Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
DAVIS to DODD
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
JOHN DAVIS, was born 11th January, 1731, and died in the spring of 1760. He married Sarah Crane, born 9th January, 1728. They had children :
1. Anna, born 7th March, 1753, and married William Pierson, of Westfield.
2. John, born 29th December, 1754, and was killed at the battle of Springfield, in the Revolutionary war.
3. Jacob, born 6th February, 1758, and died 22d February, 1843 ; was an elder in the church at Westfield. He married Mary Littell, 2d child of Moses Littell and Abby Thompson. She was born 13th March, 1762, and died 21st October, 1823.
NOTE.— Sarah, the widow ofJohn Davis, married David Conkling, as his 2d wife, who was born 29th May, 1721. By his two wives, David Conkling had children :
1. Daniel Conkling, born 23d January, 1751.
2. Mary Conkling, born 27th January, 1755.
3. Hannah Conkling, born 14th February, 1757.
4. Sarah Conkling born 30th March, 1759.
5. Abigail Conkling, born 13th December, 1761.
6. Samuel Conkling, born 21st July, 1765.
7. David Conkling, born 10th January, 1767. The three or four last named may have been clildren of Sarah.
JACOB DAVIS, (son of John,) and Mary Littell, lived in Westfield, and had children :
1. John, born 20th October, 1779, married Phebe Acken, daughter of Deacon Joseph Acken, of Westfield, and died 14th March, 1850.
2. Sarah, born 28th October, 1781, married Henry Hand, 15th child of Hezekiah. [See Hand.]
3. Betsey, born 29th January, 1784, married, 1st, Lewis Ludlow, son of Matthias, 2d, William Mulford, son of John.
4. Isaac Littell, born 10th October, 1788, and died 12th April, 1845. He married, 1st, Margaret Farrand, of Newark ; 2d, Catherine, widow of George Price, and daughter of John N. Oliver, of Elizabethtown.
5. Jacob Davis, Jun., born 30th October, 1793, and died 22d May, 1817, unmarried.
6. Mary, born 5th April, 1796, married Isaac French, son of Robert, of Springfield.
JOHN DAVIS, (son of Jacob,) and Phebe Acken, had 7 children : 1. Joseph Acken Davis, who married his cousin, Mary Mulford, o daughter of William, and had children :
1. Phebe Ladoiska Davis. 2. _____.
2. Mary Davis, who married David M. Woodruff, of Union, and had children : 1. Hiram Washington Woodruff. 2. James Woodruff. 3. Jacob Woodruff. 4. Wesley Woodruff. 5 Mary Woodruff.
3. Rebecca Davis married Henry B. Faitout, of Union, and had children: 1. Emma Faitout, 2. James Faitout.
5. Betsey Davis married Benjamin Pierson, son of John D. Pierson, son of William Pierson, of Westfield, and had children: 1. Mary Pierson.
6. Jacob Davis married Sarah Cory, daughter of Jonathan, son of Andrew Cory.
7. Thomas C. Davis is a merchant in Newark.
8. Sarah Anne Davis married Henry Cory, son of Jonathan, and a brother of Jacob's wife.
SARAH DAVIS, (2d child of Jacob Davis and Mary Littell,) and Henry Hand, removed to Sandusky, Ohio, where he died, and she removed to a place below Peoria, Illinois, where she died. They had 11 children :
1. Abigail Hand, born 25th July, 1801, and married Mr. ____ Raymond.
2. Nancy Hand, born 8th August, 1803, married _____.
3. Jacob Davis Hand, born 24th October, 1805, married _____.
4. Moses F. Hand, born 4th November, 1807, married _____.
5. Mary Davis Hand, born 8th December, 1809.
6. Betsey Davis Hand, born 3d April, 1812, married _____.
7. Rhoda Hand, born 27th August, 1814, married _____.
8. Henry Hand, twin, born 21st June 1817 marred _____.
9. Sarah Hand, twin, married _____.
10. Caroline Hand, born 21st March, 1820.
11. Catherine Hand, born 10th October, 1822.
BETSEY DAVIS, (3d child of Jacob Davis,) and Lewis Lud low, had children :
1. Melancthon Ludlow, who died a young man, unmarried.
2. Benjamin Ludlow, who married Fanny Smalley, son of Abner, son of James, and had an only daughter, 1. Elizabeth Ludlow.
His wife, Fanny, then died, and left his daughter here with her grandfather Smalley, and went to Buffalo and married there.
3. Sarah Ludlow, who married, 1st, William Miller, son of Lewis Miller, of Westfield, and had a son : 1. Lewis Miller, who married Martha Hand, daughter of Matthias, son of Nehemiah. She married, 2d, Caleb Miller, son of Nathaniel, of Springfield, and had, 2. Israel M. Miller ; 3. Mary Miller.
She married, 3d, William Day, of Elizabethtown, an Englishman, and had, 4. Catherine Day ; 5. William Day.
Lewis Ludlow, after having three children, died, and his widow, Betsey, married William Mulford, son of John. [See Mulford.]
ISAAC L. DAVIS, (4th child of Jacob Davis,) and Margaret Farrand, lived in Elizabethtown, and had children :
1. Charlotte, who married Elias Riggs Wilkison, son of Josiah.
2. Margaret, who married John Campbell, of New York.
Isaac L. Davis, by his 2d wife, Catherine Oliver, had children :
4. Henrietta married _____.
MARY DAVIS, (6th child of Jacob Davis,) and Isaac French, lived at Westfield, and had children :
1. Robert French, born 24th September, 1814, married Phebe Mooney, daughter of James, and had children : 1. Mary Elizabeth French. 2. Isaac Halsey French. 3. Richard French. 4. James French. 5. Phebe French.
2. Catherine French, born 7th December, 1817, married William Woodruff; son of Benjamin, son of Robert Woodruff, whose wife was Mary, daughter of Andrew Denman, and had children : 1. William Alfred Woodruff.
3. Mary French, born 23d December, 1822, married Benjamin Woodruff, son of Benjamin, of Westfield. She died 16th August, 1847, and he died, leaving no children.
4. Jacob Davis French, twin to Mary, married Lydia Pierson, daughter of Moses Pierson, of Westfield.
GEORGE DAY lived on Long Island.
He had a son, George Day, who came to New Jersey, and 1ived on the north side of Long Hill, and east of Sterling Valley. It is believed that John, David and Joseph Day were also his sons.
GEORGE DAY, 2d, had a son, George Day, 3d, who died 8th September, 1803.
The wife of George Day, 3d, was Elizabeth ; she died 26th February. 1815, aged 79 years. They had children :
1. Damaris, who married Samuel Clark, Esq. [See Elder John Clark.]
2. Martha married Abijah Wells ; she died 20th January, 1811, of apoplexy, aged 40 years.
3. Polly, who died in May. 1835, unmarried.
4. John, who married Polly Marsh, daughter of Joseph, and granddaughter ofJohn Osborn, Sen.
MARTHA DAY, (daughter of George Day, 3d,) and Abijah Wells, lived where her father did and had children :
1. Elijah Day Wells, who married 18th June, 1823, Elizabeth Hud on, of Mendham. He became a Presbyterian minister--preached at ____, in New York.
2. Charles Thompson Wells married and became a Methodist preacher.
JOHN DAY, (son of George Day, 3d,) and Polly Marsh, had children : 1. Charles ; 2. George.
JOHN DAY, (said to be son of George Day.) of Long Island, had children : 1. Martin Day, who had a son Absalom, 2. Nathaniel Day.
NATHANIEL DAY, (son of John Day,) had nine children :
1. Rachel, who married David Peppers.
2. Joseph married, 31st July, 1785, Patty Totten, daughter of Samuel Totten.
3. Hannah married John Graham, of New York, and had no children.
4. Zacheus married, 1st, Sally Locey ; 2d, Sarah Parcels.
5. Josiah married, 2d July, 1795, Dorcas Oakley, born 20th January, 1774, (daughter of Thomas), and had no children.
6. Elijah married Polly Oakley, sister of Dorcas, and went to Ohio.
7. Israel married Pally Brant, and weat to Ohio; had several children.
8. Elizabeth married John Harrison ; had but one child, who died in infancy.
9. Mary married Jesse V. Douglas, and had children : 1. Elizabeth, who married Andrew W. Brown, son of Thompson. [See Brown.] ; 2. Jemitna, who married Joseph W. Totten, son of Jonathan.
