Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
DOTY to GRIFFIN
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
JOSEPH DOTY, 1st.
Joseph Doty came from the east end of Long Island, and owned part of lot No. 39 of the Elizabethtown lots, in Stony Hill Valley, on which he lived. He married Sarah Badgley, sister of John and James Badgley, and had children :
1. Joseph, Jun., who died young.
2. George, who married Sibbe Howel.
3. John married, 1st, Sarah Potter, and 2d, Sarah Clark, daughter of Daniel Clark. [See Daniel Clark.]
4. Anthony married and had but one child, 1. William Parsons Doty, who married, 1st June, 1793, Peggy Badgley, daughter of Moses, son of Joseph Badgley. [See Badgley.]
5. Elizabeth married Jeremy Ludlow, son of Jeremiah. [See Ludlow.]
"Old Mr. Doty died 10th September, 1768," per Rev. Mr. Elmer's record.
GEORGE DOTY, (2d child of Joseph Doty, 1st), lived on Stony Hill, and owned a mill on the brook running down by Samuel M. Magie's and Israel Doty's. He and Sibbe Howel had children :
1. Joseph, 3d, who married Polly Allen, daughter of Joseph, Jun., of Washington Valley. [See Allen.]
2. George, Jun., married Nancy Cook.
3. David, who went to the lakes of New York, and married there.
4. Kezia married Stephanus Clark, son of Daniel Clark. [See Daniel Clark.]
5. Sarah married John Clark, Jun., son of Elder John Clark.
JOSEPH DOTY, 3d, (1st child of George,) lived where his grandfather, Joseph Doty, 1st, did. He and his wife, Patty Allen, had children :
1. Anthony, who married Mary Willcox, daughter of Levi.
2. Allen married Nancy Brown, daughter of John.
3. David married Sibbe Clark, daughter of John, Jun., son of Elder John Clark.
4. Sarah married Aaron Oakley, son of Thomas. (See Oakley.)
5. Aaron (Capt.) married, 15th Dec. 1811, Betsey Hedges, daughter of Gilbert, and went to Luzerne county, Pennsylvania.
6. Sibbe is unmarried.
7. Mary married Jesse F. Pitts, son of George Pitts, of Orange county, New York.
8. Martha married, 24th January, 1824, Benjamin Weed, from Massachusetts.
ANTHONY DOTY, (1st son of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Mary Willcox, had children :
1. Rachel, who married William Boyland ; lived in Newark.
2. Betsey married John Winans Hand, son of Nehemiah and has no children.
ALLEN DOTY, (2d son of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Nancy Brown, had children :
1. Anna, who married Benjamin Lacy, and had children : 1. Moses Lacy ; 2. William Lacy.
2. Rachel, who married Ephraim Howard, and removed to the west.
3. Aaron married, 1st, Rachel Quackenbush ; 2d, Ellen Medan ; 3d, _____.
4. Ellen married. 1st, Samuel Vangesen, and had children : 1. Mary Anne Vangesen; 2. William Vangesen; 3. Abby Vangesen. Her husband then died, and she married Edward Brown, and had no children by him.
7. William married Mary Simpson, daughter of William.
8. Sally married her cousin, Cornelius Titus, son of Thomas Titus, of Patterson, New Jersey.
9. Jane went to the west with her father, and married there.
10. Mary, and 11. Abraham.
CAPT. AARON DOTY, (3d son of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Betsey Hedges, had children :
1. Jane, who married Philetus Foster, born 2d October, 1810, son of Silas, of Chatham.
2. Phebe married Daniel Hedden, of Clinton.
3. Martha, born 1824, married, 1843, Smith Taylor, of Millville.
4. Sabina married John Baldwin, of Chatham, son of Moses, son of David.
JANE DOTY, (daughter of Capt. Aaron, son of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Philetus Foster, had children:
1. William, who married Hetty Clark, daughter of John R. Clark, on the first mountain.
2. Emily married Ambrose Mulford, of Green Village.
3. Sophia married Samuel Johnson, from Ireland.
4. Lucinda ; 5. Phebe Anne ; 6. Margaret ; 7. Mary ; 8. John; 9. Elizabeth ; 10. Manning ; 11. Edwin Foster.
MARY DOTY, (7th child of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Jesse F. Pitts, had children:
1. James Clark Pitts.
2. Theodore L. Pitts.
MARTHA. DOTY, (8th child of Joseph Doty, 3d,) and Benjamin Weed, had children:
1. Ira Doty Weed ; 2. Hannah Maria Weed ; 3. Marcus Hervy Weed; 4. John Wesley Weed; 5. Gideon Allen Weed; 6. Mary Elizabeth Weed; 7. Julia Anne Weed.
Joseph Doty, 3d, died 8th December, 1844, aged 93 years. His wife Patty, 13th April, 1820, 55 years. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church, from January 1808 till he died.
JOHN DOTY, (3d son of Joseph Doty, 1st,) and Sarah Potter, lived in Stony Hill Valley, near, but west of his father's house, and had children :
1. Chloe, who died 27th November, 1772, unmarried.
2 James, born 16th January, 1756, married, 29th September, 1788, Nancy Locey, daughter of Daniel Locey of Mendham.
John Doty's wife then died, and he married Sarah Clark, daughter of Daniel, and had children :
3. Daniel, born 23d March, 1765, and married, 1st, Elizabeth Potter, 2d, Betsey Crane, daughter of Joseph, and went to Middletown, Ohio, and settled there.
4. John Doty, Jun., married Phebe Cooper, of Hanover, and removed to Western New York, and from thence to Middletown, Ohio.
5. Zina went to Ohio, with his father and family, and married there.
6. Betsey married. 22d March, 1794, Stephanus Clark, Jun., and went to Ohio. [See Stephanus Clark.]
7. Jane went with her father to Ohio, and married Sam Clark, there.
8. Chloe, 2d, died 27th December, 1784.
9. Ketura, who died young.
JAMES DOTY, (2d child of John Doty,) and Nancy Locey, had children :
1. Sally, who married William Bonnel, son of Capt. Nathaniel. [See Nathaniel Bonnell.]
2. Betsey married James H. Pierson, son of Jacob Serring Pierson. [See Parsons.]
3. Israel, burn 1st July, 1794, married. 1st, Sally Noe, daughter of John ; 2d. Eliza Squier, widow of Joseph Squier, and daughter of Henry Mundy, of Rahway.
