Our county and its people:
a descriptive and biographical record of Madison County, New York
Boston History Co.
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
JONATHAN D. LEDYARD
Jonathan Denise Ledyard was born at Middletown Point, in the State of New Jersey, on the 10th day of June, 1793, and died in Cazenovia on the 7th day of January, 1874.
His father, Benjamin Ledyard, a native of Groton, in the State of Connecticut, was a near relative of John Ledyard, the distinguished traveler, as well as of Col. Ledyard, who was treacherously slain in the Revolutionary war, after a gallant defense of Fort Griswold. Benjamin Ledyard himself served with credit as a major during the same struggle, being present at the battles of Monmouth, White Plains and others, and after the war settled in Middletown Point, being engaged, however, in business in the city of New York as a hardware merchant.
In 1794, having been appointed by Gov. George Clinton to the county clerkship of the newly-erected county of Onondaga, then embracing a large portion of western New York, he removed his family, consisting of his wife, eight children and numberous negroes, to Aurora, on the shore of Cayuga Lake, making the journey from New York to Albany in a sloop, thence by wagon to Schenectady, there taking Durham boats or batteaux on the Mohawk, and through Wood Creek, Oneida Lake, the Seneca River and Cayuga lake to his destination, where a log house, erectred upon the bank of the lake, was ready to receive him.
At the tavern at Fort Schuyler, kept of John Post, the party were met by Peter Smith and James S. Kip, and the former took the family to his house, Mr. Kip carrying the baby, then ten months old, up the hill, and finding him no light burden.
The mother of Jonathan D. Ledyard was Catherine Forman, a sister of General Jonathan Forman, also of Revolutionary memory, who died in Cazenovia soon after the beginning of the present century, and whose tombstone is perhaps the oldest in the village cemetery, and also of Maj. Samuel S. Forman, after residing here many years, removed to Syracuse, where he died a few years since at a very advanced age.
The subject of this sketch, upon the death of his mother, which occurred about 1798, became a member of the family of his brother-in-law, the late Col. Lincklaen, and since that time has been a resident of Cazenovia, and, for many years past, its most conspicuous citizen.
At a very early age he was sent to a family school at Albany, then kept by the celebrated Dr. Nott, and was afterward place in a school at Whitesboro, under the charge of Dr. Halsey. He then attended the grammar school of Union College, after which he followed the regular course at that institution, under the presidency of his old preceptor, Dr. Nott, graduating in 1812. He pursued the study of law in the offices of Childs & Stebbins of Cazenovia, and of General Kirkland of Utica, and was admitted to the bar in 1815.
He never, however, engaged in the active practice of his profession, but soon after arriving at his majority entered the land office of Col. Lincklaen, the agent of, and, in a small share, proprietor in the Holland Land Company in Cavenovia. He was soon associated with Col. Lincklaen in the agency, and afterward, in connection with him, purchased the interest of the company in the unsold lands and debts of the establishment. The increasing infirmities of Col. Lincklaen, followed by his lamented death in 1822, cast upon Mr. Ledyard, then a very young man, the burden of the entire property, consisting of about 150,000 acres of land, lying in the counties of Madison and Chenango.
The depressing effect of the war of 1812 upon the commercial interests of the country, the severity of several untoward seasons, and the opening of the western country to settlement, in consequence of the projection and construction of the Erie Canal, made his task a very heavy one. By great energy, untiring industry and strick probity he succeeded in meeting his obligations to the company in such a manner as to leave a moderate competence for himself and his family. He at once perceived that a coercive policy would result, not only in the ruin of many settlers upon the tract, but would, in the end, retard growth of the country, by driving them to settle the better but more distant lands of the new States. Accordingly, he forebore, encouraged, assisted, sometimes threatened, but rarely prosecuted, until, in 1844, he was enabled, from the payments made to him, to discharge the last installment of the very large debt to the company, incurred upon the purchase of the property, and received a conveyance of the lands not previously deeded. He made himself acquainted with the character, habits, and the business and family relations of his clientage, many of whom owe their prosperity, in large measure, to his judicial counsel, his gentle reproof, or his warm words of encouragement. He was regarded by the people upon his tract more as their friend and adviser than as their creditor, and there were few who did not look forward to a business visit with him with the pleasurable anticipation with which one expects to meet a valued friend. For half a century his name has been a household word in hundreds of homes, and his character, manners and sayings discussed at their firesides and always with feelings of affection and reverence. Of many hundreds of purchasers of land from him there are very few with whom he ever had any dispute, and almost none with whom he ever had any litigation.
From his earliest manhood he was largely interested in improving the thoroughfares of the country. He succeeded Col. Lincklaen as president of the Third Great Western Turnpike Co., a work which was complete in 1810 at the cost of $90,000, a colassal sum for those days, and, until its dissolution, superintended its affairs with great care and faithfulness. In connection with his son, Ledyard Lincklean, he was largely instrumental in the construction of the plank road from Cazenovia to Chittenango, and he took a warm interest in the completion of the railroad from here to Cazenovia.
He was largely interested in agricultural pursuits, and was the first president of the Madison County Agricultural Society, formed in 1841, and many persons now living will remember with what zeal and efficiency he executed the functions of that position.
In early life, like most young men of that day, he entered the militia of the State, then, in consequence of its meritorious service during the war of 1812, an organization of great influence and standing. At the annual musters he was brought in close contact with the leading men of this and the adjoining counties, and formed many strong and life-long attachments. He took great pride in discharging the duties belonging to his several commissions, and rose to the rank of brigadier-general resigning his commission in 1828.
But it was not in his business and public relations that Mr. Ledyard's character was best exhibited. His local and personal attachments were unusually strong, and it is for his personal traits that he will be longest remembered in the community.
Occupying the conspicuous position in the village which he greatly loved, he fairly discharged the obligations connected with his station. He was ever foremost in the support of every project calculated to promote or to enhance the beauty of the place. Indeed, it may be well said of him, "Si monumentum quaeris, circumspice," for there has been scarcely an improvement made in or near the village which does not owe its origin to his forethought, assistance, influence or example.
In every charitable enterprise he was always counted upon as a certain and liberal contributor, and his heart and purse were ever open to the call of every worthy applicant.
