Family Records or Genealogies
First Settlers Of Passaic Valley
Above Chatham - with Their
Ancestors and Descendants
As Far As Can Now Be Ascertained.
by John Littell
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
DAVID LITTELL, (9th child of Samuel Littell and Lydia Bonney) was born in January, 1718, and died August 2d, 1790. He married Susannah Craig, daughter of Alderman Andrew Craig, of Westfield. She died 5th June, 1753, aged about 37 years. They had 7 children:
1. Esther born 19th February, 1739, married William Bedell. He died 30th January, 1814. She died 18th October 1828. [Sea William Bedell.]
2. Lydia, born 16th November, 1741, married, 1st, Andrew Prior. He died February, 1768, and she married, 2d, the 14th May, 1769, David Flinn, as his 2d wife. [See Prior.] She died 4th December, 1826.
3. Catherine, born November, 1743, married, 1st, Jabez Rogers. He died 1774, and she married, 2d, Moses Crane, of Parcipany, and lived there.
4. Elizabeth, born 27th October, 1745, married, 1st Oct. 1784, Moses Bedell. He died, and she married, 2d, David Van Sickle, brother of Zachariah. [For her descendants, see Moses Bedell, Thomas Hadlock, and Isaac Moore.]
5. Andrew, born January, 1749, married Miss Runyon, sister of Daniel Heath's wife, [see Heath,] and went to western New York.
6. David, born January, 1751, married Hannah Miller, daughter of Enoch Miller, of Westfield.
7. Nathaniel, born 26th January, 1753, married Mary Cauldwell, daughter of William. [See Cauldwell.]
David Littell married a 2d wife, and had children:
8. Samuel, who most probably married his cousin, Sarah Littell, daughter of Jonathan. [See Jonathan Littell.]
9. Susannah married, 28th February, 1784, David Ruckman, probably a brother of Jonathan, [which see.]
NOTE—I have not ascertained any of the descendants of Andrew, Samuel, or Susannah.
ESTHER LITTELL, (1st child of David Littell, son of Samuel,) and William Bedell, had children. [See Bedell.]
1. Susannah, born 27th November, 1761, married Jonathan Davis, son of Isaac Davis, whose wife was Sarah Palmer. After the death of Isaac Davis, his widow, Sarah, married Sylvanus Oakley, Sen. [See Oakley.] Susannah died 20th September, 1836.
2. Phebe, born 7th July, 1763, and died January, 1847. She married, 1st, Charles Johnson, son of Uzel ; 2d, Caleb Mulford, son of Job. [See Bedell and Mulford]
3. Lydia, born 3d August, 1765, died 19th January, 1840. She married Elijah Davis, brother of Jonathan.
4 Polly, or Mary, born 7th July, 1767, married Daniel Hole, son o f Charles. and died about 1826 or 7. [See Bedell.]
5. James, born 1769, married Nancy Oakley, and died in 1840.
Susannah Bedell, (1st child of William Bedell and Esther Littell.) and Jonathan Davis, who was born 30th January, 1760,) had children :
1. William Davis, born 13th December, 1781, married, 1805, Sarah Lamb, daughter of Col. Joseph Lamb. They both went to the Shakers in about one year after. He died 10th January, 1846, and she continues with them.
2. John Davis, born 20th November, 1783, and married Elizabeth Sering, and removed to Texas.
3. Polly Davis, born 19th Augnst, 1783, and is with the Shakers.
4. Rufus Davis, born 18th June, 1792.
5. Jonathan Davis, born 18th July, 1795.
6. Huldah Davis, born 9th June, 1800, married John Monger.
7. Hetty Davis, born 29th October, 1805, married Joseph Q. Lamb, son of Col. Joseph Lamb , of Warren county, Ohio.
Lydia Bedell, and Elijah Davis, had children :
1. Esther Davis, who is with the Shaking Quakers, called Shakers, at Union or Shaker Town, Warren county, Ohio.
2. William Davis is also with the Shakers.
3. James Davis went to Indiana.
4. Daniel Davis is with the Shakers.
5. Jonathan Davis.
6. Samuel and Hannah, twins ;these two died young.
Mary Bedell and Daniel Hole, had children. [See Bedell.]
James Bedell and Nancy Oakley, had children:
1. John married _____ ; lives in Indiana.
2. Susan is with the Shakers.
4. Sally is with the Shakers.
5. William married _____ ; lives in Indiana.
6. Esther married _____ ; lives in Indiana.
LYDIA LITTELL, (2d child of David, son of Samuel,) married 1st, Andrew Prior as his 2d wife, (see Prior ;) 2d, David Flinn, born 22d March, 1731, and died 4th March, 1815. By David Flinn she had children :
1. Stephen Flinn, who married Sailly ____, and had children. [See Flinn.]
2. Lydia Flinn, born 10th February, 1774, married Edmund Buxton, born 24th January, 1768, lived east of Reading, in Hamilton county, Ohio, (he came from New England,) and had chidren :
1. Charles Buxton, born 29th March, 1793, married, 25th June, 1812, Rebecca Ferguson, daughter of Hudson.
2. David Buxton, born 28th February, 1795, married Joanna Conklin, born 22d November, 1798, daughter of Stephen, son of Joseph Conklin, who married Mary Cory, sister of Elder Benjamin Cory, of Elizabethtown. [See Conklin.]
3. Anne Buxton married William Ferguson, a cousin of Charles's wife ; lives in Floyd county, Indiana.
4. Moses Buxton, born 5th July, 1798, married, 28th January, 1818, Prudence E. Bacon, born 29th April, 1799, daughter of Nathan Bacon, of Cape May, N. J.
5. Jane Buxton, born 16th December, 1799, married, 20th May, 1819, Nathan Monroe, only son of Jehu, of Pennsylvania ; lives near Lebanon, Ohio.
6. John Buxton married Hannah Willey.
7. Aaron Buxton, born 113th March, 1804, married Hannah Lambern, daughter of Josiah Lambern.
8. William Buxton, born 10th March, 1806, married Catherine W. Terry, born 23d December, 1808, daughter of William Terry.
Mr. Edmund Buxton died 20th July, 1806.
Charles Buxton, (son of Edmund)) and Rebecca Ferguson, had children :
1. Edmund, born 4th August, 1813, and married Eliza Cortleyou, daughter of Albert, and had children :1. Margaret; 2. Henry ; 3. Rebecca ; 4. Gennette ; 5. Charles.
2. William, born 22d October, 1815, married Elizabeth, Larew, lives in Madison, Indiana.
3. Jane, born 4th July, 1817, married Hezekiah Bonham and had children : I. John Bonham ; 2. Ellis Bonham; 3. Eliza Jane Bonham ; 4. Tyler Bonham.
4. John M., born 15th December, 182l.
5. Aaron, born 27th May, 1824, married Rebecca Pierson, daughter of Jesse, and had a daughter, Harriet.
6, Eliza Anne, born 26th May, 1826, and died about 1834.
7. Susan, born 13th January, 1829, married, August, 1850, James Conover.
8. Catherine, born 3d March, 1833.
David Buxton, (2d son of Edmund,) and Joanna Conklin, had children :
1. Lydia, born 11th June, MS, and died 26th June, 1818.
2. Mary Jane, born 14th. July, 1819, and died 26th April, 1843.
3. John, born 15th October, 1821.
4. Joseph, born 4th January, 1824, married 28th March, 1850, Hannah Cornell.
5. Sarah Anne, born 24th October, 1826, married, 8th October, 1849, Isaac Ferris, son of Rev.. Isaac Ferris, a Baptist minister.
6. William, born 28th October, l828.
7. Susan, born 20th March, 1831.
8. Emeline, born 3d December, 1833.
9. Freelove, born 9th January, 1837.
10. David, born 19th December, 1839.
11. Amos, born 16th January, 1841.
12. Olive, born 29th January, 1844, and died 6th December, 1844.
Anne Buxton, (3d child of Edmund,) and William Ferguson, live near New Albany, Floyd county, Indiana, and had children:
1. Enoch Ferguson, who married Nancy Brown, and lives at New Albany.
2. Nancy Ferguson married John Wood, and went to Missouri.
3. Isaac Ferguson married, 1st, Nancy Karr, daughter of Samuel, of Hamilton county, Ohio ; 2d, Martha Breedlove.
4. William Ferguson married _____ , and lives in Hancock county, Illinois.
5. John Ferguson.
Moses Buxton, (4th child of Edmund,) and Prudence E. Bacon, lived on his father's farm, near Reading, Hamilton county, Ohio, and had children :
1. Edmund Buxton, born 16th May, 1819, married Harriet Larew, daughter of Isaac, and lives at Madison, Indiana.
2. Lydia Buxton, born 25th April, 1821, married Peter Black, son of Peter, and died, 18th August, 1850, leaving a daughter, Louisa Black.
3. Nancy L. Buxton, born 18th September, 1823, married Henry Moody, lives in Carthage, Ohio, and had children : 1. Harriet Jane Moody ; 2. Joseph Moody ; 3. Henry Moses Moody.
4. Nathan B. Buxton, born 17th October, 1825, married Sarah Jane Mann, daughter of Col. Joseph Mann.
5. James B. Buxton, born 27th June, 1827, married Rebecca Parkhill.
6. David F. Buxton, born 29th April, 1831.
7. William W. Buxton, born 23d July, 1833.
8. Eliza Anne Buxton, born 12th May, 1836.
9. Isaac Newton Buxton, born 22d August, 1835.
10. George W. Buxton, born 3d March, 1841.
Mr. Moses Buxton died 13th October, 1850, with schirrous tumor in the stomach, which stopped the passage from the stomach to the bowels.
Jane Buxton, (5th child of Edmund,) and Nathan Monroe, had children:
1. Edmund Monroe, born 26th May, 1820, married, 3d December, 1842, Hannah Jane Halsey, daughter of Caleb, son of John Halsey and Hannah Pool, (see Halsey and Pool,) and had children : 1. Nathan, who died young ; 2. Oscar ; 3. Hudson ; 4, Lewis Ridgeway, who died young. Mrs. Monroe died August, 1851.
2. John Monroe, born 18th February, 1823, married, 21st May, 1846, Martha Jane Maple, daughter of Elias Maple, from New Jersey, and had children: 1. Mary Jane ; 2. James Walter Monroe.
3. Aaron Monroe, born 6th May, 1825.
4. Charles Monroe, born 7th August, 1827, married. 10th Oct, 1849, Mary Peace, daughter of John, and had children : 1. Mary Jane.
5. Lydia Anne Monroe, born 16th September, 1829.
6. William Monroe, born 30th August, 1832.
John Buxton, (6th child of Edmund,) and Hannah Willey, had children :
1. Eliza ; 2. Lydia ; 3. Mary, who died at 7 years ; 4. Deborah ; 5, John, Jun. ; 6. Charlotte or Amanda.
Aaron Buxton, (7th child of Edmund,) and Hannah Lambern, had children :
1. Anne C., born 29th June, 1826.
2. Lydia, born 15th October, 1827.
3. Josiah L., born 29th October, 1830.
4. Emeline, born 17th March, 1834.
5. Laura, born 6th August, 1836.
6. Augusta, born 20th February, 1845.
William Buxton, (8th child of Edmund,) and Catherine W. Terry, had children:
1. Phebe Anne, born 15th April, 1827.
2. Charles, born 30th October, 1830.
3. Caroline, born 11th December, 1832.
4. Eliza Jane, burn 15th August, 1836.
5. Charlotte, born 30th March, 1839.
6. Newton Stites, born 2d April, 1843.
3. Susannah Flinn, youngest daughter of Lydia Littell and David Flinn, married John Miller, in Warren county, Ohio, and had children, Daniel, David, Moses, and Lucy Jane Miller. Mr. Miller, and his wife and children, all went to the Shakers. Mr. Miller died in 1850, aged 79 years, and Susannah, his wife, in 1840, aged 62 years. The children are there still in 1851. Moses is the principal dealer about the country for the association, and Lucy Jane is conspicuous in the house.
