Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


The name of Paine, in an early form, came to England with the Normans and William the Conqueror. In Normandy, a millenium ago, the Latin word "Paganus" had the meaning of "villager," and since the villagers resisted conversion to Christianity longer than the denizens of the cities, it acquired the added significance of "unbeliever." Having become a surname, it passed through the changes from Paganus to Pagan, Pagen, Payen, Payne, Paine, and as Pagen it is mentioned many times in William's Inventory of Domesday.
The first two generations of the American family (Paines of the Ipswich branch), used the coat-of-arms known in English works of heraldry as "The Arms of Payne of Market Bosworth, county of Leicester, and of the county of Suffolk." They were in the fifteenth century those of Sir Thomas Payne, Knight of Market Bosworth, and of his family only.
In the "Visitation" of Suffolk county, a work originally compiled in 1561, and subsequently extended, is found considerable matter treating upon this and other old families. According to various writers they were residents in Leicestershire, upon the famous field of Bosworth, where the last great battle of the Roses was fought, being one of the places where Pagen of Domesday fame had land.

(I) The first of the family, according to the list in the "Visitation," was Sir Thomas Payne, knight of Market Bosworth, who married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Pultney, knight. He must have been born in the early part of the fifteenth century, and had three sons, Robert, William and Edmund.

(II) Edmund, youngest son of Sir Thomas Payne, was alive in 1540, the thirty-second year of the reign of Henry VIII, at which time he had a grandson, then a rich and active man. His place of residence was undoubtedly at his place of birth, Bosworth. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Walton, of Leicester county, and had several sons.

(III) William, eldest son and heir of Edmund Paine, removed to Suffolk county, and took up his residence at Hengrave, in that shire. He carried with him the use of his grandfather's coat-of-arms, and which came to be known in heraldric history as a coat or crest of Lester, and Suffolk county, and is especially known as belonging to "Payne of Hengrave." He was bailiff of the manor in the service of Edward Strafford, Duke of Buckingham. After the death of the latter, he retired to private life.
He married Marjorie, daughter of Thomas Ash.
Henry, John, Thomas, George, Nicholas, Edward, Anthony, Agatha, Elizabeth, Agnes, Anna and Frances.

(IV) Anthony, seventh son of William and Marjorie (Ash) Paine, lived at Bury Saint Edmunds, at the manor of Nowton, settled upon him by his eldest brother, who never married. He was buried at Nowton, March 4, 1606. In his will made in the previous month he disposed of various properties.
He married Martha Castell, who died June 28, 1603.
John, Thomas, William and Ann.

(V) William (2), third son of Anthony and Martha (Castell) Paine, was baptized Dec. 2, 1555, at Saint Mary's Church, Nowton. He lived at Nowton, parish of Bury Saint Edmunds, one of the principal towns of Suffolk county. He purchased the manor of Nowton for three thousand pounds, and thus became lod of the manor, and as such held his first court there Oct. 6, 1609, in the sixth year of James VI. His last court was in 1621, after which he sold out to Sir Daniel DeLigne.
The public records show that he was buried Nov. 21, 1648, and that his wife was buried April 29, previous. He must have been at the time of his death eighty-three years of age. The records do not establish the fact that the American ancestor was the son of this William Paine, but every circumstance points to that fact. Among the most consipcuous of these is the use of the coat-of-arms which belonged exclusively to the line.

