Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
CONNET to CONGAR
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
HENRY CONNET died July 10th, 1761, aged 63 years. The widow Connet, mother of Deacon William Connet, died 31st Aug., 1771 ; they had children:
1. William Connet lived opposite the Franklin Mill, and was a deacon and elder in the Presbyterian church, in New Providence. He married, 18th December, 1766, Sarah Rogers, and 2d, Mary, the widow of Aaron Decamp, 24th May, 1790.
2. John Connet married, 13th December, 1767, Rachel Allen.
3. Daniel Connet married, 26th November, 1769, Eleanor Woodruff.
4. Hannah Connet, who died, 14th ,May, 1764, unmarried.
DEACON WILLIAM CONNET, and Sarah Rogers, had children ;
1. William Connet, Jun., who married, 25th April, 1791, Charity Bowers.
2. Jemima Connet, baptized 21st April, 1771 ; married, 10th 3 April, 1793, Daniel Bowers.
3. Sally Connet married, 14th November, 1793, Phinehas Bowers.
4. Henry Connet married, and lived at Waterstreet, near Mendham, and had children :
1. Lockey, who married Mr. Lindley, and went to Mount Auburn, Illinois.
2. Mary married Charles Marsh ; lived at Morristown.
4. William, who went to Ohio, and died there.
5. Ira, who married Phebe Runnels, and had children : 1. George Minton ; 2. Sarah Wilson ; 3. Mary Elizabeth ; 4. Henry, who died unmarried ; 5. Samuel Runnels ; 6. Caroline ; 7. Louisa ; S. Henrietta ; 9. Florentine.
The parents of Daniel Cooper emigrated from Holland to New York, in the year 1695. It is said that he was born at sea on their voyage, and that the father never arrived. He was born May 1st, 1695, and married, 17th April, 1726, Grace Runyon; lived in Piscataway, and removed to Passaic Valley, Morris County, in March, 1732. He bought lot No. 2, of the Berkeley tract, containing 500, acres, lying east of and adjoining the quarter owned by Jacob Carle. They had children :
1. Catherine, who was born January, 1728, and married Colonel Cornelius Ludlow.
2. Daniel Cooper, Jun., born 14th January, 1729, and died May, 1787.
3. Agnes, born 15th May, 1732.
4. Peter, born 11th February, 1735, died October, 1755.
5. John, born 20th August, 1738, died 31st March, 1778.
6. Benjamin, born 13th December, 1741, died December, 1794.
7. Rosannah, born 26th March, 1743, died
8. George, born 20th August, 1745, died 20th September, 1801.
9. Providence, born 27th March, 1748, died February, 1798.
10. Anne, born 4th October, 1750, died 6th February, 1795. Anne married Jonas Carle, son of Jacob. [See Carle.]
Daniel Cooper had six wives :
1. Grace Runyon, born January, 1706, and died November, 1755.
2. Jane Westbrook.
3. Grace Manning, died April, 1777.
4. Widow Fanny Jones, died January, 1787.
5. Barbara Margaret Gibbs, who died December, 1789.
6. Hannah Martin, widow of Colonel Ephraim Martin. He died, 2d May, 1795, aged 100 years.
DANIEL COOPER, Jun., Esq., (son of Daniel, lst,) married, 1st, Miss Conover; 2. Nancy Cross, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Cross. He lived in Passaic Valley, on the 500 acre tract of his father. By his first wife he had a daughter, Catherine Cooper, who married her cousin, John Ludlow, of Long Hill, son of Colonel Cornelius Ludlow.
And by his 2d wife, Nancy Cross, had children :
2. Lydia, who married Samuel Annin.
3. Polly, who married Mr. ____ Crane.
4. Peter married Susan Boyle, daughter of Joseph, of Long Hill.
5. William went to Kentucky.
6. Doctor John, who settled at Easton, Pennsylvania.
7. Stephen married Mahetabel, widow of John Colwell, and daughter of Colonel Israel Day.
8. Anne married Alexander Richards, of Rahway.
9. Betsey married Henry Freeman, of Elizabethtown.
10. Sally married Capt. David Kirkpatrick, of Mine Brook, as his 2d wife.
11. Daniel, 3d, who went to Kentucky.
12. Joseph also went to Kentucky.
PETER COOPER, (4th child of Daniel Cooper, Jun.,) lived on Long Hill, on the 500 acre tract of his father. He and Susan Boyle had children:
1. William, who married his cousin, Sally Anne Cooper, only child of Stephen Cooper and Mahetabel Day. And she, Sally Anne Cooper, died 25th October, 1846, without children : and he married ____, daughter of Elias Brown, Esq., of Pluckemin.
2. Caty Anne, who married Abraham Dunn.
3. Joseph, who died in youth.
4. John, who also died in youth.
5. Alexander married, 31st December, 1849, Abby Parrot daughter of Squier Parrot.
JOHN COOPER, (5th child of Daniel Cooper, Sen.,) married Lynche Boyle, daughter of Solomon Boyle, 1st, and had children:
1. Lynche, who married William Annin.
2. Susan married Squier Martin, son of Colonel Ephraim Martin.
3. Charity married Samuel Sayre, of Madison.
4. Daniel married Sally Manning.
5. Solomon, who lived and died on Long Hill, unmarried. He owned part of the 500 acre tract ; he was an Elder in the Basking Ridge church.
6. Neaty married David Crane, of Union, in Essex County. They had no children.
BENJAMIN COOPER, (6th child of Daniel Cooper, Sen.,) married and had children :
1. Polly, who married, 1st, Mr. Cross, 2d, John Annin, as his 2d wife.
2. Caty married Amos Dayton, son of Jonathan, of Basking Ridge.
GEORGE COOPER, (8th child of Daniel Cooper, Sen.,) lived where his father and grandfather did. He married Margaret Lafferty, and had children :
1. Daniel C. Cooper, who went to Dayton, Ohio, and settled. He was the principal proprietor of the town. He was born 21st November, 1773 ; married Miss Green, in Ohio ; had several children ; and died, 13th July, 1818 ; and his wife and children have all died.
