Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
SMALL (also some CLARK)
The Smalls were intimately connected with the earliest history of Maine and New Hampshire. They were of English blood, and brought with them the traditions of a valiant ancestry. In the year 1330, John and William Small, of Dartmouth, were flatteringly mentioned in an act under Edward III, and some of their descendants seemed to have resided there continuously to this day. There were also records in 1682 of Smalls in Gloucesterhire, England, who claimed to be of the same origin as the Smalleys of Leicestershire. In early early York deeds we find that the name has been spelled Smale, Small, and Samlley - these different spellings have been used by the same men. It is not to be wondered at that some branches of this family have adoped the form Smalley.
(I) Edward Small, who came to America about 1632, was probably from Dartmouth, or some other point in Devonshire, England, where the family has long been one of high character and position. He is said to have come under the auspices of his kinsman, Sir Ferdinando Gorges. He, with Champernown and others, founded Piscataqua, which was afterwards divided into Maine towns of Kittery, Eliot, South Berwich, and Berwick.
Edward Small was at the first general court at Saco in 1640, also member of the grand jury the same year. His name was entered on the list as "Edward Small, gent," We find him at old Falmouth, Maine, in 1640; a magistrate there in 1645; and that afterwards he was at the Isle of Shoals. He was one of the magistrates of the general court held at Saco, Oct. 21, 1645. He seems to have built a house in Piscataqua before 1643, as the grant of one hundred acres made to him July 25, 1643, by Thomas Gorges, deputy governor of the Province of Maine (in behalf of Sir Ferdinando Gorges Kt. Ld., proprietor of said province) was specified as "lying between two crickes of each side of the house of the said Edward Small, and so backward to Sturgeon Crick," five shillings yearly being payment for the same. Five years later, June 23, 1647, Edward Small sold this tract of land and "my dwelling house field" to Antipus Maverick, for forty-five pounds.
No mention of wife or children is found in any deed or record. The last mention we find of him is in the Isle of Shoals, in 1653. He probably returned to England.
(II) Francis Small, who may be regarded as the ancestor of the Small family of Maine, may have been the son of Edward Small, but of this we have no proof. He came to America about 1632. He was baptized in England Oct. 6, 1625. He may have been named for Captain Francis Champernown, whose father, Arthur Champernown, was owner of large grants of land in Maine and New Hampshire. Francis Cahmpernown died in 1687, aged seventy-three. He had no children of his own, so willed his large estates to his wife (who was the widow of Robert Cutt) and to her children. He also gave to Elizabeth Small, "my servant maid, in behalf of what I formerly promised her," thirty acres of land at Spruce Creek; also ten pounds in cattle and ten pounds in goods. Elizabeth Small may have been a sister of Francis. She was the wife of Thomas Hooper, of York, when she sold this piece of land to Henry Barter, of Kittery, March 5, 1697-98.
Francis Small was living in Dover, N. H. in 1648, with his wife Elizabeth. In 1657 he was a resident of Falmouth, Maine. The earliest Indian deed of land in Falmouth was made July 27, 1657, by Scitterygussett, to Francis Small. It reads: "Bee it knowne unto all men by these presents, that I Scitterygussett of Casco Bay Sagamore, do hereby grant, sell &c all that upland and Marshes at Capissicke, Lying up along the Northerne side of the river unto the head thereof & so to reach & extend unto ye river side of Ammecungan." Francis Small bound himself "yearly to pay unto ye said Scitterygussett Sagamore, during his life, one Trading coate for Capussicke & one Gallone of Lyquors for Ammomingan." May 10, 1658, Francis Small assinged one-half of this land to John Phillips, of Boston.
July 13, 1658, the "Inhabitants of Black Poynt, Bleu Point, Spurwink and Cascoe Bay owned themselves subject to the Government of Mass. Bay in N. E." Francis Small headed this list, and was one of the few whose names were written without a mark. Nov. 2, 1658, he sold to Isaac Walker, of Boston, "the plantation lately bought of Richard Martyn, called Martyn's Point, over against Clapboard Island." He had a grant of one hundred acres of land in that part of Kittery called Newichawannock, also two hundred and two acres on eastern side of the Piscatqua river. (See deed to his son Daniel Small, of Truro, Mass., dated Oct. 31, 1712).
In the year 1659, Francis Small "was employed by Major Nicholas Shapleigh to purchase a certain great Ysland called Sebascoe Diggin, lying against a Necke of land called Merriconeaag." He built a house there "by order of Major Shapleigh and possessed the Yland in his behalf." "This was called Small's Island." May 10, 1683, Francis Small, senior, aged about fifty-six, and his wife Elizabeth, aged about forty-nine, testified to the above facts. They had one child born there, which was the "first white child of English parents" born in that part of Maine.
