1873.

John M. BIGELOW, son of Dr. Uriah G., b. Albany, August 26, 1846; gr. Williams, 1866, and M.D. at Albany and Columbia, 1870; lecturer at Albany Med. Col.; has been del. to Am. Med. Ass. and N.Y. Med. Soc.; prest. Albany Co. Med. Soc.; prest. Y.M.A.; and is an active, successful rising physician and citizen.

Capt. Abraham BLOODGOOD is first mentioned as taking a cargo of goods in a sloop from New York to West Indies, starting Nov. 3, 1770, the consignors being merchants and others of Albany. He returned in due time, with run, limes and cottom. Among the consignees are James Bloodgood & Co. Abraham is named among the merchants in 1794; d. Feb. 17, 1807, a. 65, James d. May 4, 1799, a. 64, William d. June 29, 1801, a. 41, James d. Nov. 4, 1806, a. 35, Lynot d. Enfield, Ct., June 17, 1857, a. 76.
        S. DeWitt Bloodgood was grandson of Abraham. Of Lynot, it is said, he was born in Albany and belongs to one of those families whose names are associated with early history and progress of our city. He was buried in Utica. We think the family came from Ct. among the earliest N.E. emigrants; were mercantile and estimable citizens.

Francis BLOODGOOD, b. 1768; d. March 5, 1840; gr. Yale, 1787; laywer; one of the founders and first directors of the State Bank and for many years its president; Clerk of the Supreme Court; Mayor of the city, 1831-33. Was also pres. of Albany Insurance Co.; distinguished for excellence of his temper and the integrity of his character.

Lewis BOSS, b. Providence, R.I., Oct. 26, 1846; gr. Dartmouth, 1870; adopted the profession of astronomer, he studdied at the Naval Observatory, Washington, and was employed in government service until 1879, when he became director of the Dudley Observatory, Albany, and a professor of Astronomy in Union University. By his reported observations and published works on Astronomical subjects, he has already attained a world wide fame as a devoted astronomer of distinguished merit and promising future.

Lebbues BOOTH, b. Danbury, Ct.; moved to Ballston with his father, when a boy; gr. Union, 1813; prin. Female Academy, 1815-24; md. only dau. of Ebenezer FOOTE, the founder; had private school at Ballston several years; d. there Dec. 16, 1859.

John Melancthon BRADFORD, D.D., b. Danbury, Ct., May 12, 1781; d. March 26, 1826; gr. Brown, 1800; pastor of (two initials hard to read) Reformed Dutch Church, Albany, 1802-20; "a man of commanding presence;" "an eloquent and impressive preacher;" "among the distinguished pulpit orators of his day."
        His son, Alexander W., was an eminent lawyer; sometime Surrogate of New York.

John E. BRADLEY, b. Lee, Mass., Aug. 8, 1839; gr. Williams, 1865; Ph.D. 1879; principal of Pittsfield High School, 1865-68; and of Albany High School, from its first opening in a hall as Free Academy in 1868, with 140 pupils, to its present firm establishment, in a model building, with about 600 pupils, 20 teachers and a first-class rank among similar instituions in the country. In 1878 he visited Europe, as Commissioner at the Paris Exhibition, and made a valuable report to the State. he is known and felt in the religious, social, charitable and educational organizations of the city, and is, also, active in the interests of his Alma Mater, and of the State work for advancement of learning.

James Gordon BROOKS, b. Claverack, N.Y., Sept. 3, 1801; d. Albany, Feb. 20, 1841. Son of David, a Rev. officer; gr. Union, 1829. Studied law; went to New York City, 1823; Ed. "Minerva," "Literary Gazette," "Atheneum," "Morning Courier," and cont. to "Commercial Advertiser." In 1828, md. Mary Elizabeth AIKEN, of Poughkeepsie, a literary lady. In 1829, they pub., as joint authors, "Rivals of Este and other Poems." In 1838 they moved to Albany.

Jonas H. BROOKS, descended from one of the earliest and most repectable families of Mass.; b. Rutland, Mass., Jan. 5, 1848; studied at Oxford (N.Y.) Academy; was teacher, bank clerk and bank director, before he came to the 1st National Exchange Bank, Albany, in 1873, as teller, and in 1881, as cashier.

Jesse BUEL, b. Coventry, Ct., Jan. 4, 1778; d. Danbury, Oct. 6, 1839. A printer, he went to Albany in 1813; established and edited the Argus until 1821. Was a large hearted, public spirited, highly esteemed citizen. Was well known as an active and influential promotor of local institutions of religion, education and benevolence. Member of State Assembly, of the State Board of Regents, and in 1836, Whig candidate for governor of the State.
        He owned, occupied and successfully cultivated a large farm in the west part of the city, ever aftr 1821; in 1834, established the Cultivator, in which he, by his practical knowledge, common sense, and hearty zeal, was successful in creating a greater respect for cultivating the soil, presenting improved methods, and showing how profits could be made. He delivered numerous addresses on agricultural subjects; pub. the "Farmers Instructor" and "Farmers Companion." He lived a public benefactor, and left a great and precious name.

Aaron BURR. This man of brilliant parts, great ambition, tireless activity and questionable patriotism, studied law in Albany, having Alexander Hamilton as a fellow student; married here, opened a law office here, and was for some years well kown and influential in this city.
        His only child, Theodosia, was born here.
        He was son of Aaron Burr, president of Princeton, and grandson of Jonathan EDWARDS, of genuine New England stock; b. Newark, N.J. Feb. 6, 1756; d. Staten Island, Sept. 14, 1836; gr. Princeton, 1772. He did service under Montgomery, Arnold, Putnam, Stirling and Washington during four years of the Revolution; held in N.Y. state, the offices of member of the Assembly, Att'y General, and Com. of Claims; was from 1791-97, a leader in the U.S. Senate; Vice Pres. of U.S. four years from 1801; killed Hamilton in a duel July 12, 1804; was tried and acquitted of treason in Aug. 1807; afterwards spent four or five years in London and Paris; returned to New York in 1812, and spent the rest of his life in quiet practice of law. He was a remarkable man in his greatness and in his weakness.

