Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


A voluminous account of various Warren families in New England was compiled by the late Rev. Dr. Israel Perkins Warren, of Portland; and from that account the following narrative has been taken.
"The family of Warren has been traced by English writers to a Norman baron of Danish extraction. The Normans and Danes were united in their efforts to make a settlement in the northern part of France and ultimately succeeded in obtaining a footing in that part of the country which from the Normans took the name of Normandy. One of these barons became connected by marriage with considerable families as is related in the following account of an Engish author -
"The Danish knignt" had Gunnora, Herfastus, Wevia, Werina, Duvelina and Sainfra." "Of these Gunnora married Richard Duke of Normandy, who had Richard, the father also of Richard, who dying without issue was succeeded in the dukedom by his brother Robert, the father of William the Conqueror; who by Maud, daughter of Baldwin, Earl of Flanders, had Robert Duke of Normandy, Richard, Duke of Bernay, in Normandy; William King of England, Henry King of England, and several daughters; one of whom, named Gunered, was married to William, the first Earl of Warren and Surrey." "Werina, according to a large Pedigree in the possession of Sir George Warren, drawn up and signed by W. Flower, Norroy, and R. Glover, Somerset Herald in 1580, married Asmunddle Comitiis villa (according to some authorities, though the statement is disputed by others). This Werina is said to have had by the said Osmund Hugh Capet, King of France; who had Henry, King of France; who had Hugh the Great, brother to Philip, King of France. This Hugh was Earl of Vermandois in the right of Adela, his wife, daughter and heiress of Herbert, fourth Earl of Vermandois. Hugh had Isabel married to William, Earl Warren, as above, a match in a very high degree honorable to the family of Warren, as it connected them with the blood royal of France as before they had been with the blood royal of England." "The first Warren known on the English soil was William, Earl de Warren, who accompanied William the Conqueror, and who, having married the fourth daughter of William, Gundreda, we may believe to have been one of his principal and confidential auxiliaries. He took an important part in the battle of Hastings, 1066, and his services were so highly estimated by the Conqueror that he gave him lands in almost every county in England. Eight Earls de Warren succeeded to the title and estates of William, Earl de Warren, and finally the eighth earl, by contract with King Edward III, gave up his title and immense property to the King, because he had no direct legal heir."
From younger sons of Duke of Warren various families claim to have sprung; and Warren both in England and America is a very common name.

(I) Richard Warren, merchant of London, but not one of the "Pilgrims" who went to Leyden, Holland, came to Plymouth in the "Mayflower" in 1620, and died in 1628. He married, before coming to America, Elizabeth March, widow, whose maiden name was Juat or Pratt. She and their five daughters came to Plymouth in the third ship, 1623. After the death of her husband Mrs. Warren joined with the first purchasers of Dartmouth. She died Oct. 2, 1673, aged ninety years.
Mary, Anne, Sarah, Elizabeth, Abigail, Nathaniel and Joseph.
The daughters all married active men of the colony.

(II) Nathaniel, son of Richard and Elizabeth Warren, was born in Plymouth and died in 1667. He and his brother were prominent men of the colony, and their names occur often in the "Old Colony Records."
Nathaniel married, Nov., 1665, Sarah Walker, who died in 1700.
Richard, Jabez, Sarah, Hope, Jane, Elizabeth, Alice, Mercy, Mary, John and James.

(III) Richard (2), eldest child of Nathaniel and Sarah (Walker) Warren, was born in 1646, and removed to Middleborough, where he died in 1696. The name of his wife is not known.
James, Samuel, and John.

(IV) John, youngest son of Richard (2) Warren, was born in 1690, and died in Middleborough, March 3, 1768, aged seventy-eight years. He married (first) Naomie; and (second) Ann Read, who died Jan. 8, 1770, aged sixty-nine. He made his will Jan., 1768, and mentions therein his wife Ann, a daughter Ann, and sons James, Nathaniel and Nehemiah.

(V) James, son of John Warren, of Middleborough, is not mentioned in the Middleborough records. A James Warren appears in Woodbridge, Connecticut, where he is married by Rev. Benjamin Woodbridge, of Amity, July, 1744, to Abigail Thomas. From such information as he could obtain, Rev. Dr. Israel P. Warren believed this James to be the son of John Warren, of Middleborough.
James Warren lived in what is now Bethany. There is a tradition that he came from Ireland. No trace of the name is to be found in the New Haven records until the above. Mrs. Richards, his granddaughter, with whom is widow lived many years, says that he used to carry his wife behind him on horseback to church at New Haven. He died during the revolution at the North (probably Ticonderoga), where he had gone to take care of his son Edward, then a solider and sick. His widow died at the home of her son Edward, Sept. 13, 1806.
Jason, Sarah, Rachel, Abigial, Nathaniel, Jemima, Edward and Richardson.

