Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
TODD to TUCKER
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
ALEXANDER TODD lived near Liberty Corner, and had children : David and James Todd.
James Todd, who married, 23d March, 1784, Jane Martin, daughter of Alexander Martin, of Long Hill, [see Martin], and had children :
1. Alexander, who died suddenly, 6th May, 1849, aged 64 years, unmarried.
2. William married Catherine Hand, daughter of Jonathan, of Basking Ridge. [See Hand.]
3. Sally married John Norton, from Ireland, and had a son, Thomas Norton.
4. James Todd, Jun. is unmarried.
5. Anne married John Nesbitt, son of James, and had children : 1. Augustus Nesbitt ; 2. Andrew Jackson Nesbitt.
WILLIAM TODD, (son of James,) and Catherine Hand had children :
1. John, who married Elizabeth Pouleson, daughter of Cornelius.
2. Jane married Ellis D. Baldwin, son of David, [see Baldwin,] and had children : 1. David ; 2. Catherine ; 3. John ; 4. Emily Baldwin.
3. Sarah married George Bird, son of Isaac, of Mount Bethel.
4. Mary married James Waldron, son of John, of Washington Valley, and had children : 1. John ; 2. Catherine ; 3. Hester Sylvenia Waldron.
5. Sally married James Gibson, son of William ; lives in New York, and had children : 1. James Gibson ; 2. Sarah Gibson.
6. Jonathan married Hannah Vatican ; lives in the Beach Woods, Pennsylvania, and had a son : 1. Milton Ira.
7. William ; 8. Hugh ; 9. James.
JOSEPH TOMKINS married Martha Campbell, of Orange. They lived at Cauldwell, and had children :
1. Sarah, who died a young woman.
2. Hannah, who married, 25th Feb. 1809, Jacob Marcell, of Newark, and had children :
1. Benjamin Marcell ; 2. Alfred Marcell ; 3. David Marcell ; 4. Stephen Marcell ; they then removed to Illinois.
3. David Bonnel, who died unmarried, at about 35 years.
4. Nathaniel, who married Nancy Bedford, daughter of David, of Columbia, Morris county, and had children : 1. William Allen, who married Rebecca Vaughn, and had children : 1. Anne Bedford ; 2. Mary Elizabeth ; 3. John ; 4. Martha Jane. 2. David Bonnel, who went to Illinois, and died unmarried.
Joseph Tomkins married for his 2d wife, Jerusha, a widow, the daughter of David Bonnel, of Union, who removed to Passaic Valley, and had a son.
5. Ashbel Allen, born 22d Aug. 1806, and married, 11th June, 1823, Mary N. Bonnel, daughter of Philemon Bonnel, and had children : 1. Philemon Bonnel, born 19th April, 1829, and married Anne Eliza Osborn, daughter of Asa, 24th Sept. 1850. 2. Huldah Bonnel, born 5th June, 1837 ; 3. and 4. Martha Bonnel and Mary Esther, twins, born 22d April, 1841.
Mr. A. A. Tomkins lives in New Providence village; is engaged in blacksmithing.
Mr. Nathaniel Tomkins lived on Stony Hill, in Warren, where his wife died, and he and his son William and family, removed to Illinois.
Jerusha, the 2d wife of Joseph Tomkins, married, 1st, John Beach, [see Beach ;.] had 8 children, when he died, and she married, 2d, David Muchmore, of Livingston, by whom she had no children. She married, 3d, Joseph Tomkins, who died 23d Oct. 1832, at 75 years, and she was again left a widow ; and after several years she went with one of her sons to Lexington, Kentucky, where she. died 19th July, 1843, in the midst of her children.
JAMES TOTTEN was probably the son of Sylvanus Totten, who lived in this neighborhood in 1765. He lived on the north side of Long Hill, where Noah Williams lately lived ; he married Hester Propo, who died 7th June, 1773 ; he died 7th May, 1774 ; they had children :
1. Sarah, who married, 16th March, 1767, Moses Blancher.
2. David married, 25th January, 1775, Sarah Pierson.
3. John married Rhoda Marsh, of Rahway, sister of Daniel Marsh.
John Totten died 11th September, 1810, aged 56 years. Rhoda his widow died 20th January, 1835, aged 82 years.
DAVID TOTTEN, (son of James,) and Sarah Pierson lived in Sterling's Valley, and had children :
1. Mary, who married Israel Brant.
2. Elizabeth married Mr. Boylan.
3. John married Tempe Conklin, daughter of Joshua. [See Conklin.]
4. Joseph married, 17th June, 1820, Mariah Hathaway, of Morristown.
5 James married Sally Freeman, daughter of Philip.
6. Martha married John Robert Littell, son of Robert. [See Littell.]
7. Rachel married Amos Stevens, son of John. [See Stevens.]
JOHN TOTTEN, (son of David,) and Tempe Conklin, had children :
1. Betsey, who married John Putnam, son of Miles, live in Green Valley, near Plainfield, and had children : 1. Andrew Jackson Putnam ; 2. Miles Putnam ; 3. John Davis Putnam ; 4. Randolph Putnam ; 5. Lewis Craig Putnam, twin to Randolph ; 6. Mary Putnam ; 7. Harriet Putnam.
2. David married Mary Anne Thompson, daughter of Jane, daughter of Hezekiah Thompson, and had children: 1. Jane ; 2. Elias ; 3. David.
3. Anne married Samuel Pangborn, of Green Valley, and had children : 1. Eli Pangborn ; 2. Benjamin Pangborn ; 3. John Pangborn ; 4. Drake Pangborn ; 5. Mary Adeline Pangborn ; 6. Abel Stewart Pangborn.
4. James married Eliza Wood, daughter of Silas, of Logansville, and had children ; 1. Phebe ; 2. Mary Anne, 3. William ; 4. Abby ; 5. Ellen ; 6. Catherine Elizabeth ; 7. Carter ; 8. Fanny.
5. Abby married Abel Stewart, son of William D. Stewart, Esq. [See Stewart.]
6. Eunice married Alexander Cameron, son of Elisha, of Sterling's Valley.
7. Joshua married, 1st, Emeline Foster ; 2d, Caroline Spinning, daughter of John, of Elizabethtown, and had children: 1. Henry Francis ; 2. John Spinning Totten.
8. Cornelius married Martha Jones, daughter of Thomas D. Jones, and had children: 1. Georgiana ; 2. a daughter, who died young.
