Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The ancestors of the American family of this sketch are traced with more or less certainty through many generations in England, where the early ancestor and several of those following him held positions of trust and honor. Identity of name does not necessarily imply sameness of origin, and many families of this name are not of this stock, though this family is traditionally connected with the Perkins family of Boston. The arms of John Perkins of Ufton, County Berks, England, third generation, were:
A shield or, as fesse dancette, ermine, three billets ermines above and below the fesse dancette. The arms of William Parkyns of the next generation were:
Or, a fesse dancette, between eight billets ermine.
This last appears on a seal used on a deed from William Parkyns to Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester.
(I) Pierre de Morlaix, alias Perkins, was living in 1380-81 and was high steward of the estates of Hugo Despencer, at that time one of the richest and most powerful nobles of England, having no less than fifty-nine lordships in various counties.
(II) Henry (1) Perkins, who was known as Henry Pierrekin, or Henry the son of Pierre, succeeded to the stewardship held by his father. He had a son John, next mentioned.
(III) John Perkins, the son of Henry Perkins, followed his father as steward of the Despencers, and in numerous transfers of land he was required to make, he wrote his name indifferently, John Perkins, Perkyns Armiger, and Parkyns. He was living in 1397-1400, in the reign of Henry VI. John Perkins, armiger, held the position of high steward to Despencer, when the heiress of this famous Despencer family married the Earl of Warwick, known as the king maker from the part he took in the Wars of the Rosess. John Perkins, as shown by the court roll of Madresfield, 1390, held one messuage and eighteen acres of land there. He was seneschal to Thomas Despencer Earl of Gloucester - Lord Thomas Despencer married a kinswoman of Richard II.
(IV) William Parkyns, Lord of Ufton, was baillous, or agent, to Humphrey Plantaganet, Duke of Gloucester, who was brother to Henry V, and uncle and guardian to the young Henry VI during his minority. His wife was Margaret.
(V) Thomas Parkyns, living 1452-1479, is supposed to be the ancestor of the Madresfield and Nottinghamshire Perkins family, which claims William Parkyns of the fourth generation as its ancestor, though there are no authentic records now known to prove the claim. This Thomas Parkyns married Ellen, sister of John Tompkins, of Nappend, Herefordshire.
(VI) James Perkins, of Shropshire, son of Thomas Parkyns, of Madresfield and Ufton, married and had a son Thomas.
(VII) Thomas (2) Perkins, of Hillmorton, county of Warwick, is supposed to be a son of James Perkins above. His wife was Alys (Alice). His will, dated April 3, 1528, proved at Litchfield April 21, 1528, mentions Thomas Clark and "Alys, my wife," as executors. Alice Perkins, of Hillmorton, made a will dated July 31 and proved by Henry Perkins, her son, Oct. 15, 1538. She directs that her body shall be buried in the church of St. John the Baptist, at Hillmorton.
Henry, Jone or Jane, and Jelyan or Julianna.
(VIII) Henry (2), eldest child of Thomas (2) and Alice Perkins, left but little of his life on record. His will was proved June 16, 1546. The name of his wife is unknown.
Thomas, William and Joan.
The Madresfield Perkins arms are the same as used by the eighth generation of the Ufton Perkins family, county Warwick, and their descendants in America. Arms: A shield or; a fesse dancette, ermine; between ten billets ermines, four above and six below the fesse; crest, a pineapple (cone) proper color, branches and leaved, vert.
(IX) Thomas (3), son of Henry (2) Perkins, resided at Hillmorton, where he was living in 1546. His will, dated Sept. 16, 1588, was proved by his son Henry at Litchfield, May 11, 1592.
He married Alice Kibble or Kebbell, who was living Dec. 17, 1601.
Fifteen, but only twelve of them are listed:
Henry, John, Edward, Luke, Thomas, Isaache, Lewis, Elizabeth, Joan, and Lysle, and a daughter who married Edward Shawe.
(X) Isaache, seventh son of Thomas (3) and Alice (Kibble or Kebbell) Perkins, was living in 1603, and died Dec. 1, 1629. He was appraiser of the estate of his brother Edward Aug. 18, 1619. The name of his wife is unknown.
Children (so far as known):
Isaache, three daughters, and Jacob, baptized March 23, 1605.
John Perkins, of Ipswich, Mass., and Abraham Perkins, of Hampton, N. H., are supposed to be sons of Isaache Perkins.
(XI) Isaac (2), son of Isaache (1) Perkins, was probably born in January, 1611, as the record of his baptism Jan. 26, 1611, appears in the register of the churh of St. John the Baptist in Hillmorton, in the county of Warwick, England. Also is recorded three, in 1608, John Perkins and Judith Gater, married 9th of October. This is John Perkins, later of Ipswich, Mass. Isaac Perkins died in Hampton, N. H. Nov. 13, 1685, aged seventy-four.
This Isaac Perkins came to New England between 1630 and 1634. He was in Ipswich in 1637, as he received a grant of land there at that time. In 1638 the town of Hampton, N. H. was settled and among those who went there were Abraham and Isaac Perkins, believed to have been younger brothers of John Perkins of Ipswich, and their families. According to tradition Abraham and Isaac were brothers. They appear to have made settlement about the same time, and the house lots assigned to them by the town, each containing five acres, adjoined each other. Isaac's house was nearly on the site of the present (1908) Baptist parsonage, and there he lived more than ten years. In the list of shares of commons granted "23, 12mo. 1645" unto the proprietors of house lots were three shares to Abraham and Isaac Perkins.
In June, 1652, Rev. Timothy Dalton, reader of the church in Hampton, sold to Isaac Perkins, of Hampton, planter, for fifty pounds, his farm lying next to Salisbury line, in N. H., with seventy acres of meadow and marsh, bounded by John Brown and John Wheelrite. Isaac Perkins probably removed there soon after the purchase. March 23, 1663, a committee presented a report on the owners of the shares in the cow common and how the title was derived. Among these "origianl rights" Isaac Perkins' title is shown to be derived from Samuel Fogg, one share bought of Henry Roby. The old Norfolk records show conveyance by Isaac Perkins of small pacels of land and rights of way across his land. Among the names on a list of those premitted to vote at the first assembly of the Royal Province of New Hampshire, March 16, 1680, is that of Isaac Perkins.
March 2, 1683, Isaac Perkins and eighteen others signed a petition to Edward Cranfield, Esq., his majesty's lieutenant governor of the province of New Hampshire, to be freed from head money, all being about and above seventy years of age, some above eighty, others near ninety, "being heartily willing our estates should pay their proportion to all public charges." In an address and petition from Hampton to the King against Cranfield signed by sixty-seven persons, there are the names of Isaac and six other male members of the Perkins family.
