Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Soon after the Norman Conquest in the last quarter of the eleventh century, Alan, son of Flaald, obtained a grant of the castle of Oswestry, county of Salop. Alan married the daughter of Warine, heiress to his estate. Warine was sheriff of Shropshire, county of Salop, of the time of William of Normandy, and by this marriage Alan had three sons:
1. William, whose descendants became Earls of Arundel and Dukes of Nortolk.
2. Walter, who founded the house of Stewart.
3. Simon, the forebear of the family of Boyd, from which family sprang the Earl of Errol.
Walter Firz Alan, son of Alan and the heiress of Warine, appears as a witness to a charter granted by David I, King of Scotland, in favor of the Church of Glasgow. David's name appears in the calendar prefixed to Laud's Prayerbook for Scotland as "Saint David," though he was never formally canonized. This charter is dated at Cadzow in the early part of the twelfth century. Walter was also granted by King David the office of Steward of Scotland. Walter Fitz Alan, Steward of Scotland, died in 1177, who became Lord High Steward of Scotland, witnessed two charters of William II, and died in 1204, leaving his office to his eldest son Walter, who in 1230 obtained the office of Justicicary. He witnessed the "Walterus Alenifilius, Senischallus Justiciar Scotiae," a charter by Alexander II. Walters oldest son and heir, Alexander, succeeded to his offices in 1283 and Alexander's son and heir, James, succeeded in 1309. James' son and heir Walter commanded a division in the army led by Robert Bruce at Bannockburn, when King Edward II was routed with a loss of thirty thousand men, June 24, 1314. He also held civil offices with distinction, and married as his second wife Marjorie, daughter of Robert Bruce, King of Scotland, and their son Robert became King of Scotland in 1371, and is known in history as Robert II.
Lord Walter Stewart died in 1326, only twelve years after he distinguished himself on the battlefield of Bannockburn. The line of descent from Robert II of Scotland, founder of the Stuart dynasty, who reigned from March 26, 1370, to the date of his death at Dundonald Castle, May 13, 1390, to the appearance of his direct descendant, Allan Stewart, as a prisoner in Boston Harbor, Mass., in 1755, it is not our purpose in this sketch to trace. [trans note: that means they don't know it; be assured that if they did they'd put it in here.]
(I) Allan Stewart, a lineal descendant of Robert Stuart, known in history as Robert II, King of Scotland, was born in Cromdale, Invesnesshire, Scotland, either 1755 or 1756. As was the custom of the time and place, he was apprenticed on reaching a suitable age to the trade of tailor. He also, on reaching mlitary age, became a member of Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Archibald Campbell's Royal Highland regiment. At the beginning of the revolution in the American colonies in 1755 this regiment was drafted for service in America, but upon inspection before being embarked the men of low stature were rejected for the service, as the government desired to send only men of average stature, and among those rejected was Allan Stewart. Having determined to go the American colonies at any risk, he stole on board the ship, and when they were well at sea he came from his hiding place, appeared among his fellow soldiers on deck, and was allowed to take his place in the ranks, but was refused enrollment and pay, being thus deprived of protection under the Articles of War. On reaching Boston Harbor the vigilant Yankee privateers were ahead of the British fleet in the harbor in welcoming the recruits to General Howe's army, and Colonel Campbell and the commissioned officers were sent by the American commander as prisoners of war to the prison at Concord, and the rank and file were paroled. On calling the muster roll and checking it, a single soldier stood uncalled, and as he was in arms, but not enrolled, he could not be paroled, but could have been summarily shot as a spy or deserter. He was, however, put in the prison, and after a time was released on condition that he would bind himself to work in making clothing for the army for the period of four years. At the end of that time young Stewart, whose ancestors had so valiantly defied and defeated the armies of England on their invasion of the soil of Scotland, was anxious to join the defenders of similar rights on American soil, and he enlisted in the American army at Westford, Mass., and was credited to the town of Dunstable, now Nashua, New Hampshire, mustered in by Major William Scott, July 6, 1780, and assigned to Captain Proctor's company in Colonel Cilley's regiment, his term of enlistment being for six months, and was honorably discharged Dec. 15, 1780, having been credited with five months and twenty days active service. He was paid 764 pounds, 16s. as wages; 335 pounds allowance for blanket, etc., and for mileage to Worcester at twelve shillings per mile, seventy miles, 42 pounds, making his total pay 1,140 pounds, 16s.
