Fifty Puritan Ancestors
1628 - 1660
Genealogical Notes - 1650 - 1900
Elizabeth Todd Nash
New Haven: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
THE SCRANTON FAMILY
JOHN SCRANTON; with twenty-five other heads of families, made a settlement in Guilford, October 10, 1639. They came from Guildford and the Counties of Kent and Surrey in England.
He was admitted freeman of Guilford on the first list, May 22, 1648. His home lot contained two acres on the east side of State Street. In 1656, he went to Hammonassett in East Guilford to live, and subsequently settled on the Green.
John Scranton served as Deputy with John Fowler in 1664, the extra session; also second session, 1669, and first session, 1670. [History Guilford, Smith, pp. 13, 24, 43, 156, 181, 186].
Made one of the original proprietors of Guilford, May 22, 1648, and was one of those persons who "tendered themselves, their persons and estates toward any necessity that should arise" when Guilford was admited into the jurisdiction of Connecticut, October 9, 1662. [Col. Records of New Haven, 1636, 1665, p. 387].
March 20, 1671, John Scranton was appointed "to join with the Townsmen and lay out 30 acres of upland, and 20 of marsh, for the benefit of a school." He "introduced the practice of clearing the land-by cutting down the trees, instead of digging them up by the roots, which was of great help to the settlement." [Rockey, New Haven Co. Hist., pp. 186, 187].
John Scranton married in England, Joanna, who died July 22, 1661; married for second wife Ada or Adaline Hill (who married first Robert Johnson, (2) Robert Hill, (3) John Scranton), May 22, 1666. She died April, 1685.
John Scranton, died August 27, 1671, aged about 61 years. Inventory of estate, October 27, 1671 : £410 13s.4
JOHN, JR., b. about 1640; d. Sept. 2, 1703, aged 63.
THOMAS, b. 1643.
SARAH, b. May 16, 1645 ; m. John Bushnell.
Captain John Scranton, Jr., first of the name of Scranton born in Guilford, [Town Records, p. 77] married (1) Mary Seward (daughter of William Seward), March 12, 1673-4, who was born February 28, 1652 ; died 1690; married (2) Widow Elizabeth Clark (daughter of John Bishop), December 10, 1691; she died August, 1727. [Dr. Talcott's MSS. Records].
Captain John Scranton was "Marshall of the Settlement," 1661, 1662.
Captain John Scranton died September 2, 1703. In his will he gave to each of his six daughters, besides personal property, from twenty-seven to thirty-two acres of land, except to Mary (Mrs. Stone), who had already received her share of land in Hammonassett. John iii admitted in probate court that he had received ten acres of land, with the buildings thereon in Hammonassett at 140, fifteen acres in Harnmonassett fields at E31, five and a half acres of Meadow at £9; also, twenty-five and three-quarters acres at £25, and another lot at £4 135. ; in all 1109 3s. This, he says, he had received of his father's estate, toward his share of it, in his lifetime.
JOHN, iii, b. East Guilford, 1676; d. March 21, 1723.
MARY, b. 1678, m. Joseph Stone, July 9, 1699.
MERCY, b. 1680; m. Samuel Cole or Cowles, of Cheshire, December 27, 1717.
MEHITABLE, b. 1682.
ELIZABETH, b. Nov. 4, 1692; m. William Rawlson, Dec. 27, 1717.
ANNA, b. Dec. 27, 1693; m. Ebenezer Munger, May 29, 1717.
EBENEZER, b. March 16, 1696; m. Ann _____.
DEBORAH, b. December 3, 1697 ; m. Abel Chittenden, July 5, 1721.
Captain John Scranton iii, son of John, Jr., born 1676; settled in East Guilford (Madison). His residence was about one-fourth mile east of Tuxis Pond. [Dr. Elliott's Sermon, p. 29].
He married (1) Mary Norton, December 12, 1699, (2) Rachel Bishop, (3) Sarah Allis Evarts (widow of Ebenezer Evarts) ; she was born September 15, 1691; married April 22, 1709, to Ebenezer Evarts, who died May 19, 1722 ; she married John Scranton, and died October 8, 1749. He married for fourth wife Mary Bushnell of Saybrook, daughter of Deacon Francis Bushnell.
John Scranton died March 21, 1758. His will is dated January 4, 1749-50; codicil, January 4, 1754; brought into probate court April 4, 1758. In his will he made "ample provision for the support of his negro man and his Indian slave. They were to choose with which of his children to live, etc."
Captain John Scranton iii was "Commander of the Military Forces from 1731 to 1737." [Hist. N. H. Co., Rockey. Hist. Guilford, Smith].
MARY, b. July 6, 1701; m. Benjamin Bushnell.
JOHN, b. April 14, 1703; drowned, Hammonassett River, 1740.