4. Phebe married Edward Hedges, son of Gilbert. [See Hedges.]
5. Jenette married Abraham Clark, son of Samuel Clark, Esq., and had an only child, James Doty Clark.
Mr. James Doty died 11th December, 1747, aged 90 years 11 months. Nancy. his wife, died 19th April, 1741, aged 74 years. Sally, their daughter, wife of William Bonnel, died 5th January, 1843, aged 54 years. Betsey, their daughter, wife of James H. Pierson, died 10th December, 1832, aged 42 years. Sally, wife of their son Israel Doty, died 3d October, 1828, aged 31 years.
ISRAEL DOTY, (3d child of James, son of John Doty,) and Sally Noe, had children:
1. James, who married Harriet Fairfield, of Boston, add live there, and had children : 1. James 2. Harriet.
2. John Noe Doughty.
3. Matthias married his cousin, Rachel Noe, daughter of Ellis Noe, and had children : 1. John Henry. 4. Israel, Jun.
DANIEL DOTY, (3d son of John, son of Joseph Doty, 1st) married, 1st, Elizabeth Potter, eldest child of Amos, son of Daniel Potter, 1st. He married, 2d, Elizabeth Crane, daughter of Joseph Crane. He left home 10th September, 1790, on an exploring tour down the Ohio river, and landed at Cincinnati 23d October, following when there were but two log-houses in that city ; one of them was occupied by Major Benjamin Stites, from the Scotch Plains, Essex county, New Jersey, the other was occupied by Capt. John S. Gano. St. Clair's defeat was on the 4th day of Nov. 1791. The Rev. Daniel Clark, from Pennsylvania, was the first minister of the gospel in that region.
Daniel Doty had no living children by his first wife. He was born 23d March, 1765, and died 8th May, 1848. He returned from Ohio to New Jersey, and married, for his 2d wife, Elizabeth Crane, and again soon removed to Ohio, and purchased a large tract of land at and about Middletown, and settled upon it. He, with his wife, Elizabeth Crane, had children:
1. Joel, born in New Jersey 9th February, 1795, and was drowned in the Miami river at 11 years old.
2. Noah, born 6th May, 1796, in Ohio, and died in his 7th year.
3. John, born 15th December, 1797, and married Peggy Jewel, daughter of John, of Middletown.
4. Daniel, born 9th August, 1799, married, 1st, Molly Burges, daughter of Anthony. He married, 2d, Catherine Crane, daughter of Joseph, son of Joseph.
5. Betsey, born 16th January, 1801, married Ambrose Doty, son of George, son of George, and had children : 1. Nancy, who died in Iowa, at 19 years ; 2. Huldah ; 3. _____.
6. Huldah, born 8th January, 1803, married John Williamson, and had children: 1. Daniel ; 2. Hendrick died at about 19 years ; 3. Joseph ; 4. Ellen ; 5. Elias ; 6. William ; 7. Mary Anne ; 8. Sarah Jane ; 9. Abner ; 10. John Henry Williamson.
7. Orpha, born 8th June, 1804, married Thomas Van Tyle, and had children : 1. Sarepta, who married Mr. Golden, and died at about 20 years, had no children.
8. Sarepta, born 16th February, 1806, married, 1st, James Jewel, brother of John's wife ; 2d, Aretas Crane, son of Joseph Crane, son of Joseph, and had children : 1. John Jewel ; 2. Albert Jewel ; and by Aretas had, 3. Joseph ; 4. Sarah ; 5. William ; 6. Elias.
9. Joseph, born 7th January, 1808, married Mary Vail, daughter of Samuel, son of Samuel, brother of Stephen Vail, the proprietor of Middletown, and had children : 1. Russel ; 2. Gilbert ; 3. Ruth Jane ; 4. Zina ; 5. Deborah ; 6. Ellen.
10. James Mier, born 8th October, 1809, married Susan Anderson, and had children : 1. Joel ; 2. Elizabeth ; 3. Ruth Anne ; 4. Elias ; 5. Daniel ; 6. Jerusha.
11. Jerusha, born 9th January, 1814, married Simeon Taylor, and had a son, George Taylor, when Mr. Taylor died.
12. Elias, born 23d June, 1815, and died in Iowa, at about 22 years. He married Pamelia Bogart, and had a son, Noah.
DANIEL DOTY, Jun., (son of Daniel,) and Mary Burge, had children :
1. Randolph, who died at 23 years ; 2. Mark ; 3. John.
And by Catherine Crane had, 4. Aretas ; 5. George ; 6. Pitman ; 7. Sarah, who died .at 4 years ; 8. Joseph ; 9. Daniel.
JOHN DOTY, (4th child of John,) and Phebe Cooper, had children :
3. John, 3d.
ZINA DOTY, (5th son of John Doty,) married Sarah Moore, daughter of Levi Moore, whose wife was Hannah Enyart, daughter of Benjamin, and brother of Rufus, [see Daniel Thompson,] and had children :
1. Electa, who died in infancy.
2. James died at 14 years.
3. Levi died at 14 months.
4. John . died at one year.
5. Elizabeth married James Daugherty, and had children : 1. Hannah Cevilla Daugherty ; 2. Aquilla Daugherty ; 3. Melissa Daugherty; 4. Sarah Daugherty ; 5. Harriet, Daugherty.
6. Mary married Robert Chapman, and had a son, Butler D. Chapman.
7. Hannah married Aquilla Daugherty, brother of James, and had children : 1. Electa Jane Daugherty ; 2. Sophronia Mariah Daugherty.
8. Noah is unmarried in 1851.
9. Sarah married William McNichols, and had children : 1. Emma McNichols ; 2. Ellen McNichols.
BETSEY DOTY, (6th child of John Doty,) and Stephanus Clark, Jun., had children :
1. John Clark, who died at 19 years.
2. Jonathan Clark married Betsey Patten, and had a son, Samuel.
3. Zina married, 1st, Sarah Clendennen, and had a son, Valentine Clark.
4. Patty married Abraham Clark, son of Jabez, son of Daniel, and had children : 1. Nancy Clark, who married Mr. Freeman : 2. Daniel Clark ; 3. Catherine Clark ; 4. Stephanus Clark ; 5. Martha Clark ; 6. Washington Clark.
