Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Robert Smith, immigrant ancestor of this branch of the family, was born about 1623. He settled in that part of Rowley which was set off as Boxford, and was living there in 1661. He was a quiet man, but interested in anything that pertained to the advancement of settlements in the town. He was a subscriber to the Major Denison fund in 1648. He died instestate Aug. 30, 1693, and his son Samuel administered his estate Oct. 3, 1698, which was valued at two hundred pounds.
He married Mary, daughter of Thomas French.
1. Mary, recorded at Rowley, born Oct. 28, 1658.
2. Phebe, b. Aug. 26, 1661.
3. Ephraim, b. Oct. 29, 1663, mentioned below.
4. Samuel, b. Jan. 26, 1666.
5. Amy, b. Aug. 16, 1668.
6. Sarah, b. June 25, 1670, died Aug. 28, 1673.
7. Nathaniel, b. Sept. 7, 1672.
8. Jacob, b. Jan. 26, 1674.
9. Maria, b. Dec. 18, 1677.
(II) Ephraim, son of Robert Smith, was born at Boxford, Oct. 29, 1663, and resided at Boxford. He served in the Indian war under Governor Andros.
He married Sept. 6, 1694, Mary, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Perkins) Ramsdell.
1. Elizabeth (twin), born March 1, 1696-97.
2. Hannah, (twin), born March 1, 1696-97.
3. Ephraim, b. Jan. 30, 1698-99.
4. Lydia, b. Sept. 8, 1699.
5. Hepsibah, b. March 25, 1700. [trans. note: just a minute, how can she be born just six months after her next-oldest sibling?]
6. Priscilla, b. Aug. 14, 1702.
7. John, b. Nov. 18, 170_.
8. Nathan, baptized July 1, 1710.
9. Daniel, baptized Aug. 31, 1712.
10. Abijah, baptized Oct. 24, 1714, mentioned below.
(III) Abijah, son of Ephraim Smith, was baptized Oct. 24, 1714, and died intestate at Leominster in 1787. He resided in Leomister, and married, in 1738, Lydia Rogers, of Boxford, who was baptized in 1720. Among his children was Manasseh, mentioned below.
(IV) Manasseh, son of Abijah Smith, was born at Leominster, Dec. 25, 1748, and died at Wiscasset, Maine, May 21, 1823. He graduated at Harvard College in 1773 and for a time was chaplain in the revolutionary army. He afterwards studied law and began his practice in Leominster, and was clerk of the court there. He removed to Hollis, New Hampshire, and married there Hannah Emerson, born Sept. 30, 1745, daughter of Daniel Emerson.
In 1788 he went to Wiscasset, Maine, where he resided the remainder of his life, and accumulated a handsome property. He wrote a very illegible hand, and it is said that Judge Paine, trying to read a special plea of his, was brought to a stand and scolded him heartily. Smith said that he had been, as a minister, in the habit of writing fast, which led him to be careless.
1. Hannah, born Oct. 17, 1774, married, 1794, Samuel Sevey, born at Wiscasset April 30, 1771, and had Hannah, Mary S., Samuel, Maria, William, Edwin S., Joseph S., Julia D., Ralph E., Manasseh, Bradbury, Theodore and Lucy S. Severy.
2, Mary, born Feb. 1, 1776, married Ivory Hovey Jr., and had Fannie E., Ivory T., Mary H., George W., Lucy A., Joseph S., Susan and Sarah Hovey, died at East Thomaston, Maine, April 21, 1848.
3. Lydia Rogers, born Dec. 15, 1777, died at Wiscasset, July 16, 1858.
4. Manasseh, born Aug. 16, 1779, married Olivia Hovey, of Berwick, Maine; children: i. Child, died young; ii. Manasseh, b. July 15, 1807; iii. Frances O., b. Oct. 15, 1809, married William T. Hilliard; iv. Eliza W., b. March 21, 1812, married Dr. J. C. Bradbury; v. Temple H., died young; vi. Hannah E., married Charles Woodman, of Burlington; vii. Olivia S., b. Feb. 12, 1819; viii. Joseph Emerson, died young.
5. Joseph Emerson, born March 6, 1782, died at Boston, Mass. March 12, 1837.
6. Lucy born Sept. 22, 1783, died at Wiscasset, April 28, 1840.
7. Samuel Emerson, born March 12, 1788, mentioned below.
8. Edwin, born July 14, 1790, married Caroline Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph Hurd, of Waldoborough; children: i. Samuel Emerson, b. in Alva, April 20, 1821, died Dec. 5, 1855, married ____ Copeland; ii. Edwin J., born in Warren, Maine, March 30, 1826, married ____ Hodgeman, of Warren.