JAMES TOTTEN. (son of David,) and Sally Freeman, had children:
1. Nancy, who married William Ayers, son of David, of Union, and had children : 1. Lewis Ayers, born 1835 ; 2. Mary Jane Ayers, born 1838.
2. Silas married Adeline Mc Cormic.
3. Freeman married Jane Whitenack, and had children : 1. Eugene ; 2 Sarah Elizabeth ; 3. Thomas ; 4. Linus.
4. Linus, who died at about 17 years.
5. Jane married William Fulkerson.
6. William married Eliza Squier, daughter of John.
7. Hervey ; 8. George Washington, 9. John Henry, twins. 10. Jackson.
JOHN TOTTEN, (son of James 1st,) and Rhoda Marsh, lived in Passaic Valley. and had children:
1. Benjamin, who died in infancy.
2. Betsey, born 1785, and married 29th March, 1798, Joshua Kindall, son of Job Kindall, of Burlington county, and had children :
1. John Marsh Kindall, who married, 8th March, 1838, Nancy Ludlow, daughter of Joseph, and had children: 1. Joshua ; 2. Hannah Ludlow ; 3. John Ludlow. 4. Sarah Anne.
2. Anne Doty Kindall married Ezra Wooden, son of Gideon, of Green Valley, and had children : 1. Elizabeth Wooden ; 2. William Wooden ; 3. Sarah Wooden ; 4. Mariah Wooden ; 5. Ludlow Wooden; 6. Martin Wooden ; 7. Susan Wooden.
3. Margaret Kindall.
4. William Kindall, born 1823, has a daughter Frances, born March, 1843.
5. Elihu Kindall, who died of cholera, 10th July, 1849.
6. Eliza Kindall ; 7. Mariah Kindall.
Mr. Joshua Kindall died 6th December, 1831, aged 51 yrs.
SAMUEL TOTTEN, (brother of James Totten 1st) lived a little south of the corner store south of the church, and kept a tavern there. He died 25th June, 1775 ; his widow died 17th March, 1790 ; they had children :
1. Samuel Totten, Jun. who married 9th June, 1785, Martha Tuttle.
2. Martha married, 31st July, 1788, Joseph Day, [See Day.]
3 Jonathan married, 15th October, 1792, Esther Wood, daughter of Jeremiah Wood.
Mr. Jonathan Totten died 24th February, 1837 aged 68 years.
JONATHAN TOTTEN, (son of Samuel,) and Esther Wood, had children :
1. Jane, who married John McClasky Schureman, son of John, and had children : 1. Jonathan Schureman, who married Keziah; 2. Samuel Schureman married Cornelia Dickerson, daughter of Philemon ; 3. Henrietta.
Jane then died, and Mr. Schureman married again, Mrs. Melick, who had a son, Abraham Melick, who married Eliza Schureman, daughter of Samuel Schureman, brother of John McClasky. By this 2d wife, J. McC. Schureman had a son, Leonard Schureman, who is a stone cutter, in Morristown.
2. Nancy, who married Jacob Nixon, and had children : 1. Parnelia Nixon, who married Mr. Dunn ; lives in Morristown, and keeps a large milliners' shop. 2. Harriet Jane Nixon married Aaron Hedden, son of Thomas.
3. Jeremiah married Hannah Price, daughter of Rice Price : live in Roxbury, Morris county.
4. Betsey, who lived in New York, and died 31st Jan. 1852, unmarried.
5. Esther. who married Ezra Williams, son of Noah ; lives in New York, and have no children.
6. Abraham Morrel, who died 20th Dec. 1827, aged 27 years.
7. Joseph Wood married, 31st July 1823, Jemima Douglas, daughter of Jesse V. Douglas, of Springfield.
JEREMIAH TOTTEN, (son of Jonathan,) and Hannah Price, had children :
1. Samuel, who married Sarah Anne Osborn, daughter of John, and had children : 1. John Osborn, and others.
2. Jonathan, born 1st Sept. 1821, married, 22d July 1843, Mariah Schureman, daughter of Samuel, have no children. [See Scudder.]
3. William ; 4. Jane ; 5. Benjamin ; 6. Abigail; 7 Agnes. 8. Hannah ; 9. Anne ; 10. Edwin.
JOSEPH W. TOTTEN, (son of Jonathan,) and Jemima Douglas, had children :
1. Abraham Morrel.
2. William Pierson.
3. Mary Elizabeth.
4. Hetty Mariah, who married ______, and died at 19 years.
5. Charles Jackson ; 6. John ; 7. Jonathan.
BENONI TREMBLY lived on lot No. 61 of the Elizabethtown lots south of Aaron M. Ludlow's house. He was a wagon maker, was an elder in the New Providence church, and had children:
1. Benjamin, baptized 19th June, 1763.
2. Jonathan, baptized 16th December, 1764.
3. Abraham, baptized 15th August, 1766.
4. Becca, baptized 14th October, 1770.
I have not learned from whence he came, nor who were his family connections. He died 6th October, 1788.
JOHN TOWNLEY, Esq. was born in England, in the year 1400.
Nicholas Townley, the third son of John Townley, Esq. lived in the county of Palatine, of Lancaster. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Catteral, Esq. of Catteral, relict of William Tempest, son of Roger Tempest, Esq. Lord of the Manor of Broughton.
Richard Townley, Esq. son of Nicholas Townley, was reader of Grays Inn, in the fourth year of the reign of Henry VIII. His wife was Margaret, the daughter of John Clark, of Wazley, by which marriage royalty came into the Townley family.
Nicholas Townley, Esq. of Royall, county of Palatine, was son and heir of Richard Townley. He married Anne, daughter of Sir Hugh Vaughan, of Littleton Place, Middlesex, Privy Councillor of Henry VII and VIII.
Francis Townley, 3d son of Nicholas Townley, was of Littleton Place, being left heir of his great uncle, Francis Vaughan, Esq. He married Catherine, daughter of Thomas Foster, Knight, one of the Justices of the Court of Common Pleas at Westminster, in the reign of James 1st.
Nicholas Townley, Esq. of Littleton, son of Francis Townley, died June 3d, 1687. He married Joanna, daughter of William White, Esq. of Northaim, county of Sussex, and squandered his fortune.
Col. Richard Townley, 8th son of Richard Townley, went to America in the suite of Lord Effingham Howard, governor of Virginia, in the year 1683. He settled in Elizabethtown, New Jersey.
The foregoing account of the Townley family was sent to this country in 1769, by Charles Townley Clarence, of London, Knight York Herald and King of Arms.
Col. Richard Townley was one of the Privy Council of deputy governor Lord Neil Campbell, in 1686.
