Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The Tobie family of England is a reputable one, and its records go back into the past for centuries. The scripture name Tobias is probably the source whence comes this name. Whether the early immigrants of this name were in any manner related is impossible to determine. Four Tobies were in New England in the early days of the colonies.
Francis was a transient resident of Boston in 1635;
Henry was a resident of Exeter, N. H., "5th day, 4th month, 1639";
James, mentioned below, lived in Kittery, Maine;
Thomas was at Sandwich, Mass., 1644.
(I) James Tobie was in Kittery in the district of Maine at a very early day, probably in the year 1665. The earliest date when a grant of land was made to him from the town (in its regular distribution to settlers) is June 24, 1687. But there is mention in the records of the county court for the year 1669 of a witness in the case of Mary Green, named "Katherine Tobee." It has been suggested that this may have been the first wife of James Tobie. He was the father of a considerable family, some of which were of age in 1688, indicating that James was adult as early as 1665 certainly; this would designate his birth date at about 1640; but there is no means of fixing his age. He seems to have been a farmer, and in deeds describes himself as "yeoman." There appears to be no doubt that he was an Englishman, since if he were otherwise the town and county records would have had mention of it, as the fact of the nationality of immigrants not of English birth was mentioned with great particularity. The property he left at his death indicates that he was a man of energy and industry, as he possessed more than the average amount for that community at that day.
The Northern Indians often made raids on the settlers along the coast, killing, scalping, burying and taking prisoners. "On one of the most savage of these raids, the diary of Pike tells that 'Old James Tobie of Kittery and his son James were killed,' along with others."
Sept. 2, 1695, Mr. Tobie by deed conveyed the greater part of his estate to his sons. After his death the remainder of the estate was administered upon by his son Stephen.
James Tobie married, before 1659, a wife who was the mother of his children, and her name is supposed, on the strength of the evidence above given, to have been Katherine. After her death James Tobie married Ann Hanscomb, widow of Thomas Hanscomb, a former citizen of Kittery. She survived Mr. Tobie and was living in 1720, when the Hanscomb estate was finally divided.
Children, birthdates unknown:
Stephen, James, John, William, Richard, Isaac, Margaret and Mary.
(II) Richard, son of James Tobie, born about 1676, cordwainer, removed to Portsmouth, N. H., where his record shows him to have been an energetic and provident man, a person of substance and a useful citizen. He was elected constable in 1720, but preferred to pay the stated ine rather than perform the duties of the office. He was tythingman in 1721-22, which shows that he was a church member. He had property of various kinds and owned land in the new plantation of Barrington, which he sold in 1739. He was in the military service in the time of the Indian wars. "Richard Tobey" is on the list of Portsmouth men who served from Aug. 30 to Sept. 10, 1708, in "A list of Souldiers Names, and Time they Served att her Majesties fflourt Wm. and Mary; at New Castle in the province of New Hampshire, New England, 1708." "Richd Robey" is enrolled as "from Coll. Vaughans," in "A Muster Roll of the Souldiers under My Command in A Scout 1721," filed by Capt. James Davis.
He died probably about 1746. He married Martha, daughter of Samuel Heard, of Dover, N. H. She was "received into ye Covenant and baptized" in the Portsmouth church, July 14, 1708, and was among the members of the church at the ordination of Rev. Samuel Langdon, in 1747.
Samuel, Martha, William, Isaac, Catherine, Experience, Lydia, Sarah, Abigial and Mary.
(III) Isaac, third son of Richard and Martha (Heard) Tobie, was born in Portsmouth, N. H., and baptized Jan. 31, 1714. His father gave him half his house in Portsmouth Jan. 10, 1735. This he sold in 1741. He, like his father, was a shoemaker. He settled in Hampton Falls. He was a soldier in the French and Indian war, as is evident from the following petition, dated Jan. 15, 1760. "Isaac Tobey of Hampton Falls" stated "That Your petitioner was a soldier in the service of the Province, the summer Past, That while he was in the Service at Saratoga he had his gun stolen." He asked for an allowance for the same. The petition was marked "dismissed," but was filed without any controverting of the statement it contained. Only the Province could not see the way clear to recompense the man for the lost piece. He claimed that his grandfather (James) came from England and spelled his name Tobie, though it was frequently spelled Tobee, Tobey or Toby.