(VI) Nathaniel (2), fifth child and second son of James and Abigail (Thomas) Warren, born in that part of New Haven then Amity Society, now Woodbridge, New Haven county, Connecticut, Jan. 15, 1755, died in Watertown, March 8, 1836, aged eighty-one. He was a shoemaker and a soldier. He resided in Woodbridge during the war of the revolution, and afterward removed to Watertown, Litchfield county.
He volunteered in May, 1776, under Capt. Nathaniel Johnson, embarked on board a vessel commanded by Col. William Douglass, of Connecticut, and joined his regiment in New York city. He was stationed in Broad street, from whence he was ordered to Long Island when the British landed. After the battle of August 27, 1776, he retreated with the army in the night to New York city, and when it was evacuated Sept. 15, 1776, he was ordered to Turtle Bay and to Harlem Heights. There was skirmishing on the route. He was taken sick and was sent with other sick soldiers to Horse Neck, a part of Greenwich, Conn. On his recovery he joined his regiment at Wright's Mills, soon after the battle at White Plains, Oct. 28, 1776. He was dischared at Peekskill, at Christmas.
After the war he had a pension of $48 a year. About 1793 he went to Norwich, where he called his name Nathan Warner, and resided there some years. He died in Watertown, March 8, 1836, aged eighty-one.
He married (first) Aug. 7, 1780, Susanna Johnson, who procured a divorce from him and subsequently married Levi Hotchkiss, of Derby, where she died March 20, 1839. He married (second) Mary Wedge, born Dec. 23, 1771, at Franklin, Conn. She survived him many years, residing in New York city. She was living in 1855.
Children of 1st wife:
Betsey, Charles, Marshall, Isaac, Miles, Susan.
Children of 2d wife:
Gurdon, Henry, and a daughter who died young.

(VII) Isaac, fourth child and third son of Nathaniel (2) and Susanna (Johnson) Warren, born Dec. 23, 1787, died in Goshen, Conn., Dec. 14, 1857. He was a shoemaker. After his marriage he settled in Bethany, Conn., where he lived till 1841, and accumulated a handsome property. He was a man of superior natural endowments, having especially great fondness for history and poetry. Some of his own poetical compositions possessed considerable merit. But for his unfortunate habits he would have been a superior member of society. [trans. note: this drives me nuts. What unforunate habits?? Come on, you get us all curious then dump us.]
He married, Sept. 12, 1812, Leonora Perkins, who died in Scranton, Pennsylvania, Oct. 22, 1878. She was an estimable woman and valued member of the Congregational church in Bethany, with which she united in 1837.
Israel Perkins, William Edward, Susan Harriet, Isaac Watts, Harris Franklin, Cornelia Ann and George Frederick.

