Cherry Creek, Chautaqua County N.Y
Historical and biographical sketch of
Cherry Creek, Chautauqua County, New York :
with views of business places and residences,
together with sketches of prominent citizens of various professions and occupations,
past and present
Buffalo: C.J. Shults., 1900,
[Transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
In writing the biographic sketches which appear in this book, it is not our purpose to offer eulogies or exaggerated words of praise. We simply wish to set forth in plain language brief sketches of the lives and character of men of our Village who have in one way or another gained prominence:
REUBEN W. PARSONS.
One of the best known and esteemed men in this locality, having been prominently identified with the business, religious and political affairs for upwards of two score years, is Reuben W. Parsons. He was born in the town of Hanover, this County, in 1831, and came to Cherry Creek in 1851. He began his career by teaching school and largely assisted in raising the standard of the schools and improving the school system. He successfully conducted a general store, then a dry goods store here for years, and has also been engaged at different times in the lumber trade, the canning factory, etc. Mr. Parsons has always taken an active part in advancing the wellfare of Cherry Creek. He was Supervisor of this Town in 1863-64, and has always more or less of the time, held some prominent town office, besides being President of the Village. He is the "Father of the Methodist Church" of this place, and has always taken an active interest in religious matters. Both in his private life and his business and official affairs Mr. Parsons has been distinguished by his upright and honorable character, his genial and gentlemanly demeanor and the capable manner in which he has discharged his duties under every circumstance. He has a host of friends and has won the esteem and respect of every one with whom he is brought in contact. Mr. Parsons was married to Miss Nancy Gould of Ellington, March 23, 1857. He has three children, Myrtie, wife of C.H. Reynolds of Brooklyn; D.G., who conducts a grocery and produce store in Duluth, and Rome A., who is now attending Garret's Biblical Institute at Evanston, Ill., as an Elder of the Erie Methodist Conference.
GEORGE W. ROOD
George W. Rood, one of the largest land owners and successful farmers of Cherry Creek, was born in the town of Charlotte, this County, Feb. 17, 1852. Mr. Rood has always been engaged in farming, stock raising, and buying and shipping cattle, in which he has been very successful. He is a member of the Village board and has done and is doing much for the benefit and advancement of the village and town. Throughout his entire life Mr. Rood has been very successful and has acquired a very fine property which he keeps in a good condition. Mr. Rood was married to Miss Rose Farrington of this town, October 15, 1862. To them were born four children, Alta, wife of Ernest Dye; Willie, deceased; Herbert and Bessie.
WILLIAM S. BLAISDELL
The founders of Cherry Creek, remarkable for thrift and energy, were not slow in transplanting their young and vigorous saplings to the fertile and promising soil as subsequent years have shown stalwart trees and powerful influences for good, matured from healthy saplings. Perhaps no more valuable illustration of the vitality and true worth of such a stock has been found than in the sketch of the life of Wm. S. Blaisdell, a highly respectable pioneer resident. Mr. Blaisdell was born in Lyden, Franklin County, Vt., February 14, 1823. He came with his father Stephen Blaisdell, who first settled in the old town of Gerry (now Ellington) in March 1824; then to Cherry Creek April 10, 1827. They moved into the unoccupied log house built by James Marks, in 1816, the second house built in town. Two weeks later the family moved into a new log house without a door, floor, window, or chimney; this was located on lot 28, which now is included in the incorporated Village. He still resides in the Village. His farm. of nearly 400 acres is just outside of the corporation. Mr. Blaisdell married Lydia F. Shattuck, daughter of L. E. Shattuck, June 1, 1856; she died June 24, 1860, leaving two children, Burke and Lydia F., who both died in November 1863. He married again June 6, 1864, Miss Mary K. Harris of Gerry, by whom he has three children, Martha, William B., and Alfred H. His occupation has always been that of farming, having cleared his present farm and erected substantial buildings. Mr. Blaisdell has always been liberal and has done much to make Cherry Creek what it is to-day. He has contributed to almost every enterprise the village now has; he has helped to build four churches and keep them in repair; also six school houses. He gave the right of way, three acres of land across his farm, to the railroad company, and also helped pay the right of way through the town. He also gave three acres of land for grist mill purposes. Mr. Blaisdell is and always has been a leading factor in every enterprise which had for its object the building up of the town. He is a man of reliability in word and deed and a person esteemed and respected by all.