5. Abraham Doty.
6. Jotham Doty.
7. Elizabeth Doty.
JANE DOTY, (7th child of John Doty,) married Samuel Clark a relative of Stephanus ; went to Illinois, and had children : 1. James Clark ; 2. Abby Clark ; 3. Sarah Clark, and others.
JOSHUA (Doty, after a time written) DOUGHTY lived at or near the mill's at the west end of Long Hill. He married Sarah Boyle, 8th child of Solomon Boyle, 1st, and had children :
1. Solomon, who married Polly Pierson, daughter of Jonathan Pierson, whose wife was Agnes Ludlow, 2d child of Col. Cornelius Ludlow, of Long Hill. Solomon Doughty was first brigadier, then major-general, of militia.
2. Margaret married Joseph Bullman, and went to Ohio.
3. Susan, who died unmarried.
GEN. SOLOMON DOUGHTY, and Poly Pierson, had children :
1. Agnes, who married Doct. John D. Jackson, of Rockaway, Morris county.
2. Joshua married Susan Southard, daughter of Col. Isaac Southard, of Somerset. He is a merchant, and president of the Somerset County Bank.
3. Betsey Pierson, born 1803, married Doct. Charles H. Jackson from Rockaway. She died 28th July, 1838, soon after she was married, and without children.
4. Sineus, who was born 1808, and died 20th October, 1832, unmarried.
5. Sarah Maria, born 13th July, 1814, and died 25th July, 1888, unmarried.
6. Eugene S, who married the widow Elizabeth Underdunk, at Somerville ; he is a lumber-merchant there ; he has children : 1. Eugene.
DOCT. JOHN D. JACKSON, and Agnes Doughty, had children:
1. Edward E., who married Miss Osborn.
2. Charlotte married Mr. Robison, son of Collin Robison, Esq., of Morristown.
3. Mary married Mr. Chandler.
4. John Jackson, a physician in Rockaway.
JOSHUA DOUGHTY, Esq., (son of Gen. Solomon Doughty,) and Susan Southard, had children:
1. Louisa ; 2. Sarah ; 3. Mary ; 4. John Rolan; 5. Joshua ; 6. Susan.
EDWARD DRAKE came from Piscataway and setted in Washington Valley. He married Molly Vail, and had children :
1. Joseph, who went to the South and married there.
2. Jeremiah married, for a 2d wife, Elizabeth Wooden, sister of Ezra.
3. Andrew married Eunice Martin, daughter of Edward.
4. Mary married Mr. Vail.
5. Caty married Ebenezer Lyon, son of Peter Lyon, of Stony Hill. [See Lyon ]
6. Sarah married William Littell, son of Andrew, and went to Sussex. [See Andrew Littell.]
JEREMIAH DRAKE, (2d son of Edward,) and his first wife, had children :
1. Jeremiah Drake, Jun.
Jeremiah Drake, by his 2d wife, Elizabeth Wooden, had children:
5. Peter, who went to Albany and married there.
6. Jacob married Rebecca Runyon, daughter of Ephraim, of Piscataway.
7. Joel married Phebe Noe, daughter of Lewis Noe, of Long Hill.
10. Edith married Washington Leason ; live on Long Hill.
ANDREW DRAKE, (3d, son of Edward,) and Eunice Martin, had children :
1. Noah, who married Margaret Cole, daughter of Jonathan Cole.
2. Polly married Gideon Allen, Jun., son of Gideon, of Washington Valley.
3. Experience married Thomas Martin, son of Azariah Martin.
4. Martha married James Frazee, son of Jotham Frazee, Esq., of Scotch Plains.
5. Sarah married Samuel Seacore.
6. Piatt married Hannah Smalley, daughter of Daniel, son of David Smalley, Esq.
NOAH DRAKE, son of Andrew, son of Edward,) and Margaret Cole. had children:
1. Ezra, who married, 1st, Polly Williams, daughter of Zophar Williams, of Passaic Valley, and had one daughter, 1. Eliza Williams, who married Freeman Tucker, son of Lines. Ezra's wife died, and he married Polly Baker, daughter of Jonathan 1 , and had children : 2. Mary Williams ; 3. Jonathan Baker ; 4. George Whitefield.
2. Dorcas married. Jacob Shotwell, sun of Ralph. [See Shotwell.]
3. Jonathan married Mariah Frazee, daughter of Maxwell, and had a daughter, Sarah Anne, when he died.
4. Humphrey Martin married Sarah Frazee, daughter of Maxwell, and had children : 1. Jonathan C ; 2. Maxwell Frazee. His wife, Sarah, then died, and he married the widow Sally Young, and daughter of Philip Achor, and had children : 3 Margaret ; 4. Eliza, and then removed to Michigan.
5. Randolph married Jane Randolph, daughter of Simeon, and had children : 1. Edward ; 2. Margaret Anne; 3. Experience ; 4. Simeon ; 5. David.
6. Edward Drake, (son of Noah, son of Edward.) married Mary Waldron, daughter of Laffert Waldron. and had children: 1. Hannah Anne ; 2. Jonathan ; 3. Daniel ; 4. Harriet ; 5. George Washington.
7. William married Huma French, daughter of David French. Jun., and had children ; 1. Matilda ; 2. Noah ; 3. David.
8. Nathaniel, born 22d July, 1815, married Sarah Tingley, born 11th Sept. 1815, daughter of Squire Tingley, and had children: 1. Emina, born 27th Sept. 1837; 2. Lucretia, born 13th October, 1836 ; 3 David, born 18th January, 1842 ; 4. Albert, born 7th August, 1846.