(I) William (3), with whom the American history of the family begins, was born in Suffolk, England, in 1698-99, probably in the parish of Nowton. He was presumably the son of William Paine, lord of the manor of that place, already stated.
He came to America in the ship "Increase," Robert Lee, master, which sailed from London in April, 1635. He was then thirty-seven years of age, and his wife Ann forty years of age. They were accompalied by five children, the eldest eleven years of age and the youngest eight weeks old. They landed at Boston, and at once took up their residence in Watertown, where he was one of the earliest inhabitants and was allowed land July 25, 1636. This allotment consisted of seventy acres, which wa the common share of each of the one hundred inhabitants. His location was on the present (1908) Washington street, about one-half mile west of Fresh pond. He soon acquired other tracts of land and became a large landholder. On July 4, 1639, with his brother Robert and some others, he procured a grant of land at Ipswich, with leave to settle a village, and they immediately removed thither, and he continued to reside there about sixteen years, aiding largely in building up the village and town.
He was admitted freeman of the colony May 13, 1640, and had the title of "Mr.," which was rare among the colonists in those days. His name is found upon the legislative record of the colony from this time. In that year he was elected one of the tax commissioners; in 1642 was appointed to establish the limites of Northend, and about the same time to settle the bounds of Hampton and Colchester; in 1643 was on a committee to determine the bounds of Exeter and Hampton, and in 1646 and 1651 to settle matters in the latter town. In 1652, he was on a committee to settle the line of Dover and Exeter, and in 1655 between Hampton and Salisbury. In 1645 he was a member of the company incorporated by the general court, known as the "free adventurers," for the purpose of advancing the settlement of various sections. This enterprise he prosecuted throughout his life, and it was afterward fostered by his son John. At its beginning a grant was made to the company of a township of land about fifty miles west of Springfield, near Fort Oragne, on the Hudson river. The Dutch then held possession of the fort and river, and one of the last acts of Payne's life was a petition to the legislature to open negotiations with the Dutch government for free navigation of the river to New York.
William Payne was very intimate with the governors, Winthrop and Dudley, fathers and sons of Massachusetts and Connecticut, and a numerous correspondence between him and the Winthrops is preserved, After the death of Governor Dudley, Mr. Payne became the principal owner of the mills at Watertown, which had been the first milling enterprise in New England. It was at first a corn mill only, but was afterwards enlarged so as to embrace also a fulling mill. In course of time Mr. Payne became the owner of three-fourths of the Lynn Iron Works, though his connection with Governor Winthrop. This was the first undertaking of the kind on this continent. He was also interested in a similar enterprise in Braintree, and the inventory of his estate showed he died in possession of three-fourths of it. He was also interested in the iron works at New Haven, of which Governor John Winthrop junior was an owner. While Mr. Payne did not become an owner, he was for many years interested in the operation of its business. He was also a part owner in five vessels at the time of his death, and in the lead mines at Sturbridge.
He was an extensive owner of lands in various parts of the country, including the famous Thompson Island, in Boston Harbor, now (1908) the location of the farm school. He was interested in trade at Portsmouth and other points, and his farm lands were extensive in Topsfield, Rowley, Salem, and a mill privilege in Exeter. He was not only interested in manufacturing and farming, but during the last few years of his life was an active merchant in Boston, having a large credit and conducting business on a very estensive scale.
The inventory of his eatate shows that he carried an immense stock of every variety of goods that could be disired in the new country. He appears to have been very liberal in giving credit to his neighbors and customers, and his estate at death included many doubtful and worthless accounts. It is not alone as a buiness man that Mr. Payne was distinguished. He was a sincere professor of religion as indicated both by his character and his writings. His property was ever treated as a means of advancing public weal and it would seem that his investments were made with an eye to that object. He was public-spirited and a liberal contributor to the cause of education. In the promotion of this he was one of the most active of the small number of men who at that early day took measures to establish and endow a free school at Ipswich. This has continued to exist, and is today working upon the fund thus established two and one-half centuries ago.
In his will he made a bequest of a lot of land at the mouth of Ipswich to be held inaienable forever, and this land is still occupied by an old school house on Payne street, which has for more than two centuries been devoted to educaiton.
Mr. Payne died Oct. 10, 1660, leaving a will executed about one week previously. He was evidently very weak at this time, as the signature is very illegible. In it a donation of twenty pounds is made to Harvard College, and various bequests to clergymen in the vicinity of Boston. His wife Ann survied him, but he outlived all his children except one.
Susan, William, Hannah, John and Daniel.

(II) John, second son of William (2) and Ann Payne, and the only one who left posterity, was born in 1632, in England, and was three years old when he accompanied his parents to America. He resided many years in Boston, and carried forward the enterprise begun by his father. He was active in promoting commerce, and received large grants of land for his service in seeking open navigation of the Hudson river and for other public services. These lands were on the Hudson river. His service to the English government in rebuilding Fort James, at the foot of Manhattan Island, secured him great favor with the local governor and the powers at home, in expression of which he was made sole owner and governor for life of Prudence Island, in Naragansett Bay, with courts and other machinery of a free state, in which religon was made free. This grant was alleged to conflict with previous Indian grants, and he was arrested by the Rhode Island authorities and convicted of setting up a foreign government, but was allowed his liberty on giving up his claim.
He died at sea in 1675. It is proable that he lost his property in litigation, as no record of an estate is found. He was married in 1659, to Sarah, daughter of Richard Parker, and received a tract of land from the last named as potion of his bride. She probably died before her husband.
William, Sarah, Hannah, Anna and Elizabeth.