He married, at Hampton, Jan. 13, 1737, Elizabeth Page.
Richard, William, Samuel Brooks and Page.
(IV) Richard (2), eldest child of Issac and Elizabeth (Page) Tobie, was born June 26, 1740, in Portsmouth, and died in New Gloucester, Maine, Oct. 8, 1827, aged eighty-seven years. He lived for a time at Seabrook, where the records show he served as a member of the county grand jury in 1778-80; was elected member of the board of selectmen in 1778 and continued in the office several years, and was chosen one of the assessors in 1788. He was at New Gloucester, Maine, as early as March 20, 1766, but "Richard Tobie of Seabrook, N. H., yeoman, and Jemima, his wife" sold for $200 to Jemima, wife of Edward Melcher, of Kinsington, N. H., land on the highway to Kensington, Nov. 4, 1788. Soon afterward he removed to New Gloucester, Maine, where he had been previously. Sept. 18, 1789, Richard Tobie, of New Gloucester, Massachusetts Bay, gentleman, sold to Willard Emery, of Hampton Town, N. H., gentleman, for 6 pounds, four acres in Mossey swamp, in Hampton Town, it being the land that was Anthony Emery, Esquire's."
Following is a copy of his obituary:
"Died in New Gloucester (Maine), Oct. 8, 1827, Mr. Richard Tobie. At the commencement of the Revolutionary War the deceased was apppinted an officer under the Continental Congress, which office he sustained until a short time before the close of the War, when he relinquished it, and was chosen a lieutenant in a volunteer company. Shortly after this the news of peace came, and they did not leave the town of Hampton Falls, New Hampshire. In 1789 he removed to New Gloucester, Maine, where by industry and frugality he acquired a valuable property; in 1799 he was baptized and joined the Baptist church in that town, of which he was a worthy and exemplary member till the time of his death. He was kind and affectionate in his family and beloved by all who knew him; he retained his reason till the last, and would discourse upon events which took place sixty or seventy years ago with surprising accuracy. His memory was strong and retentive. His descendants were thirteen children, sixty-nine grandchildren, and twenty-four great-grandchildren, in all one hundred and six, ninety-one of whom were living at the time of his death."
He married, at Seabrook, N. H., April 28, 1768, Jemima Haskell.
Richard, Jonathan L., Sarah, Mercy, Elizabeth, Dolley, Marthey, William, Abigail, Jemima, Thomas Haskell, Ezra and Levi.
(V) Jonathan L., second son of Richard (2) and Jemima (Haskell) Tobie, was born in Seabrook, N. H., Oct. 6, 1770, died in New Gloucester, Maine April 20, 1814. He removed with his parents to Maine, where he engaged in agriculture.
He married, Feb. 13, 1800, Lydia, daughter of Edward Parsons.
Edward Parsons, Samuel, Jonathan, Elbridge, Lydia Parsons and Elisha M.
Of these Edward Parsons and Elbridge were the only ones to have male descendants, and are therefore mentioned elsewhere.
(VI) Edward Parsons, eldest child of Jonathan L. and Lydia (Parsons) Tobie, was born in New Gloucester, Oct. 13, 1800, died in Lewiston, March 29, 1875. He served an apprenticeship at carding wool and dressing cloth, and in 1823 went to Lewiston, where he engaged in the same business. Except for a residence of ten years at Keith's Mills in Chesterville, he spent his life in Lewiston. Disabled by an accident, receiving injuries which finally cause his death, he was chosen town clerk, filling the office thirty-five years, and then being chosen the first clerk of the city under the charter. He was a teacher in the Sunday-school, and active in all the work of the Free Baptist church, of which he was a deacon; the first citizen in the town to cast a vote in opposition of slavery, and a strong advocate of abolition; helped on fugitive slaves escaping to Canada; stood up staunchly against the use of and traffic in strong drink, and was always on the side of conscience and faith. His upright character and pleasant demeanor made him many friends. His tenderness toward the poor and needy made him especially their friend, and among childrne, whom he greatly loved, he was regarded as a father. Great sorrow was felt at his death, his memory is fragrant.