Benjamin F. BUTLER, a descendant of Oliver CORNWELL, in his maternal line; b. Kinderhook, N.Y., Dec. 15, 1795; d. Paris, France, Nov. 8, 1858; studied law with Martin Van Buren; became his partner in 1817; district atty. of Albany Co. 1821-25; served in the State Assembly; was on committee with John DUER and John C. SPENCER, to revise Statues of New York. U.S. Attorney under Jackson, 1831-34; acting Sec. of War, Oct. 1836 to Mar. 1837; U.S. District Atty. for Southern N.Y. 1838-41. Joined the republican party on passage of Kansas-Nebrasks bill, and voted for Fremont.
        After this he was instrumental in founding the University of New York, and while practicing his profession, served as law professor in that institution.

Samuel CARY, b. Providence, R.I., Aug. 18, 1766; d. Bethlehem, N.Y. Feb. 16, 1845. Came to Albany, 1827; was a most acceptable preacher of the Society of Friends or Quakers; lived an eminently blameless and useful life; his influence and example widely felt and acknowledged.
        His son Joseph, b. Albany Co., Jan. 30, 1802; d. Albany, Aug. 29, 1879; for nearly 40 years pursued the business of a wholesale provision merchant, in Albany, in company with his brother, David H., who died in 1865. Both left unblemished and honored names.

Nathaniel Hazeltine CARTER, b. Concord, N.H., Sept. 17, 1787; d. Marseilles, France, Jan. 2, 1830; gr. Dartmouth, 1811; taught in Salisbury, N.H. and Portland, Me.; read law; prof. of languages at Dartmouth, 1817-20. In 1820 became ed. and prop. of Albany Register. Pub. "Letters from Europe," in 1827, after traveling there 1825-27; spent winter of 1828 in Cuba; relinquished his paper and went to France for his health in 1829. As poems, he wrote "Burial at Sea," "Pains of Imagination," "Hymn for Christman," and many minor ones.

Asa H. CENTER, b. Berkshire, Mass., 1779; a printer in Pittsfield; came here early in this century as foreman in the Centinel office; about 1805 went into mercantile business with Nathaniel David; dissolved and went to New York in 1827; continued business there until his deah in 1857; an active, public spirited man, enjoying good will of the community.

John CHESTER, b. Wethersfield, Conn., Aug. 1785; d. Philadelphia, Jan. 12, 1829; gr. Yale 1804; D.D. Union 1821; pastor of Presb. church, Hudson, N.Y. 1809-15; first pastor of 2nd Presby. church, Albany, 1815-28; amiable and sympathetic as a man; fervid and persuasive in the pulpit; and earnest worker for the education of the young and for every worthy enterprise; he was very useful here and endeared himself greatly to his people. He was the pastor of DeWitt Clinton.

Rufus W. CLARKE, b. Newburyport, Mass., 1813; gr. Yale, 1838; pastor of No. Cong. church, Portsmouth, N.H., till Dec. 1851; of Maverick church, E. Boston, 1852-56; of So. Cong. church, Brooklym 1857-62; of 1st Reformed church, Albany, 1862-83.
        D.D. Univ. of N.Y., 1862; author of Heaven and its Scriptural Emblems; Memoirs of Rev. J.E. Emerson; Lectures to Young Men; Review of Dr. Stuart on Slavery; Romanism in America; Bible in Schools; Moody and Sankey in England; Life Scenes of the Messiah; Heroes of Albany; Premillennial Essays, and numerous sermons, pamphlets and essays on various subjects. He was a faithful pstor, a diligent workman, and did great good in t his city. he is brother of Bishop Clarke of R.I., and has four sons in the ministry.

David H. COCHRANE, of New England parentage, b. July 5, 1828; gr. Hamilton, 1850; after other teaching, was principal Albany Normal School, 1856-64; thence went to Brooklyn as the president of the Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute. To his work he has always brought scholarship, energy and executive ability. LL D. Hamilton, 1869.

Mason F. COGSWELL, b. Hartford, Conn., Nov. 10, 1809; d. Albany, Jan. 21, 1865; son of an eminent physician and surgeon of same name in Conn. (1761-1830) who gr. Yale 1780. Yale 1780.
        Came to this city in 1833 and devoted himself to the duties of his profession with almost singular zeal and fidelity. He attained a foremost rank. His own patriotic emotions and the confidence of the appointing powers are attested by his position as examining surgeon, and afterwards as hospital surgeon in important posts. He, also, heard his country's call for volunteer surgeons and readily took his place in camp and field. He was, in all places, not only the good physician, but the true man, sympathetic, genial, sincere and thoroughly upright.

John O. COLE, b. Sharon, Conn., Oct. 5, 1793; d. Albany, Jan. 4, 1878; came to this city in 1814; printer; studied law; held office of police justice forty-four years; a man in inflexible integrity, and large public respect; was always active in the interest of public morals and public education; was pres. of the Board of Education 20 years, and Supt. of Schools for eight years previous to his death.
        Among his sons are Addison D. and Charles W. of this city. The latter succeeds his father as Supt. of Public Instruction.

Andrew J. COLVIN is a lineal descendant, through his paternal grandmother, from the FULLERS of the Mayflower; an estimable citizen and lawyer. Verplank, Supt. of the Adirondack Survey, is his son.

Charles D. COOPER, the 4th of 10 sons of Dr. Ananias Cooper, b. Rhinebeck, N.Y. 1769; ancestors among the early English Puritans of Mass.; d. Albany, Jan. 30, 1831. Came to Albany as physician in 1792; health officer, 1794-98; interested himself in politics; held offices of county clerk and county judge for some years; also Indian agent; was Secretary of State 1817. Noted as a man of remarkable physical force, great influence and high sense of honor.
        Gen. John Taylor Cooper of Albany, and Rev. Charles D. Cooper of Philadelphia are his sons.