He left two sons, Charles and Effingham Townley.
CHARLES TOWNLEY, Esq. (son of Col. Richard Townley,) was born 1686, and died, 2d September, 1756, in his 70th year. Abigail, his widow, died 31st December, 1759. They were both buried in St John's church yard, in Elizabethtown ; they had children :
1. Effingham, who married Miss Rebecca Crane ; he was born about 1710, married in 1735, and died about 1789.
2. Sarah or Abigail, who married John Herriman ; their only daughter married Moses Hetfield.
3. Mary married Stephen Burrows ; their only daughter married Anthony Morss.
4. Anne married Joseph Tooker, and had four sons, Charles, Joseph, Abner, and John Tooker.
5. Elizabeth married, 27th August, 1760, Caleb Crane, and left children : 1. Nathaniel Crane, who married Sally Miller, daughter of Moses. [See Crane.] 2. Abby, who married Amos Clark.
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, (son of Charles,) and Rebecca Crane had children :
1. Richard, who was born 22d or 27th August, 1736, and died 4th August, 1801 ; he married 1st, Rachel Carpenter, born 15th December, 1733, and died 1764 ; 2d, Rhoda Clark, born 4th December, 1743, and died 21st July, 1823.
2. Catherine married Joseph Denman, of Springfield.
3. Joanna, who died in infancy.
4. Abigail married Mr. Pendergrass, of Philadelphia.
5. Peggy married Stephen Baker, and died in 1802.
6. George, who died in infancy.
7. Sarah married John Sayre, son of Joseph Sayre, of Elizabethtown, and died in 1815.
8. Mary married Jeremiah Jaggers.
9. Charles married. 1st, Hannah Thompson, and died in 1802 ; 2d, Sarah Thompson, the widow of Moses Earl ; 3d, -, the widow of Timothy Miller.
10. George 2d married Martha Baldwin, daughter of Capt. Enos Baldwin.
11. Joanna 2d married John Donahoe, of Philadelphia, and died in 1804.
12. John married Phebe Bonnel, and died in 1801.
13. Jane married Daniel Osborn.
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (1st son of Effingham, son of Charles) and Rachel Carpenter, had children:
1. James, born 29th June, 1760, and was killed with a scythe, in 1772.
2. Rachel, born 12th December, 1763, married Henry Norris, and died 16th November, 1824 ; she had three children, who all died young.
Richard Townley by his 2d wife, Rhoda Clark, had children :
3. Jonathan, born 13th October, 1766, married, 11th December, 1787, Phebe Magie, daughter of John.
4. Phebe, born 20th October, 1768, married 28th January, 1788, Elder David Magie, son of John.
5. Clark, born 26th November, 1770, married 1st, Phebe Sale, daughter of Daniel Sale, Sen. ; 2d, Emily Potter, daughter of Matthias Potter.
6. Rebecca, born 22d May, 1772, married Benjamin Haines, of Elizabethtown.
7. Rhoda, born 12th April, 1774, and died in 1776.
8. Sarah, born 26th October, 1776, married William Crane, Esq. son of Joseph. [See Crane.]
9. Elizabeth, born 22d August, 1780, married Jonathan M., Meeker, Esq. son of Isaiah Meeker, of New Providence, and had no children.
JONATHAN TOWNLEY, (3d child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles,) and Phebe Magie were married 11th December, 1787 ; he died 29th September, 1827 ; they had children:
1. Richard, who married Hannah Wade, daughter of Jonas Wade, Esq. of Springfield.
2. Jonathan, Jun. married his cousin Rhoda Magie, daughter of elder David Magie, of Elizabethtown, and had no children.
3. Phebe, twin to Jonathan, married Col. William Brown, of Elizabethtown.
4. Mary married Samuel Pierson, son of Deacon Pierson, of Union.
5. John married Eveline Nutman, daughter of Daniel, of Elizabethtown.
6. Rebecca married Ichabod Ogden, son of Ezekiel, of Elizabethtown, and had children: 1. Jonathan Townley Ogden; 2. John Joseph Ogden. 3. James Hervey Ogden; 4. Robert Townley Ogden. 5. Phebe Rebecca Ogden.
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (son of Jonathan,) and Hannah Wade, had children:
1. Robert, who married Miss Baldwin, daughter of Johnson Baldwin.
2. Jonas Wade.
3. Phebe 0. married, 20th November, 1851, Henry Meeker.
4. Harriet married Alexander Ball, son of David, of Newark.
6. Richard, who died in February, 1848, aged about 16 years.
NOTEóRobert, Jonas, and James went to Fort Wayne, in Indiana, and are merchants there.
PHEBE TOWNLEY, (4th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles,) and Elder David Magie had children :
1. Rhoda Magie, who married her cousin Jonathan Townley, Jun. [See Townley]
2. David Magie married, 1st, Margaret Van Vechten, of Somerville, and had children : 1. Elizabeth Magie, who died at 18 months ; 2. Phebe Magie.
His wile then died; and he married, 2d, Gertrude Frelinghuysen, daughter of General John Frelinghuysen, of Somerville, she died without children, and he married, 3d, Margaret Delneau, and had children : 3. Gertrude Frelinghuysen Magie ; 4. David Magie.
3. Betsey Magie.
4. Phebe Ogden Magie married Lewis F. Day, son of Foster Day, of Elizabethtown, and had children : 1. David Magie Day ; 2. Eliza Bonnel Day.
5. Mary Meeker Magie married Rev. Joseph Cory, son of Mulford, son of Elder Benjamin Cory, of Elizabethtown ; he is a presbyterian minister, settled in New Vernon ; they had children, David Magic Cory, and others.
CLARK TOWNLEY, (5th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles.) and Phebe Sale, had children :
1. Susan, who married Robert Meeker.
2. Daniel married Sarah Headley.
3. Richard ; 4. Edward ; 5. Mary.
And by his 2d wife, Emily Potter, had other children :
6. Jonathan ; 7. Sally Anne.
REBECCA TOWNLEY, (6th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Benjamin Haines had but one son, Richard T. Haines, who married Mariah Johnson, daughter of John Johnson, grocer, of New York ; lived in Elizabethtown, and had children :
1. William A. Haines, who married Miss. Stagg.
2. Benjamin Haines. 3. Elizabeth Haines.
4. Sarah Halsted Haines married, 22d May, 1850, Samuel Knox, of New York.
5. John Johnson Haines.
6 Mary L. Haines married, 20th February, 1851, her cousin William M. Halsted, Jun., son of William M. Halsted, merchant, New York.
