Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


The name of Williams is of ancient Welsh origin, and has become one of the most prolific names in Great Britain and America. In Wales it was formerly Ap Williams, and it is worthy of note that Morgan ap Williams, of Glamorganshire, gentleman, married a sister of Lord Thomas Cromwell, afterward Earl of Essex, who was an ancestor of the famous Puritan reformer, Oliver Cromwell.

(I) Thomas Williams, the first American ancestor of this line, came from England, Feb. 18, 1717, "when gooseberries were in blow," and reached Boston Apri 17, 1717, "when the snow was very deep." He probably died at Bath, Maine, but the exact date is not known. He was employed in teaching Latin in Boston, and subsequently removed to Maine. Thomas Williams lived at Winnegance in 1729, and remaining there became the first permanent settler of Bath. It is said that he was a physician, and that he often expressed regrets at having left England.
The name of the wife of Thomas Williams cannot be ascertained, but there were at last three sons, and one daughter, who married James Hunter, of Topsham. Thomas, one of the sons, married Margaret Drummond in 1746, and was lieutenant of the Georgetown militia in 1746. George, another son, signed a petition for a new parish in Georgetown in 1753, which parish afterwards became the town of Bath. The sketch of Samuel is found in the succeeding paragraph.

(II) Samuel, son of Thomas Williams, was born about 1730, probably in what is now Bath, Maine, and died in that neighborhood about 1800. In 1761 he bought parts of lots on SEbascodigan or Great Island, Harpswell; and he was living at "Duck Cove" in 1799.
On Sept. 14, 1744, he married Mercy, daughter of Anthony and Mercy (Hodgkins) Coombs, of Brunswick. Anthony Coombs was originally from Gloucester, Mass., and migrated to Falmouth, and thence to New Meadows, Brunswick, in 1739. Mrs. Mercy (Coombs) Williams died in Thomaston, Maine, in Sept., 1824, aged ninety-four years.
Samuel (2), who lived on the island.
Benjamin, Daniel and Peter, who all moved to Thomaston.
George, whose sketch follows.
The name of Samuel Williams occurs twice on the revolutionary rolls, and it is thought that both father and son were in the service. Samuel Williams enlisted June 10, 1775, and served two months and four days as a private in Captain James Curtis's company. He re-enlisted Aug. 19, 1775, and served five months and five days. A Samuel Williams of Harpswell was sergeant in Captain Nathaniel Larrabee's company, enlisting July 9, 1775, and serving six months and seven days. It is thought these were father and son.

(III) George, son of Samuel and Mercy (Coombs) Williams, was born at Harpswell, Maine, Aug. 3, 1777, and died at Durham, Nov. 1, 1853. He was a carpenter and farmer and lived most of his life in Durham, though there was a period of about twenty years, ending in 1825, when he made his home in Lewiston.
About 1800 he married Mabel, daughter of Noah and Mabel (Wade) Litchfield, of South Lewiston. She was born in Scituate, Mass. Feb. 29, 1780, and died at Durham Nov. 1, 1853. Her father, Noah Litchfield, was born in Scituate, Jan. 24, 1753, and on July 9, 1778, married Mabel Wade, of Scituate, who was born June 9, 1758. Noah Litchfield was the first town clerk of Lewiston, and died Nov. 17, 1827; his wife died July 12, 1838.
Children of George & Mabel (Litchfield) Williams:
1. Charles, b. Aug. 17, 1801, married Eleanor Randall.
2. Samuel, b. Dec. 18, 1802, married Eliza F. Thomas.
3. Mary Louisa, b. Sept. 2, 1804.
4. Barnard, whose sketch follows.
5. Lucinda, b. Nov. 26, 1808, died March 13, 1810.
6. Aurelia C., b. Aug. 15, 1810, married James Jack.
7. Lucinda, b. March 30, 1812, married Joseph Webster.
8. Sumner George, b. Dec. 20, 1813, married Ann Wood.
9. Elvira, b. Nov. 13, 1815, married Jesse Snow.
10. Mabel Jane, b. Nov. 24, 1817, married Nelson Strout.
11. Otis, b. Oct. 1, 1819.
12. Minerva, b. July 14, 1822, married Jeremiah Dingley (2).
13. Vesta Ann, b. Nov. 5, 1824, married Harrison Strout.

(IV) Barnard, third son of George and Mabel (Litchfield) Williams, was born Feb. 15, 1807, at Lewiston, Maine, and died at Durham. When a youth he returned with his parents to the old home at Durham, and there he spent his long and useful life. He was a man of irreproachable character, and a good citizen.
About 1840 he married Elizabeth Augusta, daughter of Jacob (2) and Abigail (Scott) Herrick, and granddaughter of Rev. Jacob Herrick, of Durham. She was born Feb. 9, 1815, and died Jun 21, 1864.
1. George Jacob, born Nov. 11, 1842, was nine years a sailor, but died on land, being killed Dec. 17, 1870, be being thrown from a carriage by a frightened horse.
2. Oscar Scott, b. July 2, 1844, graduated from Bowdoin College in 1870, was superintendent of schools in Dedham, Mass., at the time of his death, Oct. 11, 1893; married in 1871, Sylvia T. M. Brooks, daughter of Ham Brooks, of Lewiston; left several children.
3. Charles Edward, whose sketch follows.
4. Josiah Herrick, b. Aug. 4, 1849, graduated from Famington Normal School, and while managing the homestead has successfully taught schools, and is now superintendent of the schools at Durham; married Dec. 7, 1872, Edith T. Norton, of Matinicus, Maine; child: Ralph.
5. Elizabeth Augusta, b. Dec. 1, 1855, died April 18, 1856.
6. Fred McClellan, b. Jan. 16, 1857, married Ida F. Scamman, of Saco, and died at Lynn, Mass. Nov. 19, 1897, leaving no children.

(V) Charles Edward, third son of Barnard and Elizabeth A. (Herrick) Williams, was graduated from the Farmington Normal school and taught several years. He studied medicine at Bowdoin College, and two years in a New York hospital, and has practiced at Auburn, Maine, for some years. On March 3, 1872, he married Emma J. Harlow, of Livermore Falls.
Ethel Elizabeth, married to Dr. Archer Jordan, of Auburn, Oct. 16, 1902.

Blind Counter