Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
DAVID LACY lived in a house west of the parsonage house, nearly opposite to Doctor Kent's. He married Martha Parrot, and had children :
1. Jacob, who married, 1st, Mary Clawson ; 2d, Betsey widow of Moses Headley, and daughter of Benjamin Parker.
2. Samuel married Charlotte Dove.
3. Daniel married, 1st, Polly Bedell, who died 24th January, 1783, aged 20 years ; and he married, 2d, Hannah Van Court, below Plainfield.
4. John married, 1st, Catherine ____, who died 23d October, 1794 ; and he married, 20th December, 1705, 2d, Rhoda Jennings, and had children : 1. Aaron ; 2. Caty, baptized 7th May, 1786.
5. Nancy married Master John Blair, a schoolmaster, and had an only son, John.
6 Patty married, 27th September, 1783, Henry Roff, brother of the wile of David Smalley Esq.
7 Polly married, 30th January, 1785, John Adams, and removed to western New York.
8. Sarah, who died 9th July, 1770, aged 21 years, unmarried.
JACOB LACY, (1st child of David,) and Mary Clawson, had children:
1. David, who died unmarried.
2. Sally, who married, 1st, Potter Maseho ; 2d, Israel Brant.
3 Nancy married Luther Lindsley, of New Vernon, and went to Ohio.
4 Mary married James Leonard.
5. Jacob married Hannah Badgley, daughter of George ; lived in Springfield.
7. Lany, who both went to the lakes, N. Y.
8. Clawson. who married Phebe Force, daughter of Benjamin, son of Squier, Sen. Jacob Lacy died about 1846, nearly 100 years of age.
SAMUEL LACY, (2d child of David,) and Charlotte Dove, had children :
1. Daniel, who married Nancy Thompson, daughter of Hezekiah, and had children :
1. John, who married Caroline Johnson, son of John, of Amboy.
2. Hezekiah married Jane Lindsley, daughter of Luther Lindsley, above named, and had children : 1. Jesse Clark 2. Elihu ; 3. Nancy.
3. Jane married Marcus Bonnel, of Elizabethtown.
4. Washington married Elizabeth Rogers, of New York.
5. Thompson married Hannah Kirkpatrick, daughter of Isaac.
6. Daniel married Rebecca Johnson, of Pennsylvania.
7. Caleb married Mariah Eton.
8. Isaac Augustus.
2. Patty, who died in her 2d year.
3. John is a bachelor.
4. Eunice died unmarried ; she was lame.
5. Patty married Squier Meeker, had 2 children, and died.
6. Betsey married, 12th December, 1814, Joel Canfield, of Hanover.
DANIEL LACY, (3d child of David,) and Polly Bedell, had one son :
1. Nathan, who died young.
And by his 2d wife, Hannah Van Court, had a son :
2. Silas, born 30th March, 1789, who married Nancy Parker, born 15th May, 1790, daughter of Gershom Parker, and lived in Yates county, New York, and had children:
1. Mary S. Lacy, born 10th December, 1809, and married John Mallory. son of Ephraim, and had a daughter, Ruth Anne Mallory, born 1st March, 1845. [See Stephen Whitaker.]
2. Elizabeth Lacy, born 20th August, 1811, and died in infancy.
3. James P. Lacy, born 16th september, 1813, married Eliza Wells, of Penn Yan, and had children :1. Julia; 2. James.
4. Agnes Van Court, born 27th August, 1815, married Clinton B. Taylor lives at St. Paul's, Minesota, and had children : 1. Mary Taylor ;2. Nancy Taylor.
5. Sally P., born 19th February, 1817, married Jeremiah G. Lane, of Vermont, lives in Jamestown, and had children : 1. Cyrus Lane ; 2. Edwin Lane ; 3. Andrew Lane.
6. Abraham Hobart Lacy, born 20th April, 1819, married Sarah Anne Beck ; lives in Warren, Pennsylvania ; have a son, Andrew Francis.
7. David Van Court, born 25th December, 1820, married Deborah Middleton, lives in Penn Yan ; have a son, Charles Silas.
8. Hannah Van Court, born 28th January, 1822, married William P. Gaylord, son of Amos, of Beaton.
9. Alfred Elderlin Campbell Lacy, born 10th December, 1823, married Catherine Newman, of Beech Woods, Pennsylvania, and had children : 1. Mary Irene ; 2. Jeremiah Newman ; 3. William.
10. Henry Axtel Lacy, born 28th August, 1825, married Lucinda Pickard ; lives in Warren, Pennsylvania ; has a son, Adelbert.
11. Fanny Lacy, born 6th March, 1828, married Orange Reese, son of John, near Warren, Pennsylvania, and have sons : 1. Azora Lestelle Reese ; 2. John Reese.
12. Betsey Lacy, born 21at February, 1833.
PATTY LACY, (6th child of David,) and Henry Roff, had children:
1. Philetus Roff, who married, 24th December, 1823, Catherine Yaty Crane.
2. Miriam Roff married Daniel Sayre, of Connecticut Farms, and had children 1. Clarissa, who died unmarried ; 2. Daniel Sayre ; 3. Mary died unmarried ; .4. Henry Sayre married _____.
3. Hannah Roff married John Stanbury, son of Col. Rec. Stanbury, of Scotch Plains.
4. Willson Roff.
5. Robert Roff died a young man, unmarried.
6. Henry Roff.
7. David Roff died 17th October, 1818, a young man, unmarried.
8. Hamsley Roff married _____, in New York.
9. Daniel Roff married Sally Pack.
POLLY LACY, (7th child of David,) and John Adams, had children:
1. David Adams.
2. Chloe Adams.
3. Charlotte Adams.
ABRAHAM LACY, (probably a brother of David,) whose wife was Susannah, had 5 children:
1. Mary, who was baptized 22d April, 1786.
2. David Broadwell ; 3. Hannah ; 4. Abigail ; 5. Rachel ; all baptized 21st May, 1786.
JOHN LAMB lived in Westfield ; he married Mary Thompson, eldest daughter of Thomas Thompson, (see Thomas Thompson,) and had children :
1. Patience, who married, 11th June, 1769, Noah Clark.
2. Joseph, born 11th October, 1756, and married Ruth Scudder, daughter of Benjamin Scudder, of Springfield, and went to Labanon, Ohio.
3. Betsey married Ichabod Ross, son of John Ross. [See Ross.]
COL. JOSEPH LAMB, (2d child of John Lamb,) and Ruth Scudder, lived near Lebanon, Ohio, and had children :
1. Elizabeth, who was born 28th Sept. 1780, and married, 1st, Frazee Bishop ; 2d, Joseph Worth ; and died in 1844, leaving three children : 1. William Bishop; 2. Ezra Bishop ; 3. Eliza Bishop.
2. Benjamin Scudder Lamb, born 19th Dec. 1782, and lives in New York.
3. Isaac, born 1st July, 1787, married _____, and has 8 children.
4. Sarah, born 13th Sept. 1789, married William Davis, in Ohio, son of Jonathan. They, soon after their marriage, both joined the Shaking Quakers ; had no children ; Davis died, and she is still with them in 1851.
5. Thompson, born 21st Sept. 1794, married Caroline Stevenson. She died, and he married, 2d, Anna Benham. He died 21st July, 1848, leaving four daughters.
6. Mary, born 10th Jan. 1798, married Joseph Banker, and she died 28th Nov. 1824.
7. Joseph Q., born 28th Jan. 1800, married Hester Davis, daughter of Jonathan Davis. [See William Bedell,] She died, and he married, 2d, Margaret J. Lowe; he had children :
1. Thompson; 2. Abraham ; 3. Hester ; 4. Isaac ; 5. Ruth; 6. Jacob ; 7. Charles ; 8. Caroline.
8. Anne, born 10th March, 1802, married John Schenck, who died I846, leaving one child.
9. Hannah, born 3d Aug. 1805, married Peter Williamson, and had children : 1. Ruth Williamson ; 2. Mary Williamson ; 3, Milton Williamson ; 4. Peter Williamson ; 5. Eliza Williamson ; 6. Ezra Williamson.
