Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
PARKER to PRIOR
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
BENJAMIN PARKER lived on the north side of Long Hill, about a mile west of the Washington School-house. He married Lydia Osborn. He died 7th April, 1794, aged 60 years. She died 3d November, 1822, aged 85 years. They had children :
1. Stephen, born 29th May, 1759, and died 27th March, 1787, unmarried.
2. Abraham, born 16th Jan. 1762, and died at middle age, unmarried.
3. Calvin, born 13th Feb. 1768, married, 11th June, 1788, Sarah Badgley, daughter of Moses Badgley, and had a son, Moses Badgley Parker, who died a young man unmarried. Calvin's wife died 6th December, 1796, aged 27 years, and he married Rhoda Mascho, daughter of John Mascho.
4. Betsey, born 8th Feb. 1770, and married, 12th Nov. 1796, Moses Headley ; he died, and she married Jacob Lacy, son of David Lacy. He died about 1844, nearly 100 years old, and she still lives (1850) a widow, where her father did.
CALVIN PARKER and Rhoda Mascho had children :
1. Archibald, who died a young man, unmarried.
2. Jane, who married Maxwell Badgley, son of Samuel Badgley. [See Badgley.]
3. Sally, who married John Hampson, grand-son of John Smith Shotwell. [See Shotwell]
4. Betsey married William Lariew, of Sussex, and lives there.
5. Benjamin married Phebe Bedford, daughter of John S. Bedford.
6. Nancy married _____. 7. Hetty, who died young.
WILLIAM PARROT lived where Ezra Wilcox now does, and owned 200 acres of land, including that now owned by Ezra Wilcox, Abraham Valentine and David A. French, extending from the River to the Stony Hill Road. It was divided between his sons William and Thomas. He married the widow of Daniel Clark, and had children :
1. William, Jun. who married Catherine Williams, daughter of John Williams, of Northfield, in Livingston Township, and sister of Zophar Williams.
2. Thomas, who married, 20th December 1786, Rosannah Rutan, daughter of Abraham Rutan ; she died, and he married, 2d, September 9th, 1824, Abigail Meeker, daughter of Isaiah Meeker. He lived on Long Hill, and was a Justice of the Peace of Morris county. He died 21st September, 1840. His 2d wife died 1st July, 1846, aged 79 years.
3. Samuel, who married, 18th August, 1783, Polly Thompson, daughter of Thomas, of Long Hill. He with his family, removed to the Lakes, New York.
WILLIAM PARROT, Jun. (son of William,) and Catherine Williams, lived where his father did, and had children :
1. Abraham, who married Mary Frazee, daughter of Abraham Frazee, and lived in New York.
2. Betsey, who married, 1st January, 1816, Mahlon Smalley, son of David Smalley, Esq. [See Smalley.]
3. Abigail married, first, Samuel C. Parsons, son of Jonathan Parsons, and had a son John Parsons. Mr. Parsons died, and she married, second Israel Stevens, son of John, and had a daughter, Angeline Stevens. They live in New York.
4. Squier, born 27th April, 1790, and married, 3d December, 1816, Martha Townley, daughter of David, son of George Townley.
5. Polly married, 5th April, 1817, William Williamson, of Westfield, and had children : 1. James Williamson, who married Margaret Anne Lyon, daughter of William Lyon, of Lyons' Farms, and had children ; 1. Amanda Jenette Williamson ; 2. Sally Anne Williamson 3. Amelia Williamson. 2. Sally Anne Williamson, who married Isaac Cole, son of Freeman Cole, Esq. of Plainfield, and had children : 1. Hannah Eliza Cole ; 2. Mary Cole; 3. Freeman Cole.
NOTE.--Freeman, Esq. only son of Joseph Cole, [see Cole,] and Hannah Drake had children: 1. Mary who died at 16 years. 2. Joseph who died at 13 years. 3. William D. who married Catherine Smalley, daughter of Mahlon. [See Mahlon Smalley.] 4. Betsey married Moses Hetfield French, son of Willis. [See Willis French. 5. Isaac married Sally-Anne Williamson, daughter of William Williamson and Polly Parrot. [See Polly, daughter of William Parrot, Jun.] 6. Elias, who died a young man.
ABRAHAM PARROT (son of William Parrot, Jun.) and Mary Frazee, lived in New York, and had but one child Emeline, who married, first, Frederick Manchester, second, Samuel Miller. By her first husband she had children :
1. Mary Anne Manchester ; 2. Henrietta Manchester; 3. Sarah Manchester. And by Samuel Miller she had children: 4. Abraham Miller ; 5. Emeline Miller; 6. Catherine Miller ; 7. Elizabeth Miller.
SQUIER PARROT (son of William Parrot Jun.) and Martha Townley, had children :
1. Mary, who died at 13 years of age.
2. Elizabeth married Vincent Frazee, son of James Frazee, of Scotch Plains, and had children : 1. William Frazee ; 2. Rosetta Frazee ; 3. Isabel Frazee ; 4. Mary Ellen Frazee.
3. Abraham who married Sarah Anne Burrows danghter. of Rev. Waters Burrows, and had children : 1. George ; 2. Mary Francis.
4. Caroline married, 17th November, 1847 Daniel W. Day, son of Capt. Stephen Day. [See Day.]
6. Abigail married, 31st December, 1849, Alexander Cooper, son of Peter. [See Cooper.]
7. William, who died yonng.
8. Catherine ; 9. George Townley ; 10. Mary 2d ; 11. Martha.
2 THOMAS PARROT, Esq. (son of William,) and Rosannah Rutan, had children :
1. William, who married Betsey Hand, daughter of Benjamin, went to Ohio, and had children: 1. Abraham, who married Margaret Birdsal ; 2. Sylvester married Henrietta Ogden ; 3. Abigail married Daniel Hoffman ; 4. Electa married _____; 5. Thomas married _____; 6. Anne married Jonah Marlow ; 7. Simeon; 8. Daniel.
2. Anna, who married Isaac Crane, son of Norris, as his 2d wife. [See Norris Crane.]
3. Peter, who married Sally Crane, daughter of Norris, and had children: 1. Jane, who married William Force, son of Squier Force, Jun. live in Morristown. 2. Hetty married Sylvester Force, son of Squier Force, Jun. ; 3. Mary. 4. Phebe married William High, Jun. son of William. [See William High.] 5. Hannah ; 6. John.
4. Polly married Isaac Crane, son of Norris, as his first wife. [See Crane.]
5. Joseph, born 23d March, 1800, married, 30th August, 1820, Martha Cory, daughter of Daniel Cory, Jun. son of Elder Daniel Cory, of Long Hill, and had a daughter, Phebe, who married, 15th Feb. 1838, Augustine Trowbridge, and had two daughters ; and she died. Martha Cory, wife of Jo-seph Parrot, died, and he married, second, May 27th, 1824, Abigail Jones, born 26th January, 1804, daughter of Luther Jones, and had children : 2. Erastus ; 3. Thomas ; 4. Eliza,beth, born 10th April, 1828.
SAMUEL PARROT (son of William) and Polly Thompson had children :
1. Abigail, who married Daniel Hand, son of Benjamin Hand. He died without children, and she married William Reynalds, of Livingston, and had a son, Parrot Reynalds, who married Joanna Vashti Budd, daughter of Dr. John C. Budd, and died without children.
4. Mary, who died young.
6. Cornelia, who married Sears Smalley, son of Abner Smalley.
7. Samuel, Jun.
WILLIAM PARSONS, Esq.