Francis Small was again attorney for Falmouth in 1663. He was living in Kittery in 1668, but he had a house and trading camp where the village of Cornish now is. This was doubtless the first house built in that town or in any other part of the Ossipee lands. "In the summer of 1668, Francis Small sold goods to the Newichawannoch tribe of Indians on credit, to be paid for in furs in the autumn; but when the time of payment drew near the red men deemed it easier to kill Small than to pay him, and they decided to fire his house and shoot him when he came out to escape the flames. Captain Sunday, the chief of the tribe, was friendly to Small, and told him what the Indians were to do, and advised him to flee for his life. Small thought the tale a cunningly devised fable to frighten him away in order to avoid payment; but when night came, thinking it wise to be on the side of safety, he secreted himself in some pines on the hill near by, and watched through the long November night. With the coming of the dawn, a flame of fire shot up from the burning house, whereupon Small took flight and paused not until he reached his home in Kittery. Chief Sunday followed Samll to Kittery, and there made good the loss, by selling to him the enitre Ossipee tract of land. The deed was dated Nov. 28, 1668. The signature of Captain Sunday was a turtle, It conveyed to Francis Small "my great tract of land at Osobe containing twenty miles square and lying between the two rivers of great Osobe, and Little Ossipee, so called, and being the same land where the said Francis Small's trading house now stands, and from the river Meehewonock near Humphrey Chadbourne's logging camp, and to extend Northerly and Easterly to Saco river." The consideration was "two large Indians blankets, Two gallons Rum, Two pounds powder, four pounds of Muscet Balls, and twenty string of Indian beads, with several other articles." This deed is still in existence, and was recorded in 1773, when one hundred and five years old. Francis Small conveyed one unidivided half of the Ossipee lands to Major Nicholas Shapleigh; and the other half to his son, Samuel, April 30, 1711. These lands were divided between the heirs of Francis Small and Nicholas Shapleigh about 1781. It is now incorporated in the towns of Limington, Limerick, Cornish, Parsonfield and Newfield. Cornish was first named Francisborough.
Francis Small had wife Elizabeth in 1648, when they were living in Dover, N. H. No record of marriage has been found, but it is probable that she was a Leighton.
Edward, married Mary Woodman, of Dover, N. H.
Francis, married Elizabeth ____, and died in Truro, Mass., 1709.
Samuel, born about 1664, in Kittery, Maine (see forward).
Benjamin, married Rebecca ____ and went to Harwich, Mass.
Daniel, a carpenter of Truro, Mass., in 1712; was of Provincetown, Mass. Feb., 1729-30.
Elizabeth, married March 7, 1704-05, John Pugsley, of Dover, N. H.
Alice, married Thomas Wormwood.
Mary, born about 1654, married Nicholas Frost, before 1677.
Francis Small went to Cape Cod to spend his last years, with his son Daniel, and died there about 1713, "being about 93 years of age."
(III) Samuel, son of Francis Small and Elizabeth (Leighton ?) Small, was born about 1664, in Kittery, Maine. He was living there in 1737, and may have reached an age as great as his father. A deposition of Samuel Small, dated Nov. 11, 1737, "aged about seventy-three years," testifies that in his youth he was a servant to Henry Jocelyn several years at Pemaquid. He may have remained there until the death of Mr. Jocelyn, in 1683. He had grants of land in Kittery in 1694-99, of one hundred acres. He bought of Peter Wittum, Dec. 12, 1696, sixteen acres on the southwest side of Sturgeon Creek, with house and orchard. He was still living there in 1728 (when he deeded it to his beloved son Joseph to be his "after my decease"). He had a grant of thirty-eight acres at Sturgeon creek on the 4th day of March, 1699-1700, which he sold to James Davis, Oct. 31, 1727.
He was one of the most respected men of the town. He was a witness to many deeds and wills, and helped settle many estates. No doubt he was an early member of the Berwick Congregational church, as his name is in the list of members June 4, 1702, the day that the new meeting house was dedicated. In 1711 he received the deed of the Ossipee lands from his father, Francis Small. It may be well to mention here that when Francis Small was over ninety years old and too feeble to sign his name, he gave a deed of these same lands to his son Daniel (dated Oct. 31, 1712). This deed was proved invalid.
Samuel Small married, before 1694, Elizabeth Chadbourne, widow of James Chadbourne, and daugher of Ensign James Heard.
Childre, b. in Kittery:
Elizabeth, born Nov. 9, 1695, married Benjamin March, Feb. 10, 1713-14.
Samuel Jr., born April 17, 1700 (see forward).
Joseph, born Dec. 3, 1702, married Mary Libby, April 12, 1722.
Mary, baptized May 27, 1707, married Solomon Davis, of Marblehead, Oct. 15, 1720.
(IV) Deacon Samuel (2), second child of Samuel (1) and Elizabeth (Heard) Small, was born in Kittery, Maine, April 17, 1700. When but a lad he displayed all the sturdy characteristics of is long line of noble ancestry. He treaded the pathways of the forest to the north and west, and sailed far along the eastern coast. He was the third and last single owner of the famous Ossipee lands. He was very active in the organization of the First Congregational Church in Scarboro (where he made his home after 1726), and was its first deacon in 1728. He was chosen clerk of Scarbobo in 1727, and with the single exception of 1775, when he was probably absent from home attending to matters in connection with the coming war, he was clerk every year until 1779 - a period of fifty-two years. And strange as it may seen to us, he was usually moderator of the meetings also. He was usually one of the selectmen, and a member of all important committees. In 1786, when carrying the weight of eighty-six years, he was moderator of the meeting for the last time; and when at the ripe old age of ninety years, he for the last time served on a committee. For sixty-three years his was the most conspicuous name on the Scarbobo records.