(III) William (4), only son of John and Sarah (Parker) Payne, was born March 15, 1664, probably in Boston, and passed most of his life in Malden, where he died April 14, 1741. He married March 9, 1691, Ruth Grover, born 1667, died April 11, 1722. They had sons: William and John.

(IV) William (5), elder son of William (4) and Ruth (Grover) Payne, was born Nov. 16, 1692, presumably in Malden, and died Jan. 29, 1784, in Norton, Mass. He was a man of strong constitution and great vigor of mind, determined and obstinate. Some authorities give him credit for living one hundred and five years, and the date of his birth is not absolutely certain, but the above is approximately correct. When Washington's army was stationed in front of Boston he was eighty-three years old, and when asked why he visited camp, he replied: "I come to encourage my son and grandsons, and see that they do their duty to their country."
He resided in that part of Norton which is now Mansfield, at a time when it was infested with wild animals, and slaughtered many wolves.
He married (first) April 18, 1717, Tabitha Waite, born 1692, died April 7, 1721, leaving a son William. He married (second) Nov. 6, 1722, Elizabeth Sweetsir, a widow. Three of their children are recorded in Malden:
Elizabeth, Edward and Thomas, the latter born 1726.
No record appears of the others except that family tradition gives two, Ruth and Susannah.
It is probable that there were two others.

(V) William (6), son of William (5) and Tabitha (Waite) Paine, was born in Malden, June 25, 1720, died July 17, 1811, at over ninety years of age. He married Mary Bull, of Foxboro, in 1743. She died Feb., 1810. They had a married life of sixty-seven years, and had twelve children.
William was a man of great industry and perseverance, of great firmness and independence, zealous in religious matters, and a loyal patriot. He marched with his aged father and two or three of his own sons to Boston at the outbreak of the war. It is said several of his sons at one time and another were engaged in it. It is said of him: "He did more with his own hands to make this wilderness blossom as a rose than any other man in town, and notwithstanding his extreme old age he continued to work till within a few days of his death."
His wife is described as a "woman of remarkable strength of mind and body, strong mentally and physically, strong in her friendships and strong in her prejudices, a woman of superior judgment, but somewhat of a tyrant, of great personal industry, and yet a great reader. Her personal appearance was prepossessing, with impressive eyes, bright and sparkling to the last."
William, b. Nov. 13, 1743.
Mary, died in infancy.
John, b. Aug. 20, 1746.
Lemuel, b. April 4, 1748.
Jacob, b. Feb. 7, 1750.
James, Sept. 8, 1753.
Abiel, b. Nov. 20, 1754.
Isaac, died in infancy.
Asa, b. 1758.
Jerusha, b. March 10, 1760, never married.
Hannah, b. Aug. 9, 1763, never married.

(VI) Lemuel, son of William (6) and Mary (Bull) Paine, was born April 4, 1748. He married Rachel Carpenter, born Jan. 31, 1757, died Sept., 1828. Lemuel died at Foxboro, Dec. 22, 1794.
Lemuel, b. Dec. 2, 1777, a famous attorney of Maine, and father of Henry W. Paine, of Cambridge, Mass.
Otis, b. Aug. 16, 1799, an inventor and mechanical genius.
Asa, b. July 28, 1781, died in boyhood.
Frederick, b. Oct. 25, 1785, father of Albert W.
Lucas, b. Feb. 28, 1785, died same day.
Rachel, b. Aug. 2, 1789, Mrs. Harvery Partridge.
After the death of Lemuel, hs widow married (second) Deacon Isaac Platt, by whom she had three children.