2. Bryan Lafferty Cooper, born 6th January, 1775, died 12th June, 179S, unmarried.
3. Mary Cooper, born 30th March, 1778, and died 27th Jan., 1794, unmarried.
4. John G. Cooper, born 24th March, 1780, and died 24th October, 1822, at 42 years and 7 months.
5. Fanny Cooper, born 20th November, 1782, and died 28th September, 1811, unmarried.
JOHN G. COOPER, Esq., (4th child of George Cooper, son of Daniel Cooper, Sen.,) lived in the valley where his father did. He married Eleanor Perrine, and had children :
1. George, who went to Michigan ; is Treasurer of that State.
3. Harriet, who married Calvin Bonnel, son of Enos, son of Benjamin.
ELIAS CORIELL was son of Abraham Coriell, of Piscataway. Elias Coriell came up from Piscataway, and settled on Long Hill, on No. 1 of the Berkley tract, adjoining Solomon Boyle's tract. He married Sarah Runyon, daughter of Richard, and had children:
I. Jane, who married John Melick, son of David, of Peapack, and removed to Schoharie, New York.
2. Peter married Sally Lindley, of New Vernon.
3. David married Anna Squier, daughter of Thomas.
4. Anne married John Kirkpatrick, son of Thomas, of Liberty Corner. (See Kirkpatrick.)
5. Sally married Stephen Conklin, son of William, Esq., of Basking Ridge. [See Conklin.]
6. Lydia, twin to Sally, married Isaac Davis, of Plainfield, as 2d wife. She died, 29th September, 1846, leaving no children.
JANE CORIELL, (1st child of Elias Coriell) and John Melick, had children:
1. Elias C. Melick ; 2. Aaron Melick; 3. Peter Melick ; 4. Sarah Melick; 5. Charlotte Melick; 6. Jane Melick.; 7. Anne Melick.
PETER CORIELL, (2d child of Elias Coriell,) lived near Dead River, S. W. of the Stonehouse. He and Sally Lindley had children:
1 Elias, who accidentally got killed on board a ferry boat coming from New York.
2. Philip married _____; lives in Dayton, Ohio.
8. David married Rachel Nesbitt, daughter of James, near Basking Ridge, and has children : 1. Peter, who went to Illinois ; 2. James.
4. Richard married Abigail Squier, daughter of Ludlow, of Plainfield, and had children : 1. Elias ; 2. Anne Elizabeth.
5. Israel (Doctor) was killed by falling, or being dashed, from his sulkey in the road.
6. John, who died at home, unmarried.
7. Mary married Abraham Bing, son of John, near Liberty Corner, and had a child, Mary, and then died ; Mary King married Robert Cross Hallman, son of Joseph Bullman, of Warren Township, and went to illinois.
Mrs. Peter Coriell died 29th March, 1849.
DAVID C4RIELL, (3d child of Elias Coriell,) and Anna Squier, lived in Elizabethtown, and had children:
1. Augustus ; 2. Edwin ; S. John ; 4. Helen ; 5. Rachel.
Mr. David Coriell died in Elizabethtown of a dreadful disease, with much the appearance of leprosy, and the widow and all the family removed to Dubuque, in Wisconsin, and the widow died there, on the 13th July, 1846, aged 60 years.
STEPHEN CORWIN lived between the mountains near Feltville. He married Betsey Drew, daughter of George Drew of Springfield Township. They had children:
1. John, who married Betsey French, daughter of David French, Sen.
2. Polly, who died, aged about 30 years, unmarried.
3. Anne married Samuel Price, son of Rice Price. [See Rice Price.]
4. Abby married Cornelius Willcox, son of Noah Wilcox, Sen. [See Willcox.]
5. Noah ; 6. Nathan; 7. Isaac ; these three went to the Lakes, New York.
His wife, Betsey, died, and he married the widow of Noah Willcox, Sen.
Nancy Corwin, a daughter of Stephen, married Jonas Frazee, son of Samuel Frazee and Sarah Littell, and went to Ohio. [See Sarah Littell, 4th child of Benjamin.]
ELDER BENJAMIN CORY
BENJAMIN CORY lived west of Elizabethtown, towards Westfield. He was an elder in the 1st church of Elizabethtown. He married Hannah Mulford, sister of Thomas Mulford, of Elizabethtown, and had children:
1. Mulford; who married, 1st, Betsey Clark ; 2d. Maria Conklin.
2. Polly, who married David Mulford, son of Jonathan Mulford, Jun., of New Providence. They both died, leaving no children.
3. Hannah, who married William Meeker, son of Moses Meeker.
4. Phebe married Ezekiel Miller.
5. Abigail married Joseph Hinds.
MULFORD CORY, (1st child of Elder Benjamin Cory,) with his first wife, Betsey Clark, lived near Union Village, Somerset County, and had children :
1. Jonathan, who died at nine weeks old, 15th January, 1792.
2. Charlotte, who died, September, 1802, aged 9 years.
3. Mary, who married Mr. Stedman.
4. Fanny, who married James H. Smith, son of Oliver Smith, of Elizabethtown.
His wife, Betsey, died 18th September, 1802, aged 31 years. He then removed to near Elizabethtown, and married, 2d, Mariah Conklin, and had children:
5. Joseph, who married Mary M. Magie, daughter of Elder David Magie, of Elizabethtown.
6. Benjamin Crane, twin to Joseph, married Mary M. Crane, daughter of Job Crane, of Elizabethtown.
7. Aaron C. Cory, who died at about 19 years.
Mr. Mulford Cory died in 1814, aged 47 years.
