Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Rev. James Woodside, immigrant ancestor, was born and educated in England and took orders in the Church of England. He appears to have come to America from Ireland about 1718 to Falmouth, Maine, now Portland. He removed thence to Brunswick, Maine, then called Maquott, and Pejepscott, four miles from St. George. He came with forty families of above one hudnred and sixty persons in the ship from Derry Lough, Ireland in 1718, according to the history of Brunswick. The settlement was surprised by Indians in July, 1722, but the inhabitants took refuge in Woodside's house and the Indians were repulsed, but Woodside's cattle were killed and his provisions and movables destroyed by the savages. The facts of the case are related in a petition asking for relief or for the appointment to the post of the late Mr. Cummins, seacher of ships in the Boston harbor in New England. Governor Shute endorsed the petition, stating that Rev. Mr. Woodside went over from Ireland to New England with a considerable number of people, that he and they sat down to plant in a place called Brunswick; that he was the means of saving the lives of many people in the late insurrection of the Indians, that his generosity was taken notice of by Dr. Mathers, and that the Indians cut off all his cattle.
In 1719 the proprietors, who were largely Puritans, and the inhabitants, many of whom were Scotch Presbyterians from Ireland, joined in a letter inviting him to preach for six months on probation. Mr. Baxter's hosue was used as a meeting house, lot No. 6, on the southeast corner of Main and Green streets. The congregation was composed of two different elements, and probably no preacher would have given satisfaction to a majority, but at the end of six months he was invited to continue another six months on the same conditions, a majority not being willing to call him as minsiter. He returned to England after three months, however, and his son James soon followed. His son William remained.
A portrait of Rev. James Woodside sent over to his son James under date of 1726, painted by Gibson, has been preserved. He probably had other children, but we know only of William, mentioned below, and James, who returned to England.
(II) William, son of Rev. James Woodside, is also progenitor of all of the name in this country, as far as is known. He may have come before his father. One account places him as commander of the blockhouse at Maquit or Maquott as early as 1714, but another gives the more probable date of 1726. He was first a lieutenant, afterward captain in rank. He bought a lot on what is now Wharton's Point from Thomas Wharton, the original owner. He bought afterward one of the regular lots laid out to proprietors toward the falls.
He was a large, well-built man, though somewhat corpulent, stout, active and energetic. The Indians were in constant fear of him through his business trading for furs, etc., with the natives. Tradition tells us that he often got the best of the bargains with the Indians. He was called "Squire," and was a sort of magistrate and local preacher; he was commissioned as chaplain in the expedition against Louisburg in the French and Indian war. He had many encounters with the Indians during this war and some narrow escapes, though it is said he often turned the tables on his enemy and inflicted severe punishment on them. One Sunday morning, against the remonstrances of the people of the garrison, he ventured to make a trip to his turnip patch. The dogs had barked during the previous night and the presence of Indians was indicated. He reached the yar unmolested and vaulted the fence only to find himself in the midst of a band of savages, who were hiding under the wall and watching for a chance to take him prisoner. He got back over the fence and took to his heels with the Indians after him. When his pursuers found that he could outrun them, they fired, and several bullets passed through his hat, but he reached shelter unharmed. On another occasion, when he had been in the forest cutting timber, he was overtaken by darkness. He met some Indians who were apparently peaceably disposed, but so anxious to detain him that he suspected something wrong, and upon investigation at home found an Indian in the act of setting fire to his haymow. He struck the incendiary with his fist so hard that he thought he had killed him. During the night, however, the redskin got away or was taken away by others.
Woodside died in 1764. Deacon Samuel Stanwood, his son-in-law, was executor of his eatate.
He married Ann Vincent, of Brunswick.
1. James, born July 18, 1727.
2. Vincent, born Sept. 25, 1729.
3. Anna, born Aug. 19, 1731.
4. William, born Oct. 11, 1733, mentioned below.
5. Mary, born Jan. 20, 1735.
6. Mary, born March 5, 1738.
7. Anthony, born May 23, 1740.
8. Jean, born May 14, 1742.
9. Sarah, born Jan. 13, 1744.
(III) William, son of William Woodside, born Oct. 11, 1733, married Katherine Hayden.
1. Elizabeth, married a Mr. Keith.
2. Susannah, married Nathaniel Merriman.
6. Mary, married John Dunning March 20, 1820.
8. Rebecca, married Charles Toothacker.
10. Huldah, married Eliphalet Parshley.