He worked at his trade for seven months, and July 25, 1781, re-enlisted and was mustered by Col. Moses Nichols "to fill up the Continental army at West Point." He was credited to the town of Amherst, N. H., and after serving four months and twentyone days was discharged Dec. 15, 1781. He settled in Dunstable, N. H., and appears on the records of that town as one of the signers of a petition to the N. H. legislature to "be allowed to elect a representative in Dunstable."
He married Mary Berry, of Dunstable, soon after returning from the war, and purchased property there. In 1790 he exchanged his home for some wild land in Ryegate, Vermont, whence he removed his family the same year. He carried with him to the wilderness of Vermont apple seeds to plant an orchard, said to be the first orchard that produced fruit in the town. In 1806 he built a new house in the place of the cabin he first occupied, and this home was subsequently owned and occupied by Edward Miller Sr., and in 1896 by the family of James Miller.
1. Mary, married William Craig.
2. Francis, married Sally Bedell.
3. Betsey, married Luke Higgins.
4. Allan (q.v.).
5. John, married Janet McDonald.
6. Margaret, married Robert Armstrong, a soldier who died in the U.S. army in the war of 1812.
7. William, died unmarried in his twenty-seventh year.
Mary (Berry) Stewart, the mother of these children, died at Ryegate, Vermont, where she was living with her husband on the Jesse Heath farm, formerly owned by Isaac Cameron. July 25, 1832, Allan Stewart was granted a pension "for nineteen months actual service as a private in the Mass. troops, Revolutionary War," the pension being eight dollars per month. After the death of his wife he lived with his son, John Stewart, in Barton, Vermont, where he died at the age of ninety-three years, the time of his death being about 1851.
(II) Allan (2), second son and fourth of the seven children of Allan (1) and Mary (Berry) Stewart, was born in Dunstable, N. H., April 22, 1788. He was brought up on his father's farm in Ryegate, Vermont, and aided his father in building his new house in 1806.
He was married, in July, 1800, to Mary, daughter of Alexander and Jean (Allen) Miller. She was born in Ryegate, Vermont, Feb. 15, 1789, and after their marriage they remained in Ryegate until 1815, and three of their children were born there. They removed to Canada in 1815, where Mr. Stewart kept a grocery store in a small settlement near Quebec for four years, and their daughters, Adeline and Margaret Allen, were born in Canada. In 1819 he returned with his wife and three remaining children to Ryegate and resumed farming on the farm now owned by Mr. Exley at South Ryegate, Vermont, building a log house a little south of the present building.
1. John Crawford, born in Ryegate, Jan. 30, 1810, died there Jan. 9, 1814.
2. Jean, born July 17, 1811, died in Canada, April 30, 1816.
3. Mary, born March 20, 1814, married John Conant, of Lowell, Mass., and died in April, 1853.
4. Adeline, born in Canada, May 30, 1816, married (first) Morrill Ingalls in 1840, and (second) an Abbott, of Rumford, Maine, and died in that place Jan. 31, 1874.
5. Margaret Allen, born May 22, 1818, married Horace W. Stevens, of Walpole, N. H., and died Oct. 3, 1894.
6. Jane Allen, born in South Rygate, April 18, 1820, married Norman Harris, and died in Lowell, Mass., June 16, 1844.
7. Alexander Miller, born June 17, 1822, died Oct. 11, 1832.
8. Allan, born Aug. 4, 1824, married Cecilia S. Egbert, of Rochester, New York, had three children, and with his brother Duncan purchased the farm of his father, immediately after the death of their mother, and built the house and barn now (1908) standing. Allan Stewart Jr., died Sept. 11, 1874.
9. Duncan, (q.v.)
10. Eliza, born Jan. 1, 1828, died Nov. 20, 1851.
11. Nancy Miller, born March 21, 1830, died Sept. 10, 1848.
12. Lillias Miller, born Sept. 11, 1832, married Horace W. Stevens, of Walpole, N. H., and died Nov. 28, 1863.
Mary (Miller) Stewart, the mother of these children, died April 27, 1848, and after her death Allan Stewart, the father, married Sarah Scales, of Peacham, Vermont, and built the house now owned by O'Rourke, opposite Quint's Mill in Ryegate, Vermont, where he died Aug. 9, 1873.