(VIII) Rev. Dr. Israel Perkins, eldest child of Isaac and Leonard (Perkins) Warren, born April 8, 1814, died Oct. 9, 1892. He was named for is grandfather, Israel Perkins, with whom he resided from the age of ten to fifteen years. From the fall of 1829 he was a clerk in the grocery of Amos Thomas, of New Haven, till the spring in 1830. He then went to learn the trailor's trade with E. M. Payne, of Naugatuck, but after three months went to live with B. W. Root, then of Southbury, where he remained in the same pursuit till the fall of 1831. In the spring of that year he became hopefully pious in a revival in that place and united with the Congregational church of Southbury by profession Nov. 6, 1831. Shortly after he commenced a course of study for the ministry.
He taught the center district school in Bethany in the winter of 1832-33, and the center district school in Cheshire in the winter of 1833-34, studying in the summers and while in school as he was able. Having no resources except character and energy, he was received as a beneficiary of the American Education Society in 1834, and in the same year entered the freshman class of Yale College. He joined the Society of Brothers in Unity, and in his junior year was elected a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society. He delivered a dissertation at junior exhibition, in 1837, and also at commencement, 1838, when he graduated.
In May, 1838, while still a member of the college, he became principal of the academy in Upper Middletown (now Cromwell) Connecticut, at a salary of five hundred dollars a year, and remained there till Oct., 1839, when he entered the junior class of the Yale Theological Seminary. By special permission of the faculty during his middle year he took the studies and lectures of that and the senior year together.
June 1, 1841, he was licensed to preach by the Hartford South Association at their session in Glastonbury, Conn. Soon after he began an engagement to preach in Granby, Conn., as stated supply, and was ordained and installed pastor there April 20, 1842. After a ministry of three years he was at his own request dismissed, May 1, 1845, and resided during the next year at the home of his father-in-law, Captain Thomas Stow, in Cromwell, preaching as he had opportunity. July 8, 1846, he was installed pastor of the chuch in Mt. Carmel, Hamden, whence he was dismissed at his own request, Sept., 1851. In the same month he received a call from the Third Church in Guilford, Conn., which he declined. Oct. 2 following he was installed pastor of the First Church in Plymouth, Connecticut, from which he was dismissed Feb. 3, 1856. After preaching for a few weeks in various places, he recieved a call to be pastor of the Second Congregational Church in Manchester, which he declined, and subsequently made a visiting tour of the West.
During an engagement of three weeks at Grand Rapids, Michigan, he received notice of his appointment as associate secretary of the American Seaman's Friend Society at New York, which he accepted and entered on the duties of that office July 1, 1856. He continued there till Feb., 1859, when he was appointed district secretary of the American Tract Society of Boston, to reside in New York city. This he accepted, and in May following was appointed secretary to go to Boston and take charge of the publication department of the Society.
The following is a list of the works published by him as author or compiler, not including the publication of the society which were edited by him:
"The Sisters," 283 pages; "Sadduceeism," 66 pages; "The Crossbearer," 206 pages; "Snow Flakes," 146 Pages; "The Freedman's Primer," 64 pages; "Spelling Book," 160 pages; "Second Reader," 160 pages; "Third Reader," 264 pages; "Commentary on the Gospels," 386 pages; "The Soldier's Hymn Book, " 64 pages; "George N. Briggs," 64 pages; "Death of the Soul," 28 pages; "How to Repent; How to Believe; Corpse in the Ball Dress (tract), 17 pages; "Pemberton Mill," 43 pages; "How to Begin to be a Christian," 75 pages.
July 15, 1868, he received the honorary degree of D. D. from Iowa College, Grinnell, Iowa. Jan. 1, 1869, he resigned his office as secretary, and entered into partnership with Erastus Blakeslee, of Boston, a publishers and booksellers in Boston, Mass. In June following he was appointed general agent of the American Tract Society, with Mr. Blakeslee as depository, and served in this capacity till May, 1870. He then resumed business for himself. In 1872 he joined the firm of Broughton & Wyman in New York in the same business. The next year Mr. Broughton retired and the firm became Warren & Wyman. Severe financial depression coming on, the firm made assignment and discontinued business in Nov., 1875.
In October, 1875, Dr. Warren was appointed editor of the Christian Mirror, and moved to Lewiston, Maine. April 1, 1877, he purchased the paper and removed it and his family back to Portland, and was its owner and publisher. In addition to the books above enumerated he later worte and published "Oarousia"; "Chauncey Judd," 314 pages; "Three Judges," 303 pages; "Our Father," 355 pages, and "The Stanley Family of American," and "Revelation," 352 pages.
He was a man of great energy and activity, and was all his active life one of the foremost of his profession in good works. His labors made a deep and lasting impression upon those congregations to which he ministered.
He married (first) Aug. 21, 1841, Jane Stanely STOW, of Cromwell, by Rev. Zebulon Crocker. She was the daughter of Captain Thomas and Phoebe Stow; was born Dec. 13, 1811, died Feb. 26, 1881. He married (second) Jan. 2, 1882, Mrs. Sarah Lewis Cushman, of Portland, Maine, who died Nov. 26, 1885. He married (third) Oct. 6, 1886, Juliet Marion Stanley, of Winthrop, Maine. The last wife was for some time assistant editor of the Christian Mirror, and after Dr. Warren's death its editor for a considerable time.
Children of Rev. I. P. and Jane Stanely (Stow):
Jane Lenora, Stanley Perkins and Lillie Jane.
Annie Margaret was an adopted daughter.