7. Stewart Haines.
SARAH TOWNLEY, (8th child of Richard, son of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and William Crane, Esq. had children :
1. David R. Crane, who married Phebe Anne Hallam, daughter of Lewis, of New York.
2. Agnes Crane married Rev. Curtis Tally, a methodist minister, and had a daughter, Helen Williams Tally.
3. Richard T. Crane married Jane T. Dollbeer, of Union, and had children : 1. Theodore T. 2. Frederick T.
4. Joseph W. Crane married 1st, Harriet J. Willcox, daughter of Ezekiel, and had a daughter, Harriet Jemima Crane ; his wile died, and he married 2d, Emma S. Brookfield, daughter of Lewis P. Brookfield, of Spring Valley, and had children : 2. Lewis W. Crane ; 3. Charles Augustus Crane.
5. Jonathan T. Crane, who graduated at Princeton college, and became a methodist minister, is principal of the Pennington male seminary, at Pennington, N. J. He married Mary Helen Peck, daughter of George Peck, D. D. of New York, and had children :
1. Mary Helen Peck, and others.
SARAH TOWNLEY, (7th child of Effingham, son of Charles,) and John Sayre had children:
1. Samuel Sayre, who married Polly Parker.
2. Joseph Sayre married Betsey Alesworth.
3. John Sayre married Mary Jewel.
4. Job Sayre, who died in infancy.
5. Ezekiel Sayre married Sally Bonnel, daughter of John, near Chatham. [See Bonnel.]
6. Abigail Sayre married William Reid.
7. Nathan Sayre married Abigail Southwell.
SAMUEL SAYRE, (1st son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and Polly Parker had children :
1. Joanna Sayre, who married Daniel Pierson, of Newark, and had an only daughter, who married and lives in New York.
2. Job Sayre married Phebe Crane have no children.
3. Sally Sayre married Aaron Crane, and has one son.
4. Polly Sayre married Granville Tower. and had children : 1. Job S. Tower, who married Miss Crane : lives in Elizabethtown, and had two children. 2. Ezra Tower, who married in Morris county, and has several children. 5. Joseph Sayre, who married in Cincinnati ; lives there, and has several children. 6. Nathan Sayre, who married a Mrs. Watkins, formerly Miss Gillam ; has four children, all married, and live in N. Y. 7. John Sayre, who died unmarried. 8. Phebe Sayre married Benjamin Coe : lives in Connecticut, and has many children.
JOSEPH SAYRE, (2d son of John Sayre, and Sarah Townley) and Betsey Alesworth had 8 children, only one of whom is living, Samuel Sayre, who married Elizabeth Telfair, and had 7 children.
JOHN SAYRE, (3d son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley) and Mary Jewel had ten children, only two of them are living :
1. James Hervey Sayre, who married Hannah Williams, and have 5 children.
2. Walter F. Sayre, who married Rachel Luster, and had 3 daughters.
EZKEIEL SAYRE, (5th son of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and Sally Bonnel had children:
1. Electa Sayre, who married Stephen Bowers, son of Daniel.
2. Catherine Sayre, who died at about 35 years, unmarried.
3. David Sayre married Mary Spencer, daughter of Samuel, son of William Spencer, Esq.
4 John Edgar Sayre.
5. Lewis Sayre.
ABIGAIL SAYRE, (6th child of John Sayre and Sarah Townley,) and William Reid had children :
1. Margaret Reid, who married William Bonnel, of Union, and had several children.
2. Isabella Reid, who married Joel Searing.
3. John Joseph Reid.
4. Sarah Reid.
NATHAN SAYRE, (7th child of John Sayre, and Sarah Townley.) and Abigail Southwell lived in Elizabethtown, and had children :
1. Joanna, who married Wickliff G. Broadwell, son of Jacob G. Broadwell, son of Hezekiah. [See Broadwell] They have no children.
2. George T. Sayre married Eliza Bonnel, daughter of Sylvanus, son of John. He is a merchant of Madison, Morris county ; has two children.
3. Sally Sayre. 4. Caroline Sayre.
5. Edward Sayre married Miss Rosette ; had one child. His wife died, and he went to Illinois, and married again, and has other children.
6. Jane Sayre.
7. Francis Sayre married Susan Price, daughter of Edward, of Elizabethtown.
8. Albert Sayre married a Miss Sayre, of Newark, and lives there.
CHARLES TOWNLEY, (9th child of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Hannah Thompson had but one son:
1. Stephen, who married Elizabeth Bryant, daughter of Simeon Bryant, of Springfield.
And by his 2d wife. Sarah Thompson, had children:
2. Rebecca, who married Jacob Denman, son of Jacob, of Springfield.
3. Moses married Jane Lum, daughter of Clark Lum, of Union.
And by his 3d wife, Mrs. Miller. had children :
4. Charles, who went to Washington, and married and died there.
5. George, who went away and has not returned.
6. Fanny married William Sanders, and lives at Mendham.
STEPHEN TOWNLEY, (1st son of Charles,) and Elizabeth Bryant had children :
1. William, who became a Presbyterian minister. He married Eliza Barton, daughter of John Barton, of Elizabethtown, and sister of the Rev. William B. Barton, of Woodbridge ; Is settled in Indiana, and has no children.
2. Charles, who died at about 20 or 21 years.
GEORGE TOWNLEY, (10th child of Effingham, son of Charles Townley,) and Martha Baldwin, removed from Connecticut Farms, in March, 1797, and bought of Thomas Scudder, a farm of 100 acres, near Union Village, in Passaic Valley, where they lived and died.
He was born 20th June, 1755, and died 28th September, 1840 She was born 30th November, 1755, and died 22d May, 1810, and Mr. Townley married, 2d, Elizabeth. the widow of Samuel Cory, and daughter of Williiam Parsons. She died 6th May, 1847, without children. [See Parsons.] They had children :
1. Joanna. born 23d Nov. 1774, and married Samuel Headley, of Union.
2. David, born 29th March, 1777, married, 1st, Mary Tucker, daughter of James Tucker, 2d, Mary Marsh, daughter of Joseph Marsh, of Morristown.
3. George, who died 30th March, 1808, aged 24 years.
4. Effingham, who died 26th July, 1807, aged 21 years.
5. Phebe. born 14th January, 1789, married, 30th June, 1808, David Jaques. of New York.
6. Martha, who died 25th April, 1812, at 18 years of age, unmarried.
7. Enos Baldwin, who married, first, Sally Bonnel, daughter of Bellows Ben. Bonnel ; second, Abigail Deforest, of Connecticut. [See Bonnel.]