(III) Duncan, ninth child, son of Allan (2) and Mary (Miller) Stewart, was born in South Ryegate, Vermont, Feb. 4, 1826, and was brought up on his father's farm. He had little "book learning," and after teh death of the mother, April 27, 1848, with his brother, Allan Jr., purchased his father's farm and lived there until 1860, when he removed to Topsham, where he bought a farm on George Hill, now (1908) owned by Duncan McKay, which farm he sold in 1866 and engaged in merchandizing in partnership with Jacob Mills Jr., in Topsham Village, Vermont. He continued this business alone and with partners at different times up to 1880, when he retired and lived upon a farm which he purchased in Topsham, up to the time of his death, Sept. 10, 1882.
He was a Republican, and for several years served as one of the town auditors of Topsham, and as town clerk, and he was a ruling elder in the Reformed Presbyterian Scotch Church in Topsham.
He was married Sept. 20, 1849, to Margaret, daughter of Archibald and Elizabeth (Leitch) Ritchie. She was born in Kilmalconn, Renfrewshire, Scotland, Oct. 29, 1830, and came to America with her parents and other members of the family in 1844, making the voyage across the ocean in a sailing vessel, making the passage to New York in six weeks, and during the voyage her mother died on ship board of ship fever. Her two older brothers, Duncan and William, two younger sistgers, Elizabeth and Jane, made up the family, and on reaching New York they sailed up the Hudson river and by Hudson and Champlain canal and lakes George and Champlain to Burlington, Vermont, where members of the Leitch family, to which her mother belonged, met them, they having preceded the Ritchie family to America, and then lived in Danville, Vermont. Archibald Ritchie, her father, purchased a farm in South Ryegate, Vermont, and died there in 1846, and his daughter assumed charge of the household, although but fifteen years of age, and continued in charge up to the time of her marriage, Sept. 20, 1849, to Duncan Stewart.
After the death of her husband, Sept. 10, 1882, she sold the farm in Topsham, lived with her sister Elizabeth, who had married John Johnston in South Rygate, and in 1884 removed to Manchester, N. H., and lived with her daughter, Mary Elizabeth, wife of Dr. Charles B. Sturtevant. On the death of Mrs. Sturtevant, June 3, 1898, she removed to York, Maine, and kept house for her son, John Conant Stewart, up to the time of her death, Sept. 23, 1905.
1. John Conant (q.v.)
2. Archibald Ritchie, born April 1, 1852, died Dec. 15, 1864.
3. Mary Elizabeth, born May 19, 1858, married Oct. 9, 1883, at Topsham, Dr. Charles B. Sturtevant, of Manchester, N. H., where she died June 3, 1898, leaving her husabnd and two daughters, Florence Anna Sturtevant, b. April 3, 1886, and Edith Margaret Sturtevant, born April 7, 1890, both graduates of the Manchester high school and of Bradford Academy.
(IV) John Conant, eldest son of Duncan and Margaret (Ritchie) Stewart, was born in Ryegate, Vermont, June 19, 1850, He attended school at Topsham and the Caledonia County Grammar school, Peacham, and was graduated at Dartmouth College, A.B. 1873. During his college course he taught school in York, Maine; Lexington, Holmes county, Mississipppi; North Berwick, Maine; and Brewster, Mass.
He began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Jasper J. Hazen, of York, Maine, completed his course in the medical department of Dartmouth College and received the degree of M.D. and the honor of valedictorian in 1876, receiving his master degree from Dartmouth in June of the same year. He managed a lumber wharf at York Harbor, Maine, 1874-76, and practiced medicine in York, Maine, 1876-87; was a frequent contributor to medical journals, especially the results of original research in the prevalent diseases of diphtheria and consumption. He conducted the old mail route from Portsmouth, N. H. to Cape Neddick, Maine, with a partner and established a line of Concord coaches that were finally replaced by the York Harbor and Beach railroad, of which he was an original surveyor, one of the chief contractors, an incorporator of the company, and for the fist four years a director and clerk of the corporation. He organized the S.S.S. Building Association in 1883, and has been its only president, and since 1895 has also been treasurer of the corporation.