10. Sarah married Mr. Mills, and had but one son, Lewis Mills.
RACHEL DAY, (daughter of Nathaniel,) and David Peppers, had children:
1. Polly Peppers, who married David Drew.
2. Betsey Peppers married Stephen Drew, brother of David.
3. Jane Peppers, who died at about 18 years, unmarried.
4. Dorcas Peppers married her cousin, Joseph Day, son of Joseph, son of Nathaniel.
JOSEPH DAY, (2d child of Nathaniel,) and Patty Totten, had children :
1. Nancy, who married Joshua Sturge, of Green Village.
2. Rhoda married Simeon Reynolds.
3. David married Sarah Green.
4. Israel married Susan Radly, daughter of William.
5. Aaron, who died at about 18 years.
6. Josiah married Jenette Day, daughter of Moses, son of Paul Day.
7. Joseph married his cousin, Dorcas Peppers, daughter of David.
ZACHEUS DAY, (4th child of Nathaniel,) and Sarah Locey, had children:
1. Elijah married Anne Roff, daughter of Nathaniel, son of Richard, sen.
2. Polly, who died at about 25 years.
3. Nathaniel died at about 30 years, of consumption.
Zacheus Day, by his 2d wife, Sarah Parcels, had:
4. Betsey, who married Thomas Williams, lives in Newark, and had children: 1. Anne Williams; 2. George Williams; 3. Hervy Williams, who died young; 4. Emeline Williams ; 5. Harriet Williams. 5. Abby married Miller Derieu, of Madison, and had children: 1. Caroline Derieu; 2. John Derieu.
6. Israel married Gracia Anne Blazier, daughter of George, of Basking Ridge : children, 1. Abigail ; 2. Mary Elizabeth; 3. William ; 4. George; 5. David.
7. Squier married Emeline Bedford, daughter of William D., of New Providence, and had children : 1. Harriet.
8. Stephen, who went to Ohio with Captain Benjamin Conklin.
ELIJAH DAY, (1st child of Zacheus,) and Anne Rolf, lived is Sterling Valley, and had children :
1. Nathaniel, who married Anne Elizabeth Browning.
2. Erastus married Gertrude Nesty, daughter of William, of Spring Valley.
6. Abby Anne.
ELIJAH DAY, (6th child of Nathaniel,) and Phebe Oakley, had children:
1. Stephen Snethen.
2. Elias Riggs.
3. Cyrus Bruen.
4. John G. Bergen.
DAVID DAY, ESQ.
DAVID DAY, EsQ,, (son of George Day, 1st.) owned a farm where Peter Hill, William Crane, and John Littell now live. He sold 50 acres to Jacob Bedell, on which John Littell and Mrs. Elmer now live.
He had five daughters, but no sons.
1. Abigail, who married William Maxwell, son of John Maxwell, of Westfield. (See Maxwell.)
2. Sarah married David Harrison ; lived in Cauldwell township.
3. Mary married Matthias Potter, son of Joseph. - [See Potter.]
4. Jemina married, 1st, Mr. Day. 2d, Aaron Wade. 3d, Mr. Kirkpatrick, who lived at Liberty Corner. 4th, Rev. Mr. Kennedy, minister at Basking Ridge. 5th, Jonathan Miller, Sen., of Basking Ridge.
5. Susan married, 1st, Eleazer Crane, of Elizabethtown, brother of Benjamin Crane, 2d ; 2d, Matthias Allen.
J0SEPH DAY, (son of George Day, lst,) married Hannah Sargeant, and had children :
2. Amos, who married Miss Magie.
4. Paul, who married, 1st, Elizabeth Thompson ; lived at Chatham ; 2d, Elizabeth Crane ; 3d, Patty Willcox, (of the family of George, at Elizabethtown,) who was the mother of Samuel Condit, of Chatham.
5. Stephen married, 1st, Damaris Foster ; 2d, Jemima, widow of Stephen Johnson, and daughter of Justice John Ogden, of Newark, and sister of Hannah, the wife of the Rev. James Cauldwell.
6. Sarah married Gershom Mott, and had children : 1. Sarah Mott. 2. Polly Mott. who married David Thompson.
7. Martha married, 1st, Samuel Lum, father of Israel Lum, Esq. ; 2d, Stephen Howel ; 3d, Mr. ____ Carnes, of Mendham.
8. Susannah married, 1st, Mr. ____ Darling ; 2d, Mr. ____ Beach, of Rockaway, and had a daughter, Electa Beach, who married Mr. ____ Jackson.
JONATHAN DAY, (son of Joseph, son of George, 1st) of Long Island, had a son :
1. Daniel, who came to New Jersey, lived at Camptown, now Clinton, and had children ;
1. Benjamin. who was a justice of the peace. He married.1st, Elizabeth Darling, daughter of Thomas ; 2d, Elizabeth Roberts. 19th July, 1770, daughter of Daniel Roberts,. and sister of Samuel Roberts. Sen., and also sister of Phebe, the wife of Peter Davison.
4. Timothy married Mehetabel Merry, daughter of John.
5. Daniel, Jun., married.
BENJAMIN DAY, (1st child of Daniel, son of Jonathan, son of Joseph Day,) and Elizabeth Darling, had children :
1. Stephen, 1st.
His wife, Elizabeth Darling, then died, and he, by his 2d wife, Elizabeth Roberts, had other children :
6. Daniel, who married Nancy Morrell, daughter of Abraham, of Elizabethtown.
7. Stephen, 2d, born December, 1778, married, 1st, Sally Mulford, daughter of Cornelius ; 2d, Elizabeth Wood, daughter of Captain Daniel S. Wood. He was a captain of the militia.
8. Abigail married. 1st, Jonathan Valentine, son of Obadiah ; d. John Schureman. [See Obadiah Valentine.]
9. Sarah married, 1st, David Valentine, brother of Jonathan, 2d, Aaron Baker, Esq , of Dayton, Ohio.
Benjamin Day, Esq.. died September, 1793, and his widow, Elizabeth Roberts, married Obadiah Valentine, as his 3d wife.
DANIEL DAY, (6th child of Benjamin Day Esq., and Nancy Morrell, had children :
1. Abraham Morrell.
2. Thomas, who went to Ohio.
3 . Eliza.
He died August, 1845, aged 71 years.
CAPT. STEPHEN DAY. (7th child of Benjamin Dav, Esq., son of Daniel, son of Jonathan, son of Joseph ) and Sally Mulford, had but one son, Mulford, who married, 1st, Sarah Brookfield, daughter of Job, of Spring Vidley, and had children : 1. Harriet; 2. George Bangheart; 3. Phebe Anne.
His wife Sarah then died, and he married. 2d, Sarah Thompson, daughter of Elias, of Bordentown, and had other children, 4th, Elias Thompson; 5. Rachel. 6. Betsey ; 7. Benjamin ; 8. Mary Thompson.
Mulford Day died 26th June, 1851.
2. David, who died in 1805, aged 9 months.
3. Benjamin, who married Mary Taylor. (daughter of Moses, of Bergen County, New Jersey. and had no children.
4. Stephen married Rachel Brookfield. daughter of Job, half sister of Mulford's first wife, and had children : 1. Elizabeth, who died at about 2 1/2 years; 2. Mulford Brookfield ; 3. Daniel Davison.
5. Peter Davison, married, 1st, Stella Elizabeth Reading, of Sussex County, and had a son,Watson, who died young, and she died, and he married 2nd, Jane Voorhies, of Mendham, and had children : 2. Sarah Elizabeth; 2. Stella Jane; 4. Frances.
6. Samuel Thomas married Elizabeth Crane, daughter of John, and had children : I. Wilbor Fisk ; 2. Waters Burrows ; 3. Johna Crane; 4. Benjamin ; 5. Stephen Sylvester.
7. Waters, who accidentally shot himself when a young man, and died.
8. Daniel W. married, 17th November, 1847, Caroline Parrot, daughter of Squier, and had children: 1. Squier Parrot.
9. Francis A[letter illegible]bury married, 16th November, 1847, Hannah D. Hick, daughter of William, of New York, and had children : 1. Sarah Elizabeth.