9. Eunice married James Drake, son of Elkanah, and had children : 1. Madison ; 2. Anne Eliza; 3. James Drake.
10. Sarah married William Cornell, and had children: 1. Thomas Lavender Cornell ; 2. Mary Cornell.
11. Piatt married Julia Brant, daughter of David.
12. John Q. married Thirza S. Stewart, daughter of Wm. D. Stewart, Esq.
JAMES DUNHAM lived at Littell's Bridge, in Morris county, and owned a farm there of upwards of 60 acres He had brothers, John, David, and Joseph, and sisters, Abby and Polly : they were children of two mothers. He married the widow Sarah Hedges, who then had a daughter, Sarah Hedges, who died 7th Dec. 1820, aged 63 years, unmarried.
He had a son Janes, who died 5th May, 179[2?], aged 23 years, unmarried, and a daughter Hannah, who died 9th July, 1817, aged 54 years, unmarried.
James Dunham, Sen., died 7th June, 1796. aged 75 years. His widow died 7th August, 1807, aged 71 years. When Sarah Hedges died, this family was extinct.
JOHN DUNHAM was half brother of James ; he married Keziah Marsh, daughter of Ephraim Marsh, and had children :
1. Nancy, who married James Tappen, and went to Ohio.
2. Hetty married Jacob High, sun of John, of Westfield. [See High.]
3. John, Jun., married, 1st, Sarah High, sister of Jacob ; 2d, Patty Smalley, daughter of David, Esq.
4. Jane, born 8th May, 1764, married Norris Crane, son of Benjamin. [See Benjamin Crane.]
5. Betsey married Samuel Potter, son of Caleb, son of Col. Samuel. [See Potter. ]
6. Polly married Enos Meeker, of Connecticut Farms, now Union.
7 Phebe married. 14th February, 1796, Joseph Ogden Meeker, son of Jotham, of Plainfield.
NANCY DUNHAM and James Tappen had children:
1. Sally Tappen, who married, 3d March, 1795, Capt. Samuel Bailey. [See Bailey.]
2. Keziah Tappen, who married Jonathan Crane, son of Joseph. [See Crane.]
3. Marsh Tappen, who died at about 18 years.
4. Samuel Tappen married Catherine Dyke, in Ohio.
5. Betsey Tappen married William Livingston, in Ohio.
6. Jane Tappen married Henry Rogers, of Plainfield, and went to Ohio.
7. Phebe Tappen married Thomas Smith, in Ohio.
8. Benjamin Tappan married Eliza Shaw, of Pennsylvania ; lived in Cincinnati, Ohio.
9. Isaac Tappan married Nelly Dunham, daughter of Doctor Dunham, of Indiana.
10. Susan Tappen married Peter P. Good, an Englishman ; live in New York, and have an only child, Pate [Pato? hard to read] Good.
JOHN DUNHAM, Jun., (son of John Dunham,) and Sarah High, had children:
1. Rachel, who married Christopher Stevens, son of John. [See Stevens.]
2. Deborah married, 30th January, 1796, James Sayre, son of David ; live at Madison.
3. Keziah, born July, 1780, married, 20th June, 1807, Aaron Thompson, son of Thomas. [See Thompson.]
4. Joel married Eunice Baldwin, of Bloomfield, and lives there.
5 Fanny married Levi French, son of David French, Sen. [See French ]
6. Ezra married Nancy Hobro [? hard to read], and went to the lakes, New York, and lives there.
7. Williarn went to the lakes.
8. Sally married 22d November, 1822, George Miller, an Englishman.
9. John, 3d, married Phebe Anne Williams, daughter of Henderson Williams, of Westfield, and had a daughter Ellen, when his wife died.
John Dunham, Jun., married, 2d, Patty, daughter of David Smalley, Esq., and had a 10th child.
POLLY DUNHAM, (6th child of John Dunham) and Enos Meeker, had children :
1. Phebe, who married Calvin Freeman.
2. Ephraim married Phebe ____.
3. Joseph married Electa Headley, daughter of Timothy.
4. Wheeler married Phebe Fox, daughter of John.
PHEBE DUNHAM, (7th child of John Dunham,) and J. Ogden Meeker, had children :
1. Mary Meeker, who married John Squier, son of Aaron Squier, of Long H ill. [See Squier.]
2. Sarah Meeker married Ezra Hatfield, son of Daniel, of Westfield. and had children : 1. Ogden Meeker Hatfield ; 2. Phebe Meeker Hatfield ; 3. Harriet Hatfield ; 4. Rebecca Hatfield ; 5. Charlotte Hatfeld; 6. Sarah Hatfield; 7. Mary Hatfield ; 8. ____ Hatfield.
3. Anna. Meeker married William Line, on of Isaiah, and had children : 1. Isaiah Line, who died at 22. years 2. Huldah Line married Michael McVay ; 3. Hannah Line married Anthony Farley, son of Anthony Farley, of Hunterdon; 4. George Line ; 5 Sarah Line ; 6. Aaron Line ; 7. Amelia Line ; 8. Phehe Line [See Line].
4 Rachel Meeker married Samuel Rutan, son of Joseph, of Long Hill, and had no children.
5. John Meeker married Margaret, daughter of Anthony Farley, of Hunterdon county, and had no children.
REV. JONATHAN ELMER
REV. JONATHAN ELMER was born in Norwalk, Conn., the 4th June, 1727. He married Amy Gale, near Goshen, Orange county, New York. He came to Turkey, and became the stated minister of the Presbyterian church and congregation the 1st of October, 1757, and was installed the 13th November, 1765, and continued the pastor till the 14th Oct. 1793, when he was dismissed, and was never afterwards settled.
He died 5th June, 1807, aged 80 years ; his wife Amy, died 24th July, 1812, aged 94 years. They had children :
1. Jonathan, born 15th July, 1750. married. 29th May, 1770, Susannah Bedell, daughter of Benjamin ; had a son Philemon, and a daughter Hannah, baptized 30th May, 1784, and died young ; and he died 29th March, 1784, aged 34 years.
2. Philemon, born 13th Sept. 1752, became a physician and a surgeon in the army of the Revolution. He married, 1st, 13th Nov. 1774, Mary Marsh, and lived in Westfield ; 2d, Catherine Slack ; 3d, the widow of Charles Clark, Esq.
