Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


This name comes from a Latin word popa, meaning a priest, so that probably the first Mr. Pope was that church official. The hero of the name in England was the poet. One of the most prominent members of the family in this country was Major-General John Pope in the U. S. army, who sprung from Kentucky soil.

(I) The earliest record of the emigrant forebear is found in the list of freemen residing in Dorchester, Mass., in 1624, and among them was John (1) Pope. Freemanship carried with it the idea that he was a man of good standing in the community, a member of the church, and entitled to vote.
He was a weaver by trade. In Nov., 1634, he was granted five acres of land, and in Jan., 1635, twenty acres on Captayne's Neck. In June, 1636, he signed the Dorchester church covenant. From 1637 and 1641 he was selectman and overseer of fences.
He died Feb. 12, 1646. He left a nuncupative will, and the witnesses to the same were Henry Kibbe and John Pierce. The inventory of his estate was filed in June, 1649. The name of his wife was Jane, who died Dec. 11, 1662, and her will was made April 18, 1662. They were known to have two children, and probably others.
Rebecca, who married Edumund Blake.

(II) John (2), son of John (1) and Jane Pope, was born in England, and died Oct. 18, 1686, in Dorchester. He seems not to have been of his father's standing, for his property was levied upon to pay delinquent minister's tax, and was summoned before the selectmen for neglecting to teach his children the catechism and book learning. He appeared and promised amendment of his conduct. He was a hard-working husbandman, and brought his farm to a good state of cultivation.
No will was found, but administration was granted to his widow. The given name of his first name was Jane.
Children of 1st wife:
John and Nathan.
The Christian name of the second wife was Alice.
Children of 2d wife:
Thomas and John.
Lastly, Mr. Pope married Margaret.
Children of 3d wife:
Margaret, John, Susannah, William, Mary, Ebenezer, Thankful, Ralph, Jane and Joseph.
After her husband's death, Margaret joined the church and brought her children up in the love of the Lord.

(III) Ralph, third son of John (2) and Margaret Pope, was born in Dorchester in 1673, and died Feb. 2, 1744. He was thirteen when his father died, and he remained at home under maternal care. He was a very capable and successful farmer, and owned the "covenant" Nov. 28, 1697. He left waymarks along his career so we may guess what manner of man he was. He was a man after the stamp of his grandfather. He was one of a committee chosen by the town of Dorchester to let out at interest a sum of fifty thousand pounds belonging to the town, and was on a committee to convey town lands. In the tax list he was assessed for thirty acres of mowing, twenty-four of pasturage, twelve of tillage, three oxen, nine cows, two horses, and four swine.
In 1727 Ralph was chosen surveyor of highways, and 1737 a juryman.
He married Rachel, daughter of Henry and Hannah (Pray) Neale, parents of twenty-one children. The officiating clergyman at this ceremony was Rev. Moses Fisk. They were a Sabbath-revering and Christian people, and each babe was carried to the church and committed to the car of the "covenant-keeping" God. Their sons grew to manhood and became heads of families, and the daughters presided over households of their own.
Rachel, Jerusha, Jemima, Ralph, John, Elijah, Hannah, Lazarus and Ebenezer.

(IV) Ralph (2), eldest son of Ralph (1) and Rachel (Neale) Pope, was born in Dorchester, Nov. 11, 1705, and died in Stoughton, Mass., Jan. 1, 1750. He lived on the road to Dorchester Swamp on land his father had given him. It is now called Summer street. He was a physician, but nothing has been handed down to use concerning his practice, only that he refused to accept fees for services performed on Sunday.
He was a kind and benevolent man, greatly beloved by those who knew him. In connection with his practice he carried on a farm and was in the lumber business. Dr. Pope owned a slave, but he was human toward him and had him baptized the same day as his first-born child. He bore the title of captain, but as to his service history is a sealed book, though undoubtedly there is much fighting behind the name.
His will was dated Dec. 24, 1749, and the gravestone erected to his memory is still standing in the cemetery at Soughton.
Nov. 27, 1729, he married Rebecca, daughter of Richard and Rebecca (Lobdell) Stubbs, of Hull, Mass. Rev. Ezra Carpenter officiated.
Rebecca, Frederick, Samuel Ward, Lucretia, William, Rachel, Hannah and James.
The mother attained eighty-four years.