Joseph and Benjamin Cory entered Princeton College together, and graduated at the same time. Studied theology ; were licensed on the same day to preach the gospel, 1834 ; were both ordained at the same session of Presbytery, in April, 1835, Joseph over the congregation of New Vernon, Morris County, and Benjamin over the congregation at Perth Amboy, Middlesex County.
REV. JOSEPH CORY, (5th child of Mulford Cory, son of Elder Benjamin,) and Mary M. Magie, had children: 1. Joseph, who died in infancy ; 2. David Magie Cory.
REV. BENJAMIN CORY, (twin to Rev. Joseph Cory,) and Mary M. Crane, had children :
1. Julia ; 2. Jane ; 3. Mary ; 4. Benjamin, who died in infancy ; 5. Sarah.
HANNAH CORY, (3d child of Elder Benjamin Cory,) and William Meeker, had children :
1. Moses Meeker, who died at about 12 years.
2. Mary Meeker, who died at about 20 years, unmarried.
3. Hannah Meeker, who married Andrew Crane.
4. Jonathan Meeker.
5. Abby Meeker.
6. Anne Meeker, who died at about 20 years, unmarried.
7. Susan Meeker.
ABIGAIL CORY, (5th child of Elder Benjamin Cory, and Joseph Hinds, had children :
1. Elizabeth Hinds, who married James Mulford, son of Jonathan.
2. Phebe Hinds married Mr. ____ Clark.
3. Jennette Hinds.
4. Lydia Hinds married _____.
5. Benjamin Hinds went to St. Louis, and married and died there.
6. Julia Hinds.
DANIEL CORY lived on the north side of Long Hill, where Israel Bebout, his grandson, now lives. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church in New Providence. He married Martha Bedell, daughter of John Bedell, Jun, She died 9th April, 1791, aged 54, and he died 26th Jane, 1815, aged 82 years.
They had children :
1. Benjamin, who died in youth.
2. Susannah, who married Gideon Allen, son of Joseph, Jun. [See Allen.]
3. Israel married, 26th February, 1787, Sarah Cauldwell, daughter of William Cauldwell, son of James.
4. Sally married Stephen Bebout, son of Peter. She died 5th July, 1843. [See Bebout.]
5. Daniel, Jun., married Joanna Ludlow, daughter .of Jacob Ludlow, of Westfield, whose wife was Phebe ; who after his death married, 25th September, 1791, Elder Daniel Cory, for his 2d wife. [See Obadiah Ludlow.]
ISRAEL CORY, (3d child of Eider Daniel Cory) and Sarah Cauldwell, had children:
1. William, who married Rachel Toms.
2. Israel married _____.
3. Electa died in youth ; —was drowned in Simpson's mill-pond.
4. Betsey Cauldwell, baptized 15th April, 1792, and died young.
William and Israel removed to western New York, north of Auburn.
Israel Cory died, 25th November, 1792, aged 26 years. His wife, Sarah, died a few years after.
DANIEL CORY, Jun., (5th child of Elder Daniel Cory,) and Joanna Ludlow, had. children:
1. Ludlow, who married Sarah Kelly, in New York. They had a daughter, Sarah, and his wife died, and he went to Vicksburg, Mississippi, and died there.
2. Benjamin, who married Hannah Cory, daughter of Noah Cory, of Scotch Plains, and had but one child, Albinos.
Benjamin Cory died suddenly, in a fit, 26th Feb. 1848.
3. Martha married Joseph Parrot, son of Thomas Parrot, Esq. She had but one child: 1. Phebe, who married Augustine Trowbridge, and had children : 1. Martha Jane ; 2. Joanna : and Phebe died May 1st, 1847.
ELNATHAN CORY lived in a house near where now stands the house of the Rev. Waters Burrows. His wife's name was Hannah. He owned about 200 acres there, formerly owned by Jacob Carle, and also about 100 acres, No. 38, of the Elizabethtown lots, south of that tract.
He died the 8th October, 1766, aged 65 years.
His wife died 24th January, 1785. He left his lands to his five sons.
1. Ebenezer, who married, for a 2d wife, Mary or Molly Mills, of Westfield: He lived where his father did, and owned west of the parsonage lot. He died 14th April, 1784.
2. Jeremy, who owned next west of Ebenezer, and sold to Dr. Jacob Jennings, who built the " Red House," by the well, west of Nathan Elmer's present dwelling. Jeremy Cory married, 18th December, 1764, Mary Wood. She died 25th June, 1776. They lived in Morris County, where Luke Parsons now does, and had children: 1. Daniel Cory ; 2. Noah Cory ; 3. Hannah Cory.
3. Thomas married Jane Roll, said to be sister of John Roll, son of John, 1st. He lived where Mrs. Noe now lives. and had children :1. Cate Cory ; 2. Betsey Cory ; 3. James Cory ; 4. Mary Cory.
4. James lived where Jonathan M. Meeker now does. He married Patty Carter, of Chatham, and had children : 1. Jacob Cory ; 2. Luke Cory ; 3. Simeon Cory.
5. Joseph lived in 1775, in a house that stood in William Kindell's orchard, south of Benjamin Pike's house. He married, 10th September, 1765, Phebe Simpson, a sister or daughter of old Alexander Simpson, and had children :
1. Nathan Cory. 2. Jacob Cory. 3. Stephen Cory, who died 13th January, 1773. 4. Elizabeth Cory, who died 15th January, 1773. 5. Joseph Cory, Jun., married, 22d July, 1783, Martha Morehouse.
6. Job married, and had a son, David Parsons Cory, and went to the Mississippi.
EBENEZER CORY, (eldest son of Elnathan Cory,) and his 1st wife, Hannah, who died 25th October, 1763 ; had a daughter, Sarah, who married, 1st, John Johnson ; 2d, David Martin : and by his 2d wife, Molly Mills, had children :
2. John, who married 15th June, 1774, Rebecca Raimond, and went with the militia to Ticonderoga, and there died.
3. Ebenezer, Jun., who died 20th December, 1772.
4. Elnathan married Sarah Walker, daughter of Richard and Sarah Walker.
5. Hannah married, 2d October, 1775, John Walker, son of Richard.
6. Samuel married Hannah Davis, sister of Jonathan and Elijah Davis, and had children : 1. Mary ; 2. Hannah ; 3. John Cory.