In 1888 he began the study of law in the office of Moses A. Safford, of Kittery, Maine, and these studies were interrupted after fourteen months by business responsibilities he had assumed, but he completed his law studies in the office of Hon. Horace H. Burbank, Saco, Maine, and was admitted to the bar of York county in June, 1895, when he formed a partnerhsip with Judge Burbank, which was dissolved in December of the same year. In 1889 he organized an establishment for the manufacture of bricks and lumber with Jotham P. Norton as partner, and in 1891 sold his interest to Mr. Norton and organized the Orient Mutual Life Insurance Company, of which he was president and medical director for four years, when it was consolidated with two others as the Maine Mutual, in which corporation he declined a directorship. He was secrertary and general manager of the Hamilton Brokerage Company, and of the National Fidelity Company, Maine corporations, doing business in Boston, Mass., and he was entrusted with winding up their affairs. From 1891 to 1894 he was vice-president of the York County Horse Breeders' Assciation. He became a director of the York County National Bank in 1902, and was elected vice-president in 1903; has been president of the York Printing Company since its organization in 1902, and of the York Realty Company, which he organized, since 1903; director and treasurer of the York Corporation Trust and Law Company since its organization in 1903; president of the Maravilla Copper Company, Arizona, 1904-05, a director of its successor the Mineral Mountain Copper Company, 1905-06, and in 1906 he organized the Lone Star Consolidated Copper Company which secured control of the Mineral Mountain property and of the Chase Creek Copper Company, of Clifton, Arizona, making the Lone Star owner of over two thousand acres of rich copper lands in the Gila Mountains, and he resigned the presidency of the Lone Star Company at the close of its first years existence to accept the presidency of the Arizona and Boston Smelting and Reduction Company, organized to treat the ore mined by the Lone Star and other copper companies in that section of the Gila Mountains. In 1906 the brick and lumber business he organized in 1889 was incorporated as the Norton Brick Company, and he became president and principal owner of the stock of the corporation. He is also treasurer and director of the Atlas Manufacturing Company, Hampton, N. H.
In Jan., 1896, he opened a law office in York Village, and he has since practiced in the State and U. S. courts. He is a trustee and the treasurer of the Children's Heart Work Society of Maine, and a director of the Christian Civic League of Maine.
The social, patriotic, professional, scientific and fraternal societies of which he is a useful working member include: The York Association, of which he was president 1882-83; Peacham Academy Alumni Association, of which he was a trustee 1897-1906; the Boston Association of Alumni, of which he was vice-president 1902-03; Old York Historical and Improvement Society, of which he was vice-president 1904-08; Maine Historical Society; Maine Society Sons of the American Revolution; Ranger Section No. 17, U. S. Naval League; paul Jones Club of Portsmouth; National Georgraphical Society; American Academy of Political and Social Science; Portsmouth, Strafford County, and Maine Bar Association; Lincoln Council No. 6, Junior Order United American Mechanics, serving 1896 and 1897 as state councilor for Maine, and in 1898 and 1899, 1900 and 1901 as representataive in the National Council; Royal Arcanum; Workmen's Benefit Association; Ancient Order of United Workmen; Grand Lodge of Maine, Knights of Pythias; Good Templars from 1885, and chairman of the committee on enforcement of the prohibitory law 1888-90, resulting in the organization of the People's Prohibitory Enforcement League of Maine, organized in 1891, of which he was president during its existence, 1891-94, when it was succeeded by the Christian Civic League. His Masonic honors date his initiation in St. Aspinquid Lodge, No. 198, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, where he filled all the chairs except that of master. In 1882 he joined Agementicus Commandery, No. 191, United Order of the Golden Cross; in 1883 he entered the grand commandery of Maine, served as grand commander in 1886, entered the supreme commandery in May, 1887 at the New York sessions, where he was elected supreme treasurer, but resigned before assuming the duties, and was again elected representative of the grand commandery of Maine, and at the Bar Harbor session he was elected supreme herald, served by re-election four years, when he became chairman of the supreme trustees, and resigned in 1901 to take the office of medical director of the order, and by virtue of this supreme posistion he is a member of the National Fraternal Congress.