10. William McKendry married, 28th September, 1847, Lydia Anne Cole, daughter of Watson, of Trenton, and had children 1. Sarah Elizabeth; 2. Edwin Augustus.
11. Edwin Augustus.
TIMOTHY DAY, (4th child of Daniel, son of Jonathan, son of Joseph Day,) and Mehetabel Merry, lived at Chatham, and had children :
1. Israel, born 15th November. 1765, and married, 3d1 May, 1755, EI:zabeth Ludlow, born 25th April, 1707, daughter of Col Cornelius Ludlow, of Long Hill.
2. Betsey married, 1st. Capt. Benjamin Pettit. 3d ; [see Pettit ;] 2d, Amos Potter, Esq., son of Daniel, 2d. [See Potter.]
COL. ISRAEL DAY. (son of Timothy,) was a colonel of cavalry, justice of the peace, commissioner of deeds, and elder of the Presbyterian church in Chatham. He and Elizabeth Ludlow had children :
1. Benjamin Ludlow, who married Harriet Kipp, of New York, and had children : 1. Margaret ; 2. Eliza ; 3. Helen Kipp, who died 7th February, 1850, unmarried.
2. Mehetabel married John Colwell, son of Hugh, of Long Hill, and had children: 1. James married Martha High, daughter of Ephraim, son of Jacob High. 2. Hugh died a young man, unmarried. 3. Israel Day married _____. 4. Elizabeth is unmarried.
Mr. Colwell then died, and she married Stephen Cooper, son of Daniel, 2d, Esq.; and had a daughter : 5. Sally Anne, who married her cousin, William Cooper, son of Peter.
3. Agnes, who married Doct. Elias Runyon, son of Elias, of Long Hill ; had no children : live at New Market, Middlesex county.
AMOS DAY, (son of Joseph, son of George Day, 1st) and Miss ____ Magie, had children :
1. Amos Day, Jun., who married, as his 2d wife, Patty Denman ;
2. Isaac ; 3. Aaron ; 4. Sophia ; 5. Phebe; 6. Polly.
THOMAS DAY, (son of Joseph, son of George Day, lst,) married _____, and had children :
1. Elizabeth, who married, 1st, Mr. Gibbon ; 2. Mr. Parkison.
PAUL DAY, (4th child of Joseph, son of George Day, 1st,) and Elizabeth Thompson, had children:
1. Thaddeus, who married Susanna Parcel, daughter of Henry.
2. Paul, Jun., who died young.
3. Betsey married her cousin, Israel Lum, Esq., son of Samuel.
4. Moses married Joanna Bonnel, daughter of John, son of Nathaniel, 1st.
5. Abigail married Philip Minthorn.
6. Rachel married George Minthorn, brother of Philip.
7. Matthias married Hannah Ward, daughter of Gen. Thomas Ward, of Newark.
8. Hannah married James Kitchel, son of the Hon. Aaron Kitchel, of Morris county.
THADDEUS DAY, (1st child of Paul Day,) and Susanna Parcel, had children :
1. Joseph, who married Polly Brown, and had children: 1. David, who married Ellen Britton, daughter of Stephen live in Newark. 2. Louisa married Smith Gold, above Morristown. 3. Aaron married Abigail Baldwin, daughter of Stephen, of Cheapside. 4. Caroline married Osborn Hedges, of Hanover. 5. Electa married Mr. Reeves, of Cheapside. 6. Hervy P. married Miss Baldwin, Cheapside. 7. Mary married Stephen Foster, of Rensellaer.
2. Catherine, who married Peter Dickerson, son of Philemon, 1st. [See Dickerson.]
3. Paul married, 1st, Amutal Ward, daughter of Capt. Enos Ward ; 2d. Sarah Pierson, daughter Gabriel Pierson, niece of his first wife. He had no children.
4. Charles Thompson married Polly Woolley, daughter of Jacob, of Springfield.
5. Henry Parcels Day was blind ; he died at about 30 years.
6. Electa married Benjamin Winget, son of Benjamin, of Madison, and had no children.
CHARLES THOMPSON DAY, (4th child of Thaddeus, son of Paul, son of Joseph Day,) and Polly Woolley, had children:
1. Jacob, who married _____.
2. Madison, twin to Jacob, died young.
4. Hannah married Abner Baldwin, son of David, of Cheapside. [See Baldwin.]
5. Hetty married Mr. Scofield, of Newark.
6. Mary married Mr. Appleton, of New York.
7. Sarah married Nehemiah Baldwin, of Newark, as his 2d wife.
BETSEY DAY, (3d child of Paul, son of Joseph Day,) and Israel Lum, Esq , had children :
1. Stephen Lum, who married _____ and lives in Newark, and had children: 1. William Lum ; 2. John ; 3. Hannah ; 4. Margaret.
Israel Lum, Esq., by his 2d wife, Patience Pierson, daughter of Benjamin Pierson, above Morristown, had children:
2. Benjamin Pierson Lum, who was a judge, and justice of the peace, and who married Temperance Muchmore. daughter of Samuel, of Madison, and has an only child, Benjamin Piersun Lum, Jun.
3. Israel Lum married Hetty Fairclo daughter of Isaiah, of Flanders, and had children : 1. Caroline Lum ; 2. Elizabeth Lum.
4. Paul Lum married Charlotte Bonne!, daughter of Enos ; had no children.
5. Samuel Lum married Amutal Genung, daughter of David.
6. Betsey Lum married Samuel Day, son of Amos, of Union, and brother of William Day, the butcher of Union.
7. Nancy Lum married William Kelly, son of Thomas Kelly. Samuel Lum, (son of Israel Lum, Esq.,) and Amutal Genung, had children : 1. Charles Lum, who married Miss Muchmore, daughter of John T. 2. Hervy Lum married, 1st, Harriet Sturges ; 2. Miss Bruen, daughter of Ashbel. 3. Paebe Anne Lum. 4. Caroline Lum.
Betsey Lum, and Samuel Day, had an only son, 1. Israel Lum Day, who married _____, in Easton.
Nancy Lum. and William Kelly, had children :
1. Nelson Kelly ; 2. Hervy Kelly; 3. Charles Kelly: 4. William Kelly, Jun.
MOSES DAY, (4th child of Paul, son of Joseph Day,) and Joanna Bunnel, had children :
1. Charles, who married Polly Bonnel, daughter of Nathaniel, 3d, and had a daughter, Elizabeth Day.
2. Betsey married Nathan Potter, son of Jacob Potter. [See Potter.]
3. Matthias, who went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and married, and had children : 1. Nemina 2. Sophia ; 3. Matthias, Jun.
4. Nancy lives in Newark.
5. Franklin married Prussia King, daughter of Doct. King and Prussia Bonnel.
6. Sylvanus went to Ohio.
7. Emulus went to Ohio.
S. Henry went to Ohio.
9. Jenette married Josiah Day, son of Josiah, son of Nathaniel Day.
10. Thaddeus, who died young.
MATTHIAS DAY, (7th son of Paul, son of Joseph Day,) and Hannah Ward lived in Newark and had children :
1. Charles Thompson, who married Elizabeth Miller.
2. Matthias, Jun. married Henrietta Tenbrook, of New York.
3. William Ward married Eliza Canfield, daughter of Jabez, of Newark.
STEPHEN DAY, Esq., (5th son of Joseph, son of George Day, 1st,) and his 1st wife, Damaris Foster, had children :
1. Joanna, who married, 1st, Moses Lum, and had a daughter: 1. Mary, who married Doct. John C. Budd ; when Mr. Lum died and she married Ichabod Ward, son of David Ward. [See Ward.]