A note on the families in Hampton states that during the first summer Mr. Bachelor was in Hampton, the families of Abraham and Isaac Perkins were among the number there. They were the first to have their children baptized by Mr. Bachelor at that place, and Abraham's son, born Sept. 2, 1639, baptized Dec. 15, 1639, is said to have been the first male white child born in Hampton.
Sept. 18, 1671, Abraham and Isaac Perkins and their wives, Susanna and Mary, were among the sixty-five persons in full communion in the church at Hampton. Isaac Perkins was a rich man; was a ship carpenter and settled in what is now called Seabrook.
Isaac Perkins married, about 1634, Susanna, daughter of Humphrey Wise, of Ipswich, and Abraham Perkins married Mary Wise, her sister. Susanna Perkins survied her husband and died a widow in 1699 in Newcastle, Delaware, where she was living with her daughter Rebecca (Perkins) Hussey.
Isaac and Susanna had two children born in Ipswich, the others were born in Hampton.
Lydia, Isaac, Jacob, Rebecca, Daniel, Caleb, Benjamin, Susanna, Hannah, Mary, Ebenezer and Joseph.
(XII) Caleb, fourth son of Isaac (2) and Susanna (Wise) Perkins, was born in 1648. He resided at Hampton, and was the only son of Isaac who remained in New England, the others removing to Maryland. Caleb and Ebenezer Perkins, sons of Isaac, are known to have been in the service of the country during the years 1675 and 1676.
Caleb Perkins married, April 24, 1677, Bethia, b. Dec. 15, 1654, daughter of Thomas Philbrick, of Hampton.
Rhoda, Benjamin and Ann.
(XIII) Benjamin, only son of Caleb and Bethia (Philbrick) Perkins, was born May 11, 1680, died Feb. 11, 1767. He signed a petition Dec. 5, 1709, with others, asking relief from paying rates to support a minister at Hampton, and to have a meeting house in the south part of Hampton and a minister of their own. May 13, 1710, Caleb Perkins, Benjamin Perkins, and others, petitioned that each part of the town of Hampton maintain its own minister. He resided in what is now Hampton Falls.
He married, March 1, 1710 or 1711, Lydia Macrease, who was of Scotch (Scottish!!) descent.
Joseph, Lydia, Daniel, Mary, Jonathan and Abigial.
(XIV) Joseph, eldest child of Benjamin and Lydia (Macrease) Perkins, was born in Hampton Falls, May 5, 1712, died there June 17, 1761. He was engaged in agriculture, and was highly esteemed by his townsmen.
He mararied, Oct. 31, 1734, Elizabeth, of Seabrook, daughter of Jeremiah Dow, son of Sergeant Joseph Dow. She died Nov. 24, 1781, at Hampton Falls.
David (died young), Elidia (called Lydia), David, Nancy, Sarah, Benjamin and Hannah.
(XV) David (1), second son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Dow) Perkins, was born in Hampton Falls, Nov. 3, 1740, died Aug. 15, 1816. He lived on the ancestral homestead, where he built a house about 1806. Two of his sons lived in the town, Capt. Nathaniel, and Joseph, who was prominent in town affairs. The David Perkins homestead was afterward owned by Chevy Chase. The ancient homestead of the Perkins set back a short distance from the house built in 1806. All the children of Capt. Nathaniel Perkins were born in the 1806 house, except Harriet, who wa born in the Fifield house. The family lived in the Fifield house fourteen years, until John L. Perkins, son of Capt. Nathaniel, built his house on the turnpike road in Hampton Falls, between the "hill" and the Marshes.
The revolutionary war annals of New Hampshire record the fact that David Perkins in 1777 was in Captain Stephen Dearborn's company, July 21 to Sept. 18, one month and twenty-nine days.
David Perkins married, March 22, 1764, Abigail, born March 22, 1742, daughter of Gershom Griffith, of Hampton, a trader, who came from Portsmouth. She died in Hampton Falls Aug. 15, 1819, aged seventy-seven years, five months.
Mary, Joseph, Sally, Nathaniel, David, Betsy and Abigail.
(XVI) Capt. Nathaniel, second son of David and Abigail (Griffith) Perkins, was born in Hampton Falls, N. H., Oct. 11, 1771, died July 15, 1848. He was a tanner and also had a store, but in his later life was a farmer. His farm of one hundred acres or more was finely situated, the road passing through it about midway, and he took much pains to have it always in order. In 1827 or 1828 he sold the homestead and moved to the Fifield place nearby.
He was of a decided military turn and served for years in the militia. He was commissioned ensign of the second company of the Third Regiment, Oct. 19, 1805, and captain of the same company Sept. 7, 1810. He resigned the latter commission Sept. 3, 1814.
At one time he was a member of the board of selectmen. He was about six feet in height, would be called fairly broad-shouldered, weighed about one hundred and eighty pounds, had prominent features, dark blue eyes, and a Roman nose, and was a good-looking man.
He married, Sept. 24, 1807, Mary Janvrin, born Dec. 12, 1787, died Sept. 5, 1871, daughter of Jame and Mary (Chase) Janvrin, and was descended from Jean Janvrin, a native of the Isle of Jersey, one of the channel islands off the north and west coast of France, whose son John was the father of James, her father.
Nathaniel Griffith, Mary (died young), David, Elizabeth Brown, Joshua Chase, James, William Evans, John Lewis, Mary Ann and Harriet Esther.
(XVII) Lieut. David (2), second son of Capt. Nathaniel and Mary (Janvrin) Perkins, was born in Hampton Falls, N. H., April 26, 1812, died at the home of his brother, James Perkins, at Calais, Maine, where he was visiting, Sept. 19, 1875. When about twenty-one years of age he went from Hampton Falls, N. H., to Eastport, Maine, where he was clerk in an office in 1833. In 1834 he was in the office of the Pembroke Iron Works until the failure of the company. In 1835 he was with Wyse & Company, lumber dealers, Middletown, Connecticut, and in 1836-37, with the Red Beach Plaster Mills, Calais, Maine. In 1838 he settled in Eastport, Maine, and by prudence and business sagacity became one of Eastport's most prosperous merchants. He was part owner at one time in eighteen vessels, schooners, brigs and barks. He carried on a chip chandlery and general merchandise business at Market Landing. He was also interested in the fisheries, having two vessels, the schooners "Paul Pry" and "William R. Page" in the cod and mackerel fisheries, and in the herring fisheries at the Magdalen Islands. He resided in Eastport until 1870, when having accumulated a competence he removed to Portland, Maine, and purchased a house at 384 Cumberland street, and lived there until his death.
He was a prominent member in Eastport of the Central Congregational Church, member of the Washington National Monument Society, a life member of the Maine Missionary Society, a prominent member of Moose Island Division, No. 72, of the Order of the Sons of Temperance, initiated March 18, 1847, and was at one time an engineer of the Eastport fire department.
