Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Appleton Morgan, compiler of an admirable genealogical work entitled "A Histroy of the Family Morgan," states that "the word Mor-gan is a Cymric derivative, meaning one born by the sea, or a son of the sea (muir, sea; gin, begotten)," and bases this etymology upon the following legend:
King Arthur, a semi-mythical monarch who created the famous Knights of the Round Table, after being defeated by another local potentate, found a safe refuge for his queen on the coast of what is now Glacorganshire. There she gave birth to their youngest son, who received the name of "Mor-gan- the man born by the sea; whence Glomorgan - the country of the man born by the sea." The Welsh origin of the Morgans is indisputable, and the author of the above-mentioned work reckons himself to be the twenty-seventh generation in descent from the accepted progenitor of the family, Cadivorfawr, a Welsh chieftain of the eleventh century, who died during the reign of William II (1087-1100). He also cites some evidence to show that the dramatist Shakespeare was related to the Morgans. The American Morgans are descended from immigrants who came from Bristol, England.
(I) Richard Morgan arrived in New England from Wales in the middle of the seventeen century, locating first in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and going from there to Dover, where he was residing in 1659. He subsequently settled in Brentwood, near Exeter, where there is a record of him in 1784, [trans. note: do they really mean 1684?]. and a land conveyance from him to one Peter Coffin shows that he was living there in 1699. The maiden name of his wife is unknown, and according to the records he had but one son, John.
(II) John, son of Richard Morgan, married Mary Powell and had three sons: John, Simeon and another, who was drowned in childhood.
(III) John (2), eldest son of John (1) and Mary (Powell) Morgan, was born in Brentwood and died in 1786. He married Abigail Gove, of Salisbury, Mass.
Joanna, David, Parker, Judith, Elizabeth and Abigail.
The latter became the wife of Benjamin Smith, of Bridgewater, N. H.
(IV) Parker, second son and third child of John (2) and Abigail (Gove) Morgan, was born in Brentwood Dec. 12, 1757. He learned the trade of a carpenter and cabinet-maker, serving his apprenticeship with Ebenezer Clifford in Kensington. In 1776, prior to his majority, he enlisted as a private for one year in Capt. Winborn Adams' company, Col. Enoch Poore's regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, and joining the continental army saw considerable service in the revolutionary war, participating in the battle of Stillwater, Oct. 7, 1777, which resulted in the total defeat of the British army under General Burgoyne. Having received his discharge from the army he served through one voyage on board the privateer "General Mifflin," Capt. Neal, which, while cruising in the Bay of Biscay, captured a British man-of-war, and sailing north as far as Greenland they captured thirteen prizes. The musket he carried while in the continental army is now (1908) in the possession of his grandson, Eustis Parker Morgan, of Saco, and is highly prized as a relic.
After his return he following his trade in Kensington, Exeter, Portsmouth and elsewhere. In 1800 he settled in Gilmanton, N. H., where he resided for more than twenty years, and he died at Meredith Bridge (now Laconia), Oct. 24, 1824. (N. B. The History of Gilmanton states that Parker Morgan was a son of Simeon Morgan, who was drowned at Hampton Beach, when Parker was seven years old, 1764. This is contrary to the record contained in the Morgan Genealogy and is probably erroneous).
Parker Morgan was married June 7, 1781, to Betsey, daughter of Richard Sanborn, of Kensington, and her death occurred Sept. 30, 1838.
1. John, born June 24, 1782, died Sept. 12, 1795.
2. Jeremiah, born April 16, 1784, died Sept. 27, 1856.
3. Betsey, born Jan. 18, 1789, died Sept. 26, 1877.
4. Tappan, born April 3, 1792, died in infancy.
5. Nancy, born April 7, 1796, died April 24, 1824.
6. Charles, see below.
7. Fanny, born Aug. 6, 1801.
8. John Tappan, born Jan. 11, 1804, died April 10, 1845.
(V) Charles, fourth son and sixth child of Parker and Betsey (Sanborn) Morgan, was born at Gilmanton Iron Works, April 30, 1799. Having concluded his studies at the Gilmanton Academy he engaged in the manufacture of carriages and sleighs in connection with farming, but subsequently learned the machinist's trade and followed it for some time in Manchester, now Meredith Bridge. Removing to Laconia he and his business associates puchased a water privilege and enaged in the manufacutre of machinery, erecting a shop for that purpose and carrying on business for a number of years. The plant was afterward transformed into a cotton mill, which was conducted by the Guilford Manufacturing Company.
During the construction of the Boston, Concord & Montreal railroad he acted as assistant engineer, surveying the line from Concord to Wells River, and he was also engaged in laying out public highways, private lands, etc. The latter years of his life were spent in Saco, Maine, and he died in that city Dec. 16, 1882.
In politics he was a Republican, joining that party at its formation and supporting it for the remainder of his life. His fraternal affiliations were with the Masonic order. He was a member of the Congregational church.