JOSIAH, b. July 19, 1705; m. Mary Dickerman; d. Sept. 8, 1751.
SARAH, b. Nov. 25, 1707; d. s.
SUBMIT, b. June 18, 1712; in. Simeon Chittenden.
NOAH, b. Jan. 2o, 1714-15; m. Esther Bradley; d. December 4, 1760.
ICHABOD, b. Feb. 19, 1717; m. Chloe Fowler; d. December, 1760.
HANNAH, b. March 3, 1718; m. Nathaniel Allis d. Jan. 10,1783.
ANN, b. May 16, 1720; m. John Bushnell.
REBECCA, b. Sept. 12, 1722; m. (1) David Hoyt, (2) John Hill; d. May 5, 1793.
Captain Ichabod Scranton, son of John iii, born February 19, 1717 (0. S.) ; died December 1, 1760; married Chloe Fowler, daughter of Abraham Fowler, born March 3, 1723 (0. S.) ; died suddenly December 3, 1791. Ichabod Scranton was a Captain in the old French Wars and went in that capacity to Louisburg (Cape Breton), Ticonderoga. "On returning home from Ticonderoga he caught the smallpox at Albany, New York, which caused his death, December 1, 1760; he was buried privately, in the night, on Clabboard Hill and his grave cannot be found."
"He was a man of patriotism, enterprise and also strong and brave, and his death deemed a public loss." Several soldiers of his company died during the campaign at the North.
"Col. Ichabod Scranton also commanded a company in the Second French war." [Steiner, Hist. Guilford and Madison, p. 423]. "In another campaign Col. Ichabod Scranton of East Guilford commanded a company with Abraham Tyler (afterward Col. Tyler of Haddam) as his Lieutenaant." [Smith's Guilford, p. 48]. And still another references says, "General Ward and Colonel Ichabod Scranton also commanded companies of Guilford men in the Second French War."
In the Scranton row of Tombstones the inscription on Col. Ichabod Scranton's is as follows:
Father of Abraham Scranton
Was born Feb. 19, 1717.
He obtained a Captain's
Commission from King
George the 2nd and went
Into Canada during the
French War and Served
2 years returning home
Took the small pox at
Albany and died and was
Buried at Guilford
Mrs. Chloe Scranton's stone (the small brown one) says:
In Memory of
Mrs Chloe Relict of
Capt Ichabod Scranton
Who died Dec. loth 1791
in the 69th Year
of her age.
Blessed are the dead
That die in the Lord.
The Scranton Family Memorial gives a few extracts from the inventory of Capt. Ichabod Scranton, showing the price of articles at that time, March 4, 1761:
"Crimson Wescoot, 30s.; Lappel Rigmental (Red) coat, 40s.; Blue Broadcloth coat, 70s. ; Hat, 5S.; Silver Shoe buckles, 20s.; Gun, 30s.; Pocket Compass, 6s. ; Six Silver spoons, 54s. ; Wheat, 4s. 6d. bushel ; Indian corn, 2s. 6d. bushel ; three pair oxen, one pair 17 pounds, another pair £ 14.5s., third 12 pounds; 6 cows, 5 pounds each, Bull 4 pounds; 20 sheep, 8s. each ; Dwelling house, 70 pounds; Old house and barn, 25 pounds; Home lot 40 acres, 7 pounds, acre etc. Amount of estate £I,096 13s. A very large estate for those days."
CHLOE, b._____; d. May 26, 1788; m. Daniel Meigs.
ELIZABETH, b. 1747; d. Aug. 26, 1813; m. Edmund Wilcox.
THEOPHILUS, b. Dec. 1, 1751; d. Feb. 16, 1827; m. Abigail Lee.
ABRAHAM, b. Sept. 10, 1754; m. Lucy Stone.
ICHABOD, b. Dec. 10, 1757; d. May 24, 1792.
Chloe Scranton, daughter of Capt. Ichabod Scranton, married Daniel Meigs; born July 24, 1747; died May 12, 1822. Chloe Scranton Meigs died May 19, 1788.
They had four children. (See Meigs line.) Artemesia Meigs, born February 25, 1770; married Daniel Hand, Jr., and died October 11, 1812.
Ichabod Scranton, son of Col. Ichabod "was an officer of distinction in the Troop or Cavalry" ; he died unmarried, May 24, 1792, aged 34 years. His tombstone has a curious inscription on it :
Surely every man walketh
in a vain shew, he heapeth
up riches and knoweth not
who shall gather them.
Abraham Scranton, brother of Ichabod and Chloe Scranton, enlisted at the age of sixteen (1770), and served in the Revolutionary War to its close. He received a pension, which was continued to his widow after his death. His musket and bullets, picked up on Bunker Hill, are treasured by his descendants.