He married (first), Jan. 15, 1829, Caroline, daughter of Dean Frye, of Lewiston. She died in 1838. He married (second), Feb. 19, 1840, Jane E., daughter of John Harmon, who survived him.
Children of 1st wife:
Sarah Frye, Frye and Edward Parsons.
Children of 2d wife:
Le Roy Harmon.
(VII) Le Roy Harmon, only son of Edward Parsons and Jane E. (Harmon) Tobie, was born in Lewiston, Jan. 18, 1843. After learning the trade of machinist with the Androscoggin Mills, he worked at it in various places. Oct. 4, 1861, following the outbreak of the civil war, he enlisted in Company K, Tenth Maine Volunteer Infantry, and served till he was mustered out with the regiment May 7, 1863. In August, 1864, he re-enlisted in Company G, First Maine Cavalry, was wounded in battle of Dinwiddie Court House, March 31, 1865, and was discharged on account of disability from wounds, July 27, 1865.
He has held the offices of commander of Bosworth Post, No. 2, Grand Army of the Republic, and member of the staff of the department commander and commander-in-chief. He has been president of the Maine Charitable Mechanics Association, and is a member of Ancient Landmark Lodge and other Masonic bodies; past grand of Ancient Brothers Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and treasurer of Machigonne Encampment, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. May 2, 1883, he was appointed to a place in the U. S. custom house at Portland, where he is clerk and acting deputy collector.
He married, Jan. 26, 1867, Belle Pollard Hodges, born at Hallowell, Oct. 13, 1843, daughter of Daniel and Abigail Soule (Porter) Hodges.
1. Grace Eveleth, born Jan. 20, 1868, married Oct. 14, 1894, Thomas West Wilson Atwood, of Portland, who was born in Barrington, Nova Scotia, a son of John and Lydia Ann (Wilson) Atwood. They have two chidren: Marjorie Tobie Atwood, b. Dec. 22, 1895, and Edward Wilson Atwood, b. June 27, 1897.
2. Walter Eaton, see forward.
3. Le Roy Fessenden, see forward.
(VIII) Walter Eaton, elder son of Le Roy Harmon and Belle Pollard (Hodges) Tobie, was born in Lewiston, Dec. 12, 1869. He was educated in the public schools of Portland, became a registered pharmacist in 1890, and prepared for the Medical School of Maine, to which he was admitted in January, 1897, and from which he graduated in 1899. He spent a year as interne in the Maine General Hospital, and then started in the general practice of medicine for himself in Portland, where he has since resided and is building up a flourishing practice. He is professor of anatomy in the Medical School of Maine, associated surgeon of the Maine General Hospital, chairman of the Portland Board of Health, chairman of the Maine Anatomical Board, member of the Assciation of American Anatomists, secretary of the Maine Medical Association and member of the Cumberland County Medical Association.
In politics he is a Republican, like his forebears before him. He is an Episcopalian in religious faith, and a vestryman of St. Stephen's Church. He was made a Mason in 1893, and is a member of Ancient Landmark Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Greenleaf Royal Arch Chapter, Portland Council, Royal and Select Masters; and Portland Commandery, Knights Templar.
Dr. Tobie married Nov. 5, 1902, Mabel Cary, born in Pittsfield, Mass. Oct. 24, 1872, daughter of George Howard and Mary Gardner (Folger) Cary.
1. Walter Cary, born Nov. 5, 1903.
2. Alice Cary, born May 1, 1905.
3. George Cary, born Dec. 22, 1906.
(VIII) Le Roy Fessenden, youngest son of Le Roy Harmon and Belle Pollard (Hodges) Tobie, was born in Portland, Maine, July 26, 1873. He is unmarried and lives with his parents in Portland. He is auditor of passenger accounts of the Maine Central railroad, and has worked since he was a boy, usually in the railroad business. For several years he was assistant general passenger and freight agent of the Washington County railway, with headquarters at Calais, Maine, and had charge of the local traffic of that road.