He and General Neal Dow had the same grandparent on the Dow side, that is, Lieut. David Perkins. David Perkins was commissioned by Governor John Fairfield, April 17, 1839, as paymaster of the Third Regiment of Infantry of the First Brigade and Seventh Division of Maine militia, with the rank of lieutenant, which position he held till June 7, 1843, when he resigned and was honorably discharged.
After settling in eastern Maine his brothers, James and Joshua Chase Perkins, both married, removed to Calais, Maine, to live, and became prominent citizens of that place, where they brought up their families.
His brother, William Evans Perkins, also lived at Calais, unmarried. Joshua C. and his wife and William E. Perkins died at Calais. James and family later moved to Boston, where he died Oct. 31, 1902. His sons and daughters, Frank Nathaniel and Frederick Heber, married, Helen and Mary, both married, now reside there.
The children of Joshua C. Perkins removed from the state; one, Alice (widow), was wife of S. W. Golding, living in Chicago, Illioins; a son Harry H. married, living in Cleveland, Ohio, and Grace L., wife of Alfred P. Balch, living in West Winsted, Connecticut.
David Perkins married, in Portland, Nov. 5, 1839, Margaret Brazier, b. Jan. 3, 1812, died March 25, 1875, daughter of Harrison and Abigial (Riggs) Brazier, of Portland.
1. Mary Abigail, born Feb. 25, 1842, living unmarried in Portland, Maine, 1908.
2. Nathaniel Rawson, born March 29, 1845, died unmarried May 10, 1874.
3. Sophia Kellogg, born June 26, 1847, married, June 26, 1884, Julius Jennings Clapp, of Columbus, Georgia, who was b. Sept. 9, 1839, at Columbus, Georgia, d. April 24, 1897, at Birmingham, Alabama. They resided in Woodlawn, a suburb of Birmingham. They had one child, Marion Perkins Clapp, born in Portland, Maine, Aug. 30, 1885, who married Sept. 25, 1907, Henry C. Larabee, of Portland, Maine.
4. David Page, mentioned below.
5. Corinne, born Jan. 24, 1853, died young.
(XVIII) David Page, second son of Lieut. David and Margaret (Brazier) Perkins, was born in Eastport, March 2, 1850. He attended the common and high schools of his native town, now a city, and at sixteen years of age went to Poughkeepsie, New York, and took a course in Eastman's National Business College. In 1867 he was at Eastport in his father's office; in 1868 in the employ of H. & C. W. Barnard, St. Stephen, N. B., until springtime, when he obtained a position as timekeeper and paymaster on nine miles of the European and North American Railroad, then building between Bangor, Maine and St. John, New Brunswick, being located at Harvey-Mannersutton, N. B. In 1868 he was called home to take charge of the business of his father, who had been prostrated by a stroke of paralysis. In August, 1869, he was again at Harvey, and adjusted the accounts of the contractors of the European and North American Railroad to the satisfaction of all concerned. From Dec. 7, 1869 to Nov. 13, 1872, he was in the office of Sewall Day & Company, Boston, importers and manufacturers of cordage. While in Boston he spent most of his evenings for two years in the study of French and Spanish, under the instruction of Charles De Lagarliere, of Bordeaux, France, a teacher in the Boston schools. In 1873 he was in business on Washington street, under the firm name of Raymond, Perkins & Company. Aat the close of the year he went to Portland, Maine, where he has since resided. In the thirty-four years of his residence there he has held positions as head bookkeeper in a number of wholesale grocery houses on Commercial street, and acted in several capacities in Portland banks. He was in the wholesale fish business for two years, and since 1904 has been in the commission and merchandise brokerage business, office on Commercial street, Portland, Maine.
He has traveled extensively in the U. S. and has visited, for pleasure, every state east of the Missisippi river except Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida, and also visited Minnesota, and the Provinces of Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. He has been much interested in Odd Fellowship; was twice noble grand of Unity Lodge, No. 3, and chief patriarch of Portland Encampment, No. 19, in 1896; was a member of the Grand Lodge and the Grand Encampment of Maine, serving on committees and holding minor offices in the Grand Lodge, and was for two terms district deputy grand master at Portland. He has been a member of the Independent Order of Good Templars and the Temple of Honor, and was admitted to the Grand Lodge of Good Templars at Richmond, Maine, April 14, 1869. He is a member of the New England Order of Protection, and Maine Genealogical Society, and, in connection with his language study, of La Sociedad Literaria Espanola.
He was a member of the Maine Association of the New Church, and for many years its secretary and tresurer. He was a member of the Weber Club, a musical society organized at his house, which for many years was the best club of male singers in the state, comprising more than thirty members, was led by Mr. John Morgan, and for a few years by Professor Hermann Katzschmar. Mr. John B. Coyle, a noted Portland bass singer, was one of the honorary members. He was a member of the Haydn Association, sang first tenor, and was also a member of the Maine Musical Festival Chorus, Western Division. He has been an ardent lover of nature, and much devoted to piscatorial sport, having fished for speckled trout in many streams and lakes in New Brunswick, Maine and New Hampshire. He published a History of the Portland Society of the New Jerusalem, of which he was a member; also Time Saving and Systematic Manner of Conducting Business; a game called Multi, a game of multiplication, and copyrighted various other products of his pen.
He has also taken much interest in numismatics. His principal literary work is a genealogy of the entire Perkins family of the United States, a manuscript compilation of much value to those who desire to know of this family, upon which he has spent much time in research. In younger days he was a devoted patron of the lecture and dramatic stage, and the grand operas.
David Page Perkins was married at Eastport, in Christ's Church (Episcopal), by Rev. William D. Martin, to Margaret Williams FESSENDEN, June 10, 1884. She was born in Saco, Maine, Jan. 31, 1855, daughter of Dr. Hewett C., a graduate of Dartmouth College, and Mary (Peterson) Fessenden. She is descended from Nicholas Fessenden, the immigrant, who was living in Cambridge, Mass., 1674; William Fessenden, hiks son, a carpenter, born 1694; William, schoolmaster, a graduate of Harvard College, b. Dec. 7, 1718; Rev. William, graduate of Harvard College, b. Nov. 3, 1747, or 1748; General Samuel, her father's father, born July 16, 1784, graduate of Dartmouth College 1806.
David Fessenden and William Hayden Perkins.
David F. is mentioned below; Willian Hayden, b. Oct. 10, 1893, is in school.
(XIX) David Fessenden, elder of the two sons of David P. and Margaret W. (Fessenden) Perkins, was born in Portland July 27, 1885. He attended the public schools of Portland. At the age of fourteen he had dramatized "A Gentleman from Gascony" and had written an original play, "A Merry Highwayman," which he produced with his own company May 1, 1900, at City Hall, Portland.