7. William, who died at 22 years.
8. George, born 15th September, 1772, married Rachel Price, born 20th March, 1771, daughter of Abraham Price.
10. Mary, who died 6th November, 1784.
GEORGE CORY, (8th child of Ebenezer,) and Rachel Price, had children :
1. Mary Anne, who married Lewis Osborn, son of John Osborn, Jun. [See Osborn.]
2. Locky married Daniel Oakley, son of Thomas. [See Oakley.]
3. Betsey married William M. Griffin, son of Isaac. [See Griffin.]
4. Benjamin married Eliza Wilcox, daughter of Benjamin ; has no children.
5. William, born 13th July, 1802, married Harriet Leforge, born 4th August, 1802, daughter of Abraham, of Somerset Co.
6. Polly married, 15th June, 1822, George Van Benscoten, of New York.
7. Sally married, 4th February, 1824, James C. Vaught, of New York.
8. Hannah, born 20th October, 1810, married William Ryckbeck, of New York ; had no children. He was killed by the upsetting of a locomotive engine.
9. Jane, who died in youth.
10. Abby married David Devoe, of New York.
WILLIAM CORY, (son of George, son of Ebenezer,) and Harriet Leforge, had children :
1. Abraham Morrel, born 1st August, 1828 ;
2. Mary Elizabeth, born 31st August, 1835 ;
3. William Ryckbeck, born 8th April, 1837 ;
4. Apollos Elmer, born April ____.
POLLY CORY, (daughter of George;) and George Van Benscoten, had children :
1. Mary Jane Van Benscoten ; 2. Sarah Van Benscoten ; 3. Henry Van Benscoten ; 4. John Van Benscoten ; 5. George Van Benscoten ; 6. Tunis Van Benscoten ; 7. James Van Benscoten ; 8. Martha Van Benscoten.
SALLY CORY, (daughter of George,) and James C. Vaught, had children :
1. George C. Vaught, born 19th July, 1828.
2. John William Vaught.
Mrs. Vaught then died.
ABBY CORY, (daughter of George,) and David Devoe, had children :
1. Sarah Anne Devoe ; 2. Theodore Devoe ; 3. Almira Devoe ; 4. Mary Louisa Devoe; 5. Leander Devoe ; 6. Emmagene Devoe ; 7. Adaline Devoe, born 11th April, 1840 ; 8. Matilda Devoe ; 9. Sophia Devoe ; 10. Lavenia, born 23d October, 1845.
ANDREW CRAIG lived in the township of Westfield. He was one of the 2d generation of the " Elizabethtown Associates," admitted in 1699, and many years an Alderman of the borough of Elizabeth. He married _____ and had children :
1. James, whose wife's name was Lydia.
2. Susannah, who married David Littell, son of Samuel. [See David Littell.]
Alderman Craig may have had other children.
JAMES and LYDIA CRAIG had children :
1. Daniel, who married Miss ____ Clark, sister of Richard, Clark, of Rahway.
2. James, Jun., married Mary Jennings, daughter of William of Rahway.
3. Andrew married Miss ____ Bailey.
DANIEL CRAIG, (son of James, 1st,) and Miss Clark, had children :
1. Isaac ; 2. Terril ; 3. Clark, and two or three others.
He removed to Esopus, New York, and settled there.
JAMES CRAIG, JUN., (son of James and Lydia Craig,) and Mary Jennings, had children :
1. Sally, who married William Robins, of Ohio.
2. James, 3d, who married Betsey Tucker, daughter of Amos, of Rahway.
3. William married Jane Roff, daughter of Nathaniel, of New-Providence.
4. Andrew, born 29th January, 1785, married Alsle Manning, born 20th August, 1784, daughter of Isaac, of Plainfield.
5. John married Sally Cooley, an English girl, and had children : 1. David Stewart Craig, and three others.
All this family, except Andrew, after their father's death, went to Ohio.
JAMES CRAIG, 3d, and Betsey Tucker, had children :
1. John, who married in Ohio.
2. William married _____, and died, leaving four children.
3. Phebe, who died at about six or seven years.
WILLIAM CRAIG, tad child of James Craig, Jun.,) and Jane Roff, had children :
1. James. 2. Shipman. 3. Eliza. 4. Phebe. 5. Nathaniel.
ANDREW CRAIG, (4th child of James Craig, Jun., and Alsle Manning, lived where his father did, in Westfield, and had children :
1. John Manning Craig, born 26th August, 1809, weny on a whaling voyage and died.
2. Margaret Craig, born 31st January, 1812, married Matthias Burnet, son of Matthias, of Union, and has one child, Mary Anne Burnet.
3. Isaac Clarkson Craig, born 11th February, 1815 married Lavenia Herdman, daughter of Aaron Herdman, of Newark, and had children : 1. Charles Edwin Craig ; 2. James Andrew Craig; 3. Albert Kitchel Craig.
4. Alsle Anne Craig, born 16th August, 1817, married John Jeroloman, of Bellville, and had children : 1. Richard Manning Jerolomon.
5. Mary Catherine Craig, born 9th May, 1820, married Obadiah Kitchel, son of Jesse, son of Obadiah Kitchel, of Hanover, Morris County, and had children : 1. Silas Manning Kitchel; 2. Mary Hopping Kitchel; 3. Alsle Craig Kitchel.
6. Richard Merril Craig, born 28th January, 1825.
JASPER CRANE and four others, about the year 1644, removed from New Haven to East Haven, where he built a house, and there his son Jasper was born, 2d April, 1651. He sold out at East Haven, 7th September, 1651, and removed to Branford, and from then ceto Newark.