Simple in his personal habits, and unostentatious in his mode of life, he eve exercised a generous hospitality, and, for the last half century, his mansion has not been a day without a fire on its hearth or a hospitable host to welcome a neighbor or a passing traveler within its doors.
His mental and moral qualities were such as to attach to him the warm affection of those with whom he was brought in immediate contact. His kind heart went out to his kinfolk and friends with a wealth of affection which secured a corresponding return. Gentle in his manners, sympathizing in his emotions, magnanimous in his feelings, just in his dealings and frank in his bearing, he possessed in an extraordinary degree, the affection of his family and friends, which in the latter years of his life ripened into a loving veneration.
Descendants of Jonathan Denise Ledyard, and Jane Strawbridge, his wife.
Lincklaen Ledyard (name reversed by Act of Legislature, 30 March, 1844, to Ledyard Lincklaen), married Helen C. Seymour (only child, Helen, wife of Charles S. Fairchild).
John Denise Ledyard, married Elizabeth Fitz-Hugh (no children survived them).
George Strawbridge Ledyard, married Anne Fitz-Hugh. Children: John Denise, Richard Fitz-Hugh, Jane, wife of Eliphalet Remington; Mary Fitz-Hugh, Helen Seymour, Wolters (of whom the first two are no longer living).
Helen, married John F. Seymour; no descendants.
L. Wolters, married Elizabeth Vail; only one daughter, Murray.
The name of this native Hollander stands prominent among those of the distinguished men who opened the lands of the Empire State to settlement and promoted the welfare of the pioneers. John Lincklaen was born in Amsterdam, Holland, on December 24, 1768. His early years were passed in Switzerland where he received education from a private tutor. At the age of fourteen years he entered the navy of Holland, remaining in the service several years and receiving promotion to the rank of lieutenant. During this period of service he was called upon to travel extensively in Europe and Asia, and visited Ceylon and Smyrna. In 1790, at the age of twenty-two years, he came to America in the interest of Peter Stadnitzki, one of the members of the great syndicate known as the Holland Land Company. Bearing letters of introduction to Theophilus Cazenove, then of Philadelphia, Mr. Lincklaen arrived in that city in due time and there completed arrangements for a journey of exploration into the wilderness of central. New York. In the month of September, 1792, he started, in company with two experienced woodsmen, and journeyed northwards towards the Chenango Twenty Towns, contemplating the purchase of one or more of them. His journal kept on that journey is in existence and is of deep interest. He reached the east line of the Gore on the 8th of October, carefully investigated its natural advantages, and on the 11th of that month, as he recorded, he encamped at the foot of Cazenovia lake. After thoroughly exploring the surrounding region, he reported to Mr. Stadnitzki, the result of which was the purchase by the Holland Company of Road Township and No. 1 of the Twenty Towns, comprising in all about 130,000 acres. Mr. Lincklaen was appointed agent of the company.
In the winter of 1793 Samuel S. Forman became acquainted in Philadelphia with both Mr. Lincklaen and Mr. Cazenove, and engaged with them to come into the new purchase, on the site of Cazenovia village and act as clerk in the conduct of the company's store. The story of his early experiences in that capacity has been told in this work. Mr. Forman met Mr. Lincklaen by appointment in New York in April, 1793, where a large stock of goods was purchased and brought on to Utica, whence instalments were transported to Cazenovia. Mr. Lincklaen came on with a number of settlers, as elsewhere related. On the afternoon of the 8th of May the little company encamped at the south end of the lake, where tents were pitched and steps taken for the building of houses. Mr. Lincklaen entered with energy and efficiency upon the sale of the lands, and so liberal were the arrangements for payment made by him, that settlers came in rapidly. Roads were laid out, bridges built, mills erected and by his zealous activity, unfailing good judgment, and unceasing labor he was soon surrounded by a prosperous community of which he was the founder. His service as agent of the land company continued for a number of years, during all of which period he was esteemed for his liberality, his integrity, and his ability.
Mr. Lincklaen was also associated during one period with the Holland company in their ownership of the great purchase in the western part of the State. Through his native qualifications, his habits of ac-curate observation, and his extensive reading, he acquired a large fund of information and was always especially conversant with the current affairs of the world. His tastes were scholarly and refined and his demeanor and social conduct that of the courteous gentleman. His stately brick mansion overlooking the lake, built in the first decade of the century, and now the home of Charles S. Fairchild, was noted for its generous hospitality.
Mr. Lincklaen married a sister of Jonathan Denise Ledyard in 1797, and to his brother-in-law the land business passed in course of time. Mr. Lincklaen was a consistent and broad minded Christian. For some years he leaned towards the Unitarian faith, in which several of his intimate friends were believers; but later in life he was led to adopt the Trinitarian belief, to which he adhered until his death. He was fore-most among the founders of the old church in Cazenovia.
In 1820 Mr. Lincklaen was stricken by paralysis, and he died on the 9th of February, 1822, at the - comparatively early age of fifty-four years, leaving no descendants.
ELISHA PAYNE was a lineal descendant of one of three brothers by the name of Payne, who settled in Plymouth as early as 1621, and who were forced to leave England for the same cause that drove the Pilgrims to find a home in the New World. He was born in North East, Dutchess county, N. Y., December 3, 1762. His parents, Abram and Rebecca Payne, were natives of Connecticut. The former was born in 1722, and died in Hamilton, April 21, 1801, in his eightieth year. The latter died in the same place December 25, 1810, aged eighty-six years. They settled in Dutchess county about 1760. They had four sons and four daughters. Elisha was the youngest of the children and the only one that left issue. In consequence of the misfortune that befel their parents in the loss of their property, Elisha and Samuel cared for and supported them until they died. Elisha had but few advantages for an education, such only as were afforded by the common schools of his town, but his habits were studious and he was fond of reading. Every good book that he was able to get he read carefully, and so stored his mind with valuable information that enabled him to competently discharge the duties of the various offices of trust and responsibility that were confided to him by his townsmen and those in authority in after years.
On the 17th of September, 1787, he was married to Polly Brooks, a native of Essex, Conn. She was born January 12, 1766, and died May 4, 1796. By her he had four children, three sons and one daughter, viz.: Abram, John, Samuel and Mary.
