Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
VAIL to WODD
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
DANIEL VAIL, who was the son of Isaac and Christiana Vail, removed from Green Brook, below Plainfield to the west end of Long Hill, near Stonehouse Village, in Somerset Co. He married Mary McEowen, sister of William McEowen, Esq. of Pluckemin, and had children :
1. Anne, who married John Hill, (merchant,) son of William Hill, of Basking Ridge. and had no children.
2. Daniel married Dinah Vandeveer, daughter of Jacobus Vandeveer, of Bedminster.
3. Catherine married Dr. Hugh McEowen. cousin of William McEowen. Esq. She died 92d December, 1851.
4. Jacob, married Sarah Fitz Randolph, daughter of Edward. of Green Brook, and live in Rahway Township.
5. Harriet married F razee Cole, son of Joseph. [See Cole]
6. Alexander married Eliza Kirkpatrick, daughter of Alexander.
7. Martha born 22d November, 1799, and married, May, 1823 Thomas 0. Scudder, born 24th December, 1799, son of Stites, son of Richard of New Providence, and had no children. [See Scudder]
8. Israel married Mariah Barkalo, daughter of Stoffel, of the Sterling Farm, near Basking Ridge.
DANIEL VAIL, (2d child of Daniel,) and Dinah Vandeveer, had children :
1. Mariah, who married Abner Cory, son of Parkhurst, and had children : 1. Martha Jane Cory ; 2. Phebe Cory, who married Mr. Whitenack.
2. Catherine married Abraham Smith, below Plainfield.
3. Alexander married Nancy Southard, daughter of Lot, son of the Hon. Henry Southard.
4. Caroline married Cornelius Barkalo, son of Stoffel, of Basking Ridge, and had children : 1. Virginia Barkalo ; 2. Israel Barkalo.
CATHERINE VAIL, (3d child of Daniel,) and Dr. Hugh McEowen had children :
1. Mary Mc Eowen, who married Dr. Edward A. Darcey ; removed to Illinois, and had children : 1. Caroline Darcey ; 2. Catherine Darcey.
2. Matilda McEowen married Rev Elias Fairchild, D. D. of Mendham ; he is secretary and agent of the Foreign Evangelical Society ; they live in Newark, and have no children.
3. Alexander McEowen married Margaret Brown, daughter of Elias Brown, Esq. of Pluckemin, whose wife was daughter of William McEowen, Esq. above named ; lives where his father did.
JACOB VAIL, (4th child of Daniel,) and Sarah Fitz Randolph had children:
1. Althea . 2. Mary ; 3. Nelson ; 4. Eden ; 5. Nerr ; 6. Margaret ; 7. Israel.
ALEXANDER VAIL, (6th child of Daniel,) and Eliza Kirkpatrick had children :
1. Kerenhappuc [last letter either a 'c' or an 'e'], who married Doct. William Cole, son of Elias, and had children: 1. Mary Cole ; 2 Martha Cole. [See Cole.]
2. Thirza, who married Clark Squier, son of Ludlow. [See Squier.]
Mr. Vail then died, and his widow married William B. Gaston, Esq., of Somerville. [See Kirkpairick.]
ISRAEL VAIL, (8th child of Daniel,) and Mariah Barkalo had children :
1. William, who died at about 11 years.
2. Oscar 3. Christopher Barkalo; 4. Anna Mariah; 5. Martha ; 6. Daniel; 7. Melinda.
JAMES VAIL was a brother of Daniel Vail, Sen., and lived at the Stone House Village. He married Betsey Carle, eldest daughter of Jonas Carle, and had children :
1. Isaac, who married Agnes Cooper, daughter of Daniel, son of John, and had children : 1. John Cooper Vail ; 2. Lydia Anne, who married Charles Ross, merchant, of Elizabethtown.
2. Anna, who married Edward Vail, son of Joel, below Plainfield, and had no children.
3. James married Mary Simpson, daughter of James Simpson, of Mount Bethel, and had children : 1. Isabel ; 2. Isaac.
Jacob Vail. another son of Isaac Vail ; lived near Stone House Village ; he died an old man without children.
KENNEDY VANCE lived where Samuel Squier now does. He married Phebe, the widow of Benjamin Pettit, Jun , and daughter of Joseph Potter, [See Pettit and Potter.] She died 9th March, 1793 ; they had children :
1. Samuel, who was shot dead by the British, 8th June, 1780, aged 20 years, at the battle of Springfield.
2. Nancy, who married Aaron Squier, son of Thomas. [See Squier.]
3. Jane married, 8th July, 1790, Joel Jones. [See Jones.]
4. John, who went to Western New York, and married Eve Rope.
5. Agnes married David Robison, son of William. [See Robison.]
RICHARD VALENTINE owned Nos. 35 and 44 of the Elizabethown lots, and lived on No. 44, where Israel B. Long now lives. This lot contained 184 acres, and extended over the Mountain. and adjoined Peter Willcox's tract, lying west of it. It also adjoined the Pettit tract, No. 45, lying west of Valentine's.
He married Phebe Haines, and died 10th March, 1766, aged 63 years ; his widow, Phebe, then married William Miller, of Westfield ; and after his death, she returned to her former homestead, on Stony Hill, and died there, 21st May, 1783, aged 76 years. Richard Valentine and Phebe Haines had children :
1. Jonah, who married Susannah Bedell, daughter of John Bedel!, Jun.
2. Ephraim married Rhoda Price, sister of Abraham Price. [See Ephraim Tucker.]
3. Obadiah married, first, Mary Mulford, daughter of Capt. Jonathan Mulford ; 2d, Elizabeth, the widow of William Maxwell, and daughter of Thomas Baker, Jun. ; 3d, Elizabeth, 16th Feb. 1786, widow of Benjamin Day, Esq., and sister of Phebe, the wife of Peter Davison, the father of John R. Davison, of Newark, and also sister of Samuel Roberts, Sen., children of Daniel Roberts.
4. Phebe married John Miller 3d, of Westfield, son of John, Jun. [See Miller.]
5. Mary married, first, Henry Clark, of Westfield ; 2d, Sylvanus Oakley, son of David. [See Oakley.] She married, 19th Jan. 1789, 3d, David Camilla and died 7th March, 1795. age 61 years.
6. Elizabeth married, 19th Sept. 1767, Benjamin North.
7. Rachel married William Baker. [See Baker]
8. Sarah, twin to Rachel, died 26th June, 1768, aged 26 years, unmarried.
JONAH VALENTINE, (1st child of Richard.) and Susannah Bedell had children :
1. Jemima, who married, 11th July, 1784, William Woodruff, of Westfield.
2 Samuel, who died in his 19th year.
3. Martha married Joseph Marsh, of Rahway.
4. Phebe married Andrew Joline.
5 Susannah married John Long. [See Long.]
6. Joseph married Temperance Littell, daughter of Andrew.
7. Benjamin, who died in his 14th year.
8. Lydia married Brown Brookfield ; lives on the north side of Long Hill ; is a widow ; she had no children.
9. Esther married John Bloomfield.
10. Sarah married, 2d Jan. 1791, David Littell, from Ireland, and removed to Lebanon, Ohio.
JOSEPH VALENTINE, (6th child of Jonah.) and Temperance Littell (daughter of Andrew,) had children:
1. William; 2. Martha ; 3 Samuel ; 4. Jeremiah; 5. Joseph, Jun.
JEREMIAH VALENTINE, (4th child of Joseph.) married Ruth Terry, daughter of Jonathan Terry and Huldah Van Sickle, and had children :
1, Lucy Anne : 2. Abigail ; 3. Erastus Lewis ; 4. Temperance ; 5. Joseph ; 6. Andrew ; 7. Susan ; 8. Ruth.
EPHRAIM VALENTINE, (2d child of Richard,) and Rhoda Price had children :
1. Benjamin, who married Polly Briant.
4. Sarah married Israel Martin.
5. Abigail married Dennis Woodruff.
ELIZABETH VALENTINE, (6th child of Richard) and Benjamin North had children:
1. Mahala North.
2. Ruth North, who married, 1st, Mr. McCloud, of Philadelphia; 2d, Richard Ogden, son of Nathaniel. She had no children.
OBADIAH VALENTINE. (3d child of Richard) lived on lot No 35 of the Elizabethtown lots, where Israel Duty now lives, he and his first wife, Mary Mulford, had children :
1. Esther, who married, 18th May, 1783, Levi Willcox, son of William. [See Wilcox]
2. William married, 1st April, 1787, Joanna Crane, daughter of Joseph, Sen. and went to Ohio.
3. Jonathan married. 10th April, 1791, Abigail Day, daughter ot Benjamin Day, Esq. and daughter of his father's 3d wife.
4. David married, 23d September, 1792, Sarah Day, sister of Jonathan's wife, and went to Dayton, Ohio ; [see Aaron Baker.] he had a daughter Nancy, who married Lewis Broadwell, son of Simeon, of Dayton, and had a son Jonathan, who married, and lives in Piqua, Ohio.
5. Levi, who died at 14 years of age.
6. Daniel married Miss Winans, of Union, and went to Dayton, Ohio.
Mary, the wife of Obadiah Valentine, died 9th June, 1777, aged 36 years. And by his 2d wife Elizabeth, the widow of William Maxwell, he had:
7. Mary, who went to Ohio, and there married John Craig, in 1805.
His 2d wife, Elizabeth die 13th September, 1785, and he married Elizabeth, the widow of Benjamin Day, Esq. and daughter of Daniel Roberts, by whom he had no children.
He died 19th May, 1788, aged 48 years ; his widow died 4th October, 1830, aged 82 years.
JONATHAN VALENTINE, (son of Obadiah,) and Abigail Day, had chidren:
1. Benjamin, who died 29th July, 1787.
2. Betsey, born 1st December, 1791, and died 25th August, 1792.
3. Peter Davison, born 20th October, 1793, married. 28th November, 1812, Abigail Rutan, daughter of Joseph Rutan ; she was born 19th March, 1794.