In the fall of 1900 he went on the professional stage, making his debut with Eduard Waldemann in Shakespearian repertoire. In 1901 he was with Shipman Brother's production of "A Cavalier of France." Subsequent engagements were with Grand Opera House Stock, New Orleans, Louisiana, and various companies playing the eastern and middle western states. From April to August, 1903, he was the dramatic editor of the Portland Daily Press and Sunday Times. On Oct. 15, 1906, he opened a vaudeville starring tour in his own playlet "Friendship" at the Portland Theatre, playing to packed hosues and concluded Oct. 21, one of the largest weeks in the history of the theater. This playlet he played in all the principal cities of the country from St. John, N. B., Boston, New York, Chicago to Victoria, British Columbia, south including Seattle, Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and east by way of Salt Lake, Denver, Leavenworth, and Kansas City.
He is the author of several plays, "The Honor of Cassel," "The Long Ago," "The Greater Bond," "A Gentleman Adventurer," and "The Waywardness of Denise." In 1908 he finihsed a novel, "A Master of Fence," published in Mumsey's Scrap Book, July, 1908. In the year of 1908 he played in New York theaters and with stock company in Jefferson Theater, Portland, and the summer theatre at Cape Elizabeth, Maine. In 1908 he had played roles in two hundred and sixty-five different plays.
David F. Perkins was married in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, March 3, 1907, to Catherine Sunbury, who was born in a suburb of Budapest, Hungary, March 7, 1888, daughter of Anthony Walter and Rosa (Parsincha) Sunbury, of (Shamrock) Paxinos, Pennsylvania.
They have one child, Dorothy Margaret, born Jan. 9, 1908, at (Shamrock) Paxinos, Pennsylvania.
The above sketch is gleaningvs from manuscript of "The Perkins Family in England and America," by David Page Perkins, member of the Maine Genealogical Society.
The Perkins family is an ancient one in England. The first of the name of whom there is record, and from whom the family is descended, is "Peter Morley Esq., alias Perkins," who lived in the time of Richard II and was an officer in the household, or steward of the court of Sir Hugo Despencer, about 1300. The name is spelled variuosly Peerkins, Parkins, Perkings and Perkins. Several of the name lived in the neighborhood of Newent, county Gloucester, England, and the immigrant John is said to have come from that part of England.
(I) John Perkins, immigrant ancestor, was born in 1590, probably in Newent, county Gloucester, England. He sailed from Bristol, Dec. 1, 1630, in the ship "Lion," William Pierce, master, with his wife and five children. He was in the company with Rev. Roger Williams, and after a stormy voyage of sixty-seven days they landed at Boston, Feb. 6, 1631. He settled first in Boston and was admitted a freeman May 18, 1631.
He was one of a committee of four to settle the bounds between Roxbury and Dorcester, Nov. 7, 1632. He removed in 1633 to Ipswich, and had several grants of land. His house was near the river, at the entrance to Jeffries neck, on what is now East street. He was deputy to the general court in 1636 and on the grand jury in 1648-52. His will was dated March 28, 1654.
He married Judith _____.
1. John, born 1614, mentioned below.
2. Thomas, born 1616, died May 7, 1686.
3. Elizabeth, born 1618, died 1700.
4. Mary, born 1620, died 1700.
5. Jacob, born 1624, died Jan. 29, 1700.
6. Lydia, born 1632, died about 1672; baptized at First Church in Boston June 3, 1632.
(II) John (2), son of John Perkins (1), was born in England in 1614 and came to New England with his parents. He had a grant of land in Ipswich in 1634 and other grants, and owned an island called Hog Island.
He married, about 1635, Elizabeth _____.
The following is from a paper by Rev. Thomas Cobbet: "About 5 or 6 years after (an intended attack upon "Nahumkeick" by the Indians) in the first planting of Ipswich (as a credible man informs me, namely Quartermaster Perkins), the Tarratines or Easterly Indians had a design to cut them off at the first, when they had but 20 or 30 men, old and young belonging to the place (and that instant most of the men had gone into the bay about their occasions not hearing thereof). It was thus one Robin, a friendly Indian, came to this John Perkins, then a young man, then living in a little hut upon his father's island on this side of Joefrye's Neck, and told him that on such a Thursday morning, early, there woudl come four Indians to draw him to go down the Hill to the water side, to truck with them, which if he did, he and all neare him would be cut off; for there were 40 burchen canoues, would lie out of sight, in the brow of the Hill, full of Armed Indians for that purpose; of this he forthwith acquaints Mr. John Winthrop, who then lived there, in a howse near the water, who advised him if such Indians came, to carry it ruggedly toward them, and threaten to shoot them if they would not be gone, and when their backs were turned to strike up the drum he had with him beside his two muskets, and then discharge them; that those 6 or 8 young men, who were in the marshes hard by a mowing, haveing theyr guns each of them ready charged, by them, might take the Alarme and the Indians would perceive theyr plot was discovered and haste away to sea againe; which was accordingly so acted and tooke like effect; for he told me that presently after he discovered 40 such canowes sheare off from under the Hill and make as fast as they could to sea. And no doubt many godly hearts were lifted up to heaven for deliverance, both in that deliverance at Salem and this at Ipswich."
John Perkins opened the first ordinary or inn in Ipswich, and was chosen quartermaster of the military. He was one of several to sign a petition Feb. 16, 1681-82, to resist the claims of Mason to a title of lands about Gloucester. He was engaged in the coast fisheries, and used a part of what is Little Neck for curing his fish as early as 1645.
He gave his sons farms and made provision for his wife before his death, which occurred on Dec. 14, 1686, and his wife, Sept. 27, 1684.
1. John, born 1636, died 1659; married Lydia _____.
2. Abraham, born 1640, died April 27, 1722; married Hannah Beamsley.
3. Jacob, born 1646, mentioned below.
4. Luke, born 1649, married (first) Elizabeth Jacques; (second) Sarah _____.
5. Isaac, born 1650, died 1726; married Hannah Knight.
6. Nathaniel, born 1652, married Judith _____.
7. Samuel, born 1655, died 1700; married Hannah West.
10. Mary, married John Gamage.
(III) Jacob, son of John Perkins (2), was born in Ipswich in 1646 and died in 1719. He was called corporal, and sometimes mentioned as "Jacob Perkins the Malster." His father gave him the use of a farm of a hundred acres in Chebacco parish, being half a farm which he bought of William Sittred in 1661. This farm Jacob relinquished to his father for one on Sagamore Hill, upon which he resided the remainder of his life. The location of his house is still, or was lately, to be seen.
He and his brother Abraham acted as attorney for their father during the latter part of his life. His will was dated Dec. 13, 1718, and proved Dec. 14, 1719, and his sons Jacob and John were executors.