3. John, born 29th Sept. 1751, and died 14th May, 1764.
4. Moses Gale, born 26th September, 1757 ; he became a physician, and married, 2d December, 1792, Chloe Meeker, daughter of Matthias Meeker, of Morristown ; he lived where John T. Willcox now lives ; he died 31st May, 1835 ; his wife. Chloe, died 19th June, 1833, aged 60 years.
5. Sarah, born 11 th August, 1760, and married, 4th April, 1779, Abraham Morrell, of Elizabethtown, who died 15th April, 1794, and she then married Thomas Lovell, merchant of New York.
6. Nathan, born 5th November, 1763, married, 4th Nov. 1792, Sarah Crane, daughter of Isaac.
NOTE--Tlie four first children were born at Florida, near Goshen, in the highlands of Orange county, N. York, and the two last in Turkey, or New Providence.
JONATHAN ELMER, son of Rev. Jonathan Elmer, and Susannah Bedell, had but two children :
1. Hannah, who married, 18th January, 1795, Thaddeus Thompson, and died in childbed, with her first child.
2. Philemon, who married Nancy Potter, daughter of Isaac, and had children :
1. Abigail Caroline, born 4th February, 1807, and died 20th July, 1807.
2. Jonathan Gale, born 13th August, 1808, and died 25th April, 1828, aged 20 years.
3. Abigail Caroline, 2d, born 5th January, 1810, and died 14th March, 1845, aged 35 years, unmarried.
4, Louisa, born 28th October, 1811, and died 21st January, 1829, aged 18 years, unmarried.
5. Potter Elmer,. born 6th July. 1813, and went to Western Pennsylvania, and married, 8th March, 1839, Amy McFarlan.
6. Nancy, born 12th January, 1815, and died 27th July, 1836, aged 21 years, unmarried.
7. Philemon, born 14th January, 1817, and died a young man in Western Pennsylvania.
8. Simeon Dunn, born 2d: December, 1818, and died 24th February, 1835, aged 16 years.
9. Amy, born 27th November, 1820, and married 7th April, 1846, William C. Green, son of Calvin, of Madison and had children: 1. William Elmer Green ; 2. Caroline Green.
10. Israel, born 29th July, 1822, died 29th September, 1826.
11. Sarah Lovel, born 25th February, 1825, and died 8th July, 1851, aged 25 years.
Nancy, the wife of Philemon Elmer died 31st December, 1831, aged 49 years, and he married Catherine, the widow of Erastus Jones.
DOCT. PHILEMON ELMER. (son of the Rev. Jonathan Elmer.) and Mary Marsh, had children:
1. Sally, who married Doct. Loree.
2. Polly married Doct. Quimby, of Westfield, and died without children.
And by his 2d wife, Catherine Slack, Doct. Elmer had children:
3. Betsey married Ellis Potter, of New York, and had children: 1. Frank Potter ; 2. Ellis Potter ; 3. Edward Potter.
4. Mary married Aaron Coe, Esq., now of Westfield, and had children : 1 . Philemon Elmer Coe, now an Episcopal minister; 2. Catherine Coe.
5. Nancy ; 6. John ; 7 Julia ; 8. Caroline ; 9. Stewart.
The live last named children of Doct. Philemon Elmer died unmarried.
DOCT. MOSES ELMER, (son of Rev. Jonathan Elmer,) and Chloe Meeker, had children :
1. Matthias Meeker, baptized 24th July, 1794, and died.
2. Henry G. Elmer married, 8th December, 1822, Pamelia Johnson, daughter of Gabriel Johnson, Esq., and died 11th February, 1824. aged 25 years.
3. William, who died unmarried.
4. Apollo Morrell married Mary Britton, daughter of Col. William Britton otMadison, and had one daughter, 1. Elizabeth. who has become deaf.
Mrs. A. M. Elmer died in 1836, and he married, 12th April, 1838, Theodocia Morrell, daughter of Rev. Thomas Morrell, of Elizabethtown, and had children :
2. William Henry.
BENJAMIN ENYART lived in Passaic Valley, between Alexander Kirkpatrick's and Benjamin Alward's, and had children:
2. Sarah, who married Timothy Thompson, son of Daniel.
4. Rufus married Sally Thompson, daughter of Daniel, and sister of Timothy.
5. Rachel married Benjamin Thompson, brother of Daniel, as his 2d wife.
The family all removed to Ohio about the year 1800.
JAMES FINLEY emigrated from Scotland ; he lived some years at Princeton, and last at Basking Ridge, where he died ; he had children :
1. James, who became a physician, and lived in Western New York.
2. Robert, who graduated at Princeton College ; studied theology, and was ordained and instilled in the ministry at Basking Ridge. He married Esther Caldwell, the 5th child of the Rev. James Caldwell, of Revolutionary memory.
3. Anne. who married Charles Morford, of Prineton ; lived' at Basking Ridge in 1810, and subsequently removed to 4. Alexander was a carpenter and cabinet-maker; lived at Basking Ridge. He married Susan Whitaker, eldest daughter of Stephen Wihtaker. [See Whitaker.]
REV. ROBERT FINLEY, (son of James,) and Esther Caldwell, had children ;
1. Mary L. who married John R. Davison, only child of Peter Davison, of Basking Ridge.
2 Helen Smith married James Cammack ; lived is Georgia ; he died about 1816; had three children : 1. James Cammack; 2. Thomas Cammack ; 3. Margaret Cammack. Two had died previous to his death.
3. James C.. who became a preacher of the Methodist dcnnmination ; married Margaret Smith, daughter of Doct. Smith, of Cincinnati, and had children : 1. Helen ; 2. William ; 3. a daughter.
4. Robert S. married Julia Robins, of Kentucky ; lived at St. Louis, Missouri, several years ; edited the Liberia Advocate, five years at St. Louis, and removed thence to New York, and continues that publication. He is a Presbyterian minister, and was installed over the church at Metuchen. the 4th of November, 1850, by the presbytery of Elizabethtown ; he had no children.