2. Elizabeth, who died unmarried.
3. Elijah, born 24th January 1757, and died unmarried.
4. William married Nancy Bonnel, daughter of John, and kept tavern at Chatham.
5. Nancy married (Tailor) John Bonnel, son of Benjamin, Esq. [See Bonnel].
6. David died at Pittsburg, in 1794, unmarried. He went out in the New Jersey regiment, against the, Whisky Boys.
7. Mary married Isaac Samson, son of David. [See Samson.]
8. Stephen, Jun., married Polly Bonnel, daughter of Benjamin, Esq , sister of Nancy's husband.
By his 2d wife, Jemima, Stephen Day, Esq., had children :
9. Elijah, 2d, married Phebe Crane, daughter of John Crane, of Orange, and had a daughter Adaline, who married Charles Ailing, of Newark, and had a child, and soon after died, and the child died.
10. Electa, who died in infancy.
11. David Ogden married Maria Stackhouse, daughter of Samuel, of Elizabethtown.
Mary Lum, daughter or Moses Lum and Joanna Day,) and Doct. John C. Budd, had children :
1. Bern W. Budd, who married Catherine Reynolds, daughter of David, of Madison.
2. John S. Budd married Charlotte Ward, daughter of Aaron M., son Israel Ward.
3. Mary C. Budd married John Meeker, son of Daniel H., son or Isaiah Meeker. [See Meeker.]
4. Joanna Vashti Budd married, 1st, Parrot Reynolds, son of William ; 2d, Noble Barry, from Ireland.
5. Jane C. Budd married Israel Dickerson, son of D. Brainard Dickerson. [See Dickerson.]
6. Vincent B. Budd married, 1st, Nancy Ward, daughter of John, son of David ; 2. Jane Hancock, daughter of Rev. John Hancock.
7. Phebe Budd married, 1st, Elwin Tryon, son of Rowland Tryon, of Connecticut ; 2d, Mr. Loundsbury, of Michigan, and lives there.
8. Susan A. Budd married Ambrose Bruen, son of Carter, of Madison.
Doct. Budd married, 2d, the widow Betsey Cobert, of New York, and had other children :
9. Eliza Budd, who married Stewart Marsh, son of John T. Marsh, of Rahway.
10. Sarah Budd married George Servin, and live in Elizabethtown, and had a daughter, Sarah Servin.
Bern W. Budd, (son of Doctor Jahn C. Budd,) and Catherine Reynolds. had children :
1. Elizabeth R. Budd, who married Thomas Gallaudet, of New York; 2. David R. Budd ; 3. Bern L. Budd ; 4. Charles A. Budd.
John S. Budd, (2d child of Doctor Budd,) and Charlotte Ward, had children :
I. John C. Budd, who married Bridget Warren ; 2. Thomas D. Budd ; 3. Nancy A. Budd; 4. Sylvester I. Budd ; 5. Stephen Boplan Bansabin Budd ; 6. Caroline E. Budd ; 7. Ellen Day Budd ; 8. Ludlow Day Budd ; 9. George S. Budd ; 10. Mary E. Budd.
9. Joanna Vashti Budd, 4th child of Doct. Budd, had no living child by Parrot Reynolds. By Noble Barry, she had only one daughter, Emma Barry.
Jane C. Budd, (5th child of Doctor Budd.) and Israel Dickerson, had children : 1. David B. Dickerson 2. Sarah A. Dickerson ; 3. Bern W. Dickerson ; 4. Caroline L. Dickerson.
Vincent Budd, (6th child of Doctor Budd,) and Nancy Ward had children : 1. Thomas Bond Budd; 2. Melissa Ward Budd. And by Jane Hancock had children : 3. Jane Hancock Budd ; 4. Benjamin Ward Budd.
Phebe Budd, (7th child of Doctor Budd,) and Edwin Tyson, had children : 1. Charles Tyson ; 2. Ambrose Tyson ; 3. Caroline Tyson ; 4. William Tyson ; 5. Israel Tyson.
Susan A. Budd, (8th child of Doctur Budd.) and Ambrose Bruen, had children : 1. Lewis B. Bruen ; 2. Caleb C. Bruen ; 3. John C. Bruen.
Eliza Budd, (9th child of Doctor Budd,) and Stewart Marsh, had children: 1. Albert Marsh ; 2, John Marsh.
CAPT. WLILIAM DAY, (4th child of Stephen Day, Esq., son of Joseph,) and Nancy Bonnel, lived in Chatham, and had children :
1. Foster, who married Susan Smith, daughter of Doct. Peter Smith, of Chatham.
2. Sally married Henry Crane, son of Capt. John Crane, of Chatham.
3. Charlotte married Frederick Smith, of Chatham.
4. Lewis, who died a young man.
5. Calvin, who also died a young man.
6. Joanna married Ichabod Burnet, son of Daniel Burnet, of Madison.
FOSTER. DAY, (son of Captain William Day,) and Susan Smith, had children ; 1. Lewis; 2. William Foster ; 3. Richards.
STEPHEN DAY, Jun., (8th child of Stephen Day, Esq., son of Joseph,) and Polly Bonnel, had children :
1. Jane, who married Moses Ward, son of Ichabod. [See Ward.]
2. Elias is a Presbyterian minister in Wayne county, Penn.
3. Mary married Mr. Ketchum, near Bethany, Wayne county.
5. Edwin married Fidelia Gleason, of Connecticut.
6. Lewis married, and lived with his father in Wayne county, Pennyslvania.
DAVID O. DAY, (11th child of Stephen Day, Esq., son of Joseph,) and Maria Stackhouse, had children :
1. Harriet is unmarried.
2. John Ogden Day married Emily Brown, 30th September, 1840, daughter of Jonathan, and had children: I. Eugene ; 2. Webster ; 3. Robert Baldwin.
3. Flavel Woodruff, born 5th February, 1813, and died 12th Septen:ber, 1815.
4. Hannah Maria, born 10th February, 1815, and died 30th October, 1831.
5. Flavel Woodruff 2d, born 28th Nov. 1816, married Miss Reynolds, daughter of Samuel Reynolds, Esq., above Basking Ridge.
6. James Oliver.
NOTE--Jemina, the 2d wife of Stephen Day, Esq., had by her 1st husband, Stephen Johnson, two children : 1. Jonathan Johnson, who married Abigail Bonnel, daughter of Benjamin Bonnet, Esq.; 2. Hannah Johnson, who is unmarried. She lives with David O. Day, and is nearly 80 years old.
MARTHA DAY, (7th child of Joseph, son of George Day, 1st,) and Samuel Lum, her first husband, had children :
Israel Lum, who married Betsey Day, 3d child of Paul Day, [see Paul Day,] and had an only son, Stephen Lam, who married, lives in Newark, and had children : 1. William ; 2. John ; 3. Hannah ; 4. Margaret.
After the death of Stephen Lum, she married, 2d, Stephen Howel, and had children :
1. Luther Howel, who married Miss Young, of Whippany.
2. Calvin Howel married Polly Sayre, daughter of Ephraim, of Madison.
3. David Howel married Sally Burnet, daughter of Josiah.
Calvin Howel (2d son of Stephen Howel and Martha Day), and Polly Sayre, had children:
1. Cornelia Howel, who married Philemon Dickerson, son of Peter. [See Dickerson]
2. Rachel Howel married Samuel Hopping, son of Daniel, of East Madison.
3. Eliza Howel married Benjamin Cook Jun., son of Benjamin of Madison, and had a son, Elias Cook, when Benjamin Jun. died.
4. Martha Howel married Mathias F. Noe, son of John. [See Noe]
5. Stephen Howel married Martha Way.
6. Ephraim Howel, who died at about 17 years.
PHILEMON DICKERSON lived at the east end of Sterling Valley, on the road to Morristown. He married Johannah Sweazy, above Morristown. He died 12th April, 1777, agd 38 years. His widow married Isaac Badgley. He had children :
1. David Brainard, who married Sally Baldwin, daughter of Capt. Enos Baldwin, of Cheapside, and lived there.
2. Peter married Catherine Day, daughter of Thaddeus, son of Paul.
3. Caleb married Matilda Brown, daughter of Daniel, of Madison.
4. Hannah married, 19th February, 1767, Lot Darling.
5. Philemon, Jun., who died, 5th August, 1776, aged 14 months.
DAVID BRAINARD DICKERSON, (1st son of Philemon,) and Sally Baldwin, had children :
1. Philemon, who married Betty Paradise ; lived in Springfield, and was a justice of the peace there.
2. Sarah married Williatn Gibbs ; had no children.
3. Mary, who died unnmarried.
4. Israel married Caroline Budd, daughter of Doctor J. C. Budd. [See Day and Budd.]
PHILEMON DICKERSON, Esq., (son of D. Brainard,) and Hetty Paradise, had children :
1. William, who married Euphemia Kelly.
2. John married. 1st, widow Ellen Camp, and daughter of Isaac Roll, son of John Roll ; 2 Mary Stackhouse.
3. Sarah Anne married Stephen Shafer.
4. Philemon, Jun., married Mary Roll, sister of John's first wife.
6. Julianne married Theodore Birt, son of Jacob, of Springfield.
PETER DICKERSON, (2d son of Philemon,) and Catherine Day, had children :
1. Philemon married, 1st, Cornelia Howe!, daughter of Calvin ; 2. Hannah, widow of Squier Badgley, and daughter of Benja:fain Sturges.