Deacon Samuel was very active in matters which led up to the revolutionary war, and was so extremely enthusiastic in the cause of liberty that he recorded the enitre Declaration of Independence in the town clerk's book. At the age of seventy-eight years he was at the head of the committee of correspondence, inspection and safety, and at the age of seventy-nine years he was a member of the convention at Cambridge to form a state government. The date of his death is unknown, but his years probably equalled those of his grandfather Francis, who died at the age of ninety-three. He was buried in the old cemetery aat Scarboro, and a stone marks the spot.
He married, Jan. 17, 1716-17, Anna Hatch, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, daughter of Captain John Hatch. A reason for this early marriage is to be found in the fact that her father died about the time of her birth; and her only brother died in August, 1716, leaving her without a home. No doubt she was welcomed to her new home by the parents of her husband.
Samuel Small Sr. deeded to his son Samuel a portion of the homestead land at Sturgeon Creek, July 9, 1719.
Children, as recorded on Kittery records:
Samuel (see forward); Anna; John; Joshua; and Elizabeth.
Others, b. in Scarboro:
Sarah, Benjamin, James and Mary.
(V) Samuel (3), oldest son of Deacon Samuel (2) and Anna (Hatch) Small, of Scarboro, Maine, was born May 26, 1718, in Kittery, Maine, but went to Scarboro with his parents when about ten years old. Like his father, he was deacon in the Congregational church, and was town clerk. He was chief justice of Cumberland county court of common pleas. In 1773 his father divided the Ossipee lands, giving to him and his brother Joshua three-eights each, and to Benjamin (son of this Samuel) one-twelfth. These three men went up to Limington and took possession of their ancestral acres. After a contest in the courts, the Indian deed was pronounced valid, and their title perfect.
Samuel Small married Feb. 16, 1741-42, Dorothy, daughter of Captain Richard Hubbard, of Kingston, N. H., born June 25, 1723.
Children, b. in Scarboro:
Abigail, Benjamin, Sarah, Samuel, Francis, Martha, Dorothy, James, William (see forward), Anna and Dorothy.
(VI) William, son of Deacon Samuel (3) and Dorothy (Hubbard) Small, was born June 8, 1759, in Scarboro, Maine, and died about 1833, in Limington, Maine. He always resided in Limington, was a manufacturer of shoes, and a most highly respected citizen. His home was one of truest joy and peace; nothing delighted him more than to help his neighbors, and give a cordial gretting to all strangers who came to the town.
William Small married (first) Jan. 7, 1782, Mary March, born Aug. 29, 1761, in Scarboro, Maine, and died Oct. 16, 1794, in Limington, daughter of Lieut. Colonel Samuel March, of Scarboro, a brave soldier of the revolutionary war (and granddaughter of Benjamin March, who married Elizabeth Small, and great-granddaughter of Samuel Small (IV) and Mrs. Elizabeth (Chadbourne).
William Small married (second) Nov. 1, 1795, Sarah March, b. Jan. 22, 1771, in Scarboro, and died May 3, 1849, in Calais, Maine (sister of Mary March).
Children of 1st marriage:
Sarah, Eunice, Mary, Martha, Anna, Samuel, and twins Lucy and Jane.
Children of 2d marriage:
William, James, Issacher, Abner, Eliza, Lavinia, John M. and Harriet N.
William Small was a revolutionary soldier, serving as a private in Captain Benjamin Larrabee's company, under the command of Colonel John Mitchell, in 1775; a private in Captain Roger Libby's company in 1779; also sergeant in Captain John Andrew's company, under Brigadier General Wadsworth in 1780. He made an application for pension July 30, 1832, at which time he was seventy-three years of age, and was allowed for nine months' service.
(VII) Abner, son of William Small and of his second wife, Sarah March, was born in Limington, Maine, Oct. 27, 1802, and died Nov. 17, 1867, in Gardiner, Maine. He was an alert and active business man - a man of truly patriotic spirit, and was one of the most highly esteemed citizens of Gardiner.
He joined Adoniram Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, at Limington, Maine in 1824, and in 1826 became a member of Hermon Lodge, in Gardiner, Maine. He was one of thirty-two members who stood firmly by the lodge during the Morgan excitement. He lived for several years in Mount Vernon, Maine; was made master of Vernon Valley Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, and served as postmaster under two administrations. He was also commissioned a captain in the state militia.
Abner Small married, in 1832, Mary Ann Benard Randall, born in Gardiner, Maine, Oct. 21, 1805, died Feb. 28, 1881, in West Waterville, Maine, daughter of Benjamin Randall and Mary Hill Webber. She was a woman of gentle and refined character, and a devoted member of Christ Church, Gardiner.