ROGER LAMBERT, of Wiltshire, in England, was the father of John Lambert, who emigrated to this country, settled in Westfield, and was the father of James Lambert, the Hither of Jaines Lambert, who was born 14th July. 1755, and married Hannah Littell, the eldest child of Moses Littell (son of Benjamin) and Abigail Thompson, (daughter of Thomas Thompson, of Connecticut farms, New Jersey.) [See Littell and Thompson families. See also Warner Tucker.]
NOTE: The name of Roger Lambert is in the first list of " the Elizabethtown Associates."
JAMES LAMBERT married Hannah Littell, the 25th December, 1774. She was born 15th November, 1759. They had children:
1. Moses, born 29th July, 1776, and died young.
2. Mary, born 24th September, 1778, married William Perigo of New York, and lived there.
3. Moses, 2d, born 21st October, 1780, married Betsey Dunham, daughter of John. He died 11th October, 1803.
4. James, born 8th August, 1782, went to New Orleans, and married Eliza Leslie.
5. Charlotte, born 11th May, 1784, married Andrew Rogers, a native of Ireland.
6. Rachel, born 22d December, 1786, married Henry Roff, son of Nathaniel, of New Providence, New Jersey ; lived in New York, and are both dead. [See Roff]
7. Phebe, born 27th January, 1788, married Simeon Coles. She died 10th August, 1820.
8. Sarah Sayres, born 11th May, 1791. She died 12th March, 1796.
9. Hannah, born 10th July, 1793, married Benjamin Radley, son of John. 10. _____ , twin to Hannah, born 10th July, 1793, and died in infancy.
11. Isaac, born 20th February, 1790, went to New Orleans, and married Adelia ____, and died there, leaving 3 children. , Some of them are dead.
12. Simeon, born 2d May, 1798, married his cousin, Freelove Littell, daughter of John.
13. Enoch, born 4th September, 1801, married, Adaline Force, and died in 1828 or -9.
14. John, born 4th March, 1804, went to New Orleans, married _____, and resides there.
15. Susan, born 4th September, 1807, married Isaac Brokaw, son of John, son of Isaac Brokaw, the clock-maker, at Rahway.
MARY LAMBERT, and William Perrigo, had 10 children :
1. Sarah Perrigo, who married George Coddington, of New York, and had 8 children : 1. Sarah Coddington, who died young. 2. George Coddington married _____, and had 2 children. 3. Moses Coddington. 4. Eliza Coddington. 5. William Coddington. 6. Abraham Coddington, who died young. 7. Mary Coddington. 8. Henry Coddington.
2. Lewis Perrigo married Mary Anne Cooper, had 3 children : 1. William Perrigo ; 2. _____ Perrigo ; 3. Hester Anne Perrigo.
3. Hannah Perrigo married James Leach, and had 3 children : 1. John Leach ; 2. Phebe Dingy Leach ; 3. Mary Leach.
4. Moses Perrigo married 1. _____, had no children ; 2. _____, in New Orleans.
5. Mary Perrigo married Samuel Champ, from England ; had 2 children: 1. James Champ; 2. William Champ.
6. Rachel Perrigo married Anthony Austin, of New York, and had 10 children : 1. Peter Austin ; 2. William Austin ; 3. Mary Austin ; 4. Joanna Austin ; 5. Eliza Austin ; 6. Harriet Austin ; 7. Anne Louisa Austin.
7. William Perrigo married Hannah Eliza Littell, daughter of Jonas, and had one child, Susan Louisa Perrigo.
8. Anne Louisa Perrigo married James Noe, son of Peter, and had children : 1. Mary Louisa Noe ; 2. Josephine Noe ; 3. James Noe.
11. Phebe Perrigo.
12. James Perrigo.
MOSES LAMBERT, and Betsey Dunham, had one child, Moses, who at about 17 or 18 years of age, was killed by the explosion of a steamboat boiler, at Whitehall, New York.
JAMES LAMBERT, 4th, and Eliza Leslie, had 3 children. He lived and died in New Orleans.
1. James, 5th.
3. Elizabeth, who married George Roselias.
CHARLOTTE LAMBERT, and Andrew Rogers, had 10 children:
1. David Rogers married Eliza Miller, daughter of David Miller, son of Clark, son of Samuel, son of Alderman William Miller.
2. Mary Anne Rogers married George Moore, of Woodbridge. They went to Michigan, and had 7 children :
1. William Moore ; 2. Mary Moore, who died young ; 3. Andrew Moore ; 4. Albert Moore ; 5. John Hervy Moore ; 6. Eliza Jane Moore ; 7. ____.
3. James Rogers died young.
4. Henry Rogers married Mary Curtis, and went to Ohio.
5. Hannah Rogers married William Coward, of Plainfield ; had children: 1. William Henry Harrison Coward. 2. Eliza. Coward.
6. Rachel Rogers married James Bailey, an Englishman ; went to Canada, and died, leaving 3 children.
7. Charlotte Rogers married Jeremiah Clark, of Rahway, and died, leaving 2 children : 1. James Andrew Clark ; 2. Matilda Clark.
8. Eliza Rogers married Abraham Cobb ; had 3 children : 1. John Livingston Cobb ; 2. George Washington Cobb ; 3. ____ Cobb.
9. James Rogers married Catherine Dunham ; had 3 children: 1. George Rogers; 2. ____ Rogers ; 3. Eliza Rogers.
10. John Rogers, who died 1848, aged about 24 years, unmarried.
RACHEL LAMBERT, and Henry Roff. [For their descendants, see Henry Rolf, 6th child of Nathaniel Roff.]
PHEBE LAMBERT, and Simeon Coles, both died, leaving 2 children: 1. Sarah Coles, born 14th September, 1811. 2. James Coles, who went to Matanzas, and married there, and had 3 children : 1. James Coles ; 2. Annette Coles ; 3. ____ Coles.
HANNAH LAMBERT, and Benjamin Radley, had 4 children:
1. Squier Radley, born 5th September, 1812, married Susan Woodruff, daughter of Benjamin, of Westfield, and had 6 children: 1. Charlotte Radley ; 2. Mary Radley ; 3. Anna Radley ; 4. Alfred Radley ; 5. Priscilla Radley ; 6. Hannah Radley.
2. Phebe Radley married her cousin, Isaac Littell, son of John and Deborah Littell ; had children :
1. Norman Leslie Littell, born 1Oth December, 1839.
2. Courtland Baker Littell, born 25th September, 1841.
3. Augusta Littell, born 3d October, 1844.
4. George M. Dallas Littell, born 27th January, 1847.
3. Hannah Radley married George Force, and had children : 1. Georgiana Force. 2. Walter Force.
4. Anne Elizabeth Radley.
SIMEON LAMBERT, and Freelove Littell, lived where his father did, at the old windmill, and had 10 children :
1. John Lambert, born 20th December, 1824.
2. Freelove Lambert, born 28d February, 1827.
3. Rachel Lambert, born 15th June, 1830.
4. Julia Lambert, born 8th June, 1832.
5. James Lambert, born 26th April, 1834.
6. Martha Anne Lambert, born 19th December, 1837.
7. Isaac Lambert, born 2d April, 1839.
8. Sarah Elizabeth Lambert, born 16th December, 1842.
9. Matilda Lambert, born 9th November, 1844.
10. Irene Lambert, born 19th January, 1848.
ENOCH LAMBERT, and Adaline Force, had 2 children :
1. Mary, who married Wickliff Williams, and had children: 1. Lewis Williams : 2. Susan Radley Williams.
2. Susan married John Newman, son of Jeremiah, of Woodbridge ; children: 1. Mary Newman ; 2. _____.
JOHN LAMBERT went to New Orleans, married, and lives there.
SUSAN LAMBERT, and Isaac Brokaw, had children : 1. Isaac Brokaw, born 17th September, 1842.
JOHN LEONARD lived on Stony Hill, and married, 1st, _____, and had a son, Stephen Leonard, who lived in Rahway. His first wife then died, and he married, 2d, Betsey, the widow of Thomas Martin, and daughter of Uriah Hedges, Jun., by whom be had children:
2. Locke y, who married Noah Willcox, Jun., son of Noah. [See Willcox.]
3. Chloe married Jacob Bosworth.
4. Charles, who died a young man, unmarried.
5. Benjamin, who went to the lakes, and married there.
6. Phebe, who married William Brower, of Monmouth county.
7. Betsey, who married Benjamin Sanford, son of Samuel, of Monmouth county.
WILLIAM LINE was a captain of the militia, and lived between the mountains near Blue Brook, the east branch of Green Brook, and had children:
1. Sarah, who married, 5th Jan. 1769, Martin Day.
2. Isaac, who married, 23d Feb. 1774, Mary Maxwell, daughter of William, and had but one child, Isaac, who went to the West.