Oct. 23, 1825, he married Sarah Ann, of Meredith, N. H., daughter of Noah and Nancy Robinson. She was born Oct., 1806, died in Saco, 1890.
1. Amelia Frances, born May 13, 1826, died in infancy.
2. Eustis Parker, who will be referred to again.
3. Sarah Elizabeth, born Feb. 17, 1830, married H. M. Goodrich, of Nashua, N. H.
4. Charles Carroll, born July 25, 1832, began the practice of law in New York city and removed to Boston.
5. Helen Frances, born June 11, 1834, married Henry F. Aten, of Tacoma, Michigan; died Feb. 26, 1863.
(VI) Eustis Parker, second child and eldest son of Charles and Sarah Ann (Robinson) Morgan, was born in Amoskeag, N. H. April 12, 1828. He was educated in the public schools of Meredith, the Guilford Academy and at the New Hampton Institute, where he pursued a special course in matematics under Professor Knight. Through subsequent study and practical experience he became a mechanical engineer. In 1851 he accepted the position of mechanical engineer and draughtsman of the Saco Waterpower Company, of which S. J. Wehterell was then the agent, and in that responsible capacity was connected with this concern and its successors, the Saco and Pettee Machine Company, for fifty-three consecutive years, retiring in 1902 on account of impaired heatlh. As an expert mechanist and engineer he is widely and favorabley known, and the present flourishing condition of the Saco and Pettee works in mainly the result of his enegy and ability, he having devoted the best years of his life to the development of that plant.
Politically he acts with the Republican party. He is a member of the Congregational church.
Jan. 11, 1860, Mr. Morgan married (first) Clara Augusta, daughter of Enoch and Eliza Warren Lowell, of Saco; she died Jan. 11, 1860. [trans. note: I wonder if the author knew he put her death on her wedding day?] He married (second) July 28, 1864, Lucy Augusta, daughter of James Madison and Charlotte Elizabeth (Noble) Deering, of Saco. Mrs. Morgan's great-grandfather, William Deering, b. Dec. 25, 1748, went from Blue Point, Scarboro, to Waterborough about the year 1770, being the first to make a clearing on Deering Ridge, where he became an extensive farmer. His death occurred Dec. 13, 1829. In 1773 he married Sarah Rumery, probably a daughter of Edward (1) Rumery, of Biddeford. Of this union there were four sons and three daughters. William (2) Deering, Mrs. Morgan's grandfather, was born in Waterborough, March 24, 1776. He was a prominent farmer at Deering Ridge, occupying the homestead and he died there Feb. 7, 1860. He was married Nov. 1, 1806 to Eunice Harper, and she died June 10, 1865. They were parents of eight children: Orinda, James Madison, William H., Jonathan R., Eunice, Joseph G., Davd and Ezekiel. James Madison Deering, Mrs. Morgan's father, was born in Waterborough July 23, 1809. At the age of nineteen he went to Saco, where he became a successful merchant, and he retired from business in 1861. His death occurred in 1871. From 1838 to the time of his death he was a director of the York Bank. He served as chairman of both Republican committees; as county commissioner 1857 to 1863; as postmaster from 1861 to 1866; city treasurer in 1867; mayor of Saco in 1868; and U. S. internal revenus inspector from 1869 to 1871. In 1867 he was appointed to investigate (with others) affairs at the State Insane Asylum at Augusta.
In 1832 he married Charlotte Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Noble, of Saco.
1. Captain John, died April 1905; he was a shipmaster and lumber dealer in Portland; served twice a mayor of Portland, also collector of the port.
2. Lucy Augusta, who became the second wife of Eustis P. Morgan.
3. George, died Sept., 1892; he was a soldier in the war of the rebellion, captain of a company, was taken prisoner and confined in Libby and Andersonville prisons for several months; he was also paymaster in the navy, which position he held to the time of his death.
4. Clara Augusta, born June 4, 1870.
5. Charles, born 1876, died in infancy.
The family of Morgan are of Welsh origin and trace back through many generations to the great Cadwallader and other British and Welsh kinds of the seventh century. The American ancestors, it is said, are descended from Sir William Morgan, of Tredegar, Wales, at whose home Charles I was entertained for two days in 1645. The lineage of Capt. Miles Morgan who settled at Springfield, Mass., is clearly traced in the recent admirable work, "The Family of Morgan by Dr. Appleton Morgan," but no relationship between Capt. Miles and the other emigrants, James, John and William, is noted. That Capt. Miles and James Morgan, of New London, were not brothers seems to be about proven. The Morgans of maine were probably descendants of Miles through his son.
(I) Samuel Morgan was born in Gloucester, Mass. June 10, 1764, and died in Guilford, Maine, May 26, 1843. His occupation was that of sailor in early life, and in later years he engaged in farming. He married Jemima Morehead, who was born in Gloucester, Mass. Sept. 9, 1766. They had eight children, four of whom were born in Gloucester and the four youngest ones in North Yarmouth, Maine, where the family removed about 1800. In 1814 they removed to Guilford, Maine.