(V) Samuel Emerson, son of Manasseh Smith, was born in Holis, N. H., March 12, 1788, died March 4, 1860, at Wiscasset, Maine. He studied at Groton Academy and graduated at Harvard College in 1808. He studied law with Samuel Dana, of Groton, and with his brothers Manasseh and Joseph E., and was admitted to the Suffolk bar, Feb. 25, 1812. The same year he established an office at Wiscasset, Maine. He was active in politics, was a Democrat; in 1819 was elected representative to the general court of Massachusetts, and the next year to that of Maine, after the state had been established. In 1821 he was appointed chief justice of the court of common pleas, as successor of Judge Weston. He was governor of Maine three years, 1831-32-33. During his administration the subject of the northeastern bounday was uppermost in the minds of the people. The question in controversy had been submitted to the King of the Netherlands, and Judge Preble went to the Hague to manage the cause. In January, 1831, the king rendered his award, placing the line on a ridge of highlands instead of the bed of a river, according to the language of the treaty, gave just indignation to the people of the state, and led to a repudiation of the award. A long correspondence and discussion took place between Governor Smith and the authorities at Washington. The United States government was desirous of having the award accepted, and was willing to pay the state of Maine for any loss of territory. The messages of Governor Smith in regard to the controversy were sound and judicious, and met with popular approval. Another measure of importance was the change of the seat of government to Augusta, and the building of the capitol. In the third year of his administration the country was disturbed by the nullification movements in South Carolina, and the agitations concerning the charter of the U. S. bank, and a modification of the tariff. The government took a firm stand in support of the president, and says: "In this alarming crisis of our national affairs, we cannot but rejoice that the executive department of the national government, sustained, as it is, by a vast majority of the American people, has announced its determination to support and carry into effect the constitution and laws of the United States."
At the expiration of his third term of office Governor Smith retired to private life until 1835, when he was restored to the bench of common pleas. In 1837 he withdrew from the bench and in October of that year was appointed one of the commissioners to revise and codify the public laws. The first edition of ther revised statutes was the result of the labors of this commission.
He was one of the forty-nine corporate members of the Maine Historical Society.
He married, Sept. 12, 1832, Louisa Sophia, daughter of Hon. Henry Weld Fuller, of Augusta.
1. Samuel Emerson, born in Augusta Aug. 31, 1833, died at Wiscasset Jan. 21, 1881.
2. Joseph Emerson, born March 19, 1835, married (first) Helen, dau. of William Cooper of Pittstown; (second) Sarah, dau. of Major John Babson, of Wiscasset; (third) Amy Bowie, of Baltimore, Maryland. children: i. Stuart Ingalls, died 1869, aged three; ii. Maud Fuller, marred Lorind Briggs, of Brookline, Mass.; iii. Joseph Emerson; iv. Aimee, married Harold Clifton Lane, of San Antonio, Texas.
3. Henry Weld Fuller, born at Wiscasset, May 6, 1837, died Oct. 26, 1866.
4. Edwin Manasseh, born Dec. 26, 1838; ["Captain Edwin M. Smith * * * completed a full course at Bowdoin College, after which he studied law and then finished his education by travel in Europe. Shortly after his return from abroad the war broke out, and with the ardor of a youthful nature he enlisted in the conflict. He was the first volunteer from his native town. His company unanimously elected him captain, and with it he joined the Fourth Maine and fought his first battle at Bull Run. Capt. Smith is said to have been one of the last officers of his regiment to leave the battlefield, and he barely escaped with his life by the use of his revolver. Soon after he was commissioned major of his regiment, but declined the office, preferring to follow his colonel, then made a brigadier-general, upon his staff as assistant adjutant-general." (From "Major General Hiram J. Berry, His Career, etc." by Edward K. Gould, published at Rockland, Me., in 1899). He was killed in the battle of Fair Oaks, May 31, 1862].
5. Benjamin Fuller, mentioned below.
(VI) Benjamin Fuller, son of Samuel Emerson Smith, was born at Wiscasset Feb. 28, 1842, died there March 23, 1885. He received his early education in the public schools of his native town, and graduated at Bowdoin College in 1863. He began the practice of law in the office of Melville W. Fuller, in Chicago, being a partner with him in the firm of Fuller & Smith. Later he went to Wiscasset, where he practiced his profession.
In politics he was a Democrat, and was a member of the governor's staff. He was county attorney, and seved the town as selectman, auditor, overseer of the poor and superintendent of schools. In religion he was an Episcopalian.
He married, Dec. 5, 1866, in St. John's Church at Bangor, Marion Louise, daughter of Daniel Mosely Howard, of Bangor.
1. Howard Bainbridge, born in Chicago, March 8, 1868, now in Germany.
2. Christine Louise, born in Bangor, Oct. 6, 1869, died Aug. 9, 1902.
3. Marion Stuart, born in Bangor, March 31, 1871, married Sept. 26, 1906, Dr. A. Theodore Gaillard, of Charlestown, South Carolina; resides in Atlanta, Georgia; had son Theodore Lee Gaillard, born in New York City, Nov. 18, 1907.
4. Harold Joseph Emerson, mentioned below.
(VII) Harold Joseph Emerson, son of Benjamin Fuller Smith, was born in Wiscasset, Maine, May 1, 1877. He was sent to Germany in early youth to be educated, and he attended Karl's Gymnasium at Suttgart [trans: spelling?] and the Vitzthum Gymnasium at Dresden, Germany. He returned to his native land in 1892 and engaged in the fire insurance business in Bangor, in the office of D. M. Howard. From 1895 to 1907 he was connected with the Long Island Railroad Company in New York City. Since 1907 he has resided in the old home at Wiscasset, built one hundred and twenty-five years ago, his son being the fifth generation of the Smith family to live in it.
Mr. Smith has taken an active interest in the affairs of the town and is at present on the board of selectmen of Wiscasset.
He is a Republican in politics and an Episcopalian in religion.