(V) Colonel Frederick, first son of Ralph (2) and Rebecca (Stubbs) Pope, was born in Stoughton, Mass., May 15, 1733, and died Aug. 20, 1812, during the tumultuous scenes of war for sailors' rights. Frederick was but seventeen when his father died, and upon his young shoulders, inexperienced as he was, fell the burdens and responsibilities of caring for his younger brothers and sisters, and being a prop to his mother. This duty he performed with great fidelity and steadfastness remarkable for one of his years. He was tall, lithe and strong, calm under excitement, rather reserved in his manner, but when he spoke his words were to the point and carried wieght.
Col. Pope was representative to the general court in 1787-88-88-91-96. A man of Frederick's constitution and make-up was not one to remain quietly at home in times of martial trouble, and we find him as we should expect to, at the front, as a private in Capt. Talbot's company in the early days of the revolution. In June, 1775, he raised a company of fifty-eight men, of which he was made captain. In May, 1777, he was colonel of a battalion formed for the defence of Boston harbor.
He was married to a Bridgewater girl, Molly, daughter of Joseph and Mary Cole, by Rev. John Porter, June 8, 1758. She was a capable woman and worthy to be the lifemate of a youth of such high standing.
Ralph, Rachel, Samuel Ward, Alexander, Frederick, William, Mary and Elijah.

(VI) Samuel Ward, second son of Col. Frederick and Mary (Molly) (Cole) Pope, was born in Stoughton in Feb., 1763, and died in Charlestown, South Carolina, in April, 1797. A dozen years old when the revolution broke out, he was a comfort to his mother, her husband being away to the wars. He went to Charlestown, South Carolina, after attaining manhood, and engaged in house building. He there wooed and won a beautiful southern girl, Mary Wood.
William, Elizabeth and John.