(VII) Frederick, son of Lemuel and Rachel (Carpenter) Paine, was born in Foxboro, Mass., Nov. 21, 1785, died March 12, 1857. He married Sept. 21, 1809, Abiel Ware, born in Wrentham Dec. 6, 1787, died Jan. 12, 1852. Frederick removed to Winslow, Maine, with his brother Lemuel, and there resided the remainder of his life. He was a cooper by trade, but he devoted a large portion of his time to agricultural pursuits.
In 1815 he was appointed postmaster of Winslow, a place he held for thirty years. He was for many years treasurer of the town. In 1808 his wife and nother couple alone joined to form a church of the Congregational order, and were both ever afterward active members. Their house was always open for the entertainment of all ministers. They were constant churchgoers, their pew being long never vacant and seldom less than full. Their religion was free from bigotry, liberal in practice, and charitable toward all.
Charles Frederick, Albert Ware, Benjamin Crowningshield, Caroline Matilda, Harriet Newall, Timothy Otis, the learned restorer of Solomon's Temple; Charlotte Elizabeth, Sarah Jane.

(VIII) Albert Ware, son of Frederick and Abiel (Ware) Paine, was born at Winslow, Maine, Aug. 16, 1812. He was graduated from Waterville College, class of 1832. He studied law with Hon. Thomas Riche and Governor Samuel Wells, and was admitted to practice as an attorney at law in 1835, opening an office in Bangor, Maine. Here he ever afterward resided. Was admitted to practice in the supreme court of the United States at Washington, Feb. 16, 1853, and continued without any intermission busily engaged in the practice of his profession until his death, Dec. 3, 1907, aged ninety-five years three months seventeen days.
July 9, 1840, he married Mary Jones Hale, a descendant of Rev. John Hale, the early pastor of the church in Beverly and Salem, Mass., who had so much to do with dispelling the Salem Withcraft delusion. She was born May 8, 1816, and died April 10, 1901, after a most lovely married life of sixty-one years. She was a woman of great intelligence, charming manner, beautiful in face and expression, retaining the charm and freshness of youth until the last in an unusual degree.
Four daughters were born to Albert W. and Mary J. (Hale) Paine:
Mary Abby, b. April 1, 1841.
Selma Ware, b. Dec. 24, 1847.
Lydia Augusta, b. Jan. 10, 1850.
Eugenia Hale, b. May 1, 1853.
Three of the daughters remained at home with their parents, where they still (1908) reside.
Lydia Augusta married Oct. 29, 1872, Henry H. Carter of Boston; they have two children, Albert Paine, b. Dec. 13, 1873, and Martha, b. Jan. 1, 1876.
The passing hours of Dec. 3, 1907, marked the closing scenes of the life of Albert Ware Paine, the most remarkable man of that bright galaxy of legal stars who gave to the bar of Maine such a commanding position in judicial history. For seventy-two years since 1835, he had been in the practice of his loved profession, and for at least seventy of those years in constant, active, untiring practice before local, circuit, state, supreme and U.S. supreme courts. Even the last two years were not spent in idleness. He retained a seat in his old office and looked after the interests of a few old clients (principally estates), attended to his own personal affairs, wrote and published a work on "Mt. Hope Cemetery," and wrote often for the newspapers and periodicals to which he was a welcome contributor. Only a very few days efore he laid down his pen forever, a letter written by him appeared in a Boston paper, in which he called on President Roosevelt to accept another term. His capacity for work was enormous. Said one of his contemporaries, "I do not see how he can accomplish so much; how does he do it?" Not only in the application and the administration of law was he great and skilful, but deeply interested and useful was he in the enactment of new laws which would tend to a better application of the principles of justice, for to him law meant justice, and the statutes of not only Maine, but the whole world are enriched by one enactment, the product of his brain and pen.
Mr. Paine was the author of many laws and amendments. Among others he drafted, had presented and effected the enactment of the following statues: An act to abolish the distinction between counsellors and attorneys at law; an act to exempt stockholders of corporations from personal liability; an act providing for compulsory fire inquests; acts relating to savings bank law; an act relating to taxation of insurance companies; an act to establish an insurance department; an act to exempt insurance policies from U. S. bankruptcy proceedings; an act to protect family burying grounds.
Mr. Paien was also msot largely instrumental in originating and passing a beneficent law - that allowing criminals to testify in their own behalf. Before 1864, no criminal could utter a word in his own defense in any court of law in the world. But it must be, where the injustice and the need of reform are so great, that more than one would independently recognize that need, and strive or wish to reform it; and, as the authorship of this law is claimed for another, Mr. Paine's connection with it should be simply and exactly stated. Its history extends over many years.