Erastus CORNING, b. Norwich, Conn., Dec. 14, 1794; d. Albany, April 8, 1872. Went to Troy in hardware store of his uncle, Benjamin SMITH, in 1807, and inherited most of his estate. In 1814, came to Albany as clerk, where he, after a few years, established the widely known and always prosperous house of Erastus Corning & Co.; was a leader for many years, in the principal business enterprises of the city, such as banks, canals and railroads; and held the most important executive offices in them.
        He was alderman of the city, and 3 years a Mayor; several years a member of the state legislature; member of Congress 1857-9, '61-'63, '65-'67; of the London Peace Congress in 1861; and delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1867. In 1863, he retired from business with a fortune estimated at five millions, to which is son, Erastus, succeeded. He was large hearted and liberal; an unostentatious giver; a wise counselor; a public benefactor. Education, morals, charity, religion, all moved his activities. He was held in affection and honor by friends of these causes.

Alonzo CRITTENDEN, b. Richmond, Mass., d. Brooklyn, N.Y., 1883; gr. Union, 1824; an eminent teacher; princ. of Albany Female Academy 1826-45; after this, princ. of Packer Institute, Brooklyn. He was one of the pioneers in the movement favoring increased facilities for the higher education of women in our country, and practically worked with this purpose all his life.

Harry CROSWELL, b. W. Hartford, Conn., June 16, 1778; d. New Haven, March 13, 1858. Was a pupil of Noah Webster; D.D. Trinity, 1831. In 1802, he came to Hudson; became proprietor and editor of the Balance, and subsequently of the Wasp. Was an intense federalist and wrote vigorously and severly against his political opponents. Hamilton's last and greatest forensic effort was in his defense in a famous political libel suit.
        In 1808, came to Albany and established another federal paper, an article in which led to another prosecution for libel by his opponent, Solomon SOUTHWICK, who recovered damages. Disguested with politics, Mr. Croswell took orders in the Episcopal Church in 1814; preached a short time at Hudson; then became rector of Trinity church, New Haven, which continued from 1815 until 1858.

Sherman CROSWELL, son of Rev. Harry C., b. Hudson, N.Y. 1803; d. New Haven, Conn., March 3, 1859; gr. Yale, 1822; read law; came in 1826 to Albany, and was associated with Edwin Croswell, as ed. the Argus until 1855. Was author of Corswell's Legislative Manual, which is still authority in the N.Y. legislature.

William CROSWELL, son of Rev. Dr. Harry, b. Hudson, N.Y. Nov. 7, 1804; d. Boston, Nov. 8, 1871; gr. Yale 1822; studied law and pursued literary labors at Albany; then pursued theological studies at New York and Hartford, editing Christian Watchman at the same time; rector of Christ church, Boston, 1829-40; St. Peters, Auburn, N.Y., 1840-44; Church of the Advent, Boston, remainder of his life.
        His poems and correspondence pub. by his father in 1833, contain some of the sweetest composition in our language. His life was a beautiful example of self-denying charity and religious devotion. D.D. Trinity, 1846.

Edwin CROSWELL, nephew of Rev. Dr. Harry, b. Catskill, N.Y., May 29, 1797; d. Princeton, N.J., June 13, 1871. Assisted his father as ed. of the Catskill Recorder, supporting the War of 1812, and so managed it as to command much notice. He took control of the Albany Argus in 1824, changed it to a daily, and made it a leading organ of the democratic party in New York State; ranking high for the signal ability with which it was conducted, all over the country. He retired in 1854. Was State printer, 1823-40. His literary publications are numerousm and his name and influence as a jouranlist will long remain.

Hooper CUMMING, son of Gen. John N. Cumming, a Revolutionary officer; b. Newark, N.J.; gr. Princeton, 1805; studied theology at Andover; was pastor of the Seceders' church, as the 3rd Presby. church of Albany was then called, from 1817 to '23; resigned and went to New York city as pastor of United Preby. church; health failing, he went to Charlestown, S.C., where he died in 1825. He was a man of wonderful pulpit power, people of all classes thronging his church to overflowing every Sabbath.

Charles DAVIES, b. Washington, Conn., Jan. 28, 1798; ed. at West Point, 1815; LL.D. Geneva, 1840. Early worked on a farm with his father in St. Lawrence Co. Prof. at West Point, 1816-37; at Trinity 1839-41; New York University 1848-49; Albany Normal School and Columbia, 1857-65. Was paymaster in the army, 1841-42. As a teacher of mathematics and as author of a full series of mathematical works for all grades of American Schools, he ranks unrivaled; d. Fishkill, N.Y., Sept. 17, 1876.

Amos DEAN, descended from Walter, of Taunton; b. Barnard, Vt., Jan. 16, 1803; d. Albany, Jan. 26, 1868; gr. Union, 1826. Entering the profession of law, he came to Albany, and as learned in legal knowledge, always held highest rank. He was the real founder of the Albany Law School, aided by Judges Harris and Parker; from its organization in 1851, was its head professor and lecturer; also, filled the chair of lecturer on medical jurisprudence in the Albany Medical College from its opening in 1839. He projected the Young Men's Association in 1833, and was its first president.
        Among his many lectures and writings, the following are published:
        Medical Jurispurdence, 1854.
        Phrenology, 1835.
        Manual of Law, 1838.
        Philosophy of Human Life, 1839.
        History of Civilization, 7 Vols., since his decease.
        He was held in high estimation in all stations filled by him; an eminently useful man. He was a trustee of the Albany Female Academy, Dudley Observatory, and the State Normal School; he lectured several years in the Iowa University.

Capt. Stewart DEAN fitted out the sloop, Experiement, 80 tons, in Albany, and made a voyage to Canton, China, starting Dec. 1785, and returning April 1787, with a cargo of nankeens, teas, silks, and 13 sets of china ware. It was a wonder in that day and excited general interest, especially in Albany and New York. He made several voyages to China subsequently, Dean Street preserved his name. He seems to have been born in Conn.; made Albany his home many years, and died in New York about 1845, aged 85.

Philander DEMING, of New England ancestry; b. Schoharie, N.Y., 1829; gr. Vt. University, 1861; and at Albany Law School; became stenographic reporter to the N.Y. Supreme Court, 1866; also legislative reporter; is the only Albany contributor to the Atlantic Monthly, and has done and is doing much literary work. He published Adirondack Stories.

