Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The family name appears in Maine history as early as 1765, when members of the family settled in Winthrop, having removed from Massachusetts.
(I) Thomas Stanley Pullen, was born in the year 1802 and died in 1865. He resided for some time in Monson, where he was engaged in trade, from whence he removed to Guilford, where he had a fine farm and remained until 1845, when he removed to Dover, the shire town of Piscataquis county. There he filled the offices of sheriff, state senator and judge of probate, which latter position he held at the time of his death. In 1864 he removed to Foxcroft. He was a leading man of his day, possessing wealth and influence, was of high standing in his town and his advice and counsel were sought by his fellow townsmen.
He was a Whig, Abolitionist and Republican in politics.
He married Harriet, born in 1814, daughter of Isaac H. and Phebe (Cummings) Bailey, of Yarmouth, and a descendant of Priscilla (Mullens) Alden, wife of John Alden, a "Mayflower" Pilgrim, through Sarah (Alden) Bass, (2) Sarah (Bass) Thayer, (3) Peter Thayer, (4) Phebe (Thayer) Cummings, (5) Phebe (Cummings) Bailey.
1. Harriet L., married Hiram C. Vaughan, a surgeon in the U. S. navy.
2. Stanley T., see forward.
3. Emma Charlotte, widow of Charles H. Dennett, of Bangor, Maine.
4. Clarence Edgar, a civil engineer of note, at one time filled the office of surveyor-general of New Mexico.
5. Fred Herbert, served in the U. S. navy in the Spanish war, and died on board the "Resolute" while in service.
(II) Stanley Thomas, second child and eldest son of Thomas Stanley and Harriet (Bailey) Pullen, was born in Guilford, Aug. 6, 1843. When he was two years of age his parents moved to Dover and there he was reared, receiving his education in the public schools of Dover, Foxcroft Academy, and Colby University, graduating from the latter in 1864. In the following autumn he became principal of the Foxcroft Academy, serving in that capacity one year. At the expiration of that time his father died, and he relinquished his position to assume the management of his father's estate.
Later he began the study of law in the office of Augustus G. Lebroke, of Foxcroft, pursuing the same two years, and was admitted to the bar in 1866. He practiced his profession in Foxcroft until 1869, when he removed to Portland and became law partner of Hon. Percival Bonney, this connection continuing up to 1872. Mr. Pullen then purchased the Portland Press, of which he was chief owner and editor for about eleven years. This was the leading paper in the state of Maine, having a daily and weekly edition, always a foremost factor in state politics, as well as a power for good along other lines.
In 1886 he formed a partnership with Frank C. Crocker, and became a member of the New York Stock Exchange, conducting business under the name of Pullen, Crocker & Company, continuing the same until 1894, when Mr. Pullen settled permanently in Portland. In 1896 he had arranged to form a partnership in the stock exchange business with Edmund C. Stedman, the banker poet, a long-time close friend. A few days before he was to go to New York to assume the new position, a malady of the eyes developed, resulting in a serious impairment of vision, so that he was unable to fulfill the engagement with Mr. Stedman.
Mr. Pullen is a Republican in politics, and has taken some part in public affairs. He was a representative in the Maine legislature for one term, 1874-85, but refused a second nomination on the ground that holding public office while in office interfered with the editorial independence. While in the house he was an active worker and speaker, and was a member of the Judiciary committee. He was appointed surveyor of customs in Portland, Maine, 1878, retiring in 1880, and while serving in that capacity established the rule of counting passengers on excursion boats in order to ascertain that these were not overloaded. He has always taken a keen interest in educational matters, serving for a number of years as a school committeeman of Portland and for twenty years was a trustee of the state normal schools. He had charge of the building of the normal schools at Gorham, and at various times has visited the other normal schools in the state, located at Castine and Farmington, in which institutions he is especially interested. He was a delegate to a number of national conventions at Chicago and Cincinnati.
He is an attendant of the First Parish Church (Unitarian), and for eleven years was superintendent of the Preble Chapel Sunday school, a mission institution. Although not a member of any church, he is interested in religious and benevolent work.