He married (first) in 1667 Sarah Wainwright, who died Feb. 3, 1688. He married (second) in 1688-89, Sarah, born March 19, 1659, daughter of Robert and Mary Kinsman.
Children of 1st wife:
1. John, born Jan. 31, 1668, died young.
2. Phillis, born Nov. 28, 1670, married Nov. 20, 1685, Thomas Emerson.
3. Francis, born Dec. 18, 1672, died before 1719.
4. Westly, born March 13, 1674, died before 1697.
5. Sarah, born May 18, 1677, married John Leighton.
6. Mehitable, born July 12, 1681, married Nov. 20, 1704, Jacob Burnham.
7. Mary, born Aug. 2, 1685, married Jonathan Burnham.
8. Elizabeth, born May 8, 1687.
Children of 2d wife:
9. Jacob, born Jan. 3, 1690, married (first) Elizabeth Kinsman, (second) Dec. 6, 1733, Mary Dresser.
10. Eunice, born March 14, 1691.
11. John, born Oct. 27, 1693, mentioned below.
12. Robert, born Oct. 21, 1695, married Elizabeth Douton.
13. Westly, born Dec. 3, 1697, married Abigail Rindge.
14. Joseph, born Oct. 9, 1699, married Elizabeth Fellows.
15. Jeremiah, born Dec. 1, 1701, married Joanna Smith.
(IV) John (3), son of Jacob Perkins, was born at Sagamore Hill, Ipswich, Oct. 17, 1693. He was a farmer and resided on Sagamore Hill. He married Elizabeth, born May 8, 1695, daughter of Zerubbabel and Grace (Symonds) Endicott, of Boxford. Her father was grandson of John Endicott, Governor of the Mass. Colony.
1. Sarah, baptized Feb. 8, 1718.
2. Elizabeth, born June 11, 1721.
3. John, born Oct. 13, 1723, died March 5, 1735.
4. Eunice, born April 10, 1726, died March 31, 1736.
5. Robert, born Aug. 25, 1728, mentioned below.
6. Hannah, born April 12, 1730.
7. Zerubbabel, born Feb. 13, 1731, died March 19, 1735.
8. Anna, born Feb. 10, 1733.
9. Mary, born Oct. 26, 1735.
10. Eunice, born Oct. 14, 1739.
(V) Captain Robert, son of John (3) Perkins, was born in Ipswich and baptized Aug. 25, 1728. He was a soldier in the revolution, lieuteanant in Capt. Moses Jewett's company, Col. John Baker's regiment, April 19, 1775, and marched to Medford on the alarm. He was a captain of a troop of horse from Essex county in 1776; also captain of the light horse volunteers of the third Essex county regiment in 1777, in the department of the north, guarding Lieutenant-General Burgoyne's army at Prospect Hill.
He was a farmer, and July 19, 1753, bought of Abraham Tilton "a certain mesuage consisting of half a house, half a barn and half a well, situated upon Meeting-house Hill, Ipswich." He owned other lands in Ipswich. He died intestate May 22, 1797, and his estate was found to be insolvent, and was divided pro rata among his creditors, reserving for the widow her third.
He married (first) July 19, 1753, intentions published April 6, 1753, Elizabeth, daugther of James Brown, of Ipswich, storekeeper. She died Dec. 4, 1763, and he married (second) Sarah _____, who survived him.
1. John, baptized April 7, 1754, died young.
2. Elizabeth, bap. June 1, 1755, married Dec. 3, 1779, Joseph Brown, of Haverhill.
3. James, removed to Damariscotta, Maine; married Sally Tarbell.
5. Joseph, died before 1797.
6. John, baptized Sept. 26, 1761.
7. Robert, baptized May 17, 1763, mentioned below.
(VI) Deacon Robert (2), son of Capt. Robert (1) Perkins, was born in Ipswich and settled early in Woolwich, Maine. He was deacon of the church at Woolwich.
1. Capt. Joseph, mentioned below.
3. Joanne, married Nathaniel Thwing.
4. Rebecca, married Charles Fairservice; in Feb. 1860, he was living in Alna, Maine.
5. Mary, or Polly, married Ralph Curtis.
6. Betsey, married Meyers Reed.
(VII) Captain Joseph, son of Deacon Robert (2) Perkins, was born in Woolwich, Maine, in 1795. He was captain of the local militia company in 1828 and afterward a citizen of prominence.
He married Feb. 22, 1821, Rachel Mathews, of Warren, Maine, b. Jan., 1794, d. 1875.
1. Child died in infancy.
2. Mary Ann, born 1825, died 1879.
3. John Wakefield, born 1826, died Jan. 25, 1886.
4. Frederick C., born Aug. 26, 1828, mentioned below.
(VIII) Frederick C., son of Capt. Jsoeph Perkins, was born at Woolwich, Maine, and died in Farmington April 1, 1891. He was educated in the common and high schools, and taught school in Anson, Belgrade, and other towns of the vicinity. He began his business career as a clerk in the drug store of John W. Perkins at Farmington, but after a short eime went to sea. For a number of years he went to the Grand Banks in the fishing vessels. He had a general store at New Sharon, Maine, for a time.
He went to Australia in 1853, and was in that country for six years and a half, following his trade as carpenter and in business as a builder and contractor. He also had a business as hay and grain dealer. When he returned to his native land he engaged in raising sheep and wool. He invested extensively in real estate in the village of Farmington and also in farming lands in the vicinity, as well as Portland and Lewiston, Maine.
In politics Mr. Perkins was a Republican. He held various town offices, including that of selectman and representataive to the state legislature in 1871-2. He was in the governor's council in 1875 in Governor Nelson Dingley's administration. He was a trustee of the old academy and served on the building committee of the first normal school, the appropriation for which was secured from the legislature largely through his efforts. He secured the charter from the state for the Wendall Institute and May School for Girls, both college and preparatory departments, and also for the Willows Female School of Farmington. He was the prime mover in securing the present high school building in Farmington and was a member of the building committee. Mr. Perkins was generous in his contributions to charity and benevolence, and helped to support both Congregational and Baptist churches. He was a member of the Baptist church, and served on its finance committee and as superintendent of its Sunday school a number of years. He lent his aid to co-operation in every good work within his reach, and was one of the most useful citizens of the town.
He was past worthy chief templar of the Good Templars of the town, and always a strong supporter of temperance, and the enforcement of the liquor law. His character was strong, his ability exceptional, his integrity absolute.
He married Feb. 9, 1860, in New Sharon (by Rev. Jonathan Adams), Mary Hawthorne Higgins, born in Stark, Somerset county, Jan. 21, 1835.
Arthur W., mentioned below.