Charles DEVOL; parents from Westport, Mass.; b. Schaghticoke, N.Y., April 4, 1809; gr. M.D. at Fairfield, 1831; came to Albany 1854; began to preach in 1836, as member Troy Conference, and has since preached in Albany and many other places, and practiced medicine. He is a man of varied knowledge, a prolific writer, an original thinker, and a good man.

John A. DIX spent some years in Albany and made himself an interested and influential citizen. Born Boscawen, N.H., July 24, 1798; d. 1879. Did eminent military service for his country in the wars of 1812 and 1861; was largely useful in the Assembly and as chief executive of his adopted State of New York; also, as its Secy. of State and Supt. of Schools; he showed sagacious statesmanship in the U.S. Senate, and wisdom in the Cabinet councils; he made a skillful diplomatist abroad; he has written well of his travels, in his state papers and addresses. In this city his name is held in great honor as a citizen, scholar, statesman and patriot. His good fame is national and European as well.

Lorenzo DOW preached in the early days of Methodism, here in Albany, attracting, as everywhere, crowds of listeners. Born Coventry, Conn., Oct. 16, 1777; d. Georgetown, D.C., Feb. 2, 1834.

George DUMMER, b. New Haven, Conn. Feb. 8, 1782; d. Jersey City, N.J., Feb. 21, 1853; was a member of the firm of Webb & Dummer in Albany, in a wholesale store, in 1807, and did a prosperous business many years. He retired, and after a brief residence in New York, removed, in 1825, to Jersey City, where he had erected two extensive factories, one for the manufacutre of flint glass, the other for making China Ware. These works did much for the growth of Jersey City. The glass factory never seased its burning night and day for 40 years. For many years Mr. D. was leading citizen of the city, remarkable for his pubic spirit, common sense, liberality, and love for order, for the useful and the good. The laboring people always found him their true friend.

William DURANT, b. Middlefield, Mass.; came to Albany about 1813; d. Albany, 1845; produce merchant; trustee of Albany Savings Bank; intelligent, energetic, successful and liberal in works of charity.

Clark DURANT, b. Middlefield, Mass., came to Albany in 1825; brother to William and in business with him; d. New York 1873; very generous; gave $10,000 to the Albany Hospital; bought and sustained the "Bethel;" gave the bell to the 3rd Presby. Church, etc. Was 1st pres. of Board of Trade; director of Commercial Bank.

William C. DURANT, nephew of W. and C., came to Albany, 1843; engaged in milling and flour business. William born Albany, gr. Princeton, late pastor of 6th Presby. church, Albany, is a son.

Homer EATON; b. Enosburgh, Vt., 1834; D.D. Syracuse Univ., 1879; from 1872-74, pastor of Grace Meth. church Albany, and from 1867-79, presiding Elder of Albany district. Was in 1872 and '80, member of General Conference, and in 1881, delegate to the Ecumenical Coucil, London.
        Joel W. Eaton is his brother.

Joel W. EATON, b. Enosburgh, Vt., Sept. 26, 1831; gr. Meth. Bib. Inst. 1855; D.D. Wesleyan Univ., 1881; member of Troy Conference since 1857; and came as pastor of Ashgrove church to Albany, 1881; has been army Chaplain, member of General Conference, and contributed largely to the religious literature of his church.

James W. EATON, b. New Jersey, Aug. 22, 1817; his father a native of N.H.; came to Albany as contractor and builder in his early manhood; in 1874 was appointed by Gov. Dix, Supt. of Construction of the State Capitol, which difficult position he held with credit to himself and advantageously to the State until 1883.
        Calvin W., lumber merchant, and James W., lawyer, are his sons.

Franklin EDSON, b. Chester, Vt., April 5, 1832; came to Albany in Feb. 1852, and joined his brother Cyrus in distilling business. Here was director of State Bank, pres. Y.M.A., and vestryman of St. Paul's. In 1866, went into produce business in New York City. Has been prominent there in business circles; pres. of Produce Exchange; bank director; school trustee. Was elected Mayor of N.Y. in 1882.

Isaac EDWARDS, b. Corinth, N.Y. Aug. 30, 1819; d. Albany, Mar. 26, 1879; descended from good New England parentage; came to Albany in 1838, and to the practice of law in 1843. With a clear, well balanced mind; accurate in knowledge; patient in hearing and weighing; fearlessly just, he became distinguished as a reference lawyer, and much employed as such, as well as in trusts and real estate.
        His published works on "Bailments," "Bill and Notes," "Factors and Brokers," place him among the best legal writers in the English language. For 12 years from 1867, he stood at the head of the Albany Law School; and, by his clear and thorough instructions and wise management, added much to its standing.

Charles Lovering ELLIOT, of N.E. stock, b. Scipio, N.Y., Dec. 1812; d. Albany, Aug. 25, 1868. He devoted all his leisure moments while clerk in a country store to his favorite pursuits of drawing and painting. About 1834, became a pupil of Trumbull. His first attempts at portrait painting were not successful. By perseverance he came, in his later years, to rank as one of the first of American portrait painters.

Ebenezer EMMONS, b. Middlefield, Mass., May 16, 1799; d. Brunswick, N.C., Oct. 1, 1863; gr. Williams; became M.D. and a successful practitioner; prof. of Natural History at Williams in 1833; made a report on Quadrupeds of Mass., and added much to the knowledge of botany, mineralogy and geology in the northern States. In 1836 was engaged in opposition to the received Silurian theory, which has since been accepted; removed to Albany in 1838, and became prof. of Chemistry in Medical college; began the geology Survey of N.C. in 1858, and was kept from returning home by the Rebellion. His reports on the Natural History of N.Y., and on the Geology and Agriculture of N.C. are very valuable, as were also, at the time, his text books on Mineralogy and Geology.

Samuel Ware FISHER, b. Morristown, N.J., where his father was a Presby. minister, April 5, 1814; d. College Hill, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1874; gr. Yale; began preaching at W. Bloomfield, N.J.; came to Albany as pastor of fourth Presby. church, 1843; afterwards, pastor 11 years in Cincinnati, and eight years pres. of Hamilton College; finally, pastor in Utica. He was among the ablest clergymen in the church; clear, direct, affluent and vigorous in style; lofty in his themes; manly and eloquent in their utterance.