WILLIAM PARSONS, Esq. came to Passaic Valley from Long Island, and settled on lot No. 13 of the Elizabethtown lots, first owned by William Broadwell, where J. H. Parsons lived. He was born 1710, and died 4th October, 1765, aged 55 years. His wife's name was Deborah, who died 5th Feb. 1792, very aged. They had children :
1. Deborah, who married David Potter, son of Daniel Potter, as a first wife.
2. William, Jun. who married Mary Searing, of Connecticut Farms. He died 10th Nov. 1792. She was born 2d Sept. 1734, and died 16th August, 1815. They had children : 1. Samuel, born 21st February. 1757, and married Polly Crane, daughter of Isaac. He died 25th Dec. 1822. She died 12th Nov. 1850, aged 90 years.
2. Sally, born 10th Dec. 1758, and died 17th Aug. 1831, aged 73 years. She married Capt. Samuel Potter, son of Col. Samuel Potter, and removed to Lamington. [See Capt. Samuel Potter.]
3. Jacob Searing, born 7th Jan. 1761, and married, 21st March, 1785, Sally Bonnel, daughter of Benjamin Bonnel, Esq.
4. Daniel, born 10th Nov. 1762, married, 21st March, 1785, Sarah Woodruff, daughter of Matthias Woodruff; of Chatham, and went to Ohio.
5. Jonathan, born 7th Nov. 1764, married, 30th December, 1790, Elizabeth Allen, daughter of Daniel Allen. He died 9th Sept. 1821, aged 57 years. She died 4th July, 1844.
6. Elizabeth, born 14th Feb. 1767, married, 17th Feb. 1786, Samuel Cory, of Westfield. He died 1st March, 1810, and she married George Townley. She died 6th May, 1847, without children.
7. David, born 28th Nov. 1768, married, 23d Dec 1789, Jane Osborn, daughter of Jonathan Howel Osborn. She died, and he married, second, Hannah Sturgis, of Green Village. She died, and he married, third, Deborah Mott, who died 18th July, 1829, aged 52 years. He died 10th Nov. 1849, aged nearly 81 years. He had no children by his third wife.
SAMUEL PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.) and Polly Crane, had children:
1. Chloe, who died 7th April, 1788, when young.
2. Polly married, 1st Dec. 1811, Parker Parcel, of Springfield, and had children : 1. Chloe Parcel who married Chauncy Canfield, of Connecticut, and had a daughter Chloe, and then died. 2. Matthias Parcel married _____; 3. Elizabeth Parcel 4. Phebe Parcel married Augustus Garrison ; went to Illinois ; 5. William Parcel married _____; 6. Catherine Parcel ; 7. Huldah Parcel ; 8. Mary Parcel married Moses Vail, and had children, Mary Elizabeth and Harriet Vail, twins.
3. Lewis, who died 6th April, 1789, aged 5 years.
4. Isaac Crane Parsons died 24th March, 1849, unmarried.
5. Sally, who married John Coddington, and had a daughter, 1. Mary Coddington, who married Samuel Baldwin, son of David. Mr. Coddington then died, and she married Wm. Petty, and had children : 2. Samuel Petty ; 3. Sarah Anne Petty ; 4. Charlotte Petty ; 5. David Petty.
6. Chloe, who married Aaron McKinstry, son of John, of Lamington, and had children : 1. Mary McKinstry ; 2. Elizabeth McKinstry ; 3. Matilda McKinstry ; 4. Thankful McKinstry ; 5. Jonathan McKinstry ; 6. Sarah McKinstry.
7. Betsey, who married Jonathan Ketchum, lived in Newark, and had children : 1. David Ketchum, who married _____; 2. Elmira Ketchum ; 3. Margaret Ketchum married _____ ; 4. Hyla Anne Ketchum.
8. Squier, who married Eliza Jennings, daughter of David, and had children: 1. Samuel ; 2. Caroline ; 3. Phebe Lucretia married Geo. Stanford, son of John, of Boundbrook ; 4. Betsey ; 5. Aaron ; 6. Mary.
Mrs. Eliza Parsons died January 5th, 1852.
JACOB SEARING PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.,) 9 lived where his lather did. He and Sally Bonnel had children:
1. William, who died a young man, unmarried.
2. Benjamin, who married Fanny Willcox, daughter of William, son of Noah Willcox; lived in New York.
3. Nancy married John Anderson ; lived in New York.
4. James Hervey married, 20th Sept 1812, Betsey Doty, daughter of James ; lived where this father did. He died 1st March, 1846 ; his wife died 10th Dec. 1832, aged 42 years ; they had children : 1. William, who died at 27 years. 2. Pamelia, who married Lyman Meeker, son of Zadoc Meeker, of Clinton. 3. Israel married Harriet Pierson, daughter of Charles. 4. Albert married, 24th Sept 1851, Sibel Osborn, daughter of John Osborn. 5. Nancy married, 18th July, 1850, John D. Martin, son of Thomas. [See Martin.] 6. Lewis married _____. 7. Betsey, who died at Clinton, of cholera, 24th August, 1849.
5. Mariah married David Howel of Morris county. He was Elder of the church of New Providence.
6. Electa, who did not marry.
JONATHAN PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.,) lived where his son, Luke, now does ; he and Elizabeth Allen, had children :
1. Eliphalet, who married Nancy Parcel ; removed to Baltimore, and has children : 1. Ira, born 1812, and died at 3 years ; 2. Ira, 2d, who died at 23 years ; 3. Elizabeth, who died at 5 years ; 4. Lewis ; 5. Francis Asbury ; 6. Harriet, who died at 3 years ; 7. Joseph ; 8. Stephen ; 9. Harriet, 2d ; 10. Anna ; 11. John, who died at 1 year.
2. Samuel Cory, who married Abigail Parrot, daughter of William, Jun.; had a son, John Parsons, and died.
3. Charlotte married Thomas Squier, son of Stephen. [See Squier.]
4. Luke, who lives where his father did ; he married, 1st, Eliza Haley, daughter of John Halsey, of Morristown, and had children :
1. Emily Eugenia, who died 8th Jan. 1841, aged 9 years.
2. Henry Halsey Parsons, born 22d Jan. 1824.
3. George. Searing Parsons, born 26th Sept. 1825. His wife Eliza, died 27th June, 1827, aged 25 years, and he married, 2d, Eliza Halsey, daughter of Henry Halsey, 3 miles east of Morristown, a cousin of his first wife, and had a son.
4. William Edgar Parsons, born 23d Sept. 1829. His 2d wife, Eliza, died 9th Feb. 1838, aged 40 years, and he married, 3d, Eliza Walker, daughter of Miller, by whom he had no children.
5. Anne, born 16th Dec. 1805, and married, 10th March, 1827, David Coddington, son of Archibald, of Mount Horeb ; lived at Plainfield, and had children:
1. Jonathan P. Coddington, born 20th Oct. 1829 ; 2. Mary Louisa Coddington ; 3. Edward James Coddington, born 23d Sept. 1834 ; 4. Ira Coddington, died at 3 weeks : 5 Charles Emory Coddington, who died at 5 1/2 months.
6. Mary, who married David C. L. Rounsavelle, son of Peter, and grandson of Nathaniel Littell, Esq. and had one son, Daton Rounsavelle, and died in Baltimore, 20th October, 1840, where they lived. [See Nancy Littell, daughter of Nathaniel Littell, Esq.]
7. Jonathan, who went to Baltimore ; he was born 12th January, 1812, and married Mary Anne Marr, born 7th Nov. 1813, daughter of Thomas Marr, and half sister of D. C. L. Rounsavele's 2d wife, and had children :
1. Eliphalet, born 18th July, 1834; 2. George Francis, born l2th August, 1836 ; 3. William, born 25th Nov. 1838, and died at 3 1/2 years ; 4. Charles Emory, born 28th May, 1841 ; 5. David Essex, born 30th June, 1843 ; 6. Emma Eliza, born 12th November, 1846 ; 7. John, 8th July, 1848.