CATHERINE LITTELL, (3d child of David,) and Jabez Rogers, lived at Parcipany. He was born 3d November, 1739, and died 1774, aged 35 years. She was born 19th October, 1743, and died 1794, aged 51 years. They had children :
1. Nathaniel Rogers, born 4th February, 1761, and died 1845, aged 84 years. He married Rachel McDaniels, daughter of Elkanah ; she was still living in 1848. They lived near Lake Champlain, and had children ; Moses and John Rogers.
2. Sarah Rogers, born. 30th June, 1764, married Robert Templeton, of Parcipany, and died at 34 years.
3. Lydia Rogers, born 5th April, 1766, married Ebenezer Burnet.
4. Elizabeth Rogers, born 30th March, 1768, and died at 13 years.
. 5. Jemima Rogers, born 5th February, 1770, and died at 7 years.
6. Joanna Rogers, born 22d December, 1771, married Noah Estile, of Parcipany. He was born 16th December, 1766, and died 11th December, 1848. They lived near Dover.
7. Stephen Rogers, born 28th August, 1773, married Phebe Baldwin, daughter of Job.
8. Susan Rogers, born 28th April, 1775, married, 16th November,1795, Jacob Hinds, of Hanover, who was born 14th January. 1774, and removed to Bristol, Vermont.
Mr. Jabez Rogers died 1774, and his widow, Catherine, married Moses Crane, of Parcipany, and had 3 other children :
9. Josiah Crane, who went to Seneca Falls, New York, and married Rachel ____, but had no children.
10. Phebe Crane, who married Edmund Compson, of Parcipany, and removed to Montezuma, New York, and had a large family of children.
11. Elizabeth Crane married Caleb Woodworth, and had 10 children. She died, and Mr. Woodworth married a widow with 10 children. Mr. Woodworth's 2d wife died, and he married, 3d, Hannah Compson, daughter of Edmund Compson, his first wife's niece.
Sarah Rogers, (2d child of Catherine Littell and Jabez Rogers. and Robert Templeton, had children :
1. .Elizabeth Templeton, who married Ashbel Cory, of Troy, and had children : 1. Caroline Cory ; 2. Mary Cory ; 3. Julianne Cory ; 4. Archibald Cory.
2. Mary Templeton, who married Freeman Ford, (son of Samuel, son of William Odell Ford, son of Jonathan Ford) and had children :1. Eveline Ford ; 2. William Ford.
3. Catharine Templeton, who married Alexander Lawrence, and had children : 1 Alexander Lawrence.
Lydia Rogers, (3d child of Catharine Littell and Jabez Rogers,) and Ebenezer Burnet, had children :
1. Sarah Burnet, who married John Tichenor, son of Jabez, and had one son and two daughters, when Mr. Tichenor died, and she married William Churchill, and went to Ohio.
2. Stephen Burnet, who died at 2 years.
3. James Burnet went to Georgia, and married there Sarah Wilson, of Powlington, and has one daughter and three sons living at Sparta, Georgia.
4. Ralph Burnet married Phebe Lindsley, of Morristown, had three sons and two daughters, and went to Sidney, Ohio, and died at about 54 years.
5. Hiram Burnet married Adeline Burrows, had one daughter, and died in 1813.
6. Ebenezer Burnet married Mariah Debow, of Morris Co., and went to Sidney, Ohio, and had 13 children.
7. Catharine Burnet married Joseph Warren, of Ramapo, N. Y., and went to Sidney, Ohio, and had 11 children.
8. Joanna Estile Burnet married David Norris, a black-smith, a son of Lebbeus Norris, of Morristown ; lives at Millville, Essex county, and has eight children.
9. John Seward Burnet married Mary Harrison, of Orange, had one daughter, and died at 22 years.
10. Phebe Burnet married Robert Fields, of Paterson; lived there, and has three sons.
11. Charles Burnet married Frances Tichenor, daughter of Jabez, and sister of Sarah's husband ; had seven children, all of whom have died except one daughter.
Joanna E. Burnet, (8th child of Lydia Rogers and Ebenezer Burnet,) was born 7th Jan. 1801, and married David Norris, born 10th April, 1791, and had children:
1. James Burnet Norris, born 26th Nov. 1823, is a black-smith ; lives at Springfield ; he married Mary Elizabeth Tailor, daughter of John, of Powerville, Morris county.
2. David Alonzo Norris is a blacksmith ; went to Bridgeport, and married Sarah Anne Seely, daughter of Henry Seely, of that place, and lives there.
3. Harriet Louisa Norris, born 29th Nov. 1829, and died 3d February, 1840.
4. Sarah Frances Norris, born 1st January, 1831.
5. Mary Josephine Norris, born 16th February, 1833.
6. John Hunter Norris, born 20th April, 1834.
7. Phebe Martha Norris, born 24th October, 1856.
8. Harriet Jane Norris, born 26th April, 1840.
Joanna Rogers, (6th. child of Catharine Littell and Jabez Rogers,) and Noah Estile, lived near Dover, Morris Co., and had children:
1. Jabez Lewis Estile, who married Dency M. Rose, daughter of David, of Rockaway ; had children : 1. Martha, Estile, who married, 7th April; 1850, Rev. Enoch Green, of the New Jersey Conference; 2. Mary Estile. Mr. Jabez L. Estile died of cholera at Rockaway, 24th June,1849, aged 55 years.
2. John Rogers Estile married Rebecca Bruen, daughter of Samuel, of Newark ; had children : 1. Noah Estile; 2. Mary Estile ; 3. Joseph Estile.
3. Almira Estile married her second cousin, David Littell, son of Enos. son of David. [See Enos Littell.]
4. Stephen Rogers Estile married Margaret Shauger, of Rockaway, and had children : 1. Jane Estile ; 2. Eliza Estile ; 3. Melinda Estile ; 4. Melissa Estile.
5. William Estile married Anne Mariah Lyon, daughter of John Lyon, of Rockaway, and had children : 1. William Henry Estile.
Stephen Rogers, (7th child of Catharine Littell and Jabez Rogers,) and Phebe Baldwin, removed to a farm about four miles north of Seneca Falls, N. Y. He died 1813, aged 40 years, and left children :
1. Jabez ; 2. John.
Susan Rogers, (8th child of Catharine Littell and Jabez Rogers,) and Jacob Hinds, removed to Bristol, Vermont, and had children :
1. Stephen Lewis Hinds, born 28th October, 1796, married, 1st, Weathy Johnson, 2d, Phebe Holt, and had children :1. Miriam Johnson Hinds; 2. Rachel Hinds ; 3. Isaiah Bower Johnson Hinds ; 4. Adelaide Hinds ; 5. Margaret Hinds.
2. Sally Hinds, born 7th October, 1798, and married Miron Sturtevant ; lives near Buffalo, New York, and had five children.
3. Joanna Hinds, born 8th Feb. 1800, married her cousin, Parson Hinds, son of Aaron Hinds, 31st December, 1818, and had one daughter, and died 3d March, 1820.
4. Jacob Hinds, born 28th January, 1804, and died the next day.
5. Moses Rogers Hinds, born 11th May, 1806, and died 25th October following.
6. Persis Urania Hinds, born 12th February, 1812, married, in 1828, William Delany, of Vermont : removed to Piqua, Ohio, and died in. November, 1835, leaving two children.
ELIZABETH LITTELL, (4th child of David, son of Samuel,) and Moses Bedell, had children:
1. Sarah Bedell, who married Thomas Hallock. [See Hallock.]
2. Lydia Bedell, who married Isaac Moore, son of John. [See Moore.] By her second husband, David Van Sickle, she had no children.
DAVID LITTELL, (6th child of David,) was a blacksmith, and lived at Cheapside, in Livingston township ; was a justice of the peace, and an elder in the Hanover church many years. ~ He was born January, 1751, and died 28th December, 1812.
His wife, Hannah Miller, was born 6th October, 1750, and died July, 1831, aged 81 years. They had children :
1. Enos, born 19th May, 1774, and died 19th June, 1848, aged 74 years and 1 month. He married Mary Morehouse, daughter of David, at Canoe Brook.
2. Josiah ; 3. David—who both died young.
4. William, born 29th January, 1778, and died in a fit in his bed; 7th May, 1840. He married Mary Ward, daughter of Joseph, of Northfield, in Livingston ; she died 24th April, 1843, aged 62 years.
5. Andrew, who died 13th August, 1795, aged 23 years, 6 months, and 9 days, unmarried.
6. Rhoda, born 1st December, 1781, and married John Humes ; lives in Newark.
7. Elizabeth, born 30th March, 1784, and married David Whitehead, son of David, son of Deacon David Whitehead, of Elizabethtown ; he was a chairmaker. Mr. Whitehead had a cancer on the side of his nose, by which be suffered greatly many years, and which eventually caused his death.
8. Luther, who married Margaret Wade, daughter of Henry and Dolly Wade, of Livingston.
9. Hannah ; 10. Calvin, who both died young.
ENOS LITTELL, and Mary Morehouse, had children:
1. Hannah, who married, 16th May, 1821, Enos B. Morehouse, son of Jephtha, and died childless.
2. Esther Bedell married, 16th May, 1821, Aaron Morehouse, son of John, of Livngston, and removed to Delaware county, Ohiio, and died 23d September, 1846, leaving children : 1. Elizabeth Morehouse, who married George Mc Masters ; 2. John Morehouse ; 3. Cornelia Morehouse ; 4. William Morehouse ; 5. Sarah Anne Morehouse. ; and six others, making eleven.
3. William, who married, 26th October, 1825, Mary Baldwin, daughter of David, of Livingston ; lives in Newark ; had no children.
4. David. who married his 2d cousin, Almira Estile, daughter of Noah, of near Dover, and had children : 1. Hannah Mariah, born 10th May, 1830 ; 2. Elizabeth Higgins ; 3. William Estile ; 4. Joanna Estile ; 5. Emma ; 6. David ; 7. Almira.
5. Stephen Morehouse Littell married, 23d Sept. 1832, Cornelia A. Baldwin, daughter of Isaac, son of David Baldwin, of Canoe Brook ; lives in Delaware, Ohio, and had children : 1 . William Goldy Littell ; 2. Sarah Frances ; 3. Mary Elizabeth ; 4. Eliza ; 5. Isaac.
6. Enos Whitehead Littell married Sarah Anne Foote, daughter of Capt. Foote, of Connecticut, and had one son, John Foote Littell.
7. Betsey married, 19th June, 1833, Isaac Oakley Higgins, of Newark, and lives there, and had children : 1. Edward Payson Higgins ; 2. Cornelia Littell Higgins ; 3. Mary Elizabeth Higgins.
8. Aaroa Condit Littell married, 20th Nov. 1838, Mary Birt, daughter of Abraham Birt, of Morris county, and had a son, 1. Enos Birt Littell. His wife died 25th Nov. 1839, and he married, 4th April, 1841, her sister, Elizabeth Birt, and had children : 2. James Higgins Littell ; 3. William Littell ; 4. John Wood Littell.