He married May 17, 1905, Susan Cowles, born at Chicago Nov. 1, 1882, daughter of John Cowles and Susan Rae (Henry) Grant, of Chicago.
1. Marion Howard, born in New York, May 11, 1906.
2. Emerson, born in Wiscasset, Oct. 25, 1907.
The ancestry of the children of Benjamin Fuller and Marion Louise (Howard) Smith has been traced through various lines to the following pioneers: Thomas Edmunds, of Wethersfield, Conn.; Griffon Graft, of Roxbury (1631); Thomas Gardiner, who came in the ship "Elizabeth," 1635; Rebecca Crooke (1646); Rev. Thomas Weld, of Roxbury (1632); Rev. Samuel Whiting, of Lynn; Thomas Savage, who came in the ship "Planter" to Boston in 1636; William Hutchins, Boston, 1634; Edward Tyng, Boston, 1636; Thomas Fox, of Cambridge, died 1693; Rev. John Rogers, of Plymouth, 1635, settled later at Rowley; Hezekiah Usher, of Cambridge, died 1676; Zaccheus Gould, 1638; Edward Giles, of Salem, 1633; Job Swinnerton, Salem, 1637; Thomas Flagg, 1637; Michael Leffenwell, of Woburn; John Winslow, married Mary Chilton; Samuel Edson, of Salem, died 1692; John Fobes of Duxbury; Rev. James Keith, of Scotland, 1662; Richard Williams, of Taunton, 1633, cousin to Oliver Cromwell; Richard Holden, Ipswich, 1634; Stephen Fosdick, Charlestown, 1635; Samuel Packard, 1638; Thomas French, of Ipswich, 1638; John Ramsdell, of Ipswich and Topsfield, 1631; Elizabeth Wooten, of Roxbury, 1636; Jeremiah Rogers, of Dorchester, before 1672; Jabez Pears, of Dorchester, 1631; John Marston, 1660; Thomas Emerson, of Ipswich, 1638; Rev. Peter Bulkeley, of Concord, 1659; Jane (Allen) Bulkeley; Nicholas Brown, of Reading, 1654; John Brown, of Reading, 1634; Rev. John Fiske, of Chelmsford, 1637; Elizabeth Clark, sister of John Clark, Newport, Rhode Island; Joseph Emerson, of Mendon; Cornelius Waldo; Hannah Cogswell, of Ipswich; William Moody came in the syip "Mary and John" to Ipswich, 1633; Thomas Bradbury, of Salisbury, 1639; John Perham, of Boston and Ipswich, 1631; Henry Sewell, 1634; Jane Dummer; Hannah Fessenden, died in York, 1723; Anthony Fisher, of Dedham, 1637; Nicholas Marriott, of Salem and Marblehead, 1637; Robert Crossman, of Taunton, 1657; Gilbert Brooks, Rehoboth, 1621; John Bryant, Scituate, 1639; Stephen Bryant, of Plymouth, 1632; John Hall, of Charlestown, 1697; Rev. William Blackstone, 1623, the first settler of Boston; Thomas Brown; Thomas Edwards, of Wethersfield, Conn., died 1688; Edward Spaulding, of Braintree, 1640; William Simmons, of Concord, died 1672; Dolor Davis, died 1673; John Hall, of Cover, N. H., 1694; William Furber, of Dover, 1637; Quentin Pray, of Lynn and Braintree, 1667; John Downing, of Braintree, 1640; Henry Sewall, of Ipswich, 1634.
(For preceding generations, see Robert Smith I).
(V) Manasseh (2), eldest son of Manasseh (1) and Hannah (Emerson) Smith, was born in Hollis, Aug. 16, 1779. He removed with his family to Maine, graduated from Harvard in 1800, and established himself in Warren, wehre he died, a worthy and prominent citizen, in 1822.
He married Olivia Hovey, daughter of Dr. Ivory Hovey, of Berwick, by whom he had eight children.
(VI) Manasseh Hovery, son of Manasseh and Olivia (Hovey) Smith, was born in 1807 and died in 1865. He married Mary Myrick Dole.
Mary Caroline, Manasseh, Elizabeth H.,, Everett, Edith, Harold and Osgood.
(VII) Mary Caroline, eldest daughter of Manasseh H. and Mary M. (Dole) Smith, was born in Warren, July 29, 1838, and married Nov. 13, 1861, Frederick Fox, lawyer, who was born in 1827, died in Portland, 1894.
(VII) Manasseh (3), eldest son of Manasseh H. and Mary M. (Dole) Smith, was born in Warren, Maine, Dec. 24, 1841, and is a lawyer. He resides at Woodfords.
He married, 1871, Georgiana W. Hall, of Quebec, ho was born in Quebec, 1848, daughter of George B. Hall.
Mary, Gertrude, Helen, Katherine, Benson, Manasseh (4), Ruth, Bertha and Ralph.
Mary Myrich (DOLE) Smith, was a descendant of Richard Dole (q.v.), through Richard (II), Richard (III), Enoch (IV), Amos (V), and
(VI) Hon. John, fifth son of Amos and Molly (Page) DOLE, was born in Shirley, in 1773. He settled in Lincoln county in the province of Maine, where he held the office of judge of the court of common pleas, and died in 1842.
He married Elizabeth Carleton.
Sullivan, Carleton, Mary W., Nancy, Jefferson, Albert G., William King, Elizabeth C. and Mary Myrick, next mentioned.