He is a Republican, and a former member of the Portland city government. Mr. Tobie has held many offices in the Masonic bodies of Portland, and belongs to Ancient Landmark Lodge and other Masonic organizations. he is a director of teh Cherryfield Fair, a trustee of the Machias Fair, and is a member of a number of organizations in eastern Maine. He has many friends throughout the state.
(VI) Elbridge Tobie, son of Jonathan L. and Lydia (Parsons) Tobie, was born in New Gloucester, Maine, Dec. 6, 1806. When a young man he located in Portland, wehre he lived until his death Feb. 4, 1884. He was a tanner, and spent almost all his business life in the Green street tannery, Portland, but for a time was interested in the tannery near Elm street. For a few years he held a position in the custom house at Portland. He was at one time a member of the city government, and for years warden of his ward. As early as 1837 he was a trustee of the Maine Charitable Mechanics Assocation. He attended the Baptist church. He was a quiet, unassuming man, of good ability and inflexible integrity, and in his death Portland lost a model citizen of the old school.
He married Sophia Stevens, born in Westbrook, Maine, Feb. 6, 1807, died in Portland, April 22, 1881.
A daughter who died in infancy; and Charles M. Tobie.
(VII) Charles M., only son of Elbridge and Sophia (Stevens) Tobie, was born in Portland, March 27, 1833, and died there in Feb., 1896. Like his father, he was a tanner, and his entire business life was spent in the tannery on Green street. He was a partner of J. S. Ricker, and later the firm was reorganized as a stock company known as the Casco Tanning Company, Mr. Tobie being treasurer until his death. Mr. Tobie was a singularly quiet and unassertive man, engrossed in his business and home life. Yet he was known as a man of sterling worth, and his counsel was much sought. From a modest beginning he developed an extensive and remunerative business, and enjoyed a competency. He never engaged in politics, and never was prominently identified with any fraternal organizations. He attended the First Free Baptist Church.
He married Delia C. Atkins, of Portland, who survived him.
Son who died in infancy, and Charles F. Tobie.
(VIII) Charles Frederick, son of Charles M. and Delia C. (Atkins) Tobie, was born in Portland, March 22, 1860, and died there Jan. 3, 1907 - one of the best-known and most highly respected citizens of that place. He was educated in the public schools, graduating from the high school, and as a young man was an active member of the Portland Cadets. On attaining his majority he was elected treasurer of the Portland Kerosene Oil Company, and soon afer its mergment with the Standard Oil Company he entered the employ of the Berlin (N. H.) Mills, in the capacity of bookkeeper. On account of impaired health he returned to Portland, and in 1893 was elected city auditor, a position he held into the fourth year, when he resigned, in 1896, to succeed his father as treasurer of the Casco Tanning Company, and continued in that capacity until his death.
He was active in public and community affairs, and was for several years a member of the city government. He was deeply interested in religious and educational matters. He was a member and one of the strongest supporters of the First Free Baptist Church, prominent in all its good works, and served as treasurer of the parish. He was a member of the board of overseers of Bates College, and shortly before his death was elected a director of the Portland Young Men's Christian Association. He was affiliated with Masonic bodies up to the Scottish Rite, and held many stations, therein, being a past master of Ancient Landmark Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; past master of Portland Council, Royal Select Masters; and officer in Greenleaf Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; and of several superior bodies; and at the time of his death was serving his second year as commander of Portland Commandery, Knights Templar, and was military inspector of the Grand Commandery of Maine. As an Odd Fellow his services and assistance were of inestimable value to one of the strongest bodies of the order in the state, at a time when certain financial irregularities threatened its very existence. In politics he was a staunch Republican.
He married, in 1882, Annie Lewis, daughter of Russell Lewis, of Portland, who survives him.
Mr. Tobie was taken very ill quite suddenly, in Boston, Jan. 2, 1907, with edema of the lungs, and died at his residence on State street, Portland, the following day. He was highly regarded for his many excellences of character, and his death wa a distinct loss to the community.