Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
No Richardson is found on these shores earlier than 1630, but in that year Ezekiel Richarson came from England, probably from Norfolk county, in the fleet with Winthrop. The records show that five men named Richardson left England for Virginia in 1635. Some of these may have settled in New England later, but there is no further information of them obtainable. The record of the families composing the descendants of Ezekiel, Samuel and Thomas Richardson develop to us the fact that energy, uprightness, patriotism and a strong military spirit have been prominent features in the character of the members of these lines. More than five hundred Richardsons, with some variation in the spelling of the name, were in the revolution from Massachusetts and the province of Maine. The later record of the race, both in war and peace, has been equally creditable.
(I) Thomas Richardson, the youngest of the three brothers, Ezekiel, Samuel and Thomas, came with his brother Samuel in 1636 to Charlestown, Mass. The first mention of either of these brothers is dated Feb. 21, 1636, when Mary, wife of Thomas, united with the church in Charlestown. Samuel and Thomas Richardson joined the same church the 18th of the 12th month (February), 1638 (N.S.); in consequence of which they were admitted freemen of the colony, May 2, 1638. Their names are found on the records of Charlestown for the first time in 1637, when to each of them was granted a house-lot, clearly indicating that they had recently become citizens of the place. The same year their names are to be found on the records as citizens of Charlestown. April 20, 1638, Thomas Richardson with his brothers had a lot assigned him on "Misticke Side and above the Ponds," that is, in Malden.
Thomas Richardson, his two brothers, and four other men united in the settlement of Woburn, and the formation of a church there in 1641, and the three brothers lived near each other on the same street which, from its having been their residence that of many of their posterity, has been known from time whereunto the memory of man runneth not to the contrary as "Richardson's Row."
Thomas Richardson died in Woburn, Aug. 28, 1651. There is no record of any will. The inventory of his estate, dated Sept. 22, 1651, shows that he died possessed of a dwelling house, a barn, and one hundred acres of land, situated in the town of Woburn, of which twenty-five acres were plowed land and ten meadow, and that the real estate was valued at eighty pounds. The inventory of his goods amounted to 138 pounds 3s. 4d.; and his estate was indebted to the sum of 10 pounds, 10s.
The name of the wife of Thomas Richardson was Mary. She married (second) Oct. 26, 1655, Michael Bacon, becoming his second wife. She died May 19, 1670.
Children, all but first 2 b. in Woburn:
Mary, Sarah, Isaac, Thomas, Ruth, Phebe and Nathaniel.
(II) Nathaniel, youngest child and third son of Thomas and Mary Richardson, born in Woburn, Mass. Jan. 2, 1651, died intestate Dec. 4, 1714, aged sixty-four. Woburn was always the place of his residence, and there he was made a freeman in 1690. He was a soldier in King Phillip's war, and was one of the eight Woburn men wounded in that tremendous encounter known as the "Great Swamp Fight," which occurred Dec. 19, 1675, in which eighty white men were killed or mortally wounded, and seven hundred Indians warriors were killed, three hundred more afterward dying from wounds or from cold.
His wife's name was Mary. She died Dec. 22, 1719.
Children, b. in Woburn:
Nathaniel, James, Mary, Joshua, Martha, John, Thomas, Hannah, Samuel, Phinehas, Phebe, Amos and Benjamin.
(III) Captain James, second son of Nathaneil and Mary Richardson, was born in Woburn, Mass., Feb. 26, 1676. He lived in that part of Woburn which is now the town of Winchester, and was a man of good habits and considerable property. He inherited the military spirit of his father, and was employed in warfare with the Indians of Maine. He died in Woburn, March 23, 1722.
He married (first) Rebecca Eaton, who died the following year, 1699. Married (second) Dec. 22, 1699, Elizabeth Arnold, of Reading, who died Nov. 3, 1744.
Child of 1st wife:
Children of 2d wife:
James (died young), James, Josiah, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Catherine (died young), Catherine, Nathaniel and Mary.
(IV) James (2), second son of Capt. James (1) and Elizabeth (Arnold) Richardson, was born in Woburn, March 14, 1704. After living in Woburn some years he removed with his family, about 1735, into the northwest part of Lancaster, which became Leominster by incorporation in 1740. There he began a farm on a piece of new land which he cleared himself. He was surveyor of highways in 1745. According to the best obtainable information he died in 1748. According to another account he fell backward down some cellar stairs, in 1761, and broke his neck.