2. Lydia, born May 13, 1795.
4. Susan, born Feb. 10, 1798.
5. Samuel, born May 3, 1800.
6. John, born Dec. 3, 1802.
7. William, born Sept. 11, 1805.
8. Amanda, born Dec. 19, 1809.
(II) John, second son of Samuel and Jemima (Morehead) Morgan, was born in North Yarmouth, Maine, Dec. 3, 1902. In 1814 he removed with his father to Guilford, Maine, where he built the first dam on the river and the first mill. He also built a sawmill in the northern part of the town and operated both for a time. He then sold out and carried on a large farm. He was a very successful speculator and held the office of town treasurer from 1850 to 1855.
Mr. Morgan was a Republican in politics, and his church relations were with the Universality society.
He married, at Guilford, Maine, May 5, 1832, Eliza, daughter of Isaac and Betsey (Foster) Herring, of Gloucester, Mass., who was born in Guilford Aug. 21, 1811. Isaac was son of Robert Herring, and grandson of Benjamin Herring, born 1727, who served in the revolutoionary war in Capt. Isaac Parson's company, Col. Joseph Prince's regiment, and who afterward as a privateer was lost at sea. Benjamin Herring was son of Robert Herring, of Gloucester.
1. Ann M., born in Guilford, Maine, June 25, 1833, died Feb. 16, 1892; married Sewall Grover, of Guilford, who died April 18, 1894; they left a daughter Addie, now Mrs. Hartwell Appleby.
2. John, born Jan. 11, 1835, died young.
3. Amanda S., born April 27, 1840, died Oct. 18, 1881; married Seth N. Davis, who died April 7, 1881; children: Harry W., Nellie and Raymond C. Davis.
4. Charles Averill, born July 15, 1842, died 1887; was a farmer of Sangerville; he served in the civil war, Company M, First Maine Cavalry; he married Lydia Briggs, of Parkman, Maine, and had children: Fred A., Mary (died young), Grace.
5. Mary E., born April 30, 1845, died Sept. 1864 ; married G. M. Straw and had one child, died an infant.
6. George William, born Aug. 28, 1847, married (first) Flora More and had daughter, Annie, who married L. J. Coburn, of Mystic, Connecticut; and son John, who died in childhood. married (second) Mary A. Hazeltine and had three sons: Harry H., Edward and Donald W. Morgan.
7. Manley Richards, born Nov. 1, 1850, see forward.
8. Emma A., born March 16, 1854, married Albion W. Ellis, of Gulford, vice-president of Guilford Trust Company; had two children: Myra A., married Clarence M. Drew, and has two children: Ellice A. and Stephen A. Drew; J. Stephen, died in infancy.
(III) Manley Richards, fourth son of John and Eliza (Herring) Morgan, was born in Guilford, Maine, Nov. 1, 1850, died Sept. 18, 1908. He was educated in the town schools and the Bangor Commercial College. He was employed by Daniel P. Wood in the shoe business at Bangor for eight years. In 1875 he went to Colorado and engaged in sheep raising with T. H. Orcutt, which business he followed for about eight years. In 1882 he remvoed to Hillsboro, North Dakota, and engaged in general merchandise business under the firm name of Morgan, Anderson & Company. He was appointed assistant postmaster and later filled the office of postmaster in 1887, when he sold out his business interests and resigned the postmastership. In company with H. W. Davis, present treasurer of Guilford Trust Company, Mr. Morgan then formed a banking business at Church Ferry, North Dakota, and also carried on an extensive lumber business. He was president of the bank, but in 1893 he sold out his North Dakota interest and returned to Guilford, Maine, where he was identified with the First National Bank as director and president. In 1906 the bank was changed from the First National to the Guilford Trust Company, M. R. Morgan, president; A. W. Ellis, vice-president; H. W. Davis, treasurer. Mr. Morgan was also largely interested in the mills of his town and in the wild lands. He held large farming interests and raised blooded horses and thoroughbred sheep.
Mr. Morgan was a Mason, member of Mt. Kisco Lodge, Guilford; Piscataquis, R.A.M., Dover; and Saint John's Commandery, Knights Templar, Bangor. In politics he was a Republican, and was connected with the Hammon Street Congregational Church of Bangor.
"The sudden death of Manley R. Morgan, September 18, 1908, caused deep and general sorrow and all felt that the town had lost a useful, valuable and benevolent citizen and they a genial and well-beloved friend. For years Mr. Morgan had been a leader in every movement touching the uplift of his village and town. He was one of the most generous supporters of all the public institutions, and a liberal subscription in behalf of the public library, now being erected, honors his memory. He was a generous patron of the church and all its benevolences."
Mr. Morgan married, July 3, 1889, Lillian, daughter of John T. Cole, of Kenduskeag, Maine.
Ruth, born May 22, 1893.