LIVING is not expensive here. The habits of the people, although liberal, are not extravagant. Living in Cherry Creek is, therefore, comparatively cheap, and most all the conveniences of the more expensive communities are to be had.
CHARLES T. READE.
Chas. T. Reade was born in Randolph in 1839. Educated at the Chamberlain Institute at Randolph and the Ellington Academy, extensively traveled, liberal and broad minded, Mr. Reade is distinctively a man of the world, with a keen insight of men and affairs he has been able to use the one for the successful conduct of the other. No man in Cherry Creek perhaps, has so many acquaintances as Mr. Reade, he having visited every state in the Union and all the larger cities. To a pleasing exterior he forms that polish of manner obtained from contact with the world, a cheerful disposition to animate sense of humor. A Veteran of the war of the Rebellion, a democrat in politics, having been several times his party's nominee for Assembly. He has taken a lead in every movement for the improvement of the village and witnessed the wonderful change brought about which has made Cherry Creek the most progressive place in the county, from being the most conservative and old-fashioned. He was married to Miss Anna R. Bailey of Clear Creek, Jan. 28, 1866. He has two children, Will. T., one of the editors of the Weekly News, and Addie G., wife of C. S. Smith, the other editor.
JASPER H. NEWTON
There is not a family in Cherry Creek more thoroughly representative of the best element of pioneer American stock than that of Jasper H. Newton. Mr. Newton was born September 19, 1826, in the town of Barward, Windsor Co., Vt.; he was the son of Anson and Sarah Newton, who with their family of seven children, Samuel, Fannie, Lurenza, Jasper, Elizabeth, Harriet and George, came to Cherry Creek in the fall of 1836, and located upon the very land upon which the subject of this sketch now resides. They came by team from Vermont to Whitehall, this state, from there by canal to Buffalo, and by team from there here. At that time there was only about five acres of cleared land upon their farm. About the only way to obtain ready money was to burn the timber and leach the ashes thereof, obtaining what was called "Black Salts," which upon delivery to Dunkirk was worth $2.50 per cwt. After the land became cleared sufficiently to afford pasture he commenced the raising of stock, being among the first in the town to introduce Durham cattle, raising the same for the beef markets. Later he embarked in the dairying business making butter and cheese which still is his business. His farm is lot 46 of the Holland Land Co's. purchase, containing 173 acres. Mr. Newton possesses a reputation for honor, truthfulness and Christian character, and is a highly respected citizen. He with his estimable wife have done much for the town in a religious way. He was married November 30, 1870, to Mrs. Cynthia A. Newton, his deceased brother Samuel's widow, to whom there have been born two daughters, Effie and Sarah, the former the wife of Rev. J. W. Smith, and the latter the wife of Herbert Weaver, both residents of this town. To Jasper and Cynthia A. Newton was born two children, Samuel Anson and Jessie W., the latter of whom is now the wife of Homer A. Weaver, who with the son Anson S. remains at the old home, assisting in the work of the farm.
If we were to select an example of what fixed purpose and determination will accomplish; if we wanted to point out to the youth of Cherry Creek one who had began at the very bottom of the ladder and in 76 years had reached pretty well towards the top; if a boy poor in pocket desired wealth and would say, "Who shall I emulate ?" we would say the man whose name heads this article. James Matteson, was born in Cherry Creek, December 21, 1823. He was reared in this town and has lived here almost continually since, excepting about eight years passed in the town of Ellington, one in Buffalo, and three in Rhode Island. To the latter place he went when 21 years of age as the foreman of a construction company that had the contract of building a railroad. There he remained for three years when he returned to this place. Since which time by careful and conservative management he has ammassed quite a fortune. He is largely interested in Buffalo real estate; he also owns considerable real estate in this Village and vicinity. Mr. Matteson is a pleasant, agreeable man in his general demeanor, possessed of good business qualifications and a laudable ambition. He was married to Miss Elvecinda Cook, December 6, 1849. They have one son Frank.