August 17, 1797, he married Esther Douglass, daughter of Rev. Caleb Douglass of Whitestown, one of the pioneers of that section, and a descendant of the Douglass family of Scotland. Esther was born July 25, 1778, and died at Hamilton September 12, 1853. By her he had fourteen children, twelve sons and two daughters, two of whom died in infancy. The names of those that grew to maturity are here given in the order of their birth: Elijah, Elisha, Mansfield, Joseph, Nelson, Charles C., Thomas, Maria, Henry B., William, Esther and Edwin.
In 1794 Samuel Payne settled in the dense forest near what is now the south line of the village of Hamilton. Elisha came in the next year and bought lot No. 2, on which more than half of the village of Hamilton is situated. The name of Payne Settlement was given to this locality, and a few years thereafter Elisha changed it to Hamilton, in honor of one he greatly admired, Alexander Hamilton.
Elisha built a rude log cabin near, in which he lived a short time, but the influx of New England people who came as actual settlers, or with a view to settlement, demanded a larger and more commodious building in which they could find a temporary home. Accordingly, Mr. Payne built a large frame house, which he kept as a tavern for several years, and until another building was put up for that purpose in 1812. Mr. Payne was anxious that a village of importance should be built up here, and as an inducement to mechanics and others whose presence would help to bring about that result, he gave them land and helped them build their homes on the same. He gave the land for the park that now greatly beautifies the village, and the same was used many years by the militia of the adjoining towns as a parade ground. Mr. Payne thoroughly identified himself with every enterprise that seemed to him. would be of permanent benefit to Hamilton. He invested largely of his means in the construction of a turnpike from Cherry Valley through Hamilton to Skaneateles, the successful completion of which was mainly due to his influence. He was the friend of education, and was one of the few who were instrumental in establishing an academy, which flourished here many years. It was owing to his influence and his great success in securing subscriptions to the Society that the Seminary was finally located at Hamilton.
In politics Mr. Payne was a Federalist, and afterwards a Whig, and always took a great interest in his party's success. He was one of the first judges of the Court of Common Pleas, appointed by Morgan Lewis, governor, March 31, 1806, and held that office about nine years.
In the early years of his residence here the people bestowed on him several offices of trust and honor, but in the closing years of his life he declined all offices of a public nature. Mr. Payne was devoted to the cause of Christianity. He was one of the founders of the Baptist Church in Hamilton and one of its earnest supporters, and assisted in building three churches in Hamilton. In his domestic life Mr. Payne was a kind husband and loving father, teaching his children by his up-right life the value and importance of virtue, and inspiring them with the worthy ambition to be men and women in the loftiest sense of the word. His teachings were not forgotten, but are fully exemplified in the lives of his children.
Elisha Payne died February 4, 1843.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN CHAPMAN
Well known during all of his mature life as a successful attorney and a public spirited citizen of the old town of Lenox, was born at Clockville, March 24, 1817. He was a son of Col. Stephen Chapman, the Clockville pioneer, and his wife, Keturah Palmer, who was a native of Stonington, Conn. The family migrated to Madison county in 1812: Stephen Chapman was a mechanic, but being a ready speaker and making himself familiar with the common forms of law, he was early employed in the trial of minor cases in the community and finally studied law in the office of Israel S. Spencer. He was an influential citizen of the town and secured the establishment of the first post-office at Clockville in 1814, in which he was postmaster from that year until 1847, with only a brief interval.
Benjamin F. Chapman was endowed by nature with marked characteristics and on the death of his brother Stephen in 1831, who had already been admitted to the bar, his father decided that he should study law. He entered Stockbridge academy in 1834 and the next spring began attendance at the Hudson River seminary, where he showed remarkable aptitude for mathematics. In the fall of 1835 he began the study of languages in Fayetteville academy, remaining there until he entered Hamilton college in August, 1836, graduating in 1839. He was a ready speaker and the prize orator in his junior year. Upon his graduation he was one of the honor speakers, delivering the philosophical oration. Entering his father's office he pursued law study until his admission to the bar in 1841 and subsequently to practice in all the courts. In the course of his educational career he became a skilled surveyor and was engaged in that profession to a considerable extent. He was also a popular lecturer, and took an active part in local politics, holding a number of town offices, and was also district attorney for the county.
Mr. Chapman married in 1841 Huldah Wilcox, and was father of three children. In 1880 he took up his residence in Oneida, and died May 29, 1892.
PERRY G. CHILDS
PERRY G. CHILDS, one of the early settlers and long a prominent citizen of Cazenovia village, was born in Pittsfield, Mass., in 1779. He was a son of Dr. Timothy and Rachel Easton Childs, and married in 1807, Catharine Ledyard, daughter of Benjamin Ledyard, of Aurora, N. Y. Mr. Childs received a liberal education and early in his life took up the study of law and was in due time admitted to the bar. He was possessed of exceptional intellectual attributes, as well as a high sense of personal honor and integrity, and soon after his settlement in Cazenovia became a successful practitioner and one of the foremost men of the town in respect of its public affairs. When the, village was incorporated in 1810 he was chosen one of the first board of trustees, and his name appears in the tax list of 1811 as owner of property valued at $1,500. More than eighty years ago he built the fine old residence in Cazenovia which is now occupied by Mrs. John Stebbins, who is his granddaughter. Mr. Childs was called to fill various positions of responsibility, for which his excellent judgment, wise foresight, and conservative consideration eminently fitted him. When the old Madison County Bank began business on the 1st of January, 1832, Mr. Childs was chosen its president, a position which he occupied many years to the entire satisfaction of all who were interested in the institution. Mr. Childs died in 1835 while still at the height of his mental and bodily powers. His wife died in 1849. They left seven children, as follows: Catharine Rachel, who married Augustus W. Smith; Helen, who married Sidney T. Fairchild, father of Charles S. Fairchild; Henry, who died in 1837; Sophia Ledyard, who married Rev. George S. Boardman; Perry G. Childs, jr., who died in California in 1893; Jane S., who married K. N. Guiteau and resides in Minnesota; and J. D. Ledyard Childs, who died in 1858.