The father of Mrs. Perkins, Isaac Cole HIGGINS, was born in Cape Cod, Mass., Aug. 28, 1804, died Jan. 12, 1886, son of Richard Higgins, who came from Orleans or vicinity to Leeds, Maine, and wie Lydia (Cahoon) Higgins. Both the father and grandfather of Richard Higgins were soldiers in the revolution, the grandfather holding a commission. Nancy (Smith) Higgins, mother of Mrs. Perkins, was born in Woolwich Nov. 19, 1802, died Nov. 18, 1862, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ellis (Hooper) Smith, and a niece of Robert Hooper, of Mass., known in his day as "King" Hooper.
(IX) Arthur Wellesley, son of Frederick C. Perkins, was born in Farmington, Dec. 18, 1860, and received his education there. He prepared for college under the tuition of Professors Burnham and Abbott, and entered Bowdoin College, from which he was graduated in 1887. He taught school and was private tutor for students while reading law in the office of J. C. Holman, of Farmington, and later in the offices of Simonds & Libby, of Portland. But he had to abandon the study of law on account of illness and death of his father. He succeeded to his father's property, and is occupied in the care and improvement of his real estate and in conducting the homestead farm.
Mr. Perkins is a Republican in politics. He is an attendant of the Congregational and Baptist churches, treasurer of the latter society and superintendent of the Sunday school. He is a member of the college fraternity Alpha Delat Phi, of Bowdoin.
The line herein traced begins in New Hampshire, almost with the beginning of permanent settlement within the state. It has furnished to N. H. many worthy and useful citizens, and many descendants of the immigrant, Abraham, are prominent citizens of other states. The English ancestry of this family is supposed to be the same as that of Isaac, the two probably being brothers.
(I) Abraham Perkins, the founder of this line, was found in New England almost simultaneously with William Perkins, of Ipswich and Topsfield, Mass. Abraham Perkins was born about 1613, and was admitted freeman at Hampton, 1640. In the preceding January he received from the town a grant of eighty acres of land, and in 1646 he was the possessor of three shares in the commons. He seemed to have been a man of intelligence and business capacity, and was often employed to transact both public and private affairs in the town. His handwriting, as preserved, resembles more nearly the modern writing than most of the ancient manuscripts. He was town marshall in 1654. He seems to have remained through life where he first settled, and died suddenly Aug. 31, 1683, aged seventy years.
His wife, Mary (Wise) Perkins, survived him more than twenty-two years, and died May 19, 1706, at the age of eighty-eight years.
Mary, Luke, Humphrey (died young), Timothy (died young), James, Jonathan, David, Abigail, Timothy, Sarah and Humphrey.
It has been claimed that the eldest son was the first white child born in Hampton. There was one other who was baptized earlier, but it is not certain whether or not he was born there.
Isaac Perkins is supposed to have been a brother of Abraham, but nothing in the records appears to verify it. Both appear about the same time in Hampton, and the house lots assigned to them adjoined each other, each containing five acres. Isaac's house was nearly on the site of the present (1908) Baptist parsonage, and he lived there for more than ten years.
In June, 1652, he purchased of Rev. Timothy Dalton for fifty pounds a farm lying next to the Salisbury line, in what is now Seabrook, and he removed thither soon after. He died in Nov., 1685. His wife's name was Susannah.
Lydia, Isaac, Jacob, Rebecca, Daniel, Caleb, Benjamin, Susannah, Anna Mary, Ebenezer and Joseph.
(II) Luke (1), third child of Abraham and Mary (Wise) Perkins, was born at Hampton, N. H., about 1641. An indenture dated "4th Mo. 3rd day" 1654, recites that Luke Perkins, aged about "fortene," with the consent of his parents puts himself apprentice to Samuel Carter, shoemaker, both of Charlestown; John Green, the elder, Giles Fifield and Thomas Jones signed the papers.
He died March 20, 1710. His son, Luke Perkins, of Ipswich, was appointed administrator of his estate March 12, 1713. His inventory gives the value of his house, sixty-two pounds, personal property, seventeen pounds.
March 9, 1663, he married Hannah, widow of Henry Cookery, and daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Long. She was admitted to the First Church March 29, 1668, and died Nov. 16, 1715, and the same yar Luke Perkins, of Plympton, as administrator of the estates of his father and mother, sold the old homestead in Charlestown.
Luke (died young), all baptized Jan. 13, 1667:
Luke, Elizabeth, John, Abraham, Hannah and Mary.
(III) Luke (2), fourth son of Luke (1) and Hannah (Long) (Cookery) Perkins, was born in Charlestown, Mass. March 18, 1667, o. s., baptized at the First Church there 19th 4mo. 1669-70, and lived successively at Marblehead, Beverly, Wenham, Ipswich (1704) and Plympton, where he moved about 1714. In each of the places where he lived he put on record the date of his marriage and the births of his children. He died at Plympton, Jan. 2, 1748, aged eighty-two. He was a blacksmith, and as an inducement for him to settle at Plympton to follow his trade a lot of eighteen acres of land in Rocky Run was deeded to him by William Churchill, Samuel Bradford and Isaac Cushman.
Nov. 24, 1704, Luke and Marth (Conant) Perkins, formerly of Beverly, now of Ipswich, sold John Filmore a house and barn and about two acres of land on the road from Wenham to Beverly which was formerly Lot Conant's. His uncle, David Perkins, of Bridgewater, in consideration of love and good will for his well-beloved cousin (nephew) gave him all his lands in Abbington, to wit: one-third of the Solomon Leonard purchase, and two-thirds of the John Robbins purchase.
He married May 13, 1688, Martha, born Aug. 15, and baptized Oct. 12, 1664, at Beverly, daughter of Lot and Elizabeth (Walton) Conant, and granddaughter of Roger Conant, the immigrant, a distinguished pioneer of Massachusetts. She "took hold of God's Covenant there (Beverly) for herself and her children 30th day, 6th mo., 1691. She was dismissed from the church in Beverly to that of Plympton Oct., 1716; she died Jan. 2, 1754, aged almost ninety years.
John, Martha (died young), Hannah, Luke, Mark, Josiah and Martha.
(IV) Josiah, third son of Luke (2) and Martha (Conant) Perkins was baptized at Beverly Nov. 16, 1701, died Oct. 15, 1789. He resided in Plympton and followed the useful and necessary calling of his father, blacksmithing. For fifty-five years he was a deacon of the church, and for forty years was town clerk, and kept the records well.
He married (first) Deborah, daughter of Nehemiah Bennett, of Middleton; she died May 19, 1751; and he married (second) Rebecca Parker, who is described by some as sister and by some as probably the widow of Rev. Jonathan Parker. She died childless July 30, 1785, aged eighty-eight.
Children, all of 1st wife:
Nathan, William, John, Martha, Joshua, Abner (died young), Josiah, Luke, Abner, Deborah, Hannah, Zephaniah and Isaac.