9. Mary married, 22d Nov. 1838, John Wood, an Englishman, lives in Newark, and had children: 1. Frederick Augustus Wood ; 2. Henrietta Wood; 3. John Wood ; 4. Charles Wood.
WILLIAM LITTELL, and Mary Ward, lived at Northfield, and had children :
1. Joseph Ward Littell, born 3d Oat. 1904, and married Locky Force, daughter ofJonathan Force, of Livingston, and had children: 1. Sarah Margaret, born 16th Dec. 1828 ; 2. George Benedict, born 19th June, 1832 ; 3. Josephine, born 11th Sept. 1835.
2. Andrew, who married Locky Harrison, daughter of Capt. Benjamin Harrison, of Hanover, and had 3 children, who all died young.
3. Sarah married Samuel Lynch, of Orange county, New York, and lives there.
4. Charles, who died at 20 years of age.
RHODA LITTELL, (daughter of David,) and John Humes, live in Newark. He is a justice of the peace. They had children :
1. David Littell Humes. He married, and he and his wife both died, and left no children.
2. William Humes, who married Jerusha Thompson, grand-daughter of Judge Thompson, of Mendham, and had children: 1. Charles Humes ; 2. Mary Elizabeth Humes; 3. John Humes.
ELIZABETH LITTELL, (daughter of David,) and David Whitehead, lived in Elizabethtown, and had children :
1. Enos Littell Whitehead, who married Joanna Coleman, of Rahway ; lived in Elizabethtown, and had children : 1. Elizabeth Whitehead, who married John Jones Vanhouten, of Elizabethtown. 2. Mary M. Whitehead married Israel Townley, son of Edward, of Westfield. 3. William M. Whitehead married ______, 4. Theodore F. Whitehead. 5. David Whitehead. 6. Francis L. Whitehead. 7. Julianne Whitehead.
2. John Miller Whitehead married Caroline Parker, of New York, and had children : 1. Louisa M. Whitehead. 2. Hannah F. Whitehead. 3. Eliza T. Whitehead. 4. Alphonso Timolat Whitehead.
3. Susan Brant Whitehead married William B.Todd ; lives is Newark, and had children : 1. David M. Todd. 2. Mariah Jane Todd. 3. Margaret Plum Todd.
4. Hannah Littell Whitehead, who married Victor Fleury, who is a baker at Morristown, and had children: 1. John W. Fleury ; 2. Victor Augustus Fleury; 3. David Whitehead Fleury ; 4. George Wood Fleury.
5. Rhoda Humes Whitehead married Simeon D. Hoagland, son of Cornelius Hoagland, of Elizabethtown, and had children : 1. David Whitehead Hoagland ; 2. Adelaide Smith Hoagland.
LUTHER LITTELL, (son of David,) and Margaret Wade, had children :
1. Abba Louisa, who married Isaac Rogers, and lives in New York, and had children : 1. James Henry Rogers ; 2. Mary Eliza Rogers ; 3. Valentine Eustace Rogers.
2. Rhoda Anne married David Ayers, son of William, son of David Ayers, Esq., of Liberty Corner, lives at Morristown, and had children : 1. Sarah Louisa Ayers ; 2. Malvina Thompson Ayers ; 3, David. Humes Ayers ; 4. Anne Eliza Ayers'; 5. John Littell Ayers.
8. John, who went to the south, and was there drowned ; did not marry.
NATHANIEL LITTELL was son of David, son of Samuel, son of John, son of George Littel, who emigrated from London about 1635. Nathaniel Littell, Esq.. married Mary Cauldwell daughter of William Cauldwell, son of James, who emigrated from Ireland in 1742. He bought the lot of land, in 1786, of John Bedell, on which he built the house in 1787, where his son John now lives, and where he kept a store till he died, the 18th of February, 1811, aged 58 years. He was a justice of the peace, and an elder in the Presbyterian church. Mary, his wife, was born 14th Feb. 1757, and died 8th January, 1823. They had children :
1. John, born 28th November, 1779, married, 6th May, 1809, Mary Conlin, dau , titer of William Conklin, Esq., of Basking Ridge. [See Conklin.]
2. Hugh, born 3d September, 1781, married 22 January, 1814, Susan W. Scudder, daughter of Doctor Benjamin R. Scudder, son. of Richard Scudder. [See Scudder.] He was a master mason in New York, was engaged in the erection of ten brick houses, when, on the 9th of November, 1822, he was ascending a ladder to the upper story of one of them, lost his balance, and fell to the curbstone of the street, broke in his skull, and died immediately. He had no children.
3. Polly, born 10th May, 1783, married, 22d March, 1800, Ebenezer Byram, born 29th April, 1775, son of Naphtali Byram, of Morristown. [See Byram.] Ebenezer Byram, in 1803, removed to Warren Co., Ohio ; had 12 children, and died 12th October, 1821, and she married, 12th April, 1824, Samuel Robison, Esq., and had two other children. They live at New Harrison, Darke county, Ohio.
4. Aaron, born 17th January, 1786, and died 11th February, 1786.
5. Luther, born 20th April, 1787, and died 19th February, 1833, with consumption. He did not marry. He was elected a member of the legislature in 1829, held several of the most important town offices, and was, when he died, a colonel of the militia.
6. Nancy, born 1 th April, 1789, married, 23d November, 1811, Peter Rounsavelle, born 7th July, 1791.
7. Betsey Thompson, born 16th August, 1791, married, 11th March, 1810, Dr. William F: Piatt, born 9th October, 1788, son of Capt. William Piatt, of Scotch Plains. They removed to New York, where she died 29th Nov. 1827 ; and he died 7th May, 1848. [See Sarah Shotwell.]
8. Huldah, born 16th December, 1794, married, 21 at February, 1822, Daniel Price, now of Newark, son of Daniel Price. At the time she married, and some time before, she was a teacher of a school in Elizabethtown. She was taken with fever, and died 15th November, 1822, without children, aged nearly 28 years. Mr. Price married again a niece of Rev. Lewis Bond, of Plainfield, is a varnish manufacturer of Newark, and has no living children.
9. David Cauldwell, born 28th January, 1799, and died 12th November, 1810.
1 JOHN LITTELL, (1st son of Nathaniel, son of David,) lives where his father did, in Passaic Valley, near Littell's Bridge, and with his brother Luther, kept a stare from 1811 to 1828, when they dissolved partnership, and he continued the store alone till 1838, when he sold out the goods to Jonathan Valentine, who continued it till 1839.
He was twice elected to the legislature, viz. 1837 aad 1838 ; was appointed a justice of the peace and judge of the court in 1814, and again appointed justice of the peace in 1828, and continued by reappointments till 1848 ; was then again elected under the new Constitution. and was in 1829 appointed by the legislature a commissioner of deeds, and by successive appointments continued in that office to the present time.
He was elected and installed an elder in the Presbyterian church in 1835, and was appointed one of the delegates of the Presbytery of Elizabethtown to the general assembly of the Presbyterian church, in 1835 at Pittsburgh, and in 1840 and 1846 at Philadelphia and 1851 at St. Louis.
John Littell, (1st child of Nathaniel,) and Mary Conklin, had children :
1. William Conklin, born 15th April, 1810, and died 27th Sept. 1813.
2. Mary, born 29th February, 1812, married 25th July, 1838, Jonathan Valentine, son of Peter D. Valentine, and had children : 1. Samuel Rutan ; 2. Luther Littell ; 3. Eliza Littell ; 4. William, who died in infancy ; 5. John, who died in infancy ; 6. Mary Abigail. [See Valentine.]
3. William, born 10th October, 1815, married, 26th October, 1836, Mehetabel Bonnel, daughter of Jonathan C. Bonnel, son of Nathanie1 Bonner, 3d. [See Bonnel.] He keeps a store at the summit of the Morris and Essex Rail-road, and is Postmaster there.
4. Eliza, born 16th December, 1815, [transcriber's note: if William, #3, was born 19 Oct. 1815, how could Eliza be born 16 Dec. 1815?] married, 9th March, 1842 James K. Hurin, a merchant of Lebanon, Ohio, and went there, and died 19th May, 1843, leaving a young child, named Eliza, who died at three months old, and he again married, 5th June, 1845, Cynthia Halsey. [See Hurin.]
5 Harriet, born 14th November, 1817, married, 16th May, 1848, John T. Wilcox, son of Jonathan M. Willcox, son of Levi, and had a son, George. He kept a store in New Providence Village.
6. Susan, born 27th February, 1820, and married, 1st November, 1851, Charles Whitaker, son of Deacon Stephen Whitaker, of Cleveland, Ohio, and lives there.
7. John, born 30th January, 1822, married, 24th September, 1851, Deborah Hall, born 24th December, 1821, daughter of Jonathan A. Hall, of Penn Yan, N. Y.
8. Luther, born 21st April, 1824; graduated at Princeton College 25th June, 1844, studied theology at the Princeton theological seminary, and was licensed to preach 4th October, 1849, by the Elizabethtown Presbytery, and was ordained to preach the gospel, and installed over the church at Mount Hope, Orange county, New York, the 25th September, 1850, by the Presbytery of Hudson.
9. Huldah Rebecca, born 3d June, 1826, married, 2d May, 1850, to John Thomas, of Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio, and went there. Mr. Thomas was born 20th July, 1822, a lawyer, a son of the Rev. Thomas Thomas, a native of Wales, who graduated at Oxford, England.
10. A daughter not named, born 16th January, 1830, and died the same day.
WILLIAM LITTELL, (son of John, son of Nathaniel,) and Mehetabel Bonnel, lived at Summit, and had children :
1. William Henry, born 2d May, 1840.
2. Theodore, born 14th May, 1844.
3. Frederick Rose, born 12th April, 1847.
4. Julia Smith, born 3d April, 1851.
POLLY LITTELL, (3d child of Nathaniel, son of David,) and Ebenezer Byram, lived in Darke county, Ohio, and had children:
1. Mary Littell Byram, born 22d Dec. 1800, married, 12th March, 1818, James Gregory, and died 16th July, 1827, leaving children : 1. Samuel Gregory, who married Jane Roll, daughter of John and Polly Roll, lives in Montgomery county, Indiana, and had children: 1. ____, who died young. 2. Sarah Gregory, who married John McClure ; lives in Montgomery county, Indiana, and has 4 children. 3. Esther Gregory married William Smith ; lived in Tippecanoe county, Indiana. She died March, 1849, leaving a child 10 days old, named Will Esther. 4. Martha Jane Gregory, born 24th Nov. 1825, married Silas Thomas, son of Samuel Thomas ; lives near Troy, Miami county, Ohio.
2. Abby Hedges Byram, born 19th August, 1802, and died 12th April, 1805.
3. Eliza Ogden Byram, born 25th Nov. 1804, married, 27th Dec. 1824, Thomas Barnes, son of Jared, and had children : 1. Mary Elizabeth Barnes married, 8th May, 1845, Derick Lamer. She had a child the 8th Jan. 1847, and died the 9th, and the child the 10th, and both buried in one grave. 2. Sarah Jane Barnes, born 1827, and died at about 5 years. 3. Ebenezer Byram Barnes, born August, 1831. 4. Huldah Anne Barnes, born August, 1832, married, March, 1850, James Custons, an Englishman by birth, brought up near Poughkeepsie, New York. 5. Harriet Barnes died in childhood. 6. Rachel Barnes died in infancy. 7. Susan Barnes died in infancy. 8. Martha Barnes, born 1837. 9. James Barnes 10. Harriet Barnes. 11. Caroline Barnes.