THE SEWARD FAMILY
WILLIAM SEWARD came from Bristol, England, and settled in New Haven, Conn. While residing there he married Miss Grace Norton of Guilford (daughter of Thomas Norton), April 2, 1651, and soon removed to Guilford ; took oath of fidelity there May 4, 1654; was on list of freemen, made before 1659.
He was a tanner and "a man of considerable property and eminence" in the town. For a long time he was Captain of the Guard in Guilford, and an anecdote is related of him, that when the charter of the State was supposed to be concealed in Guilford (during the usurpation of Edmund Andross) , by Governor Leete's family, and delegates were sent down to seize and bring it to Hartford, Mr. Seward marched his company with their muskets loaded, to the southeast corner of the Green, where the delegates were lodged, and paraded them in front of the house, to the beat of the drum.
On being asked by the delegates, what they wanted, Capt. Seward informed them that he came to escort them out of the town, and that he would not leave with his men, until they left, which must be as soon as possible. The delegates, seeing their danger, accepted the escort forced upon them, and left town.
William Seward held several offices, as the town records show. "It was voted by the town November 6, 1677, that Lieut. William Seward and Deacon William Johnson should act as the town's Attorney, both as plaintive and defensive, in any action or actions, they shall judge necessary for the town's good, until the town see cause to call in their power again." Anticipating the union with Connecticut, it was voted February 8, 1664-5, that "William Seward, William Stone and John Grave, should auditate the books of account, belonging to the Towne, both Towne and Ministers' Booke of Accounts etc." "Jan. 26, 1674-5, Left. William Seward and John Grave were appointed to join with the townsmen, to treat with Killingworth on the boundary line difficulty." [Col. Records of Conn. II, p. 251].
May 28, 1674, he was appointed to see to the north boundary of Guilford, also to join with committee from Branford to "set the Middle State thereof to divide between Guilford and Branford."
"December 11, 1672, a committee composed of Deacon John Fowler, William Seward and William Johnson were appointed as Sizers and Surveyors of all the lands to be laid out for third division, and were invested with full power to set out the land reserved for the school and other public use firstly, to lay out highways and to do anything necessary in the undertaking."
June 1, 1665, William Seward was chosen "Captaine of the Guard for the year ensueing and had full power to choose his men."
That this was considered a great honor is shown by this comment, "Men were so proud of these offices as to have their militia titles carved on their tombstones."
During King Philip's War, Guilford voted to have two garrisons, and March 13, 1676, "Left. Seward and John Grave were chosen a committee to order the fortifications."
"Chosen on a committee, November 4, 1685, to search the town records and prepare the town patent, and was one of twelve men chosen by the town as `patentees for the Kings Charter to Guilford,' also chosen to keep the chaster." [History of Guilford and Madison, Steiner, pp. 89, 107, 112, 114, 128, 141, 159, 160, 163, 172, 420, 421, 512].
Was Deputy to the General Court second session 1673, second session 1674, first and second session 1683, second session 1684, first and second session 1685; second session 1686.
Marshal of the Settlement from 1662 to 1664.
William Seward died March 2, 1689 ; his wife, Grace Norton Seward, died March 5, 1704. [Hist. of Guilford, Conn., Smith, pp. 20, 24, 27, 41, 78, 79, 159, 160, 181, 187].
MARY, b. Feb. 28, 1652; m. March 12, 1673-4, John Scranton, Jr., d. 1690.
THE NORTON FAMILY
The record of Thomas Norton's, ancestors is given under John Norton in the Wilcox line. He was a brother of Francis Norton of Charlestown, Mass., and Richard Norton (father of John Norton of Branford), and son of William and Dencia Chelmesby, grandson of Richard and Margery Wingar Norton of Sharpenhow, England.
Thomas Norton, born in England, 1582 ; married Grace _____, who died August, 1648. "In Ockley, Surrey, England, can still be seen the marriage records of Thomas Norton in the Parish Register, 1600-1650." [Smith, Hist. Guilford, pp. 218, 220].
Mr. Thomas Norton was warden of Mr. Whitfield's Church at Ockley, England, [Proceeding Guilford Anniversary, p. 51] and came with him to America, being one of the Covenanters on shipboard who signed the covenant June, 1639. "Thomas Norton, the seventeenth signer, was the son of William Norton of Ockley, England." The covenant is among the manuscript papers of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston. Thomas Norton was the miller from 1646 until his death in 1648.
His home lot was on the west side of State Street, composed of two acres.
Thomas Norton died August, 1648; [History Guilford, Steiner, pp. 23, 47, 48, 53, 60, 185, 228, 229] his wife Grace Norton survived him.
CHILDREN [Salem and Ipswich, Mass. Records; Saybrook, Conn. Dr. Talcott, MSS Records. Norton records.]