JOANNA TOWNLEY, (1st child of George,) and Samuel Headley, had children :
1. Phebe Headley married Richard Merrel, and had no children.
2. Hannah Headley married William S. Headley, son of Cary Headley, and had children:
1. Joanna Headley, who married William S. Burnet, son of Capt. Jonathan Burnet. and had children: 1. Mary Burnet ; 2. Martha Burnet 3. Levi Burnet.
2. Phebe Headley married Silas Burnet, brother of William S., and had children : 1. Roxanna Burnet ; and others.
3. Caroline Headley.
4. John Headley married Sarah Courter, daughter of John E. Courter.
5. Jane Headley married George Baker, of Hempstead, Long Island.
6. Wicklyff Headley.
3. Samuel Headley died a young man, unmarried.
4. Martha Headley married Caleb Miller, son of Nathaniel, and had children ; 1. Isaac S. Miller, who married and lives in Newark. 2. Davis Miller married and lives in Newark. 3. Anne Miller.
5. George I. Headley died a young man, unmarried.
6. Davis Headley married Susan Ball, daughter of Ezekiel, son of Timothy, and had children : 1. Sears Headley ; 2. Wheeler Headley ; 3. Andrew Headley ; 4. Olivia Headley ; 5. Laura Headley.
7. Mary Headley married Ewel Freeman, of Westfield, and died soon after, aged 18 years, without children.
DAVID TOWNLEY, (2d child of George,) and his first wife, Mary Tucker, had children :
1. Mary, who died a young woman, unmarried.
2. Martha married Squier Parrot, son of William. [See Parrot] And by his second wife, Mary Marsh. had a son.
3. George. who married Mary Stuchfield, an English girl, and lives in New York.
PHEBE TOWNLEY, (5th child of George,) and David Jaques, lived in New York, and had children:
1. William Jaques.
2. Phebe Jaques, who married John W. Lewis, and had children : 1. Charlotte Augusta Lewis ; 2. Philo Lewis ; 3. Francis Lewis ; 4. Edward Lewis.
ENOS B. TOWNLEY, (7th child of George,) and Sally Bound, had children :
1. Joanna, who married Mr. Noe, went to Ohio, and died.
2. David E., born 5th April, 1815, who married Hannah Eliza Mulford, born 5th January, 1812, daughter of William, and had children : 1. Sarah Elizabeth, born 10th July, 1840 ; 2. Hannah Jane, who died at 4 years ; 3., Laura, born 30th March, 1846 ; 4. Phebe Jaques Floride, born 9th October, 1848 ; 5. Isabel.
3. Hannah Marian married Jacob Jeroloman, of Newark.
4. Effingham married Mary Elizabeth Squier, daughter of Thomas, son of Stephen Squier, and had children : 1. Emily Parsons; 2. Montery Tailor ; 3. Helen Flora.
5. Elizabeth married William Stevens, above Morristown.
6. Enos married Jane Wilson, of New York.
Enos B. Townley, by his 2d wife, Abigail Deforest, had children :
7. Mary ; 8. Moses B. ; 9. Susan ; 10. Martha ; 11. George ; 12. Joanna 2d.
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, (son of Col. Richard Townley,) left two sons :
1. Richard ; 2. Effingham, Jun.
RICHARD TOWNLEY, (son of Effingham,) was born 18th December, 1720, and married Catherine Anderson, 14th April, 1747, and had children :
1. William, born 21st January, 1748, died 2d May, 1749.
2. William 2d, born 15th May, 1750.
3. Rebecca, born 13th July, 1751, and died 13th Aug. 1751.
4. Walter, born 23th June, 1752.
5. Rebecca 2d, born 11th August. 1754.
6. Sarah, born 10th January, 1757.
7. Effingham, born 1st August, 1759.
EFFINGHAM TOWNLEY, JUN., (son of Effingham.) was born 11th December, 1729, and married in 1753, Jemima Earl, and had children:
1. Evetts, born 8th August, 1751.
2. Henry, born 1st February, 1754.
3. Joshua, born 24th August, 1757.
4. James, born 7th July, 1760.
5. Charles, born 30th March, 1762.
6. Richard, born 31st January, 1764.
7. John, born 9th September, 1766.
EVETTS TOWNLEY, (1st son of Effingham, Jun.,) had a son Isaac, who had a son Clark, whose wife was Rachel, and lived near Jeffersons Village, and had children :
1. Margaret, born 1826.
2. Ezra, born 1830.
3. George, born 1834.
JAMES TOWNLEY, (4th son of Effingham Townley, Jun ,) had children :
1. Matthias married, 1st, Nancy Searing, daughter of John, of Union ; 2d, Johannah Smith, daughter of Walter, of Springfield.
2. Edward married, 1st, Miss Burrows ; 2d, Abigail Price.
3. William married _____.
4. Else married Cornelius Badgley.
5. Sally married William Higgins.
MATTHIAS TOWNLEY, (1st son of James,) and Nancy Searing had children :
1. William, born 17th Dec 1775, married Margaret Tucker, daughter of Jacob, born 30th Oct. 1780.
2. Sally, who died unmarried.
3. Nancy married Ephraim Rino, of Short Hills.
4. Betsey married Elias Morgan, of Elizabethtown.
5. Sarah married David Allen, son of David. [See Allen.]
6. Edward married Anna Hamilton, daughter of David.
Matthias Townley, by his 2d wife, Johannah Smith, had children :
7. Isaac married Mary Collins.
8. Keziah married Mr. Evans, of Newark.
9. John Clark, who died at 25 years, unmarried.
10. Abby married Daniel Clark, son of Ichabod.
11. Smith, who did not marry.
WILLIAM TOWNLEY, (son of Matthias,) and Margaret Tucker had children:
1. Matthias, born 20th Jan. 1798, married Hannah Smalley, daughter of David I., and had four children : 1. William ; 2. David ; 3. Huldah ; 4. Harriet.
2. Alfred married Mary, widow of Cornelius Frazee, and daughter of John Tilyou ; had no children.
3. Sally, who died Dec. 1st 1805, aged 3 1/2 years.
4. Piatt, born 6th May, 1804, married Sophia Mollidore, of Philadelphia, and had children: 1. Margaret ; 2. Hannah : 3. George ; 4. Susan ; 5. Alonzo.