THE population of Cherry Creek is on the increase and there is no reason why it should not double itself. There is plenty of room here for all the people that may come.
THE churches of Cherry Creek are conspicuous features of the Village. The depth and quality of public character is very often indicated in the work done for the churches. Every church here may be said to be prosperous.
REV. J. W. SMITH.
Thoughts for his fellow man, feelings for the needy, aspirations to be useful and a determination to win deserving and enduring success; these were the materials out of which the Rev. J. W. Smith built his active and honorable life. He was born on a farm in Crawford County, Pa., Dec. 20, 1845, and entered Allegany College at Meadville in the Spring of 1862; on account of failing health he left college in 1864, but soon thereafter he went to Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., graduating therefrom. Following this be gained employment as a book-keeper in the large wholesale house of Mining & Hoadley at Erie, Pa., in January, 1867, he became partner in the business which was then conducted under the firm name of P. Mining & Co. In 1870 failing health compelled a removal from the Lakeshore Country and he purchased a general store business in Hammondsburg; in the fall of the same year he sold the business and removed to Richmond, Va., where he engaged in the real estate business, organizing and controlling the "Old Dominion Land Co." of the latter place for three years. In 1873, he was appointed deputy collector of Internal Revenue of the third Virginia District, with headquarters at Richmond, serving in this capacity until the fall of 1876 when he returned North and entered upon a special course of study preparatory to entering the ministry of the M. E. Church. He had been licensed to preach while in Virginia in 1875, but continued poor health prevented an entrance into the Erie Conference, although recommended to that body both in 1877-78. However, in the spring of 1879 he was sent as a supply to Perrysburg, N. Y., and immediately commenced the work of building a new church at Versailes, (one of the preaching points on the Perrysburg charge) completing the same and having it dedicated before the close of his pastorate there. In the fall of 1879 he was sent to Cherry Creek to preach, where he remained for nearly three years, (see history of M. E. Church) when he resigned the pastorate and went to Bradford engaging in the oil business; he was a member of the oil exchange there for five years. In 1886 he returned to Cherry Creek and located permanently. He was two years pastor of the Free Baptist Church here and in 1894 pastor again of the M. E. Church. Many years ago Mr. Smith joined the Masonic Fraternity and at present is the Senior Warden of Cherry Creek lodge. Politically, Mr. Smith is a Republican and has been Justice of the Peace for many years and held many offices of honor and trust. He is a friend of education, of temperance and religion and highly respected by all.
GEORGE W. BROWN
An old proverb says: "The emergency brings forth the man to fill it," and certain it is that every man has a calling wherein he can accomplish the most good. The way to judge of a man's success is by the results of his work. If he conducts his business in an honorable manner, maintains his reputation as a man, accumulates his share of the world's goods, we consider him a success and a benefit to the community in which he lives. To this class of citizens properly belongs our fellow townsman. George W. Brown was born in Mansfield, Cattaraugus Co , N.Y., in January, 1860, where he was raised and received his early education. He afterwards attended the Franklinville Academy from which institution he graduated. He then engaged in school teaching and successfully conducted schools for ten terms, establishing an enviable reputation as an educator. He came to Cherry Creek in October, 1886, and purchased the grocery and provision business of W. E. Becker, which he successfully conducted until the Fall of 1899, selling the same to A. R. Smith. During the thirteen years while in business here he built up a large trade and made for himself a reputation for honesty and straightforwardness. Mr. Brown is a man who finds time for work, and time to his duty between himself and his fellowman. At present he and his estimable wife and daughters are sojourning in California. Mr. Brown was married to Miss Edith I. Smith of his native town, in April, 1884. They have one daughter Chloe, born April 13, 1889, and an adopted daughter Anna.
No village has brighter prospects for future growth, or offers more attractions in the way of business opportunities or as a place of residence than Cherry Creek, and one of the aims and objects of this book is to present briefly these advantages.