GEORGE, b. 1606; m. Mary _____; d. 1659.
THOMAS, b. 1626; m. Elizabeth Mason ; d. 1712.
ANNA, b. _____ ; m. John Warner, 1649 ; d. 1679.
GRACE, m. William Seward, 1651; d. March 5, 1704.
JOHN, b. 1628; m. Hannah Stone.
MAY, m. Samuel Rockwell of Windsor, 1658.
ABIGAIL, b. _____ ; m. Amamus Zyard, 1667.
Grace Norton married William Seward April 2, 1651, [Smith, Hist. of Guilford, p. 19] and their daughter, Mary Seward, born February 28, 1652, married March 12, 1673-4, John Scranton, Jr.
Anna Norton married John Warner 1649 ; died 1679. (See Warner family, page 68.)
THE FOWLER FAMILY
"WILLIAM FOWLER, the magistrate," came to America, landing in Boston, June 26, 1637. [History Milford in N.H. Co., Rockey, p. 218]. He left Boston March 30, 1638, removing with Mr. Davenport and others to Quinnipiac (New Haven), arriving there in about a fortnight. He lived there a year or more, [Palfrey's History of New England, p. 639] his name being on first tax list, "number 43, 3 in family. Estate £boo ; 47 acres in first Division, 9/ in neck, 41% in Meadow; and 166 acres in second Division." [History City of New Haven, Atwater, p. 639].
"William Fowler was at the famous meeting in Mr. Newman's barn, June 4, 1639, when the constitution of the New Haven Colony was adopted, and subscribed to that agreement. [Palfrey, N.E. Hist., p. 639]. He afterward removed to Milford, where the first purchase by the whites was made February 12, 1639. The deed in trust for the planters was given to William Fowler, Edmund Tapp and three others."
"At town meeting, November 20, 1639, it was voted that William Fowler, Edmund Tapp, Zachariah Whitman, John Astwood and Richard Miles be the first Judges." In 1643 William Fowler was still Judge. [Milford, N.H. Co., p. 218]. "In 1644 William Fowler and Edmund Tapp were those chosen for the first magistrates for the General Court at New Haven." [Palfrey, N.E., Vol. II, p. 391].
"The Church of Christ at Milford was first gathered at New Haven uppon August 22, 1639. The persons first joyning in the formation were those whose names are next under mentioned: Peter Prudden, Zacariah Whitman, William Fowler, John Astwood, Edmund Tapp, Thomas Buckingham, Thomas Welsh." To these "seven pillars" other members were added. William Fowler was one of those deputed to "lay hands on" Rev. Peter Prudden at his installation. [Rockey's N.H. Co., Vol. II, pp. 218, 248].
In 1640 the "Train Band" or local militia was formed; John Astwood, Captain; William Fowler, Lieutenant. [Ibid, Vol. II, p. 263].
"On March 8, 1640, the planters arranged with William Fowler, one of the five judges and one of the chief men among them, to have a mill, mill was `set going' September, 1640, it was worth at least £18o, and was the first in the country, the second one was started in New Haven, by William Fowler, Jr., in 1645." [Rockey's N.H. Co., Vol. II, p 264].
William Fowler's home lot in 1645 was number 41 and John Fowler's number 51. [Ibid, p. 66].
"William Fowler died in 1661 ( January 25). His will, presented in 1661 by his son William, was not recorded and cannot be found. He was enrolled at New Haven as having property to the amount of £800. His house lot in Milford was 7 acres, 2 quarters. He is reported to have enjoyed the advantages of a liberal education, had a high reputation for wisdom and piety, and had the confidence of the Colony as a magistrate. He acted as magistrate from 1643 to 1654." [Palfrey, N.E., p. 638].
His estate in Milford must have been the one spoken of in the following document, if the New Haven property was worth £800.
Records of the Colony of New Haven, 1653-1664, p. 449:
"The last will & tcstamt of Mr Willm Fowler of Milford deceased, was prsented as prooued in court at Milford, by Mr Robt Treate, John Fletcher and Wiltm Fowler junior witnesses, dated the eighteenth of January 166o An inventory alsoe of the estate Mr Willm Fowler deceased prsented taken the 8th of February 1660 prized by Mr Alexander Bryan and Michaelle Tompkins amounting to ye sume of 4o8a 13° 09d prooued in court & before the magistrat at Milford March the first & seventh 1660/62. Rich Baldwin
SARAH, d. y.
JOHN, m. Mary Hubbard; d. Sept. 14, 1676.
John Fowler came with his father and Mr. Prudden to Milford 1639, is mentioned on the first list of planters made on settlement of the town, and is supposed to have come from Wethersfield. He moved to Guilford before 1648, as he is mentioned there by that time. Made freeman June 30, 1650.