4. Nancy Littell Byram, born 8th Oct. 1806, and died 25th of the same month.
5. Amy Hedges Byram, born 16th Sept. 1807, married, 17th March, 1830, Amos Barnes, brother of Thomas, and died 1st Oct. 1847, leaving 4 children : 1. Jared Barnes, born 1st Jan. 1833. 2. Lewis Byram Barnes, born July, 1835. 3. John Barnes, born July, 1837. 4. Elizabeth Barnes, born July, 1839.
6. Silas Condit Byram, born 2d Sept. 1809, married 7th April, 1831, Mary Clark, daughter of John, son of Thomas Clark and Rebecca Lyon, daughter of Joseph Lyon. [See Joseph Lyon.] He lives near Hill Grove, Darke County, Ohio, and had children : 1. Sarah Byram, born 7th [or17th] Feb. 1832. 2. Mary Elizabeth Byram, born 49th Aug. 1834 3. Amy Jane Byram, born 8th March, 1837. 4. Anne Byram, born 19th April, 1839. 5. Eliza Mariah Byram, born 10th Sept. 1841, and died 9th Jan. 1843. 6. Harriet Byram, born 8th Feb. 1844. 7. Susan Byram, born 17th Sept. 1847.
7. Lewis Naphtali Byram, born 9th Nov. 1811, married, 3d March, 1836, Elizabeth McAnulty; lives in Randolph county, Indiana, and had children : 1. Martha Jane Byram, born 17th July, 1837. 2. James Byram, born 9th Dec. 1838. 3. David Byram, born 19th July, 1840. 4. William Courtney Byram, born June, 1842, and died in infancy. 5. John Littell Byram, born 20th Jan. 1848. 6. Mary Ellen Byram, born 5th August, 1849.
8. Nathaniel Littell Byram, born 3d Jan. 1814, married, 24th April, 1837, his cousin, Mary Byram, daughter of Silas C. Byram, son of Naphtali, and had a daughter, Harriet Byram, who lives with her relative, the Rev. David Holliday, at Peekskill, New York, [see Byram,] and also a son, William Nathaniel Byram, who died Nov. 1841, aged 4 months. He died 8th Sept. 1841, of consumption. His wife, Mary, died 20th July, 1847.
9. John Littell Byram, born 25th May, 1816, married, 9th Nov. 1839, Lucinda Manuel, daughter of Philip ; lives in Marion, Grant county, Indiana, and had children : 1. Silas Byram, born 15th June, 1841. 2. Mary Jane Byram, born 3d June, 1845. 3. John Franklin Byram, born 9th July, 1848.
10. James Gregory Byram, twin to David Clark, born 18th August, 1818, and died by accident, 10th May, 1822. (He fell off the fence, and pulled a rail down upon him.)
11. David Clark Byram, born 18th August, 1818, married April, 1836, Eliza Law ; lives near Hill Grove, Darke Co. Ohio, and had children : 1. Milton Wesley Byram ; 2. Ezra Potter Byram ; 3. Clark Greenwood Byram ; 4. Newton Byram ; 5. Mary Byrom ; 6. Mariah Byram.
NOTE, .- Eliza Law was daughter of Francis Law, who married Catherine Simpson, daughter of James, who married Jane Vansickle, sister of John and Abrahtun Vansickle, of Trenton, Ohio. [.See Joseph Crane].
12 Susan Littell Byram, born 25th April, 1821, and died 17th May, 1823.
And by Samuel Robison, Esq., Polly Littell had children;
13. Robert Luther Robison, born 16th December, 1824, and married, 6th May. 1845, Lavina Frybarger, daughter of John Jacob Frybarger, and had children : 1. Sarah Anne Robison, born 13th May, 1846. 2. Mary Ellen Robison, born 5th September, 1849.
14. Samuel Hervy Robison, born 10th May. 1827.
NANCY LITTELL. (6th child of Nathaniel, son of David) and Peter Rounsavelle had children :
1. David Cauldwell Littell Rounsavelle, born 5th December, 1812, and married Mary Parsons, born 16th April, 1807, daughter of Jonathan, and had children : 1. Dayton Rounsavelle, born 18th October, 1834. 2. Charles Rounsavelle, born 21st June, 1837, and died 10th March,. 1838. His wife Mary died 20th October, 1840, and he married, 15th April, 1841, Sarah S. Whitson, born 19th June, 1814, daughter of David Whitson, of Baltimore, and had children : 3. David Whitson Rounsavelle, born 11th July, 1843. 4. William Littell Rounsavelle, born 7th May, 1845. 5. Charles Emory. Rounsavelle, born 28th April, 1849.
David C. L. Rounsavelle lives in Baltimore.
2. Hugh Rounsavelle, who died in infancy.
3. Mary, born 3d September, 1820, and died 22d March, 1822. Mrs. Nancy Rounsavelle died 23d December, 1822, and Peter immediately left this region of country.
BETSEY T. LITTELL, (7th child of Nathaniel, son of David,) and Doctor William F. Piatt, lived in New York, and had children : 1. Marian Milnor Piatt, born 9th July, 1811, married, 13th November, 1827, Joel Wilson, son of John Wilson, Esq., of Plainfield, arid had children :
1. William Piatt Wilson, born 13th February, 1829.
2. Mercy Wilson, born 24th March, 1831.
3. Eliza Wilson, born 26th November, 1833.
Mrs. Mariah A. Wilson died 4th August, 1834, and Joel Wilson married again, and lives in Rahway.
2. James Mortimer Piatt, born 17th July, 1814, went to sea and did not return.
Mrs. Betsey T. or Eliza T. Platt died, and Docter Piatt married, 2d, Caroline Kempton„ widow of Captain Kempton, and had a daughter Eliza or Lizzy C. K. Piatt, who is now teaching in a private family in New York. Dr. W. F. Platt died 7th May, 1848. His 2d wife died previous to his death.
JONATHAN LITTELL, (10th child of Samuel, 1st, of N. J.,) had 4 sons.
1. Henry, who it is said married, and lived in the northern part of Morris county.
2. Jonathan, who married Phebe Clark, sister or daughter of Isaac Clark, of Scotch Plains. 3. Cornelius, who married, 1st. Susannah Tucker, daughter of John Tucker, of Stony Hill, and had 2 children ; 2d, Martha Drake, and had 3 other children : Keziah, James, and Martha.
4. William, who married Phebe Meeker, daughter of John Meeker, of Scotch Plains, and had 7 children.
JONATHAN LITTELL, (son of Jonathan,) and Phebe P. Clark, had 5 children, viz :
1. Hannah, who married Hugh Drake, son of Andrew, of Plainfield.
2. Henry married Betsey Hedges, daughter of Benjamin, of Stony Hill.
3. Nancy married Charles Rino, who lived north of Green Brook, near Scotch Plains.
4 Phebe married Bruen Brown, a Baptist minister, and went to Washington city.
5. Joanna, who went with her sister to Washington city.
HANNAH LITTELL, (1st child of Jonathan and Phebe Clark,) and Hugh Drake, lived at Plainfield, and had children :
1. Nancy Drake, who married Jonathan Randolph, son of Barzilla, of Plainfield.
2. Jacob Drake, who married Eliza Maloy.
3. Phebe Drake married Elkana Randolph.
4. Aaron Drake married Phebe Frazee, daughter of Moses, son of Henry Frazee.
5. John Drake married Henrietta Martin, daughter of Jonathan.
6. Mary Drake married John Briant, of Springfield.
Nancy Drake, (1st child of Hugh Drake and Hannah Littell,) and Jonathan Randolph, had children :
1. Barzilla Randolph, who married Mary Dunn, of Piscataway.
2. Hannah Anne Randolph married James Ayres, of New Market.
3. Emeline D. Randolph married David Dunham, of Piscataway.
4. Daniel Randolph.
Jacob Drake, (2d child of Hugh Drake and Hannah Littell,) and Eliza Maloy, had children :
1. Mary Drake ; 2. Caroline Drake.
Aaron Drake, (4th child of Hugh Drake and Hannah Littell,) and Phebe Frazee, had children :
1. Adelia Drake ; 2. Randolph Drake ; 3. Sarah Drake; 4. Louisa Drake ; 5. Henry Drake.
HENRY LITTELL, (2d child of Jonathan Littell and Phebe Clark,) and Betsey Hedges, had children :
1. William, who married Nancy Wilcox, daughter of William, son of Noah.
2. Hedges, who went to the Genesee Valley, N. Y. and married, and had one child. He and his wife and child all died near together, with fever, in 1847.
WILLIAM LITTELL, (son of Henry,) and Nancy Cox, lived in Westfield. near the Branch Mill, and had children :
1. Mary, who married Rev. Reuben Porter, a Baptist minister, son of Reuben.
3. Henry married Sarah Rino, daughter of Ephraim.
4. Charlotte, born 3d September, 1829.
NANCY LITTELL, (3d child of Jonathan Littell and Phebe Clark,) and Charles Rino, had children :
1. Betsey Rino.
2. Dunham Rino.
3. Hugh Rino, who married, and lives in Rahway.
4. Amos Rino.
5. Phebe Rino.
6. Mary Rino.
7. Sarah Rino.
8. Rebecca Rino.
9. John Rino married and went to Albany, and died.
10. Charles Rino, who died in infancy.
Charles Rino's wife Nancy then died, and he married, 2d, Mary Marsh, daughter of Isaac Marsh, of Scotch Plains, and had 11 other children, viz. :
11. Charles Rino, 2d, who married Mary Van Sickle, of Elizabethtown.
12. Ephraim Rino, who went to New Orleans.
13. Anson Rino married Nancy —, of New York.
14. Jedediah Rino married Georgiana Webber, of New York.
15. George Rino mrried Anne Darlin, of New York.
16. Hannah Rino married Amos Willcox, son of Cornelius, and had children : 1. Benjamin Sayre Willcox ; 2. Irene Willcox.
17. Thomas Rino.
18. William Henry Rino.
19. Alva Rino.
20. Abigail Rino.
21. Abilear Rino.
CORNELIUS LITTELL, (3d son of Jonathan, son of Samuel,) by his first wife, Susannah Tucker, had children :
1. Catherine, who married Samuel Frazee in Ohio, and had 10 children.
2. Rebecca married John Murdock in Ohio, and had 4 children.
NOTE.—Robecca Murdock was drowned about 1820, in crossing a creek near Cincinnati, and Mr. Murdock removed, I have not learned where.
And by his second wife, Martha Drake, Cornelius Littell had 3 children :
3. Keziah married Moses Larew, and lived near West Chester, Ohio. He died about 1830, leaving 6 children, Amos, Mahlon, and Moses Larew, and Martha, Rebecca, and Jane Larew.
4. James Manning, who married Betsey Larew, sister of Moses Larew, Keziah's husband.
5. Martha, who married Jacob Rudasille.
CATHERINE LITTELL, (daughter of Cornelius,) and Samuel Frazee, had children :
1. Hannah Frazee, who married John Spivey ; lives at Connersville, Indiana.
2. Rebecca Frazee, born 23d August, 1805, married Garret Vleit, from Sussex ; lives near Milwaukie, Wisconson. He has been considerably engaged in government surveying. They had children : 1. John B. Vleit, born 26th April, 1822, married, July, 1846, Manica Caroline Coon ; has no children. His business is engineering in Milwaukie. 2. Jasper Vleit, born 3d April, 1824. He is engineer on the Milwaukie and Mississippi Railroad. 3. William Vleit, born 4th May, 1827. is a farmer. 4. Abraham Vleit, born 5th August, 1829, is with John, engineering.