(V) Joshua, fourth son of Josiah and Deborah (Bennett) Perkins, was born in Plympton June 6, 1729. He married Hannah, daughter of George Sampson.
Gideon, Sarah, Deborah, Abigail, Joshua, Hannah, Rebecca, Martha, Betty, Drusilla, Luke and Sampson.
(VI) Gideon, eldest son of Joshua and Hannah (Sampson) Perkins, was born in 1751, and resided in Carver. He married (first) Desire Dunham, by whom he had eight children, and (second) Meribah Eaton, by whom he had five children.
Seth, Hannah, Cornelius, George, Rebecca, Patience, Gideon, Sarah, Betty, Seabury, Sylvia, John C. and Josiah.
(VII) Cornelius, second son of Gideon and Desire (Dunham) Perkins, was born in Carver, Mass. Dec. 25, 1775, died in Paris, Maine, in 1858. He was among the early settlers of Paris, from which in 1803 he moved to Woodstock and settled on lot number six of Smith's survey, in the east part of Woodstock, the grant of Gorham Academy. He was a useful citizen, and in town office for thirty or more years. He was the delegate from Woodstock to the convention which framed the constitution of Maine. After the death of his wife he returned to Paris, where he spent the remainder of his life.
He married (first) Experience, daughter of Samuel Battles, and (second) Mercy Barrows, of Middleboro, Mass., who was born Jan. 8, 175, and died in Weld, Maine.
The first three children were born in Paris, and the others in Woodstock.
Luther, Cornelius (died young), Gideon, Seth, Mercy, Desire, Daniel, Cyrus, Charles and Cornelius.
(VIII) Rev. Gideon, third son of Cornelius and Mercy (Barrows) Perkins, was born in Paris, Nov. 22 (20 on gravestone), 1801, died in Lewiston, Jan. 25, 1884. He was a Free Baptist minister and resided in Woodstock, Otisfield, Danville, Sabattis and Lewiston.
He married in Woodstock, Jan. 1, 1824, (Polly) Mary Dunham, of Woodstock, who was born in Norway, Nov. 2, 1799, died in Lewiston Nov. 30, 1877.
John William, Emily, Joseph White, Charles Sumner and Sarah Ann.
(IX) John William, first son of Rev. Gideon and Polly (Dunham) Perkins, was born in Woodstock Aug. 15, 1827, died March 25, 1872. He and his brother, Joseph White Perkins, were known and prosperous merchants in Lewiston.
He married, in Auburn, Nov. 17, 1852, Martha McKenny, who was born in Limington, Maine, Jan. 16, 1833, and died in Auburn Oct. 13, 1867, aged thirty-four years. She was the daughter of Henry and Ruth (Parker) McKenny, of Limington.
Ardelia McKenny, William Blair and John Carroll, all born in Auburn.
John William Perkins was prominent in the public life of Auburn, serving terms in the city government and in the state legislature.
(X) John Carroll, second son of John W. and Martha (McKenny) Perkins, was born in Auburn, Maine, June 6, 1862, and was educated in the common schools of Auburn and Lewiston, where he went to reside on the death of his father in 1872. He graduated at Nichols Latin school, Lewiston, 1878, and Bates College, 1882, receiving the degree of Master of Arts in 1885. He taught the West Lebanon Academy, 1882-83, and from 1883-86 was a teacher in the Roxbury Latin school in Boston. The following year he spent in Germany, matriculating at the universities of Berlin and Marburg.
Returning to America, he entered the Harvard Divinity school, Cambridge, Mass., and in 1891 received the school degree of Bachelor of Sacred Theology and the university degree of Master of Arts. Sept. 10, 1891, he was ordained and installed colleague pastor with the Rev. Thomas Hill, D.D., but the First Parish (Unitarian) of Portland, Maine, becoming the pastor at the death of Thomas Hill. In 1904 Bowdoin College gave him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.
He is a member of the Maine Historical Society, Mayflower Society, Sons of the American Revolution, Colonial Society of Massachusetts, vice-president of Portland Society of Natural History, vice-president of Portland Fraternety Club and secretary of the Maine Unitarian Conference.
He married, in Boston, June 28, 1892, Edith Burnside, of Roxbury, Mass., daughter of Elias Tarbox and Emily Jose Milliken.
This family is of Massachusetts derivative, and the forefathers handed down some good blood to their posterity, which accounts for the high stand the present generation is taking in the affairs of the state. It is numerous all over Maine, especially along the line of the Grand Trunk railway and in the Kennebec valley.
(I) Jeremiah Perkins was born in Brooksville, Hancock county, Maine, in 1815 and died in 1885. Married Prudence Blodgett.
Amos, George, William, Charles H., John, Prudence, Mary and Anna.
(II) Charles H., fourth son of Jeremiah and Prudence (Blodgett) Perkins, was born in Brooksville, Maine, Jan. 12, 1840. He was educated in the common schools, and went to sea when he was thirteen years of age, remaining in that occupation for twenty-five years. He commanded a vessel to the West Indies and to South America. Upon leaving the sea he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Brooksville and became manager of the Grange Store in 1882.
He was a Republican in politics, served on the board of selectmen, as tax collector, and represented his town in the legislature in 1880-81. He was made a Mason at Castine, later joining the lodge at Brooksville.
Capt. Perkins married, Jan. 1, 1861, Ruth H. Grindle, born in Sedgwick, Maine, April 1, 1841.
1. May P., married Edgar L. Roberts, of Brooksville; one child, Prudence.
2. Cora A., died at twenty-nine years, unmarried.
3. Izetta B., died aged twenty-five, unmarried.
4. Charles N., see forward.
5. Emma F., died aged nineteen, unmarried.
6. DeForest H., district superintendent schools at Skowhegan, Maine; married Jennie Powers, of Dyer Brook; one child, Frederick.
7. Harvey L., of Eden, Mt. Desert Island, stone cutter by trade; married and has three children.
8. Fred J., lives on old home farm at Brooksville; married Laura Tapley, of Brooksville; two children, Ruth and Henry.
9. Maurice W., of Benton, married and has two children; farmer.
10. Alice E., principal grammar department Spelman Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia.
Captain Perkins died June 1, 1907, and his wife died in 1888.
(III) Professor Charles N., first son of Capt. Charles H. and Ruth H. (Grindle) Perkins, was born in Brooksville, Maine, Oct. 16, 1868. He received his preliminary education in Brooksville and fitted for college at the East Maine Conference Seminary at Bucksport, graduating from Colby College in 1893. After graduation he was principal of the high school at Presque Isle and taught at North Brookfield and Warren, Mass.