(VII) Hon. William, first born of Samuel Ward and Mary (Cole) Pope, was born in Charlestown, South Carolina, March 30, 1787. His parents dying when he was quite young, he was taken to Massachusetts and brought up in the family of his grandfather. With his uncles he acquired a considerable knowledge of the lumber business, and removed to Machias, Maine, built a sawmill, and engaged in lumbering and farming.
In 1821 he was selectman in Machias, and was elected on the council of Governor Kent. He held many important commissions in the Maine militia, and in the war of 1812 he often joined with others and went out to sea for the purpose of capturing some British cruiser on the coasts. In 1841 he returned to Boston and resided at 2 Garland street. In this city he served in the common council, the board of aldermen, and a representative to the general court. He was a director in the Boylston National Bank, of which he was made president but declined to serve. In Boston he still conducted the lumer business, shipping from the Maine base of supplies to his wharf on Harrison avenue. After the discovery of gold in California, the firm established a branch there and sent out lumber. In addition to lumbering they built vessels every year in the East Machias shipyard. They had ships of their own building in the China, East India and Australian trade.
He was a man of fine form and features, dignifire bearing, and pleasing conversational powers. In religion he was a Universalist, but he was not set in his views and did not object to worship with the sect with which his lot happened to be cast, and contributed his share toward the support of preaching. Col. Pope was noted for his modesty, having little faith in noise and presumption; while, with this trait, he showed some of the best elements of character - strength, persistence, plainness, integrity, love of country and all public interests, practical religion, sincere and enduring friendship, and great domestic affection. In all these respects he stood prominent. He had largeness of nature, with unusual symmetry and proportion. None would fail to mark his presence and bearing, while, at the same time, it would be difficult to say what was the particular trait of character that had arrested attention. His body was well inspired by the presence and power of his higher life; its athletic amplitude was still full of beauty; its ruggedness fitting it for hard work and long endurance, and not gross and earthy, but eminently refined and finished. Hence with equal fitness of presence he could stand in the midst of the lumber enterprise, at the head of a regiment of stalwart Maine militia, or sit with Governor Kent's council, or with the board of aldermen of our own city.
"Persistence was a ruling trait of his character. He insisted on carrying his point, and wind and tirde turned against him in vain. His will had often to bend during the troublous times of 1812, when he was commencing in life; it never broke. It rose elastic and turned disasters into victories. He outrode many a commercial gale that swept down and ruined the less firm in purpose.
"He was a man of great moral integrity, and confidence and trade came naturally to his counting-room. He was plain and true. None doubted his word. He disdained to make commerce a strategy, but sought rather to base it on the high principles of industry and justice - not a narrow and legal, but a broad and magnanimous justice. Business was life with him, and a fit theater for the exercise of the noblest virtues. He gave to it his conscience and heart, and won a name from the midst of traffic that stands untarnished by stain or blot.
"He was an ardent patriot. He entered heartily into the spirit of the late national campaign, and saw no honorable course to be pursued but to conquer rebellion and make liberty and equal rights universal, having nothing to do with concession and compromise. He was equally friendly to all public interests, civil or social or religious, and gave much time and money for their promotion. He loved his race. He had a humanitarian heart." * * * * "At home he was full of peace and sunshine. He loved his family with a constant and generous love, which was gladly and tenderly requited. He has left them the treasure of a name that shall be ever fragrant in their memories - an 'inheritance for his children's children.'"
He married Peggy Dawes Billlings, Sept. 27, 1810, the Rev. Charles Lowell, D.D., acting as master of ceremonies. She was the daughter of William Billings, of Boston, who was distinguished in his time as a public singer and musical composer. He is said to have been the first composer in the U. S. She died at the home, No. 2 Garland street, Boston, Feb. 8, 1862. "She was a woman of great energy and activity; rearing her chldren and managing her large family with great care and industry. Her house might emphatically have been called her sphere of action, so constantly and untiringly did she labor there, sacrificing her inclination to accompany her husband on his business excursions, which were frequent and which would have given her the opportunity of visiting her friends and relatives, to her conscientious and unostentatious discharge of house-hold duties. Nor was she neglectful of her neighbors. The sick found her ever ready to contribute to their happiness by her counsel and sympathy, while the poor ever found in her a bountiful benefactress. Her doors were open to all, and her house might almost have been called a hotel, so constantly was it filled by friends and even strangers visiting that part of the country; and never will they forget her cordial greeting and hospitable attentions. Possessing an affectionate disposition, great integrity of character, and a genial temperament, she was an agreeable companion and friend, until disease laid his hand upon her, depriving her of all which could render life a blessing to herself or her friends. Her sickness was painful and protracted, taken from her speech and the entire use of her limbs. Her children lose in her one of the best of mothers, and her husband a faithful wife."
William Billings (died in infancy), William Henry, Samuel Ward, Lucy Swan, John Adams, Andrew Jackson, James Otis, Eliza Otis, Edwin, Julia, George Washington and Hannah Elizabeth.

(VIII) James Otis, sixth son of Col. William and Peggy D. (Billings) Pope, was born Feb. 17, 1822, in Machias, Maine. He was taken into the great firm of William Pope and Sons, which later became S. W. Pope & Company, and afterward J. O. Pope & Company, and he continued in the business through life. Few men had the success equal to Col. Pope, father of James I. and founder of the firm, in holding together six of his sons in co-operative business life, and the harmony of that co-operation was not strained but had the full naturalness of a father with his boys, and brother with brother. The sure outcome of this unity of action, good feeling, division of labor and talent was the accumulation of wealth. Colonel Pope was prone to name his sons after the heroes of the revolution, and James born that of the Boston patriot.
He married Olive Frances, daughter of Simeon and Louisa Foster Chase, of East Machias, who was born June 9, 1835, and died Dec. 12, 1901.
John Adams (see forward), Warren Foster (see forward), Arthur Ward, Helen Augusta, Macy Stanton (see forward).