3. Susan Frazee married. 1st, David Place, and removed to De Witt Clinton county, Michigan. Mr. Place died about 1832, leaving 4 children : 1. Catherine Place married, October, 1846, George Sercomb, and had children : 1. George Orville Sercomb - 2. Caroline Vleit Sercomb. 2. Caroline Place. twin to Catherine. 3. Mary Anne Pace. 4. Rebecca Place.
After the death of Mr. Place, Susan Frazee married, 2d, Henry Moore, and had children : 5. Harriet Moore; 6. John Moore ; 7. Charles Moore ; and 3 others.
4. Cornelius Frazee married Rosannah Spivey ; lives at Rossville, Ohio.
5. William Frazee married Fanny Bold, and soon after died, without children.
6. Samuel Frazee died in Indiana, unmarried.
7. Catherine Frazee married William Boice, lives at Hartford, Blackford county, Indiana, and had 7 children.
8. Keziah Frazee married John Petro, lives in Shelby county, Illinois. and has children : 1. Cynthia Jane Petro ; 2. Catherine Petro.
9. John T. Frazee married Julianne Conover, lives in Fayette county, Illinois, and had children : 1. Catherine Frazee ; 2. Harrison Frelinghuysen Frazee ; 3. Jasper Frazee : 4. Rebecca Frazee.
10. Martha Jane Frazee married Stephen Riggs, lives in Fayette county, Illinois, and had children : 1. Elbridge Riggs ; 2. Mired Riggs ; 3. Albert Riggs.
KEZIAH LITTELL, (3d child of Cornelius,) and Moses Larew, had children:
1. Amos Larew, who married Rosannah Huffman, had but one son, Henry Marion Larew.
2. Mahlon Larew married Bridget Humes, and had children: 1. John Larew ; 2. Lauretta Larew ; 3. Augustus Larew.
3. Moses Lirew married Amy Anne Morris, and has no children.
4. Martha Larew married Joseph Gorman, and had 8 children: 1. Elizabeth Gunnan ; 2. Keziah Gorman; 3. Sephronia Gorman ; 4. William Gorman ; 5. Amanda Gorman ; 6. Matilda Gorman ; 7. Amos Gorman ; 8. Joseph Wilson Gorman.
Keziah Gorman, daughter of Joseph, married Andrew Norris, and had children : 1. Hannah Norris ; 2. William Henry Norris ; 3. Martha Anne Norris ; 4. Robert Benjamin Norris.
5. Rebecca Larew married William Voorhees, and had children: 1. Decamp Voorhees ; 2. John Voorhees ; 3. Harriet Voorhees.
6. Jane Larew married Thomas Gaffner. and had children: 1. Owen Larew Gaffner ; 2. Thomas Martin Gaffner.
WILLIAM LITTELL, (4th son of Jonathan, son of Samuel, 1st,) and Priebe Meeker, had children ; he removed to Sussex county in 1800.
1. John Meeker, who married, 1st, Catherine Bedell, daughter of Abraham, son of Jacob Bedell ; 2d. Betsey Polhemus, of Sussex.
2. Polly married Jacob B. Maxwell, son of John, son of John Maxwell.
3. Elias married, 1st, Mary Collins, of Sussex ; 2d, Lydia, a widow, whose maiden name was Lydia Doremus. She died 6th July, 1850, aged 62 years.
4 Hiram married Peggy Stanbury, daughter of Capt. Jacob Stanbury, of Scotch Plains.
5. Nancy married, 1st, James McPeek, son of Jonathan McPeek, of Sussex ; 2d, John Osborn Maxwell, brother of Jacob B. Maxwell, above named.
6. Sally married Benjamin McPeek, brother of James, above named.
7. Linus married, 1st, Miss ____ Stites, of Elizabethtown ; 2. Joanna Crane, of Lyons Farms.
JOHN MEEKER LITTELL, (son of William, son of Jonathan,) and Catlierine Bedell, had children :
1. Lucinda, will died a young woman, unmarried.
2. Betsey, who married Alexander Hamilton Davis, of Newark.
3. Rachel went to the lakes, N. Y., and married there.
4. Phebe went also to the lakes, N. Y., and married there.
5. Elias married _____ ; lives in New York.
6 Hiram married Phebe and Mary -, sisters ; lives in N Y.
And by his 2d wife, Betsey Polhemus, he had other children :
7. Catherine, who married _____; lives in Newark.
9. Cornelius, who died in infancy.
10. Cornelius, 2d, born after his father's death.
John M. Littell died of the cholera at Patterson, in 1832.
ELIAS LITTELL, (3d child of William Littell, son of Jonathan,) and Mary Collins, lived in Bloomfield, and had children :
1. Mary, who married John Doremus, brother of his father's 2d wife.
2. John Collins Littell married Lucetta Woodruff, daughter of Flavel, of Madison. He is a tailor in Newark, and had children : 1. William Britton Littell 2. Mary Collins Littell ; 3. John Collins Littell ; 4. Rhoda Woodruff Littell.
3. William, who married Emma Hedenburg, daughter of Edward L. Hedenburg, of Newark. He is a carriage maker of Newark, and had children : 1. William ; 2. Emma S.
And by his 2d wife, Lydia, Elias Littell had a son, _____.
HIRAM LITTELL, (4th child of William, son of Jonathan,) and Peggy Stanbury, had one daughter. 1. Margaret, who married Mr. Balies, of Newark.
NANCY LITTELL, (5th child of William, son of Jonathan,) and James McPeek, lives at Lafayette, Sussex county, and had but one child, 1. William McPeek.
SALLY LITTELL, (6th child of William, son of Jonathan,) and Benjamin McPeek, had children :
1. Mary McPeek : 2. Catherine MePeek ; 3. Phebe McPeek : 4. Sarah Elizabeth MePeek 5. Whitefield McPeek ; 6. Margaret McPeek ; and three others who died young, two of them 1st Aug. 1844.
LINUS LITTELL, (7th child of William, son of Jonathan,) had children :
1. William ; 2. Stiles ; 3. Elizabeth.
NATHANIEL LITTELL is said by John Littell, his grandson, to be brother or rather that Nathaniel Littell, Jun., was cousin to John Littell, of Westfield ; therefore Nathaniel Littell, Sen., was son of Samuel.
Nathaniel Littell, son of Samuel, married Susan Colie, of Springfield, thought to be a sister of Daniel Colie; he had children :
2. William, who died a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
3. James married Jane Dumont, of Somerset county ; lived near Green Brook, Piscataway.
4. John, who went to near Cherry Valley, New York, and settled there.
5. Benjamin married and had but one child, Susan, who married and went to French Creek.
6. Noah married Jane Gildersleeve, and lived at Jefferson Village, Essex county.
7. Nathaniel married Catherine Corsner, of Monmouth county.
8. Aaron married Sarah Dickerson, and lived in Elizabethtown, and died without children.
9. Mary, who married Hobart Jewel, of Sodom, Essex county.
HENRY LITTELL, (1st child of Nathaniel, son of Samuel, 1st,) had children :
1. Jonathan, who married Susan Steinbeck, daughter of Jacob, a German, and lived at Cheapside.
2. William, who had a large red mark on the side of his face. He married Jan Smith, daughter of Uriah, of Cauldwell, and had children : 1. Mary ; 2. John ; and then removed to Indiana.
3. Abby married Samuel Lyon, son of Moses, of Short Hills.
4. Hannah married John Smith.
5. Susan married John Tailor, son of William, of Springfield.
6. Polly married John Sip, lived in Newark, and both died there, leaving two children: 1. William Sip ; 2. Matilda Sip.
7. Nancy married Richard Swain, of Springfield.
JONATHAN LITTELL, (1st child of Henry, son of Nathaniel,) and Susan Steinbeck, lived at Cheapside, and had children :
1. Betsey, who died a young woman, unmarried.
2. Phebe, who married John Drew, Jun., son of John Drew, of W. 0. Ridge, and had children : 1. Charlotte Drew ; 2. Teresse Drew ; 3. Elizabeth Drew ; 4. John Drew ; 5. Phebe.Drew.
3 Mary married Noah Stiles, Jun., son of Noah, of Connecticut, and had children ; 1. Emma Stiles; 2. Edward Stiles ; 3. Adolphus Stiles.
4. Sally married Mervin Stiles, brother of Noah, Jun., and had children : 1. Laban Stiles ; 2. Walter Stiles ; 3. Montgomery Stiles ; 4. Sarah Jane Stiles.
5. John, who died at 3 years.
6. Jane married William Stiles, brother of Noah and Mervin, and had children : 1. Mary Stiles ; 2. John Lyon Stiles ; 3. Cornelia Stiles ; 4. Susan Stiles ; 5. Louisa Stiles ; 6. William Stiles.
7. Susan married Daniel Van Wert, from Connecticut, and had children : 1. Caleb Van Wert ; 2. John Van Wert.
8. Vashti Budd Littell married Aaron S. Ross, son of Aaron F. Ross, of White Oak Ridge, and had a son, William Augustus Ross.
9. Frances, who married Baldwin Townley, of Livingston, and had a daughter, Elizabeth Townley.
ABBY LITTELL, (3d child of Henry,) and Samuel Lyon, had children :
1. John Lyon ; 2. Mary Lyon ; 3. Sally Lyon ; 4. William Lyon ; 5. Esther Lyon; 6. Caroline Lyon.
HANNAH LITTELL, (4th child of Henry,) and John Smith, had children :
1. Charlotte Smith ; 2. David Smith ; 3. Caleb Smith ; 4. Caroline Smith; 5. Matilda Smith.
JAMES LITTELL, (3d child of Nathaniel, son of Samuel. 1st,) and Jane Dumont, lived near Greon [sp?] Brook, in Middlesex county, and had children :
1. Richard Dumont Littell, who married three sisters, 1st, Margaret Eliza Dunn ; 2d, Anne Mariah Dunn ; 3d, Rebecca Dunn, daughters of Judge Dunn, of Staten Island, and lives there, and by his first wife has children : 1. Jane Johannah Dumont Littell. 2. John Dumont Littell, who is a lawyer ; lives at Hoboken, and married the only daughter of Smith Bloomfield, and has a daughter, born 1849.
By his 2d wife, Anne Mariah, he had no living children. By his 3d wife, Rebecca, he had 7 children : 3. Margaret Eliza. 4. Mary Louisa. 5. Emma. 6. Richard Dumont Littell, born /R49 ; and 3 others, who have died.
2. William, who lived on Staten Islard and married Miss Farmer, near New Brunswick, N.J., and soon after his marriage, in attempting to cross the Freshkill Creek, on his way to visit his wife, was drowned. After his death, his widow had a son, William, born about 1828 or 1830.
3. Margaret married Mr. Broadhead, and both died, leaving no children.
4. Rachel married Edlward Sprague, from Long Island, and had a son, William Sprague, born about 1840.
NOAH LITTELL, (son or Nathaniel, son of Samuel, 1st,) and Jane Gildersleeve, lived at Jefferson Village, and had children:
1. Nathaniel B., who married Hannah Crowe!, daughter of Sylvanus.
2. David married Mary Anne McDonald, daughter of John, from Ireland.
3. Polly married Richard Crowel, son of Daniel, of W. 0. Ridge
4. Phebe married, 1st, Abraham Baker; 2d, Gilbert Rindell.
5. Smith, who was accidentally hung on a ladder in his father's barn, at about 17 years of age.
NATHANIEL B. LITTELL. (son of Noah,) and Hannah Crowel, lived at Jefferson Village, and had children:
1. Smith, who married Abby Neely, of Cherry Valley, Essex Co., and had children: 1. Smith ; 2. Andrew.
2. Mary Jane married Baxter Wilkison, son of Crowel, and had children : 1. Hannah Frances Wilkison ; 2. Joseph Wilkison ; 3. Samuel Wilkison.