He married Mary Hubbard (daughter of George Hubbard), and in his new home became a man of note. He lived on the corner of Broad and Fair Streets.
John Fowler was one of the earliest Assistant Magistrates chosen 1661, and continued in office until the union with Connecticut Colony, 1664; re-elected for the next two years, until 1666, when the County Court was organized. [Rockey's, Vol. II, p. 116].
John Fowler was Deputy to New Haven Colony Court, first and second sessions 1661, extra session January 1664, summer session 1664. After the colonies of New Haven and Connecticut united, Deputy to General Court of Connecticut, first session 1665, first and second sessions 1666, first and second session 1667, first and second sessions 1668, first session 1669, second session 167o, second session 1671, first and second sessions 1672, first and second sessions 1673, second session 1674, first and second sessions 1675, special session 1675.
He was chosen sole deacon in First Church from August 3, 1664, to 1673; deacon until his death, September 14, 1676. [Smith's Hist. Guilford, pp. 13, 18, 24, 64, 105, 154, 156, 157, 158, 181].
In I658 John Fowler was appointed "to receive the customs and excises of wines and liquors for that and several succeeding years." [New Haven Col. Rec. II, pp. 230, 300].
"February 22, 1668-9, Will Island was granted to John Fowler." [Ibid]
March 20, 1671, "The towne appointed Deacon John Fowler and John Scranton, Sr., to join with the townsmen and lay out 30 acres of upland and 20 acres of marsh to be kept improved for the benefit of a school."
"March 9, 1676, the towne voted there should be two garrisons, one at Rev. Mr. Elliott's, the other at Deacon John Fowler's, "during King Philip's War."
For John Fowler's services to the town the Legislature granted him one hundred ( 100) acres of land in Coginchang (Durham)." [William Fowler Magistrate, by W. C. Fowler, p. 4].
John Fowler's will, drawn April 19, 1670, codicil of September 1676, proved June 12, 1677, is in Vol. I. New Haven Probate Records. His inventory showed real estate £4o5 3s. 11 d. ; personal estate, £20618s. 11d. Total, £612 2S. Iod. John Fowler died September 14, 1676 ; Mary Hubbard Fowler, died April 13, 1713.
ABIGAIL, b. Dec. 1648 ; d. 1651.
MARY, b. Dec. 15, 1650; d. Oct. 15, 1670; d. s.
ABRAHAM, b. Aug. 29, 1652; m. Elizabeth Bartlett d. Dec. 5, 1720.
JOHN, b. 1654.
MEHITABLE, b. 1656 d. s., March 18, 1751.
ELIZABETH, b. April 30, 1638; d. s.
Abraham Fowler, born August 29, 1652 ; married August 29, 1677, Elizabeth Bartlett (daughter of George), b. March, 16S3 ; died October 4, 1742.
"The elder Abraham Fowler was one of the most important men of the town in his day, representing it in the General Courts and serving until his death. The last eight years of his life he was a member of the Governor's Council." [Rockey, Vol. II, p. 70].
Abraham Fowler was selectman in Guilford 1681. Mr. Abraham Fowler was Representative second session 1697, first and second sessions 1698, Ensign Abraham Fowler. Lieut. Abraham Fowler, second session 1699, first and second sessions 1701, first and second session 1702. Captain Abraham Fowler, first and second sessions 1703, first and second session 1704, second session 1705, first and second sessions 1706, first and second sessions 1707, first session 1708, second session 1709, first and second session 1710, second session 1711, first session 1712. In 1712 Captain Abraham Fowler was chosen Assistant, and continued in that office till his death, 1720. [Steiner's Guilford, pp. 113, 199, 347, 473, 513].
"On April 24, 1705, Capt. Abraham Fowler was appointed with others to lay out Cohabitation Land." April 28, 1701-2, Lieut. Abraham Fowler and Ensign Nathaniel Stone carried the petition for a church in East Guilford to the General Assembly.
In 1717 Capt. Abraham Fowler was chairman of the first school committee appointed in Guilford. 1705 he was made magistrate and justice in Guilford, re-elected 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1719, 1720. [Rockey. Smith, Hist. of Guilford, pp. 145, 151, 162, 163].
He was also one of the Judges of the higher courts, having jurisdiction in matters of chancery. He was "Assistant from 1712 to 1720, and was also one of the justices of the County Courts of New Haven, in which position he was distinguished for his firmness and good judgment." [Ibid, pp. 123, 124]. Besides his being Captain of the Military Band at home, he was Sergeant in King Philip's War, and was wounded. The Colonial Records say, "Upon the motion of Sergeant Abram Fowler that the court should consider his disablement by reason of his wounds he received by the enemy in the country's service, they having considered the same, granted him the sum of four pounds in full satisfaction for his service, and damage received by said wound." [Smith Hist.].