4. Sarah ; 5. Phebe ; 6. William, who all three died in infancy.
Mr. Jonathan Valentine died 18th April, 1801, aged 35 years.
And his widow married John Schureman ; she died 3d Sept, 1817, aged 47 years.
PETER D. VALENTINE (son of Jonathan, son of Obadiah,) and Abigail Rutan, had children:
1. Jonathan, born 19th September. 1814, and married, 25th July, 1838, Mary Littell, daughter of John Littell, Esq.
He was elected a member of the legislature in 1849, and again in 1850; he has served 5 years as a justice of the peace.
2. Hannah, born 3d November, 1816, and died 6th July, 1820.
3. Abraham, born 4th October, 1818, married, 12th March, 1840, Harriet Meeker, daughter of lsaac Meeker ; she died 16th June, 1843, aged 31 years, and he married Debby Anne Willcox, daughter of Ezra.
5. Daniel Rutan.
6. William married, 19th February, 1852, Caroline Amanda Stout, daughter of Elijah Stout, of Kingston, Somerset county.
7 Sarah, who married, 17th October, 1849, Jacob D. Mulford, son of William. [See Job Mulford.]
JONATHAN VALENTINE, Esq. (son of Peter D. Valentine.) and Mary Littell had children:
1. Samuel Rutan, born 13th July, 1839.
2. Luther Littell, born 30th September, 1812.
3. Eliza Littell, born 13th November, 1845.
4. William, who died in infancy.
5. John, born 21st November, 1849, and died 22d January, 1850.
6. Mary Abigail, born 14th July, 1851.
RICHARD WALKER had three wives, one of which was Sarah ; he lived in Westfield, and had children:
1. Asher, who married Phebe Miller, daughter of Daniel Miller.
And by a 2d wife, he had other children :
2. Sarah, who married Elnathan Cory, son of Ebenezer.
3. Abraham, whose wife's name was Sarah.
4. John, who married Hannah Cory, daughter of Ebenezer.
5. David, and others.
Abraham and John Walker probably bought the tract of land where George Cory now lives, of Jacob Carle. They lived on that place, between the years 1774 and 1784, and probably sold it to Smith S. Osborn, who lived there in 1784, and they removed to the west.
ASHER WALKER bought of Alexander Porter, the farm, part of which is now awned and occupied by Samuel Duryee, and lived there. He died 19th November, 1805. aged 63 years ; his wife Phebe died 8th December, 1798, aged 53 years ; they had children :
1. Susan, who married Henry Squier, son of Eleazer Squier, of Westfield, and had children : 1. Eli Squier, who married Matilda Johnson. 2. Miller, who married Hannah Spencer, daughter of Spencer, Esq. [See Spencer ] 3. Phebe married John Johnson, son of Uzel, and went to Ohio. Susan married, 2d, Joseph Ross, and had a son Jonas.
2. Miller, who married Theodocia Brittin, daughter of Jacob. [See Brittin]
3. Sally married David Morehouse, son of Simeon. [See Morehouse]
4. Abraham married, 1st, Electa Bonnel, daughter of James; 2d, Elizabeth Hallock, daughter of Thomas.
5. David married Roxy Miller, daughter of Ichabod, of Rahway.
6. Jonathan married, 1st, Polly Spencer, daughter of William Spencer, Esq. of Chatham ; 2d, Electa Miller. daughter of Major Luke Miller, of Madison ; 3d, Rhoda Johnson, of Chester, Morris county ; 4th, Elizabeth, the widow of his brother Abraham.
7 Temperance, who died 19th August, 1794, aged 23 years, unmarried.
8. Phebe married, 14th May, 1808, Peter Van Horn, of Bergen county.
9. Polly married, 5th September. 1813, Eliakim Ludlow, son of Noah, son of Cornelius, of Westfield. [See Noah Ludlow.]
MILLER WALKER, (2d child of Asher, son of Richard,) and Theodocia Brittin, had children :
1. Abraham Brittin Walker, who married Hetty Crowel, daughter of David A. Crowel, of Chatham, and has an only child, Henry Hartstein.
2. Isaac Brittin, who died 4th February, 1836, aged 23 years, unmarried.
3. Jacob Brittin, who went to Mobile, and married Susan Youngblood, and lives there, and had children : 1. Eugene; 2. Eugenia.
4. David, who died 27th May, 1827, aged 27 years, unmarried.
5. Eliza married, 30th August, 1838. Luke Parsons, son of Jonathan, as his 3d wife ; she has no children.
Mrs. Theodocia. Walker died 16th September, 1834, aged 59 1/2 years.
Mr. Miller Walker died 16th March, 1840.
ABRAHAM WALKER, (4th child of Asher,) and Electa Bonnel, his first wife, had but one chilid:
1. Rhoda, who married Dr. John L. Munn, son of Dr J. B. Munn, of Chatham, and had children : Jephtha B. Munn ; 2. George Ludlow Munn. 3. Joanna Munn.
His wife Electa died 21st November, 1808 ; and by his 2d wife, Elizabeth, he had children:
2. Electa, who married Thomas Garrison, live in Newark, and have children : 1. Harriet Newel Garrison ; 2. Sarah Elizabeth Garrison ; 3. Theodocia Backus Garrison : 4. Aruna Garrison ; 5. Adelaide Garrison; 6. Thomas John Garrison.
3. Amanda married Amos Lum, son of Moses, of Newark. [See Lum.]
4. Abraham married Jane Crane, daughter of John Crane, of Newark, and have children: 1. Mary Elizabeth ; 2. James Mahlon ; 3. Abraham Brittin Walker.
5. David Littell Walker.
6. Mary married John Price, spectacle maker, of Newark, and have chi!dren: 1. Henry Martin Price ; 2. Adelaide Price ; 3. Electa Price.
7. Eliza married Henry H. Soloman, of New Brunswick, as his 2d wife, and had children : 1. Lavonia ; 2. _____.
8. Sarah Anne, who died 29th June, 1838. aged 15 years.
9. Louisa Emeline, who died 4th August, 1839, aged 13 years.
Mr, Abraham Walker died 19th April, 1827, aged 52 years. His widow married Jonathan Walker.
DAVID WALKER, (5th child of Asher,) and Roxy Miller, had children :
1. David, who died 12th August, 1817, aged 2 1/2 years.
2. Chatfield, who went to Ohio, and married _____.
David Walker died 25th July, 1828, aged 44 years, and his widow went to Cincinnati, Ohio, with her son.
JONATHAN WALKER, (6th child of Asher,) and Polly Spencer, had one daughter, Mary, who married Luke C. Dehart, of Madison, and had children :
1. William Dehart ; 2. George Dehart.
And by Electa Miller, he had children:
2. John Henry. 3. Sarah Anne. 4. George. 5. Caroline.
And by his third wife, Rhoda Johnson, had 6. William.
By his 4th wife he had no children.
PHEBE WALKER, (8th child of Asher,) and Peter Van Horn, had children :
1. Garret Van Horn ; 2. Burgher Van Horn.
Mr. Van Horn died 9th February, 1825, aged 37 1/2 years ; his widow Phebe, died 28th May, 1830, aged 48 years.
POLLY WALKER, (9th child of Asher,) and Eliakim Ludlow, had children :
1. Emeline Ludlow.
2. Phebe, who married Alonzo Johnson.
3. Jane married Isaac Egbert, and had a son: 1. William Henry Ludlow Ebert.
4. William, who went to Cincinnati, Ohio.
DAVID WARD married Hannah Farrand, of Newark. They lived at Chatham, and had children :
1. Enos, (Captain,) who married Mahetabel Burnet, daughter of James, of Madison.
2. David, born 19th September, 1749, married Hamutal Ladner, born 15th December, 1750, of Madison ; he died 19th July, 1814 ; she died 1830.
3. Hannah married, (bellows) Benjamin Bonnel, son of Benjamin,. Esq. [See Bonnel.]
4. Polly married Isaac Howard, and had no children.
5. Ichabod married, 1st, Johannah Day, daughter of Stephen Day, Esq., as her 2d husband.
Ichabod Ward married, 2d, June 21st , 1789, Esther, the widow of John Mills Frost, and daughter of Josiah Broadwell, Esq.
6. Phebe, who died at about 20 years, unmarried.
7. Betty married John Johnson, a wholesale grocer, of New York. [See John Johnson.]
8. Sarah married Philip Cockran, of New York ; she died without children, and he married Hannah, the daughter of Capt. Enos Ward, his first wife's niece.
CAPTAIN ENOS WARD, (1st child of David,) and Mahetabel Burnet, had children :
1. Ruth, who married Gabriel Pierson, son of Benjamin.
2. Hannah married Philip Cockran, as his 2d wife, and had no children.
3. Matthias married Eleanor Bonne!, daughter of John, son of Nathaniel Bonnet 1st.
4. James married Sophia Seely, daughter of Col. Sylvanus Seely.
5. Hamutal married Paul Day, son of Thaddeus, and had no children.
RUTH WARD, (1st child of Capt. Enos Ward.) and Gabriel Pierson, had children :
1. Matthias Pierson, who married Charlotte Genung, daughter of David Genung.
2. Enos Pierson, who died at 25 years, unmarried.
3. Juliette Pierson, died at 18 years, unmarried.
4. Phebe Pierson is unmarried.
5. Sarah Pierson married Paul Day, son of Thaddeus, as his 2d wife, and had no children.
G. Mahetabel Pierson is unmarried.
7. Benjamin Pierson died at 13 years.
8. Hannah Mariah Pierson died at 3 months.
MATTHIAS PIERSON, (1st child of Gabriel,) and Charlotte Genung, had children:
1. Juliette Pierson, who married Thomas H. Skinner.
2. Ambrose Pierson, who died at about 18 years.
3. Nancy Jane Pierson married Henry Judson.
4. Charles Pierson married Emily Trowbridge, daughter of Shubal, of Brooklyn.
5 Matthias Ward Pierson married Drusilla Startup.
6. Sarah Pierson, who died young.
MATTHIAS WARD, (3d child of Capt. Enos,) and Eleanor Bonnel, had children :
1. Philip, who married Jane Garthwaite, of Elizabethtown.
2. Mahlon married Caroline Hunt.
3. Sarah, who died at about 18 years, unmarried.
4. Mahetabel died at about 19 years, unmarried.
5. Harriet married Robert Lackron [spelling? hard to read], a European.
6. Louisa married Calvin Smith, son of Frederick, of Chatham.
7. Laura married David Bowers. son of David, of Newark.
8. Enos died at 25 years, unmarried.
9. Juliette is unmarried.
JAMES WARD, (4th child of Captain Enos,) and Sophia Seely, had children :
1. John, who died unmarried, upwards of 20 years old.
2 Jane, who died at about 20 years, unmarried.
3. Sylvanus, who married Abby ___, near Bethany, Pennsylvania, and lives there.
DAVID WARD 2d, (2d son of David Ward 1st,) and Hamutal Ladner had children :
1. Barnabas, barn 17th Nov. 1771, and was drowned 1803. He did not marry.
2. Benjamin. born 16th May, 1774, and died 15th July, 1803. He married, 5th Oct. 1796, Lydia Young, daughter of Moses and Rosannah Young.