He married, Sept. 24, 1728, Sarah Fowle, born in Woburn, July 29, 1703, daughter of Capt. James and Mary (Richardson) Fowle.
Children, 1st 3 b. Woburn; others in Leominster:
James, William, Sarah, Luke, Esther, John, Josiah and Joseph.
(V) John, third child and second son of James (2) and Sarah (Fowle) Richardson, born in Leominster, July 18, 1741, died there Feb. 13, 1814, in his seventy-third year. After his marriage he settled in Petersham, but moved back to Leominster before 1771, and passed the remainder of his life there. He was a yeoman, a capable man, and like his brothers much occupied with town affairs. He was surveyor of highways, 1777; selectman every year from 1778 to 1789, inclusive, except 1780 and 1781, or ten years in all, and town clerk from 1782 to 1791, both inclusive, ten years.
He married, Dec. 12, 1765, Eunice, born Nov. 19, 1743, daughter of Peter and Abigail Green. She died in Leominster, March 2, 1831, aged eighty-seven years.
Children, 1st 3 b. Peterham, the others Leominster:
Eunice, Abigail, Francis, John, Green (died young), Susanna, Mary, Martha, Betsey, Green and William.
(VI) John (2), fourth child and second son of John (1) and Eunice (Green) Richardson, born in Leominster, Mass., Nov. 22, 1771, died in Bath, Maine, Aug. 2, 1855, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He left Leominster a young unmarried man, and went first to Berwick and afterward to Topsham, and finally to Bath, Maine. He was a merchant in Topsham. Jan. 7, 1801, John Richardson, of Topsham, merchant, bought of Jsoeph West, of Bath, and wife Ann, land and buildings in Bath, as appears in the Lincoln deed record. This probably indicates the date of his removal from Topsham to Bath. In 1803 he bought of William Howard, of Augusta, land in Bath. March 2, 1813, John Richardson, of Bath, merchant, is appointed administrator of the estate of James Rowe, of Bath.
He married, in Topsham, May, 1748, Sarah, of Lisbon, Maine, daughter of Reuben and Hannah (Carr) Tibbets. Hannah (Carr) Tibbets, the mother, was born Dec. 9, 1754, daughter of Dr. Moses Carr, of Somersworth, New Hampshire.
Evelina, John Green, Orville, William Carr, Charles, Augustus, Sarah and Betsey C.
(VII) Captain Charles, fifth child and fourth son of John (2) and Sarah (Tibbets) Richardson, born in Bath, Maine, Feb. 17, 1807, died of paralysis in Portland, Maine, Feb. 9, 1875, aged sixty-eight. He followed the sea many years, and became a successful ship-master. He retired from that occupation and became a member of the well-known firm of Lyman & Richardson, ship chandlers, of Portland, Maine. Several years before his death he retired from active business, and passed the remainder of his life in pleasant diversions. He was energetic, thoroughly reliable in business, and genial and kind in his disposition.
He married, in Portland, Aug. 25, 1840, Mary H., born June 22, 1815, daughter of Thomas and Lucy (Staniford) Warren; he was of Portland, and she of Ipswich. She died in Portland, Maine, July 18, 1882, aged sixty-seven years.
Charles Warren, Mary Leontine, Georgiana, Frank Orville, George Henry and Cassius Darling.
(VIII) George Henry, fifth child and third son of Capt. Charles and Mary H. (Warren) Richardson, was born in Portland, Feb. 3, 1851. He was educated in the public schools of Portland, which he left at sixteen years of age (1867), and entered the employ of Henry P. Wood, banker and broker. A short time afterward he went to Philadelphia and spent a year in the office of Warren & Gregg, ship brokers, and then returned to Portland. From 1871 to 1878 he was with J. B. Brown & Sons, bankers, and then changed to the employ of Swan & Barratt, private bankers, and shortly afterward became a member of the firm, it being the largest private banking institution in the state. In 1903, at which time he was the senior partner, the firm was merged into the Portland Trust Company, of which he was elected treasurer, serving in that responsible capacity from then to the present time (1908). Mr. Richardson's business career has been noted for integrity, far-sightedness and shrewdness, characteristics which insure success in whatever profession or vocation a man may engage in. He steadily progressed from year to year, advancing from a subordinate position in a counting room to one of the most responsible positions in one of the leading financial institutions, and during his many years of faithful service discharged every duty that devolved upon him in a highly creditable and conscientious manner. With him good works have proved the key to success.
