Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
John Trull, immigrant ancestor, born in 1633, died June 15, 1704. He had a brother Samuel, who married June 15, 1668, Ann Hall, and died leaving no issue. He was granted a six-acre lot in Billerica in 1658. He had previously been a tenant on the Shawshin river and Vine brook, and had lived in the Shawshin house. His home grant was sixteen acres lying in the northeast angle of the township, "part of which is his house lot, bounded by Golden More and John Poulter on south and ye commons elsewhere surrounding." In 1775 this was the Colonel Bridge place at the end of a lane leading east from Long street, later owned by Mrs. Farmer.
He married Dec. 11, 1657, Sarah French, born Oct., 1637, died Sept. 26, 1710, daughter of John French, of Cambridge.
1. John, born Jan. 13, 1658-59, died Feb. 1, 1658-59.
2. Sarah, born May 27, 1660.
3. Mary, born July 22, 1662, married Benjamin Parker.
4. John, born May 19, 1665, died June 22, 1665.
5. Elizabeth, born May 31, 1668, died July 11, 1668.
6. John, born July 13, 1669.
7. Hannah, born Oct. 15, 1671.
8. Samuel, born Dec. 7, 1673, mentioned below.
9. Joseph, born May 14, 1675, died June 25, 1675.
10. Enoch, born Oct. 12, 1676, died Dec. 12, 1676.
11. Joseph, born May 18, 1679, died Sept. 5, 1679.
12. Elizabeth, born May 13, 1681, died Dec. 16, 1681.
(II) Captain Samuel, son of John Trull, born Dec. 7, 1673, died April 15, 1706. He resided at Billerica and married Hannah _____.
1. Samuel, born Feb. 26, 1701-02.
2. Moses, born Jan. 18, 1703.
3. John, mentioned below.
(III) John (2), son of Capt. Samuel Trull, born in Billerica Oct. 23, 1705, married Mary Hunt.
1. Samuel, born Jan. 7, 1731-32, married Elizabeth Johnson.
2. Mary, born Dec. 27, 1733, married John Taylor.
3. John, born Feb. 5, 1737, married Esther Wyman.
4. Elizabeth, born Nov. 9, 1740, married Ebenezer Bailey.
5. David, mentioned below.
(IV) David, son of John Trull, was born June 22, 1744. He married (first) Deborah Harris; (second) Sarah Kelley. David Trull was a revolutionary soldier credited to the adjoining town of Dracut. He was in Captain Stephen Russell's company, Colonel Green's regiment, and answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775; in Capt. Joseph Bradley Varnum's company, Col. Simeon Spaulding's regiment, in 1777; a corporal in Capt. Varnum's company, Col. Jonathan Reed's regiment in 1777, in the second Dracut company of the continental army, the army of the north. His brothers, John and Samuel, of Billerica, were also in the revolution.
Children of 1st wife:
Mary, Rhoda, Sarah, David, Joel (b. 1780, mentioned below).
Children of 2d wife:
Phineas, Aaron, John, Polly, Silas, Cyrus, Deborah.
(V) Joel, son of David Trull, born in Dracut in 1780, died in Lyndon, Vermont, in 1855. He married in 1802, Meribah Davis, born in Lowell, Massachusetts, 1771, died in Burke, Vermont, Sept. 2, 1849. They removed to Burke in 1814.
1. Joel, born May 1, 1803, mentioned below.
2. Meribah, born March 9, 1806, died Oct. 25, 1878; married Horace Tyler, of Burke, Vermont.
3. Pamelia, born Nov. 6, 1814, died March 5, 1898.
(VI) Joel (2), son of Joel (1) Trull, born in Pelham, Mass., May 1, 1803, died in Burke, Vermont Jan. 14, 1884. He married, at Burke, July 15, 1827, Electa Hall, born in Burke, Oct. 9, 1804, died July 3, 1883.