(VII) Mary Myrick, child of Judge John and Elizabeth (Carleton) Dole, was born in Alna, Lincoln county, Maine, in 1818, and died in Portland, 1905, aged eighty-seven years. She married Manasseh H. Smith.
John Smith came from England about 1630, to Barnstable, Mass., and probably died Oct. 2, 1710, at the exteme age of ninety-six years. In 1663 he succeeded Rev. William Sargent as pastor of the Barnstable church; subsequently went to Long Island and New Jersey, and in 1675 removed to Sandwich, becoming pastor of that church there 1676, continuing until 1688, when, at the age of seventy-four, his pastorate was terminated at his own request.
He married, 1643, Susanna, daughter of Samuel Hinckley, who was brother of Thomas Hinckley, afterward governor.
1. Samuel, born April, 1644.
2. Sarah, b. May, 1645.
3. Eben, b. Oct., 1646.
4. Mary, b. Nov., 1647.
5. Dorcas, b. Aug., 1650.
6. John, died 1651.
7. Shubael, b. Nov., 1653.
8. John, b. Sept., 1656.
9. Benjamin, b. Jan. 7, 1658.
10. Ichabod, b. Jan. 7, 1660.
11. Elizabeth, b. Feb., 1662.
12. Thomas, b. Feb., 1664; see forward.
13. Joseph, b. Dec. 6, 1667.
(II) Thomas, eighth son of John Smith, was prominent in public affairs. He was representative to the general court, 1698-99; one of the two selectmen, 1697; was town treasurer of Sandwich at the time of his death, Dec. 9, 1700.
He married Abigail ____.
1. Samuel, born Jan., 1688, see forward.
2. John, born Feb. 7, 1689.
3. Thomas, born Dec. 25, 1691.
4. Isaac, born Feb. 11, 1693.
5. Abigail, born Jan. 17, 1695.
6. Rebecca, born Nov. 7, 1697, married Rev. Benjamin Fessenden.
7. Shubael, born Nov. 20, 1699.
(III) Samuel, eldest son of Thomas Smith, is mentioned by Rev. Mr. Fessenden as "one of the heads of families" in Sandwich, 1730; little more is known of him.
He married, Oct. 6, 1717, Bethia, daughter of Hon. John Chipman. She was of "Mayflower" descent. Among the passengers of that historic vessel were John Tilley and wife Elizabeth, dau. Elizabeth and John Howland. The two last-named married, after reaching Plymouth, and their daughter Hope married Elder John Chipman, 1646, and their granddaughter Bethia became wife of Samuel Smith.
1. Thomas, born Sept. 17, 1718.
2. Samuel, born Feb. 19, 1720.
3. Abigail, born Dec. 16, 1722, married Samuel Thaxter, of Hingham.
4. Bethia, born Dec. 10, 1724, married Thomas Loring of Hingham.
5. Mary, born May 8, 1727, married Calvin Gay, of Hingham.
6. John, born Sept. 12, 1729.
7. Rebecca, born July 19, 1731, married Elisha Bisby, of Pembroke.
8. Shubael, born June 10, 1733.
9. Deborah, born May 6, 1737.
10. Stephen, born May 30, 1739, see forward.
11. and 12. Lucy and Lydia (twins), born Nov. 3, 1741; Lucy died aged three weeks; Lydia married Joseph Loring, of Hingham.
(IV) Stephen, son of Samuel Smith, was born in Sandwich May 30, 1739. In 1772 he removed to Machias, Maine, where a settlement had been made nine years earlier. In 1776 he was appointed truck master to the Indians, by the provincial congress, his duties being to provision the Indians and keep them from taking an active part against the colonists in the revolution. Next year he is known as Captain Smith of the militia, and was associated with Colonel John Allen, Colonel Eddy and Major Stillman in defense of the settlements in eastern Maine. In numerous skirmishes he proved himself a good commander, and one whom the Indians respected and obeyed. He was frequently mentioned in reports to the governor and council for his excellent service. In 1777, when the soldiers at Machias were suffering for supplies, he advanced money to pay them off, and also for blankets, of which they were in great need. These sums were afterward repaid him. His reports, now in the Massachusetts archives, are model business documents. In 1781 he was on the committee of safety and correspondence. He was one of the first selectmen of Machias, when the town was incorporated, 1784, and in 1790 President Washington appointed him first collector of customs there.
He was one of the first sixteen proprietors of the first meeting house, 1774, his subscription being the largest on the list, and a liberal supporter of the first minister, Rev. James Lyon.
He was made a Mason in St. Andrew's Lodge, Boston, March 26, 1778; a charter member of Warren Lodge, Machias, 1777; its first treasurer, and in 1787, at at times advanced money to the lodge for its needs. He was a mill owner and lumber manufacturer; and partner for some years with George Stillman.
He married, 1762, Deborah, daughter of Jonathan and Patience Ellis, of Plymouth. He died Sept. 29, 1806; she died March 4, 1825. Their grave stones have recently been identified, and their descendants are caring for the graves.
(first five born in Sandwich, the others in Machias)
1. Stephen, born Nov. 6, 1763, married Hannah Hill; children: Deborah, married Harrison Thatcher; Ellis; John Otis; Thomas; Adeline, married Simon Elwell; Turner Nathan; George; Mary, married Fred Bowker, second ____ Ward' Coffin; Harrison.