His widow married John Wilcox, Jun. [See Willcox.]
8. Isaiah married Sarah Pearce, daughter of Melvin Pearce, of Scotch Plains, and had children William, &c.
5. Margaret married, 7th March, 1783, Elihu Woodruff.
6. Joseph married Phebe Wood, of Morris county.
JOSEPH LINE, (son of Capt. William Line,) lived where his father did. He and Phebe Wood had children :
1. Polly, who married Moses Willcox, son of John Willcox, Jun. (See Willcox.)
2. Deborah married, 30th March, 1791, Joseph Tucker, son of John. (See Tucker.)
3. Nancy married Noah Cory, of Scotch Plains.
4. Sarah married John Willcox 3d, son of John Willcox, Jun. [See Willcox.]
NANCY LINE, and Noah Cory, had children:
1. Joseph Line Cory married Abigail Littell, daughter of Master Benjamin Littell, and went to Indiana.
2. Aaron Cory, who married Betsey Parker, daughter of Benjamin, of Scotch Plains.
3. Ezra Cory married Phebe Lee, daughter of Thomas, of Short Hills.
4. Mary Cory died at about 20 years of age, unmarried.
5. Eliza Anne Cory.
6. Phebe Cory married Benhu McCoy, son of Goin, of Basking Ridge.
7. Hannah Cory married Benjamin Cory, son of Daniel, Jun., of Long Hill, and had but one child, Albinos Cory.
GEORGE LITTLE and BENJAMIN LITTLE, brothers, were merchants of London, and emigrated from that city about the year 1630, or between that year and 1640, to Newbury, Essex county, Massachusett. Benjamin's children settled in West Newbury, at Craneneck Hill, and many of his descendants are there in that vicinity to this day.
George Little had sons, Benjamin, Silas, and John.
A grandson of George Little, by the name of Nathaniel Little, had two sons, Tristram and Henry, who were still living (in 1848) on the old homestead of George and Benjamin Little, in Newbury. Tristram married Sally Little, daughter of David, son of Samuel Little, of New Hampshire. Henry also married a Little.
George Little's son Benjamin settled in the vicinity of Newbury, and his family spread out into New Hampshire.
He had a son Samuel Little, who married, and had six sons and four daughters, viz. : Abner, Stephen, Joshua, David, Jonathan. and Jacob ; and daughters, Elizabeth, Polly, Abigail, and Sally, Sally married John Webster.
JONATHAN LITTLE, (son of Samuel) married Dolly, a granddaughter of Benjamin Little, 2d, and had five sons, but no daughters, viz. :
1. Joseph, born 26th July, 1789, lived at Atkinson, Rockingham county, New Hampshire. He married Rebecca Webster, daughter of John Webster and Sally Little.
2. Stephen married Betsey ____.
3. John married Louisa Califf, grand-daughter of Silas Little.
4. Jonathan studied physic, and died at 28 years.
6. David married Louisa Peasley.
JOSEPH LITTLE, (son of Jonathan,) and Rebecca Webster, had children :
3. Elbridge Gerry, born 11th Nov. 1817, graduated at college, studied theology at Princeton. He married Sarah E. Coleman, daughter of Daniel Coleman, Esq., of Newburyport ; she died 28th March, 1851, aged 27 years. He is preaching in New England.
5. Joseph Francis.
JOHN LITTLE, (son of George,) left home to seek his fortune, and went to Barnstable or Martha's Vineyard, and thence to Long Island, and from thence the family knew not where. But soon after 1665, Philip Carteret, Governor of New Jersey, sent messengers through all the adjoining provinces to invite settlers. These came in considerable numbers from New England and Long Island. And in 1676, we find John Little in Elizabethtown, a purchaser of land of the proprietors.
George Little patented 100 acres in Woodbridge, 18th March, 1669, and John Little, of Elizabethtown, obtained "a warrant; survey, and patent for 134 acres of land bounded on Staten Island Sound, or Great River," of the New Jersey proprietors, dated the 9th day of December, 1676.
John Little, as one of the freeholders of Elizabethtown, also obtained lot No. 6 of Corson's survey of the Elizabethtown lots above the first mountain, containing 196 acres, adjoining and lying directly north of Peter Willcocks's 400-acre tract, surveyed 6th January, 1736-7.
I have assumed that John Little, the son of George Little, is the ancestor of the large number of the descendants of Samuel Little in New Jersey. One fact I will adduce as almost cunclusive evidence of it. It is the similarity of names in their descendants.
NOTE.-The Rev. Mr. Hunting, in his general history of Westfield, says that Andrew, Anthony, Abraham, Absalom, Moses, and John Littell, resided at the Willow Grove, in Westfield.
JOHN LITTLE, (son of George,) was most probably the father of SAMUEL LITTELL, of Essex county, who was born about the year 178O, and married Lydia Bound, and had children :
4. Samuel, Jun., it is said, died a bachelor.
7. Benjamin married Susan Tucker, of Elizabethtown.
8. Daniel married Miss Acorn.
9. David married Susannah Craig, daughter of Alderman Andrew Craig. [See Craig.]
14. Nathaniel ; and two others, who died young.
I have not ascertained with certainty whether Anthony Littell was son or brother of Samuel Littell, or whether the Andrew Littell, the father of Polly, William, and Ephraim, was son of John or of Anthony. This I remember, that the families of Andrew and Doct. Anthony Littell, both claimed kindred with the family of David Littell, son of Samuel.
ANDREW LITTELL, a grandson of Samuel, and I suppose, from his age, son of John Litteil the eldest son of Samuel, he having died in 1784, an old man. His wife's name was Molly, who lived several years a widow, and died a very old woman ; or he may have been a son of Anthony Littell, who was probably a son or brother of Samuel. They lived in Stony Hill Valley, where James Bryson now lives.
They had five children, Polly, William, Ephraim, Sophia, and Temperance.
1. Polly married Zachariah Sickle, 30th October, 1763, and had children : 1. Huldah Sickle.2. Elias Sickle. 3. Sarah Sickle. 4. David Sickle. 5. Zachariah.Sickle, Jun.
2. William married, 1st, Sarah Baker, 23d July, 1769, daughter of Thomas Baker, Jun. ; 2d, Sarah Drake, daughter of Andrew Drake. He removed to Sussex, and had children : 1. Mary, who married Henry Ayers, of Sussex, and had children : 1. John Ayers. 2. William Ayers.
2. Levi married Betsey Clark, of Sussex, and had a daughter, Sarah, who married William Barkman, and had children : 1. Levi Barkman ; 2. Anne Barkman.
3. Andrew Littell, (3d child of William, son of Andrew, son of John Littell,) married Eve Snyder, of Sussex, and had children: 1. William, who married Christine McCurdy. 2. Joseph, who married _____. 3. Margaret married John Coss, Jun., and had children 1. Andrew Coss ; 2. A daughter.
4. Temperance. 5. Catherine married Abraham Washer. Eliza married _____7. Caroline married Philip Simmons. 8. Mary married _____. 9. Esther married _____. 10. Amos. 11. John.
4. Amos married Catherine Wire, of Sussex, and had children :
1. Aaron, who married Betsey Harden.
2. Mary married Joseph Reed, and soon after died.
3. Clarissa married John B. Gustin.
4. Matilda married the same Joseph Reed.
5. Sally married Noadiah Shannon, and went to the lakes, N. Y.
3. Ephraim Littell, (son of Andrew, son of John Littell,) married _____, in New England, and went to Ohio. He had a son, Elias, who married Rebecca Mulford, daughter of Caleb, son of Job. [See Job Mulford.]
4.. Temperance married Joseph Valentine, son of Jonathan, and went to Ohio.
5. Sophia, who married, 25th June, 1775, Asa Frazee, son of Joseph Frazee, of Connecticut Farms. [See Joseph and Asa Frazee.]