JASPER CRANE, (son of Jasper,) was a representative from the town of Newark, in the Legislature of New Jersey, in 1699, and, indeed, the whole time of the administration of Lord Cornbury as Governor of the Province.
He was also a magistrate, and held other offices of trust.
He married Joanna Swain, daughter of Johannah and Samuel Swain.
He died 16th March, 1712. His wife died in 1720, aged 69 years. They had children:
John, Azariah, and Jasper 3d.
John, Daniel, Jasper, Sarah.
Nathaniel, Azariah, John, Robert, Mary Baldwin, Jane Rule.
Jasper Crane 3d had:
Joseph Crane, Esq., Jonathan Crane, Esq., Elihu, David.
The children of Joseph Crane, Esq., (son ofJasper, 3d,) were Benjamin, Ezekiel, Isaac, Israel, Josiah, Joseph, Abigail, and Joanna.
Joanna married Samuel Congar, who died in 1752, and left children : David ; Jonathan ; Stephen ; and Samuel Congar.
Joanna subsequently married Joseph Camp, Esq., and had a daughter, Joanna.
The children ofJonathan Crane, Esq., (son of Jasper, 3d, son of Jasper Jun.) were:
Samuel, Caleb, Nehemiah, Elihu, John Treat, and Margaret Johnson.
The children of Elihu Crane, (son of Jasper, 3d,) were Lewis, Chtistopher, Charles, Elihu, Isaac, Hannah, and Phebe.
The children of David Crane (son of Jasper 3d) were Jedediah, David, Joseph, Abigail Johnson, Phebe Lawrence, Mary Alling Dorcas and Sarah.
It is said that Azariah Crane married Mary Treat.
Nathaniel and Azariah Crane, sons of Deacon Azariah Crane, obtained a large tract of land at the foot of the mountain called Crane Town, now West Bloomfield. STEPHEN CRANE
STEPHEN CRANE, it is said, was the ancestor of the Cranes in and about Elizabethtown and Westfield. He was one of the first "Elizabethtown Associates," and had sons, John Crane and Jeremiah Crane, and perhaps Daniel Crane who was born 1673, and died 24th February, 1724. Jeremiah Crane was one of the 2d generation. of Associates, admitted in 1699.
JOHN CRANE, 1st, (son of Stephen,) had sons John 2d, Joseph ; Matthias, Benjamin, Samuel ; and daughters, Abigail, Esther, Sarah ; Rebecca, and Deborah.
JOHN CRANE, 2d, (son of John, 1st, son of Stephen) had children ;
1. John, 3d, who married, 1st, Huldah Grant ; 2d, Miss Bedell, of Westfield ; 3d, a widow Force.
3. Jacob, who went to Canada, soon after the Revolutionary war.
4. Isaac, who married Mary Miller, daughter of John, and removed to Passaic Valley.
5. Joseph married Ruth Miller, sister of Isaac's wife, and came to Passaic Valley.
JOHN CRANE, 3d, and Huldah Grant, had children:
1. Elijah, who married Miss Ross, daughter of David Ross, of Westfield.
2. John, 4th, married Phebe Ross, sister of Elijah's wife.
3. Sarah married Isaac Hendricks, of Westfield.
And by his 2d wife, who was sister of Jacob Bedell, of Westfield, he had:
4. Mary, who married Aaron Sayre, of Westfield.
By his 3d wife, the widow Force, he had no children.
ELIJAH CRANE, (son of John Crane, 3d,) and Miss Ross, had children :
1. Stephen, who married Miss Williams.
2. David, who married Miss Denman, daughter of Andrew Denman, of Westfield.
3. Huldah married William Miller.
STEPHEN CRANE, (son of Elijah,) and Miss Williams, had children:
1. John Marsh Crane ; 2. Williams Crane ; 3. Marsh Crane, who married Elias Potter, son of Major Jonathan Potter, of Union, and all. went to Peoria, Illinois.
ISAAC CRANE, (son of John, 3d, son of John, 2d, son of John, 1st, son of Stephen,) removed from Westfield to Passaic Valley, purchased and lived on a tract of land of 178 acres, being lot No. 1, and part of lot No. 2, of Corsen's survey of Elizabethtown lots, above the first mountain lying south of Joseph Cory's farm. He and Mary Miller had children :
1. Jonathan, who died 14th Dec. 1770.
2. Isaac Miller died 28th April, 1784.
3. Mary, who married Samuel Parsons, son of William. [See Parsons.] She died 11th Nov. 1850, aged 89 years, 10 months. He died 25th Dec. 1822, aged 64 years.
4. Martha married 15th Jan. 1783, Nathaniel Bonnel, son of Capt. Nathaniel. [See Bonnel.] She died 80th June, 1646. died 15th April, 1814, aged 58 years.
5. Huldah married 18th Feb. 1786, Capt. Abner Stiles, son of Elijah. [See Stiles.] She died 24th June, 1835, aged 71 years. He died 29th August, 1831, aged 68 years.
6. Sally married 4th Nov. 1792, Nathan Elmer, son of Rev. Jonathan Elmer. [See Elmer.] She died 19th July, 1838, aged 69 years.
JOSEPH CRANE, brother of Isaac, came up from Westfield, and purchased of Nathaniel Smith, in May, 1764, the Farm of 154 acres lying north of Isaac Crane's, and west of Benjamin Pettit's farm, and extending to the river. He married Ruth Miller, sister of his brother Isaac's wife, and had children, 7 sons, and 4 daughters :
1. Samuel, who married, 7th. Nov. 1792, Abby Roberts.
2. John married 23d dept. 1792, Betsey Mulford, daughter of Jonathan, Jun.
3. Stephen married Esther Thomas, daughter of William, of Stony Hill, and went to Ohio.
4. Jonathan married Keziah Tappin, daughter of James Tappin, and went to Ohio.
5. Abner married, in Ohio, Huldah Robinson, daughter of John, from Westfield.
6. Joseph, Jun., married Sally Bebout, daughter of William ; lived on the Bebout farm.
7. Moses married, in Ohio, Susannah Dilts, of Warren County.
8. Joanna married William Valentine, son of Obadiah; went to Redstone. [See Valentine.]
9. Annar married Benjamin Corrington, 13th Nov. 1782 ; went to Redstone.
10. Ruth married William Hole, 5th July, 1785, son of Charles ; went to Redstone. [See Hole.]
11. Betsey married, 1st May, 1794, Daniel Doty, son of John ; went to Middletown, Ohio. [See Doty.]
Joseph Crane was born 1741, and died 7th June, 1778, aged 37 years.