(IX) Stanley Perkins, second child and only son of Rev. Dr. Israel P. and Jane Stanley (Stow) Warren, was born in Mount Carmel (Hamden) Connecticut, Sept. 15, 1846. When about three years of age he was taken by his parents on their removal to Plymouth, where he resided until they went to new York city in 1856. He attended the grammar school department of the old University of New York and the sixth avenus public school, and during the summer of 1859 was at Munson Academy in Munson, Mass. The family began residence in 1859 in Boston, Mass., and he entered the Boston Latin school that fall. In 1863 he left that school to enter Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., from which he graduated in the class of 1865. Entering Yale University as a freshman the same year he graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1869. The first of July following he moved to Bridgeport, Conn., and engaged in business as an agent of the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company, and filled that place until 1873, when he resigned.
He began the study of medicine in Feb., 1872, under the preceptorship of Robert Hubbard, M. D., of Bridgeport. He took his first course of medical lectures at the Yale Medical School during the session of 1872-73, and his second course at the College of Physicians and Surgeons (now the medical department of Columbia University), during 1873-74, receiving the degree of M. D. from Yale University in 1874. Practicing his profession in Bridgeport, Conn., until 1876, he then removed to Farmington, Maine, where he was active in his profession until Oct., 1879, when he removed to Portland, where he has since continuously resided and practiced for about thirty years. He has made a specialty of obstetrics, and is the author of "Principlef of Obstetrics," published by Wood & Company, New York, 1903. He is now obstetrician to the Maine General Hospital and consulting physician to the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary of Portland. He is medical examiner and nominator for several insurance companies, member of the America Medical Association, the Maine Medical Association, several private medical societies, the Maine Historical Society, the Portland Club, the Portland Board of Trade.
In politics he is a Republican. He was a member of the board of supervisors of Portland schools 1896-98, and was re-elected in 1903, serving continuously till the present time, his term of office expiring in 1909. He became a member of the Congregational church at Bridgeport, Conn., was a member of the same church at Farmington, Maine, and since he began his residence in Portland has been a member of the State Street Congregational Church. He was superintendent of Sunday school in Bridgeport, and has held other church positions.
He married, in New Haven, Conn., Sept. 15, 1860, Sarah Elizabeth North, born Feb. 22, 1848, second daughter of John Goodrich and Betsy (Dickinson) NORTH, of New Haven. Mr. North was always engaged in life and fire insurance in New Haven, and prominent in Sunday school work and in the Congregatinal church, a philanthropist, and a leading citizen of the city.
John Goodrich North, 1823-1892, was the son of Lemuel North, 1786-1875, and Rebecca Goodrich; son of David North, 1734-1816, and Sarah Wilcox, 1739-1775. These Norths were direct descendants of John North, the original settler who came to New England in the ship, "Susan and Ellen," and settled in Farmington, Conn. in 1630. He was probably a descendant of the great family of the English Norths, though there is no documentary proof of the same.
John Goodrich NORTH married Betsy Dickinson, of New Haven, who was born 1821 and is still (1908) living. She was daughter of Raphael Dickinson of New Haven, and Nancy McNeil. He was son of Olvier Dickinson, of Littlefield, who was a soldier in the revolutionary war, 1757-1847, and Anna Landon, 1760-1849. Nancy McNeil was daughter of Capt. William and Huldah (Augor) McNeil. He was the son of Archibald and Sarah (Clark) NcNeil. For many generations these famlies resided in Connecticut.


The following line of Warren which appears very early in Watertown, Mass., has a branch in Grafton, which is now represented by a prominent family in Westbrook, Maine.

(I) John Warren came to America probably in 1630, in the fleet with Sir Richard Saltonstall. He was then forty-five years of age. He settled in Waterbury, Mass., was admitted freeman May 18, 1631, and was selectman from 1636 to 1640. In 1635 he and Abraham Brown were appointed to lay out all highways, and to see that they were repaired. His homestall lot in 1672 contained twelve acres. He also owned seven other lots, amounting to one hundred and seventy-six acres. Oct., 1651, he and Thomas Arnold were each fined twently shillings for an offense against the laws concerning baptism. March 14, 1659, he was to be warned for not attending public worship; but "Old Warren is not to be found in town." April 4, 1654, he was fined for neglect of public worship, fourteen Sabbaths, each five shillings - total three pounds ten shillings. May 27, 1661, the houses of "Old Warren and Goodman Hammond" were ordered to be seached for Quakers. Mr. Warren seems to have agreed in religious sentiments with Dr. John Clark of Newport, Nathaniel Briscoe, Sr., who returned from Watertown to England, Thomas Arnold, who moved from Watertown to Providence. They were probably all Baptists.
John Warren married, in England, Margaret ____, who died Nov. 6, 1662. He died Dec. 13, 1667, aged eighty-two. His will, dated Nov. 30, proved Dec. 17, 1667, mentions the following children, all born in England:
John, Mary, Daniel, Elizabeth.