2. Deborah, born Feb. 22, 1766, married Joseph Wallace; children: Louis J.; John T.; William E.; George W.; Elizabeth T., married Stephen J. Bowles; Charles A.; Deborah.
3. William Ellis, born Dec. 8, 1767, married Hannah Lyon; children: Stephen; Maria, married Wilmot W. Nash; James; Harrison T.; William F.; Joseph Warren; Charles Edward; Henry L.; Caroline.
4. Samuel, born Dec. 28, 1769, married Sally Kelly; children: William; Sally, married Nathaniel Wilson; Samuel; Betsey, married John H. McAllister; George S.; Deborah, married Benjamin Maloon.
5. Joseph Otis, see forward.
6. Jane, born Nov. 16, 1774, married Silas Turner; children: Sally, married Cyrus W. Foster; Eliza; Miranda, married Joshua A. Lowell; Ellery; Rebecca, married Ovid Burrall; Deborah, married Peter S. J. Talbot; Betsey.
7. Lydia, born Jan. 18, 1777, married Samuel P. Clark; children: Parker; Judith, married H. T. Smith; Deborah, married William F. Smith; Hannah; Nelson; Sarah; Lydia; Jane, married Enoch Dorman, (second) Stephen Longfellow.
8. Elizabeth Otis, born Aug. 11, 1779, married Ebenezer Inglee; children: Charles; Anna, married Dennis Garland; William; Betsey; Jane; Lewis; John; Charles.
9. George S., born Sept. 14, 1781, married Sally Farnsworth; children: William B.; George S.; Thomas D.
Four of the ancestors of Captain Stephen Smith on his mother's side came over in the "Mayflower," viz.: John and Elizabeth Tilley, their daughter Elizabeth and John Howland. Soon after their arrival at Plymouth John Howland married Elizabeth Tilley. Hope Howland, dau. of John and Elizabeth, married Elder John Chipman in 1646, and their granddaughter Bethia, dau. of the Hon. John Chipman, married Samuel Smith and was the mother of Stephen Smith.
(V) Joseph Otis, M. D., son of Stephen Smith, was born in Sandwich, Mass., Jan. 31, 1772. He resided in Addison, Maine, where he was highly regarded for his professional ability and fine personal traits of character.
He married, 1804, Betsey Strout Coffin, widow of Barnabas Coffin, daughter of Jeremiah Strout.
1. Deborah Ellis, born May 25, 1805, died Feb. 11, 1868; married Oliver Nash.
2. Stephen, born Feb. 11, 1807, married Almy Springer.
3. Barnabas Coffin, born Jan. 13, 1809, see forward.
4. George Stillman, born Nov. 27, 1812, died Sept. 12, 1850; married Elizabeth P. Bradley.
(VI) Barnabas Coffin, son of Dr. Joseph Otis Smith, was born Jan. 13, 1809, and died Jan. 3, 1881. He passed the first twenty-five years of his life in his native town - Addison, Maine - after that residing in Weston, Hodgdon and Linneus. His busy life was devoted to farming and lumbering, and his sons were early trained to assist in the varied duties of such a life. Although he never held public office, he was a public-spirited man, and most earnest in his interest in the church and moral reforms, the cause of temperance being especially near his heart.
He married, Jan. 13, 1834, Maria Louise Small, who died in 1864, while three of her sons were battling for the Union under General Grant, in Virginia. She was a refined, Christian woman, with a calm nature, yet possessing great decision of character - qualities which descended in large degree to her sons.
1. Zemro A., born Aug. 26, 1837, married Alice Robinson.
2. Joseph O., see forward.
3. George A., born Sept. 9, 1842, killed in the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 10, 1864.
4. Susan E., born Aug. 19, 1847, married Frank C. Nickerson.
5. Neal D., born Dec. 21, 1853, married Mary M. Williams.
6. Berda, born Dec. 9, 1857, died March 23, 1858.
7. Clare L., born Sept. 30, 1860, married Fred W. Roberts.
(VII) Joseph Otis, son of Barnabas C. Smith, was born in Weston, Maine, April 24, 1839, and died in Skowhegan, Aug. 31, 1905. His boyhood and early manhood were spent in Weston and Hodgdon. He was educated in the common schools of those towns, and at Houlton Academy, now Ricker Classical Institute, and after completing his studies he taught country schools in the neighborhood of his home.
He entered the army Aug. 14, 1863, and was on detached duty until May following, when he joined Company C, Eleventh Maine Volunteers, at Gloucester Point, Virginia. He was promoted corporal Sept. 1, 1864, first sergeant Dec. 1 following, and May 2, 1865, was commissioned second lieutenant of Company F. He participated in all the battles of the regiment in 1864-65, including Bermuda Hundred, Deep Bottom, Deep Run and Appomattox. He was also with troops on duty in New York during the presidential election of 1864. After the cessation of hostilities he was provost marshal and assistant superintendent of freedmen for Stafford county, and subsequently assistant adjutant general of the sub-district of Essex, with headquarters at Rappahannock, Virginia.
He was never wounded, but was stricken down with fever, and was a patient in the field hospital through the greater part of October, 1864. Like most veterens, he bore the consequences of the privations and exposures of his service in after life. The watchers at his bedside during his last moments, when the mind in the weakened boy roved at will, learned how strong were the impressions of his army life, as words fell from his fevered lips showed that he was living over again the incidents of camp and field.
