Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The surname Sweet is identical with Swett, Sweat, Sweete, and is variously spelled in the early records.
(I) John Sweet, immigrant ancestor, was born in England. He settled first in Salem, Mass., and was doubtless related to John Swett, who settled in Newbury. In fact, John Sweet instead of John Swett may be the man who killed the wolf dog of Colonel Endicott. But he left Salem in 1637, settled that year in Providence, Rhode Island, and died the same year. He had a grant of land in Providence in 1637 and later his widow Mary had a grant there.
Rev. Hugh Peters, of Salem, worte in a letter dated July 1, 1639, of the widow and certain others that they had 'the great censure passed upon them in this our church and that they wholly refused to hear the church denying it and all churches in the Bay to be true churches," etc. His widow married (second) Ezekiel Holliman. Her will, dated July 31, 1681, gave among other bequests all her interest in the house at Warwick to her son-in-law, John Gereardy, and her daughter Renewed.
1. John, mentioned below.
2. James, born 1622, married Mary Greene, resided at Warwick, N. H.
3. Renewed, married John Gereardy.
(II) John (2), son of John (1) Sweet, was born about 1620 and died 1677. He married Elizabeth ____, born 1629, died 1684; she married (second) Samuel Wilson.
He was an inhabitant of Warwick June 5, 1648; freeman 1655; commissioner 1660; took the oath of allegiance May 21, 1671. His grist mill at Potowomit was burned by the Indians in 1675 during King Philip's war. He removed to Newport during the war and was living there June 27, 1677, when he died. His will dated in that year mentions his wife and children. His wife deposed that he built the house on Potowomit Neck and had leave of the Narragansett Sachems to set up his mill and to dam the river for power and that they kept peacable possession for several years and till forced off by the war, and that after the war she and her children returned and kept possession of the same place.
John, Daniel (b. 1657), James, Henry (mentioned below), Richard, Benjamin, William, Jeremiah, Daughter.
(III) Henry, son of John (2) Sweet, was born about 1665 in Potowomit or Warwick, R.I. He settled about 1690 in Attleborough, Mass., and died there Dec. 8, 1704. He married _____.
John (mentioned below), Philip (died young), Thomas, Michael (died young), Dorothy.
(IV) John (3), son of Henry Sweet, was born about 1690, resided at Attleborough.
(V) Ebenezer, son or nephew of John (3) Sweet, was born at Attleborough Jan. 18, 1741, died Nov. 4, 1838. He settled in Farmington, Maine, in 1782, and became the owner of lot No. 27, succeeding Reuben Page, and lived there the remainder of his days. His farm became valuable through the growth of the Center Village. He was a tanner by trade and in 1785 erected the first tannery in the town. It stood on the elevation above the interval near the steam mill of J. F. Prescott & Company. He was an industrious and prosperous man, a citizen of influence.
He married (first) Naomi Daggett, who died June, 1776; (second) Desire Daggett, born in Attleborough, Mass. Sept. 17, 1745, died at Farmington oct. 4, 1839. Naomi Daggett was born at Attleborough June 16, 1741-42, died there June 22, 1776, daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Stanley) Daggett. Her father married (first) March 21, 1728; (second) at Wrentham, Jan. 29, 1729, Elizabeth Blake. Deacon John Daggett. father of Thomas, was born at Edgartown, Mass. in 1662, died at Attleborough, Sept. 7, 1724; married, 1685, Sarah Norton. Thomas Daggett, father of Deacon John, was born at Watertown, Mass. in 1630, died at Edgartown, Martha;s Vineyard, Mass., between March 18, and Sept. 15, 1691; married about 1657, Hannah, daughter of Governor Thomas and Jane Mayhew, of Edgartown; she was born in Watertown June 15, 1635, died at Edgartown in 1722; married (second) Capt. Samuel Smith. John Daggett or Doggett, father of Thomas, was the immigrant, born in England, who came over with Governor Winthrop in 1630 and died at Plymouth May 17-26, 1673. He married (second) at Plymouth, Aug. 29, 1667, Bathsheba Pratt. He settled first at Watertown, where he was admitted freeman May 18, 1631, and he built the first bridge there over the Charles river; removed with Mayhew to Martha's Vineyard, living also for a time at Rehoboth, Mass.; was called corporal in the Edgartown records March 29, 1652.
Children of Ebenezer and Naomi (Daggett) Sweet, b. at Attleborough:
1. Calvin, born March 1, 1765.
2. Arnold, born March 4, 1767, mentioned below.
3. Elizabeth, born Oct. 2, 1768.
4. Ellis, born Nov. 20, 1770, soldier in the war of 1812.
5. Abel, born Sept. 20, 1772, married May 25, 1796, Irene Perley.
6. Ebenezer, born July 20, 1774, died Jan. 3, 1785.
7. Naomi, born June 4, 1776, died June 5, 1776.
(VI) Arnold, son of Ebenezer Sweet, was born at Attleborough, Mass. March 3, 1767. He settled in Winthrop, Maine, and married March 9, 1789, Polly Bonney, died March 25, 1798.
Children, b. at Winthrop:
1. Nancy, born May 2, 1791, married Leonard Richmond.
2. Arnold Jr., born March 21, 1793, married Aug. 2, 1818, Susan King.
3. Polly, born Aug. 30, 1796, married Jonathan Currier Jr.
4. Florence, born Feb. 10, 1798, married Samuel Wood Jr.