1. Hampton Dunreath Plumer, born May 31, 1833; graduate of Waterville College; died Aug. 23, 1862.
2. Abner Randall, born May 1, 1836; see forward.
3. Emilus Norris Dumont, born June 8, 1842; a brave lieutenant in the Second Maine Cavalry in the civil war. He was first mustered into the U. S. service as first sergeant of Company A, Sixteenth Maine Infantry, Aug. 14, 1862, and discharged for disability March 2, 1863. Recovering his health, he was again mustered into the service Dec. 11, 1863, as sergeant major, Second Maine Cavalry, and soon after promoted to second lieutenant of Company M, same regiment.
He married Annie M. Benson, June 28, 1871, in Oakland, Maine. They have one son, Deane Benson Small, born Aprl 8, 1879. He is now district superintendent of the New England Telephone & Telegraph Company, and located in Portland, Maine. He married June 27, 1907, Alice Cornish Bassett, daughter of Hon. Josiah W. Bassett, of Winslow, Maine.
4. Emma Sedgwick, who has been for several years supervisor of drawing in the public schools of Seattle, Washington.
Samuel March, grandfather of Abner Small, was a member of the provisional congress. He was lieutenant-colonel of Colonel Edward Phinney's thirty-first Regiment of Foot, and served at Cambridge until Dec. 31, 1775. He held the same commission under the same colonel in the Eighteenth Continental regiment in 1776, and served through the siege of Boston, marching in August to reinforce the Northern Army at Fort Ticonderoga, serving until Dec. 31, 1776.
(VIII) Major Abner Randall Small, son of Abner and Mary A. B. (Randall) Small, was born May 1, 1836, in Gardiner, Maine. When a boy he changed his middle name to Ralph. He has been a resident of Oakland, Maine, since 1860 - one of the noblest sons of the old Pine Tree State, beloved by all who know him, for his energetic character, sturdy patriotism, strick honesty, warm hospitality, and other fine qualities.
"Major Abner Randall Small was first mustered into the United States volunteer service as a private in Company G, Third Maine Infantry, in June, 1861. He was speedily promoted corporal, then sergeant. In June, 1862, he received further promotion by being commissioned and mustered into the U. S. service as first lieutenant and adjutant, to be assigned, and later was mustered in as adjutant of the Sixteenth Maine Infantry. In Dec., 1862, he was assigned to duty as aide-de-camp on the staff of Colonel Adrian R. Root, commanding the First Brigade, Second Division, First Army Corps. While thus serving he was complimented with a well-deserved special mention for his distinguished gallantry displayed in the battle of Fredericksburg. On July 1, 1863, he was also appointed assistant adjutant general, same brigade. Later on he received special mention in general orders for his brave conduct in the battle of Gettysburg, which has been well described in many paper and histories. He also paritcipated in all the battles in which is regiment was engaged until taken and held prisoner from Aug. 18th, 1864 to Feb. 22, 1865. In the meantime he was commissioned major, Oct., 1864, if the same command. Thus he was with his regiment, the Sixteenth Maine, from the time of its organization until it was musteret out June 5, 1865.
"It is needless to say of Major Small that his record is one of sterling honor. His military skill and ardor, his devotion to the best welfare of his regiment, his lofty and unflagging patriotism, and his conspicuous gallantry, have placed his name on the roll of the most distinguished officers who aided to put down the rebellion." His fine military record is contained in Report of Adjutant General of Maine, vol. i, p. 456, and U. S. Official War Records - Gettysburg, series I, vol. xxvii, p. 293, and Fredericksburg, series I, vol. xxi, pp. 487, 489.
After the civil war, Major Small settled in Oakland, Maine. He was for thirty-three years treasurer of the Somerset Railway Company, and for many years one of its directors; first clerk and treasurer of the Madison Wollen Company since 1892, and accountant of the Dunn Edge Tool Company, since 1868.
Major Small is a charter member of the De Molay Commandery of Knights Templar, also a member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U. S., and of the Maine Society of Sons of the American Revolution.
Major Small married (first) Julia Maria Fairbanks, in 1865. He married (second) Oct. 24, 1888, Medora Frances Clark, who was born Feb. 15, 1850, in Gardiner, Maine, daughter of Nathaniel Clark Jr. and Maria A. G. T. Holbrook. Mrs. Small is an enthusiastic club woman, having been a loyal member of the Maine Federation of Women's Clubs since its organization in 1892. She is a member of Koussinoc Chapter, D.A.R., of Augusta, Maine.
Ralph Hugo Small, born in Oakland, Maine Dec. 27, 1889.
Harold Adams Small, born in Oakland, Maine April 19, 1893.