3. Noah, who died, at about 24 years, unmarried.
4. Moses, born 6th Aug. 1829, married, 1850, Eliza Kinnan.
DAVID LITTELL, (son of Noah,) and Mary Anne McDonald, had children :
1. John Smith .Littell, who married Amanda Miller, and had a daughter, Adaline Littell.
2. Levi Clark Littell.
3. Abraham Baker Littell.
4. Frances Denman Littell, who died Oct. 1847, aged 14 years.
POLLY LITTELL, (daughter of Noah,) and Richard Crowel, lives in Ohio, and has children :
1. Rebecca Crowel, who married Isaac Ross, of South Orange.
2. Louisa Crowel married _____.
3. Daniel Crowel married _____.
4. Moses Crowel.
5. Aaron Crowel.
6 Phebe Crowel.
PHEBE LITTELL, (daughter of Noah,) and Abraham Baker, had a daughter, 1. Mary Baker, who marrird David Mitchell, and by Gilbert Rindell she had children 2. Susan Brant Rindell, 3. Sarah Pierson Rindell. 4. Gilbert Rindell. 5. Robert Rindell. 6. Phebe Jane Rindell.
NATHANIEL LITTELL, Jun., (7th son of Nathaniel, son of Samuel, 1st,) and Catherine Corsner, lived at Green Brook, and had children:
1. John, born 14th May, 1781, and married Mercy Williamson, daughter of James, of Plainfield, and lived on the first mountain, above Bound Brook.
2. James married Mary Winans, daughter of Winant Winans, and went to Middletown, Ohio, and died there.
3. Griffin was a soldier in the war of 1812 ; taken prisoner at Hull's surrender, and never returned. He did not marry.
4. William went to Illinois ; married Nancy Glasgow, and died there in Sept. 1850, leaving children : 1. Mary. who married Willard W. How ; lives at Toledo ; 2. Elizabeth Littell.
5. Benjamin married Mary Compton, daughter of James Compton, of Liberty Corner.
6. Aaron married Jane Brown, daughter of Stephen, of .Washington Valley, and had children, Stephen and others, and removed to Mason county, Illinois.
7. Hannah married Henry Jamison, of Spottswood ; lives near John Littell, her brother.
JOHN, LITTELL, (son of Nathaniel, Jun., son of Nathaniel,) and Mercy Williamson, had children :
1. Nancy, who married Benjamin Willcox, son of Benjamin. [See Willcox.]
2. Susan married Joseph B. Morrison, and had children; 1. Mary Elizabeth Morrison ; 2. William Henry Morrison ; 3. Gilbert Morrison 4. George Morrison.
3. Caty married James Watts, son of Robert, of Middlebrook, and had children : 1. Mary Anne Watts ; 2. James Runyon Watts ; 3. Mary Watts ; 4. George Watts.
4. Mary married Isaac Clark, of Rahway, and had children : 1. James Henry Clark ; 2. Jane Emily Clark; 3. Mary Elizabeth Clark ; 4. Charlotte Clark.
5. Benjamin married Martha Millegan, daughter of William. He lived on the first mountain, above Bound Brook, and had children : 1. Jane Anne ; 2. Margaret Ellen ; 3. Mary Louisa.
6. Israel married Sarah Sickles, daughter of Isaac, of Rahway, and had children: 1. Lewis Edward.
8. Abby Eliza.
JAMES LITTELL, (2d son of Nathaniel, Jun.,) and Mary Winans, lived in Middletown, Ohio, and had children :
1. William, who married Sarah Burge, daughter of Anthony, and had children : 1. Drusilla ; 2. Francis ; 3. Theodore.
2. Winans married Huldah Noble, daughter of Anthony, and had children: 1. William ; 2. Mary. He lives in Lafayette.
3. Catherine, or Kate.
4. Caroline married Isaac Hand, son of Ira, son of Daniel, a brother of Col. Aaron Hand, of Springfield, and had children : 1. Mary Hand ; 2. Ellen Hand. [See Hand.]
6. Sarah married William Mitchel, and had a daughter, Emma.
BENJAMIN LITTELL, (5th son of Nathaniel, Jun.,) and Mary Compton, had children:
1. James ; 2. Catherine ; 3. Margaret Anne ; 4. Edith ; 5. Hannah ; .6. Harriet, twin to Hannah ; 7. William.
HANNAH LITTELL, (7th child of Nathaniel, Jun.,) and Henry Jemison, had children:
1. Nathaniel Jemison ; 2. Catherine Jemison ; 3. Rebecca Anne Jemison ; 4. Henry Jemison ; 5. John Jennison ; 8. Aaron Jemison ; 7. Mary Jane Jernison ; 8. Sarah Jemison ; 9. Albert Jemison.
JOHN LONG was a saddler, lived on Stony Hill, married Susannah Valentine, daughter of Jonah Valentine, and had children :
1. Levi, who married Abby Bond, daughter of Thomas, of Lyons Farms.
2. Catherine married Benjamin Swain, son of Jacob, of Wolf Hill. [See Swain.]
3. Susannah married, 1st, John Caffrey, from Ireland ; 2d, Enoch Vreeland.
4. Michael married. 25th Dec. 1810, Lockey Stewart.
5. Joseph married Betsey Wilkison, daughter of Nathan.
6. Israel B., barn 1803, married, 21st August, 1822, Polly Brown, daughter of William.
LEVI LONG, and Abby Bond, had children: 1. Marcus ; 2. William; 3. Mary; 4. Hetty.
CATHERINE LONG, and Benjamin Swain, had children:
1. Hannah .Swain, who married William McDonald, of Monmouth county, and had children : 1. Joseph McDonald ; 2. William McDonald, Jun.; 3. Thompson McDonald ; 4. Benjamin McDonald; 5. Elizabeth McDonald.
2. John Swain married ______, at Rahway, and went to the lakes.
3. Polly Swain married Abraham Simonson, and had children: 1. William Simonson; 2. Joseph Simonson; and others who died. And Abraham Simonson died, and she married Ephraim Howard, and lives at Scotch Plains.
4. Eliza Swain married James Curtis, son of John. [See Betsey Frazee and Jain Curtis.]
5. Jonah Swain married Jane Ward, daughter of Israel, son of Joshua. He left her and went to the South, and died at 21 or 22 years.
6. Joel Swain, who married a daughter of Charles Rino.
7. William Swain married in Pennsylvania.
SUSANNAH LONG, and John Caffrey, had children :
1. Lucy Caffrey, who married David Edwards.
2. Barnabas Caffrey, who married in Hanover.
3. Edward Caffrey.
4. Philip Caffrey.
5. John Caffrey.
6. James Caffrey.
7. Mary Caffrey.
8. Jane Caffrey, who died at 18 years.
MICHAEL LONG, and Lockey Stewart, had children:
1. Susan, who went to Ohio.
2. Phebe, who married Elias Clark, son of David, son of Elias, Sen. She was accidentally shot, and died of the wound.
3. Hetty married Mr. Vreeland, of Newark.
4. John married Hetty Vreeland, daughter of Charles, of Springfield.
Mr. Michael Long died 5th March, 1833.
JOSEPH LONG, and Harriet Wilkison, had children:
1. Harriet, born 15th June, 1828, married John Meeker, son of Aaron, of Springfield.
2. William Henry, born 16th March, 1830.
3. Mary Elizabeth, born 25th Jan. 1832, married William Burnet, son of Timothy, of Union.
Mr. Joseph Long died 3d March, 1831.
ISRAEL B. LONG, and Polly Brown, had children:
1. Sally, who married Alexander Baker, son of Samuel, of Elizabethtown.
2. Catherine married David Curtis, son of John. [See Asa Frazee and Curtis.]
4. Samuel, born 1830.
5. George, born 8th Sept. 1832, and died 15th Aug. 1849.
6. Jacob, born 1835.
7. Lydia Anne, born 1837.
8. Susan, bora 1839.
9. Hetty, born 1843.
10. Caroline, born 1845.
11. Mary Frances, born 28th June, 1847, and died 8th August, 1849.
JEREMIAH LUDLOW lived in New Providence, where James M. Morehouse now lives. He died 1st August, 1764, aged 67 years. His widow died 12th March, 1790, aged 91 years. They had two children :
1. Jeremy, who married Elizabeth Doty, daughter of Joseph Doty, 1st. He lived where Jacob Davis Mulford now lives, in Passaic Valley, Morris county, and had children : 1. Deborah, who married Jonathan Mulford, son of Captain Jonathan. [See Mulford.] 2. Joseph, who married, 8th January, 1784, Chloe Bedell, [see Jennings,] lived where his father did, and subsequently removed to Western New York. 3. Mercy, who married Dr. John Hole, son of Charles, [see Hole,] and removed to Ohio, a few miles below Dayton. 4. A daughter, who had a daughter, who married Samuel Muchmore, of Madison.
2. Cornelius, who lived on Long Hill, and became a Colonel of the militia in Morris county. He married, 1st,- Catherine Cooper, daughter of Daniel Cooper, Sen., and had one son ; 2d, Martha Lyon, and had six other children—she died 9th October, 1790 ; 3d, Polly Wall. He died 27th April, 1812, aged 84 years.
COL. CORNELIUS LUDLOW, (son of Jeremiah,) and his 1st wife, Catherine Cooper, had but one child :
1. John, who married, 19th October, 1772, 1st, Catherine Cooper, his cousin, daughter of Daniel Cooper, Jun., and had five children.
2d wife, Susan Demun, daughter of John, and had six other children:
2. Agnes, who married, 15th Oct. 1774, Jonathan Pierson.
3. Patty, who married William Remsen, of Elizabethtown.
4. Benjamin, who became Major General of the militia of New Jersey. He married Eleanor Harris, daughter of Benjamin Harris, of Morris county, and sister of the wife of John McCarter.
5. Israel, who married Charlotte Chambers, of Chambersburgh, Penn. He went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and was one of the surveyors of Symmes' Purchase, between the two Miami rivers, before 1800.
6. Elizabeth, who married Col. Israel Day, son of Timothy, of Chatham. [See Day.]
7. William, who married Betsey Haines, daughter of Samuel Haines, of Vealtown, and sister of Ruth, 2d wife of Nathaniel Whitaker ; and removed to Mill Creek, Ohio ; had six or more children ; removed to Oxford, Butler county, and was superinterident of the building of the college there. His children were named : 1. Israel; 2. Samuel; 3. Betsey ; and others.
JOHN LUDLOW, (1st child of Col. Cornelius Ludlow,) and Catherine Cooper, had children, who all married in Ohio:
1. Sarah married John Lyon, and had no children.
2. Agnes married Silas Hurin, son of Seth. [See Hurin.]
3. Stephen married, 1st, Jane Porter; 2d, Le Anne Bell.
4. Cooper married, 1st, Elizabeth Reeder, daughter of Jacob ; 2d, Elizabeth Layton, daughter of Judge Layton, of Mad River.