DAVID PARSONS, (son of William, Jun.) had children:
1. Lewis, born 23d March, 1790, and went to Ohio.
2. John Marsh, born 30th June, 1791, and married, 12th March, 1820, Polly Morehouse, daughter of Simeon; live on Stony Hill, and had children : 1. William ; 2. Eliza Anne, who married, 16th November, 1848 Elias Osborn son of Stephen B. Osborn [see Osborn] ; 3. John L. ; 4. Nancy M. who married, 16th November, 1848, Ezra Reeve, of Newark; 5. Rebecca.
3 Polly, born 25th May, 1794, and married Samuel Marsh, of Westfield.
4. Rhoda, born 24th March, 1796, and died young.
5. Esther, born 18th March, 1798, is not married.
6. Deborah, born 15th July, 1800, is not married, she lives with Maj. J. Potter.
7. Howel, born 4th July, 1803 ; he went away, they know not where.
8. William, born 9th March, 1807, and died young.
MATTHIAS PARSONS lived in this Valley. I know not that he was of kin to William Parsons or his family. He married Mercy Shaw, sister of Richard Shaw, and had children : 1. John, baptized 25th May, 1788; 2. Abigail, baptized 25th May, 1788; 3. Phebe, baptized 25th May, 1788 ; 4. Mary, baptized 26th June, 1791.
Mr Parsons, with his family, removed to the Big Miami River, Ohio.
JOHN POOL lived on Long Hill, near where David Morehouse now lives. He married, 13th January, 1773, Jemima Mulford, daughter of Jeremy, and had children :
1. Elizabeth, and Joan, twins, baptized 4th Dec. 1774, and both died young.
8. Polly, who married Noah Williams, son of Noah, of Long Hill, and went to Ohio, and was there drowned.
4. Hannah, who married, 25th February, 1797, John Halsey, and went to near Lebanon, Warren Co. Ohio. [See Halsey.]
BENJAMIN PETTIT, ESQ.
BENJAMIN PETTIT, ESQ came from New Rochelle, in the State of New York, to Passaic Valley, and by deed dated 31st December, 1729, purchased 105 acres of land of Jona. Carle ; he also purchased in 1737, of the Committee of the Freeholders of Elizabethtown, 100 acres adjoining and lying west of the other tract, and between that and Nathaniel Smith's tract, and both adjoining the River, which are in possesion of his desendants to this day, on which Major Jotham Potter now lives. Benjamin Pettit, Esq. died 30th January, 1771, aged 72 years, and left children, Mary, Abigail and Benjamin Pettit, Jun.
BENJAMIN PETTIT, Jun. married Phebe Potter, daughter of Joseph Potter. and died 7th October, 1757, aged 35 years ; they had children :
1. Elizabeth, born 5th March, 1753, and married, 1st, John Parker, an Uncle of the wife of Hugh Cauldwell, and 2d, John Smith, and went to Western New York.
2. Phebe, born 26th February, 1756, and married 15th June, 1772, John Brittin son of William, [see Brittin,] and had children, Pettit and Betsey Brittin.
Pettit Brittin married for his 2d wife Betsey Rorback, and had children : 1. John Brittin ; 2. George Brittin ; 3. Sarah Brittin.
Betsey Brittin married James Primrose, and had children 1. John Primrose ; 2. Pettit Primrose ; 3. Sarah Primrose ; 4. Phebe Primrose ; 5. Hannah Primrose ; 6. George Washington Primrose.
3. Benjamin 3d, born 17th December, 1757 ; he was Capt. in the militia. He married in the winter of 1783 Elizabeth Day, daughter of Timothy, of Chatham, and died 25th Oct. 1794, aged 37 years. After the death of Benjamin Pettit, Jun. his widow Phebe married Kennedy Vance, of Longhill. [See Vance.]
CAPTAIN BENJAMIN PETTIT and Elizabeth Day, had children :
1. Timothy Day Pettit, who married 22d November, 1806 Huldah Bonnel, daughter of Nathaniel Bonnel 3d, and died 4th August, 1808, aged 25 years, leaving a son: 1. Timothy Day Pettit, who died 25th December, 1842, aged 35 years, unmarried ; 2. Benjamin Pettit 4th, who died 20th September, 1806 aged 21 years, unmarried ; 3. Betsey Pettit, who died 16th January. 1795, 6 1/2 years ; 4. Phebe Pettit, born 23d December, 1795, and married 8th May 1810, Jotham Potter, son of Amos Potter Esq. [See Potter.]
On the death of Timothy D. Pettit 2d, in 1842, the name of Pettit became extinct, and the farm is in possession of and owned by Major Jotham Potter, and his wife Phebe Pettit.
SAMUEL, POTTER, the ancestor of the Potter family, in this region of county, came from Wales, in England ; he had children:
1. Hannah, who was born 1691 ;
2. Daniel, born 1692.
3. Sarah, born 1696 ;
4. Samuel, Jun., born 1699. 5. Joseph, born 1702 ;
6. Elizabeth, twin to Joseph, born 1702.
7. Noadiah, born 1704, and lived at Vauxhall, in Clinton township ;
8. Mary, born 1708.
DANIEL POTTER 1st, (2d child of Samuel 1st,) lived in Connecticut Farms, and had children :
1. Daniel 2d, born 1723: he died by accident, 15th Oct, 1774.
2. Amos 1st, born 1725.
3. Samel 3d, born 1727 ; he was a Col. in the Revolutionary War.
These three brothers came up from Connecticut Farms, and took charge and possession of Lots No. 6. No. 26 and No. 27, of the Elizabethtown Lots, drawn by their father, Daniel Potter, and also Lot No. 22, drawn by David Potter, at the Summit of the Morris and Essex Rail Road.
Daniel Potter 2d, lived where his son Amos Potter, Esq., afterwards lived. Amos Potter, lived in a house opposite to that built by John Blackburn.
Samuel Potter, (the Col.,) lived at the Cross Roads, a little west of the Summit.
DANIEL POTTER 2d, (son of Daniel, son of Samuel Potter 1 st,) by a first wife, had a son, David Potter, who married Deborah Parsons, daughter of William Parsons, Esq. She became crazy Deb, and died childless. And for a second wife, Daniel Potter 2d married Catherine Lacy, sister of David Lacy. They had children :
1. Hannah, who married Daniel Hart, son of Jeremiah, [See Hart.]
2. Catherine married John Mascho. [See Mascho.]
3. Sally married Silas Howel, of Hanover, Morris county, and lived there.
4. Jacob married, 14th May, 1775, Susannah, daughter of elder John Clark. He was ordained an elder in the Presbyterian church, 4th November, 1794, and was an efficient member of the church and a useful member of society.
5. Amos married, first Sarah Clark, sister of Jacob's wife ; second, Elizabeth, the widow of Capt. Benjamin Pettit, by whom he had no children.
6. Phebe married John Stevens, son of Jonathan. [See Stevens.]
7. Noadiah married Polly Clark, daughter of Abraham, of Westfield, and went to Ohio.
8. Jotham, who died 21st August, 1777, aged 13 years.
9. Daniel 3d married, 28th April, 1791, Phebe Stanbury, daughter of Capt. Samuel Stanbury, of Long Hill, and had children : 1. Recompence Stanbury Potter, who married _____ ; 2. Phebe married Mr. Martin, of Plainfield.
Daniel Potter 3d lost his wife, and he married Agnes Van Court, below Plainfield, who after Mr. Potter's death married Stephen Whitaker, of Yates county, N. Y. [See Whitaker.]