5. Josiah, was licensed to preach the gospel; went to Liberia, Africa, as a missionary, and soon died there by violence.
6. Anne, who died at about 35 years, unmarried.
7. John married Miss Fox, of Minnissippi ; both died, leaving one child, Mary Anne.
8. Susan married William Brown, Esq., a lawyer of Illinois ; had children : 1. Mary Brown ; 2. Anne Brown.
9. Hannah married and lives in Illinois.
MARY L. FINLEY, and John R. Davison, had children :
1. Robert, who died at 23 years.
2. Anne Mariah.
4. James, who died at 23 years.
5. Frederick Josiah.
6. Mary, who died at 20 years.
7. Helen, who died at 2 years.
8. William, who died at 4 years.
9. George, who died at 5 years.
10. Edward; 11. Julia; 12. Robert.
ANNE FINLEY, (daughter of James Finley, Sen.,) and Charles Morford, had children:
1. Margaret Morford.
2. Mary Anne Morford.
3. James Morford.
ALEXANDER FINLEY, (4th child of James Finley,) and Susan Whitaker, lived at Basking Ridge, and had children:
1. Anne, who married Elisha Whitaker, son of Samuel, of Newark. [See Whitaker.]
3. Robert, who married and went to Cincinnati.
4. Mariah married Samuel Hall, son of Richard ; lived in Newark. [See Hall.]
5. Eliza married Rev. David McKinney, D. D., lived in Pennsylvania ; has children living ; Jane, who married Henry Floyd, has a son Thomas Floyd ; 2. Susan McKinney ; 3. Isaac McKinney, born Nov. 1828, is principal of the academy in Lafayette, East Alabama ; 4. Alexander; 5. Anna McKinney married James Bailey, had one child, Anna Bailey, and died ; 6. William McKinney ; 7. David McKinney.
7. Jane, who died a young woman.
8. Susan married Elias Beam, of Newark, and died, leaving children : 1. Alexander Finley Beam : 2. Julia Brownlee Beam; :3. Frederick Betts Beam ; 4. Helen Amanda Beam.
9. Alexander married Elizabeth, daughter John Tuttle, of Newark, and went to St. Louis, Missouri, and had children : 1. Isaac Baldwin ; 2. Josephine lives with the Rev. R. S. Finley, of Metuchen, New Jersey ; 3. Anna Whitaker ; 4. John Tuttle.
10. Stephen Hervy.
11. Cornelia married Frederick Betts, of Pennsylvania.
13. Helen married Mr. Hurxthal; lives in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania.
NOTE.--The Rev. James Caldwell, the father or Esther, the wife of the Rev. Robert Finley, D. D., was shot by a soldier standing as a sentinel at Elizabethtown Point, the 24th November, 1781. (The sentinel was hung for the act.) He was a Presbyterian minister at Elizabethtown. His family resided at Connecticut Farms, (now Union.) His wife, Hannah, was shot, the 25th of June, 1750, by one of a party of British passing through that place to Springfield, leaving nine children, who were all taken up to Chatham, to the house of Stephen Day, Esq., whose wife was a sister of Mrs. Caldwell, where David O. Day now lives. [see Stephen Day.]
The nine children of Mr. Caldwell were:
1, Margaret, who married Isaac Canfield, of Morristown.
2. Hannah married James R. Smith, merchant, of New York.
3. John Edwards was taken by the Marquis Lafayette to France.
4. James B. was many years a judge of the court of Gloucester county, and died in Woodbury.
5. Esther married the Rev. Robert Finley, D. D., of Basking Ridge.
6. Josiah F. was many years in the Post Office department at Washington.
7. Elias was some years clerk of the United States Supreme Court.
8. Sarah married the Rev. John S. Vrodenburg, many years pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church at Somerville.
9. Mariah married Robert S. Robertson, merchant, of New York.
DAVID FLINN lived where Elias Osborn, son of Stephen B. Osborn, now lives ; he married, 1st, - _____, and had children :
He married, 2d, Lydia, the widow of Andrew Prior, and daughter of David Littell, son of Samuel, and had children :
2. Stephen, who married Sally ____.
3. Lydia, who married, in Ohio, Edmund Buxton.
4. Susanna married John Miller. They and family went to the Shakers.
Mrs. Flinn had, by her first huband, Andrew Prior, two sons, Andrew Prior, Jun., and Moses Prior, the latter of whom was killed by the Indians in the war of 1794. [See Prior.]
STEPHEN FLINN, (son of David,) had children :
1. Joanna, who married William Mills.
2. James married Sophronia, Smith ; lives on Indian Hill, Hamilton county, Ohio.
3. David married Sally ____.
4. Vincent married Alla Robison ; lives near Dayton, Ohio.
5. Jesse married Henrietta Hammel ; have a son, John.
7. William, who died at 21 years.
And by his 2d wife Joanna, half sister of his first wife, had :
8. Sarah, who died at about 18.
9. Sabra, who died at 17 years.
JOSEPH FRAZEE was one of the eighty associates of Elizabethtown, who associated together for the purpose of managing, settling, surveying, and disposing of the lands of the " Elizabeth Town Grant," purchased of the Indians, a part of which, lying above the first mountain, was surveyed, in the years 1736 and 1737, into 100-acre lots, and distributed among the freeholders of Elizabethtown, by lot.
Joseph Frazee drew and owned two of those lots, Nos. 64 and 65, lying in the valley at and about the Falls Mills, but not including the mill site, (the mill site at the Falls having been taken up of the proprietors before the survey was made, to the number of 25 acres, by Daniel Cooper, of Morris county.)
Joseph Frazee had children :
1. Cornelius, who married Sarah Robins.
2. John married Hannah Willcox, daughter of Peter, Jr., 5th December, 1764.
3. Henry married Sarah Maxwell, daughter of William Maxwell.
CORNELIUS FRAZEE, (son of Joseph Frazee,) and Sarah Robins, had children:
1. Cornelius, Jun., who married, 1st, Sheba Hedges, daughter.of Benjamin Hedges ; 2d, Mary Tilyou, daughter of John Tilyou.
2. Betsey, who married William Badgley, son of Robert, son of James, 1st.
3. Hannah, who went to the South, and married there.
CORNELIUS FRAZEE, Jun., (son of Cornelius,) and Sheba Hedges, had children:
1. Polly, who married John D. Murphy, and had three children.
2. Sally married Abraham Hyat, and had one son.
And by his 2d wife, Mary Tilyou, he had children :
3. John, who died at 16 years of age.
4. Catherine, who is unmarried.
5. Moses, who married Susannah Hamilton, grand-daughter of John Hamilton.
JOHN FRAZEE, (son of Joseph,) and Hannah Willcox, had children :
1. Peter. 2. Noah.
After the death of John Frazee, the family removed to the West.