5. Lydia married Ogden Ross, son of Matthias, formerly of Springfield.
His wife Catherine then died, and by his 2d wife, Susan Demun, he had other children :
6. William married Charlotte Hand, daughter of John Hand, from Morris county.
7. Betsey married Matthew Patten, of Dayton.
8. Mary married Alexander Pendery.
9. Martha died at 15 years.
10. Susan married, 1st, Stephen Cummings ; 2d, David Bingham, son of David.
11. John married Hetty Niles.
12. Ruth married James Baxter.
13. Catherine married John Long.
John Ludlow removed to Ohio about 1790, or shortly after, with his family, and lived near White's Station, on Mill Creek, in Hamilton county.
STEPHEN LUDLOW, (1st son of John, son of Col. Cornelius,) and Jane Porter, had children :
1. Oliver, who married Miss ____ Conwell.
2. Mary Anne, who died at 14 years.
3. Catherine, who died at 13 years.
4. John is unmarried.
COOPER LUDLOW, (2d son of John, son of Cornelius,) had children :
1. Ellen, who married _____ ; 2. Stephen married _____. 3. John married Elmira ____ 4. Mary Anne.
LYDIA LUDLOW, (5th child of John, son of Col. Cornelius,) and Ogden Ross, had children :
1. Mary Ross, who married Joseph Gaston, had a son, John Gaston, and died.
2. Martha Catherine Ross married William Bigham, son of David, and had children : 1. Lydia Bigham ; 2. John R. Bigham, 3. Caroline Bigham ; 4. Ross Bigham ; 5. Darwin Bigham ; 6. George Bigham.
3. Caroline Ross married Chamberlain Andrew, and had a son, John Andrew.
4. Sarah Ross married James Andrew.
5. John Ross lives at Lowell, Mass., and married Fanny Waldrin, of Boston.
6. Charlotte Ross married John Matthews, and had childen : 1. Louisa Matthews ; 2. Jenny Matthews.
7. Harriet Ross.
8. Denman Ross lives at Lowell, Mass. ; married Mary Waldron of Boston.
9. Jane Ross married Holland Smith, and had a daughter, Jenny Smith, who died young.
10. Lydia Ross married Cyrus Warren.
WILLIAM LUDLOW, (6th child or John, son of Col. Cornelius.) and Charlotte Hand, had children :
1. Israel, who married Eliza McMullen ; 2. Joan; 3. Harriet ; 4. Caroline 5. Elizabeth; 6. George.
BETSEY LUDLOW, (7th child of John,) and Matthew Patten, lived at Davton, and had children:
1. Margaret Patten, who marritd James Douglass.
2. Susan Patten married William Wilson, merchant at Hamilton, and had children : 1. Charles Wilson ; 2. Elizabeth Wilson ; 3. William Wilson ; 4. James Hurin Wilson ; 5. Ebenezer Thomas Wilson.
3. Anne Patten married Hugh Wilson, brother of William, and went to Indiana.
4. Eliza Patten married Rev. David Reed ; lives in Jefferson county, Indiana.
5. Mary Patten.
6. Amanda Patten married _____.
7. William Patten married Mary Anne Duffield, daughter of Robert.
8. Sarah Bell Patten,
9. Martha Jane Patten.
10. Sophia Patten, who died of cholera, 21st July, 1850, at Hamilton.
MARY LUDLOW, (8th child of John) married Alexander Pendery, and had children :
1. Ludlow Pendery; 2. Goodlow Pendery; 3. Martha Pendery; 4. Ralph Pendery ; 5. William Pendery ; 6. Finley Pendery; 7. Susan Jane Pendery ; 8. Israel Pendery.
SUSAN LUDLOW, (daughter of John,) and Stephen Cummings, had one daughter, Martha Jane Cummings, who married John W. Owen; and by David Bingham had children: 1. Mary Judith Brigham. 2. George Bigham. 3. William Bigham; 4. Susan Frances Bigham; 5. David Bigham.
JOHN LUDLOW, (son of John.) and Hetty Niles, had children :
Harriet, who married Dr. Freeman ; 2. Stephen married _____; 3. John.
RUTH LUDLOW, (daughter of John,) and James Baxter, had children : 1. Susan Jane married, and died ; 2. Martha Jane married J. H. Harper ; 3. Andrew James Baxter ; 4. John Ludlow Baxter.
CHARLOTTE LUDLOW, (daughter of John,) and John Long, had children:
1. Susan Long; 2. Josephine Long; 3. John Ludlow Long.
AGNES LUDLOW. (2d child of Col. Cornelius Ludlow,) and Jonathan Pierson, had children:
1. Jonathan Pierson, Jun., who married Matilda Davis, lived at Hamilton, Ohio, was a judge of the court there, and had children : 1. Nancy Pierson, who married Moses Kline, and had children: 1. James Kline ; 2. Matilda Kline ; 3. Samuel Kline.
2. Theodore Pierson.
3. Ellen Pierson, who married ______.
4. Isabella Pierson, who married William Kain.
5. Joseph Pierson.
2. Polly Pierson married Gen. Solomon Doughty, son of Joshua Doughty, of Long Hill, and had children:
1. Agnes Doughty, who married Doctor John D. Jackson. of Rockaway, and had children : 1. Edward E. Jackson, who married Miss Osborn ; 2. Charlotte Jackson married Mr. ____ Robison, son of Sheriff Collin Robison, of Morristown ; 3. Mary Jackson married Mr. ____ Cha.ndler ; 4. John Jackson, Jun., is a physician ; 5. Agrws Jackson ; 6. Laura Jackson.
2. Joshua Doughty. who married Susan Southard, daughter of Col. Isaac Southard, of Somerville, is a merchant, and president of the Somervil!e Bank there, and had children : 1. Louisa Doughty; 2. Sarah Doughty; 3. Mary Doughty; 4. John Rolan Doughty; 5. Joshua Doughty; 6. Susan Doughty.
3. Elizabeth Pierson Doughty was born 1803, married Doct. Charles H. Jackson, and died 28th July, 1838, without children.
4. Sineus Pierson Doughty, born 1808, and died 20th October, 1832, unmarried.
5. Sarah Mariah Doughty, born 13th July, 1814, and died 25th July, 1833, three days before her sister Elizabeth, unmarried.
6. Eugene S. Doughty, who married Elizabeth Underdunk, a widow., of Somerville, is a lumber merchant there, and had a son, Eugene. He was elected a Member of the legislature in 1850 and 1851.
3. Betsey Pierson, daughter of Jonathan Pierson married Col. Solomon Boyle, of Long Hill, son of Solomon Boyle, Jun. [See Col. Boyle.]
4. Sineus Pierson, who died in Ohio, a young man, unmarried.
GENERAL BENJAMIN LUDLOW, (son of Col. Cornelius Ludlow.) lived on Long Hill, where his father did. He was major-general of militia, judge of the court of Morris county, and was several times elected to the legislature, as member of the general assembly, and member of the legislative council.
General Benjamin Ludlow, (4th child of Col. Cornelius Ludlow,) and Eleanor Harris, had children :
1. Cornelius, who married Julia Anne Disborough, of New Brunswick, and had children : 1. George ; 2. Jane ; and three others. He was a justice of the peace, and judge of court of Morris county. He died 24th November, 1836.
2. Israel, born 1796, and died 21st Dec. 1819, unmarried.
3. Mary, who married Dr. John W. Craig, now of Plainfield, and died 1846, without children.
4. Martha, born 1801, and died 17th November, 1802.
5. Susan, born 1803, and died 27th March, 1823, unmarried.
6. George Harris, born 1805. He was successively a justice of the peace, sheriff, and clerk of Morris county, and is now in the lunatic asylum at Trenton, on account of insanity.
7. Martha, 2d, who married her cousin, George H. McCarter, 17th November, 1840, and died about 1845, without children.
8. Eliza, born 1809, and died 19th March, 1838, unmarried.
9. Charlotte Chambers, born 1810, died 22d July, 1830, unmarried.
10. Eleanor, born 181_, and died 4th March, 1849, unmarried.
11. Benjamin, born 8th August, 1817, and died 17th November following.
General Ben. Ludlow born 1763, and died 27th January, 1817. His wife Eleanor born 1771, and died 4th September, 1819, aged 48 years.
ISRAEL LUDLOW, (5th child of Col Cornelius Ludlow,) and Charlotte Chambers ofCincinnati, had children :
1. James C. Ludlow, who lived on Mill Creek, a farmer, married Miss ____ Clarkson, and had children :
1. Sarah Bella, who married Salmon B. Chase, who was in 1850, a senator of the United States.
2. James Dunlop.
3, Charlotte Chambers married Charles A. Jones, a lawyer of New Orleans, La.
2. Sarah Bella married Jephtha D, Garrard, a lawyer in Cincinnati, and son of Governor Garrard, of Kentucky, and had children :
1. Israel Garrard, a lawyer in Cincinnati.
2. Kenner Garrard.
3. Lewis Garrard.
4. Jephtha D. Garrard.
Mr. Garrard died in 1836, and his widow Sarah Bella married John McLean, one of the judges of the United States supreme court, and had a son, Ludlow McLean, who died young.
3. A daughter, who married Col. Ambrose Dudley, of Cincinnati, and had a daughter, Louisa Dudley, who married John G. D. Burrows, a merchant of Cincinnati.
4. Israel, who married in Kentucky, and died 184—.
OBADIAH LUDLUM, and Sarah his wife, came from Long Island, and settled in Westfield, they had but one child that grew up to manhood, who was named Obadiah, who married Phebe Marsh, of Westfield. and had children :
1. Jacob. who married Margaret Pool, of Elizabethtown, daughter of William Pool, and had children : 1. Phehe, who married Jacob Woodruff. 2. Jacob married Miss Lydia Clark. 3. Caroline, who died unmarried. 4. John married Margaret. Emerson, and had children : 1. Margaret, who married Isaac Scudder, son of Israel ; 2. Sarah ; 3. Gideon ; 4. Mary Elizabeth.
2. Sarah married David Crane. of Elizabethtown.
3. Watson, who went to the South, arid died unmarried.
4. Samuel, who married _____.
5. Smith married Ruth Badgley.
6. Patty married Daniel Munson, of New York.
7. Betsey married Ebenezer Stevenson, of New York.
8. Joseph. born 17th December, 1779, married Betsey Morehouse. daughter of Simeon.
9. Joanna. born 26th September, 1751, married Daniel Cory, son or Elder Daniel Cory, of Long Hill. [See Cory.]
10. Ezra married Rachel Segoine, of New York, and lived and died there.
Daniel Obadiah Ludlum, Jun. died, and his widow married Elder Daniel Cory of Long Hill.
The family now spell the name Ludlow.
JOSEPH LUDLOW, (son of Obadiah Ludlum, Jun.,) and Betsey Morehouse, lived. on Stony Hill, he was an elder in the Presbyterian church there, and had children :
1. Aaron M., who married, 1st, Eliza DeHart ; she died, and he married, 2d, Jane Osborn, daughter of John.
2. Ezra married Deborah Crane, daughter of John, of New Providence 2d, Mary Crane, daughter of John Crane, of Newark.
3. Amos married Catherine W. Hart, daughter of John, of New York, and went to Lebanon. Ohio ; his wife died, and he married there, 2d. Rosanna Simonton ; she died, and he married, 3d, Hannah Smith, daughter of Sameul Smith, late of Salem county, New Jersey.
4. Smith, who died an infant.
5. Hannah died 1st January, 1832, aged 22 years.
6. Joseph Marsh married Phebe Anne Dunham, of Westfield, had one son, when she died, and he married Jane Maxwell, of Connecticut Farms.