He greatly prized his association with his fellow soldiers, and attended their meetings as often as possible. He was an original member of Seth Williams Post, G.A.R., Augusta, and on removing to Skowhegan was transferred to Ruseell Post, of which he became commander. He was a member of the Union Veteran Union, and was made colonel of A. Lincoln Command. He was elected March 7, 1883, to membership in the Maine Commandery, Loyal Legion, and that body published an appreciative memorial at the time of his death.
For five years following his return from the army, Mr. Smith was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Hodgdon. On Sept. 25, 1878, he purchased the Somerset Reporter, which under a different name had been conducted by his brother, Zemro A. Smith, ten years before. He had as partners, at different times, Edward P. Mayo and Elmer E. McNeelie. Jan. 1, 1904, the last-named assumed the editorial control. This arrangement allowed him to continue his editorial work even in failing health, and after he was confined to his house. His last contribution to the paper was an article on the late Hon. John Hay, only a few months before his own death.
He impressed his personality strongly upon his paper, and made it a strong advocate of local interests, and lofty moral and political principles. His public services were of conspicuous usefulness, and he brought to them high ability and sterling integrity.
In Hodgdon, prior to 1872, he was town clerk, superintending school committeeman, town treasurer, and postmaster. In 1869-70 he represented Hodgdon in the legislature, and in 1872-73 was assistant clerk of the house, taking up his residence in Augusta the latter year, and lived there until 1885, except two years (1879-80), spent in Skowhegan. He was chief clerk in the office of the secretary of state, 1874-75; deputy secretary of state, 1876-80; secretary of state, 1881-84; state insurance commissioner, 1885-93. Regarding this service the Kennebec Journal paid him a lofty tribute, saying: "It has been given to few men to serve our state longer or in more responsible positions, and both as an official and citizen he commanded the confidence of all."
His interest in politics constituted an important part of his life. He was secretary of the Republican state committee, 1876-80, when Mr. Blaine was chairman; and served on the state committee 1890-1902. His last public position was that of presdential elector-at-large, 1900. As the Maine electors met before those of any other state, and Mr. Smith was first to vote, he considered that he had the honor of casting the first electoral vote for Theodore Roosevelt for vice-president.
Early in life he joined the Free Baptist church of Hodgdon, and later became a member of Bethany Baptist Church of Skowhegan, of which he was a deacon at the time of his death. He was affiliated with Somerset Lodge and Chapter, of the Masonic fraternity. For several years he had been a director in the Second National Bank. His scholarly ability and tastes were recognized in 1893, when Colby College conferred upon him the honorary degree of master of arts, his son, George Otis, receiving the bachelor's degree at the same time.
Mr. Smith married, March 17, 1860, Cordelia Smith, daughter of Daniel and Keziah (Underhill) Smith, of Hodgdon. Mrs. Smith died in Richmond, Virginia, Nov. 13, 1865.
Eda Kezia, born Nov. 10, 1861, married, Nov. 2, 1898, Edward Leighton Pegram, of Decatur, Illiois.
Mr. Smith married (second) Nov. 21, 1868, Emma Mayo, who survives him. She was dau. of Rev. Leonard and Nancy (Withington) Mayo, of Hodgdon.
1. George Otis, see forward.
2. Josephine Withington, born June 5, 1873, married Aug. 8, 1900, William B. Pierce, of Beverly, Mass. They have two children: Rachel Barron, b. Jan. 2, 1904, and Esther Mayo, b. April 20, 1908.
(VIII) George Otis, only son of Joseph Otis Smith, was born in Hodgdon, Feb. 22, 1871. He graduated from Colby College in 1893, and immediately joined a U. S. Geological Survey field party working on the Marquette iron range in Michigan. During the next three years he took a post-graduate course in geology at Johns Hopkins University, spending one field season on the Marquette range, and another in reconnaissance work in the state of Washington. On his graduation with the degree of PHD., in June, 1896, he joined the U. S. Geological Survey as assistant geologist, having taken the first civil service examination held for that position. In July, 1901, he was promoted to geologist and in 1906 was appointed geologist in charge of petrology, with scientific supervision of all the survey work in that department. In the course of his professional career he has worked in Michigan, Washington, Utah, North Carolina, the New England states, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In the course of his Washington work he made a special study of several artesian basins, and the results were published as a water-supply paper. His experience in that state also included economic work in the coal fields, and the results were published in a survey report on the coal fields of the Pacific coast. In connection with a special reconnaissance along the northwestern boundary and across the Cascade range, in 1901, he made a topographic map upon which to record geologic observations, exact geographic locations being necessary in examining the boundary monuments. The results of his investigations in Washington, in addition to his report on coal, were published by the survey as a report on the rocks of Mount Ranier; in the Tecoma, Ellensburg and Mount Stuart folios; in a paper on the geology and physiology of central Washington; and in a paper on gold mining in central Washington. In addition, Dr. Smith contributed papers to the bulletins of the Geological Society of America, and to various periodicals; an article on the Mount Baker mining district, in the Engineering and Mining Journal in 1902. The Clealum iron ores were described in a contribution to the "Transactions of the American Institute of Mining Engineers," 1901. In 1900 the Geological Survey issued the Tintic special folio in which Dr. Smith described the geologic structure of a famous Utah camp. An account of the occurrence and origin of the ore bodies, the joint work of Messrs. Tower and Smith, had appeared the year before as a report on the geology and mining industry of the Tintic district. While pursuing his investigations of the areas of crystalline rocks in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland, including the granites used as building stones, he made a special study of several minerals of economic value, including molybenite. He also prepared the 1905 production reports on mica, graphite and asbestos.