5. David, born 12th Oct. 1806, married Susan Clark, daughter of Stephen, of Westfield.
6. Sarah, born 12th Nov. 1808, married John McIntire, son of James, of New Brunswick, and had children : 1. William McIntire ; 2. Ellen McIntire ; 3. John Henry McIntire ; 4. James McIntire.
7. Alexander, born 11th May, 1811, married Mary Samos, daughter of Charles, of Dover, Morris county, and had children : 1. William ; 2. Anne ; and died at about 24 years.
8. Amos, born 8th Aug. 1813, married Mary Tunison, near Somerville, and had a daughter, Mary.
9. William Mills, born 24th Jan. 1816, married his cousin, Joanna, daughter of Edward Townley, and had a son, George. His wife, Joannah, died and he married, 2d, Martha Scudder, daughter of Abraham, and had a son, Silas Crane.
10. Anne, born 28th Jan. 1818, married Josiah G. Winn, from Connecticut, and had children : 1. Isaac Newton Winn ; 2. Susan Emeline Winn ; 3. Mary Elizabeth Winn ; 4. Matilda Fairchild Winn ; 5. Ellen Mansville Winn ; 6. George Henry Winn.
11. Hannah, born 9th March, 1820, married Thomas Seaman, son of Joshua, and had children : 1. Thomas Jefferson Seaman ; 2. Margaret Anne Seaman ; 3. Hannah Mariah Seaman ; 4. Stephen Franklin Seaman ; 5. Harriet Newe Seaman.
EDWARD TOWNLEY, (6th child of Matthias.) son of James, and Anna Hamilton lived in Westfield, and had children :
1. John Hamilton Townley, who became a Presbyterian Minister ; settled in Morristown. He married Cornelia Searing;, daughter of James Searing, of Newark.
2. Joanna, who married her cousin William Townley, son of William.
3. David, who died at the age of 24 years.
4. Anne Elizabeth married Lewis Bunn.
5. William, who died 20th Dec. 1848, aged 23 years.
6. Israel married Mary Whitehead, daughter of Enos Littell Whitehead, of Elizabethtown.
8. Mary Louisa.
10. Almira, who died at 4 years.
11. Gertrude, who died at 2 years.
WARNER TUCKER married Elizabeth Lambert, sister of James Lambert ; lived in Westfield, and had children :
1. Jacob, who married Hannah Lines, daughter of Henry, and lived on the north side of the first mountain, above the Scotch Plains.
2. Ephraim married, first, Sarah Miller, of Westfield ; 2d, Rhoda, the widow of Ephraim Valentine, and sister of Abraham Price.
3. Samuel married, first, Patty Tucker, daughter of John, of Stony Hill Valley. His 2d wife, I have not learned her name. His 3d wife was Rachel, the widow of Isaac Clark, and daughter of John Osborn. [See Osborn.]
4. Isaac married Joanna Cory, sister of Parkhurst Cory, of Warren Township.
5. Moses married Mary Masters, daughter of Gideon, on the first Mountain.
6. Mary married Moses Masters, son of Gideon, above named. The two latter removed to Ohio.
JACOB TUCKER, (son of Warner,) and Hannah Lines had children :
1. Abner, who married Jemima Frazee, daughter of Asa, of Stony Hill Valley.
2. Alfred. He with Abner, enlisted in the army, and did not return.
3 Nancy married David I. Smalley, son of James. [See Smalley]
4. Margaret married William Townley, son of Matthias. [See Townley.]
5. Samuel married Polly Tucker, his cousin, daughter of Ephraim; had a daughter, Rhoda, and then removed to Indiana.
6 Jacob married Polly Soper, of Pennsylvania, and had children, Jacob 3d, Benjamin, and Harriet.
EPHRAIM TUCKER, (son of Warner,) by his first wife, Sarah Miller, had children :
1. Hannah, who married John Miller, son of William, of Westfield.
2. Ephraim, Jun. married Phebe Hand, daughter of Daniel, on the first mountain, whose wife was sister of Master William Cole. [See Cole.]
3. Sally married Benjamin Tucker, son of James, (no relation.)
And by his 2d wife Rhoda, Ephrialn Tucker had children :
4. Polly. who married her cousin Samuel, son of Jacob.
SAMUEL TUCKER, (son of Warner,) and Patty Tucker, his first wife, had children :
1, Sally, who married Jonathan Parker, son of Judah, and had children : 1. Allen Parker ; 2. Samuel Parker ; 3. Judah Parker ; 4. Harriet Parker, who married Perry Sutton 5. Patty Parker.
2. Nancy, who married Joseph Brooks, and had a son, Samuel Brooks.
3. Chloe married John Moore, son of Isaac, and went to Cincinnati. [See Moore.]
4. Polly married Samuel Parker, brother of Jonathan And by his 2d wife, had a son.
By his 3d wife, Rachel, he had no children.
ISAAC TUCKER, (son of Warner,) and Joanna Cory, had children :
1. Polly, who married in Ohio, Mr. Enochs.
2. Hannah, who married in Ohio.
Isaac Tucker then died, and his widow married David Woodruff, and went to Ohio, and took her children with her.
I know of no relation between Warner Tucker and John Tucker.
JOHN TUCKER married Catherine Line. He lived on Stoney Hill Valley, and had children :
1. Henry, who married Polly McDaniels, and went to Ohio.
2. Mary married 7th January, 1790, Job Camp, son of Aaron, and went to Ohio. [See Camp.]
3. Susannah married Cornelius Littell, son of Jonathan, and went to Ohio. [See Littell.]
4. Nancy married Joseph Morse, and removed to Ohio, in 1795.
5. Chloe married William Ryan, 17th December, 1786, and went to Ohio.
6. Moses married 27th April, 1791, Betsey Lyon, daughter of Ebenezer, and died 24th August, 1837.
7. Joseph married 30th March, 1791, Deborah Line, daughter of Joseph, she was born 22d March, 1777.
8. Elizabeth married John Tilyou, son of Vincent. [See Tilyou.]
9. John married Betsey Stewart, daughter of Joseph, and had no children.
10. Rebecca married Jacob Binge, and went to Ohio,
11. Patty married Samuel Tucker, son of Warner. [See Warner Tucker.]
HENRY TUCKER, (1st child of John Tucker,) and Polly Mc Daniels, removed to Hamilton county, Ohio, about 1793. He was born 30th June, 1760. She was born 3d December, 1760, married 17th December, 1780, and had childrn :
1. Elizabeth, born 11th September, 1782, and married Daniel Voorhies, son of Daniel. He was born 25th December, 1776 Elizabeth Voorhies died 11th June, 1849.