GEO. N. FROST
George N. Frost, widely known among lovers of fast horses, and as a successful farmer, was born within the limits of what is now the Village of Cherry Creek, October 21, 1826, before the town of Cherry Creek was organized out of territory belonging to the town of Ellington. He is a son of the pioneer family of George H. Frost, and might properly be termed a pioneer himself, as he was born within four years of the settlement of his father's family in the town, and when but a few acres of the primeval forest had yielded to the settler's ax. The broad cultivated fields, we now see, in this the closing year of the 19th century, yielding their annual harvests for man's support, are in striking contrast to the forest which his eyes first beheld and which his industry helped to remove. The days of his minority were spent in helping his father in the support of his large family. His educational advantages were meager, consisting of a few weeks of training, during the winter months in the district school, kept in the log school house near the site of which he now lives. Those meager advantages were well employed. Attending the same district school was a bright, modest and beautiful young lady, by the name of Jane M. Kimball, who but a few years previous had migrated with her mother and stepfather from Montgomery County, N.Y., and taken up her home with them on what is now known as the Crumb farm, situated about a mile west of the village, in the same school district. Her parents were in fairly good circumstances for those times. They built the first framed house of any magnitude in the town, and it is now in good condition and occupied as a residence by William Crumb. These young people became friends, lovers, husband and wife. They were married January 3, 1847, and started on their united career without means. They rented a farm until they had, by industry and economy, accumulated enough money to make the first payment on one which they subsequently purchased. They are both still living happy and contented lives in a fine home on one of the farms which their industry and prudence has secured for them, and which is situated about 1 1/2 miles west of the village on the main road. Of this union six children were born; Helen M., deceased, Burlin N., one of the successful farmers of the town, Hon. George H., a practicing attorney of Buffalo, N. Y., Mary Adelaide, who became Mrs. Charles S. Jenks of Poland, N.Y., Lilis Fidelia, now Mrs. William R. Huntley of Sherman, N.Y., and Charles L., a merchant in the village of Cherry Creek. Mr. Frost has during his long life adhered closely to his chosen occupation of farming, and maintains that no calling of man is more honorable, or affords a better livelihood to him who would properly pursue it. With his own hands he has assisted in clearing many acres of forest lands, and has cultivated the same through the successive changes of its condition and improved agriculture. Like most farmers in this vicinity he has pursued what is termed mixed husbandry, keeping horses, cattle and sheep, and raising hay, grain and fruit. He has taken great pride in each branch of husbandry, but more especially in the raising of stock, improving his breeds from time to time with the best strains of thoroughbreds available. He has been exceedingly fond of horses, especially fast trotters, and has taken keen pleasure in training and driving them. His fame as a trainer and driver reached beyond the limits of the state, and he was credited by the highest authority with superior ability in conditioning his horses for endurance and speed. Cool of head and steady of nerve, he thereby inspired confidence in, and secured the greatest efforts from the horses he drove. No driver could obtain greater speed from the same animal than he, and this always with kindness. In his earlier days he bred several and trained all of the horses in this section of the state having the highest trotting speed of their respective times, notably: Billy, Gray Squirrel, Leopard, Nellie White, Black Mack, Harry Haynes and Versailles Girl. In public affairs he has always taken a deep interest and held positive views on all important questions. He was for a long time active in the Republican politics of his county and was often sent as a delegate to political conventions. Faithful to every trust he has successively held in numerous years the offices of Supervisor and Highway Commissioner, holding the former office in the years 1866-69-72-73-75 and 77, and was during the war of the Rebellion intrusted with large sums of money by his town and charged with the duty of expending the same in the employment of men to fill its quotas of soldiers. His high moral conduct, temperate habits, integrity, self reliance and industry, coupled with his exhaustless energy and accurate judgment, are the strong characteristics of his manhood and the elements of his success.
TRUMAN B. CARR
Truman B. Carr is one of our oldest and most respected citizens. From a start in the world with nothing, his life's earnings have been carefully husbanded, leaving him now in independent circumstances financially. He is a man of untiring industry who has worked early and late, while his habits of life are strictly moral and upright. The history of the English speaking family of the Carr's is as old as the Norman conquest. One of the followers of William the First taken from a charter in Battle Abey, bears the name of Carr. The early posterity of this Norman soldier, settled in the North of England. The records of the earliest Carr's who settled in this country, date back three centuries, to four brothers who were born in London. Their names were Benjamin, William, George and James. The descendents of these brothers settled in this country. Truman B., son of Wm. G. and sally (Baldwin) Carr, was born in Otsego County, this state, August 4, 1829. He came to Cherry Creek with his parents when ten weeks old, and settled upon the farm now owned by the Weed Brothers. Mr. Carr has always been engaged in farming and dairying. He now owns a good farm of 203 acres with excellent, buildings. He also owns the store building in the Village occupied by F. R. Pope as a furniture store. He was married to Miss Hannah Billings February 22, 1857. This union has been blessed with two children, Ella, born May 13, 1859, now residing at home, and Jennie, born October 25, 1865, who married B. J. Richardson June 12, 1888. She died April 9, 1895.