3. Phebe, born 30th Oct 1781, and married, 3d April, 1802, the Rev. John Hancock, son of John and Mary Hancock, and live in East Madison.
4. John, born 4th June, 1786, married, 27th Nov. 1808, Melissa Bond, daughter of Thomas Bond, of Chatham, and died 27th March, 1837.
5. Philip, born 16th March, 1789, and died in youth.
6. Farrand, born 20th Oct. 1796, married Charlotte Bruen, daughter of Carter Bruen, and died 14th July, 1835.
BENJAMIN WARD, (2d child of David Ward 2d.) and Lydia Young had children:
1. Svlvesta, born 28th July, 1797, married. 28th Feb. 1818, John R. Mulford, son of Christopher, and had no children.
2 Menzies, a son, born 15th Sept. 1802, and died 6th Oct. 1815.
PHEBE WARD. (3d child of David Ward 2d,) and Rev. John Hancock had children:
1. Jane Hancock, born 8th Oct. 1803, married, 22d Feb. 1835, Vincent B. Budd, as his 2d wife, son of Doct. John C. Budd, and had children: 1 Jane Hancock Budd, born 21st June, 1836 ; 2. Benjamin Ward Budd, born 11th July, 1842.
2. John Wesley Hancock, born 30th Aug. 1805. He was a surveyor, and married, 17th Dec. 1828, Mary Anne C. Griswold. daughter or Chauncy, and Polly Griswold. She died 15th Feb. 1849 ; they had children : 1. Jane, born 9th Nov. 1829, died 20th July, 1833 ; 2. John Wesley, born 6th Jan. 1831, died 22 July, 1833 ; 3. Phebe, born 17th April, 1833 ; 4. John Emory, born 18th July, 1835 ; 5. Ellen, born 6th Nov. 1837, died 4th June, 1839 ; 6. Mervin Griswold, born 25th Dec. 1839 ; 7. Mary Anne, born 20th Dec. 1841. 8. Roswell, born 24th Sept. 1845 ; 9. Robert Harris, born 1st Feb. 1848.
3. Phebe Hancock, born 16th Oct. 1807, died 28th March, 1823.
4. Mary Graham Hancock, born 4th Nov. 1811.
5. Monroe Hancock. born 26th Feb. 1817, married Sally Anne Cole, daughter of Henry, and had children : 1. George Hugh, born 25th June, 1843 ; 2. Fletcher. born 7th July, 1848, died 5th Sept. 1849 ; 3. William, born 16th June. 1850.
6. Emeline Hancock, born 8th March, 1819, died 23d Nov. 1836.
JOHN WARD, (3d child of David Ward 2d,) and Melissa Bond had children :
1. Nancy Ladner, born 26th Jan. 1810, married, 27th Jan. 1828, to Vincent B. Budd, as his 1st wife, son of Doct. John C. Budd, and died Feb. 16th 1831. They had children : 1. Thomas Bond Budd, born 10th Jan. 1829 ; 2. Melissa Ward Budd, born 14th June, 1831 ; 3. Nancy Ladner Budd, born 30th Sept. 1833, died 19th Aug. 1834.
2. Lydia Young, born 28th March, 1812, married, 1st Dec. 1830, to Moses L. Bruen, son of Ichabod and Damaris Bruen, and had children: 1. John Ward Bruen. born Aug. 1833 ; 2. Laura Johnson Bruen, born June. 1838.
3. David Farrand, born 20th Nov. 1814, married, 20th Feb. 1839, to Charlotte B. Matthews, daughter of Charles, and had no children by her.
4. Julia Anne, born 27th April, 1817, married, 10th Jan. 1838, Benjamin Griswold, son of Chauncy Griswold, and had children : 1. Chauncy Griswold, born 1st April, 1839 ; 2. Mary Ward Griswold, born 31st May, 1841 ; 3. Anna Ladner Griswold, born 5th March, 1845 ; 4. Lydia Bruen Griswold, born 21st Feb. 1847.
5. Mary Bond, born 11th Nov. 1822, married, 8th Dec. 1847, to James Albright, son of Robert Albright, Esq., and had children : 1. Eliza Albright, born 1st Sept. 1848 ; 2. Julia Ward Albright, born 2d Sept. 1850.
FARRAND WARD, (6th child of David Ward 2d,) and Charlotte Bruen had children :
1. David Johnson, born 8th Sept. 1822.
2. Phebe Bruen, born 6th Jan. 1825, married Allen S. Felch.
3. Harriet Elenora, born 25th April, 1829, married George W. Felch. She died 23d Oct. 1849.
4. Benjamin Collins, born 2d Oct. 1832, died 4th April, 1834.
5. Benjamin Farrand, born 18th Sept. 1834.
David J. Ward married Catherine Tunis, daughter of Joseph M. and Charity Tunis, and had children: 1. Charlotte Augusta ; 2. Joseph Farrand.
ICHABOD WARD, (5th child of David,) and Johannah Day had children :
1. Elijah, who married Matilda Lindsley, daughter of Judge Lindsley, of Orange.
2. Moses married Jane Day, daughter of Stephen Day, Jun.
3. Damaris married Ichabod Bruen, of Madison.
4. Sally married Matthias Bonnel, son of Bellows Ben. Bonnel. [See Bonnel.]
Ichabod Ward, by his 2d wife, Esther, had children :
5. David, who died at about 17 years.
6. Phebe married Jonathan C. Bonnel, son of Nathaniel Bonnel 3d. [See J. C. Bonnel.]
N)TE.—Mrs. Esther Ward, by her first husband, John Mills Frost, had children : 1. Josiah Frost, who married Abigail Jones. 2. Charity Frost married Caleb Meeker, son of Isaiah. [See Meeker.]
Tradition in the Whitaker family says that three brothers embarked in England for America ; that the ship in which they embarked was cast away, and but one of the three arrived ; whose name was Jonathan Whitaker, who settled in New England ; his wife's name was Elizabeth. They had children:
1. Nathaniel, who married Miss Smith.
2. Eliphalet married Ruth Bailey.
3 Elizabeth married Stephen Ogden, of Basking Ridge.
4. Mary married, 1st, Samuel Brown ; 2d, Ebenezer White.
5. Jonathan, Jun. married Mary Miller.
Nathaniel Whitaker became a presbyterian minister, and settled in Norwich, Connecticut : he was sent in 1764 or 65, with Mr. Samuel Occum, an Indian preacher, to England, to collect funds for "Moore's Charity School," of Lebanon, an Indian school.
Jonathan Whitaker, Sen. removed with his family, (except Nathaniel,) from New England to New Jersey, and purchased of Thomas Penn and Richard Penn, proprietors of the Province of Pennsylvania, (by Richard Peters and Lynlord Ladner, their attornies and agents,) for the sum of £225, lawful money of the State of New Jersey, a tract of land, lying on both sides of Mine Brook, in Somerset county, 407 1/2 acres, by deed bearing date 19th December, 1752 ; and by writing of transfer on the back of said deed, bearing date 7th day of July, 1763, for the sum of £625, current money, of East New Jersey, at eight shillings per ounce, he conveyed to Jonathan Whitaker, Jun. his eldest son, the whole of the aforesaid tract of 4072 acres, excepting about 163 acres previously sold and conveyed to his son Eliphalet.
ELIPHALET WHITAKER, (son of Jonathan,) married Ruth Bailey, and at length sold his farm, and removed to Georgia, and settled there, leaving two children, Samuel and Elizabeth, in New Jersey.
SAMUEL WHITAKER, (son of Eliphalet,) was born. 26th November, 1756, and died 6th June, 1818, aged 61 1/2 yrs. He married, 2d March, 1783, Mary, a widow, and daughter of John Rivers. She was born 15th March, 1754, and died 2d October, 1825, aged 71 years ; they had children :
1. Mary. born 20th Dec. 1784, and married, 24th Dec. 1804. John Taylor.
2. Benjamin, born 16th February, 1787, and died 27th Oct 1827.
3. Samuel, born 11th June. 1789, and died 16th May, 1818.
4. Phebe, born 9th July, 1792, and died 22d April, 1810.
5. Elisha, born 21st February, 1793, married, 28th April,. 1824, Anne M. Finley, daughter of Alexander, of Basking Ridge ; she was born 14th December, 1799, and died 2d October, 1842.