(II) Captain John (2), eldest son of John (1) and Margaret Warren, was born in England, in 1622, and settled in Watertown with his parents. He was made a freeman May 18, 1645, selectman in 1676. His will, dated Jan. 12, was proved Feb. 22, 1703.
He married, July 11, 1667, Michal, widow of Richard Bleys, and daughter of Robert Jennison. She died July 14, 1713. Her inventory amounted to one hundred and fifty pounds, three shillings.
Margaret, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, John, Grace, Samuel.

(III) John (3), eldest son of John (2) and Michal (Jennison) (Bleys) Warren, was born in Watertown, May 21, 1678, and resided in Weston. His estate was administered upon by widow Lydia, July 29, 1726. His inventory footed 391 lbs. 4s. 11d.
He married (first), Abigail Hastings, born Dec. 8, 1679, daughter of John and Abigail (Hammond) Hastings, of Watertown. She died July 19, 1710, and he married (second), May 14, 1711, Lydia Fiske. She survived her husband and married second, in Weston, June 17, 1730, Benjamin Harrington.
John, Sarah, Samuel, Thomas, David, Benjamin, Abigail and William.

(IV) Captain Samuel, second son of John (3) and Abigail (Hastings) Warren, was born March 18, 1704, and died Jan. 26, 1775. Samuel Warren removed from Weston to Grafton in 1730, as is shown by the following extract from the church record: "S. Warren is a person free from public scandal and (in charity) is meet for church communion." Signed, "William Williams," pastor of the church in Weston."
He was one of the original members of the First Church of Grafton, and his daughter Sarah was the first white child baptized there. Tradition says he bought his land of the Indians. He built hiks first house of logs, some distance south of the house now standing built by his grandson John. He commanded a company that marched for the relief of Fort William Henry, March 26, 1757.
He married, at Weston, Aug. 26, 1728, Tabitha Stone, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Waite) Stone.
Samuel, Sarah, Rebecca, Abigail, John, Tabitha, William, David, Joseph and Martha.

(V) Captain Joseph, fifth son of Capt. Samuel and Tabitha (Stone) Warren, was born April 22, 1745, and died July 19, 1808. In Feb., 1763, he was a private in Capt. Ebenezer Cox's company, in His Majesty's service. He was sergeant in Capt. Luke Drury's company that marched from Grafton to Lexington, April 19, 1775. In April, 1776, he was second lieutenant in Capt. Nathaniel Sherman's company, Colonel John Goulding's regiment. Aug. 1, 1777, he commanded a company which marched to the relief of Bennington, and again Aug. 16, and in Sept.
He married, March 28, 1765, Lois Lyon, born 1746, died Feb. 7, 1816.
Samuel, John, Sally, Tabitha, Lois, Phila and Delphia.

(VI) John (4), second son of Capt. Joseph and Lois (Lyon) Warren, was born Nov. 28, 1767, and died June 17, 1828. He left home soon after attaining his majority, and began to clear and pay for a farm in New Hampshire. This farm he soon sold, and in the year 1798 formed a partnership with Jonathan Wheeler. About 1815 he withdrew from the firn of Wheeler, Warren & Chase, and retired to his farm where his father and grandfather had lived from time to time. By puchase he added many acres more, and about the year 1804 he built the house now standing. As a business man he was systematic and clear-headed; and a balance sheet still in existence shows his methodical habits. After his retirement to his farm he was much interested in town affairs. He had a marked domestic taste and was of a mirthful temperament, and his neighbors enjoyed his jokes and were fond of repeating them. He once sent a boy, not overbright, to the mill to have some grain ground. Before the boy left for the mill Mr. Warren told him that the miller was a very sharp man, and he must see that the miller did not cheat him. When the boy returned from the mill, Mr. Warren asked him what success he had had and if the miller had treated him all right; the boy replied that the miller, when he thought he was not looking, took some of Mr. Warren's grain out of the hopper and put it with his own. "Then what did you do?" asked Mr. Warren. "When he was not looking I put it back again," replied the boy. The miller was often reminded by Mr. Warren of his trying to cheat a poor half-witted boy.
John Warren married, May 20, 1797, Polly Chapin, who died June 4, 1804; he married (second) Oct. 14, 1804, Susannah Grout, who was a woman of rare wisdom and force of character. She was born in 1780 and died Dec. 23, 1837.
Children of 1st marriage:
Mary C., John A. and Caroline F.
Children of 2d marriage:
Sally H., Anna G., Joseph D. (died young), Jonathan M., Samuel A., Susanna C., Joseph A., Samuel D., Sally E., Adelia M. and Hannah L.