Ruth, the widow of Joseph Crane, went to Ohio, with her sons, and died, over 90 years of age.
JOSEPH CRANE, JUN., and Sally Bebout, had children:
1. William Bebout Crane, who married, 24th April, 1820, Deborah Conklin, daughter of Captain Benjamin Conklin, and had children :
1. Elias ; 2. Mulford ; and 3. Jerusha.
His wife, Deborah, then died, and he married, 2d, Nancy Potter, daughter of Samuel, son of Caleb, son of Colonel Samuel Potter, and had other children :
4. Elizabeth ; 5. Hannah ; 6. Sarah ; 7. John ; 8. Jacob.
William B. Crane removed to Ohio.
2. Eliza married Levi Clark, son of Daniel S. Clark, Esq. [See Clark.]
3. Ruth married Linus H. Stephens, son of Christopher. [See Stevens.]
4. Jacob, who, with all the young children, except Hannah, went to Ohio and Illinois.
5. Aretas married his cousin, a daughter of Daniel Doty, son of John. [See Doty.] 6. Hannah, who died at about 19 years, unmarried.
9. Catherine married her cousin, Daniel Doty, son of Daniel, of Middletown, Ohio.
11. Sarah Wheeler.
Joseph Crane died 3d June, 1829, aged 58 years.
His wife, Sally, died 31st August, 1825, aged 47 years.
JOHN CRANE, (2d son of Joseph Crane,) and Betsey Mulford, lived on part of his father's farm, and had children :
1. Jonathan Mulford, who died a young man.
2. Elias, who went to Indiana, married, and died there.
3. Huldah married Levi Willcox, Jun., son of Levi, and went to Illinois. [See Willcox.]
4. Orpha married Dr. Erastus D. Crossfield, from New England, and went to Warren County, Ohio, and had an only child, John Edgar Crossfield.
5. Deborah married Ezra Ludlow, son of Joseph ; lived in Elizabethtown. [See Ludlow.]
6. Sylvester married Huldah Bonnel, daughter of Philemon ; had three children; his wife died 13th Sept. 1835, aged 29 years. The children were Rachel, who died at 8 years and 6 months, John, and Elias. Sylvester went to Illinois, and took Elias, who soon died. John lives with his grandfather Philemon Bonnel. Sylvester was a lieutenant in the Mexican war.
7. Mary married Aaron H. Lanning, of Warren County and had children : 1. Laura Burnet Lanning ; 2. Orpha Jane Lanning ; 3. John Joseph Lanning.
S. Daniel went to Indiana, and married Catherine Rogers.
9. Harriet married Samuel G. Benedict, from Connecticut, --went to Illinois, where he died, and she removed to her sister Crossfield's, in Ohio.
10. Elizabeth married Samuel T. Day, son of Stephen, and lives where her father did. [See S. T. Day.]
John Crane died 18th July, 1843, aged 79 years.
His wife, Betsey, died 9th March, 1828, aged 53 years.
JOHN CRANE, 4th, and Phebe Ross, had children :
1. Rebecca, who married Major Jotham Potter, son of John ; both died ; left three children. [See Potter.]
2. John Grant Crane, married Sally Pierson, daughter of William, son of William, and had children : 1. John Davis Crane, who married Catherine Potter, daughter of William B. Potter : 2. William married ____, daughter of John Miller, of Westfield.
3. Elizabeth married Thomas Moore, son of Robert, of Woodbridge, and had children : 1. David Moore; 2 Robert Moore ; 3. John Moore ; 4. Israel Moore ; 5. Phebe Moore.
4. Phebe married Benjamin Potter, brother of Major Jotham. [See Potter.]
5. Elias, born 24th April, 1789, and married Esther Maxwell, daughter of John, lives in Union, and had children :
1. John, who married Sarah Cutter, daughter of William Cutter, of Woodbridge.
2. Mary Anne married Nathan Winans, son of Aaron, of Elizabethtown.
3. Phebe married Silas Miller, son of Abraham, son of Abraham.
4. Susan married Isaac Williams, of New–York, son of Matthias.
5. Elias Maxwell Crane.
6. Amzi Armstrong Crane.
6. Josiah married Electa Ross, daughter of John, of Union and lived where Col. Jacob Crane formerly did, and had children :
1. Mary married Hampton Cutter, son of William Cutter above named.
2. John Grant Crane married Abby Miller, daughter of John 0. Miller, and lives on the old John Crane homestead.
3. Anne Elizabeth, married Job Williams, son of Moses Williams, of Union.
4. Josiah married Sarah Jane Miller, daughter of Jacob.
7. Huldah married John Potter, also a brother of Major Jotham, and had but one child, Mary Hannah Potter.
8. Sarah, who is unmarried.
SARAH CRANE, (3d child of John Crane 3d,) and Isaac Hendricks, had but one child, Huldah Hendricks, who married Aaron Pearce, son of Melvin, of Scotch Plains, and had children :
1. Hendricks Pearce, who was a physician, and married a daughter of Enoch Miller.
2. Felix Pearce.
3. Melvin Pearce.
BENJAMIN CRANE, (son of John, 1st,) son of Stephen Crane, married Esther Woodruff. She died 22d February, 1809, aged 98 years. They had children :
1. Benjamin Crane, 2d, who married Phebe Halsey, daughter of Joseph Halsey, who lived between Elizabethtown and Rahway.
2. Eleazer Crane, who married Susan Day, (5th child of David Day, Esq.,) and died without children. [See Day.]
BENJAMIN CRANE, 2d, and Phebe Halsey, lived in Westfield; and had children :
1. Benjamin, 3d, born 29th November, 1761, married Sarah Thompson, daughter of Hezekiah.
2. Abigail, born 27th November, 1762, and died unmarried.
3. Norris, born 9th February, 1764, married Jane Dunham, daughter of John, Sen.
4. John, born 18th April, 1765.
5. Phebe, born 19th Decembbr, 1766, married John Johnson, wholesale grocer, New-York, as his 2d wife. She had no children.