HENRY FRAZEE, (son of Joseph,) and Sarah Maxwell, had children:
1. Polly, who married Samuel Badgley, son of Anthony, 1st. [See Badgley.]
2. Maxwell, born 10th November, 1774, married Nancy Badgley, sister of Samuel. He married, 2d, Nancy, widow of Noah Cory, and daughter of Joseph Line ; had no children by her.
3. Moses married Susan Miller, daughter of Benjamin, of Scotch Plains.
4. Sally married Jacob Foster Stites, son of Isaiah, of Scotch Plains.
MAXWELL FRAZEE, (son of Henry, son of Joseph Frazee,) and Nancy Badgley, had children :
1. Henry, who died at 12 years.
2. Noah, born 31st August, 1799, married Betsey Squier, born 13th December, 1792, daughter of Aaron, of Long Hill.
3. Maria married Jonathan Drake, son of Noah, and had a daughter 1. Sarah Anne Drake, when he died, and
she married Jacob F. Randolph, son of John, as his 2d wife, and had children :
2. Abby E. Randolph.
4. Anne married James C. Lyon, (son of John,) as his 2d wife, and had no children.
5. Sally, (twin to Anne,) married Humphrey M. Drake, (son of Noah,) and had children: 1. Jonathan C. Drake. 2. Maxwell F. Drake. When she died. and he removed to Michigan.
6. Abby married the above-named Jacob F. Randolph, and had children : 1. Mary M. Randolph ; 2. George W. Randolph. When she died, and. he married her sister, Maria, Jonathan Drake's widow.
7. Susan married Enoch Rino, and had but one daughter, 1. Susan Rino.
NOAH FRAZEE, (son of Maxwell,) and Betsey Squier, had children :
1. Henry, born March, 1819, married Mary French, daughter of Willis, and had children : 1. George Willis; 2. Sarah Elizabeth ; 3. Anne Augusta.
2. Aaron ; 3. Mary, who died at 12 years ; 4. Samuel, born 11th February, 1826 ; 5. Squier, born 1st December, 1827, married Catherine _____; Anson, born 27th August, 1829 ; 7. John, born 25th November, 1832 ; 8. Anne, born 30th March, ___.
MOSES FRAZEE, (son of Henry,) and Susan Miller, had children :
1. Betsey, who married Abraham Nelson, who kept the tavern, in 1849-51, at Scotch Plains, and had children : 1. Julia Anne Curry Nelson ; 2. March Nelson ; 3. Loyd Nelson ; 4. ____.
2. Phebe married Aaron Drake, (son of Hugh Drake, and Hannah Littell, daughter of Jonathan Littell,) [see Littell,] and had children : 1. Delia Drake ; 2. Randolph Drake ; 3. Sarah Drake ; 4. Louisa Drake ; 5. Henry Drake.
ASA FRAZEE was son of Joseph Frazee, of Connecticut Farms. His children know not of any relation between them and the other Joseph Frazee. He married, 25th June, 1775, Sophia Littell, daughter of Andrew Littell. He lived on the north side of Sutton Hill (or 2d mountain) ; they had children:
1. Jemima, who married, 1st, Abner Tucker, son of JacobT. Tucker ; [see Tucker ;] 2d, George Holley, of Perth Amboy, and had a son, 1. Philip Holley, and lived at Amboy.
2. Sophia married Thomas Smith, of Connecticut Farms, lived where her father did, and had children: 1. Asa Frazee Smith married Mary Anne ; 2. Joseph Smith married Miss Jennings, and lived in New York, and had children : 1. Silas Smith ; 2. Andrew Smith ; 3. Charles Smith.
3. Margaret Smith married Thomas Wright, and had children : 1. Margaret Anne Wright ; 2. Susan Wright; they lived in Williamsburgh, opposite New York.
4. Harriet Smith married Noah Clark, son of Elias Clark, Jun., and had children : 1. Smith Clark ; 2. Frazee Clark ; 3. Thomas Clark. Noah Clark then died, and she married John Bryson, of New York.
5. Thomas Smith married Lydia Eliza Hoffman, of Dutchess county, New York ; lives on Long Island, aad has children : 1. John W. Smith, born 27th August, 1828 ; 2. James Henry Smith ; 3. Adelia Smith ; 4. Charles Smith, born 25th July, 1835 ; 5. Mary Eliza Smith.
6. George W. Smith married Phebe Jane Presley, and kept a large store of brooms, baskets, pails, &c., near Fulton Market, New York, and had children : 1. George H. Smith ; 2. Sarah Anne Smith ; 3. Mary Jane Smith ; 4. Delia Smith ; 5. Emma Smith ; 6. William James Smith.
7. Anne Eliza Srnith married Timothy Murry, and had a son, 1. John Murry, who lived on Staten Island.
8. James Smith, who died at 11 or 12 years.
9. Servia Jane Smith, who married Thomas Cruger, and had a son, John Adolpha Asa C. Cruger.
3. Betsey Frazee married John Curtis of Monmouth county ; lived where her father did, and had children :
1. James Backeliew, who married Eliza Swan, daughter of Benjamin. He removed to Zanesville, Ohio, and had children ; 1. Mary Curtis ; 2. John, who died at 14 years ; 3. John, 2d, who died in infancy ; 4. Rebecca Curtis ; 5. Elizabeth Curtis ; 6. James Curtis ; 7. Catherine Curtis ; 5. Almira Curtis.
2. William Curtis is unmarried.
3. Asa Frazee Curtis married Martha Smith, daughter of Jacamiah, son of Elijah Smith, of Long Hill, and had children: 1. Cornelia,. who died 21st November, 185[digit hard to read]0, at three years ; 2. Carolling, twin to Cornelia.
.4. Jomathan Curtis married Hannah Angleman, of Plainfield, and had children: 1. Henrietla Curtis ; 2. Alfred Berry Curtis.