2. Sarah, born 17th Jan. 1785, married Oliver Voorhies, born 28th October, 1778 a brother of Daniel.
3. Catherine, born 30th December, 1786, married Providence White, son of Capt Jacob White, of White's Station.
4. Mary, born 10th January, 1788, married, November, 1809, Nathan Smith, son of John, of Indiana.
5. Abigail, born 1st May, 1789, married Abraham Skillman, son of Jacob, of Springdale, near her father's farm.
6. Nancy, born 24th August, 1792, married Jacob Voorhies, son of Cornelius, a brother of Daniel and Oliver.
7. Henry, Jun., born 18th March, 1794, died 29th May, 1814, unmarried.
8. Fanny, born 28th March, 1797, married Arthur S. Sorter, born 3d March, 1793, son of Thomas.
9. Charlotte, born 4th March, 1799, married Jacob A. Riddle, son of John.
10. Manning Randolph, born 14th September, 1801, married Rebecca Perlee, born 21st Feb. 1800, daughter of Peter Perlee ; they were married 5th May, 1824, and lived on his father's homestead farm of 253 acres, in the valley below Springdale.
ELIZABETH TUCKER, (1st child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Daniel Voorhies, had children :
1. Clarissa Voorhies, born 3d September, 1801, and married Samuel Beaty.
2. Henry Voorhies, born 4th July, 1803, married Mary Brandenburg.
3. Sarah Voorhies, born 1st September, 1805, married Joseph Brandenburgh.
4. Alfred Voorhies, born 26th August, 1807, married Lucinda Snuck.
5. Elevesta Voorhies, born 23d October, 1809, died 11th July, 1810.
6. Eliza Voorhies, born 9th August, 1811, married Joshua Thomas.
7. Mary Voorhies, born 23d August, 1813, married Isaac Littell.
8. Catherine Voorhies, born 10th August, 1815, died 31st December, 1833.
9. Caroline Voorhies, born 14th Aug. 1817, married David Stitt.
10. Charlotte Voorhies, born 14th March, 1820, died 24th May, 1822.
11. Manning Voorhies, born 14th March, 1820, married Rachel Shepherd.
12. Rebecca Voorhies, born 3d February, 1828.
SARAH TUCKER. (2d child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Oliver Voorhies, had children :
1. Abigail Voorhies, born 1st Oct. 1802, married Samuel Sharp.
2. Mariah Voorhies, born 4th Aug. 1804, married William Cotton.
3. Nancy Voorhies, born 18th Jan. 1807, married John Cotton.
4. Tucker Voorhies, born 7th Sept. 1808, married Nancy Carter.
5. Wilson Voorhies, born 1st June, 1810, married _____.
6. Elizabeth Voorhies, born 9th April, 1811, married Elihu Lyons.
7. Newton Voorhies, born 23d Feb. 1813, married Sarah Cotton.
8. Catherine Voorhies, born., 30th August, 1817, married Richard Carter.
9. Smith Voorhies, born 26th Aug. 1819, married Rebecca Abrams.
10. Manning Voorhies, born 1st May, 1822, married Elizabeth Jennings.
11. Mason Voorhies, born 8th Dec. 1824, married Martha Jones.
12. Jahia Voorhies, born 20th Feb. 1827, married Sarah Clingham Smith.
13. Isabel Jane Voorhies, born 6th Feb. 1829, married Jacob Wilson.
CATHERINE TUCKER, (3d child of Henry, son of John.) and Providence White, had children:
1. Jacob White, who married Margaret Austin.
2. Eliza White married Robert McNeal.
3. Nancy White.
4. Providence White.
5. Sarah White married Abraham Sanborn.
6. William White married Jane Cosner.
7. Catherine White.
MARY TUCKER. (4th child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Nathan Smith, had children :
1. Sarah Smith, born 11th Sept. 1810, married William L. Watkins.
2. Fanny Smith, born 17th Nov. 1812, married James Hunt.
3. Henry Dayton Smith, born Jan. 1815, married Margaret Conwell.
4. Caroline Smith, born 1817, married James W. Hunt.
5. Manning T. Smith, born 22d March, 1819, married Jane Wallace.
ABIGAIL TUCKER. (5th child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Abraham Skillman, had children :
1. Mary Anne Skillman, who married William P. Pendry, son of Alexander.
2. Isaac Newton Skillman married Drusilla Cheeseman, daughter of Richard.
3. Charlotte Skillman.
4. Jacob Skillman, who died at about 10 years.
5. Henry Manning Skillman.
6. Martha Anne Skillman.
7. Sarah Skillman.
NANCY TUCKER. (6th child of Henry Tucker, son of John) and Jacob Voorhies had children :
1. Margaret Voorhies born 28th March, 1814, and married, 1st, Harrison Young ; 2d, Joseph McNamar.
2. Henry M. Voorhies, born 1st January, 1816, married Louisa Bennet.
3. Benjamin S. Voorhies, born 26th November, 1817, married Elizabeth Roach ; lives in Cincinnati.
4. Daniel J. Voorhies, born 11th October, 1819, married. Margaret Roney, dauuhter of Silas, and have children : 1. James Madison ; 2. Nancy Tucker.
5. William Fergisun Voorhies, born 23d July, 1821, married Elsie Hervey.
6. John T. Voorhies, born 16th May, 1824; died 6th May, 1851.
7. Wilson G. Voorhies, born 15th May, 1826, and died at 23 years.
8. Lydia. Mariah Voorhies, born 23d July, 1828, married James Taylor.
9. and 10 twins, born 22d December, 1829, and died in infancy.