C. WILL CHAPPELL
C. WILL CHAPPELL was born in Cazenovia, Madison county, April 5, 1845, a son of Chester L. and Sarah M. (Jackson) Chappell. His grandfather was one of the earlier settlers of Cazenovia whither he removed from Andovor, Mass. Mr. Chappell was educated at Cazenovia Seminary but began active life at the early age of fourteen as a clerk in Charles. Crandall's Cazenovia bookstore. In this business he was subsequently associated with William Watkins under the firm name of Chappell & Watkins for about one year. At the end of that period Mr. Chappell took a position with a New York publishing house whose output was principally school text books, and remained in their employ as a traveling salesman until 1869. In that year he went West, locating in Atchison, Kansas, where for a few months he held a partnership in a book and stationery business. Returning East in January, 1870, he settled in Oneida where he has since resided. On his arrival here he engaged in a clothing business in the opera house block on Main street (Chase & Chappell). This business was continued until 1879. In 1877 the firm of Chappell, Tuttle & Co. purchased the business of E. W. Jones who, some years previously, had established a business in Oneida as a dealer and jobber in undertakers' supplies. Chappell, Tuttle & Co. continued this trade for two years and in 1879 purchased the business of Maxwell, McWeeney & Co. of Rochester, Mr. Maxwell retaining his interest and the firm becoming Chappell, Chase, Maxwell & Co. This firm, which became known as one of the largest in this country, began the manufacture of caskets and under-takers' supplies at Oneida September 1, 1879. The jobbing house in Rochester was continued for some years, and in 1882 a branch was established at New York city. In 1890, by the consolidation of the three largest and most prominent casket houses in the United States, namely, Chappell, Chase, Maxwell & Co., Hamilton, Lemon, Arnold & Co., and the Stein Manufacturing Co. of Rochester, the National Casket Company was formed with a capital stock of $3,000,000, which was after-wards increased to $6,000,000. Mr. Chappell was made first vice-president of the corporation, and general manager of these large interests, a position he still retains. Some idea of the proportions of this business may be gained from the fact that it gives employment to from 1,500 to 2,000 skilled mechanics, as well as a large force of clerks and salesmen, and that customers are found in every State in the Union. At the Oneida plant are from 250 to 300 employees with a yearly output of about 30,000 caskets. In addition to the cares which are involved in the management of a business of this scope, Mr. Chappell, who has been a busy man all his life, has been interested as a stockholder or director in most of the manufacturing enterprises of Oneida. He has served as a director of the Oneida Valley National Bank, and for several years as trustee of the Oneida Savings Bank of which he is now president.
As a citizen he has shown no lack of zeal in promoting the welfare of this village, and was especially active in forwarding the high school project. He was also interested in the inception of the Warner Water Works, and was one of the incorporators of the street railroad. Mr. Chappell has served for upwards of twenty years as superintendent of the Sunday school of the Cochran Memorial Presbyterian church, of which he is also a trustee. The Chappell residence on Elizabeth street, which is an ornament to the village, was built by Mr. Chappell in 1886, and in 1896 he further beautified the grounds by .the addition of a park on the site of the old Seminary buildings which he had purchased and demolished. Mr. Chappell is a Mason of the thirty-second degree, holding membership in Doric Chapter of Oneida, and Central City Commandery, and Syracuse Consistory of Syracuse. He has served as president of the National Burial Case Association, and is now president of the Eastern Burial Case Association. For a period of four years he acted as trustee of Cazenovia Seminary. Politically he is a Democrat, and has frequently served as a delegate to county and State conventions; he was an active supporter of Cleveland in 1884 and 1888, and in those years campaigned the county. After the Chicago convention of 1896 he took a stand with the sound money Democrats and at once organized a sound money club in Oneida, the second in this State, the first having been formed by the late Roswell P. Flower. Mr. Chappell has found much recreation in travel, and has visited at different periods old Mexico, Bermuda, and the West Indies. In 1896 he made a Mediterranean trip, his itinerary including the Holy Land, Egypt, Greece, and Turkey. He first married in 1869, Emily, daughter of Lewis S. Bridger of Oneida Castle.          In 1874 he married Mary E., daughter of Calvin Wells of Oneida Castle.
S. ALLEN CURTIS
Among the pioneers of the town of Madison who came into the county just before the beginning of the present century, were members of the Curtis family, whose settlement has been noticed in the history of that town. From one of these is descended S. Allen Curtis, a lifelong and respeted citizen of Madison. He was born at Erieville December 24, 1846, and is a son of Allen Curtis, who still lives in the town, where he was born September 11, 1811, a son of the pioneer. Allen Curtis is now serving his fiftieth year as Justice of the Peace, at the age of eighty-nine - an official record which for length of duration, cannot be equaled in the State. During his long life in Madison he has been closely identified with its growth and progress and his influence has ever been exerted for the welfare of the community.
S. Allen Curtis remained on the home farm until he was twenty-four years old, when he was appointed station agent on the railroad at Solsville, and where he also established a coal business. Eight years later, in 1879, he received the appointment of keeper at the county poor farm, in which capacity he served four and a half years, when he resigned to engage in the coal business at Eaton station, as a member of the firer of Bonney & Curtis. In 1886 he was elected Superintendent of the Poor of Madison county and four times has been re-elected to this office. He is regarded throughout the county as a prudent and competent public officer, under whose care the unfortunate poor are comfortably maintained and the interests of the county carefully guarded. Mr. Curtis is a staunch Republican and wields a wholesome influence in the local councils of that party.
On November 28, 1878, Mr. Curtis was married to Gertie M. Bridge, of Madison. Two children have been born to them—M. Ethel, aged fourteen years, and Elma, aged thirteen years.