In local, state and national politics he has alwasys acted with the Republican partu, in which he has been an acceptable campaign speaker, but has declined the nomination for representative in the state legislature severak times when the nominaton meant an election; declined to be a delgate to the National Convention of the party in 1888, and at three county conventions the candidacy for sheriff, and at two the unamimous nomination as county attorney. He refused the Prohibition nomination for governor of Maine, and has forbidden his name in a like connection on several Republican state conventions. He did serve as deputy sheriff of York county 1883-88, and as state senator 189192, when he was chairman of the joint committee on temperance and a member of the joint committee on banks and banking, labor, on congressional apportionment, and on engrossed bills. He was secretary of the Republican county committee in 1880; chairman of the county convention 1898, and chairman of the committee on resolutions of every county convention since 1888 with two exceptions. He was commissioner from Maine to the Pan-American Medical Congress at Washington, D. C., 1893; represented it in the National Temperance Congress, Philadelphia, 1894, and has served locally as notary public, justice of the peace, member, secretary and chairman of the board of health, town physician, fence viewer, superintending school committeeman, constable, collector of taxes, town agent, moderator of town meetins, town treasurer, &c., &c.
Mr. Stewart never married; address, York Village, Maine.
Several Stewarts were among the Scotch (Scottish!) prisoners sent over by Cromwell to New England. The Stewart family is one of the most ancient and distinguished of Scotland. Aside from the royal branch, the family has had many noble and distinguished men and the family has been powerful for many centuries.
(I) Alexander Stewart may have been one of the Scotch (Scottish) prisoners of war. He and Duncan Stewart, of Newbury, who are thought to be brothers, came to Massachusetts when young men between 1650 and 1660.
Alexander married, Oct. 15, 1662, at Charlestown, Hannah Templer, who died there Aug. 21, 1674. An Alexander Stewart, of Marlborough, thought by some writers to be the same man, may have been a son.
Children (baptized at Charlestown):
1. James, born May 8, 1665.
2. John, born Nov. 24, 1667.
3. Samuel, born Dec. 19, 1669, mentioned below.
4. Hannah, born Jan. 2, 1671.
5. Margaret, born Aug. 11, 1674.
(II) Samuel Stewart, of Wells, Maine, thought to be the son of Alexander Stewart, was born in Charlestown, Dec .19, 1669, He had a grant of one hundred acres of land in Wells, York county, Mass., now Maine, in 1699. Duncan Stewart, of Newbury, bought of Timothy Collins, of newbury, in 1680, land formerly of Christopher Collins, his father, at Blue Point, Scarborough, near Wells. Samuel Stewart was of Wells in 1716; was an inhabitant in 1726 with his son Samuel Jr., the only heads of family of this name there. He was a prominent citizen; in 1728 was made one of the trustees of the province loan to the town.
He was a carpenter and builder and had the contract for the parsonage at Wells in 1727. He was on the committee to supply preaching in the Wells church in 1728.
1. Samuel Jr., lived in Wells.
2. Joseph, mentioned below.
(III) Joseph, son of Samuel Stewart [trans note: notice how some of these guys had kids with no wives?] was born at Wells, and died there about 1734, His widow was appointed administratrix July 23, 1734. He married Mary Lord, born about 1711, daughter of Capt. Samuel and Martha (Wentworth) LORD. Her father was born June 14, 1689, son of Nathan Lord, who married Nov. 22, 1678, Martha, dau. of Richard Sr. and Judith (Smith) Tozer. Capt. Samuel was admitted to the Berwick Church May 14, 1721, and his wife Feb. 2, 1734-35; his will was made Feb. 23, 1761, bequeathing to wife Martha his house at Quamphegan; to sons John, Nathaniel, Abraham, Samuel and Ebenezer, and Mary Grant, his daughter; to Abraham the farm fomerly his uncle Tozer's at Salmon Falls, the site of the garrison house built by Richard Tozer Jr. and standing until Oct., 1855, at South Berwick. Martha (Wentworth) Lord was a daughter of Elder William Wentworth.