Children, all but David b. at Burke:
1. David, born April 16, 1828, mentioned below.
2. Susan Eugenia, born Jan. 26, 1832, died Nov. 12, 1859; married Proctor Jacobs, March 18, 1857.
3. Lucy Aurora, born May 22, 1839, married, Sept. 29, 1863, Alanson W. Davis: child: Clara Electa Davis, b. Nov. 7, 1864, m. Jan. 9, 1890, Arthur F. Walker, of St. Johnsbury, b. June 25, 1865, d. Jan. 20, 1899, and had Louise Davis Walker, b. Dec. 3, 1890, d. Nov. 20, 1893.
4. Electa Victoria, born May 1, 1843, died Dec. 15, 1896; married Oct. 19, 1865, R. Perry Porter, b. June 5, 1842; children: i. Fred Trull Porter, b. Oct. 27, 1866, m. Sept. 11, 1889, Esther M. Stevens of Lyndon, Vermont, b. 1867, and had Maurice P. Porter, b. June 19, 1890, Mabel E. Porter, b. Dec. 18, 1891, and Robert P. Porter, b. Oct. 28, 1894; ii. Nellie Aurora Porter, b. Nov. 16, 1868, m. Sept. 3, 1890, Ray B. Ruggles, of Burke, Vermont; iii. David Eugene Porter, b. July 16, 1872, m. Oct. 1, 1902, Amelia Wolff, of New Haven, Connecticut; iv. Grace May Porter, b. March 6, 1885, d. Aug. 15, 1891.
(VII) David (2), son of Joel (2) Trull, born in Sutton, Vermont, April 16, 1828, died in Newport, Vermont, May 16, 1893. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at Lyndon Academy, Lyndon, Vermont. He succeeded his father as hotel keeper at West Burke, Vermont, and continued in that business for thirty years. In politics he was a Republican, and acted as moderatorin town meetings many times. He was chairman of the selectmen and of the school board. He was deputy sheriff of Caledonia county, Vermont for thirty years, and high sheriff five years.
He was a member of Passumsic Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons at St. Johnsbury, Vermont; of Palestime Commandery, Knights Templar; Mount Sinai Temple; Haswell Royal Arch Chapter; and a member of the Knights of Pythias at St. Johnsbury.
He retired from active business and lived at St. Johnsbury for five years. In religion he was a Universalist.
He married April, 8, 1856, Cornelia Jenness.
1. Addie Ione, born Oct. 27, 1858, married April 18, 1885, Henry B. Cushman; child, Cornelia Magdalene Cushman, b. May 7, 1887.
2. Mary Susan, born Nov. 16, 1860, died Dec. 3, 1864.
3. Aurora Cornelia, born Oct. 9, 1864, married March 5, 1889, Robert B. Rayner; children: i. David Trull Rayner, b. Aug. 28, 1891; ii. Mary Rayner, b. July 26, 1894; iii. Balmer Jenness Rayner, b. Dec. 25, 1896.
4. Joel Frank, mentioned below.
(VIII) Dr. Joe Frank, son of David (2) Trull, was born at West Burke, Vermont, June 12, 1868. He attended the public schools of his native town and St. Johnsbury Academy, where he prepared for college. He was graduated at Dartmouth College in 1891 with the degree of A. B., and studied the profession of medicine at the Medical School of Boston University, graduating in 1894 with the degree of M. D. In the same year he opened an office in Biddeford, Maine, and has had a large practice in that city. He built the Trull Hospital in Biddeford in 1900. It was destroyed by fire in March, 1906, and rebuilt immediately, the new building having double the capacity of the old. The demand for accomodations at this institution may be understood when it is known that it is the only homeopathic hospitl between Biddeford and Boston.
Dr. Trull is a member of the American Institute of Medicine, Mass. State and Maine State socieities. In politics he is a Republican. In religion he is a Congregationalist. He is a member of Passumpic Lodge of Free Masons; of Haswell Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; of Bradford Commandery, Knights Templar, and of Kora Temple.
He married Dec. 24, 1894, Jennie Cross, born July 5, 1870, daughter of George H. Cross, of St. Johnsbury, Vermont. She was a graduate of St. Johnsbury Academy, 1889, and Smith College, 1893.