ANTHONY LITTELL lived at the head spring of the west branch of Green Brook, in Stony Hill Valley. In looking over old deeds, one was found, dated 20th May, 1708, from Henry Norris, and Joanna, his wife, to Anthony Littell, for a first lot-right of land, formerly of Benjamin Homan, conveyed by said Homan to Henry Norris, and by Henry Norris, of the first part, to Anthony Littell.
Another conveyance intended to convey a moiety or half part of that 100-acre lot, No. 88 additional, taken up on the right of Joseph Thompson, son of Aaron Thompson, from Absalom Littell, millwright, to Andrew Littell, weaver, dated Feb. 1st, 1743-4, Lot No. 8S. additional lies at the head of the west branch of Green Brook. Also a quit-claim from Abraham Littell, carpenter, and Andrew Littell, weaver, to Absalom Littell, millwright, dated April 2d, 1843, for a lot of land, &c., devised to said Abraham Littell and Andrew Littell, parties of the first part, by the will of their father, Anthony Littell, deceased, dated 9th Oct. 1731, excepting therefrom a certain lot of land the parties of the first part had previously conveyed to Robert Littell. This last conveyance was only executed by Abraham Littell, and was cancelled by Absalom Littell 19th Feb. 1750.
Thus it seems that Anthony Littell had sons, Abraham and Andrew, and perhaps Absalom and Robert, and may have had a son Anthony, the father of Doct. Anthony Littell, who lived where his father, Anthony Littell, lived.
DOCT. ANTHONY LITTELL lived at the head of the west branch of Green Brook. He died May, 1798. His mother died 13th Jan. 1784. Doct. Anthony Littell married Anna Maxwell, daughter of Caleb Maxwell, son of Samuel Maxwell, of Boston, and had children :
1. Caleb M. Littell, who married Mary Clark, daughter of Joshua Clark, of Westfield.
2. Elizabeth, born 22d May, 1790, who married, 14th Oct. 1848, William Hand, son of Hezekiah. [See Hand.]
3. Amos, who inherited his father's farm of 257 acres, and sold it to Ezra Miller, of Westfield. he died at 28 years, unmarried.
CALEB M. LITTELL, (son of Doct. Anthony Littell,) and Mary Clark, daughter of Joshua, . lived in New York, was a grocer, and had children:
1. Thomas Picton Littell, who married Mary Archer.
2. Anne Elizabeth married William Archer, cousin of Mary.
3. Amos Clark Littell married Emeline ____.
4. George W. Littell married Mary Aikin, daughter of John.
7. Mary Clark Littell married Mr. Briggs; he went to California, and died.
S. Sarah Anne Littell married, 5th Feb. 1851, Frederick Tappen, of New York.
Caleb M. Littell died 29th May, 1848, aged 57 years.
The widow of Doct. Anthony Littell married, 2d, Jonathan Acken, son of Deacon Joseph Acken, whose wife was Rebecea Crane, daughter of Jonathan Crane.
Jonathan and Anna Acken had children :
1. Rachel Acken, who married Ezekiel Ross, son of David, of Westfield.
2. William Acken married, 1st, Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Benjamin ; 2d, Hannah Squier, daughter of John.
3. John Acken married Margaret Vail, daughter of William, of Piscataway.
4. Sarah Anne Acken married Matthias A. Brown, of Titusville, and had children : 1. Ellen Louisa Anna Brown ; 2. Amos Littell Brown ; 3. Caroline Elmer Brown.
Mrs. Brown lives in New York, and keeps a select school for young ladies.
I will remark here that Anthony Littell may have been a brother of Samuel, and Andrew son of Anthony.
JOSEPH LITTELL, (5th child of Samuel Littell, of New Jersey,) had children :
1. John, who had children: 1. Enos was killed at the battle of Germantown, fighting by the side of his uncle Eliakim. 2. Lewis, a sea-faring man, died at sea. 3. A daughter, who married a tory, and went to the enemy.
2. Elias, who lived in Newark, and removed to Duck Creek, Pennsylvania.
3. Prudence, who died unmarried in Philadelphia, aged some 45 or 50 years.
4. Phebe, who married Elisha Parker, of Philadelphia, and had a.son, a painter, in Philadelphia, and a daughter Sarah, who married _____ and had 3 or 4 children.
5. Simeon, who died in the time of the old French war.
6. Stephen, who died about the same time.
8. Eliakim, who married, 1st, Hannah Jewel ; 2d, Mary Gillam. He distinguished himself in the war of the Revolution, and in the war with the Indians, as a partisan officer, and attained a captaincy in the army.
CAPTAIN ELIAKIM LITTELL lived on the hill called Hobart's Hill, between Chatham and Springfield, and died about 1805. By his wife Hannah Jewel, he had children :
1. Hobart, who married Matilda Ball, daughter of Doctor Stephen Ball. [See Ball.] He was born 2d March, 1767, and died 17th Jan. 1849, in Newark ; she was born 1774, and died 7th April, 1851, in Newark, aged 77 years.
2. Simeon married Susan Toy, removed from Burlington, New Jersey, to near Milton, Ohio, and had children : Eliakim, Mary, Rhoda, Fanny, and Stephen.
3. Stephen, born 3d Jan. 1772, and. married Susan Gardner, born 6th Jan. 1777, daughter of Thomas Gardner, of Burlington, whose wife was Susan Elton.
4. Hannah, who died young.
And by his 2d wife, Mary Gillam, he had children :
5. Eliakim, who died at S years.
6. Squier, born 1st Dec. 1776, became a physician, went to Butler county, Ohio, and had a large practice. He was also a justice of the peace, and judge of the court. He married Mary Pearce, daughter of Michael Pearce, formerly of Scotch Plains, but went to Ohio about 1800. Doct. Littell had no children, and died 16th Nov. 1849.
HOBART LITTELL, (1st child of Capt. Eliakim, son of Joseph.) and Matilda Ball, had children :
1. Mariah Seabury, who married Morris Christy, son of Capt. a Thomas Christy, of Newark, and died without children.
2. Sarah, who lives in Newark.
3. Elizabeth married Richmond Ward, of Newark, and lives there ; has but one son, Mortimer Seabring Ward.
STEPHEN LITTELL, (3d child of Capt. Eliakim Littell,) and Susan Gardner, were married 24th March, 1796. She died 15th March, 1813. He died 6th June, 1818. They removed from Burlington, N. J., in 1806 to Philadelphia, and had children:
1. Eliakirn, born 2d Jan. 1797, married 12th Feb. 1828, Mary Frazee Smith, born 25th Oct. 18O0, daughter of John and Mary Anne Smith, and sister of Gen. Persifor F. Stnith, first governor of California, under the U. S. government. Gen. Smith's mother was daughter of Col. Persifor Frazee, of Chester county, Pennsylvania.
2. Susan Elton, born 22d March, 1799, and went to Ohio, and there married in 1821, James Urmston, had five children, and died 7th August, 1837.
3. Squier, born 9th Dec. 1803, graduated in Philadelphia, and studied physic. He married, about 1834, Mary Graff Emlin, daughter of Caleb Emlin, of Philadelphia; he died in 1838, leaving two children : 1. Rosalie, born 1833, and 2. Emlin, 1838. He went to his uncle Squier, in Ohio, and practised physic with him.
4. John Stockton, born 11 th April, 1806, married, 1832, Susan Sophia Morris, daughter of Luke Morris and Anne Willing, of Philadelphia. He published the "Law Library," in Philadelphia, some years. He subsequently removed to Germantown, Penn., retired from business.
ELIAKIM LITTELL, (1st son of Stephen, son of Capt. Eliakim,) and Mary Frazee Smith, lived in Philadelphia, and Germantown, till 1844. He published for 20 years "The Museum of Foreign Literature," and then removed to Boston, Mass., and is publishing "Littell 's Living Age," a weekly magazine. They had children :
1. Susan Gardner, born 8th January, 1830.
2. Robert Smith, born 5th May. 1831.
3. Mary Frazee, born 12th December, 1834.
4. Margaret Smith, born 30th November, 1837.
SUSAN ELTON LITTELL, (2d child of Stephen,) and John Urmston, in Ohio, had children:
1. Caroline Elton Urmston, born 1821, married Jacobs Beard.
2. Eliakim Littell Urmston, born 1825.
3. Stephen Littell Urmston, born 1829.
4. Mary Enyart Urmston.
5. John Newton Urmston.
Mrs. Urmston died in 1837, and he married Anna Pearce, and live near Philanthropy, Ohio.