EDWARD F. HASKELL
Edward Frost Haskell, who died in Oneida November 2, 1892, in the thirty-ninth year of his age, was an honored member of the Madison County Bar, and a man who, although in the prime of life when he died, had already made a wide reputation. He was born at Orange, N. J., October 21, 1853, a son of Llewellyn and Marianna (Frost) Haskell. His father, a New York merchant of large interests, resided at Orange, and was the owner and founder of Llewellyn Park in that place, where he was an esteemed and prominent citizen. The people of Orange have honored his memory by placing his bust (by Powers) at the entrance of Llewellyn Park. His mother was a native of Charleston, N. C., and came of the old Southern family of Frost; her great grandfather was the first Governor of South Carolina. Mr. Haskell was prepared for college at Fort Edward Collegiate Institute, and entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. He began the study of law in the office of Hon. John E. Smith of Morrisville, and was admitted to the bar in 1887. Following his admission he formed a partnership with Judge Smith which continued five years, or until Mr. Haskell's election to the State Legislature in 1883. During their association Mr. Haskell acted as assistant district attorney, Mr. Smith being then the prosecuting officer. Mr. Haskell served two consecutive years in the Assembly, and was chairman of the Committee on Railroads, being perhaps the youngest man who has held that position. He was a man of brilliant ability and wide attainments, and possessed social qualities which gained for him many warm friends. After his retirement from the Legislature he settled in Oneida where he enjoyed a large and lucrative practice uutil his untimely death. He was a member and for some years vestryman of St. John's Episcopal Church; he was also a Knight Templar Mason.
Mr. Haskell married in 1873, Mary E. Howe, daughter of Henry Clinton Howe, for nearly forty years a woolen manufacturer in Madison county. Three children were born to them: Edna Rutledge, Florence, and Edward Llewellyn.
VERY REVEREND JAMES A. KELLEY
Very Reverend James A. Kelley, dean of this Diocese, and pastor of St. Patrick's Church in Oneida for nearly fourteen years, was born at Waterloo, N. Y., September 15, 1850. He received the rudiments of his education in the public and select schools of Syracuse, N. Y., and having completed the course at Niagara College, entered St. John's Jesuit College at Fordham, N. Y., where he took the usual course and graduated as Medal Man, the first of his class. He was ordained to the priesthood at the Seminary at Troy, N. Y., May 30, 1874, and was immediately delegated by his bishop to perform the duties of his sacred calling as pastor in the Adirondack region of Northern New York, where he labored about seven and one-half years in the erectk n of churches, five of which he brought to completion. Later he was transferred to the pastorate of St. Mary's Church at Baldwinsville, N. Y., and remained there four years and a half, during which time he re-modeled and enlarged the church edifice, and was prominent in numerous works for the general welfare and advancement of his congregation. He came to Oneida in 1886 and his indefatigable labor here in the building up of his parish speaks for itself ; he believes in work rather than words. Known of all men, he is daily accomplishing work that will stand as an honor to the village, a pride to all its citizens, a beacon light of religious zeal and generosity, and a monument to Catholicity that will live in testimony of its founder and his people for generations to come. To his energy is largely due the erection of the new St. Patrick's. On May 30th, 1899, Father Kelley celebrated his twenty-fifth anniversary, his silver jubilee. His parish extends twelve miles south, eight miles north, and five miles east and west of Oneida village, and numbers about 350 families. The church property includes the handsome new church edifice, dedicated in 1889, the parochial residence, adjoining which was erected in 1897 and is an ornament to the village, and the beautiful parish cemetery of thirty-five acres. The history of the growth and development of the parish is given elsewhere in this volume. At the time of this writing (1899), the tenth anniversary of the dedication of the church is approaching, and in preparation the interior of the edifice is being redecorated, and a pipe organ and three marble altars are now being erected. The work of Father Kelley in this community has not only endeared him to his own people, but has gained for him the confidence and esteem of all.
GEORGE H. ENSIGN
PROPRIETOR OF MAPLE GROVE STOCK FARM
OF the town of Nelson, Madison county, N. Y., was born in that town March 2, 1852. He is a son of Thomas Ensign and Laura, daughter of James and Betsey Bailey. Thomas Ensign was born in Hartford, Conn., October 27, 1812, and is a son of Isaiah and Eunice (Vining) Ensign, who came to this county about 1823 and was soon followed by his family of eight children, named as follows: Louisa, Alma, William, Huldah, Sally, Willis, and two others (Isaiah and Eunice) who died in Simsbury, Conn. Thomas Ensign's children were James, Albert, Anson, Amelia (wife of Minor Anderson), George H. (the subject), and Cornelia.          George H. Ensign was educated in his native town, at the same time sharing in the farm life of the homestead, in which occupation he be-came well know as one of the progressive and successful farmers of the county. In addition to his dairying interests, he has given a large share of his attention to the raising of Holstein cattle, of which he has one of the finest herds in the country. The name of Maple Grove Stock Farm, the homestead, is now widely known and its pure blooded stock finds an extensive sale. Mr. Ensign is a public spirited citizen, has shown an active interest in the advancement of education in his town and in the general welfare of the community, but has not aspired to political honor.
Mr. Ensign married Carrie Louise, daughter of Ralph Ross Wallace, on July 8, 1886. He has four children: Anna Laura, Charles Sidney, Belle Elizabeth and Wendall George.
GERRIT A. FORBES
Gerrit A. Forbes, justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, was born May 30, 1836, near Clockville, Madison county, a son of Isaac J. and Abigail (Sayles) Forbes. His grandfather was Jacob Forbes, a farmer of the town of Lenox, who reared a family of ten sons and three daughters, of whom Isaac J. was the youngest. He died in Clockville at the age of eighty-six.
The father of Jacob Forbes was a Scotchman, who came to Mohawk valley at the time of its early settlement. The family name, although known as Forbes in Scotland, in the Mohawk valley took the form of Forbush. Isaac J. Forbes, the father of the subject, was born at Clockville, Madison county, and died at La Fayette, Ind., when about fifty years of age. His wife was a daughter of Silas Sayles and a grand-daughter of William Sayles, formerly of Connecticut, who came to this part of the State. Silas Sayles was at one time postmaster at Peterboro. To Isaac J. Forbes and his wife were born eleven children, three sons and eight daughters, of whom Gerrit A. was the sixth in order of birth. The mother of these children died in 1852, at the age of forty-six. She had been a schoolmate of the famous American philanthropist, Gerrit Smith. Only two of her daughters are now living, namely Mary A. H., widow of Daniel King, residing at Syracuse, N. Y., and Harriet T., widow of Darius Johnson, Canastota, N. Y.