MARY WHITAKER, (daughter of Samuel,) and John Taylor lived in New York, and had children:
1. Mary Antoinette Taylor, born 10th March, 1806, and married Jabez Hays.
2. Abigail Amelia Taylor, born 7th October, 1808, and married Mr. Chandler.
3. Samuel Taylor, born lath August, 1811, and married Harriet Jackson.
4. Phebe Taylor, born 5th September, 1813, and died 15th August, 1815.
5. Horace Taylor, born 13th November, 1815; married, and soon died.
6. Phebe Taylor, born 21st November, 1818.
7. George Edwin Taylor, born 25th August, 1821, and married Martha Durkin.
8. John Romeyn Taylor, born 27th December, 1824.
9. Susan Taylor, born 4th November, 1827, and died young.
ELISHA WHITAKER, (son of Samuel,) and Anne M. Finley lived in Newark, and had children :
1. Phebe Amelia, born 24th March, 1826, and died 14th April, 1846.
2. Samuel Elisha, born 12th February, 1831.
3. Alexander Finley, born 10th May, 1832, and died 13th April, 1833.
4. Alexander Finley, born 6th June, 1834.
5. Mary Anne, born 7th June, 1840.
6. Elisha Samuel, born 23d January, 1842, and died 10th October, 1842.
Elisha Whitaker married for his 2d wife, 12th June, 1844, Eliza M. Kinsey, widow of Jonathan Kinsey, of Philadelphia, and daughter of Nathaniel Manning; she was born 14th Feb7uary, 1808.
ELIZABETH WHITAKER, (daughter of Eliphalet,) narried William Roy, son of Judge John Roy, of Basking Ridge, and had children :
1. Hannah Roy, who married Aaron Hand, son of Jonahan ; she died 21st January, 1850. [See Hand.]
2. William Roy, Jun. married Deborah Whitaker, daughter of Stephen, son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun. ; he lived in Yates county, New York.
William Roy, Sen. died, and his widow Elizabeth married Richard Hall, son of John Hall. [See John Hall.]
ELIZABETH WHITAKER, (daughter of Jonathan Whitaker, Sen.) married Stephen Ogden, of Basking Ridge, lived where Patrick Matthews now does, and had children :
1. Jonathan Ogden, who lived near Morristown, was judge of the court.
2. Nathaniel Ogden.
3. Isaac Ogden was a physician, lived at Germantown, Hunterdon county, New Jersey, and had a son Oliver Wayne Ogden, who was several years Marshall of the state of New Jersey.
4. Sally Ogden, who married John Gaston, father of Joseph Gaston, of Pluckemin, who was the father of John Gaston and William B. Gaston, Esqs. of Somerville.
MARY WHITAKER, (daughter of Jonathan Whitaker, Sen.) married, 1st, Samuel Brown ; 2d, Ebenezer White, and removed to Long Island.
Mrs. White, after the death of her husband, returned to Basking Ridge, and lived in the house where General Lee was taken prisoner, in the revolutionary war. She had a daughter, Susan White, who married her cousin, Stephen Whitaker, eldest son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun. and had an only daughter, Susan Whitaker, who married Alexander Finley. [See Finley.]
JONATHAN WHITAKER JUN.
JONATHAN WHITAKER, Jun. (son of Jonathan,) and Mary Miller lived on part of the 407 acres of land purchased of his father, on Mine Brook, and had children:
1. Stephen, who married, 1st, his cousin, Susan White, daughter of Ebenezer White ; she died 1st September, 1773 ; 2d, Ruth Conklin, daughter of Stephen Conklin, who was born in Suffolk county, Long Island, 22d December, 1753, and died in Somerset county, N. J. 21st October, 1797.
2. Phebe married Rev. Francis Peppard, and lived in Sussex. [See Peppard.]
3. Polly, who died 19th February, 1822, aged 68 years, unmarried.
4. Sally married Moses Allen, removed to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, 18 miles west of Meadville, and had children : 1. Stephen Whitaker Allen ; 2. Jeremy Allen.
5. Rebecca, born 10th May, 1754, married William Conklin, Esq. son of Stephen. Mr. Conklin was an elder in the Presbyterian church at Basking Ridge. [See Conklin.]
6. Jonathan 3d married Mary Mitchel, had 13 children, and removed to Warren county, Ohio, about 1800.
7. Nathaniel, born June, 1758, and married, June, 1787, Hannah Drake, daughter of John Drake, of Mendham, and had a daughter, Sally, who married Garret Voorhies, Esq. His wife Hannah died December, 1794, and he married, 2d, Ruth Haines, daughter of Samuel Haines, near Vealtown, and had a daughter, Hannah, who married Nicholas Arrowsmith, Jun. Esq.
Nathaniel Whitaker died 27th October, 1841, and his widow Ruth died 10th November, 1844.
Jonathan Whitaker, Jun. died 1785, aged 73 years.
STEPHEN WHITAKER, (1st child of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) was born 10th January, 1747, and died 4th November, 1827. He and Susan White had a daughter, Susan, who married Alexander Finley. And by his 2d wife, Ruth Conklin, had children :
2. Jonathan, who married Mary Bailey, daughter of Thadeus Bailey, of Sussex county ; and lives in Yates county, New York.
3. Mary married Moses Hall, son of John, son of Richard Hall. [See Hall.]
4. Deborah married William Roy, Jun., son of William, son of John Roy, and lived in Yates county, New York. Mr. Roy was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church. She died 20th July, 1851.
5. Stephen, born 21st July, 1784, and married Mary Hall, sister of Moses Hall, lives at Cleveland, Ohio ; he was an Elder and Deacon in the Presbyterian Church there.
6. Ruth married, 1st, Ephraim Mallory, and had a son, John Mallory ; 2d, Jacob Vandeventer, son of Jacob, of Peapack, lived in Yates county, New York. She died 16th Oct. 1850, of cancer in the breast.
7. Isaac married Acsah Cushman, of Benton, Yates Co., and went to Michigan.
8. Phebe married Moses Hall, after the death of her sister Mary, and has no children.
9. Anne married Jonathan A. Hall, son of Jonathan, and nephew of Moses, and lives near Penn Yan, New York. Mr. Hall died 24th January, 1852. [See Hall.]
Stephen Whitaker's 2d wife, Ruth, died, and he married, 3d, Polly, the widow of John Cross ; she died, and he married, 4th, Agnes (Van Court,) the widow of Daniel Potter ; [See Potter,] she was sister of Hannah Van Court, who married Daniel Lacy, son of David Lacy. [See Lacy.] His 4th wife Agnes died in Benton, Yates county, New York, 29th July, 1837.
JONATHAN WHITAKER, (2d child of Stephen, son of Jonathan, Jun.,) and Mary Bailey, live in Yates county. N. Y. He was an Elder and an efficient member of the Presbyterian Church at Benton ; he was born 24th January, 1780 ; she was born 27th August, 1784. They had children :
1. Squier Bailey, born 29th May, 1807, and married, 1st, Mary Amsbury, daughter of Stephen ; 2d, in 1832, Lydia C. Amsbury, sister of his first wife ; she died in childbed, with her first child, 24th January, 1852, leaving an infant son.
2. Stephen Madison, born 3d June, 1809, and married Mary Anne Gage, daughter of Martin Gage, of Bellona, and is a merchant there. They had children : 1. Ephraim Seward ; 2 George Homer ; 3_ Mary Virginia 4. Stephen Eddy.
3. Alexander Finley, born 7th August. 1811, married, 20th June, 1843, Louisa P. Torrence, daughter of Richard Torrence. He is a Major General of Militia, and a farmer. They had children : 1. Hellen Lucinda, born 17th March, 1845. 2. Charles, who died 25th February, 1850, aged 3 months and 19 days. 3. Melville Torrence, born 26th April, 1851.
4. William Harlow, born 16th Aug. 1813, married Anne Eliza Mc Dowel, daughter of Jonathan, and had children : 1. William Henry ; 2. Jonathan ; 3 Augustus ; 4. Marietta ; 5. Francis ; 6. Alice Aurelia ; and a daughter.
5. Ephraim Mallory, born 27th August, 1816, married 12th September., 1844, Eliza W. Bates, live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, is a merchant there, and has children : Grenville Adolbert, born 23d November, 1846, and Herbert Belletti; born October 6th, 1850.
6. Ruth Ann, born 15th November, 1818.
7. Marietta, born 21st December, 1820.
8. George W., born 27th November, 1823, and died at 20 months old.
MARY WHITAKER, (3d child of Stephen, son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and Moses Hall, lived at Geneva, and had children :
1. Jane Hall, born 25th April, 1809, and married John Humphry ; live in Michigan.
2. Phebe Hall, born 5th November, 1810, married Nelson Rowley ; live in Michigan.
3. Rachel Hall, born 7th November, 1812.
4. Stephen Whitaker Hall, born 5th August, 1815, married Nancy Graham, and live at Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
5. Henry Axtel Hall, born 9th February, 1817, married Susan C. Babcock ; live in Geneva.
6. Mary Hall, born 9th March, 1820, married 30th September, 1847, the Rev. John Jermain Porter, of Geneva.
7. Hetty Hall, born 18th September, 1823, married Chauncey B. Ackley ; live in Geneva.
DEBORAH WHITAKER, (4th child of Stephen, son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and William Roy, had children :
1. Charles Roy, who married Elizabeth Tracy, and had children : 1. William Tracy Roy ; 2. Chester Roy.
2. Eliza Roy, who married Doctor Joel H. Ross, and live in New York.
DEACON STEPHEN WHITAKER, (5th child of Stephen, son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and Mary Hall, had children:
1. John Hall Whitaker, born 6th May, 1813, and married Francis Elvina Grosvenor, daughter of Vine Grosvenor, of Pittsfield, Mass ; live at Toledo, Ohio ; is an iron monger. His wife died 2d September, 1849, aged 32 years, and left one child, Charles Henry, born 5th September, 1846.
2. Charles, born 13th March, 1817, and married, 1st November, 1851 , Susan Littell, daughter of John Littell, Esq., son of Nathaniel, of New Providence, Essex county, New Jersey. [See Nathaniel Littell, son of David.]
3. Mary Catherine, born 13th January, 1820.
4. Stephen Conklin ____, died suddenly of erysipelas, November, 15th 1851, after 4 days illness.
5. Henry Axtel, who died at 5 years.
6. William Henry.
7. Helen Elizabeth, who died at 11 months.
RUTH WHITAKER, (6th child of Stephen, son of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and Ephraim Mallory, lived in Yates county, New York.
