Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Among the beautiful hills of Chesterfield, New Hampshire, lies Spofford Lake, so dear to the hearts of the many who have looked out upon its silvery waters. It was named for one of the early settlers of the town, and is in many ways a fine type of the life of this grand old family. Only in the time of heavy rains can a stream be found blowing into the lake, and then the grasses and mosses hush the sound of tumult in the waters. The declaration of all the old settlers that the lake has a hidden spring of great strength and purity for its supply seems to be true. Quietly the bright waters have given health and inspiration to thousand since God's hand set it among the hills. The Indians loved it, the earliest settlers stood entranced on its shores, and now many tourists take of its joy and strength, while those who dwelt in the old town have gone far and wide to carry is blessed influences. By its shores played the boy who grew into the famous sculptor, Larkin G. Meade. Here roamed Edwin D. Meade, famous for his work in the Peace Society. Hither came often Rudyard Kipling when he wrote among the Vermont hills. So the Spofford family have ever been taking in the things of God's own strength, and giving them out to the world without tumult or babbling, through the long years since "John Spoffod, Ye true man of God and His Worde," settled in old Rowley, Mass. All old deeds and wills of the family give praise to "Him, the only One from whence we have strength and life." Of the grand success of the others of later generations it might well be written: "This was not of the world's noise and tumult. The secret is in the hidden springs of God's love, and generously have they given in all towns where they have dwelt of worldly goods, time, strength, genius like that of the wonderful Spofford so long librarian of congress; and withal without a trumpet sounding." Truly Spofford Lake speaks their worth!
(I) John Spofford came from England to America in 1638 with a company of choice Christian men and women, which were led by the wise and worthy Rev. Ezekiel Rogers. John Spofford became one of the most energetic founders of the town of Rowley, Mass. It seems most probable that this Spofford ancestor in America who came thither with the sturdy band of Dissenters, was son to him of the same name and faith who was made vicar of Selkirk in England in 1642. The American ancestor left the home country during the civil wars which preceded the dethronement of Charles I.
The name of John Spofford appears in the record of the first division of land at Rowley, and the homestead lots were near the center of the present town of Rowley. He had a house lot of one and a half acres on Bradford street. Lots were also assigned to him in "the fresh meadows, the salt meadows, the village lands, the Merrimack lands, and others in the ox pasture, the cow pasture and in the calf pasture." This, and the many other things which appear in the early records, clearly indicate how worthily John Spofford was regarded in that colony of most worthy people.
After living in Rowley for some thirty years, Mr. Spofford removed to "Spofford Hill," in the west part of the town, and he was without doubt the first settler in Georgetown, and also the progenitor of all who bear the name of Spofford in the United States and Canada.
He married Elizabeth Scott, of Ipswich, Mass.
(II) Samuel (1), son of John and Elizabeth (Scott) Spofford, married Sarah Bisbee.
(III) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) and Sarah (Bisbee) Spofford, settle in Boxford, Mass., where he became one of the leading citizens; he married Mary Stickney.
(IV) Amos, son of Samuel (2) and Mary (Stickney) Spofford, was born in Boxford, and was a man of great worth. He married Abigail Pearl.
(V) Daniel, son of Amos and Abigail (Pearl) Spofford, was born Feb. 18, 1766, and was a man of very enterprising character. He early removed to Maine, and after his marriage settled in Bucksport, and he and his children were among the most highly esteemed people of that fine old town.
He married Phoebe Peters, of the sturdy old family of that anem at Blue Hill, Maine.
1. Parker, born Sept. 23, 1796.
2. Frederick, born Feb. 28, 1798.
3. Franklin, born Nov. 16, 1799.
4. Ruby, born March 28, 1802.
5. Fisher A., born June 26, 1808.
6. Charlotte, born July 7, 1812.
7. Emeline, born Oct. 7, 1816.
(VI) Frederick, son of Daniel and Phoebe (Peters) Spofford, was born Feb. 28, 1798, died Nov. 20, 1885. Most of his life was spent in Bucksport. He was a man of sterling worth, of a retiring disposition, and avoided notoriety in every form. His wife, Augusta (Parker) Spofford, was born in Billerica, Mass. in 1814, died Sept. 25, 1885. She was one of the strongest of the old Bay State families.
1. Phebe Ann, born Sept. 29, 1840, died in Denver, Colorado, March 6, 1905; married, in Feb., 1876, William B. Lawson, a civil engineer of distinction, who died in Jan., 1901, in Denver, where they made their home subsequent to 1886.
2. Parker, see below.
(VII) Hon. Parker, son of Frederick and Augusta (Parker) Spofford, was born in Bucksport, July 12, 1842. his elementary education was acquired in the town schools. He prepared for college at the famous East Maine Conference Seminary at Bucksport, and graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1865. In the autumn of the year of his graduation he went west and engaged in civil engineering, and for seven years was employed by railroad companies, four years of that peiod being spent in locating and constructing the Burlington and Missouri River line, which is a part of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy system. Returning to Maine in 1872, Mr. Spofford was engaged to survey and construct the Bangor and Bucksport, Maine, railroad, which was completed in 1874. He has also done much engineering work on other railway lines, among them the Katahdin Iron Works railway, the Lime Rock railway, in Knox county, Maine, and the Portland and Rumford Falls railway. In 1893 he constructed a bridge at Rumford Falls over the Androscoggin river. At the present time (1908), Mr. Spofford is one of the railroad commissioners of the state of Maine. He is one of the most energetic and public-spirited business men of eastern Maine, and is philanthropic and honorable in word and deed. He is beloved by the hundreds among whom he is so well known. He has been a very active and helpful member of the Bucksport school board for many years. He was a representative to the Maine legislature in 1883-89, and was a member of the council of Goveror Burleigh's in 1891-92. He is a staunch Republican in politics.
He is connected with several fraternal organizations, including the Ancient Order of United Workmen, which he served in 1889 in the capacity of grand master workman of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.
In 1870 Mr. Spofford married Mary E. Spofford, of Dixon, Illinois, a descendant of John Spofford, the pioneer ancestor, of Rowley, Mass. She died Nov. 13, 1903.