Judge Forbes was reared a farmer boy and received a common school education. In 1860, feeling a strong inclination toward the legal profession, he began the study of law with the Hon. B. F. Chapman of Clockville, was admitted to the bar May 13, 1863, and became the law partner of Judge Chapman August 1, 1863. From January 1, 1871, to January 1, 1874, he occupied the office of district attorney for Madison county and was elected to the office of Justice of the Supreme Court in November, 1887.
July 10, 1862, Mr. Forbes married Ellen Brooks of Clockville, N. Y., daughter of Colon and Matilda (Hills) Brooks. She is the mother of two children, Maude I., wife of Daniel Fiske Kellogg, city editor of the New York Sun, and Claude L., a graduate of Yale University, attorney at law, Syracuse, N. Y. Mrs. Kellogg is a graduate of the Canastota Academy and her husband of Amherst College. He was valedictorian of the class of 1881; they have one son, Daniel Fiske Kellogg, jr.
Judge Forbes has practiced law in Canastota since 1868, where he settled in 1873. In 1884 he became the head of the law firm of Forbes, Brown & Tracy at Syracuse, N. Y., having taken the place of the Hon. George N. Kennedy in the firm of Kennedy & Tracy. Mr. Brown was of the old law firm of Pratt, Mitchell & Brown. Mr. Pratt was justice of the Supreme Court and attorney-general of the State. Judge Kennedy was retired by age from the Supreme Court bench January 1, 1893.
Judge Forbes is a Republican and in fraternal matters is a Mason and an Odd Fellow. He was president of the Board of Education of Canastota for twelve years, and has been prominently connected with all public enterprises and all movements having for their aim the material prosperity and moral advancement in the community in which he lives.
W. JEROME HICKOX
W. Jerome Hickox, who died at his home in Oneida Castle, March 4, 1894, in the fifty-fifth year of his age, was one of Oneida's most valued and influential citizens. He was born in Syracuse, N. Y., October 24, 1839, and until he reached young manhood resided in that city. He then located in New York where he was engaged for several years in a commission business. Previously he had been for a considerable period in the employ of the Syracuse and Oswego Freight Company. In 1873 he located in Oneida, and two years later at Oneida Castle, where he resided until his death. Mr. Hickox was identified with most of the leading business enterprises of this community; he built the handsome block on Madison Square which is an ornament to the village of Oneida; was a director of the Oneida Valley Bank, the Oneida Savings Bank, and in numerous local corporations from which he withdrew finally on account of increasing business cares. He was a large holder of real estate in and about Oneida; a man of great public spirit he showed no lack of zeal in promoting the welfare of the village and will be remembered as an exemplary citizen; he did much to beautify the streets and adorn the parks of the village. Mr. Hickox was a man of sterling integrity, and excellent executive ability, a genial and whole hearted friend, and possessed of sympathetic qualities of heart and mind which caused his untimely death to be mourned by a wide circle. As a business man he was eminently well fitted to control large interests, being keen of perception and prompt of action. Mr. Hickox possessed a fine physique and was a man of commanding presence and gentlemanly bearing. During the Civil war, he was stationed at City Point, Va., with Colonel Bradley of Syracuse, in the Commissary Department, whom he assisted for some time. Endowed with all those qualities of character which command respect, few citizens of Oneida have attained a more honored name than he.
Mr. Hickox married, June 9, 1875, Florilla, daughter of the late Timothy Jenkins, who survives him.
EDGAR LAKE MILLER, M.D.
This well known physician is a son of Hiram and Susan (Powers) Miller, is the second of their seven children, and was born in Columbus, Chenango county, October 11, 1839. His father was also a native of that town, where he was born in 1808. He was an intelligent farmer and taught school in the winter seasons. He died at Oelwein, Iowa, at the age of eighty years. His father, Drake Miller, was born at Catskill, N. Y., in 1775, and after spending a few years at Sharon Springs he re-moved to Columbus, N. Y., where he cleared a large farm and reared a family of six boys and six girls. Drake Miller's father was Lemuel Miller, a son of Stephen Miller, both of whom passed their lives on the Hudson river. Stephen Miller's father was Johaan Mueller, who came - to this country from Holland and settled on what was then the Tappan Zee, near Tarrytown, on the Hudson river.
Edgar L. Miller was educated in the district schools and in Professor Lamb's select school at West Edmeston, N. Y. Whan he was eighteen years old he taught a school of seventy scholars at Burdick Settlement, Chenango county. At the age of nineteen he went to Iowa, where he worked as clerk in a store at Coytown, Fayette county, and taught school during the years 1859-60. On September 20, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Co. F, 13th Wisconsin Infantry. He served one year when an attack of malaria fever compelled his discharge, in September, 1862, and he returned home. In July, 1863, he again enlisted in Co. D, 15th New York Cavalry, as sergeant, and for "bravery in action" was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and later to First Lieutenant of his company. He was finally mustered out of the service October 1, 1865, after which he took a course in the Bryant & Stratton college at Buffalo, N. Y. He then went to Leavenworth, Kansas, and was en-gaged in insurance business about two years; but in 1869, determining to enter the regular army, he enlisted in the 1st United States Artillery, from which he was soon transferred to the General Service Corps and stationed in the Adjutant-General's office in Detroit. He regularly applied for an army appointment, but owing to his disabilities incurred in previous service he was disqualified; he was, however, retained in the paymaster's department until March 1, 1874. He then came east and settled in Eaton, where he studied medicine with his brother, Dr. H. P. Miller, for one year. He then took a two year course at the Syracuse University and was one year in the Long Island Hospital Medical Colledge, graduating June 21, 1877. Dr. Miller at once began practice at Eaton and is at the present time one of the most widely known and successful physicians of the town. He has been attending physician to the Madison county hospital and insane asylum for twenty-two years.
On October 17, 1875, Dr. Miller married Adelaide White. They have one son, James Edgar Miller, a student in Colgate University.