NOTE.—Ephraim Mallory was son of Meredith Mallory and Mary Barnum, of Connecticut ; they had three children : 1. John ; 2. Meredith ; and 3. Ephraim Mallory.
Ruth Whitaker and Ephraim Mallory, had children :
1. John Mallory, who married Mary Lacy, daughter of Silas Lacy, son of Daniel Lacy [See Lacy] and Hannah Van Court, sister of Agnes Van Court, widow of Daniel Potter, [See Potter] the 4th wife of Stephen Whitaker, son of Jonathan, Jun. John Mallory had an only daughter, Ruth Anne, born March, 1845.
2. Deborah Mallory, born 9th November, 1811, who married Milton Curtis, son of Tracy Curtis, and had a son, Charles Curtis, born 28th November, 1833. Mr. Curtis died 17th October, 1839.
Ephraim Mallory died 1813, and his widow, Ruth, married Jacob Vandeventer, son of Jacob, of Peapack, and had children :
3. William Vandeventer, born 1819, who married Elizabeth Derry, daughter of John Derry, near Penn Yan, and had children : 1. Edward ; 2. John Jacob ; 3. Frank Derry Vandeventer.
4. Mary Vandeventer, born 9th November, 1820, married Doctor William Breck, born 14th November, 1818, son of Joseph Breck, and live at Springfield. Mass. and have a son, Theodore Frelinghuysen Breck.
5. Stephen Vandeventer, born 7th February, 1823, married Anne Eliza Andrews, daughter of Doctor Jerry Andrews, and have a son, William Bryant Vandeventer, born 7th December. 1843.
6. Elizabeth, who died in 1829, aged 11 months.
ISAAC WHITAKER, (7th child of Stephen, son of Jonathan, Jun.) and Acsah Cushman, removed to Michigan. He was born 16th January, 1792; she was born 11th July, 1796. They had children :
1. Charles, born 16th November, 1818, married Laura Beach, 20th December, 1843, daughter of William Beach, and had chiildren : 1. Finley Beach, born 2d December, 1846. 2. Caroline Fidelia, born 8th May, 1849.
2. Stephen Deming, born 12th December, 1820, and married, 5th October, 1845, Caroline Kellogg, daughter of Judge Kellogg, of Sharon, Conn. and have a daughter, Adeline Matilda, born 10th August, 1848.
3. Phebe Caroline, born 24th December, 1824.
4. Isaac Milton, born 2d May, 1826.
5. Matilda Jane, born 19th July, 1828.
6. Sabrina, born 28th September, 1831, and died 15th June, 1836.
7. Byron Cushman, born 11th May, 1835.
PHEBE WHITAKER, (2d child of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and the Rev. Francis Peppard, lived in Sussex, and had children :
1. Phebe Peppard, who died in childhood.
2. Jonathan Peppard removed to Wheeling, Virginia, and from thence to Worcester, Ohio, and rendered much assistance in the establishment of the church in that new settlement. He had a numerous family.
3. Phebe Peppard 2d married John Caruthers, Esq., of Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and had one daughter and six sons. She died about 1847, aged 80 years.
4. Elizabeth Peppard married Lewis Kerr, son of Joseph, and lived in Brook county, Virginia. She died about 1820, aged about 53 years. Lewis Kerr was many years an Elder in the Presbyterian church.
5. Nathaniel Peppard married Peggy Green, or Miss Freeman, and had a numerous family, living in Indianapolis. He has been many years a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian church.
6. Sarah Peppard married Aaron Kerr, brother of Lewis, about the year 1800 ; they were both born in 1777 ; he was elected at the age of 22 years an Elder in the Presbyterian church, at Hardwich, Sussex county, New Jersey, and about the same time elected to a seat in the Legislature of New Jersey. He subsequently removed to Washington county, Pennsylvania, and continued to serve his country and the church in a public capacity.
7. Rebecca Peppard.
8. Isaac Peppard, who died in youth.
After the death of the Rev. Francis Peppard, his widow removed with her son-in-law, Aaron Kerr, to Pennsylvania, about 1810. She died at about 80 years of age, in the triumphs of the gospel.
ELIZABETH PEPPARD and Lewis Kerr removed to Washington county, Penn. about 1808, and had children :
1. Phebe Kerr, who married Doct. John Todd, from New York, and had one son, John Todd. Doct. Todd died, and his widow Phebe married Doct. Cebar. She died about 1846.
2. Lydia Kerr married William Gordon, of Western Pennsylvania, and had 7 children, viz. Hampton, Amanda, James, and others.
3. Isaac Kerr married Miss Thompson, daughter of William, and had children, William, Amanda, Lydia, and two others.
4, Elsie Kerr married James Carson, of Brook county, Virginia, and had children, Harriet, Sarah, William, James, and others.
Mr. Lewis Kerr married, 2d, Sarah Dawson, and had other children.
NATHANIEL PEPPARD and his wife had children :
1. Elizabeth married Mr. Landis, and had a daughter, Mary, who married the Rev. Lawrence G. Hay, of the Allahabad mission, in Northern India.
2. Mary married Mr. Morris, and lives in Indianapolis, Indiana.
4. Phebe married ______, in Indianapolis.
5. James married ______, in Indianapolis.
6. Margaret married Mr. Demoss ; lives in Indianapolis.
7. Joseph married ______; lives in New Orleans.
8. Phebe married Mr. Beabitt ; she is now a widow.
SARAH PEPPARD and Aaron Kerr had children:
1. Susan Kerr, who married Doct. Samuel Todd, brother of Doct. John Todd, and had children :
1. Barton Todd, who married ______, and lives in Washington county, Pennsylvania.
2. Jane Todd.
3. Stephen Todd married, ______, and lives in Monongahela City.
4. Andrew Oliphant Todd is a Presbyterian minister ; settled in Ohio. He married, 1851, ______.
5. John Milton Todd ; 6. Elizabeth Todd ; 7. Hamilton Todd ; 8. Samuel Erskine Todd.
Doct. Todd died, and his widow, Susan, married Mr. Applegate, near Monongahela City.
2. Francis P. Kerr, was a physician ; married Jane Fleming, daughter of Daniel. He died in 1825, aged 25 years, leaving children, Daniel and Francis.
3. Elizabeth Green Kerr married Joseph Fleming, brother of Jane, and had children : 1. Kerr Fleming ; 2. Alexander Fleming ; 3. Susan Fleming ; 4. Hampton Fleming ; 5 Amanda Fleming ; 6. Joseph Fleming ; 7. Hervy Fleming.
4. Joseph Kerr, born 5th Feb.1806, is a Presbyterian minister ; was ordained in 1833, and soon went as a missionary to the Indians, west of Missouri, and subsequently settled in Poland, Ohio, near the west line of Pennsylvania. He mairied Mary Anne Caldwell, daughter of William Caldwell, of Pittsburg, and had children: 1. E. Byington ; 2. Joseph Brainerd ; 3. Clarissa ; 4. Elliot ; 5. Walter Lowry ; 6. Anna Jane.
5. Phebe Kerr married James Hair, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and have children : 1. Hamilton Hair, and others.
6. Hampton Kerr married Jane Lee, daughter of John Lee, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and had children : 1. Lee Anne ; 2. Aaron.
7. Amanda Kerr married, first, Rev. Joseph Reed, and had one child, Sarah Elizabeth Reed. Mr. Reed died, and she married, 2d, Henry Haman, of Pittsburg, and lives there.
8. Aaron Hervy Kerr is a Presbyterian minister in Ontario, Indiana ; was licensed in 1847. He married, in 1848, Elizabeth Craig, daughter of the Hon. Walter Craig, of Penn.
Walter Ker, the ancestor of the Kerrs, before named, was banished from Scotland, in the time of the persecution, and was permitted to remove to America. He came to New Jersey, and settled in Freehold, in the year 1685, and as a layman was eminently useful in the establishment of the gospel in that region ; his descendants have been blessed as useful members of the church of Christ. He had a son, Samuel, who had two sons, Samuel and Joseph. Joseph had sons, Lewis and Aaron Kerr. Samuel had a son Jacob, who was a minister of the gospel, and Pastor for thirty years over two churches near Salsbury, Maryland, and died in 1795.
Rev. Jacob Kerr had a son, Doct. Samuel Kerr, of Prince Anne, Somerset county, Maryland, who had a son, Rev. Jacob W. E. Kerr, Pastor of the Presbyterian church at Deerfield, West Jersey Presbytry.
JONATHAN WHITAKER 3d, (6th child of Jonathan, Jun.) and Mary Mitchel lived in Warren county, Ohio. He died July, 1810, aged 79 years ; his widow died November, 1850, aged 87 years ; they had children :
1. Nathaniel, who married Nancy Hayden.
2. Abigail, who died young.
3. Jonathan M., who married, 1st, Jane Irvin ; 2d, Anne McIntire ; 3d, Polly Miller, daughter of John Miller, of Springdale ; he removed to Centreville, Indiana.
4. William, twin to Jonathan M. married Sarah Skinner, sister of Richard Skinner, who married Catherine Hurin, [see Hurin,] and daughter of Daniel Skinner.
5. Sarah married David Reeder, son of Daniel, of Pleasant Ridge, and removed to Illinois.
6. Abigail married Daniel Skinner, son of Abraham, brother of Daniel.
7. Benjamin married, 1st, Catherine Felter ; 2d, Hannah Miller, sister of Jonathan's 3d wife, and has living children : 1. Jonathan, who married Nancy Cox. 2. Mary.
8. Stephen married Huldah Skinner, sister of Daniel, Abigail's husband ; lives near Mason, Hamilton county, Ohio.
9. James, born 22d October, 1798, married Mary Abbot, daughter of John ; he is a mason, lives in Huntsville, Ohio.
10. Polly Halsted married Joseph Runyon, of Lebanon, and had children, Courtland Runyon and Mary Runyon.
JONATHAN M. WHITAKER and Jane Irvin, had children :
1. James Irvin, who married Mary McClure.
2. Mary Halsted married Alexander Morrow, son of Richard.
3. Nancy Jane, who died at about 18 years.
4. William Mitchel married Sarah Jane McKannis, daughter of Robert.
5. Sarah lives in Piqua.
Jonathan M. Whitaker, by Anne McIntire, had children:
6. David Newton, who died at about 23 years.
7. Martha died at about 13 years.
8. Jonathan Milton, born 25th October, 1829, lives at Piqua.
9. Margaret Anne died at about one year.
10. Mary Jane lives at Reading.
By his 3d wife, Polly Miller, he had no children.