Mrs. Medora Frances (CLARK) Small is descended from the immigrant Edward Clark (q.v.), through Joseph (II), David (III), Nathaniel (IV) and (V) Ephraim Clark, son of Nathaniel and Abigail (Dennett) Clark, b. May 14, 1756, in Kittery, Maine, and d. Aug. 12, 1847, in Limington, Maine. He married Aug., 1784, Lucy Small, b. Feb. 11, 1763, in Scarborough, Maine; d. June, 1827 in Limington, Maine. She was daughter of Joshua Small and Susanna (Kennard) Small, of Scarborough and Limington, Maine. Their children were: Nathaniel, Samuel, John, Mary, Edward, Ephraim, Lucy, Eliot (died young) Asenath and Eliot.
Ephraim CLARK inherited a spirit of adventure and daring from his Small ancestors, which found full scope in the revolutionary war. His record was a remarkable one. He enlisted Nov. 17, 1776, as seaman on the privateer "Dalton," was captured on her and taken to Plymouth, England, and put in Mill Prison, where he remained till March 15, 1779; when with other prisoners he was taken to Nantes, France, to be exchanged. He enlisted April 5, 1779, for one year's service, on Continental frigate "Alliance," Captain Pierre Landais, in the fleet under Commodore Paul Jones, and was in the fight Sept. 23, 1779, when the "Serapis" and "Countess of Scarbobo," British frigates, were captured. He was taken prisoner Oct. 9, 1779, and taken to Fortune prison, Portsmouth, England. He escaped and went to Cherbourg, France, May 3, 1780. He was on the cutter "Marquis Marbeck," a privateer under American colors sailing from Dunkirk, France, when she was captured Sept. 9, 1781, by a British vessel, and he was taken again to Mill Prison in England. He was exchanged, and arrived at Marblehead, Mass. Aug. 1782. In 1784 he was living in Kittery, Maine. He settled in Limington, Maine, and owned a farm.
He was pensioned July 4, 1820, and again in 1832. His grandsons spent many happy hours at the old homestead listening to the stories of his hairbreadth escapes and adventures by sea and land. It is related of him that when almost ninety years old he offered to teach one of his grandchidren to dance, saying: "When I was young I gave dancing lessons in France." Two rare old books, written by comrades of Ephraim Clark, contain much of interest about the infamous Old Mill Prison and the prisoners confined in its walls, viz.: "Memoirs of Rev. Andrew Sherburne" and "Diary of Charles Herbert."
(VI) Nathaniel (2), eldest son of Ephrain and Lucy (Small) CLARK, was born in Limington, Maine, Dec. 24, 1785, and died there March 6, 1850.
He married, Oct. 13, 1808, Martha Small, daughter of William Small and his first wife, Mary March. She was born June 15, 1788, in Limington, and died there Jan. 20, 1826.
Ira, Julia A., Charles, Harriet S. and Nathaniel.
Nathaniel CLARK Sr. married (second) Oct. 22, 1826, Mary Gilpatrick (Adams) Small, widow of David Small. Their children were: Lewis, Martha, George A., Julia A., Corndelia and Sarah. He was one of the charter members of Adoniram Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Limington. The lodge erected a monument to his memory in 1850. He was a very genial man, kind and upright, and highly respected in the community. He was a manufacturer of boots and shoes. He was choirister of the Baptist church for many years.
(VII) Nathaniel (3), son of Nathaniel (2) CLARK and his wife Martha (Small) Clark, was born in Limington, Maine, June 10, 1821, and died Oct. 30, 1902, in Oakland, Maine, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. R. Small. He was married in Hallowell, Maine, Aug. 21, 1848, to Maria Ann G. T. Holbrook, born in Topsham, Maine, Jan. 11, 1825, daughter of Captain John and Ruth (Thompson) Holbrook, of Brunswick, Maine. She died in Lynn, Mass. Dec. 9, 1901. Mr. Clark was in the boot and shoe business in Gardiner, Maine, for over twenty years, being a member of the firm of Cox & Clark for several years. He was then in business alone, and was honored for his strict integrity and his blameless life. He was one of the most faithful members of the Baptist church. He went to Wakefield, Mass., in 1871, where he was in the same business several years. After he retired from business he lived in Boston, Malden, Cliftondale, and Lynn, Mass. After the death of his wife he spent the one remaining year of his life with his oldest daughter, Mrs. A. R. Small. Mr. Clark's children were all born in Gardiner, Maine:
Medora Frances, married Major A. R. Small, of Oakland, Maine.
Howard Ripley, who has been connected with some of the leading publishing houses of Boston, Philadelphia and New York.
Harriet Ethel, an accountant in New York City.
Howard R. Clark married Lulu C. Magee, in Germantown, Pennsylvania, Sept. 24, 1889, and has one child, Marie Hildegarde, b. Aug. 15, 1891.
SMALL (continued...go back and pick this up....)
(III) Francis (2), son of Francis (1) Small, was born about 1654, died at Truro, Mass., about 1710. He married Elizabeth _____; children, Francis, Samuel, &c.
(IV) Samuel Small, born about 1690, died 1729; resided at Truro, Mass., and was a man of sturdy and noble qualities. He married, in 1713, Isabel Dyer, who was born at Truro, Mass. in 1695. She was one of the sturdiest of Old Cape Codd (Mass.) families, and was a noble helpmeet for Samuel Small.