JOHN STOCKTON LITTELL, (4th child of Stephen,) and Susan Sophia Morris, had children :
1. Charles Walling, born 1832 ; 2. Harriet Hare ; 3. Thomas Gardner ; 4. Meta Morris, who died 1848.
BENJAMIN LITTELL, ( 7th child of Samuel, lst,) and Susan Tucker, lived in Westfield, on the farm on which his grandson, John Littell, now lives ; they had children :
1. Moses, who married Abigail Thompson, 5th child of Thomas Thompson, of Connecticut Farms, had 4 children, Hannah, Mary, Isaac and Betsey. He died 9th October: 1773, aged 35 years.
2. Isaac, born 10th March, 1764, married Jemima Frazee, daughter of Gershom ; had 3 children : Jemima, Susannah, and Benjamin.
3. John married Phebe Thompson, 8th child of Thomas Thompson ; had 6 children : Gershom, Sarah, Abigail, Moses, John, and Isaac. He died 1st April, 1781, in his 35th year, and his widow married Benjamin Frazee, son of Samuel Frazee and Sarah Littell.
4. Sarah married, 1st, Samuel Frazee, by whom she had 4 children : Benjamin, Jonas, Betsey and Samuel Frazee ; 2d Benjamin Sayre, by whom she had 3 children : Sarah, Mary, and Moses Sayre.
5. Susan married William Ridgeway, and had 3 or more children : Rachel Rouse, John, and Phebe Ridgeway.
6. Mary married Thomas Terry, of Westfield ; she died 21st January, 1768, in her 17th year, and left a daughter, Mary Terry, who marrried Moses Frazee, born about 1768.
MOSES LITTELL, (1st child of Benjamin, 7th son of Samuel,) and Abigail Thompson, had children :
1. Hannah, born 15th November, 1759, married James Lambert. [See Lambert.]
2. Mary, born 13th March, 1762, married Jacob Davis. [See Davis.]
3. Isaac, (called Capt. Isaac,) born 10th March, 1764, and married Hannah Frazee, born 20th May, 1766, daughter of Jonas Frazee, (who was brother of Samuel Frazee, who married Sarah Littell.) He died 25th February, 1825 ; his widow died 16th February, 1834.
4. Betsey married Talmage Ross, son of Ichabod, son of John Ross ; they removed to Ohio, about 12 miles N. E. of Chilicothe. [See Ross.]
CAPTAIN ISAAC LITTELL, (son of Moses,) and Hannah Frazee, lived in Union Township, and had 6 children:
1. Jonas Frazee Littell ; born 27th April, 178_, married Susan Halsey, daughter of Joseph Halsey, of Springfield, lived in Elizabethtown, and had 4 children :
1. Louisa, born 17th September, 1809, married William P. Denman, and had 5 children:
1. Charles Wallis Denman, born. January, 1835.
2. George Henry Denman, born January, 1838.
3. William Denman, born June, 1840.
4. Hannah Louisa Denman, born April, 1842.
5. Edward Denman, born May, 1846.
2. Isaac, born 8th December, 1810, married, 1st, Emeline Slawson ; had a son, George Washington, born 11th March, 1836.
His wife Emeline then died, and he married, 2d, Adaline Gibson, and had children :
2. Harriet Arnfeldt, born 18th March, 1844.
3. Emeline Littell, born 18th November, 1846.
3. Hannah Eliza, born 25th November, 1814, married William Perrigo, son of William Perrigo, ,and had a daughter, 1. Susan Louisa Perrigo, born 2d March, 1814.
4. George Washington, born 4th July, 1817, married Catherine Slawson ;live in Providence, Rhode Island, and had children: 1. William, born October, 1841 ; 2. George, born February, 1848.
2. Abby Littell, (2d child of Capt. Isaaa Littell,) born 20th July, 1787, and died 4th November, 1825. She married Ephraim Bolles, of Newark, and had 7 children:
1. Hannah Elizabeth Bolles, born 1808, married Moses G. Baldwin, and had children 1. Helen Baldwin, born 1834. 2. Elizabeth Baldwin. 3. William Baldwin.
2. Eliakim Bolles, born about 1811, married Mary Tucker, daughter of Gideon Tucker, of N. Y., and had children: 1. William Bolles ; 2. _____, a daughter ; 3. Abby Bolles ; 4 and 5, twin daughters.
3. Mary Frances Bolles married Rev. James Bolles.
4. Jesse Nicholson Bolles married ______.
5. Constance Bolles married Mr. Redfield, a lawyer ; lived in western N. Y.
6. Alexander Bolles.
7. Nathan T. Bolles married, 8th May, 1350, Mary Matilda Burnet, eldest daughter of Lewis M. Burnet, of Newark.
3. Moses Littell, (3d child of Captain Isaac Littell, son of Moses,) born 2d June, 1789, became a physician, went to Opelousas, Louisiana, married Constance Collins, had 6 children, and died 4th November, 1837; one of them named Theophilus Collins Littell.
4. Eliahim Littell, (4th child of Captain Isaac Littell) born 11th July, 1791, married. 1st. Anne Findley, in the West Indies, removed to Opelousas, where his wile died, leaving 3 children : 1. David Findley Littell, born 1821. 2. Hart Littell. 3. Louisa Littell, who married Mr. Mudd.
Eliaki in Littell then married, 2d, Henrietta Wagerhecker, and had children : 4. Augustus Littell. 5. Mary or Elizabeth Littell.
5. Mary Littell, (5th child of Capt. Isaac Littell,) born 15th July, 1799, married Henry Hodge of N. Y., and had children: 1. Hannah Hodge, born 1818 or 1819, married Elisha Phinney, son of Gould Phinney, of Dundaff, Pennsylvania, and had children : 1. Mary Phinney ; 2. Robert Phinney.; 2. Henry Hodge.
6. Isaac William Littell, (6th child of Captain Isaac Littell,) born 20th October, 1807, and died 22d May, 1837 ; he married Mary Crane. daughter of Esther, who was daughter of. Benjamin, son of Benjamin Crane of Westfield, and had children; 1. Mary H., born 4th December, 1829. 2. William, born 8th August, 1831. 3. Theodore, born 1st January, 1834. 4. Sarah, born 14th December, 1835.
ISAAC LITTELL, (2d son of Benjamin Littell, son of Samuel, 1 st,) and Jemima Frazee, had 6 children ; viz.: Jemima, Susannah, Benjamin, Abby, Desire, and Sarah.
1. Jemima, who married David Mills, of Westfield, and removed to Sterlings Valley, in Morris county, and had children : 1. Moses Mills, who married _____, a daughter of Daniel Terril, of Rahway.
2. Gershom Mills married Silence Jones, daughter of Luther of New Providence, and had children : 1. Harriet Mills, who married Abraham Demerest, of N. Y. ; 2. Luther Mills ; 3. Isaac Mills; 4. Aaron Mills.
3. Aaron Mills.
4. Abigail Mills.
5. Benjamin Mills.
2. Susannah, (2d child of Isaac Littell,) married Jeremiah Jenkins, and had several children, one of whom was Jeremia , Jun.
3. Benjamin, (3d child of Isaac Littell,) was a schoolmaster called Master Ben. Littell ; he married Catherine Littell, daughter of Daniel, 8th son of Samuel, 1st, and had children: 1 . Jemima, who married Moses Whitehead ; 2. Sophia, married Charles Whitehead, brother of Moses ; 3. Moses S. married Nancy French, daughter of David French. Sen. ; 4. Rebecca. ; 5. Isaac D. ; 6. Sally. 7. Abby married Joseph L. Cory, son of Noah, of Scotch Plains, and went to Indiana.
NOTE.--Moses S., Rebecca, Isaac D., and Sally went to French Creek.
4. Abby Littell, (4th child of Isaac Littell,) married Henry Burnet, and removed to Redstone, in Western Pennsylvania.
5. Desire Littell, (5th child of Isaac Littell,) married Elijah Davis, and removed to Shamokin, Pennsylvania.
6. Sarah Littell, (6th child of Isaac Littell,) married Thomas Lee, and died, leaving one son, Gershom Lee, who married Sarah Hetfield, daughter of Daniel, who died, leaving his widow, Sarah, and two sons : 1. Frazee Lee ; 2 Daniel Lee.