JOHN H. CURTIS
Among the early settlers of the town of Cherry Creek, was Stephen L. Curtis, who purchased a farm of 50 acres from the Holland Land Company in 1834. Here he lived for over 50 years until his death in 1885. On this farm was born his youngest child, John H. Curtis, who all his life has lived on the same farm, now increased by him to 150 acres and which is situated on the main road of the town, three miles north of the village of Cherry Creek. In March, 1860, he married Miss Emma Parsons; and on the farm of his birth, were born their two children, a daughter, now Mrs. Lemuel P. Wood, and a son, Edgar W. Curtis. One grandson was also born on the same farm. Thus three generations of this family have been born on the farm which has remained in the family since its first transfer from the Holland Land Company. Mr. Curtis is one of the progressive farmers of the town and a man well informed on general topics of the times, being a great reader of the newspapers, magazines and agricultural literature, and attending all Farmers' Institutes held within his reach. For his dairy products, he has a steady city market. His farm is set with all the fruits which will grow in. this locality, not so much for market as for family enjoyment; he being one of the very few farmers in this region who has a private vineyard. He has one of the finest barns in the town and with the name, "Valley View Stock Farm," it is one of the landmarks of the locality. Although his father was a Whig and later a strong Republican to the time of his death, Mr. Curtis, has from principle, been a Democrat all his life, casting his first ballot for President in favor of Stephen A. Douglass, and voting for the Democratic candidate in every presidential election since, having voted only twice during his whole life in favor of the successful one. Though often offered the nomination for supervisor and other town offices he has always declined, preferring to take no part in politics except as a voter. In 1868 he became a member of the Masonic Lodge of the village and has ever since been an active and enthusiastic member. For four years he has represented the lodge in the grand lodge of the state; twice in the years 1876 and '7 and again in 1889 and '90.
G. S. KENT
One of the representative citizens of the town of Cherry Creek, who sprung from a family who settled here early in the town's history is G. S. Kent, who was born here Nov. 12, 1828, on Lot 9, and who has resided here continuously since. He was reared a farmer and that vocation he now successfully follows. He was married May 25, 1848, to Miss Lemira James, who died eight years thereafter; to them were born two children, George Kent and Mrs. Martha A. Day. Mr. Kent was married a second time September 25, 1857 to Miss Josephine Hill, daughter of Horatio Hill, a highly respectable citizen. By this union they had one son, Elmer A. Kent. Mr. Kent is recognized as a most progressive and influential farmer. For the past eleven years he has been Fire Director of the Grange, a co-operative fire insurance association, and lecturer of the Cherry Creek Grange for years. In religion he is a devout Methodist, having served as trustee and class leader ever since the church was organized. At the time the church was erected he was chairman of the building committee, and did much toward raising the necessary funds. In politics he is an ardent Republican and has acceptably filled several town offices. He is upright in character and his name is synonamous with integrity.
ISAAC S. BENTON.