5. David Curtis, born 8th November, 1820, married Catherine Long, daughter of Israel B. Long, and had children: 1. Mary Elizabeth Curtis ; 2. Esaias Curtis ; 3. Luthetter Curtis.
6. Eliza Curtis married Cornelius Williamson, son of John, of Somerset county, and had children : 1. Martha Elizabeth Williamson, born 12th May, 1835; 2. Jonathan Curtis Williamson ; 3. Harriet Jane Williamson ; 4. Abraham Parrot Williamson; 5. James Henry Williamson.
DAVID FRENCH carne from Connecticut Farms, now Union, and settled about one mile east of David Smalley's, Esq. He had a brother, John French, who lived where Thomas Conn now does, who sold out to Mr. Conn, and went to the lakes, New York.
David French married, 30th May, 1776, Sarah Willcox, daughter of William, son of Peter Willcocks, Sen., and had children :
1. Benjamin, who married Polly Collard, daughter of Benjamin Collard.
2. Polly married David Hays, of Westfield.
3. Willis married Hannah Hetlield, daughter of Moses, of Westfield.
4. Levi married Fanny Dunham, daughter of John, Jun., and went to the lakes.
5. Sally married James Williamson, of Monmouth county.
6. David, Jun., married, 2d November, 1809, Margaret Noe, daughter of Lewis Noe.
7. Cornelius married Sally Winans, above Morristown, and went to the lakes.
8. Betsey married John Corwin, son of Stephen. [See Corwin ]
9. Phebe married Moses Moore, son of Isaac Moore. [See Moore.]
10. Nancy married Moses S. Littell, sun of Master Benjamin Littell; went to the lakes. [See Littell.]
WILLIS FRENCH, (son of David,) and Hannah Littell, had children :
1. Betsey [? hard to read] is unmarried.
2. Sarah, who married Barzilla Ayers, lives in Elizabethtown, and has children : 1. Mary Elizabeth; 2. Moses Hetfield ; 3. Hannah Frances.
3. Moses Hetfield married Betsey Cole, daughter of Freeman Cole, Esq. [See Parrot.] owned the Stone Mill in Washington Valley, lives there, and has children : 1. Elias C. ; 2. Adcha H.; 3. Agnes R. ; 4. ____.
4. David A.. who married Margaret Woad, daughter of Daniel S. Wood, Jun.. and has children : 1. Mary Eliza ; 2. Barzilla Ayers ; 3. Rachel Anne; 4. William Theodore.
5. Mary married Henry, son of Noah Frazee. [See Frazee.]
DAVID FRENCH, (son of David,) and Margaret Noe, had children:
1. Huma, who married William Drake, son of Noah. [See Drake.]
2. Phinehas married Mary Emeline Oswald, daughter of Henry, of New York, lives at Plainfield, owns or manages a grist-mill there, and had children : 1. Theodore ; 2. Mary Elizabeth ; 3. John Henry.
3. Lewis Noe, who died by accident, 6th January, 1819, unmarried.
4. Phehe married David Coulter, near Mount Bethel, Warren, Somerset county.
5. Harriet married Benjamin Lollard, near Mount Bethel.
6. Margaret married Frederick Bryant, of Hunterdon county.
7. Maria, (twin to Margaret).
8. Sally Anne.
9. Hetty Jane.
TIMOTHY GRIFFIN married Catherine Sayre, daughter of Isaac Sayre, of Springfield Township, and had children :
1. Jane, who married, 1st, Francis Brown ; 2d, Robert Sweetman.
2. Thomas married Triphena Foster.
3. Patty married John Wheeler Foster, of Westfield.
4. Isaac married Betsey Musty, of Shrewsbury, Monmouth county.
5. Frazee died unmarried.
6. Betsey married Charles Graves.
7. Rachal married John Gray.
8. Prudence married, 1st, Charles Delaney ; 2d, William R. Vigers. a Frenchman.
9. Mary married Peter Maverick, engraver, of New York.
10. Ephraim married Effa Simpson, daughter of John Simpson.
11. Timothy died unmarried.
12. William died in infancy.
13. William S. married in New York, and died leaving one child.
PATTY GRIFFIN, (daughter of Timothy,) and John W. Foster, had children:
1. John Foster, who married Betsey Miller, lives in Westfield.
2. Miriam Foster married Matthias Hand, son of Nehemiah. [See Hand.]
3. Maria Foster married John M. Clark, on of John, of Westfield ; had no children.
4. Charles Foster married Sarah Cole, daughter of Joseph.
5. Eliza Foster married Mr. Murphy, of Connecticut, and lived there.
6. Martha Foster married Kinney McManners, son of Moses, of Westfield.
Patsy, wife of John W. Foster, died, and lie married Rhoda Price, daughter of Rice Price, and had children :
7. Susannah Foster, who married Martin Hulbert, sun of Joshua, of Mendham.
8. Lavisa Foster married David Dunham, son of Amos, of Liberty Corner.
9. Marcus Foster, who died at ten months.
ISAAC GRIFFIN, (son of Timothy,) and Betsey Musty, had children :
1. William M., who married, 15th February, 1816, Betsey Cory, daughter of George Cory.
2. Catherine marine!, 28th December, 1822, Isaac Marsh, of Westfield, and had a son, William G. Marsh, who marriod, 23d September, 1849, Elizabeth Badgley, daughter of David, son of Anthony Badgley. Catherine Marsh died Sth November, 1850.
4. Isaac married _____ in New York, and lives there.
EPHRAIM GRIFFIN, (son of Timothy,) and Effa[name hard to read] Simpson, had children :
1. Frazee, who married _____.
3. Matilda married James Parmer, in New York.
4. Mary married Edward Childs, in New York.
5. Susannah married Mr. Sanford, in New York.
7. Israel, who died in 1848, a young man, unmarried.
WILLIAM M. GRIFFIN, (son of Isaac, son of Timothy,) and Betsey Cory, had children :
I. Mary Anne, who married Philemon Dickerson, son of Caleb [See Dickerson.]
3. Catherine married Jonathan Hanford, son of Simeon.
6. Lewis R.
7. Amanda L.