Mr. Pullen possesses a highly sympathetic nature, is a lover of animals, and has always been a believer in the inculcation of the principles of justice in all things. In 1872 he joined the Portland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which was incorporated under the general laws of Maine by a petition from Benjamin Kingsbury Jr., and other citizens of Portland. The first president of the society was Woodbury S. Dana; Henry Bergh, of New York, headed the list of vice-presidents; and the officers were Stanley T. Pullen, recording secretary; Joseph W. Symonds, treasurer; William L. Fitch, agent. At a regular meeting, May 22, 1872, the society was organized and a code of by-laws adopted. The succession of presidents of the society has been as follows: Woodbury S. Dana, 1872; Nathan Cleaves, 1876; Charles McLaughlin, 1879; M. G. Palmer, 1886; Nathan Cleaves, 1889; Stanley T. Pullen, 1891, the present incumbent of the office. The society appreciating in the development of its work the need of authority which should extend throughout the state, in order to protect animals from maltreatment and neglect, decided in May, 1891, to unite with the State Society, with headquarters at Portland; holding itself in readiness to extend its aid, sending its agents to any part of Maine, as may be necessary, and having local officers appointed in different parts of the state. In the brief time since this union of two societies took place the great usefulness of this fusion has been proved. The following abstract of work for the year ending Jan. 1, 1907, is compliled from agents throughout the state: 517 cases investigated; 704 animals not properly care for; 138 unfit for work; 14 abandoned; 138 destroyed; 38 beaten or whipped; 30 overdriven; 27 overloaded; 66 driven galled or lame; 77 not blanketed; 15 over checked; 23 cases prosecuted; 21 convicted.
In this showing, President Pullen remarks: "The number of cases during that year was considerably less than in the year preceding, while the number in 1905 was less than in 1904, and this in view of the fact that there has been an increase in the list of agents, with no diminution of vigilance and activity. Up to the time of the organization as a state society, in 1891, the society had very little to do with the question of the island sheep, because the few that were kept on the islands of Casco Bay were usually under observation of their owners, who at the approach of cold weather removed the animals to their home farms. When the field work was extended beyond Portland and its immediately vicinity, the society began to receive complaints that the sheep on islands eastward, among these Monhegan, were suffered for food, care and protection from the weather. The agent entered immediately upon an investigation of the matter, visited Monhegan, examined the locality and the condition of the sheep, made inquiries of the residents and ascertained that the complaints were well founded. He then had interviews with the owners, who agreed to furnish proper shelter and food for the sheep. This agreement was not satisfactorily carried out; and in the summer of 1896 other complaints were made to the society, and while the owners did not attempt to make a defense of their conduct before the court, when the opportunity was offered them, a communication afterward appeared in print, apparently inspired by them, in the nature of an apology. The result of the Monhegan case settled the matter in general for the islands to the west of Penobscot Bay. To the eastward of Penobscot Bay, however, a long contest awaited the society: Between the Penobscot river and New Brunswick lie many islands, at that time generally occupied by sheep. The sheep owners were numerous and well organized, and contested every step of the society both in and out of court. The good work finally accomplished by the society can be seen from the following, which is taken from President Pullen's address of 1907:
"In regard to our old problem of the care and protection of the sheep on the islands of the Maine coast, I have in general only good things to say. The organized opposition of sheep owners has practically ceased and the leaders of the resistance have declared their purpose of complying with our requests and obeying the laws of Maine as to the provision of shelter and food for the unfortunate animals which have attracted so much interest and sympathy, not only in our own state, but throughout the country. In fact, one of the most persistent and defiant opponents of our efforts has assured our agent that his controversy with us is ended, and that he has come to believe that our work has been not only for the good of the sheep, but also for the good of the sheep owners, and that we have henceforth only to announce what we want and that he and his associates will cordially accede to our propositions. He further said that they have become satisfied that our prosecutions were not persecutions, and that he is heartily in accord with us."
Mr. Pullen is a member of the Masonic Order, holding membership in the lodge and Royal Arch Chapter, of Foxcroft. He is also a member of the following named clubs: The Cumberland, in Portland, and the University and Players, in New York. Previous to the trouble with his eyes, Mr. Pullen took a keen interest in his club membership. He has traveled extensively, and enjoys a wide acquaintance with men of note. He was of the party with President Grant on his cruise on the Maine coast, during the administration of President Grant, and was the guest of President Porfirio Diaz, of Mexico.
Mr. Pullen married, Sept. 8, 1894, Elisabeth Cavazza, a native of Portland, Maine, daughter of Charles and Anna (Daveis) Jones. Charles JONES was born Aprl 16, 1804, in Portland, died Dec. 16, 1859. He came from a seagoing family who were traders in the Mediterranean Sea. Mr. Jones was a leading man in Portland in his day, and was largely instrumental in the welfare and upbuilding of that city. He served as president of the Gas Company and managing director of the Portland Company, of which concerns he was also the practical founder and organizer. He was a man of genius, capable of turning his hand to many things, was of highly artistic temperament, a successful business man and financier of no mean ability.
Mrs. Pullen has attained eminence in literature, both prose and verse. Beside a large number of articles, stories and poems in the magazines, she is the author of two volumes: one of sketches, "Don Finimondone," and the other a novel, "Mr. Whitman," both stories of South Italian life. Her poems on the occasions of the placing of the Longfellow statue and of the celebration of the Longfellow centenary, the ode sung at the City Centennial and the verses for the unveiling of the monument at Valley Forge to the Maine soldiers of the revolution, were written upon invitation of the committees in charge.