The widow of Joseph Stewart married (second) ____ Grant, and she, then of Berwick, Dec. 18, 1766, deeded to her son, Wentworth Stewart, all her interest in the estate of her father, Samuel Lord. She was appointed guardian of her children April 25, 1735.
1. Wentworth, mentioned below.
2. Dorcas, born 1733-34.
(IV) Wentworth, son of Joseph Stewart, was born Oct. 20, 1731, at Berwick, Maine. He bought land in Gorham, Maine, Jan. 23, 1753, of James Gilkey. He was a prominent citizen of that town, town clerk, representative to the general court in 1773-74, lieutenant in the French and Indian war in 1757 in Capt. Joseph Woodman's company for six months, and was captain in the revolution.
He died at Sewall's Point, Mass.
He married, Feb. 4, 1753, Susanna, daughter of Rev. Solomon Lombard, the first minister of Gorham, Maine, of an old Cape Cod family. She was born Aug. 14, 1734. His widow married (second) March 4, 1779, William Wood, of Gorham.
1. Mary, born Jan. 20, 1754, married July 3, 1770, John Green.
2. Susanna, born May 2, 1757, died Jan. 4, 1759.
3. Joseph, born April 3, 1759, mentioned below.
4. Solomon Lombard, born Feb. 13, 1762, died Dec. 29, 1763.
5. Sarah Purinton, born Feb. 25, 1764, married May 20, 1781, Eben Phinney.
6. Dorcas S., born June 8, 1766, married Aug. 7, 1787, Peletiah McDonald.
7. Susanna, born April 1, 1768, married Jan. 4, 1786, Francis Brooks, of North Yarmouth.
8. Wentworth Jr., born Aug. 17, 1770, married Nov. 4, 1790, Hannah Straw.
9. Solomon, born Feb. 24, 1773.
10. Anna, born Oct. 13, 1775, married Nov. 7, 1791, Nathaniel Stevens Jr.
(V) Joseph (2), son of Wentworth Stewart, was born in Gorham, April 3, 1759. He married Hannah Smally.
(VI) Joseph (3), son or nephew of Joseph (2) Stewart, was born in Bloomfield, now a part of Skowhegan, Somerset county, Maine, Feb. 25, 1793, died in Bangor, Maine, Jan. 26, 1860. He had a common school education. He owned and carried on a general store at Hartland until 1818 when he came to Bangor. He dealt in real estate there extensively, building many houses and selling them. He built the foundation of the Bangor House and of the Unitarian church in Bangor about 1820, also the original part of the brick house on City Farm. He was active in the militia and rose to the command of his regiment.
He married, Feb. 24, 1813, Rachel Lander, born in Fairfield, Maine, March 15, 1792, died in Bangor April 23, 1868.
1. Mary Ann, born Aug. 11, 1814, died Feb. 2, 1900.
2. James H., born March 1, 1816, died Sept. 10, 1881.
3. Fidelia, born July 19, 1818, died March 31, 1889.
4. William L., born Oct. 1, 1820.
5. Thomas Jefferson, born Jan. 5, 1823, mentioned below.
6. Olive Lander, born Oct. 23, 1724.
7. Joseph Orrison, born March 20, 1827, died Oct. 10, 1828.
8. Joseph Orrison, born Feb. 11, 1829, died April 20, 1837.
9. George Washington, born Nov. 20, 1831, died Aug. 20, 1834.
(VII) Captain Thomas Jefferson, son of Col. Joseph Stewart, was born in Hartland, Maine, Jan. 5, 1823, died in Bangor, Maine, March 6, 1890. The family moved to Bangor a very few years later, and he lived in the same ward (2) during his entire residence in the city, and represented it in the city government several years. He was educated in Bangor's common schools. He began in early life as clerk in a grocery and provision store, but on account of poor health his physician advised a sea voyage, and he decided to follow the sea and rose to the position of master mariner. After he married, he retired from sea life and engaged in business, wholesale and retail grocery and provision, later adding ship brokerage and general commission in Bangor; the latter grew to such proportions that he disposed of the grocery business to his clerks and gave his entire attention to the ship brokerage and commission business.