The sentiment, culture, and often the propriety of a community is reflected, in a measure by the monuments in the cemetery, where sleep the "fore fathers of the hamlet", the dear ones whose vacant chairs are sad fixtures of many homes, the departed ones who live in memory; and after in public esteem for the good done by them during life. One of the best tributes therefore, that can be paid to the better sentiment of a town is the patronage given a dealer in monuments, tombstones, and other work by which the memory of the dead is revered and perputated. The monumental work put up by I. S. Benton may be counted among the best and most extensive in the county or Western New York. Mr. Benton, has been in business here since March 1, 1883, and he does an extensive business. Many of the handsome monuments and tombstones of his are seen in the Cemetery of Cherry Creek and throughout Western New York; notably among those are the soldiers monuments here, at Portland and Randolph, and are greatly admired for their artistic beauty. Mr. Benton is well known and popular in the business world, at home, and throughout the district. He was one of the first trustees of the Village and has done much to help the town, and is one of her most substantial citizens. Mr. Benton was born at Cottage, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., October 25, 1859, and was married to Miss Nettie Tanner, Jane 20, 1883. They have two children Erie R. and Merle J. His present enviable position was obtained through pluck and enterprise, being thrown upon his own resources, fought the world alone and unaided, and has won success.
YOUNG men find Cherry Creek an admirable place in which to succeed in life, and the town is peopled with young men who have begun at the bottom of the ladder and have won success through their own merits, and through the generous and kindly spirit of appreciation which distinguishes the people of Cherry Creek.
AMONG the prominent agencies which give shape and order in the early development of the civil and social condition of society, the bar is perhaps the most potential in moulding the institutions of a new community. The establishments of courts and judicial tribunals, whose society is protected in all its civil rights under the sanction of law, and wrong finds a ready redress in an enlightened and prompt administration of justice, is when law is entrenched behind the bulwarks of right, administered by a pure, independent, and uncorrupted judiciary. The Cherry Creek Bar has, from its inception, numbered among its able jurists, talented advocates and safe counselors. The first regular lawyer to locate here was John T. Clark and the more prominent ones since were Hon. Charles B. Green, Hon. George H. Frost, Everand A. Hayes, M. Matteson and I. R. Leonard. The present lawyers are R. A. Hall, James Van Buren, C. O. Tarbox, and A. L. Bullock.
RICHARD A. HALL
Was born in Cherry Creek, May 12, 1865, and was married to Estelle B. Ellsworth, daughter of Col. S. B. Ellsworth of Conewango, September 13, 1888. Mr. Hall graduated at the Fredonia Normal School in June, 1883, and soon afterwards commenced the reading of law with Hon. George H. Frost, and was admitted to the bar to practice June 15, 1889. Since which time he has made a brilliant reputation as a trial lawyer, and in the argument of cases in the Supreme Court and higher courts, and has forced himself to the front among the lawyers of Chautauqua County.
CLINTON O. TARBOX
Was born in the Town of Chautauqua, this County, in 1873, receiving his early education in the common school and afterwards pursuing a course of study at the Fredonia Normal School. In the fall of 1894 he entered the Law School at Cornell University, having won a scholarship at the state competitive examinations, and from which institution he was graduated in 1896. Between the times of Law School he studied in the office of the Hon. W. B. Hooker at Fredonia, N. Y., thereby securing the best of legal training. Mr. Tarbox located here in March, 1899, and has already demonstrated his ability, and is taking high rank in his profession. The vigor with which he has prosecuted cases entrusted to him has won for him a large practice.
ARDEN L BULLOCK.
Though one of the youngest members of the bar, Arden L. Bullock is forging rapidly to the front as an attorney who masters his work. He is quick, thorough and practical. Mr. Bullock is a self-made young man, and owes what he is largely to his own industrious efforts. He was born here March 16, 1875; attended the Fredonia Normal School, and when seventeen years of age began teaching and taught for a period of three years. Although young in years he has held and now holds several offices of honor and trust. When 21 years of age he was elected Justice of the Peace — the youngest person undoubtedly, who was ever chosen to such a position—which office he still acceptably and creditably fills. In 1897 he was chosen President of Hose Co. No. 1 and in 1898 was elected Chief of the Fire Department; at present he is the secretary and treasurer of the department. Mr. Bullock is a member of Cherry Creek Lodge No. 384 F. & A. M. and was the secretary of the same in 1897, '98; he is also a member of Cherry Creek Lodge No. 463, I. O. O. F., and was secretary of that lodge for two terms. In September, 1898, he entered the Law Department of the University of Buffalo, became a member of the Delta Chi Legal Fraternity and is now the Chief executive of that organization; he was also unanimously chosen secretary of his graduating class of 1900. Mr. Bullock took the eaxmination early in January—six months ahead of timor before it was required—and passed, receiving his diploma to practice February 8, 1900. Mr. Bullock needs no formal introduction to our people, to whom he is well known. His life has been mostly passed here, and his standing, as well as his private life, are an open book to our citizens. He has a host of friends among all classes.