During his early life in Winslow he became cognizant of the case of a boy who had been unjustly accused, convicted and sentenced for a theft he had not committed, but the proof of it was not found until he had lived a convict for three years, and had died with the shadow of disgrace upon him. It could not have happened had the criminal been allowed to tesitify in his own behalf. This, then, was Mr. Paine's inspiration; a most painful and impressive experience before his college life was ended; a deep conviction that justice was not justice under such conditions - a conviction, however, which he allowed twenty years of legal practice and constant advocacy to assure before he thought the time ripe for accomplishment of reform.
In 1859 Mr. Paine drafted his bill, carried it to Augusta, and caused it to be presented by Mr. A. G. Lebroke, a former law student of his, and a member of the House of Representatives. There he labored hard for its passage only to see it go down in defeat. Nothing daunted, he returned in 1860, 1861, 1862 and 1863, causing the subject to be introduced again and referred to a committee before which he argued the case each year anew. Again he went in 1864. During that session the proposed law became a matter of much interest, and met the support of the public quite generally. Other friends also had been raised to favor the bill (among them Mr. Vinton, of Grey, whose name has since been used in connection with it), and, although not without strong opposition, it was passed at that session. After six years of labor, dating from the time the first bill was introduced, a law was passed providing that no person in the state of Maine could be sent to the gallows or to prison without having the right to tell his story to the jury.
After the success in Maine, Mr. Paine brought the subject before the people by correspondence with the Boston Daily Advertiser, and John Quincy Adams requested him "to write out an ideal statute containing the provision of the Maine Criminal law." He complied. Mr. Adams immediately presented to the Massachusetts House what had been written, uring upon it the need of such a statute. It met with instant favor, and, with an addition, was carried the very forenoon of its presentation. Here ended Mr. Paine's direct service in the cause, but the law itself spread to other states, to the Canadian Provinces, and on to England and France.
The authorship of this law is claimed for Chief Justice Appleton. Judge Appleton was Mr. Paine's deeply honored friend, and it must be that the advoacy, in written and spoken words, of one of Judge Appleton's eminence and character, wide influence and judicial experience, one so universally esteemed and trusted, was a very potent factor in forming that public opnion on which is based the passage of a law.
Mr. Paine was also working to procure an act to legalize voting by proxy in public elections. He had also agitated and had interested such men as Senator Hoar, of Mass., in an amendment to the Constitutuion of the United States, providing for the succession to the Presidency in the event of the death of the President elect before Inauguration Day. The joint resolution for this constitutional amendment, in which Senator Hoar embodied the resolution originated and sent him by Mr. Paine, and which he, in committee, amended only to make it apply also to another closely allied defect to be remedied, passed the senate May 4, 1898. In the House of Representatives it was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, May 5th, but was never voted on in the House iteself, and Mr. Paine, with his customary persistency in such mattes, did not cease to urge its passage on senators and representatives, to his very last year.
The public offices held by Mr. Paine were:
Bank and Insurance Examiner, 1869-70; State Insurance Commissioner, 1871-73; Tax Commissioner, 1874; and he was alderman in Bangor in 1861. While holding these offices, Mr. Paine prosecuted his law business, laboring harder and longer. He neglected neither his public nor his private business. While his life was chiefly devoted to his professional duties, he varied them by contributions from his pen to magazines and periodicals. He wrote a great deal on current and legal topics, varying this by an occasional book.
He was a Swedenborgian in religion, and a volume written and published by him, entitled "The New Philosophy," is a book of religious views, esepecially showing the author's belief in the intimate and close relations existing between the inhabitants of the material and the spiritual worlds.
Other works were: "The Paine Genealogy," "History of Mount Hope Cemetery," (this being written in his ninety-fifth year); various Bank and Insurance Commission Reports, and Tax Commission Reports, and he was the only correspondent of the Aroostook War. Aside from his official reports, his writings were his recreation. In his profession, he argued cases before the Supreme Court in Washington, also before the Circuit and District Courts of the U. S., and before the State Courts in Mass., New Hampshire, New York and Minnesota. The whole number of cases he argued was in excess of five hundred, more than three hundred of which are reported in the "Maine Reports." He tried or argued cases before every Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, the District Court and the Supreme Court of Maine, who has been seated on the bench since Maine became a state, excepting only one who left the bench before Mr. Paine's admission. His cases were notable, and the decisions given were of the greatest importance. He tried cases involving question of title respecting almost every dam or mill privilee on the Penobscot river. In fact, all questions of more than ordinary importance found him engaged by one side or the other.