JOHN LITTELL, (3d son of Benjamin, son of Samuel 1st) and Phebe Thompson, (8th child of Thomas,) had 6 children ;
1. Gershom, born 21st December, 1766, married, 25th Febcruary, 1788, Phebe Terry, daughter of Thomas Terry, they had 13 children. (She still lives, 1850.)
2. Sarah married Joseph Sayre, lived in Westfield ; had 9 children.
3. Abigail, born 15th March, 1771, married, 28th February, 1793, Ebenezer Ludlow, born 13th January, 1770, son of Matthias Ludlow, of Westfield ; he died in N. Y., 23d December, 1833.
4. Moses married Betsey Terry, sister of Gershom's wife, who, after the death of Moses, went to Fulton county, Illinois, and died there, 19th April, 1843 ; they had 3 children.
5. John, born 29th November, 1774, married Deborah Dunham, born 19th August, 1779, a daughter of David Dunham and Freelove Decamp, (who was a daughter of John Decamp, and sister of Doctor Gideon Decamp.) They had 6 children.
6. Isaac married, 1st, Mary Ludlum, (now Ludow,) a daughter of William Ludlow, and brother of Matthias Ludlow, and had 4 children. He married, 2d, Rebecca McLane, of Staten Island, and had 2 other children.
GERSHOM LITTELL, (1st child of John Littell, son of Benjamin,) and Phebe Terry, lived in Westfield, and had children:
1. Sarah, born 11th September, 1789, married Hezekiah Pack, and died January, 1811 ; had no children.
2. Hannah, born 6th May, 1791, and died 3d September, 1828, and left one son, John Osborn, who married, 1st, Harriet Stites, daughter of Benjamin L. Stites, and died, leaving 2 children : 1. Benjamin Franklin Osborn ; 2. Mary Stites .
Osborn. John Osborn married, 2d, Elizabeth Anne Peck, a widow, and died; had no other children.
3. Elizabeth, born 25th August, 1792, married William Marsh ; she died 25th October, 1826, leaving 8 children:
1. Miriam Marsh, born 5th March, 1809.
2. Charles Volney Marsh, born July, 1812, married Catherine Storms, and had children : 1. Edward Marsh ; 2. Julia Marsh.
3. Eliza Marsh, born 18th August, 1815, married William Noe, and had children : 1. William Harrison Noe, born 1841 ; 2. Anne Elizabeth Noe, born 1846.
4. William Henry Harrison Marsh, twin to Eliza, went to Chicago.
5. David Marsh, born March, 1820, married Anne Conley.
6. Phebe Marsh.
7. Hannah Marsh.
8. Philetta Marsh, who died 7th October, 1848, aged 23 years, unmarried.
4. Thomas Terry Littell, born 28th June, 1794, married Mary Moore, of Woodbridge; and had 10 children:
1. Phebe, born 1820, married William Clawson.
2. William Moore Littell born 1822, married Elizabeth Hulse, and had a son, Thomas.
3: Margaret, born 1824, married Shotwell Frazee, and had children :. 1. Mary Frazee, born 1847 ; 2. Phebe Frazee.
4. Marietta married Squier Wilcox, eon of Benjamin Willcox, Jun. [See Willcox.]
5. John, born 1829.
6. Joseph, born 1831.
7. Agnes, born 1833.
8. Rachel, born 1836.
9. Althea, born 1839.
10. Abby, born 1842.
5. Abigail, born 6th May, 1796, married John Peny, who died in 1826 ; left children :
1. Sarah Peny, born about 1822, married William Baldwin.
2. Joseph Peny, born 1825.
Mrs. Abigail Peny died 7th May, 1847.
6. Mary, born 27th April, 1798.
7. Philetta, born 20th May, 1800, married John Moore of Woodbridge, who was drowned in New York Bay, in 11824, and left one child: 1. Mary Moore, born about 1822, and married Joseph Hotton.
8. John, born 28th October, 1802, married Susan Webster, and died 26th January, 1825; left no children.
9. Carman, born 24th September, 1804, and died 23d September, 1822, unmarried.
10. Susan, born 3d October, 1806, married Abraham Denman, of Springfield, and had children: 1. Almira Denman, born 1833. 2. Carman Denman, born 1836. 3. Hannah Denman, born 1841.
11. Gershom, Jun., born 5th July, 1808, and died 30th August, 1808.
12. Moses, born 1st September, 1809, married Magdalen Storms, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and had children : 1. Anna Sanford, born about 1841. 2. Gershon], born 1844.
13. Gershom, Jun., (2d,) born 4th June, 1812, married Anne Stites, daughter of Henry, of Scotch Plains, and had children: 1. Henry Stites Littell, born 1839. 2. Theresa Littell, born 1844.
SARAH LITTELL, (2d child of John Littell, son of Benjamin,) and Joseph Sayre, had children :
1. Abigail Sayre, who married, 1st, Isaac Acken, and had one child, who died young. Mr. Acken died, and she married, 2d, Hezekiah Pack, and had 4 children.
2. Rhoda Sayre, who married Thomas Terrill, son of Enoch of Scotch Plains ; had 11 children, or more.
3. John Sayre married Catherine Thorp, daughter of James and Sarah Thorp, of Woodbridge ; had many children.
4. Daniel Sayre married, and went to Crawford county, Pennsylvania.
5. Sarah Sayre married Archer Miller, son of Lewis, of Westfield, and had 5 children.
6. Isaac Sayre, who died at about 23 years, unmarried.
7. Hannah Sayre married John Burliew, of Rahway, and had 5 children.
8. Betsey Sayre married Elias T. Higgins of Rahway, and had 3 children.
9. Mary Sayre married James Tailor, of New York, a cartman ; had no children.
Abigail Sayre, and Hezekiah Pack, had children :
1. Joseph Sayre Pack, who married in New York.
2. Hiram Pack married in New York.
3. Abby Pack married Mr. Trump.
4. Sarah Pack married Levi Shattuck, now an agent of the Central Rail Road, N. J.
Rhoda Sayre, and Thomas Terrill, removed to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and had many children :
1. Arabella Terrill ; 2. Sarah Terrill ; 3. John Terrill ; 4. Albert Terrill ; 5. Halsey Terrill 6. Erastus Terrill ; 7. Enoch Terrill ; 8. ____; 9. Thomas Terrill ; 10. Mary Terrill ; 11. Eliza Terrill ; and perhaps more.
John Sayre, and Catherine Thorp, removed to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and had many children ; among them are John Sayre and Susan Sayre.
Sarah Sayre, and Archer Miller, lived in Rahway, and had children :
1. Margaret Miller, who married Hiram Brooks, and had children : 1. John Brooks ; 2. Mary Brooks.
2. Sarah Miller married Thomas Lawrence, and had children :1. Franklin Lawrence ; 2. Mary Lawrence.
3. Isaac Miller.
4. Mary Miller, who died young.
5. William Miller.
Hannah Sayre, and John Burliew, had children :
1. Alexander Burliew ; 2. Mary Burliew ; 3. Sarah Burliew ; 4. John Burliew ; 5. ----, a daughter. Mrs. Burliew then died.
Betsey Sayre, and Elias Higgins, had children :
1: Isaac Higgins.
2. Mary Higgins, who married John T. Conklin, son of Stephen, of Somerville. [See Conklin.]
3. Jane Higgins.
ABIGAIL LITTELL, (3d child of John Littell, son of Benjamin,) and Ebenezer Ludlow, of Westfield, had children :
1. Phebe Ludlow, born 13th Jan. 1794, married, 24th July, 1815, Samuel Whitlock, of New York, and lives there. He was son of Capt. William Whitlock.
2. Mary Ross Ludlow, born 24th March, 1796, married, Nov. 1815, to Jacob M. Vreland ; lives in New York ; has no children.
3. Sarah Ludlow, born 23d Jan. 1798, and died at about 8 years.
4. Matthias Ludlow born 23d Oct. 1801, married, April, 1836, Sarah Anne Todd, and lives on Long Island ; has 3 children.
5. Eliza Ludlow, born 23d Oct. 1805, married, June, 1823, Jacob Day, a locksmith, of New York. She died, leaving 3 children.