(IX) John Adams, eldest son of James O. and Olive F. (Chase) Pope, was born May 8, 1858, in East Machias. After attending Washington Academy he was engaged by the firm of J. O. Pope & Company, and continued therewith until they sold out in 1901, since which he has enjoyed a restful leisure at his beautiful home in East Machias.
He is a Republican and meets with the Congregational church. John A. and brothers, Warren F. and Macy S., presented to the town of East Machias a substantial stone bridge, which spans the river at East Machias. The bridge bears the following inscription: "This bridge is erected in memory of William Pope and his sons, William Henry, Samuel Warren, John Adams, Andrew Jackson, James Otis, Edwin, and George Washington Pope, founders of a lumber business which began near this site and extended to neighboring towns, to Boston, and to the Pacific coast, and which was conducted by these men and their descendants, from 1807 to 1901."

(IX) Warren Foster, second son of James O. and Olive F. (Chase) Pope, was born at East Machias, March 30, 1862. He attended the public schools and graduated from Gray's Business College, Portland, in 1882. He resides in East Machias, and is a mechanic and surveyor of land.
He married, Oct. 1, 1890, Kittie M., daughter of Jacob Stuart, of Machiasport.
1. Morrill Stuart, born July 2, 1891.
2. Susan Helen, born July 31, 1892, died Aug. 12, 1895.
3. Leona Kellogg, born April 26, 1894, died Aug. 21, 1895.
4. Winona, born Feb. 11, 1896.
5. James Warren, born Oct. 17, 1897.
6. Ralph Chase, born Feb. 23, 1899.
7. William Jacob, born April 25, 1904.

(IX) Macy Stanton, youngest son of James I. and Olive F. (Chase) Pope, was born at East Machias, July 26, 1869. In the shipyards and upon the extensive timber lands owned by his father, he grew up and gained his knowledge of the woods and of the lumber industry. He attended the public schools and graduated from the Washington Academy, East Machias, June 20, 1888. He entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the fall of 1888, and graduated from the department of civil engineering in May, 1892. Shortly after graduating, he entered the employ of the Associated Factory Mutual Fire Insurance Companies, of Boston, and the greater part of his time there was spent on a series of tests of cast-iron water pipe and fittings, made at Nashua, New Hampshire, under the direction of John R. Freeman. In the fall of 1892 Mr. Pope returned to the institute as assistant instructor in hydraulic engineering to Professor Dwight Porter, and he remained there until the following June. He then re-entered the employ of the Factory Mutuals, though a portion of his time was again devoted to the private work of Mr. Freeman in the preparations of designs for a new reservoir, dam and pumping station for the Pennichuck Water Works of Nashua, N. H., and for repairs and improvements upon the water power plant of the Piscataquis Pulp and Paper Company. From this time until Feb., 1898, his time was divided between testing work along various lines, in the laboratory of the Factory Mutuals, as well as in the field; to work in the plan department, involving the surveying of mills and the drawing up of plans of them, and private work done for Mr. Freeman, which included certain investigations relating to the water supplies of New York and Boston.
In February, 1898, under leave of absence from the company, he returned to his home at East Machias, and he also made a trip to southern states and California with his mother. In June, 1900, he returned to the Factory Mutuals, and was employed in making special inspections of mills in different parts of the country, being specially qualified for this work by his braod experience in the inspection department of the Factory Mutuals and his own business training. Mr. Pope took a deep interest in engineering matters, and was a member of various engineering socities, such as the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the New England Water-works Assocation, and the Society of Arts, as well as of the Technology and Appalachian Mountain clubs.
He was devoted to his old home, and took a warm and active interest in its affairs. For some years he had been one of the trustees of the Washington Academy at East Machias. He was much interested in its growth and development, and gave financial assistance to it on more than one occasion. His old alma mater also commanded his attention, and he always took a friendly interest in its welfare and progress. In his will he left it the substantial sum of twenty-five thousand dollars, while other public bequests were to the Washington Academy, and various Maine hospitals. In June, 1904, feeling the need of rest and change, he took a ten weeks' trip abroad. He was not well during the summer, and shortly after his return serious symptoms appeared, and after an illness of a month he died at Brookline, Mass., Dec. 10, 1904.
Sound common sense, simple tastes with high ideals, love of work, a just appreciation of nature and a good knowledge of men, were marked characteristics in the life of Macy S. Pope, who will long be remembered as a worthy example of a fine and virile type of New Englander.

Blind Counter