EDGAR W. CURTIS
The only son of John H. Curtis, was born in Cherry Creek, November 19, 1870. He received his early education in the home district school, being so fortunate as to have at an early age for his teacher, Adrian Price, who aroused in him a desire to have the best education in his reach. Later he attended the Cherry Creek school and having completed the course there entered the Fredonia Normal School, where he graduated in the Classical course in June, 1893. While there he was an active member of the Zetesian Society, being elected its president during his last year there. Previous to his graduation, he accepted the principalship of the Union School at Allegany, N.Y., beginning his duties there in September, 1893 and acting as principal and superintendent for four years. He was offered the position for the fifth year at an increased salary, but having several years previous a decided to enter the legal profession, he resigned his position at Allegany and entered the law office of Richard A. Hall of this village where he remained two years. He is now taking a special course in the law department of the University of Buffalo. In June, 1897, he married Miss Grace E. Delamater of Allegany, N.Y., and they have since resided in this village. Though now through teaching he still takes a great interest in all educational matters. He is a member of both the Odd Fellows and Masonic lodges of the village, now occupying the position of junior warden in the latter fraternity. An enthusiastic amateur photographer, he has devoted his spare moments, since leaving school to journalistic work, being a regular contributor to one periodical, and having contributed several articles to the local paper, the-"Illustrated Express," other periodicals and magazines; his article most widely copied being a brief biography of his friend and former teacher, Prof. Darlin T. Bentley, appearing as special in "Farm and Fireside" of March 1, of last year.
The specialist in evidence is said to be one who knows something of everything, and everything of something, in the line of his profession, and though there are no physicians in Cherry Creek, who profess to be specialists, there are those who give special attention to some class of diseases. But no matter what the ailment be, there is always a physician near at hand who can answer any call intelligently. A physician who had been in active practice in Cherry Creek and vicinity for many years, informed us that there is no healthier locality in Western New York, than this village of ours. The hygenic conditions of the village is so well looked after, that if any epidemic disease ever gets started here, it is soon among the things that were, and little damage is done. With Cherry Creek's growth in other directions, it has not retrograded as regards it medical profession, as some of its members have been rewarded with much success in their work, and the general esteem in which they have been held. Cherry Creek is exceedingly fortunate in being remarkably free from the unhealthy conditions which make many towns undesirable as places of residence. Although near the great Conewango Swamp, its atmosphere is generally dry. But of course, we are all subject to the ills and sickness of mankind in general, and it is a comfort to know that in our hour of distress, we can rely upon competent medical attendance, as that at our command.
CHAS. A. SHEPARD, M. D.
An eminent physician of large practice in Cherry Creek and vicinity, was born in Belleville, Hastings County, Canada, October 9, 1871. He is son of the late Hon. William Allen Shepard, a well known newspaper man, who was in 1892 president of the United Typothetaa of America, and who was for a number of years manager of the largest printing establishment in Canada located at Toronto. Dr. Shepard was educated in the Toronto High School, he studied medicine at the Medical Department of the University of Toronto, and graduated from the University of Buffalo in May, 1896. For eight years he occupied the dual position of purser and steamer physician on the Niagara River line, plying between Lewiston and Toronto.
DR. CHAS. A. SHEPARD
He began the practice of medicine in this vicinity in 1896 and 1898 he located in Cherry Creek. The doctor is a very successful physician, and a busy man. He is a man of learning in his profession, courteous and affable in disposition, and fully merits the large patronage he enjoys. He was married in the fall of 1896 to Miss Clara Childs, daughter of James H. Childs, collector of customs at Lewiston. They have one daughter, Edna.
THE well known enterprise of Cherry Creek's business men is certainly most commendable, and by giving the information to be found in these pages concerning them and their business, it is anticipated that not only will they be benefitted but the village's "out of town" business facilities made better known to the hundreds among the business men and citizens of our tributary towns, and the farmers upon whom the prosperity of the village so largely depends.