JACOB POTTER, (4th child of Daniel 2d,) and Susannah Clark, had children : (he died 30th April, 1841, aged 86 ; she died 23d March, 1841, aged 84 years, both ripe for heaven):
1. Jerusha, who died September, 1777, aged 1 year.
2. Jerusha 2d, born 3d Jan. 1788, and died 7th March, 1796.
3. Susannah born, ___, 1780, and died 26th March, 1795.
4. Jonas, born 23d Dec. 1782, and died 9th April, 1800.
5. Nathan, who married Elizabeth Day, daughter of Moses Day, of Chatham.
6. Mary married Joseph Halsey, and went to Ohio, near Lebanon, and had children: 1. Mary Halsey, who married John Dynes. 2. Abby Halsey married James Dynes, cousin of John. 3. David Halsey ; 4. Joseph Halsey ; 5. Jacob Halsey.
7. Amos married, 1st September, 1814, Phebe Denman, daughter of Joseph, of Springfield, and had children : 1. Caroline, born 14th November, 1815, married James F. Kent, of the state of New York.; 2. Mary married Sidney A. Lyon, son of Lewis Lyon, of Springfield. 3. Sarah Willis Potter. 4. James Miller Potter married Jane Elizabeth Ramsey, of Rahway. 5. Charlotte Denman Potter, who died at 19 years, unmarried. 6. William Clark Potter. 7. Eliza, who died 21st October, 1839, aged 2 years. 8. Phebe Anne. 9. Israel Milton Potter, born 8th January, 1835.
8. David married in Ohio, Rhoda Potter, daughter of Russel, son of Amos Potter 1st. He lived near Middletown, Ohio.
9. Moses M. Potter, who died 10th October, 1815, aged 16 years, 5 months and 4 days.
10. Jacob M. Potter, who died at 18 years.
DAVID POTTER (son of Jacob) had children :
1. Jacob, who died young ;
2. Mary Elizabeth, who married Hervy Hathaway ;
3. Russel; 4. Louisa; 5. Susan.
David Potter's wife Rhoda then died, and he married Elizabeth Starr.
AMOS POTTER, Esq. (5th child of Daniel Potter 2d,) and Sarah Clark had children :
1. Hannah, who married Moses Thompson, son of Thomas, of Long Hill. [See Thompson.]
2. Jotham, born 3d Oct. 1781, married, 6th May, 1810, Phebe Pettit, daughter of Capt. Benjamin Pettit.
3. Elizabeth, who died 25th Jan. 1796, aged 12 years and 2 months.
4. Sally married, 21st Feb. 1808, Stephen B. Osborn, son of Smith S. [See Osborn.]
5. Charlotte married, 14th November, 1816, Jotham Meeker Baldwin, and had children: 1. Jotham Baldwin. 2. Elizabeth Baldwin, who married Isaac H. Labaugh, of New York. 3. James Baldwin, who went to Illinois. 4. Rowena Baldwin. 5. Sarah Baldwin.
They lived in N. Y. Mr. Baldwin died 16th June, 1845.
Amos Potter's wife Sarah died 15th January, 1796, aged 36 years, and he married Elizabeth, the widow of Capt. Benjamin Pettit. [See Pettit.] He was a Justice of the Peace, and died 8th July, 1834, aged 77 years. His widow died 19th January, 1835, aged 73 years.
JOTHAM POTTER, (2d child of Amos Potter, Esq.) was a major in the militia, a Justice of the Peace, and an elder in the presbyterian church, ordained 30th November, 1828. He and Phebe Pettit had children :
1. Benjamin Pettit Potter, who married, 7th December, 1742, Elizabeth Griffin, and had children: 1. Emily ; 2. Edward Griffin ; 3. Ludlow, who died at 2 months.
2. Betsey Day, who married, 11th November, 1835, Ellis Bonnel, son of Philemon. [See Bonnel.]
3. Sarah C. who married, 5th January, 1937, Daniel L. Bonnel, son of William. [See Bonnel]
4. Amos, born 1820.
5. Ludlow Day married, 4th June, 1850, Henrietta Malvina Ketchum, daughter of Enoch Ketchum, of Pennington, Mercer county, New Jersey. He graduated at Princeton College, studied theology at the seminary there, was licensed to preach, by the presbytery of Elizabethtown, in October, 1846, and went to Brookville, Indiana, and was ordained and installed over the presbyterian church there.
6. Mahetabel Merry.
7. Phebe Pettit.
8. Harriet Newel.
NOADIAH POTTER, (7th child of Daniel Potter 2d,) and Polly Clark, lived below Franklin, Ohio, and had children:
1. David, who married in Baltimore ; lived at Hill Grove, Darke county, Ohio, and had children : 1. Mary ; 2. ____; 3. Noadiah ; 4. Sidney ; 5. Clayton.
3. John Clark Potter married Sally Gard, daughter of the Rev. Stephen Gard, of Trenton, Ohio ; lived at Greenville, Darke county, Ohio, and had children : 1. Cecelia, who died a young woman in August, 1849, of cholera ; 2. Thaddeus.
3. Polly married Baldwin Morehouse, son of James. [See Morehouse.]
[transcriber's note: I have no idea why this jumps from 3 to 5]
5. Hiram married Hetty Fort ; was a merchant in Greenville, had no children.
8. Moses married Margaret Ainsworth, of Franklin; lived near Greenville.
AMOS POTTER 2d, (son of Daniel Potter 1st,) had children:
1. Elizabeth, who was baptized, 25th Jan. 1767, married Daniel Doty, son of John Doty. [See Daniel Doty.]
2. Joanna, who died 23d Dec. 1767.
3. Daniel, who died 18th Feb. 1768.
4. John, who married, 2d May, 1770, Bethiah Lyon, daughter of Peter Lyon, and went to Ohio.
5. Russel married Rhoda Maxwell, sister of Caleb Maxwell, and went to Ohio. [See Maxwell]
6. Moses married, 29th April. 1792, Rhoda Osborn, daughter of Jonathan Howe' Osborn, and went to Ohio. [See Osborn.]
7. Rebecca married Ellis Squier, son of Benjamin, son of John, of Westfield, and went to Ohio. [See Squier.]
8. Rachel, (by a 2d wife,) married Dan Cauldwell, son of William Cau!dwell, and went to Ohio. [See Cauldwell.]
Amos Potter's wife died 13th Feb. 1768.
JOHN POTTER, (son of Amos, son of Daniel 1st,) and Bethiah Lyon had children :
1. Phebe, baptized 20th Nov. 1775, and married Ezekiel Wright, Jun., son of Ezekiel.
2. Rachel married Nathaniel Bond ; lived near Ellis Squier's in Ohio.
3. Johannah married, 26th April, 1790, Allen Woodruff; went to Ohio, and there joined the Shakers.
4. Polly married James Morehouse, son of David, of Cheapside. [See Morehouse.]
5. Daniel married, 1st, Abby Morehouse ; 2d, Betsey Drew, daughter of John Drew, both of Cheapside.
6. Beujamin married Miss Dean, daughter of Thomas Dean.
7. John married Christiana Potter, daughter of Isaac, son of Col. Samuel, and removed to Sussex, and had children : 1. John Chatfield ; 2. Samuel Bebout ; 3. Benjamin ; 4. Jonathan ; 5. Isaac Warren ; 6. Henrietta Amanda.
RACHEL POTTER, (2d child of John Potter, son of Amos,) and Nathaniel Bond, had children :
1. John Bond, who married Eliza Crewel, daughter of Moses Crewel, of N. Jersey, and had children : 1. Julia Anne ; 2. Elias ; 3. Nathaniel ; 4. Crowel ; 5. Mary Jane ; 6. Henry ; 7. Ezra Bond.