6. Abby Ludlow, born 14th April, 1809, married, 25th Dec. 1829, Peter Rogers, from Scotland; lives in Philadelphia, and has 8 children.
Mr. Ebenezer Ludlow vvas born 13th Jan. 1770, and died in New York, 23d Dec. 1833.
Phebe Ludlow, (daughter of Abigail Littell and .Ebenezer Ludlow,) and Samuel Whitlock, had 8 children:
1. Samuel S. Whitlock, born 5th Feb. 1817, married, Feb. 1838, Esther Nixon, and had children : 1. Jennette Blair Whitlock, born 2d Nov. 1840 ; 2. Phebe Anne Whitlock, born 28th March, 1844; 3. William Whitlock, born July, 1846.
2. William, Whitlock, born 6th June, 1819, is a merchant in New Orleans.
3. Matthias Ludlow Whitlock, born 5th Oct. 1820, married Lucy Chew, of Brooklyn, in 1848 ; has gone to reside in Havre, France.
4. Catherine Eliza Whitlock, born 5th Sept. 1821, married, 11th Aug. 1846, Daniel Denice Conover, of New Jersey; he is now a flour-merchant in New York. They have children : 1. Augustus Whitlock Conover, born 8th April, 1848.
5. George W. Whitlock, born 28th June, 1824, went to San Francisco in 1846.
6. Daniel Bonnett Whitlock born 25th April, 1828.
7. Mary Ross Whitlock, born 23d Aug. 1831.
8. Pamela Wigton Whitlock, born 16th Nov. 1833.
Matthias Ludlow, (son of Abigail Littell and Ebenezer Ludlow,) and Sarah Anne Todd, lived on Long Island, and had children:
1. Sarah Ludlow, born Nov. 1837.
2. Eliza Day Ludlow.
3. William Todd Ludlow.
Eliza Ludlow, and Jacob Day, had children:
1. Jacob Gardner Day, born 9th June, 1824.
2. Isaac Day, who died in Oct. 1846, aged 16 years.
3. John Day, born 15th March, 1833.
Abby Ludlow, and Peter Rogers, in Philadelphia, had children :
1. Peter Wallace Rogers, born 22d Sept. 1830.
3. Walter Rogers.
2. Abigail Marion Rogers, born 1832.
4. James Rogers.
5. Jacob Day Rogers.
G. George Cadwallader Rogers.
7. William Ludlow Rogers.
8. Julia Anne Rogers.
MOSES LITTELL, (4th child of John Littell, son of Benjamin,) and Betsey Terry, had 3 children :
1. William Littell, who married, 1st, Sarah Dunham, daughter of Joseph, of Westfield ; removed to Cincinnati ; had 2 children : 1. Asa, who married _____ ; 2. Eliza married _____. His wife Sarah then died, and he married, 2d, Sarah Legge, who bore him 2 daughters, twins, viz. : 3. Catherine, who married _____ ; 4. Caroline, who married _____.
2. Freeman Morris Littell, who married Charlotte F. Randolph, daughter of Benjamin F. Randolph, and died in Newark, 9th Mar. 1841, leaving children : 1. William ; 2. Juliette, who died in 1848.
3. Charlotte Littell, who married Benjamin Williams Crane, son of Stephen Crane, of Westfield ; removed to Fulton county, Illinois, and had 4 sons.
JOHN LITTELL, (5th child of John Littell, son of Benjamin,) and Deborah Dunham, lived where his grandfather Benjamin did, and had children :
1. Freelove, born 29th April, 1804, married Simeon Lambert, son of James. [See Lambert.]
2. Thompson, born 20th Dec. 1806, married, in Mobile, Anne Collins, a native of New Jersey. He is in mercantile business at Milwaukie, Wisconsan ; has no children.
3. Elizabeth, born 23d Aug. 1808.
4. Sarah, born 4th June, 1813, and died 6th July, 1823.
5. Isaac, born 19th Jan. 1816, married Phebe Radley, daughter of Benjamin Radley and Hannah Lambert, and had children : 1. Norman Leslie Littell, born 10th Dec. 1839 ; 2. Courtland Baker Littell, born 19th Sept. 1841; 3. Augusta Littell, born 3d Oct. 1844 ; 4. George M. Dallas Littell, born 27th June, 1847.
6. Eliakim, born 29th May, 1819, and died 25th Oct. following.
ISAAC LITTELL, (6th child of John Littell and Phebe Thompson), and his 1st wife, Mary Ludlow, had children :
1. Margaret, who married Rev. Erastus Nichols, lived in Clinton, Michigan ; had no children.
2. William married Susan Jane Randolph, of New York ; removed to Mobile, where he died, leaving one child, William Randolph Littell.
3. John went to Mobile, and died unmarried.
4. Mary married Stephen Woods, of New York ; had no children.
By his 2d wife, Rebecca McLane, Isaac Littell had children :
5. Anne Mariah, who married Mr. Oakes, and went to Nova Scotia.
6. Cornelia, who lives with her mother in New York.
SARAH LITTELL, (4th child of Benjamin Littell and Susan Tucker,) and Samuel Frazee, had 4 children:
NOTE-This Samuel Frazee was brother of Jonas Frazee, the father of Hannah, wife of Capt. Isaac Littell, 3d son of Moses, son of Benjamin.
1. Benjamin Frazee, who married Phebe (Thompson) widow of John Littell, son of Benjamin, and had a son, Carman Frazee, who went to Mobile, married, and died there, leaving one son, Carman Frazee.
2. Jonas Frazee married Nancy Corwin, daughter of Stephen, Corwin, and went to Ohio.
3. Betsey Frazee had 3 husbands, but no children ;
1st, Simeon F. Randolph ;
2d, The Hon. Charles Clark ;
3d. Doct. Philemon Elmer. [See Elmer.]
4. Samuel Frazee, Jun., married Letitia Squier.
Samuel Frazee died, and. his widow, Sarah. Littell, married Benjamin Sayre, and had 3 other children :
5. Sarah Sayre, who married Eliakim Cory, son of Daniel, removed to Ballston, New York.
6. Mary Sayre married _____.
7. Moses Sayre.
Samuel Frazee, Jun., (4th child of Samuel Frazee and Sarah Littell,) and Letitia Squier, lived in Westfield, and had children:
1. Eliza Frazee, who married Samuel Cory, son of Benjamin, of Westfield.
2. Squier Frazee, who went to Ohio, and married there.
3. Simeon Frazee, who lives in Westfield, unmarried.
4. Moses Frazee, who went to Mobile, and died there, unmarried.
5. Sarah Frazee married Francis Pease ; lives in Westfield ; has no children.
SUSAN LITTELL, (5th child of Benjamin Littell and Susan Tucker,) and William Ridgeway, had children :
1. Rachel Rouse Ridgeway, who married Noah Ludlum, son of Cornelius Ludlum and Mary Ross, daughter of John Ross. [See Ross.]
2. John Ridgeway.
3. Phebe Ridgeway.
Rachel R. Ridgeway, and Noah Ludlum, had children :
1. Eliakim Ludlow, .who married, 5th Sept. 1813; Polly Walker, daughter of Asher. [See Walker.]
2. Henry Ludlow.
Eliakiaa Ludlow, and Polly Walker, had children :
1. Emeline Ludlow.
2. Phebe, who married Alonzo Johnson.
3. Jane married Isaac Egbert; and had a son, William Henry Ludlow Egbert.
4, William, who went to Cincinnati, Ohio.
MARY LITTELL, (6th child of Benjamin Littell and Susan Tucker,) and Thomas Terry, had one child, Mary Terry, and died. Mary Terry married Moses Frazee, and had 6 children:
1. John Frazee, who died at about 18 years.
2. Sarah Frazee, who married Moses Frazee, son of Gershom Frazee.
3. Mary Frazee married Moses Ross, son of Talmage Ross ; lives in Ohio.
4. Catherine Frazee married, 1st, Abraham Woodruff, son of Jonathan, at the Two Bridges ; 2d, Noe Clarkson, of Woodbridge.
5. Phebe Frazee married Jeremiah Newman.
6. Susan Frazee married Samuel Lee, son of Thomas Lee.
Mr. Moses Frazee lately died, over 80 years of age.