He came to Brewer, Maine, in 1906, as principal of the high school and superintendent of schools. In 1908 he was elected district su;perintendent of schools, towns of Brewer and Veazie. He is one of the leading men in educational affairs in Maine, highly esteemed in the community in which he lives, always ready to assist in forwarding all good causes.
He is a Republican. Professor Perkins belongs to Quaboag Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Warren, Mass., and is a member of the Baptist church in Brewer.
He married, July 12, 1893, Lida Estella, daughter of Rev. Seth and Charlotte (Chase) Benson, of Paris, Maine.
1. Margaret Ella, born in Presque Isle, Maine, Dec. 4, 1896.
2. Herbert Armond, born in North Brookfield, Mass., Oct. 9, 1900.
3. Ruth Charlotte, born in North Brookfield, Mass., July 7, 1902.
4. Theodore Benson, born in Warren, Mass., Sept. 6, 1905.
(I) Thomas Perkins, immigrant ancestor, born in England about 1600, died in York county, Maine, 1661. He lived either at Scarborough or Cape Porpoise. His inventory amounted to thirty pounds. He bought a lot of land at Blue Point, of Capt. Bonington.
(II) Thomas (2), son of Thomas (1) Perkins, was born in 1628, probably in England. He was living in Dover, N. H., in 1665; took the oath of fidelity and allegiance in 1660. He gave land to his son Nathaniel by deed dated April 25, 1693. In 1681 he had a grant of land at Cape Porpoise, Maine.
1. Captain Thomas, mentioned below.
(III) Captain Thomas (3), son of Thomas (2) Perkins, was born about 1660. The land granted to his father in 1681 was later confirmed to him. He lived in Portsmouth and was allotted a seat in the meeting-house there in 1693. He removed to Portsmouth, or the adjacent town of Greenland, and settled in Kennebunkport in 1720. He bought of the heirs of William Reynolds all the land between Kennebunk river and a line running from Bass Cove through the great pond to the sea. He had to pay extra for his property on account of a defective tiele. As an heir of Thomas Perkins, he was a proprietor of the town and had land laid out to him in 1720. He built a garrison house by Butler's rocks, near the site of William Reynolds' house. He is called Captain Thomas Perkins in the records. One difficulty in the genealogy of this family is the fact that another Thomas Perkins came about the same time to Kennebunkport. Each had a son Thomas, a grandson Thomas, and a great-grandson Thomas; each of the pioneers held the same offices in the town. The other Thomas was an ensign, came from Topsfield, Mass., about 1719, was town clerk, tavern-keeper many years; married Mary Wildes, of Topsfield, who died April 1, 1742, aged fifty-seven.
Children of Capt. Thomas Perkins, b. in Portsmouth, N. H. or vicinity:
1. John, has no descendants in Kennebunk.
2. Thomas Jr., mentioned below.
3. Lemuel, married Hannah Hutchins; no children.
4. Samuel, married Willie Bond, and had son Thomas.
5. George, married Hannah Hutchins.
8. Mary, married George Murphy.
9. Chasy, married James Deshon.
(IV) Thomas (4), son of Thomas (3) Perkins, was born in Portsmouth or Greenland about 1700; married Lydia Harding. He died Feb. 22, 1852, aged fifty-two. He was in the French and Indians war with his company at Louisburg in 1745; was wrecked going to Annapolis in 1747. He erected his house at Kennebunkport about 1730. The place is now (1908) owned by Tristram J. Perkins, or his heirs. Tradition tells us that he was a king's surveyor.
1. Eliphalet, died 1776; married Mary Perkins, daughter of Ensign Thomas Perkins.
2. Abner, married Sally Robinson; children: i. Daniel, married Hannah Stone and Eunice Thompson; ii. Abner Jr., married Mary Stone; iii. Jotham, married Olive Hill; iv. Stephen, married Alice Stone; v. Jacob, married Elizabeth Hill; vi. Anna, married James D. Hill - all married from the two families Hill and Stone.
3. John, married Mehitable Goodwin, only child, Hitty, married General John Lord.
4. Thomas, mentioned below.
5. George, married Mary Lord, removed to Wells; had a large family.
6. James, married (first) Sally Hovey, (second) Hannah Cort. children: James, Ruth, Thomas, John, Joshua (died at sea); Ebenezer, Lydia, Lucy; children of 2d wife: Joshua, Tristram J., Mary.
7. Mary, married Samuel Robinson.
(V) Thomas (5), son of Thomas (4) Perkins, was born in 1732 and died at Kennebunkport, Nov. 8, 1820, aged eighty-eight. He married Sarah Baxter, who died Dec. 26, 1811, aged seventy years.
1. Esther, married Thomas Perkins, of the other Perkins family.
2. Lydia, married John Blunt.
3. Thomas, mentioned below.
4. Sarah, married Benjamin Perkins and John Blunt.
6. Samuel Bourne.
7. John, married Sally Low.
(VI) Thomas (6), son of Thomas (5) Perkins, was born in Kennebunkport about 1770. In 1798 the ship "Sally," of Kennebunkport, was owned by Thomas Perkins of Kennebunkport and Thomas Perkins Jr. The brig "Fanny" in the same year was owned by Joseph Perkins. Thomas Perkins and others. Thomas Perkins, one of the several mentioned, was a representative to the general court in 1768 and later.
He married Olive Perkins.
Abner Francis and Thomas Simon (mentioned below).
(VII) Thomas Simon, son of Thomas (6) Perkins, was born in Kennebunkport, died there in 1855. He was educated in the public schools of Kennebunkport, but early in life began to follow the sea. He conducted a small farm for a time, but again returned to the life of a mariner, and died at New Orleans while on a voyage.
In politics he was a Democrat. He married (second) Mary Mann, born at Dayton, Maine, 1816, died 1883.
Child of 1st wife:
1. Edward, died in 1847.
Children of 2d wife:
2. Francis Abner, enlisted in the Fourteenth Regiment of Maine Volunteers in the civil war.
3. Thomas Jefferson, enlisted in the Fifteenth Maine Volunteer Regiment and died in the serivce during the civil war, in South Carolina.
4. Susan, mentioned below.
(VIII) Susan, daughter of Thomas Simon Perkins, was born in Kennebunkport, Maine, 1849, and was reared in Dayton, Maine, where she attended the public schools.
She married, October, 1882, Warren Bryant, who was born in Biddeford, Maine, 1831, died in 1896. He was educated in the public schools of Biddeford and at Thornton Academy, of Saco, Maine. He was a dealer in paints and oils at Saco, spending his later years in attending to his real estate, in which he invested heavily. He was a Democrat in politics and served on the board of aldermen for some years.
The only child of Warren and Susan (Perkins) Bryant, is Ethel Myra Bryant, born December, 1890, attending Thornton Academy for two years, and is now a student in St. Gabriel's school, Peekskill, New York.