2. Joseph Bond, who married Lavisy Osborn, daughter of Jeremiah H. Osborn, [see Osborn,] and had children : 1. Caroline ; 2. Benjamin ; 3. Alfred ; 4. Edwin ; 5. Squier ; 6. Milton.
3. Anna Bond married Squier Osborn, brother of Joseph Bond's wife, and had children : 1. Rachel Osborn; 2. Sarah Osborn.
4. Martha. 5. Mary.
RUSSEL POTTER, (5th child of Amos, son of Daniel Potter 1st,) and Rhoda Maxwell had children:
1. Anna, who married Samuel Martin, son of Joseph, of Pennsylvania, and had children : 1. Daniel Martin ; 2. Russel Martin ; 3. Rachel Martin ; 4. Mary Martin ; 5. Sarah Martin ; 6. Ezra Martin ; 7. Maxwell Martin.
2. Maxwell, who married, 1st, Elizabeth Coddington, daughter of William, of Maryland, a native of New Jersey, and had a son, Benjamin, who married Phebe Squier, daughter of David, son of Ellis Squier. Maxwell Potter married, 2d, Sally, the widow of David, son of Ellis Squier, [see Squier,] and had a daughter, Sarah Anne Potter, who married John Martin, and had a son, Edwin.
3. Levi, who married Chloe Potter, daughter of John, of Maryland, formerly of New Jersey, (not son of Amos,) and had children : 1. Rachel ; 2. Charlotte ; 3. Russel, and John, twins ; 5. Julia Anne ; 6. Elizabeth ; 7. Thompson.
4. Betsey, who married Josiah Kerr, son of Josiah, of Pennsylvania, and had children : 1. Margaret Kerr 2. Elizabeth Kerr.
5. Rhoda married David Potter, son of Jacob. [See Jacob Potter.]
BENJAMIN POTTER. (son of Maxwell,) and Phebe Squier had children :
1. Samuel Maxwell Potter, who married Elizabeth Moore, daughter of Abraham ; 2. George ; 3. William ; 4. Philip Landis ; 5. Anne Eliza ; 6. Sarah Bell.
2. Hannah Potter, who married 1st, Samuel Lee, son of Elder James Lee, a baptist minister ; 2d, James Emmons, and had children: 1. Maxwell Potter Lee, who married, 1851, Margaret Moore ; 2. James Lee ; 3. Elizabeth Lee, who married 1st, Joseph Banker, and had children : Jacob, and Franklin Banker ; 2d, William Hartley. 4. Mary, who married Dudley Jones. and had 4 children. And by James Emmons, Hannah had a son, Ezra Emmons.
3. Rhoda Potter, who married Moses Morehouse, son of James Morehouse, and had children: 1. Emeline Morehouse, who married John Emmons, and had 3 children. 2. Ezra Morehouse ; 3. Rhoda Anne Morehouse ; 4. Mary Morehouse ; 5. James Morehouse ; 6. Sarah Morehouse.
4. Mary Potter married William Lucas, and had children : 1. Samuel Lucas ; 2. Joel Lucas ; 3. Eliza Lucas ; 4. Nelson Lucas ; 5. Mary Anne Lucas ; 6. William Lucas ; 7. Benjamin Lucas ; 8. John Lucas ; 9. Lucinda Lucas.
5. Ezra Potter married 1st, Mary Gard, daughter of the Rev. Stephen Gard, and had children : 1. Ann Eliza ; 2. Laura ; Ezra married 2d, Catherine Miller, daughter of Ellis, and had other children : 3. Frank ; 4. Mary.
6. William Potter married Rachel Taylor, daughter of Joseph, and had children : 1. Charles ; 2. Sarah ; 3. Oscar ; 4. Juliette ; 5. Samuel.
7. Eliza Potter, who married John Hartley, and has children : 1. Elizabeth Hartley; 2. Augustus Hartley ; 3. Newton Hartley ; 4. John Leland Hartley. And by his 2d wife, Levi Potter had one daughter.
MOSES POTTER, (son of Amos, son of Daniel Potter 2d) and Rhoda Osborn, went to Ohio, and had children:
1. Levi, who married Sally Sutphen, from Monmouth Co. New Jersey, daughter of Abraham, and had children : 1. John Johnson Potter, who married Catherine Burge, daughter of Anthony. 2. Mariah Sutphen Potter. 3. Francis Marion Potter.
2. Rhoda married Samuel Wood ; lived in Dayton, and had children: 1. Betsey, who married John Robb ; 2. Jonas Wood ; 3. Jerry Wood.
3. Sally married Stephen Paine, of New York ; he died leaving three sons. 1. Moses Potter Paine, who married Mary Robison. 2. Daniel Paine married Elizabeth Young 3. Jonathan Paine married Hannah Barnet.
4. Jane, born 2d April, 1794, married John Sutphen, born 28th Sept. 1794, brother of Levi's wife.
5. Amos, who married Eleanor Denny, from Pennsylvania, and had children: 1. James ; 2. Mary Magdalen; 3. Rhoda.
6. Jonathan Howel Potter, who married 3 wives, and died in 1849, of cholera. He married, 1st, Charlotte Van Scoyke, and had children : 1. Amos Van Scoyke Potter ; 2. Levi Potter ; he married, 2d, Elizabeth Conover, and had a son, 3, Carleton Sutphen Potter. He married, 3d, Sarah Anne Bond, and had no children by her.
JANE POTTER, (4th child of Moses,) and John Sutphen lived at Middletown, and had children :
1. Abraham Sutphen, who married Eliza Brown, daughter of Christopher, of Virginia, and had children: 1. Levina Anne Sutphen ; Mariah Louisa Sutphen ; 3. Sarah Lucinda Sutphen ; 4. Rhoda Magdalen Sutphen.
2. Joseph Sutphen married Caroline Johnson, and had children : 1. Charles Sutphen ; 2. Harriet Jane Sutphen ; 3. Mary Bell Sutphen.
3. Moses Sutphen married Lucy Van Ness, and had a son, Isaac Sutphen, and died at just 30 years of age.
4. Sally Mariah Sutphen married Andrew Brown, brother of Abraham's wife, and had a daughter, Eliza Caroline Brown.
5. Carleton. Waldo Sutphen married Elizabeth Cochran, daughter of Thomas, and had children : 1. John Thomas Sutphen; 2. Ruth Jane Sutphen.
6. Rhoda Jane Sutphen. 7. John Sutphen. 8. Martha Anne Sutphen, 9. Levi Potter Sutphen. 10. James Heaton Sutphen, 11. Darias Lapham Sutphen. 12. Eliza Caroline Sutphen, who died at 4 years.
COL. SAMUEL POTTER
COL. SAMUEL POTTER, (son of Daniel, son of Samuel Potter 1st.) married Jemima Baldwin, 5th child of John Baldwin. [See John Baldwin.]
Col. Potter died 11th July, 1802, aged 76 ; his wife Jemima died 25th November, 1819, aged 89 years. he was an officer in the militia, in the revolutionary war, and an elder, and one of the principal supporters of the church of New Providence; and a justice of the peace ; they had children:
1. Caleb, who married 1st, on the 23d April, 1770, Phebe Par,rot ; 2d, a widow Hinds.
2. Lydia married Joseph Allen, brother of Daniel. [See Allen.]
3. Samuel, who married Sarah Parsons, daughter of William Parsons, Jun., and settled on Lamington river, Bedminster township, Somerset county.
4. Isaac married 1st, Abigail Bebout, daughter of Peter, of Long Hill ; 2d, Abigail Swain, daughter of John Swain, of Cheapside.
5. Enos, born 28th March, 1762, married 20th February, 1787, Rhoda Miller, daughter of Elder Moses Miller, and went to Ohio.