Early in life Mr. Paine resolved to seek or accept no office that would interfere with his work as a lawyer, and this explains why he never held public office. For over forty years he was one of the directors of the Maine Telegraph Company, and in 1876 was elected president. In 1852 he was elected treasurer of the Mt. Hope Cemetery Corporation, holding that position for fifty years. He was senior member of the Penobscot bar, and president, and since 1859 its treasurer and librarian for many years. Many parcels of land in Bangor were in his professional care, and he laid out and named many of the city streets. The Soldiers' Cemetery and Monument were the result of his suggestion.
While attorney for the Land Office, Mr. Paine performed a service to the citizens of Maine that cannot be overestimated, when he secured from a refuse heap in the State House at Boston, Mass., the early records, documents and plans of lands in all parts of Maine. These records involved the titles to lots in Bangor and other towns, and descriptions of early surveys. Two large drygoods boxes of these valuable maps and papers were recovered, but only after legislative and legal steps had been taken to compel Massachusetts to surrender them. They have since been bound into volumes and preserved in the Maine Land Office - a rich inheritance for the citizens, the titles to whose homes is there largely to be found. But for Mr. Paine's zeal these valuable papers would have been irrevocably lost.
Much could be said concerning Mr. Paine's professional life, but the greater part must be left unsaid. [trans note: thank goodness, this has gone on long enough!] Suffice it to say that he always believed in the justice of his cause, and the integrity of his client, and his services were sought and obtained by the very best class of men and corporations. His business was not to tear down and defeat the purpose of existing laws, but to upbuild and prefect where he saw weakness. His life was open and above reproach. One said of him: "I preach Albert W. Paine to the boys." No grander euology could be uttered.
His home was his haven of rest, and "a constant source of happiness and refreshment." He left his professional cares at the office, and in his home and garden (of which he was very fond) obtained social recreation and healthy rest for the duties of the morrow. None ever saw him angry, yet none could intimidate him. "By common consent he was an honest, honorable man, an upright member of society, a model head of a family, a loyal citizen of the Republic, of simple tastes and high ideals."
"Without that bright spark we call genius, he accomplished results by indefatigable labor and industry, what others of a higher order of talent to do." An oil portrait of Mr. Paine hangs in the library of the Supreme Court of Maine. He was a man of most temperate habits in everything. A strong supporter of Maine's prohibitory law, and a total abstainer himself, he was not fanatical in his views nor intolerant of the rights of others. A most independent thinker on religious and political questions, he accorded cheerfully to others the same independent freedom of thought and action. In early days he was anti-slavery in his views. As a Whig, he joined the Republican party at its formation, and always remained true to that party. He was of a most sunny, genial disposition, of a witty and humorous turn of mind, and one who inspired warm friendships. In the latter respect, he gave freely from the depths of a loving heart, and in return received the love and affection of men, as well as the unvarying respect of his colleagues and acquaintances. The character of his age was remarkable (even five years before his death it had become customary to call him the oldest practicing lawyer in the United States, although the truth of such statements cannot be proved absolutely - and the practice was not active), yet the character was but the culmination of a long, fruitful life, true to its own principle of thought and action. While the years greatly impaired his hearing and slightly lessened his memory of unimportant names, they left his step quick, his voice and hand firm, and his eye strong to serve him in reading and writing all day long if need be. He and his pen were very intimate, and they worked with wonderful ease and harmony together. He talked a great deal with thought and wit and sense, and had the unfailing courtesy of his kindliness and his smiling countenance. Yet he usually had, within, some serious project he was brooding. His judgment and mind seemed to strengthen with his rich experience and practice of a lifetime, and he had always a conscious, grateful joy in life itself, and the promise of the life to come.
On being wished a centenary, he said: "Providenc willing, I hope for that favor." In all his fourscore and fifteen years, the day never came, unless a temporary illness, or to the last week, when he did not rise to meet the morn, full of energy and enthusiastic interest for what he had planned to bring to pass that day. He did not load himself with resentments of any kind. He condemned no one, and he always found some well-reasoned allowance for the delinquent. He reserved all his resentment for unjust laws. His ideal of happiness to all eternity was useful service; and, very useful, faithful and full of faith, and joyous - he helped to make the world better for ninety-five years. To no one more truly than to him can be applied the words: He "kept at eve the faith of morn."

Blind Counter