He held many positions of trust; was a director of the Kenduskeag Bank, afterward the Kenduskeag National Bank, was one of the founders and till his death one of the trustees of the Eastern Trust and Banking Company, director of the several marine insurance companies that were organized and still exist in Bangor, president of the Eastern (fire) Insurance Company, of Bangor, for many years consul for Portugal in Maine, one of the board of port wardens and member of the board of trade. The idea of manufacturing and exporting shooks for orance and lemon boxes to the Mediterranean fruit ports of Italy and Spain was conceived by him, when all the fruit of that kind consumed in this country came from that source. He carried his first sample under his arm in 1858 during the slow stage journey to New York. While he never owned any of the mills engaged in their manufacutre, he financed the proprietors and sold their product on commission; there have been upward of four million box shooks sent from Bangor in a single year, representing a value of more than two hundred thousand dollars. He built up a large trade in spool-bars which were shipped to Scotland and England to the large thread works of the Coats, Clarks, Kerrs and others. In his younger days he was the principal importer of salt from Turks Island, Curacao, West Indies, and from Mediterranean ports. He exported pine lumber from Bangor to the West Indies.
In his later years he was prominent in political matters, was Democratic candidate for congress in the fourth district of Maine in 1886. In religion he was of the Unitarian belief, attending that church in Bangor.
He married, June 8, 1851, in Bangor, Maine, Mary Manton Dennison, born in Kinderhook, New York, April 17, 1827, daughter of Captain Seril and Sarah Morse (Porter) Manton; she was adopted by her uncle by marriage, Col. Isaac Dennison, who then resided at Gloucester, Mass.; his wife was Mary C. (Porter) Dennison, sister of Sarah Morse Porter, the mother of Mrs. Stewart, and for whom Mrs. Stewart was named by her mother; the Dennisons after the adoption had her name changed legally in Mass. from Mary Dennison Manton to Mary Manton Dennison, and while she was a young girl the family moved to Bangor, Maine.
1. Rosaline Porter, born Aug. 30, 1852, see below.
2. Charles Manton, born Sept. 12, 1854, see below.
3. Edward Lander, born Feb. 5, 185, see below.
4. Harry Dennison, born March 26, 1864, see below.
5. Rowland Wardwell, born Dec. 29, 1867, see below.
(VIII) Rosaline Porter, daughter of Thomas Jefferson Stewart, was born in Bangor, Aug. 20, 1852, and was educated in the public schools of that city and in Germany. She married in 1875, Lawrence M. Vance, of Indianapolis, Indiana, died in Boston, Mass. Jan. 29, 1886.
Child, b. at Indianapolis:
Marie Stewart Vance, born Jan. 17, 1876, died at the hotel on tope of Green Mountain at Bar Harbor, Maine, Sept. 15, 1887.
Mother and daughter are buried in Mt. Hope cemetery in Bangor, Maine.
(VIII) Charles Manton, son of Thomas Jefferson Stewart, was born in Bangor, Maine, Sept. 12, 1854. He was educated in the public schools of that city and at the "Little Blue" or Abbott Family school at Farmington, Maine, which he attended from 1869 to 1872. He then went abroad, crossing the Atlantic on one of his father's vessels from New York to Marseilles, France. He traveled through Europe and Great Britain. Upon his return, which was also on one of his father's vessels, he worked until 1875 in his father's office.
He then went to New York City to engage in the produce commission business with his uncle, Daniel Eddy Manton, under the firm name of D. E. Manton & Company. He continued until 1880, when the firm was dissolved and he returned to Bangor to become partner in his father's business of ship brokerage and general commission merchants, the firm being composed of Thomas J. and his two sons, Charles M. and Edward L., under the name of T. J. Stewart & Co., and a few years later the youngest brother, Rowland W., was admitted to the firm. After the father's death, the three sons continued the business under the same name till 1898, when Rowland W. withdrew and started in the same line on his own account; Charles M. and Edward L. continued the partnership under the old style till 1900, when the business was incorporated under the name of T. J. Stewart Company, which still continues, Charles M. being the treasurer and general manager of the corporation.