In addition to his geologic work, Dr. Smith served as chairman of a committee on accounting and bookkeeping, working under the direction of the committee on departmental methods, otherwise known as the Keep Commission. This gave him opportunity to familiarize himself with the details of departmental administration, and he also acted for several months as chairman of the committee on business methods in the Geological Survey. In April, 1907, he was appointed by President Roosevelt director of the survey, to succeed Charles D. Walcott, taking the oath of office on May 1st. He is a fellow of the Geological Society of America, and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers.
Dr. Smith married, Nov. 18, 1896, Grace M., daughter of Stephen and Helen (Miller) Coburn, of Skowhegan.
Charles Coburn, born Oct. 4, 1897.
Joseph Coburn, born Sept. 14, 1900.
Helen Coburn, born Dec. 4, 1904.
Elizabeth Coburn, born Dec. 3, 1907.
(For early generations see preceding sketch)
(V) Stephen (2), son of Stephen (1) and Deborah (Ellis) Smith, born in Sandwich, Mass., Nov. 6, 1763, died in Machias, Maine, about 1830. He married Hannah Hill.
Deborah, Ellis, Thomas, Adeline, Turner, Nathan, George, Mary, Coffin, Harrison and John Otis.
(VI) John Otis, son of Stephen (2) and Hannah (Hill) Smith, was born in Machias, Maine, in 1790, died there in 1845. He married Love Scott, whose ancestors came from Scarboro, Miane, to Machias about 1763.
Hannah, Deborah, Theodore, Sarah, John, Nathan T., Evelyn, Delia, Harlan and William Otis.
(VII) William Otis, son of John Otis and Love (Scott) Smith, born in Machias, Maine, March 25, 1816, died there March 10, 1902. He was a lumber merchant, and belonged to the state militia of Maine.
He married Susan C. Hoyt, fifth child of Daniel and Eleanor (Harvey) Hoyt, and granddaughter of Daniel Hoyt.
1. William Otis, deceased.
2. Emeline Love, married Jonathan A. Longfellow; children: Frederick Otis, William Morris, Elizabeth Mayhew and Ada Amelia Longfellow.
3. Elizabeth Penniman, married Edgar M. Gilpatrick; child: Roy Hawkes.
4. John Herbert, deceased.
5. Henry Herbert, see forward.
(VIII) Henry Herbert, son of William Otis and Susan C. (Hoyt) Smith, was born at Machias, Maine, Jan. 9, 1855. He received his early education in the common schools of Machias and at Washington Academy at East Machias. He then entered Bowdoin College, graduating as Bachelor of Arts in 1877, out of course, and in the same year graduated as Doctor of Medicine from Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He at once began practice in Machias, remaining for a period of nineteen years, after which he removed to Whitneyville, Connecticut, where he remained for four and a half years, and hence removed to New Haven, same state, where he has remained in general practice to the present time (1908). He has contributed articles from time to time to various medical journals of the county on medical topics, which were widely circulated and read with interest.
In addition to his professional duties he is serving in the capacity of director of the People's Bank and Trust Company of New Haven. While a resident of Maine, Dr. Smith was a member of the Maine Academy of Medicine, the Maine Medical Association and the American Academy of Medicine, and from 1885 to 1893 was secretary of the board of the U. S. examining surgeons for pensions. He is now a member of the Connecticut State Medical Society, New Haven County Medical Society, New Haven Citizens Medical Society, Graduate Club of New Haven, Union League of New Haven, and of the Connecticut Society, Sons of American Revolution.
He is a member of various Masonic bodies, including Harwood Lodge, No. 91, Machias, Maine, which he joined in 1885, and of which he is past master; Washington Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of which he is past high priest; St. Croix Council, Royal and Select Masters; St. Elmo Commandery, Knights Templar; Delta Lodge of Perfection and Deering Council, Princes of Jerusalem, of which he is past grand master. After removing to New Haven he affiliated with the various lodges there and received his thirty-second degree. He is also a member of Pyramid Temple of the Mystic Shrine, of Bridgeport, Ct.
He is a Republican in politics.
Dr. Smith married, Dec. 24, 1877, at Machias, Maine, Mary Elizabeth Longfellow, daughter of Edwin and Agnes B. (Brown) Longfellow, of Machias. Mrs. Smith died April 15, 1884.
Philip Seabury Smith, an electrical engineer.
In 1897 Mr. Smith married Julia Brown Longfellow, a sister of his first wife.
One of the numerous lines of this name, whose origin has been lost in the mists and uncertainties of the past, when records were illy kept, begins, as far as is now ascertainable, in Orrington, Maine. Like others of the name, the present family has been useful in clearing up the wilderness and in developing civilization in New England, and has been worthily represented in professional life througout the country.
(I) The present line begins with Captain Heman Smith, who was a master mariner, active in the commerce of his day.