Abraham Fowler died December 5, 1720. Elizabeth Bartlett Fowler, born March 1653, died October 4, 1742.
"In 1672 John Fowler's list was #160 7s., the largest in the town, Governor Leete's being £ 160 only. He had between 400 and 500 acres of valuable land in Guilford, and was one of the most wealthy of the inhabitants. He was at his death magistrate and the most eminent man in the town."
ABRAHAM, b. 1683 ; m. Elizabeth Hubbard, March 4, 172O; d. Oct. 11, 1754.
ELIZABETH, b. 1694; m. Andrew Ward; d. Feb. 26, 1794.
Abraham Fowler, Jr., born 1683; married Elizabeth Hubbard, daughter of Daniel Hubbard, Jr., March 4, 1720. He died October 11, 1754.
Elizabeth Hubbard Fowler, born January 31, 1694 ; died March 7, 1770.
CHLOE, b. March 3, 1723; m. Col. Ichabod Scranton; d. Dec. 3, 1791.
MABEL, m. Dea. Benjamin Hart, Nov. 17, 1750 ; d. Sept. 3, 1814.
NOAH, b. 1727.
ELIZABETH, b. 1730.
RACHEL, m. Josiah Linsley, Feb. 4, 1757.
ANNA, m. Jonathan Fowler of Northford.
"Colonel Noah Fowler, son of Abraham Fowler, born 1727, had very honorable Revolutionary service. Was Captain of his company, marched them to the relief of Boston in 1775, served as major of his regiment in the Long Island retreat in 1776, and was on the coast guard many times during the war. At the formation of the 27th Regiment of Militia in 1780, he was appointed its Colonel. [Rockey, Vol. II, p. 70].
Chloe Fowler, born March 3, 1723, daughter of Abraham, who married Captain Ichabod Scranton, was evidently a woman of strong character. She regarded Rev. Mr. Whitfield's preaching as the means of her conversion, and instead of following the usual custom of an entertainment called a house warming, "Mrs. Chloe Scranton, relict of Capt. Ichabod, when she and her son Ichabod moved into the house he had erected for them, she wished to substitute therefor religious exercises, and to invite Rev. A. Mansfield to preach on the occasion, etc. He selected for his discourse the appropriate text, Joshua 24, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!' [Scranton Memorial, pp. 20, 21].
Her patriotism was shown by the fact that notwithstanding her father's wounds in King Philip's War, the death of her husband from the exposure in the French War, and that of her brother in the Revolutionary War, she sent her two sons to the war. Ichabod became "an officer of distinction," and Abraham, who went at the age of sixteen, served to the close of the Revolutionary War.
Mrs. Chloe Fowler Scranton died suddenly, December 3, 1791.
CHILDREN [Ibid., pp. 20, 21, 28, 29, 30, 31].
CHLOE, b._____; m. Daniel Meigs ; d. May 26, 1788.
ELIZABETH, b. 1747; m. Edmund Wilcox; d. Aug. 26, 1813.
THEOPHILUS, b. Dec. 1, 1751; m. Abigail Lee; d. Dec. 23, 1840.
ABRAHAM, b. Sept. 11, 1754; m. Lucy Stone.
ICHABOD, b. Dec. 10, 1757; d. s. May 24, 1792, aged 34.
Chloe Scranton, daughter of Chloe Fowler and Capt. Ichabod Scranton, married Daniel Meigs; died May 26, 1788. (See Meigs family.)
THE HUBBARD FAMILY
GEORGE HUBBARD, born in England, 1594, came to Boston in 1633; was in Watertown 1635, also in Wethersfield 1635.[Dr. Talcott's MSS. Records]. In April, 1639, George Hubbard was one of the members from Wethersfield of the first session at Hartford after the adoption of the constitution, and was one of two men at Wethersfield permitted to trade with the Indians. [Trumbull, History Hartford Co., p. 461]. George Hubbard was a prominent surveyor,3 and when in 1639 Milford was planted largely from Wethersfield under the leadership of Rev. Peter Prudden, the leaders were George Hubbard, Rev. John Sherman, Capt. Thomas Topping and Robert Treat. Hubbard afterward went to Guilford, [Ibid. 438] where he was a prominent inhabitant, being several times sent as Deputy to the General Court at New Haven ; also served as Magistrate. "An office of much importance was the town surveyor, and on July 1, 1666, George Hubbard was chosen thereto. [Steiner, Hist. Guilford, etc., pp. 42, 62, 78, 79, 97, 106, 116, 124, 125, 128, 131, 141, 142, 171, 216, 511, 572].