WILLIAM WHITAKER, (4th child of Jonathan 3d, 6th child of Jonathan, Jun.) and Sarah Skinner, had children :
1. Mary M. who married Daniel Morris, and went to Texas.
2. Jonathan Miller went to Texas, and married there, Cynthia Robins.
3. Martha Anne married David Enyart, son of David.
4. Sarah Skinner married Nelson Littleton, of Middletown.
5. Phebe Mills, twin to Sarah Skinner, married, 1st, Daniel Pauly : 2d, Ambrose Voorhies.
6 Isabel Skinner married Paulaski Whelan.
7. Amanda married Andrew May, Jun. lives in Indiana.
8. Rebecca Reeder ; 9. Richard.
10. William Pitt Skinner went to Texas.
JAMES WHITAKER. (9th child of Jonathan 3d,) and Mary Abbot lived at Huntsville, and had children :
1. John, who married Hannah Jane Clifton ; live in Rossville, and had children : 1. Laura ; 2. Clement.
2. Jonathan married, 1st, Elizabeth Jaques, who had no children ; 2d, Charlotte Harper, lived in Tennessee, and had children : 1. Austin ; 2. Mary Anne.
3. Stephen married Sarah Irvin ; live in Butler county, Ohio.
4. Joseph married Emily Jones ; live about 40 miles west, of Hamilton, Ohio, in Indiana.
5. Benjamin ; 6. Ichabod ; 7. James.
8. Albert, born 10th June, 1842.
NOTE.--The widow Mitchel, mother of Jonathan Whitaker's wife, Mary Mitchel, married William Conklin, Sen. as his 2d wife.
NATHANIEL WHITAKER, (7th child of Jonathan Whitaker, Jun.,) and Hannah Drake had one daughter, Sally, who married Garret Voorhies, Esq. ; lives where her father did, and had children :
1. John Voorhies, born 14th June, 1817.
2. Matilda Voorhies married, 8th Jan. 1851, Charles Barker, an Englishman. She died in childbed, Sept. 28th 1851 ; had twins, born 21st Sept. and both died before her.
3. Anne Voorhies married, Dec. 1849, William Heath, son of Robert.
4. Hannah Voorhies married, 28th Oct. 1847, James Garritson Kline, son of John, son of David Kline, of Reddington, Somerset county, and had a daughter, Dorothy Kline, born 17th Nov. 1849.
5. Ellen Voorhies ; 6. Garret Voorhies. 7. Nathaniel Whitaker Voorhies. 8. Samuel Scott Voorhies ; 9. Mary Voorhies. 10. Ruth Elizabeth Voorhies; 11. Ralph Voorhies.
Nathaniel Whitaker, by his 2d wife, Ruth Haines, had but one daughter, Hannah, who married Nicholas Arrowsmith, Jun. Esq. son of Nicholas, Esq. of Peapack, and had children :
1. Theodore Arrowsmith.
2. Elizabeth Barnet Arrowsmith, who married Charles Dayton, of New Brunswick, merchant, son of Jesse Dayton, of Fort Plain, and had children : 1. Mary Elizabeth Dayton ; 2. Anna Whitaker Dayton ; 3. Emma Dayton ; 4. Charles Meredith Dayton ; 5. Frances Salina Dayton ; 6. James Dayton.
3. Henrietta Arrowsmith, who married, 22d November, 1848, Doctor Alexander N. Dougherty, of Newark, and had a son, Alexander Dougherty.
JOHN WILLIAMS, brother of Samuel, lives in Westfield, and had children :
I. Noah, who married Betsey Marsh, daughter of Joshua, of Westfield. He died 3d Jan. 1824, aged 73 years.
2. John, Jun., who died unmarried.
3. Cornelius married Betsey Reddin, of Westfield ; lived in New York several years, and removed to New Providence, where he died 28th Aug. 1828, aged 76 years. His wife died 2d Nov. 1818, aged 55 years. and left no children.
4. Henry married Betsey Scudder.
5. Squier married Nancy Williams, daughter of Henry.
6. Smith married Betsey Hetfield, daughter of Deacon Hetfield, of Westfield.
7. David married, 3d Aug. 1788, Hannah Marsh.
8. Lewis married Chloe Campbell.
9. Ezekiel married ______; lived and died in New York.
10. Abner went to the South, and died unmarried.
NOAH WILLIAMS, (1st son of John,) came from Westfield, and purchased the farm now owned by Edward Price, on the north side of Long Hill, and died 3d January, 1824, age 73 years He and Betsey Marsh had children :
1. Ezra, who married Margaret Faitout, and for several years kept a tavern and store in the village of New Providence. His wife Margaret died, and he married, 2d, Hetty Totten, daughter of Jonathan Totten, and removed to New York, and is there a shoe maker ; he has had no children.
2. Noah, who married Polly Pool, daughter of John Pool.
3. Rachel, who married, 1st, David Cole, of Westfield, had a son. John Cole ; when Mr. Cole died, and she married Ellis Noe, son of John, and had children : 1. Hester Noe ; 2. Eliza; 3 Isaac Noe ; 4. Daniel W. Noe 5. David Noe. [See Ellis Noe.]
4. Daniel, who died in New York.
5. Abigail, who married William High, son of Jacob. [See High.]
6. Abner married Deborah Hand, daughter of Robert Hand ; live in Morristown, and had children: 1. Frances. 2. Mariah, who married William Crowel, of New York, and lives there. 3. David, who married ______ ; 4. Robert.
5. Margaret married Caleb Conklin, son of John Johnson Conklin, of Spring Valley.
6. Alfred married Elizabeth Wilson, of Morristown, and lives there.
7. Abner Williams, Jun. ; 8. Harriet; 9. Alvira. 10. Charles ; 11. Catherine.
SAMUEL WILLIAMS, (brother of John,) lived at Williams' Farms, between Westfield and Elizabethtown. He had three wives, and seventeen children. Some of his children were, Joel, Samuel, Jedediah, David, Moses, Nathaniel, John, Polly, and another daughter, who married Jacob Searing.
Moses married Sally Miller, daughter of Moses Miller, of Westfield.
JOHN WILLIAMS, (son of Samuel,) came up and bought the farm of John Roll, on the north side, of Long Hill ; he was born 10th August, 1768, and died 25th February, 1839, aged 70 1/2 years. He married Anna Spinning; who was born 2d September, 1771, and died 6th March, 1828 they had children :
1. Anna Spinning, born 10th November, 1792 ; married, 3d December, 1808, John Hand, son of Benjamin, of Long Hill.
2. Ebenezer Spinning, born 28th October, 1794, and married, 17th March, 1819, 1st, Sarah Carle ; 2d, Lydia Carle, daughters of Jonas Carle.
3. Mariah, born 11th December, 1796, married, 10th Jan. 1816, John W. Stiles, son of Daniel Stiles, of Elizabethtown, and live there.
4. Phebe S. born 12th January. 1800 ; married, 24th Feb. 1825, Moses M. Crane, son of Nathaniel Crane, of Elizabethtown, and live there.
5. Stiles, born 19th August, 1802, married Annetta Rogers, daughter of Dr. John Rogers, the widow of Mr. VanWagener, of Luzerne county, Pennsylvania , has no children.
6. Lockey, born 23d December, 1804, married, 23d March, 1826, Cornelius Winnie, son of Martin Winnie, and had 5 children, who all died young. and then she died.
7. Elias Riggs, born 2d July, 1807, married 16th February, 1832, Mary Vandervoort, daughter of Paul Vandlervoort, of Lamington ; he lives where his father did.
8. Eliza Ellen, born 25th February, 1810, and married the above named Cornelius Winnie.
9. Harriet Edney. born 9th October, 1812, and married Jacob G. White, of New Vernon.
ANNA S. WILLIAMS, (daughter of John, son of Samuel) and John Hand had children:
1. Stiles Williams Hand, who married Mary Anne Boyle.
2. John Eden Hand.
3. Anna Mariah Hand married Hervy Frost, of Green Village, and went to Ohio.
4. Harriet Hand went to Ohio, and married.
5. Emma Hand went to Ohio, and married.
EBENEZER S. WILLIAMS, (son of John,) and Sarah Carle, had children :
1. Daniel Carle ; 2. Theodore ; 3. Sarah Anne.
He had no children by his 2d wife Lydia.
MARIAH WILLIAMS, (daughter of John,) and John W. Stiles had children :
1. David W. Stiles ; 2 Henrietta Stiles ; 3. Eliza Ellen Stiles ; 4. Ebenezer Stiles ; 5. Harriet W. Stiles ; 6. Lockey Anne Stiles.
PHEBE S. WILLIAMS, (daughter of John,) and Moses M. Crane had children:
1. Elias Spencer Crane, who died at 14 years.
2. Anna W. Crane, who married Abraham Miller, of Union.
3. Jane Crane.
4. John Williams Crane.
5. Charles Crane.
ELIAS R. WILLIAMS, (son of John,) and Mary Vandervoort, had children:
1. John ; 2. Paul Vandervoort; 3. Elias Edwin ; 4. Mary Anne.
ELIZA ELLEN WILLIAMS, (daughter of John,) and Cornelius Winnie lives on the Sterling farm, and had children :
1. Jane Winnie ; 2. Henry Winnie ; 3. Spencer Winnie ; 4. Anna Winnie ; 5. Rachel Winnie ; 6. Harriet Annetta Winnie.
HARRIET EDNEY WILLIAMS, (daughter of John,) and Jacob G. White had children :
1. Theodore White ; 2. Eliza Ellen White ; 3. William White, who died at 5 years ; 4. Benjamin Franklin White ; 5. A son.