(VII) Joseph A., fourth son of John and Susannah (Grout) Warren, was born in Grafton, June 17, 1815, and died in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, June, 1903. He was educated in the common schools, and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1841 he went to Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, where his elder brother, Jonathan M. had a flour mill and was a prominent citizen. Joseph A. was a pioneer settler, an industrious and respected business man. He bought a farm in 1839 on which he lived until his death.
He was a Republican from the formation of that party until his death. He was one of the founders of the Congregational church in Wauwatosa, and contributed liberally toward the building of the house of worship erected there.
He married (first), in 1836, Sarah H., daughter of Ebenezer Potter, of Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire.
1. Maria S., married H. R. Hayden, of Hartford, Connecticut.
2. John E., mentioned below.
3. Sarah H., who died in 1864.
He married (second), Harriet F. Green.
4. George H., who died in 1860.
5. Harriet F., who died in 1880.
6. Carrie G., still living in Wauwatosa.

(VIII) John E., only son of Joseph A. and Sarah H. (Potter) Warren, was born in Grafton, Mass., 1840, taken by his parents to Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, in 1841, and educated in the public schools. After leaving school he taught for two winters and farmed the remainder of the year. At the outbreak of the civil war he responded to the first call for volunteers and enlisted in Company B, First Wisconsin Infantry, a three months regiment, and served in the Harpers Ferry region during the term of enlistment. After the expiration of his term of enlistment he again enlisted in the Seventh Wisconsin Battery Light Artillery, and remained with it till the close of the war. He saw much active service; he participated in the battle of Falling Water, Virginia, July 2, 1861, the Siege of Island No. 10, in March, 1862, the battle of Parker's Cross Roads, West Tennessee, and Brice's Cross Roads, Mississippi. At the last-named place he and four comrades were captured and taken to Andersonville prison where he was kept five months. Three of those taken with him died in consequence. Mr. Warren served in the ranks, also as first sergeant, of that battery, and near the close of the war was detilaed to take charge of a battery manned by negroes, but the close of hostilities prevented his being commissioned, and he was discharged July, 1865.
He returned to Wisconsin, where he remained only a year, and in the fall of 1866 he came to Maine and entered the employ of his uncle, Samuel D. Warren, who owned and operated what is known as the Cumberand Mills, formerly the property of Day & Lyon. Here he was engineer and mechanic for some time, then general assitant, and in 1884 was made agent and general manager and has now (1909) filled those places for a quarter of a century.
Mr. Warren is a Republican and was the first won treasurer of Westbrook after its division into the towns of Westbrook and Deering. He was representative in the state legislature in 1873-74, and a member of the board of aldermen of the city of Westbrook four terms. He is a member of the Congregational church and one of its deacons, and is a trustee of the Maine Missionary Society and the Bangor Theological Seminary. He became a member of Cloudman Post, G.A.R., in 1884.
John E. Warren married Nov. 18, 1869, Sarah Harriet Brown, born Sept. 1841, daughter of Silas and Elizabeth Brown of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
1. Joseph A., mentioned below.
2. John B., died in 1882.
3. Mortimer, graduated from Bowdoin College and later from Johns Hopkins University as a doctor of medicine, and is now in New York city.
4. Lois, wife of Winfield S. Shaw, of Cambridge, Mass.

(IX) Joseph A., eldest child of John E. and Sarah H. (Brown) Warren, was born in Westbrook, Sept. 10, 1870. He attended the Westbrook schools and the Massachusetts Instiute of Technology, graduating from the latter in 1892, with the degree of civil engineer. Soon after graduation he entered the employ of S. D. Warren & Company, as engineer, and is now mill manager.
He is a Republican and was a member of the common council of Westbrook in 1898-99 and 1900, and mayor of the city in 1901-02-03.
He married, June, 1896, Georgia Pottle, born in Kittery, 1872, daughter of Rev. Abel and Martha E. Pottle, the former of West Maine Conference.
Sally, Martha, Jeanette, Georgia and Josephine.

Blind Counter