Children, b. at Truro:
Samuel, b. 1714.
Taylor, b. 1716.
Francis, b. 1719.
Mary, b. 1721.
Isabel, b. 1724.
Lydia, b. 1727.
Hix, b. 1729.
(V) Taylor Small, born Sept. 15, 1716, at Truro, Mass., died at Great Island (Great Sebascedegan), Harpswell, Maine. He was a man who inherited all the sturdy and noble characteristics of his Small and Dyer ancestors, and his life was a constant round of helpfulness for his family, neighbors and friends. He removed from Truto to Harpswell, Maine, about 1750. He there purchased a fine old farm on a part of which some of his descendants still reside (1908). He cleared away the sturdy forest trees with great energy, raised fine crops on every foot of land that he wrested from the wilderness, and became owner of the finest lot of cattle on that part of the Maine coast. Not satisfied with all the hard work which was involved, he explored the eastern part of Casco Bay, and discovered some of the best "fishing grounds" off Harpswell and Cape Small Point. He was great service in all things pertaining to the welfare of Harpswell, and was one of the most earnest patiots of this town famed far and wide for its patriotism. Two of his sons served in the revolutionary war. Taylor Small dwelt in the midst of one of the finest colonies of people that Massachusetts ever sent to the Maine coast. It comprised such family names as Otis, Raymond, Ridley, Snow, Purrington and Coombs. Among these Taylor Small stodd as a man of the truest type of manhood and Christian zeal. While he had a great affection for his children, he ever helped them when the adventurous spirit of Francis Small was manifest in their words and deeds. All but one of these children moved from Harpswell, Maine, hewing out for themselves fine farms from the forest lands at Bowdoinham, Bowdoin, and other Maine towns.
Taylor Small married, in 1742, at Truro, Mass., Thankful Ridley, who was born at Truro, Mass., Nov. 25, 1726, and who died at Harpswell, Maine, June 12, 1796. She was the daughter of the famous Bishop Ridley, of England. She was a woman of untiring energy, and a most faithful Christian.
Deborah, Thankful, Taylor, Joseph, David, Thomas, Samuel, Ephraim, Lydia, Mark and Hix.
(VI) Joseph, son of Taylor and Thankful (Ridley) Small, was born, as the old records quaintly state, "in the latter end of August, 1748," at Truro, Mass., and died at Bowdoin, Maine, Feb. 13, 1831, aged eighty-three years. He moved to Bowdoin at an early date, and entered most heartily into the pioneer work which was thus involved in his going to a place where wild beasts were many and the settlers were few. Before his death he had become the possessor of a farm that was the pride of people for miles around. He was a man of very honest, upright character, and his descendants are famed for their skillful energy and trustworthiness.
Joseph Small married March 29, 1773, at Great Island, Harpswell, Maine, Jemima, daughter of Joshua Purington.
Joshua, born 1774.
Anna, born 1776.
Taylor, born 1778.
Joshua, born 1780, a noble pioneer settler in Ohio.
Mary, born 1783.
Lois, born 1785.
John, born June 12, 1788.
Hannah, born 1789.
(VII) John, better known as "Honest John," son of Joseph and Jemima (Purington) Small, was born in Bowdoin, Maine, June 21, 1788, and married Nancy Gillespie Dec. 18, 1814.
Joseph Small, born Nov. 29, 1815; died 1815.
James Small, born Aug. 9, 1817, died June 6, 1818.
Nathaniel Small, born July 2, 1819, died May 3, 1892.
Ruth Small, born March 7, 1822, died July 21, 1847.
Martha J. Small, born April 5, 1824.
Mary Small, born Feb. 6, 1827.
Nancy Ann Small, born July 6, 1829, died March 21, 1901.
John Small, born March 9, 1832, died in Nov., 1833.
John Small (2d), born Aug. 12, 1835, died March, 1843.
James W. Small, born Oct. 12, 1837.
Joseph G. Small, born Aug. 11, 1840, died in 1906.
(VIII) Nathaniel, second son and third child of John and Nancy (Gillespie) Small, was born in Bowdoin, Maine, July 2, 1819, and died May 3, 1892, esteemed and respected. He received a common school education in his native town, and learned the trade of ship carpenter. He was a public-spirited citizen, especially interested in education, and served for several years as supervisor of schools. He was active in promoting progress, and was one of the most powerful men in the vicinity of Bowdoin, performing several wonderful feats and exhibiting a wonderful degree of strength.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Caroline (Goodwon) Small. She was born Oct. 9, 1827, and died Feb. 14, 1890.
1. Emily, born Oct. 4, 1849, died March 18, 1850.
2. Margery A., born Dec. 27, 1850, married George Preston, died April 15, 1899.
3. Albert P., born Feb. 26, 1854; married Mary E. Snell; children: i. Ella M. Small, b. July 13, 1877; ii. Hattie T. Small, b. Aug. 4, 1879; iii. Flora B. Small, b. Oct. 27, 1880. A. P. Small became a mill man and dealer in lumber at a young age, and has always been a successful business man.