(II) David, son of Captain Heman Smith, is supposed to have been born in Orrington, Maine, where he died. The maiden name of his wife was also Smith, but no record appears of the date of their marriage or her baptismal name.
(III) Heman (2), son of David Smith, was born in Orrington, Maine, and in early manhood was a farmer. About 1830 he bought a farm of one hundred acres in that town, and later on engaged in dairying, and the breeding of pure-blooded Jersey cattle and fine horses. He was a member of the Congregational church, in which both his wife and himself were active workers. In politics he was a Whig, and became a Republican on the organization of that party.
He married, in 1833, Lydia Buffum Wheeler, daughter of Captain Simeon Wheeler, of Harpswell.
Four sons and a daughter.
(IV) Heman Page, son of Heman (2) and Lydia (Buffum) (Wheeler) Smith, was born in Orrington, Maine, Dec. 31, 1842. He began his education in the common schools, passed through the high school, and while preparing for college the civil war began. Discontinuing his studies to enter the service of his country, he enlisete July 24, 1862, as a private in Company B, First Regiment Maine Heavy Artillery, and was appointed corporal. At the age of twenty he was promoted to sergeant, later to orderly sergeant, and at the age of twenty-one was engaged for eighteen months in manning the fortifications defending the national capital. It was then equipeed as infantry, and went to the front, being assigned to the Second Corps, Army of the Poromac, and participated in the most eventful campaigns and desperate battles of the war, including the battles of Fredericksburg Pike, North Anna, Totopotomy, the two assaults on Petersburg, the battle of Jerusalem Road, the siege of Petersburg, followed by the battle of Deep Bottom, the capture of the Weldon Railroad, the engagements at Boydton Road, Hatcher's Run, Sailor's Creek, Cold Harbor, Vaughn Road and Farmville, and the brilliant operations at Appomattox Court House, which marked the downfall of the Confederacy and the final victory of the Union cause.
In the assault on Petersburg, on June 18, 1864, Lieut. Smith's regiment suffered the extraordinary loss of six hundred and four men. The Rebellion Records show this to have been the greatest loss sustained by any regiment in a single engagement during the war, while the percentage of killed was exceeded in only one instance. In this assault Smith (then orderly sergeant) received a serious wound in the thigh, from a piece of shell, which confined him for more than two months in Lincoln Hospital, Washington City. At the end of this time, and while still in a critical condition, he was conveyed on a stretcher to the cars, and taken to Augusta, Maine, and he was there mustered out of the service of the U. S. on Aug. 21st, 1865, with the rank of second lieutenant, being even then on crutches, fourteen months after his wound, and more than four months after the cessation of hostilities.
After regaining his health, he entered Worthington & Warner's Business College, at Bangor, Maine, from which he graduated, and for the following two years he was a tutor in that institution. For a period of five years afterward he was connected with the publishing house of Woolworth, Ainsworth & Company, of Boston. For one year he was an instructor in Teachers' Institutes in the State of Massachusetts. Subsequently he accepted a position as instructor of drawing in the public schools of New York City, in which capacity he served with success for ten years. He was associated with the publishing house of Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Company, in the work of introducing their works on drawing in the schools of the principal cities of the country, and while so occupied was author of White's Series of Drawing Books for Public Schools, published by that firm. He also engaged in institute work, in New York and Pennsylvania, and was frequently a lecturer on the subject of drawing, before Teachers' Institutes. During nine years of his busy career in this line, he was an instructor of drawing in the National Summer School for Teachers, held at Glens Falls, New York. For five years he was supervisor of drawing in the public schools of Brooklyn, from which he resigned to engage in the publishing business. For a period of seven years he was vice-president of the publishing firm of Richardson, Smith & Company, and in 1905 became associated with the Macmillan Company, having charge of its educational department in Greater New York.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Park Congregational Church of Brooklyn, in which he was for thirty years a member of the board of trustees, resigning in 1907, and for the past twelve years he has been superintendent of the Sunday school of this church. He is a member of the Congregational Club of New York, and one of the fifteen organizing members, and is a member of the board of managers of the Brooklyn Sunday School Union.
In politics he is an ardent Republican, and served as president of the Sixth District Republican Association for several years. He is prominent in various patriotic organizations - U. S. Grand Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Brooklyn, of which he was adjutant for two years, commander in 1893, and in 1899 was chairman of the memorial committee having in charge the Decoration Day observances at the tomb of General U. S. Grant. For some years past he has been Patriotic Instructor of his Post, and in that capactiy has been instrumental in the useful work of providing schools with war veteran speakers on patriotic occasions, and presentation of national flags to schools on many occasions. He is also a companion of the New York Commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion; and a member of the First Maine Regiment Organization of Veterans, of which he was vice-president in 1901, and president in 1908; and a member of the Maine Society of New York.
Mr. Smith married, Nov. 13, 1867, in Brewer Village, Maine, Emily (Shedd) Hodges, daughter of Thomas and Lydia (Tebbitts) Hodges, of Brewer. Mrs. Smith was born in Brewer Village, and was a teacher in her native state.
1. Ralph Weston, born 1869; he was educated in Brooklyn; is connected with Macmillan Company, publishers, New York City; married, and has three children.
2. Albert Ainsworth, born 1871; educated in Brooklyn; is a special agent of North River Fire Insurance Company of New York City; married, and has one child.