E. G. FOLSOM, b. Ashtabula Co., Ohio, May 1, 1821; gr. Oberlin 1847; teacher of penmanship in public schools of Cleveland, studying, first, theology and then medicine meanwhile; opened Folsom's Mercantile College in 1851, in that city; came to Albany in 1862, and hs since alone and with partners, successfully conducted Folsom's Business College here. He has had wide connections with several other similar colleges, and has published a valuable treatise on the "Logic of Accounts." He is an earnest, systematic, faithful, progressive educator.

Ebenezer FOOT, founder of Albany Female Academy, b. Conn.; a successful lawyer, practicing here in the early part of this century; d. July 21, 1814, a. 41 years.
        His only daughter married Lebbeus BOOTH, second principal of the School.
        Samuel A. Foot, once a prominent lawyer here and afterwards a State Senator and county jude, was a brother.

Amos FOWLER, whose father was from Lebanon, Ct., b. Cohocton, N.Y., July 5, 1820; gr. M.D. from Univ. of New York, 1846; came to Albany in 1849, and has since practiced here.
        Warren H. Fowler, M.D., 1879, Jefferson Med. Col., is a son.

William FOWLER, b. East Chester, Westchester Co., N.Y., Feb. 10, 1774; worked in manufacture of morocco in New York City; came to Albany in 1793; lost by a great fire; was started again chiefly by John Jacob Astor.
        Married Margaret STEVENSON in 1796; was extensively engaged in wool and fur business with Benjamin Knower; retired with a good estate in 1824; one of the founders of Mechanics and Farmer Bank in 1811; a director till his death, Jan. 11, 1861.
        Rev. Philemon Fowler of Utica is a son.

Samuel H. FREEMAN, b. Hanover, N.H., Aug. 24, 1821; gr. Dartmouth, 1843; gr. Albany Med. Col. 1846; for twelve years was associated with Dr. J.H. Armsby in practice; continues practice in Albany; has twice been president of the County Mecial Society, and is a member of curators of the Medical College and of the State Society.

William W. FROTHINGHAM, b. Hudson, N.Y., Sept. 21, 1796; d. Albany, Jan. 25, 1876; son of Hon. Thomas, of Charlestown, Mass., an honored revolutionary patriot who was a member of the N.Y. Senate, 1820-23, and d. at Sand Lake, N.Y., 1827; a successful lawyer and esteemed citizen.

Worthington FROTHINGHAM, b. Albany, Feb. 23, 1832; son of William W.; a lawyer, for 20 years United States Circuit Court Commissioner and Master of Chancery.
        Walter D., lawyer, is a son.

Elias GATES, b. Westmoreland, N.H., Sept. 7, 1801; came to Albany 1825; opened a bookstore in 1830 and, until 1861, was chiefly engaged in this business at Troy and Albany, with different partners. A man of intelligence and integrity, enjoying universal respect.

Joseph E. GAVIT, b. New York, Oct. 29, 1817; d. Stockbridge, Mass., Aug. 25, 1874. Settled in Albany, 1838; bank note engraver from 1841-59; carried on an extensive business in engraving in Albany; went to N.Y. City in 1859, and was instrumental in the formation of the American Bank Note Co.; became general superintendent, vice president, and from 1866, president of the Co. Devoted much of his time to the practical study of natural history and microscopy, in which he acquired extensive and critical knowledge, and remarkable skill. Was president of N.Y. Microsopical Society.
        His son Joseph is carrying on the work of engraving in Albany.

Horace GOODRICH, gr. Union, 1814; first prin. of Albany Female Academy; d. Albany, 1815; good classical scholar; fond of music; beloved by his patrons. He was of N.E. ancestry.

Thomas GOULD, came here from R.I., and carried on the hardware business, about 1790. At first his brother, Job Gould, and Benjamin Dickinson were associated with him. After 1798, each of the Goulds carried on the same business separately; both acquired fortunes. Thomas d. April 22, 1820.

Matthew GREGORY, b. Wilton, Conn., Aug. 21, 1757; d. Albany, June 4, 1848. He held commissions, and served with honor during the whole war of the revolution; came to Waterford, N.Y., 1791, and kept a small inn; and to Albany in 1803, in charge of the "Tontine," then the great hotel of the city; became proprietor of the "Eagle Tavern" in 1806; and having acquired a fortune, in 1814, bought and occupied for thirty-five years the "Congress Hall: property. He was a useful citizen, supporting all good objects; prudent in his affairs; neat, orderly, exact and prompt in all that he undertook. He was always connected, in some official position, with local matters of business, religion and benevolence.

Silvester HALE, b. Dalton, Mass., April 8, 1804; d. Albany, Aug. 27, 1881; came to Albany 1836, and carried on a large wholesale flour and grain business; served as bank director, as president of Board of Trade, and for nearly thirty years as elder in the 4th Presby. church.
His sons are William H., gr. Yale, 1860, Ph.D., 1862, a lawyer, and Lorenzo, M.D.

Matthew HALE, b. Chelsea, Vt., June 20, 1829; gr. Vt. University, 1851; 1867-8 State Senator from Essex County; settled in Albany 1868, and is a leading member of the bar, and a prominent citizen.

James HALL, b. Hingham, Mass., Sept. 12, 1811; studied natural sciences at the Rensselaer Polytechnic School, Troy, N.Y., 1831-36. Appointed one of the New York State geologists; he has resided in Albany since 1837, when he began to survey the western district of the state, publishing the results in 1843. Giving now special attention to paleozoic formations; he published 3 vols. on the "Paleontology of New York," in 1847-59, and is still engaged in this kind of work.
        He is also director of the State Museum of Natural History, the establishment, arrangement and great value of which are very largely due to his science, industry and skill. He has, also, assisted in the Canadian survey, and been State Surveyor in Wisconsin and Iowa. He has been honored by many European and American scientific societies; has contributed to their "Transactions," and written many of the government papers on fossils. His facts and opinions are known and valued wherever science is known and valued.