2. Paul, who died aged 20 years.
PHILEMON DICKERSON, (son of Peter,) and Cornelia Howel, had children :
1. Calvin, who married, 1st. Mary Ulick, daughter of Adam, of Hackets Town, and had a daughter, Mary Catherine. His wife then died and he married ; 2d, Miss Tester, of Sterling Valley.
3. Mary Catherine, who died 22d July. 1841. aged 21 years.
4. Cornelia married, 15th May, 1843, Samuel Schureman, son of John McClasliy Schureman, and went to Illinois.
5. Peter; 6. Eliza ; 7. Sarah Anne ; 8. Electa; 9. William Day; 10. Stephen ; 11. Mary Catherine, 2d.
CALEB DICKERSON, (3d son of Philemon,) and Matilda Brown, had children :
1. Samuel, who married Mary Freeman, of Woodbridge.
2. Mary is unmarried.
3. Brainard married Mary Ridgeway, of Staten Island, and went to Ohio.
4. Caleb is unmarried.
5. David went to Tuscaloosa, and married there, Elizabeth Mallard.
6. Wesley went to Natchez, Mississippi, and married Elizabeth Wright. and died there.
7. Philemon married Catherine Griffin, daughter of William M.
8. Israel, who died young.
9. Caroline married David A. Harrison, son of Abraham, of Orange.
Capt. Robert Treat, John Curtis [last name hard to read[, Jasper Crane. and John Treat, were sent, in 1660 from Branford, Milford, and Guilford, in Connecticut, to view the country and lands in New Jersey. They returned and reported favorably, and were sent back with power to select a site for a town, and make a purchase. The result at that time was a purchase of the township of Newark, by its ancient boundaries.
The Indians called the town Passaic, but the inhabitants, called it Newark, after a town in England, from which the Rev. Mr. Pierson, their pastor, had come. Trumbull, the historian, says that Mr. Pierson, and almost his whole church and congregation, soon removed from Branford to Newark, and carried with them the church records. This removal took place some time previous to the 24th of June, 1667.
DANIEL DOD, Jun., eldest son of Diniel Dod Sen., came to Newark, a minor, probably with the colony from Branford. He had a lot of land for his home lot is Newark, about Bridge Street, and northward.
His farm lands were on the hill west of the town. In the year 1678, Daniel Dod and Edward Ball were appointed to run the northern line of the town, from the Passaic to the Mountain. He was chosen deputy to the provincial assembly in 1692.
Of the three sons of Daniel Dod, Jun., viz. Daniel, 3d, Stephen, and John, Daniel, 3d, lived the longest, and died about 1766, being eighty years of age or upwards.
From 1721 to 1731, Daniel Dod, 3d, was filling the office of freeholder and surveyor ; then living on his patrimony. In the year 1737, his brother John appears in the office of surveyor. In the year 1754, John's son John, then called John 3d, was appointed Assessor about the year 1762, the names of Isaac and Amos Dod begin to appear as town officers. Isaac was a captain, and at the beginning of the revolution was appointed justice of the peace, and continned to sustain that office till his death, in 1804 [last digit hard to read]. Amos Dod was also captain, and Caleb Dod major, in the same regiment.
DANIEL DOD, from England, married Mary ____, probably about the year 1616. He died in the winter of 1634-5. She died 25th May, 1637. They were both buried in Branford ; they had children:
1. Mary. born 1617, and married Aaron Blachley, about 1664.
2. Daniel, Jun., born in 1649, or 1650.
3. Ebenezer, born 11th December, 1651, and died about 1675.
4. A daughter, born 29th March, 1653, died _____.
5. Stephen, born 16th February, 1655, and died in Guilford, October, 1691, in his 37th year. He married, l8th May, 1678, Mary Stevens. and had children, Daniel and Stephen ; his wife died previous to 1691.
6. Samuel, born 2d May, 1657. His family ran out in the female line.
7. Anne, who married Mr. Fowler.
DANIEL DOD, Jun , (son of Daniel, 1st.) had children :
1. Daniel, 3d, married Mary Ailing, of Newark, and died at 80 years.
2. Stephen, 2d, married Phebe Harrison.
3. John married Miss Samson.
4. Dorcas married Mr. Ward, the ancestor of Zebina Ward, probably his grandfather.
DANIEL DOD, 3d, (son of Daniel Dod, Jun.,) and Mary Ailing, had children:
1. Eunice, born 3d November, 1718, married David Baldwin, and had eight sons and two daughters, and died, 20th October, 1803, aged 85 years.
2. Sarah, born 18th December, 1720, and married Timothy Freeman, and had three sons and one daughter.
3. Thomas, born 7th January, 1723, married Sarah Newcombe. He died 8th September, 1815, aged 92 years, 8 months. She died 31st March, 1791, in her 68th year.
4. Daniel, 4th born 1st May, 1725, married, 1st, Jane Smith; 2d, the widow Martha Harrison. He died 1795, without children.
5. Isaac, born 8th July, 1728, married Jemima Williams, born 6th January, 1729. He died 19th August, 1804, aged 76 years. She died 25th July, 1810, aged 81 years.
6. Joseph, born 12th September, 1731, died 4th June, 1789, in his 58th year. He married, 1st, Mary Lindsley, who died 4th Feb 1763, aged 29 years. He married, 2d, Sarah Williams, who died 2d, September, 1818, aged 76 years.
7. Moses, born 18th June, 1734, and died in youth.
8. Amos, born 15th September, 1737. and died 7th October, 1811, aged 74 years. He married Hannah Condit, who died 23d June, 1826, in her 68th year.
9. Caleb, born 26th May, 1740, and died in Cauldwell. He married Hannah Harrison.
THOMAS DOD, (3d child of Daniel Dod, 3d,) and Sarah Newcombe, had children:
1. Eunice, who married Joseph Crane, and died 20th Feb. 1822, aged 80 years.
2. Ezekiel married _____, and had a daughter, Jemima.
3. Samuel married _____, and had children : 1. Hannah; 2. Isaac ; 3. David.
4 Nancy married Amos Tomkins.
5. Elias married Lydia Ward, and had children: 1. George ; 2. Abraham ; 3. Charlotte.
6. Daniel married _____, and had children : 1. Robert ; 2. Nancy.
7. Enos married Mary Edo, and had children : 1. Jemima, born 24st October, 1776, married Samuel Dodd. 4th; 2. Aaron, born 11th October, 1779 ; 3. Sarah, born 2d Dec. 1782; 4. Samuel. born 6th March, 1787; 5. Jonas and Hannah, (twins,) born 28th March, 1792; 6. Jonas, born 6th Sept. 1796.
8. Jonathan married Eunice Smith, and had children: 1. Hiram ; 2. Phebe ; 3. Thomas.
9. Thomas married Mary Hallam, and had children : 1. John ; 2. William.
10. Sarah married _____.
ISAAC DODD, (5th child of Daniel Dod, 3d,) and Jemima Williams, had children :
1. Sarah. born 2d March, 1753, married, 1st Matthias Baldwin ; 2. Aura King, and raised two sons and two daughters, and died 1838, aged 85 years.