7. Israel, who died an infant.
8. Nancy married John M. Kindall, son of Joshua. [See Kindall.]
9. Jacob, who married Deborah T. Ruckman, daughter of Levi, born 18th January, 1818, and who died 20 or 29th Februarv, 1847, leaving two children, Watson and Phebe, and he died 24th October, 1850.
10. Eliza, who died an infant.
11. Watson went to Lebanon, Ohio, .and married. Mary Smith, sister of Amos's 3d wife.
12. John, who died 20th February, 1845, aged 21 years.
Mr. Joseph Ludlow died 10th October, 1849, aged nearly 70 years.
AARON M. LUDLOW, by his 1st wife, had no children. By his 2d wile, Jane Osborn, he had children :
1. Jeremiah Osborn, born 9th January, 1840.
2. Henry Martin, born 19 March, 1841.
3. Horace Judson, born 7th January, 1843.
4. William Munson, born 1st August, 1844.
5. Eliza Dellart, born 11th February, 1846.
6. John Clark, born 19th October, 1847.
EZRA LUDLOW, and Deborah Crane, had children :
1. Levi Mulford, who went to California.
2. Francis, who died at 9 months.
3. John Joseph.
4. Erastus, who died young.
5. Erastus, 2d.
6. John Edgar.
8. James F. Meeker.
AMOS LUDLOW, and Catherine Hart, had children:
1. John Howe Darg.
2. Martha Anne Eliza died at 21 years.
3. Henrietta, who died at 16 days.
4. Deborah Jane, who died at 21 years.
And by his 2d, wife, Rosanna had:
5. Phebe Anne, who died at 1 1/2 years.
And by his 3d wife, Hannah. had:
6. Catherine Wheeler. 7. Joseph LeRoy ; 8. Josephine ; 9. Mary Elizabeth.
WATSON LUDLOW, and Mary Smith, had children :
1. Samuel Joseph ; 2. Elizabeth Anne ; 3. Semantha Jane; 4. Sarah M.
MATTHIAS LUDLOW married Sarah Williams, daughter of Benjamin, lived in Westfield, and had children :
1. Ebenezer, who marred Abigail Littell, daughter of John, son of Benjamin. [See Lilliell.]
2. Benjamin married Keziah Clark, of Westfield.
3. Cornelius married Abby Pierson, daughter of William, of Westfield.
4. William married; as his 2d wife, Sarah Martin, daughter of Alexander, of Long Hill.
5. Sally married William Lane, of Woodbridge.
6. Lewis married Betsey Davis, daughter of Deacon Jacob Davis, of Westfield.
7. Isaac was a physician, married Nancy Cutter, daughter of Camp Cutter.
LEWIS LUDLOW, and Betsey Davis, had children:
1. Malancton, who died a young man. unmarried.
2. Sarah, who married succesively William Miller, son of Lewis, Caleb Miller, son of Nathaniel, and William Day, an Englishman.
By William Miller she had a son, 1. Lewis Miller, who married Martha Hand, daughter of Matthias, son of Nehemiah.
By Caleb Miller she had children: 2. Israel M. Miller ; 3. Mary Miller.
And by William Day, an Englishman, she had children: 4. Catherine Day ; 5. William Day ; and two others.
3. Benjamin, who married Fanny Smalley, daughter of Abner, son of James Smalley, and had a daughter, 1. Elizabeth Ludlow, who married John Badgley, a grandson of Jonathan. His wife Fanny died, and he went to Buffalo, New York, and there married again.
STEPHEN LUM married in Connecticut Farms, and removed from thence to the farm he bought of Moses Miller, south of John M. Stites's bark-mill, and had children :
1. Moses, born February, 1780, aid married, 13th May, 1810, Nancy Morehouse, daughter of Simeon, and removed to Newark, and died 18th October, 1849.
2. Amos married Fanny Morehouse, sister of Moses's wife.
3. John, married a widow Osborn, lived in Newark.
4. Betsey ,did not marry.
5. Stephen M. married Betsey Frazee, and had children: 1. Jane ; 2. Hannah.
6. Oba married ______, and died about 1830, leaving 4 children.
MOSES LUM, and Nancy Morehouse, had children:
1. Isaac, who died an infant.
2. Amos, who married Amanda Walker, daughter of Abraham, and had children : 1. Louisa Eveline ; 2. Lavina Parsons ; 3. Martin Luther ; 4. Adaline Woodhull ; 5. Amanda Walker.
3. Stephen married Catherine Conklin, daughter of Nicholas, of Newark, and had children: 1. Sarah Seely ; 2. Elizabeth.
4. Rebecca M. married Sidney B. Day, of Orange.
5. Elias Riggs, who died at 4 years.
6. David, who died at 2 years.
AMOS LUM, (son of Stephen,) and Fanny Morehouse, had children :
1. Samuel Y. Lum graduated at college, studied theology, and was licensed to preach the gospel by the presbytery of Newark.
2. Jane, who married Elias D. Hughson, son of Peter, of Newark.
3. Hannah, who married, 20th September, 1848, Charles H. Freeman, of Macon, Georgia.
PETER LYON was probably the son of Ebenezer Lyon, or Nathaniel Lyon, who are named in the list of the 2d generation of "the Elizabeth Town Associates,'' admitted in 1699.
Peter Lyon lived on Stony Hill nearly south of Littell's Bridge. He was born 1722, and died 23d Sept. 1781, aged 62 years. He married Joanna Clark, half sister of Elias Clark, of Stony Hill. She was born 28th Dec 1726, old style. They had children:
1. Ebenezer, born 29th April, 1746, and married, 1st, Sarah Willcox, daughter of John Willcox, Sen. She died 1st June, 1795, aged 45 years. He married, 2d, Caty Drake. daughter of Edward Drake ; 3d, Fanny, the mother of William Titus [See Titus.]
2. David, who went to Virginia.
3. Joanna married John Blackford, and died 12th Oct. 1783, aged 21 years.
4. Benjamin married. 8th March, 1776, Joanna Willcox, daughter of Peter, Jun. He was a carpenter ;, built the house on Stony Hill, east of his father's, where John Marshall lately lived. He sold out, and removed to Green county, Pennsylvania, and there married, as his 2d wife. the widow Gertrude Rogers.
5 Bethiah married, 2d May, 1770, John Potter, son of Amos Potter, Sen. [See Potter]
6. Nathaniel married Mercy Willcox, sister of Ebeneter's first wife.
7. Susan married, 15th April. 1790, John Cory, hroaer of Noah and Parkhurst Cory, and had a daughter, Phebe Cory, who married Cornelius Miller, son of Noah, of Westfield, and removed to Indiana, and had a daughter, Anne Miller, who married her cousin Peter Lyon, son of Ebenezer.
8. Phebe married Jonas Clark, son of Jeremiah, of Rahway, brother of Elias Clark, Sen., and had children, Peter, Jeremiah, and Polly Clark.
EBENEZER LYON, (son of Peter,) lived where his father did, and by his lst wife, Sarah, had children:
1. Elizabeth, born 28th April, 1774, and married, 27th April, 1791, Moses Tucker, son of John. [See Tucker.]
2. Mary. born 16th May, 1776, and married James Brown, son of John. [See Brown.]
3. John, born 7th Oct. 1778, and died 11th Feb. 1842. He married Tabitha Moore, daughter of Isaac Moore, and had a daughter, Sarah. born 15th May, 1809, and married Dayton Badgley, son of Anthony. [See Badgley.]
4. Rachel, born 21st August, 1781, married Henry Moore, son of Joseph, of Mount Bethel.
5. Sally, (twin to Rachel) married Jonathan Roff, son of Nathaniel. [See Roff.]
6. Peter, born 27th Feb. 1787, married his cousin Anne Miller, daughter of Cornelius, of Indiana, and grand-daughter of Susan Lyon (sister of Ebenezer) and John Cory. Peter Lyon left his wife, and returned to this place, and died the 25th. Aug. 1831.
7. Phebe, born July 23, 1789, and died in infancy.
8. Phebe, 2d, born 14th Dec. 1791, married William Alward, son of Benjamin, and went to French Creek. [See Alward.]
6. Mercy, born 21st May, 1793, married, 5th Feb. 1815, Squier Pope, son of Samuel, of Mount Bethel.
10. Susan, twin to Mercy, is not married. Her mind is partially alienated.
RACHEL LYON and Henry Moore, had children :
1. Henry Moore, Jun., who married Sally Allen, daughter of Gideon. [See Allen.]
2. Amos Moore married Charity Compton, daughter of James.
3. Peter Moore married Rebecca Bird, daughter of John. He was a justice of the peace.
4. Sarah Moore married Benjamin Coddington, son of Archibald.
5. John Moore married Eliza Frazee.
6. Jane Moore married Henry Bird, brother of Peter's wife.
7. Harriet Moore married George Coddington, son of William.
2 BENJAMIN LYON, (son of Peter,) and Joanna Willcox, had children :
1. Betsey, who married Thomas Parmer.
2. Phebe married George Cook.
3. Sheba married John Kinney.
4. Nancy married John Kauffman.
5. Noah did not marry.
6. Peter married _____.
And by his 2d wife, widow Gertrude Rogers, had:
7. William married Betsey Hathaway.
8. Joanna married Ira French.
NATHANIEL LYON, (son of Peter ) and Mary Willcox, had children :
1. Jotham, who lives on the Wabash River, in Indiana.
2. Mary, who married ______; is now a widow in Indiana.
3. Paebe [hard to read] married Joshua Miller, in Ohio, son of Jacob. [See Jacob Miller.]
NOTE: I know of no connection between Peter Lyon and Joseph Lyon.
JOSEPH LYON married Rebecca Littell, daughter of David, and had children:
1. Joseph, who married Barbara ____.
2. James married Susan Smith.
3. Samuel married Hannah ____.
4. Thomas married Anna ____ in Philadelphia.
5. John married Sarah Hetfield, daughter of John, of Elizabethtown, N. J.
6. William married Hannah ____.
7. Rebecca married Thomas Clark.
8. Abigail married ____.
9. Sarah married John Straun.
10. Mary married Abraham Kimberland.
REBECCA LYON, (7th child of Joseph,) and Thomas Clark, had children :
1. Joseph Clark, who married Mary Smith.
2. William Clark married Hannah Smith, cousin of Mary.
3. James Clark married Susan Smith, a Dutch girl.
4. Thomas Clark married Anna Stout.
5. John Clark married Sarah Hetfield, daughter of Thomas, of Elizabethtown.
6. Samuel Clark married Mary ____.
7. Abigail Clark married William Stoner.
8. Sarah Clark married John Straw.
9. Betsey Clark married ______.
10. Mary Clark married William Moore.
11. Rebecca Clark married James Thomas.
John Clark, (5th child of Thomas,) and Sarah Betfield, had children:
1. Hiram Clark, who married Elizabeth Long, daughter of Gideon.
2. Elizabeth Clark married William Weaver, son of Judge Henry Weaver.
3. Mary Clark married Silas C. Byram, son of Ebenezer, son of Naphtali, and lives near Hill Grove, Darke county, Ohio. [See Naphtali Byram]
4. Stephen Clark married Elizabeth Hamilton, daughter of Andrew.
5. Susan Clark married Robert Law, son of Francis, and brother of David C. Byram's wife. [See Byram.]
6. John Clark lives on the St. Joseph's river, Michigan.
7. George Clark married _____.