Jabez D. HAMMOND, b. New Bedford, Mass., Aug. 2, 1778; d. at Cherry Valley, N.Y., Aug. 18, 1855; taught school at 15; practiced medicine in Reading, Vt.,, when 21; settled in the practice of law in Cherry Vally in 1805; was M.C., 1815-17; State Senator, 1817-21; a practicing lawyer in Albany 1822-30; commissioner to settle N.Y. claims vs. U. States, 1825-6; visited Europe 1831; returned to Cherry Valley; was County Judge in 1838. He is author of "Political History of N.Y.," 2 vols., "Life and Times of Silas Wright," and "Julius Melbourne."

Ira HARRIS, b. Charleston, N.Y., May 31, 1802; d. Albany, Dec. 2, 1875; descended from one of the colonists who followed Roger Williams; gr. Union, 1824; came to Albany as student, under Ambrose Spencer; began his eminent legal career in 1827; member of Assembly, 1844-45; of State Constitutional Convention, 1846-67; Judge of Supreme Court, 1847-59; U.S. Senator 1861-67. As a legislator he was vigilent and discreet; as jurist, impartial and learned; as a statesman, always for country as above party. He ws known, honored, and useful in the cause of liberal learning, having been for many years president of trustees of Union, a trustee of Vassar, and chancellor of Rochester, beside several similar trust of a local character. For several years he was an esteemed lecturer in the Albany Law School, and president of trustees of the Medical School. He left a great and good name.
        Hon. Hamilton Harris, of this city, late State Senator, is a brother.

Hamilton HARRIS, b. Preble, N.Y., May 21, 1821; of R.I. ancestry; fitted for college at Homer and Albany; gr. Union, 1841; came to Albany bar in 1845; practiced ever since here; was member of Assembly in 1851; District Attorney, 1853; chairman of Republican State Committee, 1864-70; president of Capitol Commission, 1866-75; State Senator, 1875-79. He cultivates literature; is a good writer and speaker, an able lawyer, a shrewd politician, skilled in organizing and leading. His popularity has enabled him to overcome large opposition majorities, and succeed where others have failed.
        Frederick, Union, 1875, a lawyer, is his son.

Gideon HAWLEY, b. Huntington, Conn., Sept. 26, 1785; d. Albany, July 17, 1870; gr. Union 1809; LL.D. Rutgers, 1834. His home was in Saratoga Co. from 1794 until he was admitted to the bar as a lawyer in 1812, when he settled in Albany. His tastes were for literature and science. He early and always took a lively interest in education of the masses. He held the office of State Supt. of Schools, 1813-18; Secretary of the Board of Regents, 1814-41; and regent of Smithsonian Institute, 1846-70. "Essays in Truth and Knowledge," is his only printed work outside of official papers. He was regent from 1842; and Trustee of State Normal School, Albany Academy, and Albany Female Academy, many years.
        "To no individual in the State are the friends of common school education more deeply indebted for the impetus given to the cause of elementary instruction in its infancy, than to Gideon Hawley." This may be, after a long and steadily useful live in many positions, his highest praise.

Henry A. HOMES, b. Boston, Mass., March 10, 1812; gr. Amherst, 1830; studied theology at Andover, and medicine at Yale. From 1836-50, he was in the American Missionary work at Constantinople, followed by some three years in the American Legation, and as Charge d'Affaires at the Porte. He has been a resident of Albany since 1854, as assistant librarian or as librarian of the State Library. For his present position as chief librarian, he is eminently fitted by scholarship, cultivated tastes, and habits of research. His contributions to literature are varied in subject, and valuable to the librarian, the historian and the antiquarian. LL.D. Columbia 1873.

Friend HUMPHREY, b. Simsbury, Conn., 1787; came to Albany 1811; d. March 15, 1854; leather merchant; Mayor 1843; very energetic; a very popular Mayor and most useful citizen.
        Gen. Chauncey Humphrey was a brother.

Isaac and George HUTTON acquired wealth here in the manufacture and sale of jewelry and silver ware. They afterwards embarked in the less successful business of cottom naufacture. Isaac died at Stuyvesant Landing, Sept. 8, 1855, aged 68; George died at Rhinebeck. They held prominent positions in business instutions here.

Elisha JENKINS, of New England stock; his early life was spent in Hudson, N.Y.; liberally educated; pursued a mercantile life until he became wealthy; he came to Albany about 1801; was State Comptroller, 1801-6, and Secretary of State three years; and Mayor of the city, 1814-19. He also filled many minor offices, and had great influence in promoting the growth of the city. He was a man of excellent sense; a gentleman in every walk of life, and carried with him into public life amenity of manners, strict integrity, and the best of business habits.

Edmund L. JUDSON, b. Albany, Nov. 13, 1830; s. of Ichabod L., whom he succeeded in the provision trade, 31 years ago. Was Alderman of the city, 1862-66, and Mayor, 1874-76. Nathaniel, who came here in 1796, was his grandsire, and Albert C., late County Clerk, is his brother.

James KENT, grandson of Rev. Elisha Kent, of Suffield, Conn.; b. Philippi, N.Y., July 31, 1763; spent his youth in Fairfield Co., Conn.; d. New York City, Dec. 12, 1847; gr. Yale, 1781; LL.D., Columbia, 1797. After coming to the bar, 1787, he practiced in Poughkeepsie until 1793; went to New York City; became prof. of law in Columbia; City Recorder in 1797; Judge of Supreme Court, 1798; Chief Justice, 1804; Chancellor, 1814-23. Resided in Albany during most of these last, and some subsequent years, and represented the Co., in the Const. Convention of 1821. Returning to New York City, he was prof. of law in Columbia in 1824; and in 1826-30, published his great work, "Commentaries on American Law," in 4 vols. His rank as a jurist and legal writer, and his valuable public service, are well known.

Austin H. KIBBEE, of Conn. parentage; b. Malden, N.Y., April 22, 1822; came to Albany in 1845; in charge of machinery of Jagger Iron Works, eight years; and has, since 1858, been in the lumber trade; has been very active in church and Sunday-school work; was Supt. Cong. Sab. School 24 years; and is now, for 13 years, pres. of directors of House of Shelter, and a promoter of other good works; also an Alderman.