6. Jemima married Mr. ____ Cory, and went up the North River.
7. Prudence married Daniel Hart, son of Jeremiah, as his 2d wife. [See Hart.]
8. Mary, baptized 5th March, 1769, married 2d December, 1787, James Thomas, of Hanover, Morris county.
9. Bethuel, baptized 27th March, 1774, and died 10th October, 1776.
CALEB POTTER, (son of Col. Samuel,) and Phebe Parrot lived where Noah Frazee now does, and had children :
1. Abigail, who married, 5th November, 1759, Daniel Maxwell, son of John 2d. [See Maxwell.] She was drowned in January, 1800, in N. Y. Bay, by the upsetting of a ferry boat.
2. Samuel, who married, 25th March, 1797, Betsey Dunham, daughter of John Dunham, and had children : 1. Abigail, who married Peter Bebout, son of Stephen. [See Bebout] ; 2. Nancy married William B. Crane, son of Joseph, Jun. [see Crane,] and removed to Middletown, Ohio.
Mr. Caleb Potter died 27th May, 1799, aged 49 years. His first wife died 25th April, 1771, aged 31 years.
CAPT. SAMUEL POTTER, (3d child of Col. Samuel Potter,) and Sarah Parsons, lived.at Lamington, and had children :
1. Jonathan, who married Hannah Woolverton, of Canada ; he died in 1831, aged 53 years. He became Colonel of the militia.
2. Searing, who died at 17 years.
3. Elizabeth, who married Thomas Mulford, near Pluckemin.
4. Sarah married Hugh Bartley, son of John, and grand son of Capt. William Logan, of Peapack ; he lives in Morris county.
5. Samuel, who died at 20 years.
Capt. Potter died 17th August, 1831.
COL. JONATHAN POTTER, (son of Capt. Samuel,) and Hannah Woolverton had children :
1. Serring, who married Elizabeth Smith.
2. Dennis married Mary Anne Hyler, daughter of Philip, and had a daughter, Margaret, who married William Bonnel, and died in 1831, aged 27 years.
3. Mariah, who died in 1809, aged 3 years.
4. Sarah married Col. John McKinstry.
5. Samuel married Jane Rue, daughter of John, of Lamington.
6. Thankful married Benjamin Dunham, son of David, at the Cross Roads.
7. Jonathan W. married Gertrude Craig, daughter of William, of New Germantown.
8. Mary married David Dunham, brother of Benjamin.
SERRING POTTER, (son of Col. Jonathan,) and Elizabeth Smith had children :
1. Joseph ; 2. Jonathan; 3. Serring ; 4. Edmund ; 5. Hervy; 6. Elizabeth ; 7. Sarah.
SARAH POTTER, (4th child of Col. Jonathan) and Col. John McKinstry had children:
1. Jonathan McKinstry ; 2. Emily McKinstry; 3. John Mc Kinstry ; 4. Samuel McKinstry; 5. William McKinstry ; 6. Hannah McKinstry.
SAMUEL POTTER, (5th child of Col. Jonathan,) and, Jane Rue had 8 children, 5 of which are living:
1. William ; 2. Jonathan ; 3. Mary ; 4. Hannah ; 5. Emma Jane.
THANKFUL POTTER, (6th child of Col. Jonathan,) and Benjamin Dunham, had children :
1. Mary Dunham, who married, April, 1851, Philip Philhower.
2. Hannah Dunham ; 3. David Halsey Dunham ; 4. Jonathan Dunham ; 5. Warren Dunham ; 6. William Dunham ; 7. Martha Dunham ; 8. Sarah Dunham.
JONATHAN W. POTTER, (7th child of Col. Jonathan,) has a grist mill and a store at Morristown, and lives there. He and Gertrude Craig had children:
1. Samuel, born 1811.
2. Elizabeth, born 1844.
3. Hannah, born December, 1850.
MARY POTTER, (8th child of Col. Jonathan,) and David Dunham had children :
1. Martha Dunham ; 2. Serring Dunham ; 3. David Dunham ; 4. William Blauvelt Dunham, and two others, who died young.
ELIZABETH POTTER, (3d child of Capt. Samuel Potter,) and Thomas Mulford had children :
1.. Samuel Mulford, who died at 28 years, unmarried.
2. William P. Mulford, who married Henrietta Britton, daughter of Col. Elihu Britton, of Elizabethtown. [See Elihu Britton.]
3. Barnabas Mulford married Margaret Todd, daughter of Major William Todd, of Bedminster, and had 6 children.
4. Eleazer Mulford married Miss Campbell, near Somerville.
5. Mahlon Mulford married Anna Price, of Elizabethtown.
6. Mary Mulford, who died in infancy.
7. Mary Elizabeth Mulford married Daniel W. Noe, son of Ellis, and had children : 1. Daniel, who died young ; 2. Esther Noe.
Daniel W. Noe died, and she married Mr. Farrington.
SARAH POTTER, (4th child of Capt. Samuel,) and Hugh Bartley had children :
1. Caroline Bartley, who married John Salmon, and had 3 children: 1. Searing Salmon, who married Angeline Salmon, daughter of Joshua. 2. Harlan Page Salmon; 3d child died young.
2. Jonathan P. Bartley married Dorothy Caskey, and had 7 children. He was elected to the legislature, for the county of Morris, in 1850, and was accidently killed, in his saw-mill, in June, 1851.
3. Samuel P. Bartley married Eliza Ewalt, in Ohio ; had three children, and removed to Ohio in 1850.
4. Sarah Elizabeth Bartley married Aaron Salmon, of Flanders, and had 4 children.
5. Hannah Bartley died at 18 years, unmarried.
6. A son, who died young.
7. William Bartley married Elmira Wolf, of Flanders.
8. Hugh Bartley, Jun. married Elizabeth Vroom, of German Valley.
ISAAC POTTER, (4th child of Col. Samuel Potter,) and his first wife, Abigail Bebout lived where his father did, and had children :
1. Nancy, who married Philemon Elmer, son of Jonathan., Jun. [See Elmer.]
2. Christiana married John Potter, son of John, son of Amos, 1st. [See John Potter.]
3. Polly, married, 1st April, 1809, Daniel Vreland, of Springfield, and had children : 1. William Alanson Vreland ; 2. Eliza Vreland ; 3. Caroline Vreland; 4. Abigail Bebout Vreland ; 5. Lewis Vreland ; 6. John Vreland.
4. Nathan married Betsey Notrip, of Sussex, and had children : 1. Israel ; 2. Charlotte ; 3. Mary Melvina.
5. Israel, who died young.
6. Louisa, married 28th May, 1814, Samuel S. White, Esq., of Sussex, lived,there, and had children : 1. Job Sanford White ; 2. Sylvester Russel White ; 3 Abigail Caroline White ; 4. Nathan Potter White ; 5.-Thomas Gorden White : 6. Amanda White.
7. Lydia married Mr. ____ Digit, in New York, and died without children.
Mrs. Abigail Potter died 6th February, 1804, and he married 2d. Abigail Swain, daughter of John Swain, of Cheapside, and had other children :
8. Isaac Newton married Mary Ayers, daughter of David Ayers, of Union township.
9. Amanda married Benjamin Lord, a dentist, of New York.
10. Malvina married Caleb Baldwin, son of Noah, of Bloomfield.
11, Jemima, who went to Lawrenceburgh, Indiana, with her brother Samuel.
12. Samuel Sanford Potter, who graduated at college, in New York, studied theology, was licensed to preach the gospel. He preached some time in Newark. He married, 8th September, 1845, Phebe Riggs, daughter of Rev. Elias Riggs, and had children : 1. Margaret Riggs Potter ; 2. Joseph Lewis Potter ; and in November, 1850, removed to Lawrenceburgh, Indiana, and is settled over the Prebyterian congregation there.