He represented ward seven in the common council of Bangor in 1887 and again in 1907 and 1908 he was a member of the board of aldermen from the same ward. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of Saint Andrews Lodge, No. 83; Mount Moriah Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, No. 6; Bangor Council, and the various bodies at Bangor, and of the Maine Consistory, Portland. He is also a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 60, of Odd Fellows, of which he is a past grand; Katahdin Encampment, No. 4, and past captain of Canton Bangor, No. 14; he is chief of staff of General Levi M. Poor, commander of the Department of Maine, of Patriarchs Militant. He is a member of Anchor Lodge, No. 4, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Bangor, Workmen's Benefit Association, and a past regent of Bangor Council, No. 123, Royal Arcanum.
His family are members of the Central Church of Bangor (Congregational).
He married, May 19, 1880, Gertrude Conkling, born in Brooklyn, New York, Nov. 18, 1858, daughter of Alexander Horsner and Abigial Cary (Seaman) Howe, of Brooklyn, N. Y., both of whom moved to Brooklyn from Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county, New York.
Children, b. at Bangor:
1. Hazel Howe, born Aug. 24, 1881.
2. Edith Robinson, born July 24, 1884, married Anton Louis Reinhardt, of Washington, D.C., at Bangor, Jan. 3, 1906; one child, Gretchen, b. Oct. 8, 1906, at Portland, Maine.
3. Marguerite Manton, born Sept. 7, 1888.
(VIII) Edward Lander, son of Thomas Jefferson Stewart, was born at Bangor, Maine, Feb. 5, 1858. He was educated in the public schools of Bangor and at the Allen Family school at Newton, Mass. After he left school he entered his father's office, where, with the exception of two years that he was with D. E. Manton & Co. in New York City, he was connected with the ship brokerage and commission business instituted by his father, first as clerk for his father, then as partner in the firm of T. J. Stewart & Company, and when the business was incorporated in 1900 he was chosen treasurer.
In 1902 he went to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, where he was associated in business with Francis H. Clergue, formerly of Bangor. In 1908 he was residing with his family in Phoenix, Arizona.
He married April 21, 1880, Martha Jane, daughter of Capt. Nelson and Maria (Woods) Edwards, of Jersey City, New Jersey.
Marion Edwards, born July 23, 1883, married March 19, 1908, at Phoenix, Arizona, Fay Wilmot Libby, formerly of Bangor, Maine.
(VIII) Harry Dennison, son of Thomas Jefferson Stewart, was born at Bangor, Maine, March 25, 1864. He was educated there in the public schools and at Norwich University, Northfield, Vermont. After graduating from college he entered in the wholesale ice business in Bangor, and later in the manufacture of lumber and box shooks with M. L. Jordan under the firm name of Jordan & Stewart; their mills were located at Old Town and Milford, Maine. In 1902 he became president, treasurer and manager of the Bangor Biscuit Company, and he has continued at the head of this company to the present time (1908). This concern does a thriving business.
Mr. Stewart is a charter member of Bangor Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 244; is past exalted ruler, was for six years district deputy grand exalted ruler. In politics he is a Democrat and has represented the seventh ward in the common council of Bangor and also in the board of alrermen, and was a member of the board of park commissioners of Bangor for several years.
He married, at Clinton, Maine, March 31, 1886, Georgia B. Brown, born in Clinton Aug. 24, 1863.
Chester Porter, born May 3, 1888.
(VIII) Rowland Wardwell, son of Thomas Jefferson Stewart, was born at Bangor, Maine, Dec. 29, 1867. He was educated in the public schools of Bangor, at Norwich University, Northfield, Vermont, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston. After finishing his education he entered his father's office as clerk, and when the Eastern Trust and Banking Company of Bangor was organized he was elected its first secretary, which position he held until he resigned to become a member of the firm of T. J. Stewart & Company, then composed of his father, brothers Charles M., Edward L. and himself. In the spring of 1899 he withdrew from the firm and started in the same line of business in his own name, continuing until his death.
He was a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of Rising Virtue Lodge, No. 10, of Bangor, Mount Moriah Chapter, No. 6; Bangor Council, R.S.M.; St. John Commadery No. 3, also all the other Masonic bodies at Bangor, and of the Maine Consistory at Portland, Maine.
He married, at Franklin, Pennsylvania, Nov. 20, 1899, Cara Avilla Maloney.
He died at Bangor, Maine, Sept. 29, 1904.