PETER WILLCOCKSE came from England, and settled between the mountains, on a hill known to this day as "Peter's Hill," on the north side of Blue Brook, a little above Feltville, 6th January, 1736-7. There was surveyed to him there, by Joseph Morss, surveyor for the "Elizabethtown Associates," 424 acres of land, lying along the east branch of Green Brook, called Blue Brook ; Feltville is situated on this tract.
The Rev. Mr. Hunting, in his history of the Parish of Westfield, says that "this Parish was settled about the year 1720, by the English, and that James Badgley and Peter Willcox located on the mountain before any persons settled below, because it abounded in heavy timber ."
Peter Willcockse married Phebe Badgley, sister of James and John Badgley, lately from Long Island, and had children :
1. Peter Wilcox, Jun, who married Betsey Miller.
2. William, who married, 1st, Miss Howel : 2d, Betsey Hole, sister of Charles Hole.
3. John married Massy Ross ; he died 22d November, 1776, aged 49 years.
4. Stephen married Polly Carter, and lived near Elizabethtown.
5. Sarah married Joseph Allen, Jun. of Washington Valley. [See Allen.]
PETER WILLCOX, Jun. and Betsey Miller, had children :
1. David, who died young.
2. Noah, who married his cousin, Rachel Willcox, daughter of William.
3. Betsey married Benjamia Stites, son of William. [See Stites]
4. Hannah married, 5th December, 1764, John Frazee, son of Joseph.
5. Sabera married her cousin, Ephriam Miller, of Westfield.
6. Polly married Benjamin Hedges, son of Uriah, Jun.
7. Joanna married Benjamin Lyon, sun of Peter. [see Lyon]
NOAH WILLCOX, (2d son of Peter, Jun.) and Rachel Willcox, had children :
1. David, who married Polly Hedges, daughter of Gilbert, and had no children.
2. William married Betsey Raddin, daughter of Jeremy [name hard to read]
3. Joanna, born 15th February, 1783, and married, 1st Reuben Frazee ; 2d, Edward Page.
4. Cornelius married Abby Corwin, daughter of Stephen.
5. Betty married Ahijah Badgley, son of Jonathan. [See Badgley]
Noah, Jun. married Lockey Leonard, daughter of John.
WILLIAM WILLCOX, (2d son of Noah,) and Betsey Raddin, had children :
1. Fanny, who married Benjamin Parsons, son of Jacob Searing Parsons.
2. Nancy married William Littell, son of Henry, son of Jonathan Littell. [See Littell]
3. Charlotte, who died in infancy.
JOANNA WILLCOX, (3d child of Noah,) and Reuben Frazee had children :
1. Lockey Frazee, who had a son, Robert Dunlap, who married Joanna Whittlesey, of Plainfield.
2. Abby Frazee married Jeremy Radden, son of William.
3. Eliza Frazee, who died at about 7 years.
4. William Frazee married Margaret Roseboam, daughter of Garret Roseboam, of Plainfied.
5. Jane Frazee married Merton Osborn, of Clinton.
6. John Frazee, who died at about one year.
7. Mary Frazee died at about 7 years.
8. John Frazee married Jane ____, of Long Island ; lives in Newark.
9. Andrew J. Frazee, who died in infancy.
CORNELIUS WILLCOX, (4th child of Noah,) and Abijah Corwin, had children :
1. Harriet, who married Sears Hetfield.
2. Isaac married Sarah Dunham, daughter of Samuel, of Liberty Corner.
3. Ezra married Sarah Baker, of Elizabethtown.
4. Amos married Hannah Rino, daughter of Charles.
5. Mary married Edward Darcy Pennington, son of William, of Dead River.
6. Aaron ; 7. Anne.
BETSEY WILLCOX, (5th child of Noah,) and Ahijah [sp.?] Badgley had children:
1. Mary Badgley, who married Carlisle Miller.
2. Eliza. Badgley married Erastus Miller, brother of Carlisle.
3. Noah Badgley.
NOAH WILLCOX, Jun, (6th child of Noah,) and Lockey Leonard, had children :
1. Eliza, who married Absalom Martin Moffett, and had children : . Bryan Moffett ; 2. Caroline Moffett ; 3. Mary Moffett ; 4 John Moffett ; 5. Lavisa Moffett ; 6. Emma Moffett.
2. Phebe married Byram Darlin, son of William, and had children : 1. John Darlin ; 2. Susan Darlin ; 3. Rachel Darlin ; 4. Clarence Darlin.
3. Charlotte married Dennis Moffett, son of Absalom Moffett, and had children ; 1. Elizabeth Moffett ; 2. Albert Moffett 3. Harriet Moffott ; 4. Henry Moffett.
5 Caroline married Samuel Ball, son of David, of Union, and had children : 1. Emma Ball. and others.
6. John; 7. Albert ; 8. Noah, 3d. 9. Mary Anne. 10. Amanda.
WILLIAM WILLCOX, (2d child of Peter Willcockse,) and Miss Howel had children :
1. William, Jun., who married, 13th Sept. 1767, Phebe Osborn.
2. Levi married. 18th May, 1783, Hester Valentine, daughter Obadiah. He died 2d March, 184 [just 3 digits on pg]. She died 7th June 1833.
3. Benjamin married Mary Mills, of Westfield.
4. Cornelius, who died unmarried.
5. Sabera married, 9th Aug. 1770, David Broadwell, of Rahway.
6 Elizabeth married, 26th Jan. 1767, James Hall.
7. Polly, who died young.
8. Phebe married, 3d May, 1770, Joseph Jennings, west of Mount Bethel.
9. Lucretia married Jeremy Raddin. [See Raddin.]
10. Sarah married, 30th May, 1776, David French. [See French.]
11. Rachel married her cousin Noah Willcox. [See Noah Willcox.]
LEVI WILLCOX, (son of William.) and Esther Valentine had children :
1. Mary, who married, 1st, Anthony Doty, son of Joseph Doty 3d ; 2d, Joseph Wilson, brother of Jacob Wilson, of Morristown.
2. Rachel married William Van Blarcum, of Paterson, and lives there.
3 Jonathan Mulford married Sally Tucker, daughter of Moses. She died 24th August, 1849.
4. Levi, Jun. married, 1st, Huldah Crane, daughter of John Crane, and removed to Covington, Indiana. He married, 2d, in Indiana, Clarissa Norris.
MARY WILLCOX, (daughter of Levi, ) and Anthony Doty had children:
1. Betsey, who married John W. Hand, son of Nehemiah, and had no children. By Joseph Wilson, she had children.
2. Robert Turner, who married, 1st, Mary Wood, daughter of Daniel S. Wood, Jun. ; 2d Harriet Brookfield, daughter of Job Brookfield, Esq., of Morristown. He is a marble cutter, and a Justice of the Peace, and Judge of the court.
3. Rachel, who married William Boylan, of Newark.
JONATHAN M. WILLCOX, (son of Levi,) and Sally Tucker had children :
1. John Tucker, born 16th Nov. 1814, and married. 16th May, 1848, Harriet Littell, daughter of John Littell, Esq., and had one child 1. George, born 21st Nov. 1849.
2. Silas married Sarah Anne Drake, daughter of Jonathan, and had children : 1. Sarah Anne; 2. Jonathan M.
3. Hetty is unmarried.
LEVI WILLCOX, Jun., (son of Levi,) and Huldah Crane had children :
1. David Bartine, who died at about 20 years.
2. Annar married, lst, ______ ; 2d, Mr. Atkinson.
3. Elias Crane married, 8th Feb. 1849, Rachel V. Field.
4. Orpha, who died at about 14 years.
5. Albert ; 6. Francis; 7. Mulford ; 8. John ; 9. Mary.
BENJAMIN WILLCOX, (3d son of William,) and Mary Mills had children:
1. Benjamin, Jun., who married, 1st, Sally the widow of Moses F. Badgley, and daughter of Nathan Wilkison.
2. Eliza, who married Benjamin Cory, son of George, and died without children.
3. Mary, who died young.
BENJAMIN WILLCOX, (son of Benjamin, son of William,) and Sally Wilkison had children :
1. Joseph, who married Phebe Bailey, daughter of John, son of Samuel, of Springfield.
2. Squier married Maryetta Littell, daughter of Thomas T. Littell, and had children : 1. Anne Elizabeth ; 2. Sarah.
3. Susan married Isaac Brant. son of James, of Rahway.
4. Marcus; 5. John; 6. David ; 7. Sarah Anne.
Sally, the wife of Benjamin Willcox, Jun. then died. and he married, 2d, Nancy Littell, daughter of John, of Martinville, who was son of Nathaniel Litton, Jun., son of Nathaniel, son of Samuel Littell, and had children : 8. Mary Elizabeth ; 9. Mercy ; 10. Benjamin ; 11. James; 12. George.
PHEBE WILLCOX, (daughter of William,) and Joseph Jenningi had children:
1. Polly Jennings.
2. Henry Jennings, who married Sally Mulford, and had chil&en : 1. Phebe Jennings ; 2. Elizabeth Jennings ; 3. Hannah Jennings ; 4. Mulford Jennings.
3. Rhoda Jennings, who married John Lacy, and had a child, Mary Lacy.
JOHN WILLCOX, (3d child of Peter Wilicockse,) and Massy Ross had children :
1. John Willcox, Jun., who married Polly, the widow of Isaac Line. and daughter of William Maxwell. NOTE—She had a son, Isaac Line, by her first husband.
2. Isaac, who married Polly Dunham.
3. Peter 3d, who married ______.
4. Daniel married, 19th Oct. 1783, Deborah Mulford, daughter of Ezekiel Mulford, brother of Capt. Jonathan Mulford. [See Mulford.]