The subject of this brief memoir from whom the village of Hubbardsville was named, was born in Sunderland, twelve miles from Northampton, Mass., February 16, 1784. He was the son of Jonathan and Hannah (Barnard) Hubbard. But little is known of his boyhood days, except at the age of fourteen he accompanied his parents to what was then Litchfield, Herkimer county, N.Y., and that he learned the shoemaker's trade at Warren, in the same county.
At the last named place he married Susannah Allen, daughter of Amasa and Susannah (Fish) Allen. Her father was born at Petersham, Mass., October 9, 1753, and was a son of Edward and Mary Allen, who were settlers there in 1750. The late Dr. Samuel Allen of Copenhagen, Lewis county, N. Y., for many years agent there of the late Abram Varick, of Utica, and in the war of 1812, of the firm of Allen & Canfield of that place, merchants and contractors for the fleet at Sackett's Harbor, was her brother. She died December 16, 1863, aged seventy-six years, eight months and six days. By her Mr. Hubbard had two children: Emily, born November 4, 1808, and Corydon, born June 5, 1814; the latter died at four years of age, and Emily married Elias K. Hart, of Oneida county, and died September 10, 1853.
In 1808 Mr. Hubbard went to Sherburne, Chenango county, where he remained five years, and in June, 1813, settled on the site of Hubbardsville, where he engaged in farming, distilling and tanning. He was successful in his business and followed it until his final retirement from active life in 1853. He was a man of strong convictions, fearless in expressing them, and of great energy. His integrity was never questioned and he always stood high in the respect of his fellow townsmen. Originally a Whig, he later became an ardent Abolitionist, and was instrumental in aiding many poor slaves to reach a land of freedom. When the Republican party was formed he joined its ranks and was active in promoting its interests. He lived to see the triumph of the Union and the downfall of slavery. Mr. Hubbard died on May 17, 1876, at the age of ninety-two years.
STEPHEN H. FARNAM
Stephen H. Farnam, who died in Oneida, November 17, 1897, in the seventy-fifth year of his age, was for many years a well known and highly esteemed citizen and merchant of this village. He was born in Hartwick, Otsego county, N. Y., May 22, 1822, a son of Noah and Rhoda (Bancroft) Farnam. When quite young he took up his residence in Little Falls, Herkimer county, N . Y., where he was engaged for many years in a manufacturing business, his principal product being axes. At one time his factory was entirely demolished by high water, but he demonstrated his excellent business ability and characteristic energy by at once rebuilding, and few knew or realized the blow his interests had suffered.
Mr. Farnam conducted this factory for some time after his removal to Oneida in the spring of 1862. On his arrival here he bought the hardware business of Saunders & Barnett, forming a copartnership with A. R. Turner. This association continued until 1867 when Mr. Turner was succeeded by Mr. Farnam's son, W. J. Farnam, and the business was conducted under the firm name of S. H. Farnam & Co., until 1890 when Mr. Farnam retired, having gained a competency and well merited rest, for he was essentially a self-made man, and the architect of his own fortunes, having started in life 'at the early age of thirteen years with no capital. During his residence in Oneida he was identified with many prominent local enterprises. At the time of his death he was president of the National State Bank, having been one of the original directors of the old First National Bank. He was also president of the Glenwood Cemetery Association, and to him and T. F. Hand, and the late Hon. George Berry, are the public indebted for one of the handsomest burial grounds in Central New York. He was one of the organizers and first directors of the Oneida Gas Light Company, and served on its board of directors until his death.
Mr. Farnam was a valued citizen, and on every occasion possessed and exhibited the most genial and manly traits of character; he gave earnest and faithful service to many of the town's enterprises, and was generous in his support of all public institutions. He was a regular attendant of the First Presbyterian church, and a member of Oneida Lodge, No. 270, F. & A. M.
Mr. Farnam first married Elizabeth McChesney, and four children were born to them, two of whom survive: W. J. Farnam, and Mrs. James Selkregg. In 1886 he married Sarah Laraway Newkirk of Leeds, N . Y., who survives him.
James Coolidg, of Bouckville, Madison county, was born in Boxborough, Massachusetts, July 23, 1786. He, with his father, James D. Coolidg, came to Madison county in 1806, and settled on a farm near the present village of Bouckville. J. D. Coolidg was the first person who owned a hop yard in the county, and the success and growth of that business dates back to the early period of his settlement. He was a successful farmer and April 11, 1844, owned five hundred acres of land.
James Coolidge, when a youth, assisted his father in all the arduous duties of the farm, and as was too often the case in these early pioneer days, his advantages for securing an education were extremely limited, not being able to attend school more than five or six weeks during the. winter. After his marriage he fitted himself for a surveyor, giving proof of severe application and praiseworthy ambition. In after years he devoted much time to the work of surveyor. Mr. Coolidg, in early life, worked at the carpenter's trade, and was always quite ingenious in the use of carpenters' tools. He served his town in many ways, and gained the respect of all. He was a magistrate twenty-four years. He engaged in farming until about 1860, when he sold his farm and engaged in lighter occupation, until his death.
His first wife, Janet Kendall, was born in 1792, married 1814, died 1816.
Second wife, Sophia Stebbins, born 1798, married 1819, and died January 26, 1832.
Third wife, Sallie Simmons, born 1801, married 1833, and died September 24, 1834.
Fourth wife, Harriett Hazzard, born 1802, married 1834, and died 1838.
Fifth wife, Phoebe Thompkins Lawrence, born 1798, married 1842, and died January 6, 1849.
Sixth wife, Mary Coburn Smith, born 1803, married 1851, and died May 11, 1877.
He had four children, three dying in infancy and one son, Francis Coolidg, born December, 1814, who removed to Kansas.
JOHN E. SMITH
It has been truthfully said that Judge Smith knows personally more people in Madison county than any other resident. He was born in the town of Nelson, and Madison county has been the scene of his boyhood; of the struggles of his young manhood, and of the well earned success of his maturity. His father, James, was a native of Massachusetts and lived several years while a boy at New Lebanon, N.Y. After attaining his majority he purchased fifty acres of woodland in the town of Nelson, built a log house thereon, and cleared a farm to which he gradually added. He had eight children by his first wife and after her death married Susan Tackabury. Of this union two sons were born: James W., and John E. Smith. When the latter was ten months old the mother died, the father followed a few years later, and these two sons were left with their half brother, S. Perry Smith.