2. Moses, who married Lois Crane.
3. Abijah, born 9th November, 1758, died September, 1837.
4. Abby, born 8th October, 1759, died 24th December, 1764.
5. Joanna, born 9th March, 1762, married Isaac Baldwin.
6. Abby, 2d, born 26th October, 1764, married Joseph Dodd, 3d.
7. Jephtha, born 17th May, 1767, died young.
8. Jairus, born 21st January, 1770, married 9th September, 1792, Sarah Davis.
9. Isaac, Jun., born 23d December, 1772. He married the widow Jane Smith, and died 8th September, 1806.
MOSES DODD, (2d child of Isaac,) was born 9th December, 1755, married, 3d July, 1775, Lois Crane, born 26th March, 1754, and died 17th October, 1818 ; they had children :
1. Stephen, born 8th March, 1777, married, 1st Phebe Pierson, 29th November, 1799. She was born 25th August, 1776, and died 27th February, 1815. He married, 2d, Abigail Anne Law.
NOTE--Stephen Dodd became a preacher of the gospel; was ordained 28th September, 1803; supplied two congregations seven years, in the town of Carmel, Dutchess county, N. Y. In October, 1810, he removed to the town of Waterbury, Connecticut, and became pastor of the Congregational church of Salem. He resigned that office in 1817, and the 10th December, 1817, was installed pastor of the Congregational church in East Hanover, and was there still in 1839.
2. Hiram, 2d child of Moses, born 22d Nov. 1779, died 21st July, 1823. He married, 14th Feb. 1799, Julia Crane, and had children:
1. Abel Jackson ; 2. Christiana; 3. Fanny ; 4. Mehetnbel, who died 25th June, 1815, aged 12 years ; 5. Moses; 6. Jairus ; 7. Lois ; 8. Stephen ; 9. Lewis ; 10. Margaret, who died young.
3. Abigail, born 20th January, 1782, married, 31st January, 1800, Jacob Ward, Jun.
4. Betsey, born 3d May, 1781, married, 15th October, 1803, Henry King.
5. Ira, born 22d June, 1786, married, 20th September, 1810, Anne Harrison.
6. Fanny, born 25th April, 1791, and married, 15th February, 1813, Rev. Humphry M. Perrine.
IRA DODD, (5th child of Moses,) and Anne Harrison, had children:
1. Mary, who married Isaac Newton Dodd.
2. Moses Woodruff, who is a bookseller in New York.
ABIJAH DODD, (3d child of Isaac Dodd,) married Mary Dodd, and had children :
1. Jephtha married, 1st, Eunice Baldwin, and had children : 1. Betsey ; 2. Mary. And by his 2d wife, Phebe Munn, had a daughter Jane.
2. Cyrus married Mary king, and had a daughter Catherine.
4. Lucy, who died young.
5. Isaac married Catherine Canfield, and had children : 1. Horace; 2. Edwin.
6. Joel married Betsey Harrison, and had children : 1. Phebe; 2. Mary ; 3. Jane ; 4. Cyrus ; 5. David.
9. Abijah, Jun.
10. Lucy, 2d, married Thomas Exley.
JAIRUS DODD, (8th child of Isaac Dodd, son of Daniel, 3d.) born 21st January, 1770, married, 9th September, 1792, Sarah Davis, and had children :
1. Joanna, born 23d January, 1791.
2. William, born 6th June, 1795.
3. Abigail, born 4th June, 1797.
4. Isaac Davis, born 17th April, 1799.
5. Sarah, born April, 1801.
6. Ambrose, born 22d January, 1803.
7. Moses, born 20th March, 1805.
8. Mary, born 20th May, 1807.
9. John, born 4th June, 1809.
10. Nathaniel, born 13th October, 1811.
ISAAC DODD, Jun., (9th child of Isaac, son of Daniel, 3d.) and the widow Jane Smith, had children:
1. Morace St. John, who died in infancy.
2. Rollin Horace, who also died in infancy.
3. Hannah, who married Caleb Davis.
4. Lydia, who married Marquis D. Thomas.
JOSEPH DODD, (6th child of Daniel Dodd, 3d,) and Mary Lindsley, had children:
1. Matthias, who married Sarah Munn.
2. Ebenezer married Deborah Crane.
3. Rachel married Bethuel Munn.
4. Joseph, Jun., married Eunice Baldwin, horn 5th March, 1763 ; she died in 1814.
5. Mary, twin to Joseph, Jun , born 10th October, 1760, married Aaron Williams.
Joseph Dodd, by his 2d wife, Sarah Williams, had other children :
6. Abigail, born 1769, and died 1st September, 1777, aged 8 years.
9. Moses married Mary Smith.
10. Lydia married James Reynolds.
11. Abby married Samuel Crane.
12. Allen married Mary Osborn.
MATTHIAS DODD, (1st son of Joseph, son of Daniel, 3d,) and Sarah Munn, had children :
1. Jared, who went to sea, and was pressed into the British navy.
2. William was killed by lightning, 18th June, 1799, on Governors Island, aged 20 years.
3. Rachel, at 20 years old, was drowned, together with her father and cousin Munn, at Coney Island in 1800.
4. Lewis ; 5. Abby ;IL Charlotte ; 7. Nancy ; 8. Mary ; 9. Bethuel.
EBENEZER DODD, (2d son of Joseph, son of Daniel, 3d,) and Deborah Crone, had children :
1. Betsey ; 2.Orra Buel ; 3 Mary ; 4. Nancy ; 5. Lois ; 6. Ebenezer. Jun. ; 7. Joseph Holloway ; 8. Joseph Horton; 9, John ; 10. Valeria.
JOSEPH DODD, Jun., (3d child of Joseph, son. of Daniel, 3d,) and Eunice Baldwin, had children :
1. Mary, born 27th March, 1786.
2. Sarah. born 11th September, 1788, died in 1813.
3. Joseph, 3d, born 12th September, 1790, married, in 1813, Nancy Clark.
4. Louisa, born 1st November, 1792.
5. Zophar Baldwin. born 28th October, 1794, married Jane Cochran, born 12th May, 1791.
6. Lydia, born 1st November, 1796.
7. Martha, born 27th November, 1798, and died in 1805.
8. William, born 28th February, 1801, and died in 1824.
9. Matthias, born 3d April, 1803, and died in 1805.
JOSEPH DODD, 3d, (3d son of Joseph Dodd, Jun.,) and Nancy Clark, had children :
1. Sarah ; 2. Amarintha ; 3. Caroline ; 4. Margaret ; 5. George ; 6. William ; 7. Eunice.
ZOPHAR B. DODD, (5th child of Joseph Dodd, Jun., son of Joseph,) and Jane Cochran, had children :
1. Thomas Cochran, born 15th January, 1818.
2. Sarah Louisa, born 22d February, 1819.
3. Mary Jane, born 23d May, 1820.
4. Esther Caroline, born 19th December, 1821.
5. Edward Mills, born 22d June, 1824.
6. Esther Catherine, born 26th June, 1829.
7. Catherine Mariah, born 8th October, 1835.
MOSES DODD, (9th child of Joseph 1st, son of Daniel, 3d,) and Mary Smith, had children :
1. Mary ; 2. Moses, Jun. ; 3. Edward ; 4. Jane.
ALLEN DODD, (11th child of Joseph, 1st, son of Daniel, 3d,) and Mary Osborn, had children :
1. Joseph, who died, 3d September, 1816, in his 5th year.
2. George ; 3. Daniel ; 4. Mary ; 5. Elizabeth.
AMOS DODD, (8th child of Daniel Dod, 3d,) and Hannah Condit, had children:
1. Isaac, born 27th June, 1763, married Polly James, who died 8th December, 1826, in her 68th year.
2. Eunice, born 2d June, 1765, married Joel Williams.
3. Mary, born 29th July, 1768, married John Condit.
4. Sarah, born 4th August, 1770, married Squier Baldwin, and died 25th November, 1832.
5. Elizabeth, born 28th February, 1773, and died 4th October, 1776.
6. Daniel, born 2d March, 1776, married Esther Ward.
7. Amos, Jun, born 4th October, 1781, married Polly Canfield.
ISAAC DODD, (1st son of Amos, 8th child of Daniel, 3d,) and Polly James, had children:
1. Betsey, who married Eleazer D. Ward.
2. Lucy married Jabez Cook.
DANIEL DODD, (6th child of Amos, 8th child of Daniel, 3d,) and Esther Ward, had children :
1. Phebe, who married Jacob K. Mead.
2. Lewis ; 3. Josiah ; 4. Philetta ; 5. Abby ; 6. Isaac Newton ; 7. Sarah Anne ; 8. Augustus.
AMOS DODD, Jun., (7th child of of Amos, 8th child of Daniel, 3d,) and Polly Canfield, had children :
1. James Collard; 2. David Canfield; 3. Harriet Newel.
CALEB DODD, (9th child of Daniel Dod, 3d,) and Hannah Harrison, had children :
1. Rebecca, who married Joseph Patterson.
2. Elijah married Lois Williams, and had one son, Jabez, and four daughters. One of his daughters married William Scott, and another married the Rev. Mr. Thanhouse.