Mr. Isaac Potter died 20th April, 1832, aged 73 years.
ENOS POTTER, (5th child of Col. Samuel,) and Rhoda Miller removed to Columbia, Ohio, at the mouth of the Little Miami river, in company with Ludlow and Stites, in 1788, and from thence to Fort Washington, now Cincinnati, in 1789, and from thence, in 1793, to a section of land near Middletown, which he purchased of John Cleeves Symmes, before leaving New Jersey. They had children :
1. Azuba, born in N. Jersey, 25th January, 1788, and died 19th March, 1794.
2. Nathan, born 28th June, 1791, and married, 28th June, 1822, his cousin, Hannah Miller, daughter of Jacob ; had 5 children, who all died young, and his wife died 17th April, 1834, and Nathan Potter died near Trenton, Ohio, 17th June, 1836.
3. Jonathan, born 18th December, 1793, and died 24th February, 1823, unmarried.
4. Bethuel, born 22d September, 1796, married Fanny Rogers, and had a son, Jonathan, who married _____, and has 4 children ; Bethuel died 23d December, 1819; his wife died previously.
5. Jemima, born 25th March, 1799, married 14th November, 1816, Aaron Flowers.
6. Samuel, born 25th October, 1801, married 18th January, 1825, Nancy Baker. She died 30th November, 1829, leaving daughter, Elizabeth, born 31st August, 1826, who married John Stewart, of Cincinnati.
Samuel married, 2d, Fanny Bryant, daughter of Nathaniel. May, 27th 1830, and had children : 2. Mary, born 6th March, 1831, married James Lane ; 3. Martha Anne, born 17th August, 1833 ; 4. Mariah, born 9th October, 1835; 5. Emeline, born 25th August, 1838 ; 6. Margaret, born 3d February, 1841 ; 7. Rhoda, born 27th April, 1844 ; 8 Abby Ellen, born 11th May, 1846, died 5th October, 1846 ; 9. William B., born 30th August, 1847.
7. Mary, born 5th April. 1804, and married, 18th May, 1826, David Bryant, brother of Fanny, and had a son Enos Bryant, and she soon after died.
8. Enos Baldwin Potter, born 24th August, 1806, married 26th February, 1829, Abigail Bryant, sister of David and Fanny, and had children : 1. Harriet ; 2. James ; 3. Lewis, who died young ; 4. Samuel. Enos B. Potter died in Dayton.
9. Aaron, born 31st March, 1809, lives in Hamilton, Ohio ; is an extensive marble manufacturer. He married, 23d September, 1830, Emeline Ramsdale, who was born in Boston, Mass. 19th July, 1613. They had children : 1. A daughter, born and died in Cincinnati, 22d December. 2. Charlotte A. born in Cincinnati. 9th January, 1833. 3. Amos, born 20th February, 1834, and died 8th July, 1834. 4. Nathan, born 2d December, 1835, and died 13th Jan 1838. 6. Laura, born in Hamilton 28th April, 1839, died 28th February, 1841. 6. Georgetta, born 16th May, 1846, died 8th December, 1849.
Mr. Enos Potter died 9th January, 1814. His widow Rhoda died 2d April, 1825.
JOSEPH POTTER, (5th child of Samuel Potter, 1st,) and Elizabeth Woodruff had 10 children :
1 have learned nothing of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th of them ; the first was,
1. John, who married Hannah Beach, of Jefferson Village.
2. Sarah married John Wade, of Connecticut Farms.
3. Betsey married Henry Woodruff, of Elizabethtown.
4. A daughter, who married Mr. Hallock.
5. Phebe married Benjamin Pettit, Jun., son of Benjamin, of New Providence. (See Pettit.)
10. Matthias married Mary Day, daughter of David Day, Esq., of New Providence. [See Day.]
JOHN POTTER. (son or Joseph,) and Hannah Beach had three sons, two of which died young, the other whose name was:
1. John married Hannah Wade, daughter of Benjamin, and had children : 1. Elias, who died at about 25 years, unmarried. 2. Susan, who died at about 18 years. unmarried. 3. Jotham, who married Rebecca Crane, daughter of John, son of John Crane, of Westfield. Jotham was a major in the militia. 4. Benjamin married Phehe Crane, sister of Jotham's wife. 6. John married Huldah Crane, also sister of Jotham's wife, and had but one child, Mary Hannah.
MAJOR JOTHAM POTTER, (son of John, son of John,) and Rebecca Crane had children :
1. Susan, who married Joseph Potter, son of William B. Potter, son of Matthias, and had no children.
2. Betsey married David Crane, son of Oliver, of Elizabethtown, and had a son, Oliver Crane.
3. Elias married Mariah Crane, daughter of Stephen, of Elizabethtown, son of Elijah, and had children : 1. Susan Elizabeth ; 2. Emeline : 3. Catherine ; 4. Louisa, and went to Peoria, Illinois.
BENJAMIN POTTER, (4th child of John, son of John, son of Joseph,) and Phebe Crane, daughter of John Crane, had children:
1. Rebecca, who married Israel Rowland, of Woodbridge.
2. John married Phebe Ball, daughter of David, and had children : 1. Anna; 2. Caroline Burnet. 3. Alpheus.
4. Hannah married Mr. Fornote, and went to the South, and died.
5. Phebe married David Bird, of Woodbridge.
MATTHIAS POTTER, (10th child of Joseph Potter 1st,) and Mary Day, had children:
1. Philetta, born 16th December, 1763, and married Benjamin Brookfield, son of Benjamin, of Rahway.
2. Aletta, born 11th October, 1767, and married Aaron Thompson, 12th child of Thomas. [See Thompson.]
3. Sally, born 20th February, 1771, married John Meeker, of Springfield.
4. Polly, born 6th April, 1773, married John Crane, son of John, of Westfield, [see Crane,] and had no children.
5. Joseph, born 20th October, 1775, married Polly Horton, daughter of Joshua, of Springfield.
6. William Broadwell, born 11th April, 1781, married Catherine Magie, daughter of Michael, and sister of the Rev. David Magie, D. D. of Elizabethtown.
7. Emily, born 6th January, 1784, married Clark Townley, son of Richard Townley, [see Townley,] and had children : Jonathan and Sally Anne Townley.
PHILETTA POTTER, (1st child of Matthias,) and Benjamin Brookfield, had children :
1. Mary Brookfield, who married Mr. Davis, of Ohio.
2. Amelia Brookfield married Enoch Scudder, son of Jesse, son of Benjamin.
3. Fanny Brookfield married Seth Bowden, of Newark.
4. Aletta Brookfield married Mr. ____ Ellive, of Ohio.
SALLY POTTER, (3d child of Matthias,) and John Meeker had children :
1. Cornelia Meeker, who married William Clark, son of James, of Springfield.
2. Eliza Meeker married John Clawson, of Morris Co.
3. Susan Meeker married Jacob Mulford, son of Jeremiah, son of Jeremiah Mulford, of Cheapside.
JOSEPH POTTER, (5th child of Matthias,) and Polly Horton, removed to Tomkins county, New York, and had children :
1. Matthias, who married ____, a daughter of Thomas Dean, North of Springfield.
2. Mary married Jarvis Beach, from New England.
WILLIAM B. POTTER, (6th child of Matthias,) and Catherine Magie, lived in Connecticut Farms. He was an Elder in the Presbyterian Church there. They had children :
1. Joseph, born 22d March, 1803, married Susan Potter, daughter of Major Jotham, and had no children.
2. Samuel Smith Potter, born 26th January, 1806, and married Ellen Johnson, daughter of James, of New York, and had children : 1. Margaret ; 2. William B. ; 3. James Johnson ; 4. Samuel ; 5. Joseph ; 6. Charles Pitman.