Sarah Frazee, (daughter of Mary Terry, daughter of Mary Littell and Thomas Terry,) and Moses Frazee, son of Gershom Frazee, had children:
1. John.W. Frazee, who married Mary Rogers, daughter of John Rogers, lives at Plainfield, and had children : 1. Smith Frazee ; 2. George Frazee ; 3. Amanda Malvina Fitz Allen Frazee ; 4. Sarah Elizabeth Frazee.
2. Gershom Frazee.
3. Moses Frazee, who married _____ , went to Ohio, and had children : 1. Sarah Elizabeth Frazee ; 2. William Henry Frazee.
4. Abraham Frazee married _____ , and went to Illinois.
5. Matthias Frazee married Harriet Laing, daughter of Benjamin, son of John Laing, and had children : 1. Sarah Frances Frazee ; 2. Mary Margaret Frazee.
6. Margaret Frazee married Frazee Terry, son of Thomas Terry.
7. Phebe Frazee.
8. Mary Catherine Frazee.
Mary Frazee, (daughter of Mary Terry, daughter of Mary Littell and Thomas Terry,) and Moses Ross, son of Talmage Ross, had children :
1. Pamelia Ross, who married James Gay, and has 5 children.
2. Jacob Davis Ross married _____ , and has 2 children.
3. Frazee Ross married _____, and has 2 children.
4. Talmage Ross.
5. John Ross.
6. Resin Ross.
7. Abby Eliza Ross married _____.
8. James Ross.
9. William Ross.
Catherine Frazee, (daughter of Mary Terry, daughter of Mary Littell and Thomas Terry,) and Abraham Woodruff, had children :
1. Jonathan Woodruff, who married Anne Stanbury, daughter of Joshua.
2. Samuel Woodruff married Martha Thom, of Plainfield.
3. Mary Woodruff married William Rogers, son of John, and died without children.
And by her 2d husband, Noe Clarkson, had other children :
4. Ephraim Clarkson.
5. Phebe Clarkson.
6. Ellen Clarkson.
7. Susan Lee Clarkson.
8. Sarah Clarkson.
Jonathan Woodruff, (son of Abraham Woodruff, and Catherine Frazee,) and Anne Stanbury, had children : 1. Abraham Woodruff; 2. Susan Ellen Woodruff.
Samuel Woodruff, (son of Abraham,) and Martha Thom, had children : 1. Samuel Ross Woodruff; 2. Eupheme Catherine Woodruff.
Phebe Frazee, (daughter of Mary Terry, daughter of Mary Littell and Thomas Terry,) and Jeremiah Newman, had children :
1. Clementina Newman, who married Morris Force, now deceased.
2. Mary Newman married Ezra Hand, son of John Meeker Hand, and had children: 1. Phebe Hand ; 2. John Meeker Hand.
3. T homas Newman, who went to Missouri.
4. John Newman married Susan Lambert, daughter of Enoch and had children : 1. Mary Anne Newman 2. ____.
5. Susan Newman married John Boylan, and had children: 1. Jesse Boylan ; 2. Jonathan Boylan.
6. Jesse Newman, who lives in Brooklyn.
Susan Frazee, (daughter of Mary Terry, daughter of Mary Littell and Thomas Terry,) and Samuel Lee, had children :
1. Frazee Lee, born 26th March, 1823, married Mary Hetfield, daughter of Isaac, son of Zophar.
2. Anne Lee, born 7th Jan. 1830, married Aaron Hetfield, brother of Frazee's wife.
8. Thomas Lee, born 14th Nov. 1832.
DANIEL LITTELL, (8th child of Samuel Littell, 1st,) had children:
1. James, who died a soldier in the Revolutionary war, unmarried.
2. Robert, who married Rebecca Casad, daughter of William ; lived at, and kept the Blueball Tavern, in Washington Valley, and subsequently removed to Sterling Valley, and died there, an old man.
3. Polly married Capt. Samuel Stanbury, and lived on Long Hill. He.was brother of Col. Recompense and Capt. Jacob Stanbury, of Scotch Plains.
4. Abby married Charles Munroe ; lived in Wyoming, Penn., and had children, Amos Munroe and Sarah Munroe.
5. Catherine married Master Ben. Littell, son of Isaac, son of Benjamia.
6. Martha married Thomas Perry, of Sussex county, and lived there, and had children : 1. Daniel Perry, who married his cousin Esther, 6th child of Robert, and widow of Thomas Roland ; 2. Joseph Perry married, 1st, Sally Martin ; 2. his cousin Elizabeth, daughter of Robert, and widow of Edmund Chamberlain.
ROBERT LITTELL, (son of Daniel,) and Rebecca Casad, had children :
1. Patty, who married Abraham Hathaway, son of Jacob, above New Vernon.
2. James went to sea, and did not return.
3. Catherine married William Sheldon, of Sussex county, and lived there. I know nothing of their descendants.
4. Sarah, born 10th March, 1779, married, 1st, Thomas Martin, from Ireland ; Alexander Clark Blair.
5. Elizabeth married, 1st, Edmund Chamberlain, of Sussex county, and lived there; 2d, her cousin Joseph Perry, son of Thomas.
6. Esther, who married, 1st, Thomas Roland ; he died, and she married, 2d, her cousin, Daniel Perry, son of Thomas.
7. Eunice married John Rose, of Sussex county, son of Jacob.
8. John Robert married Patty Totten, daughter of David Totten, Sen., and removed to tho lakes, New York.
9. Isaac, who died at Greenbush, Nov York, a soldier in the war of 1812, aged 21 years.
10. Daniel married Mariah Hoagland, daughter of Isaac, of Newburgh, New York.
PATTY LITTELL, (1st daughter of Robert, son of Daniel,) and Abraham Hathaway, had children:
1. Elias Hathaway, who married Caroline Dewit, of Sussex Co.
2. Isaac Hathaway.
3. Rebecca Hathaway.
SARAH LITTELL., (4th daughter of Robert, son of Daniel,) and Thomas Martin, had children:
1. Robert Martin, who died at about 23 years, unmarried.
2. James Martin, who died at about 32 years, unmarried.
Sarah had no children by her 2d husband.
ELIZABETH LITTELL, (5th child of Robert, son of Daniel) and Edmund Chamberlain, had children:
1. Elias Chamberlain.
2. Phebe Chamberlain, who married Moses Kimbal.
3. Eliza. Chamberlain married Jonathan Hambel.
4. Sally Chamberlain married _____.
5. Mary Chamberlain married George Beatty.
ESTHER LITTELL, (6th child of Robert, son of Daniel,) and Thomas Roland, had children :
1. Thomas Roland, Jun., who married Phebe Babbit.
2. Eliza Roland married William McClure.
EUNICE LITTELL, (7th child of Robert, son of Daniel,) and John Rose, had children :
1. Mary Rose, who married Samuel Johnson, and died, leaving 5 children.
2. Jacob Rose married _____.
3. Andrew Rose married _____, a sister of Jacob's wife.
4. Amanda Rose married John Leporte.
5. George Rose, who died a young man, unmarried.
6. Abraham Rose.
7. Charles Rose.
8. Anthony Rose.
9. William Rose.
JOHN ROBERT LITTELL, (son of Robert, son of Daniel,) and Patty Totten, had children :
1. Eliza, who married Charles Reed, and died, leaving 2 children.
2. Sally married Moses Johnson.
3. Isaac married _____.
DANIEL LITTELL, (son of Robert, son of Daniel,) and Mariah Hoagland, had children:
1. Elmira; 2. Rebecca; 3. George.
POLLY LITTELL, (3d child of Daniel,) and Capt. Samuel Stanbury, had children :
1. Phebe Stanbury, who married Daniel Potter, son of Daniel Potter, 2d. [See Potter.]
2. Recompense Stanbury married Eunice Ogden, & daughter of John Ogden, of Monroe, and had an only child, Phebe, and went to Worthington, Ohio. His daughter Phebe married there, _____ , a physician.
3. Jonas Stanbury married Catherine Rague, daughter of Doctor John Rague, of Passaic Valley.
4. Samuel Stanbury, Jun., married, and went to Ohio.
5. John Stanbury married Mary Miller, daughter of Benjamin, of Morris county.
6: Peggy Stanbury married _____.
7. Amos Stanbury.
Captain Stanbury went to Ohio without his family. When there, be sent for his wife, who went, and took her son Amos with her.