Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


In the Anglo-Saxon, Danish, Dutch and German languages the word "Rand" signifies a margin, edge or border. It first appears as a latronymic in England early in the fourteenth century. One of the ancient family seats was Rand's Grange, Yorkshire, and the name is also to be found in the records of Kent, Durham, Essex, Suffolk, Hants, Norfolk, Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire and Worcestershire. Burke's Encyclopedia of Heraldry cites no less than ten coats-of-arms belonging to the various branches of the family.
The earliest emigrant to New England was James Rand, who arrived in the ship "Ann" at Plymouth in 1623.
Francis Rand was an early N. H. colonist sent over by Capt. John Mason, and he settled in that part of Portsmouth which is now Rye.
Robert Rand, his wife Alice, and several children, arrived in Boston in 1635 and settled in Charlestown.
Descendants of these immigrants became distributed through New England.

(I) William Rand, a descendant of one of the immigrants just referred to, was born in New Hampshire, presumably in Canaan, about the year 1796. Subsequent to 1840 he came to Maine, settling first in St. Albans and later removing to Ripley, where he died a nonogenarian about 1893. He was an industrious farmer, and an upright, conscientious citizen who opposed slavery and joined the Republican party at its formation in order to support with his vote the cause of abolition. In his earlier years he was a Whig. His zeal in religious matters was as marked and untiring as was his advocacy of equal rights, and he was a leading member of the Christian church.
He married Elizabeth ____.
George H., John, Isaac, Ann, Harriet, Elizabeth and Sarah.

(II) George H., son of William and Elizabeth Rand, was born in Canaan, 1838. He was reared upon a farm in St. Albans, whither his parents settled during his early childhood, and he resided at home until attaining his majority. At the breaking out of the civil war he entered the government service and for a time was engaged in conveying supplies to the army, but was finally appointed a quarter-master. While serving in the last-name capacity he was captured by Moseley's Guerillas, who sent him to Andersonville, Georgia, and he was subsequently confined in Libby prison, from which latter he was transferred to Florence. He was finally paroled and upon his return to Maine engaged in general farming at Ripley. For a number of years he was prominently identified with local political affairs, serving as a selectman and as a member of the Republican town committee, but his pronounced views relative to restricting the sale of intoxicating liquors naturally caused him to unite with the Prohibition party at its formation, and he became one of its most staunch supporters. Like his father he was a member of the Christian church and deeply interested in religious work.
He married Fidelia C., daughter if Samuel and Mary (Emery) Stone, residents of Ripley and formerly of Keene, N. H.
Mary, Nellie, Annie and George H.

(III) George H. (2), only son of George H. (1) and Fidelia C. (Stone) Rand, was born in Ripley, Oct. 5, 1876. His early education was acquired in the common schools of his native town and at the Dexter (Maine) high school. His professional studies were completed in the medical department of Boston University, Boston, Mass., from which he was graduated in 1900, and he obtained the funds for his college expenses by teaching school and canvassing. While a student at Boston he served as an interne at the mission dispensary. He first located in Sanford, Maine, but not being favorably impressed with the professional outlook in that section he removed to Livermore Falls a year later and has ever since practiced medicine in that town and its immediate environments, meeting with gratifying success.
In addition to the various professional bodies with which he is connected he affiliates with the Oriental Star Lodge, F. and A.M., Washburn Chapter, R.A.M. and Pilgrim Commandery, K.T., the Improved Order of Red Men, the Independent Order of Good Templars and the Patrons of Hubandry. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a Republican in politics.
On Sept. 26, 1906, Dr. Rand married Grace H., daughter of Joseph G. and Emma (Chandler) Ham.
George H., born Oct. 16, 1907.

Blind Counter