In Milford his lot was number 66; sold later to John Stream. He purchased in Guilford the property of Jacob Sheaffe, September 22, 1648. "He was made freeman in 1648 probably, as his name is third on the list, Henry Whitfield, Jno. Higginson, George Hubbard, being without date. Mr. Samuel Disboro" and ten others follow, dated May 22, 1648.
George Hubbard evidently invested in lands wherever his surveying took him. As Stuart says, [Stuart's Hartford in Olden Time, p. 205] "Among the Hartford planters who bought Middletown were George Hubbard, [transcriber's note: is the author getting this George Hubbard mixed up with the other Geo. H. who removed to Middletown? Two totally different individuals]. Daniel Hubbard, Joseph Hubbard, Thomas Hubbard, John Savage, Thomas Wilcox, John Wilcox," and six others whose names are mentioned. [Stuart's Hartford in Olden Time, p. 205].
Mr. George Hubbard was one of the earliest Assistants chosen by the freemen to assist Mr. Desborough. He was Deputy the whole year, 1650, 1652, 1655, 1657, 1658, 1659, 1660, 1662, 1663. After the Colonies united, in 1664, he was "chosen Deputy first and second session 1665, second session 1666. Made magistrate October 1670 to 1676.
The following is an extract from Colonial Records for 1670: "This court doth nominate and appoint Mr. George Hubbard, John Fowler and William Johnson to be Commisisoners for and within the plantation of Guilford, and they three joyntly concurring, or any two of them, are invested with magistratical power there, and have power to hear and issue any case as the law directs to be issued by one magistrate; and Mr. George Hubbard is hereby invested with full power to grant summons according to law, and also to joyne persons in marriages as needs requires."
George Hubbard married Mary Bishop, daughter of John Bishop, who died September 14, 1676.
George Hubbard died January, 1683. [Smith, History of Guilford, pp. 12, 14, 23, 54, 145, 153, 156, 157].
JOHN, b. 1630; m. Mary Morrison.
GEORGE, b. 1633; rem. to Greenwich.
MARY, b. 1634; m. John Fowler d. April, 1713.
HANNAH, b. 1637; m. Jacob Maynard.
ELIZABETH, b. 1638 ; m. John Norton ; d. Feb., 1710.
ABIGAIL, b. 1640; m. Humphrey Spilling.
WILLIAM, b. 1642; m. Abigail Dudley.
DANIEL, b. Dec. 27, 1644; m. Elizabeth Jordan, Nov. 17, 1664.
Sergeant Daniel Hubbard, born December 27, 1644, was one of the twelve men chosen to receive the charter of Guilford, December 7, 1685, Lieut William Seward, Mr. Abraham Cruttenden, Mr. John Meigs, being also included in the charter [Smith's History, pp. 78, 79].
Daniel Hubbard married Elizabeth Jordan, daughter of John and Anne Bishop Jordan, November 17, 1664.
DANIEL, b. Aug. 1, 1666; m. Elizabeth Cruttenden, Dec. 5, 1681; d. March, 1702.
ELIZABETH, b. Jan. 3, 1669; m. Daniel Buck; d. March 29, 1735.
ABIGAIL, b. March 1, 1671 m. Joseph Dudley; d. June 28, 1740.
EBENEZER, b. Aug. 18, 1673; m. Elizabeth Lord; d. Oct. 5, 1715.
MARY, b. Feb. 1676; m. Caleb Leete; d. Nov. 10, 1775.
JOHN, b. Nov. 17, 1678; m. Sarah Tyrrel.
Daniel Hubbard, Jr., born August 1, 1666, married December 5, 1691, Elizabeth Cruttenden (daughter of Abraham ; see Cruttenden line), born September 22, 1670. Daniel Hubbard died March 1702.
ELIZABETH, b. Sept. 6, 1692 ; d. y.
ELIZABETH, b. Jan. 31, 1694; m. Abraham Fowler, March 4, 1720; d. March 7, 1770.
DAVID, b. Feb. 7, 1697 ; m. Thankful Stone; d. Sept. 27, 1751.
JOHN, b. May 20,1699 m. Patience Chittenden d. Nov. 11. 1775.
ABRAHAM, b. Jan. 3, 1701; d. s. July 12, 1714.
Elizabeth Hubbard, born January 31, 1694, married Abraham Fowler, Jr., March 4, 1720; died March 7, 1770. (See Fowler line).
CHLOE, b. March 3, 1723 m. Col. Ichabod Scranton ; d. Dec. 3, 1791.