3. Caleb, Jun., married Polly Bates, and had children : 1. Elijah ; 2. Phebe ; 3. Sarah ; 4. Philemon ; 5. Ezra Squiers.
STEPHEN DOD, 2d, (2d son of Daniel Dod, Jun., son of Daniel, 1st,) and Phebe Harrison, had children :
1. Nathaniel, who married Ruth Condit.
2. Silas married Hannah Smith.
3. Stephen, 3d, married Ruth Peck.
4. Joshua married Abigail Condit.
5. Phebe married Jonathan Williams.
NATHANIEL DODD, (1st child of Stephen, 2d, son of Daniel, Jun.) and Ruth Condit, had children:
1. Parmeneus, who married Jane Crane.
2. Matthew married Charlotte Martin, and died 20th April, 1826.
3. Mary married Daniel Condit.
5. Jane married Nathaniel Harrison.
6. Reuben married Lydia Dodd.
Reuben was drowned in the Narrows of New York Bay in 1802.
PARMENEUS DODD, (1st son of Nathaniel, son of Stephen, 2d,) and Jane Crane, had children :
1. Thaddeus ; 2. Nathaniel ; 3. Stephen ; 4. Jephtha ; 5. Daniel ; 6. Matthew ; 7. Albert ; 8. Abner ; 9. Reuben 10. Isaac.
MATTHEW DODD, (2d son of Nathaniel, son of Stephen, 2d,) and Charlotte Martin, had children :
1. Jane ; 2. Caroline, who died at two years.
REUBEN DODD, (6th child of Nathaniel, son of Stephen, 2d,) and Lydia Dodd, had children :
1. Zebina ; 2. Nathaniel.
SILAS DOD, (2d child of Stephen Dod, 2d,) and Hannah Smith, had children :
1 . Dorcas, who married Sophia Condit.
2. Jane married Amos Munn.
STEPHEN DODD, 3d, (3d child of Stephen Dod, 2d,) and Ruth Peck, had children :
I. Jemima ; 2. Phebe ; 3, Stephen, 4th ; 4. Jeriah ; 5. Abigail.
JOSHUA DODD, (4th child of Stephen Dod, 2d,) and Abigail Condit, had children :
1. Bethuel graduated at (Queen's now) Girard College. New Brunswick, and became the pastor of the Presbyterian church at Whitesborough, New York, about 1794, and died 1799.
2. Nathaniel, who married Lucy Baldwin.
3. Phebe married Ichabod Harrison.
4. Betsey married Stephen Harrison.
NATHANIEL DODD, (2d child of Joshua Dodd,) and Lucy Baldwin, had children :
1. Bethuel ; 2. Matthias ; 3. Robert ; 4. Alvin ; 5. William.
JOHN DOD, (3d child of Daniel Dod, Jun.,) and Miss Samson, had children :
1. John, Jun., who married Jane Smith.
2. David married Sarah Harrison.
He died 31st March, 1817, aged 83. She died 12th March, 1827, aged 90 years.
3. Abigail married Job Crane.
4. Mary married David Chandler.
5. Phebe married Elihu Ward.
6. Elizabeth married John Peck.
JOHN DODD, Jun., (1st son of John, son of Daniel Dod, Jun.,) and Jane Smith, had children :
1. Hannah, who married Bethuel Ward.
2. Utilizer married Abigail Harrison.
3. Uzel married Phebe Freeman.
4. John, 3d, born 5th November, 1761, and died 5th Sept. 1826, aged 65 years. He wes colonel of the militia and commanded the detachment composing the Essex county regiment at Sandy Hook, in 1814, and subsequently became general. He married Abigail Dodd.
5. Linus, who married Betsey Pierson.
ELEAZAR DODD, (2d child of John Dodd, Jun.,) and Abigail Harrison, had children : 1. Hannah ; 2. Stephen ; 3. Abiel ; 4. Lydia.
UZEL DODD, (3d son of John Dodd, Jun., son of John) and Phebe Freeman, had children :
1. Mary, who married Caleb Baldwin.
2. Samuel Morris, and his only son Samuel C., both died 24th October. 1831, by entering into an old cistern to cleanse it, and died. as was supposed, in consequence of bad air in it.
GEN. JOHN DODD, (4th child of John Dodd, Jun.,) and Abigail Dodd, had children :
2. Jane, who married Joseph Rogers.
3. Joseph Smith graduated at Princeton College in 1813. He studlied physi. and practised in Bloomfield and vicinity. He married Miss Grover, daughter of the Rev. Mr Grover, of Cauldlwell. He was state senator under the new constitution of New Jersey.
4. Amzi also graduated at Princeton. and enraged in the practice of the law. He was a member of council, and of the assembly of the state legislature. He died in 1838, unmarried.
5. Sarah married William Whelpley.
6. Charlotte married Hugh Randolph.
8. Louisa married Jesse Pitt, Esq.
Dr. JOSEPH S. DODD, (3d child of General John Dodd,) and Miss Grover, had children :
2. Amazi, who graduated at Princeton.
3. Stephen Grover, who also graduated at Princeton.
4. A daughter.
And by his 2d wife Doct. Dodd had two children.
LINUS DODD, (5th son of John Dodd, Jun., son of John,) and Betsey Pierson, had children :
1. Acsah, who married Daniel D. Condit.
DAVID DODD, (2d son of John Dodd,) and Sarah Harrison, had children:
1. Polly, who married Abijah Dodd.
2. Zebina married Betsey Range.
3. Elizabeth, who died 21st August, 1794, aged 30 years.
4. David, Jun., married Lydia Ward.
6. Abby married John Baldwin.
8. Lydia married, 1st, Reuben Dodd ; 2d, John Baldwin.
ZEBINA DODD, (2d child of David, son of John,) and Betsey Range, had children :
2. Lydia, who both died with consumption, unmarried.
3. Nancy, who married Mr. Meeker.
4. John Range.
DAVID DODD, Jun., (4th child of David, son of John,) and Lydia Ward, had children :
1. Ezra ; 2. Mary ; 3. Chandler ; 4. Reuben ; 5. Joshua ; 6. Margaret; 7. Almira, who died 16th September, I822.
STEPHEN DOD, (the 5th child of Daniel Dod, lst,) married Mary Stevens, and settled in Guilford, Connecticut. They had children :
1. Daniel, who was born about 1679, and married :Elizabeth ____, at about 22 years. He removed to Newark, when he was about 27 years of age.
2. Samuel married Hannah Savage, of Middletown, Connecticut, 19th January, 1704. Their father Stephen had divided his lands in Guilford equally between Daniel and Samuel.
Daniel sold, and by will quit-claim dated May 3d, 1707, by his father, Stephen, to his brother Samuel, of Guilford; most of these lands are in the possession of the descendants of Samuel Dod to this time (1839).
DANIEL DOD, (son of Stephen, son of Daniel Dod, lst,) and his wife Elizabeth, had children :
1. Stephen, born 4th April, 1703, and married Deborah Brown.
2. John married Jemima Harrison.
3. Timothy married _____.
STEPHEN DODD, (son of Daniel, son of Stephen,) and Deborah Brown, had children:
1. Zebina, who married Mary Baldwin.
2. Thaddeus married Phebe Baldwin.
He graduated at Princeton College, and studied theology.
3. Daniel married Charity Freeman, and had children : 1. Silas; 2. Ithiel; 3. Daniel.
4. Parmeneus married Patience Wright, and had children : 1. Daniel ; 2. Mary ; .3. Ziba ; 4. Phebe ; 5. Stephen ; 6. Azubah ; 7. Sarah.