5. Stephen, who died young.
6. Moses married Polly Line, daughter of Joseph Line ; lived in Middlesex county, below New Brunswick.
7. Sarah married Ebenezer Lyon, son of Peter. [See Lyon.]
8. Massy married Nathaniel Lyon, son of Peter. [See Lyon.]
9. Polly married Isaac Garthrite.
JOHN WILLCOX, Jun., (son of John Willcox,) and Polly Maxwell had children :
1. Abigail, who married, 2d July, 1795, Israel Brant. She married, 2d, John Morris, of Newark, and 3d, Daniel Magie, of Elizabethtown, and had no children.
2. Sarah married, 28th Feb. 1796, Daniel S. Clark, son of Samuel Clark, Esq. [See Clark.]
3. Betsey married Aaron Ball, son of Aaron Ball, Esq. [See Ball.]
4. William and John. twins ; William died young.
5. John 3d, born 15th Jan. 1788, and married Sarah Line, born 1st Nov. 1793, daughter of Joseph Line.
6. Polly married her cousin, Ezekiel Wilcox, son of Daniel.
7. Samuel married Eliza S. Osborn, daughter of Dr. Smith S. Osborn. He is a Justice of the Peace in Newark, and had children ; 1. Augustus ; 2. Catherine ; 3. Samuel.
8. Amos married, 13th Jan 1818, Polly Meeker. daughter of Caleb, and had a. son, Theodore. His wife died and he married, 2d, Eliza Nail, of New York ; he is a marble worker in Newark, and has other children.
JOHN WILLCOX 3d, (son of John Willcox, Jun ,) and Sarah Line, lives where his father did, and had children :
1. Caroline, who married James I. Spencer, son of William. [See Spencer]
2. Hetty married Isaac Meeker, Jun., son of Caleb. [See Meeker.]
3. Isaac Line married, 19th September, 1838, Mary M. Jones, only daughter of Erastus Jones, and have children, Caroline and Erastus.
4. Henry, born 25th September, 1818.
5. Edmund Arnold.
6 Abigail, born 27th September, 1827, married Henry Jemison, son of Henry Jemison and Hannah Littell, daughter of Nathaniel Littell, Jun.
7. John Morris, born 31st July, 1829, married, 12th Nov. 1851, Anna Mariah Vail.
8. Mary Louisa, born 23d April, 1831.
DANIEL WILLCOX, (4th child of John Willcox, Sen..) and Deborah Mulford, had children :
1. Hannah, who married Joseph Casterline, and had a son, Mulford Casterline, who married, 26th May, 1823, Harrie Samson, son of Benjamin. Mr. Casterline then died, and she married John Marshall, son of James [See Marshall]
2. Ezekiel, born 13th Dec. 1789, and married, 1st, his cousin, Polly Willcox, daughter of John Willcox, Jun. She died, and he married. 2d, Betsey Brown, daughter of Matthew Brown, of Woodbridge. He married, 3d, the widow Drummond, of Monmouth Co. He lives between Westfield, and Rahway.
3. Jotham married Lois Scudder, daughter of Stites Scudder, and removed to Seneca county, New York, between the Lakes.
4. Jane married Isaac Meeker, son of Isaiah. [SeeMeeker.]
5. Mary married Marsh Allen, son of William. [Sec Allen.] She married, 2d, John Muchmore, of Madison.
6 Ezra married, 1st, Sarah Mizener, daughter of Isaac, of Kingston ; she died, and he married, 2d, Rachel Jennings, daughter of Benjamin, of Washington Valley.
Mr. Daniel Willcox died 27th February, 1842.
EZEKIEL WILLCOX, (2d child of Daniel, son of John) and his 1st wife, Polly Willcox, had children:
1. Abigail, who married Abraham Randolph, live in Cherry Valley, Ashtabula county, Ohio, and had children : 1. Amos ; 2. Eliza ; and others.
2. Eliza Anne married Madison Stone, of Connecticut, and live in Cherry Valley.
3. Daniel Mulford married Sasan Reed, daughter of John Reed, of New York ; lives in Rahway, and had children : 1. Mary ; 2. Anne Eliza ; 3. JJha ; 4. Ezekiel Morrison.
4. Mary Jane married Hiram Williams.
5. John, who died in his 20th year.
6. Harriet married Joseph W. Crane, son of William Crane, Esq. [See Crane.]
Ezekiel Willcox, by his 2d wife, Betsey Brown, had:
7. Emily, who married Mr. Frank, and had a daughter, Emily Frank, when he died.
8. Matilda, who married John Emmick.
And by his third wife, Mr. Willcox had:
9. Ezekiel Halsey.
JOTHAM WILLCOX. (3d child of Daniel, son of John,) and Lois Scudder, had children :
1. Eliza Catherine, who married Benjamin Bartlet, and had children : 1. Martha Bartlet ; 2. Mary Jane Bartlet; 3. Eliza Anne Bartlet ; 4. Hudson Bartlet who died young.
2. Daniel, who married Eliza Ellen Fisher, and had children : 1. Louisa Catherine ; 2. Jotham Osborn; 3. Peter Fisher ; 4. James Hamilton ; 5. Mary Helen.
3. Mary Jane mariied, 1st her cousin. Richard S. Ayers, son of Zebulon ; he died without children, and she married, 2d, Edward T. Judd, and had chldren : 1. Frances Judd ; 2. Richard W. Judd.
4. Stites married ______.
EZRA WILLCOX, (6th child of Daniel, son of John,) and Sarah Mizener had children :
1. Daniel, who married Abby Anne Douglas, grand daughter of William High.
2. Deborah Anne, who married Abraham Valentine, son of Peter D. Valentine. [See Valentine.]
Ezra Willcox, by his 2d wife, Rachel, had children:
3. Aaron D , who died 21st May, 1847, aged 20 years.
4. Jane ; 5. Patience ; 6. Fanny ; 7. Sarah ; 8. John ; 9. Benjamin.
MOSES WILLCOX, (6th child of John,) and Polly Line had children:
1. Phebe, who married John Pennington.
2. Abigail married Mr. Farringsworth, and went to Illinois.
3. Anne married Henry W. Tuttle, of Morris county.
4. Joseph married ______.
5. Isaac married Miss Bastido.
6. Moses, Jun.
7. Eliza married Mr. Brees.
8. Cornelia married Mr. Brees, brother of Eliza's husband.
Mr. Willcox died in the winter of 1850-1.
STEPHEN WILLCOX, (4th son of Peter Willcockse,) and Polly Carter had children :
1. James, who married Betsey Jewel.
3. Phebe married Abraham Mann.
CAPT. DANIEL S. WOOD
CAPT. DANIEL S. WOOD came from Long Island to Passaic Valley, about the year 1754, and learned the blacksmith trade, with a Mr. Moore. Mr Wood. when he became of age, bought the farm of Mr. Moore, and set up the business himself, and lived on the farm till his death, which occurred the 8th February, 1832, aged 91 years. The farm is part of lot. No. 20 of the Elizabethtown lots, surveyed in 1736-7, above the first mountain. He married Mary Potter, of Hanover, and had two children, who died young, and his wife died 18th February, 1768 ; he then married Sarah Johnson, sister of Uzel Johnson ; she died 12th April, 1806, in her 56th year. They had children :
1. John, who was baptized, 27th April, 1772, and died young.
2. Sally, who married, 19th December, 1790, Daniel Meeker, son of Isaiah. [See Meeker.]
3. Docia is unmarried.
4. Daniel Smith married Nancy Baldwin, daughter of Gabriel, and died 23d December, 1842.
5. Joseph, who was baptized 17th April, 1785, and died in infancy.
6. Samuel, who is unmarried.
7. Elizabeth A. married Capt. Stephen Day, son of Benjamin Day, Esq as his 2d wife. [See Day.]
8. Margaret Williston, who married the Rev. Waters Burrows, son of Waters Burrows. [see Burrows]
9. David married Sarah Bonsal, of Spring Valley, Morris county ; he is a grocer in Newark, and has children : 1. Mary E. ; 2. Samuel W.; 3. Mariah H. ; 4. Francis P. Wood.
DANIEL S. WODD, Jun. (son of Capt. Daniel S. Wood,) and Nancy Baldwin, had children :
1. Docia, who married David Smalley, son of Samuel, and removed to Ohio.
2. Rachel married Major William M. Clark, son of D. S. Clark Esq. [See Clark.]
3. Lillis married Judah Phelps, of Connecticut; he died leaving children : 1. Lemuel Cicero Phelps. 2. Harriet Eliza Phelps, who married, 10th April, 1850, George Rawden, of Newark. 3. William Phelps ; 4. Franklin Phelps. The family live in Newark.
4. Sally married Major William M. Clark, as his 2d wife. [See Clark.]
5. David Jones married Rhoda Brookfield, daughter of Job, of Spring Valley, and removed to New York, near Lake Ontario, and had children : 1. Georgiana, 2. Smith Halsey, who both died young. 3. Georgiana 4. David Franklin.
6. Daniel Halsey, born 19[?]th September, 1809, and married Hannah Bell Lippencott, born 2d September, 1823, daughter of William Lippencott, of Allegany county, New York, and have children 1. Theodore Bell, born 11th August, 1841.
2. Daniel S., born 21st September, 1843.
7. Hannah married Asa Osborn, son of Nehemiah, and has an only daughter, Anne Eliza, who married, 24th September, 1850, Philemon Tomkins, son of Ashbel A. Tomkins. [See Tomkins.]
8. Mary married Robert T. Wilson, Esq., grand-son of Levi Willcox. [See Willcox.] She died 14th February, 1842, leaving a daughter, Mary, who died in infancy.
9. Margaret married David A. French, son of Willis. [See French.]
10. Isaac L., born 10th August, 1521, married, 13th February, 1847, Sally Doty Bonnel, born 13th September, 1831, daughter of Philemon, and had children : 1. John Bonnel Wood, born 19th December, 1848.
11. Samuel is unmarried.
12. John, born 25th September, 1818, married, 27th October, 1846. Charlotte A. Torboss, born 6th June, 1831, daugher of Peter Torboss, of Union Village, and had children : 1. Mary Eliza, who died at 2 months ; 2. Peter Torboss, born 9th June, 1850.