In politics he holds aloof from any hard and fast party lines, and reserves to himself the privilege of voting for the principles and men that most deserve his support. He is a member of the Congregational church. He is fond of home, and belongs to but one club, the Cumberland.
He married, Oct. 9, 1873, Emeline P., born in Portland, Maine, April 24, 1850, daughter of the Rev. Eaton and Mary (Roberts) Shaw, of Portland.
Mary W. and Maud S., born July 26, 1874, both of whom died young.
Lawrence S., born June 28, 1881, died Dec. 31, 1883.
Marian Pauline, born May 3, 1894.
The great part of the members of this family in New England are descended from three brothers who were among the original settlers of Woburn, Mass. They were men of substance and influence, and their descendants are very numerous, many of whom have taken leading places in the direction of business and public events in their different days and generations.
(I) Samuel Richardson, the second of the three brothers of that name who united in the settlement of Woburn, was born in England, not far from the year 1610. We do not know in what year he came to this country, possibly with his brother Ezekiel, in 1630, though this is not at all probable. The first notice we find of Samuel is dated July 1, 1636, when he and his brother Thomas, with others, were on a committee to lay out lots of land for hay. In 1637 the names of Samuel and Thomas Richardson first appear in a list of the inhabitants of Charlestown. The same year the town of Charlestown granted to each of them a house-lot, clearly understanding that they had recently become residents of the place.
The two brothers were admitted members of the church there Feb. 18, 1638, in consequence of which they were made freemen of the colony May 2, 1638. Samuel was chosen surveyor of highways March 17, 1637. The three brothers had lots assigned them April 20, 1638, on "Misticke side and above the Ponds," that is, in Malden. When the church was constituted in Woburn, Aug. 14, 1642, old syle, Samuel Richardson and his two brotheres, with four others, solemnly stood forth as the nucleus around which the church was to be gathered. The three brothers lived near each other, on the same street, which has ever since been known as "Richardson's Row," in what is now Winchester, near the present line of Woburn. Samuel Richardson was selectman of Woburn in 1644-45-46-49-50-51. In 1645 he paid the highest tax of any man in Woburn. He died March 23, 1658.
He married Joanna _____, who probably died soon after her husband.
Mary and John, born in Charlestown.
Hannah, Joseph, Samuel, Stephen, Thomas and Elizabeth, born in Woburn.
(II) Samuel (2), third son of Samuel (1) and Joanna Richardson, was born at Woburn, Mass., May 22, 1646, died April 29, 1712. He lived less thatn a mile north of the present village of Wincesther, and suffered great hardships at the hands of the Indians. He was a soldier in King Philip's war in 1675, and the next year lost his wife and two children when the savages fell upon Woburn. On the afternoon of April 10, 1676, Samuel Richardson, accompanied by his little son Samuel, was employed in carting manure into his field. Hearing the screams of his wife, and seeing feathers flying about the hosue, he hurried home with his gun, and there found that an awful massacre had taken place. His wife, who was in bed with a week-old infant, had been slain, and also his son Thomas, twin brother to Samuel, who was with the father in the field. The body of the baby was not with the mother, but it was afterwards found where the nurse had dropped it when she fled for safety to the garrison house. So closely was she pursued by the Indians that it was impossible to save the child, and the savages dashed out its brains. Mr. Richardson rallied his neighbors, and after a long pursuit they came up with three Indians sitting upon a rock. One of these was killed, but the rest escaped.
During King Philip's war, which lasted from June, 1675 to Aug., 1676, the whole country was in a state of fear and alarm. No man was safe in his own dwelling. The Indians lurked about in small parties, often in bands of only two or three, and crept upon people unawares. Twelve or thirteen towns in Massachusetts, Plymouth Colony and Rhode Island were utterly destroyed, and the inhabitants slaughtered or driven away.