5. Uzel married Abigail Homan, and had an only child Martha.
6. Elizabeth ; 7. Keziah ; 8. Deborah ; 9. Sarah ; 10. Hannah ; 11. Abigail.
LEBBEUS DODD, (1st child of Stephen, son of Daniel,) and Mary Baldwin, had children :
1. Hannah ; 2. Eunice ; 3. Phebe ; 4. Stephen married Mehetabel Gould ; 5. Abner married Hannah Gould ; 6. Rachel; 7. Mary ; 8. Daniel married Nancy Squier; 9. Abigail ; 10. Elizabeth.
REV. THADDEUS DODD, (2d child of Stephen, son of Daniel,) graduated at Princeton College, in 1773, and settled in the gospel ministry in Western Pennsylvania. He and Phebe Baldwin had children :
1. Cephas ; 2. Stephen ; 3. Sarah.
STEPHEN DODD, (4th child of Lebbeus, son of Stephen,) lived in Newark; was a surveyor and judge of the court of common pleas in Essex county. He and Mehetabel Gould had children :
3. John Gould.
4. Sarah Anne.
9. William graduated at Princeton College in 1833, and is Professor of Mathematics in Center College, Kentucky.
ABNER DODD, (5th child of Lebbeus, son of Stephen,) was a mathematical instrument maker in Newark. He and Hannah Gould had children :
1. Horace ; 2. Susan ; 3. Charles ; 4. Jacob ; 5. Catherine ; 6. Abby Elizabeth married, 13th June, 1850, John W. Stryker.
DANIEL DODD, (8th child of Lebbeus, son of Stephen,) was a machinist. He made the machinery for a steamboat at Elizabethtown, New Jersey, and went towards New York to try it, when he with his assistants were blown up, and perished in the ruins. He, with his wife Nancy Squier, had children :
1. Ezra Kitchel.
2, Lewis Southard.
5. Albert Baldwin (Rev.) graduated at Princeton College in 1822, and was Professor of Mathematics in that college till his death.
8. William graduated at Princeton College, and is a Presbyterian minister ; preaches at Port Richmond, near Philadelphia.
JOHN DODD, (son of Daniel, son of Stephen, son of Daniel, 1st,) and Jemima Harrison, had children :
1. Adonijah, who married Mary Ogden.
2. Mathias died unmarried.
3. James married Sarah Harrison.
4. Cody died unmarried.
5. Abel married Martha Osborn.
6. Jemima died unmarried.
7. Betsey died unmarried.
ADONIJAH DODD, (3d son of John, son of Daniel,) and Mary Ogden, had children:
1. Aaron ; 2. Catherine ; 3. Samuel ; 4. Matthew.
JAMES DODD, (son of John, son of Daniel,) and Sarah Harrison; had children :
1. Abraham ; 2. Phebe ; 3. Hannah; 4. Naomi.
ABEL DODD, (5th child of John, son of Daniel,) and Martha Osborn, had children :
1. Jemima ; 2. Rachel ; 3. Polly ; 4. Phebe ; 5. John ; 6. William, who died in infancy ; 7th, William, 2d, who also died in infancy.
TIMOTHY DODD, (brother of John, and son of Daniel, son of Stephen,) married _____, and had children :
1. Jesse, who married Miss Perry, and had children: 1. Joseph. 2. A daughter, who married Mr. Riker.
2. Timothy, who died unmarried.
3. Phebe, who died unmarried.
SAMUEL DOD, (2d son of Stephen, son of Daniel, 1st,) and Hannah Savage, lived in Guilford, Connecticut, and had children: (NOTE.--Samuel died 24th May, 1757.)
1, Ebenezer, born 22d December, 1703, married, 1st, Sarah White, of Hadley, and died 19th May, 1782.
2. Samuel, Jun., born 28th February, 1707, and died 25th Aug. 17[third digit illegible]1, unmarried.
3. Hannah, born 25th July, 1712, married, 18th May, 1737, Thomas Burgis. They had two sons and three daughters; one of the sons died in infancy. She (Hannah) died 26th July, 1795.
4. Sarah, born 24th April. 1715, married John Burgis. She (Sarah,) died January, 17S7. They had no children.
Ebenezer married, 31st August, 1737, Hannah Benton, his 2d wife, and for his 3d wife married, 22d April, 1741, Mary Evarts, and had a daughter Mary, born 10th January, 1742, and died within 20 days and ; the mother died 18th November, 1790.
EBENEZER DOD, (son of Samuel, of Guilford, Connecticut,) and Sarah White, had children :
1. Sarah, who married Giles White of Hadley.
2. Mary married Leumen Ward, of Guilford.
Both returned from Guilford many years since. The Dod family in Guilford, in the line of Samuel, is extinct.
In a town meeting at Newark, 13th February, 1679, Samuel Dod, (the 6th child of the English Daniel Dod, 1st,) of Branford, was admitted a citizen and a planter, and had his land assigned him on the hill at the north end of the town, since called Governor Place.
Subsequently he had new lands assigned him on the East side of his brother Daniel's land on Watssessing Place. He had a son:
1. Samuel, Jun., born about 1694, married Mary Pierson. He died 16th April, 1774, in his 78th year, she died in 1793 [3 or 5], about June. They had children:
1. Martha, born 20th May, 1731, and married Matthew Harrison.
2. Mary, born 16th December, 1732.
3. Hannah, born 18th December, 1734, married ____ Smith.
4. Samuel, 3d, born 11th January, 1736, married, lst, Elizabeth Hinman: 2d, Sarah Baldwin ; and died of small-pox, in July, 1795.
5. Aaron, born 13th January, 1738, and died 9th March, 1821, aged 83 years.
6. Rebecca, born 5th Feb. 1740, married Samuel Fairchild.
7. Keturah, born 26th July, 1744.
8. Jemima, born 25th March, 1747, married Isaac Suverill.
SAMUEL, DOD, 3d, (son of Samuel Dod, Jun.,) and Elizabeth Hinman, had children:
1. Jonas, born 1762, and died 20.h August, 1770, aged 8 years.
2. Naomi, born 1764, and died 24th May, 1766.
3. Abiathar, who married, 1st, Cornelia Cadmus ; 2d, Sophia Cogswell ; 3d. Mary Bigelow.
And by his 2d wife, who died 14th October, 1819, he had:
4. Elizabeth, who died 201h August, 1770, in her 2d year.
5. Elizabeth, 2d. who died 13th June, 1790, aged 16 years.
6. Samuel, 4th, who married Jemima Dodd.
7. Abner married, 1st, Betsey Canfield ; 2d, Charlotte Walter, and died 17th January, 1833.
9. Naomi, who married Joseph S. Ward.
ABIATHAR DODD, (3d child of Samuel Dod, 3d,) and his 1st wife, Cornelia Cadmus, had a daughter.
1. Cornelia ;
and by his 2d wife, Sophia Cogswell, had children:
2. Christopher Cadmus Washington.
and by his 3d wife, Mary Bigelow, had:
SAMUEL DODD, 4th, (6th child of Samuel Dodd, 3d,) and Jemima Dodd, had children :
1. Samuel, 5th.
3. Aaron, who married Sarah Nutman, who died 20th September, 1805, aged 60 years.
6. Lorinda married Isaac King.
ABNER DODD, (7th child of Samuel Dodd, 3d,) and Betsey Canfield, had children :
1. Eliza ; 2. Abner; 3. John; 4. Anne;
and by his 2d wife, Charlotte Walter, Abner Dodd had:
5. Samuel ; 6. Charlotte.
AARON DODD, (3d child of Samuel Dodd, 4th,) and Sarah Nutman, had children:
1. Mary, who married the Rev. Amzi Armstrong, of Mendham.
2. Job, who died of cholera, 1834, aged 58 years.
3. Rebecca married Samuel Ingham.
4. Joanna, who died 27th September, 1815, aged 58 years.
5. Robert married Rebecca Randall, and had a daughter, who died of consumption.
6. George Adams, who died 6th February, 1812, in his 24th year.
The family of Aaron Dod is now extinct in the male line.