THE JORDAN FAMILY
JOHN AND THOMAS JORDAN, brothers, came from Lenham, Co. Kent, with the original settlers of Guilford, John Jordan's name being the seventh on the Guilford plantation covenant signed on shipboard. Although he was quite young at that time he was a prominent member of the community. Both John and Thomas Jordan were witnesses with Samuel Disborow on Mr. Whitfield's deed of purchase of land from Weekwork, from East River to Tuxis. John Jordan was one of the seven purchasers on December 17, 1641, of the land called "the Neck" from East River to Tuxis Pond; also his name appears in deeds of all lands from Stony Creek to Hammonassett, and as witnesses "to the deeds from Uncas, John Jordan, Henry Whitfield, Samuel Disborow." He was Assistant Magistrate under Mr. Disborow. December 17, 1645, he was desired with John Stone to receive the "College Corn" (the contribution for Harvard College), which it was requested be paid before the "25 March ensuing."
Of the family of Jordan we can only judge from the following extract from Dr. Steiner : "Many of them were liberally educated : all were persons of high culture and earnest zeal for religion and liberty, and some of them were connected with the most distinguished Puritans of the times. Among them were Desborow, Leete, Hoadey, Thomas and John Jordan and others."
Thomas Jordan, brother of John, was Assistant Magistrate from 1646 to 1649, again in 1650, 1651, 1652, 1653, 1654; also Treasurer of the Plantation from 1643 to 1650, re-elected 1652 to 1654. He returned to England with Mr. Whitfield and Mr. Disborough in 1660.
John Jordan married Anne Bishop (daughter of John and Anne Bishop) in 1640. John Jordan died in 1649, and Anne Jordan married May 1, 1652, Thomas Clarke, an original settler of Milford, who came to Guilford and settled there, 1653. Anne Bishop Jordan Clarke died January 3, 1672.
ELIZABETH JORDAN, daughter of John and Anne Jordan, m. Daniel Hubbard, Nov. 17, 1664.
THE BISHOP FAMILY
MR. JOHN BISHOP, born 1604, was the second signer of the Guilford covenant, drawn up on shipboard June 1, 1639; John Jordan number 7, Thomas Norton 17, Abraham Cruttenden 18, Thomas Nash 21. John Bishop was the fifth of the six signers in the deeds of purchase from the Indians, and September 29, 1639, he was appointed with three others to have "the civil power for the administration of justice and the preservation of peace ;" re-elected for the same office February 2, 1641, 1642. John Bishop was thirty-five years old when he left England with his wife Anne _____ and several children. He is said to have been a brother of Mr. James Bishop of New Haven. His estate was one of the largest in the plantation after that of Mr. Whitfield. He had in his home lot seven acres with one acre added in front for yards, on the "London Corner."
Mr. John Bishop and John Bishop, Jr., were made freemen in list of 1650.
On June 12, 1656, "Mr. Bishopp, by vote, was desired to supply the place of Townsmen." John Bishop, Jr., removed from Guilford 1688, and settled on what is now the Green in Madison.
John Bishop, Sen., died January, 1660.
The following documents in regard to Mr. Bishop's will are recorded in New Haven:
"The last will & testamt of Mr John Bishop Senr of Guilford deceased; prsented as prooued in court at Guilford, Feb. 7th, 1660, by W Robert Kitchell & John Fowler, to ye subscribing, and by Mr Wm Leete and Elizabeth Jordan yt Mr Bishop owned & allowed it soe to stand, adding onely ye legacy there in to his daughter Steele, now upon his death bed : dated Novemb. 1653.
Willm Leete, Esq. Governs."
"An inventory alsoe of ye estate of Mr John Bishop Senr deceased, prsented as prooued in court at Guilford upon oath by Anne Bishop the widdow & relict of ye deceased & John Bishop his eldest sonne & joint executor wth ye widdow, for ye quantity, & by Abraham Cruttenden Senr Jno Fowler & Wm Stone, apprizers, for ye just value as is there in sett donne. Amounting to ye sume of 375 u 17s 1Id, and taken January 7th, 1660.
SARAH BISHOP, m. George Westfield; d. Sept. 30, 1657.
ANNE BISHnp, m. (1) John Jordan, (2) Thomas Clarke, May 1, 1652; she d. Jan. 3, 1672.
ELIZABETH, m. _____Steele.
MARY, m. George Hubbard; d. Sept. 14, 1676.
Anne Bishop married John Jordan 1640; he died January 1, 1649-50, leaving daughter Elizabeth, who married Daniel Hubbard, November 17, 1664. (See Hubbard family).
Mary Bishop married George Hubbard, and died September 14, 1676, leaving eight children, the youngest, Daniel, born December 27, 1644, marrying his cousin Elizabeth Jordan, November 17, 1664.
History New Haven Colony, Atwater, pp. 161, 164, 167, 168, 5oo. Steiner's History Guilford, pp. 25, 29, 34, 44, 45, 48, 53, 61, 8o, 88, 89, 109, 125, 133, 141, 155, 195, 242, 247. Records of New Haven Colony, 1658-1664, p. 449.