Samuel Richardson married (first) Martha ____, who died Dec. 20, 1673, the day that her fourth child was born. On Sept. 20, 1674, he married (second) Hannah Kingsley, possibly the daughter of Samuel Kingsley, of Billerica. She was slain, with her only child, scarcely a week old, by the Indians April 10, 1676. On Nov. 7 of that year he married (third) Phebe, daughter of Deacon Henry and Phebe (Richardson) Baldwin, of Woburn, who was born Sept. 7, 1654. She died at the age of twenty-five, Oct. 20, 1679, leaving one child. He married (fourth) Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Hayward, of Malden. She was born in 1655, was married Sept. 8, 1680, and survived her husband, dying Oct. 14, 1717, at the age of sixty-two.
Children of 1st wife:
1. & 2. Samuel and Thomas (twins), born Nov. 5, 1670.
3. Elizabeth, born about 1672, married Jacob Wyman.
4. Martha, born Dec. 20, 1673, died Nov. 9, 1677.
Child of 2d wife:
Hannah, born early in April, 1676, and slain with its mother on the tenth of that month.
Child of 3d wife:
Zachariah, b. Nov. 21, 1677, married Mehitable Perrin.
Children of 4th wife:
1. Thomas, born Aug. 18, 1681, died Sept. 9 of that year.
2. Sarah, born Aug. 20, 1682.
3. Thomas, born Sept. 25, 1684, married Rebecca Wyman.
4. Ebenezer, born March 15, 1686-87.
5. Infant son, born & died Aug. 17, 1689.
6. Hannah, born Aug. 11, 1690, married ____ Pratt.
7. Eleazar, born Feb. 10, 1692-93.
8. Jonathan, born July 16, 1696, married Abigail Wyman.
9. David, see below.
(III) David, youngest child of Samuel (2) and his fourth wife, Sarah (Hayward) Richardson, was born at Woburn, Mass., April 14, 1700, and died at Newton in 1770. He was a blacksmith by occupation. He was married thrice, and, like his father, he had fifteen children, but they were all by the first and second marriages.
He married, May 21, 1724, Esther, daughter of David Ward, of Newton. She died in childbirth, Feb. 26, 1725-26.
Children of 1st wife:
Esther, b. in 1725, married Elisha Fuller.
He married (second) Remember, daughter of Jonathan Ward, and a cousin of his first wife.
1. Jonathan, born July 1, 1727, married Mary Woodward.
2. Lydia, born about 1730, married Abijah Fuller.
3. David, born Feb. 24, 1732, married Mary Hall, (second) Hannah Mills.
4. Samuel, born April 25, 1734, married Sarah Parker, (second) Sarah Holland.
5. Jeremiah, born March 13, 1736, married Dorcas Hall.
6. Moses, born May 17, 1738, married Lydia Hall.
7. Aaron, born Oct. 2, 1740, married Ruth Stingley.
8. Abigail, born May 16, 1743, married Aaron Fiske.
9. Ebenezer, born June 14, 1745, married Esther Hall.
10. Elizabeth, born Sept. 15, 1748, married Daniel Richards.
11. Thaddeus, see below.
12. Sarah, born Aug. 25, 1755.
13. Mary, born March 23, 1757.
(IV) Thaddeus, youngest son of David and Remember (Ward) Richardson, was born at Newton, Mass., May 29, 1750, and died at Readfield, Maine, April 6, 1819. Like his father, he was a blacksmith, and he was the first of his line to move from Massachusetts to Maine. About 1776 he moved to Pearsontown, now Standish, in Cumberland county; thence he went to Limington; and in 1800 he was again in Standish. He finally settled in Readfield, where he died at the age of sixty-nine years. His name appears on deeds in connection with various sales of land, and in these documents he is sometimes described as blacksmith, sometimes as yeoman, and once as gentleman.
While living at Limington he gave to the parish the land on which the Congregational meeting-house now stands. This was near his own dwelling. About 1777 Thaddeus Richardson married Mary Sanborn, born in 1754, probably at Limington or Standish, Maine.