George KILBOURNE, b. Hartford, Conn., July 6, 1792; lived 40 years in Albany; a drum maker. James, the third of his ten children, b. Albany, March 22, 1820; died Aug. 11, 1881; carpenter by trade, and gloried in his calling; but was regarded as one of the most remarkable nutural orators of the State, especially in political campaigns. He canvassed the State several times, drawing crowds, always arousing the greatest enthusiasm, by his strong logic and stirring eloquence. He sought no office; but was an honest man and a true patriot.

Rufus KING, son of Charles, and grandson of the eminent statesman, Rufus; b. New York City, Jan. 26, 1814; gr. at West Point, 1833; engineer of construction at Fortress Monroe; also in N.Y. & Erie Railroad; came to Albany as writer on the Evening Journal; afterwards edited Daily Advertiser. Appointed Adj. Gen. of N.Y., by Gen. Seward; was School Commissioner for Albany Co.
        Removing to Milwaukee, he edited the Sentinel. In 1861, appointed Minister to Rome; but remained in the country, and did important service in the Union cause. In 1867 he went to Rome; d. Oct. 13, 1876.

Rufus H. KING, b. Ridgefield, Conn., 1795; d. Albany, July 9, 1867. His father, Gen. Joshua King, was a distinguished officer in the Revolutionary War. Came to Albany in 1806; clerk in retail dry goods store of Bogart & McHarg; in 1815, became one of the firm of McHarg & King; afterwards R.H. King & Co., wholesale dealers; did immense business, and acquired a colossal fortune. Taking a lively interest in public affairs, and active in promoting worthy enterprises, he declined political office; but was one of the most trusted and influential in financial circles, holding offices as director in banks, insurance Cos., board of trade, etc. From 1840-67, was president of State Bank. The late Col. Henry L. King, J. Howard King, now president of State Bank, and a leading citizen, and Gen. Rufus H. King, are his sons; and Mrs. Gen. Franklin Townsend, his daughter.

Benjamin KNOWER was from Mass., and resided in Albany nearly 40 years. He came here a hatter, and also carried on extensive mercantile operations. He was remarkable as a friend to the young men in his employ, helping them, as a duty and a pleasure, in their start in business life. His business capacity was unsurpassed, carrying it into every worthy public enterprise, and carrying on all his undertakings with an unsullied reputation for good sense and integrity. He was one of the founders of the Mechanics and Farmers Bank, and its president many years. As a mechanic he was confessedly at the head; and by his active co-operation in founding and carrying on, for many years, the Mechanics Institute, and the Uranion School for the children of mechanics, did much to elevate this useful class of citizens in his day. He died Aug. 23, 1839, a. 64.

Dyer LATHROP, b. Bozrah, Conn., May 4, 1788; d. Albany, April 18, 1855; came to Albany in 1811; merchant until his death. A man of great industry, solid sense, universally respected; very benevolent; was one of the founders and constant supporters of the Orphan Asylum, a leading charity of the city, and for 24 years its treasurer.
        Daniel S. LATHROP, b. Albany, April 13, 1825; d. 1883; was his eldest son; as a business man successfuly, and widely and favorably known.

William L. LEARNED, b. New London, Conn., July 24, 1821; gr. Yale, with salutatory honor, 1841; ad. to bar 1844; came to Albany soon after; had Gilbert L. Wilson, James C. Cook, and Rufus G. Beardslee, as law partners; app. Justice of Supreme Court, by Gov. Hoffman, 1870, in place of Judge Peckham, deceased; elected, in fall of 1870, Judge of Supreme Court for a term of 14 years; made Pres. Justice of 3d judicial department in 1875; professor in Albany Law School now for several years; president of trustees of Albany Female Academy; LL.D. Yale, 1878.
        John De Witt PELTZ, lawyer, married a daughter.

Noah LEVINGS, b. Cheshire Co., N.H., Sept. 29, 1796; d. Cincinnati, Jan. 9, 1849; D.D. Union; came to Troy, N.Y., as a blacksmith when 16; began to preach at 21; ministered in very many towns and cities; at Albany, 1840. One of the leaders of the Methodist church in this vicinity in his time.

Robert LEWIS kept the most popular tavern in his day, cor. of what is now So. Pearl and State St.; d. June 17, 1798; succeeded by his son, Stewart. It was the resort of the leading citizens, and of all distinguished visitors of that day.

John LOVETT, b. Conn.; gr. Yale, 1782; attempted a school in Albany soon after; read law; resided as tutor and land agent at Ft. Miller; then at Lansingburgh; member of Assembly, 1800-1-7; returned to Albany in 1812; was on the staff of Gen. Van Rensselaer; member of 13th Congress; afterwards went to Ohio; was interested in the first steamboat on Lake Erie; d. Ft. Meigs, Ohio, Aug., 1818.

Addison LOW, b. Shrewsbury, Vt., Nov. 21, 1809; d. Albany, Aug. 1, 1883. Came here in 1822; father carried on furnace and machinery business. In 1865 he was appointed, by Prest. Johnson, local inspector of steamboats; subsequently supervising inspector of steamers in the waters from Cape May to Portland, Me., including Philadelphia, New York and Boston. He aided in the construction of the present laws in regard to steamboats. Resigned in 1879, and afterwards acted as consulting mechanical engineer and designer of engines.
        W. G. Low and W. H. Low are his brothers, and William, the artist, is a son.
        His daughter Mary is wie of Judge DANAHER.

Jonathan LYMAN, b. Derby, Conn., June 7, 1786; d. Schodack Landing, N.Y., Dec. 5, 1856; came to Albany 1815; architect and builder; superintended building old City Hall, old State House, and Female Academy; was a man of sterling qualities of mind and heart.
        His son, Charles R. Lyman, b. Albany 1818; assistant city surveyor; flour merchant.
        Mary Augusta, teacher in Female Academy, is a granddaughter.