6. Sarah, born 12th April, 1771, married John Ogden, of Green Village, Morris County.
7. Abigail, 2d, born 17th September, 1774, and died young.
BENJAMIN CRANE, 3d, (son of Benjamin, 2d, son of Benjamin, 1st, son of John, son of Stephen Crane,) and Sarah Thompson, lived in Westfield, and had children ;
1. John, who married Mary Clark, daughter of Robert, of Westfield.
2. Abigail married David Keyt, son of James.
3. Esther, who died at about 18 or 20 years, unmarried.
4. Hezekiah Thompson married, 1st Amanda Osborn ; 2d, _____.
5. Phebe married, 1st, Francis Randolph, son of Dr. Robert; 2d, George R. King, of Warren County, and lived there.
6. Charlotte King married Hedges Baker, son of Daniel. [See Baker.]
7. Norris, who went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and married there.
8. Jacob Thompson went to Cincinnati, and died there at 35 years, unmarried.
9. Benjamin, 4th, married Electa Baker, as her 2d husband, daughter of Daniel.
10. David Johnson married Anne Eliza Roll, daughter of Isaac, son of John.
11. Moses Thompson married Eliza Scudder.
JOHN CRANE, (son of Benjamin, 3d,) and Mary Clark, had children : 1. Benjamin Franklin ; 2. Abigail ; 3. Betsey Anne.
ABIGAIL CRANE, daughter of Benjamin, 3d, and David Keyt, had children :
1. James Keyt ; 2. Anne Eliza Keyt.
HEZEKIAH T. CRANE, (son of Benjamin, 3d,) and Amanda Osborn, had children : 1. John.
PHEBE CRANE, (daughter of Benjamin, 3d,) and Francis Randolph, had children :
1. Bennington Randolph ; 2. Sarah Anne Randolph married Samuel Clark.
And by George King, Phebe had three other children.
BENJAMIN CRANE, 4th, (son of Benjamin, 3d,) and Electa Baker, lived at Patterson, and had children :
1. Catherine Shelts, who died at 5 or 6 years.
2. Alfred Britton.
3. Margaret Baker.
4. Benjamin Hervy.
6. Sarah Thompson.
8. Electa, who died young.
DAVID J. CRANE, (son of Benjamin, 3d,) and Hannah Eliza Roll, had children :
2. Jacob Thompson, who died at 2 1/2 years.
3. David Newton.
4. George King.
5. Isaac Roll.
6. Join, Hezekiah.
7. Benjamin Franklin, who died at two weeks old.
MOSES T. CRANE, (son of Benjamin, 3d,) and Eliza Scudder, had children :
1. Theodore Augustus.
2. Sarah Anne.
NORRIS CRANE, (son of Benjamin Crane, 2d,) and Jane Dunham, (born 13th May, 1765,) lived in Sterling Valley, and had children :
1. Nancy, born 29th September, 1790, and married William Pierson Conklin, son of William. He lived in New York ; his widow Nancy is blind ; lives with her brother-in-law, Israel Bebout.
2. Isaac, born 25th October, 1792, and married Polly and Anne, two daughters of Thomas Parrot, Esq.
3. Sally, born 27th March, 1797, and married Peter Parrot, son of Thomas Parrot, Esq, [See Parrot.]
4. John, born 29th September, 1799, and married Abby Flatt, of New York, and lives there.
5. Benjamin, born 16th April, 1802, and married 2d December, 1824, Julia Bebout, daughter of Stephen.
6. Albert, born 17th March, 1804, and married ____, daughter of Anderson French, of Westfield.
7. Mary, born 16th March, 1807, and married Israel Bebout, son of Stephen. [See Bebout.)
Norris Crane died 21st February, 1846.
Jane, his wife, died 23d June, 1848.
ISAAC CRANE, (son of Norris, son of Benjamin Crane, 2d,) and his 1st wife, Polly Parrot, had children :
1. Abraham, who married Margaret Ayers, daughter of Richard of Long Hill, and had children : 1. George Abraham and Margaret, a twins ; 2. Joanna; 3. Richard Henry ; 4. William ; 5. a son and daughter, twins.
2: William, born 30th January, 1820, married, 28th May, 1849, Mary Cole, daughter of Elias Cole, of Scotch Plains, and had children, 1. Cornelius.
And by his 2d wife, Anne Parrot, he had other children :
5. John Halsey.
JOHN CRANE, (son of Norris,) and Abby Flatt, had children : 1. Phebe; 2. Norris; 3. Caroline; 4. Charlotte; 5. Hannah ; 6. Benjamin Franklin.
BENJAMIN CRANE, (son of Norris,) and Julia Bebout, had children : 1. John Ogden ; 2. Fanny ; 3. Sarah.
ALBERT CRANE, (son of Norris,) and _____, had children : 1. Jane ; 2. Lucy ; 3. Mary ; 4. George ; 5. James.
STEPHEN CRANE, born 1709, and died July 1st, 1780, was probably son of Jeremiah, son of Stephen Crane, 1st. His wife's name was Phebe, who died 17th August, 1776, aged 62 years.