3. Jane Magie Potter, born 24th April, 1810, married William Darby, Jun., son of William, of Rahway, and had children : 1. Catherine Darby ; 2. Sarah Darby ; 3. William Darby 3d.
4. Catherine Haines Potter, born 5th October, 1812, married John Davis Crane, son of John Grant Crane, and had children : 1. Anne Nesbitt Crane ; 2. Sarah Catherine Crane ; 3. Albert Grant Crane ; 4. John Joseph Crane.
5. David Magie Potter, born 18th September, 1815, and married Eliza Sherwood, daughter of William, son of Moses Sherwood, of New York, and had children : 1. William ; 2. Charles Henry ; 3. Hannah Anne, who died at about 3 years ; 4. Sarah Catherine ; 5. Anne Elizabeth.
6. Matthias Day Potter, born 26th September, 1818, married Harriet Hedden, of New York, and had a son : 1. Joseph Matthias Potter, and died in his 26th year.
ABRAHAM PRICE married Mary Anne Miller, daughter of Matthias Miller, of Elizabethtown, and removed to the farm on Stony Hill, lately owned by Levi Willcox, deceased, and had sons, Matthias, David, Abraham, and Benjamin, who all removed to the western country ; they had daughters :
5. Rachel, born 14th July, 1774, and married George Cory, son of Ebenezer Cory. [See Cory.]
6. Sarah, who married, 11th Jan. 1785, John Hand, of Long Hill, brother of Benjamin, and went to Ohio.
7. Phebe, who married Nathan Wilkison, 30th Sept. 1795. They had children : 1. Sally Wilkison, who married Benjamin, Willcox, son of Benjamin. [See Willcox.] 2. Harriet Wilkison married David Badgley, son of Anthony. [See Badgley.] 3. Abrahom Price Wilkison, born 2d Sept. 1800, married Jane Nafie, and had children : 1. Theodore : 2. William ; 3. Mariah ; 4. Sarah Anne 5. Adaline ; 6. David L. 4. Betsey Wilkison married Joseph Long, son of John, [See Lone.] 5. Squier Wilkison, born, 1808; is unmarried. 6. David Wilkison. 7. William Wilkison, who married Mary Reeve, of Springfield, and lived there, and had a daughter, Sarah Caroline Wilkison. 8. Emeline Wilkison married Asa Baldwin, son of David C. Baldwin. [See Gabriel Baldwin.]
8. Abigail, who married John Atkins, and lived in New York. He died of cholera, 28th July, 1832, aged 53 years.
Mr. Abraham Price, died 27th Sept. 1784, and his widow, Mary Anne, married John Stevens, half brother of Jonathan Stevens, but had no other children.
RICE PRICE was son of Samuel Price, of Warren Co. He married Phebe Clark, daughter of Jacob Clark, on the first mountain ; lived about Stony H ill, and had children :
1. Jonas, who married Jane Raddin, daughter of Jeremy, and died at 24 years. [See Raddin.]
2. Samuel married Anne Corwin, daughter of Stephen. [See Corwin.]
3. Jacob married Jemima Badgley, daughter of Anthony Badgley, Jun.
4. Phinehas married Susan Evans ; became a Methodist Preacher, and went to Delaware county, Pennsylvania.
5. Rhoda married John W. Foster, of Westfield, as his 2d wife, and had children: 1. Susannah Foster, who married Martin Hulbert, son of Joshua, of Mendham, and had children : 1. Ira Marcus Hulbert ; 2. James Hulbert • 3. Levisa Hulbert ; 4. William Hervy Hulbert, who died at 3 years ; 5. Martin Hervy Hulbert, who also died at 3 years ; 6. Harriet Hulbert ; 7. Martin Hulbert ; 8. a daughter.
2. Levisa Foster, who married David Dunham, son of Amos Dunham, of Liberty Corner, and had children : 1. Oliver Dunham ; 2. Anna Mariah Dunham ; 3. Susan Francis Dunham ; 4. Catherine Dunham; 5. Caroline Amanda Dunham ; 6. Louisa Dunham.
3. Marcus Foster, who died at 10 months.
6. Mary married Abraham Kent, in May, 1799, and lives where Isaiah Meeker formerly lived.
7. William married Sally Badgley, daughter of Samuel Badgley, and removed to Chemung county, New York.
8. Hannah married Jeremiah Totten, son of Jonathan. [See Totten.]
MARY PRICE, (6th child of Rice Price,) and Abraham Kent, had children :
1. Jane Kent who died at 31. months.
2. Samuel Kent, who married, 12th September, 1838, Margaret Osborn, daughter of John, and had children : 1. Mary Emily Kent; 2. Sarah Anne Kent. 3. Rhoda Anne Kent, who died in her 10th year. 4. Mary Kent, born 1818. 5. Phebe Kent married, 30th November, 1837, Joseph Hastings, son of James, of Elizabethtown, and had children : 1. Theodore Hastings ; 2. John Hastings; 3. Louisa Hasting ; 4. Mary Hastings ; 5. Joseph Hastings. 6. Catherine E. Kent, who married, 4th November, 1842, George Scofield, son of ____, and had a daughter, Anne Eliza Scofield. ; 7. Abraham Kent, who died at 15 months. ; 8. Abraham Kent, 2d, born ___, 1829. 9. Christopher Kent, born 1833.
WILLIAM PRICE, (son of Rice Price,) and Sally Badgley, had children:
1. Jacob, who married Eliza ____.
2. William Henry married Hetty Brown, daughter of William. son of John Brown.
3. Samuel married _____.
4. Phebe Anne, who died at 11 years.
5. George; 6. Davison Day ; 7. Jesse. 8. Sarah Jane. who died at 4 years. 9. Martin Hulbert.
ANDREW PRIOR lived where Elias Osborn now lives. He had children, by his 1st wife Polly ____:
2. Sarah, who, married, 12th July, 1770, John Winans.
3. John married, 10th May, 1775, Elizabeth Maxwell, daughter of William Maxwell.
4. Betsey married William Maxwell, Jun, brother of John Prior's wife.
5. Jane, who died young.
By his 2d wile, Lydia Littell, daughter of David Littell, he had children:
6. Andrew, Jun., who went to Ohio with his step-father, David Flinn. [See Flinn.]
7. Moses, who also went to Ohio, and was killed by the Indians, in 1794.
Mr. Prior died 5th February, 1768, and his widow Lydia married, 14th May, 1769. David Flinn, and had children :
1. Lydia, who married in Ohio, Edmund Buxton, and lived in Hamilton county, Ohio.
2. Susannah married John Miller, in Ohio, had a family, and all went to the Shakers.
ANDREW PRIOR, Jun., married, 1st, Polly Marsh, and had by her 9, and by his 2d wife, 3 children :
1. Nancy, wno married Samuel Littell, son of ____, of Cincinnati, and had children : 1. Moses Littell ; 2. William Littell ; 3. James Littell.
2. Lydia married James Centre ; had a child Nancy, who died at 9 years.
3. Sally married William Wilson ; had 4 children.
4. Huldah married Edward Price ; live in Indiana ; had children: 1. William ; 2. Hester Anne.
5. Phebe married, 1st, Witham Bowman ; 2. Henry Myers.
6. Charlotte married _____.
7. Mary Anne.
8. Moses married Sarah Ferguson, a niece of Charles Buxton's wife.
9. Aaron married Abigail Clark, daughter of Joseph.
And by his 2d wife Polly, Andrew Prior, Jun., had:
10. William 11. John ; 12. ____.