4. Clarence O., a shoemaker by trade, was b. Aug. 20, 1855; married (first) Contentment Card, by whom he had six children: Willie F. Small, b. Jan. 11, 1879, died Nov. 5, 1900; Clara E. Small, b. Jan. 22, 1881, died Sept. 19, 1882; Fannie E. Small, b. July 3, 1884, Eugene C. Small, b. Nov. 15, 1886; Charles H. Small, b. Oct. 4, 1888; Nellie Small, b. May 10 died May 19, 1890.
5. Clara C., born Sept. 25, 1859; married Clarence A. Carver; children: Henry E. Carver, b. Oct. 9 1882; John S. Carver, b. Feb. 17, 1887.
6. John, born Dec. 8, 1862; married Laura Snell; children: Harry C., b. Feb. 14, 1893; Ethel W., b. Sept. 21, 1894; John Raymond, b. June 20, 1896; Milton H., b. Oct. 30, 1899. John Snell is the owner of the old homestead where he lives, and is the proud possessor of one of the largest farms in the town of Bowdoin, Maine.
7. Nathaniel C., born Jan. 1, 1866; see forward.
8. Robert M., born Aug. 26, 1868; married Caroline Mildram; children: Ruth M., b. April 25, 1899; Robert Clement, b. April 29, 1904. R. M. Small is one of the leading physicians in Maine.
9. Alfred E., born Aug. 6, 1872, died Feb. 16, 1880.
(IX) Nathaniel C., fourth son and seventh child of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Small) Small, was born Jan. 1, 1866, in Bowdoin, Maine, where he grew up and received such education as the public schools of his native town afforded, supplemented by a course in the Bowdoin high school, from which he graduated. He also graduated from the Portland Business College. He was an apt scholar, was well qualified for a bookkeeper, and entered into business life in that capacity in the employ of Gay Woodman & Company. He was subsequently employed by Dingley Foss Company, manufacturers of shoes in Auburn, Maine. This engagement continued until 1894, when he entered into partnership with Ashe & Noyes in the manufacturing of shoes. The concern was incorporated in 1899 as Ashe Noyes & Small Company, Mr. Small having been treasurer since 1900. He is recognized as an able and industrious business man, and is contributing his share to the prosperity of his home town. He is also interested in several other prosperous corporations. He was elected to the board of water commissioners of the city of Auburn, Maine, March, 1903, and is a member of Eureka Lodge, No. 45, Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Small married, July 11, 1900, Katherine, daughter of Samuel P. and Ellen Haskell Merrill.
Ellen E., born April 4, 1903.
Theodore M., born Sept. 16, 1905.
Elizabeth M. (STEWART) Winchester, wife of the late John Winchester, and mother of John Howard Winchester, of Corinna, Maine, is supposed to be a descendant of that family of STEWARDs that consisted of the brothers who came over from Scotland at an early date. The proof of this is lacking, but this branch of the Stewards, or Stewarts, trace to Duncan Steward, of Ipswich, Mass., who settled there in 1658. He joined the church in Rowley, Sept. 26, 1723; his wife Anne joined Sept. 17, 1721. Both Duncan and Anne Steward lived to be nearly one hundred years old; they made their home in Newbury, Mass., where Duncan was a ship-builder; in 1680 they were living in Rowley.
1. Katherine, born in Ipswich, June 8, 1658.
2. Martha, b. April 4, 1658.
3. Charles, b. Nov. 5, 1661.
4. Elizabeth, b. Nov. 2, 1662.
5. James, b. Oct. 8, 1664.
6. John, b. March, 1666.
7. Henry, b. May 1, 1669.
8. Samuel, settled in Wells, Maine.
9. Ebenezer, b. 1676.
All but the eldest child was born in Newbury. Some of the branches of the family spell their name Stewart, others Stuart, but it is positively known that Duncan spelled his Steward.
(II) James, son of Duncan and Anne STEWARD, was born in Newbury, Mass., Octo. 8, 1664, died Sept. 1, 1750. He was a carpenter, and acquired quite a property. He resided at different times in Newbury, Bradford, Boxford and Rowley, Mass. He joined the church in Rowley, Dec. 12, 1698. His second wife joined Oct. 13, 1695. He was twice married, both wives being named Elizabeth. He was the father of eleven children:
1. James, born July 19, 1688.
2. Charles, b. Jan. 16, 1690.
3. Edward, b. Sept. 20, 1693.
4. Abigail, b. Nov. 26, 1695.
5. Solomon, b. July 24, 1696.
All of the above were born in Rowley, of the first marriage.
Children of 2d marriage:
(all born in Rowley with the exception of the youngest, who was born in Boxford.).