John E. Smith early decided to embrace the profession of law, and when 21 years old borrowed money and began to read with Lucius P. Clark. In 1867 he was graduated from the Albany Law School, and immediately opened an office at Morrisville, where he has ever since resided. He assisted his brother James to acquire a professional education and that gentleman until the time of his death was a successful physician. He later assisted his half-brother Perry to acquire a professional education.
In the fall of 1877 Mr. Smith was elected district attorney of the county on the Republican ticket. He was succeeded by Henry Barclay, who became ill, and Mr. Smith consequently continued to officiate, being appointed to succeed Mr. Barclay, after the latter's resignation, by Governor Cornell. In the fall of 1885 he was elected to the New York State Senate from the twenty-third district, comprising the counties of Herkimer, Madison and Otsego. While serving this term he was on the committees on Judiciary, Privileges and Elections, Commerce and Navigation, and others. During the first winter as chairman of the committee on Privileges and Elections, he heard and decided the contest made by Judge Yates for the senatorial seat occupied by Senator Wemple. A good deal of partisan feeling was engendered and although he was politically opposed to Senator Wemple, Mr. Smith decided in his favor. He introduced many important bills, and took an active part in the contests between Morton and Miller, supporting the latter gentleman to the last. In debate he spoke frequently and effectively. In 1887 he formed a co-partnership with C. V. Kellogg and E. M. Wells of Syracuse, which continued until July, 1889, when he was appointed First Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of New York. In this responsible position he served until July, 1891, and during his incumbency prepared the Gould Bank cases and tried and convicted William Gould. He was also connected with the Faulkner cases at Danville, and briefed and argued in the United States Circuit Court the noted opium cases of the northern part of the State in which Gardner was convicted, although defended by Richard Crowley of Lockport. He also briefed and argued several other important cases in that court, among them that of Stephen A. Merzan, who was tried and convicted in the United States Ministerial Court at Alexandria, Egypt, for muder. He also briefed and argued the case of Charles M. Ross, a British subject sailing on the vessel "Bullion," who murdered the second mate, Kelly, in the waters of Japan. Intricate questions involving international constitutional law were involved. Upon his conviction being sustained, the case was appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The Attorney-General, in arguing the case, used Judge Smith's brief, and the court affirmed the decision of the lower tribunal. In 1889 he again became a candidate for State Senator. At first Hon. S. R. Mott made a vigorous contest against him for the delegation of the county, but finally withdrew. In the convention, how-ever, he was opposed by Wilbur of Otsego, and Sheard of Herkimer. The balloting continued for seven days; on the 938th ballot Mr. Smith was nominated. He ran against John Henderson on the Democratic ticket, and Professor Green on the Prohibitionist ticket, and was elected by about 2,100 plurality. During this term he served on the Finance General Laws, and Poor Laws committees, and was conspicuous in discussions and general work.
As a lawyer Judge Smith has been for years a leader of the county bar, and has figured in many important trials, including several murder cases. He usually goes on the stump during gubernatorial and presidential contests, and also frequently speaks on other public occasions. He possesses a pleasing personality, an affable manner, and as above stated, there are few people in Madison county whom he cannot call by name. For fourteen consecutive years he served as one of the examiners of applicants for admission to the bar, first in the third and afterwards in the fourth department; therefore most of the younger attorneys of this section know him well. In March, 1899, Governor Roosevelt appointed him judge of Madison county, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Kennedy, and at the Republican County Convention of 1899 he was unanimously nominated to this high position.
Judge Smith married in March, 1864, Mary E. Osborne, daughter of Wells Osborne of Smithfield. Three sons have been born of this union: G. Wells, of the county bar; Edwin Dudley, who died when about five years of age, and Kenneth O. Smith, now preparing for college at Colgate academy.
JACOB TEN EYCK
In the past history of the town of Cazenovia the Ten Eyck family has occupied a conspicuous and honorable place. Jacob Ten Eyck removed from Albany to Cazenovia about the year 1807, when only twelve years of age and found employment in the pioneer store managed by Samuel Forman. This store had then been open only a few years and the little settlement around the beautiful lake was in its early infancy. Mr. Ten Eyck came to his mercantile occupation endowed with those native qualities that never fail to win success. In the year following his arrival in Cazenovia he purchased the stately mansion, which was then incomplete, built by Mr. Forman, which he finished and occupied, and which has ever since remained in the family. He remained in the store five or six years, enjoying the confidence of his employers and acquiring a thorough business knowledge. At the close of that period he established a mercantile business on his own account, which he successfully conducted until about 1830. While thus engaged he also became interested in extensive business undertakings in the western part of the State. When he closed his mercantile career in Cazenovia Mr. Ten Eyck was widely known as a prosperous, enterprising and honorable merchant whose business standing was the highest and whose practical financial judgment and foresight were unquestioned.          The old Madison County Bank was organized in 1831, as elsewhere noticed, and Mr. Ten Eyck was chosen as one of the first board of di-rectors. Perry G. Childs was elected the first president of the bank, in which office he was succeeded by Mr. Ten Eyck. He held this position until near the time of his death and was succeeded by the late B. Rush Wendell.
Mr. Ten Eyck married a daughter of Joseph Burr and both he and his wife died in Savannah, Ga., in 1863, within three days of each other, of yellow fever. They left one son, Henry Ten Eyck, and two daughters. Henry Ten Eyck married Elizabeth Wendell and occupied the beautiful homestead on the shore of the lake, where his widow now resides. Mr. Ten Eyck died on April 4, 1884. They had an adopted daughter who is now the widow of Capt. Theodore C. Rogers, of the United States army. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers had a daughter, who is now Mrs. Elizabeth Ten Eyck Carpenter. B. Rush Wendell, before mentioned, came to Cazenovia in 1846 and was the founder of the family in Madison county. He was then a young law student. He married Margaret (Ten Eyck) Burr and to them were born four sons, one of whom is deceased. The living are Burr Wendell, Rush Wendell, and Ten Eyck Wendell, all residents of Cazenovia. In the social and business life of the village these families have occupied positions of distinction.