They had children :
1. Daniel, born 3d January, 1735.
2. Stephen, born 14th October, 1737. He was killed by a party 3 of British soldiers, on their way to Connecticut Farms, when that place was burnt.
3. Elizabeth, born 10th March, 174O.
4. David, born 27th November, 1742, married, 21st November, 1762, Anne Sayre. She was born 23d May, 1742, and died 24th November, 1805. They had children : 1. David, born 7th Feb. 1772, and died 27th September, 1791 ; 2. Sarah, born 13th May, 1778, and died 16th September, 1778. He married, in 1806, Agnes or Neaty Cooper, daughter of John, son of Daniel Cooper, 1st, but had no children by her.
5. William, who entered the army, and accompanied General Montgomery to Quebec, and was severely wounded in the attack on that city. He became general of the militia after the war. He married twice ; his 2d wife was Abbe Miller, daughter of Benjamin; had 6 children.
6. Phebe, born 2d June, 1750.
7. Joseph, born 20th May, 1752 ; married, 1. Susannah Ross, who died 22d October, 1781, aged 32 years ; 2. Margaret Van Vechten, of Somerville.
8. Jonathan, born 15th May, 1754.
9. Catherine, born 8th October, 1756.
GENERAL WILLIAM CRANE, (5th child of Stephen,) had children :
1. William, who was commodore in the United States Nary. He died about 1844.
2. Ichabod B., a colonel in the United States Army, now in command at Governor's Island.
3. Joseph H. married Julia Elliot ; lives in Dayton ; is judge of the supreme court of Ohio.
4. Mariah, who lives with Joseph ; is unmarried.
5. Joanna married John Magie, and died about 1818, leaving a daughter Julia Magie.
6. Phebe, who died about 1818, unmarried.
JOSEPH CRANE, (brother of General William Crane,) and Susannah Ross, had children :
1. William, who married Sarah Townley, daughter of Richard. [See Townley.]
2. Susan married Henry Weaver, and went to Trenton, Butler County, Ohio. She died 22d January, 1851, aged 75 years.
3. Nancy married Abraham Van Sickle, and went to Trenton, Ohio, and by his 2d wife, Margaret, had children.
4. John, who married Sarah Conover, and lives in Hamilton, Ohio ; is a major of militia.
5. David lives on the River St. Joseph's, Ohio.
6. ____ Van Vechten.
7. Sally, who died unmarried.
8. Richard, who lives near David.
WILLIAM CRANE, Esq., (1st child of Joseph,) and Sarah Townley, had children :
1. David R. Crane who married Phebe Anne Hallam, daughter of Lewis Hallam of New York.
2. Agnes married Rev. Curtis Tally, a methodist minister, and had a daughter, Helen Williams Tally.
3. Richard T. Crane, married Jane T. Dolebeer of Union, and had children : 1. Theodore F. Dolebeer ; 2. Frederick T. Dolebeer.
4. Joseph W. Crane, married, 1st, Harriet J. Willcox, daughter of Ezekiel, and had a daughter, 1. Harriet Jemima Crane. His wife died, and he married, 2d, Emma S. Brookfield, daughter of Lewis P. Brookfield of Spring Valley, and had children : 2. Lewis W. ; 3. Augustus.
Jonathan T. Crane, who graduated at Princeton College, and became a methodist minister, is Principal of the "Pennington Male Seminary." He married Mary Helen Peck, daughter of Rev.. George Peck , D. D., of N. Y., and had a daughter, -Mary Helen Peck.
SUSAN CRANE, and Henry Weaver, had children :
1. Nancy Weaver, who married Mr. Clawson.
2. William Weaver married Miss Clark.
3. John Weaver married Miss Bowman.
4. Polly Weaver married James Beard.
5. Samuel Weaver.
6. Eliza Weaver.
7. Clark Weaver.
NANCY CRANE, 3d child of Joseph, and Abraham Van Sickle had children :
1. Susan Van Sickle, who married, 1st, Mr. Long ;2d, Mr. Bailey : 3d, Mr. Brown.
2. Henry Van Sickle
3. Mariah Van Sickle.
4. Catherine Van Sickle.
5. Joseph Van Sickle.
MAJOR. JOHN CRANE, (4th child of Joseph,) and Sarah Conover, had children :
1. William, who married Rachel Crawford, and had children : 1. John ; 2. William.
2. Joel H. married Sarah Walker.
3. Margaret married H. M. Moore, and died.
4. Tryphena E. married Thomas Davis, and had children: 1. Charles Davis ; 2. Margaret Davis ; 3. Thomas Davis.
5. George W .; 6. Mary ; 7. Mariah E. ; 8. John C. ; 9. Jane C. ; 10. Joseph.
JUDGE JOSEPH H. CRANE, (3d son of General Wm.,) and Julia Elliot had chidren :
1. Mariah, who married Doctor Clements, and had a son, Joseph Clements.
2. William; 3. Wilbra ; 4. James ; 5. Henrietta ; 6. Joseph ; 7. Clements.
TIMOTHY CRANE [I have not learned to what family Timothy Crane belonged] married Mary Congar, a sister of Designer Congar, who lived in a house which stood near where Dayton Badgley now lives.
Timothy Crane and Mary Congar lived in the house next to and east of Amos Morehouse. They had an only son Jeremiah, who married Joannah Cogswell, daughter of Nathaniel Cogswell, near Chatham, and had children:
1. Jeremiah, who married Jane O. Clark, and had no children.
2. Designer Congar Crane, who married Mary Beach, daughter of Benjamin Beach, of Mendham, and died leaving two children : 1. Joanna Crane, who married Robert Hatch, of Newark ; 2. Harriet.
DESIGNER CONGAR had children :
Polly Crane, baptized 19th January, 1785.
Anna Designer, baptized 13th April, 1786, as the daughter of the widow Congar.
So it seems that Designer Cougar died between those two dates.