Henry Strong McCALL, b. Lebanon, Conn., Feb. 14, 1819; gr. Yake 1842. Came to Albany as principal of Boys' Collegiate Institute, located on Broadway, and taught and read law until 1847, when he was admitted to the bar. He has ever since resided and practiced law in this city; was county Superintendent of Schools in 1847, and has been actively identified with the advancement of the public schools of this city. Was city Attorney from 1854 to 1856. He was active in founding the Congregational Church in 1850, and has always been the clerk and held other offices in it.
        In 1851, he published, "Notes to the N.Y. Civil Procedure," which has had 3 editions; in 1860 "the Clerks' Assistant," which has reached 3 editions; in 1862, "The Constable's Guide," of which 3 editions have been issued; in 1865, the "New York Civil and Criminal Justice," of which the 5th edition has been published; and in 1883, a work of 400 pp, on "Real Property." "His writings are used by a larger number of lawyers than those of any author engaged in the active duties of the profession." (transcriber's note: unfortuantely, whenever something in quotes is included in these sketches, the author fails to note where it originated.)
        He has been, since 1879, a lecturer in the Albany Law school. As an upright, sound, clear headed lawyer, he has no superior.
        Henry S. McCall Jr., lawyer, is a son.

Stuart McKISSICK, b. Saco, Me., Nov. 27, 1807; d. Albany, Aug. 28, 1882; came to this State in 1816; a long time engaged in the transportation and commission business in Onondaga Co., and in Troy and Albany; later, dealer in flour and produce; held important business trusts here in banking and mercantile organizations, and as a member of the school board, and of the Presbyterian Church.

Elisha MACK, b. Middlefield, Mass., Sept. 26, 1784; d. Albany, Nov. 24, 1854; general merchandise; a very worthy man.
        Elisha MACK, son of Elisha, b. Windsor, Mass., Feb. 7, 1811; came to Albany 1816; clerk for his father; police officer from 1838, about 30 years, when Loveridge, Kane and Cole were police justices; and was always regarded as a remarkably skillful detective of crime, and a most reliable man in many positions in which he was placed. Many very dark and important cases were brought to light by him, in the interest of justice and public order.

Elisha L. MAGOON, b. Lebanon, N.H., Oct. 20, 1810; early a brick layer; ord. Baptist preacher 1840; preached as pastor in Richmond, Va., Cincinnati, New York and Philadelphia; settled in Albany as pastor 1st Baptist ch. 1857. His ministry is one of power; his public influence decided for every good work. Has published "Orators of American Revolution," and several other works bearing on eloquence, religion and patriotism.

Alden MARCH, b. Sutton, Mass., Sept., 1795; d. Albany, June 17, 1869; gr. Brown Med. School, 1820; began pratice in Albany, 1820; in 1821 began a private school of medicine and surgery, which he continued until the Albany Med. Coll. was founded in 1839. Of this, and of the Albany Hospital, he was one of the founders, and the recognized head as long as he lived. He was a quick and skillful surgeon, and made many important improvements. He devoted himself to his profession, and was regarded as unsurpassed in surgery in this country. As an example of his zeal, he selected and took from Boston in a wagon his anatomical illustrations for his private school. At this time there were only one hospital and two medical schools in the State. The admirable system of college clinics is due to him. As a citizen, he had all the elements of a public-spirited, Christian manhood.
        Henry, M.D., Albany, is his son.

Five brothers, born in Lyme, Conn. - Uriah, John, William, Alexander and Richard MARVIN, - came here about the year 1800; and three of them carried on in partnership, with some changes, the grocery business for more than 40 years, with great success. They were William, who retired in 1828, and d. New London, Conn. May 19, 1849, aged 74; John, who retired in 1822, a d. Albany, May 8, 1853; and Alexander, who retired in 1842, and d. Albany, Sept. 1, 1864, in his 80th year.

Thomas MATHER came from Lyme, Conn., and opened a store early in the present century; later had a mill on Wynantskill, and dealt in flour and grain; and finally carried on business with the West Indies, from Middletown, Conn., where he died at an advanced age, about 1850. He was one of the first directors of the New York State Bank.
        Elias and Samuel, also merchants in Albany, were his brothers, and the present enterprising and successful mercantile firm members of Mather Bros. are grandsons.

Arthur D. MAYO, b. Warwick, Mass., Jan. 31, 1823; studied at Amherst, and with Dr. H. Ballou; preached in Gloucester, Mass., Cleveland and Cincinnati, O., and Springfield, Mass. In 1855, came to Albany, as pastor of Unitarian Society. He is a fine writer, and has published several interesting addresses and other writings. His educational papers are pointed and valuable.

William L. MARCY, b. Southbridge, Mass., Dec. 12, 1786; d. Ballston, N.Y., July 4, 1857; gr. Brown, 1808; taught school; studied law; practiced in Troy; distinguished himself in the war of 1812; Adj. Gen. 1821; State Comptroller 1823; Judge of Supreme Court 1829; U.S. Senator, 1831; Governor of New York 1853-7. He resided in Albany many years, as a public officer and valued citizen. He was a scholar, a statesman, a writer, and a diplomatist of remarkable ability. Simple in his habits, a hard worker and a faithful man, eminently useful to his country and his kind. His grave is in the Rural Cemetery.

Nathaniel C. MOAK, descended from the Clevelands of Woburn, Mass.; b. Schoharie Co., Oct. 3, 1833; studied law; admitted to practice 1856; has practiced in Cherry Valley and Oneonta; came to Albany in 1867; Dist. Atty. in 1872; has been engaged in many important criminal trials; is a great worker and student; has a library valued at $50,000; is much engaged in editing law works; has already published some thirty volumes.

Joel MUNSELL, b. Northfield, Mass., April 14, 1808; d. Albany, Jan. 15, 1880. Came to Albany as a printer in 1827. He was a remarkably busy man; a first-class printer; a patient and judicious compiler and editor, with exceeding fondness for American history and antiquities. For the preservation, by the printer's art, of local and documentary history, all American historians will always be indebted to him. He published and edited the New York State Mechanic, The Unionist, Albany State Register, Statesman and Morning Express; also Albany Annals, 19 vols.; Historical Collections, 4 vols.' "History of Printing," "Paper and Paper Making," "Historical Papers," 10 vols.; and numberous smaller works.
        His invaluable aid by counsel, annotations and type work has contributed greatly to the literary merit and mechanical beauty of many works in genealogy, antiquities, biograph and history bearing his imprint. For many years he was a leading spirit in the Albany Institute.

Blind Counter