6. Benjamin, b. March 3, 1700.
7. David, b. Jan. 9, 1702.
8. Hannah, b. 1703.
9. Elizabeth, b. 1706.
11. Moses, b. July 9, 1712.
(III) Solomon, son of James and Elizabeth (first wife) STEWARD, was born in Rowley, Mass., July 24, 1696, died in Lunenburg, Mass. about 1758. He resided for a time in Bradford, where he kept a store and where he and his wife joined the church, Dec. 31, 1727. Later they moved to Salem precinct (now Peabody, Mass.), and in 1738 to Lunenburg, where Solomon died.
Solomon STEWARD married (intentions published in Andover June 10, 1727) Martha, born 1702, in Andover, Mass., daughter of Edward and Martha (Brown) Harrington.
1. Benjamin, born in Boxford, Jan. 26, 1729.
2. Solomon, b. in Boxford, Jan. 13, 1730.
3. Phineas, b. in Boxford, March 24, 1732.
4. Daniel, b. in Salem, Nov. 24, 1734.
5. William, b. in Salem, March, 1737.
6. Mary, b. in Lunenburg, Sept. 7, 1740.
7. Jacob, b. in Lunenburg, April 22, 1743.
(IV) William, son of Solomon and Martha (Harrington) STEWARD, was born in Salem, Mass. March , 1737. He removed to Bloomfield, Maine, with his two brothers, Solomon and Phineas, about 1776. Later he lived in Canaan, where he was known as Deacon William.
He married Abigail Ireland, July 25, 1758.
1. Abigail, born in Lunenburg, May 19, 1762.
2. William, b. Fitchburg, Jan. 27, 1765.
3. Susanna, b. Fitchburg, Oct. 19, 1766.
4. Jonathan, b. Fitchburg, July 13, 1769.
5. James, b. Fitchburg, Dec. 25, 1773.
(V) Jonathan, son of William and Abigail (Ireland) STEWARD, was born in Fitchburg, Mass., July 13, 1769, died in Bloomfield, Maine, July 31, 1848. He was a farmer of Bloomfield, and a Baptist minister. He married (first) Hannah Jewett.
Esther and Hannah.
He married (second) Mrs. Lucy Bates.
David, James, Lucy, Naomi, Stephen, Ruth.
All the above-named children were born in Bloomfield, Maine.
(VI) David, son of Jonathan and Lucy (Bates) STEWART, was born in Bloomfield, Maine. He was fairly well educated, and in addition to farming was a Baptist minister, possessing more than ordinary ability as a preacher. He was a man of broad mind, and was chosen to serve his town for several years as school committeeman and also as selectman. He was an earnest temperance worker and always first in every movement along that line. He organized debating clubs for men and boys, and in fact was always interested and foremost in any movement tending to improve the morals and enlarg the minds of young people. He and his wife were school teachers in their younger days, and were always deeply interested in the education of the youth of their vicinity. Although a man of moderate means, he gave his children a liberal education.
He married, Dec. 19, 1822, Eliza Merrick of Pittsfield, Maine. They settled in Corinna, Maine, where their children were born. Eliza (Merrick) Stewart died in Corinna, March 29, 1873. David Stewart married a second time. He died in Corinna, April 6, 1884.
1. David Dinsmore, born Oct. 22, 1823; studied law, and is considered one of the ablest lawyers in the state; he married Ariminta Merrick, and resides in St. Albans.
2. Elizabeth Merrick, born Jan. 7, 1825, married, May 14, 1844, John Winchester.
3. Levi Merrick, born Dec. 10, 1827, mentioned below.
4. Charles Miller, born April 24, 1829, was educated in the academy at Corinna and at Corinth, and was prepared to enter college, but having an opportunity to go to Australia with some friends at a good salary, he accepted; the climate, however, was too unhealthy for his constitution and he died after a four months' residence. He possessed more than ordinary natural ability and every prospect was bright for his future. He and his descendants have used the STEWART form of the family name.
(VII) Levi Merrick, son of David and Eliza (Merrick) Stewart, was born in Corinna, Maine, Dec. 10, 1827. He was graduated from Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and later from Harvard Law School. in 1856, through the influence of a former resident of Corinna, Dr. Jacob Elliot, of Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was persuaded to go to that city. There he engagved in the practice of law very successfully. In connection with his law business he engaged in land speculation, purchasing large tracts, which with the rapid growth of that wonderful city soon became very valuable. In 1895 he began the erection of a town hall and public library building in Corinna, which was completed at a cost of seventy-two thousand dollars, and was presented to the town in memory of the first settlers there, among whom were his own parents. The building was dedicated and presented to the town Sept. 1, 1898, and is known as the Stewart Library Building. The site is an ideal one, on an eminence in the center of the town. The building, which is one any city might be proud of, is two stories high, of brick and stone, with tower equpped with clock and bell to strike the hours. The first floor, finished in fine oak, comprises library, reading rooms and offices, and the second floor is a hall with seating capacity for seven hundred people. The library, also the gift of Mr. Stewart, contains 4,800 choice volumes. He also presented the city of Minneapolis with the lot which their Public Library stands on, and gave largely to deserving institutions in a very quiet way. Among his intimate friends Mr. Stewart is known as "Elder Steward."
He has no religious prefernces and is not a member of any societies and clubs.