1. An infant who died unnamed.
2. Thaddeus (2), whose sketch follows.
3. Daniel, born Oct. 22, 1781, downed 1806, in Twelve Mile Pond, Unity, Maine.
4. Ebenezer, born Nov. 6, 1784, married Relief Eaton.
5. Asa, born Nov. 11, 1787, married Sarah Cottle, of Augusta.
6. Mary, born Aug. 9, 1790.
7. Stephen, born July 15, 1792, died unmarried on the homestead in 1847.
8. Jane, born Feb. 14, 1795, married Jesse Eaton Jacobs.
9. Joseph, said to be a Congregational minister.
(V) Thaddeus (2), eldest son of Thaddeus (1) and Mary (Sanborn) Richardson, was born at Limington, Maine, Oct. 7, 1779, and died at Presque Isle, Maine, some time after 1832. He was a farmer by occupation, and lived in Unity for three or four years after his marriage, then in Readfield for a short time, and after 1810 at Phillips, Maine, where most of his children were born.
On Dec. 25, 1805, Thaddeus (2) Richarson married Sarah Blethen.
1. Thaddeus, born 1806, at Unity, died young.
2. Mary Jane, born Sept. 20, 1807, at Unity, married Jacob J. Barker.
3. Eliza Ann, born Feb. 13, 1810, at Readfield, married Gilman Hawes.
4. Increase, born May 8, 1812, at Phillips, married Mary Coburn.
5. Susan Pratt, born Dec. 2, 1814, at Phillips, married Daniel Houghton, of Weld.
6. Stephen, born about 1816 at Phillips, died young.
7. Ebenezer, born April 6 1817, at Phillips, married Sarah Bass, (second) Elvira Eveleth.
8. Phebe Cotton, born Jan. 4, 1820, at Phillips, married Stillman Gordon.
9. Hubbard Chandler, born May 11, 1822, at Phillips, died unmarried at Boylston, Mass., Feb. 19, 1845.
10. Theodore Muzzey, whose sketch follows.
11. Ann Johnson, born March 18, 1826, at Phillips, married Thomas Hoyt, of Fort Fairfield.
12. Jophanas Henderson, born May 22, 1832, at Phillips, married Sarah Sweetser, of North Yarmouth.
(VI) Theodore Muzzey, sixth son of Thaddeus (2) and Sarah (Blethan) Richardson, was born at Phillips, Maine, April 17, 1824, and died at Presque Isle, April 10, 1907. He was a farmer and dealer in cattle, and being of a speculative turn of mind, traded more or less in other commodities. He lived for a time at Weld, Maine, removing in 1860 to what was then Maysville, but is now a part of Presque Isle. He continued his buying and selling till 1885, when he discontinued outside business, and devoted himself for the remaineder of is life to farming.
Mr. Richardson was much in public affairs, and served as first selectman several terms and as a memb4r of the school committee. He was a Republican in politics, and was electred to the state legislature in 1872-73. He was a man of upright character, and belonged to the Free Baptist church.
About 1849 Theodore Muzzey Richardson married Elizabeth A., daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Gove) White. She died Sept. 30, 1851, leaving one child, Charles Henry, whose sketch follows. Mr. Richardson married (second) Emeline O. Cram, of East Livermore, Maine. No children.
(VII) Charles Henry, only son of Theodore Muzzey and Elizabeth A. (White) Richardson, was born at Weld, Maine, Oct. 27, 1850. When a boy of ten he moved with his father to Presque Isle, where he attended the town schools and also the high school. He assisted his father in carrying on the home farm till 1896, and since then he has operated a large farm of his own. In 1896 Mr. Richardson was chosen third selectman, which office he held until 1903, when he was made chairman of the board, a position he has filled ever since.
He is a Repulbican in politics, and was elected road commissioner in 1892. He is a deacon of the Free Baptist church, of Presque Isle, and a member of Mystic Tie Lodge, No. 141, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He married, on Dec. 16, 1872, Edwina L., daughter of John and Mary (Johnson) O'Brien, of Presque Isle, Maine.
1. Mary Elizabeth, born May 6, 1874, married Arthur E. Hoyt, of Presque Isle.
2. Amy G., born Jan. 12, 1876, married E. C. Sweetser, of Presque Isle.