11. Mary Frances Voorhies. born 17th May, 1839, died at 16 months.
FANNY TUCKER, (8th child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Arthur S. Sorter had children :
1. Mary Jane Sorter, born 14th August, 1821, marriel Lewis Morse, and died 3d March, 1851.
2. Martha Anne Sorter, born 6th September, 1825, married Levi Clark, and died 22d May, 1844.
3. Arthur Sorter, born 22d November, 1828, died 14th November, 1832.
4. Absalom Sorter, born 13th October, 1830, died 10th May, 1859.
5. Arthur S. Sorter, born 4th September, 1833.
CHARLOTTE TUCKER, (9th child of Henry Tucker, son of John,) and Jacob A Riddle had children:
1. Manning Riddle, who married Lydia Stilwell ; live in Troy.
2. Nancy Jane Riddle married, 1st, Mr. Sayre 2d, Mr. Buckle ; live at Piqua.
3. Mary, who died young
MANNING R. TUCKER (10th child of Henry Tucker, son or John,) and Rebecca Perlee, lives on his father's homestead farm, and had children:
1. Harriet Mariah Newel, born 14th May, 1825, and married William R. Morse, son of Henry Morse, Esq. of Dayton.
2. Mary Smith, born 15th December, 1826.
3. Peter, born 14th February, 1828, died 21st October, 1833.
4. Martha Anne, born 19th October, 1829, died 14th November, 1832.
5. Henry, born 3d October, 1831.
6. Angeline, born 16th May, 1833.
7. Manning Perlee, born 14th March, 1835.
8. Fanny, born 26th March, 1837, died 23d April, 1842.
9. John Newton, born 22d November, 1839.
NANCY TUCKER, (4th child of John,) and Joseph Morse removed to Ohio, and settled in Hamilton county, 9 miles from Cincinnati. He died 1517 ; she died 1836 ; they had children :
1. John Morse, born 1792, married, successively, Elizabeth and Anne Swallow, sisters.
2. Isaac Morse, born 1794, and died 1817, unmarried.
3. Hetty Morse, born 1796, married William Murdock, and had children : 1. Nancy Murdock ; 2. John Murdock ; 3. William Murdock ; 4. Sarah Murdock ; 5. Citizen Murdock ; 6. Henry Murdock ; 7. Lewis Murdock ; 8. James Murdock. Mr. Murdock died in 1835.
4. Lewis Morse, born 8th September, 1799, married 14th October, 1832, had no children.
5. Henry Morse, born 11th September, 1801, married, 1st, 28th December, 1820, Phebe Ryan half sister of Martin Ryan ; 2d, Sarah K. Cheever, daughter of John M. Cheever.
6. Nancy Morse, born 1803, and married Daniel W. Turner.
7. Sarah Morse, born 1805, married Elisha Turner, brother of Daniel.
8. Joseph Morse, born 1807, and died at 2 or 3 years.
HENRY MORSE, (5th child of Joseph Morse. and Nancy Tucker.) was successively a merchant in Cincinnati ; a member of the senate of Ohio, in 1834 ; a judge of the court of Common pleas. and held other offices, civil and military ; he has now retired to a farm near Dayton, Ohio. By his first wife, Phebe Ryan, he had chidren:
1. Mary Jane Morse, born 31st October, 1821, and married Mr. Dyer ; lives in Arkansas.
2. Joseph Morse, born 11th January, 1825, and died 1849, unmarried.
3. Ryan Morse, born 18th August, 1826, and married, 1851, Harriet M. N. Tucker, daughter of Manning R. Tucker, son of Henry, son of John.
4. Martha Ellen Morse, born 14th December, 1827.
5. Henry Morse, born 30th October, 1830, and died 22d December, 1832.
6. Caroline Morse, born 7th July, 1834, and died 22d July, 1834.
CHLOE TUCKER, (5th child of John,) and William Ryan had children :
1. Elizabeth Ryan, who married John T. Jones, in Ohio.
2. Martin Ryan married Hetty Price, daughter of Hezekiah.
3. Mary Ryan married Osborn Cooper.
4. William Ryan, Jun. married Sally[? hard to read] Gray, and had children :
1. William H. Ryan ; 2. Elizabeth Ryan ; 3. John W. Ryan; 4. Malinda A. Ryan, who married Jacob R. Tingley.
MOSES TUCKER, (6th child of John,) and Betsey Lyon, had children:
1. Sally, who married Jonathan M. Willcox, son of Levi. [See Willcox.]
2. Clarissa married John Bryant, of Plainfield, and had children: 1. Joel Bryant ; 2. Apollos Bryant ; 3. Anne Eiiza Bryant.
3. Abigail married David B. Jolley, son of Richard ; he went to the south and died ; his widow lives in New York, and has three children : 1. Richard Jolley, who married in New York, Margaret M. Fisher, daughter of Richard. 2. Robert Jolley married Martha ____. 3. John Jolley.
4. Elizabeth married Levi Clark, Esq. son of Daniel S. Esq. and had children, Frances and Emeline Clark.
5. Polly married David Cole, son of Joseph Cole, Jun. of Scotch Plains ; had an only child Mary Cole, and died.
6. Sosan married Asa W . Ridge, live at Plainfield, and have children : 1. Mary Abeline Ridge; 2. Susan Elizabeth Ridge ; 3. Sarah Frances Ridge ; 4. Theodore Ridge ; 5. John Henry Ridge ; 6. Moses William Ridge.
JOSEPH TUCKER., (7th child of John,) and Deborah Line lived near Union Village, and had children:
1. Lines, who married Phebe Allen, daughter of Gideon.
2. Hetty married Daniel Allen, brother of Lines' wife. [See Allen.]
3. Frances married Elisha Jolley, son of Richard, and had children : 1. Henrietta Jolley, married Mr. Fisher, of New York. 2. Phebe Jolley, who married _____. 3. Mary Louisa Jolley married _____. 4. Betsey Meeker Jolley, who died at about 18 years. 5. Oscar Jolley ; 6. William Jolley died at about 3 yrs. 7. Frances Jolley, who died at 14 years.
4. Betsey married Elam Genung; they went to Indiana, where she died, leaving two children : 1. William Roy Genung ; 2. Phebe Elizabeth Genung.
LINES TUCKER, (son of Joseph, son of John.) and Phebe Allen lived where his father did, and had children :
1. Susan, who married Benjamin Moor, son of Isaac B. Moor.
2. Freeman married Eliza W. Drake, daughter of Ezra Drake, and only grandchild of Zophar Williams ; she died 5th December. 1847, leaving children: 1. Williams Tucker. 2. Lines Ezra Tucker. who died at about 5 months. And Freeman Tucker married. 2d, 30th June, 1850, Hannah Mariah Norman, daughter of Samuel Jolley's 2d wife, by a former husband.
3. Amos, who died aged about 21 years.
4. Deheline [? almost illegible] married. 1st January, 1849, Joseph S. Runyon, son of Richard, of Monmouth ; lives by Smalley's Bridge.
5. Mary Elizabeth married T. Hartwell Cox, son of Restors Cox.
6. Martha S.
REBECCA TUCKER, (10th child of John Tucker,) and Jacob Binge had children :
1. Polly Binge, who married John Vernon.
2. Caty Binge married Allen Parker, son of Jonathan, son of Judah.
3. John Binge married Elizabeth Coonrod.
4. Betsey Binge married Benjamin Chamberlain.